WildBlue page on DSLReports

Review by revdennis See Profile

• Location: Waynesboro,Wayne,TN
Good "best advertised speeds via satelite"
Bad "inadequately equipped sales support team / rediculously low monthly bandwidth limits for the advertised speeds."

I ordered WildBlue High-Speed Internet via Satellite on 2/14. At that time the only install date they had was 3/14, while I was out of town. I told them that would not work. They said I would have to call back in a few weeks to schedule a new time. I did, but customer support cannot find dates to install. They say they are escalating the issue and someone will call you back (it has been weeks). No one ever calls. Then they show up without an appointment to install on 3/14, but they do not even knock on the door (my brother in law was home all day). They charged a $149 setup fee over a month ago! I think if they are not available to install the equipment for the foreseeable future they should not charge you upfront!

Comments:
JayRov

join:2012-06-07
Utica, MS

Hook Up

I have had 6 appointment to get hook-up with this service and so far they have not shown up. I get phone calls from the installer saying that they are running late, or they have been over booked. Maybe it is a good thing that they have not shown up, I will stay with Hughes Net at less they show up when they say they will

Review by jdtxdot See Profile

• Location: Fort Davis,Jeff Davis,TX
Good "When nothing else is available."
Bad "Expensive"
Overall "Depends on how bad you want it."
Mail,DNS,News:

Have had good service with Wildblue. It is VERY important the dish is set up properly. If you have to call technical support, they can see your signal strength..

Comments:

Review by mwkessler See Profile

• Location: Harrington,Kent,DE
Good "better than dialup when it works"
Bad "Out of 4 day I have been able to use it less than 4 hour due to gateway being down."
Overall "The worst company to deal with. If you have another choice DO NOT BUY FROM WILDBLUE!!"

Exede 12/3 15 gb limit $79.99

I finally decided to purchase service on Wild blues new satellite service Exede. They scheduled the installation for last Wed. At 8am. When the technician was late I called Wildblue, they assure me he was still coming. At 10:30 I called and then again at 11:30, 1:30, 3:00 and 5pm. Finally at 5pm they admitted he was not coming because he was on vacation. The Manager promised to pull a person from NJ and send him down on Thurs. At 1pm. The next day, he actually showed up at 12:30, 1/2 early. I watched him install everything very carefully making sure he doted his I and crossed his Ts. When it was time to install the modem and sign the contract I was very excited, after all it was 12mbs download and 3mbs upload.

When he tried to access the contract, it would not come up, in fact nothing on the internet worked. He decided it was the tria ( LNB ) that was bad, so he climbed up on the roof and replaced the tria. He came back into the house positive he had fixed the problem. Once again he tried the internet with no good results. This time he was sure it was the modem so he replaced it next. Next he replaced all of the cable and connections, next was the ground and the grounding block. Finally after doing the install 2 times and it was now 6pm. He decided to call Wildblue. The first call he was on hold for 45 minutes, the second call was over 1 1/2 hours wait time. With no answers from Wildblue he was even more determined to fix the service. So for the next 1:45 he just stared at the modem. It was now 10pm and I had convinced him to leave and come back another day. As he was leaving he made the promise to have a lead technician call me on Friday. That night I turned off the modem and router for the night and went to bed. The next day was Friday and I expected the Manager of the installation company to call me along with the lead technician. After several hours of waiting I called the company. They said the manager was too busy and the lead technician was out on a call, but when they got free time they would call me. While I was waiting for them to call I hooked up the old rusty and extremely mobile broadband and went on line to do some research. I decided that I would call the Manager and Technician again. This time it was 2:30pm. I was notified by the receptionist that both people had decided to leave early for the weekend. So there I was with my new satellite and no service. I finally found a link on a website that took me to another that had some useful information on it. In the post, I read that while doing regular maintenance on my local internet gateway they ran into a problem and their down time had been extended to 3:30pm from 11:00pm the night before. I decided to try rebooting the modem 1 more time. Yea!!!!!!!!!! The modem locked on the satellite beam and I now had internet. Here I was all connected to the internet with a connection of 21mbs download and 3 mbs upload and didn't know what to do. I finally started browsing, listened to some music and watched a few videos. I then realized that Wildblue had never told the technician. That the local internet gateway was down, during any of his may calls. That night at 11:00pm, like clockwork the internet disconnected and I lost my connection. As of this moment I am using my mobile broadband to post this because the connection is still not up yet!

All I can say is this has been a very frustrating and expensive lesson learned. Never ever ever ever do business with Wild blue. They are one of the worst companies I have ever seen run. It’s not a wonder they have not gone out of business because of their terrible customer service and communication skills. Also, I still have not gotten a single call from them yet. Unfortunately I am locked into a 2 year contract with them and still after 4 days, do not have internet. I spoke to a friend who lives in WV and was having his installed today... The very same happened to him........

member for 11.1 years, 195 visits, last login: 2.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by dori7711 See Profile

• Location: Cody,Park,WY
Mail,DNS,News:

This is the WORST company I have ever dealt with. Run AWAY if you are thinking of trying it. I have spent over 10 hours on the phone trying to cancel this service and 4 weeks later I am still trying. It is like a phone hell trying to work with them. They have charged my credit card $500.00 and the service was never hooked up and now I can't get it cancelled. Incompetence at the very least. Go try another company.

Comments:

Review by JuanDeaux See Profile

• Location: Bone Gap,Edwards,IL
Good "Better than dialup"
Bad "Better than dialup, but that's not saying too much"
Overall "Only for those who have no better choice"

Background
- Retired and enjoying it.
- 37+ years working with computers; from programmer/analyst to system administrator, to member of virtual corporate administration team to technical writer for a multi-national Fortune Top 50 company.
- Dialup access spanning 13 years, first to company network and subsequently to the internet.
- Starband satellite subscriber for 6+ years.
- Wildblue satellite (Pro Pak) subscriber for 4+ years.
- Typically have 7 or 8 PCs running/networked at home, plus a laptop or 2.
- Scheduled to have wire buried for DSL service next week, weather permitting.
Wildblue – Pros
- It’s always (usually) on.
- Superior to dialup for most general internet uses.
- The hardware has been 100% reliable for >4 years.

Wildblue – Cons
- Very middling bandwidth allowance.
- Quite sensitive to weather and atmospheric disturbances; expect no service prior to, during and for a time after any kind of storm. My experience is that satellite internet is affected a lot more often and for longer time periods than satellite TV.
- It is sort of pricey when compared to land-based internet.
- Did I mention the measly bandwidth allowance?
- Inherent latency makes on-line gaming and voice-over-IP pretty much no-gos.
- Streaming audio works smoothly, but can gobble up a lot of bandwidth.
- Streaming video is not so good, but it will still use a lot of that precious bandwidth.
- No kids at home now, but before the last one left the nest I had to periodically shutdown the satellitemodem to avoid exceeding the usage limit and the dreaded throttling.
- Oh yeah, the stingy bandwidth allowance makes for a generally mediocre internet experience.
- Dialup was a better option for me to work remotely, even though I could only ever get a 26.6kbps connection. I installed software, managed users, administered clusters, administered corporate email server, etc., via dialup on systems from US to Europe to Africa. Satellite was hit or miss, evidently due to latency, which isn’t very reassuring when doing that type of work.

Summary
I realize the new Exede service will probably take a slight edge off a few of my Cons. But, the bottom line for me has always been the bandwidth restrictions. Continually checking the bandwidth usage on Wildblue’s website (which until recently seemed to be about the slowest site on the internet), was no fun and of course the act of checking it used additional bandwidth. I am fortunate in that I never exceeded the usage cap, but that is only due to my vigilance. And Exede, as available today, would not change that one iota. Actually, having the increased speed would only exacerbate the low bandwidth limitations.

I would only recommend satellite internet service for the following situations:
- No access to cable or DSL
- Inferior cable or DSL service, with no prospects for improvement
- Inferior cable or DSL is available, but speed is more important than volume of use
- No access to cell service, or if cell access is available, but would require a more burdensome contract

I am not making the switch to Exede because I have the option to get DSL. It’s a 3.0Mbps service, but I’m not expecting much more than 1.5Mbps due to the distance from the DSLAM. It’s costing me >$1000 to have the wire buried and installed, but I consider that a reasonable price. In addition, I am required to pay for a land line phone, but even with the upfront cost and the phone charge, I figure it will be a wash within a couple of years or so versus moving to the top tier Exede package. If did not have the DSL option, I would have tried to stay with the existing Wildblue Pro Pak (and its’ cheaper bandwidth) for as long as possible instead of moving to Exede. For my money, choosing between Wildblues’ 22GB for $79.95/mo. versus Exedes’ 25GB for $130/mo. + lease cost/mo. + $150 upgrade cost is a no brainer.

Comments:

Review by Sircolby45 See Profile

• Location: Sidney,Comanche,TX
Good "The dish is great for target practice...."
Bad "Horrible latency!!!! Way worse than Hughesnet even!!!"
Overall "Go Hughesnet if you haft to use satellite"
Mail,DNS,News:

Update4: The service has continued to get worse and worse and the prime time slowdowns are atrocious. There really is no redeeming factor with Wildblue. If you are thinking Exede is going to solve everything think again. The caps are even more atrociously small than the current ones. Exede is a big marketing joke.

Update3: Well at no surprise to me the downward trend continues. The satellite is becoming overloaded and download speeds are becoming less and less of what is advertised. Latency is still absolutely atrocious. The way things are looking right now Hughesnet is the lesser of the 2 evils.

Update2: Still same crap with no improvement whatsoever and no sign of improvement to come. The only thing that has changed is I think Hughesnet might be right down there with it now. If your looking into satellite do yourself a favor and lower your expectations to it being very little better than your dial-up in some areas and 0 better in others and you "might" not get disappointed. Also check to see if you have EVDO in your area first!!!

Update: Almost a year now with no improvement and no sign of improvement. The service just keeps getting more and more unreliable as time goes on. Between the weather outages and Wildblue related outages it is beginning to get to the point that there are multiple outages a week. If you are looking to get satellite internet, I would recommend you go with Hughesnet. They are **FAR** from perfect, but still seems to be better than Wildblue. It is more or less the lesser of the 2 evils. Unless satellite internet is all you can get though stay FAR FAR away. There is only 1 connection out there that it is better than and that is dial-up.

Since the November update the pings have gone to crap. It is basically gone down the tube. I would not recommend this service to my worst enemy.

Pinging yahoo.com [66.94.234.13] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 66.94.234.13: bytes=32 time=1158ms TTL=47
Reply from 66.94.234.13: bytes=32 time=1160ms TTL=47

Ping statistics for 66.94.234.13:
Packets: Sent = 15, Received = 14, Lost = 1 (6% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1144ms, Maximum = 2933ms, Average = 1409ms

Wildblue Pro Pack / Beam 40 / Laredo Noc

Comments:

Review by turtledove See Profile

• Location: Locust Grove,Mayes,OK
Mail,DNS,News:

Wildblue will say whatever they need to get business and string customers along. They really don't care about any of us.. probably get most of there profits from businesses. These new satellite packages are a joke. Wildblue is obviously high on crack!

Comments:

Review by packeteer3 See Profile

• Location: Tehachapi,Kern,CA
Good "Great sales staff!???"
Bad "Support, billing and customer (no)service SUCK!!!!"
Overall "AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ANY COST!! no internet is better than this!!"
Mail,DNS,News:

I bought this service for a (very) rural cabin, the only utility is a occasionally operating telephone and "hold your mouth right" cell phone service, We make our own electricity (solar, wind and generator) satellite is our only option for TV and high speed Internet. I signed up with Wild Blue, the sales staff informed me that I could get the "Recovery act program" at no installation fee and a killer 29.95 a month with a one year contract! who could pass that deal up!

The installation went well, but the tech had to use my amplified mobile broadband (virgin mobile (-; ) to set up my account because the wild blue modem was not "auto configuring" like it was supposed to! after two hours he reconfigured the antenna wiring and everything worked just fine.

Just a week and a half later the email nasty grams started about "FAP" abuse! I'm only there three days a week and use VNC to check a webcam and some WX sensors a couple times a week?

Throttling to below dialup speeds began and with the "thirty day rolling" policy never sped up again Basically over a month at intolerable speeds. So far that is my Good News!

Fatefully an airplane crashed near our property starting a 14000 acre brush fire destroying our two cabins and six outbuildings including all of the WildBlue equipment.

We contacted WildBlue to inform them and asked for a bill to reimburse them for their lost gear. WildBlue said they first needed "concrete proof" that there was actually a fire!?!? We had at least five other neighbors with WildBlue that also had their homes and equipment lost to the fire!

After multiple contacts (some sympathetic others just calling us liars) and sending photos of what was left of their equipment and our property after a 2000 degree firestorm, we finally got a bill (two months later) threatening legal action and collection agencies? We quickly sent a check (certified mail) upon being informed of the delivery of that check we discovered they had charged our checking account directly! These (expletive deleted) had taken twice the money! In yet another phone conversation they accused us of theft of their equipment and overpaying them!

Sorry for a lengthy rant but I REALLY don't want to see anyone else have to deal with this level of incompetent, uniformed, uncaring, rude, uneducated, company culture that IS WildBlue.

I will now just plug along with My little Virgin Mobile dongle with a Cyphre Rockies amplifier (unlimited data 3G plan) which is still faster than WildBlue's FAP clamping!

member for 3 years, 1 visits, last login: 3 years ago

Comments:

Review by shortround See Profile

• Location: Beloit,Rock,WI
Good "Much faster then my dial up, good service if there is a problem"
Bad "Much slower then cable would be but cable is not available"
Overall "Best deal I can get at the moment for the money"
Mail,DNS,News:

I have had Wildblue now for almost four years. For the most part I am happy
with it. There have been times of slow downs and occasionally no service
but that doesn't happen very often and usually doesn't last long either.

I have internet by satellite because there is NO cable out where I live.
The companies don't want to run cables to where there might only be two or
three homes hooked up. So for me it is either wildblue or hughsenet.

My dial up never runs faster then 24Kb/sec. Wildblue runs at about 1-1.5 MB/sec.
I checked out hughesnet about six months ago to make sure I was getting the best deal for my money and it was going to cost me the same monthly fee WITH a new 2 year contract so why switch?

Hughes rates the download bandwidth differently so it was a bit confusing,
bare with me. IF I have it correctly, @ 350 MB per 24 hour period as your
limit, that adds up to a 30 day limit of 10500 MB per month. For the same
$80 per month Wildblue allows me 17000 MB with no 24 hour limit. That seems
like a better deal to me.

For $110 per month hughes will allow you 2.0 MB per second and 13500 MB per month. That is a bit faster then wildblue download speed but still short of the maximum bandwidth with wildblue and at $30 per month more money.

At least until some company runs truly high speed cable out here I must
stay with Wildblue. When my grandkids come to visit I see my monthly
allowance approach the bandwidth limit occasionally. If I was with
Hughesnet it would be turned off on many occasions when Wildblue is still
running.

If my grandkids want to download videos, I tell them to take their netbooks
to McDonalds and do it there on somebody else' penny.

I do a lot of research via the net and I usually have 40-50% of my
bandwidth allowance available.

Watching youtube videos will sometimes put me up to 80% of my allowance but
with one day of inactivity it will drop to 65% so it is not a major
inconvenience.

For the time being, wildblue is the best solution for me. But with speed of
of only 1.5M and 17000MB of limit per month cable would be a major improvement.

Sigh, maybe someday high speed cable will make out here to the boondocks. At least for now I have peace and quiet to go with my slow internet.

Comments:

Review by tymeat

• Location: Hudson,Weld,CO
Good "When work......"
Bad "My connection is not working for about a month....i call and they want $$ for just coming to look at it.....its the second time"
Overall "They control your connection, they can turn on...off....or slow you down. Get wildblue ONLY IF YOU HAVE TO"

DONT GET WILDBLUE.....
UNLESS YOU REALY REALY HAVE TO......

I HAD IT AND CAN NOT WAIT UNTILL MY CONTRACT EXPRIE

(review was emailed from domain yahoo.com)