ViaTalk page on DSLReports

Review by not2cr8iv See Profile

• Location: Potomac,Montgomery,MD
Good "Customer Service, Price, Features, Call Quality; BBR members!"
Bad "Web site could be better"
Overall "Excellent VOIP provider and a great value"

I've had Viatalk for about 3 months. Tested the service out for a while and then ported my number (took about 20 days -- as advertised) from Vonage.

I've been really happy with Viatalk. The price is absolutely excellent -- $199/year for residential unlimited. Their tech support is excellent and honest -- they tell it like it is. Nice feature set. Also, I take a great deal of comfort from the fact that Brendan is a BBR member and regularly responds to posts here.

Previously had Vonage for 13 months. Viatalk's call quality seems better than Vonage, IMHO.

There are a few rough edges. For example, I disabled SMS voicemail notification becuase it send a text message every time I checked voicemail. I personally find the voicemail interface a bit clumsy.

Great service overall and a great value.

Comments:

Review by jmacd27 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Great easy to use web site and control panel."
Bad "Long time to port number over."
Overall "Haven't used for long, but no problems so far."

Signed up for the 2 years for $199 special. After factoring in the shipping cost of the Linksys adapter, mothly rate for the next 23 months is $8.70. Porting took very long (24 days) and was frustrating to wait for. Porting took place today and all is working well so far.

Call quality seems as good as a land line, better than the cell phone calls for sure. No echos, hiss or delay at all.

I really like the control panel for controling all the features. Being able to listen to messages online and having them forwarded to a e-mail account is nice.

I will post an update after a few months service.

member for 13.4 years, 5719 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by amock See Profile

• Location: Acworth,Cherokee,GA
Good "Price, fast delivery, features, E911"
Bad "Expensive to add fax capability"
Overall "Well worth it and goodbye Bellsouth"

I now have three lines with ViaTalk. The first line I ordered to test it out. I ordered on a Sunday night and I had the VoIP device on Tuesday afternoon. Hook up is so easy it could be done by a monkey and I was up and running in about two minutes.

The line quality is noticeably superior to Bellsouth. Living in Atlanta, we have to dial 10 digits for local calls and there is a 10 second delay. After sending an email to tech support, which I got a response in less than an hour, I was told this occurs because the system is waiting for another digit. Dialing either seven digits or 11 digits...calls work immediately. I also two other issues. The first issue was when I called Cingular numbers. I would always get a busy signal. The second issue involved calling phone menus. When I would punch in my choices, the receiving system did not recognize my entries. A simple email to tech support fixed both of these problems within 30 minutes.

After this I have been error free...except for an occastional, MINOR echo on my end.

So, being satisfied with my six week trial of ViaTalk...I decided to jump on the two years for $199 and added an 800 #. I ordered it and had the device arrive in two days. I hooked it up in about a minute and all works fine and non of my above issue occured.

I was so happy with ViaTalk I signed up my dad also. Again, device arrived two days later and no problems. Goodbye landline and DSL!!!!

Only issue, I wish faxing didn't cost $9.95 a month.

Comments:

Review by skidawg4 See Profile

• Location: Grand Junction,Mesa,CO
Good "Price, Speed, Great Tech Support"
Overall "If you want a great Deal plus great options & service this is it."

I recently switched from Bresnan Digital Phone 39.99 to ViaTalk during the one day special. I was a little skepitcal because it was such a great deal. The sound quiality is better, price is better of course, options are way better, & tech support is very good so far although I am having trouble calling my T-mobile phone. If you need a good VOIP connection try ViaTalk dont let the price fool you this is a Great Voip service.

Update ViaTalk has fixed the T-mobile issue & DTMF issues after calling my T-Mobile number. The Tech support here is very good.

Skidawg

Comments:

Review by f1tech See Profile

• Location: West Milford,Passaic,NJ
Good "Great voice quality and features. Good customer service response"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Would recommend to anyone over any other VoIP provider"

I originally signed up for ViaTalk for my office to setup a conference calling server. Things were extremely easy to get running and besides from a few initial setup glitches, the service is up and has been running ever since. It's been about 1 year now.

I decided to take advantage of their 2 year for the price of one sale for my home phone line. I was paying over $50 a month for my phone service with Verizon and the only added feature I had was caller ID. So my price for service is $8.29 a month. If I stay with ViaTalk for 5 months, I will have broken even and the other 19 months are essentially free. Right now, as long as the service stays as good as it is, I will be a permanent convert.

My home internet connection is Optimum Online Boost service (30MBps down, 2MBps up). Bandwidth is not a problem for me.

Phone call quality is near POTS line with the occasional clicking that you sometimes experience with VoIP services.

I even got my TiVos to work with ViaTalk, even though they are not "officially supported". There are workarounds that can be found in forums online. If you sign up for the service, take advantage of the initial trial period and test these things first. You don't want to get stuck paying for the service you cannot fully use after the trial ends.

Technical support via the online ticket system is quite good. If the matter is not terribly urgent they respond within 12-24 hours and once the ticket is opened and the first message sent, subsequent emails back and forth are responded to right away. Phone support could use some help as it typically takes 20 - 30 minutes to get through. There is the option of paying the extra $2 a month for a higher level of service, but for me it is not necessary.

The website for account management is well laid out and the features offered are very good. I particularly like the ability to setup a hunt group with non-ViaTalk lines, and the follow-me service. Custom caller ID is pretty slick too and helps with the generic "Cell Phone" ID tag. Even existing caller ID entries can be overwritten with your own tag.

All-in-all, I would highly recommend ViaTalk to anyone considering VoIP. If you have a decent internet connection and understand that VoIP is not mature yet and will not be 100% identical to your old POTS line, you will be very pleased (especially considering the cost savings).

Comments:

Review by Toniee See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Great voice quality, Great value, Unlimited use, Cool features, Nice Reps"
Bad "OK customer service however it has gotten better, Slow to port number"
Overall "Order priority support if you want some real customer service, Highly recommended VOIP service"

Hi guys and gals, this is my first review on DSLREPORTS.

This is my first VOIP experience and so far it has been a good one. At the beginning, it was real bad, they were so backed up by their great sale. Customer service would take long to answer your calls. But I ordered Priority Support and it has gotten better. The features and the call quality is awsome.

Everything works, the features that I've tested anyway.

Everything is looking well. All I'm waiting for is for them to port my number.
I just wish I got that 2 years for $199 deal. Rumor is that they are having another sale tomorrow!

Comments:

Review by nfmartin See Profile

• Location: Des Plaines,Cook,IL
Good "Great sound quality, resonable price, suffient minutes"
Overall "I would recommend ViaTalk to anyone. Aready have."

Have Comcast residential 6mbps/384kbps,
changed to 8.8 mbps/768kbps + $10.00.

May 2005 - Ordered Vonage residential service. They had lots of advertisement!
Used PAP2 adapter bought at Sam's Club behind a Linksys Router
Voice quality was poor. Cancelled service.

March 2006 - Ordered Vonage Business Service (second time) (SOHO)
Used the same PAP2 adapter.
Spent about 2 weeks trying to get voice quality. Never reliable.
Vonage personnel recommended cancel 1st account and open up a new account.
Vonage sent a RTP300 router to use in place of the PAP2.
Spent about 2 more weeks trying to get voice quality.
Still got poor quality. Cancelled service and returned router.
Vonage charged me for cancellation charges on the 1st business account.
Still trying to obtain refund.

April 2006 - Moved on to packet8. Ordered business service. (SOHO)
Packet8 sent ATA to wrong address.
(there call center people did NOT follow my directions and incorrectly opened up a residential account). Cancelled service. If they can not ship correctly and get my directions straight, then what about the really tough issues?

Unlocked Vonage PAP2. Got some good info. on the Web.

May 2006 - Decided to try ViaTalk Business with BYOD using original PAP2.
Setup was a breeze. (except for mistake in ViaTalk email)
Set the adapter to G711u and the proxy address, was up and running - 30 seconds
Voice was PSTN quality.
What a GREAT service. Have recommended ViaTalk to 2 other people.
In 4 weeks of service only had 2 calls that were not PSTN quality.
Changed QoS on router. This should fix my call problems.
Looking forward to cost effective, reliable calling.

Comments:

Review by PHTP15 See Profile

• Location: Boynton Beach,Palm Beach,FL
Good "Fast response to tech support tickets"
Bad "None as yet"
Overall "I love these guys"

After delaying the decision to use VOIP for more than two years, I read about ViaTalk here at BBR. Up to that point, I had the feeling that tech support was not good in most providers. Somehow, what I read about ViaTalk led me to take the plunge. This was at the end of March (prior to their big promotion). The adapter arrived 4 days after I signed up and it worked immediately. My number was ported in 5 weeks and this has been my only phone service since then. I called the tech support line once. It was during that period of their promotion. I was 16th in line and it took a long time. When I reached someone, he was courteous and took care of my problem. Voice calls have been satisfactory. I then signed up for a fax line and that was a problem. I decided not to call but submit tickets instead. That has worked very well for me. I could not send or receive faxes and within a half hour of each email to them, I could hear attempts of them trying to reach my fax number. The fax line is now working. I am a very happy customer. For a total monthly cost of $26, I have unlimited voice calls as well as fax service. Finally, I should add that they billed my credit card twice for the first month of fax service. I submitted a ticket, received an immediate apology and my credit card account was credited. I can ask no more of this company.

Comments:

Review by fun1search See Profile

• Location: Sterling Heights,Macomb,MI
Good "Very Responsive"
Bad "None that I have discovered"
Overall "Via Talk Team.. the best."

Forget about poor service and lack of tech direction
that you may receive from other broadband phone services...

I may as well just come right out and admit
it.. Iam a Via Talk user and fan.

There is simply a lot to like and enjoy about
the Via Talk service.

Beyond the top knotch full featured broadband phone Services
that Via Talk provides is the star responsive Via Talk Team with
a you-don't-have-to-worry hands on approach to
quality service you'll appreciate.

Via Talk is a foot tapping popular winner on your hands service
for anyone who desires the best.

Comments:

Review by ff a818 See Profile

• Location: Pocatello,Bannock,ID
Good "The service has been solid once I got it."
Bad "Need to improve customer support staffing"
Overall "I would recommend that you stay away from BYOD unless you know what you are doing."

Update June 11

I have now used the service for over a month. It is a good service. The service has worked rock solid without any known outages.

I figured out what was wrong with my sipura setup. I would recommend that they send information to voxilla, so that users can use the automatic provisioning available over there.

Keep up the good work and good luck hiring support folks.
___________________________________________________________________
I am a little disapointed in my initial intro to ViaTalk. I signed up after the one year free (too bad for me) with a BYOD. It took them five days (after I called and threatened to cancel) before they sent me SIP credintials. I have tried to access there 24/7 technical service on four seperate occasions and have not reached any one. One time the line said they were unavailable (this was a Sunday Night) and to use the web. The other times I waited over thirty minutes and did not move up in the que very far. I finally did get my service setup. I wish they would provide more documentation on the setting needed for sipura adapters (but oh-well that is what I get for BYOD).

I think they need to stop promising that they will provision an account in 24 hours and update that email to reflect their current service levels. I think they could even post it on the website and consumers can make an informed decision.

I will reserve scores on the service till I have used it for at least one mont.

P.S. I have bad luck for picking service providers (I picked Packet8 when it was number three, and Broadvoice when it was number 2). I hope ViaTalk does not drop to the bottom of DSL Reports after I select them as my VOIP Provider.