ViaTalk page on DSLReports

Review by sgarrand See Profile

• Location: Ware,Hampshire,MA
Good "BYOD plans."
Bad "Poor quality over time, long hold times, indifferent support."
Overall "May work for others but it did not work for me."

After one and a half months of trying everything possible, I could not get decent sound quality from ViaTalk. It would break up and echo consistently and I would have to hang up and use another VoIP provider I have. I tried them, they turned out to be very poor, and I have now cancelled. After my years of experience (since 2002) with VoIP I just did not have the patience for ViaTalk. Good luck to everyone else that tries them.

** Below was a review after a week, above is after two months.**

I started off corresponding with their support team about the value of a pre-launch offer I received. After a few e-mails I wrote back saying I would like to sign up and they called me to set things up. That night I told them to call anytime up until 1 or 2 AM because I work late. They called around midnight and I gave them all my information with a promise that I'd get an e-mail with instructions on how to set my own device up. I got that e-mail less than 12 hours later (11:30 AM) and my device worked immediately with perfect calls.

After a couple of days of using my own device I decided that the quality was so good that I'd start considering them more seriously and take them up on the free shipping and activation of their device. I received their device the next day and it is a Linksys PAP2. It has worked even better than my device (as I thought it would) and I can't find a flaw in the sound quality. I hope they release more calling features and a more advanced portal but as it is I like it a lot.

The prices are competitive and the support staff gets back to you very quickly by e-mail. Also the hold times are not long and they are very helpful and friendly on the phone. It's still early and I can't review reliability yet but I will update this.

member for 14.4 years, 7362 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by thegee See Profile

• Location: Spokane,Spokane,WA
Good "Cheap. Lots of features included. Great tech support"
Bad "Long time to sign up"
Overall "I have no reason to switch! I like it."

It's been almost a month and at this point will not go back to my old phone service. It was slow signing up because of a shortage of adapters (that's what happens when they're free). I really cannot tell the difference except that I have all the features included that my old phone company wanted to charge an arm and leg for. I also like that their people are watching the boards here and helping with problems that arise instead of hiding behind the scenes. I recommend Viatalk to anyone wanting to try voip.

Comments:

Review by darekd See Profile

• Location: Roanoke,Roanoke,VA
Good "Very fast setup. Great call quality. Good support."
Bad "All outstanding issues have been resolved."
Overall "After 6 month I'm very happy that I switched to VT"

I've been using VOIP for the last 8 months (Broadvoice). There were some good and some bad times with them. The biggest problem was that I could not get phone number for my area. Every time I called they would say that it is coming next month. Then I saw some great reviews for ViaTalk. Not only they had number for my cost center but they also had E911. I was sold. Cancelled Broadvoice account and subscribed to ViaTalk unlimited $22.95 (BYOD). Got an e-mail with setup an hour later and had it running minutes later. To test my service I forwarded my Verizon phone to the new VOIP phone. For the past week we've been using ViaTalk exclusively and the only thing that I can say is that I'm very impressed with the service. If this continues, I will port my Verizon phone number to ViaTalk and I'll make it my primary phone service. The only problem that I've encountered is that outgoing calls don't display my name. Phone number is displayed but the name is not. Some of our friends don't pick up the phone if they don't know who is calling. I hope that this can be resolved quickly.

Aug-08-05

I have to lower the reliability rating because of number of dropped calls my daughter had last week. I opened a problem ticket and I hope it can be quickly resolved.

Feb-08-06

All problems have been resolved. The phone is working very well. I would recommand VT to anyone who is looking for good reliable service.

member for 10.2 years, 355 visits, last login: 5.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by Tonyhkb See Profile

• Location: Eagle,Ada,ID
Good "Easy setup, cheapest plan, good quality of service"
Bad "new voip provider - little risk; TOS could change"
Overall "Value choice"

Ordered on 2/22, got an email confirmation within few hours. Called the assigned number and the call went to voice mail. Could not check the voice mail remotely by calling 1-518-631-2898, the number did not work! Customer support told me it will be fixed by the end of the day. And, they did.

I've noticed that Viatalk's customer support line quality was choppy, not sure why.

The box arrived at the door on 7/26. Plugged in, did not register. Called tech support and some one answered right away. A power cycle did the trick, or, I should have just waited another second for it to connect. Called wife at work with the viop toy, she did not realize I was calling with the new device, good sign!

Took the device to work and plugged in to the network, it worked flawlessly. Called friends in NY, Alabama and San Diego, no one noticed I was not use the land line.

I signed up with zipglobal about a year ago. The service was okay, no issues other then during their equipment upgrade period. zipglobal recently changed their plan with fee increase for the plan I subscribed. Now, looks like viatalk is a better deal.

Comments:

Review by Dana1950 See Profile

• Location: Nicholasville,Jessamine,KY
Good "Price..reviews sound great..."
Bad "No response from Customer Service all day..charge my card $382.80?"
Overall "They charged me twice for the first month...when they return that I'll be totally satisfied. :)"

I signed up for Via Talk today...and have been trying to reach customer service all day long....recordings are all I get...you are 4th caller...you are 3rd caller....then when it's my turn to get live help...they tell me to leave a message!

I signed up this afternoon...when I did it said my credit card would be charged $382.80?? I signed up with the 2 year contract...that figures out to be $382.80! But I signed up for $15.95 A MONTH!!

I am leaving Packet 8 for their NO CUSTOMER SERVICE at all! Now before I even get going ..all of this happens. I hope it can all be straigthened out. If anybody has any answers to my dilemna please reply.

Since discovering the ticket system I am much happier. Very much better responses with that system. I still haven't gotten a returned call or been able to get through on the phone past the auto messages.

I got the system today (8/3/05) and all I had to do was plug it up...and it was there...and it sounds great. Haven't gotten the chance to really try it out..but I am very happy so far.

Comments:

Review by KLH See Profile

• Location: Vincennes,Knox,IN
Good "Free equipment and activation fee"
Bad "Still in beta"
Overall "Good service for the price"

I signed up for their ViaVite system which I received a $50 off coupon to use when I ordered. So for 6 months of service, it cost me less than $30 total. You cannot beat that price. Service has been down very little (only once that I know of for about a day). Tech support is good, expect it is non existence during the weekends/night while still in beta. They also have a good referral program, where you can make $50 per new activation!

member for 13 years, 3382 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by LociasInc See Profile

• Location: Deltona,Volusia,FL
Good "great service and sound quality, shipped equipment overnight, no configuration"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Great quality service, I'd use them forever."

I ordered Via:Talk service because I recieved a promotion. Even though I recieved a promotion they treat me like any other customer. I ordered at around 2pm one day and recieved the router the next day. All i had to do was plug it in and I had phone service. The phone service runs great, can even fax really well on it. I'd reccomment it to anyone and everyone.

Comments:

Review by dsherron See Profile

• Location: Colorado Springs,El Paso,CO
Good "Amazing Call Quality, Great Website, Fast Setup, Amazing Price"
Bad "Have to wait a day for BYOD settings"
Overall "Best value out there for quality VOIP service w/ advanced features"

I've tried several other low-cost VOIP providers and been disappointed with call quality, billing practices, and customer service before. So far, it appears that ViaTalk is not going to be the same kind of provider. Setup was quick and painless, call quality is awesome, and their customer service is top-notch! None of the other companies I sugned up with before were available by phone. Certainly they had phone numbers, but noone ever ansered them. ViaTalk had real people when I called, with no real hold time. They were friendly and very helpful.

All in all I am very glad I switched to ViaTalk and think that they are going to give Vonage a run for their money. I honestly expect alot of frustrated Vonage customers to make the switch as well. Great Price, Amazing features like BYOD, Caller-ID w/name, and e911 are the reasons I switched. But the customer service is why I plan on staying. Great job guys! Keep up the good work!

Comments:

Review by k12ock See Profile

• Location: Fort Collins,Larimer,CO
Good "Shipped ASAP, no router config neccessary, service quality is outstanding."
Bad "None, it was definatley the best decision"
Overall "Viatalk vs Vonage or Lingo ...... Viatalk is the best service for the best price by far."

I was googling for the cheapest VOIP phone services. I didn't want to pay Vonages excessive start up fees. I came across Via:talk. I said why not, and I ordered it. It only cost me 15 dollars to start up my phone service, which covered the first month's bill, the router, and the shipping. Not to mention Via:talk has many more area codes to choose from than the other companies. I recieved the router, along with a Via:talk shirt which I thought was kind of funny, but why not ill wear it. I thought for sure I would need to configure the router extensively to work in my house because my internet goes from my modem, to a router, to another router, and then to the Via:talk phone router, but i didn't. It worked right from the getgo. I was skeptical because my slow colorado upload speed of 45kbps is considered borderline for quality, but it sounds great. I just couldn't be more impressed with the outcome. I recommend Via:talk to customers anyone looking to get a VOIP phone.

Comments:

Review by JmanA9 See Profile

• Location: Export,Westmoreland,PA
Good "Excellent Call Quality, Free BYOD, Great Tech Support, No Startup Fees"
Bad "Ordering Process Confusing, Some Small Initial Issues"
Overall "If you have a viavite, try it out, you'll probably like the service"

I signed up for ViaTalk after seeing some good reviews on the service. I had a ViaVite worth $50, so I figured, why not just try it out. The initial ordering process was a little confusing, it didn't show a total for the order. I called just to make sure I fully understood everything, and was impressed that the tech support answered very quickly, and pretty much knew what they were talking about. I then decided to place an order. I was very happy that they had local numbers via Level 3 in my local ratecenter. In about an hour, I got my phone number, and SIP credentials, which I put into my Sipura SPA-2000 and was making calls instantly.

The call quality has always been very good. There's occasionally some DTMF passthrough issues, but that may be my phone, my Sipura configuration, or both. Sometimes, when people are calling me, they get a fast busy. Trying again always works. I've got a few fast busy signals when placing calls, but I tried a different STUN server, and I haven't had any since. I've made a few long calls, and the call quality has never broken up, and has remained excellent.

When I first signed up, there were some voicemail issues. They were eventually cleared up, and voicemail now works fine. Also, there was no caller ID with name. It was working for a day, but they removed it due to stability issues. It worked for the time, and I hope to have it back soon. Besides that, feature wise, I don't have any other complaints.

Besides some of the issues during the very beginning, I've been very happy with ViaTalk. They are a new company, so I expected some small issues in the beginning, like any new company might encounter. I'm glad that a ViaTalk employee is on the Voip forums, and if someone has a question, he always answers it.

I haven't had the time to try E911 out yet, but I will test it, and confirm it is working.

I like this service a lot, and would recommend it due to the fact that it has been rock solid, the call quality is excellent, there's a lot of ratecenters available, and no startup costs.