ViaTalk page on DSLReports

Review by degauss1 See Profile

• Location: Hillsboro,Washington,OR
Good "Lots of features. BYOD friendly"
Bad "Long hold time to speak to them. Can't handle large influx of new subscribers easily."
Overall "Good value. Good quality."

SR refugee. Signed up online 7/24/2007 for regular plan. Called same day and switched it to BYOD. They were friendly and professional. 7/26/2007 got temp number and credentials. Was getting call within 48hrs of signup. Call quality is good. Forwarded inbound calls take a few seconds to connect but that's pretty normal for call forwarding. I have problems with conference calls I dial in to where inbound sound cuts out for like 5 seconds. hitting mute and unmute on my phone resolves instantly so not sure what the real issue is. Will work with support after the influx related delays calm down a bit more.

=================================

Update - 11/15/2007

Over 3 month now and the service is still good. I replaced my Innomedia device inherited from SunRocket with a Linksys device from Earthlink (unlocked). It seems to have resolve the odd issues I had in the beginning. I've adjusted my numbers to reflect the further experience.

==================================

Update - 2/24/2009

So, I renewed and went for a provisioned ATA from VT. Second line works flawlessly and porter my Axvoice line to a virtual number for an additional $3.95/mo.

The service is still excellent and the switch from BYOD to provisioned account was simple and straight forward. The LNP process from Axvoice to VT took all of about 14 days total.

I'm STILL happy with VT. I've adjusted my numbers to reflect the further experience.

member for 13.7 years, 1529 visits, last login: 4.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by jmelcher See Profile

• Location: Evansville,Vanderburgh,IN
Good "Inexpensive, Good Control Panel, Full of Features, Good Tech Support"
Overall "Good quality for a good price. Reliable."

2/24/09
I decided to switch to another provider after reading great reviews about them. I was able to test the new provider alongside ViaTalk and compare voice quality and Control Panels, Customer Service, etc.

For me, it came down to better voice quality with the new provider and I was able to cut my monthly expense in half. I got tired of the nickel and diming by ViaTalk. For the past 6 months my charges were not consistent and had to ask for credit one month when they mysteriously charged me 200% more sales tax than they should have.

ViaTalk's service was good overall, but VOIPo is better for me.

Update 10/24/08 - Continue to experience great service... no outages experienced at all. e911 now works in my area - have already had to use it once and verified with the dispatcher that all pertinent information was being sent by the adapter/ViaTalk.

Update 8/7/08 - Continue to experience good service. Have only had 1 instance where the service did not work and that was due to being placed onto a "new" server, but after changing back to the original server, "central", service was re-established and no issues since then. People continue to report problems on the forum, but it also appears the majority - if not all - of them, are BYOD customers. I have a Viatalk supplied adapter and couldn't be happier.

Original Post - Great service, reliable and fast tech support. Rec'd adapter 3 days after ordering service, plugged it into my router and began making/receiving calls. Ported my number from AT&T in 1 week after submitting the paperwork.

Comments:

Review by dkennedy See Profile

• Location: Schenectady,Schenectady,NY
Good "can't beat the value for the money plus the great service"
Bad "monthly regulatory fee and e911 (although still cheaper than most with great call quality)"
Overall "yes, they had their hiccups, but they keep going and going like the energizer bunny....great service...no complaints!"

From verizon freedom $69/month to time warner digital phone $39/month to sunrocket $16/month to vonage $24/month and now with ViaTalk for $15/month. I paid $199 for 18 months plus the E911 and regulatory fee of $62.10 for 18 months for a grand total of $261.10 for 18 months or $14.50 a month.

For everything that you would want in a phone, I fine viatalk a great value for the money, plus great call quality and support. Their customer service is the best of all the previous services I had. Yes they had their moments when you couldn't reach customer service because of all the calls they get, specially, on days when they run their promotions...but nothing out there can beat their serivice in value for your money.

Comments:

Review by vhm_14u2c See Profile

• Location: East Mc Keesport,Allegheny,PA
Good "cost efficient, good call blocking features"
Bad "monthly regulatory and e911 fee even though annual+ contract"
Overall "has improved greatly since I started with them"

ViaTalk has greatly improved since I have started with them a few years back. They have robust call blocking features including anonymous call block (something I requested from Vonage when I had them before my current voip but was never able to add).
I am also able to use phone during holdays now which is a plus and was not able to do during 2006 and 2007 holiday season.

Something to be aware of, but is not a problem with ViaTalk or any other voip service: If you have a low cost DSL service, (ex: lowest tier with Verizon), you will have voice issues if you are doing any type of data activity on the PC. Good examples of data activity, anti-virus/windows updates, downloading files, loading webpages, etc.

They also have some specials they run every now and then which is a plus, example would be $199 for 18 months of service.

Only quirk on this though is you will stll be charged each month for a regulatory and e911 recovery fee, but good thing is, it is low cost, aprox $2.50/month.

If you are looking for a decent voip provider, give ViaTalk a try. I am glad I am still with them.

Comments:

Review by ben14 See Profile

• Location: Hollywood,Broward,FL
Good "Excellent uptime, excellent audio, great staff to help. Creating new features all the time!"
Bad "It was hard to reach support during SR crisis. Support is easier to reach now!"
Overall "The best VOIP service avalable at the moment at the lowest price possible."

I came from Sunrocket, in May 2007. I was lucky got my full two years out of them. Viatalk, is a better quality VOIP company as far as I can tell. Though the terms of the contract if you don't stay aren't as good as they could be. I have lead six friends to them and we are ALL happy.

Support was particularly helpful in the porting of my parents and my numbers to them. My number was ported AFTER Sunrocket went belly up. I my parents done in a week from AT&T. Support now calls you back if too busy at that moment.

Its now February 2009, I have nothing but goood luck with Viatalk and their personnel! I have three lines with them and they all ran near flawlessly, and with FailSafe, I never missed a single call.

member for 11.4 years, 888 visits, last login: 1.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by ttoonz See Profile

• Location: Newburgh,Orange,NY
Good "Great call quality, cheap service, good customer service so far..."
Bad "None, so far..."
Overall "So far, so good...I'm in..."

Read a lot about VOIP before choosing a provider. Every single one of them had their share of bad reviews. You have to keep in mind, though- that most people who are happy with the service are too busy using it to post a review. It's the dissatisfied people who are always the loudest, and you have to take what they say with a grain of salt. Not that there aren't a few companies out there who deserve their bad rep- however, I don't feel that ViaTalk should be lumped in with them...

I chose carefully, considering call quality, cost, location, and customer reviews. Although I did have some reservations, I was so sick of paying Verizon a fortune for plain vanilla service, that I simply had to try ViaTalk. Currently, I am very happy that I did.

I asked them several questions regarding pricing, equipment, number porting, etc prior to signing up. Every question was answered in a surprisingly timely manner with complete and accurate responses. I chose BYOD and paid for 2 years of service up front. My only sore point is that they need your CC so that they can bill you for taxes, surcharges, and fees on a monthly basis. Not a lot, mind you- Verizon was nailing me for about $25 per month on a phone I never used, so a couple of dollars is not a big deal, but I would have rather paid *everything* up front than to be billed monthly for a couple of bucks...kind of silly, if you ask me...

I received my information to connect my device to their service within 24 hours of signing up, and had no problem placing my first call. The sound is clear and loud, and the bell and whistle features that come with the service would cost you a small fortune from Verizon. The fact that I will also no longer see a bill from AT+T for long distance is just icing on the cake...

I had a few questions about device configurations, and their support staff got back to me, usually within hours or even faster- with clear, easy to understand answers, and imo, went over and above to help out a new BYOD subscriber.

I was going to audition the service for 14 days before porting my number, but after about 5 days, I was sold, and asked them to port my old Verizon number over to their service. Although they said that it might take up to 20 days, the porting was complete in just 4 days flat.

I am very happy with the service thus far, and would recommend ViaTalk to anyone with a good reliable broadband internet connection and a desire to stop being raped monthly by Verizon and AT+T...I am now paying roughly a third of my usual phone bill and getting ten times as much for that money...

Comments:

Review by rsrussell See Profile

• Location: Richardson,Dallas,TX
Good "Inexpensive"
Bad "Customer Service is spotty"
Overall "Good VoIP service -- if you don't have problems"

As with all of life, sometimes things get worse, sometimes they get better. I was disgusted with ViaTalk in late 2007 and early-mid 2008. Customer Service was unreachable and network and CPE outages were more common than I could accept.

Since then, they've worked through most of these problems, and while my VoIP voice quality isn't sparkling clear, I can at least reach customer service and my service is almost entirely stable.

I was satisfied enough that I didn't decide to port my number elsewhere when my contract ended last November. Somehow, I guess that says the most.

It's still a good value for the money.

------ EARLIER UPDATE ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I wrote my original review (below), I couldn't say enough nice things about ViaTalk: great customer service, good quality, fantastic deal for the money.

Then they fell apart.

Now, customer service tickets remain unanswered for weeks, calls to customer service (CS) involve 2 hour wait times, and their technical service quality has grown poor. Some servers seem to work well while others have major problems with making and completing calls. If you're lucky, you reach the one CS rep who knows about this and will switch you. If not, you suffer over & over again.

Until this Summer, I thought I'd found a quality replacement for AT&T / Verizon / Qwest phone service. ViaTalk has now lost my trust due to poor support and spotty service. I still use them, but with 14 months left on my contract, can you blame me?

-------- ORIGINAL POST -------------

I ordered ViaTalk over the Thanksgiving holiday to take advantage of their 2 years for $199 deal. The reviews here showed it consistantly to be the best consumer VoIP service for the money.

For some reason, it took them about 5-6 days to process my order, but after that, everything proceeded smoothly. I received their access device in about 3 days, plugged it in, and all worked. It then took them about 8 days to get my number ported, which between AT&T and ViaTalk resulted in about 5 hours of service downtime. They did send me an email to notify me that porting was complete, which was appreciated.

Since then, I've had little glitches, all of which I've handled using their online problem reporting system. In all cases, I've received a response and/or fix in 1-2 hours or less, which I consider fantastic customer service.

This is a good, reliable service with great customer service. I'd recommend them in a heartbeat.

Comments:

Review by Cwmson See Profile

• Location: Richmond,Henrico,VA
Good "FAST, Easy Set Up"
Bad "Updated---NONE!!!"
Overall "Call quality good when it's working which is most of the time :)"

---------------------------------Updated FEBRUARY 2, 2009----------------------------------------------

Looks like Viatalk has worked out most of the kinks with the new servers....had a few hickups but my service is flawlessly working now. Let's hope it stays that way for a while. Using the Fax2Email service that Viatalk offers, GoToFax....works...still wish Viatlak could have fixed their Fax2Email service, it was just a little cheaper.

----------------------------------Updated OCTOBER 14, 2008-------------------------------------------

Still seems to work around 95% of the time which isn't bad. I still haven't had my Fax2Email problem working as advertised. They did give me a credit for the service. I haven't heard anything from them on the Fax2Email problem since July 31, 2008 and it has been put "On Hold" by them. My ticked had been originally opened in May of 2008 though.

VTBrendan offered me one of the new Grandstream adapters but it wouldn't work for me as it was supposed to. I have Verizon FiOS and they use the Actiontec wireless router. However I was able to "now" put my Linksys WRT-150N router in front of the Actiontec and it's handling all of the DHCP. The Actiontec only handles the T.V. part (coax). It's working very good this way, better that before and I wish I had of kept the Grandstream to use with the setup I have now.

Oh well.

Over all I'm still pleased with the service but the tech support wait is impossible at times. Of course they now will call you back if there is a longgggg wait which a good thing.

------------------------------------UPDATED JULY 27, 2008----------------------------------------------

The phone service is working at around 99% for me........my only complaint is the customer service......at first they would communicate with me almost as quickly as I made a request via support ticket. My problem lies in the FAXTOEMAIL service. It works fine via email unless I add attachments in the .pdf format....which is their recommendation.....it truncates/cuts off the top portion of every page. I have had this ticket open since June 7, 2008. At first VTBrendan was on top of this problem and told me they would get right on my problem....they probably are but when I ask for an update I get NO REPLY. That's what really irks me, I don't mind waiting to be fixed but I would like to know that someone IS working on the problem. I have been very patient so far and I will try to continue this. I work on computers for a living so I know what kind of things can happen but I value customer support over anything else....that's what keeps your customers coming back...I know, been in business for 10 years and I actually recommend ViaTalk to my customers who are looking for alternative phone service.

Like I said, I'm happy with the phone service...just wish the FaxToEmail would work. I use that to send invoices to my customers.

-------------------------UPDATED APRIL 23, 2008 -------------------------

I just signed up again last week, April 14, 2008, and I had a couple of issues but they were worked out quickly. I also had my old Verizon telephone number ported to ViaTalk and that only took 5 days. Not bad!

It's been exactly 2 years since originally had service with ViaTalk and I must say that it HAS gotten much better. The DTMF issues I had the first time are non existant. I signed up for 1yr. with 1 Free year, free equipment, $1.95 for 50 Fax to Email's, that works great, and I can even send and receive faxes normally......not bad. I'm very pleased so far this go around. I did have a problem faxing out at first but I figured that out myself and then after they ported my number the email that I wanted my Fax to Emails to come would not save but I put in a ticket.....that didn't get any response so I called them this morning and they had me fixed up in about 10 mins.

================================================================================== ======================================

I have been reading reviews and posts looking for a VoIP provider for a while now and I finally went with ViaTalk. The price pulled me in because of the deal with the "coupons". If you use a coupon you can get up to $35 off of your setup as I did. I was offered that money towards any international calls but I don't make any.

If you decide to sign up you can use DSLREPORTS as your coupon code as I did but you may have to contact them to make sure you get your discount. That's what I had to do.....but the customer service guy "Jim" was a pleasure to work with and took care of the problem in a few minutes via email support. I Signed up on Sunday night and hadn't heard anything so I contacted them via there LIVE customer/sales service right from there website. The lady I talked with checked my order and validated it for me while I was chating with her and I was set up right then. I got the confirmation email a few minutes after. That's what I call quick. I didn't have my own equipment so mine is on the way and should be here tomorrow.

Update....while I was writing this review my equipment arrived. Will update in a few moments. (Got to set this up)

OK. Everything went smooth and I'm using my phone now. This is new so I will be back with any good or bad advice I have. So far so good!

May 3, 2006 - I ordered another line and adapter a week ago for my second line and it is working fine. I have been having some issues with the voicemail setup on my first line. Also having problems with my faxing on line2. I paid for the ability to fax in or get faxes. I have a ticket for both problems.

Other than that, everything is great!

===========================================================

I canceled the Fax service as it was never set up.....I found out I didn't really need it. I can send and receive faxes fine.

I'm having problems using the touch tone to enter in codes to my office voicemail. When they fixed that, I started having problems trying to get my voicemail from ViaTalk. I called and the support tech, Karen, put in a ticket with Level 2 support.....we will see. My other adapter works fine, it's the new model with the green lights....no problems with it. The one I'm having problems with it the older BLUE light model. Maybe they will send me another one.

Other than a few hickups, everything is fine.

Finally had to switch back to Verizon as I could never get the phones tochtones to work with outside/other services..........sorry to had to cancel the service, but need the touch tones for my work vmail services........................

Comments:

Review by SquareSlinky See Profile

• Location: Tampa,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Easy set up, lots of options for configuration. American Customer Service"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Great option for those with the bandwidth."

I have been a VoIP customer for over 4 years now. I have tried Voicewing, Vonage and now Viatalk. I like Viatalk the best so far.

Update January, 2009: Still on ViaTalk. While there have been hiccups over the time I have had their service, I have found it to be reliable and a of good voice quality. I get no complaints from the callers on the other end either.

Keep up the good work ViaTalk.

member for 10.8 years, 2317 visits, last login: 3.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by icici See Profile

• Location: Ashburn,Loudoun,VA
Good "lots of features, good tech support, cheap"
Bad "nothing worth mentioning (so far)"
Overall "worth the 2-year contract (if they last that long :-)"

I had been with Vonage for 2+ years before I decided to switch over to viaTalk.
Reasons for the switch: ever increasing vonage bill. I was on the 24.99 unlimited plan. The bill gradually increaded from 27.48 to 31 when I switched.
Why I chose viatalk:
1. Good reviews on this forum and also nearby colleague(s)
2. Good price (I got the 199 BOGO free deal).
3. Lot more features.
4. I (currently) prefer the company to manage the adapter but will like to have the option of BYOD in the future if needed.

My ISP: Verizon FiOS. 5MB/2MB plan. Has been rock solid since the day I ordered.

Now to the actual review:
Order Process: I ordered online on Feb 14th withe 199 BOGO deal. Final cost (including shippping and other fees) was $240. It took a few days (4, I think) for my order to be processed.
Installation:
Once processed and while I waited for the adapter to arrive, I setup the softphone and used it a couple of time without any problems. Softphone setup was a breeze and took about 10 minutes. The router arrived on the 23rd and I just had to plug it in and let it initialize. Took no more than 5-10 minutes.

Once setup, I forwarded my vonage numer to viaTalk and used VT extensively (mostly by the Mrs) to test it out with no problems. The feature the Mrs. loved (and was missing from Vonage) was the personalized incomming callerId. After satisfactory service for 2 weeks, I initiated the number transfer on March 9th. I followed up with VT support (via email and phone) to make sure that they received the documents. The port was completed on March 25th.

Call Quality: The call quality has been excellent for most of the time and we have not experienced any noticable outages. The slightly lower rating is because, sometimes (less than 5%) our calls do not get thru, or they get thru but we do not hear a ring tone till the other party answers.

Tech Support: I found tech support to be much better than vonage. I had to call a couple of time: once to get the details of the soft-phone setup and the other was to fix the time in the callerId list.

No issues so far and we plan to keep VT (hoping that it will last for the full 2 year and more)

Update 3/18/2008: I've had viaTalk for over 1 year now. No complains so far..and I LOVE the 2 lines. I'm now in my "free" year and based onmy experience so far, I will not hesitate to renew my contract once it expires.

Update: 1/16/2009 - No issues yet. The service has been solid. Still LOVE the 2-line feature. I will renew before by 2 year term is up.

member for 9.3 years, 1552 visits, last login: 2.4 years ago