TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by moofo See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Geek Friendly, easy to talk to tech support, No port blocking"
Bad "None I can think of"
Overall "The best ISP you can find using DSL"

I'm with Teksavvy since 2002, back in the time they used to resell "iStop". In fact my customer number is below 40 !

I ran servers in my basement with them on a regular 3000/800 DSL line until the end of 2009. I had a 5 address subnet assigned and they went as far as setting reverse dns on them so my mail server would receive and send mail properly. If I remember well, my subnet was like 15 $ a month. in 2004, I switched to a Naked DSL. At the end of 2009. I stopped hosting my servers at my place for various reasons and switched my line to a single static IP, which was well enough for my needs. With the years upgrades brought my line to 6000/800.

I had some problems with the connectivity. However, they were either Bell's or my modem's fault as I went through a modem a year at one point (Don't ask). I never bought my equipment through teksavvy so I don't know. Through the years I've been using a mixture of Thompson, GVC, and now Cisco DSL/network gear and I had no problem configuring them for teksavvy.

I appreciate the fact that you call there and talk to a human being upfront.

I run many voip phones over my dsl line and it works perfectly. I have the bandwith I'm paying for and the caps are generous.

UPDATE July 29 2010...

I decided to leave as I'm just tired to deal with problems with Bell. Their tech support is very good however, for the last two tickets I had opened, I didn't get the kind of frequent feedback I like.

I was having a weird issue of packet loss which got somehow lost by tech support.

Too bad guys... I might be back one day.

I totally understand the battles they are doing and I support them in this, but in the end, I want a working connection.

Update September 18 2014

I'm a teksavvy customer again since the end of 2012. It's smooth sailing and I hardly had to call tech support. Speed is awesome as well as reliability.

It's good to be back !

member for 10.7 years, 962 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Martin

Thanks for the updates

Glad to see/hear you are enjoying your services with Teksavvy. Let us know if you ever has questions, we'll gladly answer them.

Martin

Review by Kboylen See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Cheap, they say sorry alot"
Bad "Anything involving a technician takes forever and is painful "
Overall "Tech support is polite, but can't seem to get anything done"

I've been with Teksavvy for a long time. I've made it through initial setup and one move. Both went terribly. Now I want to upgrade my speed and again it's not looking good.

For example I work 15 minutes away from my work. So a simple phone call when the technician is about to arrive should be a simple thing, but they can't do it. Instead I'm supposed to take an entire day off work if the off chance (in my experience 1/4) that the technician actually shows up. I just started a new job, so this isn't happening. Even if I could do weekends (I can't because the building manager isn't around) I wouldn't want to waste an entire day at home, waiting for nobody. I doubt Teksavvy could even get weekend appointments.

I'm basically stuck with this package. I am actually not able to pay them more money because there service is so bad.

Comments:

TSI Jonathan
join:2011-08-24
canada

Hi Kboylen,

I'm sorry to read about your previous experiences with us and thank you for taking the time to post a review. There has been quite a few changes made by our vendor regarding required tech visits. Some of the services now have time frames for DSL which are 8-12, 12-5 and 5-9. They also do Saturday appointments now which are all day appointments.

There may be some way that we could arrange to have your building management's contact information so that they can give the tech access to complete the upgrade.
The things you described here are things that are set out by our vendor that are out of our control. The technicians not showing up for example is one one of those that we are currently working on with our vendor to ensure that it improves.

Feel free to post in the direct forum so that we can look into things further with you and answer any additional questions you may have. We're always happy to help!

Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Review by Scottie22 See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Fast, Friendly Service, Speeds are top knotch."
Bad "None!"
Overall "Can't possibly go wrong."

Ordered with 25/10 VDSL2 package on approximately the 29th of August and was promised an install date of either September 11th, 12th, or 13th between 8-12am. Was contacted by Teksavvy several days later that it would indeed be the 12th. Priced at $39.99 + $5.00 dry loop fee (does anyone have house phones anymore?)

The Bell tech called me just after 8am and let me know he was on his way. The install took approximately an hour and a half - I live in a brand new house and the builder had some funky wiring going on but the tech was an awesome guy - really nice and knew his stuff. No complaints at all there!

Hooked up and running shortly after (bought the SmartRG505n outright), anxious to check out the service I have been doing numerous speed tests and checking my connection stats; I have been at a consistent 25/10 at any time of day and am quite pleased with everything.

Overall happy with their services so far.

member for 13.6 years, 932 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello Scottie22,

Thank you for the review! I am happy that during the busy back to school season that there was no delay with your installation. This is wonderful to see. I am also very happy to hear that the technician took his time to ensure you were properly activated at your home.

Thank you for sharing that you are receiving the correct speeds at any time of day.

If you have any further questions or concerns we can always be found in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

Thank you again for your review and please keep us posted on your TekSavvy journey.
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

Review by R0B0B00GIE See Profile

• Location: Gloucester,ON
Good "Amazing customer service, great value, best bang for the buck, very fast and very reliable"
Bad "Nothing to really add here about teksavvy themselves, but Rogers was really slow to switch over during back to school season. "
Overall "I can't speak highly enough of them. We've had great service, and they have gone above and beyond to ensure our satisfaction"

We'd been tired of getting overcharged for small bandwidth caps at Rogers. This was the third time their "retention" had given us "deals". None of them even came close to what Teksavvy offered. We tried them anyway and still got burned. So we made the switch.

I'm not a big downloader. But when you have 4 game consoles that give you free games, and some of those run you 40 gigs, you need more than an 80 gig cap. Teksavvy gives us what we need.

The switch over from Rogers is the only problem we had. Rogers was ignoring requests for over 5 days at a time. So my initial gap of service was only because of them. After finally getting off their hands and doing their job, they disconnected me because someone "forgot" to put a tag on my line that said I was with Teksavvy. This seems to happen more often than coincidence would imply.

Despite all of this, Teksavvy was more than accommodating in providing us with an alternate means to have connectivity because for us it was also needed to work from home. Despite Roger's ineptitude and ridiculous slowness of response, we kept getting updates and help from the teksavvy team as they did all in their power to connect us and then repair the Rogers "blunder". When we made a case for the need to be connected right away, and Rogers was still ignoring the urgent requirement for connection, they offered us a wireless hub during the outage so that we didn't lose business.

I can't praise these guys enough.

Comments:

TSI Jonathan
join:2011-08-24
canada

Hello R0B0B00GIE,

Thank you for posting this review and sharing your experience with others! Glad you are happy with the service and happy to have you on board!

TSI Jon
Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Review by Vector_In See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Reliable and cheap"
Bad "Runs on Bell lines."
Overall "Reliable and Cheap"

·Bell Fibe
Great bunch of people. I left execulink do to increase of price and the cap. I also have my phone service with them. So far so good.

update!

I came back! Teksavvy again has proven to be a leader in great service and product! I have gone to 25Meg service! just love it! I was with Bell for a little while. Until they start increasing the cost.

Comments:

TSI Mat
join:2013-10-25

Response

Hello Vector_In,

Thank you for your kind words and the positive feedback. Should you have any questions or concerns in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Glad we where able to accommodate you and bring you back to the family.

Respectfully,

Mathew

Review by RandalIT See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Better pricing, more options"
Bad "Has to use Telus as the middle man"
Overall "Any company that give me more for less is aces in my book"

I have had Teksavvy for about 2 years now, during that time I have added a second line for MLPPP to get the extra speed/redundancy if a line were to stop working. Like tonight for example FYI I don't expect everyone to do this but as I wanted the extra download/upload it did make sense.

The support has been outstanding, although it can be frustrating sometimes as we have to play hot potato with Telus as they own the last mile. As for speeds they are always as advertised never slower.

The one thing I must say that I have yet to see any other company do, especially any of the big three *you know who you are* is when one month the price I was paying drops and they raise the cap from 75GB to 300GB. To me this is a company that knows what they are doing and are not out to just make money.

I would recommend Teksavvy every day of the week and twice on weekends.

member for 2.2 years, 385 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSILiz
join:2012-08-20

Response

Hi There!

Thanks for taking the time to write this and we appreciate the positive feedback. We want to keep you as a happy customer so please feel free to reach out to us anytime if you have any questions or concerns.

Have a great day!
Liz
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

"Not all those who wander are lost."

Review by JMJimmy See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Best communication & honesty I've had from an ISP"
Bad "Bigger means a harder time keeping quality up"
Overall "Worth it."

Update 3:

I was able to get a SmartRG and that has resolved most all of my issues. It has some unresolved issues itself but they are relatively minor. Overall support has been excellent for DSL and I am extremely happy with my service. Andre and Marc did everything they could to try to get sync-no-surf resolved before I switched modems - to the point of getting me on beta firmware from Bhell. Way above and beyond. Cable support for my mother-in-law's account is still sub-par, unfortunately. They've got a lot of work to do to get the Cable end up to the DSL support level.

Oh, and price went down - woot!

Update 2:

New cons: Unfortunately support quality is down. I recently called in for my mother-in-law on her Cable package and was not impressed with the level of knowledge the support rep had nor her ability to communicate. My current Stinger + Sagemcom SNS issue is still ongoing after a year.

New pros: Support wait times are way down from my last update, SmartRG modems now available (though doesn't do me much good as I can't get one on my rental package and can't afford the layout for a new one), possibility of unlimited data in exchange for reduced speed during prime time.

Update:

New Cons:

Growing pains. Support wait times are way up currently but likely to come down soon. Their success has not been without issues, however, they have not sacrificed overall quality for expediency.

They've also had some issues dealing with problems I've experienced - to their credit they put one of their technical leads on the problem who worked with a Bhell Repair Manager to try and solve the issue but both were stumped. It comes down to defective slam switches + bad firmware from Bhell so I can't fault TSI too much for that.

New Pros:

Price!!! I asked for cheaper, I got cheaper! $39.99 + ~$7(dryloop fee) for 25mbps/10mbps VDSL - a 19mbps/9.2mbps increase for the same price I was paying before.

More transparent and accessible than ever. Highly recommended.

________________________________________________________________

Cons:

Few... sales wasn't as informed as I would have liked them to be about the technical end, but by far more knowledgeable than Bell's tech support so kudos.
Install takes a few days longer than it should, but again, wholesaler issue - nothing can be done for the first 3 days it seems just because of Bell's crap.

Pros:

Everything else. Intelligent tech support that actually listen if there's an issue (no canned Q&A), fast response to everything, communicative, honest, and relatively inexpensive.

I would like a better price ($39.95+$4 for MLPPP + band charges + tax) but for unlimited bandwidth and throttle bypass it's worth it. It's also $15 cheaper than my previous Bell contract which was only 2mbps faster and capped + throttled.

member for 6.2 years, 918 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI ShawnS
join:2012-11-22

RE:No one better

Hello JMJimmy,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

It has been a constant battle with the wait times. We are definitely getting the wait times to come down by a large margin. We are still hiring more staff. In fact two new technical support teams have just begun their training. As soon as they complete their training we anticipate a great drop in wait times.

Thanks again for your feedback.

TSI Shawn
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

novatelus

join:2013-06-22

Re: RE:No one better

DELETED

Review by vyse2 See Profile

• Location: Montreal-Nord,QC
Good "Reliable internet service and good customer service"
Bad "No rewards for customer loyalty"
Overall "Good internet and customer service"

Have been a customer for a while, the internet service has been stable and speeds have been very consistent.

Tech/customer support has been great whenever I needed it. I especially like the Teksavvy Direct forums.

The unlimited packages could use some tweaking, the prices could be a bit lower.

Another thing teksavvy can work on are rewards for loyal customers. Something like ability to switch (one time) to a different plan for free if you have been a customer for 3 years or more would be nice.

Comments:

TSI Kris
join:2013-11-18

Hi Vyse2!

Thanks for your review! I'm glad to hear that you're happy with our service and our tech support, though we're always appreciative of any feedback offered. Pricing is always under a watchful eye to see if we can reduce costs, and this applies to costs related to upgrades too.

If you ever need anything, just like you noted, give us a shout in the Direct forum and we'll be right with you.

Thanks Vyse2! Best regards,

TSI Kris
JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23

Customer Loyalty Rewards

There are in fact customer loyalty rewards:

1) Referral program ($1 off/month per customer you refer as long as they remain with the service... I believe that's how it works or something close to it)

2) TSI customer giveaways - these run every few months usually, everything from pizza/movie passes to posters to underwear (yes, they gave away some TSI branded underwear )

3) Price reductions & plan improvements - when I started (for the 2nd time) with TSI in 2012, I was paying $72.59 I believe, now I'm paying $50.82. Plan cost went down, dry loop fee went down, I no longer needed MLPPP, speed went up for what I was paying, cap went up.

Review by crumbworks See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Amazing speeds, no monthly caps, and great transparent customer service"
Bad "Rare downtime is usually on Bell's fault. Speed upgrades were both bad experiences"
Overall "Overall, I'm very happy with TekSavvy"

·Bell Sympatico
April 2010:
Just switched from Bell -- it was an older account from around 2001 so it retained the unlimited bandwidth perk. However, it was over $60/month and kept going up (Bell's way to force people off the grandfathered plans), and Bell's customer service is AWFUL. I'd rather beat myself with my broken modem than deal with an outsourced Bell agent trying to "help me" replace it. Never again.

So now I have TekSavvy. I heard such good things

Initial Installation: A+

It could not have been better. They asked when my parents were planning on taking the Bell modem to their place, so they can coordinate when they will activate my connection. Since they had told Bell they weren't moving it for over 2 weeks, the TekSavvy representative that I spoke with said "Great! Since that is far enough away, you'll have your modem shipped by then, and you can go online without any service interruptions."

...and she was right. The morning it was set to be activated, I unhooked the Bell modem, hooked up the TekSavvy modem, and opened my browser. It asked me some simple questions about settings / username / password (all provided in a TekSavvy email I got 2 weeks prior) and I was online within 40 seconds. I was amazed, because Bell had previously SCREWED ME with stuff like this.

Stability: B+

Overall, it's an A. The only reason it doesn't get an A+ is because there are a few downtimes at weird hours (like 1am to 5am) and I am sometimes a night owl. Either way, it's rare. Since it's the same infastructure as Bell, I figured this would be the case -- while I dislike Bell as a whole, their stability was top notch. TekSavvy, same thing.

Update 09/2013: There have been blips here and there, but nothing substantial. Our old gateway was starting to die on us but it also faced heavy traffic for over 2 years, so I think it was just on its last legs. Since June 2013, we've had VDSL2, which requires a new gateway, and that has not had any issues at all.

Customer Service: A

They've been very nice to me every time I called, answering every question I had to the best of their ability. Calling people in Canada ALWAYS makes me happier. I hate outsourcing and have had some terrible experiences with it. TekSavvy is fantastic for keeping it local! PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE THAT!

The other reason I give it an A? Transparency. When there are DSL issues, I check the "network status" page and it mentions it right then and there... and on their forum here on DSLReports, among many other employees posting to inform us of the issue / progress, many of the replies are from the managers, VPs, and the CEO himself. What other company would have the CEO answer the customers directly?! I've always respected the hell out of this company.

Value: A

I went with Unlimited because my brother and I are very heavy users. Video podcasts, streaming services, cloud backup, etc -- we move a TON of data. I am very glad that TekSavvy offers an unlimited option in a market that otherwise has ridiculously small caps. Even better is the "we don't count upload" thing, which adds a great value to customers on the capped plans.

Update 06/2013: It's fantastic that TekSavvy has Unlimited tiers even for their fastest VDSL2 packages. I'm fine paying a premium to have it truly unlimited, given that this household uses far more than 300 GB per month. All in all, it still costs far less than their competitors, who haven't offered unlimited packages in ages.

Speed: A+

Update 2013: This section is being revised because since the time I originally wrote my review, I've upgraded my speed twice. From 5 Mbps ADSL... to 16/1 ADSL2+ FTTN.... to 25/10 VDSL2. The main reason for an A+ score: the TekSavvy reps (both over the phone and via direct forum) go the extra mile to make sure we get the speeds we pay for, in both directions.

Other/Misc: A+

I added this section to add 2 notes

1) When I initially called to set up my account with TekSavvy back in 2010, I was also switching my home phone from Bell to TekSavvy, and that was also very seamless. There was literally ZERO downtime for both services at any point during the transition.
2) There has never been one billing issue in the past 4.5 years -- the experience is enhanced when I don't have to deal with such issues.

UPDATE #1: Death of a Router
05/2010 - only a week or two into my TekSavvy service

The gateway they provided died. They are shipping out a replacement. Not a huge deal, but this put a slight damper on the early parts of my relationship with TekSavvy. It is likely a fluke.

UPDATE #2: Satisfactory Modem
03/2012 - coming up on 2 years with TekSavvy

After the gateway failure, the hardware (and the service) has had no issues since. As I suspected, it was just a faulty piece of hardware (which I didn't hold it against them... I know these things happen) and the replacement has been working flawlessly for nearly 2 years without dying. Given how heavily we hammer it with both LAN and WAN traffic, that proves it can withstand a barrage.

UPDATE #3: Service Upgrade Woes
05/2012 - a customer now for a little over 2 years

Two months ago, TekSavvy had a promotion to upgrade to a faster DSL package for free, which meant waiving the $95 upgrade fee (a promotion only offered because Bell was doing so -- Bell is the one that collects that fee). So we decided to upgrade from 5 Mbps to 16 Mbps service -- the fastest speed available without requiring new hardware.

Overall, the process could have been a LOT smoother. Let me explain...

To start, I didn't mind that it was a self-serve process online. That's actually cool. However, here's where it gets messy. Part of the online upgrade process involves selecting a date for the technician to come out, and the earliest date available was like 10 days later.

So I'm like "that sucks, but fine. I can wait the 10 days."

...time passes. A few days into the wait, I get an email from TekSavvy:

"Your up to 16.0 Megabit Residential DSL service is set to be tentatively activated on [X date] anywhere between the hours of 8am to Midnight. The first technician will arrive between 12pm and 5pm. A second technician will arrive between 5pm and 9pm. Someone must be home for both technicians."

First off:
Two separate technicians needed and such a large window? That's nuts. I figured by 2012, we'd be able to provide much shorter windows.

Secondly:
So I am waiting ALL day at my condo, and I am watching out my balcony like a hawk, because some of those Bell technicians make no effort at all. The building manager is rarely there to let people in, so if you aren't paying attention, they may leave. After waiting all day, I called TekSavvy late at night...

The gist of what was learned: the day selected from their self-serve upgrade tool is just a tentative "we'll try to accommodate" day... but then supposedly Bell is notified, they check their service schedule to see if that day works for them, and if it doesn't, they pick another day (of their choosing) and schedule that as the date of deployment, and then send out a finalized confirmation email.

They selected two days later, but lo and behold, they never emailed me to inform of that!! So I took a day off work, waited ALL day without leaving my suite, and no one was even going to arrive.

Thirdly:
Two more days passed, and this was the 'proper' technician day. So I wait and I wait, again watching to see if a truck pulls up to my building. But then I get a call from a TekSavvy service rep in the late afternoon, saying my speeds have been increased. So I tell him "oh? but no one even showed up..." and he was like "this is just a speed upgrade, right? not new service? yeah, no one needs to come out for that. we just have to open your profile and change your settings."

Are you kidding me?? Great, now I now have faster speeds... but if its just a setting in a system, why did I have to wait 10 days, then another 2 days, and take TWO days off work?!?! Why did I get emails telling me about all this technician stuff that turned out to be completely false?

Overall, I was not impressed with how that went down. If its as simple as a profile change, it should be automated. It should be: click "upgrade" online, it charges my credit card, and my speeds change effective my next bill cycle. Instead, I was faced with that ridiculous mess.

UPDATE #4: Another Service Upgrade, With More Issues
06/2013 - a customer now for over 3 years

TekSavvy had recently introduced new speed packages, while also dropping prices (which the CRTC influenced). Because of this, their call centres were flooded with activations and upgrades, and wait times were EXTREMELY long. So I did as they suggested, and submitted the upgrade request online via their self-serve portal. I submitted it on June 12th, to go from DSL 16/1, to VDSL2 25/10. It said the tentative tech visit would be on June 20 and that they will email me further details within 24-48 hours

I waited 4 days. No one emailed me, so I posted on their direct forum. I then got call from a TekSavvy agent later that day. She apologized for the delay, said they were very busy, and that she put the request in now. Not before when I submitted it, but just now over the phone. Basically, what I did online did nothing.

Since there was that delay, the June 20 tech visit was not available -- she said the 24th was the next available, and even that is still 'tentative'. She said they will call me when Bell has confirmed the date.

The new VDSL2 modem had already arrived, but still no confirmation call. On the 21st, I again reached out to them and asked what was going on. They said the order was rejected and they not sure why -- they said they would contact their vendor and call me back Monday morning with the details.

I asked on Monday evening why no one called me, they said they tried to call the vendor, but turns out they were closed for a Quebec holiday. So that got pushed to Tuesday. After contacting their vendor on Tuesday, they said another ISP is linked to my phone number (huh?) and after I told them there is only ONE tied to my line, they said they would contact Bell on 06/27 and find out what is going on.

Eventually, they replied to me on the forum saying that I had to contact Bell to get the other line removed from our phone number. I called Bell, but of course their inept outsourced agents had no idea what I was asking about. Growing ever frustrated, I contacted TekSavvy again, who gave me a number to call to reach a specific back-end Bell "specialization department". The TS agent gave me a bunch of tech jargon I had to relay to the Bell agent to get this thing going.

After I did all this, they were finally able to process the order. The technician came to my house several days later. He was very courteous and said everything was set to go, and all I had to do was wait for my speed profile change to go through on the back-end. He said if not changed by 5pm, to call tech support. I spoke to an agent at 6pm, he said it was still pending, and it may take until midnight. I spoke to another agent after midnight who said the work order has gone through (no longer pending), but in his own words, "it looks like it wasn't done right". He put in a ticket for them to fix that, which meant another 24-48 hour delay.

About 36 hours later, the speed was increased, but only the download was done. The upload was still 1 Mbps -- I spoke to TekSavvy, who put me on hold and spoke to 3 different Bell reps to resolve this. That TekSavvy agent said the proper upload speed should be set within 24 hours.

I checked that same time the next day, the upload was increased but only partially -- not to the 10 Mbps I was paying for. I contacted TS on their private forum on 07/05, they said they'd look into it on 07/08 (Monday) because Bell's department that handled that was closed until then. The agent also said "because you're getting CLOSE to the speeds you are supposed to get, they may not change it." (seems like the wrong thing to tell a customer)

Anyway.... finally on Monday afternoon, it was corrected. 25.1 Mbps down, 10.02 Mbps up

So it took from 06/12 until 07/08 (26 days) from when I submitted the order until I had the new proper speeds, plus I had to do a lot of legwork myself to call that back-end-server Bell thing to fix some issues that magically appeared on my phone line.

Conclusion [UPDATED 09/2014]:
Honestly, I'm very satisfied. Maybe parts of my review will have you think otherwise, but the two service upgrades were only a few weeks of madness. The rest of the time, it's been fast, stable, and error-free. I'm gonna give them a B+ overall because of the upgrades issues, and the fact a lot of the issues they can't fully diagnose because they're Bell issues. But it's all good. Definitely would recommend!

Comments:

RizzleQ
Cunningham's Law Enthusiast

join:2006-01-12
Windsor, ON

Clarification

First off let me say that I like this review in that it is very detailed and organized. Good job crumbworks.

However, there are a few things that I feel I need to address:

1. Not getting the Confirmation Email is a total failure with TekSavvy's Back End Processing. In addition, neither getting a call from them to confirm with you the dispatch date is another failure, albeit not as severe as this first mistake. Why neither of these things happened is a total mystery.

2. "...service is set to be tentatively activated on [X date]..." means just that. You took a day off work on a tentative date!? That's entirely your fault. I would have called or emailed TekSavvy a couple days after getting that email to ask, "When is this tentative date going to not be a tentative date anymore? I need to know when to take a day of work." Then, once you know it's confirmed, go ahead and take a day off work. On the flip side, the second day off work was totally legit... which brings me to #3.

3. No dispatch for FTTN 16.0?? That's just not proper. At the very least a Telecon technician should have stopped by to verify everything is all good with your inside wiring; this being an upgrade is irrelevant to that fact. I have no idea how or why it went down that way. Partly Bell and partly TekSavvy to blame here, presumably.

4. "...activated on [X date] anywhere between the hours of 8am to Midnight." does not mean a 16 hour technician window at all. That's the activation window meaning the new service will go active sometime between 8am and Midnight, regardless of a dispatch. The technician windows are clearly outlined in the next two sentences. In addition, those time-frames were incorrect in the earlier emails that were sent out. It's actually 12pm to 5pm then 5pm to 9pm; only a 9 hour window. But even if it was an 8am to 9pm time-frame, that's a 13 hour window, not 16. I can see how this might not be the clearest thing in the world, but still interpreted incorrectly by you.

So you failed on a couple things and TekSavvy (and by extension Bell) failed on a couple things. Just throwing in my 2 cents.
crumbworks

join:2006-12-19
North York, ON
·Bell Sympatico

Re: Clarification

Thanks for your comments Rizzle. I'm glad that you appreciate the breadth of my review.

1. I agree with you. I can't fathom why neither of these things happened.

2. Yes I know this was my fault, but from when I selected the date online until that specified date was over a week's time... I figured that someone would have called over a span of half a dozen business days to tell me if things were to change. While I was at fault, I did wait until the last minute to notify that I would not be working that day (and I didn't technically take a day off -- I just switched shifts with someone and worked on the weekend for them).

3. The only rationale I have for the lack of dispatch is that it's a relatively new building, finished building in late 2007. I've been living here since the day all of the electrical and fire safety precautions were finalized, and I was told by a few technicians that this building is wired up for the latest and greatest. Maybe TekSavvy/Bell is aware of this in some sort of database?

4. You are right. I checked the email again and it does say 12pm to 5pm, and then 5pm to 9pm. I'll amend my review. Also, going by the activation timeframe may not be fair, but in my defence, even two 4 or 5 hour windows is silly these days. I mean, if it was just one technician and a single 4-hour window, fine. I could've worked a different shift that same day and been there for that technician. But 12pm to 9pm erases the whole day. Even more wasteful when no one had to come out! Haha.

Thanks for your two cents. Anyone else is more than welcome to comment.

~ Chris

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello Crumbworks,

Thank you for the updated review. I am happy to hear you’re still enjoying the services you are receiving. I apologize for any delays/issues with your speed changes, I hope these have been resolved now for you. If not please contact us in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct so we can assist further.

Thank you again for the updated review! We appreciate it!

TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

Review by donkey See Profile

• Location: Montreal, QC
Good "I came back, the grass is NOT greener on the other side."
Bad "Nothing."
Overall "Zap the Cap makes my 300gig cap GONE!"

·Acanac
I have been with Teksavvy for a number of years now. I have never had to call them on the telephone, because they have their direct forum here at dslr.

Any issues, and when I say issues, have not broken my dsl connection with tek, have been trivial and more to the point of being stuck on a crappy lucent/stinger remote that both I and tek have no control over.

In closing, teksavvy has been great to me, their 300g cap with 2am to 8am grace period where it doesn't count (uploading doesn't count either for the entire month) I've easily stayed within my allotment for the month.

UPDATE: With Zap the CAP, I don't even care when I download, mind you my heavy downloads are scheduled for the 2-8am period. Sure my downloads are limited to 9 megabits per second during the times of 8pm to 12am, and I am perfectly comfortable with it.

Comments:

TSI Martin

Your Review

removed.

Hi,

Thanks for your review. We always appreciate a good word from our users.

I'm waiting for an answer concerning the ON vs QC pricing for you.

Martin

Re: Your Review

I had asked Marc about it in the past, he responded that he explained it in another thread, sadly I couldn't find it.

Montreal, QC
It has been a few weeks, thanks for the reply/answer?

I could get a faster telephone answer than this! (that's sarcasm because everyone waits hours)

Re: Your Review

Ok I take back that last comment, apparently rogers put a hockey stick in tesavvy's spokes and grinded their phone support to a halt.

Re: Your Review

Good bye Teksavvy, it's been fun, but your inability to specify or prove why you have to charge me $7 more a month than someone in Ontario has driven me out. Godspeed.
JB Webs you say? Sounds like a SCAM to me!

Chatham, ON
Glad to see you are still a happy camper! Enjoy!