TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by heyyahblah See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Excellent service, knowledgeable support staff, installed on time, great price, good reliability"
Overall "Greatest ISP for xDSL Services - Cable not so reliable. (Don't recommend) But I would recommend xDSL 100%"

Hey,

Well, I have been a member on DSL REPORTS for a long time now, and I figured I owe it to leave a review about my experiences with Teksavvy ISP.

I was first made aware of Teksavvy ISP in 2008 from a friend that was currently using their ADSL services. At that time I was a Rogers cable customer since 2000 for internet, and service was always fine and reliable with them. But what made ROGERS lose my business was what they pulled in 2008. I was on a 7/512k package, Rogers decided to increase my internet price & modem rental fee and cap my internet at 60GB. I heard that Teksavvy was offering 5/800 ADSL service with a 200GB cap (I can't remember now) for $17 less/month then my current cable internet service at that time. So I said to myself "hey I'll give it a try" ... and thus the TSI story begins.

Early 2009: Called & ordered Teksavvy ADSL 5/800 service. I notified TSI that I already had a DSL modem (ST516) as per recommendation by TSI and DSL REPORTS users, and micro-filters. I was given the information on the activation date and instructions on how to use & configure the modem and how to install the micro-filters to separate my wet-loop phone from the ADSL signal to not get interference. I was told about the required visit of a BELL technician and when to be home. Date of install, BELL called notified me that the service was activated at the remote and I was ready to use DSL. I believe this was beginning of February 2009. I still kept my Rogers connection active as a backup in case the DSL would not work properly at my residence.

Skip ahead to March-April 2009: Service was working great for a few weeks, until I started to notice some speed slowdowns. This was when my first call to Teksavvy support was made in 2009. I had a great tech that helped me troubleshoot everything. The computer, the modem, testing all the jacks, even testing at the demarcation point and nothing. Problem wasn't able to be fixed. So he recommended opening a ticket with BELL, informed me they might charge $90 if they find nothing wrong, and gave me a 2 day estimate for when the BELL TECH should show up. I said, hell I'll take the risk because it doesn't seem like its a problem with my hardware or lines.

Day of ticket: BELL comes (as scheduled), tested my demarc outside and inside the house and all was OK. The tech went to the remote & noticed there was noise/errors at the port. Basically he said the port that I was plugged into at the remote was faulty. He swapped me to another port, re-activated my DSL service on the new port and took off, all was well. So it was a BELL issue and Teksavvy managed to fix that for me. Great first time support by their staff, I was very impressed with their knowledge and that the support was local (Ontario) and in the same country (Canada) with English speaking representatives. None of this out sourcing crap. Great job TSI staff. Also, after the port switch the BELL tech placed me on a 6016/800 (business) profile, so I was getting my full 5mbps ... yay ... I was one of the lucky ones, lol.

So then I cancelled Rogers and from 2009 - 2012, I enjoyed the ADSL 6/800k service I was receiving from Teksavvy. The up-time was fantastic, and the only time the service went down was when BELL was doing maintenance on their lines, then it would effect all DSL customers. When Teksavvy had to do maintenance they would send out a mass email days in advance and let users know of service interruptions. Best part was that TSI would usually be doing the maintenance during the late night hours when everyone was sleeping as to not effect a majority of users that need to be online. A very good job there. Very professional service.

2012: Finally in 2012, after much fighting with CRTC & UBB & BELL, etc ... Teksavvy was finally able to offer ADSL2+ tiers. Time for an upgrade ... finally. To shove UBB & CAPS down bibic's throat. TSI Rocky also decided to bump everyone's data cap to 300GB/month. A very kind gesture to all the Teksavvy users. If Rocky had enough bandwidth to share to everyone being an IISP, then there was no reason for BIG 3 to enforce data caps & insane prices on all users. But hey, Canadian monopoly internet, what can you do.

So, a few new packages were being offered in 2012 and I decided to upgrade to 12/1 ADSL2+ from my current 6/800k ADSL service. I called Teksavvy, placed my upgrade order to 12/1 300GB cap. I was told I had to pay an activation fee (a bs charge from BELL) and I would get a visit from BELL & Indy TELCO guy. Well day of install, setup went grand. BELL called as usual on time, and said my service was activated. TELCO guy ... (no clue who he was) ... I guess he was for a pots splitter or something but he never came. (Just giving full details here, sorry). Nothing bad happened, my service was upgraded & activated and I continued using micro-filters on my lines just as I did before. I had to change nothing. Service was up and running smooth.

Now, here comes the funny part. So BELL at this point, I guess was being bitter now that Indy ISP's had access to new tiers at better prices. When I was activated on the 12/1 ADSL2+ service, BELL ... actually pathetically put me on a 12/1 profile. Meaning with the %DSL overhead loss I was only getting 9.5M/800k ... lol. Wow talk about low balers at BELL. Really sad to do this to indy ISP's.

I called Teksavvy support and explained to them the situation. The Teksavvy tech at the time said that my line stats looked great. I had an up to rating of 20mbps sync on my ADSL2+ line and yes it indeed was a shame that BELL did that low blow with the profile settings. They told me there is nothing Teksavvy can do because BELL controls the profile settings and that it was a real shame that they did that. Well, I was not going to have it!! I asked the tech nicely to put in a request to BELL to bump my profile so I could achieve full 12M as promised. He said he would send in the request but told me BELL has the right to refuse/reject and not to bump it up, considering that DSL is an up-to service. LOL. Shame on BELL.

Teksavvy support, being as great as they are ... worked some of their magic and BELL re-synced my profile to 14/1 ... so that after the %DSL overhead loss I was getting full 12M/1 speeds. Great job Teksavvy! I was proud that they were able to do this for me and bump up my internet service to get what I was paying for. I was really pleased.

Six months later from 2012 install date: Some crtc changes and updates and such. Teksavvy was able to offer lower prices for their xDSL services and more speed. My 12/1 package went from $41.99/month to $32.99 a month ($10 less) and a free speed increase to 15/1 speeds ... 3 megs more. Speed increase and savings, really impressed at Teksavvy. I also believe at this point they started offering unlimited downloads between 2am-8am. That was great of them to offer as well. Fantastic.

October 2014: Well after enjoying years of 15/1 ADSL2+ service with a great price and cap I decided I wanted higher speeds and called in to Teksavvy and asked to upgrade my 15/1 300GB service to 50/10 VDSL2 service.

The rep on the phone explained everything to me. I was explained that I would need to purchase a VDSL2 modem, recommended from Teksavvy, which I agreed to. I also was informed of a $50 activation fee on part of Bell's behalf and the price for 1 month of service. I was also informed that I would be credited back for any overlapping service from my old tier to my new tier. I was also given 2 install dates for a BELL technician to show up, as Teksavvy makes the request and BELL decides when they will send the tech. Everything was explained to me properly and all the information about accounting, tech requests, show up dates, bill payments were sent to me via email. I received all information of when to be home, explanation of invoices and so forth. Very professionally done and I understood everything.

If anyone complains about not being properly informed during an install procedure, then I'm sorry you must be feeble minded because the information/explanations I received to my inbox was great. Everything was properly explained over the phone and in the emails sent to me.

Day of install:

November 10, 2014: Bell technician calls and shows up on time as promised. He makes the appropriate changes at my DSLAM/remote and requests access into my home/basement to the bell panel. I let him in and he installs the POTS splitter and splits my wet-loop and puts my VDSL signal on my 2nd pair, thus removing the need for the micro-filters. He asked me if I wanted to leave the modem their in the basement and I said no I would like the jack on the 2nd floor wired please. Since I had a wet-loop/fax in that room I purchased a RJ-11 dual face-plate jack for the wall. The tech came up and brought my VDSL signal into the room and tested for signal. He then bumped my profile to 50/10, plugged in my TSI modem we checked for internet, verified speed and he left. He also showed me how to wire the dual rj-11 jack so I could get wet-loop/fax and VDSL in my office, which was nice of him so I wired my jack, labeled it and boom good to go. After he left I got a confirmation email from Teksavvy stating that a technician had visited my home and completed the installation and my service was good to go. If any problems to contact them. Great job Teksavvy. Service was up and running.

But, as per usual with Bell's laziness my VDSL profile was set to 50/7. I was told by the BELL TECH that due to distance and old copper lines/noise that 50/7 is the best I would get. Which, wasn't a problem for me as I was happy for full d/l speed service and everything running smoothly.

Here is where it gets even better ... On a totally unrelated matter, I was asking questions about wifi and routers on the Teksavvy support/direct forum. Since the review here says not to mention staff names without permission, I will just go about and say that on a totally unrelated matter, TSI support staff members took a look at my line stats and it showed them that my upload RCO signal was only at 64%. Which, was explained to me that I was able to qualify for the full 50/10 service. Hmm ... doesn't that sound again like BELL being lazy to Indy ISP's?? I think so. So .... without me even asking, TSI Staff bumped my profile to a full 50/10 profile service, and explained that the line stats looked great on their end, and to just keep an eye on sync issues, but I shouldn't have any as my upload RCO was at 85% on the 10M ul profile.

So since then, I have been enjoying my 50/10 VDSL service ... with consistent up-time (1 month now) and very low latency 6~7ms on speedtests, and great low ping with near to no jitter (2~4ms) depending on servers. The latency has been really great. I am very satisfied with their service and with my connection.

Come February 2015 ... I will be a 6 year member on TSI internet services, and I have to say aside from scheduled maintenance either by BELL (random without notification) or by Teksavvy (with advanced noticed to customers and minimal downtime) I have been overall pleased with the up-time of my internet connection and the support service staff that try and help troubleshoot issues when they arise. For the most part in the last 6 years I have yet to experience a line issue (knock on wood). Any problems I had with slow speeds (3 separate occasions) over the last 6 years have been the direct result of BELL maintenance problems. Once for faulty port connection and the other 2 were for widespread line/server/dslam/routing issues that were beyond the control of TSI. Otherwise the internet has been stable and behaves like it should.

Thus far I have been really satisfied with TSI support and services offered and support from users on this forum, they also are a big help and deserve credit as well, thank you. GREAT JOB TSI!! KEEP IT UP!!

SIDE NOTE:

Also I would also like to apologize by putting in the (Bottom line) about TSI CABLE not being reliable, even though this is a DSL review, but I have a friend (who wants to remain anonymous on here) that lives a block away from me (who is on the same POI as my neighbour on ROGERS) and I recommended him TSI CABLE, since he wanted out of the Rogers loop. Well his constant problematic service has been driving him to the point of insanity, leaving him with no option but to either try VDSL with a dryloop from TSI or unfortunately give up and go back to Rogers. Sorry TSI, he complains to me all the time about it and I had to share.

===================================================

Hardware used over the years:

ADSL & ADSL2+

router: WRT1900AC

All the best,

-blah

member for 6 years, 298 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Alan

Thanks For Your Review

Hi blah,

Thank you for your thoughtful and insightful review. It is greatly appreciated!

It is long-term dedicated customers like you that inspire us to do our best each day.

Sorry to hear your friend has had issues with his cable connection. Based on your positive experiences with DSL over the years, he may want to consider changing platforms. We would be happy to help him with that!

Have a great day.
TSI Alan (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee
Follow us on Twitter: @TekSavvyCSR; @TekSavvyNetwork

Review by TypeS See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Faster & better than Bell, cheaper, excellent technical and frontline staff"
Bad "Reliance on Bell for installation and first mile repair, takes longer for repairs"
Overall "Save money and no pulling out hairs to talk to someone at the company"

·TekSavvy Cable
I originally became a TekSavvy customer on a DSL 5/6Mbps package in 2009 before they became a TPIA a few year later. After a slight delay caused by activation of my POTS # with them as well, I had that DSL for 3 years without any hiccups. Can't remember any long outages. Experienced some weird drops but was typically great talking to their technical support back then. There was no install fee and I paid something like $32 after taxes for unlimited.

In 2012 I got TPIA cable (28MB/s then 45MB/s, my review is here: »/comment/86729) since the move fee of $65 was the same as the TPIA install fee. My TPIA connection is now with Start Communications because of the x/10Mbps packages they had in 2013 that no one else did.

I now have a 15/1 FTTN connection as second connection/backup since everything on my home relies on the internet now (VoIP, streaming boxes, online gaming, etc). TSI Andre helped me get the order, paid for the installation and first month with an agent on the phone. Easy enough

A week later, Bell tech shows up around 10AM for my 8AM-12PM installation. He was polite and took the time to do all the work necessary. Spent about 10 minutes at the Bell demarcation point outside. My condo has a really old Nortel NID but turned out it didn't need replacing. After that he installed a POTS splitter in at cabling panel in the basement and then asked where I wanted the modem. I had a unterminated jack that he wired up and screwed a plate on. My TD-8818 modem from the DSL 5/6 days was dead, so he took the time to show me on his testing tool that I got 17/1 sync and good ping back to Bell's IP network. All in all about 25 ~ 30 minutes and it was all done.

Purchased a D-Link DSL-520B on the way to work the same day, plugged it in over the weekend, authenticated and have been getting full speeds ever since. Have it for about 7 weeks now and it has not dropped sync or authentication. As stable a service as I remember from a few years ago.

The $50 install does sting and 4 hour install windows that straddle my full time job aren't that great but once installed, it's a great service.

With growth, I would say TSI's only shortcoming is not having consistently awesome technical. Years ago, would always get someone confident and competent. From the last few months that I had TPIA cable, it felt a lot more like newer staff were just reading scrips or relying heavily on some form of standard troubleshooting. As network/sys admin, I understand the need for logical troubleshooting but it often feels as some technical staff are crutching on it and don't fully understand the testing they're asking. But that's probably to be expected, technologically incline people will not line up to work an entry level job as front line phone agent. Just hard as someone who remembers the earlier years of TSI to not make the comparison.

But their DSL Reports team definitely makes up for it. As someone who has back up internet connection from either another provider or an LTE hotspot, I have no trouble reaching out on the their Direct Support forum (»TekSavvy Direct) for assistance. I find the experience a lot better than calling their support line. So props to TSI Martin, Andre, Elizabeth, ShawnS, Jhn, etc.

Overall, I am still pleased with TekSavvy as a company and still recommend them (along with Start) to friends and family that ask. My only suggestion is that they adopt optional renting of modems.

member for 2.1 years, 1163 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Andre

Thanks!

Thanks for updating your review and for your continued support and contribution to this forum!

Cheers,

Review by Phibian See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Excellent customer service, cutting edge services (MLPPP), reasonable prices"
Overall "Best ISP I've found so far"

Upgrading to a dual (MLPPP) 25/10 DSL connection. Lots of time on the phone getting it all sorted out but that was mainly because of the complexity of my setup. No issues upgrading lines so far and wow is 25/10 fast! Combined I'm getting 50/20. Also worth noting that TSI support was so friendly it was amazing. Also they've now dropped the price more than once and increased the caps and speed!

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

Re: Review

Hello Phibian,

Thank you for your review!

Upgrading to a dual (MLPPP) 25/10 DSL connection is a big feat . A lot of preparation is involved. It is all worth while knowing that you will get a 50/20 connection in the end. If you have any questions or require assistance please feel free to either post in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum or call an agent at 1-877-779-1575.

Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON

Router hardware

What router hardware are you using, out of curiosity?

Phibian

join:2009-06-01
Ottawa, ON

Re: Router hardware

1U intel box running Debian Linux.

Review by hoople See Profile

• Location: St Thomas,ON
Good "Value."
Bad " "
Overall "S'good."

Another year: no connection problems, IPv6 is solid, service price is the same.

member for 1.5 years, 95 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

review

Hello Hoople,

Thank you for the TekSavvy review! I am very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your service.
I do apologize for the mix up when submitting an upgrade for you, however am very happy we were able to correct this quickly for you. I am happy you are receiving consistent speeds, if you would like to see if we can increase your speeds a little closer to the 15 mbps connection please send us a message in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We would be more than happy to investigate this a little further for you.

Thank you again for this great review.
TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.

Review by ed_scott0013 See Profile

• Location: Kanata,ON
Good "Stable service, good support, and excellent value!"
Bad "Can be frustrating when the connection goes down."
Overall "Definitely worth a look; A great alternative to the larger providers."

Before I begin, I'm going to give you some background on my DSL/Telephone services:

In 2008, I had Bell High-Speed Internet (5/1) as well as Bell Home Phone (basic, no frills phone). As soon as I could, I dropped the Bell High Speed (check out my other review for the details) and switched to TekSavvy DSL (also 5/1). But due to contracts, and house moves, etc. I was using the standard home phone service for the next 5 years. No complaints about that, other than the price (no value for money, costs steadily climbing, etc.)

All in all, the price was about $90 per month for the two ($40 for TekSavvy DSL and $50 for Bell basic home phone, taxes included).

Now, I'm paying $62 monthly for TekSavvy DSL 15/1 + TekTalk Unlimited, which gives me many more features for the money. Honestly, I was pretty giddy when I saw the options I had access to when I logged into the TekTalk portal. Custom rules for call forwarding/blocking? Voice mail messages listenable online? Unlimited long distance in North America? All awesome!

Anyways, since the focus of this review is supposed to be the DSL, I'll get right on it: It's amazing when it works, but can be frustrating when it doesn't.

When everything is working as intended, it's pretty much unicorns and rainbows all the way down: It's a solid 15 Mbps download (with approx. 700 kbps upload). Gaming is snappy, no lags when chatting with my friends, and huge patches (GB sized patches) and games from Steam (multi-GB sized games) can max out the connection with little issue.

In my experience with TekSavvy, I've had three occurrences of bad DSL service: the first one was when for some reason, my house was connected to the wrong DSLAM (is that even possible?) but after some quick troubleshooting by the great folks on the TekSavvy Direct Forum here on DSLReports, a Bell tech came out and fixed me up.

The second occurrence was when I got switched over to TekTalk, but that wasn't their fault at all... I was too impatient and didn't wait for the analog telephone adapter to do its magic before trying to use the phone. Even though it was my issue, the TekSavvy techs on the phone were super helpful.

As a side note: my transition from TekSavvy DSL 6/1 + Bell Landline to TekSavvy DSL 15/1 + TekTalk Unlimited VOIP was as seamless as it could be. Number ported over without incident, dry loop set up, everything working as intended... after I let the ATA do its thing, of course.

The third occurrence was recently, when my previously solid 15/1 service became more like a 6/1 service with frequent disconnects. Another round of diagnostics with the TS Direct Forum guys, another Bell technician, and I'm back in the game again.

All these issues aside, these guys are willing to work with you to get your problems solved. To me, that's important. If you want a good (who am I kidding... great!) DSL provider, TekSavvy is a solid choice.

Tech details:
- DSL Modem: D-Link DSL-520B (purchased from Canada Computers)
- DSL Modem (Retired): Thomson Speedtouch ST516 (purchased from TekSavvy). Has some issues with overheating, but it still works. I keep it around as a backup when diagnosing issues. It has also been modified with a copper heatsink on the Broadcom chip, and lots of holes drilled into the plastic case.
- Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA): Grandstream HT502 (purchased from TekSavvy with TekTalk VOIP)
- Router: D-Link DIR-625 (purchased from FutureShop)

Random notes:
- When calling in to TekSavvy support, the "call back" option is great. That way I'm not draining the battery on my cell phone while I'm on hold.
- If you're able, the TekSavvy Direct Forum is the go-to place to get your issues solved. I much prefer that to calling. The only downside is that the overall time taken to resolve the issue is longer, but for me that is not a huge deal (luckily I have Internet access from work/friends).
- Even though they are relying on Bell for their techs and lines and such, I'm very pleased with the service turnaround times and overall performance.
- During my time with TekSavvy, my DSL service costs actually went DOWN (from $34.99 to $32.99) while my performance went UP (6/1 to 15/1 and 200 GB transfer to 300 GB transfer). Gotta love that.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Ed_Scott0013,

Thank you very much for this great review. I am very pleased to see you have had minimal issue with your service and you’re receiving consistent speeds. I am also very delighted to hear your DSL upgrade and number port to TekTalk went seamlessly. I do apologize for any issue you have had with the service however am happy we were able to resolve these quite quickly for you.

Please continue to keep us updated on your service and if you have any further questions please message us in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct .

Thanks again for this review
TSI-ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.

Review by stevens123 See Profile

• Location: Braeside,ON
Good "Relitively quick install, Has been rock solid since install"
Bad "Nothing so far"
Overall "Great service for a great price"

We ordered the 15/1 package on a dryloop (+5 dollars a month) and from ordering to install it took 7 days for everything to be completed. Had Bell before but they decided not to honour our deal and raise our rates to $64+ tax a month on 5/.08?! quoting our area cant get faster then 5/.8 (even though we test at 16/1.1 on teksavvy dsl). So far it has been rock solid and have no complaints, definitely would recommend to friends.

Comments:

TSI Andre

Outstanding!

Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to review your experience. We certainly appreciate it. Welcome to the family and enjoy the many years of savings and great customer service.

If you need us, you know where to find us

Cheers,

stevens123

join:2013-12-17

Update on service

Two months after having the service installed, (15/1) it continues to be rock solid, with no downtime or slowdowns having been experienced. Would Definitely recommend to anyone looking for a solid DSL connection. Thoroughly pleased with the service we get for such a low price compared to incumbents.

Review by chamacgowan See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Friendly support staff, but seems like there hands are tied"
Bad "Very frustrating service, no solution yet presented, and no word from managers after trying to escalate"
Overall "Don't sign up for TekSavvy! Pay the few extra bucks and use someone who can help you if something goes wrong. "

***Updated review 11/2/2014

Technician from Bell came on Friday (10/31) and fixed the problem temporarily - we were getting the desired speeds from Friday afternoon until this morning. Again speeds have dropped - supposed to be getting 10, and averaging around 3 - sometimes down around 0.5, or 0.8.

I've replied with this info to a ticket that I've opened, and enclosed a screen shot showing speed tests.

At this point I've literally spent hours on the phone to support, and I've had two visits from a Bell Technician (Had to take the afternoon off work), and still I'm not getting the service we're paying for.

Very very dis-satisfied with TekSavvy.

**********

I was pretty hopeful when signing up for TekSavvy – seemed to be pretty good value, and they have a bunch of different options with packages that they have available, both in terms of speeds and download limits.

We signed up for the 10dl/1up package, with a 300 gig limit. It was installed towards the start of this month. After about a week I noticed that the speeds weren’t good enough (getting a max of 5.5 download speed). I opened a ticket and was informed that they had mistakenly put me on the wrong package (7 download), and that they couldn’t make the change from their end, and the a tech would have to come out and make the upgrade – okay, so far not ideal but fair enough. My girlfriend had to take the afternoon off work as the only time available was a Thursday afternoon.

Anyway, the tech (from bell) turns up and tests, and he says that the line is fine and that he doesn’t need to make a change. He tells me that it’s most likely the modem; okay, I contact TekSavvy and they let them know (the reluctantly send out a new modem, after telling me about 20 times that I may be charged if the first modem turns out to be fine).

After the visit of the tech, my internet is down completely. The tech say it’s fine and that 10mbps speed is being delivered to the apartment, it all looks good from Tek Savvy’s end, but meanwhile I’m not able to even open a website – when I am able to run a speedtest I’m getting a speed of 0.05 or so.

Now comes the frustrating part – when I’m on the phone to teksavvy, they keep telling me that there is no problem that they can see, and that if I request another visit from a tech, I will be charged $85. I understand that they are using a vendor, but meanwhile I don’t have internet! So my choice now is to either risk paying an additional $85 fee, or just not have internet! The lady I spoke to was very nice, but her hands were tied. I really don’t care what Teksavvy’s billing arrangements are with Bell – it shouldn’t concern me. I signed up with Teksavyy, and they haven’t provided me with the service I’m paying for, all the while they keep reminding me that I’m on the line for a call out fee if Bell don’t find anything wrong.

This morning the requested some ping tests from me which I provided.

Very frustrating, and no solution close. I requested to speak to a manager last night, but I haven’t heard anything so far today.

I’ll update this review when I hear from TekSavvy.

TL:DR - At this point I would warn anyone who’s thinking about TekSavvy NOT TO DO IT! Pay the few extra bucks and use someone who can help you if something goes wrong.

Comments:

TSI Keith

Your Review

Hello there,

Thank you for providing your feedback here. I've very sorry to hear things have not gone well for you. I'd like to have a look into what went wrong here and what can be done to make it better for you ASAP. Could I ask that you please post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum and provide us with your account details so that I can do so?

chamacgowan

join:2014-10-28

Re: Your Review

Hey Keith,

I'm working with a couple of your account managers on this problem at the moment, and it looks like they are making some progress.

This afternoon my service was restored at the lower speed (7mbs), which will tide me over in the meanwhile - when I'm moved up to a higher plan the whole thing stops working. Dave M was very helpful (it's just a pity I didn't get him 10 days ago!!).

I'll report back when a solution is implemented.

Re: Your Review

Excellent! Thank you for taking the time to update me here.

Sounds like you're in good hands now, but should you need us in the future, we're always here. In the meantime, we look forward to your next report.

Have a great day!

crowbarone

join:2014-01-31
Scarborough, ON

2 edits
Who are we supposed to sign up with ?

Chatham, ON

Update

if it's ok now, I'd like my team to take over and see what they can do for you!

Are you free tomorrow around 11am for one of my guys to call you to discuss further?
chamacgowan

join:2014-10-28

Re: Update

yes thanks Andre, I'm available tomorrow at 11am. Do you need my details or for me to open a thread elsewhere?

I've had a reply today, outlining a bunch of steps I need to take. I've been through this around 3 times already but I will re-do at some point tomorrow.

Re: Update

Awesome. Just to play it safe, can you PM me your account info (name, #, email)?

Thanks,

Hello again,

I believe we've located your account here and I tried to give you a call but received voice mail. I've also sent you a message via your open support ticket. We can continue there if you'd like or feel free to let us know when would be a good time to call again.

Review by MarkBogus See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Tech Support was great"
Bad "Installation dates changed without notice, modem not configured correctly"
Overall "A few bumps in the installation, but well worth the switch"

I switched to Teksavvy from another independent ISP who could not (or would not) upgrade my 6Mbps ADSL connection. The order process went smoothly, and I received my new modem (Zyxel VSG 1432) very quickly. However my installation date was moved back twice and I was not notified; the way I found out was to post a message asking for confirmation of the install date on the Teksavvy Direct Support forum. I was also told that I had to be home for the installation (remember that I already had DSL service). This turned out to be incorrect because Telus did the install and activation remotely.

As it turned out, Telus did something wrong because I had no DSL connection. After running through the usual checklist, Teksavvy Tech Support submitted a ticket to Telus, and the problem was resolved in less than 24 hours (at no extra cost to me of course, since the problem was on the Telus side).

I had a DSL connection, but no internet access. So I contacted Teksavvy Tech Support via telephone, and we determined that my modem was not configured properly; it was set up for ADSL service when in fact I am on VDSL2 service. So we set up a new WAN Interface file and that fixed the problem. Tech Support was knowledgeable, patient, and persistent. I have nothing but good things to say about my interactions with them.

The connection is fast and stable: I am on the 25/2 DSL plan and I get 24.6 down and 2.8 up consistently.

»speedtest.net/result/2374894276.png

Overall, I am very happy with my Teksavvy experience thus far.

Updates to follow

December 24, 2012 Update

I started a Line Monitoring session on December 17, and received my first weekly report today:

Outage report as seen by new jersey USA ny-monitor.dslreports.com
--------------------------------------
UP 2012-12-17 04:03:39 - 2012-12-24 03:33:35 (1004 samples)
** Your IP had 100% reachability during the period!

Outage report as seen by san francisco USA 64.81.79.40
--------------------------------------
UP 2012-12-17 04:04:05 - 2012-12-24 03:33:35 (1003 samples)
** Your IP had 100% reachability during the period!

In fact the only issues I have had with my connection have been when I was monkeying with my router settings and had to reboot. Speed is consistently 24.6 down and 2.8 up.

January 16, 2013

One month on and very happy with with the DSL service. The Zyxel modem is rock solid reliable and the connection is stable and always up. I have learned that I cannot let TCP max out my upload bandwidth lest my download speed suffer, but hey, that is the nature of TCP.

March 30, 2014

The ZyXel VSG1432 modem suddenly failed on March 19, 2014, after 15 months. The failure mode was no PPPoE login in either router or bridge mode, and therefore no internet. After a couple of wrong turns with Tech Support, and escalating to Telus (remote line and DSL diagnosis) we determined that the modem was the problem.
I ordered a replacement, which arrived in 5 business days, and was back up and reconnected in about 10 minutes. Total down time was 10 days, which is not bad, considering my work schedule, Telus involvement, and the purchase/shipping of a replacement modem from Chatham to Alberta. Yes, it was inconvenient and frustrating, but I felt that Tech Support was always ready to help.

October 30, 2014

The 2nd ZyXel VSG 1432 Modem failed suddenly on July 15, 2014 after 4 months. Same failure mode as above. Teksavvy replaced it with no hassles and no cost to me and I was back up and running again in a few days. No issues with Teksavvy support, but I am really concerned about these modems. Mine is in a well ventilated room plugged into a line filtered UPS so there are no power issues. I might order another one just to have a spare.....

The Telus speed upgrade went through, so my throughput is a very consistent 25.1/4.7 now. I have no complaints about the line speed or availability. Overall: still satisfied.

Comments:

JonF
Chatham, ON

"A few bumps in the installation, but well worth the switch"

Hello,

I'm happy to hear that everything is now working for you. I do apologize for the delay in your activation. If you require any further assistance, you can contact us in the direct forum (as you know), as we are always happy to help!

Have a great day!
rkaushik

join:2002-03-31
Tallahassee, FL

get service directly with Bell

Would not recommend teksavvy phone or internet service in the GTA. In GTA they lease Bell lines. Any install or service order has to go to Bell. If you ever have an issue, Bell will make sure that they provide the worst service possible to teksavvy customers. In the end the customer ends up getting screwed while it may not be teksavvy's fault.
My recent example: Phone line was down. Teksavvy filed repair ticket with Bell. Bell did some remote testing and determined that everything was ok without coming to my home to check if there was a dial tone outside my home. Bell closed the ticket. I called teksavvy back and they called Bell again. Bell argued but finally agreed to sent tech out. Bell tech determined that my telephone line had been disconnected at the neighborhood network box! I was asked to be home for a 5 hour window both times that Bell tech was supposed to come out.
In total I had service outage for 5 days for no fault of Teksavvy.
Lesson learned- however bad Bell is I would much rather have service directly with Bell. Bell now offers no contract service (internet and phone) like teksavvy and prices very competitively.
So why would you go through teksavvy and not directly to Bell? I had teksavvy for a long time because I disliked Bell but in the end what matters is my service uptime and not getting the run around. Interesting when I switched to Bell I was offered multiple installation windows for 3 hours and the tech called me before he showed up.
LanAdmin

join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC
·ELECTRONICBOX

said by rkaushik:

Would not recommend teksavvy phone or internet service in the GTA.

That can happen event if you are with Bell. My neighbor who is directly with Bell had intermittent phone service for over a week before Bell finally solved the problem.

Personally I would never go with Bell again.
rkaushik

join:2002-03-31
Tallahassee, FL

Re: get service directly with Bell

Unfortunately we are stuck with bell owning the lines. If it took bell that long then it would have taken longer via teksavvy and a lot more pain for the consumer via long and inflexible appointment windows, teuchs not calling ahead, brokering everything via teksavvy, etc.
LanAdmin

join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC
·ELECTRONICBOX

said by rkaushik:

Not sure

Hello MarkBogus,

Thank you for the updated review. I am happy to hear you are still enjoying the service. I regret to hear there was an issue with your modem, I am however thrilled to see we were able to send you a new modem and get you back on line.

Thank you again for the updated review. If you have any issues or questions we can always be reached through the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

Tsi-ashleigh

Your recent update

Hello Mark,

Thank you for the update here, it is sincerely appreciated as we always love feedback from our customers. I'm glad to hear you are still satisfied with the service though sorry to hear you have had repeat issues with these modems.

I can ensure you though that this is not an issue that we commonly see with these. It never hurts to have a spare modem laying around for troubleshooting purposes and the like, but you definitely shouldn't need to invest in a backup expecting another failure.

Review by kevishto See Profile

Good "Speed, low downtime"
Bad "Customer service, warranty issues on modem"

Teksavvy has been my isp for a little over a year now and until recently I have been satisfied with their service. This is probably due to the fact that I never had an issue to call in about.

A few days ago I noticed that The internet was down. I was working remotely that day so it was particularly important. I phoned Teksavvy and the rep if there had been issues in the area. I was told there were no issues that they knew of and they would send a tech out in a couple of days. I went outside shortly after and saw two shaw vans outside. I asked them what the problem was and they said a transformer blew. I called techsavvy back and asked them to cancel the tech since The shaw guys told me what the issue was. They said I should keep the appointment since he could check for any other issues. I said this was a good idea since my modem had been randomly resetting. The agent from techsavvy asked me how old the modem and I said about 14 months. The agent said "we might be able to squeeze a warranty out of it since it has barely been over a year"

Two days later a shaw technician showed up and said the modem was defective and he had seen a few others with this problem. He told the guys at teksavvy (on the phone) that it had a loose connection point and could not be moved or it would restart or shut off.

After the tech left I asked techsavvy if it could be replaced under warranty and they simply said "sorry, it only has a 1 year warranty." I reminded them of what the agent had told me about squeezing out a warranty and they continued to repeat "1 year warranty." I asked them if I could see the warranty to check if manufacturer defects had longer than a year and was met with .... "sorry, 1 year warranty." At one point a teksavvy employee promised to e-mail me a warranty. I received no such e-mail. I called back today and was referred to the techsavvy website that stated 1 year warranty. I tried to explain that I wanted to see the thompson (modem brand) warranty and was finally told that although teksavvy purchases modems from thompson, they have no way of contacting them. Huh? They can't contact their supplier?

Frankly I have had decent service from Teksavvy in the past and was very surprised to see them drop the ball on this.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Kevishto,

Thank you for the review. I would like to review your account to see what was said to you and see what is happening. Can you please post in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct with your account information?

Ashleigh

Review by tahukipas See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Package priced attractively, sign up process was a breeze"
Bad "Terrible system for coordinating the install, no accountability, unstable connection"
Overall "It's a hit and miss as you're basically at the mercy of their vendors to get anything done"

·TELUS
Signed up at Aug 4 for the 15/1 DSL internet and got the Aug 14 installation date. During sign up call, the rep didn't mention that the date was tentative and subject to confirmation from vendor (presumably Bell in this case). Since then, I only got a couple of emails stating they're experiencing a delay with the vendor and couldn't tell me when the install will take place. As I'm posting this, the 1st installation timeslot has passed and I've yet to hear back on this or if the tech will come on a new date. There wasn't even a formal communication stating that the 1st installation timeslot won't be happening.

Teksavvy's reps in the direct forum were responsive to my questions, but ultimately they weren't able to move this forward. The general message I've got so far from the reps are that Teksavvy doesn't have any control over the vendor and can't do anything when issues like this arise. This is disconcerting for me because as an end user, I'm paying Teksavvy and would expect to get service in return. I expect Teksavvy to do what needs to be done and coordinate with all involved parties (including their vendors) to deliver on their commitment. Unfortunately, this is where they fail in this case.

[8/17 Update] I have received a confirmation email from Teksavvy that the vendor has confirmed an installation date at Tuesday, Aug 19. I will provide another update once the installation is done. Many thanks to all parties involved in expediting this and I'm hoping everything goes smoothly on the d-day.

[8/19 Update] Bell technician came in as scheduled. Took approximately 2 hours to complete the installation. Speedtest shows a 14.3 mbps download and 0.78 mbps upload which I figure is close enough to the 15/1 maximum. Tested streaming youtube in HD which went smoothly as expected. Overall, I'm happy with the speed. Will monitor for the next few days if the performance is consistent.

Speedtest result in here: »www.speedtest.net/my-result/3699943590

[10/18] I'm deducting one point for connection reliability because for the past 2 weeks, my connection has randomly disconnects. Sometimes the issue is gone right away (restart modem and connection comes back), but there have been a few occasions where DSL keeps dropping after getting connected for 2-3 mins.

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

RE:Review

Hello tahukipas,

We apologize that our agent did not make themselves clear that the requested activation dates are tentative pending vendor confirmation.

We are experiencing some delays with our DSL vendor with regards to acknowledgement of orders.. We are working with our vendor to get the earliest dispatch date available. We will deliver on our commitment and activate your service as soon as our vendor confirms a dispatch date for us.

Thanks again for your continued patience.
I see that you have already posted in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum. We will continue to work with you there.

Warm regards.
Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

TSI Kris
join:2013-11-18

Review Update

Hi tahukipas!

Huzzah! Glad to hear you finally got a confirmation. Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Thanks,

TSI Kris

review

Hello Tahukipas,

Thank you for the updated review. I do regret to see that you are having a connection issue. We would be more than happy to assist you with diagnosing the issue and finding a solution. Please send us a message in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct so we can assist you further.

Ashleigh