ViaTalk page on DSLReports

Review by ac3750 See Profile

• Location: Charlotte,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "consistent QOS, Feature rich, Easy access to Tech Support via web and phone"
Bad "none"
Overall "Highly Recommend"

I signed up for Viatalk in February with hopes of finding a value priced, feature rich VOIP service that can port over my Pots number. Viatalk hit all the requirements!. I was with Vonage for some time, had no real issue with their service, but ended up deciding to switch because Vonage could not port my current pots number. This is one of my main requirements. It took approx 2 weeks before I received my PAP2 ATA, but once it arrived, it was truely plug & play...

Aside from porting, Viatalk offers the E911, simultaneous ring along with a host of extra features all included with the service at a price that is a great value.

I had some small issues with their outgoing caller id not working and the removal of that annoying continuous splash ring when there was a new voicemail, that took tech support a few times to figure out, but they did find out the cause of the problem in short time and that is all I could ask for.

I know that using any VOIP service for data transmission (ie alarms, fax, dish network) is not fully functional due to the current nature of this technology, but after trying several recommedations found on BBR, my Dish receivers are able to complete their call "home" thus avoiding another $5/month fee from Dish.

member for 8.7 years, 1549 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by nosummers See Profile

• Location: Saginaw,Saginaw,MI
Good "Great Sound Quality"
Bad "None yet"
Overall "Great Sound quality and awesome tech support"

I just completed my install with Via talk about 1 month ago. I was able to keep my AT&T/SBC phone number. The process to keep my number took about 2 weeks. The call quality is excellent and I like the custom caller ID. I plan on switching to a long term contract in June. (next bill)

I used a $25.00 coupon code that I got online. The person who gave it to me got $25.00 off their bill and I received the $25.00 off the install and bill.

Here is my code you can use. First come first service. If we stick together everyone sharing a new code can save instead of a large company getting all the breaks in life.

Coupon code for $25.00 off: NWNRQOQIIB

Comments:

Review by Hilbe See Profile

• Location: New Albany,Franklin,OH
Good "Lowest price around. Quick turnaround time on support issues."
Bad "Unable to use alarm, fax, or data (Tivo)."
Overall "Best bang for your buck in VoIP right now."

ViaTalk has really surprised me at how great they are to their customers. They provide excellent service and support at such a reasonable price.

I was able to get a great deal on the service since I did BYOD. I got a $199 for 14 month deal, and then applied the DSLREPORTS coupon. This brought it down to $164/14 months = $11.21 a month. This beats all other deals out there right now. Their order process leaves a lot of room for improvement, but overall went smoothly.

I was able to load all the settings onto my BYOD PAP2 (Vonage unlocked) within a few minutes. The call quality appears to be excellent according to the people I've called.

As for features, ViaTalk is great at adding new features. It seems like every week there is something new I can do online. SunRocket was my previous provider and the only feature SunRocket has that ViaTalk doesn't is the T.38 faxing support and $3 international call allowance. I don't call international and T.38 is coming soon according to their CEO.

Overall, I'd recommend ViaTalk to anyone who doesn't care about fax, data, and alarms.

Comments:

Review by pbhouse See Profile

• Location: Rockwall,Rockwall,TX
Good "Superb Customer Service"
Bad "Web site a little vague"
Overall "Would highly recomend!"

Sent email asking questions about the service. Got a response from a real person the same day. Ordered service on a Friday and recieved my equipment Monday. Plugged the adapter in and it worked right out of the box. They told me it would take 20 days to port my number over. It was done in 7. This company has it together.

• Location: Grand Junction,Mesa,CO
Good "Really a money saver"
Bad "Nothing bad to report"
Overall "Overall great service, quality and price"

This is a great service. I found them to be very helpfrul and
responsive to any questions or problems I had with my initial
service/setup. Their Tech support was great when I had a problem
initially setting up my Linksys router, got someone on my cell phone
that answered all questions. I did have problem with some calls
dropping and their Tech support was right there with how to correct the
problem. There can always be some problems with a new service, but
these people work hard to see that you have all the help and answers you
need. I initially signed up for the 500 min per month plan, paying a
monthly fee until I made sure the service worked for me. (They even
show you how to make all the phone jacks in the house work with their
adapter.) I was so pleased with them I switched to their unlimited
minutes yearly plan. My phone bill is less than 1/2 what it was with a
land line. Highly recommend them!

(review was emailed from domain bresnan.net)

Comments:

Review by ngiovas See Profile

• Location: Clarkston,Oakland,MI
Good "Great service at a great price with excellent support"
Bad "Better support for faxing/modems would make this service perfect"
Overall "No reason not to switch to ViaTalk"

Being disgusted with outrageous phone bills, about a year ago I decided it was time to explore my options. At the time Vonage seemed like a great alternative to high cost phone service. I love to play with new technology, so this was a great option for me. I used the service for a year and it was OK, but a few things bugged me about their service:

1. Their support staff is non existent. I tried calling tech support several times and always had hold times of an hour or more. When I didn't end up hanging up, the people who answered the call couldn't deviate from their script and never seemed to be able to solve even the simplest issues.

2. I like to tinker and Vonage wouldn't allow me the flexability to make my own adjustments to my equipment.

3. Lack of features - Vonage kept promising new features (like E911), but never delivered. Most companies have now surpassed Vonage in the features area.

4. The service was OK most of the time, but all to often audio was choppy, one way or calls were just dropped. You have probably heard about the "Comcast is deprioritizing Vonage calls" conspiracy theory. I don't know if it is true or not, but I was tired of my family complaining about the quality so I decided it was time to do something about it.

That's where ViaTalk comes into the picture. I was actually seriously considering just switching back to land line service, or maybe buying Comcast digital phone, but the price of both was outrageous. I came across ViaTalk and noticed that they had all of the features/services I wanted (and more) at an extremely low price. Believing that you get what you pay for, I decided I would try it, but keep my Vonage for a while just in case.

I signed up for the unlimited plan for 12 months. Viatalk included 2 free months plus a free 800 number for $199 (plus $9.95 shipping on the free equipment). With my $35 coupon, that came out to $12.43 a month for 14 months of service. Even if their service/support were the same as Vonage, it was less than half the price. I ordered the service very late on a Tuesday night and my PAP2 phone adapter showed up in the mail on Friday afternoon. I plugged it in and it worked right away. After placing several phone calls to test the quality and features I was hooked. The only issue I had was that my message waiting light did not flash on my phones, so I opened a ticket. It was around 9:00 on Friday evening and they had it resolved before I went to bed. (are you taking notes Vonage?). I also decided to try their phone support and called to ask if they would give me the admin password to my PAP2. While I was on hold I went ahead and opened a ticket figuring it was Friday night and they may not have anyone answering the phones. I was on hold less than five minutes and a very friendly, very technical person answered the phone and gave me the password and answered a few technical questions. After I hung up I noticed that I already had a reply to my ticket before I was off the phone. I was grinning ear to ear!! I was sure I had made a good choice. I even received a follow up email this morning from tech support thanking me for the positive comments I sent regarding the handling of my ticket. This was an actual personal email - not a canned form email response.

So how does Viatalk compare to "other" VOIP providers?:

1. Their support is hands down the best I have experienced with a phone/VOIP company PERIOD. People keep saying - "wait and see how long that lasts". All I know is they are doing it. I don't every remember Vonage even trying to make me happy.

2. You don't have to tinker with ViaTalk, but if you like to, have fun. Not only do they support users like me with Bring Your Own Device (BYOD), they are fully open to supporting technology like asterisks.

3. The list of features they offer equals or exceeds all other companies and they are constantly developing new ones. One of the things that amazed me was reading peoples suggestions on the forums and then seeing that these items were implemented within a very short period of time. I just saw that they are now offering SIP phone forwarding. Now that they have the basics out of the way, I can't wait to see what they come up with next.

4. The call quality is great. I admit that I don't have a year under my belt yet with ViaTalk, but the ultimate gauge for quality is my wife. The first thing she said after her first call was "did you switch back to SBC?". Enough said.

With all of that said, are they perfect? No. If I could change one thing, I would want ViaTalk to provide improved faxing/modem support. I have a fax (although I only fax once or twice a year), a Tivo and an alarm. I would love to be able to support those through my VT service.

The bottom line is if ViaTalk keeps their quality and support up, continues to roll out the new features and continues to provide an exceptional price, I can't imagine why I would ever switch.

Comments:

Review by jer74 See Profile

• Location: Newport Beach,Orange,CA
Good "Excellent tech support on phone. Works just as well as I hoped."
Bad "none"
Overall "Great service at the best price. Highly recommend"

Tech support was there for me on the phone at midnight on a sunday. My adapter wasn't showing a phone line. Tech support had me update the software on my new Linksys Wireless G router, which got me up and running. ViaTalk answered my questions I've emailed them (using the support ticket) in 2 hours or less.

I'm still waiting for them to get the *1 call recording feature working.

The international rates are the best I've seen anywhere. Called Australia once and had a one second delay. But I get that at time using my more expensive phone card also.

• Location: Knoxville,Knox,TN
Good "Technical Service follow up"
Bad "Voice mail is not automatic when adapter is not working"
Overall "Great phone service!"

I started using ViaTalk about six months ago. Every time I have had a
question about my service I have entered a ticket on their web site with
my question. They have always responded within several hours and even one
time because they were having problems resolving my problem they gave me a
free month. I really like their web site and the layout because it allows me
to do many things with my account, especially checking voicemail. They are
as good as the ratings I read when I was searching for a VOIP provider.

Mike

(review was emailed from domain comcast.net)

Comments:

Review by mikeizzy See Profile

• Location: Lafayette Hill,Montgomery,PA
Good "excellent sound quality, great support and calling features"
Bad "initial configuration issues, 10-digit dialing delay"
Overall "happy so far; passed the WAF"

After having AT&T CallVantage for almost a year and becoming comfortable with VoIP in general, I figured it was time to save even more money over POTS (AT&T costs twice as much as ViaTalk at $34/month after the taxes they charge). So, I ordered via the ViaTalk website 1 year of service for $199 (plus $10 shipping) on 2/10/06. On 2/14/06 the telephone adapter arrived. I plugged it in and service was working immediately. I had a couple of issues that I had to contact technical support about:

1) When there was new voicemail waiting, the Message Waiting Indicator lit up properly, but my phone would also annoyingly half-ring every once and while until the voicemail was picked up. I guess this is actually a "feature", but I've never had such a service, and since I pick up the voicemail via email, sometimes there are "new" messages in the voicemail box for quite some time. I contacted technical support via their online ticketing system. I heard back within a few hours that the half-ring should be gone. Well, it was, but so was the Message Waiting Indicator light! I re-opened the same ticket by responding with this information, and another response came back - this time everything has been fixed to my liking.

2) The Caller-ID timestamp on incoming calls was one hour fast. I had to open up a trouble ticket with ViaTalk and they promptly corrected this.

I actually contacted technical support one more time - this time by phone - because my service wasn't working. It turned out to be an issue with my router. But I was really impressed by the technical support. My call was answered within minutes. The person I spoke to was very knowledgeable, and he realized that I was as well, so we were able to have a very helpful conversation. He followed up with an email with more helpful information. The problem turned out to be on my end, not with the ViaTalk service or equipment. It's really nice not to have to deal with tech support that simply read scripts and have to have everything escalated to actually get something done. I was also skeptical about the online ticketing system as in the past some companies I have dealt with are not very prompt with responses. But I must say I am very satisfied with ViaTalk's support.

Yesterday, 2/20/06, I faxed in a form to have my number ported over from AT&T CallVantage. So, we'll see how that goes.

I'm a little disappointed by the Do-not-disturb feature. I used this feature with AT&T and really liked how they allowed you to record a custom message informing the caller of reason for the do not disturb, AND offered the caller the option to press 1 if they really need to get through on the line. I hope that ViaTalk will improve this feature and make this service perfect for me.

There is a 10 second delay after dialing a 10 digit telephone number with ViaTalk. If I dial the same number with 11 digits, it goes through immediately. I'm so used to dialing 10 digits, that this seems rather annoying. I asked ViaTalk about it, and they said that their system is optimized for 11 digit dialing, but they may look into the delay issue in the future. Until then, I'm trying to get used to dialing 11 digits - even for local calls.

Comments:

Review by HappyViaTalk See Profile

• Location: Smyrna,Cobb,GA
Good "Great CustomerSevice"
Bad "None at the moment"
Overall "Recommend 100% Plus"

I have used viaTalk for 5mos and, with the exception of one outage,the reliabilty has been superb. Unlike packet8 and Lingo theyuse a Sippur ATA box, which told me that they would not lock me in with equipment that I could not use with another ITSP if was unhappy with the level of service. Inaddition, theyoffer softphone support,which for me is important given I wanted to be able to use X-Pro and SJPhone on my PocketPC. It was no extra cost,like Vonage. I have used Packet8 and Lingo, but for the money and quailty viaTalk, in my opinon, with head and shoulders above.

They have really improved their account managment interface. It was very ugly at first, now it looks great with the simple to use icons.

I trying my hardest to get all my friends to viaTalk. I hope this helps others.