TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by mrbojangles0 See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Absolutely nothing."
Bad "No internet for 3 weeks. Was hung-up on by representative. Still no internet."
Overall "Take the retention deal from the incumbent ISP!"

I write this review on July 16 after a Teksavvy representative hung up on me instead of putting me through to a supervisor when they offered and I said yes. This is my review of the experience thus far with Teksavvy.

I put in for a cancellation on May 25 of Bell internet which would take effect on June 25. I figured I would set up the whole transfer early. I paid the upfront cost of approx. $250 sometime in May and gave the cancellation date of June 25 with a cancellation number.

Bell offered a retention deal of 25/10 with 400GB cap for $40 a few days thereafter. This was better than what I would be getting at Teksavvy but I turned it down since I had already paid $250. Something in my gut told me to take the deal and forfeit the money I already paid. I should have went with my gut.

Before June 25 I received a voicemail and email about "incompatible product on the line." I explained that I had given a cancellation date of June 25 so my internet was active. They said they would put the order through again to take place at least 5 business days after June 25. I was confused since I had a confirmation that my prior internet would be canceled on June 25 and asked whether it could be done earlier than the 5 business days. The answer to this was an unequivocal no. Fine, I would be getting amazing internet for a great price so I would just put up with the week of no internet.

On July 4 I received a call and email saying my order was rejected due to "incompatible product on the line." I call Teksavvy and explain to them that I had canceled and cited my cancellation number. I explained that I had no internet service at all. The account manager told me sometimes the USOCs (spelling?) do not get switched and I should call Bell and ask them for an update and to switch it. The sales rep told me if I cannot get the USOC switched that someone at Teksavvy could call Bell support on my behalf the following day. I called Bell right after and explained the situation and after going up to the next level of tech support they told me that the Teksavvy USOC had been put on the line and asked if I wanted them to take it off again. The Bell rep also told me that Teksavvy can call Bell Enterprise Support and see what the problem is. I said I would get Teksavvy to do that because both Bell and Teksavvy reps told me it was possible.

The next day (July 5) I called Teksavvy and explained the situation and asked them if they could contact Bell support for me. The rep I got that day was bewildered and said they never do that. I told her that the account manager from the day before said they would but she maintained her position. She said what would work is if the order was placed with my Bell cancellation number on the order since that was not done the first time. She said that was my best option. Considering I confirmed with Bell that the USOC was switched over 12 hours prior I figured it would go through citing evidence of the cancellation. She said there was a backlog of orders and to call and confirm the status of the order on Wednesday July 9. The order was placed for July 12.

On July 7 I got an email saying I did not respond to a support ticket. I called in and they said it was nothing. No status on my order.

I called on Wednesday July 9 and asked for the status. They said they had no update for me.

On July 12 I got a notice saying "not received an update from our vendor to confirm your installation." Essentially nothing was happening on July 12. I called and inquired about what would happen. They said the order would go through on the next available day and that someone would come to install the service "whenever". I explained no one would be home if it just happened at any old time. They said they would be happy to put in an order for me but that would start my five business day countdown again. I said I would stick with my current order.

On July 13 I cracked from lack of internet and bought a WIND mobile internet stick and 3g internet plan for $100 total. It's awful, but it is how I share my Teksavvy experience with you.

Monday July 14, no update. Tuesday July 15, "attention required: incompatible product on line." I called Teksavvy yet again and someone said they could call Bell for me the following day. This was weird as I could get no such assistance on July 5 and essentially wasted more than a week waiting for an order that did not go through.

Today I got a voicemail that Teksavvy called Bell. The gist of the call was that Bell said there is an active customer on the line with active service. I rush over to my phone jack as soon as I get home to see if I have some form of internet, Bell or Teksavvy. Nothing. I tried both PPPoE usernames/passwords. I was not billed for Bell internet within the last month either. Bell sent me my modem return box and my modem is gone too. As far as I can tell I have no Bell internet service.

I call Teksavvy to see what happened in the conversation between Teksavvy and Bell. The standard "call Bell" answer wasn't working for me anymore. The rep told me they were talking to "higher ups". After a long period on hold I was told to call Bell again and cancel my service.

I said that I had already canceled my service. I stated that I had been without internet for 3 weeks with this runaround. No one at Teksavvy seemed willing to help, only offering the same canned solutions like maybe I had FibeTV, or just call Bell. I stated my account information so many times to Teksavvy I had it down pat. This whole scenario makes no sense to me since I am in a bind where Bell says my internet is canceled and Teksavvy says it isn't. I explained that essentially Teksavvy had $250 hostage and that it would do nothing to help me with this. Telling me to "call Bell" is not a solution when that solution has failed already. I opined that Teksavvy should be able to do something because I couldn't be the only person with this problem and that someone should be able to help me.

The rep offered to put me through to a supervisor and I said yes please. They said something to this effect: "Before I transfer you there is one more thing you could try. The thing you can do..."

The line went dead and I have not been called back in an hour and a half. I guess 3 weeks is the maximum amount of time Teksavvy is willing to support its product, or lack thereof. I am convinced the hang-up was deliberate.

I've been on the phone with Teksavvy at least 4-5 hours total and with Bell for about 1-1.5 hours. I have received no service after paying $250 in May.

Teksavvy gets 0/10 in my book.

Comments:

TSI Jon

Hello mrbojangles0,

I am terribly sorry to read everything you've went through. I have asked for one of my online account manager to investigate your account. Could you please post in the direct forum with your account information please?

»TekSavvy Direct

I will ensure that this gets followed up on and that we resolve this issue ASAP.

mrbojangles0

join:2014-07-16

Re: Review

Thank you for your reply. I made the post to the direct forum but I will be going with another ISP.

Your Review

Hello mrbojangles0,
My name is John. I am one of two Online Services Account Managers here at TekSavvy. My partner Keith and I would like to look into this issue for you to try to get it resolved as quickly as possible. If you wouldn't mind can you please post in Direct your account details so we can have a look?

Online Services Account Manager

Review by Raphael See Profile

• Location: Saint-Lambert,QC
Bad "I do not recommend Teksavvy at all"
Overall "Alot of problems from the first day"

I ordered 15 Mbps Down / 10 Mbps Up with Teksavvy. They sent me a Bell technician after 9 days of payment in the morning. The technician worked for more than 3 hours and then he left my flat without internet service to be worked on Teksavvy modem (His Bell modem was working perfectly). when I called Teksavvy they told me please wait for the activation of your service and it will take 24 hours. So, that is the first complain because they told me before signing with them that the service will work with me when the technician comes.

At night, the service worked but with speed of 15 Mbps Down / 1 Mbps Up. So, this is the second complain. I paid for 10 Mbps Up not for 1 Mbps Up. I made alot of calls with them to solve the problem with no solution.

The next day, the service disconnected. So, this is the third complain with alot of calls.

Now the actual speed is 7 Mbps Down / 1 Mbps Up for now (of course I made all the tests without making any other activity over the internet). So, this is the fourth complain.

I tested the speed for several times on several sites and I attached it. I really want to refund my money but they said "no we can not refund your money"!!!!

I do not recommend Teksavvy at all.

Comments:

oceros

join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON
·Rogers Hi-Speed

2 edits

good ol' ma bell

Pretty bad experience you had.

It's worth noting that from what you describe, Bell screwed up your installation. They set the modem speed - and should have set you to the 15/10 that was ordered. If you got the modem from teksavvy, the modem would be pre-set up to make things easy for you. Buuut it was also pre-set assuming the install would be done properly. So that means the modem was not going to get you online.

That is something the technician should have noticed at the time of install, and also fixed immediately with a phone call. Since the install tech did not do that, a repair ticket would be needed to get bell to fix the mistake.

The complaints you have are very understandable. It's just worth knowing a bit of what is happening behind the curtain. If teksavvy asked bell for the right speed, then you got left high and dry by that bell tech.

·TekSavvy DSL

Everything is going bad with both of them

I made alot of calls with Teksavvy and Bell. Both of them told me we can not give you more than 1 Mbps Up!!!
Before signing up Teksavvy said to me it will not be 10 Mbps but 8.8 Mbps!!!
WOW Teksavvy was very accurate to mention the 0.8!!!
Everything is going bad with both of them...
Also the service is always very slow.
Here is my speedtest for the moment: (There is no downloading or any other internet activity while testing the speed + I tried alot of testing servers with the same slow speed)

join:2013-11-18

Hi Raphael,

Thanks for your review! That's not at all the kind of experience we want you to have and I truly apologize for you not getting the plan you wanted and signed up for, as well as all the issues you had with the installation and the disconnection the next day. I really would like to look into what's going on with your account and see what we can do to make things right. Could you please shoot us a message over in the »TekSavvy Direct forum?

Thanks!

Re: Review

and what is the difference between "TekSavvy Direct forum" and Teksavvy customer support?
Another way of wasting time?
I WANT TO REFUND MY MONEY YOU HAVE NO SOLUTION FOR MY PROBLEM AND HERE IS A NEW SPEED TEST

join:2013-11-18

Hi Raphael,

I assure you we don't want to waste your time, quite the opposite. Another set of eyes on a problem never hurts, and a fresh perspective might be able to help you get this fixed one way or another.

Re: Review

OK I posted my problem @ »TekSavvy Direct forum.

Chatham, ON
The direct forum is only visible to us rather than the public so it's a place where we can get your account info in private to investigate/action

Re: Review

you can see the post now!

join:2014-07-07
Waiting for the solution...

Hi Raphael,

I have moved the ticket you've opened via help.teksavvy.com to our online account management team. To avoid confusion and too many interactions over various channels, they will be communicating with you via the one ticket on help.teksavvy.com only. I am also having the online account manager call you to discuss things further.

Hello Raphael,
Thank you for taking the time to speak with me this morning. I apologize for all of the frustration here and am sorry to lose you as a customer. I am glad though that we were able to resolve the situation to your satisfaction.

Online Services Account Management

Mr. John
thank you for helping me refunding my money...

Raphael,
You are very welcome.

Online Services Account Manager

Review by unavailable See Profile

• Location: New Westminster,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Price looks attractive when you see it"
Bad "Business"
Overall "Glad I did not sign up"

Failed TekSavvy switch report:
(updated below)

I have been with Telus since 2005. Last month I noticed that I am paying $60 for what new clients pay $30 and TekSavvy clients pay $45 for. So I decide to defect to Teksavvy.

Contact them. Rep #1 tells me I should do $this and wait. I do and wait. In the meantime I create an account - turns out, there are different accounts for Support and Account: Support account stays logged in, Account account doesn't. 2 accounts to remember. *Red flag #1*.

A few days later rep #2 writes to inform me my order cannot go through, because what rep #1 told was incomplete or false. House divided cannot stand, eh? *Red flag #2*

And I am not even a paying customer yet, right? Wrong: in the meantime they've sent me the modem. I did not receive it and not going to, but I still owe them $10 for shipping (understandable) and $25 for "restocking fee" (what?)

I paid by credit card, they promise to send me a cheque - is it because of money laundering or book cooking?

Rep #3 from cancellation department asked questions that he did not want to know the answers to and talked louder than me at the same time, trying to convince me that I am an idiot.

Magnificent experience and cheap education.

Stuck with Telus forever, it seems. Tried to switch to Shaw years ago (first they told me everything was good to go, then after I waved goodbye to Telus, Shaw found out they can't get cable connection to my house), now to TekSavvy - same manure.

They don't compete. Their response to any raised brow is "Everyone does it". Well, true - there is no choice.

Wow, it's not over yet! Turns out, I need to call them again - they apparently can't press the "Delete this customer record" button without yelling at me once more.

== UPD #1: 2 days later: ==

User TSI Andre says they would do the refund. Will report here if it ever happens. If there are more staff like TSI Andre, all may not be lost.

Meanwhile, I removed ratings of 3 criteria that I never had a chance to experience: Connection reliability, Tech support and Services (even though I think I had a sufficient preview of the last one).

== UPD #2: another 2 days later ==

Everything developed according to TSI Andre's clairvoyance: the refund has hit my account to the last penny on the day it was supposed to. I am unaccustomed to such level of customer service.

The lessons I learned: (1) TekSavvy can be supremely fast, precise and helpful when it wants to, and (2) Not everyone at TekSavvy is clueless.

Comments:

TSI Keith
join:2012-07-09

your review

Hello there,

Thank you for your feedback and for bringing these issues to our attention. I'd like to look into this for you from my end and see if there's anything we can do to help make this right. Could you please post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum or send me a PM TSI Keith See Profile with your account info so we can investigate further.

Keith
TSI Keith Online Services Account Manager - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

TSI Keith,

What are you going to investigate, sorry?

I don't want to be a TekSavvy customer. I failed to appreciate TekSavvy's incompetence and arrogance.

I already have an unaccountable ISP to be a client of, don't need a clone, thank you.

The only thing you could help me with is getting rid of that creative $25 "restocking" fee - are you interested?

Hi there,

We want to investigate your account so we can make sure we improve ourselves by coaching where necessary and investigating processes where they failed.

The restocking fee is specific on the situation. Once we investigate we can also make the determination whether it should stick or not for your situation.

Re: your review

Are you trying to make me work on improving your service in exchange for a mirage of $25? That's why I don't want to have to deal with TekSavvy.

Keep the change, I'll do it for free. Here's how to fix TekSavvy ("you" below means "TekSavvy decision makers", not TSI Andre):

1. Stop trying to project the image of being different. You are not. Profits come from delivering less than you promise, whether you are TekSavvy or anyone else. Pretending otherwise makes you look like a bunch of either idiots or hypocrites.

2. Get rid of Easter egg fees like this $25 and god knows what other surprises you have in store. It's plain bad taste. Also, setup fee? Seriously? Bad taste and greed go together well, it seems. It's bad customer experience, how hard is it to figure out? Are you not a customer of other businesses? What do you like and not like about the way they treat you? If you love money so much, charge me $50/mo instead of $44, but draw a line, stop there, stop ripping me off. One-time rip-off is a poor business model: "On average, loyal customers are worth up to 10 times as much as their first purchase."

3. If one rep says one thing and another - another, the company is incompetent. In my case, if one rep says I don't need to warn Telus and then it turns out that my $250+ order is halted because I should have warned (note the past tense) Telus, it's highly annoying, because nobody can change the past.

4. You can't fix your reps, because they don't care, because slavery doesn't work. Tell your top brass to treat every staff member like they treat themselves. It's called humility, the opposite of hubris. When reps feel heard and respected for caring about customers, they will want to care about customers. Currently they care about their paycheck.

5. Try to keep it simple: I pay you, you deliver the service, one flat fee, one flat service. No tricks, no ifs, buts, just a simple transaction. The less you try to fleece me, the more you will milk me through the years. Don't let your greed rule you. That would be different, btw, - that very same different that you are pretending to be.

Best wishes.

Re: your review

I am not trying to make you work at all. I am simply asking you to provide us your account info so we can use your situation to better ourselves.

You take time from your day to post a review on how bad your experience was with us but when we ask you to take 30 seconds of your time to provide us with a 6-7 digit number so we can better the overall customer experience (something that I am sure you would have appreciated to have been better in your case), you essentially tell us to shove it.

If that is how you want to leave it, then fine, I will leave it as-is.

if you truly care about customer service and overall experiences you have with companies you deal with, then take the time to send us your info.

Have a good day.

Re: your review

>> provide us your account info so we can use your situation to better ourselves

This is called user experience research and companies that want to improve pay for it, because it's work.

Will this help: cancellation 625854X367273 ?

Thank you.

This will help. Thanks.

Investigation

Hi Unavailable,

First of all, I wanted to thank you for providing the account info.

Keith and I have reviewed the account in great detail and here is a small summary of the things we could have done better in my opinion (please correct me if I am wrong):

1) You called in prior to placing your order and our associate failed to inform you that you should be submitting a cancellation for your existing Telus services for the same date that we would be installing services. This would of avoided your order being rejected.

- I will be sending an email to that associate's leader to ensure proper coaching is delivered to ensure this does not happen again.

2) Due to the rejection provided in point 1, this led you to the cancellation of your service. We did review the call between you and Kyle (the cancellation call) which in my opinion could have been handled much better on our end. I am quiet upset on how this call was handled on our end.

- I will be having a discussion with Kyle's leader and also the head of Customer Service to ensure this is appropriately coached. This includes his behaviour, the Shipping/Restocking fee you should not be charged that he said you would be & the miscommunication to you where you had asked for a follow-up email on what needed to be done to fully cancel the account. He should of had advised you that he was performing the final step of the cancellation.

3) A few minutes after your cancellation call, I see that you updated a web ticket that we had originally opened once the order was rejected. You had stated that you had not received an email from Kyle that he had promised you. We had responded to your email stating that you would need to call in to cancel your services.

- This was incorrect as the associate should had known by reading the notes on your account that you had already cancelled the account a short while prior. I will email this associates leader to ensure appropriate coaching is delivered.

Here is what I am going to do for you in regards to your cancellation:

1) I see that you did not pick up the modem, so I will be calling Canada Post to ensure they send it back to us.

2) On Monday, I will speak with our accounting department to ensure we send you a full refund. Refunds are performed via checque. If you would prefer to receive it via EFT, please let me know and I will have someone reach out to you on Monday to collect the needed details for that.

I do have one favour to ask. Although your first impression of us was quickly tarnished but us not providing you the correct information causing a rejection, I feel that your rating in this review is not correctly reflecting your experience. What I mean by this is that you rated a few items at 0 however you never actually got far enough to experience those experiences of our services. Example, you rated Tech Support at 0 but your service was never installed, nor did you ever speak to them. Connection reliability, you put 50 however you never had service with us.

I am not asking you to provide us a good rating as we clearly dropped the ball on your situation however I would appreciate if you could N/A the parts that are not pertinent to your experience.

Please let me know on the refund method and we will touch base with you on Monday.

Re: Investigation

TSI Andre,

It's a rarity to see a man who does his job.

I removed the ratings for what I did not last long enough to experience. (I rated these options in the first place because I did not know I could leave a few radio buttons blank.)

EFT sounds good.

Thank you.

Re: Investigation

You are very welcome and thank you as well. I will have someone contact you Monday for the eft info.

Have a good weekend

Call

Call should be coming your way shortly.

Re: Call

And so it did. So far so good. Thank you.

Re: Call

No problem

Review by windowswill See Profile

• Location: Chatham,ON
Good "Variety of services, fairly consistent speeds"
Bad "Poor customer service as the company grows."
Overall "Old Teksavvy was good. Avoid the new Teksavvy if you can..."

I have been a Teksavvy customer since 2009 when I signed up for phone and DSL. The staff was knowledgeable, and the service was great. When I moved to a new place, I was asked if I wanted to participate in a beta test of their new cable service. Being the gigantic techie that I am, of course I said yes.

I signed up for the 14mbps unlimited package and paid full price, plus the $99.95 for the all new modem and the $65 for installation. I kept paying my $42.88/mo despite constant outages and slowdowns because I knew they were working out the kinks and in the end, I'd have a great cable internet service to look forward to. And I did, until the day the cable packages officially came online, at which point I found out that I had been reduced from unlimited to a 300GB cap.

I don't particularly recall if I complained, but knowing myself, I most likely did. But I have accepted that I had a 300GB cap until recently when the CRTC rules changed for internet plans to feed more money to the Robelus big 3... At this point, Teksavvy had grown massively and I received an email informing me that I would have to change to a more expensive plan if I wanted to keep a truly high speed connection. When I called in, not only were they very rude in telling me that I had no say in the matter, they also told me that I would have to buy a new modem in order to change my plan as mine was a DOCSIS 2 and I needed a DOCSIS 3 modem at a cost of $99.95 and they weren't going to take my old modem as a trade in, so there was nothing I could do about the cost.

After many phone calls and finally having to threaten court action just to get my feelings across, I was finally told that they weren't able to forcibly change my package to the 10mbps because of line issues. What I wasn't told, was that I had been quietly reduced to a cap of 150GB. So I have been stagnating with my connection, being careful of what I download and how long I play games online for the past year. But now it's time to move, in both senses of the word.

I'm moving in with some friends and we are keeping my internet, so I called Teksavvy to see about moving my service to the new place. I was, of course told that I wouldn't be able to move my current internet or my current modem. In fact, the only difference between this call and the calls a year ago is that they will take my old modem as a trade in for $20 credit toward a new modem. Too little, too late Teksavvy.

I have found a new company that will provide me a 20mbps/2mbps unlimited cable internet connection for $54.95/mo and $79.95 is their regular modem price. Compare that to $79.95/mo for the same thing from Teksavvy. Sorry Teksavvy, we've had some good times, but I'll be calling in this week to set a cancellation date...

Updated 8/4/2014: Forgot to actually rate the first time, so I fixed that.

Comments:

TSI Jon

Hello windowswill,

It looks like there was a few things that you were not informed of. Could you please PM me your account information and I will gladly look into this with you.

Hi again windowswill,

Thank you for providing me with your account information. I was able to look further into your account. It looks like we did not mention a few key points to you which was a bad on our part. When you came in to the office to make the initial payment, you had also made a change in speeds, you were not placed on the unlimited for the speeds you wanted to change to. You were on and placed on a 300 gigs package. This was an error on our part, you were on 300gigs for a very long time.

When the CRTC decision about CBB came around, we changed a bunch of our packages and you were switched from that 300 gigs to 150 gigs to retain the same price. We sent out emails to all of the customers affected informing them of package changes. However it looks like the usage limits were not included in the emails (only the name of the package was introduced). Our sincere apologies that these changes were not communicated to you properly.

As for the modem, the $20 discount on swapping from a DOCSIS2 to a DOCSIS3. It's something we have to abide by as our vendors are phasing out the older technologies. There has been full threads discussing this in this forum where we've explained in great details the reasons and in result we implemented the $20 discount to upgrade modems. I am unsure if the reason you were not made aware of this the first time around was because it may not have been implemented yet.

It's unfortunate that we will be parting ways on a bad note. I do see you looked into our ability to price match. Unfortunately at this time we do not. Hopefully we will do business with you again at some point.

I have taken this feedback and we will pass it on internally to improve ourselves going forward.

Review by bobo1989 See Profile

• Location: Kingston,ON
Good "Competitive Pricing, MLPPP"
Bad "Connections Not Stable "
Overall "Worst ISP on the Market, Stay AWAY"

Nothing but problems for our internet services from Teksavvy from day one in the Kingston area.

Not just us but other customers as well. MLPPP server reboots, to random maintenance, corrupt PPPOE logins, Packet Loss, Dropped Modem Connections, Deny, Deny, Deny, then turns out to be a bad card in the DSLAM box. Where's the tech support? Whenever you call its like they are subcontracting you to be there on site technician, and paying you zero dollars... These are problems spaning all of 2012 - 2014... Worst ISP I have ever seen in my 27 years in the business....

Comments:

TSI Andre

Hi Bobo,

Could you please post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum so we can investigate what happened? I would like to understand more.

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed

End user network

I'm not going to defend TEKSAVVY'S end of the support, but... with the system we have in Canada where the local incumbent cable or in your case phone company (Bell) is the only supplier for end user networks, and how they require providers like TSI to jump through hoops to get issues repaired like line cards which are part of the end user network controlled/operated/and supplied by the incumbent, it causes issues like this to happen. This is not totally Teksavvy's fault, but the faults of the system the CRTC setup with no performance requirements by the incumbents.

Now before you get all "WELL I PAY TEKSAVVY AND SHOULD NOT CARE, IT'S NOT MY PROBLEM" well.. technically it is. TPIA/WHOLESALE DSL does come with a 2nd level of understanding, where the 3rd party does not control the network they use to get to you, and it's provided by a monopoly. If you use a 3rd party, you have to accept that this may cause issues and need cooler heads and persistence to get issues resolved when it's about the end user network where majority of issues happen.

Hopefully this will change, but to be honest, you would have likely had this issue through any dsl based provider you would have. Perhaps it's time to switch to cable OR go with the incumbent directly. There is a pending decision coming that will hopefully fix these issues, but until then when using a 3rd party, you have to deal with jumping through the required incumbent hoops as they as of late have been treating 3rd parties as 3rd class to hopefully make the 3rd parties look bad and get customers back. Sadly it's working... If the 3rd parties go away, expect prices to jump and service quality to drop. 2 choices is not competition.

Le butt

@videotron.ca

Re: End user network

said by koreyb:

I'm not going to defend TEKSAVVY'S end of the support

But you will.
Then you actually, *actually* told this person it's their problem.

No need to say more.

Hi again Bobo,

I do to see that you have not yet posted in the direct forum. I sure would like to investigate more. Please let me know if you need help posting in the direct.

disregard

@teksavvy.com

Really?

Does anyone else find it odd that someone claiming "27 years in the business" just now joined DSLReports to post this scathing review, and also seems to not understand that a bad card in the DSLAM is not in TekSavvy's control, or how indie ISPs are largely limited by the competence and cooperation of incumbents?
Review is not worth the pixels it's written on.

Review by TScustomer See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Bad "Customer Service and Technical Support"
Overall "Their service has tanked as they've grown - stay away if you want competent service."

I have been a customer of Teksavvy for 3+ years at a former address and all was well.

It's now two weeks after placing a move order, 3 technicians have been to my place, 10+ hours on the phone with Teksavvy and I still have no connection. The so-called manager I last spoke to hasn't returned my call and two weeks in I -still- don't have email confirmation of the initial order! It's amateur hour at Teksavvy.

Like other recent reviews have mentioned they've grown too big. I've spoken to over 10 different representatives during days of calling and they simply pass you around the call centre with zero interest in your problem and no accountability. They'll fabricated titles of their colleagues, write incoherent notes if they're written at all, won't return phone calls, blatantly lie to you (was told senior support doesn't have direct extensions - days later I'm finally given a direct extension), and disregard simple requests (email confirmation of my move order)!

My worst experience with Bell was better than the gross negligence and lack of simple account management Teksavvy now offers.

When trying to escalate a call beyond a supervisor I was was informed in 24-48 hours a manager would contact me. Days later after the call was due I'm still waiting.

As a computer technician who has recommended Teksavvy services for years I can do so no longer. I will actively help and recommend my customers and friends change providers.

I will be closing my account tomorrow.

Comments:

TSI Andre

Review Update

Hello TScustomer,

A few of us just spoke about your account and we are all on the same page. Chris & Milissa are going to be your primary contacts to have this issue resolved. A lot of eyes are on your issue.

It was brought to my attention that you did not necessarily want to perform some troubleshooting to have your current issue resolved (No Sync turned into Slow Speeds) which really makes it difficult for us to get your issue resolved. As per your conversation with Chris, we are waiting on your no sync ticket to clear (should be by tomorrow morning) and if that doesn't resolve your issue, then we will open a raise to best ticket to see if Bell can see something wrong on the line. If they can't, we will need to troubleshoot for slow speeds to move this forward and for this we'll need your help.

We also have our Quality department reviewing your account so that we can provide coaching where necessary and make changes to processes that need fixing.

Chris/Milissa should be in contact with you with any updates.

TScustomer

join:2014-03-26

Re: Review Update

Andre,

With regard to the troubleshooting not performed today: I was contacted by Michelle this morning and she assured me a Bell technician would be coming to my door by 12 noon as per the ticket. I later received a call from Justin, the Bell technician, asking if my modem had sync, which it then did. He said he'd completed his work at the box; he's not coming to my residence (no need for me to waste the day off work), and that a different technician is doing some other line work in the area that should be finished by 2pm and definitely by 5pm and at that time my connection would run at full speed. Around 12pm Michelle called back and I explained what the Bell technician had told me. Upon hearing I had sync and speeds of a few kb/s she started the whole process of troubleshooting my equipment and opening a new ticket. Knowing what the Bell technician had said and having explained it to her I did not want to give up more of my time on a pointless exercise. Now that local line work is complete, according to the Bell technician, I will happily troubleshoot this issue.

Had you been fully briefed on the situation perhaps you would have refrained from framing this entire debacle as me being unwilling to perform unnecessary tests and not wanting to open new tickets before existing ones are even closed.

Perhaps uninformed CSRs shouldn't be calling customers to check on installation if their only response to problems is to place blame on customer hardware and open a new ticket. Two phone calls and one escalation later the real cause of the problem is confirmed on your end - local Bell line work. This is what I had initially told Michelle. Time wasted on that exchange alone: 3 hours.

Having many eyes on my issue is of no reassurance. I have spoken to 10+ Teksavvy CSRs and escalation leads me back to where I start - Account Managers. I've tried to reach a director and haven't even been told of that position until today despite asking, for days, to escalate above Account Manager.

On Monday I requested a call back from an Account Manager's superior and was told I'd receive a callback from a manager (perhaps they meant director - your CSRs use titles interchangeably and just pass calls between themselves). The 24-48 hour window I was given for the callback has expired and I have not been contacted by anyone beyond an Account Manager - the very position of person I spoke to when first discussing the move order. Clearly your company treats escalation with disregard.

This post only outlines the last three days' issues. There have been a series of mistakes and misinformation going on for two weeks now. I have documentation going back to the original order and will gladly go over what has happened issue by issue, day by day. I would again like to point out that when mentioning this to Melissa I was cut off. She offered no remedy to this chaotic situation and passed the buck to Bell. That is not a satisfactory response.

It is now well past 5pm - when I was assured by the Bell technician that my internet would be working at full capacity: 10M down, 1M up. The service is currently maxing out at 1k down and 1k up. The ticket, which I was assured would be completed by noon today, remains incomplete and there is zero recourse or accountability by the Bell technician or your customer service department. It should not require this much time, effort and energy to have DSL internet installed. Had I given my business to either Rogers or Bell this process would be long over.

As a happy customer for years, a computer technician and former Teksavvy advocate this ordeal has put me off Teksavvy entirely and I can no longer recommend anyone do business with this company. Your disorganization, inaction, arrogance and disregard of customers is simply stunning.

-TScustomer

Kindly reply to my private post as it further details the ongoing problems.

Re: Review Update

Will do.

I will respond in the direct.

Review by TekSavvy123 See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
Good ""
Bad "Never connected service. Blamed Telus and me, the customer."
Overall "Avoid at all costs."

TekSavvy has themselves grown into a Korporation where the korporate culture is to blame the customer for everything.

In my case, I transferred my DSL internet service to TekSavvy, but something went wrong with the transfer. TekSavvy had a casual, indifferent, and nonchalant attitude towards trouble-shooting the problem and was more focused on shifting the blame to Telus and myself than resolving the problem. I cancelled my order two weeks after service was suppose to start and requested a full refund. After I cancelled my order, TekSavvy suddenly focus on trouble-shooting the problem. TekSavvy is also refusing to refund any money. All this and more is detailed in the email exchange below.

See the full story at »www.cece.ca/TekSavvy.pdf

Comments:

TSI DaveP
join:2013-07-12

Please Post

Please post your account information in the direct forum so I can have this investigated.

Dave P.
Director of Technical Support

TSI DaveP
join:2013-07-12

Contact

Hello Roy,

We will be in touch with your shortly, we have found your account information and will resolve this to your satisfaction.

Respectfully,
David P.
Director, Technical Support

Review by lyran See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "It's cheap"
Bad "It's incredibly unreliable, and their tech support is not helping"
Overall "I'd avoid them. Suck it up and pay more for proper service"

I've had TekSavvy in my current location for three years. For the past several months, however, connectivity has been awful. I've had the Netflix problems as mentioned by others in the forums, but they're more general than that, images missing from many popular sites, and still having Netflix problems. Ping and trace route times are as good as one could hope, yet web browsing is intermittent at best.

TekSavvy has been extremely unresponsive and unwilling to go up the chain after we'd eliminated every possibility a problem in my home. I'm starting to investigate other carriers for a switch.

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Thanks for you review

Hello,

I'm terribly sorry to hear you have been having these issues. We did have some issues reported on the public forum about Netflix issues, but these have been fixed. As for the other issues you have mentioned, we haven't had any of these types or reports on a big scale. Would you please post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum so we may be able to take a closer look at your situation.

Thanks & Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

Call

Hey there,

We believe to have found your account. We are having a Supervisor call you to address your concerns.

Regards,

Chatham, ON

Update

How did your call go?

Review by pu12 See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "No terms, reasonable prices, easy to cancel."
Bad "Worst speeds since dialup. Large upfront cost for modem and installation"
Overall "Extraordinary fluctuations in service quality depending upon region."

I switched to TS cable since the building does not have updated DSL lines (limited to 3.5mb). Was with bell before with an unlimited plan.

Picked cable 35 (most probably), bought modem and waited for rogers to come activate the line. The first day (which was a sunday) the speeds tested fine. I assume it was because no one was using the internet heavily. But from Monday, the speeds were terrible. Download speeds during the day (FTP) was about 30-40 KB/s. And at night it was much worse. During the weekends it would improve slightly, but never to the point of actually reaching the advertised speeds. Not even close. To say it was infuriating would be to put it lightly. Atleast with DSL, the speed was consistent.

After waiting for a few months to see if there would be improvements in quality, called rogers and signed up for cable internet and haven't had any issues since.

My problem isn't really that the connection was bad since the problems can have many causes. And everyone is quick to blame rogers for the shitty speeds and how teksavvy is a blameless victim of the behemoth that is rogers. But teksavvy MUST have known the connection wouldn't be reliable and I would get terrible speeds. There was no warning while I was signing up to let me know this may be the case. And I refuse to blame rogers like everyone else when I complain about this because I wasn't paying rogers for my service.

I know people who have great service from TS, which is why I picked them in the first place. Unfortunately I seem to have gotten the service somewhere it wasn't reliable. Make sure you do your proper due-diligence on the quality of the service before you switch.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello Pu12,

Thank you for the review. I regret to hear you did not enjoy your TekSavvy service. With speed issues there can be many causes; I’m not sure if you completed troubleshooting on your connection it sounds like you may have just waited it out to see if there would be improvement. Without completing troubleshooting we don’t have a way to tell you where the issue is. Also; if you don’t contact us to tell us you’re having an issue we assume your service is working. It sounds like this was something we could have resolved and fixed for you had we been aware of an issue.

Thanks again for this review.
TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

Review by carlom See Profile

• Location: Laval,QC
Good "Pre-Installation info and modem delivery"
Bad "Installation was a nightmare and TekSavvy insists on charging me for service when they were never able to get me connected"
Overall "You get what you pay for. Horrible installation and questionable billing practices, avoid at all costs"

·Videotron
I am currently on Cable Internet (with Videotron) and consistently get 15/10 speed but the high price drove me to explore options. I decided to give TekSavvy an opportunity. When I ordered the DSL 25/10 service, I had high hopes and was excited about potentially improving my speed and bandwidth at a significantly lower price. Here's the story:

1.) Ordered 25/10 via the website. process was simple and smooth. No issues

2.) Modem arrived about 3 days later. No issues.

3.) On the date of installation, I was told 2 technicians would pass by, one would work inside the house while the other (the Bell technician), would work outside.

3a) The 1st technician arrives around 2 pm. Installs a POTS splitter at the point of use (my living room), plugs in the modem. There is no DSL signal but he says that's normal because the Bell (outside) tech hasn't done his work yet. All told, this 1st tech was present less than 15 minutes.

3b) After waiting around all day and not getting a DSL signal (flashing light on the modem) I open a chat session with TekSavvy asking if they could confirm if the Bell Tech hooked up the DSL. I'm told to wait until the next day, everything should work

4.) On Day 2, there is no DSL signal. I call TechSavvy Support

4a) Phone tech tells me Bell (outside tech) had confirmed they passed by and the DSL should be hooked up. Phone tech says they are concerned it might be my inside wiring. Asks me to take the modem outside to plug it directly into the Telco DEMARC jack to see if I get DSL signal. I trudge through 3 feet of snow in my back yard and plug the modem into the DEMARC. No DSL signal. TekSavvy Phone Tech says he'll open a ticket with Bell Canada but warns me that if they find there is a DSL signal at the DEMARC, I will be charged ~$90. I figure it's a small risk and tell him to go ahead.

5.) Day 3, Bell dispatch calls to ask if their technician can pass by in the afternoon to do the testing. I agree. Bell Tech arrives at 5 PM. He goes to Bell Neighborhood NODE and returns to my house. Informs me the DSL was never hooked up at the NODE. He then spends the next hour outside at Telco Box and on the Bell pole, comes back and tells me all is good. DSL signal works at the DEMARC. We connect the Modem to the splitter (in my living room),and, guess what, no DSL signal ! He tells me it's the wiring inside my house and I have to deal with TekSavvy on that issue.

6.) Day 4, I decide to take the modem, trudge through 3 feet of snow in my backyard to the Telco box and test the DSL signal myself. Lo and behold, no DSL signal at the DEMARC !!

7.) I call TekSavvy and politely inform them I have had enough adventure and would like to cancel the order. Clearly, given the above, it's best to just realize this won't work and just move on. The TekSavvy representative asks me if I'd be willing to have another technician (the 4th) come by, I told them it was pointless given the experience. Especially since I would be risking the $90 Bell Tech charge. 4 days of effort was much more than I signed up for, especially since I paid for installation.

Here's the worst part:

Even though I was NEVER able to get a DSL signal and the service was NEVER rendered, TekSavvy tells me I will not be refunded for the 1st month of service ($44.95 + tax) or the cost for installation and they will accept the modem return but I will be charged a $25 restocking fee. I told them I would not argue regarding the cost for installation (the guy did show up) or the modem restocking fee (I wanted to be a nice guy) but the fact they would not refund the 1 month of prepaid service was ridiculous !! Keep in mind, I did all I could to get this to work, I was polite to their telephone reps and technicians, I personally assisted by checking the DEMARC twice and NEVER, not for a second, got any Internet service (a fact their phone technician confirmed). And TekSavvy feels justified not refunding the month of service? Charging for services NOT RENDERED is akin to THEFT.

I would expect a responsible company to acknowledge the above experience and agree to a refund in full, however, given TekSavvy is essentially a reseller, I figured I'd be completely fair. I didn't argue the installation charge(although with no DSL signal, I think I'd be justified in asking for this to be refunded as well), I didn't argue the modem restocking fee (although I doubt the modem was new, as advertised) but when I was told I'd have to pay for the month of service, which was never delivered, well, that's is just too much. As I said earlier, charging someone for a service you DID NOT DELIVER is unethical and akin to theft.

I will post the above story to all relevant websites until I receive proper resolution to my grievance.

Comments:

TSI JonD
join:2013-07-29

Hello Carlom,

Thank you very much for the review and for bringing this to our attention. All feedback is appreciated. I'm very sorry to hear about the frustrations you've had with this install. I would be more than happy to look in to this for you but I will first need to ask you to create a ticket here.

You will simply click the drop down menu and select "DSR - I was instructed to create a ticket."

Then from there simply provide as much of your account info as you are able to and we will be able to assist you shortly.

Regards,
Jon
carlom

join:2013-12-21
Laval, QC

2 edits

Re: Review

Ok. As requested, I have opened a ticket ( ticket # 48838). Let's see where it goes from there. I'll post progress on this review as well.