WildBlue page on DSLReports

Review by cvisionz See Profile

• Location: Mabelvale,Saline,AR
Good "Live in the sticks? Look no further!"
Bad "I think they lied on the upload speeds."
Overall "This is the best rural broadband internet service you can buy!"
Mail,DNS,News:

Wildblue.net is the best satellite internet service I have ever seen. It is cheaper than all of the other companies, faster than any other satellite internet service (1500 down / 256 up) and has a Fair Access Policy 1,000,000 times better than any other (20GB/month)!

I live out in the country in Mabelvale, AR and had no broadband. :-( After spending forever searching for a solution, I finally stumbled across »www.wildblue.com. One quick call to Razorback Satellite, and Shawn (the owner) had the system installed the next day. The guys over at Razorback Satellite are the most knowledgeable and service oriented people I have ever met. I would do all of my business with them if I could! Did I mention they are running a *FREE INSTALLATION* deal now?

The only negative at all I have found is a little slower upload speed than advertised. On the Pro package I subscribe to, I should be getting up to 256k on the upload. I never reached higher than 100k (average ~ 80k). However, being that other satellite internet companies make you use a phone line modem for upload speeds, I guess 80k is still a plus. Besides, out here in the country, I'd be lucky to push 28.8k up on the stupid phone line.

I can't really tell you what wildblue's service is like, because I haven't had a single outage or problem in the 6 months that I've had it.

If you live in the country, than this is *by far* the best internet service you can get. I PROMISE you broadband happiness.

-Ross-

Comments:

Review by herr_cain See Profile

• Location: Cape Girardeau,Cape Girardeau,MO
Good "Always on. Consistent Speeds. Easily Networkable."
Bad "Seems the NY NOC is not as reliable as the others."
Overall "The next best choice if you can't get cable or DSL."
Mail,DNS,News:

Signed up for the Wildblue Value Pak 512/128 in November. Purchased from a Wildblue dealer, and was one of their earlier installs. They were a little shady about when they'd get equipment, etc. I finally got an install date after a couple weeks of calling. Haggled with the installer over using a pole mount (was going to cost about 120$ extra, bs. went with a house mount instead). Other than that, he did a quality wiring job, but was clueless about any software or computer details afterwards. Not a big deal, as I can more than handle that. I like that the modem is one, self contained unit. Bought myself a Dlink wireless router to hook up to my Cat5 network and laptop. I'll have to say, it works really well. I was skeptical about networking, if the router would drop the connection due to the latency, etc. The other thing I'm happy with is that IP applications work really well over WB, even through my router. File uploads, IM, etc. all work with no odd NAT issues, etc. This ease of networkability is a huge advantage I'd give WB over Direcway systems I've seen in place.

After playing around with IP settings, router settings, and web browsers, it becomes clear that the WB optimizer setting the proxy server is necessary for speedy browsing, even going through a home router. When this is properly set, browsing is pretty darn snappy. If you don't use the proxy, it's only a mediocre experience. Definitely make sure that's set if you have Wildblue.

The connection is 99% of the time very stable, however back around January I had some intermittent connection trouble, which I assume I could attest to the NY Network Center (NOC) having some troubles. I think these are all taken care of now. Even in pretty heavy weather, the connection holds up most of the time, except in really bad thunderstorms (when I usually turn off the computer anyway). The email servers and DNS seem to be very reliable, and I've not had any trouble with them. Tech support seems very knowledgable when I had to call them about the outages in January. They're always American (no communication barrier), and I can give them information such as trace routes and pings and they actually understand and interpret what I'm telling them and do a good job about helping me and notifying the right people to get on the problem. Kudos.

Overall, given the fact that most DSL and cable internet, after all those intro promos are over, cost about 40-50 dollars per month, I consider Wildblue to be a pretty good value at 50 dollars per month. Sure, I could get more speed, but the 512 is enough for my needs. It's honestly enough for the majority of users, in my opinion. It's made my internet experience a whole lot better living out in the country. I have no reservations heartily recommending Wildblue to the people who can't get landline or wireless broadband.

member for 11.2 years, 1154 visits, last login: 4.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by W4DRA See Profile

• Location: Dunnellon,Citrus,FL
Good "No more Dialup speeds. Always online with no disconnects."
Bad "Too much money for what you get. $80.00 for 1500 is high for todays standards."
Overall "But for where I am and no DSL, Cable, and a 2400bps modem connect, its a good deal for me."
Mail,DNS,News:

I have only had WB for about 31/2 weeks, but so far its all that the ads said.
I had to call tech support and the even speak english. Very helpful. kind, and knew how to fix the problem. "Get that from Direcway India".
Now if WB would answer questions you send via e-mail in a timely manner. I been waiting for a week on an answer.

All in All I am very happy with it. I am not sorry for the purchase.

However the Install could have been better if they did all they were supposed to do.
Like marking the coax for TX/RX and a better job on the cable runs instead of making them look like a ocean wave. Also the Pole cost was $75.00 that wasn't brought to my attention until they were here for the install, and then it was too late because I needed it.

All in all its ok except the install...

Dave

member for 11.4 years, 2728 visits, last login: 2.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by mywildblue See Profile

• Location: Russellville,Pope,AR
Good "Speeds remain very close to advertised price."
Bad "I wish they would have kept the FAP as it was."
Overall "When you can not get DSL or Cable, WildBlue is the best choice"
Mail,DNS,News:

The only complaint I have is that you can not get VOIP or play high speed games with WildBlue. But this is the same for all satellite internet companies. You just can not make latency any faster. When you live out in the sticks you have to sacrifice a few things. I am just glad that rural people can now connect to the internet at faster speeds then dial up. I have used all 3 satellite internet systems and WildBlue has been the fastest so far. The Pro pack is only slightly slower then the DSL at work.

Comments:

Review by katie68 See Profile

• Location: Murphy,Cherokee,NC
Good "Gets me where I want to go FAST!"
Bad "Gets me where I want to go FAST!"
Overall "WildBlue or dialup? If you don't want to wait forever, go with WildBlue"
Mail,DNS,News:

I had never, ever been without a fast DSL connection or a wireless connection. Suddenly I move somewhere that has neither. I checked around and thought that DirecWay was my only choice, and I had never heard a positive thing about them.

A friend of mine told me she had WildBlue satellite. I decided to check it out and heard and read lots of good stuff.

Oh yeah, there was the sniffling about the Fair Access Policy, but I've never seen a service or a product that didn't have it's detractors.

I signed up for their Pro-Pak and I have been happy ever since. I do not get on my computer on a daily basis and don't want to know about the technical aspects, I just want it to work.

With WildBlue, if I decide to get online, write some emails to my elected representatives , WildBlue has never let me down. It's there, it's speedy and I love it.

As far as the FAP is concerned, personally I'm glad it's there. I'm pretty tired of the kind of people that always want to cut in line and make sure they get more than you.

That's about it. No technical issues because I wouldn't know one if I fell over it. I have my friend who likes to noodle around with computers so all I have to do is enjoy my travels in cyberspace.

Thank you WildBlue.

Comments:

Review by cornelia57 See Profile

• Location: Murphy,Cherokee,NC
Good "Best Satellite service available"
Bad "Latency"
Overall "Very happy that I was steered in the direction of Wild Blue"
Mail,DNS,News:

WildBlue has lived up to all of my expectations. Prior to WB I was languishing at 28.8 dialup service. Having come from an area that had DSL, this was difficult to deal with.

I was going to get DirecWay when the dealer suggested I wait a month when WildBlue would be available. He suggested it would be a better service and worth the wait. I followed his advice and haven't looked back. I began with their Select-Pak and when I was convinced that the performance was for real I upgraded to the Pro-Pak.

The Fair Access Policy is more than fair and allows WB to provide the best service possible to all of it's customers, not just a few.

My installer was very professional and made sure that everything was as it should be and cleaned up any debris left behind. Rather than just hanging the Dish anywhere he looked for a spot where it would receive an excellent signal but yet be hidden from sight.

I have had service during rain, sleet, snow, thunderstorms and anything else nature has thrown at the dish.

Support has always made call backs to make sure any issues I reported were resolved. The installer checks in and asks how the service is performing.

Customer Service...nice to know some still know what that means.

Comments:

Review by farm_out See Profile

• Location: Chillicothe,Ross,OH
Good "cheapo"
Bad "they lie, the fap sucks, the fap is inaccurate, tech support sucks, wb management sucks"
Overall "it's a scam. no better than starband"

WB is just Starband repackaged

Comments:

Review by jerry533 See Profile

• Location: Nashville,Berrien,GA
Good "none"
Bad "charged me double for one month"
Overall "im sorry i ever got wild blue"

I ordered the 49. dollar package i up graded to the 79 dollar package wild blue charged me 143 dollars for 1 month most expensive ive ever seen i would never tell anyone to get wild blue the the upload speed is very slow .no one will even talk about giving me a credit .I fell like i was robbed without a gun.

Comments:

Review by Geeze See Profile

• Location: Eddyville,Wapello,IA
Good "Much faster than dial-up, no need for a phone line"
Bad "Latency, Signal drops out in severe rain"
Overall "If dail up your only option, I highly recommed this service."
Mail,DNS,News:

Our Wild Blue service was installed two weeks ago. We ordered the service through our local electric coop and are very pleased so far. The person at the coop was very knowledgable and answered all of our questions about the service. The installer was courteous and returned several of my pre installation phone calls. I did my own pole mount and drilled the holes to bring the cable into the house. The installer was on time and had us up and running in an hour and a half. Service so far has been great. The coop or the installer forgot to show us how to access our account and webmail on line so it took a call to WB tech support to get figured out. The tech support people were great and they talk ENGLISH! I don't quite understand why there is a difference if you buy the service directly through WB vs. a coop. We can't log on to the WB main page. We have a special website through the coop to access our webmail and account information. This is kind of confusing because we can't remember the web address. I guess I need to write it down and put it in my wallet so I can access it when I'm away from home. The service has been down twice since we got it. Beam 26 was down for about thirty minutes one evening and the second time we lost the signal for a few minutes during a down pour. I might add that our DirecTV was still working during the rain. There is no way to check signal strength with WB like you can with your satellite TV. I think that is something they should include with the service. All in all we are very pleased with the service and would recommend it to anyone who is looking to replace their dial up service. We eliminated our phone line when we went to Wild Blue. The money we saved by eliminating the home phone and dial up more than covers the cost of WB each month. Don't delay get yours today!

Comments:

Review by SBDWWB See Profile

Good "Good Value"
Bad "Poor Response to E-mail / Poor Customer Support Site"
Overall "I would still highly recommend it to anyone not having other broadband options"
Mail,DNS,News:

I had trouble getting the service because of my remote location without a street address. The people at WB could not understand that some people don't have such addresses. It took 3 weeks of calls and unanswered e-mails when I finally found a customer service person who was intellegent enough to know how to bypass the computer section requiring an address on the sign-up paperwork.

I have not received a reply to my 2 e-mails to customer service about my billing. I have had my service for just a week.

The installation went smoothly and the subcontractor had a 6-hour round-trip drive for my install.

The Internet speeds are good, but I have only averaged 68Kpbs up when 128Kbps is what my Value package states. Download average is 521 when 512 is guaranteed.

Equipment and install price was $379.00 with monthly fees of $49.95

Overall, I would highly recommend WB to anyone who does not have other options for broadband. I had Starband for 4 years and I would NEVER recommend Starband to anyone for any reason.