TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by mmx4000 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Line is absolutely solid (even in peak times). High Upload Speed. 300GB download cap, fair prices"
Bad "Still have to pay a dry loop fee (only $5 now at least). High modem cost, only one option, Sagemcom isn't the greatest"
Overall "Solid service, would recommend to anyone frustrated with the variance of cable services to jump ship to DSL."

So I had Teksavvy Cable with Rogers for several years, and for the most part it was very solid and practically never offline. However the speeds would vary quite heavily during peak times, never to the point where it's unusable, but Youtube and Twitch 1080p would rarely be watchable in the evenings. It was getting better towards the end of the summer though. I would still recommend TSI Cable to those who can't get higher speeds via DSL. I moved on September 1st and decided to give DSL a shot.

Installation was scheduled on September 3rd. The tech showed up, was super friendly, and even helped me install my modem in the appropriate room. Ever since then, the service has been a solid 25 Mbps download, and 10 Mbps upload. While the Sagemcom isn't the useful modem, it certainly does a decent job. I'll eventually buy a newer router and just use the Sagemcom as a no frills modem.

I'll post updates in the future if anything changes, but so far I'm loving the service, and would recommend anybody in the K1V area of Ottawa to sign up for 25/10 (or 50/10) DSL from Teksavvy to get a reliable link with fair prices and usage caps.

UPDATE (2013/10/23)

Everything is still working great. Line has been stable, with full speeds still available during peak hours. Only issue I've had have been to Twitch.tv and Hockeystreams, where buffering was an issue on higher quality streams. Teksavvy seems to have addresses it, though I haven't done extensive testing yet. The streams have been pretty much solid for a few days. I'll update later on the results over the next few weeks.

UPDATE (2014/01/24)

Latest speed test of 25.12Mbps / 10.70 Mbps. Absolutely solid performance from my connection. I finally started taking advantage of the unlimited downloads windows from 2-8am. I just queue up whatever downloads I want each day, and they're almost always complete in the morning. My previous issues with Hockeystreams and Twitch have mostly disappeared. Twitch sometimes still has issues with the 'Source' video quality, but that's usually a routing issue (since when you pick source, you get the video directly from the specific server that the broadcaster is uploading to, while any other quality goes to your most local server, so it's Twitch's issue I believe). Streaming in general is phenomenal with this connection. The fast uploads are amazing. Dropping any file in Dropbox without worrying that it'll take hours for it to complete. Bottom line: Excellent service, don't hesitate to sign up for 25/10 VDSL if available in your area.

member for 4.4 years, 1204 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello MMx4000,

Thank you for this phenomenal review!!! I apologize to hear that you had fluctuating speeds with the Cable internet. Cable internet is a shared connection this could be the culprit for the varying connection speeds you were obtaining. I apologize for that, however I am very happy you were able to switch to DSL without any issue. It’s wonderful to hear the technician was friendly and more than happy to assist you with setting up the modem. I am also very happy that you are receiving more consistent speeds with the DSL.

Thank you very much for this great review!! Please keep us posted on your TekSavvy Journey. If you have any questions please let us know through the Direct Forum. We are more than happy to assist with any inquires you may have.

TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.

Review by redeye See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "300 GB usage... "
Bad "have not noticed anything caused by teksavvy"
Overall "it just works..."

I switched to Teksavvy because it was a lot cheaper than Bell.
also Bell was resetting my modem every so often. (probably was the Sync'No'Surf problem)

But Bell bandwidth caps were/are ridiculous, and I wanted to not have to worry about Netflix usage, AND Teksavvy is Perfect for that.

i ordered the 25/10 DSL package with static IP.
the time to live i do not know because i switched from Bell 25/10 to Teksavvy 25/10.
(i had to wait 30 days for the Bell service to "expire" but on the day that it did, I was able to immediately connect to Teksavvy.

I joined Teksavvy in May 1,2013.

I ordered a Sagemcom modem (i rented it because that was the only option at the time, and was easier on my wallet, but two weeks later they were available for purchase.)
I liked Sagemcom modem, the DHCP assignment was great, and it has gigabit ports, but the wireless gave me "headaches when i am near it" thus, i did not use the wireless feature.
So, i use an Apple Airport Extreme (which does not give me headaches when i am near it)
The MAJOR problem with the Sagemcom modem is that i had to reset/reboot it once a month.
So when i discovered that Teksavvy was Selling the Smart rg505n modems, i bought one Jan 3, 2014.
no real problems with the rg505n.
I get a rock solid 25Mbps download.
I don't get 10Mbps up because of the "distance away" ...
So i have no problems with that...
I can easily get 2.5Mbps up (and that is what i got with Bell)

I am getting 4Mbps (4183kbps rg505n stats) up now...
I once got 5Mbps... but it seems to depend on the sync rate at the time of connection.
I don't upload much so 4Mbps is at least 50% faster than I was getting with the Sagemcom modem.

I would recommend Teksavvy DSL.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

review

Hello Redeye,

Thank you for the review. I am happy that you have been enjoying the service and that there was no issues when first installing services with TekSavvy. This is wonderful to see. I am also very happy to see that you’re receiving your speeds consistently.
I am happy to hear you were able to upgrade the Sagemcom DSL modem to the SmartRG modem. It’s great that you’re able receive a little bit higher upload with this modem as well.

If you have any other questions please let us know. Thanks again for the great review.

Review by clarknova See Profile

• Location: Grande Prairie,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "unmatched features, low $/speed"
Bad "at the mercy of Telus"
Overall "blessed are the patient"

The online sign-up form could be a little clearer, however phone and email support are good.

Expect Telus to botch the install and then fumble your multiple petitions for redress. Ride it out though, and demand unflinchingly a proper connection and you'll eventually love what TekSavvy can do for you.

My monthly cost for six 6/1 connections and three 25/3 connections. Don't forget the dry dsl fee on every one of those. Still, there's no questioning the value of product and service provided.

member for 4.4 years, 1316 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Your Review

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to place your review. We understand how the site may sometimes be hard to go through & we keep taking feedback if you would have some additional points you would like to bring up.

That said, glad to see all has been working for you.

Enjoy!

Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

Review by t3nk3n See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Reasonable price and excellent tech support team"
Bad "Getting screwed around by Rogers."
Overall "Reliable service and creative usage cap option."

The tech support team takes a lot of pride in their expertise and they are really active in this forum, its very seldom you get to see a company that active these days. It's just too bad that CRTC approved Rogers's price hike of $2 and usage metering, this shows the CRTC bends over and wag its tail to the Big3. Can't wait till the opt-in usage option goes live in the portal. "When enabled usage cap is turned off and speeds are normal except for the hours between 8pm and midnight each night." by TSI Marc.

Comments:

TSI Jon
join:2011-08-24
canada

Hi t3nk3n!

Thanks for the great review! We are always happy to hear from our customers! We enjoy interacting with them in any way possible and online is definitely the way to go! If we can help or answer any questions, you know where to find us!

Cheers,

TSI Jonathan
Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Review by zenflash See Profile

• Location: Komoka,ON
Good "Connection is fast and reliable, customer service people are excellent"
Bad "Install wasn't smooth and we were without DSL for a week"
Overall "Once up and going, Teksavvy service is working well and much better value than Bell"

I ordered the DSL 6 since it is the only one available for my area, basically switching from Bell to Teksavvy for the same service, of course Bell charges more and has a much lower cap on monthly usage. On the first install date the tech just didn't show up, there was no reason why, but had to reschedule for a week later. To be fair this was over the holidays so maybe during a more normal period the rebooking time would be shorter.

A week goes by and this time a tech does show but doesn't really know what he is supposed to do as the instructions on the order don't seem to match what we need (install a second phone line). We didn't know what to do either, so he said instead of doing nothing he would do what he thought he SHOULD do, and after some configuration with Teksavvy tech support to get the DSL modem up and going we were able to get connected that night.

However - since then the DSL has been working great, and my experience with Teksavvy support has been very positive (in spite of a couple of rants on my part). I would highly recommend the service as long as you have an internet backup for a short period of time in case there are hiccups (I used my iPhone as a hotspot).

One recommendation - I'm not sure how often our problem happens, but the tech from Bell said that it was common he wasn't sure exactly what to do (as the work orders aren't very specific) and that Teksavvy could provide better information to customers as to specifically what work was required for when the tech shows up. It would help close the communication loop. Also, maybe if Teksavvy had a 1-800 priority number, to be used only by the 3rd party techs to call when on site to help coordinate the install when there is confusion.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Zenflash,

Thank you for the review! I do apologize if the first technician did not
show up for your installation. Once we have a technician booked we do
expect them to go to our customer's home and install the service. I certainly
do apologize if this wasn't the case and we needed to reschedule for you.

In regards to the work order the technician had, if it was for a second phone line
this would be documented on the order. I apologize if the technician was
unfamiliar with installing a second phone line for you. The technician most certainly should know what to do when going to a home to install services. There isn't a 1-800 number for the techs to call us. Our vendor does not give us access to speak to the technicians directly. Every technician however is able to call their business office and get directions on what to do with every installation; they can also speak to a manager and get assistance if needed for the installation.

If you have any other questions or concerns please let us know!
Thanks again for this great review.

Review by Malovech See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Easily the best company I have ever dealt with; excellent customer service, performance and reliability"
Overall "If you have access to DSL there is no other choice out there"

A model for what an ISP should be. Up front, straightforward and honest.

Comments:

TSI Chris K
join:2013-10-25

Hello There,

Thank you for taking the time to review our services. We certainly appreciate your kind words. If you ever have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to reach out to us anytime!

Thanks,
Chris.

Review by obiwanbill See Profile

• Location: Pickering,ON
Good "Internet Service was good to OK. I like the 300GB per month, and unlimited from Midnight to 8AM."
Bad "Customer service sucks. 30+ mins wait times for voice, 3 days to never response times on email. But they seem better lately."
Overall "It's tough being a Bell reseller. Your only advantage is customer service and you can do much worse than Teksavvy."

·TekSavvy Cable
I joined Teksavvy Jan 2011. I paid for (6Mbps DOWN, and 800kbps UP). Install was good, and the actual internet service during our time with them, till Aug 2013, was good to OK. They let me buy my own modem, and sold me a Tomato Router to monitor my bandwidth usage. I was good with all of this.

During the 1.5 years of service, the ADSL internet service was OK. It turns out there was a lot of noise on my line, and any time I called their tech support to find out more information about "why", the constant refrain I heard was, "... remove everything from your POTS lines and hook your modem to the Bell demarcation point, and then call us."

Hey, that's fine! After a while, about a year, I finally got a chance to do just that (rewired my house with 1Gb ethernet) only to find out, yes, my phone line has a problem. There was too much "Noise" on the line. To fix it, they could schedule a Bell Tech to visit, but there was a fee ($50, I think). The tech who helped me this final time was excellent (DELETED).

At that time, I decided, I was willing to accept the service "as is", (4.5Mbps DOWN and 400kbps UP) because, if I wanted to upgrade, I wanted FTTN. I didn't want an interim upgrade, and then have to upgrade to FTTN later. I wanted to pay the upgrade fees (and new modem) just once and get a big upgrade that was worth it.

To facilitate this upgrade I used their online web form. I put in my order in late July and scheduled an install date for Aug 5. I thought, plenty of time for them!

Well, in the 2 weeks before my install date, I received NO RESPONSE. I called the day of (Aug 5) and was told that Bell doesn't do installs today, it's a holiday for them.

Huh? OK, I used the tool again to schedule another install.

Three days later I get an email to confirm. (I didn't check for this, it went to my Teksavvy email account, which I only use to communicate with Teksavvy and frankly, I wasn't expecting this.)

Aug 13 comes around, and I am expecting them to send a Bell technician, and nobody arrives.

I check my email and discover a confirmation email that was sent. WTH? (what the heck)

You have to understand, in order to fill out the form to upgrade our service, we need to login to Teksavvy's website, USERNAME and PASSWORD. Fill out info with particulars that only we would know and send off the https request. Why do they need to confirm with an unsecure email? The deal is done. It's secure. Just get the upgrade done. Nowhere on their form did they state, ''... btw, once we have received your online order, through our secure https connection, we are going to send you a confirmation via unsecure email. If you don't respond to that unsecure confirmation email, we will cancel the upgrade request within 10 days".

Huh?

Once you have the order Teksavvy, the only email you should be sending me is, "... Thank you for upgrading your service with us. Your technician has been scheduled for (this date) and we are happy you continue to use our service".

Well, I lost it.

I was receiving about half the speed I was paying for, for 1.5 years. I am upgrading my service with them. As a 1.5 year customer I am rewarded with having to pay the same price as a new client. I get no deal. Further, I am getting no customer service. Calling their tech support was always a chore. Wait times were 30 mins plus. Tech support emails were ignored, unless you had previously spoken with a tech, then you received a response. Further, customer service was asinine. If you get someone named DELETED, or DELETED, hang up, don't waste your time with them.

Look, I know what it takes to run an ISP. I ran an ISP for 10 years. I sold it. Why? Because of asinine people like DELETED and DELETED. Please Teksavvy, do yourself a favour and fire those 2. They suck. They will destroy your business. No, not all at once, but one customer at a time!

As a former customer, why did I quit?

I quit because my expectation is a same day response to emails. Occasionally a second day response. NO LATER.

If it's later, then the staff isn't even trying and they should suffer the consequences for their apathy.

== SOLUTIONS ==

As a customer service person you should be able to process hundreds and hundreds of emails per day. It's the same problems all the time, just "cut and paste" the solution. Usually, just a link, where the client can get more info on your web site.

Automate, Automate. Automate.

Create forms, and make sure they actually "work", and your staff will actually "use them". Make all communication "crystal". Reduce voice communication at every opportunity, it's too expensive. Use customer service as a tool to determine if issues can be handled by your web site, then direct the callers there, NEXT.

Finally, Teksavvy, you know there is trouble with ADSL everywhere. Bell's phone lines were never designed to support ADSL to every home. That's why when you upgrade to FTTN, a Bell technician visits to "fix" the lines to support High Speed Data communication. When your customers call for tech support about regular ADSL (like me), and they finally meet your expectation (installed a modem at the Demarcation point) offer to get the line fixed with a Bell technician. Split the Bell fee. Get it under $25, or better yet, offer it for FREE! Maybe you aren't willing to do it for every new client, because you haven't made any money off of them and it's too much risk because there is no 2 year contract commitment from clients. Maybe the hurdle for a FREE Bell technician is 6 months or a year, whatever. At some point, try and match the effort your clients are putting into making the ADSL work on their end, by scheduling a Bell technician to help them clear up noise or their ADSL line.

Your customers will appreciate it, and you will have leverage on them when they want to upgrade. They will be more patient with your failings because you cared enough to fix a BELL problem at no cost to them. Finally, you will live up to your tag line. You will be "... different, in a good way!"

Teksavvy, I hope this helps you. I hope your customer service processes and your people improve. Hopefully you have people at the top who can make this happen.

A disgruntled former Teksavvy customer,

Obiwanbill

== UPDATED JAN 7 2014 ==

OK, I was originally a Teksavvy subscriber from Jan 2011 to Aug 2013. I tried to upgrade my DSL account and I encountered a series of bad communication with Teksavvy. In the end, I cancelled my account, as above.

Next, I tried an alternate provider, namely ElectronicBox. To my surprise communicating with them was even worse, and I couldn't understand why, after I paid, they just wouldn't take responsibility to install my connection.

They would ask me "when is it a good time to install", and I would say "tomorrow", they would say, "oh no, we can't install it then", then I would say, "Why are you asking me for a date? Tell me when you can install it." Then they would say, "I need to get back to you". Huh? That's stupid. Anyway after a week of this insane back and forth, I cancelled and re-signed with Teksavvy.

This time, things went smoothly with Teksavvy, but luck was on my side.

I knew my physical line needed to be replaced to accommodate a 15MB DOWN/10MB UP service which could take months.

Bell does all on-site DSL wire provisioning for installs for the service providers like Teksavvy, and fortunately, managed to install a "Temp line" from my neighbors house, 20 feet away, that provided the full (15MB DOWN / 10MB UP) speed on their first visit. (Only because, just a few weeks earlier my neighbor disconnected one of their phone lines. LUCKY!)

Then Bell scheduled a dig to replace my copper. I knew this could take months.

My other neighbor, 2 doors down, had a temporary wire installed by Bell and, over the course of a year, while they waited for their "dig", that wire was cut, twice, (once by a passing tree cutting truck) and interrupted their service for many days, (weeks? I am not sure), while they waited for their wire to be repaired, and waited further for their dig. After about a year, and many, many, many, many calls (my neighbor said over 25 hrs in calls) to Bell (they were a Bell subscriber with FibeTV for 4 TV's and internet and cell and landline service), they finally got their dig completed.

For me, I settled in for a long wait and hoped my TEMP wire would survive. Over the course of 2 months, Bell completed my "dig" and replaced the temp copper wire. Yahoo! That was in November/2013.

Overall, it seems, you can definitely do worse than Teksavvy, and it seems, it doesn't matter if you are a Bell subscriber or not regarding "dig" matters.

You dig?

Comments:

TSILiz
join:2012-08-20

Your Review.

Hi There,

Martin has already responded to you other review, but I too will reciprocate the same. Very sorry to have lost you, and hopefully we can learn from this experience to ensure things like this do not keep happening. As Martin mentioned, please feel free to get a hold of us so we can look at exactly what went wrong.

Best of luck on your future endeavors,
Liz
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

"Not all those who wander are lost."
obiwanbill

join:2013-08-20
Pickering, ON

Re: Your Review.

Thanks for your sincere and quick response.

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Your updated review

Thanks for updating the review. Glad to see things have been good for you since you came back to us.

Let us know if you have any concerns or questions.

Regards,
Martin

Review by TOPDAWG See Profile

• Location: Midland,ON
Good "Cheap price no blocking of any kind of internet traffic. Also you can pick no cap and with that I stil get great pings for games"
Bad "Not much really. Everything has been fine so far."
Overall "Great for the money and they let you use your net to it's fullest. Also the CS can speak clear English."

I had rogers but after reading about the BT blocking caps and other BS they like to do and the price hikes every 2 months I want with DSL. I ordered the 5/800 plan. I had a static IP added. I called and the lady turned it right on just asked for my name and boom it was done. No let me move to you this person or please hit 1 now.

The order with them was easy and fast and the install was 5 days. I called to order cause really their web-site is crap.

So speeds are good the CS I can understand and the price is low and I can do what I want when I want with my net and use it as much as I want.

I've had it over 2 years now and I'm very happy with it. Everything is still going strong I'm no issue with the serve other then the 5MB profile that tek can't help so $46 for that speed is a bit high I think.

The cost of the service is $46.18 a month I pay a extra $4 for the static IP.

No longer with tek lift them years ago as dsl was too slow in my area no idea how they are now.

member for 9.2 years, 3817 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSILiz
join:2012-08-20

Response

Hey There!

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write a review that covers a lot of bases in terms of what people are looking to know when shopping for a provider. Appreciate the kind words, and feel free to reach out to us anytime if there is anything we can do for you!

Cheers,
Liz
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

"Not all those who wander are lost."

Review by salem2210 See Profile

Bad "scamming customers"

The service could not be installed because the house has bell cables and not rogers cables. That is what the technician told me. Ashleigh was very nice during the process and told me I will get a full refund. When I get my check I am $40 short and when I call they told me that it is because of a restocking fee and the modem mailing fee. I have no paper that says why am I short $40. How is this legal? One employee tells me one thing and yet accounting does another??? I will take this to Canada consumer protection site and small claims court. These people just robbed me $40. If we don't speak up and take it they will keep getting rich by doing this to other people. Where is my legal receipt stating this???

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Salem2210,

Thank you for the review. We do apologize for this. I would certainly like to investigate your account to see what is happening. I have just looked for your account and I do not see your handle is tagged to an account. Can you send us a message in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct with your account information please?

Review by pu12 See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "No terms, reasonable prices, easy to cancel."
Bad "Worst speeds since dialup. Large upfront cost for modem and installation"
Overall "Extraordinary fluctuations in service quality depending upon region."

I switched to TS cable since the building does not have updated DSL lines (limited to 3.5mb). Was with bell before with an unlimited plan.

Picked cable 35 (most probably), bought modem and waited for rogers to come activate the line. The first day (which was a sunday) the speeds tested fine. I assume it was because no one was using the internet heavily. But from Monday, the speeds were terrible. Download speeds during the day (FTP) was about 30-40 KB/s. And at night it was much worse. During the weekends it would improve slightly, but never to the point of actually reaching the advertised speeds. Not even close. To say it was infuriating would be to put it lightly. Atleast with DSL, the speed was consistent.

After waiting for a few months to see if there would be improvements in quality, called rogers and signed up for cable internet and haven't had any issues since.

My problem isn't really that the connection was bad since the problems can have many causes. And everyone is quick to blame rogers for the shitty speeds and how teksavvy is a blameless victim of the behemoth that is rogers. But teksavvy MUST have known the connection wouldn't be reliable and I would get terrible speeds. There was no warning while I was signing up to let me know this may be the case. And I refuse to blame rogers like everyone else when I complain about this because I wasn't paying rogers for my service.

I know people who have great service from TS, which is why I picked them in the first place. Unfortunately I seem to have gotten the service somewhere it wasn't reliable. Make sure you do your proper due-diligence on the quality of the service before you switch.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Pu12,

Thank you for the review. I regret to hear you did not enjoy your TekSavvy service. With speed issues there can be many causes; I’m not sure if you completed troubleshooting on your connection it sounds like you may have just waited it out to see if there would be improvement. Without completing troubleshooting we don’t have a way to tell you where the issue is. Also; if you don’t contact us to tell us you’re having an issue we assume your service is working. It sounds like this was something we could have resolved and fixed for you had we been aware of an issue.

Thanks again for this review.