TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by SimplePanda See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "The best Canadian ISP. Excellent value and great support."
Overall "If you want value, reliability, and performance this is your ISP."

Having used / subscribed to both Bell DSL (including FTTN) and Rogers Hi-Speed (DOCSIS 2.0 and 3.0) services in Toronto, I can honestly say that TekSavvy is really the best ISP one can use if their services are available to you.

Performance is always great and on the rare occasion that there are any issues, the TekSavvy staff are available to answer questions both here on dslreports.com and via their support lines. Staff is very responsive and, knowledge wise, is the best ISP support staff I've ever dealt with.

- Reasonable usage and speeds for reasonable amounts
- Reasonable overage policy
- IPv6 beta service
- Excellent peering to everywhere on the internet (8ms pings to google.ca)
- Netflix Super HD / OpenConnect

You can't go wrong!

UPDATE January 2014: After 2+ years on TekSavvy VDSL2, Rogers (my local cable company) offered me an awfully good deal to come back to Rogers Internet service. Comparing the basic technical offering (150 Mbps, 10Mbps), I took the deal. Once it was installed and verified that it was working correctly for a week or so I cancelled TekSavvy.

I have returned to TekSavvy 2 months later (March 2014). Rogers just isn't worth it any deal. Once again using 50/10 VDSL2 on TekSavvy. Bell, unfortunately, put me on a Stinger (vs. a 7330 ALU) this time, but the connection seems OK regardless.

TekSavvy: Lower latency. Native IPv6. VDSL2 modems that are fully stable and fully supported in bridge mode with no compromises. If you have problems with packet routing for a service you're using, just post a message on DSLReports and it's likely a TekSavvy rep. can get an adjustment made, routing wise. In short, it's hard to go wrong if you're technically capable.

Rogers: Wildly variable latency (jitter) during primetime (due to the nature of DOCSIS). No IPv6 support (tunnelled, but not supported) with no announced or remotely discernible plans to implement it. Latest modems (the CGN3 "Advanced" device) crash constantly in bridge mode, so forget about using your own router. Support is a nightmare if you have an issue that's clearly on the Rogers side of the network.

Very happy to be back. Was stupid to have ever left.

member for 10.9 years, 777 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

Re:review

Hello there SimplePanda,

We would like to thank you for being a long time customer. We certainly appreciate your review. Should you have any other questions please feel free to either post in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum or call an agent at 1-877-779-1575.

Review by nanook See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "Works as advertised. Instant access if you already have DSL service."
Bad "None. If you want to read about Bad stuff go to the Bhell Internet ratings"
Overall "BettER than Bhell for 2/3 the price!"

Works as advertised. Instant access if you already have DSL service. No caps. No throttling. No bullshit. Just bettER service than Bell for 2/3 the price!

Updated 06Oct08: After almost a year with TekSavvy all I can add is that I am just as delighted with my decision today as I was when I made the switch from Bell. In the meantime I have migrated several family members from Bell to TSI and "encouraged" countless others to do likewise.

Updated 12Feb11: Still a very, very satisfied customer and still recommending to everyone I know who's still on Bhell to switch pronto.

Updated 12Apr13: Recently upgraded from 6/0.08 GAS to 15/1 FTTN. Upgrade went smoothly on the date promised. No downtime other than to reboot the modem. And the cost went down $2/month. What's not to like?

Updated 17Mar14: Nothing new to report other than the line has been rock solid.

member for 6.8 years, 2053 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Andre

Sweet!

Hi Nanook!

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide an update to your review.

We certainly appreciate the feedback and your continued patronage.

Cheers,

Andre
Director of Service Delivery

TekSavvy Website | TekSavvy Blog

RE: update 17Mar14

Hello nanook,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a great update!!
Glad to hear that everything is rock solid, as it should be .

If you ever require awesome customer support please send us a message in the »TekSavvy Direct forum or give us a call at 1-877-779-1575.

Sincerely,

Review by NCRGuy See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Great service, decent speed. "
Bad "None really. "
Overall "Glad I made the change. "

Finally got tired of paying the usurious fees charged by Bell and made the switch to TekSavvy. Very happy, and may upgrade my package to a faster speed.

member for 6.5 years, 3808 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Kris
join:2013-11-18

Hello NCRGuy,

We are delighted to hear you are happy with your new services! Please feel free to reach out to us any time if you need assistance with the upgrade or have any other questions.

Reanne

Review by lyran See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "It's cheap"
Bad "It's incredibly unreliable, and their tech support is not helping"
Overall "I'd avoid them. Suck it up and pay more for proper service"

I've had TekSavvy in my current location for three years. For the past several months, however, connectivity has been awful. I've had the Netflix problems as mentioned by others in the forums, but they're more general than that, images missing from many popular sites, and still having Netflix problems. Ping and trace route times are as good as one could hope, yet web browsing is intermittent at best.

TekSavvy has been extremely unresponsive and unwilling to go up the chain after we'd eliminated every possibility a problem in my home. I'm starting to investigate other carriers for a switch.

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Thanks for you review

Hello,

I'm terribly sorry to hear you have been having these issues. We did have some issues reported on the public forum about Netflix issues, but these have been fixed. As for the other issues you have mentioned, we haven't had any of these types or reports on a big scale. Would you please post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum so we may be able to take a closer look at your situation.

Thanks & Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Call

Hey there,

We believe to have found your account. We are having a Supervisor call you to address your concerns.

Andre

Chatham, ON

Update

How did your call go?

Review by awto See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Bad "signal on and off for two years"
Overall "you can't rely on Bell"

I have had Tek Savvy DSL for 2 years. Before that I was using Bell Canada. When I use Bell Canada, the signal was on and off every day. I saw the commercial, so I switched to Tek Savvy. However, he signal from Tek Savvy has been the same, on and off since. I have called for the service and they sent the bill to ask Bell Canada to fix the problem for many times. After "fixed" the line, it was very good and smooth for only one month. Every day around some specific times such as 9pm, 5pm and 9pm. The internet gets on and off lasting for an hour, sometimes even longer. But the rest of the day are great. Tek Savvy can't figure out why, and the Bell Canada seems not care either. Are those so called "rush hour", when most people connect the internet making my DSL interruption? After these two years, the problem never really solved. Bell Canada instead of fixing my line, the called me to switch back to Bell.... What a joke. I am really tired of checking my home line all the time when I called for help and nothing really improved. By the way, when I am typing this message, the DSL has disconnected 3 times.

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

Re:review

Hello There,

Sorry to hear of the connectivity issues you have encountered. We can look into this for you.

Can you please post a thread in our »TekSavvy Direct forum so that we can review what has happened? We would like to get to the bottom of the issue.

Sincerely,

Review by CharlieA See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "Wonderful Service/ No issues "
Overall "Love it !"

I have had DSL 6mbps service for the past few years, aside from very minor issues (having to reset/ re-configure modems) there have been no real issues.
Everything went smoothly with moves/ installs.

Support has always been helpful. Service has always been consistent with my package.
Techs that were sent out for installs always showed.

Used a Speedtouch 516 purchased from Teksavvy for the first couple years, it was easy to set up.

member for 1 year, 193 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSILiz
join:2012-08-20

Response

Woohoo! This is always great to see. We appreciate all feedback and appreciate you taking the time to let us know this- it's great motivation to keep this kind of experience not just for you but for all customers.

Thanks again and feel free to reach out to us anytime,
Liz

Review by the6ofpopes See Profile

• Location: 666666
Good "Price"
Bad "Not applicable"
Overall "Quality & great value for money ISP"

I switched to Teksavvy back in early 2007, leaving Bell because of throttling & have not once regretted the move to Teksavvy. I choose the 6/800 300GB DSL package & use my own equipment Speedtouch 516.

I have only used Teksavvy's customer support twice. Once for a connection issue which was resolved by Bell replacing my outside line which had a break in it. The second was to upgrade my package, unfortunately the upgrade I wanted wasn't actually available to me. Bell hasn't upgraded their equipment in my area or the upgraded equipment isn't available to me yet as a non-Bell customer. Not sure which is the case & not worried about it at the moment. In both instances Teksavvy's support was top notch.

I guess you could say my only bad experience was the inability to upgrade my package, which isn't Teksavvy's fault.

My DSL service has been excellent all around, service disruptions are extremely rare. Teksavvy has excelled at improving it's customers experience through many upgrades to mail service, customer support & the tools they offer their customers, such as bandwidth monitoring.

Teksavvy is 5 stars in my book.

Brian from Brantford

Comments:

TSI Kris
join:2013-11-18

Hello Brain,

Thank you for your kind words. We are delighted to hear you are happy with our support! We are continually expanding our services and hope to provide you with a faster package in the future.

Please feel free to reach out to us anytime if you require assistance!

Reanne

Review by Devanchya See Profile

• Location: Ajax,ON
Good "Helpful techs, quick install, reliable service"
Bad "web portal from the stone ages"
Overall "Great Canadian ISP"

Came from Bell after 10 years and former employment. Left Bell due to rising prices and continued push from them to go to an limited service.

Overall the transition has been smooth, with Teksavvy handling most of the switch over. Will need to review again in a few months.

member for 10.7 years, 4118 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

TSI Chris K
join:2013-10-25

Hi Devanchya,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I'm glad to hear that everything is working perfectly! Looking forward to seeing an updated review in a few months. In the mean time if you have any questions, or concerns. Please feel free to reach out to us anytime via »TekSavvy Direct, we're always more than happy to assist!

Thanks,
Chris.

Review by schwab See Profile

• Location: Lucan,ON
Good "Higher than advertised speed and consistent access"
Bad "Install was confusing"
Overall "WAY BETTER THAN BELL DSL!"

Tried to get Teksavvy Cable but they would not work with local cable company (Quaddro). Had to settle for DSL and a dry loop from Bell (for $5/month) but the service has been awesome. On the DSL 7 plan, and that has been the minimum speed. More often than not, it's around 9-10 MBPS.

Comments:

TSI Alan
Chatham, ON

Thank You For Your Review!

Hello,

Thank you for your review.

Good to hear the DSL service is working well for you, even if the install process was a little confusing.

Let us know if/when there is anything we can assist you with.

We are always happy to hear from our TekSavvy family members!
TSI Alan (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee
Follow us on Twitter: @TekSavvyCSR; @TekSavvyNetwork

Review by ianenc See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Competitive pricing; high usage caps; various mediums to contact customer service."
Bad "Have to wait on Bell to troubleshoot your line on their own schedule."
Overall "TekSavvy is the best option for a Wholesale Internet Service Provider."

TekSavvy DSL offers the better service than what you would get from Bell, and at a fraction of the cost! There are no contracts to deal with either. If Bell has, one way or another, made you upset or frustrated at your internet services, one way to "stick it" to them is to cancel your services and move to TekSavvy.

Customer Support can be reached via telephone, e-mail, DSLReports.com forums, or even on Twitter. From what I can gather, technical support is available 24/7 to help try and understand your issues and bring them to resolution.

The only downside to choosing the 25/10 or 50/10 service with TekSavvy is that you are forced to purchase modems that are compatible with Bell's network. While this may not be the fault of TekSavvy, you are still forced to pay full price for a modem that may be widely regarded as unreliable (*cough* Sagemcom F@st 2864 *cough*). There was talk about the choice to BYOM (Bring Your Own Modem), but I have yet to hear that this option has been put in place (at least, it wasn't available for me).

______________________________

Personal experiences with TekSavvy:

UPDATE: 02/09/2014

Bell sent a technician to look at my line, and ended up having to replace something outside. It turns out he also connected me to a closer remote, which increased my signal.

I'm glad to say there are no more packet loss issues, and the technicians at TekSavvy assisted me in optimizing my profile. I'm a happy customer! Let's hope there are no more line issues (not the fault of TekSavvy).

------------------------------------------

UPDATE: 02/02/2014

I changed my modem after Bell's technician noted it was defected. To date, my sync issues appear to be under control.

Unfortunately, the nightly packet loss issues remain. From my line statistics, this appears to be a physical wiring issue that is an issue with Bell, and not TekSavvy. I will continue to troubleshoot with the techs, and possibly see if Bell can get involved. The fact that the issue is intermittent concerns me that it will be difficult to show the issue to Bell's techs.

Regardless of the above, I am still happy to be with TekSavvy.

------------------------------------------

In late June 2013, I placed an order with TekSavvy for the 25/10 DSL internet service. There was a lot of talk from TekSavvy about BYOM (Bring Your Own Modem), and the posts in the forums from Marc Gaudrault, CEO of TekSavvy, left me with the understanding that BYOM was already being offered.

Unfortunately, the website did not allow you to place any order without purchasing a modem, so I called in to TekSavvy's customer service line for assistance. I spoke to a lovely agent, who was extremely friendly and wanted to be helpful. Alas, the agent was not able to bypass her system to place my order without needing to purchase a modem.

Eight days later in early July, I was up and running. Speed tests were great at low ping rates and full downstream and upstream speeds.

After about a week, there were some DSL sync issues, and I was without internet for about a day or two. The issue appeared to go away on its own, as my services would return without any intervention on my part.

After the big flood we experienced in Mississauga and Toronto in mid-July 2013, my services went down for almost a week. This apparently was an issue that affected many customers. I'm happy to report that TekSavvy did credit my account for the days I was affected (the days reported to customer service, at least).

My connection has been fairly stable afterwards. There were the occasional DSL sync drops for a few hours up to a day, but they all fixed themselves on their own. These issues went unreported because I was far too busy to spend time on the phone going through the same troubleshooting procedures again and again, when the issue was obviously not anything physical within my home.

Cut to the New Year. I began to experience packet loss issues, which resulted in a reduced download speeds. Instead of getting 25Mbps, I was testing 15Mbps if I was lucky. I noticed this was only in the evenings around 7PM, and the issue would go away the next morning around 7AM.

To date, this has yet to be resolved.

On January 25, 2014, I woke up to another DSL no sync issue. The problem was later corrected the next day after a ticket was sent to Bell to address the issue. It turns out that the line to my house is not stable at the speeds I have been paying for for the past six months. It is also noted that the modem I was forced to buy could also be causing problems.

We'll see how this pans out.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello Ianenc,

Thank you for the review. Happy to hear you have been enjoying the service with minimal issue. Happy to see your services were installed quickly for you.

Thanks again for this great review.

TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

TSI Keith
join:2012-07-09

Updates

Hello there,

Thanks for keeping us updated here. I'm glad to hear the issue is fully resolved now and that we were able to get better signal/speed in the end as well!

Just remember, should you need anything else, you know where to find us!

Have a great day,
Keith
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
djrokhit

join:2014-02-13
Canada

Teksavvy's mysterious intermittent connection drop continues

I have called Teksavvy twice for tech help and they were great. Except my intermittent DSL (15/1) connection problem has not gone. I have been told to test any telephone jack, test the phone cable, test the modem and do some online test. But there is no solution. When it works, it works great (99% of the time), unfortunately, if you are a gamer even a few seonds of drop costs you a game. I am connected on an ethernet cable so nobody can blame the wireless router.
Don't know what to do. If I ask for the Bell tech to visit me again then it will cost me $90 and then there are no guanrantees because they could say there is an internal wiring problem. I have been with Bell for 5 years and this has not happened. When I signed up with Teksavvy the tech guy didn't even show up so I asked that I am entitled to one free visit but it is not possible as it is more than 3 months now. The Bell guy did what was supposed to be done on the outside (Dry-loop).
Any suggestions? I could buy a new modem (currently Sagemcomm), replace the wire but I should know that this will make a difference.
Please help with some suggestions.

TSI Keith
join:2012-07-09

Re: Teksavvy's mysterious intermittent connection drop continues

Hello djrokhit,

Sorry to hear you're having this ongoing issue. We'd be happy to investigate further for you. Could you please post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum and provide us with your account info so we can look into this?

Keith
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )