TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by tracer99 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Great customer service for a 3rd party"
Bad "Still a 3rd party."
Overall "Best company to deal with for internet access."

I have been with Teksavvy for over a decade. I've always used them as a DSL provider as I prefer the consistency and reliability of DSL over the unreliable speed of cable.

I'm currently on 25/10 service but actually get 27/10 (conformed by speedtest).

I've had one negative experience with Teksavvy customer service. This was for my girlfriends connection years ago. Bell moved her line card and her connection turned to shit. It took over month to resolve the issue. This is not Teksavvy's fault, but simply the reality that Bell (and Rogers) sometimes screw them over and there is nothing that can be done. I personally have never had a support issue in over 10 years. Nor have I had a reason to complain at Teksavvy. (Bell on the other hand...).

If you can live with the rare instance of the upstream provider screwing over Teksavvy and you, it's well worth it.

Comments:

TSI Andre

2 edits

Hi tracer99,

Thanks for posting a review. I see that your review comments are pretty positive and I am happy to see that but the rating score provided paints another story. Is there anything I can do to help?

You can PM me if you prefer.

Thanks,

Director of Online & Operations Intelligence

TekSavvy Website | Follow Me on Twitter (@AndreCleroux)
tracer99

join:2008-10-23
Toronto, ON

Re: Review

My brain reversed the sides of the score. Fixed.

Meh... It's Monday

Thanks!!!

Review by shopkins See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Excellent Price, Smooth Conversion, Faster Service"
Bad "Still waiting to find one"
Overall "Excellent everything. Lived up as advertised"

I was previously a Bell sympatico subscriber but due to unrelated reasons I decided to switch to another DSL provider. TekSavvy had been mentioned by friends as a reliable, fast and not overly expensive DSL provider. I had also done some research here on DSLreports.

I called to ask to sign up while still a Sympatico subscriber. The CSR told me that I needed to call back ~7days before my Sympatico service was canceled because calling too far ahead would not make coordination easy. So I canceled my sympatico (reason given: need to have a fixed IP without signing up for a $100/mo Business account) and called TekSavvy back a week before my planned cancellation date with Sympatico. Setup of the account was a breeze (I had already converted to a TekSavvy Home Phone account earlier so they used the information already on file) and in fact spent more time chatting with TSI James about video games while he was "processing" my new DSL account. 2 days before the official Sympactico disconnect I called TSI Tech Support to make sure all was OK and then started the process of testing the modem on the line. After being unable to set up my SpeedStream 6520 (not a supported modem by TSI) I called tech and got some help until it was determined that I was connecting to TekSavvy but user error (mine) had set up the bridge mode incorrectly. Once I was set up and connected I sent a PM to TSI Jason (who had helped me troubleshoot the modem) asking to be put on a faster line. Check my line speeds to see the results of asking them to work on my behalf: »/testhistory/1553727/334f2

Overall I have had no problems and service has been excellent. I wish many of my interactions with companies was this pleasant.

Update May 2009 - 1 year in: No problems at all. Still getting a 6016/800 profile (interleave) and speeds are always good. Fixed IP, MLPPP (for future line bonding) and all the excellent TSI staff is well worth staying with the.

Update Feb 27 2010 - Human nature wants me to find something to complain about. I am unable to do so unfortunately. I am still satisfied with my TSI.

Update July 2011 - The system wants me to update my review... Other than rare disconnects I keep forgetting that I am getting DSL from TSI. It is totally seamless. With potentially new higher speeds coming I am looking froward to the good service.

Update Feb 2012 - I have upgraded to the 16M package package, and the only goof up was on Bell's part (poor wiring of the POTS DSL splitter / filter; stayed on a 12M profile initially). TSI logged tickets and resolved the issues promptly and courteously. Still happy to have my money (internet & home phone) going to TSI.

Update Feb 2014 - I had to leave TSI after moving to a new city and in a new home that only had Fibre. Was always excellent service (DSL and customer). Sad to leave but I will be on the lookout!

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello Shopkins,

Thank you for the wonderful review. I am happy to see you used our service for many years with no issue. This is great to see. It is also lovely to see you had many interactions with many employees and all interactions were courteous and pleasant.

I am very sorry to hear that you have disconnected your TekSavvy service however I certainly do understand and apologize that we do not have the Fibre available are your new home. Please keep checking back with TekSavvy we are always adding new areas and new services. If we have Fibre in your area in the future we would be happy to give you all the information about the service.

Thank you again for this review.
TSI_Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

shopkins

join:2008-05-23
L4N8J7

Re: Review

Thanks. If I can make you guys my Long Distance provider I will stay on!

Review by TekSavvy123 See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
Good ""
Bad "Never connected service. Blamed Telus and me, the customer."
Overall "Avoid at all costs."

TekSavvy has themselves grown into a Korporation where the korporate culture is to blame the customer for everything.

In my case, I transferred my DSL internet service to TekSavvy, but something went wrong with the transfer. TekSavvy had a casual, indifferent, and nonchalant attitude towards trouble-shooting the problem and was more focused on shifting the blame to Telus and myself than resolving the problem. I cancelled my order two weeks after service was suppose to start and requested a full refund. After I cancelled my order, TekSavvy suddenly focus on trouble-shooting the problem. TekSavvy is also refusing to refund any money. All this and more is detailed in the email exchange below.

See the full story at »www.cece.ca/TekSavvy.pdf

Comments:

TSI DaveP
join:2013-07-12

Please Post

Please post your account information in the direct forum so I can have this investigated.

Dave P.
Director of Technical Support

TSI DaveP
join:2013-07-12

Contact

Hello Roy,

We will be in touch with your shortly, we have found your account information and will resolve this to your satisfaction.

Respectfully,
David P.
Director, Technical Support

Review by SimplePanda See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "The best Canadian ISP. Excellent value and great support."
Overall "If you want value, reliability, and performance this is your ISP."

Having used / subscribed to both Bell DSL (including FTTN) and Rogers Hi-Speed (DOCSIS 2.0 and 3.0) services in Toronto, I can honestly say that TekSavvy is really the best ISP one can use if their services are available to you.

Performance is always great and on the rare occasion that there are any issues, the TekSavvy staff are available to answer questions both here on dslreports.com and via their support lines. Staff is very responsive and, knowledge wise, is the best ISP support staff I've ever dealt with.

- Reasonable usage and speeds for reasonable amounts
- Reasonable overage policy
- IPv6 beta service
- Excellent peering to everywhere on the internet (8ms pings to google.ca)
- Netflix Super HD / OpenConnect

You can't go wrong!

UPDATE January 2014: After 2+ years on TekSavvy VDSL2, Rogers (my local cable company) offered me an awfully good deal to come back to Rogers Internet service. Comparing the basic technical offering (150 Mbps, 10Mbps), I took the deal. Once it was installed and verified that it was working correctly for a week or so I cancelled TekSavvy.

I have returned to TekSavvy 2 months later (March 2014). Rogers just isn't worth it any deal. Once again using 50/10 VDSL2 on TekSavvy. Bell, unfortunately, put me on a Stinger (vs. a 7330 ALU) this time, but the connection seems OK regardless.

TekSavvy: Lower latency. Native IPv6. VDSL2 modems that are fully stable and fully supported in bridge mode with no compromises. If you have problems with packet routing for a service you're using, just post a message on DSLReports and it's likely a TekSavvy rep. can get an adjustment made, routing wise. In short, it's hard to go wrong if you're technically capable.

Rogers: Wildly variable latency (jitter) during primetime (due to the nature of DOCSIS). No IPv6 support (tunnelled, but not supported) with no announced or remotely discernible plans to implement it. Latest modems (the CGN3 "Advanced" device) crash constantly in bridge mode, so forget about using your own router. Support is a nightmare if you have an issue that's clearly on the Rogers side of the network.

Very happy to be back. Was stupid to have ever left.

member for 11 years, 788 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

Re:review

Hello there SimplePanda,

We would like to thank you for being a long time customer. We certainly appreciate your review. Should you have any other questions please feel free to either post in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum or call an agent at 1-877-779-1575.

Review by nanook See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "Works as advertised. Instant access if you already have DSL service."
Bad "None. If you want to read about Bad stuff go to the Bhell Internet ratings"
Overall "BettER than Bhell for 2/3 the price!"

Works as advertised. Instant access if you already have DSL service. No caps. No throttling. No bullshit. Just bettER service than Bell for 2/3 the price!

Updated 06Oct08: After almost a year with TekSavvy all I can add is that I am just as delighted with my decision today as I was when I made the switch from Bell. In the meantime I have migrated several family members from Bell to TSI and "encouraged" countless others to do likewise.

Updated 12Feb11: Still a very, very satisfied customer and still recommending to everyone I know who's still on Bhell to switch pronto.

Updated 12Apr13: Recently upgraded from 6/0.08 GAS to 15/1 FTTN. Upgrade went smoothly on the date promised. No downtime other than to reboot the modem. And the cost went down $2/month. What's not to like?

Updated 17Mar14: Nothing new to report other than the line has been rock solid.

member for 6.8 years, 2060 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

TSI Andre

Sweet!

Hi Nanook!

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide an update to your review.

We certainly appreciate the feedback and your continued patronage.

Cheers,

Director of Service Delivery

TekSavvy Website | TekSavvy Blog

RE: update 17Mar14

Hello nanook,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a great update!!
Glad to hear that everything is rock solid, as it should be .

If you ever require awesome customer support please send us a message in the »TekSavvy Direct forum or give us a call at 1-877-779-1575.

Sincerely,

Review by NCRGuy See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Great service, decent speed. "
Bad "None really. "
Overall "Glad I made the change. "

Finally got tired of paying the usurious fees charged by Bell and made the switch to TekSavvy. Very happy, and may upgrade my package to a faster speed.

member for 6.5 years, 3825 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Kris
join:2013-11-18

Hello NCRGuy,

We are delighted to hear you are happy with your new services! Please feel free to reach out to us any time if you need assistance with the upgrade or have any other questions.

Reanne

Review by lyran See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "It's cheap"
Bad "It's incredibly unreliable, and their tech support is not helping"
Overall "I'd avoid them. Suck it up and pay more for proper service"

I've had TekSavvy in my current location for three years. For the past several months, however, connectivity has been awful. I've had the Netflix problems as mentioned by others in the forums, but they're more general than that, images missing from many popular sites, and still having Netflix problems. Ping and trace route times are as good as one could hope, yet web browsing is intermittent at best.

TekSavvy has been extremely unresponsive and unwilling to go up the chain after we'd eliminated every possibility a problem in my home. I'm starting to investigate other carriers for a switch.

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Thanks for you review

Hello,

I'm terribly sorry to hear you have been having these issues. We did have some issues reported on the public forum about Netflix issues, but these have been fixed. As for the other issues you have mentioned, we haven't had any of these types or reports on a big scale. Would you please post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum so we may be able to take a closer look at your situation.

Thanks & Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Call

Hey there,

We believe to have found your account. We are having a Supervisor call you to address your concerns.

Chatham, ON

Update

How did your call go?

Review by awto See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Bad "signal on and off for two years"
Overall "you can't rely on Bell"

I have had Tek Savvy DSL for 2 years. Before that I was using Bell Canada. When I use Bell Canada, the signal was on and off every day. I saw the commercial, so I switched to Tek Savvy. However, he signal from Tek Savvy has been the same, on and off since. I have called for the service and they sent the bill to ask Bell Canada to fix the problem for many times. After "fixed" the line, it was very good and smooth for only one month. Every day around some specific times such as 9pm, 5pm and 9pm. The internet gets on and off lasting for an hour, sometimes even longer. But the rest of the day are great. Tek Savvy can't figure out why, and the Bell Canada seems not care either. Are those so called "rush hour", when most people connect the internet making my DSL interruption? After these two years, the problem never really solved. Bell Canada instead of fixing my line, the called me to switch back to Bell.... What a joke. I am really tired of checking my home line all the time when I called for help and nothing really improved. By the way, when I am typing this message, the DSL has disconnected 3 times.

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

Re:review

Hello There,

Sorry to hear of the connectivity issues you have encountered. We can look into this for you.

Can you please post a thread in our »TekSavvy Direct forum so that we can review what has happened? We would like to get to the bottom of the issue.

Sincerely,

Review by CharlieA See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "Wonderful Service/ No issues "
Overall "Love it !"

I have had DSL 6mbps service for the past few years, aside from very minor issues (having to reset/ re-configure modems) there have been no real issues.
Everything went smoothly with moves/ installs.

Support has always been helpful. Service has always been consistent with my package.
Techs that were sent out for installs always showed.

Used a Speedtouch 516 purchased from Teksavvy for the first couple years, it was easy to set up.

member for 1 year, 203 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSILiz
join:2012-08-20

Response

Woohoo! This is always great to see. We appreciate all feedback and appreciate you taking the time to let us know this- it's great motivation to keep this kind of experience not just for you but for all customers.

Thanks again and feel free to reach out to us anytime,
Liz

Review by the6ofpopes See Profile

• Location: 666666
Good "Price"
Bad "Not applicable"
Overall "Quality & great value for money ISP"

I switched to Teksavvy back in early 2007, leaving Bell because of throttling & have not once regretted the move to Teksavvy. I choose the 6/800 300GB DSL package & use my own equipment Speedtouch 516.

I have only used Teksavvy's customer support twice. Once for a connection issue which was resolved by Bell replacing my outside line which had a break in it. The second was to upgrade my package, unfortunately the upgrade I wanted wasn't actually available to me. Bell hasn't upgraded their equipment in my area or the upgraded equipment isn't available to me yet as a non-Bell customer. Not sure which is the case & not worried about it at the moment. In both instances Teksavvy's support was top notch.

I guess you could say my only bad experience was the inability to upgrade my package, which isn't Teksavvy's fault.

My DSL service has been excellent all around, service disruptions are extremely rare. Teksavvy has excelled at improving it's customers experience through many upgrades to mail service, customer support & the tools they offer their customers, such as bandwidth monitoring.

Teksavvy is 5 stars in my book.

Brian from Brantford

Comments:

TSI Kris
join:2013-11-18

Hello Brain,

Thank you for your kind words. We are delighted to hear you are happy with our support! We are continually expanding our services and hope to provide you with a faster package in the future.

Please feel free to reach out to us anytime if you require assistance!

Reanne