TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by binarydruid See Profile

• Location: Markham,ON
Good "Cost, value for your money, Reliability, customer & technical support."
Bad "I haven't found any yet after 7 months so far."
Overall "Teksavvy is one of the better alternatives to any of the big conglomerates what ever the package they come up with."

Back in February, I was so fed up with Rogers lack of service, that I finally decided to make the move to a different ISP. I had been with Rogers for over 10 years, and I didn't want to start flopping back & forth between ISPs.

So I did my research, including all the different reviews. From what I red, Teksavvy came in fairly strong. So I gave them a shot. From a pure economic standpoint, the difference was enormous.

At the time I left Rogers, I was on their Extreme package with a 6mbps down & 800kbps up. I was probably getting 2 mbps on average & the service was slowly degradating.

I signed up with Teksavvy on their premium package with 5mbps down & 800 kbps up for 29.95$/month plus GST only. There's NO other service charges or hidden fees. They've just recently sent me an email indicating changes to my account. They've changed the cap from 100gbs to 200gbs. OMG... 200 GBs ?!?! I'll never be able to leave the house now.

Now, I'm saving 20 $ a month, and not only is my connection extremely stable, but I've been getting the throughput that I want.

Talking with their tech support or even their customer service department is a breeze, efficient & simple. You don't have an annoying voice recording, asking you to press this prompt or say this word, and end up getting routed to some pour sucker that you can't even understand due to a language barrier, only to be transferred to another waiting queue for 20 minutes.

Every time I've had to call them, my phone calls were under 5 minutes, from the moment that I picked up the receiver, to the time that I put the phone down. I haven't seen this kind of service in a long time. This is what service should be like.

Did I mention that their staff is actually are actually knowledgeable & are empowered to take care of the customers right when they phone? You don't even need to argue with them to the point where you have to speak to a supervisor & argue with him as well for 20 minutes for them to fix their screw-ups.

Something else that they do is they send you an email when they're going to be doing maintenance, on their system . Instead of playing the ignorant card like the other guys.

So all & all, in my humble opinion, Teksavvy is one of the better alternatives to any of the big conglomerates what ever the package they come up with.

Comments:

Review by look30 See Profile

• Location: K-W
Good "Alternative to the big two (Bell and Rogers)"
Bad "Slower than advertised,"
Overall "I am stuck with them cause they suck less than the others."

I had to leave Rogers after being continuously harassed by their incompetent tech support for presumably having a virus on my computer.
After being disconnected for the third time, this time I didn't even had the modem connected for almost a week, for "virus and worms" activity I decided to look for alternatives to My , until now , trusty Rogers Extreme service and after reading the reviews on this site I decided to give it a try.

First week I experienced loss of connection and extremely low speeds but after 7-10 days I started to get constant speeds on regular bases of 2400 k for download and 800k for upload.

I chose to go for the Unlimited package as in my Rogers days I was constantly going over the limit due to using the trumpeted multimedia experience of watching TV and listen to radio on the net , activities which conducted to the constant harassment from Rogers people and the ultimate parting with that crappy company.

I would rate Teksavvy as Good and for now and a keeper , especially if they find a way to squeeze some more speed on my line. This change of heart came after further investigating the matters and talking with their CSR which was kind of helpful and based in Canada , not "john" and "Jonathan" from Calcutta

I am planning like some users suggested here to switch to Premium and get the 200GB cap for the same price as what I pay now for Unlimited.

I bought the Netgear WGR614 wireless router and although the setup and the wired routing is good the wireless part was horrible. I configured it as modem only and have the routing going through Netgear WPN824 and now I get great routing and Wireless coverage.

Overall I am SUPER HAPPY of getting rid of Rogers and that is priceless.

P.S.
1. I was only going by 10% over the 100 GB limit with rogers

2. With Teksavvy Unlimited there is a slower response due to ramping , CSR could not explain that to me when I called so still not clear what that means but it is slower than normal browsing.

3. Please refrain from personal attacks and bullying me into singing odes to Teksavvy , as I will stick with my opinion.

Comments:

Review by pcouturier See Profile

• Location: Quebec,QC
Good "Price"
Bad "Slow speed"
Overall "Good ISP if you have acceptable speed from the start."

Since I moved to Quebec City, I was a Teksavvy customer. But I dessided to switch ISP, after a couples of complains for low speed. I had low speed with my new ISP but there were able to change things where Teksavvy wasen't. So now I have 4000mbps instead of 1200mbps with Teksavvy. The thing I regret the most, is that I have paid for 3 or 5 mbps and never got something close to that.

I will not recommend Teksavvy to any friends.

Comments:

Review by Guspaz See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Great price, great service, easy to reach, care about customers, enormous caps."
Bad "Unlimited service no longer as cheap as Premium."
Overall "You won't find a better ISP for the price in North America. Maybe for any price."

A bit of a rocky setup due to incompetence on Bell's part (took 3 weeks to get my dry loop activated). Not TSI's fault, they're at Bell's mercy for installation. They did their best, and gave me credit for the time.

Service has been very reliable and fast since then, and I'm quite happy. Having their own forum here on DSLR means a LOT more transparency, which is nice.

My only major suggestion would be a Montreal PoP. Because their core network is in Toronto, all your traffic has to go through there, which can add 10 to 15ms of latency to your first hop (mine is 17 with TSI versus 6 with Bell). If you're in Ontario, this will be much less and probably won't matter. If you're in Montreal, it's something to keep in mind.

Quite possibly the best thing is that when you call them, they have very short wait times, and no menu system (they transfer you to the first human they can find). Every single one of their tech support guys is very knowledgeable, and won't become confused when you start talking about DSLAMs and noise margins.

EDIT: I've decided that the added 10ms on the first hop from the lack of a Montreal PoP isn't worth an 80% rating in the service category; I'm not THAT picky about pings, and I'm quite happy with them just the way they are. So that rating has been bumped up to 100%.

EDIT2: TekSavvy recently doubled my cap, reduced my overage fees, and gave me the option of buying more bandwidth in bulk. I can't increase the value for money or services categories any more, but if the last edit didn't justify the increase enough, this one sure does. Install co-ordination, unfortunately, isn't something that an ISP can change once you're a subscriber, so it probably won't change.

member for 12.9 years, 3496 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by TwentyMBPS See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Best service, best tech support, best price, no throttling, no caps, no port blocking"
Bad "NONE."
Overall "TekSavvy is the best value out there."

TEK SAVVY RULES!

Comments:

Review by VenusFlytrap See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Call centers are in Canada; Great customer service, Affordable, reliable service."
Bad "Didn't offer me a jelly-filled donut with sprinkles on top ;-)"
Overall "I should have joined Teksavvy months ago"

I'm from Ottawa. I used to subscribe to Magma as my ISP for many years. However, in my opinion, since Primus took over, their quality of service declined until I found it to be totally unbearable. And their call center moved to India -- dealing with them was an exercise in futility, due to their repeated billing mistakes, poor communications skills, long hold times etc.

So, I went to DSLreports and found that Teksavvy was very favorably reviewed. And as an added bonus, Teksavvy was $10 cheaper per month than what I was paying at Magma/Primus. So, I joined Teksavvy. Wow! What a positive experience! I wish I had done it sooner! The transition to Teksavvy went well. I got connected within 5 days.

I've now been with Teksavvy for a couple of months. I subscribe to their Premium residential DSL package. The service has been reliable and excellent overall. Whenever I phone Teksavvy, I actually get a human being in Canada, and they answer in a few rings (unlike Primus -- where you get voice mail hell, and wait until you grow a beard longer than a ZZ Top rocker!). And the few times I've emailed tech support, their response was timely, helpful, and cordial to me. Fantastic! I now recommend Teksavvy to all my friends. I just pray Teksavvy never sells itself to Primus!!! (please don't!)

Comments:

Review by adii8 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Excellent in all aspects of the game!"
Bad "No real French service for reseller in Quebec."
Overall "Can't go wrong with TekSavvy! It's a definite win-win situation."

I used to work for two ISP companies (Inter.net and B2B2C), so I have a perspective of what is a good ISP... From the informations process to the final installation, TekSavvy's staff is there, friendly and efficient. The cost and value are the best, in Montreal anyway, compared to all other major ISP's. Not to mention the speed! I just checked and my downloads are at 626K and my ups are at 86K! That's way better than others...trust me! Price, very acceptable: 31.75$ tax in.

I would not change my ISP for nothing at this time!

Good job TekSavvy!

Comments:

Review by canstocker See Profile

Good "Good value for money"
Bad "Worst service ever when something goes wrong"
Overall "If you don't mind being down for at least a week when something goes wrong, then this is your company"

Once everything is setup things are fine (like most ISPs). However their communication with their clients with regards to getting a Bell tech is downright AWFUL!

3 needs for a Bell tech - 3 awful experiences.

1) I call to register, Teksavvy bills right away and tell me a tech will be at my place in 5 business days. They don't ask when is a good day for me. Fine.

However they fail to call me back to tell me when the service will take place. So while at work, a Bell tech calls to say they are at my house to install the dry loop. So I have to plead with the Bell guy to wait for me as I leave work run home.

2) Internet goes down - call Teksavvy - we need a technician. They ask when is a good day for me (this is a Tuesday by the way). So I tell them Friday or Saturday evening.

Friday and Saturday go by - NO TECH SHOWS UP. I call Teksavvy. They tell me the service call was made from Monday day time!! So miss work Monday - the tech doesn't
show up until the evening!! He tells me that he could have been at my place earlier, but was scheduled for the evening!!

3) I'm move to a different apartment - call Teksavvy on a Monday to get a tech to come in. They tell me the earliest is Friday evening and that this will cost 20$. Fine.

So I call Teksavvy Friday (today) to confirm the tech will show up this evening and to verify what hours are considered evening... and they tell me that Bell only does dry loop connections during the day from 8 to 5!! So now it's Friday afternoon and I will have to leave work early... I will update as time goes by today.

THIS TEKSAVVY COMPANY HAS BEEN EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING. I was with Rogers before and at least when something went wrong they had a tech the next day within a 4 hour period!!

Anyways I will update with what goes on today...

Comments:

Review by TheZodiac See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Top Notch Customer Service and overall experience"
Overall "I'm an idiot for staying with Sympatico so long"

I was put on 3Mb profile but a simple post on Teksavvy direct forum and now I'm 6Mb plus.
I bought my own Speedtouch 516 like everyone has been recommending.

member for 10.8 years, 757 visits, last login: 1.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by BoxerJoe See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Tech support is by far superior to anyother ISP."
Overall "Responsive tech support if needed and great value for services offered."

Switching over to TekSavvy from Sympatico and TekSavvy tech support seems by far better than any other support service from other ISPs that I have used. There support is responsive, you can understand them and you do not have to go through the automated system like most other large ISPs.

I would definately recommend this ISP to others. Great job TekSavvy.