TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by HiVolt See Profile

• Location: Toronto, ON
Good "Honesty, great DSLR tech presence, Cable or DSL solutions, MLPPP support"
Bad "none for me at this time"
Overall "Great deals for either cable or dsl"

·TekSavvy Cable
Update Dec 10/2013
----------------------------
Today marks my 6 years with TekSavvy, and I hope for many more! No problems service wise, and I always appreciate the honesty from Marc & the team on the forums!

Update Sept 26/2013
----------------------------
Finally Bell dropped the requirement to rent or purchase the Cellpipe or Sagemcom modems as of this month. After inquiring in the direct forum on how to proceed, I returned my rental Cellpipe to TekSavvy and my $8/month modem rental has been removed! I am happily using my own modem (Zhone 6652-A2) since April, 100% stable.

Update June 3/2013
----------------------------
No major issues with the service, only the fact that I've had to resort to finding my own modem that doesn't disconnect me or have other issues... Both the Cellpipe and Sagemcom have flaws in both stability and speed if you're on 50meg and use your own router. Sad part is, I am still forced to pay $8/month for the modem rental to Bell, for a Cellpipe modem that I don't use and that is obsolete in support and features, and there doesn't appear to be an end in sight. Not TSI's fault, there is some proceeding at the CRTC with regard to the VDSL modem certification, but they keep stalling and stalling, and nobody but Bell is able to source a modem that is compatible with the Stinger remotes...

Good thing is that prices went down a few months ago after the CRTC reduced Bell's capacity rates.

Oh, and the congestion to my remote was fixed maybe 6 months ago or more now, they added a second gig-e link to it. No problems with evening speeds now.

Update July 23/2012
------------------------------
Bell released the Cellpipe firmware fix today to the public. Firmware version is 1.0.4.4R8-wh. Some users were already on a beta test of it and it appears to fix the rebooting issue. I've switched mine to the Cellpipe from the Sagemcom, it fetched the ugprade and we'll see how it'll be over the next few weeks. Still congested in evening. That hasn't changed.

Update May 30/2012
------------------------------
I forgot to post an update since I've upgraded to 25mbps VDSL, during the March "free activation" promo. Installation of that went ok, though the tech that was supposed to install the POTS splitter came so late (almost at 9pm) and I told him to just give me the splitter and I installed it myself. But the fun issues started afterwards... FIrst, Bell sends the shitty Cellpipe modems for wholesale VDSL service, which either aren't proper firmware for Stinger remotes, or they have bad firmware bug that makes it reboot several times a day. These issues have been known for 6 months now, and still no official fix. I have managed to get my hands on a Bell Sagemcom modem, which is entirely stable. Modem issues aside, I also experience evening congestion, due to the remote on the street only having a single GigE feed, instead of two which most of them have. It's not THAT bad, drops to about 15-18mbps on heavy days when more people are watching FibeTV, which I suspect has priority over internet. I guess they'll upgrade it some day.

Update Feb 20/2012
-----------------------------
Well, my first ever billing issue with TSI was when the February invoice came in. I was charged a $5 account change fee TWICE, for switching from Unlimited to 300GB package in January. They said that they would be waiving those charges only after Feb 2nd (when the new prices took effect), but not for those who changed in January, when the emails were sent out informing of the changes taking place starting February. They refused to credit the fee over the phone, and failed to notice that the fee was charged twice. I did get the fees eventually credited after posting about it in the forums. They handled this very poorly, as well as other announcements with regard to the Feb 2 changes in other plans.

Update Jan 25/2012
----------------------------
As of Feb 2/2012 the rates are going up thanks to the CRTC, so I've downgraded my unlimited to the 300GB package to save a few bucks. I haven't come close to 300GB in a long time, but just kept the unlimited package out of principle. Now that it's going up $5, no thanks.

Update Dec 2/2011
----------------------------
4 years with TekSavvy DSL! Still workin' great as usual!

Update Oct 4/2011
---------------------------
No problems at all, smooth sailing as usual. Coming up on 4 years with TSI DSL.

Update Nov 23/2010
--------------------------
I've not used my TSI DSL much since getting TSI Cable back in July, but I have kept it as a backup because cable was a bit iffy for the first few months. No problems with the DSL as usual.

Update April 4/2010
----------------------------
No major problems aside from a couple brief 10 minute outages in the past week due to that sneaky bug in the Juniper ERX blades dedicated to MLPPP. Can't believe its been 2 years since BHell throttled wholesale. MLPPP has been an amazing fix!

Update December 19/2009
---------------------------------------
Didin't update for a while, but there's no issues to report all is well! Still using MLPPP to evade the throttling, going on 1.5 years now.

Update September 4/2009
-------------------------------------
No problems!

Update June 28/2009
-------------------------------
TekSavvy has added more capacity in recent months as well as dedicated hardware for MLPPP. All is well!

Update March 17/2009
--------------------------------
No issues, still receiving great service from TekSavvy.

Update December 14/2008
---------------------------------------
Well, the CRTC decision came and went, and they sold out to Bell. They are supposed to rule on the subject of Net Neutrality as a whole for all ISP's in July. I'm not holding my breath, as we know big ISP's & content providers have deep pockets.

As for my TekSavvy service, everything's been great. They've have added more capacity & redundancy in the last couple months to handle the growing demand.

Update September 21/2008
----------------------------------------
No problems to speak of, all is well. The CRTC decision will be handed down October 31, I await anxiously and hope they will strike down Bell's traffic shaping. Until then, I'm still using MLPPP.

Update July 15/2008
------------------------------
No issues, everything working fine. Still using MLPPP to evade traffic shaping, as CAIP continues to battle Bell at the CRTC. I referred my cousin two months ago, one quick email to accounting and I got my referral credit applied!

Update May 27/2008
------------------------------
Well, some good news... As of a few weeks ago there has been a nice workaround for Bell's traffic shaping. MLPPP (MultiLink PPP) is working great with the help of some Linksys WRT54G router firmware modified by two determined forum members. Other methods of using MLPPP also exist, so read the forums, there are ways around the throttling!

Update April 16/2008
------------------------------
On Apr.9 my area became affected with the throttling that Bell has imposed on its entire wholesale ISP customer base. While this is obviously out of TekSavvy's control, I feel its worth mentioning here. TekSavvy & other ISP's that are a part of CAIP (Canadian Association of Internet Providers) are currently fighting this issue by filing a formal complaint with the CRTC. I fully support TekSavvy in their fight, and props to them for sticking by their customers!

Update March 13/2008
---------------------------------
No problems, enjoying great service so far.

Update Jan 11/2008
----------------------------
It's been a month after the official switchover, and it's been smooth sailing!

Dec 10/2007
------------------
Woo, finally fully switched to Teksavvy! I've been using an unlimited login since about April '07, with very few issues.

I contacted TekSavvy mid November to schedule a switch, and provided them with a cancellation # from Sympatico. Sympatico cancellation was on Dec.9, and it was processed successfully and it looks like I've transitioned smoothly with no downtime.

I will update periodically as I have with my other ISP reviews.

member for 13.3 years, 7184 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Dr Who

@204.237.84.x

Loud Tech Guy

oh my GOD i was on the phone with a girl tech support and I could not focus on what to tell her since there was someone in the backround so loud even that tech could not focus the person who was loud was also offensive and rude and made very rude and offensive comments, strange teksavvy?????

Intenet is great you offer but who do you hire ??? i mean comm'on?

loud mouths

@204.237.84.x

Very loud guy rude guy

have you guys heard a rude guy in the background when speaking to tech support. He is usually rude and and very VERY loud its funny!

I also hear like other techs talking to other people they must be setting so close to each other lol

HiVolt
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

Re: Very loud guy rude guy

I've never had to call tech support, I guess I'm lucky.
RIP Wade Belak - A Maple Leaf Forever

jhu111

@co-op.ca

Customer service agents

The internet is great, tech support is good but the customer service agents there about as dumb as sh*t. They must not have very good training, always have a problem when we call in especially when transferring services to a new location.

Got TekSavvy?
join:2008-06-03

Sweet!

Thanks for updating your review

Hello Hi-Volt,

Thank you for the updated review. I’m happy to see you are still enjoying the service with your own modem.

Please keep us posted on your TekSavvy services.

Review by spock See Profile

• Location: Victoria,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Solid speeds and good pings. Great company!"
Bad "Nothing yet!"
Overall "I love this ISP."

Dec 7, 2013

Cancelled internet due to frustration with the lack of TSI cable expansion in BC. The DSL service was great but couldn't get 50meg. Kinda sad but I'm sure I will be back if they decide to offer service in areas of BC like CIKTel does. Felt bad cancelling as this ISP is great but they just didn't have the service I wanted

Oct 5, 2013

Everything has been great with Teksavvy. I used the customer portal to initiate a speed change a while back and I received an e-mail a few days later and the speed change took effect a couple of days after that. I feel bad for the customers out east who are being messed around by rogers. I hope this gets resolved.

1 wish items for 2013

Expand cable area to other regions besides Greater Vancouver. CikTEL has great coverage but their prices are terrible for people outside Vancouver.

Thanks

Aug 5, 2013

It has been a while so I just wanted to update my review. My connection has been rock solid for well over a year. I get constant low pings and full speed. I have called in a few times about e-mail addresses and passwords and have been pleased with the support I have receive so far. They even lowered the price for my 25 meg DSL service to $44.95 .....

I have 2 items on my wish list for 2013

IPv6 - out west we need to have a full /64 be assigned to us not just a single address of the same /64 between users. I have read its being worked on which is good.

Please expand your cable service area to match what CikTEL has in the west. Places like Victoria/Nanaimo, Kelowna etc

I was looking at CikTel but I would rather stick with TSI because of the reasons above.

2012

The price was again and huge factor for me. I'm paying $48 for 25meg internet. I'm looking forward to their ipv6 enhancements. Currently we can only pull a single ip off a common /64 shared with the rest of teksavvy west customers.

I would also like to say I love their customer service. My questions have always been answered quickly in the direct and regular forums.

Comments:

TSIElizabeth
join:2012-08-20

Response.

Hey There!

Thanks for taking the time to write this. Glad to see you're enjoying the services. If you ever have any questions, feel free to get a hold of us anytime.

Cheers-
Liz
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

"Not all those who wander are lost."

Hello Spock,

Thank you for the updated review! I’m happy to see your still enjoying the TekSavvy services. I’m very happy to see you haven’t had any issues with the service and have been pleased with the support you have received when needing to contact us. That is fantastic to read!

In regards to expanding our IP Addresses we can certainly look into this for you if you would like to post in the Direct Forum I’d be happy to look into this further for you. I can also tell you that yes we are in the works to be expanding our Cable offerings on the west coast. This are currently still being worked on however keep checking back as they will be available shortly.

Thank you again for the great update! Please keep us posted on your TekSavvy Journey!!!

Thanks again
Chilli

join:2013-10-05
Canada

Teksavvy in Chilliwack

Would love to learn you can provide 25+ Mbps service to Chilliwack.

Got TekSavvy?
join:2008-06-03

Farewell

Hi Spock,

Thanks for updating your review. I am sad to see you go but I understand. I am sure that in time, we will offer what your looking for and at that time, will be waiting for you with open arms

Live Long & Prosper!

Andre
Director of Online & Operations Intelligence

TekSavvy Website | Follow Me on Twitter (@AndreCleroux)

Review by shubrown See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Low Prices. Good intentions"
Bad "Really slow"
Overall "Might not be able to take the slow speeds anymore"

I really do love teksavvy, I have been with them for almost 3 years but I feel as though I am reaching my wits end. On the one hand, I love to root for the small guys and I really want teksavvy to succeed as a company because, frankly, they seem to look out for me (us).

However, my feelings about the company is slowly shifting because they are not providing me with service that I had signed up for.

I signed up for the DSL 6 service and often I am do not have access to those speeds. I understand that teksavvy doesn't own the internet lines and sometimes they are at the mercy of the companies they rent the internet from, so I can deal with certain times that there are issues.

However, recently (the last 4 days straight) I have only been able to get 1/6 of the promised speeds. Something needs to be done about this and I am not willing to spend hours on the phone to not be able the resolve the issue. I will give this a few more days and if it doesn't improve I will have to switch. Sorry teksavvy!!

I will update this post with the speeds.

I did tests earlier but those were done though the smart phone.

Comments:

TSI Alan
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON

Thank You For Your Review!

Hello,

Thank you for your review. Sorry to hear of the slow speed issues you have encountered.

If you have not already done so, kindly post a thread in the Direct forum so we can look into this for you.

Regards,
TSI Alan (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee
Follow us on Twitter: @TekSavvyCSR; @TekSavvyNetwork

Ottawa?

Seems a bit far from where Teksavvy's main servers are.
I've heard that it's best to do your research on the origins of each ISP to understand how far they are from you.
shubrown

join:2013-11-25

Re: Ottawa?

But that's where I live, so wouldn't I choose the server closet to me?

Re: Ottawa?

Teksavvy's main headquarters is in Chatham, and last I check it's south west of Toronto closer to the borders of Michigan.

Who knows, Ottawa could be a place where you are stuck between the cracks in the floor.
DigitalRain

join:2013-03-16

Re: Ottawa?

I get better latency in Toronto than I do in Ottawa for both my cable and my dsl service with TekSavvy.

Review by roadkill401 See Profile

• Location: Oakville,ON
Good "They have staff here in Canada"
Bad "The staff has no clue what they are doing and it shows"
Overall "There may be better options out there"

This review is for a TekTalk install.

I have been a long term Teksavvy customer but I am starting to wonder why. I moved my phone service from Bell over to Teksavvy as it was less expensive, and when Bell finally dropped the Dryloop Band extortion fee in my area from $30+ down to $5, I decided to switch from a POTS service to VOIP.

What I can't figure out is that my phone was with Teksavvy, but it still took them 2 weeks to port the phone number from their POTS system over to VOIP. It was scheduled to happen on the 8th, but sadly there is no notification on when it is going to take place and pitty for you if your on the telephone at the time as you just get cut off. Well, it's one way to figure out that the change has taken place.

Now I already had a Grandstream VOIP box from them, so I had to argue with sales to convince them that I didn't need a second as the HT-502 supported two telephone lines. They want to sell you a new box as they can send them to you password locked so you can't take the hardware that you bought and use it anywhere else. Took a bit to get someone to give me the password so I can configure the second line to work. They would not give me the time of day or instructions as to what needed to be set. I ended up just swapping back and forth from the 1st line configuration to see what needed to be changed from the unit default to get it working.

A couple of days after ordering, my first VOIP telephone line goes dead. Call back out to Teksavvy and they decided to not read their own system notes and delete my PPoe logon user ID that is required for the VOIP to work. Oh sorry, but we don't give any credit back for the time lost getting it fixed or lost service.

So I finally get my services working with lots of effort on my side. They don't bother sending you any manual or even links to documentation on how to use their VOIP service. they have video's on their web site that are supposed to explain how to use it, but they are factually inaccurate and incomplete. I had to google search for the HT-502 manual to figure that out. Now 7 days after the conversion I get a bill from them for my POTS telephone service.. the one that I cancelled from them and moved to their TekTalk service. Seems they forgot to actually cancel my phone in their billing database and billed my credit card for a service that I don't actually have any more. Back on the phone with them for another hour and again.. sorry but we don't give credit back

My advice.. DON'T GO WITH TEKSAVVY for their VOIP.. they are in this purely for money and don't give a hoot about customer service. They love to bill your for extra service fees that you should not be paying for, and will make it your problem when they over bill you. They give you a credit on your account rather than simply returning the money back to your credit card.

Now, all this said: When the system is working, it works well. When I got my VDSL installed, there were issues but I am technical enough to fix most things myself and get everything working. It took about a week to get my 50/10 line working. I am getting a reasonable 45.5/7.5 speed from it. Less than I am paying for, but it was a given from Bell that I could not get the full speed as I am right on the border for distance. My internet is solid and I rarely have it go down.

The features on my VOIP phone are quite good. There are some things that bug me, like the voice messaging system can email you your messages, but their implementation only allows a single email address, not two so either my wife or I can be sent the VM, not both. They don't allow you to set your own name display for outgoing phone calls. Other advanced options are incomplete compared to the competition.

If they didn't always rub you the wrong way with their customer service then I would forgive them their issues. But to be on hold for 30-90 minutes and then get treated like a second class person. Sorry no go for me.

Comments:

TSI Jonathan
join:2011-08-24
canada

Hello Roadkill401,

Sounds like you had a painful transition from one service to another. This is not the customer experience that we strive for and I would like to fully investigate your account. If your service was down and it was caused by us, you deserve downtime credit. If we did not cancel your POTS after the transfer and charged you for it, you should be entitled to your money back. If you could please PM me your account information and I'll make sure to set the record straight.

I will also pass along your feedback internally concerning the lack of documentation to assist with our TekTalk service.

Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Review by rmackinnon See Profile

• Location: Oakville,ON
Good "I have very fast internet."
Bad "terrible customer service. They messed up the install leaving me without my phone number for 8 days."
Overall "Don't go with them if you think the install will go smoothly. "

My son convinced me to upgrade to the newer 25/10 service and get TekTalk. I wish I hadn't. If I had known how bad they were going to be, then I would have stuck with a Bell account.

They kept on changing the scheduled date and it moved around at least 3 times.

When they came to do the install, the technician who we were charged $50 for doing the install, didn't install the required line filter. Hooked up the model wrong. Hooked up the TekTalk adaptor wrong. Then decided that as we had a Power light that all was working fine and left saying if you have a problem them phone TekSavvy. Hang on a minute. We had the telephone disconnected to get the TekTalk so if the internet is not working, then how are we supposed to make a phone call?

Finnally we got out son to drive over to try and get it setup correctly. He had to go onto hold for 20 minutes using his cell phone to get the user ID and password that were not given to us so he could configure the modem correctly, as the TekSavvy tech who came didn't bother to do that.

But the fun didn't stop there. The support person who finally answered the phone could not figure out how to give the simple two pieces of information that was being asked for. We asked for the User ID and password, and it was like he was reading off a script and he could not give you want you needed until he read the 4 page script out to you first. We tried to tell him we were already logged in and just needed the ID, but he still insisted telling us how to hook up an cable that is blue to the modem, and we had to load an internet browser. Come on.. we are paying long distance on a cell phone as you didn't hook us up.

Well, after a good 30 minutes, we finally got the ID and Password so now I can get internet. The TekTalk is still not working. I had a good mind to simply tell them to take the whole lot back as they left me with a system that did not work and did not care for me as a customer.

Sorry TekSavvy, You must do better than this.

Turns out that they decided to cancel our regular phone service that was with TekSavvy without porting the number over to the TekTalk service. Now we are without our phone number for another 8 days. They seem to think that having a temp number is fine regardless that we don't know what it is, or more importantly, anyone who wants to phone us don't know it either.

**UPDATE**

The have offered to try and move the telephone number porting forward by two days. too little, too late, but better than nothing. They admitted that the person who took the order didn't understand what they were doing. They should have scheduled the VDSL upgrade to the same day as the telephone number porting, rather than 8 days apart. They refuse to give any form of compensation for the mess up on their end, rather say they will review it when everything is fixed. Will post what they did when the mess is all over.

Comments:

TSI Jonathan
join:2011-08-24
canada

Good evening,

I would like to get you some assistance in getting your services fully functional and review the phone call you had with Brent. Could you please PM me your account information?

Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.
rmackinnon

join:2013-11-22

Re: Review

I have been on hold for over 45 min and I can't seem to get anyone else other than Brent.

I'd give you my phone number, but it wouldn't do you much good at the TekTalk adaptor yuur company sent to me is configured incorrectly and I don't have the password to set it up to my correct phone number. and I don't know what number it is running at right now

Re: Review

Surprisingly the password would most likely be something simple, but requires research on the internet to figure out what it is.

Because if companies setup VOIP boxes on various units, they would have to setup a database telling them which unit has what password, which is a huge hassle. It's easier to give every one of them a single common password as it's only accessed directly on the same network.

jtl999
CEO of Team Classified

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD
·TELUS
·Shaw

Questions.

How old is your son? Just curious.
Will you punish him for recommending TekSavvy?
I was considering getting TekSavvy DSL is BC but due to problems like yours I am just ordering Telus triple play.
roadkill401

join:2011-08-12

Re: Questions.

They are disappointed with TekSavvy and not me. They screwed up and should be held accountable, but it's only forums like this where the only recourse you have against the big corporation is to tell your story and hope it hits their bottom line enough to hurt, as they have your money and there it little to nothing that you can do.

My parents original phone number when called just rings with no answer. So if someone is trying to call my parents they have no idea that they are just not getting the call. I had suggested that they could help out by arranging for the original phone number to be forwarded to the temp number for the 8 days until the number get ported. TekSavvy would have nothing to do with this saying they can't do it.. that translates to they can't be bothered to arrange it with Bell. They have no care about customer inconvenience they cause. If this happened to them and their business phone number got canned for days, hell would be raised and something would get done, but for a customer... well that is another story.

2 edits

Re: Questions.

Teksavvy isn't "Big", you have your anger directed at the wrong people. Plus it's more likely you don't know as much as you think you do.

For starters, a company is generally smaller than a corporation, and a company wouldn't call themselves a corporation if they don't have smaller companies working UNDER them.

Corporation:
a large company or group of companies authorized to act as a single entity and recognized as such in law.

Big Duopoly corporations, Rogers and Bell, must have given the average Canadian enough propaganda to think that every company is out to get them if your post is taken seriously.

When you plan out your DSL installation, delays will obviously happen. Now depending on the cities and the 'Bell' technician that comes in (not Teksavvy, the Bell technician comes with the activation fee on the internet), results varies due to how Bell is feeling at the moment.

Nobody can confirm it, but Bell obviously gives off vibes like it runs meetings on 'how to make Teksavvy users suffer more, in guise of "How to get our Bell subscribers back".
roadkill401

join:2011-08-12

Re: Questions.

Well, it shows how little you know about business. A Corporation is a legal entity and has nothing to do with the size of the business.

The issue at hand here is the level of service that TekSavvy did or did not provide. My parents were billed a $50 fee for an activation fee where they tell you that Bell and their technician will be around to get the service installed. the Bell person did come around and checked the signal levels on the DSL line to make sure that everything would work. The person that TekSavvy contracted out just came by and made sure that the power light worked on the modem and left saying phone up Teksavvy to get it working.

How are you supposed to do that when the phone service was terminated. The screw up was on TekSavvy's end in how they processed the order.

My parents asked for the DSL line to be upgraded from the older 5/700k service to a newer 25/10 service. They also wanted the phone number ported over to TekTalk. The two items are not tied to each other. THEY COULD HAVE: upgraded the DSL to the newer speed that would not have touched the POTS phone line at all. Then 8 days later, removed the POTS service from the line (converting it to a DRY LOOP) and ported the telephone number over to TekTalk. But they did not do that. They CANCELLED the POTS service when they did the upgrade a full 8 days before the number was scheduled to be transferred.

The tech who came by didn't test the internet connection to make sure it worked before leaving. Didn't test the TekTalk (that needs the internet to work) before leaving. So left the customer with nothing working and no means to get it working. I don't see TekSavvy advertising that you need to have a degree in Computer Science to get their service working. NO. The customer has an expectation that when an install is done, it would work.

If you bought new windows for you house, would you expect the company to come and remove your old windows and leave you the new ones to install yourself? No, the expectation is that you have paid for new windows to be installed and working. I can understand delays and issues, but TekSavvy has washed it's hands clean of this issue and said it's their problem not ours now go away and stop baulking about it.

If nobody says anything then why would you expect anything to change for the better?

·ITalkBB

What's the odd of Bell Spies working at Teksavvy technician jobs?

Because what kind of person would be called a technician if he doesn't understand how a DSL works?

Chances are it's a Bell Technician, not Teksavvy.
When you order a DSL you get a Bell Technician with that cost, and Teksavvy techician would cost extra if needed at a later time.

See, what you paid for is the 'activation' cost technician.

It's suppose to be 40 dollars activation fee though, no idea where 50 dollars came from.

As for the support teams... It's much better to contact DSLreport sites to get a direct communication here. It seems that the phone support teams have limited training sometimes for some odd reason.

Makes me wonder if they outsource their phone support to another company?

Review by UnHappyinBR See Profile

• Location: Belle River,ON
Good "They are very, very sorry"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "They were a mistake"

I wanted to drop my home phone line and DSL modem from Bell for all the obvious reasons; number one being cost. My home phone line was $43 a month with tax and the only features I had were call display and unlisted number. I picked up an OOMA from Costco (voip system) and installed it while Bell was still running. Good system and my monthly bill is now $5 a month. Teksavvy was a little cheaper than Bell and I was very frustrated with their DSL modem; always an issue. After my 3rd refurbished modem had issues; I had given up on them. That was tough; since I had the same sympatico email address for over 10 years.

I signed with Teksavvy and purchased all the DSL equipment from them. They told me I could get Cable instead of DSL. Cogeco reconfirmed that there is no cable on my street and Teksavvy doesn't have good information; so DSL was my only choice. They offer 300 gigs vs. the 120 I get from Bell (I paid extra just to get to 120 gigs). We weren't allow to keep our old bell phone number as well - very angry that the government allows Bell to do this!

Teksavvy sales told me someone from TekSavvy would be out to the house to configure the modem, etc. My wife stayed home all day and we found out that Bell just shows up to install a dry loop since we were not keeping our phone line. I called Teksavvy at 3pm to ask what was going on and found out that new piece of information. Bad start already. Bell person came at 4pm.

By 9pm that night - bell internet was still working, I thought I would try the new modem from Teksavvy. I got it all connected - red internet light on the modem. I called tech support. Long wait times. Eventually talked to a nice guy, who couldn't help at first because I have "case manager" but they don't work past 9pm and he could get in trouble if he helped me. Several long waits on hold when he told me he could help me. We reset the modem SIX times. The menu to configure the modem was not on the screen (BTW: I actually work in the IT Field). He said the modem was probably in bridge mode; we may have to reset it up to 6 times. So that's what we did. Still nothing. By this point it was 11pm and I went to bed.

Called this morning from work - they have no idea what the issue is and wanted to troubleshoot over the phone. Sounds like the modem is "easy" to configure but there are no options to configure it because its in bridge mode. I spoke to the "case manager" this morning - she was less than pleasant. Every time I speak to Teksavvy the recognize they have issues; but they don't do anything for me other than explain how they should fix their "issues". I agree. Still I'm paying for internet and have no internet and its my job to fix it. I ordered 30 days in advance; they had time to ready for this.

Side note: When I was shopping around (clearly I did a bad job shopping around), they told me I could get Cable - should have been my first clue not to sign up. Then they took my address that I supplied them and they used it to ship me some silly poster. Why, I don't know. It didn't fit in my end of the street little mailslot so I had to go out of my way to go to Canada Post on a busy Saturday, thinking it might be something important to find this poster they shipped me. They could have asked if I wanted it. Why I would want it is beyond me. I had no idea they would do this - why not at least ask me before shipping me this "gift"?

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello UnHappyinBR,

Thank you for the review. I regret to read this review, it doesn’t sound very pleasant at all. This isn’t the type of service or experience we want for our customers. I would like to review your account and see what has happened here. Can you please send us a message in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct with your account information please?

Bell Technicians

Apparently it's not obvious enough, but ACTIVATION is done by Bell Technicians, not Teksavvy!

If you want a real Teksavvy technician to fix things, it will cost extra, which is why the Bell Technician comes with the activation fee.

If you don't have a Bell Phone service in a household, then you will have to pay a $5 dry loop fee every month on top of the service (it's a way for Bell to make a tip and not shut their door on Teksavvy).

Finally, the modems vary depending on what service level you are getting. If you get a VDSL modem, which basically means a service greater than 15/1, you're most likely going to get a working functional modem.

If it's a ADSL, which is sub 15/1, it's most likely older modems which are configured differently.

Sometimes you can buy a modem and activate the services yourself by giving them your MAC Address, having good researching tools and knowledge helps you save money there and lets you configure the thing better.

I think the best solution both Teksavvy and DSLreports needs to do:
Create a Network steps checklist!

A list that is publicly available to everyone, which teaches them the number of steps that should be setup properly so people don't skip over stuff.

Example (Activating a DSL service with teksavvy):
1) Make sure the line is active and functioning
2) Make sure all required filters and lines are functioning (dry loop check too!)
3) Make sure you plug and power up the modem, then connect it to a computer to check it's settings (hint: 192.168.2.1) via browser.
4) If all settings are proper, you can possibly connect the phone line in to attempt connections.

By problem solving from 1 to 4 you can figure out where problems stem from as you are isolating them from various steps.

For instance, at step 1 you wouldn't be able to see if it's active or functioning without the providers saying so, but plugging in a phone to the jack and seeing if it makes noises or not is one example of figuring if the line is active.

Then from that point on is simply trial and error.

Review by hoople See Profile

Good "Value."
Bad "Nothing serious."
Overall "S'good."

I've been a customer for at least a year. It's good and I would recommend it to others. Keep in mind in this review I have not needed to use technical support or experienced connection issues.

Good things:

- Coming from Bell I really appreciate the no contract and no marketing. Bell had originally had me on an unlimited plan that was grandfathered, and periodic calls where salesmen tried to trick you to agreeing price increases and cap decreases were a constant theme over the years.

- Price decrease which I used as an opportunity to upgrade from 6/1 to 15/1. Transition went smoothly with no downtime after a phone call to sales and a technician visit.

Other things:

- When changing DSL plans from 6/1 to 15/1 there was a mistake in the order which signed me up for 25/10 and a modem purchase. Support was always friendly and a short phone call the next morning sorted it out. In the future if I have to make a change I'll probably do it through the web portal if I can to avoid an error.

- I see they use ZyXel modem now. At the time of purchase I got a Thomson from them for convenience, and the firmware is flaky at best. I have learned to save the configuration file to my PC as the modem occasionally corrupts its own (twice so far). WiFi signal from it is weak but it is a non-issue with my previous router.

- Speed at my location in southwestern Ontario is acceptable. That said I haven't been able to get more than 12.2 megabits from the 15 megabit plan.

Other thoughts:

- Technician had it too easy the two times when he has come to my house for initial service setup and after changing plans. As soon as he sees everything is working he points me to speedtest.net and is gone within not even three minutes.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

review

Hello Hoople,

Thank you for the TekSavvy review! I am very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your service.
I do apologize for the mix up when submitting an upgrade for you, however am very happy we were able to correct this quickly for you. I am happy you are receiving consistent speeds, if you would like to see if we can increase your speeds a little closer to the 15 mbps connection please send us a message in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We would be more than happy to investigate this a little further for you.

Thank you again for this great review.

Review by ed_scott0013 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Stable service, good support, and excellent value!"
Bad "Can be frustrating when the connection goes down."
Overall "Definitely worth a look; A great alternative to the larger providers."

Before I begin, I'm going to give you some background on my DSL/Telephone services:

In 2008, I had Bell High-Speed Internet (5/1) as well as Bell Home Phone (basic, no frills phone). As soon as I could, I dropped the Bell High Speed (check out my other review for the details) and switched to TekSavvy DSL (also 5/1). But due to contracts, and house moves, etc. I was using the standard home phone service for the next 5 years. No complaints about that, other than the price (no value for money, costs steadily climbing, etc.)

All in all, the price was about $90 per month for the two ($40 for TekSavvy DSL and $50 for Bell basic home phone, taxes included).

Now, I'm paying $62 monthly for TekSavvy DSL 15/1 + TekTalk Unlimited, which gives me many more features for the money. Honestly, I was pretty giddy when I saw the options I had access to when I logged into the TekTalk portal. Custom rules for call forwarding/blocking? Voice mail messages listenable online? Unlimited long distance in North America? All awesome!

Anyways, since the focus of this review is supposed to be the DSL, I'll get right on it: It's amazing when it works, but can be frustrating when it doesn't.

When everything is working as intended, it's pretty much unicorns and rainbows all the way down: It's a solid 15 Mbps download (with approx. 700 kbps upload). Gaming is snappy, no lags when chatting with my friends, and huge patches (GB sized patches) and games from Steam (multi-GB sized games) can max out the connection with little issue.

In my experience with TekSavvy, I've had three occurrences of bad DSL service: the first one was when for some reason, my house was connected to the wrong DSLAM (is that even possible?) but after some quick troubleshooting by the great folks on the TekSavvy Direct Forum here on DSLReports, a Bell tech came out and fixed me up.

The second occurrence was when I got switched over to TekTalk, but that wasn't their fault at all... I was too impatient and didn't wait for the analog telephone adapter to do its magic before trying to use the phone. Even though it was my issue, the TekSavvy techs on the phone were super helpful.

As a side note: my transition from TekSavvy DSL 6/1 + Bell Landline to TekSavvy DSL 15/1 + TekTalk Unlimited VOIP was as seamless as it could be. Number ported over without incident, dry loop set up, everything working as intended... after I let the ATA do its thing, of course.

The third occurrence was recently, when my previously solid 15/1 service became more like a 6/1 service with frequent disconnects. Another round of diagnostics with the TS Direct Forum guys, another Bell technician, and I'm back in the game again.

All these issues aside, these guys are willing to work with you to get your problems solved. To me, that's important. If you want a good (who am I kidding... great!) DSL provider, TekSavvy is a solid choice.

Tech details:
- DSL Modem: Thomson Speedtouch ST516 (purchased from TekSavvy with original 5/1 DSL)
- Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA): Grandstream HT502 (purchased from TekSavvy with TekTalk VOIP)
- Router: D-Link DIR-625 (purchased from FutureShop)

Random notes:
- When calling in to TekSavvy support, the "call back" option is great. That way I'm not draining the battery on my cell phone while I'm on hold.
- If you're able, the TekSavvy Direct Forum is the go-to place to get your issues solved. I much prefer that to calling. The only downside is that the overall time taken to resolve the issue is longer, but for me that is not a huge deal (luckily I have Internet access from work/friends).
- Even though they are relying on Bell for their techs and lines and such, I'm very pleased with the service turnaround times and overall performance.
- During my time with TekSavvy, my DSL service costs actually went DOWN (from $34.99 to $32.99) while my performance went UP (6/1 to 15/1 and 200 GB transfer to 300 GB transfer). Gotta love that.

member for 8.6 years, 287 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Ed_Scott0013,

Thank you very much for this great review. I am very pleased to see you have had minimal issue with your service and you’re receiving consistent speeds. I am also very delighted to hear your DSL upgrade and number port to TekTalk went seamlessly. I do apologize for any issue you have had with the service however am happy we were able to resolve these quite quickly for you.

Please continue to keep us updated on your service and if you have any further questions please message us in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct .

Thanks again for this review
TSI-ashleigh

Review by TTYL See Profile

• Location: Peterborough,ON
Good "Good price - mean well - not bell!!"
Bad "support"
Overall "happy customer here"

I promised reivew & tho im away on business i recommend...... install took awhile but so far 8 months and am happy. been old direct forums help so i will try that next time i need help

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Your Review

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Glad to see you are satisfied with your service.

Best Regards,
Martin

Review by trivalice See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Excellent speeds, reasonably fast support"
Bad "Webportal could be better"
Overall "Great alternative from the bigger companies"

Former customer of Rogers Cable and was tired of the slow upload and random lag during online gameplay. Ordered in Teksavvy DSL and scheduled service for a Friday while the hardware came in much earlier. Bell technician arrived early around 2PM and finished quickly. Second technician came around 6PM and the process of the wiring and testing took about 20 minutes.

Activating the service was a problem since it wasn't very clear in the email where to put in your credentials. Called in for support and the wait time was around 15 minutes but resolved quickly. Tested speed was immediately as fast as advertised.

Within the first 24 hours of service, there were some random drops in connection. Internet would just go out and there would be no other solution except to reset the modem. A post of the forum resolved this within an hour and my service has been fine ever since then.

I'm not sure if it's an issue with the modem but the wireless option seems to be a bit flaky on it. While connecting through it via ethernet is perfect, the wireless doesn't seem to be able to maintain the speeds despite being only a room away from the modem.

The online webportal could have some more features. It currently doesn't display the data cycle so I'm assuming the bandwidth limitations reset at the beginning of each month. It would be nice to see a day by day usage and service cycle date.

Overall, I'm quite happy with how it turned out in the end. The new 10mbs upload speed is significantly better than what I was getting with Rogers and actually allows me to stream on Twitch. There hasn't been any hiccups in the connection ever since the fix on the forum. Here's hoping DSL technology progresses more and gets even better speeds at reasonable rates.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Trivalice,

Thank you for the review. I am happy you are enjoying the service with minimal issues. This is stupendous to read. I am happy to hear your enjoying the new 10 mbps upload speeds. If you are using a modem with a built in router and am not finding the signal range to be ideal for your home you may want to use a separate wireless router to ensure your receiving a strong wireless signal. We have many customer’s doing this currently to ensure a strong wireless signal in the home. In regards to the online portal this is being upgraded currently. The new version hasn’t been released yet however will have many more features and will be much more customer friendly. Keep checking our website for the new portal.

Thank you again for the review, please keep us posted on your TekSavvy journey.