TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by chris127638 See Profile

• Location: m4b183
Bad "absolutely corrupt"

Worst service i have ever experienced in my entire life. A completely dysfunctional, poorly structured and organized company. Horrible and untrained customer service. I've been a teksavvy customer for over 3 years and honestly I've never really had a problem until recently and I was so disturbed and offended by their lack of consideration or value to a loyal client but also by their inability to take responsibility for their negligence. On the 1st of April I requested a transfer of service to my new address and arranged for a service tech to come to my house on the 8th. Assuming the service fees would be charged to my account and that the sales agent neglecting to inform me I needed to pay for the service fee prior to installation, I booked work off and waited for 6 hours for a technician to show and never did. I called to enquire as why and they told be it was because I never paid the fee. Might I add that they neglected to email me an invoice for the service bill therefore I had no way of knowing my service was dependant on payment prior to the technician coming nor did I have an exact amount that I could pay them. After a account manager confirmed my story as true, I paid the service fee plus they had told me i had an oustanding ballance from my previous address that I needed to pay in order for them to process the new service, not thinking I paid it and a date set for the 16th of April. Booked off another day of work and waited and waited. No tech. Nor did I receive a phone call updating me on the status of my service or that there was a delay and the tech would be late or not be able to show. So I called and spoke to an account manager who told me that pretty much he doesn't know what is going on and that because it is a bell technician who was assigned I'd have to find out from bell. So no resolution still. He told me that when they are updated with a new time they will let me know. The next day no phone call. No tech. So I called again at 8pm. Find out that a technician had come and was able to do his business without even coming into the house in the first place and that the Internet is ready and working. Thus Making the two days booked off work redundant and costing me 300$ in wages and a whole lot of my time. Plus I was informed by another account manager tthat I wasn't supposed to be charged for a "previous balance" because I had already paid for my last month's bill at the old address and it was just an accounting error. This whole situation negatively affected mine and my roommates academic life, work life and personal life and consumed a great deal of my time plus stress. And when I asked for compensation I was offered a insulting $15 credit for the 2 weeks I've been out of Internet. I was apauled and felt so insulted that everything this endeavour cost me in then end and none of it was even taken into account. I canceled my service and they took the $100 it cost me for the installation. Unforgettable.

Comments:

TSI Jon

Hi chris127638,

I would like to review your account and see if there is anything that I can do. It seems that we dropped the ball a few times and I would like to make it right. Could you please PM me with your account information?

Hi chris127638,

I believe I was able to locate your account and spent some time reviewing what happened to ensure we work on where we dropped the ball.

Looks like April 4th you called and spoke to one of our customer service representative. You placed a move order where the representative failed to advise you that payment was needed prior to processing your move order. We will definitely have this rectified and ensure that the representative is aware of this. The tentative dates provided to you at that point were for the 10th, 11th and 12th until we received confirmation on one of them from our vendor.

An email was sent on the 4th advising of the payment amount for the move. We then contacted you on the 7th and 8th and left voice mails on both dates to advise you that we were still waiting on the payment. You then called back on the 8th to find out why we were calling you about a payment. At that point you were advised that the move was not processed as we were waiting on the payment first since we are prepaid. Since your due date is on the 7th of every month, the payment you made on the 8th was for the month of service that was due the day before. The next payment you made on the 10th included another month of service plus the move fee. That was another fail on our part as you should have only had to pay for your move. I will get in touch with our accounting manager to ensure this is looked into and rectified if not already.

Your move order was then pushed on the 10th tentatively for the 16th, 17th and 18th which our vendor confirmed the 16th as the move date. They also confirmed that a technician was required. The 16th came around and no tech came. When you called us, we advised you we needed to wait until midnight to receive the update from our vendor as to why they did not show up.

The next day, our vendor advised us they needed to reschedule for the 17th (same day) which they were able to complete without access to your residence. You called us in the evening which is when we saw that your order was completed. Compensation for two weeks was offered but you were looking for a couple of months and the activation fee. The supervisor you spoke with said he could only offer two weeks and you've advised that you would get back to us.

I certainly want to apologize for the issues you encountered with the moving process. I would still like to discuss the situation further with you. I will await on your PM to confirm that the account I have is in fact yours as there are a few things off from what you've described and will go from there.

Review by Viral See Profile

• Location: Windsor,ON
Good "Quick, Painless, Tech was very polite and ensured there was sync directly to the modem!"
Bad "We had to explain a few times to the Tech where and why we wanted it installed where it is now."
Overall "Great service, friendly representatives, GREAT PRICE! (Cheaper than Cable for the speed)"

I've been a TekSavvy customer for about 2 years now on their Cable 14 (now Cable 20) and have been more than happy with their service.

I was shocked when I checked and found out I qualified for 50.0 on DSL. In this area we only get 6.0, so I had to use Cable to get the speeds I needed. I was so happy once I moved and this location qualified for 50.0 on the Bell website. I called over to TekSavvy and spoke to Jenn and she confirmed the information and submitted my order. Seconds later I received my confirmation e-mail with the dates I selected for installation.

Since the service required a VDSL modem I purchased the SmartRG 505N.

Everyone I spoke to was very professional and I was expecting to be sold a Bell service from the technician, but he was very courteous. I had to explain to the technician a few times where and why I wanted it installed in my office/gaming room, he went into the basement to check the wiring to see if there was an alternate way to install without damaging my home. (I was prepared for him to drill through the wall)

The tech was here for about an hour but did a magnificent job and setup a jack and even took the time to confirm there was sync on the line!

Great work TekSavvy, keep up the great work on the CRTC front!

member for 3 years, 139 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

RE: Review by Viral

Hello Viral,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this excellent review!

Glad to hear that everything went smoothly for your transition to DSL. Should you have any questions or concerns please feel free to either reach out to us in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum or call an agent at 1-877-779-1575.

Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

Review by rizlo100 See Profile

• Location: Aurora,ON
Good "Canadian Staff, technologically forward company"
Overall "Excellent service, well recommended."

Update 4/16/2014:

Well, it's been a few years and despite TSI's growing pains, I'm still a loyal TSI DSL customer. Since my last update, I've moved 3 times and taken my service with me with minimal interruptions. Most recently, I moved into a old house (over 100yrs) and ordered 2 VDSL (25/10) lines to the house and cancelled my existing line at my apartment. TSI's customer service rep was very patient and was able to handle my large order and long list of tasks that needed to be completed for the move.
On the install date, a bell tech showed up. Discovered only 1 pair was currently run to the house, so he ran me a completely new drop from the nearby remote. He made sure my modems synced up without issue (infact, they'll sync much higher than TSI's current service offerings!) and ensured I was seeing good speed. TSI ensured I had all the information and hardware needed prior to the tech showing up.

Over all, another excellent experience and still one of the only ISP's that can provide a technical user with the service and features he wants!

Update 9/5/2011:

So it's been a couple of years now and still no complaints really. The bandwidth usage has even been INCREASED by 100GB.

I still stand by my original review. To this date I have yet to find a company that can provide the services I need at a reasonable cost. Looking forward to new offerings from TSI as they come out!

Original:
Been with TSI (DSL) for just over a year after the local ISP I was working at was purchased. While they are limited in the speed offerings they make up for it in service. No other company was able to provide the services I needed at anywhere near the same cost.

Over all I recommend to everyone!

Comments:

TSI Keith
join:2012-07-09

Your Review

Hello there,

Thanks for the recent update, we are always thrilled to receive feedback from our customers. I'm glad to hear all went well with the recent move and that the Bell tech was able to provide the line you needed.

If you ever do have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to reach out to us in the »TekSavvy Direct forum.

Thanks again,
Keith
TSI Keith Online Services Account Manager - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Review by unavailable See Profile

• Location: New Westminster,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Price looks attractive when you see it"
Bad "Business"
Overall "Glad I did not sign up"

Failed TekSavvy switch report:
(updated below)

I have been with Telus since 2005. Last month I noticed that I am paying $60 for what new clients pay $30 and TekSavvy clients pay $45 for. So I decide to defect to Teksavvy.

Contact them. Rep #1 tells me I should do $this and wait. I do and wait. In the meantime I create an account - turns out, there are different accounts for Support and Account: Support account stays logged in, Account account doesn't. 2 accounts to remember. *Red flag #1*.

A few days later rep #2 writes to inform me my order cannot go through, because what rep #1 told was incomplete or false. House divided cannot stand, eh? *Red flag #2*

And I am not even a paying customer yet, right? Wrong: in the meantime they've sent me the modem. I did not receive it and not going to, but I still owe them $10 for shipping (understandable) and $25 for "restocking fee" (what?)

I paid by credit card, they promise to send me a cheque - is it because of money laundering or book cooking?

Rep #3 from cancellation department asked questions that he did not want to know the answers to and talked louder than me at the same time, trying to convince me that I am an idiot.

Magnificent experience and cheap education.

Stuck with Telus forever, it seems. Tried to switch to Shaw years ago (first they told me everything was good to go, then after I waved goodbye to Telus, Shaw found out they can't get cable connection to my house), now to TekSavvy - same manure.

They don't compete. Their response to any raised brow is "Everyone does it". Well, true - there is no choice.

Wow, it's not over yet! Turns out, I need to call them again - they apparently can't press the "Delete this customer record" button without yelling at me once more.

== UPD #1: 2 days later: ==

User TSI Andre says they would do the refund. Will report here if it ever happens. If there are more staff like TSI Andre, all may not be lost.

Meanwhile, I removed ratings of 3 criteria that I never had a chance to experience: Connection reliability, Tech support and Services (even though I think I had a sufficient preview of the last one).

== UPD #2: another 2 days later ==

Everything developed according to TSI Andre's clairvoyance: the refund has hit my account to the last penny on the day it was supposed to. I am unaccustomed to such level of customer service.

The lessons I learned: (1) TekSavvy can be supremely fast, precise and helpful when it wants to, and (2) Not everyone at TekSavvy is clueless.

Comments:

TSI Keith
join:2012-07-09

your review

Hello there,

Thank you for your feedback and for bringing these issues to our attention. I'd like to look into this for you from my end and see if there's anything we can do to help make this right. Could you please post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum or send me a PM TSI Keith See Profile with your account info so we can investigate further.

Keith
TSI Keith Online Services Account Manager - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

TSI Keith,

What are you going to investigate, sorry?

I don't want to be a TekSavvy customer. I failed to appreciate TekSavvy's incompetence and arrogance.

I already have an unaccountable ISP to be a client of, don't need a clone, thank you.

The only thing you could help me with is getting rid of that creative $25 "restocking" fee - are you interested?

Hi there,

We want to investigate your account so we can make sure we improve ourselves by coaching where necessary and investigating processes where they failed.

The restocking fee is specific on the situation. Once we investigate we can also make the determination whether it should stick or not for your situation.

Re: your review

Are you trying to make me work on improving your service in exchange for a mirage of $25? That's why I don't want to have to deal with TekSavvy.

Keep the change, I'll do it for free. Here's how to fix TekSavvy ("you" below means "TekSavvy decision makers", not TSI Andre):

1. Stop trying to project the image of being different. You are not. Profits come from delivering less than you promise, whether you are TekSavvy or anyone else. Pretending otherwise makes you look like a bunch of either idiots or hypocrites.

2. Get rid of Easter egg fees like this $25 and god knows what other surprises you have in store. It's plain bad taste. Also, setup fee? Seriously? Bad taste and greed go together well, it seems. It's bad customer experience, how hard is it to figure out? Are you not a customer of other businesses? What do you like and not like about the way they treat you? If you love money so much, charge me $50/mo instead of $44, but draw a line, stop there, stop ripping me off. One-time rip-off is a poor business model: "On average, loyal customers are worth up to 10 times as much as their first purchase."

3. If one rep says one thing and another - another, the company is incompetent. In my case, if one rep says I don't need to warn Telus and then it turns out that my $250+ order is halted because I should have warned (note the past tense) Telus, it's highly annoying, because nobody can change the past.

4. You can't fix your reps, because they don't care, because slavery doesn't work. Tell your top brass to treat every staff member like they treat themselves. It's called humility, the opposite of hubris. When reps feel heard and respected for caring about customers, they will want to care about customers. Currently they care about their paycheck.

5. Try to keep it simple: I pay you, you deliver the service, one flat fee, one flat service. No tricks, no ifs, buts, just a simple transaction. The less you try to fleece me, the more you will milk me through the years. Don't let your greed rule you. That would be different, btw, - that very same different that you are pretending to be.

Best wishes.

Re: your review

I am not trying to make you work at all. I am simply asking you to provide us your account info so we can use your situation to better ourselves.

You take time from your day to post a review on how bad your experience was with us but when we ask you to take 30 seconds of your time to provide us with a 6-7 digit number so we can better the overall customer experience (something that I am sure you would have appreciated to have been better in your case), you essentially tell us to shove it.

If that is how you want to leave it, then fine, I will leave it as-is.

if you truly care about customer service and overall experiences you have with companies you deal with, then take the time to send us your info.

Have a good day.

Re: your review

>> provide us your account info so we can use your situation to better ourselves

This is called user experience research and companies that want to improve pay for it, because it's work.

Will this help: cancellation 625854X367273 ?

Thank you.

This will help. Thanks.

Investigation

Hi Unavailable,

First of all, I wanted to thank you for providing the account info.

Keith and I have reviewed the account in great detail and here is a small summary of the things we could have done better in my opinion (please correct me if I am wrong):

1) You called in prior to placing your order and our associate failed to inform you that you should be submitting a cancellation for your existing Telus services for the same date that we would be installing services. This would of avoided your order being rejected.

- I will be sending an email to that associate's leader to ensure proper coaching is delivered to ensure this does not happen again.

2) Due to the rejection provided in point 1, this led you to the cancellation of your service. We did review the call between you and Kyle (the cancellation call) which in my opinion could have been handled much better on our end. I am quiet upset on how this call was handled on our end.

- I will be having a discussion with Kyle's leader and also the head of Customer Service to ensure this is appropriately coached. This includes his behaviour, the Shipping/Restocking fee you should not be charged that he said you would be & the miscommunication to you where you had asked for a follow-up email on what needed to be done to fully cancel the account. He should of had advised you that he was performing the final step of the cancellation.

3) A few minutes after your cancellation call, I see that you updated a web ticket that we had originally opened once the order was rejected. You had stated that you had not received an email from Kyle that he had promised you. We had responded to your email stating that you would need to call in to cancel your services.

- This was incorrect as the associate should had known by reading the notes on your account that you had already cancelled the account a short while prior. I will email this associates leader to ensure appropriate coaching is delivered.

Here is what I am going to do for you in regards to your cancellation:

1) I see that you did not pick up the modem, so I will be calling Canada Post to ensure they send it back to us.

2) On Monday, I will speak with our accounting department to ensure we send you a full refund. Refunds are performed via checque. If you would prefer to receive it via EFT, please let me know and I will have someone reach out to you on Monday to collect the needed details for that.

I do have one favour to ask. Although your first impression of us was quickly tarnished but us not providing you the correct information causing a rejection, I feel that your rating in this review is not correctly reflecting your experience. What I mean by this is that you rated a few items at 0 however you never actually got far enough to experience those experiences of our services. Example, you rated Tech Support at 0 but your service was never installed, nor did you ever speak to them. Connection reliability, you put 50 however you never had service with us.

I am not asking you to provide us a good rating as we clearly dropped the ball on your situation however I would appreciate if you could N/A the parts that are not pertinent to your experience.

Please let me know on the refund method and we will touch base with you on Monday.

Re: Investigation

TSI Andre,

It's a rarity to see a man who does his job.

I removed the ratings for what I did not last long enough to experience. (I rated these options in the first place because I did not know I could leave a few radio buttons blank.)

EFT sounds good.

Thank you.

Re: Investigation

You are very welcome and thank you as well. I will have someone contact you Monday for the eft info.

Have a good weekend

Call

Call should be coming your way shortly.

Re: Call

And so it did. So far so good. Thank you.

Re: Call

No problem

Review by windowswill See Profile

• Location: Chatham,ON
Good "Variety of services, fairly consistent speeds"
Bad "Poor customer service as the company grows."
Overall "Old Teksavvy was good. Avoid the new Teksavvy if you can..."

I have been a Teksavvy customer since 2009 when I signed up for phone and DSL. The staff was knowledgeable, and the service was great. When I moved to a new place, I was asked if I wanted to participate in a beta test of their new cable service. Being the gigantic techie that I am, of course I said yes.

I signed up for the 14mbps unlimited package and paid full price, plus the $99.95 for the all new modem and the $65 for installation. I kept paying my $42.88/mo despite constant outages and slowdowns because I knew they were working out the kinks and in the end, I'd have a great cable internet service to look forward to. And I did, until the day the cable packages officially came online, at which point I found out that I had been reduced from unlimited to a 300GB cap.

I don't particularly recall if I complained, but knowing myself, I most likely did. But I have accepted that I had a 300GB cap until recently when the CRTC rules changed for internet plans to feed more money to the Robelus big 3... At this point, Teksavvy had grown massively and I received an email informing me that I would have to change to a more expensive plan if I wanted to keep a truly high speed connection. When I called in, not only were they very rude in telling me that I had no say in the matter, they also told me that I would have to buy a new modem in order to change my plan as mine was a DOCSIS 2 and I needed a DOCSIS 3 modem at a cost of $99.95 and they weren't going to take my old modem as a trade in, so there was nothing I could do about the cost.

After many phone calls and finally having to threaten court action just to get my feelings across, I was finally told that they weren't able to forcibly change my package to the 10mbps because of line issues. What I wasn't told, was that I had been quietly reduced to a cap of 150GB. So I have been stagnating with my connection, being careful of what I download and how long I play games online for the past year. But now it's time to move, in both senses of the word.

I'm moving in with some friends and we are keeping my internet, so I called Teksavvy to see about moving my service to the new place. I was, of course told that I wouldn't be able to move my current internet or my current modem. In fact, the only difference between this call and the calls a year ago is that they will take my old modem as a trade in for $20 credit toward a new modem. Too little, too late Teksavvy.

I have found a new company that will provide me a 20mbps/2mbps unlimited cable internet connection for $54.95/mo and $79.95 is their regular modem price. Compare that to $79.95/mo for the same thing from Teksavvy. Sorry Teksavvy, we've had some good times, but I'll be calling in this week to set a cancellation date...

Updated 8/4/2014: Forgot to actually rate the first time, so I fixed that.

Comments:

TSI Jon

Hello windowswill,

It looks like there was a few things that you were not informed of. Could you please PM me your account information and I will gladly look into this with you.

Hi again windowswill,

Thank you for providing me with your account information. I was able to look further into your account. It looks like we did not mention a few key points to you which was a bad on our part. When you came in to the office to make the initial payment, you had also made a change in speeds, you were not placed on the unlimited for the speeds you wanted to change to. You were on and placed on a 300 gigs package. This was an error on our part, you were on 300gigs for a very long time.

When the CRTC decision about CBB came around, we changed a bunch of our packages and you were switched from that 300 gigs to 150 gigs to retain the same price. We sent out emails to all of the customers affected informing them of package changes. However it looks like the usage limits were not included in the emails (only the name of the package was introduced). Our sincere apologies that these changes were not communicated to you properly.

As for the modem, the $20 discount on swapping from a DOCSIS2 to a DOCSIS3. It's something we have to abide by as our vendors are phasing out the older technologies. There has been full threads discussing this in this forum where we've explained in great details the reasons and in result we implemented the $20 discount to upgrade modems. I am unsure if the reason you were not made aware of this the first time around was because it may not have been implemented yet.

It's unfortunate that we will be parting ways on a bad note. I do see you looked into our ability to price match. Unfortunately at this time we do not. Hopefully we will do business with you again at some point.

I have taken this feedback and we will pass it on internally to improve ourselves going forward.

Review by MarkBogus See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Tech Support was great"
Bad "Installation dates changed without notice, modem not configured correctly"
Overall "A few bumps in the installation, but well worth the switch"

I switched to Teksavvy from another independent ISP who could not (or would not) upgrade my 6Mbps ADSL connection. The order process went smoothly, and I received my new modem (Zyxel VSG 1432) very quickly. However my installation date was moved back twice and I was not notified; the way I found out was to post a message asking for confirmation of the install date on the Teksavvy Direct Support forum. I was also told that I had to be home for the installation (remember that I already had DSL service). This turned out to be incorrect because Telus did the install and activation remotely.

As it turned out, Telus did something wrong because I had no DSL connection. After running through the usual checklist, Teksavvy Tech Support submitted a ticket to Telus, and the problem was resolved in less than 24 hours (at no extra cost to me of course, since the problem was on the Telus side).

I had a DSL connection, but no internet access. So I contacted Teksavvy Tech Support via telephone, and we determined that my modem was not configured properly; it was set up for ADSL service when in fact I am on VDSL2 service. So we set up a new WAN Interface file and that fixed the problem. Tech Support was knowledgeable, patient, and persistent. I have nothing but good things to say about my interactions with them.

The connection is fast and stable: I am on the 25/2 DSL plan and I get 24.6 down and 2.8 up consistently.

»speedtest.net/result/2374894276.png

Overall, I am very happy with my Teksavvy experience thus far.

Updates to follow

December 24, 2012 Update

I started a Line Monitoring session on December 17, and received my first weekly report today:

Outage report as seen by new jersey USA ny-monitor.dslreports.com
--------------------------------------
UP 2012-12-17 04:03:39 - 2012-12-24 03:33:35 (1004 samples)
** Your IP had 100% reachability during the period!

Outage report as seen by san francisco USA 64.81.79.40
--------------------------------------
UP 2012-12-17 04:04:05 - 2012-12-24 03:33:35 (1003 samples)
** Your IP had 100% reachability during the period!

In fact the only issues I have had with my connection have been when I was monkeying with my router settings and had to reboot. Speed is consistently 24.6 down and 2.8 up.

January 16, 2013

One month on and very happy with with the DSL service. The Zyxel modem is rock solid reliable and the connection is stable and always up. I have learned that I cannot let TCP max out my upload bandwidth lest my download speed suffer, but hey, that is the nature of TCP.

March 30, 2014

The ZyXel VSG1432 modem suddenly failed on March 19, 2014, after 15 months. The failure mode was no PPPoE login in either router or bridge mode, and therefore no internet. After a couple of wrong turns with Tech Support, and escalating to Telus (remote line and DSL diagnosis) we determined that the modem was the problem.
I ordered a replacement, which arrived in 5 business days, and was back up and reconnected in about 10 minutes. Total down time was 10 days, which is not bad, considering my work schedule, Telus involvement, and the purchase/shipping of a replacement modem from Chatham to Alberta. Yes, it was inconvenient and frustrating, but I felt that Tech Support was always ready to help.

member for 13.7 years, 224 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

JonF
Chatham, ON

"A few bumps in the installation, but well worth the switch"

Hello,

I'm happy to hear that everything is now working for you. I do apologize for the delay in your activation. If you require any further assistance, you can contact us in the direct forum (as you know), as we are always happy to help!

Have a great day!
rkaushik

join:2002-03-31
Tallahassee, FL

get service directly with Bell

Would not recommend teksavvy phone or internet service in the GTA. In GTA they lease Bell lines. Any install or service order has to go to Bell. If you ever have an issue, Bell will make sure that they provide the worst service possible to teksavvy customers. In the end the customer ends up getting screwed while it may not be teksavvy's fault.
My recent example: Phone line was down. Teksavvy filed repair ticket with Bell. Bell did some remote testing and determined that everything was ok without coming to my home to check if there was a dial tone outside my home. Bell closed the ticket. I called teksavvy back and they called Bell again. Bell argued but finally agreed to sent tech out. Bell tech determined that my telephone line had been disconnected at the neighborhood network box! I was asked to be home for a 5 hour window both times that Bell tech was supposed to come out.
In total I had service outage for 5 days for no fault of Teksavvy.
Lesson learned- however bad Bell is I would much rather have service directly with Bell. Bell now offers no contract service (internet and phone) like teksavvy and prices very competitively.
So why would you go through teksavvy and not directly to Bell? I had teksavvy for a long time because I disliked Bell but in the end what matters is my service uptime and not getting the run around. Interesting when I switched to Bell I was offered multiple installation windows for 3 hours and the tech called me before he showed up.
LanAdmin

join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC
·ELECTRONICBOX

said by rkaushik:

Would not recommend teksavvy phone or internet service in the GTA.

That can happen event if you are with Bell. My neighbor who is directly with Bell had intermittent phone service for over a week before Bell finally solved the problem.

Personally I would never go with Bell again.
rkaushik

join:2002-03-31
Tallahassee, FL

Re: get service directly with Bell

Unfortunately we are stuck with bell owning the lines. If it took bell that long then it would have taken longer via teksavvy and a lot more pain for the consumer via long and inflexible appointment windows, teuchs not calling ahead, brokering everything via teksavvy, etc.
LanAdmin

Not sure

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello MarkBogus,

Thank you for the updated review. I am happy to hear you are still enjoying the service. I regret to hear there was an issue with your modem, I am however thrilled to see we were able to send you a new modem and get you back on line.

Thank you again for the updated review. If you have any issues or questions we can always be reached through the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

Tsi-ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

Review by dgass See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "Great price, Awesome tech support."
Overall "I'm glad I have a choice!"

·Rogers Hi-Speed
I'm glad that I have a choice!

Everything that Bell should be. As an IT Consultant, I've been spreading the word.

Install date was given much sooner than I had thought.
Install completed on the day scheduled. No issues. Speed tests confirm speeds are as advertised.

Tech support is still great. DSL Side anyway. I can't speak for the CABLE side.

Still the best ISP I've dealt with. Again, since I'm in IT I deal on behalf of business's and residential alike.

Comments:

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
·FreePhoneLine

advice

A bit of advice if you don't mind me saying.

This review looks fixed because you gave 100% across the board and 5 words. Explain your install process, the sale process, how the net has run for you. Could speeds be better for the price? Enjoying your caps? Why should users choose TSI over Bell?

This review looks too plain and too fixed to bring ratings up.

I do hope you properly edit your review to describe to potential customers why they should choose Teksavvy. It helps more than an empty review.

Every ISP has it's faults, no one is 100%. Mention where they can improve so they can improve. Marc, Rocky and especially Martin read these all the time. If there was even the smallest thing let them know and next time someone orders they'll address it and most likely fix it.

it's detailed reviews that has helped TSI get better.
dgass

join:2007-09-27
Etobicoke, ON

Re: advice

If there were problems, I would say so.

Also, this was an update of my original review back in 2008.

Change in speed. Called in, ordered new speed. Paid, Install was done during the time I was told. Everything works fine. Why do I have to state every detail?

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
·FreePhoneLine

RE

An update? Where? As i said, the review looks fixed. It looks like TSI hired someone to post a thumbs up. I know it wasn't because i've seen you around. Doesn't change for new customers. Back in 2006 when i first signed up with Teksavvy, i signed up based on the reviews i read HERE on DSLR. No where else. I seen short reviews like this i'd start to question it. It's nothing new in the industry.

Reviews like these are usually bumped up to knock the not so great ones back down. So to make sure it doesn't look that way it's not hard to post a few details.

Some reviews i find are too long and i tend to skim through them, but i trust the users review because they took the time to write it. There are or used to be a few on here that just said "Great ISP".

Do you use little bandwidth? Maybe suggest lower tiers as many users are hoping TSI does eventually. You rated support 100%, did you actually use support yet? If so how was the wait time, friendly? helpful? dead air? on hold a lot? Not picking on YOU, just the review. I hate seeing these short 100% reviews since they really do nothing good for TSI except look like a false review.

Do as you please, it's yours of course, just my two cents if you'd like to give something back to TSI, i know they can sure use a few good reviews. Use for example, DSLR gives a little message on the top right side to let a user know if their review is above match or below consensus in regards to the score given. DSLR determined yours as you can see for yourself is "(ratings above consensus)".

That's all i'm getting at. Have yourself a good night (or morning now)

TSI ShawnS

RE:update

Hello dgass,

Thank you for your wonderful update! Glad to hear that everything is still going well for you!! Should you have any questions please feel free to either post a message in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum or call an agent at 1-877-779-1575.

Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

Review by bobo1989 See Profile

• Location: Kingston,ON
Good "Competitive Pricing, MLPPP"
Bad "Connections Not Stable "
Overall "Worst ISP on the Market, Stay AWAY"

Nothing but problems for our internet services from Teksavvy from day one in the Kingston area.

Not just us but other customers as well. MLPPP server reboots, to random maintenance, corrupt PPPOE logins, Packet Loss, Dropped Modem Connections, Deny, Deny, Deny, then turns out to be a bad card in the DSLAM box. Where's the tech support? Whenever you call its like they are subcontracting you to be there on site technician, and paying you zero dollars... These are problems spaning all of 2012 - 2014... Worst ISP I have ever seen in my 27 years in the business....

Comments:

TSI Andre

Hi Bobo,

Could you please post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum so we can investigate what happened? I would like to understand more.

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
·VMedia

End user network

I'm not going to defend TEKSAVVY'S end of the support, but... with the system we have in Canada where the local incumbent cable or in your case phone company (Bell) is the only supplier for end user networks, and how they require providers like TSI to jump through hoops to get issues repaired like line cards which are part of the end user network controlled/operated/and supplied by the incumbent, it causes issues like this to happen. This is not totally Teksavvy's fault, but the faults of the system the CRTC setup with no performance requirements by the incumbents.

Now before you get all "WELL I PAY TEKSAVVY AND SHOULD NOT CARE, IT'S NOT MY PROBLEM" well.. technically it is. TPIA/WHOLESALE DSL does come with a 2nd level of understanding, where the 3rd party does not control the network they use to get to you, and it's provided by a monopoly. If you use a 3rd party, you have to accept that this may cause issues and need cooler heads and persistence to get issues resolved when it's about the end user network where majority of issues happen.

Hopefully this will change, but to be honest, you would have likely had this issue through any dsl based provider you would have. Perhaps it's time to switch to cable OR go with the incumbent directly. There is a pending decision coming that will hopefully fix these issues, but until then when using a 3rd party, you have to deal with jumping through the required incumbent hoops as they as of late have been treating 3rd parties as 3rd class to hopefully make the 3rd parties look bad and get customers back. Sadly it's working... If the 3rd parties go away, expect prices to jump and service quality to drop. 2 choices is not competition.

Le butt

@videotron.ca

Re: End user network

said by koreyb:

I'm not going to defend TEKSAVVY'S end of the support

But you will.
Then you actually, *actually* told this person it's their problem.

No need to say more.

Hi again Bobo,

I do to see that you have not yet posted in the direct forum. I sure would like to investigate more. Please let me know if you need help posting in the direct.

disregard

@teksavvy.com

Really?

Does anyone else find it odd that someone claiming "27 years in the business" just now joined DSLReports to post this scathing review, and also seems to not understand that a bad card in the DSLAM is not in TekSavvy's control, or how indie ISPs are largely limited by the competence and cooperation of incumbents?
Review is not worth the pixels it's written on.

Review by TScustomer See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Bad "Customer Service and Technical Support"
Overall "Their service has tanked as they've grown - stay away if you want competent service."

I have been a customer of Teksavvy for 3+ years at a former address and all was well.

It's now two weeks after placing a move order, 3 technicians have been to my place, 10+ hours on the phone with Teksavvy and I still have no connection. The so-called manager I last spoke to hasn't returned my call and two weeks in I -still- don't have email confirmation of the initial order! It's amateur hour at Teksavvy.

Like other recent reviews have mentioned they've grown too big. I've spoken to over 10 different representatives during days of calling and they simply pass you around the call centre with zero interest in your problem and no accountability. They'll fabricated titles of their colleagues, write incoherent notes if they're written at all, won't return phone calls, blatantly lie to you (was told senior support doesn't have direct extensions - days later I'm finally given a direct extension), and disregard simple requests (email confirmation of my move order)!

My worst experience with Bell was better than the gross negligence and lack of simple account management Teksavvy now offers.

When trying to escalate a call beyond a supervisor I was was informed in 24-48 hours a manager would contact me. Days later after the call was due I'm still waiting.

As a computer technician who has recommended Teksavvy services for years I can do so no longer. I will actively help and recommend my customers and friends change providers.

I will be closing my account tomorrow.

Comments:

TSI Andre

Review Update

Hello TScustomer,

A few of us just spoke about your account and we are all on the same page. Chris & Milissa are going to be your primary contacts to have this issue resolved. A lot of eyes are on your issue.

It was brought to my attention that you did not necessarily want to perform some troubleshooting to have your current issue resolved (No Sync turned into Slow Speeds) which really makes it difficult for us to get your issue resolved. As per your conversation with Chris, we are waiting on your no sync ticket to clear (should be by tomorrow morning) and if that doesn't resolve your issue, then we will open a raise to best ticket to see if Bell can see something wrong on the line. If they can't, we will need to troubleshoot for slow speeds to move this forward and for this we'll need your help.

We also have our Quality department reviewing your account so that we can provide coaching where necessary and make changes to processes that need fixing.

Chris/Milissa should be in contact with you with any updates.

TScustomer

join:2014-03-26

Re: Review Update

Andre,

With regard to the troubleshooting not performed today: I was contacted by Michelle this morning and she assured me a Bell technician would be coming to my door by 12 noon as per the ticket. I later received a call from Justin, the Bell technician, asking if my modem had sync, which it then did. He said he'd completed his work at the box; he's not coming to my residence (no need for me to waste the day off work), and that a different technician is doing some other line work in the area that should be finished by 2pm and definitely by 5pm and at that time my connection would run at full speed. Around 12pm Michelle called back and I explained what the Bell technician had told me. Upon hearing I had sync and speeds of a few kb/s she started the whole process of troubleshooting my equipment and opening a new ticket. Knowing what the Bell technician had said and having explained it to her I did not want to give up more of my time on a pointless exercise. Now that local line work is complete, according to the Bell technician, I will happily troubleshoot this issue.

Had you been fully briefed on the situation perhaps you would have refrained from framing this entire debacle as me being unwilling to perform unnecessary tests and not wanting to open new tickets before existing ones are even closed.

Perhaps uninformed CSRs shouldn't be calling customers to check on installation if their only response to problems is to place blame on customer hardware and open a new ticket. Two phone calls and one escalation later the real cause of the problem is confirmed on your end - local Bell line work. This is what I had initially told Michelle. Time wasted on that exchange alone: 3 hours.

Having many eyes on my issue is of no reassurance. I have spoken to 10+ Teksavvy CSRs and escalation leads me back to where I start - Account Managers. I've tried to reach a director and haven't even been told of that position until today despite asking, for days, to escalate above Account Manager.

On Monday I requested a call back from an Account Manager's superior and was told I'd receive a callback from a manager (perhaps they meant director - your CSRs use titles interchangeably and just pass calls between themselves). The 24-48 hour window I was given for the callback has expired and I have not been contacted by anyone beyond an Account Manager - the very position of person I spoke to when first discussing the move order. Clearly your company treats escalation with disregard.

This post only outlines the last three days' issues. There have been a series of mistakes and misinformation going on for two weeks now. I have documentation going back to the original order and will gladly go over what has happened issue by issue, day by day. I would again like to point out that when mentioning this to Melissa I was cut off. She offered no remedy to this chaotic situation and passed the buck to Bell. That is not a satisfactory response.

It is now well past 5pm - when I was assured by the Bell technician that my internet would be working at full capacity: 10M down, 1M up. The service is currently maxing out at 1k down and 1k up. The ticket, which I was assured would be completed by noon today, remains incomplete and there is zero recourse or accountability by the Bell technician or your customer service department. It should not require this much time, effort and energy to have DSL internet installed. Had I given my business to either Rogers or Bell this process would be long over.

As a happy customer for years, a computer technician and former Teksavvy advocate this ordeal has put me off Teksavvy entirely and I can no longer recommend anyone do business with this company. Your disorganization, inaction, arrogance and disregard of customers is simply stunning.

-TScustomer

Kindly reply to my private post as it further details the ongoing problems.

Re: Review Update

Will do.

I will respond in the direct.

Review by tracer99 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Great customer service for a 3rd party"
Bad "Still a 3rd party."
Overall "Best company to deal with for internet access."

I have been with Teksavvy for over a decade. I've always used them as a DSL provider as I prefer the consistency and reliability of DSL over the unreliable speed of cable.

I'm currently on 25/10 service but actually get 27/10 (conformed by speedtest).

I've had one negative experience with Teksavvy customer service. This was for my girlfriends connection years ago. Bell moved her line card and her connection turned to shit. It took over month to resolve the issue. This is not Teksavvy's fault, but simply the reality that Bell (and Rogers) sometimes screw them over and there is nothing that can be done. I personally have never had a support issue in over 10 years. Nor have I had a reason to complain at Teksavvy. (Bell on the other hand...).

If you can live with the rare instance of the upstream provider screwing over Teksavvy and you, it's well worth it.

Comments:

TSI Andre

2 edits

Hi tracer99,

Thanks for posting a review. I see that your review comments are pretty positive and I am happy to see that but the rating score provided paints another story. Is there anything I can do to help?

You can PM me if you prefer.

tracer99

join:2008-10-23
Toronto, ON

Re: Review

My brain reversed the sides of the score. Fixed.

Meh... It's Monday