TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by Frescard See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Incredible Customer Service, Great Prices & Speeds"
Bad "NONE"
Overall "Best company I ever did business with"

After dealing with Bell's mind-blowing incompetence for over 5 years I finally switched over to TekSavvy, and I couldn't be happier.

Talking to them on the phone is actually A PLEASANT EXPERIENCE (!), unlike the Sympatico nightmare. A human being picks up the phone after a couple of rings, and not only that, but a human being WITH A CLUE! Somebody who knows what he's talking about. Somebody who is intelligent (and intelligible!) and interested in what your issue is! I can't even remember when I last had a customer service experience this nice and successful!

(Parallel to me, my girlfriend also switched over from Bell, and while her knowledge of computers is a bit more limited than mine, she too was blown away at the kind of service she was getting.)

Everything went smoothly from day one - from placing the order to getting confirmations, activations and information. Not a single screwup at either mine or my girlfriend's accounts.

What is also so refreshing is the honesty of Teksavvy. They tell you what's up, whether it's good or bad, without weaseling around, and their policies are refreshingly clear and upfront - something you will not find anymore very often nowadays.

The only area of improvement I could think of would be the pre-sales section. As long as you only sell to techies the scarce information on their site is ok, but if I recommend TS to a "naive" computer user, they all end up being pretty lost on the TS site. The information there could be a bit more "friendly" and clearer, with simple step-by-step instructions on how to go about an ISP switch.

Since I only had them for a few days now I can't rate the reliability yet, but I will add that as soon as a few months have passed.

Comments:

Review by Sanny8 See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "Fantastic Tech Support, Great Speeds"
Overall "Fantastic company, make the switch you won't regret it."

After losing patience with my then ISP I decided to move to another provider. I had looked at Rogers, but finally came across this site and in turn the information about TekSavvy. Had a look through the reviews and everything seemed great so I signed up.

I'm paying $30 a month for a 5meg connection with a 200Gb cap and even with the $4 for a static IP I'm still paying $20 a month LESS than I did with my previous ISP. Yet with TekSavvy I get great tech support, no throttling and i'm not tied into a contract.

Regards the tech support;

After getting a static IP I found that I couldn't get Joost to work anymore. I tried to solve it myself but got nowhere. But two posts from a TekSavvy employee on these forums and two quick phone calls to tech support and the problem was solved. It was fantastic service and I shudder to think of the nightmare I would have went through had I called up my previous ISP with the same problem.

The service you get from the staff, both on the phone and on these forums is first class. It makes a huge difference to call up and not feel like the person is just reading from a script and couldn't care less about you. When you call up TekSavvy it's quick, no waiting, they're polite and most importantly they actually seem interested in helping you and want to help you.

I really can't praise them enough, I'm so glad I made the switch, I wish I'd made it sooner.

Comments:

Review by PurpleH4z3 See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Great Tech support and Very Open"
Bad "None soo far."
Overall "The way a company should be.."

Made the switch 2months back and never looked back wish i had found these guys a long time ago. After being with bell for 6yrs with a 3/800 connection and only being with TSI for a month they managed to get me bumped up to a 4/800 connection something bell told me wasn't possible. Not only are they very helpful in all matters of troubleshooting your problems they are very open with there customers with what they do.

You can bet your bottom dollar I'll be sticking around with these guys for a long time.

Comments:

Review by gord27 See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Tech support, no throttling"
Bad "none so far."
Overall "beats the crap out of bell."

after years of frustration with sympatico i'm finally satisfied with my internet service.

Comments:

Review by pcmikepl See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "The change over was butter smooth"
Bad "Nothing that you can blame Teksavvy for"
Overall "If your reading this, your knowledgeable enough to set it up"

$30 5mb/800kb with 200GB cap (way better then a Bell cap)

$4 Static IP

Modem: $100 direct from Teksavvy: Speedsteam 614

I used to be on the Bell Hispeed plan (grandfathered, no cap), but I wanted a static ip, didn't need one but wanted one. on Bell it would of cost me +$20~ to get the equal business plan, which I'm not even sure you can on a residential line. So, BAM I found Teksavvy here, on my favorite forum on internet service. Ordering it was easy, its just that there was a delay of 30 days because of the crappy Bell cancellation policy. The change over was butter smooth. I didn't even have to do anything besides connecting a new modem and user/password ahead of time. The service hours are amazing and the staff there is actually smart AND helpful (that is rare). I had a slightly advanced problem (wrong VCI setting after modem reset) but in 30 minutes it was fixed and working. The help I've received was simple and quick. So if you know how to plug in a DSL modem you will know how to fix your problem. The things I hate that Teksavvy cannot fix (for now): using bell lines, crappy rental house wiring and running fiber to everyone's home so we don't have to use anything related to Bell. In the end I'm saving $10~/month for the lack of a modem rental!

Comments:

Review by dan991199 See Profile

• Location: St Catharines,ON
Good "Unlimited usage"
Bad "Bell dictates the speed"
Overall "Great alternative to ISPs with bitcaps"

only been with TSI for a short time but the staff are great, and the lack of a bit cap makes this a great choice for any heavy user.

Comments:

Review by Smokin Chipz See Profile

• Location: The Market
Good " Service is reliable, modem next day usually, tech support proves awesome"
Bad "Getting activated takes 5 days in most cases, but not their fault."
Overall "Great value and the rare time you need help, its polite and resolve time is fast."

I've got a static IP for an extra $4 a month and it does exactly what I expect it to do.
Bottom line it does what is supposed to.
When you have to order a modem with your package, it is delivered next day usually, but the service sometimes takes like a week to get activated. This is not the fault of Teksavvy, it is the "bell" operations part of the process.
I have recommended this service to several people with success.

Comments:

Review by westvv See Profile

• Location: M2J 1U8
Good "the tech support is very good, I did not see a company like that."
Bad "As a bigger and bigger company, I think they should consider more upstream providers"

Well. I had used their service as a login account customer, basicly, their service is good, I mark it as 4.5 out of 5, you can think it's the best service with good price, but right now, their unlimited service price goes higher, 10 dollars difference. Premium service keep the same price, I do not know if that will be raised later. anyway, I think it's a growing company, right now it has peer1, cogent, and teleglobe as the upstream, but with more and more customer and maybe more and more business customers, it should consider more decent upstream service providers, like Alter(as701), Sprint(as1239), at&t (as as7018), German telecom(as3320, Deutsche Telekom AG).... I know they are expensive providers.

Comments:

Review by rupture See Profile

• Location: Toronto, ON
Good "Fast setup and knowledgeable customer service. Great price for DSL internet service, absolutely no regrets thus far."
Bad "None whatsoever"
Overall "Great ISP and would recommend to all!"

All I can say is: fast setup and knowledgeable customer service! I am paying a great price for unlimited service, absolutely no regrets thus far. I ordered the unlimited DSL package about 2 weeks ago. The connection has been rock solid and I have not had any difficulties with their internet or email service. The price is comparable to other ISPs on the market. What really sold me was that the support staff was incredibly knowledgeable and actually willing to assist! I've heard great thing about Teksavvy and thus far, they have lived up to all the hype! I would definitely recommend Teksavvy to anyone in search of an affordable and reliable internet service provider.

Update Nov 28 2007 (one year later):

My kind words for Teksavvy continue. They have made a switch with their DSL internet packages due to the increase in price and demand for bandwidth on their end. I was on their unlimited package but switched to the premium service, where the price remained the same. The switch was simple and quick and I think I'll benefit more from the service. The cap for premium has since been upgraded to 200GB, more than I could ever use in a month. I generally don't need much tech support but the times that I have required it, the staff at TSI have answered and resolved issues to my satisfaction each and everytime. I see myself with Teksavvy for years to come and will certainly recommend their services to all of my friends and family!

Comments:

Review by xgmranti See Profile

• Location: Almonte,ON
Good "Quick and easy"
Overall "The way it should be"

I signed up with Teksavvy for the Premium login for $10 a month (100GB Cap).

Called in to their toll free number, was redirected to a sales rep, and finished the sign up in a little under 5 minutes.

Account was live within 3 hours, initial connection appears to be stable.

For $10 a month; a nice backup connection with Peer 1 transit and slightly better pings then Primus for gaming. You can't really go wrong, more reliable then paying for "Business class DSL".

Will update the review as I go.