ViaTalk page on DSLReports

Review by Tsume See Profile

• Location: Winter Park,Orange,FL
Good "Call quality, short hold times, two lines"
Bad "Rate increases, lack of communication within viatalk, extra fee if you want 2nd number"
Overall "Best provider for the price that I can find."

Jan 01 2009
Increased all my ratings to reflect the new cp, and my excellent experience with support that helped tune my adapter to work better with my DIR-655 router. Decreased reliability a bit as even with my router giving the PAP2T full priority, SIP ALG disabled, DNS relay disabled, other problematic dlink features disabled, some calls still fail to connect on the first try. Not entirely Viatalk's fault, but they should really try to find a way to work around it seeing as D-Link has a 0% chance to fix their stuff and it's a popular router. Skype works awesome, why not VT? That's how I see it anyway. When connected straight to the modem I've yet to encounter the problem, YMMV. Overall my opinion with Viatalk since when I signed up has greatly improved. The "regulatory" fees have gone down recently as well.

May 08
The hold times have finally shortened to their pre-Sunrocket lengths. The rates have gone up which annoys me, however everything seems to be working fine now. Support was very helpful when I wanted to switch my number to an Orlando number, another fee there but I was not surprised.

July 07
Got VT right after the SR apocalypse...

Current problems...
-"Priority Support" - The whole concept is insulting.
-Old number still shows up in CP

My major problems were...
-Notices for overdue invoices at the fault of their systems
-Phone 1 light off but phone 2 light on
-Desynched ringing on line 1 and 2
-Outbound calls rarely going through
-CallerID never showed up
-Number port took FOREVER

They've all been solved by now, the only one which was solved by the help of a VT staff was the port, though. The rest just kinda fixed themselves, nothing the VT staff told me to do fixed it.

member for 10.3 years, 2637 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by CampMaster See Profile

• Location: Trabuco Canyon,Orange,CA
Good "Continues to work!"
Bad "They discontinued their Fax Service"
Overall "Tech Support is VERY slow to respond"

12/27/08 - The service continues to be solid for me. I am using a Linksys BYOD TA on the Cox residential network and have not had any issues. Solid.

4/25/08 - Service has been good for me, over all, I am pleased. Recently signed up for their Fax Service and have been having problems. I have had a Service ticket open for over 1month and not received any updates in the last three weeks, nothing. Not happy about that.

9/5/07 - I have been having various issues, mostly related to VM. Pauses during message playback or even the initial VT person speaking. Fast Busy's when trying to call in for VM. Very slow support response. Call quality is okay.

7/26/07 - I just got my email confirmation from VT Today, Port completed!

Logged into my VT account and everything was updated!

Just had to change my VT login to my new phone number, same password and I was in. Had to update my E911 info for the ported number and everything else I had configured on the temp VT number had already been updated!

Called my my number and since my ATA had not been reconfigured for the ported number, my failover phones rang! AWESOME!

Just updated the config in my BYOD ATA and all was well!

Took 11 total days (10 if you don't count today) to port. My phone # was not a SR provided number, it came from my ATT, COX, then SR and now VT.

7/16/07 - Got confirmation of receipt of LOA by VT. Email communication has been good and responsive. They seem to want to help get my number ported from SR ASAP!

Heard rumors of Sunrockets demise and decided to signup for ViaTalk as a just in case.

Signed up for ViaTalk BYOD, 2for1 @ $199 on Friday July 6th and got my Info on Monday, July 9th. Setup my Linksys PAP2T-NA without issue. All working as advertised. Setup a variety of configurable options in the Control Panel and all is working as advertised!

Sunrockets demise seems to have come today, Friday the 13th, 2007 of all days. I Faxed ViaTalk my LOA to port my number from SR, I sure hope they can get it!!

I reserve Call Quality, Reliability and Tech Support after time to evaluate them more.

member for 13.1 years, 2414 visits, last login: 229 days ago

Comments:

Review by BoulderBoy See Profile

• Location: Boulder,Boulder,CO
Good "CHEAP"
Bad "Not perfect, no fax by default"
Overall "Adequate for my needs"

Unlimited, BYOD package. Not a perfect VoIP system, but neither was Sunrocket. Once I used Sunrocket's setup for the eATA, even faxing works most of the time (I have only tried 1-3 pages at a time.)

For all the bellyaching I see on the forums, folks need to consider the statistical denominator = viaTalk has squillions of customers so the folks complaining about all the badness are barely a blip compared to the folks who for the most part are satisfied.

I opened a ticket with VT on Saturday night and they answered it appropriately on SUNDAY afternoon. That is good service, folks.

Most of the jive I see going on is about the taxes and fees. Those are applied by your MUNICIPALITY folks - if you like government, there you have it. Greedy as ever. Want to get rid of those fees and taxes, you know what to do.

Comparable service from Comcast as the ISP where I live would cost me OVER $50/month, so I have a long way to go before I start complaining.

B

Comments:

Review by rockcreek See Profile

• Location: Bethesda,Montgomery,MD
Good "cheap, improved control panel"
Bad "awful setup time, occasional bad connections"
Overall "wouldn't be here if not for pricing"

I was a longtime Vonage user, and got frustrated with their complete refusal to update their feature set. Couldn't route calls, couldn't block specific numbers, etc. After an aborted attempt to get with SunRocket (their fault, and thank goodness), I ported quickly to ViaTalk.

Since I've been here, it seems that call setup times have been getting longer and longer. 4-5 second setup length and occasionally longer. There are whole swaths of people who say they cannot dial my number, and there are known incompatibilities with some VOIP PBXs (like the one at my wife's office.) There have been numerous occasions where I've gotten fast-busy on dialout, only to go to my cell phone and get right on. And the CID can't ever get the time right.

For al of this, the feature set is pretty good (the reason I switched from Vonage in the first place), and when it works, it's fine. And they did upgrade the user CP, much improved over the first version. But ... I also used to get (unofficial) fax dial-out on Vonage, and that's no longer here. I'm definitely going to shop when the contract is up, and barring something significantly different, I'll probably change.

Comments:

Review by jonk_ny See Profile

• Location: Plainview,Nassau,NY
Good "Dependable Quality; Easy Install; Reliable; Excellent Value; Vastly Improved Customer Service"
Bad "NONE"
Overall "A Company that Will Exceed Your Expectations and Works to Rectify Any Deficiencies"

I recently had two technical problems (retrieving my voicemail and telephone ring voltage) and a question about confirming my service upgrade.

I want to commend Viatalk on their new Customer Service Ticket System.

Each ticket I filed was answered quickly and resolved in a very professional and friendly manner.

I complained about the quality of Customer Service when I first joined in November 2006, so I felt it was only right to praise Viatalk for its improvements!

Up until my upgrade this month I was paying $30.50 per month for their service because I had read the complaints and had prior Customer Service problems. Due to the vast improvement I experienced, I took advantage of their promotion for existing customers and prepaid $199 plus charges for the next 18 months. (With additional charges my prepaid cost is $243.09, or $13.51 per month.)

All other things being even, just like an automobile, it's Customer Service that makes the difference between one VOIP and another.

I will definitely tell my friends and coworkers about Viatalk's Excellent Service.

Keep Up the Good Work!

Comments:

Review by ptrowski See Profile

• Location: Putnam,Windham,CT
Good "Good amount of featueres..."
Bad "Seems to be none right now...."
Overall "Back to where they were pre-SR crash."

11/17/08-Updated price per month as something goofy happened, was showing $3014!

10/3/08 Updating again. I lowered the value for money due to the new taxes being added, but upped the quality and reliability since I have been using the new Grandstream adapter. It is a nice little device and seems alot more stable than the PAP2 was. Ideally I would like the price to be lower, but having the second line is something the wife has been accustomed to now.

5/8/08 Upgrading the stats again. The service has been good for me lately, and the WAF is back up to where it should be. I pick up the phone, dial it and it works. The new CP is clean, easy to use. I am coming to the end of my two year term now. If they stay this way I will renew, but always keep options open. For me the $200 or so I paid for 2 years of service has been money well spent.

1/14/08 I had to downgrade VT quite a bit...
People have tried to call out house multiple times to RSVP for my daughters birthday party and get a fast busy yet the phone rings on our end and picks up dead air. When we dial out we get dead air. And now the DTMF tones are not working, prompting my wife to say "this is freaking ridiculous".
VT needs to stop creating extra features and worry about the main feature-being able to use the phone.

UPDATE-Just saw they are raising their fees. Bad timing especially after the spotty service and the issues they had last Friday.

2/28/06 Since the dynamic routing upgrades I can't think of any major issues I have had with VT. There was some outgoing echo I noticed but fixed that with a setting in the pap2. Call quality has been great, no billing problems, other features have been added with more in the works, the CEO Brendan can personally help with issues, and I have referred a few people over to their service. It works like it should.

No problems.

9/9/06 VT has had some rough spots lately with the Dynamic Routing upgrade. Friday my service was up and down for a few hours, luckily no one is home during the day...

4/25/06 So far everything is good, no issues, got my admin password, going well. No drop outs, fixed some choppiness, smooth sailing so far.

I signed up on Friday to evaluate ViaTalk next to my Vonage line, easy order process, used the DSLREPORTS coupon. My adapter arrived the next day. I will update the reviews after more use.

member for 9.3 years, 4323 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by new2sbcdsl See Profile

• Location: Lake Villa,Lake,IL
Good "Ordering was a breeze . forums are a blast . lots of good info"
Bad "Sometimes issues with no dialtone due to server outages"
Overall "Looks like a solid service so far"

after researching providers and wanting to get out of vonage land .
i looked viatalk and sunrocket up.
from the forums sunrocket was having issues so i decided to go to viatalk.
the ordering process was smooth and even before usps updated their site i recieved the equipment.
the best thing i like about viatalk is they let you BYOD or give you admin access to the pap-2t that they send . this is really convenient since i can just setup my other voip provider as a second line and have only on ATA.
I've been with viatalk for more than a year now and did renew the contract. They are also offering good international rates which have made me keep them as a provider

member for 11.6 years, 1554 visits, last login: 1.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by DonaldV See Profile

• Location: Valhalla,Westchester,NY
Good "Relatively consistent, very little loss of service, website is pretty well organized."
Bad "Call customer service: Your are call number 81 in the queue. Who has time for that sort of thing?"
Overall "Other than the customer service issues, the service is great and cheaper than any bundle you'll find out there."

I came to Viatalk when the now infamous Sunburst imploded. It took a while to make the transition since no one really knew what was happening with either company and so many people had suddenly lost their service at Sunrocket. Viatalk took some time but managed to get me up and running in a relatively short period of time. I would certainly recommend this VoIP service.

Comments:

Review by adrman See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Price"
Bad "Intermittent voice quality issues, sometimes unknowledgable and rude tech support"
Overall "Once it's set up and working Viatalk is fine for the money, if you have problems though..."

Since the Sunrocket fiasco, my service has been very stable with the exception of the voice quality issues that pop up every now and then. Also, I added the priority tech support option to my account about a year ago because hold times were so long with the standard phone support. Still, I'm not sure it's worth the added cost because most of the reps I spoke with were either condescending or not very knowledgeable. I've solved more problems/issues by reading the forums here and interacting with the Viatalk reps that monitor them. When my annual plan is up next April, I'll evaluate other options, but if Viatalk remains as stable as it is now and the price doesn't dramatically increase, I'll most likely renew with them.

Comments:

Review by haaske See Profile

• Location: Charlotte,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "Cheap VOIP, good for people who use cell mostly but want a cheap home phone"
Bad "Now just not reliable enough to replace POTS...used to be"
Overall "Good for the money."

I have been on Viatalk for almost 18 months now. I was a BYOD customer for a while and that worked fine. Then my ATA got too old and service was not good so I decided to take one of their Linksys PAP2 devices. Unfortunatly, things are not much better. Atleast once per week my wife calls me @ work to say the phone is out. A report of the PAP2 usually fixes the problem, but that is not sufficient.

I can't have the phone out (in comig and out going) once or twice per week.

I am going to move to TimeWarner phone.