TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by ed_scott0013 See Profile

• Location: Kanata,ON
Good "Stable service, good support, and excellent value!"
Bad "Can be frustrating when the connection goes down."
Overall "Definitely worth a look; A great alternative to the larger providers."

Before I begin, I'm going to give you some background on my DSL/Telephone services:

In 2008, I had Bell High-Speed Internet (5/1) as well as Bell Home Phone (basic, no frills phone). As soon as I could, I dropped the Bell High Speed (check out my other review for the details) and switched to TekSavvy DSL (also 5/1). But due to contracts, and house moves, etc. I was using the standard home phone service for the next 5 years. No complaints about that, other than the price (no value for money, costs steadily climbing, etc.)

All in all, the price was about $90 per month for the two ($40 for TekSavvy DSL and $50 for Bell basic home phone, taxes included).

Now, I'm paying $62 monthly for TekSavvy DSL 15/1 + TekTalk Unlimited, which gives me many more features for the money. Honestly, I was pretty giddy when I saw the options I had access to when I logged into the TekTalk portal. Custom rules for call forwarding/blocking? Voice mail messages listenable online? Unlimited long distance in North America? All awesome!

Anyways, since the focus of this review is supposed to be the DSL, I'll get right on it: It's amazing when it works, but can be frustrating when it doesn't.

When everything is working as intended, it's pretty much unicorns and rainbows all the way down: It's a solid 15 Mbps download (with approx. 700 kbps upload). Gaming is snappy, no lags when chatting with my friends, and huge patches (GB sized patches) and games from Steam (multi-GB sized games) can max out the connection with little issue.

In my experience with TekSavvy, I've had three occurrences of bad DSL service: the first one was when for some reason, my house was connected to the wrong DSLAM (is that even possible?) but after some quick troubleshooting by the great folks on the TekSavvy Direct Forum here on DSLReports, a Bell tech came out and fixed me up.

The second occurrence was when I got switched over to TekTalk, but that wasn't their fault at all... I was too impatient and didn't wait for the analog telephone adapter to do its magic before trying to use the phone. Even though it was my issue, the TekSavvy techs on the phone were super helpful.

As a side note: my transition from TekSavvy DSL 6/1 + Bell Landline to TekSavvy DSL 15/1 + TekTalk Unlimited VOIP was as seamless as it could be. Number ported over without incident, dry loop set up, everything working as intended... after I let the ATA do its thing, of course.

The third occurrence was recently, when my previously solid 15/1 service became more like a 6/1 service with frequent disconnects. Another round of diagnostics with the TS Direct Forum guys, another Bell technician, and I'm back in the game again.

All these issues aside, these guys are willing to work with you to get your problems solved. To me, that's important. If you want a good (who am I kidding... great!) DSL provider, TekSavvy is a solid choice.

Tech details:
- DSL Modem: D-Link DSL-520B (purchased from Canada Computers)
- DSL Modem (Retired): Thomson Speedtouch ST516 (purchased from TekSavvy). Has some issues with overheating, but it still works. I keep it around as a backup when diagnosing issues. It has also been modified with a copper heatsink on the Broadcom chip, and lots of holes drilled into the plastic case.
- Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA): Grandstream HT502 (purchased from TekSavvy with TekTalk VOIP)
- Router: D-Link DIR-625 (purchased from FutureShop)

Random notes:
- When calling in to TekSavvy support, the "call back" option is great. That way I'm not draining the battery on my cell phone while I'm on hold.
- If you're able, the TekSavvy Direct Forum is the go-to place to get your issues solved. I much prefer that to calling. The only downside is that the overall time taken to resolve the issue is longer, but for me that is not a huge deal (luckily I have Internet access from work/friends).
- Even though they are relying on Bell for their techs and lines and such, I'm very pleased with the service turnaround times and overall performance.
- During my time with TekSavvy, my DSL service costs actually went DOWN (from $34.99 to $32.99) while my performance went UP (6/1 to 15/1 and 200 GB transfer to 300 GB transfer). Gotta love that.

member for 9.2 years, 318 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Ed_Scott0013,

Thank you very much for this great review. I am very pleased to see you have had minimal issue with your service and you’re receiving consistent speeds. I am also very delighted to hear your DSL upgrade and number port to TekTalk went seamlessly. I do apologize for any issue you have had with the service however am happy we were able to resolve these quite quickly for you.

Please continue to keep us updated on your service and if you have any further questions please message us in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct .

Thanks again for this review
TSI-ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.

Review by stevens123 See Profile

• Location: Braeside,ON
Good "Relitively quick install, Has been rock solid since install"
Bad "Nothing so far"
Overall "Great service for a great price"

We ordered the 15/1 package on a dryloop (+5 dollars a month) and from ordering to install it took 7 days for everything to be completed. Had Bell before but they decided not to honour our deal and raise our rates to $64+ tax a month on 5/.08?! quoting our area cant get faster then 5/.8 (even though we test at 16/1.1 on teksavvy dsl). So far it has been rock solid and have no complaints, definitely would recommend to friends.

Comments:

TSI Andre

Outstanding!

Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to review your experience. We certainly appreciate it. Welcome to the family and enjoy the many years of savings and great customer service.

If you need us, you know where to find us

Review by chamacgowan See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Friendly support staff, but seems like there hands are tied"
Bad "Very frustrating service, no solution yet presented, and no word from managers after trying to escalate"
Overall "Don't sign up for TekSavvy! Pay the few extra bucks and use someone who can help you if something goes wrong. "

***Updated review 11/2/2014

Technician from Bell came on Friday (10/31) and fixed the problem temporarily - we were getting the desired speeds from Friday afternoon until this morning. Again speeds have dropped - supposed to be getting 10, and averaging around 3 - sometimes down around 0.5, or 0.8.

I've replied with this info to a ticket that I've opened, and enclosed a screen shot showing speed tests.

At this point I've literally spent hours on the phone to support, and I've had two visits from a Bell Technician (Had to take the afternoon off work), and still I'm not getting the service we're paying for.

Very very dis-satisfied with TekSavvy.

**********

I was pretty hopeful when signing up for TekSavvy – seemed to be pretty good value, and they have a bunch of different options with packages that they have available, both in terms of speeds and download limits.

We signed up for the 10dl/1up package, with a 300 gig limit. It was installed towards the start of this month. After about a week I noticed that the speeds weren’t good enough (getting a max of 5.5 download speed). I opened a ticket and was informed that they had mistakenly put me on the wrong package (7 download), and that they couldn’t make the change from their end, and the a tech would have to come out and make the upgrade – okay, so far not ideal but fair enough. My girlfriend had to take the afternoon off work as the only time available was a Thursday afternoon.

Anyway, the tech (from bell) turns up and tests, and he says that the line is fine and that he doesn’t need to make a change. He tells me that it’s most likely the modem; okay, I contact TekSavvy and they let them know (the reluctantly send out a new modem, after telling me about 20 times that I may be charged if the first modem turns out to be fine).

After the visit of the tech, my internet is down completely. The tech say it’s fine and that 10mbps speed is being delivered to the apartment, it all looks good from Tek Savvy’s end, but meanwhile I’m not able to even open a website – when I am able to run a speedtest I’m getting a speed of 0.05 or so.

Now comes the frustrating part – when I’m on the phone to teksavvy, they keep telling me that there is no problem that they can see, and that if I request another visit from a tech, I will be charged $85. I understand that they are using a vendor, but meanwhile I don’t have internet! So my choice now is to either risk paying an additional $85 fee, or just not have internet! The lady I spoke to was very nice, but her hands were tied. I really don’t care what Teksavvy’s billing arrangements are with Bell – it shouldn’t concern me. I signed up with Teksavyy, and they haven’t provided me with the service I’m paying for, all the while they keep reminding me that I’m on the line for a call out fee if Bell don’t find anything wrong.

This morning the requested some ping tests from me which I provided.

Very frustrating, and no solution close. I requested to speak to a manager last night, but I haven’t heard anything so far today.

I’ll update this review when I hear from TekSavvy.

TL:DR - At this point I would warn anyone who’s thinking about TekSavvy NOT TO DO IT! Pay the few extra bucks and use someone who can help you if something goes wrong.

Comments:

TSI Keith

Your Review

Hello there,

Thank you for providing your feedback here. I've very sorry to hear things have not gone well for you. I'd like to have a look into what went wrong here and what can be done to make it better for you ASAP. Could I ask that you please post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum and provide us with your account details so that I can do so?

chamacgowan

join:2014-10-28
Canada
·TekSavvy DSL

Re: Your Review

Hey Keith,

I'm working with a couple of your account managers on this problem at the moment, and it looks like they are making some progress.

This afternoon my service was restored at the lower speed (7mbs), which will tide me over in the meanwhile - when I'm moved up to a higher plan the whole thing stops working. Dave M was very helpful (it's just a pity I didn't get him 10 days ago!!).

I'll report back when a solution is implemented.

Re: Your Review

Excellent! Thank you for taking the time to update me here.

Sounds like you're in good hands now, but should you need us in the future, we're always here. In the meantime, we look forward to your next report.

Have a great day!

crowbarone

join:2014-01-31
Scarborough, ON

2 edits
Who are we supposed to sign up with ?

Chatham, ON

Update

if it's ok now, I'd like my team to take over and see what they can do for you!

Are you free tomorrow around 11am for one of my guys to call you to discuss further?
chamacgowan

join:2014-10-28
Canada
·TekSavvy DSL

Re: Update

yes thanks Andre, I'm available tomorrow at 11am. Do you need my details or for me to open a thread elsewhere?

I've had a reply today, outlining a bunch of steps I need to take. I've been through this around 3 times already but I will re-do at some point tomorrow.

Re: Update

Awesome. Just to play it safe, can you PM me your account info (name, #, email)?

Thanks,

Hello again,

I believe we've located your account here and I tried to give you a call but received voice mail. I've also sent you a message via your open support ticket. We can continue there if you'd like or feel free to let us know when would be a good time to call again.

Review by MarkBogus See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Tech Support was great"
Bad "Installation dates changed without notice, modem not configured correctly"
Overall "A few bumps in the installation, but well worth the switch"

I switched to Teksavvy from another independent ISP who could not (or would not) upgrade my 6Mbps ADSL connection. The order process went smoothly, and I received my new modem (Zyxel VSG 1432) very quickly. However my installation date was moved back twice and I was not notified; the way I found out was to post a message asking for confirmation of the install date on the Teksavvy Direct Support forum. I was also told that I had to be home for the installation (remember that I already had DSL service). This turned out to be incorrect because Telus did the install and activation remotely.

As it turned out, Telus did something wrong because I had no DSL connection. After running through the usual checklist, Teksavvy Tech Support submitted a ticket to Telus, and the problem was resolved in less than 24 hours (at no extra cost to me of course, since the problem was on the Telus side).

I had a DSL connection, but no internet access. So I contacted Teksavvy Tech Support via telephone, and we determined that my modem was not configured properly; it was set up for ADSL service when in fact I am on VDSL2 service. So we set up a new WAN Interface file and that fixed the problem. Tech Support was knowledgeable, patient, and persistent. I have nothing but good things to say about my interactions with them.

The connection is fast and stable: I am on the 25/2 DSL plan and I get 24.6 down and 2.8 up consistently.

»speedtest.net/result/2374894276.png

Overall, I am very happy with my Teksavvy experience thus far.

Updates to follow

December 24, 2012 Update

I started a Line Monitoring session on December 17, and received my first weekly report today:

Outage report as seen by new jersey USA ny-monitor.dslreports.com
--------------------------------------
UP 2012-12-17 04:03:39 - 2012-12-24 03:33:35 (1004 samples)
** Your IP had 100% reachability during the period!

Outage report as seen by san francisco USA 64.81.79.40
--------------------------------------
UP 2012-12-17 04:04:05 - 2012-12-24 03:33:35 (1003 samples)
** Your IP had 100% reachability during the period!

In fact the only issues I have had with my connection have been when I was monkeying with my router settings and had to reboot. Speed is consistently 24.6 down and 2.8 up.

January 16, 2013

One month on and very happy with with the DSL service. The Zyxel modem is rock solid reliable and the connection is stable and always up. I have learned that I cannot let TCP max out my upload bandwidth lest my download speed suffer, but hey, that is the nature of TCP.

March 30, 2014

The ZyXel VSG1432 modem suddenly failed on March 19, 2014, after 15 months. The failure mode was no PPPoE login in either router or bridge mode, and therefore no internet. After a couple of wrong turns with Tech Support, and escalating to Telus (remote line and DSL diagnosis) we determined that the modem was the problem.
I ordered a replacement, which arrived in 5 business days, and was back up and reconnected in about 10 minutes. Total down time was 10 days, which is not bad, considering my work schedule, Telus involvement, and the purchase/shipping of a replacement modem from Chatham to Alberta. Yes, it was inconvenient and frustrating, but I felt that Tech Support was always ready to help.

October 30, 2014

The 2nd ZyXel VSG 1432 Modem failed suddenly on July 15, 2014 after 4 months. Same failure mode as above. Teksavvy replaced it with no hassles and no cost to me and I was back up and running again in a few days. No issues with Teksavvy support, but I am really concerned about these modems. Mine is in a well ventilated room plugged into a line filtered UPS so there are no power issues. I might order another one just to have a spare.....

The Telus speed upgrade went through, so my throughput is a very consistent 25.1/4.7 now. I have no complaints about the line speed or availability. Overall: still satisfied.

Comments:

JonF
Chatham, ON

"A few bumps in the installation, but well worth the switch"

Hello,

I'm happy to hear that everything is now working for you. I do apologize for the delay in your activation. If you require any further assistance, you can contact us in the direct forum (as you know), as we are always happy to help!

Have a great day!
rkaushik

join:2002-03-31
Tallahassee, FL

get service directly with Bell

Would not recommend teksavvy phone or internet service in the GTA. In GTA they lease Bell lines. Any install or service order has to go to Bell. If you ever have an issue, Bell will make sure that they provide the worst service possible to teksavvy customers. In the end the customer ends up getting screwed while it may not be teksavvy's fault.
My recent example: Phone line was down. Teksavvy filed repair ticket with Bell. Bell did some remote testing and determined that everything was ok without coming to my home to check if there was a dial tone outside my home. Bell closed the ticket. I called teksavvy back and they called Bell again. Bell argued but finally agreed to sent tech out. Bell tech determined that my telephone line had been disconnected at the neighborhood network box! I was asked to be home for a 5 hour window both times that Bell tech was supposed to come out.
In total I had service outage for 5 days for no fault of Teksavvy.
Lesson learned- however bad Bell is I would much rather have service directly with Bell. Bell now offers no contract service (internet and phone) like teksavvy and prices very competitively.
So why would you go through teksavvy and not directly to Bell? I had teksavvy for a long time because I disliked Bell but in the end what matters is my service uptime and not getting the run around. Interesting when I switched to Bell I was offered multiple installation windows for 3 hours and the tech called me before he showed up.
LanAdmin

join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC
·ELECTRONICBOX

said by rkaushik:

Would not recommend teksavvy phone or internet service in the GTA.

That can happen event if you are with Bell. My neighbor who is directly with Bell had intermittent phone service for over a week before Bell finally solved the problem.

Personally I would never go with Bell again.
rkaushik

join:2002-03-31
Tallahassee, FL

Re: get service directly with Bell

Unfortunately we are stuck with bell owning the lines. If it took bell that long then it would have taken longer via teksavvy and a lot more pain for the consumer via long and inflexible appointment windows, teuchs not calling ahead, brokering everything via teksavvy, etc.
LanAdmin

join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC
·ELECTRONICBOX

said by rkaushik:

Not sure

Hello MarkBogus,

Thank you for the updated review. I am happy to hear you are still enjoying the service. I regret to hear there was an issue with your modem, I am however thrilled to see we were able to send you a new modem and get you back on line.

Thank you again for the updated review. If you have any issues or questions we can always be reached through the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

Tsi-ashleigh

Your recent update

Hello Mark,

Thank you for the update here, it is sincerely appreciated as we always love feedback from our customers. I'm glad to hear you are still satisfied with the service though sorry to hear you have had repeat issues with these modems.

I can ensure you though that this is not an issue that we commonly see with these. It never hurts to have a spare modem laying around for troubleshooting purposes and the like, but you definitely shouldn't need to invest in a backup expecting another failure.

Review by kevishto See Profile

Good "Speed, low downtime"
Bad "Customer service, warranty issues on modem"

Teksavvy has been my isp for a little over a year now and until recently I have been satisfied with their service. This is probably due to the fact that I never had an issue to call in about.

A few days ago I noticed that The internet was down. I was working remotely that day so it was particularly important. I phoned Teksavvy and the rep if there had been issues in the area. I was told there were no issues that they knew of and they would send a tech out in a couple of days. I went outside shortly after and saw two shaw vans outside. I asked them what the problem was and they said a transformer blew. I called techsavvy back and asked them to cancel the tech since The shaw guys told me what the issue was. They said I should keep the appointment since he could check for any other issues. I said this was a good idea since my modem had been randomly resetting. The agent from techsavvy asked me how old the modem and I said about 14 months. The agent said "we might be able to squeeze a warranty out of it since it has barely been over a year"

Two days later a shaw technician showed up and said the modem was defective and he had seen a few others with this problem. He told the guys at teksavvy (on the phone) that it had a loose connection point and could not be moved or it would restart or shut off.

After the tech left I asked techsavvy if it could be replaced under warranty and they simply said "sorry, it only has a 1 year warranty." I reminded them of what the agent had told me about squeezing out a warranty and they continued to repeat "1 year warranty." I asked them if I could see the warranty to check if manufacturer defects had longer than a year and was met with .... "sorry, 1 year warranty." At one point a teksavvy employee promised to e-mail me a warranty. I received no such e-mail. I called back today and was referred to the techsavvy website that stated 1 year warranty. I tried to explain that I wanted to see the thompson (modem brand) warranty and was finally told that although teksavvy purchases modems from thompson, they have no way of contacting them. Huh? They can't contact their supplier?

Frankly I have had decent service from Teksavvy in the past and was very surprised to see them drop the ball on this.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Kevishto,

Thank you for the review. I would like to review your account to see what was said to you and see what is happening. Can you please post in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct with your account information?

Ashleigh

Review by SimplePanda See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Good value and support."
Bad "Performance has been fairly poor lately (September/October 2014)"
Overall "Good value ISP"

I've used the following Toronto ISP's:

- Bell Fibe (25/7)
- Rogers (Hybrid Fibre 60, Business 30/5, Business 150/10, Residential 150/10).
- TekSavvy 25/7, 25/10 and 50/10 VDSL2.

TekSavvy is a great value ISP. Speeds have been traditionally quite good but lately (Sept/Oct 2014) there has been some bad performance problems, especially during primetime.

To their credit, the TekSavvy staff have been soliciting feedback from their members in order to try to figure out exactly what the problem is.

Good stuff:

- Native IPv6 in beta
- Netflix playback is pretty reliable
- Latency to services like Google is quite good

Not so good:

- "Rogers" NHL GameCenter tends to skip and stall, especially during primetime. Is fairly reliable, of course, on Rogers.
- Sony's PlayStation video service is problematic. HD playback isn't reliable.

General performance is quite good.

member for 11.1 years, 850 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

Re:review

Hello there SimplePanda,

We would like to thank you for being a long time customer. We certainly appreciate your review. Should you have any other questions please feel free to either post in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum or call an agent at 1-877-779-1575.

Recent Troubles

Hey SimplePanda,

We appreciate you updating your review and thank you for your patience while we get to the bottom of the DSL slow downs.

Review by tahukipas See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Package priced attractively, sign up process was a breeze"
Bad "Terrible system for coordinating the install, no accountability, unstable connection"
Overall "It's a hit and miss as you're basically at the mercy of their vendors to get anything done"

·TELUS
Signed up at Aug 4 for the 15/1 DSL internet and got the Aug 14 installation date. During sign up call, the rep didn't mention that the date was tentative and subject to confirmation from vendor (presumably Bell in this case). Since then, I only got a couple of emails stating they're experiencing a delay with the vendor and couldn't tell me when the install will take place. As I'm posting this, the 1st installation timeslot has passed and I've yet to hear back on this or if the tech will come on a new date. There wasn't even a formal communication stating that the 1st installation timeslot won't be happening.

Teksavvy's reps in the direct forum were responsive to my questions, but ultimately they weren't able to move this forward. The general message I've got so far from the reps are that Teksavvy doesn't have any control over the vendor and can't do anything when issues like this arise. This is disconcerting for me because as an end user, I'm paying Teksavvy and would expect to get service in return. I expect Teksavvy to do what needs to be done and coordinate with all involved parties (including their vendors) to deliver on their commitment. Unfortunately, this is where they fail in this case.

[8/17 Update] I have received a confirmation email from Teksavvy that the vendor has confirmed an installation date at Tuesday, Aug 19. I will provide another update once the installation is done. Many thanks to all parties involved in expediting this and I'm hoping everything goes smoothly on the d-day.

[8/19 Update] Bell technician came in as scheduled. Took approximately 2 hours to complete the installation. Speedtest shows a 14.3 mbps download and 0.78 mbps upload which I figure is close enough to the 15/1 maximum. Tested streaming youtube in HD which went smoothly as expected. Overall, I'm happy with the speed. Will monitor for the next few days if the performance is consistent.

Speedtest result in here: »www.speedtest.net/my-result/3699943590

[10/18] I'm deducting one point for connection reliability because for the past 2 weeks, my connection has randomly disconnects. Sometimes the issue is gone right away (restart modem and connection comes back), but there have been a few occasions where DSL keeps dropping after getting connected for 2-3 mins.

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

RE:Review

Hello tahukipas,

We apologize that our agent did not make themselves clear that the requested activation dates are tentative pending vendor confirmation.

We are experiencing some delays with our DSL vendor with regards to acknowledgement of orders.. We are working with our vendor to get the earliest dispatch date available. We will deliver on our commitment and activate your service as soon as our vendor confirms a dispatch date for us.

Thanks again for your continued patience.
I see that you have already posted in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum. We will continue to work with you there.

Warm regards.

join:2013-11-18

Review Update

Hi tahukipas!

Huzzah! Glad to hear you finally got a confirmation. Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Thanks,

review

Hello Tahukipas,

Thank you for the updated review. I do regret to see that you are having a connection issue. We would be more than happy to assist you with diagnosing the issue and finding a solution. Please send us a message in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct so we can assist you further.

Ashleigh

Review by AkFubar See Profile

• Location: Toronto CAN.
Good "Great...customer service/price/openess/professionalism."
Bad "None to report"
Overall "A remarkable Canadian success. Innovative, customer focused and great value for $. I Recommend!"

My package price includes landline phone (POTS) with call answer and 5M internet (200GB cap) .

Please Note:
The 30 Days from Order to Live is reflective of the 30 days notice I had to give to Bell for cancellation of my internet. Teksavvy (TSI) had me up and running exactly as promised!

Moved my phone landline plus features and internet from Bell to TSI in January 2009 (phone activated Jan. 6th; internet activated Jan. 14th). Everything went flawlessly and I am enjoying great performance with a $30 saving per month over what I was paying Bell! I should have made the move sooner! My internet services performance using the ST516v6 modem is attached below.

Update at 6 Months:

I am very satisfied with TSI services and my savings continue. I continue to be impressed by this company's customer service, transparency and forward thinking. I heartily recommend TSI for both phone and internet services! An all-Canadian company that embraces traditional business values.

Update at 1 Year

My connection has remained solid and my savings continue. I am impressed by TSI's attention to customer service and by their commitment to net neutrality, innovation, fairness and keeping prices down. I have no hesitation in continuing to recommend TSI. Future updates will be made on an exception basis only. Now please excuse me while I continue to enjoy my TSI services!

Update at 4 Years (Mar. 2013)

All aspects of service remain consistently excellent. Teksavvy is now improving their hardware to prep for higher speed offerings which are also a great value. In January of this year I referred my brother who is also very satisfied with the service Teksavvy provides. Teksavvy continues to lead the field!

Update September 2014 - Upgrade of DSL Services for DSL Pro 6 300GB Cap to DSL 15/1 Unlimited

Upgrade went on time as promised and without issues. Well done TSI!

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Thanks for the Update

Glad to see you & your brother are enjoying the service.

Review by RizzleQ See Profile

• Location: Windsor,ON
Good "Great service at a great price"
Overall "Totally worth it"

»Review of TekSavvy Cable by RizzleQ briefly describes events leading up to my switch to TekSavvy DSL and other events much later.

I ordered TekSavvy Dry-Loop 6meg DSL back on Jan 4th, 2012 over the phone with Brent and selected my activation date as Jan 13th. Brent was extremely helpful and detailed as he addressed and answered any concerns and questions I had. The requirement to be home from 8am to 5pm was fairly standard so I chose someday the next week I had off from work. I got a verification email the very same day, which I confirmed immediately to get the ball rolling. This email contained all the details I could ever need like pricing breakdown, tentative dates, possible additional costs, PPPoE and email credentials; good stuff.

Sometime shortly after this I realized I had made a shift trade at work for that week that I forgot about when selecting the activation date. It would have left me with working on Jan 13th and have Jan 12th off. I called TekSavvy as soon as I realized this and simply asked that they change the activation date to Jan 12th as that date was still over five business days away. After being thrown on a quick hold, Bill tells me this request has been placed. To be honest, the confidence in his voice as he told me this was… lacking to some extent, but this was a very simple request so I thought nothing of it. What could go wrong, right?

A couple days later I get an email letting me know my activation date was confirmed for Jan 13th... wait... what? I was annoyed, to say the least, when I found out from Linda that nothing actually changed with my order on that call that I placed only days before. She assured me very confidently that she sent off the request for sure this time. Luckily there was still enough time to make that happen. I waited at most one more day to delightfully hear the activation date was confirmed for Jan 12th. Now, all was well in the world.

Jan 12th rolls along and I get a phone call around 9am from someone asking me if I have a dry-loop DSL installation slated for the day. I confirm this as I look out my window to notice this person is a Bell tech sitting with another Bell tech in a Bell van in front of my house. The tech was unsure if he needed to do anything as he said he saw no NID attached to the side of my house, only the buried service wire coming out of the ground, run along my house for about 10 meters and go straight through the wall. I state there is no NID or even a testable jack inside or outside for me to confirm sync is active on my line.

I let both of them in my house and describe my wiring setup as we proceeded to the basement. We then met with the mess of telecom wires next to my electrical panel. One of the guys immediately determines what needs to be done, goes back to his van to get a bunch of stuff. I specifically asked that they don’t hook up the DSL to my existing home telephone wiring since there’s VOIP on there. He seemed fine with doing that, so about 25 minutes of work later and he’s done setting up a new wiring block with new wiring to a new isolated phone jack. He does a quick ANAC check on the line and says I’m all good to go once hearing my dry-loop number on his phone. As he starts packing up his tools, I plug in my preconfigured TP-Link DSL modem which gets sync and authenticates with TekSavvy’s RADIUS server fairly quickly. I was able to confirm the modem was getting a full 6016/800 sync rate and speed tests showed the associated 5.4 Mbps download/0.65 Mbps upload speed before the Bell techs left. I was pleased with their professionalism and neat setup of the dedicated line that I asked for.

In June of 2012, TekSavvy rolled out their IPv6 BETA program as part of the World IPv6 Launch (»www.worldipv6launch.org) that I happily jumped on as soon as they announced it. TSI Martin replied to my request with all the details I would need to set that up. I got some huge IPv6 subnets tied to their own unique DSL login that worked for me on the first try. Way to be, TekSavvy.

Now, let’s fast forward to mid-January 2013. I had been enjoying my DSL which was performing perfectly for a full year; no drops in speeds or connectivity at all. It was around this time that the weirdest slow speeds issue hit a bunch of people in the Windsor area. It was characterized by modems getting full synchronization, yet there were sporadic slow speeds at all times of the day. Most of the time my whole household had under 1 Mbps to share; it was brutal. I knew a few people in this region with tickets opened that dragged on for weeks. That was something called a “pattern match” slow speeds issue. It was pretty much as low priority as it gets considering it was a “service impairment” issue versus an “out of service” issue (on legacy DSL in a not so highly populated area no less). We had Internet connectivity at least when other people didn’t, so that’s kind of fair I guess. It was one of those “it’ll get fixed when it gets fixed” type of issues.

Around that same time there were talks about TekSavvy Cable coming to all areas that Cogeco services. This was enough to keep me hanging in there with that unpredictably slow DSL. I finally got hooked up with Cable in March of that year. I decided to keep my DSL line activated even though I had a considerably faster, perfectly working cable connection. To balance out the load, heavy users of the house use the cable, and everyone else uses the DSL. It’s a nice setup. The DSL speeds returned sometime around this time as well and seems to be fine according to those users in my house.

Overall, from the order date until today, the TekSavvy DSL experience has been mostly a positive one. The long stretches of great service can’t be overshadowed by any negative moments. You’ve got a happy TekSavvy DSL customer here for over two years.

member for 8.8 years, 1062 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Kris
join:2013-11-18

Hello RizzleQ,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! It's sounds like quite a journey. We are most definitely delighted to hear you are happy with the services overall.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if there is ever anything we can help with!

Reanne

Review by Viral See Profile

• Location: Windsor,ON
Good "Quick, Painless, Tech was very polite and ensured there was sync directly to the modem!"
Bad "We had to explain a few times to the Tech where and why we wanted it installed where it is now."
Overall "Great service, friendly representatives, GREAT PRICE!"

I've been a TekSavvy customer for about 2 years now on their Cable 14 (now Cable 20) and have been more than happy with their service.

I was shocked when I checked and found out I qualified for 50.0 on DSL. In this area we only get 6.0, so I had to use Cable to get the speeds I needed. I was so happy once I moved and this location qualified for 50.0 on the Bell website. I called over to TekSavvy and spoke to Jenn and she confirmed the information and submitted my order. Seconds later I received my confirmation e-mail with the dates I selected for installation.

Since the service required a VDSL modem I purchased the SmartRG 505N.

Everyone I spoke to was very professional and I was expecting to be sold a Bell service from the technician, but he was very courteous. I had to explain to the technician a few times where and why I wanted it installed in my office/gaming room, he went into the basement to check the wiring to see if there was an alternate way to install without damaging my home. (I was prepared for him to drill through the wall)

The tech was here for about an hour but did a magnificent job and setup a jack and even took the time to confirm there was sync on the line!

Great work TekSavvy, keep up the great work on the CRTC front!

UPDATE: 10/17/2014
Things are still running smoothly, aside from the odd slowdown that was very quickly taken care of, we're all green still. My router died awhile back so I replaced it but the SmartRG I purchased from TekSavvy is still running strong in VDSL Bridged mode! Knock on wood.

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

RE: Review by Viral

Hello Viral,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this excellent review!

Glad to hear that everything went smoothly for your transition to DSL. Should you have any questions or concerns please feel free to either reach out to us in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum or call an agent at 1-877-779-1575.

TSI Denis
join:2014-10-15

Re: Update

I'm glad to hear everything is still running smoothly!

Don't forget we're always here to help you if you ever run into problems,

Thanks for the update!