TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by the6ofpopes See Profile

• Location: 666666
Good "Price"
Bad "Not applicable"
Overall "Quality & great value for money ISP"

I switched to Teksavvy back in early 2007, leaving Bell because of throttling & have not once regretted the move to Teksavvy. I choose the 6/800 300GB DSL package & use my own equipment Speedtouch 516.

I have only used Teksavvy's customer support twice. Once for a connection issue which was resolved by Bell replacing my outside line which had a break in it. The second was to upgrade my package, unfortunately the upgrade I wanted wasn't actually available to me. Bell hasn't upgraded their equipment in my area or the upgraded equipment isn't available to me yet as a non-Bell customer. Not sure which is the case & not worried about it at the moment. In both instances Teksavvy's support was top notch.

I guess you could say my only bad experience was the inability to upgrade my package, which isn't Teksavvy's fault.

My DSL service has been excellent all around, service disruptions are extremely rare. Teksavvy has excelled at improving it's customers experience through many upgrades to mail service, customer support & the tools they offer their customers, such as bandwidth monitoring.

Teksavvy is 5 stars in my book.

Brian from Brantford

Comments:

TSI Kris
join:2013-11-18

Hello Brain,

Thank you for your kind words. We are delighted to hear you are happy with our support! We are continually expanding our services and hope to provide you with a faster package in the future.

Please feel free to reach out to us anytime if you require assistance!

Regards,
Reanne

Review by Devanchya See Profile

• Location: Ajax,ON
Good "Helpful techs, quick install, reliable service"
Bad "web portal from the stone ages"
Overall "Great Canadian ISP"

Came from Bell after 10 years and former employment. Left Bell due to rising prices and continued push from them to go to an limited service.

Overall the transition has been smooth, with Teksavvy handling most of the switch over. Will need to review again in a few months.

member for 10.3 years, 4007 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Chris K
join:2013-10-25

Hi Devanchya,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I'm glad to hear that everything is working perfectly! Looking forward to seeing an updated review in a few months. In the mean time if you have any questions, or concerns. Please feel free to reach out to us anytime via »TekSavvy Direct, we're always more than happy to assist!

Thanks,
Chris.

Review by schwab See Profile

• Location: Lucan,ON
Good "Higher than advertised speed and consistent access"
Bad "Install was confusing"
Overall "WAY BETTER THAN BELL DSL!"

Tried to get Teksavvy Cable but they would not work with local cable company (Quaddro). Had to settle for DSL and a dry loop from Bell (for $5/month) but the service has been awesome. On the DSL 7 plan, and that has been the minimum speed. More often than not, it's around 9-10 MBPS.

Comments:

TSI Alan
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON

Thank You For Your Review!

Hello,

Thank you for your review.

Good to hear the DSL service is working well for you, even if the install process was a little confusing.

Let us know if/when there is anything we can assist you with.

We are always happy to hear from our TekSavvy family members!
TSI Alan (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee
Follow us on Twitter: @TekSavvyCSR; @TekSavvyNetwork

Review by Brano See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "Smooth browsing ;)"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Best ISP I've used so far ;)"

·Bell Fibe
Currently subscribed to 15/10 VDSL2 ($34.99+tax) package.

The service is excellent and there is nothing to complain about.

member for 11.8 years, 7153 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Alan
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON

Thank You For Your Review!

Hello,

Thank you for your review.

Glad to hear you are pleased with the VDSL service. We strive every day to be different in a good way!

Regards,
TSI Alan (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee
Follow us on Twitter: @TekSavvyCSR; @TekSavvyNetwork

Review by ianenc See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Competitive pricing; high usage caps; various mediums to contact customer service."
Bad "Have to wait on Bell to troubleshoot your line on their own schedule."
Overall "TekSavvy is the best option for a Wholesale Internet Service Provider."

TekSavvy DSL offers the better service than what you would get from Bell, and at a fraction of the cost! There are no contracts to deal with either. If Bell has, one way or another, made you upset or frustrated at your internet services, one way to "stick it" to them is to cancel your services and move to TekSavvy.

Customer Support can be reached via telephone, e-mail, DSLReports.com forums, or even on Twitter. From what I can gather, technical support is available 24/7 to help try and understand your issues and bring them to resolution.

The only downside to choosing the 25/10 or 50/10 service with TekSavvy is that you are forced to purchase modems that are compatible with Bell's network. While this may not be the fault of TekSavvy, you are still forced to pay full price for a modem that may be widely regarded as unreliable (*cough* Sagemcom F@st 2864 *cough*). There was talk about the choice to BYOM (Bring Your Own Modem), but I have yet to hear that this option has been put in place (at least, it wasn't available for me).

______________________________

Personal experiences with TekSavvy:

UPDATE: 02/09/2014

Bell sent a technician to look at my line, and ended up having to replace something outside. It turns out he also connected me to a closer remote, which increased my signal.

I'm glad to say there are no more packet loss issues, and the technicians at TekSavvy assisted me in optimizing my profile. I'm a happy customer! Let's hope there are no more line issues (not the fault of TekSavvy).

------------------------------------------

UPDATE: 02/02/2014

I changed my modem after Bell's technician noted it was defected. To date, my sync issues appear to be under control.

Unfortunately, the nightly packet loss issues remain. From my line statistics, this appears to be a physical wiring issue that is an issue with Bell, and not TekSavvy. I will continue to troubleshoot with the techs, and possibly see if Bell can get involved. The fact that the issue is intermittent concerns me that it will be difficult to show the issue to Bell's techs.

Regardless of the above, I am still happy to be with TekSavvy.

------------------------------------------

In late June 2013, I placed an order with TekSavvy for the 25/10 DSL internet service. There was a lot of talk from TekSavvy about BYOM (Bring Your Own Modem), and the posts in the forums from Marc Gaudrault, CEO of TekSavvy, left me with the understanding that BYOM was already being offered.

Unfortunately, the website did not allow you to place any order without purchasing a modem, so I called in to TekSavvy's customer service line for assistance. I spoke to a lovely agent, who was extremely friendly and wanted to be helpful. Alas, the agent was not able to bypass her system to place my order without needing to purchase a modem.

Eight days later in early July, I was up and running. Speed tests were great at low ping rates and full downstream and upstream speeds.

After about a week, there were some DSL sync issues, and I was without internet for about a day or two. The issue appeared to go away on its own, as my services would return without any intervention on my part.

After the big flood we experienced in Mississauga and Toronto in mid-July 2013, my services went down for almost a week. This apparently was an issue that affected many customers. I'm happy to report that TekSavvy did credit my account for the days I was affected (the days reported to customer service, at least).

My connection has been fairly stable afterwards. There were the occasional DSL sync drops for a few hours up to a day, but they all fixed themselves on their own. These issues went unreported because I was far too busy to spend time on the phone going through the same troubleshooting procedures again and again, when the issue was obviously not anything physical within my home.

Cut to the New Year. I began to experience packet loss issues, which resulted in a reduced download speeds. Instead of getting 25Mbps, I was testing 15Mbps if I was lucky. I noticed this was only in the evenings around 7PM, and the issue would go away the next morning around 7AM.

To date, this has yet to be resolved.

On January 25, 2014, I woke up to another DSL no sync issue. The problem was later corrected the next day after a ticket was sent to Bell to address the issue. It turns out that the line to my house is not stable at the speeds I have been paying for for the past six months. It is also noted that the modem I was forced to buy could also be causing problems.

We'll see how this pans out.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello Ianenc,

Thank you for the review. Happy to hear you have been enjoying the service with minimal issue. Happy to see your services were installed quickly for you.

Thanks again for this great review.

TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

Updates

Hello there,

Thanks for keeping us updated here. I'm glad to hear the issue is fully resolved now and that we were able to get better signal/speed in the end as well!

Just remember, should you need anything else, you know where to find us!

Have a great day,
djrokhit

join:2014-02-13
Canada

Teksavvy's mysterious intermittent connection drop continues

I have called Teksavvy twice for tech help and they were great. Except my intermittent DSL (15/1) connection problem has not gone. I have been told to test any telephone jack, test the phone cable, test the modem and do some online test. But there is no solution. When it works, it works great (99% of the time), unfortunately, if you are a gamer even a few seonds of drop costs you a game. I am connected on an ethernet cable so nobody can blame the wireless router.
Don't know what to do. If I ask for the Bell tech to visit me again then it will cost me $90 and then there are no guanrantees because they could say there is an internal wiring problem. I have been with Bell for 5 years and this has not happened. When I signed up with Teksavvy the tech guy didn't even show up so I asked that I am entitled to one free visit but it is not possible as it is more than 3 months now. The Bell guy did what was supposed to be done on the outside (Dry-loop).
Any suggestions? I could buy a new modem (currently Sagemcomm), replace the wire but I should know that this will make a difference.
Please help with some suggestions.

join:2012-07-09

Re: Teksavvy's mysterious intermittent connection drop continues

Hello djrokhit,

Sorry to hear you're having this ongoing issue. We'd be happy to investigate further for you. Could you please post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum and provide us with your account info so we can look into this?

Review by Cubytus See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Exceptionally fast set-up; techies actually HAVE technical knowledge; support of MLPPP; no contract; THEY'RE BILINGUAL !!"
Bad "Expensive for what it is; no faster up&down speeds"
Overall "Excellent ADSL company that's still dependent upon Bell Canada's disgusting wholesale practices"

·Vonage
·Skype
When I ordered a dry DSL line, I was expecting like 3 weeks of downtime, but got an appointment for 4 days later. Bell's tech actually came, spending every minute trying to sell me Bell's service as the best in the world, and such. He did his work and went away. An hour later, I had unstable DSL I tried to troubleshoot on my own with DSL Modem Tool for a few days. As every hypothesis failed to verify, a quick call to Teksavvy's tech service revealed that Bell has connected my line to a wrong port, and the techie assured me that this was very common, and would be solved the following day, and advised me to keep my modem off so as to have an easier transition. The fact is they couldn't find my modem remotely.

The following day, I unplugged the modem before going to work, and plugged it back, nor it was syncing at full speed. Problem solved, I placed a call to Tek to confirm it was working.

So far, no problem syncing in MLPPP and a Tomato-equipped WRT54GL; it can take anywhere between a minute and ten, but as DSL is not intended to go offline, that's not really an issue.

I wish they could provide lower prices, but the techie revealed that Bell sold ADSL at a wholesale price of $35 for ADSL+no caps+band was nearing 35$, while they sell it 40$ before taxes. Overall, since the transition to all-digital lines that Bell finally undertook, prices have been lowered slightly, and more important, higher speeds and ADSL2+ has finally became available. So for only $5 more, I tripled my download speed from the now-legacy 6/800k connection. The lack of competition being what it is, I pay significantly more than Ontario residents for the same service. The caps is not really unlimited, but "partially-unlimited", giving 300GB daytime, and unlimited night-time.

Alternatively, faster upload speeds would be a godsend, as this is technically possible.

Clearly, Bell is the reason why ADSL service has a so poor performance/price ratio here in Montreal (as well as Vide*tron exceedingly poor retail and wholesale customer policy), and the CRTC should do his job by forcing them to rent their network at decent prices to allow competitors to be just that, competitive.

Now, Teksavvy does take other means of payment than traditional credit cards. They could take PayPal, at least, and online Interac would be a big plus. I also listed the "no contract" thing as a good point, even if every serious ISP now doesn't force you in a contract with stiff penalty on cancellation.

Comments:

TSI Keith

Your Review

Hello Cubytus,

Thank you for your review and taking the time to provide this feedback. Sorry to hear there was a bit of a hiccup with the start-up but I'm glad to hear it was resolved in a timely manner for you!

We are always working to improve situations with our Vendors and while it's true this type of error isn't exactly rare, they are typically pretty quick in correcting it for us so that's excellent

Just a friendly reminder, if the 300GB during the day gets a bit tight we do offer fully unlimited packages as well.

I have personally seen quite a few inquiries in regards to us possibly excepting PayPal (though this is the first suggestion of online Interac I've come across). I have no idea the probability of something like this becoming a reality, but I'll certainly pass the suggestions on.

Thanks again!
Cubytus

join:2007-08-24
·TekSavvy DSL
·Vonage
·Skype

Re: Your Review

Well Keith this review has been updated slightly from the first I posted years ago when subscribing. I think I drew enough attention on the fact that Tek is entirely dependent on incumbents' good will to connect its customers.

That I repeated countless times to friends of mine who wanted a cable connection, as Videotron is notorious for being an a$$hole to its wholesale customers (one actually cancelled installation after installation has been repeatedly put off for WEEKS, despite my strong advice to go DSL. They basically wanted Tek's deals with incumbents not to have any impact on the end customer). I can't know for other provinces, but in Quebec, I never advise anyone to go cable, either through the incumbent or through Teksavvy. Other independent ISPs have simply stopped offering cable internet access due to those constraints. So many people don't seem to know who TSI is here. I can tell that many of them are interested by the incumbent's counterstrike of offering unlimited internet when bought in a package. I'd be glad to have something to say in regards to multi-services if ever TSI goes down that road. I assume that it's currently not competitive to offer services the European way (unlimited Internet+VoIP+unlimited calls to many countries+TV+public hostspot).

300GB isn't tight currently, as I schedule my usage to be mostly night-time. Granted, it's not always easy to keep track of precise usage as this measuring method is seldom used among ISPs. I also want to add that band rate have been flattened, contributing to the overall lower price.

Only taking credit cards may not be a problem anymore since some banks do issue Visa-compatible cards that directly link to an account.

Review by MacGyver See Profile

• Location: Russell,ON
Good "Great price, no contract, tech support that cares and works hard to solve problems"
Bad "You are still at the mercy of the local telco for installation and repair"
Overall "Happy to be a Teksavvy customer"

I chose Teksavvy for my home phone and internet needs mainly because of the excellent rapport they have built here in the DSLR community.

Submitted my order over the phone, and it sure is nice to start your call by talking to a human being that cares, instead of a machine that wants to know what language of voice mail maze you would prefer. The support reps I've talked to are very knowledgable, and actually have a sense of humor!

August 8th 2009: Received my Teksavvy PPPoE login via email, and it works great. Still have a lot of hurdles to get over, mainly the question of whether I will have any interruption of internet or telephone service as my official switchover date of August 18th approaches.

August 16th 2009: It was only because my PPPoE login for Bell and Teksavvy stopped working that I called TekSavvy and found out two days before my activiation date that Bell rejected my order to transfer services to Teksavvy, for "no apparent reason." Rep restored my PPPoE login immediately. I'm somewhat disappointed I wasn't contacted by Teksavvy as soon as the order was rejected. But, to their credit, Teksavvy jumped on this right away to try and make things right - on a Sunday, no less!

August 26th 2009: There were also issues with switching long distance and local phone to Teksavvy which took a while to sort out what ended up being quite a mess, but it was worth it to be rid of two other overpriced services I had before. Long distance to Germany is 3 cents a minute now!

September 4, 2009. I received my first invoice and there was one small error. One call to Teksavvy, they cancelled the invoice and sent me a new one via email the next day! The "other guys" would have never have issued a corrected invoice, and insist on full payment of the erroneous bill, even if I threatened to cancel. Thanks for realizing the customer is always right!

October 24, 2009: Been with Teksavvy for two full months now, and the service has been rock solid. I'm totally satisfied and contract free!

June 20th 2010: I'm moving. See comment above from August 16, 2009. The exact same thing happened AGAIN. Move order cancelled for no reason, PPPoE login suspended, I only found out about it when I called tech support to find out why my connection was lost... And I haven't even moved yet! I'm extremely disappointed having to deal with this again.

June 25th 2010: Move completed. Services up and running AOK. Long distance wasn't working but one call fixed that. Hold times for tech support are getting longer.

Jan 17 2012: Download speed upgraded to 625 kb/s. But I had to fight to get it.

Mar 15 2012: New monthly package including 75GB for $30 instead of 300GB for $35 (I've never gone over 40 GB so this is perfect for me). Thanks, Teksavvy!

Nov 9 2012: Still happy!

Apr 2013: Price dropped from $29.99 to $26.99! How many companies in this day and age DROP prices for customers?

Oct 2013: Since Teksavvy lowered the Dry Loop Fee to only $5, I decided to dump my POTS service and port my existing number over to VoIP. This would save me about $32 a month. First thing was to activate a new dry DSL service on my second pair so I could have uninterrupted service, since porting my number would cancel all services associated with that number. The new dry DSL service was activated on the date agreed, Oct 18, 2013.

Nov 2013: My latest invoice had several errors due to all the recent changes I requested in my service, but posting a message in the TekSavvy Direct forum got things corrected in less than 24 hours. The Direct forum is wonderful because I can communicate with my ISP without spending valuable time on the phone.

member for 12.5 years, 5850 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Serop

join:2003-06-20

nice timeline!

did not read it all though, but it's good idea to track your experience

TSI Jonathan
join:2011-08-24
canada

Happy

Glad that you are still happy with us and we will continue to make you happy. If there is ever anything we can help you with you know where we are.

Thanks for the review again!

TSI Jonathan
Social Media Relations Team Leader
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Your November review

Hello,

Glad to see the Direct Support page was able to help you... Always glad to help you out when ever you need it.

Best Regards,
Martin

Review by Rastan See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Stable connection, affordable, very good tech support."
Bad "At times, Teksavvy is at Bell's mercy since Teksavvy is a Bell wholesaler."
Overall "Very good ISP that does business differently than the big ISP's."

I'm paying $29.95/month + tax for a 5M/800k connection that has a 200GB/month cap. I'm not happy about the cap, but at least it's reasonable unlike the cap from Bell or Rogers.

My Internet connection has been stable. There have been a few issues but Teksavvy resolves them quickly. They are also open and honest and will inform their customers (on the Teksavvy forum on this Website) about issues they are having.

I've had to call them a few times to clear up a billing error they made and because I had a few technical questions. I really like the fact that they don't follow a script. They don't call me "Sir" 50 times and they don't use canned phrases such as, "I apologize for the inconvenience" when it's clear they don't really mean it and they are forced to say it.

I can't stress this point enough. I dislike insincerity and dishonesty and I think that employees who work at companies such as Bell and Rogers are more likely to lie to customers because they become too accustomed to being insincere, because they are forced to follow a script and say things they don't mean. The employees at Teksavvy are polite, knowledgeable and helpful and it seems that management at Teksavvy understands that sincerity is better than phoniness.

The transition from Bell to Teksavvy was smooth and credit for that goes to Bell as well as Teksavvy. I promote Teksavvy to my family and friends and hope they continue to be a great ISP in the future.

Update: 05/16/10

I've now been with Teksavvy for close to 2 years. Their service continues to be very good and downtime has been minimal. I still highly recommend them.

Update: 10/05/10

I slightly lowered my rating. My connection dropped and it appears that Bell lowered my profile. I wasn't able to get much assistance from Teksavvy.

Update: 09/24/11

My rating is unchanged. My profile is still lower due to Bell moving my line card to a different remote but my connection is stable and I haven't had any other problems.

Update: 11/08/12

I slightly raised my rating because, aside from a few minor problems, my connection has been very stable. I'm now paying $34.99/month + tax for a 5M/800k connection that has a 300GB/month cap.

Update: 02/02/14

I once again slightly raised my rating because the service has been very good. I'm now paying $32.99/month + tax for a 5M/800k connection that has a 300GB/month cap.

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Thanks for you review

Thanks for writing a review of our service.

Glad all is working for you & that you are satisfied with the service.

Martin

Review by stewart1 See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Excellant"
Bad "Nothing "
Overall "Good"

I have my own modem , it's a Thomson TG 585 V7. This is one of the reasons i went with Teksavvy .

Comments:

TSI Kris
join:2013-11-18

Hello stewart1,

Thank you for your review. I also see that you've recently posted on the public forum about your elation to join up on dslreports.com. Please let us know if there is every anything we can help with and welcome to the Teksavvy family!

All the best,
Reanne

Review by crowbarone See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "So far seems OK "
Bad "No help for issues "
Overall "Stay Away"

It's the best you can expect for the money . Very happy with the Home phone service , but don't expect any help !

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello,

Thank you for the review. Happy to see you are were enjoying the service. If your having an issue please let us know so we can assist you further.

Thanks again