TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by ianenc See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Competitive pricing; high usage caps; various mediums to contact customer service."
Bad "Have to wait on Bell to troubleshoot your line on their own schedule."
Overall "TekSavvy is the best option for a Wholesale Internet Service Provider."

TekSavvy DSL offers the better service than what you would get from Bell, and at a fraction of the cost! There are no contracts to deal with either. If Bell has, one way or another, made you upset or frustrated at your internet services, one way to "stick it" to them is to cancel your services and move to TekSavvy.

Customer Support can be reached via telephone, e-mail, DSLReports.com forums, or even on Twitter. From what I can gather, technical support is available 24/7 to help try and understand your issues and bring them to resolution.

The only downside to choosing the 25/10 or 50/10 service with TekSavvy is that you are forced to purchase modems that are compatible with Bell's network. While this may not be the fault of TekSavvy, you are still forced to pay full price for a modem that may be widely regarded as unreliable (*cough* Sagemcom F@st 2864 *cough*). There was talk about the choice to BYOM (Bring Your Own Modem), but I have yet to hear that this option has been put in place (at least, it wasn't available for me).

______________________________

Personal experiences with TekSavvy:

UPDATE: 02/09/2014

Bell sent a technician to look at my line, and ended up having to replace something outside. It turns out he also connected me to a closer remote, which increased my signal.

I'm glad to say there are no more packet loss issues, and the technicians at TekSavvy assisted me in optimizing my profile. I'm a happy customer! Let's hope there are no more line issues (not the fault of TekSavvy).

------------------------------------------

UPDATE: 02/02/2014

I changed my modem after Bell's technician noted it was defected. To date, my sync issues appear to be under control.

Unfortunately, the nightly packet loss issues remain. From my line statistics, this appears to be a physical wiring issue that is an issue with Bell, and not TekSavvy. I will continue to troubleshoot with the techs, and possibly see if Bell can get involved. The fact that the issue is intermittent concerns me that it will be difficult to show the issue to Bell's techs.

Regardless of the above, I am still happy to be with TekSavvy.

------------------------------------------

In late June 2013, I placed an order with TekSavvy for the 25/10 DSL internet service. There was a lot of talk from TekSavvy about BYOM (Bring Your Own Modem), and the posts in the forums from Marc Gaudrault, CEO of TekSavvy, left me with the understanding that BYOM was already being offered.

Unfortunately, the website did not allow you to place any order without purchasing a modem, so I called in to TekSavvy's customer service line for assistance. I spoke to a lovely agent, who was extremely friendly and wanted to be helpful. Alas, the agent was not able to bypass her system to place my order without needing to purchase a modem.

Eight days later in early July, I was up and running. Speed tests were great at low ping rates and full downstream and upstream speeds.

After about a week, there were some DSL sync issues, and I was without internet for about a day or two. The issue appeared to go away on its own, as my services would return without any intervention on my part.

After the big flood we experienced in Mississauga and Toronto in mid-July 2013, my services went down for almost a week. This apparently was an issue that affected many customers. I'm happy to report that TekSavvy did credit my account for the days I was affected (the days reported to customer service, at least).

My connection has been fairly stable afterwards. There were the occasional DSL sync drops for a few hours up to a day, but they all fixed themselves on their own. These issues went unreported because I was far too busy to spend time on the phone going through the same troubleshooting procedures again and again, when the issue was obviously not anything physical within my home.

Cut to the New Year. I began to experience packet loss issues, which resulted in a reduced download speeds. Instead of getting 25Mbps, I was testing 15Mbps if I was lucky. I noticed this was only in the evenings around 7PM, and the issue would go away the next morning around 7AM.

To date, this has yet to be resolved.

On January 25, 2014, I woke up to another DSL no sync issue. The problem was later corrected the next day after a ticket was sent to Bell to address the issue. It turns out that the line to my house is not stable at the speeds I have been paying for for the past six months. It is also noted that the modem I was forced to buy could also be causing problems.

We'll see how this pans out.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Ianenc,

Thank you for the review. Happy to hear you have been enjoying the service with minimal issue. Happy to see your services were installed quickly for you.

Thanks again for this great review.

Updates

Hello there,

Thanks for keeping us updated here. I'm glad to hear the issue is fully resolved now and that we were able to get better signal/speed in the end as well!

Just remember, should you need anything else, you know where to find us!

Have a great day,
djrokhit

join:2014-02-13
Canada

Teksavvy's mysterious intermittent connection drop continues

I have called Teksavvy twice for tech help and they were great. Except my intermittent DSL (15/1) connection problem has not gone. I have been told to test any telephone jack, test the phone cable, test the modem and do some online test. But there is no solution. When it works, it works great (99% of the time), unfortunately, if you are a gamer even a few seonds of drop costs you a game. I am connected on an ethernet cable so nobody can blame the wireless router.
Don't know what to do. If I ask for the Bell tech to visit me again then it will cost me $90 and then there are no guanrantees because they could say there is an internal wiring problem. I have been with Bell for 5 years and this has not happened. When I signed up with Teksavvy the tech guy didn't even show up so I asked that I am entitled to one free visit but it is not possible as it is more than 3 months now. The Bell guy did what was supposed to be done on the outside (Dry-loop).
Any suggestions? I could buy a new modem (currently Sagemcomm), replace the wire but I should know that this will make a difference.
Please help with some suggestions.

join:2012-07-09

Re: Teksavvy's mysterious intermittent connection drop continues

Hello djrokhit,

Sorry to hear you're having this ongoing issue. We'd be happy to investigate further for you. Could you please post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum and provide us with your account info so we can look into this?

Review by Cubytus See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Exceptionally fast set-up; techies actually HAVE technical knowledge; support of MLPPP; no contract; THEY'RE BILINGUAL !!"
Bad "Expensive for what it is; no faster up&down speeds"
Overall "Excellent ADSL company that's still dependent upon Bell Canada's disgusting wholesale practices"

·Vonage
·Skype
When I ordered a dry DSL line, I was expecting like 3 weeks of downtime, but got an appointment for 4 days later. Bell's tech actually came, spending every minute trying to sell me Bell's service as the best in the world, and such. He did his work and went away. An hour later, I had unstable DSL I tried to troubleshoot on my own with DSL Modem Tool for a few days. As every hypothesis failed to verify, a quick call to Teksavvy's tech service revealed that Bell has connected my line to a wrong port, and the techie assured me that this was very common, and would be solved the following day, and advised me to keep my modem off so as to have an easier transition. The fact is they couldn't find my modem remotely.

The following day, I unplugged the modem before going to work, and plugged it back, nor it was syncing at full speed. Problem solved, I placed a call to Tek to confirm it was working.

So far, no problem syncing in MLPPP and a Tomato-equipped WRT54GL; it can take anywhere between a minute and ten, but as DSL is not intended to go offline, that's not really an issue.

I wish they could provide lower prices, but the techie revealed that Bell sold ADSL at a wholesale price of $35 for ADSL+no caps+band was nearing 35$, while they sell it 40$ before taxes. Overall, since the transition to all-digital lines that Bell finally undertook, prices have been lowered slightly, and more important, higher speeds and ADSL2+ has finally became available. So for only $5 more, I tripled my download speed from the now-legacy 6/800k connection. The lack of competition being what it is, I pay significantly more than Ontario residents for the same service. The caps is not really unlimited, but "partially-unlimited", giving 300GB daytime, and unlimited night-time.

Alternatively, faster upload speeds would be a godsend, as this is technically possible.

Clearly, Bell is the reason why ADSL service has a so poor performance/price ratio here in Montreal (as well as Vide*tron exceedingly poor retail and wholesale customer policy), and the CRTC should do his job by forcing them to rent their network at decent prices to allow competitors to be just that, competitive.

Now, Teksavvy does take other means of payment than traditional credit cards. They could take PayPal, at least, and online Interac would be a big plus. I also listed the "no contract" thing as a good point, even if every serious ISP now doesn't force you in a contract with stiff penalty on cancellation.

Comments:

TSI Keith

Your Review

Hello Cubytus,

Thank you for your review and taking the time to provide this feedback. Sorry to hear there was a bit of a hiccup with the start-up but I'm glad to hear it was resolved in a timely manner for you!

We are always working to improve situations with our Vendors and while it's true this type of error isn't exactly rare, they are typically pretty quick in correcting it for us so that's excellent

Just a friendly reminder, if the 300GB during the day gets a bit tight we do offer fully unlimited packages as well.

I have personally seen quite a few inquiries in regards to us possibly excepting PayPal (though this is the first suggestion of online Interac I've come across). I have no idea the probability of something like this becoming a reality, but I'll certainly pass the suggestions on.

Thanks again!
Cubytus

join:2007-08-24
·TekSavvy DSL
·Vonage
·Skype

Re: Your Review

Well Keith this review has been updated slightly from the first I posted years ago when subscribing. I think I drew enough attention on the fact that Tek is entirely dependent on incumbents' good will to connect its customers.

That I repeated countless times to friends of mine who wanted a cable connection, as Videotron is notorious for being an a$$hole to its wholesale customers (one actually cancelled installation after installation has been repeatedly put off for WEEKS, despite my strong advice to go DSL. They basically wanted Tek's deals with incumbents not to have any impact on the end customer). I can't know for other provinces, but in Quebec, I never advise anyone to go cable, either through the incumbent or through Teksavvy. Other independent ISPs have simply stopped offering cable internet access due to those constraints. So many people don't seem to know who TSI is here. I can tell that many of them are interested by the incumbent's counterstrike of offering unlimited internet when bought in a package. I'd be glad to have something to say in regards to multi-services if ever TSI goes down that road. I assume that it's currently not competitive to offer services the European way (unlimited Internet+VoIP+unlimited calls to many countries+TV+public hostspot).

300GB isn't tight currently, as I schedule my usage to be mostly night-time. Granted, it's not always easy to keep track of precise usage as this measuring method is seldom used among ISPs. I also want to add that band rate have been flattened, contributing to the overall lower price.

Only taking credit cards may not be a problem anymore since some banks do issue Visa-compatible cards that directly link to an account.

Review by Rastan See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Stable connection, affordable, very good tech support."
Bad "At times, Teksavvy is at Bell's mercy since Teksavvy is a Bell wholesaler."
Overall "Very good ISP that does business differently than the big ISP's."

I'm paying $29.95/month + tax for a 5M/800k connection that has a 200GB/month cap. I'm not happy about the cap, but at least it's reasonable unlike the cap from Bell or Rogers.

My Internet connection has been stable. There have been a few issues but Teksavvy resolves them quickly. They are also open and honest and will inform their customers (on the Teksavvy forum on this Website) about issues they are having.

I've had to call them a few times to clear up a billing error they made and because I had a few technical questions. I really like the fact that they don't follow a script. They don't call me "Sir" 50 times and they don't use canned phrases such as, "I apologize for the inconvenience" when it's clear they don't really mean it and they are forced to say it.

I can't stress this point enough. I dislike insincerity and dishonesty and I think that employees who work at companies such as Bell and Rogers are more likely to lie to customers because they become too accustomed to being insincere, because they are forced to follow a script and say things they don't mean. The employees at Teksavvy are polite, knowledgeable and helpful and it seems that management at Teksavvy understands that sincerity is better than phoniness.

The transition from Bell to Teksavvy was smooth and credit for that goes to Bell as well as Teksavvy. I promote Teksavvy to my family and friends and hope they continue to be a great ISP in the future.

Update: 05/16/10

I've now been with Teksavvy for close to 2 years. Their service continues to be very good and downtime has been minimal. I still highly recommend them.

Update: 10/05/10

I slightly lowered my rating. My connection dropped and it appears that Bell lowered my profile. I wasn't able to get much assistance from Teksavvy.

Update: 09/24/11

My rating is unchanged. My profile is still lower due to Bell moving my line card to a different remote but my connection is stable and I haven't had any other problems.

Update: 11/08/12

I slightly raised my rating because, aside from a few minor problems, my connection has been very stable. I'm now paying $34.99/month + tax for a 5M/800k connection that has a 300GB/month cap.

Update: 02/02/14

I once again slightly raised my rating because the service has been very good. I'm now paying $32.99/month + tax for a 5M/800k connection that has a 300GB/month cap.

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Thanks for you review

Thanks for writing a review of our service.

Glad all is working for you & that you are satisfied with the service.

Martin

Review by stewart1 See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Excellant"
Bad "Nothing "
Overall "Good"

I have my own modem , it's a Thomson TG 585 V7. This is one of the reasons i went with Teksavvy .

Comments:

TSI Kris
join:2013-11-18

Hello stewart1,

Thank you for your review. I also see that you've recently posted on the public forum about your elation to join up on dslreports.com. Please let us know if there is every anything we can help with and welcome to the Teksavvy family!

All the best,
Reanne

Review by crowbarone See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "So far seems OK "
Bad "No help for issues "
Overall "Stay Away"

It's the best you can expect for the money . Very happy with the Home phone service , but don't expect any help !

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello,

Thank you for the review. Happy to see you are were enjoying the service. If your having an issue please let us know so we can assist you further.

Thanks again

crowbarone

join:2014-01-31
Scarborough, ON

Re: Review

Spoke too soon ..

Review by mmx4000 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Line is absolutely solid (even in peak times). High Upload Speed. 300GB download cap, fair prices"
Bad "Still have to pay a dry loop fee (only $5 now at least). High modem cost, only one option, Sagemcom isn't the greatest"
Overall "Solid service, would recommend to anyone frustrated with the variance of cable services to jump ship to DSL."

So I had Teksavvy Cable with Rogers for several years, and for the most part it was very solid and practically never offline. However the speeds would vary quite heavily during peak times, never to the point where it's unusable, but Youtube and Twitch 1080p would rarely be watchable in the evenings. It was getting better towards the end of the summer though. I would still recommend TSI Cable to those who can't get higher speeds via DSL. I moved on September 1st and decided to give DSL a shot.

Installation was scheduled on September 3rd. The tech showed up, was super friendly, and even helped me install my modem in the appropriate room. Ever since then, the service has been a solid 25 Mbps download, and 10 Mbps upload. While the Sagemcom isn't the useful modem, it certainly does a decent job. I'll eventually buy a newer router and just use the Sagemcom as a no frills modem.

I'll post updates in the future if anything changes, but so far I'm loving the service, and would recommend anybody in the K1V area of Ottawa to sign up for 25/10 (or 50/10) DSL from Teksavvy to get a reliable link with fair prices and usage caps.

UPDATE (2013/10/23)

Everything is still working great. Line has been stable, with full speeds still available during peak hours. Only issue I've had have been to Twitch.tv and Hockeystreams, where buffering was an issue on higher quality streams. Teksavvy seems to have addresses it, though I haven't done extensive testing yet. The streams have been pretty much solid for a few days. I'll update later on the results over the next few weeks.

UPDATE (2014/01/24)

Latest speed test of 25.12Mbps / 10.70 Mbps. Absolutely solid performance from my connection. I finally started taking advantage of the unlimited downloads windows from 2-8am. I just queue up whatever downloads I want each day, and they're almost always complete in the morning. My previous issues with Hockeystreams and Twitch have mostly disappeared. Twitch sometimes still has issues with the 'Source' video quality, but that's usually a routing issue (since when you pick source, you get the video directly from the specific server that the broadcaster is uploading to, while any other quality goes to your most local server, so it's Twitch's issue I believe). Streaming in general is phenomenal with this connection. The fast uploads are amazing. Dropping any file in Dropbox without worrying that it'll take hours for it to complete. Bottom line: Excellent service, don't hesitate to sign up for 25/10 VDSL if available in your area.

member for 4.4 years, 1199 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello MMx4000,

Thank you for this phenomenal review!!! I apologize to hear that you had fluctuating speeds with the Cable internet. Cable internet is a shared connection this could be the culprit for the varying connection speeds you were obtaining. I apologize for that, however I am very happy you were able to switch to DSL without any issue. It’s wonderful to hear the technician was friendly and more than happy to assist you with setting up the modem. I am also very happy that you are receiving more consistent speeds with the DSL.

Thank you very much for this great review!! Please keep us posted on your TekSavvy Journey. If you have any questions please let us know through the Direct Forum. We are more than happy to assist with any inquires you may have.

TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.

Review by redeye See Profile

Good "300 GB usage... "
Bad "have not noticed anything caused by teksavvy"
Overall "it just works..."

I switched to Teksavvy because it was a lot cheaper than Bell.
also Bell was resetting my modem every so often. (probably was the Sync'No'Surf problem)

But Bell bandwidth caps were/are ridiculous, and I wanted to not have to worry about Netflix usage, AND Teksavvy is Perfect for that.

i ordered the 25/10 DSL package with static IP.
the time to live i do not know because i switched from Bell 25/10 to Teksavvy 25/10.
(i had to wait 30 days for the Bell service to "expire" but on the day that it did, I was able to immediately connect to Teksavvy.

I joined Teksavvy in May 1,2013.

I ordered a Sagemcom modem (i rented it because that was the only option at the time, and was easier on my wallet, but two weeks later they were available for purchase.)
I liked Sagemcom modem, the DHCP assignment was great, and it has gigabit ports, but the wireless gave me "headaches when i am near it" thus, i did not use the wireless feature.
So, i use an Apple Airport Extreme (which does not give me headaches when i am near it)
The MAJOR problem with the Sagemcom modem is that i had to reset/reboot it once a month.
So when i discovered that Teksavvy was Selling the Smart rg505n modems, i bought one Jan 3, 2014.
no real problems with the rg505n.
I get a rock solid 25Mbps download.
I don't get 10Mbps up because of the "distance away" ...
So i have no problems with that...
I can easily get 2.5Mbps up (and that is what i got with Bell)

I am getting 4Mbps (4183kbps rg505n stats) up now...
I once got 5Mbps... but it seems to depend on the sync rate at the time of connection.
I don't upload much so 4Mbps is at least 50% faster than I was getting with the Sagemcom modem.

I would recommend Teksavvy DSL.

member for 182 days, 48 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

review

Hello Redeye,

Thank you for the review. I am happy that you have been enjoying the service and that there was no issues when first installing services with TekSavvy. This is wonderful to see. I am also very happy to see that you’re receiving your speeds consistently.
I am happy to hear you were able to upgrade the Sagemcom DSL modem to the SmartRG modem. It’s great that you’re able receive a little bit higher upload with this modem as well.

If you have any other questions please let us know. Thanks again for the great review.

Review by clarknova See Profile

• Location: Grande Prairie,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "unmatched features, low $/speed"
Bad "at the mercy of Telus"
Overall "blessed are the patient"

The online sign-up form could be a little clearer, however phone and email support are good.

Expect Telus to botch the install and then fumble your multiple petitions for redress. Ride it out though, and demand unflinchingly a proper connection and you'll eventually love what TekSavvy can do for you.

My monthly cost for six 6/1 connections and three 25/3 connections. Don't forget the dry dsl fee on every one of those. Still, there's no questioning the value of product and service provided.

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Your Review

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to place your review. We understand how the site may sometimes be hard to go through & we keep taking feedback if you would have some additional points you would like to bring up.

That said, glad to see all has been working for you.

Enjoy!

Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

Review by t3nk3n See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Reasonable price and excellent tech support team"
Bad "Getting screwed around by Rogers."
Overall "Reliable service and creative usage cap option."

The tech support team takes a lot of pride in their expertise and they are really active in this forum, its very seldom you get to see a company that active these days. It's just too bad that CRTC approved Rogers's price hike of $2 and usage metering, this shows the CRTC bends over and wag its tail to the Big3. Can't wait till the opt-in usage option goes live in the portal. "When enabled usage cap is turned off and speeds are normal except for the hours between 8pm and midnight each night." by TSI Marc.

Comments:

TSI Jon
join:2011-08-24
canada

Hi t3nk3n!

Thanks for the great review! We are always happy to hear from our customers! We enjoy interacting with them in any way possible and online is definitely the way to go! If we can help or answer any questions, you know where to find us!

Cheers,

TSI Jonathan
Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Review by zenflash See Profile

• Location: Komoka,ON
Good "Connection is fast and reliable, customer service people are excellent"
Bad "Install wasn't smooth and we were without DSL for a week"
Overall "Once up and going, Teksavvy service is working well and much better value than Bell"

I ordered the DSL 6 since it is the only one available for my area, basically switching from Bell to Teksavvy for the same service, of course Bell charges more and has a much lower cap on monthly usage. On the first install date the tech just didn't show up, there was no reason why, but had to reschedule for a week later. To be fair this was over the holidays so maybe during a more normal period the rebooking time would be shorter.

A week goes by and this time a tech does show but doesn't really know what he is supposed to do as the instructions on the order don't seem to match what we need (install a second phone line). We didn't know what to do either, so he said instead of doing nothing he would do what he thought he SHOULD do, and after some configuration with Teksavvy tech support to get the DSL modem up and going we were able to get connected that night.

However - since then the DSL has been working great, and my experience with Teksavvy support has been very positive (in spite of a couple of rants on my part). I would highly recommend the service as long as you have an internet backup for a short period of time in case there are hiccups (I used my iPhone as a hotspot).

One recommendation - I'm not sure how often our problem happens, but the tech from Bell said that it was common he wasn't sure exactly what to do (as the work orders aren't very specific) and that Teksavvy could provide better information to customers as to specifically what work was required for when the tech shows up. It would help close the communication loop. Also, maybe if Teksavvy had a 1-800 priority number, to be used only by the 3rd party techs to call when on site to help coordinate the install when there is confusion.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Zenflash,

Thank you for the review! I do apologize if the first technician did not
show up for your installation. Once we have a technician booked we do
expect them to go to our customer's home and install the service. I certainly
do apologize if this wasn't the case and we needed to reschedule for you.

In regards to the work order the technician had, if it was for a second phone line
this would be documented on the order. I apologize if the technician was
unfamiliar with installing a second phone line for you. The technician most certainly should know what to do when going to a home to install services. There isn't a 1-800 number for the techs to call us. Our vendor does not give us access to speak to the technicians directly. Every technician however is able to call their business office and get directions on what to do with every installation; they can also speak to a manager and get assistance if needed for the installation.

If you have any other questions or concerns please let us know!
Thanks again for this great review.