WildBlue page on DSLReports

Review by sdhomestead See Profile

• Location: Belle Fourche,Butte,SD
Good "Installer does a great job getting you up and going"
Bad "I am paying for the fastest speeds and not getting close"
Overall "Undecided and now I am hearing a little more bad news about the stability of the company"
Mail,DNS,News:

I was told I could use VPN with Wild Blue and so far whenever I launch it, connect with my secure ID and then nothing else works. no IM, no IE and certainly no Outlook. Haven't even gotten that far..

If I can not connect via VPN, I am no better off than my Broadband Verizon Card with modem speed out here in the sticks!!!

Need to verify that I am getting the speed I am paying for.

Comments:

Review by Billbob4 See Profile

• Location: Chase City,Mecklenburg,VA
Good "Better than dial up if you are a moderate user."
Bad "No communication from NRTC or Wildblue. Lowered value."
Overall "Be prepared for future reductions in upload and download limits."
Mail,DNS,News:

We were installed on 19th of December and after getting our network issues taken care of (don't expect help from the installer on this) have been pleased with the speed and ability to do things online that are impossible on dialup. We signed up for the value pak and after two weeks use, decided we could stay below the 10 gig limit and were pleased with the value of the product. Without warning the limits on all plans were reduced, thus lowering the value of what we orginally agreed was a good deal for us. I have been more concerned by the absolute silence from WB and the NRTC on these and other issues concerning the service. An email to WB concerning the new FAP limits brought a reply that consisted entirely of a section of the contract that specified that they could change the FAP at any time they liked with the only notice being posted on their website. My feeling is that this is a company that is at a loss when it comes to dealing with its customers.

Comments:

Review by cthrax See Profile

• Location: Templeton,San Luis Obispo,CA
Good "Nice service and speeds compared to other providers"
Bad "First tier technical support clueless, CA installers unreliable"
Overall "If you have nothing else, it's a good choice."
Mail,DNS,News:

I installed the Select Service, 1Meg down 128 up for 69.95. The installation was very smooth, the installers very nice and knowledgeable, I didn't have any complaints for about the first month. Then I ran into the FAP. I went over on the upload cap, and they cranked down my speed to barely above dial-up. Fine, I brought that on myself, but it's very easy to upload over 4gigs in a month. A month after that it got worse.

My internet was down for about a month. I had to call to call technical support three times and go through their hour and half long check that the modem is plugged in. At the end of each of those conversations I was told that I was being forwarded to second tier support and that I should expect a call within 48 hours. At the end of 48 hours I had to call back in to a new person (because the previous person I talked to wasn't there) and they said they were "required" to go through the same steps again even though I had already done it.

It then took 2 more weeks of calling in every 48 hours before I got through to a supervisor. The supervisor was very helpful, but apparently the problem was on the end of the contractor. The contractor was not returning phone calls or emails and when he finally did call in, had no excuse other than being busy.

The contractor setup an appointment with me then came 4 days earlier while I was out of town. Luckily I was able to set something up for someone to be there and they fixed it, but it was very inconvenient.

After all this trouble I recieved one month's service credited to my account and am quite distraught to see that the modem keeps freezing. I'm not looking forward to having to make another service call.

Comments:

Review by motorman222 See Profile

Good "Beats Dailup in Rural areas"
Bad "No communication from the Company serious reduction in service"
Overall "Okay if nothing else availiable Very dissapointed in reductions"

Ordered the pro-pak $79.95 "up to" 1.6mb down and 256k up in late August of 2005. Installers were very courteous and professional. Dish looks nice outside, and the modem is unobtrusive. Simple setup for the Consumer, no software needed on the computer to run the modem.

Service was great for first three months 1.5+mb down and in the 200K uploads consistently. Starting in late November 2005 I had two TRIA failures that were replaced. Speeds began to decline to around 1.0 to 850mb down during prime time. Uploads as low as 50-75k up.

Download speeds are in the 1 to 1.5 mb range now for the most part, however during peak times and some off peak times the pings become horrendous and page loading stalls or fails to complete.

A rolling FAP was instituted Dec. 1st 2005 and then less than 30 days later the original amounts you were allowed each month were reduced by about 25% on each level of service, so I am now paying for the "top" level of service and getting what the middle level of service used to get.

They are reducing consumer access and starting up an "Enterprise Business" Tier. Not quite fair to those that helped get it off the ground and invested in it on the Consumer side.

The good side is Tech support is English and you can understand them, but they have no clue how the new "rolling 30 day" FAP is applied. I was never notified of the changes by Wildblue or my installing co-op (NRTC) had to learn of it from here and other forums.

Bottomline: If you have anything else you can go with that is stable, go with it. If not I would still wait to see if this service is going to survive, and if it does will it have enough left to offer for the price.

Comments:

Review by rselina See Profile

• Location: Socorro,Socorro,NM
Good "Works great most of the time"
Bad "The company is growing rather fast and there are growing pains."
Overall "You have to be willing to deal with some issues, but it's worth it."

I had WB installed on Dec 6th. My installer was professional, they were very communicative before the installation and went the extra mile to do it 'right' once they came out to my house. I should point out the installer traveled over 100 miles to my home at no additional cost. I used Sun Comm Technologies out of Santa Fe NM. I'd recommend them. Ask for Javier to do the installation.

The system worked great for a couple of weeks. I have the Pro Pack and was getting close to 1.6Mbps downloads and respectable uploads in the 180kbps range.

Two weeks ago, the system went to the pits. Downloads were still holding fine per my tests, but upload bandwidth is erratic, swinging from 11kbps to 120kbps but mostly staying in the 25kbps range. It's loosing packets, about 13% based on my ping tests, which results in very poor browsing and uploads. I can't upload files greater than 50kB right now and loading more demanding pages like mapquest is nearly impossible.

I have called tech support and have a work order in. They confirmed that my installation appeared to be working correctly and forwarded my work order to the local access point in Wyoming (the satellite speaks to different access points based on your location).

I started researching the problem for my own satisfaction and it seems MANY customers have been experiencing the same problem the last month or two. Different areas/beams have encountered the issue first, but it's a growing problem. In short, WB does not appear to have enough upload capacity to support their customer base but they are continuously adding new customers! I suggest anyone interested in this service browse the wildblue forum on this site and also wildblue.cc 's forum to determine the present level of technical problems before proceeding wtih a purchase. When the system worked, it worked wonderfully and I think it was worth the money, but the present lack of communication from them and their escalating level of technical problems would make me think twice. I am presently considering cancelling my service if I do not hear back from level II tech support. Level 1 support was curteous and professional, but I hear the second level tech support is hard to reach and does not return calls. I'm waiting to find out if this is true, but so far my experience with tech support has been mostly positive.

I hope to be able to update this review with a positive experience from tech support within the next couple of weeks and to be able to say the system is back to full strength, but based on the recent experiences of others, I won't be holding my breath for that call.

EDIT 2006/01/05: Well, night before last the WY NOC went down for service. When it came back up yesterday, the system was back to normal. Overall I'm happy again, though I never received any call from them and they never informed anyone of the downtime, it just happened. Uploads are not as fast as I'd like them to be, they're in the 180kbps range instead of the 220-230kbps range, but this is nitpicking and we all know performance will go up and down on a shared bandwidth system. In summary, I'm a happy customer again though WB has some communication problems and I'm sure we haven't had the last of the technical difficulties.

Comments:

Review by TLMMaine See Profile

• Location: Southport,Lincoln,ME
Good "Effective install and support, freedom from Dialup in non cable areas"
Bad "Value, no VOIP yet. Ugly dish on house."
Overall "Mass market possible with faster speeds for $, especially if VOIP offered..."
Mail,DNS,News:

Installed in mid coast Maine December 1, after 2 years run around with Cable and DSL (both offer service to within 1/8 mile of my door). Local isp's too, are horrible. This has been great. Cost: $299 for equip, $89 install ($100 off "regular" rate during December), and $49/month.

House is configured for Apple wireless (all devices), and although Apple "non supported" install was seamless and required no technical ability once dish was positioned by technician and WB modum plugged into Airport.

While slightly more expensive than cable, and more than DSL, once the VOIP bugs worked through (slight delays ("latency") in transmission are problematic for voice.), this would be a real winner for a wireless house in any but the most urban locations (especially if the rumors of TV over WB are true). Once I've worked out home security over internet issues (with that provider), there would be no more land lines for anything.

Within hours of install had major snow storm, and the value service was uneffected (508 down, 108 up). Service on phone is quite good (which is rare).

Comments:

Review by malinois See Profile

• Location: Petersburg,Huntingdon,PA
Good "Reliability, speed, availability to remote areas"
Bad "Inherent relative cost of Satellite vs other broadband options"
Overall "Only broadband option for many remote areas"
Mail,DNS,News:

After one month of WildBlue I couldn't be more pleased. The download speeds have exceeded my expectations while the quality of upload speeds vary. Even when the upload speed quality isn't at peak values, surfing the web and retrieving email works. Overall, my experience from initial contact with WildBlue to the install to the continuous connection has been awesome! We had a fairly heavy snow recently and my connection went unbroken.

Beats dialup!!!

member for 11.8 years, 257 visits, last login: 2.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by chachalaca See Profile

• Location: Rosebud,Falls,TX
Good "faster uploads; quicker ping, better install compared to direcway"
Bad "would be nice to have a lower price but still good value compared to D'way"
Overall "First impressions--- yippeeee skippeeee -- finally, serious competion for satellite connections"
Mail,DNS,News:

After a love/hate relationship with Direcway for the past 3 years, we today just completed a new WildBlue install. First impression: cool beans!

A month ago, the 'radio' on the D'way dish died. It took two weeks (arrrrgghhh!!) to get a repair done and, once finished, our upload speeds, slow before, cratered to well below a very slow dial-up. Calls to D'way tech finally got elevated to tier 2, then a promised call from 'engineering', which never came (still hasn't, ten days gone). When waiting for the promised call became excessive, I in turn made a call to the local provider for Wildblue, making the appointment for a new install for today.

The tech arrived right on time, got the system up and running in just a bit over 2 hours. The tech used a signal strength meter on the roof top instead of as in the past with D'way having me sit in front of the computer and relay strength reports from set-up software. And I was totally blown away when the tech used a torgue wrench.. a torque wrench, for Pete's sake!! ... to snug down the securing bolts on the dish once it was pointed properly. A very pleasant experience, the install.

We don't at the moment have the promised speeds but even so surfing seems a lot crisper. Ping times seem to be mostly in the low to mid 600's - a fair bit quicker than the 800 - 950, on a good day, that seemed most typical of d'way. I never saw anything in the 600's with d'way. A couple of comparison uploads show a vast improvement over the D'way speeds. A trial upload that took about 15 mins on the old system completed in something around a minute flat on the Wildblue connection. A couple of calls tech to help configure my network were a real breath of fresh air, getting a tech who actually listened, understood, and replied appropriately to my questions, without first making me go through the scripted steps like d'way, or totally ignoring my questions or observations about the problem I was experiencing. Sound familiar to any of you other D'way users out there? And wonder of wonders, the techs all spoke standard US amerikun, too. As yet I haven't broached the subject of not seeing the advertised speeds but I am failry confident my inquiry will be fairly considered once I do.

Folks, it looks as though d'way finally has some serious competition. Yippee skippeee. For now, two thumbs up for the new kid on the block. Here's hoping that success doesn't spoil them, know what I mean, Vern?

member for 12.4 years, 292 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by dossman2 See Profile

• Location: Gilbert,Maricopa,AZ
Good "it rocks"
Bad "takes a while to install"
Overall "best mobile internet (not locked in to local providers )"
Mail,DNS,News:

this is finally what sat isp's were supposed to be about I get 1.9 dwn 650 up for 69.00 mo call 602-405-1455 to get your system today i do this for side work and i like it ten times more than i liked dway so i started my own dealership>>>

member for 11.7 years, 178 visits, last login: 5.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by s0121 See Profile

• Location: Coldwater,Comanche,KS
Good "Excellent Tech Support"
Bad "Use the Telephone to ask for install - 6 Emails unanswered"
Overall "I would recommend - good price, great tech support advertised speeds"
Mail,DNS,News:

Had Starband Vsat for 4yrs and 7months... 500/50 @ 69.95 a month... actual speeds 500/23...7 weeks now and NO REFUNDS as posted on the SB site...
Use the Telephone to ask for install..6 Emails unanswered -waited till Nov 18th the Wife called... Installation on the 22th... Install on a very cold AM...approx 9:30, finished and set working by Co-oP... and out the door..(Acct activated 11/22/05:11:46 CST Value Pak 500/128 @ 42.95). original speeds not quite what I expected. DL;s in the 500 range GREAT.. :::.. Upload Stats ..:::
Connection is:: 64 Kbps about 0.1 Mbps (tested with 97 kB)
Upload Speed is:: 8 kB/s
Tested From:: »testmy.net/ (server2)
Test Time:: Fri Nov 25 14:02:41 CST 2005
Bottom Line:: 1X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 128 sec
Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 49.61 % of your hosts average (wildblue.com)
Validation Link:: »testmy.net/stats/id-Z2005SGV8..
Call to techsupport was great.... minor changes.. add Qos that *SB r4emoved to work correctly.
After tech support: average speeds are :1PM Speakeasy Dallas 12-02
Last Result:
Download Speed: 509 kbps (63.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 108 kbps (13.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
working on XP SP3 Corp - (WildBlue should inform you that (my case) Co-op install does not give you Wildblue.com access to[ Home page, email, billing] it is thru the co-op site...Co-op installed with Proxy.... Tech Support recommended removal... Things were faster after WB Tech support - when speeds drop below advertised... I have repaired connection... and when that did not work - Rebooted Modem 3 times. I dropped this service for UCOM.net $49.00 a month Wireless DSL - Download Speed: 1471 kbps (183.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1758 kbps (219.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

member for 12.6 years, 149 visits, last login: 4.2 years ago