WildBlue page on DSLReports

Review by blues4wildbl See Profile

• Location: Mojave,Kern,CA
Good "It's better than nothing at all."
Bad "Horrible Customer Service, Signal goes out half the time, High Latency, Don't get them if You don't have to."
Overall "If you can get EVDO get it, this is your last resort"
Mail,DNS,News:

When it works its alright, but whenever you really need it you can't depend on it. As far as VOIP for get it. Very tight on bandwidth. I get a no internet connectivity light on my computer half the time. Customer Service are really bad. They talk to you like an idiot. I do IT for a living and I know what the problem is. You would think that a satellite would be more reliable.

If you're out in the middle of no where I guess you have no alternative, but if you can get EVDO I would get it instead of this service.

Don't even bother with customer service.

Comments:

jimmy D

@wildblue.net

Slow Slow Slow Internet service

If you need internet service don't go with wild blue unless you have all kinds of time to wait for uploading anything. They just don't know what their doing. They are slow-slow-slow. They really SUCK! J D Waupaca WI

Bandit2012

@wildblue.net

Re: Slow Slow Slow Internet service

I was experiencing the same thing. My upload was maxing out and when I called Exede the rep asked if I had iCloud, which I do. All of information (pics, mail, and such) were continuously uploading. The fix was to turn off iCloud on my apple products. I upload about once a week, if needed.

DrSax

@184.21.125.x

Wildblue stinks

I had my service installed just two months ago. Multiple calls to customer service, 2 service calls, and the service is totally unreliable. Shame on the sales person who promised just as good service that I had with Charter. If I could use them, I would. I live in a rural area and satellite services are limited.

The download speeds are as low as 3.29 and upload speeds 1.08. I had to buy the high priced package because we were burning through the monthly allocation. They claimed we were gaming (we don't). They have been no help, and they do treat you like a two year old.

• Location: Climax Springs,Camden,MO

Had exede installed on 9/26/12, have had to call 6 times in less than 3
weeks. When installer came out, he didn't run new wiring, he used my old
hughesnet 2 cable wiring, and ran it into the one port wiring of the new
exede modem, leaving 1 wiring hanging. What I have experienced is exede
showing me using over 36GB in less than 9 days and after a reset 2 days ago,
they show us using over 14 gb in 1 day. This is absolutely impossible, we
do not stream movies or music, we do not use an online backup storage, we
have excellent virus software and a brand new secured router. When you call
these people they do nothing, it took 3 calls before they even set up a
service call to run the right wiring that the 1st installer was too lazy to
run. When I checked using last night a little after 11pm we had used less
than 200 mb, which all usage I have check is less than 200mb per day, as of
that time we had used a total of less than 500mb since the reset 3 days ago,
then I wake up today to over 14gb of usage, with the majority of it in
upload, which we have not done. We are low to med users, we pay bills, do
email, check face book and my husband plays words with friends, so the usage
they show is absurd. Could they even suspect that it has something to do
with old hughes net wiring, with separate upload/download connections. I
feel like I'm being ripped off!!!!!!!!! On my 6th call today, supposedly
they are fast tracking the investigation, somehow not buying it. If they
don't resolve it I'll have to take it up with FCC and attorney general, will
not be ripped off. Had hughesnet before for 8 years, their customer service
was awful, and of course exede said they were great when signing me up.
Bought the top plan for 25g for $130, expecting to never use it, but wanted
the experience of never having my speed slowed as hughesnet did if you
exceeded 200 mb a day, but unless they get to the bottom of this within the
next 72hrs, I would say, never use this service, hughesnet service may be
awful, but so is exede's in my experience to date, but at least hughesnet
didn't rip off my allowances, and with the new gen 4, you can get 40gb/month
at a lower price, so all things being equal on the suck meter, why not use
the lower priced gen 4. If I ran my business this way, I would have any
money to afford their program.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:
BigVe

What if

You have an unsecured/bad secured wireless router and someone in the neighborhood is using your connection? Would that be possible?
Expand your moderator at work
Couriant

join:2012-10-29
Peoria, AZ

Re: What if

Most likely if it's the Upload that has been maxed out.

As to the 'fine for gaming', their own website shows its not good for gaming... it's amazing how they don't train their employees to be in sync with their details online.

As to WB, I was looking into this as I could have moved to an area that had no cable services... their 'sales' team had a few members that didn't care or did not have customer service experience.

Review by Sherri See Profile

• Location: Kremmling,Grand,CO
Good "Way better than dial-up!"
Bad "Customer service is horrible"
Overall "It's wonderful compared to dial-up!"
Mail,DNS,News:

The communication between the parent company and local installation crews really needs improving. My husband took a morning off to meet the installer. He called 30 minutes before the installation window ended only to be told that the equipment the installer received for us was damaged, and the installation had to be postponed for two days. Funny WE had to call THEM to find this out! Not happy about customer service communication!

Technician arrived within the window specified, and tech was not that friendly (didn't smile much) but was very knowledgable. He spent with us what time was necessary to get the service installed correctly. First modem didn't work, second one did and we were good to go.

Installation occurred today and I'm extremely happy! Our previous dial-up connection was 24K which was actually 18K according to some internet connection measurement sites (tinyurl-dot-com).

I have read all of the negative reviews for WB and have to say at this point YOU NEED TO GIVE THEM A CHANCE. It is NOT the same as DSL, and I suspect that the negative reviews WB is getting is because people are expecting DSL quality service with WB, but you won't get that! Keep in mind that satellite internet is a quality of service that lies between dial-up and DSL. Not close to DSL but WAY BETTER than dial up! Give them a chance!!!

I do agree that it's way more expensive than DSL, but we were lucky to get the service for $40 a month under ARRA (American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009) for 1MPS service (the middle plan regularly $69.95) but for what we are paying, it is darn well worth it! I will update my review after we've had it for a while.........

UPDATE 9/4/12: We've had the service for a little over a year. We've been very happy with our connection, works very well for my on-line retail business an the connection is great even during blizzards. We've never come close to the data cap, but we don't stream movies because of the latency issue.

I am VERY unhappy right now. Their customer service STINKS! We've been without service for 15 days now - our modem went out. Someone was supposed to call us with an appointment within 24 hours of our initial call, and no one did. When I called back the next day, I was told that it could be 2 weeks before our service was restored. WHAT?! That second customer service rep scheduled an appointment for today, between 12p-5p. I took a day off from work to meet the technician. Guess what......no one came! I called them again, and got an apology from a rep and a new appointment for next Monday. By that time, we will have been without service for 3 weeks. They better pro-rate our next bill or I will be steaming! What kind of company operates this way?! All I can say is we are at their mercy because of where we live. We have no choice. Why they can't just mail us a new modem is beyond me. All we have to do is disconnect the old one and connect the new one. We asked, but they don't want to do it that way.

Comments:

Review by Abyss1992 See Profile

• Location: Walton,Roane,WV
Good "speeds when your not throttled all the time"
Bad "throttling is a constant issue"
Overall "you get what you pay for"
Mail,DNS,News:

i have no other options for broadband i got the lowest package because of money constraints i get 7.5GB a month for $60 the install was good but the DNS and internet gateway issue's leave much to be desired my modem is a Surfbeam 2 Viasat modem with no way to reboot it in the GUI like my hughesnet HN9000 modem the good is the speed the bad is the constant throttling

member for 2.4 years, 449 visits, last login: a few hours ago

• Location: Fultonville,Montgomery,NY
Good "Curtious Installer"
Bad "Sales lies about VPN Access ability, Advertised Speed lies"
Overall "DO Not Use WildBlue"
Mail,DNS,News:

Wild Blue sales flat out lied about their speed and ability to allow me to work from home(VPN access). They charged me 150 bucks to install and 49 dollars for the first months service that was unusable. They still advertise on line that they are faster than DSL, another lie. They did however not charge me a early cancelation fee but would not refund my install fee. Unless this is the only internet service you have I would not use Wild blue ever.

(review was emailed from domain dot.state.ny.us)

• Location: Tuttle,Grady,OK
Good "I can receive email, sometimes."
Bad "very slow, very expensive"
Overall "Very poor value for the dollar"
Mail,DNS,News:

What a rip off!! Do not use this ISP!

I am paying $80.00 per month for 1.5Mbbs service. 98% of the time it
runs about .5. During the last 3years that I have had it, it made it to
1Mbbs on 2 occassions but it didn't last long. The other complaint I
have is that I have a 17GB download limit but they cut your speed back
at 95% of 17GB. Do the math, 95% is 16GB not 17GB! Sounds like false
advertising to me. Then when they cut your speed back (around 65kbbs,
which is much slower than dial up), it won't speed up again until your
30 day average usage gets down to 70%. If you continue to try and use it, it
will take weeks to achieve 70%. The fastest way is to just turn it off
and do without, which, I suppose is what they want you to do. In the
meantime, of course, I am still paying $80.00 per month and getting
nothing for it. Unfortunately for me, because of where I live, this is all I can get.

I am going to look into filing a complaint with BBB.

John Kirby

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

• Location: Mechanicsville,Hanover,VA
Good "Thank you for internet service I could afford in an area where NOTHING else worked."
Bad "Service becoming unreliable and slowing. Now I have this junk to get"
Overall "Verizon has come to the woods!"
Mail,DNS,News:

I didn't want to pay for the new dish ( ugly looking in front of house anyway) ,wait for the installer, etc. They may give you a break on the service,

(review was emailed from domain yahoo.com)

Comments:

Review by Enemy Decoy See Profile

• Location: Oak Grove,West Carroll,LA
Good "Netflix runs fine"
Bad "Gaming not possible"

I recently heard of wild blue exede and called for info. The man i spoke to on the phone gaurenteed 10-12mbps with 12-15 at peak hours. He also said that it was great for gaming. Excited, i made plans for them to be there 2 days later on thursday. Thursday they call multiple times saying he is on the way. Finaly that afternoon they call and say he had faulty equipment and will be there saturday instead. Saturday they call and confirm several times, then in the pm call and move to tuesday because of an "equipment shortage." Then on tuesday after confirming all day once again they cancel to friday because of network problems. Finaly show up on friday, hook it up and leave, not answering questions or being helpful in anyway. I have yet to reach speeds over 7.5mbps, and gaming is not possible at all. Unfortunately i didnt read reviews first, as ive seen several similar to mine just on the first page. Very dissapointing.

Comments:
BigVe

Read up on satellite

If you had done that you would know that ANY satellite internet service is pretty much unusable for gaming due to very high ping(500->1000 ms) It is unusable anyway because of their FAP.I go back on dial-up before i get any Hughesnet etc sat service.Good luck(you will need it)
KDICHEL12

join:2012-10-23
Keeling, VA

dont get wildblue,exede

i have had this service for 2 months now and have had nothing but problems. my internet goes on off on off, very aggravating when
you are trying to work online, i called the company and all they tell you is to upgrade, yea for what just to give them extra money cause they sure as hell dont give you the service they made it out to be, they say i used all my download usage, but how can u use download usage if you dont download or stream anything, i got a not on the 13th or 14th saying I've already used 70% of my usage and never downloaded anything, so what is the deal wild blue exede, YOUR RIPPING PEOPLE OFF, WHY DONT YOU COME TO REALITY AND GIVE THE PEOPLE THEIR MONEYS WORTH, ST0P RIPPING PEOPLE OFF, I AM VERY VERY DISSATISFIED WITH THEM,

• Location: Webbers Falls,Muskogee,OK
Good "Not One Thing"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "I was lied to from my first contact with this company"

I will make this short and sweet because I have wasted enough of my time and my money on this scam. I was lied to about the service (the salesperson pumped it up to be way more than it was), the period of time to return the equipment and cancel the service (I was told 30 days by the installer, but no such thing exists) and the speed of the service (much slower than DSL and goes off and on completely at random.) Everything I was told changed once the equipment was installed. Now I have a service that is slower than the DSL I traded in for this garbage and this scam of a company will do NOTHING to make it right. Now I am pretty much being told that I am stuck with it and too bad. I will do everything I can to steer people away from this company.

(review was emailed from domain ayerskoi.com)

Comments:
BigVe

Gulliver, MI

You should have known better...

....just by reading reviews from either Hughesnet or Wildblue what you had coming.I would go back to either Dial-Up Or No Internet at all before i would deal with either one of those scammers.Both of them should be closed down by government for lying and stealing from the customers

LindaM

@mycingular.net

regret going with this service

I set up service before I read the reviews. The day before I was supposed to get service, my son told me to read reviews. I am glad I did. I contacted customer service and told them I wanted to cancel installation. That was a big fiasco. After five phone calls, with five different answers, I was finally told my refund won't be issued for 14 days. When I called the cancellation dept. all I got was music and no answer. If this is that bad now, I can only imagine what it would be like after service. I also talked with one person who had this service and she hates it. She said it is slow and keeps going down. No thank you...I'm glad I found out before I was stuck with something that doesn't work as told.

Review by Aranarth See Profile

• Location: Stanwood,Mecosta,MI
Good "If you do not have access to DSL, Cable, or LTE its better then dialup"
Bad "Its only better than dial up, expensive, low download caps"
Overall "meh, krogoth not impressed"

·Frontier Communi..
At the time we got it the choices were, dial-up, satellite, or nothing.

Connection is generally stable, there is some rain fade but its not that bad. On occasion DishTV is down but we still have internet connection. Generally if Wildlbue is down its a pretty good size storm going through.

When we first got it 7 years ago ping time averaged around 600-700ms and I could still play Everquest. Now ping times average around 900 to 1500ms sometimes as high as 2000ms and you can forget about any only gaming except for flash games.

I can't wait till we get DSL, or 4G. Unfortunately DSL is going to be by Frontier. I'm going to try out 3g/4g from millenicom and see what sort of service I get.

Comments:

A Holbert

@comcast.net

stay away

Wild Blue or Via Sat are a crooked company and the internet is always freezing up.
You have to restart your comp. all the time.
They only accept payment through a credit cardThey keep taking money after contract is up and I returned the equipment and have proof of delivery and they still charged me for it. They need to be shut down.
STAY AWAY!!
Kaosfury

join:2011-06-27
Altavista, VA

Re: stay away

if your computer freezes, its your computer, not the internet
JayRov

join:2012-06-07
Utica, MS

Thanks for the Run

Thanks for the run away advice, I have had 6 hook-up appointments, and still don't have their service. I will stay with Hughes Net, at less they show up when they say they Will.