ViaTalk page on DSLReports

Review by SCalum See Profile

• Location: Huntington Beach,Orange,CA
Good "Easy to set-up; Plug and play"
Bad "Wait for order fullfillment"
Overall "So Far, So good"

Just hooked it up so I can't describe reliability. Call quality seems just slightly worse than Time Warner VOIP (my primary provider). Will evaluate for a while before porting my number. Last of the $199 two-year sale fullfillments I think.

I want to have a second line installed using the same modem but haven't figured out how to do that yet. Received a Linksys PAP2 modem. I may have recieved someone's cancelled phone number because their calls were on my phone log despite just initiating service.

Getting hold of service was tough during the sale fullfillment period. However, when you finally got through customer service was courteous and knowledgable. Hope it improves after they get over the hump.

member for 11.1 years, 147 visits, last login: 5.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by dkirk53 See Profile

• Location: Millington,Tuscola,MI
Good "Company president online and accessible - new features coming often"
Bad "Overwhelmed by awesome sale"
Overall "VERY happy that I switched from Vonage"

Been a Vonage user for two years ... had to wait a bit for the sale orders to be processed but in the end it was all worth ... I plugged the PAP2 device into my router and it worked without any port forwarding or other tricks, it just worked. Vonage started sales calls to my Vonage phone and lack of features led me to ViaTalk, and "the sale" sealed the deal. Thanks Brendan for offering the service.

Comments:

Review by rolande See Profile

• Location: Powell,Delaware,OH

·ViaTalk

member for 12.6 years, 4442 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by yogs See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Great call quality & features"
Bad "Hidden charges - they will demand more money after you order!"
Overall "Stay away - go with a more reliable service provider"

Update as of 05/14/2006:

I have upgraded my review... The connection finally started working last evening (don't know how). Call quality is great. I tried a few test calls, and the person at the other end could not believe this was VOIP. In the past 12 hours, the adapter has been working smoothly and I haven't had to recycle power on it. The service works great will SJLabs softphone (I prefer that over Xten - the speakerphone echo is less. To supress Xten echo, you have to upgrade to a paid version). Besides, SJLabs works great with Pocket PC 2003.

Some of the features like voicemail alert through SMS don't work though email forwarding does work, and can be used as a workaround.

My billing issue is still not resolved (I signed up for the 2 years for $199 promo, but my invoice indicates only one year of service). It is still a pain to get in touch with customer service. While customer service reps are polite and helpful, if you can't even get to talk to them, its quite useless to have the reps in the first place. ViaTalk will really need to think hard on how they are going to scale.

Overall - once the initial hiccups are taken care of, there shouldn't be much need to call customer service. If the quality of calls and reliability continues to be good over the next 10 days, I might decide to stay with ViaTalk.

----------------------------------------------

Update as of 05/13/2006:

I finally received my phone adapter yesterday. I plugged in the adapter to the ethernet connection and power supply, and then plugged my phone - it did NOT work. All the indicator lights are on - for power supply, ethernet, and phone - so nothing seems to be wrong with the adapter. Looks like ViaTalk just sent an adapter without configuring it.

I went to the support website - their instructions indicate that all what you have to do is plug in the adapter, connect to ethernet, and it should work. The reality is that it does not.

I have been trying to reach customer service on phone - but no luck. I was on phone for an hour - got to #2 in the queue. And then I was abruptly disconnected - a voice said "phone support is not available... please contact through email". I have opened a billing related ticket through the web 3 days ago - no response yet.

When it comes to Customer Service - ViaTalk may have been good when there were a handful of subscribers - after the promotion it has just failed to scale. The left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. They do not always take notes of what you may have talked with them - so make sure a ticket is opened for each call - otherwise good luck trying to get ViaTalk to keep its word.

I have so far been successful in calling using Softphone and Grandstream Budgetone 101.The call quality is OK. The big issue is - even though your internet connection is always on and you use only one phone - ViaTalk drops you off the network. So you have to keep reconnecting/recycling power. If you are looking for a reliable incoming line - look elsewhere. (Even when you call their customer service, the automated voice keeps on reminding you to recycle power).

In a nutshell - ViaTalk concept is great. But the management is immature. It does not know how to scale and deliver. Time will tell if they learn from their mistakes or just become yet another unsuccessful VOIP company.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I placed an order for ViaTalk on 04/25/2006 for their $199 for year plan (that included a promotion of an additional year's service free) plus $9.95 for shipping. I have not received my equipment yet.

Throughout last week, when I would call customer service, the consistent response I would get is they have received too many orders and are not able to handle them. They did, however, say that my order would be shipped on 05/04/2006.

I checked the status on 05/05/2006 - my order was still not shipped. So I called customer service again. This time the guy on the phone said they have no way of promising when my order would be shipped. However, if I paid extra $30, they would ensure that my order would be shipped on that day.

I asked to be connected to the supervisor. The representative said the Customer Service Manager, would get back to me by the end of the day. I still have not heard from him.

ViaTalk's website boasted about "no hidden fees / charges". My question to the ViaTalk's management team is - Isn't your policy of making customers pay extra after ordering a fraud? ViaTalk has engaged in deceptive advertising and misrepresentation of information. They have advertised a promotion, and have not fulfilled their committment.

I have noticed several other similar complaints on ViaTalk posted on this board. I understand that this message board requires reviews to be written after installation - but I believe in ViaTalk's case, it is important for customers to know what they are getting into before they order. As far as call quality is concerned, I guess a quick call of customer service will give you an idea of that - most of the time, the voice is quite faint and sounds distant.

In a nutshell - stay away from ViaTalk - it is a company that only attempts to create a buzz by introducing promotions that they do not intend to fulfill.

Comments:

Review by Brian in MD See Profile

• Location: Frederick,Frederick,MD
Good "Cheap, reliable, great quality!"
Overall "Great provider all-around!"

I ordered ViaTalk at the end of March, on a Wednesday. I received and connected my adapter late the following week, and I was immediately able to make/receive calls. I've been trying the service since then and have been very happy. ViaTalk keeps adding new features and re-doing/enhancing features that may not be up to par. Call recording has been flaky but they are apparently in the process of overhauling the entire recording system to provide better performance.

I put my number port request in with Sunrocket at the end of April, and according to the ViaTalk rep I spoke with last Friday, the port should be complete in the next 48-72 hours.

Overall I've been extrememly pleased. I hope to see ViaTalk keep improving their offerings by adding features like fax support, the ability to manage your own virtual number (instead of calling and having them do it), and distinctive ring, but all the important features are there and they work.

member for 11.7 years, 4176 visits, last login: 293 days ago

Comments:

Review by catManic See Profile

• Location: South River,Middlesex,NJ
Good "Good Quality and Value"
Bad "short delay when making outgoing calls"
Overall "It looks like a winner!"

My first experience with VOIP was with Vonage who provided a very good conection, so I dumped POTS without any regret although with some trepidation at the time. However, recently I became concerned about poor customer services and increasing fees with Vonage and I just wanted more for my money. I decided to go with ViaTalk about the same time that the special was offered, because I was convinced that the customer service, quality, and value were for real. Having CEO VTBrendan available to chat was no small advantage either.

Now, I am in the process of porting my number from Vonage and will cancel them eventually, and since I am their customer for over a year, I don't expect to pay any cancellation fees. I believe that I did purchase the router from them upon installation, so I intend to keep that. I have set-up the router for use with the ViaTalk without really knowing how to do it but it was not too difficult a process.

member for 13.9 years, 3497 visits, last login: 3.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by Hemicrusher See Profile

• Location: Valley Village,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Call quality, price, features, customer support"
Bad "VoIP not as reliable as POTS."
Overall "Better then Vonage"

I tried Vonage for a brief amount of time and could never get decent call quality. Ordered ViaTalk and had my PAP-2 in about four days. Setup took about three minutes after which I was making calls. First thing I noticed was...well didn't notice, was it sounding different then my POTS line, which is a good thing. Vonage was a joke at my location (not saying Vonage sucks...just that Vonage sucked at my house.) If VT stays like it has been, quality wise then I will drop my POTS down to bare minimum for emergencies and dsl. Overall I will be saving $30 per month over straight POTS.

Comments:

Review by ryaldo See Profile

• Location: San Diego,San Diego,CA
Good "Call Quality is AWESOME! And Great Features!"
Bad "Back logged due to 2 year promotion SALE!"
Overall "Hit the Jackpot!"

I was lucky to sign up during buy one year get another one year free sale. I don't think VIA TALK had enough manpower to support this sale. I called twice to check the status of my order and I was told I will be a week until I get my PAP-2. I was about to cancel my order but I decided to call again to check my status, they told me my order will be shipped tomorrow and 3 days later my PAP-2 showed up. It took me 3 minutes to install and get a dial tone. The sound quality is great, it's much better than Vonage. All features work so far. The only minor problem I have is when I place a call it take 7 seconds to hear the ring at the other end so, I have submitted support ticket.I am porting my Vonage number to ViaTalk currently. Bye Bye Vonage. ViaTalk was worth the wait... For $8 a month, you can't beat it.

Comments:

Review by MrTwister See Profile

• Location: Hilliard,Franklin,OH
Good "Call Quality, tech support, features, and Price"
Overall "Excellent call quality, great tech support, and a Price that was hard to beat."

I was shopping various VoIP companies for some time, and had the field narrowed
down to a couple of providers. After seeing the various options and features that were
offered by Viatalk, and the addition of more regionally located proxy servers and
the unbeatable deal 1yr for $199 plus a second year free.

I placed the order the monday that the sale started 04/25/06, I received a
email the next day, with my account being charged two days later. Viatalk had
my PAP2 in the mail. Being distracted at work, I initially ment to sign up for
the BYOD plan, but being a scatter brain, I didn't hence the shipping of the
PAP2. No biggy, I sent a ticket to tech support stating the error in my part,
and within a few hours received my BYOD creditials.

I messed around with it during the week with what little time I had, and was
able to make calls, and was happy with the qaulity. Opening my mailbox Saturday
afternoon, I was surprised to see my PAP2. I was able to pull myself
away from yardwork and other unfavorable tasks that I was doing and
showing much self control, kept from tearing the box open like a savage so
as to have it to return the PAP if something didnt work with it. Plugging
it into my network, logged into my router, reserved an IP address for the PAP
and wella. Solid LED showing connection, lifting the butt-set I had connected
to the PAP2 with a banjo, I had dial tone.. no fuss no muss. I did not
have to forward any ports at all. I did eventually open up and forward the
ports, only because I'm a control freak and have to lock down my network.

I've read more than a few posts from people that have had delayed response
from Viatalk as a result of the massive influx of clients.

Seeing Viatalk close the three day sale after two days shows, that the company
isn't focused on the almighty dollar,and was trying to keep the load on the
network to something that wouldn't over run the infrastructure.

I'll update as I use the service more and more. I'm messing with my
Asterisk@home box (AAH), and a Uniden IP1868 VoIP phone.
Viatalk works great with the AAH box (with the exception of having
to add an extension to the dialplan to pass the *123 for voicemail),
it's the crazy dial-plan that the UIP1868 uses thats giving me fits.

Comments:

Review by dbilling See Profile

• Location: Chapel Hill,Orange,NC
Good "It's all good! Inexpensive service and a product that works"
Bad "Overwhelmed by recent sale"
Overall "Much better than Vonage or Sunrocket"

I am a two year veteran of voice-over-ip offerings, first with Vonage and then with Sunrocket.

My Vonage service worked great for about a year, then I started getting getting 10-15 second periods of one-way-voice on some calls. It happened about 20% of the time. Vonage's customer service is just a complete joke. The fact that Vonage is spending so much on advertising and they invest so little helping their customers turns my stomach. In fact, I think all the advertising is causing them to grow too fast, which in turn is causing most of their service problems. They remind me of a .com company during 1999 -- burning through money to expand at all costs, and ignoring their current customers.

So, I decided to vote with my wallet. Well, I admit I made a very very poor choice by going to Sunrocket. Sunrocket service is so poor in my location that there was about a 50% chance of a problem with any given call. Again, one way voice issues and dropped calls. I lasted only about 3 months on Sunrocket.

I was lucky enough to order ViaTalk during the "great sale" -- $199 for 24 months of unlimited service. This is amazingly cheap (probably too cheap). The adapter arrived 7 days after ordering. I attribute the delay to the sale since previous reviews indicated they usually have faster turnaround.

I got my first experience with ViaTalk customer service almost immediately. They sent the wrong adapter (different from the one that I ordered). They noted their mistake and the replacement adapter arrived quickly.

I put a number port in on April 28, and yesterday on May 9th it went through. This is much much faster than my previous number ports.

I pay the $1.99 monthly for priority support. Some people are offended that ViaTalk offers this. Excellent support should be included in the base service, they say. Well, the base ViaTalk support is _already_ better than Vonage. The priority support is just icing on the cake if you choose to purchase it. And I'm happy to pay it. With priority support, you can expect an answer to your online ticket in about an hour. I haven't needed to use phone support so I can't comment on that.

Number porting could use some work on Viatalk -- they port your number, but none of your account settings. So you have to go in again and set up voicemail, your network unavailability number, and any other setup you did, including resubmitting any cases you opened (such as turning on message waiting light support). It would be really nice if all this stuff didn't have to be reconfigured after a number port. But then again, this will only happen once, and the inconvienience is less than an hour to get things set up again the way you want them.

Let me say one thing. These guys are not perfect. They are human just like the rest of us. But they are trying harder than Vonage. They are trying harder than Sunrocket. The service works as well as any internet phone service I have experienced. The cost is less. The features are pretty darn impressive for the cost, and they hit all the things on my "must have" list incuding a network unavailbility number, 7 digit dialing, and e911. The customer support is heads and shoulders above Vonage and Sunrocket. They want to fix things that are wrong. I have yet to have any issues with one-way voice with Viatalk... but more importantly, if I did, I would feel comfortable trying to work them out with customer service. That's way more than I can say for Vonage.