TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by spblue See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Great service, great support, best value"
Bad "Nada"
Overall "Best canadian ISP, without a doubt"

I just moved and, reading all the rave reviews teksavvy got on here, I decided to try Teksavvy as my new ISP. Ordering was painless. I had to call them a few times due to a mix-up on the payment method (my fault), and every time I called I got to talk to someone right away, no waiting 10 minutes on an automated voice system.

They processed my payment on a Friday and they called me back Saturday to tell me that a tech from Bell would install my line on Tuesday. The Bell tech showed up Tuesday to activate my line and my modem was able to sync at 5096/800 right away.

I've been using the service for a month now and everything's been fine. I had a few days when my modem would mysteriously lose sync for a few seconds, but it hasn't happened again and it was very probably on Bell's end.

Teksavvy doesn't do any kind of traffic shaping or port blocking, which is great. I'm running my own email server for one of my domain names and remote servers are able to connect fine. For the price ($29.95 + $7.25 for the Dry Loop), the service you get is incredible. I highly recommend them.

Comments:

Review by ragingwolf See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Awesome technical support, price of the service."
Bad "Like all 3rd party dsl, have to let them deal with bell if troubles happen on the line."
Overall "Amazing service and support, rogers or sympatico just don't compare."

I signed up for the dry dsl connection to see if i can get a decent connection in my apartment with dsl. From the moment I started talking to the Teksavvy representatives and from reading all the other reviews, I knew this was a good company to go with. I also had my own dsl modem, so the initial setup cost to me, was not huge at all.

When it came around to my connection date, they told me bell was going to do a remote activation for the line and should be up and running by midnight. Sure enough, the next day the line was up and running, but of course not without issues like I had hoped :/

At first it only connected at ~800kbit/s download sync and was far from stable. Although the dsl light on my modem stayed lit, my ping, especially in online gaming, would constantly spike into the 1000's of ms. I called Teksavvy about this, and although I was fairly far from the C/O, ~5km, my line stats were fairly bad and they needed to have bell look at the line.

So I waited a few days to have them look at the line, but never heard from bell or Teksavvy about it further. When I called in again, Teksavvy put in another ticket for me to have bell look at the line. The next day I get a call from a bell tech saying that at the base of my building his connection was solid and he was going to investigate the line to my apartment to see if one of the wires was mixed up or something. When I got home that day, my line stats had improved tremendously, and was connected and stable at the 2mbit w/ interleave profile, but had the capacity for about a 4mbit/s sync.

After this, it was just a matter of tweaking with the profiles to get decently fast connection with good ping, and I now currently sit at 3mbit/s on open path. I also, just for the heck of it went the email route, and literally had a response in like 10mins. Also, their phone support was very quick as well, I don't think I was on hold for more than maybe 5mins and someone was on the line and talking to me. Also their tech support are knowledgeable and very pleasant to deal with.

So in conclusion, if you don't mind waiting a day or two for having them deal with bell, if it is a line issue, Sympatico or Rogers are pale in comparison.

Comments:

Review by stunnerrr See Profile

• Location: York,ON
Good "Great techsupport, great price, nice low ping (25-35ms), rock solid network =D"
Bad "N/A"
Overall "Simply The Best Out There"

I had bell and then rogers before but then rogers decided to go nuts with their prices and throttling so i was in the look for a new ISP company and along came Teksavvy. I read some reviews on it, asked around and everyone was saying how great it was and to tell the truth in the begging it was a little bit unbelievable how good everything was sounding. I went ahead and placed an order though and was up and working after 3 days. Ive been with them for half a year now and speeds are great, service is great, and everything has been pretty smooth since. One thing thats always struck my mind and been really surprising is with TekSavvy when you place a call to them you don't wait on hold for 20-30mintues...its more like 2-3seconds. All i can say is "GREAT JOB GUYS". Keep doing what you're doing cause its been great =D.

Comments:

Review by Chris__S See Profile

• Location: St Catharines,ON
Good "Great Price, Excellent tech support, Rock Solid network, Low latency/Jitter"
Overall "Best ISP by far!!!"

With teksavvy for over 2 years and so far they have never let me down. The level of service is outstanding, the consistent low ping times (always 20 ms to peer1) and near non existent jitter means I can be downloading and using my VOIP phone with no problems at all.

The technical support is top notch. You will not be stone walled by the typical level 0 support the major telco's provide, these people know their stuff inside and out.

Highly recommended !!!

Comments:

Review by fds5 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa, ON
Good "Customer service is among the best in the industry."
Bad "None so far."
Overall "Good value, great tech support and no restrictions on use."

Broadband ISP History
----------------------------------
Shaw, Rogers & Sympatico concurrently, Telus & Shaw concurrently, Rogers

Rogers recent large-scale throttling of BT traffic forced me to switch broadband providers. Bell's new policy enforcing their 30GB Cap also made their High Speed DSL service less than attractive as a viable option. After further research I decided to go with Teksavvy's 5Mb Dry DSL Unlimited plan.

Activation & Technical Support
--------------------------------------------
Internet service was activated on the date I specified although I ran into a minor problem getting the Speedtouch 546 DSL Modem to sync because it was defaulted to operate in ADSL2+ mode. A quick call to Tech Support and a few minutes later I was back on multimode with a solid sync and everything was ready to go.
I later noticed that I was on a 3008/800kbps speed profile so I gave them another call to see if I can get on a 5Mb profile and as usual they answered right away and was subsequently put through to tech support. A quick check of my line stats and it was determined that I would have no problem getting on a full 5Mb profile which was scheduled to occur in 1-2 business days. Later that evening to my surprise I noticed that I was already transferred onto a 5Mb profile --- talk about quick service! After hearing stories of how people had to keep nagging Bell to move their service over to 5Megabit my experience was rather painless by comparison.

Downstream/Upstream Speeds
---------------------------------------------
Downstream speeds have generally been very good thus far with BT transfers coming in at 500KB/s and an Upstream of 65-70KB/s on well seeded torrents. Usenet speeds are capable of maxing out the connection at a sustained 500KB/s as well. I cannot comment on the latency aspect at this time as I do not game online.

Bottom line
----------------
I am glad that there are solid ISP alternatives to Rogers and Bell in Canada like Teksavvy otherwise many of us would still be in the dark ages of broadband where restrictions on use become acceptable and normal in conjunction with rising prices and degrading customer service. My personal experience thus far has been excellent and appears to be indicative of their high level of service you can expect as others have also attested.

**Please note that this is an on-going review so if there are any significant changes that warrant praise or criticism I shall endeavour to update the review accordingly to reflect them.

Comments:

Review by SteveSE See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Service is reliable. Tek support is excellent!"
Overall "This is the DSL provider you want in your corner."

A quick review to highlight something Teksavvy is well known for which I just experienced.

I have has rock-solid service since Feb-2007. Connection maxes out at 4300+/650 There was a recent issue Bell had, it was weird and my download rates were at dial-up speed.

Teksavvy took the lead and worked to get the issue resolved with Bell. They opened two tickets with Bell and have restored my full connection.

I have a VOIP setup so a reliable, fast connection is a must! At every point over this 1 1/2 week slowdown I always felt it was important to Teksavvy that my issues be resolved. I even got a follow-up call on my voicemail from Dave on a Friday night.

I'm not sure what it's like with other DSL providers, but I'm glad I have Teksavvy in my corner. No one wants issues, but if they come up there's confidence Teksavvy staff with work to resolve it to your satisfaction.

Thanks Teksavvy.

Comments:

Review by interpaul9 See Profile

• Location: Quebec,QC
Good "service impeccable, bas prix"
Bad "aucun jusqu' maintenant"
Overall "j'aurais d changer pour teksavvy bien avant"

J'ai commandé le service DSL sur le site de teksavvy un vendredi durant la nuit. J'ai reçu un email le samedi matin me disant que mon service serait activé dans 5 jours. Je branche immédiatement mon modem.....surprise la connexion fonctionne. J'ai été sur le profil 3 M pendant 5 jours et on m'a ensuite monté sur le 5 M, sans que j'aie à demander quoique ce soit. Somme toutes, l'activation du service a été très rapide et les réponses à mes courriels l'ont été tout autant. Vraiment impressionant.

De plus, j'obtiens des vitesses très respectables...légèrement supérieures à ce que j'avais quand j'étais avec B S.

De ce que j'ai vu jusqu'à maintenant, je ne peux que très fortement recommander teksavvy.

Comments:

Review by ancodia See Profile

• Location: Georgetown,ON
Good "Honest!"
Bad "none"
Overall "Good reliable service with knowledgable employees!"

I switched from Cogeco after Cogeco implemented (without notice) caps on their customers. Since the switch to Teksavvy I have been more than impressed with their quick, honest service. From the pre-sales phone call to the final installation, everyone I dealt with in every stage of the process was knowledgable, helpful and most importantly HONEST! Most big companies will lie to you to get the sale but with Teksavvy everything they told me from day one held true, and after being burned by Cogeco I must say it is refreshing to deal with a company like this! Give them a try, you will not be disappointed. It is truly a company where the employees are all working 100% to please the customer.

Comments:

Review by minupla See Profile

• Location: York,ON
Good "Excellent service, knowlegable staff"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Go with these guys! Fair price, great service."

Firstly let me say I'm not easy to impress when it comes to an ISP. I ran one, I know the drill. I've also been doing networking for about 18 years now, so I can be a bit demanding when it comes to my backbone provider, and I tend to get frustrated when the Bell/Rogers guy takes me click by click through releasing/renewing my IP. (I uh-huh in the right places and restart the ISC DHCP client on the linux box... never mentioning the L word to the CSR).

Teksavvy impressed me. They know what they're talking about and I'm very happy with the service thus far. Things happen when they say they will and they don't promise what they can't deliver. The staff has a technical clue and comprehends that sometimes their customers do too.

5 stars and two thumbs up for Teksavvy. I may get another line and bond them. For the price I was paying Rogers I could get 3 TS 5 meg lines.

Min

Comments:

Review by losrobos See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "Solid connection,Outstanding Tech support,Great Value"
Bad "none"
Overall "Worth every penny"

The only dsl provider I'll use from now on