TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by benp45 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Not too expensive, works ok when it does"
Bad "Very poor service, everything depends on Bell"
Overall "Only worth it if you're willing to spend lots of time waiting after people who don't seem to care too much."

With Teksavvy's DSL service, everything depends on Bell should there be any technical problem. Problem is, not only does that take way too long before Teksavvy actually contacts Bell, but on top of that you're left with a 90$ fee should the problem be "on your end" (and who decides that, I wonder.)

Long story short, we were left without a connection for a few days and no one really seemed to care about it being re-established asap.

Comments:

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
join:2008-06-03

Hi Ben,

Thank you for posting a review. I am sad to see that you felt that no one on our end cared enough to fix your issue in a speedy fashion. We certainly do try to resolve issues as quickly as possible.

We perform troubleshooting as many issues can be resolved without the need of the incumbent on premise technician. Doing so also ensures that we cover all bases before a ticket is open as our vendors will bill us a Diagnostic fee if the issue is found to be on your end.

We do have some customers that don't care for the in the middle however it is always in the best interest of the customer that troubleshooting be performed.

I am not telling you this because I think you didn't do troubleshooting, I am saying this because many people find it to be unnecessary however it is warranted, and unfortunately does add some time (usually less than 30 minutes) to get the ball rolling.

If you could please post in the Direct forum, we would like to find out what happened on our side and where we can make things better.

Please reply here once you have done so and I will ask one of my teammates to investigate.

EDIT: You seem to have giving us a poor rating for pre-sales and coordination for the installation however you have only provided details for a repair call. Can you please elaborate or rate as N/A for those categories?

Cheers,

Andre
Director of Online & Operations Intelligence

TekSavvy Website | Follow Me on Twitter (@AndreCleroux)

Review by Progenator8 See Profile

• Location: Kelowna,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Unlimited, Cheaper and No Contract."
Bad "Initial fees, took a little while to get full speeds. Not able to show Usage for me."
Overall "Worth it"

For about $10-15 less a month I am getting 25 Mbps down and 6.09 Mbps upload and unlimited downloads..yes more upload than listed on the plan. I used Speedtest.net for the tests. The speeds also happen 'real world', such as when I bit torrent a Linux ISO.

The initial fees where pretty heavy in my opinion at $337 total, but now I will save money since I bought the ZyXel Modem.

When I received the modem I just followed the simple instructions and waited for the Telus Tech to come by and hook it up. The appointment was timely and quick but it did take two weeks to get the tech in...that is pretty standard for this area though. I have dealt with Teksavvy before in Barrie Ontario and always found the Tech Support good.

For the first couple of weeks the internet was slow at about 6 Mbps down and 2 up, but things seemed to have been resolved without me doing anything...I was too busy to prioritize this as important enough. Also I am not able to view my Usage through the Teksavvy Customer Portal, the page says that a problem has been encountered and to call instead for my usage. Nope.

Bottom line I am quite satisfied with the superior service/product that costs less and does not bind me into a lengthy contract.

It was a bit touchy at first but now six weeks in I am satisfied.

Comments:

TSI Jonathan
join:2011-08-24
canada

Hello Progenator8,

Thank you for the review! To answer your question about usage, we are still working on integrating usage into the MyAccount portal for our customers on Telus. If you do get curious, you don't need to call in if you don't want to. You can always drop us a quick message in the direct forum here on DSLr or on any of our other Social Media channels.

Thanks again and happy surfing!

Cheers,

Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Review by Raphael See Profile

• Location: Saint-Lambert,QC
Bad "I do not recommend Teksavvy at all"
Overall "Alot of problems from the first day"

I ordered 15 Mbps Down / 10 Mbps Up with Teksavvy. They sent me a Bell technician after 9 days of payment in the morning. The technician worked for more than 3 hours and then he left my flat without internet service to be worked on Teksavvy modem (His Bell modem was working perfectly). when I called Teksavvy they told me please wait for the activation of your service and it will take 24 hours. So, that is the first complain because they told me before signing with them that the service will work with me when the technician comes.

At night, the service worked but with speed of 15 Mbps Down / 1 Mbps Up. So, this is the second complain. I paid for 10 Mbps Up not for 1 Mbps Up. I made alot of calls with them to solve the problem with no solution.

The next day, the service disconnected. So, this is the third complain with alot of calls.

Now the actual speed is 7 Mbps Down / 1 Mbps Up for now (of course I made all the tests without making any other activity over the internet). So, this is the fourth complain.

I tested the speed for several times on several sites and I attached it. I really want to refund my money but they said "no we can not refund your money"!!!!

I do not recommend Teksavvy at all.

Comments:

oceros

join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON
·Rogers Hi-Speed

2 edits

good ol' ma bell

Pretty bad experience you had.

It's worth noting that from what you describe, Bell screwed up your installation. They set the modem speed - and should have set you to the 15/10 that was ordered. If you got the modem from teksavvy, the modem would be pre-set up to make things easy for you. Buuut it was also pre-set assuming the install would be done properly. So that means the modem was not going to get you online.

That is something the technician should have noticed at the time of install, and also fixed immediately with a phone call. Since the install tech did not do that, a repair ticket would be needed to get bell to fix the mistake.

The complaints you have are very understandable. It's just worth knowing a bit of what is happening behind the curtain. If teksavvy asked bell for the right speed, then you got left high and dry by that bell tech.

·TekSavvy DSL

Everything is going bad with both of them

I made alot of calls with Teksavvy and Bell. Both of them told me we can not give you more than 1 Mbps Up!!!
Before signing up Teksavvy said to me it will not be 10 Mbps but 8.8 Mbps!!!
WOW Teksavvy was very accurate to mention the 0.8!!!
Everything is going bad with both of them...
Also the service is always very slow.
Here is my speedtest for the moment: (There is no downloading or any other internet activity while testing the speed + I tried alot of testing servers with the same slow speed)

join:2013-11-18

Hi Raphael,

Thanks for your review! That's not at all the kind of experience we want you to have and I truly apologize for you not getting the plan you wanted and signed up for, as well as all the issues you had with the installation and the disconnection the next day. I really would like to look into what's going on with your account and see what we can do to make things right. Could you please shoot us a message over in the »TekSavvy Direct forum?

Thanks!

·TekSavvy DSL

Re: Review

and what is the difference between "TekSavvy Direct forum" and Teksavvy customer support?
Another way of wasting time?
I WANT TO REFUND MY MONEY YOU HAVE NO SOLUTION FOR MY PROBLEM AND HERE IS A NEW SPEED TEST

join:2013-11-18

Hi Raphael,

I assure you we don't want to waste your time, quite the opposite. Another set of eyes on a problem never hurts, and a fresh perspective might be able to help you get this fixed one way or another.

Thanks,

Re: Review

OK I posted my problem @ »TekSavvy Direct forum.

Got TekSavvy?
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
The direct forum is only visible to us rather than the public so it's a place where we can get your account info in private to investigate/action

Re: Review

you can see the post now!

join:2014-07-07
Waiting for the solution...

join:2011-08-24
canada

Hi Raphael,

I have moved the ticket you've opened via help.teksavvy.com to our online account management team. To avoid confusion and too many interactions over various channels, they will be communicating with you via the one ticket on help.teksavvy.com only. I am also having the online account manager call you to discuss things further.

TSI Jon
Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

TSI John
join:2014-03-14
Hello Raphael,
Thank you for taking the time to speak with me this morning. I apologize for all of the frustration here and am sorry to lose you as a customer. I am glad though that we were able to resolve the situation to your satisfaction.

John
Online Services Account Management

Mr. John
thank you for helping me refunding my money...

TSI John
join:2014-03-14

Raphael,
You are very welcome.

John
Online Services Account Manager

Review by rodjames See Profile

• Location: Gloucester,ON
Good "Great setup, no contracts. Tech support was great. No dealing with Bell, and the last true unmetered ISP in Canada."
Bad "None."
Overall "Buy a decent DSL modem, call in, and you'll be online in a few days. No contracts."

·loclhost.ca
I'm really happy with Teksavvy. Their service has been phenomenal since the start. Thanks, and please keep the unmetered DSL going!

Update April 2012: Still Unmetered!

Update December 2012: Speeds have been very steady, and still unmetered!

Update August 2013: I've switched to ATPIA rCable, and I'll be providing a review once I burn it in. STILL Unmetered!

Update June 2014: No longer unmetered, but I am now using Zap the Cap to provide unlimited downloads for a small reduction in prime-time speeds.

member for 4.4 years, 571 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI JoeC
join:2013-07-29
Chatham, ON

Thank you for your Feedback!

Thank you for the kind words! We're happy that the DSL has done you justice over time!

Once the switch over to Cable takes place, let us know how it is and if there is anything you need, please let us know!

TSI Joe

Chatham, ON

updated review

Hello Rodjames

Thank you for the updated review. Happy to hear you are still enjoying the service and using our new feature Zap the Cap. This is great to see.

If you have any further questions or concerns please let us know in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are happy to help.

Thank you again for updating us on your TekSavvy journey.

Review by oxymoron69 See Profile

• Location: Corbyville,ON
Good "Lots of gigs for cheap"
Bad "they are limited by lazy incumbent carriers"
Overall "Pretty damn good option"

·Kingston Online ..
I subscribe to Teksavvys' grandfathered 512k/512k DSL service (syncing at 1mbit/512k) with a 300GB cap & ipv6. *edit* It's now 2mbit/800k with 300gb & ipv6

the accounting department is great (never had a billing error, always quick to get referrals added to my account).

*edit* Moving is a trying affair:
given many weeks notice of moving, I've had to devote at least 2 hours/week for the past 3 weeks trying to get my service up at my new house.
At 2 days to move in, I'm not at all confident that they'll get this problem fixed in time.
setting up the move order shouldn't take hours of my time to stay on the phone trying to walk a csr through the steps required to help me.

*edit*
it took almost a month after move in(and almost 2 months from the original order) to get 2meg dsl service, while waiting i was limited to 640/512k.

sales phone support is frustrating to be nice about it. My time was wasted by these ladies. Tons of time on hold 'checking with my supervisor'...

James in the direct forum was my saviour, i was close to bailing out altogether and would've cancelled if not for him and a couple of the more useful forum techs.

I hope i never have to move teksavvy service ever again, it's retardedly hard.

*edit*
A few months after my profile increase, it dropped again after I bundled it with another 2meg line from Bell. My bundle useless, I now just use my TSI login on my cheaper, faster Bell line.

*edit*
After awhile my line lost sync, they fixe it and it runs at 2mbit, my bell line is now cooked.
Tsi also knocked the price down 15/month.

*edit*
Years after signing up, TSI begins charging for overage, the eliminated my 512k/300gig plan and created 2meg/25gigs. After some positive back and forth it was upped to 2meg/300gigs

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Oxymoron69,

Thank you for this review. I’m sorry to read there were some mishaps with your move order and tech support when calling them for troubleshooting; however I am very happy to read that James in the Direct Forum was able to assist you with fixing your connection.

Are you currently having an issue with your connection? Or is everything working as it should? If you are having an issue or if you have any questions please feel free to message us directly in the Direct Forum. We are happy to assist you.

Thanks again for this review.
TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.

Chatham, ON

updated review

Hello Oxymoron69

Thank you very much for the updated review. I am happy you are enjoying the service still and that you were able to obtain upgraded speeds and were put back on your 300 gb of bandwidth.

Thank you for the review update. If you have any further questions TekSavvy can be reached directly in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

Thanks again,

Review by i_pk_pjers_i See Profile

• Location: Whitby,ON
Good "Fantastic support, 100% reliable connection, good speeds, Zap The Cap"
Bad "N/A"
Overall "One of the best TPIAs out there and in my opinion the best ISP in Ontario if not all of Canada"

On April 28th, I placed an order for Teksavvy DSL 50/10 internet with the SmartRG SR505n since I was previously a Rogers customer but I was sick of the local node congestion that I had become used to with Rogers (as many people complain about, and rightfully so) and didn't want to deal with it anymore. The install happened on May 2nd and went through without a hitch. The Bell tech that did my install was very savvy, very nice, very thorough and did a good job. Since I have gotten my connection installed, I have not had a single second of downtime, or any disconnects, or any other issues like these. Every question/concern I have had was answered within 15 minutes by Teksavvy which is quite frankly amazing. My connection speed has been rock solid 50 down 10 up the entire time and I have no complains whatsoever. Zap The Cap providing free unlimited in exchange for lowering down speed to 15 for 4 hours a day (8PM to midnight) is a great deal for both the ISP and its customers.

I cannot say enough good things about this company and about how happy I am with my internet connection.

member for 7.6 years, 227 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

TSI Keith
join:2012-07-09

Re: Your review

Hello there,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us here. We always love feedback from our customers. I'm also glad you enjoy Zap The Cap, it's a fairly new thing here and as such it's great to hear it is well received!

Should you ever have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to reach out to us in the »TekSavvy Direct forum.

And hey, Welcome to the family!!

Keith
TSI Keith Online Services Account Manager - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Review by Probitas See Profile

• Location: Chatham,ON
Good "Cheaper than Bell. Better CSR. No contracts."
Bad "If Bell has issues, I have issues."
Overall "Only way they could be better was if they owned the lines themselves."

Had Bell before, but was tired of their crappy CS. Switched it to Unlimited with Teksavvy but wasn't going over the 300GB cap so lowered it. Teksavvy offers users Unlimited for 6 hours a day between 2AM and 8AM anyway, so works for when I am night-owling. And if I do go over, I don't get charged hundreds, the limit is $50. And I can always go back to Unlimited, which is cheaper than paying $50 more. Order and install was a snap, just had to wait for our ordered Teksavvy Phone port from Bell to get switched over, then activated the 6 service remotely, no tech involved at all for either service. I was able to purchase my own modem and not rent, and it's always been sold from Teksavvy because they'll support it. Speedtouch 516, but when that broke after years of service, bought a Zyxel 660 as that's the new one being sold. The only times my service has stopped is when Bell is doing maintenance, and when the modem broke.

All in all a good service provider. Much better than Bell.

member for 173 days, 11 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Probitas,

Thank you for the review. I am very happy to hear that you have been enjoying your service. It’s great to see the installation was a breeze and you have had minimal issues with the service. This is great!
Thank you for sharing your TekSavvy journey with us, if you have any further questions we can be reached directly in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

Thanks again

Review by j_a_t_h See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Fast speed, no download limites"
Bad "Had to deal with Telus"
Overall "Faster, better price, no limits"

·TELUS
Good:Easy to order, the equipment showed in 4 business days. Getting close to full speed. No Limits.

Bad: have to pay the setup fee for Telus. All Telus did was input the modem number into a hand held device. Did not need to show up to do that, it was not $95 dollars worth of install.

Internet has been down a few times but never for more then a hour. Do not know if it is Telus or Teksavvy issue. I get 24.7/1.7 out of a 25/2 line, very happy about that. I billing is good and I have not had to contact support in a year.

Comments:

TSI Support1
TSI Support
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON

Review of TekSavvy DSL (DSL)

Hey j_a_t_h,

Thanks for the review! Always happy to get positive feedback.

In regards to the activation, unfortunately we have no way to know what work needs to be completed without a tech coming out. Thankfully it was a quick appointment though!

If you ever have any questions or concerns, feel free to post in the direct forum!

Jon

Review by corkz See Profile

• Location: St Catharines,ON
Good "Price, Options, Great customer service"
Bad "None for me"
Overall "Best bang for buck for me for 25/10 service with static IP dryloop and free unlimited with zap the cap option"

·Start Communicat..
June 6 2014

Back with Teksavvy after close to a two year hiatus with Start Communications. The switch back is in no way a reflection of poor service on Start's part, they were great, but finally having the option to get on VDSL and get a static IP again led me back as I have always had an excellent experience with Teksavvy.

$48.99 for dry loop 25/10 service with static IP is considerably cheaper than what I used to pay Teksavvy for two bonded 5meg lines. It's nice to have superior service for a cheaper price. I'm on a 7330 remote and have attainable rates of 100/30. I couldn't have much more of a stable line. Everything has been great, install was smooth, and most surprising of all, the Bell tech that did the install was really pleasant and even followed up to make sure everything was good and that I was happy. Kudos to a Bell guy (can't believe I'm saying that).

Overall very happy to be back with Tek, and I hope Marc lives up to the reputation of excellence that his brother started, but from dealing with a few reps so far, I'm guessing he is. Would also like to add that zap the cap is a great idea, although not a fan of the name. Not sure if I'll need to take advantage of it, but glad that such an offering exists. I'd like to see something a little less static as an option for zap the cap as well, I hope they look into refining it in the future. Perhaps something like dedicating a block of bandwidth pooled to all zap the cap users and rate limiting based on how many people are currently active. Currently peak billing could not be affected if speeds for individual users were allowed to increase and artificially rate limiting some doesn't help anyone. I'd like to see it only come in to action when it would negatively impact Teksavvy's bottom line but a good start none the less.

Entering year 3, service and customer support are still great. UBB being past by the CRTC, who are clearly in Bell's pocket sucks, but that's the negative side of a wholesaler. TPIA access to cable networks provides new options, and the outcome of crtc decisions still under process will decide the future of this indy. Looking forward to cable access on cogeco network as an alternative in the future. Cable access promises the advantage of not having to pay dry loop fees for those of us who don't have traditional POTS service.

Big drawback at the moment is the lack of static IP's with the current cable offerings. Canada is quickly moving into the stone age and becoming irrelevant in the internet and communications scene, but Teksavvy still offers the best overall value and customer service in the Industry. Even if they end up costing slightly more for slightly less as a result of corruption in the CRTC and other political bodies, I feel confident putting my money towards a company who is employing Canadians.

Lastly, the transparency the company operates with needs to be mentioned. It is simply wonderful to deal with a company who actually tells you what is going on with the company. If an outage happens, I appreciate being told why, and what's being done to prevent this in the future. It is also nice to know that even though Teksavvy is now becoming a big company, if I send off an emal or a PM to the owner and CEO of the company it is usually responded to in person the same. I don't see myself switching to another company anytime in the near future, Teksavvy has earned my loyalty and respect and I will continue recommending them to family, friend and clients. Their commercials need some work though.

Been with TSI for over 2 years now.

My costs are higher than most, I have two Premium lines, one dry loop, static IP and /29 subnet. Considering all that is in the $84 it's a steal. No other ISP offers this kind of service. Customer Service has always been there within minutes when I've called, and my issues have been answered by English speaking representatives who are Canadian citizens employed in Canada. A big point for me. I wish there was some way to rate their Tech Support higher than 5 to stress how awesome it is, especially for the technically inclined internet user. It's a pleasure speaking to people who know what your talking about and not reading off a sheet saying "have you tried restarting your computer have you tried restarting your modem" etc. I wish Bell wasn't evil and the CRTC didn't have their heads up their asses and Bell's so that this fine example of a Canadian company could continue to move forward as the example of what a Canadian ISP should be.

Comments:

TSI ShawnS
join:2012-11-22

Hello corkz,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate the positive feedback and are glad to have you back in the family! If you ever have any questions or concerns, we’re always here for you.

Please keep in mind ZtC is currently in Beta. I don’t believe there are any plans to change the way it functions, but who knows what the future may bring! As for static IPs on Cable, I know a lot of people would like to see this as an option. We are constantly working on improving things with our vendor though so maybe one day.

Thanks again for taking the time to provide your feedback.

Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

Review by deafmonkey See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "High Capacity, Average Speeds, Good Value, UseNet, Static IP on DSL"
Bad "Occasional support issues"
Overall "UseNet, Good Static IP rates, Stability when it works."

·Start Communicat..
I was on the 6/0.8 Plan from 2009-2012, Static IP, DNS reverse.
The first 3 years I had zero need to contact support. However my buildings intercom system really destroyed anyone using DSL in my building. I May rework a setup to Get
Teksavvy back on DSL for redundancy in the future alongside with start cable.
I still would still recommend them for DSL if supported in the area. - Beware of intercoms! As it could cause misunderstandings.

And the speed was superb at first, Things got slower as things progressed. Though
I am not a current Teksavvy customer, I wanted to say thanks for the service during
the years when it was fun, having a bad intercom unit/wiring in the building that interferes with the DSL signal is so not fun!

The order and install process at the time, was 10-15 Days If I recall, however it was around the christmas holidays, so it's to be expected for a delay. - My Teksavvy Consultant had me up and going with the equipment he had going and was great for replacement modems when needed, as my DSL modems were dying pretty quick at the time, I was testing many modems at the time, however my dedicated modem for teksavvy was GNET GBB0060. Before that was a speedtouch, and 2wire DSL modems.
I forget the model #'s of the latter two.

It was convenient for testing various DSL modems without needing to call in.

As for the support issues, Long wait times, Was a problem with my hearing impairment as not everyone would wait to get ahold of them for me. So support sometimes took a period of time to get an immediate fix, E-mail also takes time as well.

However if I had known about TekSavvy on this forum sooner, I may have been able to get my issue fixed.

However if you get to be the lucky customer with stable Teksavvy internet, and never needing to call support, then Teksavvy is the right choice. When it works, it works.
When needing support, There may be long wait times. And long E-mail times.
However I would not mind those long wait times and e-mail times, If it was a once or twice a year thing. Instead of daily for about 6 months. - They likely would not have
found the problem over the phone anyways. As it was the buildings intercom unit/wiring
I do not blame TekSavvy entirely for the Intercom DSL Woes I had. - People calling on the intercom knocked out everyones DSL light, it didn't matter which unit they were calling, and other weird things happened with that old intercom, they replaced it with another one, Which I still do not trust. I'm waiting for current DSL users in the building, to stop complaining about the intercom, before I try and get Teksavvy back again.
On DSL. Ditto for the intercom users in the building.

There are many users I saw on the forum saying Teksavvy is just too busy complaining about bell or rogers, but from my experience I don't recall from my support
calls where they were like oh it's bell, in fact I don't recall them blaming bell much
usually it was something like yeah they understood there's a network problem, but
did not outright blame bell. - They once said that bell may have moved me to a different
equipment, But did not outright say that due to bell moving my equipment they screwed
up, It was like bell moved me to a different line, and they may be working on it and such.

Update Apr 26 2014:

Since I have switched to Start cable I have not found a need to use Teksavvy as a backup due to the fact I have gotten 99.99% uptime in the past year with Start.

For DSL In the past Teksavvy 'worked' not as great as start cable it however did work. However I will still leave the rest of the review rating for Teksavvy as is on DSLr

Comments:

TSI Marty
join:2012-11-22

Your review

Thank you for your review and taking your time to provide feedback. We appreciate the time you have taken to tell others about your experience and we hope that if you chose us in the future that the wiring shenanigans you had to face wont be a factor on the service such as it was with your previous DSL connection.

We are happy that you have found us on DSLR as we are very active in this forum and it is a nice easy way to receive assistance as well as ask general questions as the people involved on DSLR are very active and very knowledgeable and happy to lend a hand to a fellow TekSavvy subscriber when in need.

We thank you again,