TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by BoosterX See Profile

• Location: Lachine,QC
Good "Presales were friendly, all dates set"
Bad "Cut over services put on hold, leaving me in the dark"
Overall "Nice but useless"

I called 3 weeks in advance to schedule to have my phone and my internet put in place.
Since I was going from Videotron cable to Teksavvy DSL dry-loop 25m it was a decrease in speed, higher cap and lower price I thought it would pay off.

So they charged me 300$ upfront for all the install services and new modems. Scheduled Nov 16th, switch to be done Dec 2nd. My current provider would cut service on the 4th of Dec.

Sounds great.

Well, Teksavvy cut over my line to TekTalk and I installed the device. It wasn't working, I spent an hour on the phone with their tech. He even mentioned that his Supervisor was asking him to get off the phone. So he had to cut it short, he asked I put the device in front of the firewall. So I did, still the same problem. Called back and they were acting 'skeptical' for 30+ mins. The 2nd tech never even bothered to look into anything and told me to wait till midnight.

So I asked where this tech was for the DSL. They told me to wait another hour. So I did.

Called back, asked again. Someone looked into the file, after 40 mins on hold they told me they put a HOLD on my file because the building was "new". Well my house has been here over 3 years and Bell already has a demarcation point in the building. Why was this only now being brought up?

I told them I scheduled this 3 weeks ago. You now want me to wait 8 days longer with no services (remember their VoIP needs an internet connection)? Ignoring the fact I work from home this was a huge disappointment.

They put a hold on my file, never followed up, expected me to be +1 week with no services, no house phone (no working alarm for the house) etc and not complain? Plus they'd be billing me for this.

Real joke. Called back Videotron and resumed my services. This headache wasn't worth the 25$/month savings.

Nice demarcation point that runs right into my home right? »imgur.com/02gPS

Comments:

Review by ThomasS See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Price"
Bad "No service"
Overall "you get so much less than what you pay for"

Trying to get these guys to install phone service and DSL. They gave me an installation date, didn't arrive that day, rebooked it without telling me until they emailed me the DAY OF the install telling me to make sure I'm home from 8am to midnight. They disconnected my old service that day and did not reconnect it. And of course, they billed me for all of this and are threatening to charge interest if I don't pay my bill as well as disconnect my service, which is STILL not installed.

IF the service gets installed I will review it, but for now what I will tell everyone is that if you go with TekSavvy, you might as well revert to sending smoke signals cause they put you back in the stone age as far as communication goes

Comments:

Review by blitzd See Profile

Good "Very high bandwidth caps"
Bad "Absolutely crap technical support"
Overall "Works great, until you have issues, or want to move"

My experience with TekSavvy has been the equivalent of a greek tragedy - it started off great, and degraded into the realm absolutely horrible. I was very skeptical up front with the answers I got from TekSavvy technical support regarding when my service would be activated, I wasn't too worried though as we had our Rogers internet and phone available for an overlap period. However, TekSavvy had to have a Bell technician sent out no less than 4 times to get the combination of our front door buzzer, our phone, and our DSL service all working properly. One day internet and phone would work, the next day it was just gone - that's how it went for the first two months. I was willing to chalk this all up to the initial hiccups of service change, but my continued experience has been that this is just par for the course with TekSavvy.

The next issue I had was with their $25 credit for new sign ups. I was told it would be applied to our second bill, but it wasn't. I called in and the lady in accounting said - oh, just don't pay your bill and it will be applied. So we didn't, and we got sent a notice that we were going to have our service cut off - this was all while we we out of town on vacation, so I got to sit on hold waiting on their technical support line, paying long distance fees, to get it all sorted out. They apologized profusely, as they always do.

And then the piece de resistance, we submit a move request via their online form, which has no area to set an effective date - so I added it in the comments. Lo and behold, they take the move request as effective immediately - my only indication of this is a message left on my answering machine a week later saying that I screwed up my address saying it was a townhouse when it was a house (it's not, it's a townhouse), and that they're going to have to resubmit it and have it active for Sept 17th (we're not moving until Oct 1). I emailed twice, between the 12th and 16th of Sept inquiring about this - got no response.. I finally call technical support on the 16th to see what's going on, and they tell me they've been trying to call me - guess what, my phone service is down - no incoming phone calls. So, now I'm stuck with my service set to move on Sept 17th, they say they can't stop it because they need 48 hours notice, and I'm not moving until the first of Oct.

Every single interaction I have had with this organization has been buggered all to hell. I absolutely despise Rogers, and I'm not a fan of Bell - but I may just have to suck it up and go back because TekSavvy seems anything BUT tech savvy.

The only saving grace of this service is the high bandwidth caps - but there's other resellers of Bell out there that offer the same. I would avoid them.

Update - we decided to give TekSavvy another chance, since a TekSavvy employee had said that our phone and DSL would be set up at our new place on Oct 1st as a consequence of the move order being done too early, and that they would waive the moving fee. Unfortunately they screwed up the address, installed our phone at the wrong unit, had a totally different address for the DSL order (which wasn't even slated to go in until the 5th). They also billed us for the moving fee - which the TekSavvy employee said he would have fixed, and then they billed us for it again today.

So, we're switching ISPs now - I regret giving TekSavvy another chance.

Comments:

Review by qtoop See Profile

Good "It used to be reliable"
Bad "not reliable, just blaming bell or my home line when my line is already checked by bell tech and no faults had been found"
Overall "TS will lose business"

I've been with teksavvy for over 4-5 years and had no problem till 6-7 months ago when my regular download speed (not torrent) of 2.5 meg (they say I'm far from bell and that's what I can get) reached to almost 1 meg only. I contacted them and they tried to pinpoint the problem by blaming my home line or modem or anything else other than themselves... finally someone from bell came and checked my home line and surprisingly the same night my speed went to 2 meg from one! at the end bell tech confirmed that there was no problem with my home line or my modem ( I even changed my modem).

my connection speed was at least about 2 m until last month that I noticed losing connection frequently EVERYDAY during the day and at the same time very slow connection during the day but almost speed of 2 meg at night.
again I contacted teksavvy couple of times and again they were blaming my line, bell line, modem bla bla bla.
BTW, couple of times when I called them the call was suddenly disconnected from their side and they didn't even bother to call me back, that's a sooooo crappy costumer service.

now I'm checking to switch to another ISP, as I'm fed up with teksavvy. and I ensure teksavvy that if they don't correct their service they will go down surly.

UPDATE Aug 15:

To be fair, after this review, I was contacted by Rick ( TSI manager) and they tried to re-diagnose the problem. This time, after re-testing my line inside and out I was also sent a test modem to rule out any modem issue as well. However, as I expected at the end, the result was the same as before; something is wrong some where in the line.

Now, I personally have to believe that this is in fact a Bell issue, because if it was from TSI, I think by now they would have at least somehow improve my connection. but still I believe this is unfortunate that TSI as the Bell costumer can not ,or do not, fight for its own costumer's right.
I just wish I could sue the bastards at Bell for wasting my time and money spent over years for the problem that seems to be caused by them. well unfortunately in Canada big companies like bell are the dictators that are actually ruling our country.

Anyways, now I'm going to give TSI cable a try and I hope after many years I can get a real reliable high speed connection and post a better review on this site!
Meanwhile, I really want to thank Rick (TSI) for his understanding and help.

Comments:

Review by shawn585 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Easy signup"
Bad "Worse service, blames everything on bell, can never talk to a manager, ask for $87 ticket even if they know it is not the line"
Overall "I'm an IT manager and very teksavyy but would never recommand these guys, worse costomer service"

The bell guy came and installed on time, but never saw the guy in the apartment building. The modem (brand new) worked fine and perfect line stats but would disconnect every few hours with dsl line down. Then it got worse with disconnecting every few minutes. Called support many times and did all their recommendations: Change the modem to a new one (even another brand), changed cables, changed settings, news firmware, used bridge/ppp mode and nothing it even got worse.

They said the can send a bell guy to come in for a $87 charge. I said why waste money on top of a service that is not working. They said if it is the building then it is my problem and i have to run after the land lord. Why throw money at bad? building is not my control and they said they are only responsible until the bell box. I didn't want the extra charge given that i already paid $70 and no service yet.

It is only few days after install and I am asking for a refund because i know this is not going to work and bell is just going to slap another $87 charge. They will not provide a refund or let me talk to a manager. I have been with Shaw and rogers and they would cancel and provide a partial refund at least if the customer is not happy. This is the worse service and I have already spent 5 days with tech support and don't have the time to fight. canceled my services and will never recommend them again. Stick with something that will give money back if it doesn't work first few days.

Another issue is that when the service worked on the first day, i had packet loss to a huge hosting company that I manage but would work fine with my regular company. I could not get any work done. They have also routing issues and DNS.

Comments:

Review by brucer36 See Profile

Good "No monthly contract"
Bad "terrible tech support - won't escalate you to manager"
Overall "Use another service where you can escalate to management when you have problems"

Teksavvy is a terrible service that has not worked since provisioning (1month). The tech support guys can't get dhcp working on their microtik routers. The 1 expert they have for microtik was on holidays and no one else could configure the router. The only way they could get the router working was to have every client use static dns entries. -totally unacceptable solution. When I tried to escalate the support guys refused and told me they were the only ones I was going to be speaking with. There is no other way to get a hold of the management team, they have rigged their automated attendant to only route to sales, accounting ior support. They behave like a little company run fro a garage. Be very afraid if you do business with them.

Comments:

Review by Liftow See Profile

Good "Affordable, Unlimited, When it's on it works great"
Bad "Unacceptably Long Wait Times for Activation, Teksavvy Has Little or No Control Over Activation Of Service"
Overall "Avoid this Company for internet services unless you feel like waiting for two weeks for a hookup"

I have used Teksavvy Unlimited DSL for three years, since the time of the Great Bell Throttling Incident. I have been a happy camper, synced at 6000/800 with out a dropout for 2.5 years. My confidence in this company has now diminished after my current experience with activating a new phone and dsl service, and I would suggest to anyone thinking of using them to think again - unless you don't mind waiting waiting waiting waiting for service activation.

My story: Decided to go with Tek for phone service in addition to my DSL service that was already established. Called on the 13th, the day my Bell line was disconnected and ordered home phone and was told that I would need a new DSL service to go with the new number. Fine, let's do it. I'm told that my phone will be on within 3 days and that dsl will be active within 5 days EXACT WORDS USED!

First of all, Teksavvy apparently never processed my activation and first month payment, as I received an email on the 15th telling me I still owed them. Luckily, I caught the email and called accounting where a nice kid told me that, OOPS, yes we forgot to credit your account EVEN THOUGH I CALLED THE DAY BEFORE AND GAVE THEM THE BANK TRANSACTION NUMBER! Lucky for me, as from what I hear if you don't pay your activation within 48 hrs, the order is cancelled.

Well, 3 days for phone service came and went and I finally got an email telling me that my phone would be hooked up on the 18th (Six days after I placed the order, not three). The email suggested that I stay at home between 8 and 5 in case someone needed to get in, and that even still the service might not be active until midnight. The day passed, and my phone line was still dead. I waited all day the 19th, nothing. Finally, I walked down to the payphone (no cell) at around 6 pm and talked to tech support who told me that they would need to send a Bell Tech out, even though my phone was working fine last week. I agreed to swallow the possible 85 dollar fee I might be charged by Bell. However, miraculously my phone came on later that night at around 9pm. I called to cancel the ticket, but the Bell Tech still came anyway, no idea why. Even he was flabbergasted as to why I had to wait so long for DSL service, and stayed with me for 20 minutes attempting to reach someone who could hook up my service. THE BELL TECH DID MORE FOR ME TO GET MY DSL ON THAN TEKSAVVY HAS DONE SO FAR!

So here I am, 7 days after I placed my order with no DSL in sight. It will apparently be Friday the 24th, a full 12 days after I placed my order until DSL is activated on my line.

Teksavvy, it is apparent from this experience, has ALMOST NO CONTROL over how, when and where your service gets set up. They cannot, or will not push Bell to get service hooked up faster and have resigned themselves to allowing Bell Canada to dictate time lines to them. 12 days for DSL Service I would expect in Uganda, not Canada.

BE WARNED: When getting DSL service with this company, if you don't have an active phone line, you will be waiting for up to a week for it to go live. Bell Canada, Rogers and everyone else can hook up your phone service and internet service at the same time - Teksavvy apparently skipped that class and have no capacity to do the same thing. Sad really, because this used to be a good company.

I cannot recommend this company to anyone, and would suggest that if you are considering using their services, you reconsider - UNLESS YOU DON'T MIND WAITING FOR TWO WEEKS FOR SERVICE.

UPDATE: I was contacted by TSI Martin, by phone and through the Direct forum. Credit where credit is due, Martin has attempted to get my service up and running but has been unable to provide anything better than a one day reprieve. I am now told my DSL will be on by the 23rd, not the 24th. Sadly, not good enough for me to change this review. Now on Day 8 with no service, which I believe, has been plenty of time for Teksavvy to get me up and running. Beware of those who will tell you to swallow the wait times because you are using a 3rd party reseller. It is Teksavvy's name on the invoice, the website, and the cheque that I send to them every month. They are accountable for the length of time their customers have to wait for service.

Comments:

Review by Nailbag See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "not BELL not ROGERS all personel are[ English speaking Canadians]"
Bad "too long of wait time on the phone for support 45 mins plus"
Overall "still waiting for some answer from management[as in a phone call]"

update after 3 months of sub par service i cannot say much good now. You boys have dropped the BALL big time . I cannot bring myself to recommend DSL to anyone.
Dialup is faster at night time since my connection is unusable from 230 in the afternoon til after 2 in the morn.

Cable just became available from them but being on a fixed income 260$ is a little had to come by after buying the the last modem 4 months ago

Comments:

Review by anh2 See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "not Bell, not bandwidth limit"
Bad "cannot do much since Bell won't move us to RDSLAM, over 2 hrs to tech support"
Overall "$47 cost does not justify slow speed 1.8Mbps"

initially had services at 2.8Mbps, was instructed that they can put request to move to remote dslam. 370 Meter away from house there was one built just in August 2010. Bell did offer to move to RDSLAM before cancellation, but 4 months contract was finishing so I did not. The request cause to stupid bell technician to cross wires or something but received no service for 2 days. Bell technician says their usually line: "It is your inside wiring issue!" I fell for this line in 2007 and spent $600 re-wiring my house, only to find that the technician never connected right wires on the outside Demarcation wires. I insisted that technician comes out check wiring since the request to move to RDSLAM might have confused them. Sure enough service was on again but now only at lower profile 2Mbps so I am now crawling at 1.8Mbps. Teksavvy technician threaten not in the tone of voice that I would take as warning that Bell will charge $75 for diagnostic on the profile if they rule that it cannot be changed to 5Mbps profile then I would have to pay $70. Immediately I request my account to be cancelled. Now I am on hunt for another provider. Net 2 Months of services at $31.99+10.22 dry loop+$20 activation. Stay away till they resolve call center issue. Pissed off at waiting 2+Hrs. My Wind Mobile cell automatically disconnect if I am waiting longer than 2 hrs. This happen twice. As of March they claimed to hire another 30 rep for call center. Also pissed off that they did not credit me for lack of service for 2 days. I tested my lines on a Speedstream 6520 and Britepoint 8012U.

Comments:

Review by olivier7 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "I got good performance for exactly a year"
Bad "Care for Clients varies"
Overall "sometimes s... happens"

Act 1 : first, I chose Teksavvy - Mid 2009
I signed up with Teksavvy mid 2009. At start, I was happy with the DSL access.

Act 2: second, service falls apart - November 2009
Download speed was below 1 Mbps, or less than 20% of expected performance. It took me more than a month of intense argumentation, several hours in calls and frustration with both Teksavvy and Bell Tech visits to get things fixed. Since I was not responsible for the damage, they credited me from date of first call to date of service was OK, approx mid-January

Act 3 : then, I moved (changed adress) - January 29th 2010
My phone is with Bell, and Bell had trouble transferring my phone line. They had to fix the wire in the street box. We get it all fixed after 5 days.

Act 4: Teksavvy charges $87.70 + Tax my VISA for having checked synchronization of my modem on February 3rd, 2010 - Invoiced on May 8th 2010 with no warning

I am charged on my VISA with no pre-agreement of such charge, nor any responsibility whatsoever on the problems encountered with my account. Violent.

Act 5 Got credited back. - May 12th, 2010
Don't provide your VISA card number to Teksavvy.

Act 6 Loose download speed again - Jan 2011
Have been having troubles for three weeks : very high variation in speed (sometimes next to 0, sometimes back to "normal").

Called Jan 28th. Absolutely impolite and disrespectful tech -says 'no the problem is not with us' after 2 min. I read they have troubles in Ottawa. No courage to fight to get elementary support and wanted to give up and look for alternate supplier.

Good point: Jan 29th, another tech called to see whether I still had my problem. And no variation (in the "normal") today. We agreed on a test strategy when problems reoccurs.

Jan 29th - 11:20 p.m.: measured download speed at teksavvy falls below 100 (nominal : 4300 or so)

Jan 30st - could use internet from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. - download speed was not even measurable in the afternoon nor at night after 9:30. At 10:20 p.m., performed a ping at test@test: result 100% loss (out of 86 pings - could not wait the full 200!). Used a second computer and a full new set of cables (phone, ethernet). Modem demonstrated to work splendidely. No router - PC cable connected to modem.

Jan 31-Feb 4th
had ups and downs (more down than up). Generally, connection falls starting around 9:30 pm. Friday Feb 4th, no speed at all during all morning. Conducted test @ test at 9:45 pm on Feb 4th: 100% loss - request timed out for 24 ping. Conducted with IP adress finishing in x.1.
Teksavvy called home during day - when Im working. Nice but nothing changes.
Waiting time for tech support 43 min...

Feb 5: tried to get support, but basically, Teksavvy blames it on Bell. Have to open ticket. Bell tech will come at peak of service and say everything's OK. Then speed will fall down to 0, nobody will be there, will have to pay $80+ & for the Bell tech until I demonstrate there is variation of speed. Will take me hours of efforts. Know that, been there. Now looking for other solution.

Bye bye Teksavvy - users should pay according to their consumption: I'm a small user, and am impacted by the big users who take the bandwidth, but pay the same price as me. As a small user, I'm supporting CRTC!!!! Pay and get service according to usage.