TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by Mark777 See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Bad "Several Days of No Business Email"

I have 3 phone lines 15/10 FTTN and business website hosting with Teksavvy.

My business has not had email for DAYS. Business support shuts down from 8pm to 8am and NOTHING seems to get worked on during that time.

If YOU are thinking of using Teksavvy for business hosting, do yourself a favour and THINK AGAIN!

Comments:

TSI Mat
join:2013-10-25

Hi Mark777,

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your service. That being said, I directly contacted the business department manager in regards to this issue. They have informed me that the email issue has been fixed. Can you confirm this?

Should you require any further information or require assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Respectfully,

Mathew. H

Review by Boulevardier See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "won't have a chance to find out - I had to cancel before DSL was installed"
Bad "Terrible Installation process"

I'll do this in point form
- We ordered dry loop DSL service from TEKSAVVY and picked 3 possible installation dates from THEIR LIST of available time slots - the 5-9 pm slot on 3 consecutive days were listed
- they confirmed the first date but they listed 8am to 5pm instead of our requested 5 to 9pm
- we told them no one will be there at the 8-5 time but they offered to book a 5 to 9pm slot in 2 weeks time
- we wanted something quicker so instead we agreed to a 8am to 5pm installation in shorter time frame - in a week, my wife was willing to take the entire day to wait for the "cable guy"
- the installation day was today, I reconfirmed with Teksavvy this morning to make sure we were still good for the installation and was told everything is looking perfect, I verified they had our cell numbers in case they needed to contact us
- my wife took the day off and drove 100km to be present
- by 5pm the installer was a no show - there was no knock on door and no call to any of the 2 cell phone #'s we gave them
-I chatted with support at 5:01pm and they asked us to plug in the modem to see if the DSL light was on, in case the installer secretly installed something, his notes for the day never mentioned this installation
-DSL light was NOT on
-they said, in that case the installation did NOT happen and I would have to re-book on another day
-I was seething at this point and asked to be escalated to a supervisor
-supervisor called back and said installer had left for the day and offered to re-book in a week at 8-5pm, we said we're not home then (is this sounding repetitive?)
-at this point I was ready to cancel everything to do with TEKSAVVY
-the chat support rep said she'd be happy to cancel everything but she would charge me for the installation because I had cancelled the installation plus I'd be charged a restocking fee for the modem which I don't need anymore
-I said I'm not paying because the guy failed to show as promised between 8 to 5pm
-she now introduced a new time which was never mentioned before .. 9pm
-the tech guy has until 9pm to do the installation and I was cancelling before that
-I then said well it's almost 9, now what?
-she now introduced another previously unmentioned time to me - midnight
- apparently Bell has until midnight to "activate" the dry loop DSL card and if I wish to cancel before this I am doing this of my own accord against their advice and would be charged for the installation and the restocking fee
-at this point I had enough of them, cancelled everything and signed up with Cogeco
-we'll see if they're any better in due time

The Teksavvy installation business practices are terrible.

Comments:

TSI ShawnS
join:2012-11-22

Re:Review

Hello Boulevardier,

Thank you for sharing your experience,
I'm sorry that today's installation did not go well for you. We would like to have a look at the account in question and investigate further.

Could you please post in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum?

We look forward to your direct post.

Warm regards,
Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

tokhy

@69.165.251.x

Re:Review

Hi I have Internet from teksavvy I have so many problems with it.i don't what to do .when though I pay 72 dollar.

Bob637373737

@184.151.37.x

exact same thing just happened to me!

teksavvy confirmed my net to be working after having to reschedule 3 appointments to get a tech in after 3 weeks of waiting and when they finally "activate" the internet, I still have no dsl in my appartment. worst customer service ive ever seen and I never got refunded my first month of internet and activation fee that never actually happened. just robbery to be paying for a service that im not recieving. im wondering how the bbb would deal with a situation such as this?

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24
Chatham, ON

Re: exact same thing just happened to me!

Hello Bob637373737 and Tokhy

Thank you for the comments. I would be more than happy to look into both of your accounts and investigate what has happened so we can have a positive solution for both of you.

Would you both be able to post in our Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct with your account information so we can assist you both further please?

If you have any further questions please let us know.

Regards,
TSI-Ashleigh
flysquirrel

join:2010-05-26
North York, ON

Problem of Teksavvy or any other 3 rd party reseller

Since they are depending on Bell and Rogers to do the last mile installation, they can easily be screwed by Rogers or Bell. As all of us know, Rogers and Bell suck and are incompetent.
For the dry loop, all Bell need to do is to flip the switch at their office. However, my appointment for the installation is schedule for 2 weeks later. I understand Bell would need to send a technician, who is new grad and have no idea what he is doing and what modem would work for VDSL (He is pointing at my Sagemcom 2864 and saying it is not a Bell modem.) to make the $50, can they not just activate the line and let me do their work and make the $50 for doing nothing?

Review by ftp1020 See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Canadian, and not a multinational"
Bad "Robotic tech support, bad scripts"
Overall "Definitely sticking with them"

6th Year Update

I've had cause to recently use tech support in the Direct Forum. The person who responded pasted 148 lines of text into the post, and it contained mostly unnecessary and unrelated tests to perform. They would not read the information I provided in the opening post, and said they could not help unless ALL these unnecessary tests were performed. A Senior person jumped into the thread and rescued it before it derailed completely, so three stars instead of the 1 it deserves. That's the most robotic tech support I've ever experienced, and very surprised it came from Teksavvy. They should consider this to be an official "harrumph".

5th Year Update

I've deleted all the old comments because 5 years later, TSI isn't the little indie they once were. That sounds bad, but please read on.

Over the last five years, TSI went from mostly offering 5/.6 DSL (and dialup) service in Ontario to now presenting some kind of footprint in every incumbent's area. For a long period during that time, the emphasis was on Rogers TPIA links and that meant explosive growth in TPIA cable customers. That growth, unfortunately, led to lots of legitimate complaints and also meant the DSLR TSI forum was overrun with oversold POI and other complaints. When I first signed up, a phone call to the helpline was answered in 2 rings - after TPIA, make that 2 hours!

It took a long time to all settle down, but a more professional TSI emerged. There's been a noticeable uptick in TSI staff participation in the forums over the last year, and Marc is back with his unique perspectives on pricing, the CRTC, and just being an indie ISP.

On the CRTC and other regulatory fronts, I have to give full credit to Teksavvy for trying harder than anyone else to crack open the cosy market the telco/cableco duopoly have created for themselves at our expense. Without TSI stirring the pot in Ottawa, we'd all be paying double the price for half the bandwidth. I'm guessing TSI's now-larger customer footprint was helpful during those hearings. As for the Voltage/Canipre lawsuits, TSI acted within my hopes & expectations.

There's been other competitors emerge, especially now with Aggregated POI ruling the cable interconnect roost - including Start.ca in my own Cogeco cable area. But cost of internet services should be only one factor, and looking at the others (CRTC fights, transparency, how they react to a "my bad" situation) and it made no sense to leave, so here I am, still on ("legacy", LOL) 5/.6 ADSL1.

I was pretty shocked (pleasantly) by the low ADSL2/VDSL proposed pricing, recently revealed by Marc. I'm almost certain to switch, and I'll update this review a month or two after that's happened. Until then, I'm leaving the Install Co-ord and Pre-Sales at 5 out 5. I haven't called tech support since guys like TSI Paul were answering the phones, so no rating.

member for 7.8 years, 2330 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Danielle
join:2012-05-31

re: Your Review

Thanks so much for keeping your review current and updated. I'm glad you're happy with the increased presence on the forums and have noticed the difference.

Please keep us updated if you decide to change your package and let us know how things are going.

Danielle
TSI Danielle
Social Media Relations
Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Thanks for the update

We understand times have changed. The requested information the agent requested is to see what is required in regards to the direction taken in resolving issues.

That said, we do appreciate you taking the time to update us. We always appreciate feedback & we are happy to have you as a loyal customer of our for all these years.

Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyBuzz ; @TekSavvyNetwork ; @TekSavvyCSR

SadNewCX

@198.96.82.x

not even set up yet

up until now I heard and saw good things from tech savvy but i recently went over to tech savvy and the price i was quoted 4 weeks ago has changed and it is now $10 more for half the bandwidth but still not a terrible deal. So I sign up and they give me my install dates ( at most according to our conversation ) I have to wait 7 days …. Nope they change it to 13 days later … I hope that the service is better than this from here on

Review by bryanviper See Profile

• Location: Toronto, CAN
Good "Great ISP in every way"
Bad "Not much...."
Overall "Worth the money great support, great people, Great isp"

Great Isp never had any problems, worth ever penny! Now only paying $26.50/month with taxx after referrals =)

member for 12.1 years, 3053 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Martin

Thanks for the review!

Keep them referrals coming! It's only going to help you down the line!

bryanviper

join:2002-10-12
Toronto, CAN

Re: Thanks for the review!

Another $2 discount should be applied to my account soon

Review by moofo See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Geek Friendly, easy to talk to tech support, No port blocking"
Bad "None I can think of"
Overall "The best ISP you can find using DSL"

I'm with Teksavvy since 2002, back in the time they used to resell "iStop". In fact my customer number is below 40 !

I ran servers in my basement with them on a regular 3000/800 DSL line until the end of 2009. I had a 5 address subnet assigned and they went as far as setting reverse dns on them so my mail server would receive and send mail properly. If I remember well, my subnet was like 15 $ a month. in 2004, I switched to a Naked DSL. At the end of 2009. I stopped hosting my servers at my place for various reasons and switched my line to a single static IP, which was well enough for my needs. With the years upgrades brought my line to 6000/800.

I had some problems with the connectivity. However, they were either Bell's or my modem's fault as I went through a modem a year at one point (Don't ask). I never bought my equipment through teksavvy so I don't know. Through the years I've been using a mixture of Thompson, GVC, and now Cisco DSL/network gear and I had no problem configuring them for teksavvy.

I appreciate the fact that you call there and talk to a human being upfront.

I run many voip phones over my dsl line and it works perfectly. I have the bandwith I'm paying for and the caps are generous.

UPDATE July 29 2010...

I decided to leave as I'm just tired to deal with problems with Bell. Their tech support is very good however, for the last two tickets I had opened, I didn't get the kind of frequent feedback I like.

I was having a weird issue of packet loss which got somehow lost by tech support.

Too bad guys... I might be back one day.

I totally understand the battles they are doing and I support them in this, but in the end, I want a working connection.

Update September 18 2014

I'm a teksavvy customer again since the end of 2012. It's smooth sailing and I hardly had to call tech support. Speed is awesome as well as reliability.

It's good to be back !

Comments:

TSI Martin

Thanks for the updates

Glad to see/hear you are enjoying your services with Teksavvy. Let us know if you ever has questions, we'll gladly answer them.

Review by Kboylen See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Cheap, they say sorry alot"
Bad "Anything involving a technician takes forever and is painful "
Overall "Tech support is polite, but can't seem to get anything done"

I've been with Teksavvy for a long time. I've made it through initial setup and one move. Both went terribly. Now I want to upgrade my speed and again it's not looking good.

For example I work 15 minutes away from my work. So a simple phone call when the technician is about to arrive should be a simple thing, but they can't do it. Instead I'm supposed to take an entire day off work if the off chance (in my experience 1/4) that the technician actually shows up. I just started a new job, so this isn't happening. Even if I could do weekends (I can't because the building manager isn't around) I wouldn't want to waste an entire day at home, waiting for nobody. I doubt Teksavvy could even get weekend appointments.

I'm basically stuck with this package. I am actually not able to pay them more money because there service is so bad.

Comments:

TSI Jonathan
join:2011-08-24
canada

Hi Kboylen,

I'm sorry to read about your previous experiences with us and thank you for taking the time to post a review. There has been quite a few changes made by our vendor regarding required tech visits. Some of the services now have time frames for DSL which are 8-12, 12-5 and 5-9. They also do Saturday appointments now which are all day appointments.

There may be some way that we could arrange to have your building management's contact information so that they can give the tech access to complete the upgrade.
The things you described here are things that are set out by our vendor that are out of our control. The technicians not showing up for example is one one of those that we are currently working on with our vendor to ensure that it improves.

Feel free to post in the direct forum so that we can look into things further with you and answer any additional questions you may have. We're always happy to help!

Cheers,

Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Review by Scottie22 See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Fast, Friendly Service, Speeds are top knotch."
Bad "None!"
Overall "Can't possibly go wrong."

Ordered with 25/10 VDSL2 package on approximately the 29th of August and was promised an install date of either September 11th, 12th, or 13th between 8-12am. Was contacted by Teksavvy several days later that it would indeed be the 12th. Priced at $39.99 + $5.00 dry loop fee (does anyone have house phones anymore?)

The Bell tech called me just after 8am and let me know he was on his way. The install took approximately an hour and a half - I live in a brand new house and the builder had some funky wiring going on but the tech was an awesome guy - really nice and knew his stuff. No complaints at all there!

Hooked up and running shortly after (bought the SmartRG505n outright), anxious to check out the service I have been doing numerous speed tests and checking my connection stats; I have been at a consistent 25/10 at any time of day and am quite pleased with everything.

Overall happy with their services so far.

member for 13.7 years, 951 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello Scottie22,

Thank you for the review! I am happy that during the busy back to school season that there was no delay with your installation. This is wonderful to see. I am also very happy to hear that the technician took his time to ensure you were properly activated at your home.

Thank you for sharing that you are receiving the correct speeds at any time of day.

If you have any further questions or concerns we can always be found in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

Thank you again for your review and please keep us posted on your TekSavvy journey.
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

Review by R0B0B00GIE See Profile

• Location: Gloucester,ON
Good "Amazing customer service, great value, best bang for the buck, very fast and very reliable"
Bad "Nothing to really add here about teksavvy themselves, but Rogers was really slow to switch over during back to school season. "
Overall "I can't speak highly enough of them. We've had great service, and they have gone above and beyond to ensure our satisfaction"

We'd been tired of getting overcharged for small bandwidth caps at Rogers. This was the third time their "retention" had given us "deals". None of them even came close to what Teksavvy offered. We tried them anyway and still got burned. So we made the switch.

I'm not a big downloader. But when you have 4 game consoles that give you free games, and some of those run you 40 gigs, you need more than an 80 gig cap. Teksavvy gives us what we need.

The switch over from Rogers is the only problem we had. Rogers was ignoring requests for over 5 days at a time. So my initial gap of service was only because of them. After finally getting off their hands and doing their job, they disconnected me because someone "forgot" to put a tag on my line that said I was with Teksavvy. This seems to happen more often than coincidence would imply.

Despite all of this, Teksavvy was more than accommodating in providing us with an alternate means to have connectivity because for us it was also needed to work from home. Despite Roger's ineptitude and ridiculous slowness of response, we kept getting updates and help from the teksavvy team as they did all in their power to connect us and then repair the Rogers "blunder". When we made a case for the need to be connected right away, and Rogers was still ignoring the urgent requirement for connection, they offered us a wireless hub during the outage so that we didn't lose business.

I can't praise these guys enough.

Comments:

TSI Jonathan
join:2011-08-24
canada

Hello R0B0B00GIE,

Thank you for posting this review and sharing your experience with others! Glad you are happy with the service and happy to have you on board!

Cheers,

TSI Jon
Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Review by Vector_In See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Reliable and cheap"
Bad "Runs on Bell lines."
Overall "Reliable and Cheap"

·Bell Fibe
Great bunch of people. I left execulink do to increase of price and the cap. I also have my phone service with them. So far so good.

update!

I came back! Teksavvy again has proven to be a leader in great service and product! I have gone to 25Meg service! just love it! I was with Bell for a little while. Until they start increasing the cost.

Comments:

TSI Mat
join:2013-10-25

Response

Hello Vector_In,

Thank you for your kind words and the positive feedback. Should you have any questions or concerns in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Glad we where able to accommodate you and bring you back to the family.

Respectfully,

Mathew

Review by RandalIT See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Better pricing, more options"
Bad "Has to use Telus as the middle man"
Overall "Any company that give me more for less is aces in my book"

I have had Teksavvy for about 2 years now, during that time I have added a second line for MLPPP to get the extra speed/redundancy if a line were to stop working. Like tonight for example FYI I don't expect everyone to do this but as I wanted the extra download/upload it did make sense.

The support has been outstanding, although it can be frustrating sometimes as we have to play hot potato with Telus as they own the last mile. As for speeds they are always as advertised never slower.

The one thing I must say that I have yet to see any other company do, especially any of the big three *you know who you are* is when one month the price I was paying drops and they raise the cap from 75GB to 300GB. To me this is a company that knows what they are doing and are not out to just make money.

I would recommend Teksavvy every day of the week and twice on weekends.

member for 2.3 years, 413 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSILiz
join:2012-08-20

Response

Hi There!

Thanks for taking the time to write this and we appreciate the positive feedback. We want to keep you as a happy customer so please feel free to reach out to us anytime if you have any questions or concerns.

Have a great day!
Liz
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

"Not all those who wander are lost."