TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by ulimetic See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "When it works, it works well... for a bit"
Bad "Disconnect all the time, poor service"
Overall "Not sure what to think of them anymore..."

This has been very frustrating. Here's my story, this happened over the last 1.5 years.

Fresh move to a new apt. No previous phone line so I have to get the dry loop and BELL to install a phone plug. Started out with the SAGECOM modem bridged to a E2000 on DDWRT, everything worked out fine for a while, then I started having more and more disconnections. Called support many times, to have me tested the exact same thing over and over again : put down your network and just connect the modem to a computer. Does it work? Yes but I never said it wasn't connecting, it just doesn't stay up. But "as this work and you are using a bridged configuration, we can't help you further because it can be a bridge issue and we don't support bridged connection, if you can connect to internet straight from the router, our job is done". Then goes the usual 'speed test' from speedtest.net which give the expected results (of course I just reconnected and it will take 20 min before it goes down again). Then they recommended to go for a SMART RG505 modem since it was more suited for bridged connection. I ended up buying the modem, and a brand new router so I'm sure my old router isn't the issue. Plugged everything back, worked for a while. One morning I wake up, no more internet connection. I call support, we test my PPOE acount @teksavvy.com and it doesn't work any more for an obscure reasons. Teksavvy then creates a new account @pppoe.ca instead of @teksavvy.com. Now I can get back online but everything is wrong, since I have a static IP and well, the new account wasn't linked to my static IP. Call back to have that changed to my static IP. Now everything is back to "normal", I have access to the internet but it drops every 20 min or so. Call back Teksavvy, I get told that it might be because my modem power supply is connected to a power bar. I use professional grade UPS's with monitoring (which gives a way better electrical wave than straight out of the wall). The gentleman (who was very nice I should mention) asked me if the internet light on my modem is on. It is not, which from his saying is not normal. Asks me what modem I have, told him SmartRG505. Then he goes, people usually don't bridge that modem, you are one of the few (I think he said we were 2!! to have it in bridge mode). But I was told to go for this modem instead because the SAGECOM wasn't suited ?? He says their 'tool' to check the quality of the connection is down, can't check it out. Ask me to do the whole 'put your network down again test the modem' which I refused (did this like 4 times already with support). What's left for me is to take a chance and bring people down here to check the connection at the splitter, and if it isn't faulty, I would have to pay 87.50 or something for the job. I just gave up at this point and just keep getting f'ed in the a every time my network goes down. Never had issues with cable, should have gone with cable but I couldn't get static IP and cable, DSL with Teksavvy is a nightmare so far...

UPDATE:

After some direct investigation from the TSI team, with the right information, I was able to find the issues with my connection, which was on my end. The many actors and confusing made it hard to track, but when I finally got to speak to the right person, my issues was solved in a matter of hours. I should have gone for the forums right away. So both Teksavvy and I had issues on this one but in the end, it is solved.

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Your Review

Hello,

What you are describing doesn't seem like the experience we strive to provide. Terribly sorry to hear what you have gone through. I agree that getting disconnected 20mins after you have reconnected isn't' exactly what should be happening. Far from that for that matter. That all said, I would be greatly interested in looking at your account to see what was done, if any coaching opportunities should be created & what I can do to resolve you issue once & for all.

As for the SmartRG modem not being in Bridge mode by more then 2 people is completely false. I would say that most people get the SmartRG to actually be able to do proper bridge on VDSL services.

If you could please post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum, it would be our great pleasure to look into this.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, we will be more than happy to address those as well.

Best Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyBuzz ; @TekSavvyNetwork ; @TekSavvyCSR
ulimetic

join:2013-10-17

Re: Your Review

Martin, thanks for the quick reply. I will copy/paste that in the other forum as well as my CID so you can check it out.

Re: Your Review

Hello Ulimetic,

Thank you for your update. I am very happy you were able to speak to an agent and your service is working normally now. This is great to see.

Thank you for the update and if you have any further questions we can always be reached in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

Regards,
TSI-Ashleigh

Review by Phibian See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Excellent customer service, cutting edge services (MLPPP), reasonable prices"
Overall "Best ISP I've found so far"

Upgrading to a dual (MLPPP) 25/10 DSL connection. Lots of time on the phone getting it all sorted out but that was mainly because of the complexity of my setup. No issues upgrading lines so far and wow is 25/10 fast! Combined I'm getting 50/20. Also worth noting that TSI support was so friendly it was amazing. Also they've now dropped the price more than once and increased the caps and speed!

member for 5.2 years, 1203 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

Re: Review

Hello Phibian,

Thank you for your review!

Upgrading to a dual (MLPPP) 25/10 DSL connection is a big feat . A lot of preparation is involved. It is all worth while knowing that you will get a 50/20 connection in the end. If you have any questions or require assistance please feel free to either post in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum or call an agent at 1-877-779-1575.

Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Review by Cloneman See Profile

• Location: Montreal
Good "Great company, great overall service."
Bad "Sometimes handcuffed by poor CRTC regulation."
Overall "If your inside phone wiring is clean, they are a good choice."

·Bell Fibe
Teksavvy DSL is a strong company with very good praise in Canada - one of the best choices you can make.

Unfortunately their ability to provide even better service is limited by CRTC regulation - at the time of review there's a hefty 100$ fee to signup for the higher speed tiers, and forced modem rental for VDSL. There are also numerous unfair advantages Bell maintains for its own customers, such as repairing indoor problems for free for some of their customers, or providing a free dry loop.

For some customers who have problems with inside wire, it may be best to bite the bullet with an evil incumbent ISP, like bell, which potentially can serve them better should they require work to be done inside the home. 15/10 VDSL is currently 15$ cheaper with Bell if you don't need teksavvy's 300gb advantage.

member for 12 years, 1418 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI ShawnS
Chatham, ON

RE:Review of TekSavvy DSL (DSL)

Hello Cloneman,

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your feedback.

While we do have limitations under the current CRTC regulations, we are always working to make sure that things change for the better for all independent ISP’s and our customers. We are working on the issue of the modem rental on the 25m service and hopefully things will change.

Thank you.

TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe

updated review

Since my review, the landscape has changed a little bit. Services like 15/10 are now available at teksavvy and their price is competitive with Bell. CRTC drama has lessened, install fees have been reduced to 50$, and customers can now bring their own modem for VDSL service.

My usual caveat is to insist that the installer setup a POTS splitter to avoid line/noise problems later on.

And, if you need an internet connection for a few months only, it is still sometimes cheaper to go with one of the big evil providers, as they have promotions that include hardware and installation.

Review by shawn_on_ca See Profile

• Location: Markham,ON
Good "Small well run company that seems to care about its customers."
Bad "Too bad that Teksavvy does not have last mile connectivity to directly compete with the incumbent ISPs."
Overall "Very good value for money."

15/10 VDSL package.
Install was done by Bell Canada technician.
Using teksavvy-supplied SmartRG modem

Comments:

TSILiz
join:2012-08-20

Response

Hey Shawn-

Were you trying to leave a review or do you have a question of some sort? We appreciate the clarification

Cheers
Liz

Hey Shawn!

Glad to hear the service is working great for you! Glad to have you on board. Please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions or run into any issues!

Enjoy the 'net!

Kris

Review by Alittlegreen See Profile

• Location: Montreal, QC
Good "The Gold Standard in ISP customer care. Unltd 2-8am download. Very competent staff"
Bad "Due to legislation, an incumbent tech must do the site install."
Overall "SuperStar service! Great rates! Genuinely a co. that does the right thing!"

·Future Nine Corp..
We've been proud TSI customers for years. Proud of the path the company has taken. From the Net-Neutrality rally days, to the way they've handled the whole Voltage situation (among other things).

Through the years, we've had a few of our family members, friends, and co-workers come over to the TSI camp. And with every new person joining, came more complements and thank yous. Even in cases when there were initial difficulties (during on-site installation), TSI managed to handle the situation in a way that quickly resolved the issue.

In our particular case, we’ve had the home POTS/PSTN phone & DSL since '08. Up until recently he had the legacy 6M/0.8. Service has always been solid. In the early days we used to get emails about planned outages that would happen over night for 1/2 hour or so for system upgrades, but we haven't seen this in years. Like I said, service is rock solid and haven't seen any downtime in forever and a day.

And most importantly, based on my personal experience, and on the one our extended family has been getting, TSI is the Gold standard when it comes to doing the right thing. The Gold standard in customer care. The Gold standard in tech support as well.

They kind of make me think of the golden day of Saturn. Remember that car company?... "We're a different kind of car". They were a car company that greeted their customers like family. they used to have big bbq days too. ...Minus all of the GM drama of course.

Anyhow, at the risk of sounding like a fanboy; If you're looking for an ISP, and clearly you are if you're reading this, I just can't say enough good things about them. Give them a try. You'll be pleasantly surprised. They're very accessible, and they do follow through with what's promised.-Again, this is purely based on My, My extended family, and My co-workers input.

Best of luck on your search!

and keep up the great work TSI!

Comments:

TSILiz
join:2012-08-20

Response.

Hello There!

Thank you so much for taking the time to make this review and we're so happy to see that you're happy with the service. We really do pride ourselves on our customer's satisfaction so when we receive this kind of feedback it's extremely motivating to keep continually improving our service while always thinking of the customer first.

Again thank you for your support and feel free to reach out to us anytime!

Have a great weekend,
Liz
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

"Not all those who wander are lost."

Review by reiyu See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Stable connection! Great 15/10 connection for $39.99+tax!"
Bad "Phone support and TSI's custom firmware for the SR505N modem causes problems."
Overall "Buy the modem from outside, then sign up for TSI!"

Background info:

Been with Bell for the longest time on 25/10 with my family. Decided to get my own place, and picked TSI for their good reviews. Also picked up another Sagemcom so I don't have to buy them from TSI.

Day 1:

Installation was on time, DSL synced. Speed tested, and got 15/7. Phoned TSI and they told me 7 was the max I can get. I know it's a lie since I know people in my neighborhood that get full 10 upload. Phoned again and finally they changed my profile to 15/10.

Couple of days later:

Apparently my Sagemcom modem is a victim of the dreaded sync-no-surf issue. Luckily the SR505N was being sold by TSI already, then I bought one. When I got my SR505N modem, it was already pre-configured and all was needed to be done was plug it in.

Couple of more days later:

SR505N crashes randomly. Phoned TSI, I just told them my modem keeps dying, and with just a few non-technical questions, they are sending me a new modem. Was hoping they had more diagnostics that they can say over the phone, but maybe I just had a bad modem. Modem came, same problems happened. Finally found dslreports.com, posted in TSI's direct forum instead of phoning, I HAD GREAT SUPPORT. I was told to update the firmware and the configuration file, but the problem still persists. I was also told to monitor the modem through the logs, but whenever the modem dies, the logs are erased. I setup an external syslog server, and found out that this problem was caused by UPnP. Turned off UPnP and it does not stop there, apparently if you have IPv4 to IPv6 tunnels in your network (Windows 8 has this enabled by default with ISATAP and Teredo) and you have IPv6 DHCP disabled, modem goes bonkers looking for the subnet of that IPv6 address. Found the root of the problem, and also found a solution. Month ended and I was charged a restocking fee for the modem since they "did not" find a problem with the modem. Since I was working hand in hand with TSI to troubleshoot my problem in the direct forum, support knows that the firmware does have a problem and the restocking fee was waived.

Solution:

»Re: [DSL] SmartRG appears to power cycle itself

As of today after this fix, my modem has been up by 59 days. Would have been longer, but I had to unplug the modem at one point when I had to arrange my stuff.

A month later:

ZTC arrived, which basically throttles your connection from 20:00-00:00 but you get unlimited usage in return. This was an awesome move! I had problems with ZTC when it started, higher pings and unstable connection, and just when I was going to post in the direct forum, the issue was fixed, so hurrah! It would be nice if they had more leeway to start ZTC. Apparently you have to turn it on by the 1st of the month, if not, you'd be paying overages. Would have been nice if they enable you to turn it on anytime on the first week instead.

Bottom line:

Don't even bother calling phone support. Just post in the direct forum as they are more helpful. If ever the direct forum doesn't help that much, post in the public forum as some other people might have encountered the same problems before and they're willing to help as well. Connection is awesomely stable if you did the fix that I posted. Never had any problems ever since.

Keep up the good work, TSI!

member for 237 days, 288 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Reiyu,

Thank you very much for the great review. I am happy you have been enjoying the service for a while now.

Thank you very for much for the online support compliments we certainly do appreciate it. I am glad we were able to assist you with your new SmartRG modem.

If you have any further questions or concerns please let us know through the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. Thank you again for this review.

Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

Review by Bugblndr See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "Fast upload/download with a big cap"
Bad "25/10 service ordered, only 7.5 up received due to distance"
Overall "Great DSL bang for the buck service"

·TekSavvy Cable
I've had their 25/10 service for 6 months now. Installation was straight forward, though I never saw any technicians, not really an issue as I already had my modem and a POTS splitter.

Service has been 100% reliable since day 1, unfortunately I can only get 7.5 Mb/s upstream due to the distance I am from the remote.

The upcoming price drops and opportunity to purchase a modem will make this service a very good deal.

member for 4.5 years, 2029 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Marty

Your Review

Thank you for your review.

We're ecstatic your enjoying your services and its great to have you on the TekSavvy team.

Thank you again for the great review, your feedback is appreciated.

Review by Felldoh See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Excellent customer service, consistent speeds, forum help support, short hold times for phoning in"
Bad "Took 5 additional days to get my internet activated, high starting cost"
Overall "Switch to Teksavvy, the starting costs might put you off but once you look past it you are getting great services for the value!"

I ordered the 25/10 DSL internet package with the 300 GB cap for $39.99 monthly. What I like about Teksavvy is they give their customers an option to rent-to-own their modems since paying for the modem fully could put off some customers. I chose to rent-to-own my modem and have to pay an additional $14 for an additional 5 months to fully pay off my modem ($53.99 before taxes for my internet services). After this 5 month period I will be paying only $45.19 for my DSL internet services. I am happy that I didn't need to go with the unlimited package but it is great that there is an option to do so, I feel that the 300 GB cap is plenty enough for my family's needs as well as for many other Teksavvy customers who chose the 300 GB cap option. I am using a third party home phone provider for my home phone since Teksavvy Traditional Home Phone wasn't available in my area so all I had to do was provide my circuit number to Teksavvy and now my home phone is working great with Teksavvy's DSL internet services with no problems being reported at all.

The order process went really smoothly, I received my modem in the mail very quick with tracking info was supplied via email. The customer sales representatives were very kind, and were very coherent with the details in regarding my order. On the installation side I was a bit disappointed that I was told my internet would be activated on a Saturday but I ended up waiting until Thursday (5 full days) to be fully up and running. Well I can't really put the blame on Teksavvy since it was the Bell technician who was hired to do the job failing to get my internet activated. Even during that downtime when I called Teksavvy tech-support the Teksavvy technicians were very great in helping me troubleshoot the problem even though it wasn't resolved that way, what happened was another ticket had to be pushed to get another technician to fix my internet. I was told that the downtime is going to be credited on my next invoice.

Overall my first impressions with the services are great and what I love a lot is the value I'm getting for the services that are being offered to me! What I also highly like is the decent wait times I have when calling in to Teksavvy Support (I've had ridiculous wait times of over an hour with a previous ISP but with Teksavvy it has been always under 20 minutes so far). The Teksavvy Direct forum is also great in getting Teksavvy representatives respond to us customers' problems. I had an issue where my upload speed was only reaching close to 8 mB when I was supposed to be getting up to 10 mB, and after messaging about it on the forum a Teksavvy representative found out my profile was showing 25/8 when it was supposed to be 25/10 and got it resolved remotely and now my upload speed is where it should be and my ping is even better (went from 16ms to 6ms). The speeds are great and consistent, and the modem supplied which is a Smart RG sr505n is better than the ones I have received from previous ISPs (the wireless signal is also strong throughout my townhouse).

All I have to say is that it has been a great experience and I'm happy I made the switch!

Thank you Teksavvy for your support and help through my order process!

Comments:

TSI Kris

Hi there Felldoh!

Thanks for your glowing review! We do apologize for the delayed installation but we're ecstatic that you're so happy with the service now that it's up and running fully! Please don't ever hesitate to reach out to us if you need anything.

Best regards,

Review by vkh_76 See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Exceptional price and reliable"
Bad "So far it's hard to find something bad"
Overall "I should of made the switch a long time ago!"

My wife and I got tired of Bell and the service they provide to rural resident of Ontario; and knowing, last August, that we were going to move to our new house I needed to find a solution to our internet provider. Here came a good friend of mine who suggested the third party internet provider Teksavvy. At first I was very skeptic, being that Teksavvy was pretty much piggybacking on the Bell infrastructure (well my region anyway) and I wasn't sure how this would all work at the end? Well, let me tell you, all I have to say is... Being with this service now for 6 months, nothing went wrong so far. From the beginning Teksavvy has been nothing but professional, more than Bell anyway. The installation and the first few days I did experience issues with the connection, however when ask for support, Teksavvy ensured that the problem was resolved as fast a possible. Ever since these first couple of days, I have nothing bad to say about the service. When ask to rate Teksavvy by using the 6 voting buttons, I would have rate them to the max, however, I know that in real life that nothing is perfect, therefore I had to be objective and give them close to perfection. I would recommend this company to anyone I know... Just the prices are enough for anyone to make the switch! (loll)

Comments:
matmat09

join:2014-04-26
Vanier, ON

Teksavvy

You can't beet teksavvy. Best price unmatched service. If your tired of paying high bills like we were then you will be very happy with teksavvy prices.

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Thanks for you review

Very glad to hear you have been able to enjoy your service issue free for the past 6 months.

If you encounter any issues at anytime or you have any concerns, please, by all means, don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Review by OrionOps See Profile

• Location: Kanata,ON
Good "Great price, fast turnaround, ENGLISH techs"
Bad "Hope you don't have ANY problems, initial costs"
Overall "Great...if you have no problems..."

I've had TSI for a few months now and thought it was a good time for a review.

I switched over from Rogers. What initially !@#$%ed me off about Rogers was they never told me about hidden costs increases when cancelling services other than internet. On top of the $60 they charged me for internet, I was paying $10 for unlimited. I had to start cutting costs, so I cancelled TV, I can watch what I want online, then I cancelled my home phone since I didnt need it. Imagine my surprise when my bill comes in at $90 for the internet.

The $10 extra for unlimited only counts if you have 3 or more services. Otherwise it's $30. I flat out told them, either bring it back down or I leave. Well we know how that turned out. I also cancelled my cell phone service out of spite. Helloooo Wind Mobile.

I had actually been looking to switch to TSI for years, but it had never been available at decent speeds in my area until recently.

The switch was easy, called Rogers, told them to shove it. Called TSI and told them Rogers was cancelling in 30 days. Since I was already with Rogers, a tech didn't need to come out. On the day it was being switched, I just switched my modem and it worked.

300GB per month is fine. I tried my hardest to actually hit it, even downloaded a 134GB file. Still barely hit it one month. So I don't know what people who order unlimited are doing to need that much bandwidth.

I've had problems where I had to reboot the modem but other than that it's been working great.

There was also a problem with my order at first, ordered an open box modem but invoice charged full price, quick fix. The woman on the phone made a simple mistake, it was midnight on a friday. Don't ask why I was ordering internet at midnight on a friday.

The only other downside I can see are the initial costs.

Other than that, been going well. One thing I forgot...THE TECH CAN SPEAK ENGLISH and the CEO actually posts in the forums!!!! Holy hell did anyone see that pig fly?! He was doing an aerial acrobat number with the pink elephant.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am updating this review in light of adding a second address to my account which was described here:
»Extremely Poor Communication between Teksavvy and Rogers

Basically, as long as you have no problems EVER with the service that requires a Rogers tech to be sent out, you will be fine.

If there are problems...well...you'll become an alcoholic from all the stress. Rogers seems to refuse to help Teksavvy in any quick manner, even when Rogers themselves screw up, all Teksavvy can do it email them and wait up to 48h.

Please Teksavvy, for the love of god do something about your communication with Rogers.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello OrionOps,

Thank you for the wonderful and funny review. I’m very happy to see you are enjoying the service. I’m also happy to see your enjoying the support available to you on DSLr. I’m glad your installation went smoothly and you’re enjoying the very high bandwidth caps.

Please continue to update us on your connection and if you have any questions or concerns we can always be reached through the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

Thanks again
TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

Hi there OrionOps!

Thanks for updating your review! I'm sorry about the issues you ran into, though I am glad that in the end it all got resolved by the looks of things. We're always striving to make things as smooth as possible for our customers and we're hoping that in the future you - or anyone else for that matter - won't have to deal with delays and complications that stem from internal processes, whether it be between just us or between us and our vendors. Sometimes it takes time to get to that point, but we're working towards it!

Glad you're enjoying the service otherwise though! We hope it's keeping up with all you need it for.

Best regards,