TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by shopkins See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Excellent Price, Smooth Conversion, Faster Service"
Bad "Still waiting to find one"
Overall "Excellent everything. Lived up as advertised"

I was previously a Bell sympatico subscriber but due to unrelated reasons I decided to switch to another DSL provider. TekSavvy had been mentioned by friends as a reliable, fast and not overly expensive DSL provider. I had also done some research here on DSLreports.

I called to ask to sign up while still a Sympatico subscriber. The CSR told me that I needed to call back ~7days before my Sympatico service was canceled because calling too far ahead would not make coordination easy. So I canceled my sympatico (reason given: need to have a fixed IP without signing up for a $100/mo Business account) and called TekSavvy back a week before my planned cancellation date with Sympatico. Setup of the account was a breeze (I had already converted to a TekSavvy Home Phone account earlier so they used the information already on file) and in fact spent more time chatting with TSI James about video games while he was "processing" my new DSL account. 2 days before the official Sympactico disconnect I called TSI Tech Support to make sure all was OK and then started the process of testing the modem on the line. After being unable to set up my SpeedStream 6520 (not a supported modem by TSI) I called tech and got some help until it was determined that I was connecting to TekSavvy but user error (mine) had set up the bridge mode incorrectly. Once I was set up and connected I sent a PM to TSI Jason (who had helped me troubleshoot the modem) asking to be put on a faster line. Check my line speeds to see the results of asking them to work on my behalf: »/testhistory/1553727/334f2

Overall I have had no problems and service has been excellent. I wish many of my interactions with companies was this pleasant.

Update May 2009 - 1 year in: No problems at all. Still getting a 6016/800 profile (interleave) and speeds are always good. Fixed IP, MLPPP (for future line bonding) and all the excellent TSI staff is well worth staying with the.

Update Feb 27 2010 - Human nature wants me to find something to complain about. I am unable to do so unfortunately. I am still satisfied with my TSI.

Update July 2011 - The system wants me to update my review... Other than rare disconnects I keep forgetting that I am getting DSL from TSI. It is totally seamless. With potentially new higher speeds coming I am looking froward to the good service.

Update Feb 2012 - I have upgraded to the 16M package package, and the only goof up was on Bell's part (poor wiring of the POTS DSL splitter / filter; stayed on a 12M profile initially). TSI logged tickets and resolved the issues promptly and courteously. Still happy to have my money (internet & home phone) going to TSI.

Update Feb 2014 - I had to leave TSI after moving to a new city and in a new home that only had Fibre. Was always excellent service (DSL and customer). Sad to leave but I will be on the lookout!

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello Shopkins,

Thank you for the wonderful review. I am happy to see you used our service for many years with no issue. This is great to see. It is also lovely to see you had many interactions with many employees and all interactions were courteous and pleasant.

I am very sorry to hear that you have disconnected your TekSavvy service however I certainly do understand and apologize that we do not have the Fibre available are your new home. Please keep checking back with TekSavvy we are always adding new areas and new services. If we have Fibre in your area in the future we would be happy to give you all the information about the service.

Thank you again for this review.
TSI_Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

shopkins

join:2008-05-23
L4N8J7

Re: Review

Thanks. If I can make you guys my Long Distance provider I will stay on!

Review by TekSavvy123 See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
Good ""
Bad "Never connected service. Blamed Telus and me, the customer."
Overall "Avoid at all costs."

TekSavvy has themselves grown into a Korporation where the korporate culture is to blame the customer for everything.

In my case, I transferred my DSL internet service to TekSavvy, but something went wrong with the transfer. TekSavvy had a casual, indifferent, and nonchalant attitude towards trouble-shooting the problem and was more focused on shifting the blame to Telus and myself than resolving the problem. I cancelled my order two weeks after service was suppose to start and requested a full refund. After I cancelled my order, TekSavvy suddenly focus on trouble-shooting the problem. TekSavvy is also refusing to refund any money. All this and more is detailed in the email exchange below.

See the full story at »www.cece.ca/TekSavvy.pdf

Comments:

TSI DaveP
join:2013-07-12

Please Post

Please post your account information in the direct forum so I can have this investigated.

Dave P.
Director of Technical Support

TSI DaveP
join:2013-07-12

Contact

Hello Roy,

We will be in touch with your shortly, we have found your account information and will resolve this to your satisfaction.

Respectfully,
David P.
Director, Technical Support

Review by SimplePanda See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "The best Canadian ISP. Excellent value and great support."
Overall "If you want value, reliability, and performance this is your ISP."

Having used / subscribed to both Bell DSL (including FTTN) and Rogers Hi-Speed (DOCSIS 2.0 and 3.0) services in Toronto, I can honestly say that TekSavvy is really the best ISP one can use if their services are available to you.

Performance is always great and on the rare occasion that there are any issues, the TekSavvy staff are available to answer questions both here on dslreports.com and via their support lines. Staff is very responsive and, knowledge wise, is the best ISP support staff I've ever dealt with.

- Reasonable usage and speeds for reasonable amounts
- Reasonable overage policy
- IPv6 beta service
- Excellent peering to everywhere on the internet (8ms pings to google.ca)
- Netflix Super HD / OpenConnect

You can't go wrong!

UPDATE January 2014: After 2+ years on TekSavvy VDSL2, Rogers (my local cable company) offered me an awfully good deal to come back to Rogers Internet service. Comparing the basic technical offering (150 Mbps, 10Mbps), I took the deal. Once it was installed and verified that it was working correctly for a week or so I cancelled TekSavvy.

I have returned to TekSavvy 2 months later (March 2014). Rogers just isn't worth it any deal. Once again using 50/10 VDSL2 on TekSavvy. Bell, unfortunately, put me on a Stinger (vs. a 7330 ALU) this time, but the connection seems OK regardless.

TekSavvy: Lower latency. Native IPv6. VDSL2 modems that are fully stable and fully supported in bridge mode with no compromises. If you have problems with packet routing for a service you're using, just post a message on DSLReports and it's likely a TekSavvy rep. can get an adjustment made, routing wise. In short, it's hard to go wrong if you're technically capable.

Rogers: Wildly variable latency (jitter) during primetime (due to the nature of DOCSIS). No IPv6 support (tunnelled, but not supported) with no announced or remotely discernible plans to implement it. Latest modems (the CGN3 "Advanced" device) crash constantly in bridge mode, so forget about using your own router. Support is a nightmare if you have an issue that's clearly on the Rogers side of the network.

Very happy to be back. Was stupid to have ever left.

member for 10.5 years, 700 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

Re:review

Hello there SimplePanda,

We would like to thank you for being a long time customer. We certainly appreciate your review. Should you have any other questions please feel free to either post in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum or call an agent at 1-877-779-1575.

Review by jaysona See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Not much anymore, aside from providng staitc IPs and ranges - sadly"
Bad "They're just like Bell - frustrations and all!"
Overall "Been with them for almost 10 years, hoping be rid of them in less than 10 days!"

So I started of with Teksavvy in 2005 and was extremely impressed with the knowledge of the people I spoke with at the time. Some context for this: I had recently moved from San Francisco to Montreal in 2003 and was accustomed to dealing with very tech savvy people in the Bay Area, so getting that same service in Canada was over the top for me.

Fast forward 10 years, I come home to my Internet service off, call the customer care line, I am told service has been cancelled, my /29 has already been grabbed by some internal TekSavvy team - essentially leaving me high, dry and dark. Of course this could not have happened at a worse time, I was supposed to leave for a tip to Asia today - since postponed for two days, another $5k and change out of my pocket. So, I have spend the next 4 hours re-configuring my firewalls and rules, updating DNS servers and all the associated files, just to get basic services back up and functional.

Root cause of this cluster eff? Good question, my suspicions are a combination of lack of knowledge/poor training, incompetence, negligence and just a general lack of caring about the customer - we're just a number now - seen no differently than how Bell, Telus, Rogers, Shaw, etc view their customers.

What lead to this? Well, that's pretty easy to see - and is what is really sad about this whole affair as well, as you'll see in the storyline below.

Since 2008 I had had two DSL circuits bonded together with MLPPP - first sign of trouble brewing is when the person I was talking to on the phone had no idea about MLPPP - and I was looking for faster upload speeds. Since 2008 FTTN has been deployed in my area and I am able to get some significantly faster rates, so why not? Added to the mix is that I have to places I live at, one in Montreal and one in Toronto, I decided to order the same service, so far so good, the person taking the order even stressed several times they were making notes not to cancel any of the current services until the new service was installed and up and running properly - meaning for a few days I would have double acounts - again no biggie to ensure a proper and smooth transition.

A couple of days later I get the notification that the new modems are being shipped via Canada Post - this is a problem, I have no gov't ID for my Montreal address - which is where the modems were being shipped. So, again pony up more cash - $225 - to have someone stay at my place to receive the modems. True to form - typical lazy assed gov't worker didn't even bother ringing the bell, just dropped the cards in the box.

So now I'm stuck, unable to pick up the packages, the people at the drugstore have given me and my friends a serious hassle in the past when trying to pick up packages that I have authorized them to pick up for me on my behalf.

So instead of enduring another fruitless battle with dumb assed Jean-Coutu clerks I decide to cancel the upgrade order, wait for another 3 weeks until I am settle back in Toronto and place a new order - easy breazy, right? I wish, I explained the situation to the customer service rep I spoke with, was told there should be no problem and that my current service will remain unaffected until I make my new order. I hang up, feeling fine, but a little bummed that I'll have to wait for another ~4 weeks for my faster service - but hey, what's another 4 weeks? Well, sadly my service didn't even stay up for another 4 days.

It's clear that several balls were dropped in the internal process, there appears to be very poor communication between teams, and no follow-up or customer engagement at all.

I find it very hard to believe that there is not one person within TekSavvy who would have wanted to know why someone who has been a customer for close to 10 years, has had accounts in multiple cities and spent up to $165/mo for service.

Seriously? No one was even the slightest bit curious? I guess that's what happens when the customer base reaches a level such that customers coming and going is not longer a business concern. Kudos to you TekSavvy - you've made into the shallow end of the big pool, but you're no longer worthy of the name you bear.

Comments:

Calero27

join:2014-01-13

Line Stats

Looking at your SNR and Sync rate you should be able to get higher than 3mb
jaysona

join:2000-03-22
Toronto, ON

Re: Line Stats

This is a really old review, the data rate available in 2005 was 3mb, today it is closer to 6mb.

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

2 edits

Hello Jaysona,

Thank you for this updated review. This sounds like a terrible experience indeed and we would most certainly like to review your account to see what has happened. I have attempted to locate your account with your handle however you are not tagged in our systems. Can you please message us in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct with your account information so we can investigate this further and see what has happened?

Tsi-ashleigh
jaysona

join:2000-03-22
Toronto, ON

Re: Review

possibly because you forgot the "y" in my name?

Attention to detail - very important - that's what help to separate those that succeed from those that fail. *sigh*

TSI Marc
join:2006-06-23

Re: Review

I'm sure interested. I think you're dead wrong on caring. There's a ton of it. At 500 employees though, we have to get the right people on the job. Your review pisses me off. Full stop. Caring has nothing to do with this. I know what you're looking for, I was probably the one who configured your IP back in the day, and I know (surely you know also) that it's not possible to have that level of expertise for each and every employee at this size. We need to find a way to get you directly to a special team that you can talk turkey to. I have yet to find a way to do that, without creating a situation where everybody wants that special team... Feel free to PM me if you care to discuss this further. It's not as simple as it seems. I've been trying to find simple ways to deal with this for a few years now.

If you had an old IP, we have been trying to cycle them out for a long time. Nothing nefarious.

I will be sure to chase this down.
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Review by nanook See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "Works as advertised. Instant access if you already have DSL service."
Bad "None. If you want to read about Bad stuff go to the Bhell Internet ratings"
Overall "BettER than Bhell for 2/3 the price!"

Works as advertised. Instant access if you already have DSL service. No caps. No throttling. No bullshit. Just bettER service than Bell for 2/3 the price!

Updated 06Oct08: After almost a year with TekSavvy all I can add is that I am just as delighted with my decision today as I was when I made the switch from Bell. In the meantime I have migrated several family members from Bell to TSI and "encouraged" countless others to do likewise.

Updated 12Feb11: Still a very, very satisfied customer and still recommending to everyone I know who's still on Bhell to switch pronto.

Updated 12Apr13: Recently upgraded from 6/0.08 GAS to 15/1 FTTN. Upgrade went smoothly on the date promised. No downtime other than to reboot the modem. And the cost went down $2/month. What's not to like?

Updated 17Mar14: Nothing new to report other than the line has been rock solid.

member for 6.3 years, 1961 visits, last login: 3 days ago

Comments:

TSI Andre

Sweet!

Hi Nanook!

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide an update to your review.

We certainly appreciate the feedback and your continued patronage.

Cheers,

Andre
Director of Service Delivery

TekSavvy Website | TekSavvy Blog

RE: update 17Mar14

Hello nanook,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a great update!!
Glad to hear that everything is rock solid, as it should be .

If you ever require awesome customer support please send us a message in the »TekSavvy Direct forum or give us a call at 1-877-779-1575.

Sincerely,

Review by NCRGuy See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Great service, decent speed. "
Bad "None really. "
Overall "Glad I made the change. "

Finally got tired of paying the usurious fees charged by Bell and made the switch to TekSavvy. Very happy, and may upgrade my package to a faster speed.

member for 6.1 years, 3568 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Kris
join:2013-11-18

Hello NCRGuy,

We are delighted to hear you are happy with your new services! Please feel free to reach out to us any time if you need assistance with the upgrade or have any other questions.

Regards,
Reanne

Review by RizzleQ See Profile

• Location: Windsor,ON
Good "Great service at a great price"
Overall "Totally worth it"

·TekSavvy Cable
»Review of TekSavvy Cable by RizzleQ briefly describes events leading up to my switch to TekSavvy DSL and other events much later.

I ordered TekSavvy Dry-Loop 6meg DSL back on Jan 4th, 2012 over the phone with Brent and selected my activation date as Jan 13th. Brent was extremely helpful and detailed as he addressed and answered any concerns and questions I had. The requirement to be home from 8am to 5pm was fairly standard so I chose someday the next week I had off from work. I got a verification email the very same day, which I confirmed immediately to get the ball rolling. This email contained all the details I could ever need like pricing breakdown, tentative dates, possible additional costs, PPPoE and email credentials; good stuff.

Sometime shortly after this I realized I had made a shift trade at work for that week that I forgot about when selecting the activation date. It would have left me with working on Jan 13th and have Jan 12th off. I called TekSavvy as soon as I realized this and simply asked that they change the activation date to Jan 12th as that date was still over five business days away. After being thrown on a quick hold, Bill tells me this request has been placed. To be honest, the confidence in his voice as he told me this was… lacking to some extent, but this was a very simple request so I thought nothing of it. What could go wrong, right?

A couple days later I get an email letting me know my activation date was confirmed for Jan 13th... wait... what? I was annoyed, to say the least, when I found out from Linda that nothing actually changed with my order on that call that I placed only days before. She assured me very confidently that she sent off the request for sure this time. Luckily there was still enough time to make that happen. I waited at most one more day to delightfully hear the activation date was confirmed for Jan 12th. Now, all was well in the world.

Jan 12th rolls along and I get a phone call around 9am from someone asking me if I have a dry-loop DSL installation slated for the day. I confirm this as I look out my window to notice this person is a Bell tech sitting with another Bell tech in a Bell van in front of my house. The tech was unsure if he needed to do anything as he said he saw no NID attached to the side of my house, only the buried service wire coming out of the ground, run along my house for about 10 meters and go straight through the wall. I state there is no NID or even a testable jack inside or outside for me to confirm sync is active on my line.

I let both of them in my house and describe my wiring setup as we proceeded to the basement. We then met with the mess of telecom wires next to my electrical panel. One of the guys immediately determines what needs to be done, goes back to his van to get a bunch of stuff. I specifically asked that they don’t hook up the DSL to my existing home telephone wiring since there’s VOIP on there. He seemed fine with doing that, so about 25 minutes of work later and he’s done setting up a new wiring block with new wiring to a new isolated phone jack. He does a quick ANAC check on the line and says I’m all good to go once hearing my dry-loop number on his phone. As he starts packing up his tools, I plug in my preconfigured TP-Link DSL modem which gets sync and authenticates with TekSavvy’s RADIUS server fairly quickly. I was able to confirm the modem was getting a full 6016/800 sync rate and speed tests showed the associated 5.4 Mbps download/0.65 Mbps upload speed before the Bell techs left. I was pleased with their professionalism and neat setup of the dedicated line that I asked for.

In June of 2012, TekSavvy rolled out their IPv6 BETA program as part of the World IPv6 Launch (»www.worldipv6launch.org) that I happily jumped on as soon as they announced it. TSI Martin replied to my request with all the details I would need to set that up. I got some huge IPv6 subnets tied to their own unique DSL login that worked for me on the first try. Way to be, TekSavvy.

Now, let’s fast forward to mid-January 2013. I had been enjoying my DSL which was performing perfectly for a full year; no drops in speeds or connectivity at all. It was around this time that the weirdest slow speeds issue hit a bunch of people in the Windsor area. It was characterized by modems getting full synchronization, yet there were sporadic slow speeds at all times of the day. Most of the time my whole household had under 1 Mbps to share; it was brutal. I knew a few people in this region with tickets opened that dragged on for weeks. That was something called a “pattern match” slow speeds issue. It was pretty much as low priority as it gets considering it was a “service impairment” issue versus an “out of service” issue (on legacy DSL in a not so highly populated area no less). We had Internet connectivity at least when other people didn’t, so that’s kind of fair I guess. It was one of those “it’ll get fixed when it gets fixed” type of issues.

Around that same time there were talks about TekSavvy Cable coming to all areas that Cogeco services. This was enough to keep me hanging in there with that unpredictably slow DSL. I finally got hooked up with Cable in March of that year. I decided to keep my DSL line activated even though I had a considerably faster, perfectly working cable connection. To balance out the load, heavy users of the house use the cable, and everyone else uses the DSL. It’s a nice setup. The DSL speeds returned sometime around this time as well and seems to be fine according to those users in my house.

Overall, from the order date until today, the TekSavvy DSL experience has been mostly a positive one. The long stretches of great service can’t be overshadowed by any negative moments. You’ve got a happy TekSavvy DSL customer here for over two years.

member for 8.2 years, 779 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Kris
join:2013-11-18

Hello RizzleQ,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! It's sounds like quite a journey. We are most definitely delighted to hear you are happy with the services overall.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if there is ever anything we can help with!

Cheers,
Reanne

Review by lyran See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "It's cheap"
Bad "It's incredibly unreliable, and their tech support is not helping"
Overall "I'd avoid them. Suck it up and pay more for proper service"

I've had TekSavvy in my current location for three years. For the past several months, however, connectivity has been awful. I've had the Netflix problems as mentioned by others in the forums, but they're more general than that, images missing from many popular sites, and still having Netflix problems. Ping and trace route times are as good as one could hope, yet web browsing is intermittent at best.

TekSavvy has been extremely unresponsive and unwilling to go up the chain after we'd eliminated every possibility a problem in my home. I'm starting to investigate other carriers for a switch.

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Thanks for you review

Hello,

I'm terribly sorry to hear you have been having these issues. We did have some issues reported on the public forum about Netflix issues, but these have been fixed. As for the other issues you have mentioned, we haven't had any of these types or reports on a big scale. Would you please post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum so we may be able to take a closer look at your situation.

Thanks & Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Call

Hey there,

We believe to have found your account. We are having a Supervisor call you to address your concerns.

Regards,

Andre

Chatham, ON

Update

How did your call go?

Review by awto See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Bad "signal on and off for two years"
Overall "you can't rely on Bell"

I have had Tek Savvy DSL for 2 years. Before that I was using Bell Canada. When I use Bell Canada, the signal was on and off every day. I saw the commercial, so I switched to Tek Savvy. However, he signal from Tek Savvy has been the same, on and off since. I have called for the service and they sent the bill to ask Bell Canada to fix the problem for many times. After "fixed" the line, it was very good and smooth for only one month. Every day around some specific times such as 9pm, 5pm and 9pm. The internet gets on and off lasting for an hour, sometimes even longer. But the rest of the day are great. Tek Savvy can't figure out why, and the Bell Canada seems not care either. Are those so called "rush hour", when most people connect the internet making my DSL interruption? After these two years, the problem never really solved. Bell Canada instead of fixing my line, the called me to switch back to Bell.... What a joke. I am really tired of checking my home line all the time when I called for help and nothing really improved. By the way, when I am typing this message, the DSL has disconnected 3 times.

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

Re:review

Hello There,

Sorry to hear of the connectivity issues you have encountered. We can look into this for you.

Can you please post a thread in our »TekSavvy Direct forum so that we can review what has happened? We would like to get to the bottom of the issue.

Sincerely,

Review by Digita See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "Wonderful Service/ No issues "
Overall "Love it !"

I have had DSL 6mbps service for the past few years, aside from very minor issues (having to reset/ re-configure modems) there have been no real issues.
Everything went smoothly with moves/ installs.

Support has always been helpful. Service has always been consistent with my package.
Techs that were sent out for installs always showed.

Used a Speedtouch 516 purchased from Teksavvy for the first couple years, it was easy to set up.

Comments:

TSIElizabeth
join:2012-08-20

Response

Woohoo! This is always great to see. We appreciate all feedback and appreciate you taking the time to let us know this- it's great motivation to keep this kind of experience not just for you but for all customers.

Thanks again and feel free to reach out to us anytime,
Liz