TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by salem2210 See Profile

Bad "scamming customers"

The service could not be installed because the house has bell cables and not rogers cables. That is what the technician told me. Ashleigh was very nice during the process and told me I will get a full refund. When I get my check I am $40 short and when I call they told me that it is because of a restocking fee and the modem mailing fee. I have no paper that says why am I short $40. How is this legal? One employee tells me one thing and yet accounting does another??? I will take this to Canada consumer protection site and small claims court. These people just robbed me $40. If we don't speak up and take it they will keep getting rich by doing this to other people. Where is my legal receipt stating this???

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello Salem2210,

Thank you for the review. We do apologize for this. I would certainly like to investigate your account to see what is happening. I have just looked for your account and I do not see your handle is tagged to an account. Can you send us a message in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct with your account information please?

TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

Review by pu12 See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "No terms, reasonable prices, easy to cancel."
Bad "Worst speeds since dialup. Large upfront cost for modem and installation"
Overall "Extraordinary fluctuations in service quality depending upon region."

I switched to TS cable since the building does not have updated DSL lines (limited to 3.5mb). Was with bell before with an unlimited plan.

Picked cable 35 (most probably), bought modem and waited for rogers to come activate the line. The first day (which was a sunday) the speeds tested fine. I assume it was because no one was using the internet heavily. But from Monday, the speeds were terrible. Download speeds during the day (FTP) was about 30-40 KB/s. And at night it was much worse. During the weekends it would improve slightly, but never to the point of actually reaching the advertised speeds. Not even close. To say it was infuriating would be to put it lightly. Atleast with DSL, the speed was consistent.

After waiting for a few months to see if there would be improvements in quality, called rogers and signed up for cable internet and haven't had any issues since.

My problem isn't really that the connection was bad since the problems can have many causes. And everyone is quick to blame rogers for the shitty speeds and how teksavvy is a blameless victim of the behemoth that is rogers. But teksavvy MUST have known the connection wouldn't be reliable and I would get terrible speeds. There was no warning while I was signing up to let me know this may be the case. And I refuse to blame rogers like everyone else when I complain about this because I wasn't paying rogers for my service.

I know people who have great service from TS, which is why I picked them in the first place. Unfortunately I seem to have gotten the service somewhere it wasn't reliable. Make sure you do your proper due-diligence on the quality of the service before you switch.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello Pu12,

Thank you for the review. I regret to hear you did not enjoy your TekSavvy service. With speed issues there can be many causes; I’m not sure if you completed troubleshooting on your connection it sounds like you may have just waited it out to see if there would be improvement. Without completing troubleshooting we don’t have a way to tell you where the issue is. Also; if you don’t contact us to tell us you’re having an issue we assume your service is working. It sounds like this was something we could have resolved and fixed for you had we been aware of an issue.

Thanks again for this review.
TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

Review by carlom See Profile

• Location: Laval,QC
Good "Pre-Installation info and modem delivery"
Bad "Installation was a nightmare and TekSavvy insists on charging me for service when they were never able to get me connected"
Overall "You get what you pay for. Horrible installation and questionable billing practices, avoid at all costs"

·Videotron
I am currently on Cable Internet (with Videotron) and consistently get 15/10 speed but the high price drove me to explore options. I decided to give TekSavvy an opportunity. When I ordered the DSL 25/10 service, I had high hopes and was excited about potentially improving my speed and bandwidth at a significantly lower price. Here's the story:

1.) Ordered 25/10 via the website. process was simple and smooth. No issues

2.) Modem arrived about 3 days later. No issues.

3.) On the date of installation, I was told 2 technicians would pass by, one would work inside the house while the other (the Bell technician), would work outside.

3a) The 1st technician arrives around 2 pm. Installs a POTS splitter at the point of use (my living room), plugs in the modem. There is no DSL signal but he says that's normal because the Bell (outside) tech hasn't done his work yet. All told, this 1st tech was present less than 15 minutes.

3b) After waiting around all day and not getting a DSL signal (flashing light on the modem) I open a chat session with TekSavvy asking if they could confirm if the Bell Tech hooked up the DSL. I'm told to wait until the next day, everything should work

4.) On Day 2, there is no DSL signal. I call TechSavvy Support

4a) Phone tech tells me Bell (outside tech) had confirmed they passed by and the DSL should be hooked up. Phone tech says they are concerned it might be my inside wiring. Asks me to take the modem outside to plug it directly into the Telco DEMARC jack to see if I get DSL signal. I trudge through 3 feet of snow in my back yard and plug the modem into the DEMARC. No DSL signal. TekSavvy Phone Tech says he'll open a ticket with Bell Canada but warns me that if they find there is a DSL signal at the DEMARC, I will be charged ~$90. I figure it's a small risk and tell him to go ahead.

5.) Day 3, Bell dispatch calls to ask if their technician can pass by in the afternoon to do the testing. I agree. Bell Tech arrives at 5 PM. He goes to Bell Neighborhood NODE and returns to my house. Informs me the DSL was never hooked up at the NODE. He then spends the next hour outside at Telco Box and on the Bell pole, comes back and tells me all is good. DSL signal works at the DEMARC. We connect the Modem to the splitter (in my living room),and, guess what, no DSL signal ! He tells me it's the wiring inside my house and I have to deal with TekSavvy on that issue.

6.) Day 4, I decide to take the modem, trudge through 3 feet of snow in my backyard to the Telco box and test the DSL signal myself. Lo and behold, no DSL signal at the DEMARC !!

7.) I call TekSavvy and politely inform them I have had enough adventure and would like to cancel the order. Clearly, given the above, it's best to just realize this won't work and just move on. The TekSavvy representative asks me if I'd be willing to have another technician (the 4th) come by, I told them it was pointless given the experience. Especially since I would be risking the $90 Bell Tech charge. 4 days of effort was much more than I signed up for, especially since I paid for installation.

Here's the worst part:

Even though I was NEVER able to get a DSL signal and the service was NEVER rendered, TekSavvy tells me I will not be refunded for the 1st month of service ($44.95 + tax) or the cost for installation and they will accept the modem return but I will be charged a $25 restocking fee. I told them I would not argue regarding the cost for installation (the guy did show up) or the modem restocking fee (I wanted to be a nice guy) but the fact they would not refund the 1 month of prepaid service was ridiculous !! Keep in mind, I did all I could to get this to work, I was polite to their telephone reps and technicians, I personally assisted by checking the DEMARC twice and NEVER, not for a second, got any Internet service (a fact their phone technician confirmed). And TekSavvy feels justified not refunding the month of service? Charging for services NOT RENDERED is akin to THEFT.

I would expect a responsible company to acknowledge the above experience and agree to a refund in full, however, given TekSavvy is essentially a reseller, I figured I'd be completely fair. I didn't argue the installation charge(although with no DSL signal, I think I'd be justified in asking for this to be refunded as well), I didn't argue the modem restocking fee (although I doubt the modem was new, as advertised) but when I was told I'd have to pay for the month of service, which was never delivered, well, that's is just too much. As I said earlier, charging someone for a service you DID NOT DELIVER is unethical and akin to theft.

I will post the above story to all relevant websites until I receive proper resolution to my grievance.

Comments:

TSI JonD
join:2013-07-29

Hello Carlom,

Thank you very much for the review and for bringing this to our attention. All feedback is appreciated. I'm very sorry to hear about the frustrations you've had with this install. I would be more than happy to look in to this for you but I will first need to ask you to create a ticket here.

You will simply click the drop down menu and select "DSR - I was instructed to create a ticket."

Then from there simply provide as much of your account info as you are able to and we will be able to assist you shortly.

Regards,
Jon
carlom

join:2013-12-21
Laval, QC

2 edits

Re: Review

Ok. As requested, I have opened a ticket ( ticket # 48838). Let's see where it goes from there. I'll post progress on this review as well.

Review by bobbydegazio See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Overall "Unreliable connection and long wait for support"

I've been with Teksavvy for almost a year and almost every night of the week around midnight the connection stops working for about 15 minutes to hour and half. I called the support which always takes about 30 to 45 mins to get an agent and they never gave me any straight answer. I was with Rogers and Bell before and the only reason I switched to Teksavvy was b/c it's cheaper so I guess you get what you pay for. If you don't mind long wait to get support or connection interruption that this company is for you but I'm thinking of switching back to either Bell or Rogers as I need a steady and stable connection

Comments:

TSI JonD
join:2013-07-29

Hello bobbydegazio,

Thank you for the review. We appreciate any and all feedback. I'm very sorry to hear about the reliability of the service. I can assure you that this should not be the case.

In regards to the wait times, again this is not normal. Unfortunately due to the ice storm in the GTA area our wait times have gone up quite a bit.

We would be more than happy to assist you with the connection. Please post in the direct forum with your account information and we will assist you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Melbourne, ON
·Execulink Wireless

Re: Review

said by TSI JonD:

haha...that's a load of crap. I get the exact same thing, each and every time I've called tech support. Going back over the last 3 years. Hell of a long ice storm.
"Google Is Your Friend"

Review by nohead See Profile

• Location: Brossard,QC
Good "Great ISP for the price"
Bad "None to date"
Overall "Excellent customer support"

I've been with Teksavvy for almost 7 years now and it's been trouble free. I don't remember the last time that I've got a down time. (Wait! I kinda remember maybe, probably, something like once...LOL)

Comments:

TSI Outages
TSI Support
join:2009-09-28

Re: your review

TSI Keith
join:2012-07-09
And now from the right account (lol):

Hello nohead,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us here, we certainly appreciate the feedback.

I just wanted to personally thank you for your continued support despite the issues you had....... once?

Don't hesitate to let us know should you need anything in the future.

Have a great day!
Keith
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Review by rasec See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Good service, excellent tech support, fair and reasonable price."
Bad "None so far."
Overall "The best value-price DSL provider currently serving Toronto."

Package: High Speed DSL 7 - Up to 7 Mbps Down / 1 Mbps Up - $24.99 per month
Order and installation simple and straight forward. No inconvenience at all.
Modem options available through TekSavvy, but the freedom to bring your own device also possible.
Compared to other major ISPs experienced (Bell Sympatico, Rogers Cable), faster and better tech support, and service much more fairly priced.

Comments:

TSI Martin

Your Review

Thank you for taking the time to review our service.

Please feel free to get in touch with us anytime you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,

Review by fred222 See Profile

• Location: York,ON
Good "price"
Bad "Support is non existence. Teksavvy depends on Bell's support for DSL "
Overall "terrible service"

I have my home phone line and Internet on DSL with Teksavvy. i used to be with Bell on DSL. I have had nothing but issues with their service. Both my home line and DSL drop intermittently. I get a lot of static on the line. I have called them numerous times but still nothing. Teksavvy is cheap for a reason. they really are not able to give support what so ever. I am considering leaving and possibly going to Rogers on cable.

I would like to update this review as of May 21 2013. David at Teksavvy support took ownership of my issue. We had to call the Bell techs to come to the house multiple times. They eventually found a bad distribution cable on the Bell side. My line has been static free for over a week now and DSL has been solid since then. Let’s hope it stays this way.

Thank you all for your support at Teksavvy

Update Dec 17 2013

The static on the landline came back. It worked fine with no issues until last Friday Dec 13 2013 then all of a sudden the static came back. Teksavvy support has not been helping me. Mathew in support wanted me to go home so they could run some tests. When I got home I called support Shawn answered and he said there were no tests that he could do. I am very confused. The support agents tell me different things. no one is willing to take responsibility for my issues.

I get a lot of static intermittently on the line. The static is quite obvious at the NID when it occurs. I have connected an analog phone on the NID and I still hear the static.

Numerous Bell tech have showed up but still nothing. Teksavvy wants to send another Bell tech again.

This is the last time I am going to wait for a tech to show up. If the problem is not fixed I'm looking elsewhere.

member for 1 year, 35 visits, last login: 126 days ago

Comments:

TSI Martin

Static on the phone

Hello,

Very sorry to hear you are having issues with your phone service. Due to this, it may be the cause of your issues with your DSL service as well.

If you would please send me a PM TSI Martin See Profile or post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum. We would like to see what is happening and the reason why a Bell tech has not been sent to your house to fix the issue at the Demarcation point.

Please refer this review in order to help you better. »Review of TekSavvy DSL by fred222

Thanks & Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Hi Martin,
thank you for your reply. The Bell techs have come twice. They keep saying the line tests fine. There are times that I don't have DSL or dial tone. The problem is intermittent. The number that the DSL is on is [phone number removed for privacy] in the Toronto area.

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
join:2008-06-03

Hello Fred,

I see that you have messaged Martin and that you wont be available until after 6pm.

We will organize to have someone call you after 6pm to help resolve this issue.

Cheers,

Andre
TSI Andre
Director of Service Delivery

TekSavvy Website | TekSavvy Blog

Hambone

@rogers.com
Had a phone problem here, called India and they sent Techs out twice, no problem the techs say. Finally got a number in London, ON for service. Called it, problem fixed in two days. It was at a switching station miles from here. Furthest the first two techs I got when I called in to Bombay for service was the Bell panel just up the road.

Re: Static on the phone

I think you are correct. I have been in touch with TSI support. They sent a tech to install a POTS splitter. I am 100% sure that the problem is at the CO not in the house. The problem is that everyone blames the house wiring/phone/modem.
In the weekend I heard a lot of clicking on the line. I disconnected all cable pairs going into the house at the demarc. I put an analog phone on the demarc. I could still hear the clicking very loud. To me this is a CO issue.
I'm still in communication with TSI support. Someone from support is trying to help me. I am hoping they are able to fix the issue.

·TekSavvy DSL

Update

As of today May 05 my DSL and phone line are not fixed yet. TSI support calls Bell. Bell techs show up. First thing they do they remind me that I am not a Bell customer then they say there is nothing wrong then they leave. There must have been 6 or 7 techs that have shown up in the past month and half.
If anyone at TSI has a suggestion please let me know. Maybe there are other option? My DSL and phone lines were down from Saturday morning till Sunday morning. They just came up now. I know they will go down again. I am sure you have seen this scenario before, any ideas?

TSIElizabeth
join:2012-08-20

Response to Update

Hi There,

I'd like to have a look into your account to ensure that everything is in order and ensure the miscommunication you experienced didn't affect anything. I'm hoping this most recent bell tech will resolve the issue. Please feel free to open a ticket with us »help.teksavvy.com/hc/en-us/reque···orms/new so we can investigate or if you have any questions on the upcoming dispatch.

I look forward to hearing from you and thanks for all of your patience!
Liz
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

"Not all those who wander are lost."

Review by donkey See Profile

• Location: Montreal, QC

·Acanac
I have been with Teksavvy for a number of years now. I have never had to call them on the telephone, because they have their direct forum here at dslr.

Any issues, and when I say issues, have not broken my dsl connection with tek, have been trivial and more to the point of being stuck on a crappy lucent/stinger remote that both I and tek have no control over.

My only issue is that, here in Quebec the 15/1 plan costs $7 more a month compared to my brethren in Ontario. Same tariffs for both Quebec and Ontario, but yet I pay more.

In closing, teksavvy has been great to me, their 300g cap with 2am to 8am grace period where it doesn't count (uploading doesn't count either for the entire month) I've easily stayed within my allotment for the month.

member for 6 years, 1957 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Martin

Your Review

removed.

Hi,

Thanks for your review. We always appreciate a good word from our users.

I'm waiting for an answer concerning the ON vs QC pricing for you.

Re: Your Review

I had asked Marc about it in the past, he responded that he explained it in another thread, sadly I couldn't find it.

Montreal, QC
It has been a few weeks, thanks for the reply/answer?

I could get a faster telephone answer than this! (that's sarcasm because everyone waits hours)

Re: Your Review

Ok I take back that last comment, apparently rogers put a hockey stick in tesavvy's spokes and grinded their phone support to a halt.

Re: Your Review

Good bye Teksavvy, it's been fun, but your inability to specify or prove why you have to charge me $7 more a month than someone in Ontario has driven me out. Godspeed.
JB Webs you say? Sounds like a SCAM to me!

Review by itchybag See Profile

Good "polite employees"
Bad "everything else"
Overall "buyer beware"

I ordered the 15/1 dsl 300 gb service. Everything was good, employees were polite and helpful. The day of my install is where things are sketchy and a downright pissoff. First off I was fortunate to be off that day since they tell you between the hours of 12-9. The telcon tech called me at 3 and said he would be over in 5 minutes, great. I let him in, he checked out my modem setup because Im using my own. We headed downstairs to check out the pots splitter and the line coming in from bell. Buddy started pulling wires out of the pots saying I don't need them for the service Im getting. Then he said I couldn't get the service I ordered because I would need a new line. After we argued back and forth he checked his email and work order and said he was wrong. He then said all looked good and that bell would finish the install. I let buddy out and thought all was good. Before this guy drove away I tried to make a phone call but the line was dead. I looked out and saw his truck so I grabbed my cell and called him back thanks to caller id. He never answered and it went to voicemail, I left a polite message asking him what he disconnected because I now have no home phone and to give me a call back. He took off, so I called teksavvy and told them to make a report. Im not paying for a service call to bell. Anyway this was Tuesday and Im still waiting for someone to call me back and encourage me to not bad mouth them, nothing, so here it starts. Well low and behold its 11:53 dec 13 as I type this and not a dam thing has changed. Pity help this teksavvy company if my house gets robbed now because I have a disconnected phone line and hence no home alarm. I will bad mouth this company until something to my satisfaction is done. Word of mouth goes along way, my parents are now not going to order teksavvy and a buddy at work who has them coming next week said he will now be cancelling.

Comments:

TSI Martin

Thanks for the review.

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to review your installation. As I can understand for what you have described is that you have home phone (unknown provider) and after your DSL install (Wet or Dry?) the home phone service stopped working. It's definitely not how we wanted your install to go through. That said, If you would allow me to look into the situation & see what we can do to rectify the issue, I'd appreciate the oppertunity.

Would you please post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum with your account information and a summary of what occurred. I will investigate & see what we can do to get your phone back up & running.

Thanks in advance,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
itchybag

join:2013-12-13
·TekSavvy DSL

Re: Thanks for the review.

home phone thru bell. ordered wet loop. telcon idiot disconnected my home phone, hooked nothing else up and left. I still have no internet or home phone. Im on a name basis with your employees right now. I did get a call at noon from a rep saying I should have my issues corrected today, but I wont hold my breath.

TSI ShawnS
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON

Re: Thanks for the review.

Hello there,

I'm sorry to hear that this has happened. I would like to look into this further for you. Please post a thread on the »TekSavvy Direct Forum.

I look forward to further assisting you from there.

TSI Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Review by modemport See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Friendly company, low cost, management presence in forums, reliable service"
Overall "Long time customer, no regrets"

I signed up July 2009 and originally posted a review under another name. I had created this name awhile ago and have deleted the previous forum name.

I have no regrets about joining TSI. The rare time something goes wrong, it's back up and working in a short time.

I have the 6mb/800kbs package. I bought the SpeedTouch516 modem via TSI. The modem eventually acted up resulting in bad speeds; a tech determined it was a modem issue and promptly sent out a new one (the modem was still under their warranty). Years later, the modem is still working well.

The order & install process was good. I kept Videotron until TSI was running, then cancelled. I left Videotron due to their caps and overage costs. With 300gb on TSI, I rarely use more than half.

4+ years later, I'm happy with the service and cost.

member for 239 days, 292 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Chris K
join:2013-10-25

Hi Modemport,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I'm glad to see that you've been a long time customer and are satisfied with our services. Glad to hear your modem is still running fine as well as everything else. Please feel free to reach out to us anytime, we'll be more than happy to assist or answer any questions you have.

Thanks,