TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by xgmranti See Profile

• Location: Almonte,ON
Good "Quick and easy"
Overall "The way it should be"

I signed up with Teksavvy for the Premium login for $10 a month (100GB Cap).

Called in to their toll free number, was redirected to a sales rep, and finished the sign up in a little under 5 minutes.

Account was live within 3 hours, initial connection appears to be stable.

For $10 a month; a nice backup connection with Peer 1 transit and slightly better pings then Primus for gaming. You can't really go wrong, more reliable then paying for "Business class DSL".

Will update the review as I go.

Comments:

Review by hakunamatata1 See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "excellent custojmer service/teksupport"
Bad "only getting 2.5M speed"

Was with bell before, they charged me too much for internet, switched to teksavvy, smooth transition, good pricing and customer service cancelled bell home phone after that so had to go on dry loop, everything is good ,except i am only getting 2.5 meg , i was told that it is due to the physical limitation of the bell line, not sure if that is true , before i cancelled bell service they had put in a ticket for the speed and i saw my speed going up to 4 meg.

Comments:

Review by vivalite See Profile

• Location: Peterborough,ON
Good "Good reliable service, very responsive customer service"
Bad "No so far"
Overall "Strongly recommended!"

200GB cap which more than I need. Rock solid connection, speed of 6016Kb/800Kb....What else I can ask for $29.95?

Teksvvy is the best ISP ever, strongly recommended!

member for 11.6 years, 164 visits, last login: 4.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by Ares45 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Speed, customer service, price"
Bad "Dependancy on local telco (Bell)"
Overall "Great ISP with great local customer support."

Switching from Bell's Sympatico was a breeze; 5 days to activate the connection, then just login and you're up and running. You can use existing equipment from Sympatico if you have it, or purchase a DSL modem separately.

With the Premium plan, I'm getting 200GB/month with a 3Mbps (max my line will handle) for a little over $30. And great tech support to boot.

Not only am I saving about $20/month on my internet, I'm also getting better service.

Highly recommend this company and their services!

member for 6.8 years, 3438 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by disman_ca See Profile

• Location: Uxbridge,ON
Good "Quick delivery of modem kit"
Bad "No documentation with kit"

I found TekSavvy on CandianISP.com and compared them with all the other DSL providers in my area. They seemed to offer the best dolllar value. I read many user reviews from dslreports.com and read everything I could from their site (not very much to read there). In the end I called and had my questions answered (glad they had a toll free number). TekSavvy's prices for the DSL hardware is a little high compared to some other sources, but they are decent enough to let you can use your own modem if you prefer.

Anyway I ordered the kit online using their registration system (my preferred method) and it arrived 2 days later (not bad). I plugged in the filters, connected the modem to the telephone jack, turned it on and was happy to see the LEDs light up for line synch. I plugged in my wireless router, entered the PPoE account info, rebooted the wireless router and bang connection online and active. I gotta say that was the easiest DSL setup I have every done. I always dread it when I have a client says they have DSL (usually Stinkpatico) because it is never out of the box easy.

One downside is, I didn't find their how-to setup information forth coming. More to the point I couldn't find any. My mother-in-law and most of my work clients would never have managed this without a phone call to a tech somewhere. I for one was skeptical of how easy it was going to be.

My mother-in-law is happy and I'm happy. I used this experience as a gauge to see if it was going to be worth me switching over. I hope TekSavvy will appreciate that I will be bring them at least another 2 more subscribers in the next 2 weeks (mine and my brother-in-law).

Good job TekSavvy!

Comments:

Review by binarydruid See Profile

• Location: Markham,ON
Good "Cost, value for your money, Reliability, customer & technical support."
Bad "I haven't found any yet after 7 months so far."
Overall "Teksavvy is one of the better alternatives to any of the big conglomerates what ever the package they come up with."

Back in February, I was so fed up with Rogers lack of service, that I finally decided to make the move to a different ISP. I had been with Rogers for over 10 years, and I didn't want to start flopping back & forth between ISPs.

So I did my research, including all the different reviews. From what I red, Teksavvy came in fairly strong. So I gave them a shot. From a pure economic standpoint, the difference was enormous.

At the time I left Rogers, I was on their Extreme package with a 6mbps down & 800kbps up. I was probably getting 2 mbps on average & the service was slowly degradating.

I signed up with Teksavvy on their premium package with 5mbps down & 800 kbps up for 29.95$/month plus GST only. There's NO other service charges or hidden fees. They've just recently sent me an email indicating changes to my account. They've changed the cap from 100gbs to 200gbs. OMG... 200 GBs ?!?! I'll never be able to leave the house now.

Now, I'm saving 20 $ a month, and not only is my connection extremely stable, but I've been getting the throughput that I want.

Talking with their tech support or even their customer service department is a breeze, efficient & simple. You don't have an annoying voice recording, asking you to press this prompt or say this word, and end up getting routed to some pour sucker that you can't even understand due to a language barrier, only to be transferred to another waiting queue for 20 minutes.

Every time I've had to call them, my phone calls were under 5 minutes, from the moment that I picked up the receiver, to the time that I put the phone down. I haven't seen this kind of service in a long time. This is what service should be like.

Did I mention that their staff is actually are actually knowledgeable & are empowered to take care of the customers right when they phone? You don't even need to argue with them to the point where you have to speak to a supervisor & argue with him as well for 20 minutes for them to fix their screw-ups.

Something else that they do is they send you an email when they're going to be doing maintenance, on their system . Instead of playing the ignorant card like the other guys.

So all & all, in my humble opinion, Teksavvy is one of the better alternatives to any of the big conglomerates what ever the package they come up with.

Comments:

Review by look30 See Profile

• Location: K-W
Good "Alternative to the big two (Bell and Rogers)"
Bad "Slower than advertised,"
Overall "I am stuck with them cause they suck less than the others."

I had to leave Rogers after being continuously harassed by their incompetent tech support for presumably having a virus on my computer.
After being disconnected for the third time, this time I didn't even had the modem connected for almost a week, for "virus and worms" activity I decided to look for alternatives to My , until now , trusty Rogers Extreme service and after reading the reviews on this site I decided to give it a try.

First week I experienced loss of connection and extremely low speeds but after 7-10 days I started to get constant speeds on regular bases of 2400 k for download and 800k for upload.

I chose to go for the Unlimited package as in my Rogers days I was constantly going over the limit due to using the trumpeted multimedia experience of watching TV and listen to radio on the net , activities which conducted to the constant harassment from Rogers people and the ultimate parting with that crappy company.

I would rate Teksavvy as Good and for now and a keeper , especially if they find a way to squeeze some more speed on my line. This change of heart came after further investigating the matters and talking with their CSR which was kind of helpful and based in Canada , not "john" and "Jonathan" from Calcutta

I am planning like some users suggested here to switch to Premium and get the 200GB cap for the same price as what I pay now for Unlimited.

I bought the Netgear WGR614 wireless router and although the setup and the wired routing is good the wireless part was horrible. I configured it as modem only and have the routing going through Netgear WPN824 and now I get great routing and Wireless coverage.

Overall I am SUPER HAPPY of getting rid of Rogers and that is priceless.

P.S.
1. I was only going by 10% over the 100 GB limit with rogers

2. With Teksavvy Unlimited there is a slower response due to ramping , CSR could not explain that to me when I called so still not clear what that means but it is slower than normal browsing.

3. Please refrain from personal attacks and bullying me into singing odes to Teksavvy , as I will stick with my opinion.

Comments:

Review by pcouturier See Profile

• Location: Quebec,QC
Good "Price"
Bad "Slow speed"
Overall "Good ISP if you have acceptable speed from the start."

Since I moved to Quebec City, I was a Teksavvy customer. But I dessided to switch ISP, after a couples of complains for low speed. I had low speed with my new ISP but there were able to change things where Teksavvy wasen't. So now I have 4000mbps instead of 1200mbps with Teksavvy. The thing I regret the most, is that I have paid for 3 or 5 mbps and never got something close to that.

I will not recommend Teksavvy to any friends.

Comments:

Review by Guspaz See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Great price, great service, easy to reach, care about customers, enormous caps."
Bad "Unlimited service no longer as cheap as Premium."
Overall "You won't find a better ISP for the price in North America. Maybe for any price."

A bit of a rocky setup due to incompetence on Bell's part (took 3 weeks to get my dry loop activated). Not TSI's fault, they're at Bell's mercy for installation. They did their best, and gave me credit for the time.

Service has been very reliable and fast since then, and I'm quite happy. Having their own forum here on DSLR means a LOT more transparency, which is nice.

My only major suggestion would be a Montreal PoP. Because their core network is in Toronto, all your traffic has to go through there, which can add 10 to 15ms of latency to your first hop (mine is 17 with TSI versus 6 with Bell). If you're in Ontario, this will be much less and probably won't matter. If you're in Montreal, it's something to keep in mind.

Quite possibly the best thing is that when you call them, they have very short wait times, and no menu system (they transfer you to the first human they can find). Every single one of their tech support guys is very knowledgeable, and won't become confused when you start talking about DSLAMs and noise margins.

EDIT: I've decided that the added 10ms on the first hop from the lack of a Montreal PoP isn't worth an 80% rating in the service category; I'm not THAT picky about pings, and I'm quite happy with them just the way they are. So that rating has been bumped up to 100%.

EDIT2: TekSavvy recently doubled my cap, reduced my overage fees, and gave me the option of buying more bandwidth in bulk. I can't increase the value for money or services categories any more, but if the last edit didn't justify the increase enough, this one sure does. Install co-ordination, unfortunately, isn't something that an ISP can change once you're a subscriber, so it probably won't change.

member for 12.9 years, 3473 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by TwentyMBPS See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Best service, best tech support, best price, no throttling, no caps, no port blocking"
Bad "NONE."
Overall "TekSavvy is the best value out there."

TEK SAVVY RULES!