TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by SuperSalad See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "GREAT customer support, knowledgeable, honest"
Bad "Having to go through Bell"
Overall "Great alternative ISP to Bell and the other big guys who have *limited* UNLIMITED access"

They'll let let you bring your own modem and will help you with issues. They don't automatically disclaim responsibility for non-standard setups.

For the technically-minded, it's nice to know that when you call or email them, they are willing to bump it up to your level of knowledge, instead of treating you like a toddler and asking you to start in Safe-Mode or other ridiculous nonsense.

They have minimal downtime (maybe once in the , and when I called about it they admitted having a problem and it was up again in a few minutes. I can't tell you how many times I've had to call Bell for my clients and fight with them because they kept blaming the problem on something on my end. Profiles/speeds generally stay the way that they are supposed to unless Bell messes something up. Setup was a breeze except the Bell tech who arrived seemed to not know what I was talking about when I said I wanted the line prepped for a non-Bell DSL provider.

No sneaky contract business. You get to choose your term. I feel like they are so confident in their product that they don't need to lock you in, you'll simply choose to stay.

I didn't have a modem yet and they activated my service, and _called_ me to ask if I was having trouble because they hadn't seen any activity on the line! Wow!

They've done a recent upgrade to their plans, upping the premium (low latency plan) cap from 100GB to 200GB per month.

The only thing I would like to see is binary newsgroup service included (they offer discounts through another provider), and 20MB or so of webspace/FTP space.

Comments:

Review by alec9 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "fast, english speaking services, no shaping, 200gb cap"
Bad "5mb"

Had Rogers, then switched to Sympatico which started to traffic shape, it was nice at 7mb but once traffic was shaped, it was useless, Switched to TekSavvy, within the week I was up and going.

Speeds were around 200kb on speed tests but couple hours after using it, the speeds went up and maxed out at about 600kb/s.

30$ for 200gb cap, cant complain, Best ISP ever!. Planning to switch over a few other people to it. Any discounts for that?

Comments:

Review by Cliffy See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Easy to get through to the company, online banking payments"
Bad "None yet, but I should have switched over a lot earlier."
Overall "So far so good."

I ordered the Premium DSL 5 meg option. I had my first payment through before I hung up the phone and had a confirmation email shortly after.

I had a problem canceling with my previous provider, however I set up my Teksavvy account the day they said and DSL and email were already working. I haven't been with them long but my speed hasn't been affected at all and latency dropped by an incredible amount.

I had started recommending this ISP to friends about a year or so ago and their experiences with support and customer service convinced me to take my own advice.

Comments:

Review by sugarton See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Incredibly fair price, high bandwidth allowance, speed at least comparable to Bell Sympatico, great service area"
Bad "Bad speed if you're far from a CO however this is common to any DSL service"
Overall "Low price, lots of bandwidth. Great alternative to the more popular providers."

Switched to Teksavvy from Bell Sympatico and have only been impressed. The call to set up the service was incredibly friendly and helpful. Everything was explained in clear terms and I had no questions at all. Billing since has been smooth and installation was fine (I required no additional assistance however I'm sure that if I did it would have been provided).

Speed is consistent and at least as fast as I had on Sympatico. I don't imagine myself ever using up the 200GB monthly bandwidth limit either. I'm incredibly impressed with the fact the speed is the same if not more than Sympatico however at a full $10 cheaper per month (and with more than 3 times the bandwidth allowance).

Have recommended Teksavvy to others since and will definitely keep doing so.

Comments:

Review by Taylortbb See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "Excellent value, amazing support, good speeds"
Bad "None at all"
Overall "It's worth switching"

Coming from Rogers I can only say I am amazed with the service I have received from TekSavvy. The staff are friendly, the speeds are good, and throttling is nowhere to be found.

I pay $34/month for premium and a static IP. This is far less than what I would be paying elsewhere, and the service is better. I never really understood what amazing service from an ISP was until I tried TekSavvy. I expect voice menus when I call, technicians that I have to argue with, and random insane policies. TekSavvy has none of these problems. When you get an e-mail from Rogers it's to let you know something isn't right or they're taking something away, last time I got an e-mail from TekSavvy it told me they were doubling my cap without an increase in price. It's a very different feeling.

The community TekSavvy has here on Broadband Reports is also a great thing. I am in the loop about what my ISP is doing, and I get to weigh in on corporate policy. You don't know amazing this is until you experience it.

I placed my order online and my modem arrived two days later, I setup my modem and waited for my activation date. 5 business after processing my order my line was activated, right on schedule. Everything has worked great from day one.

I highly recommend TekSavvy to anyone looking for an ISP.

Comments:

Review by Frescard See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Incredible Customer Service, Great Prices & Speeds"
Bad "NONE"
Overall "Best company I ever did business with"

After dealing with Bell's mind-blowing incompetence for over 5 years I finally switched over to TekSavvy, and I couldn't be happier.

Talking to them on the phone is actually A PLEASANT EXPERIENCE (!), unlike the Sympatico nightmare. A human being picks up the phone after a couple of rings, and not only that, but a human being WITH A CLUE! Somebody who knows what he's talking about. Somebody who is intelligent (and intelligible!) and interested in what your issue is! I can't even remember when I last had a customer service experience this nice and successful!

(Parallel to me, my girlfriend also switched over from Bell, and while her knowledge of computers is a bit more limited than mine, she too was blown away at the kind of service she was getting.)

Everything went smoothly from day one - from placing the order to getting confirmations, activations and information. Not a single screwup at either mine or my girlfriend's accounts.

What is also so refreshing is the honesty of Teksavvy. They tell you what's up, whether it's good or bad, without weaseling around, and their policies are refreshingly clear and upfront - something you will not find anymore very often nowadays.

The only area of improvement I could think of would be the pre-sales section. As long as you only sell to techies the scarce information on their site is ok, but if I recommend TS to a "naive" computer user, they all end up being pretty lost on the TS site. The information there could be a bit more "friendly" and clearer, with simple step-by-step instructions on how to go about an ISP switch.

Since I only had them for a few days now I can't rate the reliability yet, but I will add that as soon as a few months have passed.

Comments:

Review by Sanny8 See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "Fantastic Tech Support, Great Speeds"
Overall "Fantastic company, make the switch you won't regret it."

After losing patience with my then ISP I decided to move to another provider. I had looked at Rogers, but finally came across this site and in turn the information about TekSavvy. Had a look through the reviews and everything seemed great so I signed up.

I'm paying $30 a month for a 5meg connection with a 200Gb cap and even with the $4 for a static IP I'm still paying $20 a month LESS than I did with my previous ISP. Yet with TekSavvy I get great tech support, no throttling and i'm not tied into a contract.

Regards the tech support;

After getting a static IP I found that I couldn't get Joost to work anymore. I tried to solve it myself but got nowhere. But two posts from a TekSavvy employee on these forums and two quick phone calls to tech support and the problem was solved. It was fantastic service and I shudder to think of the nightmare I would have went through had I called up my previous ISP with the same problem.

The service you get from the staff, both on the phone and on these forums is first class. It makes a huge difference to call up and not feel like the person is just reading from a script and couldn't care less about you. When you call up TekSavvy it's quick, no waiting, they're polite and most importantly they actually seem interested in helping you and want to help you.

I really can't praise them enough, I'm so glad I made the switch, I wish I'd made it sooner.

Comments:

Review by PurpleH4z3 See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Great Tech support and Very Open"
Bad "None soo far."
Overall "The way a company should be.."

Made the switch 2months back and never looked back wish i had found these guys a long time ago. After being with bell for 6yrs with a 3/800 connection and only being with TSI for a month they managed to get me bumped up to a 4/800 connection something bell told me wasn't possible. Not only are they very helpful in all matters of troubleshooting your problems they are very open with there customers with what they do.

You can bet your bottom dollar I'll be sticking around with these guys for a long time.

Comments:

Review by gord27 See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Tech support, no throttling"
Bad "none so far."
Overall "beats the crap out of bell."

after years of frustration with sympatico i'm finally satisfied with my internet service.

Comments:

Review by pcmikepl See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "The change over was butter smooth"
Bad "Nothing that you can blame Teksavvy for"
Overall "If your reading this, your knowledgeable enough to set it up"

$30 5mb/800kb with 200GB cap (way better then a Bell cap)

$4 Static IP

Modem: $100 direct from Teksavvy: Speedsteam 614

I used to be on the Bell Hispeed plan (grandfathered, no cap), but I wanted a static ip, didn't need one but wanted one. on Bell it would of cost me +$20~ to get the equal business plan, which I'm not even sure you can on a residential line. So, BAM I found Teksavvy here, on my favorite forum on internet service. Ordering it was easy, its just that there was a delay of 30 days because of the crappy Bell cancellation policy. The change over was butter smooth. I didn't even have to do anything besides connecting a new modem and user/password ahead of time. The service hours are amazing and the staff there is actually smart AND helpful (that is rare). I had a slightly advanced problem (wrong VCI setting after modem reset) but in 30 minutes it was fixed and working. The help I've received was simple and quick. So if you know how to plug in a DSL modem you will know how to fix your problem. The things I hate that Teksavvy cannot fix (for now): using bell lines, crappy rental house wiring and running fiber to everyone's home so we don't have to use anything related to Bell. In the end I'm saving $10~/month for the lack of a modem rental!