ViaTalk page on DSLReports

Review by Techie714 See Profile

• Location: Anaheim,Orange,CA
Good "Price, Call Quality, Features"
Bad "Tech Support, Billing Support"
Overall "As a former Sun Rocket customer so far I'm happy"

I've used the service for about a month and so far it's been rock solid with no issues. Now getting it all set up was a bit of a problem because something was wrong with my provisioning as well as the phone adapter they sent me. But after that was all fixed my phone has been good to go. So far coming from Sun Rocket this has not been bad at all. And porting my number from SR was a very smooth transition.

UPDATE: Been using Via Talk for a year now & so far I have been VERY happy with there service. There tech support is still pretty bad though.

Comments:

Review by austriacus See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Anoka,MN
Good "Very good call quality, very good customer service, very good control panel"
Bad "HORRIBLE international rates, and an onslaught of fees and charges adding around $3.40/month"
Overall "Good service, great bang for your buck. If you need good international rates look elsewhere."

We've been VT customers since the collapse of Sunrocket - which was about 2 years ago now?? - and have been very happy... for the most part. The beginnings were pretty frustrating as many people that switched at the same time can probably attest to. However, VT has improved dramatically since then and call quality and service have been impeccable. The few times when there were issues (dead air on pick-up, dead air after dialing yet the other party hears you) and we called in to CS to have this resolved they did so courteously and quickly.

Last year we spent 9 months overseas in Europe and took our ATA with us. Aside from some silly restrictions (you can't call overseas from your line while overseas!!) which you can't even lift after talking to CS service was great while over there. The only downside to having our US number while over there was that we got woken up a few times by businesses calling us in the afternoon - which was 3 or 4 in the morning over there.

Now my two gripes:

1. International Rates: I do -- for the life of me -- not understand why VT has one of the worst international rates out there. We call Austria all the time. Most other VoIP providers have rates ranging from $0.02 to $0.06. VT charges a whopping $0.3178 per minute to Austria -- landline, mind you, as mobile numbers over there are more expensive. Those are charged at around $0.4760!!! I'm currently using a Skype access number and pay $0.025/min. Take that, VT!! In all seriousness, though: This is one big reason for me to think hard about moving away from VT.

2. Nickle & Diming:
They nickle and dime you to death. Now all told, these "fees" amount to around $3.40/month. But just look at the line items for two (2!!) months:

1958846 2009-06-13 12:29 AM E911 Cost Recovery Fee $0.48
2118400 2009-07-13 12:27 AM E911 Cost Recovery Fee $0.48
2121186 2009-07-13 01:04 AM Payment -$3.27
2144606 2009-07-16 12:33 AM Telecommunications Assistance Service Fund $0.13
2144607 2009-07-16 12:33 AM E911 $0.75

All in all: if you don't mind looking past their "$199/year Unlimited" label (or whatever the current special is) and plan for an additional ~$40.00 in fees through the year you'll get yourself a very decent VoIP provider with excellent features and customer service!

Comments:

Review by micki_hills See Profile

• Location: Vashon,King,WA
Good "Lots of features, good call quality, good responsive support"
Bad "additional charges levied after I paid for a year in advance"
Overall "Not the cheapest, but very good service and a load of features make it worth it"

update: 08/10/2009

Service was always good, but I got annoyed when I started getting hit up with extra charges each month even though I paid in advance for a year's service.

When it came time for renewal this year (and at a higher price) I decided to jump ship. After all, with so many options for communications these says, why pay more when you don't need to? I switched to magic jack.

I have been with Viatalk since July and I am so far *very* pleased. I didn't get in on any of the specials, but I did use the dslreports coupon. I purchased the 1 year contract. At $19.95/mo it's not the cheapest but it also isn't expensive and compared to my old landline cost - it's a steal. They keep adding features and even respond to requests to add features. Two of the features that I most wanted came along within a couple months of signing up. I have asked tech support for a few things to be changed and was responded to immediately. At first, the call quality was the same as with Vonage and Sunrocket - about cell phone quality with a bit of latency. This has always been acceptable to me. But something has changed in the last couple months and now my call quality is better then ever. I didn't change anything on my end, so perhaps it's due to the addition of servers closer to my area (?) I have had only one minor problem (voicemail indicator light, accessing voicemail via phone) in the time I've had service. I like the Linksys - very compact and has a nice interface. They will give you passwords if you want to manage it yourself, which I haven't taken advantage of but may in the future since I do have some experience setting up and maintaining an asterisk@home server. And they have softphone support at no extra charge. I am very happy with the service and hope it continues.

member for 10.9 years, 126 visits, last login: 5.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by cmullen8 See Profile

• Location: Silver Spring,Montgomery,MD
Good "Calls sound good, great value."
Bad "Took some tweaking to my BYOD to get working."
Overall "Happy with results, did not have to wait for an adapter to ship."

Was looking to replace Packet8 after my annual commitment ran out. Found Viatalk thru DSLreports.com site. I likes the annual agreement with free 2nd year, and liked the idea of a BYOD arrangement. The adapter from Viatalk is "free" but you get the shipping and activation fees waived with BYOD. Ordered on line, very easy.

It took me a couple of days of fiddling around with it to get my adapter settings tweaked, but I had to unlock an old sunrocket adapter and then get all the settings entered in correctly. Not bad considering it was my first time working with SIP settings. (Of course I got some help from the boards here.)

Conclusion, so far so good!

Comments:

Review by YngHairyPssy See Profile

• Location: Monongahela,Washington,PA
Good "My actual real name shows on my caller Id display to others"
Bad "Wish Viatalk would offer their own Satelite and High Speed Internet plus Phone all combined into 1 package"
Overall "I am very well satisfied ,Always get great phone service and great features"

I WOULD RECOMMEND VIATALK TO ANYONE FOR PHONE SERVICES
VERIZON AND COMCAST DOES NOT OFFER GREAT PHONE SERVICES
THAT THIS COMPANY OFFERS.. I LIKE THE SERVICE CAUSE THERE IS A WAKE UP CALL , YOU CAN BLOCK UNAVAILABLE CALLERS
YOU CAN BLOCK NUSIANCE CALLERS , AND IT DOES SHOW
EVERYONES CALLER ID INFORMATION THAT SHOWS UP

I HOPE IN THE NEAR FUTURE IT CAN OFFER SATELITE T.V SERVICES PLUS HIGH SPEED INTERNET SERVICES COMBINED WITH PHONE
SERVICES FOR A MUCH LOWER PRICE THAN COMCAST AND OR
VERIZON , VIATALK IS VERY MUCH WELL ADVANCED FOR PEOPLE

I GOT NO COMPLAINTS , I AM VERY GREATFUL FOR
VIATALK I WOULD NOT GO WITH ANYONE ELSE CAUSE
IN THE PAST I HAD : VONAGE , JOIPHONE , VERIZON , COMCAST,
PHONE POWER ,VOIP.COM THEIR SERVICES ALL SUCKED ..
JUST GLAD TO BE WITH VIATALK THEIR SERVICES ARE ALL
GRADE A+ ALL THE WAY

Comments:

Review by Bobkd4dii See Profile

• Location: Hollywood,Broward,FL
Good "Price, BYOD, lots of included features"
Bad "A bit rocky to set up"
Overall "Good once set up"

I had some problems at first, the audio would have gaps in it as well as callers being unable to hear me. An older linksys WRT54G with Hyperwrt 2.1b1 + Thibor15c 3rd party firmware fixed the problems as it had much better QOS settings. They have a lot of features included in the plans that you would have to pay extra for or are not available from your telco. After the early problems were cured I am quite happy with the service. The audio is good, better than my previous VOIP service at much lower cost. Hopefully, no further problems will occur.

Update, have had few problems with the service, most problems I have had is with my DSL service being unstable which causes the phone service to go out but that is ATT's problem not Via Talk's. Over all, still happy with the service.

member for 9.7 years, 1321 visits, last login: 1.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by jaycc See Profile

• Location: Edison,Middlesex,NJ
Good "Inexpensive"
Bad "Having unreliable service after the 1st month"
Overall "Good price while you are deciding if the service is worthy it"

I signed up on 5/3 and I got my number ported from Vonage today (5/22/09). The adapter arrived on 5/8. Initially there was a latency problem when making phone calls. I submitted a ticket (their way for technical support). It was taken care within the same day. Also, I was not able to dial international on 5/9. The ticket got it addressed same day.

I used Vonage for two years. I guess VOIP technology is matured enough that we can expect little difference among providers. Cost was the reason I decided to switch. Now I would say VIATALK's feature list is more appealing than Vonage's.

How much did I know about VIATALK? Well, I didn't know anything about its negative past until I signed up. It was too late, right? I am not sorry, so far so good! Or it's even better than Vonage in term of features and cost.

I dont want to say its reliability is good given I've been using its service for two weeks and made not enough calls in or out. However, I am rather impressed by its tech support's quick turn-around.

While I hope its service will continue to be satisfactory going forward. I do think VIATALK deserves my recommendation as a BUY at this point. With the same sound quality, more features, and lower cost, this is the way to go!

I just looked at posts concerning about the charges like tax etc by other VIATALK subscribers. Comparing to my Vonage experiences, the tax, E911 charges, etc are about the same as VONAGE, while you get two years of service as opposed to one at Vonage. My annual plan at Vonage cost over $300 including tax, everything, not to mention additional cost each month, I think it's $0.99 or something per month. Overall, VIATALK is still cheaper, given the same sound quality and more features. Anyway, I re-edited this review to include the last part.

Thanks for your patience.

6/6/2009: This is going to be ugly!
In the last two three weeks, after I posted my previous review, I experienced annoying technical issues with viatalk.com:

1. I got busy signal for no parent reason;
2. Calls were routed incorrectly, ie, calls were connected to wrong number, other than the one I dialed;
3. Calls were missing from the "Call Details", especially those problem calls;
4. Some technicians told me the problems (above) were basically resulted from the other end, viatalk.com did everything correctly;
5. "Free two line" feature was NOT automatic, I had to ask for it, ie, opened a ticket;

However, I did run into technician who has better common sense and was willing to investigate.

Today I got busy signal again and I had to use my cell to complete the calls. About an hour earlier (5:46pm EST), a doctor called and the phone was not ringing, neither my cell (I use calls simutanous ring feature). I have to say their service is NOT reliable.

I will come back to let you know how they are going to respond to the busy signal problem + missing call log problem when they reply.

member for 13.8 years, 278 visits, last login: 2.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by gbuffum See Profile

• Location: South Burlington,Chittenden,VT
Good "Price"
Bad "Quality at times"
Overall "Great deal"

Call quality problems dialing in and out over the past week or so. Cannot hear calling party, fast busy signals when dialing out. Not a happy customer at the moment.

The second line feature is great especially if you have multiple folks in the family using the phone simultaneously.

International calling rates are decent, however not as cheap as they were when I first signed up.

If you are a tech savvy person and wish to save some money on your phone bill, then Viatalk is a good candidate for VOIP service.

member for 10.9 years, 330 visits, last login: 3.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by SuperHemp See Profile

• Location: Burnt Hills,Saratoga,NY

Been a smooth go with the company. If I had any problems they where resolved real fast. I have both a residential line and business line. They all work great and have no problems recieving or sending faxes.

Comments:

Review by DA See Profile

• Location: Greenville,Greenville,SC
Good "Low cost and a lot of features"
Bad "The company has been experiencing some growing pains lately"
Overall "Good deal if you don't mind a bit of do it yourself work."

Viatalk has a very large set of features, the cost is low but when they do major upgrades everything goes south. Since I have been with them there has been 2 upgrades, one of which almost broke my service until I figured out what ports needed to be forwarded.

member for 12.4 years, 4315 visits, last login: a few hours ago