TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by Floop70 See Profile

• Location: T9V2J1
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Good value for service"
Bad "Nothing yet"

I had been aware of Teksavvy for a while now but didn't know they were available in my town until last November sometime. It seemed to me to be a bit of a risk to have to buy the modem and actually pay to have the service installed (TELUS and Shaw both provide equipment and install for free), so I was into it by $314 before even having the service installed. I have now been using it for three weeks and it's really nice to not have to worry about going over my usage limits. Kids wanna watch Netflix? no problem. We wanna watch a movie on Apple TV? No problem. With Shaw before we were having to limit the use of streaming media... now it just doesn't matter.

The package we went with is 25/5 DSL with unlimited usage. Ordering it was really easy on their website, but it did take TELUS about a week to confirm to them that I could actually get the service. TekSavvy sent me updates daily while waiting for this confirmation. I bought a ZyXel VSG1432 from TekSavvy... I had it in a few days (before TELUS even confirmed availability).

One happy customer here. Really glad we made the switch.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Floop70

Thank you for the review!! I am so happy you are enjoying the 25/5 DSL connection. I am thrilled to see that everything went smoothly with receiving the equipment and activating the service.

It is nice to know your family can enjoy their online experience without worrying about overages. This is lovely to see. If you ever have any questions or concerns please let us know either in our Public or Direct Forums we are always happy to help.

Thank you again for this great review!

Review by vintagewino See Profile

• Location: Grimsby,ON
Bad "Have to use Bell's crumbling infrastructure & abysmal cooperation."

·WIND Mobile
·magicjack.com
Update Jan 31, 2015:

Another bonus! 400GB base limit?! Wow!

What would be better is if I could get good, consistent 5000/800 FP capacity on the line, but since the F2 is at the mercy of Bhell, the devil will be wearing skates before that gets replaced. 3000/512 FP is the best that piece of spaghetti can handle. It is NOT the fault of the F1 line, which splits 3 doors down. Saw the capacity of that fist hand.

Entertaining thoughts of some simplification and cost reduction, so changes are likely pending. Spoke to the folks regarding cable in the area. Have to crunch some numbers and see what happens ...

Update Jun 24th, 2013.

Price drop!! $37.28!!!

Connection is stable (3008/512 FP), considering the F2 line is garbage. The line cannot support 800k u/l, and d/l capability varies from 5300 to 4100, depending upon chance & luck. Bell has done (and will do) NOTHING to improve it so I can have solid 5M/800k FP. I'm stuck....

According to the TSI web page, looks like I might qualify TSI cable internet (Cogeco). Thinking of Cable 6 or Cable 10. cable with TSI (to keep costs and features similar). Bears looking into ...

Still cannot move home phone POTS over ...

Updated Feb. 4/2012:

Price gone up to $39.54, as of Feb. 2nd. Add an additional $1.50+HST "monthly activation charge" for new comers (now $41.23)? In June 2010, price was $31.45. - almost 17% increase on the base price, and an overall increase of 26% (compliments of the HST).

My line has not improved to even get 5M/800k, so I'm paying much more for the same line.

They are no longer the "darling" company they were. The constant threat of a $100 truck roll charge to Bell so that Bell can "fix" their garbage infrastructure is getting very old. The F2 line I'm on is punched, and s/b replaced, according to the last Bell service rep. That was 2 years ago. Same line.

Had thoughts of moving POTS over to TSI, but am holding off until I see what direction they're heading in. Sadly, it appears they are becoming more and more "Bell-like".

Update June 24/2010:

Price going up July 1st by $2 + the B.S.T. to $36. When I left my old ISP December 2007, internet charges had just increased to slightly over $44 TIP. And they did NOT offer 24/7 support, either.

Line is "stable" - no difference from 1/31/10 update.

I was concerned hearing support response time sliding. Had a query June 16th, so I nervously posted in Direct Forum, fully expecting reply later next day. I was wrong. There was a response in 90 minutes. I posted a reply. Response to that in 5 minutes. Find it difficult to argue with that. Thanks, Jason!

Update Jan. 31/2010

It has been a very interesting ride. I had the feeling TSI felt they were going out on a limb with Bell with these problems, but they did stick by. Bell finally found a bridge tap and succeeded in removing 7 dB of attenuation from the line. Was ~53 dB. Now ~46 dB.

Unfortunately, this has done little with the varying noise margin problem. D/L noise margin varies from 18 dB down to 10 dB, but generally 17 dB +/-1. Since 1700 yesterday, it dropped from 18 dB down to 11 dB, and stayed there for several hours. It has since crawled up to 13 dB as I'm writing this @ 1430. The line occupancy availability has varied from 5600 to 4200 over the last 20 hours.

This IS a significant improvement, as my noise d/l margin was a max 12-13 dB, and would often drop the connection daily or more. Currently, loss of DSL signal has been occurring once in 7-14 days.

Since I require fastpath, I'm stuck at a 3008/512 profile. Inadequate headroom on the U/L to get a 4032/800 fastpath; can get 4032/512 interleave at best.

The below-mentioned incident with the unnamed TSI rep was dealt with internally, and an apology issued.

Update Dec. 19th, 2009
It's about time to rewrite my review into something more current. Unfortunately, the numbers have changed, and not for the better.

I have had DSL since 2001. Started with Sympatico, switched to internet Direct (Look) in 2002, and to TSI in 2007.

2009 has been interesting, due to many losses of DSL sync. Swapping many modems, changing the POTS splitter a few times, changing the line from the demarc into the house, having Bell change the drop from the pole to the demarc, I continue to have problems since February. Well over 20 tickets have been issued to Bell to correct the problem. The problem still exists.

I have personally seen the Bell measurements at the F1/F2 junction box less than 200 meters from my house, 5056/800, RCO 50%. After 200 meters of F2+25 meters of drop, my my RCO@100% varies from 4700/732 to 1900/732 (that was this morning!)

The last thing Bell did in September was switch me to a different F2 pair. This has helped to drop the frequency of of resets due to sync loss, but has not eliminated it. Sitting on a 3008/512 FP profile, I can watch the d/l noise margin vary from 15 dB spike down within seconds down to 8 dB, then climb back up within a couple of minutes back to 12-15 dB. The u/l stays constant at 13 dB SNR, regardless. With the erratic d/l noise margin, I doubt I can ask for a better profile, as the sync losses would worsen.

The last Bell chap said the F2 cable has to be replaced.

When I queried TSI a few days later, I was told everything was fine, the F2 was fixed. Received a call from someone a few days later from TSI (refused to identify himself), said that was the best that can be done, and if I don't like it, I am free to leave. Checked back a couple of days later with TSI (after I cooled down), and indeed, that call DID come from one of TSI's outgoing numbers. I lodged a complaint, received an apology, but it certainly shook my confidence.

WTF????? An interesting way of doing business! That call certainly put the brakes on me switching my home phone.

So far, status quo. No final resolution with line problem. Wish there was an alternative to Bell's lousy copper. Cogeco is an alternative, but NOT an option.

Comments:

TSI Support1
TSI Support
join:2009-09-28

Hey there,

Thanks for the update! I'm glad to see that your connection is stable and that you're happy with the price drop! Unfortunately at the time we still have no ETA about the POTS from transfer from Bell.

If you'd like assistance with the cable internet or even have some questions about it, feel free to ask!

Jon

Review Update

Hey vintagewino!

Thanks for the update on the review! Happy to hear the 100gigs bump works for you.

If you ever need help or have questions regarding anything, please feel free to reach out to us in our direct forum »TekSavvy Direct. Our online team is always happy to help.

Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.

Review by Mike2009 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa, ON
Good "Customer Service"
Bad "All is good."
Overall "Very reliable and well priced."

Still going strong after 8 years. On VDSL 25/10 on a 7330 remote.

member for 6.2 years, 3602 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

TSI Jonathan
canada

Update

Thanks for the update Mike2009. Happy to have you as a customer for so long! We definitely appreciate your business and loyalty! We'll keep doing what were doing and if you ever have any questions or concerns, you know where to find us.

canada
Thanks (again) for the update Mike2009! 8 years is, in my opinion, incredibly awesome!

Thank you for you long and continued support and looking forward to another 8 more years!

Jonathan

Review by SimplePanda See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Great value and support."
Bad "Performance problems can occur if TekSavvy is stuck waiting on upgrades from incumbents"
Overall "Great value ISP with really good performance"

·Rogers Hi-Speed
I've used the following Toronto ISP's:

- Bell Fibe (25/7)
- Rogers (Hybrid Fibre 60, Business 30/5, Business 150/10, Residential 150/10).
- TekSavvy 25/7, 25/10 and 50/10 VDSL2.

TekSavvy is a great ISP. Speeds have been traditionally quite good. In Sept-Nov of 2014 there were some performance issues, especially during primetime, but these were corrected by TekSavvy in mid/late November and the problem didn't make the service unusable.

TekSavvy staff were soliciting feedback from their members in order to try to figure out exactly what the problem is the entire time; this is great compared to larger carriers like Rogers, who effectively ignore the online community except for a few token staff.

Good stuff:

- Native IPv6 for DSL customers
- Netflix playback is pretty reliable
- Latency, especially to services like Google, is quite good.

Overall, I'd recommend TekSavvy DSL, especially if you are getting a VDSL2 / FTTN plan.

member for 11.5 years, 991 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

Re:review

Hello there SimplePanda,

We would like to thank you for being a long time customer. We certainly appreciate your review. Should you have any other questions please feel free to either post in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum or call an agent at 1-877-779-1575.

Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
join:2008-06-03

Recent Troubles

Hey SimplePanda,

We appreciate you updating your review and thank you for your patience while we get to the bottom of the DSL slow downs.

Andre
jimbobs

join:2013-11-29
·Worldline.ca

Typical response from resellers

The slow downs are probably due to congestion within the Teksavvy network and unlikely to be attributable to the DSL infrastructure. It always strikes me that resellers are afraid of the incumbent at installation time but then happy to blame them for any issues afterwards.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
·TekSavvy DSL
·Rogers Hi-Speed

Re: Typical response from resellers

said by jimbobs:

Everything is working quite well now.
MacSavvy 0.3a - TekSavvy usage checker for Mac OS X:
»www.codeandstrings.com/apps/macs ··· acsavvy/

Review by ehoni See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Kind customer service, Willing to get the work done"
Bad "Lack of updates, kinda confused"
Overall "Offline again. "

Called to get service on July 26th. Was told that I could have service by the 1st. Line dropped (my fault) and I signed up online. Some hiccups with payment, but that got worked out quickly.

July 31st received modem. Set it up and called in to see if the technician was good to go on the first. Nope. Earliest date is the 6th. No way to move that forward, either. Was informed that I would get daily updates. Received 1 email in the 5 days since, saying that Bell hasn't responded.

I understand that Teksavvy is a the mercy of Bell and their sub-contractors, but a clear channel of communication would be nice. Even if each day the email said "No response from Bell, but we will continue to check with them"

Will update to document my experiences.

August 8: Still no internet. I have been told that my service date was moved from the 1st to the 6th because of vendor delays, and that because of the vendor delays I will have to wait another 5+ days. No one seems to have a handle on when Bell will get off their rears and do something about it.

August 11: Finally Internet. Bell tech came, fixed some issues, then I was online. Those speeds, tho!

January 18: Moving, and someone decided to cut off the service early. Like, 2 weeks early... Not good at all.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Ehoni,

Thank you for the review. We do apologize for any delay with appointments. We are coming into our back to school season and it is our busiest time of year. Our vendors are currently delayed with their technician appointments. We do apologize for this.
In regards to communications if you can post in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct with your account information I can ensure your account manager knows you would like daily updates for your account.

If you can post your account details in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct we can assist you further.

TSI-Ashleigh

TSI Chris K
join:2013-10-25
Hello Ehoni,

Thank you for the updated review.

Glad to hear everything is back online. Feel free to reach out to us anytime!

Thanks,
Chris.

TSI ShawnS
Hello Ehoni,

I am very sorry to hear this.

Please post in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum and we can see what we can do for you.

Shawn S

Review by bryanviper See Profile

• Location: Toronto, CAN
Good "Great ISP in every way"
Bad "Not much...."
Overall "Worth the money great support, great people, Great isp"

Great Isp never had any problems, worth ever penny! Might be a few bucks more but its worth it for their support. I rather give them my money then somebody else who is starting off or to bell/rogers

member for 12.4 years, 3171 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Old Martin
join:2006-02-23

Thanks for the review!

Keep them referrals coming! It's only going to help you down the line!

Martin

bryanviper

join:2002-10-12
Toronto, CAN

Re: Thanks for the review!

Another $2 discount should be applied to my account soon

Review by MacGyver See Profile

• Location: Russell,ON
Good "Great price, no contract, tech support that cares and works hard to solve problems"
Bad "At the mercy of the local telco for installation and repair, expensive service changes"
Overall "Happy to be a Teksavvy customer on IPv6"

I chose Teksavvy for my home phone and internet needs mainly because of the excellent rapport they have built here in the DSLR community.

Submitted my order over the phone, and it sure is nice to start your call by talking to a human being that cares, instead of a machine that wants to know what language of voice mail maze you would prefer. The support reps I've talked to are very knowledgable, and actually have a sense of humor!

August 8th 2009: Received my Teksavvy PPPoE login via email, and it works great. Still have a lot of hurdles to get over, mainly the question of whether I will have any interruption of internet or telephone service as my official switchover date of August 18th approaches.

August 16th 2009: It was only because my PPPoE login for Bell and Teksavvy stopped working that I called TekSavvy and found out two days before my activiation date that Bell rejected my order to transfer services to Teksavvy, for "no apparent reason." Rep restored my PPPoE login immediately. I'm somewhat disappointed I wasn't contacted by Teksavvy as soon as the order was rejected. But, to their credit, Teksavvy jumped on this right away to try and make things right - on a Sunday, no less!

August 26th 2009: There were also issues with switching long distance and local phone to Teksavvy which took a while to sort out what ended up being quite a mess, but it was worth it to be rid of two other overpriced services I had before. Long distance to Germany is 3 cents a minute now!

September 4, 2009. I received my first invoice and there was one small error. One call to Teksavvy, they cancelled the invoice and sent me a new one via email the next day! The "other guys" would have never have issued a corrected invoice, and insist on full payment of the erroneous bill, even if I threatened to cancel. Thanks for realizing the customer is always right!

October 24, 2009: Been with Teksavvy for two full months now, and the service has been rock solid. I'm totally satisfied and contract free!

June 20th 2010: I'm moving. See comment above from August 16, 2009. The exact same thing happened AGAIN. Move order cancelled for no reason, PPPoE login suspended, I only found out about it when I called tech support to find out why my connection was lost... And I haven't even moved yet! I'm extremely disappointed having to deal with this again.

June 25th 2010: Move completed. Services up and running AOK. Long distance wasn't working but one call fixed that. Hold times for tech support are getting longer.

Jan 17 2012: Download speed upgraded to 625 kb/s. But I had to fight to get it.

Mar 15 2012: New monthly package including 75GB for $30 instead of 300GB for $35 (I've never gone over 40 GB so this is perfect for me). Thanks, Teksavvy!

Nov 9 2012: Still happy!

Apr 2013: Price dropped from $29.99 to $26.99! How many companies in this day and age DROP prices for customers?

Oct 2013: Since Teksavvy lowered the Dry Loop Fee to only $5, I decided to dump my POTS service and port my existing number over to VoIP. This would save me about $32 a month. First thing was to activate a new dry DSL service on my second pair so I could have uninterrupted service, since porting my number would cancel all services associated with that number. The new dry DSL service was activated on the date agreed, Oct 18, 2013. Unfortunately with this change I had to pay $50 for a new service and the first month up front.

Nov 2013: My latest invoice had several errors due to all the recent changes I requested in my service, but posting a message in the TekSavvy Direct forum got things corrected in less than 24 hours. The Direct forum is wonderful because I can communicate with my ISP without spending valuable time on the phone.

Jul 2014: Now using IPv6 via DHCP-PD under the TekSavvy IPv6 beta program. Seems to work great so far. I'm very pleased to be a part of this pioneering effort as the available IPv4 addresses are finally starting to dwindle to the point where something has to be done.

Jul 2014: A new DSL modem allowed Teksavvy to tweak my profile to get a bit more upload and download speed. Turns out my new dry line installed in Oct 2013 is actually ADSL2+ vs the old wet ADSL line I had previously.

Jan 2015: Price going up by $3 a month, but I will have 150 GB of download instead of 75 GB. This is appreciated as my kids have discovered Netflix, and I was considering upgrading to a significantly more expensive package to get more GB allowance.

member for 13.4 years, 6380 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Serop

join:2003-06-20

nice timeline!

did not read it all though, but it's good idea to track your experience

Happy

Glad that you are still happy with us and we will continue to make you happy. If there is ever anything we can help you with you know where we are.

Thanks for the review again!

Social Media Relations Team Leader

Old Martin
join:2006-02-23

Your November review

Hello,

Glad to see the Direct Support page was able to help you... Always glad to help you out when ever you need it.

Best Regards,
Martin

1 recommendation

Update

Thanks for updating your review. Happy to see you are enjoying our IPV6!

Review by bligh See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Reliable Service Extra features like static IP's, and subnets are wonderful"
Overall "Recommended"

Speeds have at times fluctuated in the evenings. Unlimited downloading in off peak times is very nice. IPv6 options will be nice when I decide to take the plunge. Overall very happy.

2014.12.31
I don't recall when I wrote my last review but since: Upload upload speeds have increased, they're still not at my package level However I understand, and accept the technical difficulties my distance to the DSLAM, and the infrastructures age present to provide full upload speeds.

My overall bill had gone down in price. Service continues to be reliable, and support very good when needed.

Comments:

JonF

1 recommendation

"Reliable Service Extra features like static IP's, and subn

Hello there,

We are happy that you are happy with the service. When you are ready to take the plunge to IPV6, let us know and we will accommodate you. As it is still in its beta stage, we are currently not charging for it.

Thank you for leaving your review!

Review by MUD See Profile

• Location: Cambridge,ON
Good "Great speeds"
Bad "high latency on fastpath"
Overall "Great service, value etc... overall happy customer."

What package did you order, at what advertised monthly price?
- 2x VDSL 50/10 MLPPP + Static IP @ $140/month

How was the order & install process?
Telecon Tech was quick and very good, replace line at stinger and aerial to home due to noise

What brand/model was the supplied equipment?
2x Flashed SMART RG SR505N with TSI firmware.

What good or bad experiences most struck you?
Only issue I been having is the high latency. I've been a happy customer since 2001.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

review

Hello MUD,

Thank you for the review. Happy to hear your enjoying the service. Happy to hear the technician was efficient. If you are noticing high latency on your connection please message us in the direct forum so we can investigate further. We are always happy to help.

Thank you again for the review.

TSI-Ashleigh

Review by atmx093 See Profile

• Location: Gatineau,QC
Good "Fast, affordable and reliable cable in Quebec. Unbeatable if you have a little background in networking."
Bad "Installation had to be paid upfront. Would have prefered paying AFTER installation like most other companies do."
Overall "Once you're past the sales part which is meh, you're in for some good times. Tech support is A+."

Had a highly unreliable DSL service through TSI, so decided to switch to cable because I was fed up.

Everybody was very friendly, but the sales part was a big letdown. First off, I was never let on that I was going to have to pay for the installation RIGHT NOW otherwise the order wouldn't be placed. I don't like paying for an installation that hasn't even occurred yet and with almost all providers, you pay for the installation AFTER the fact. I believe this practice is in conflict with l'Office de la Protection du Consommateur's rules, but oh well, I was desperate to get off DSL so I swallowed the pill and moved on.

The tech who came to do the install left immediately after the wiring was done. Didn't care that the connection worked or not, he was mandated to leave the premises as soon as wiring was completed. Of course the connection didn't work. He needed to use a splitter which he set up all kinds of wrong. I had to fix the problem myself.

The connection works like a charm, hasn't gone down a single time whereas my DSL by now would have crashed at least 50 times. The best thing? I now pay a little over HALF what I used to pay for my crappy DSL. I'll have my install covered well within a year!

-------------------

As of December 2014, the connection is still working great and apart from router or modem hiccups, I have yet to see it go down. Occasional slowdowns during peak hours, but nothing to complain about. TSI is still #1 for this guy.

Comments:

TSI Alan

Review

Thank you for your feedback.

Our apologies that the pre-pay install policy was not made clear at the time you placed your order, and the onsite tech did not confirm that the connection was operational before leaving. That is not the typical TekSavvy experience we strive to provide for our customers.

Good to hear that the cable connection has proved to be more stable for you.

Let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Regards,
TSI Alan (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee