WildBlue page on DSLReports

Review by Marty Pekar See Profile

• Location: Greenwich,Washington,NY
Good "Fast and smooth operation for light users"
Bad "Awful Fair Access Policy. Poor tech support."
Overall "Not recommended except for very light surfing"
Mail,DNS,News:

For the first 30 days Wildblue is great. It installs easily and runs fast. But once their 30 day guarantee is up and you're committed for the rest of the year YOU WILL BE IN VIOLATION OF THEIR FAP (Fair Access Policy) IF YOU USE ANY KIND OF STREAMING PROGRAM! That means NO LISTENING TO INTERNET RADIO. NO STREAMING STOCK QUOTES. NO WEATHERBUG. NO DOWNLOADING MUSIC WITH ANY KIND OF FREQUENCY. The reason for this is that, unlike Starband and Direcway, Wildblue calculates FAP on a cumulative 30 day basis (instead of an hourly basis). So after 30 days if you've used more than your allotted usage (7500 MB at the regular level) you get FAPPED...cut down to an unusable speed. I tried switching to the Pro level...and still got FAPPED. And I don't even download music! Furthermore their calculations are screwy. I tried shutting down my Wildblue modem and using dialup for 4 days in order to see my 30-day usage go down. It didn't! The 4 days of non-usage should have wiped out 4 days of usage from 30 days earlier. It didn't! Almost daily calls to tech support had me speaking to people who were very nice but couldn't answer any of my questions. Promises that I'd be called back by a more senior tech were lies. I have NEVER had a call back from anyone. If you must use a satellite internet service I highly recommend that you use Direcway or Starband if you do any kind of downloading or streaming.

Comments:

Review by lostsoul187 See Profile

• Location: Schertz,Guadalupe,TX
Good "ordering was nice and painless"
Bad "couldn't locate my addresse had to use old addresse system"
Overall "so far so good...."
Mail,DNS,News:

Ok, I have been in the process of ordering some form of high speed for over 8 months. I finally gave up on the wireless option since the last time they came out they left all their equipment here and never returned. My hopes were high then, and again up they go. I called on March 5 to place my order via telephone and spoke with kim at WILDBLUE around 10am my time. Upon provisioning my order she could not locate my specific addresse in their system. Since the Post Office has changed my mailing addresse in the last couple years we tried the old addresse and BINGO, their it was. So the equipment is ordered, and I am awaiting my installation phone call, no I am not installed yet, but everything has gone so well as of yet that I wanted to start my review as it is going....I will update this when my install date is announced, completed, and with the first set of speed tests.

Comments:

Review by cothrom See Profile

• Location: Greer,Greenville,SC
Good "For what's out there, best price I have seen"
Bad "Capping"
Overall "Good alternative when your choices are lean"
Mail,DNS,News:

I use WildBlue as a back up for Charter HSI, and it sees service about once a week. For the money, it is a great backup service, I can not get DSL in my area so my broad band services are limited. So far, it works and price was far better than directway.

Comments:

Review by hfslayer See Profile

• Location: Palm Beach Gardens,Palm Beach,FL
Good "So far, everything. It's not Bellsouth or Adelphia."
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "It's amazing, im sure it will catch on alot more soon"
Mail,DNS,News:

First off, i live in Palm Beach Gardens, FL. This is a long review, bear with me. This is not normally what i would consider a prime place for satellite internet, seeing that there are cheaper alternatives all around me and all are available. I've had Bellsouth dsl for the past 5 years, the past 2 years of it have been a living hell, i've had nothing but problems and bellsouth doesnt seem like they care about fixing it for me, seeing that i have had 4 techs out at my house in a period of a month, they all said its the same problem and they have to get a line tech to fix it, because the problem isnt local at my house. I haven't heard anything from any of them. 2 months ago i tried to go with Adelphia cable because they are cheap, and i've had 2 installers at my house and none of them are 'allowed to go up in an attic' to run cable to the computer. I canceled the service before i was ever even hooked up. I've been seeing good reviews for WildBlue for a while, the cost is a good amount higher than Bellsouth or Adelphia, but i've always been a firm believer in 'you get what you pay for'. It is 100% truth in this case. I ordered WildBlue Sunday, Feb 19th. On Tuesday the 21st i got 2 calls on my cell phone (my house phone hasnt worked for 2 days, thanks again Bellsouth). One fron WildBlue saying my equipment had shipped out. A few minutes later i got a call from my local installer telling me that when i get my equipment to give them a call and they would come out and get me going. I received my equipment on Thursday the 23rd. I called my installer back and i was setup for Wednesday, March 1st (today). The company that installed my WildBlue service is Florida Totalcom. On the phone I talked to Linda and she was excellent, always kept me up to date on everything going on. I asked her to have the installer call me when he was on his way to my house so i could leave work with time to get home to meet him there. Today i got my call as promised and off i went. My installer's name was Al, he arrived as promised and immediately got started. Honestly one of the nicest guys i've met. It was a very painless install, he took his time, even got me a clean 100% on the signal meter and everything is perfect. As for the service, it is much better than i was expecting. Because of the satellite latency, i was expecting a brief pause after you click links, but it really isnt noticeable, and the speed is amazing. Seeing as i just got the service today, i cant comment on the reliability yet, but i will keep the review updated. Satellite broadband isn't just for people that are trapped in dial-up world, it's also for anybody that gets screwed by their local providers. Enough is enough, it's time to support the people that really care about their customers. I don't think i will be the only one making the jump from cable/dsl to satellite.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 1711 Kbps about 1.7 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 209 kB/s

Tested From:: »testmy.net (main)

Test Time:: Wed Mar 01 2006 22:06:52 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Bottom Line:: 31X faster than 56K 1MB download in 4.9 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 24.71 % faster than the average for host (32.38)

Validation Link:: »testmy.net/stats/id-15IVW68HZ

member for 14.2 years, 265 visits, last login: 8.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by jolycu See Profile

• Location: Bruner,Christian,MO
Good "Much, much, faster than dialup!"
Bad "None, so far"
Overall "Would definitely recommend if you can't get high speed any other way."

I got my system installed 10 days ago, and I couldn't be happier with it. Before all the nay-sayers jump in, DSL or cable is not an option where I live. Cellular isn't an option either. I live between two hills and my cell phone won't work at my home. So, satellite is the only option here. I've looked at Direcway and Starband for a long time, but the initial equipment cost, plus the associated startup costs and monthly fees were just too much. I had never even heard of Wildblue until I got a post card in the mail from Tri Lakes Satellites in Branson, MO. I spent a few days researching Wildblue, then called Tri Lakes on 2/13. They said they would be able to install the system on 2/17, and they were here when they said they would be. It took about 2-1/2 hours and we were up and running! The two installers who came out couldn't have been nicer. I would recommend Tri Lakes to anyone in this area if you are looking for an installer.

I signed up for the Value Pack. There are two of us in my household and I don't see the FAP being an issue for us. I was aware of the FAP change that goes into effect 3/1 before I decided on Wildblue. I can understand why some of you are upset about the changes made, but I still think Wildblue is the best value for me. Maybe when my one year contract is up, DSL will be available here. But until then, Wildblue fills the bill nicely.

As I said, we've been up for ten days now. Our download meter is around 2400mb so far, and that's after downloading several audiobooks from Audible.com and some large security updates from Microsoft. I love the download speeds I'm getting! It used to take most of the night to download one audiobook over dialup and the the first day we had Wildblue, I downloaded three in an hour! Here are my download states from earlier this evening:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 488 Kbps about 0.5 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 60 kB/s

Tested From:: »testmy.net (main)

Test Time:: Mon Feb 27 22:39:05 CST 2006

Bottom Line:: 9X faster than 56K 1MB download in 17.07 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 46.7 % of your hosts average (80.39)

Validation Link:: »testmy.net/stats/id-NIOPZSCHQ

As you can see, the 488Kbps download is pretty close to the advertised speed of up to 512Kbps. Actually, this is the slowest speed of seen so far. The other times I've tested, it's been around the 500Kbps mark.

All in all, I rate my experience so far as Great!

Comments:

Review by blacksheep9 See Profile

• Location: Georgetown,El Dorado,CA
Good "Price and support"
Bad "Satellite solution"
Overall "Best price and service in areas not serviced by cable or DSL"
Mail,DNS,News:

I am a WildBlue dealer/customer and the company has been aces on both fronts.
I have had my system sense September and have not had one outage. Pro pack
with as-advertised speeds. Is my opinion biased? Yes. Does this change anything about the quality of the product? No.

Comments:

Review by just2stoned See Profile

• Location: Spring Hope,Nash,NC
Good "High speed downloads, NOT dial-up!"
Bad "High latency not best for gaming, FAP(fair access policy)"
Overall "If you are sick and tired of 5kb/s downloads, ignore the cost, get it!"
Mail,DNS,News:

I got the pro-pak: 1.5m/256kbps(max 185kb/s/30kb/s actual speeds). This is fantastic since I live in the middle of nowhere. The cable and phone companies just won't flip the bill to bring people like us highspeed at a low cost, so we have a choice, and it's Wildblue. Forget DirecWay period! I may pay $80/month for this speed which is also capped, but hot-damn do I have broadband. I'm a student at a local community college. I can't afford to be lagging behind on technology when I'm in the computers and internet field of study. Suck it up and get it.

The dealer here in eastern NC was very knowledgeable and friendly. I give him props just because it was >40 degrees and rainy the day of my install. He didn't complain one bit and got the job done as fast as possible with minimal problems. A+. The equipment consists of a bigger than DirecTV dish but I kinda like it.

I asked my dealer if I could get a static IP, and he said I could at an extra cost. Wildblue just started doing this so he didn't have all the information on it. You get a dynamic IP with this service.

I've been looking into satellite broadband for a little over a year. I had given up on DirecWay because of their outrageous installation/equipment costs. It wasn't until my boss told me he used dish network and that there were other providers out there. I saw Wildblue and researched it when I got home. I compared it to DirecWay, read a ton of forum posts and deduced that DWay was crap, and Wildblue was 10X better.

Comments:

Review by repulski See Profile

• Location: Logan,Harrison,IA
Good "Faster than dial-up Dish looks cool"
Bad "Level 1 Support Tria failed after 7 days Possibly the FAP"
Overall "Best option at this time .Works as expected"

Install was done on 1/20. No problems discussed a pole mount but decided to go with a roof mount because of line of sight problems. Installer did a good job. He set up my e-mail,made sure my router worked and showed me how to reset my modem. When he left I was happy. On Sunday 1/28 I lost the signal. I reset the modem with no luck. Called wild blue support and spent the next half hour doing what I had allready done. Finally they put in a work ticket and local support called the next day. The installer came out and determined I had a bad tria,replaced it and re-pointed the dish. Since then I haven't had any problems. The installer also gave me his cell to call if I had further problems.

The bottom line on this is it works pretty good. Both of my kids can be online at the same time,surfing is much faster and the phone line isn't tied up.

There is local wireless in my area at about the same price,but I'm in a dead spot and can't get a good signal. Directway cost too much so Wild Blue became my only option to join the 21st century.

Cost was $299.00,free install and a $50.00 trip charge. I ordered the value pak and I'll have to wait and see how the FAP works out for me.

I am on beam 26 and live near Logan IA

member for 8.6 years, 1902 visits, last login: 69 days ago

Comments:

Review by sadandblue See Profile

• Location: Tehachapi,Kern,CA
Good "I'll let you know if it ever works."
Bad "Horrible installer service. Dish died the first time it rained. Moneyback guarantee won't be honored."
Overall "Wild blue is nothing but grief!"
Mail,DNS,News:

We ordered Wild Blue on Dec 20th from Digital Direct Sat Systems in Burbank. The owner said he couldn't install it until January 5th, so we waited. A tech did show up Jan 5th and all seemed fine for 10 days (we were away from home on 5 of these). Then we got some rain and snow and the dish died. After 2 days on the phone with WildBlue "customer service" they agreed to write a service order with the dealer and told me he would call within 48 hours to set up a date. He never called. After 48 hours I was back with customer service who also couldn't reach him and told me to keep trying. Either he didn't answer, his message machine was full, or he just didn't call. After a week of this he finally called me on 23 Jan and said he couldn't get to us until 8 Feb. Yesterday was 8 Feb. At 10am I called the dealer who said the tech was on his way, but had a stop first and would be here about 2pm. I called again at 3:30 and had to leave another message. At 4pm the tech called back to say he couldn't make it today, how about Saturday? We have now had Wildblue for 34 days. It has been broken for 24 of these and we have used it perhaps 30 hours total. Wildblue's Dispute Resolution specialist tells me people we abusing the 30 day moneyback guarantee and their policy now is to not extend it for any reason.

Comments:

Review by mariahfarms See Profile

• Location: Pittsford,Hillsdale,MI
Good "good install (free), decent speeds"
Bad "Fair Access Policy"
Overall "Getting Nervous"
Mail,DNS,News:

Install went well. Poor guys were up on the snow covered roof in 20 degree temps.
They had to get another modem which they had in the truck.
First one didnt seem to work. Took a good 3 hrs but was very tidy and professional.
I got the value pack and was getting downloads in the high 400s.
The problems began when I exceeded the FAP (Fair Access Policy) limits.
Never got the warning e-mail that was supposed to tell me I was at 80%.
They shut me down, not just slowed me down, for over a day.
Their techs didnt have a clue as to what happened and I bet I went through
the same routine with different ones 10+ times. I finally got a level 2 tech
and she actually was able to fix it.
WARNING: Do not exceed the FAP limit or you will be slowed down if not shut down. Now they have decided to reduce the FAP usage from 10,000Mb to 7,500Mb. To me thats like buying a car that they say will get 30mpg and you only get 22. What next...5.000? The 30 day rolling limit sucks too. One heavy day and you'll wait a long time to see it go away. Im nervouse about the company at this point. I think they got too popular and the technology cant keep up with their sales dept. Too bad WB is my only option other than dial-up.