ViaTalk page on DSLReports

Review by FarmerBob See Profile

• Location: Beverly Hills,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Great Features and Toys! Other than that RUN!!!!!! Go to VOIPo."
Bad "EVERYTHING! Customer Service is Pathetic! Product Quality is . . . . AHHHHHHHHH!"
Overall "If you need to use your phone, don't use ViaTalk."

·EarthLink
UPDATE (10/13):

It's been a couple of years now and there have been a couple glitches that are expected with the newness of VoIP, but VOIPo has been GREAT!!! Just signed on for another two years. And I am in the process of moving several other lines over to them. The first tech company that I have seen where the CEO has racked up over a million posts taking care of things himself.

UPDATE (10/10):

Have long since gone to VOIPo and have not regretted a moment of it. ViaTalk, at my leaving was a joke. VOIPo focused on actual phone service first, then is adding in all the joys. There have been hiccups and bugs, but their TS has been incredible. Tickets are answered in an insanely short amount of time by people that actually know what they ware talking about and that can get things taken care of.

UPDATE (1/09):

As of Mid November I ran to VOIPo because ViaTalk just got to be too much of a fraud, nothing but lies and false promises that they did start to act, but seriously failed in continuing. I got tired of the lies, outrageously out of line CSR's, the bad calls always attributed to 1. My ISP, or 2. my network, or 3. Me. But never them. Tickets were taking so long to get acted upon, problems had time to resolve themselves before VT ever got to them. I still have tickets that I submitted months ago that were not answered before I left. I got Vonage for a couple of weeks on the same network with the same ISP and it was perfect. The reason I went with VOIPo was I was invited to join them and they have done a good job of starting up and all of my inquiries and "tickets" have been answered by the same people, if not 85% of the time the CEO, that have come to know my network and ISP and look at their end first and work towards me. The adapter, Grandstream HT502, that they use is the one that VIaTalk is moving to but never offered to me, when I have been telling them for the years of my contract that their Linksys gear was crap. Looks like they finally wised up. Too late for me.

Bottom line: STAY AWAY FROM VIATALK! There are too many other providers that you can get far better service from. Plus, at the rate VT is going, they can't be long for this world.

------------------------

After two years with Vonage I was tired of no contemporary market features and excuses as to why they weren't going to have them. But I had NO, ZERO call quality problems. When I first started having problems with ViaTalk, I called and got a TSR that was amazing. But as time went on and the problems went unresolved, increased and got more elaborate, you could tell that he was losing interest in helping. He went from calling me by my first name (he got so he would recognize my voice because I had to call so many times) to calling me Sir and pretending we had never spoken before. The other day I got a TSR that told me I didn't have a problem because everything was fine on their end and started to argue with me. I read him all the eMails that I had up to that point from people that could not get through and it didn't matter. All the while the call was breaking up and hissing, crackling, choppy and I was calling into their VoIP from a POTS line so they could make any changes to my adapter and not loose the call. They were even having problems. I then politely asked to speak with a supervisor and got a ton of really creative excuses why I couldn't. Then when I insisted I was connected to someones voicemail and have never heard back. I have found several recent threads here in DSLR and the VT Forums where others are having the same problems that I am with call quality and Tech Support, so it's not just me. I now eMail instead of calling on the phone when it is important.

I have since resorted to submitting Trouble Tickets through the website of which I can not check them other than a link sent in an eMail. I have performed a mountain of tests that they have requested that would over burden a cancer clinic and all the numbers on my end are great and theirs horrible. So . . . . ? No word from them since my numbers started looking good and theirs not.

I spent three months investigating, checking out every nook and cranny on all relevant forums; calling VT; gaining friends on the VT boards that were a great help, and all "looked" great. I really thought that I had stumbled on a life saving, too good to be true, greatest thing of all time. But within a week of being up and running things started to fall apart. I gave it time and the TSR's all the assistance they needed, put my adapter in the DMZ, rebuilt my network to favor the adapter (my Vonage adapter was buried on my network and NO problems); jumped through hoops and nothing has been accomplished. Now either I have no problems or it's all on my end as per VT TSR's. I have been moved to all servers in my "relative " area, they all have bad latency, but not moved to a server that has good numbers as I have found and requested. You use to be able to do it yourself in the control panel, but that feature has disappeared. The one real reason that I switched was all the great features/toys they have and they are always adding more, even to your line without your knowledge or permission. They did that to me and killed my line and it has never been the same since. Good intentions, bad execution. But as I have read it being said, "They need to knock off the creative stuff and focus on the recently emerging problems." I agree.

There is much more and I really don't want to go any further. Just take this as a friendly warning. If call quality is important to you, or for that matter a call at all - use Vonage. I don't believe I just said that, but sadly it's true.

This is the true sense of the phrase: "You get what you pay for!" And boy am I paying for it. Don't you.

Comments:
alancats

join:2000-09-20
New York, NY
·ViaTalk

Sorry to Hear This

I've had a far different experience with ViaTalk. I've had Viatalk for over two years, and it's run pretty flawlessly for me. The few times that I've had issues, I put in tech support tickets that were promptly answered, and, when I called tech support, I got someone on the line within five minutes. The company is based in upstate New York and I've always found them to be responsive to my needs. The service has worked well for me, but, obviously, if you were dealing with unresolved issues, you're entitled to take your business elsewhere. I've never heard of Voipo; hope it works out for you.

Review by oratam See Profile

• Location: Stockton,Hunterdon,NJ
Good "The service is mostly reliable."
Bad "YOU CAN NEVER LEAVE. ITS WORSE THAN THE MOB."
Overall "ITS LIKE THE MOB, it works when it needs to and screws you over."

I signed up with viatalk after the sunrocket demise and after a short delay due to massive equipment shortages and number porting and equipment setup. To ensure audio quality i made sure to provision my router with qos and port forwarding. except for the once in a long while downtime the connection has been reliable. I am talking 93 to 95% uptime.

The big thing i like is the control panel. With the wide array of features, this is by far the best feature. Being able to control who can call, setting up a wake up call is just a few of the dazzling array of features.

Update 06/20/2010

Renewed with package for 149. A month later saw 30 dollar charge from viatalk, Customer support goes and tells me to go pound sand, and that the fees are mandatory.

No emails relating to fees are being assessed just slammed my cc for the money without hesitation. Leaving them your CC is a bad idea. Do not trust these crooks. They prices they quote do not include tax.

Update 02/02/2013

Filed my cancellation request on the 18th of January did not want to renew service. Had a few problems getting my number ported out, Contacted them several times about CANCELLING MY SERVICE. Did not want it to renew, and guess what. They didn't cancel the service and they renewed me for another year. Slammed me for 200 bucks.

Comments:

Review by sparky007 See Profile

• Location: Avondale,Maricopa,AZ
Good "It worked for about a year"
Bad "It worked only for a year"
Overall "It worked for about a year"

·Vonage
Well what can I say.. It worked for about a year before they started to fail. Basically they could hear me, but I couldn't hear them. Tech support keep swearing it was my equipment. Since my phone wasn't working I forward my via talk number to my cell phone and the problem followed. So much for it's not us and it must be you.

I ported my number back to Cox. It cost about $10 more per month, but it works.

member for 2.9 years, 116 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by tferguson01 See Profile

• Location: Newnan,Coweta,GA
Good "Tons of extras free. Like free second cloned line. NOONE CAN BEAT THIS PRICE!"
Bad "Bad call quality with constant ATA restarts. BOGO deal no longer with no enticing sales."
Overall "With the current BOGO deal @ $189.00 w/ NO CONTRACT and money refundability, makes this company a company not to pass up."

UPDATE: The service just ended up sucking after 5 years. I can't say steer away because everyone and everyones internet is different. I would definitely use their non generous 14 day trial run.

This service is always on with no hiccups. I am a former VONAGE customer. When compared to the big names on the market this company sure competes. Seems like others don't agree. With a descent internet connection (I have 10mbps down / 1mbps up) this company will perform. I send faxes and run my home alarm off of this with no problems. Customer service is great and always there when you need them. They have a call back feature that can't be beat during high call volume days. Second free cloned line is a wonderful feature. Its like having a second phone line but with one number. You may be turned off when you see that to take advantage of the BOGO deal you have to fork out close to 200.00 up front but there is no contract and if you want to cancel anytime within the year you get your money back of the prorated months you didn't use. Give this company a try and you will not be disappointed.

Minimum connection is 69kpbs up and down. The connection speeds that I am running with is well more than enough to withstand this but I have tried it on 3.0mbps down and 128kbps up and it works great also.

If you are wondering how one comes up with $7.87 take $189.00 and divide by 24 because you are getting two years of service.

The fees everyone complains about are different if you pay for the BOGO deal, because you pay for them all up front but the 911 and taxes which amount to $2.45 for me.

UPDATE: Close to six months later and still a head strong company. Not a lick of problems. Sure Vonages new world plan is appealing but unless you call out side of america (Mexico, Europe, Asia) the plan serves no purpose and is still $24.99 plus taxes and fees. Viatalk still has them beat. Number porting can't be easier and I even ported my number from Vonage. No problem. I love ya Viatalk.

UPDATE: How can anyone hate this company and their services. We have recently sign up for the gotfax service for $7.95 what a great service. Viatalk I hope all is well internally because I would hate to have to locate another company after I have experienced all the wonderfuls that you have to offer. I would not hesitate to be a traveling salesman for this company they hands treat all their customers just the way i am sure all big companies used to when they actually cared.

WAY TO GO VIATALK. ANOTHER GREAT REVIEW FROM AN HONEST USER.

Comments:

Review by dipswich See Profile

• Location: Raleigh,Wake,NC
Good "Strong feature set"
Bad "Does not honor its contracts; pads with junk fees; feature-happiness affects stability"
Overall "Cannot support an ethically challenged service"

Signed up July 28, 2006 on a BYOD plan to give service as a gift for 2 years to a college student ($199 buy one/get one year free plan, everything included (including E911)). This was advertised as a "buy it and forget it" plan, and I turned off international dialing to ensure that it would be.

However, on October 16, 2007, a mysterious invoice appeared for a $2.50 "E-911 & Regulatory Recovery Fee." This fee has been invoiced monthly since and attempted to be debited as an unauthorized charge. It leaves a very sour taste in the mouth as an obvious tactic to pad the bill and not in the agreement I made with Viatalk.

Luckily, the credit card I signed up with is no longer active and the accumulating charges have been declined. By continuing to bill, Viatalk has declined to perform on the contract; I plan on testing the arbitration clause at this point.

When service was used, it performed well. Rarely a complaint, although without a provisioned adapter I had to bump servers around occasionally to keep stable service. Based on this, I wouldn't recommend nor would I sign up with Viatalk as BYOD again (or at least, I would let them provision it). I assume stability would be better that way.

I've contacted support twice--
On 7/30/06, I asked about Viatalk provisioning the adapter. A complete response was received 5.5 hours later.
On 10/16/07, I contacted them regarding the mysterious invoice. A canned response was received 672 hours later (that's 28 days).
In the year, the level of support obviously went south.

About the ratings--
Web-site: The control panel is decently designed and covers all the features. I do find myself going in circles every once in a while between billing, support, and call feature management. Due to the daily morning outage and its current unavailability, as well as the too-frequently changing deals on the front page that make shopping the service difficult (and can't be trusted to be honored, anyway), I award 3 out of 5 stars.

Ease of Installation: Within 15 minutes, I had the necessary credentials to begin using the BYOD service. Top rating, here.

Call quality: Not perfect, but far better than a mobile phone. Probably deserving of a 4+, I'm giving it a 4 of 5 as the closest available mark.

Reliability: I'm giving 3 of 5 here due to a couple of outages that I've noticed with Viatalk. Often, changing servers gets it back quickly, but that's a hassle. Again, I think a provisioned device might offer a little better reliability, but I'm rating the service as sold and received.

Tech support: 28 days to answer a billing question is excessive, pure & simple. And, tickets are not answered in the order they were received. 2 out of 5.

Value for money: This is a hard one to rate. Assigning value purely on service and price, Viatalk is probably a 4. However, I'm bundling in the bumbled ethics of changing contract prices here. And, being an honor question, it weights heavily. I am giving 3 of 5, and stretching to do that. 2 of 5 after a second junk fee increase announced three months later.

***6/18/2008 Update***
Nothing's changed, except I can confirm that service is suspended due to disputing the E911 and "Regulatory Recovery" fees. Real telecom companies don't suspend service while hashing out a dispute. Adjusting "value" accordingly.

Luckily, I can't use Viatalk, as I'm sure I'd notice, based on the forum complaints, sub-par reliability and call quality. Since I'm not, I can't reduce the ratings on those components.

I cannot recommend this service.

***7/22/2008 Update***
I've had a pretty simple request in with support. They aren't responding. That's "worst."

I've also lowered the web-site rating, as the information in the most important page, the Terms of Service, is pretty bad. You'll want to read it before signing up, especially the part about
"ViaTalk LLC may update this agreement at any time without notice and you are agreeing to such changes in advance."

***1/7/2012 Update***
In response to a complaint I filed with the NY Attorney General's office, Viatalk responded with outright incorrect information. They refuted independent, third-party snapshots of their website and terms of service. They also failed to respond to arbitration-- the same arbitration they require in their terms. The amounts involved were too small to justify taking this to the Halfmoon Justice Court, this was put to bed long ago.

The best way to protect your consumer rights is to avoid companies like this.

member for 11.1 years, 3650 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by walterpond See Profile

Bad "Horrible experience with customer service and management"
Overall "Major customer service and management problems"

Multiple issues:
Poor service - frequent outages
Arrogant management
Customer service reps that criticizes the customer
Convoluted pricing and no option to pay in advance - constant monthly credit card with poor reporting
Major loss of service - company offers extra year of service than cancels offer.
Company employees post own reviews on sites acting as a customer.
Reps/Mgt to speak to customers by phone - yet they are phone company.
BBB unaccredited them for numerous complaints year ago yet they continue to be step on customers.

Comments:

Review by azhar230 See Profile

• Location: Crofton,Anne Arundel,MD
Good "Two lines."
Bad "Bad Promise. Unreliable Service. Affiliate program is pure SCAM"
Overall "Risky company. Stay away"

I signed up with them more than two years ago. Call quality is not bad, but sometimes their server goes down and you need to make change on the website to different server. Affiliate program is a LIVE SCAM. Initially I liked the service and refereed six - seven people but till now I didn't get a single penny. Contacted customer service but they will tell you straight on your face that affiliate department is separate from them. Besides affiliate program, phone service is so bad sometimes, some of my referred friends end up signing up with other companies without getting any refund from viatalk. If you are near to their server location you might be lucky to have good connection. Now a days I use google voice for free and planning to sign up with voipo.com. Another fact: on the web they advertise unlimited, but actually it's limited. Read their fine prints with magnifying glass. More facts: Every month they will charge you $3 to $4 extra for E911, taxes, fees, etc...After all they will put you in a trap that you will have no escape. Stay away from viatalk.

Comments:

Review by iLive4Fusion See Profile

• Location: Helena,Shelby,AL
Good "Exellent Call Quality, Caller ID, standard features are great"
Bad "CS may sometimes have a bad attitude, but you will find that in any company."
Overall "Overall they are a wonderfull VOIP company that offers alot"

I ordered ViaTalk and selected the rush order and service was set up within hours of my order. I used the BYOD credentials so I can use the service until my free Pap 2 adapter comes. They have had problems routing my 911 calls to the right place but assured me it will be fixed soon. The call quality is very crisp and clear. I would reccomend this service to anyone.

Update : July 14, 2007

I have recived my adapter by Priority mail today and I now have 2 phone lines. The service is crystal clear and very reliable

Update November 28, 2010 - I have discontinued services with ViaTalk, the service was great even though I found the CEO to have an attitude sometimes but I have a UVERSE from the phone company for 911 and my Alarm and have unlimited minutes on Verizon Wireless so I have no need for VOIP.

Update : July 17, 2007

I spoke with a customer service rep about E911 and he was very rude and unprofessional. He said I do not like your tone which is very out of line for a service rep. One rule in bussiness is you NEVER argue with a customer. I think he needs to change his attitude or find another career. I guess you will find rude rep.s in every company though. I am not bashing, I just really did not have a good experience with the rep. Everything else is wonderfull though.

Update: July 31'st 2007

Well everything is well now, sound quality is great, CS finally pulled through for me was were very helpfull and have gotten my E911 routed to the correct 911 center.

Update: September 3, 2007

Well my adapter's line 2 port has gone out now and I opened a ticket via priority support over 2 weeks ago on August 18'th and no response! If they can't even respond it shows how much of a devoted support team they have.

Update : September 9, 2007

Ok well I have pm'd VTbrendan and not help from him. My support ticket is not being responded to again. I think I should just give up all hope on VT and switch companies

Update : December 3, 2008
So I have a major house fire and my adapter is ruined and I want to get started using the service again. But I can't afford a new adapter at this point in time and I am paying them a lot every month and they are too greedy to send me out a free adapter. Here is their response to me wanting a new adapter

"====== Please reply above this line ======

Adapter lost in House fire

Hello ,

I'm going to agree with the fire marshall and recommend that you do not use the adapter if it is covered in an inch of soot; I was merely commenting on your account's registration status as requested when this ticket was opened. Unfortunately, we will not be able to send out a free replacement adapter. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thank you.

---
Lucas
Via:Talk Support Supervisor"

Comments:

Review by Medic63 See Profile

• Location: Butler,Butler,PA
Good "Nice feature set, tech. support in USA."
Bad "Tech support gave up."
Overall "Stopped working for me after almost four years."

After using Vonage for almost two years and growing tired of waiting for Anonymous Call Rejection and CallerID with my name on outgoing calls, I decided to try something else. I've read all these stellar reviews about ViaTalk, and how they stacked up against the competition, so I placed an order on Friday, March 31. Five days later, my brand- spankin' new Linksys PAP-2 arrived. (Luckily, I already have a router. If you don't read the ViaTalk site carefully, you might not know you need one to use the PAP-2) Installation was a breeze, couldn't be any simpler unless someone else does it for you. Only took about a minute to plug all the wires in (ethernet, phone, power) and the PAP-2 was ready to go. Now, I've only had ViaTalk for several days, and I hope I'm the exception, but so far, I'm less than ecstatic. My first phone call was no good. The party on the other end heard nothing but static, and promptly hung up. I re-booted the PAP-2 and tried again. Better this time, at least I could carry on a conversation, but there was a lot of noise on my end. Static, echo, hum, just plain noise. The other party heard none of this, so I thought it was my phone. I tried several different phones, corded and cordless, all with the same results. I'm hoping ViaTalk tech. support can solve this, as I really like the features ViaTalk offers. If they can't, I guess I'll be sticking with Vonage.

[UPDATE- 4-29-06] I was able to solve the noise issue with the shorted 'jumper' wire in the unused second phone port. It is now as quiet as my Vonage line was. I have ported my number over to ViaTalk, and am canceling Vonage ASAP.

On the downside, there is a relatively long delay (up to 15 seconds) between dialing and connection unless you dial 11 digits or the '#' sign after dialing.

[UPDATE 7-28-10] I should have posted this six months ago, but didn't think about it. I stopped using ViaTalk in February after almost four years. I was having problems alternating between being unable to receive calls then unable to make calls. Their tech support was unable to solve the problem and finally resorted to blaming it on issues on my end of the connection. In other words, they couldn't fix it and gave up, so I gave up on them. I now have VOIP through my local cable company.

member for 10.4 years, 2967 visits, last login: 115 days ago

Comments:

Review by DrFillster See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Fayette,KY
Good "cheap; good call quality (when it works)"
Bad "wasted my time port forwarding, No tivo"
Overall "Finally got rid of it. They've stayed amateur too long..."

Update 2 years later (9/14/08) : Last year has had it's share of (mostly) downs. Meant to cancel but got automatically charged for another year (without discounts!) Some numbers I just can't call at all. Others give up calling this number as the delay is very long before a connection. Overall I'm tired of the promises of improved connectivity 'anyday now' It's become a chore. I really hope for the best with these guys but the changing fees, service levels, and quality are grating.

Okay, so I ordered viatalk on 6/20 with their 2 years / $200 deal (really $240 after bs fees).
It processed immediately and Viatalk sent it out that day. The USPS never acknowledged receiving the box but it arrived anyway 2 days later. (This was standard delivery btw).

The linksys PAP2 came with virtually no instructions. So I plugged it into my DI-514 router and... it didn't work. So then I played with port forwarding for an hour and... it didn't work.

So then I did the dreaded and called customer service expecting a 1/2 hour wait. I got connected in about 5 minutes to a knowledgable person (amazing in this day and age). Turns out the linksys adapter's MAC wasn't registered or provisioned or whatever you call it. 5 minutes later, it just works. Quality is very good. I tried it on multiple people and they didn't know I was using VOIP. 7 digit

I've got a 3 week wait on porting my phone number over.

In the end, I'm going to save about $400 a year and have a lot more services. Not perfect but way worth it.

11/28/2006 - Nearly flawless service. Not for the technically incompetent - but if you're on dslreports.com; you'll be glad you did it.

7/22/07 - Occasionally choppy service. But always usable. Wife is just "okay" with the service. TIVO doesn't work.

member for 12.6 years, 564 visits, last login: 3.1 years ago