TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by unavailable See Profile

• Location: New Westminster,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Price looks attractive when you see it"
Bad "Business"
Overall "Glad I did not sign up"

Failed TekSavvy switch report:
(updated below)

I have been with Telus since 2005. Last month I noticed that I am paying $60 for what new clients pay $30 and TekSavvy clients pay $45 for. So I decide to defect to Teksavvy.

Contact them. Rep #1 tells me I should do $this and wait. I do and wait. In the meantime I create an account - turns out, there are different accounts for Support and Account: Support account stays logged in, Account account doesn't. 2 accounts to remember. *Red flag #1*.

A few days later rep #2 writes to inform me my order cannot go through, because what rep #1 told was incomplete or false. House divided cannot stand, eh? *Red flag #2*

And I am not even a paying customer yet, right? Wrong: in the meantime they've sent me the modem. I did not receive it and not going to, but I still owe them $10 for shipping (understandable) and $25 for "restocking fee" (what?)

I paid by credit card, they promise to send me a cheque - is it because of money laundering or book cooking?

Rep #3 from cancellation department asked questions that he did not want to know the answers to and talked louder than me at the same time, trying to convince me that I am an idiot.

Magnificent experience and cheap education.

Stuck with Telus forever, it seems. Tried to switch to Shaw years ago (first they told me everything was good to go, then after I waved goodbye to Telus, Shaw found out they can't get cable connection to my house), now to TekSavvy - same manure.

They don't compete. Their response to any raised brow is "Everyone does it". Well, true - there is no choice.

Wow, it's not over yet! Turns out, I need to call them again - they apparently can't press the "Delete this customer record" button without yelling at me once more.

== UPD #1: 2 days later: ==

User TSI Andre says they would do the refund. Will report here if it ever happens. If there are more staff like TSI Andre, all may not be lost.

Meanwhile, I removed ratings of 3 criteria that I never had a chance to experience: Connection reliability, Tech support and Services (even though I think I had a sufficient preview of the last one).

== UPD #2: another 2 days later ==

Everything developed according to TSI Andre's clairvoyance: the refund has hit my account to the last penny on the day it was supposed to. I am unaccustomed to such level of customer service.

The lessons I learned: (1) TekSavvy can be supremely fast, precise and helpful when it wants to, and (2) Not everyone at TekSavvy is clueless.

Comments:

TSI Keith
join:2012-07-09

your review

Hello there,

Thank you for your feedback and for bringing these issues to our attention. I'd like to look into this for you from my end and see if there's anything we can do to help make this right. Could you please post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum or send me a PM TSI Keith See Profile with your account info so we can investigate further.

Keith
TSI Keith Online Services Account Manager - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

TSI Keith,

What are you going to investigate, sorry?

I don't want to be a TekSavvy customer. I failed to appreciate TekSavvy's incompetence and arrogance.

I already have an unaccountable ISP to be a client of, don't need a clone, thank you.

The only thing you could help me with is getting rid of that creative $25 "restocking" fee - are you interested?

Hi there,

We want to investigate your account so we can make sure we improve ourselves by coaching where necessary and investigating processes where they failed.

The restocking fee is specific on the situation. Once we investigate we can also make the determination whether it should stick or not for your situation.

Re: your review

Are you trying to make me work on improving your service in exchange for a mirage of $25? That's why I don't want to have to deal with TekSavvy.

Keep the change, I'll do it for free. Here's how to fix TekSavvy ("you" below means "TekSavvy decision makers", not TSI Andre):

1. Stop trying to project the image of being different. You are not. Profits come from delivering less than you promise, whether you are TekSavvy or anyone else. Pretending otherwise makes you look like a bunch of either idiots or hypocrites.

2. Get rid of Easter egg fees like this $25 and god knows what other surprises you have in store. It's plain bad taste. Also, setup fee? Seriously? Bad taste and greed go together well, it seems. It's bad customer experience, how hard is it to figure out? Are you not a customer of other businesses? What do you like and not like about the way they treat you? If you love money so much, charge me $50/mo instead of $44, but draw a line, stop there, stop ripping me off. One-time rip-off is a poor business model: "On average, loyal customers are worth up to 10 times as much as their first purchase."

3. If one rep says one thing and another - another, the company is incompetent. In my case, if one rep says I don't need to warn Telus and then it turns out that my $250+ order is halted because I should have warned (note the past tense) Telus, it's highly annoying, because nobody can change the past.

4. You can't fix your reps, because they don't care, because slavery doesn't work. Tell your top brass to treat every staff member like they treat themselves. It's called humility, the opposite of hubris. When reps feel heard and respected for caring about customers, they will want to care about customers. Currently they care about their paycheck.

5. Try to keep it simple: I pay you, you deliver the service, one flat fee, one flat service. No tricks, no ifs, buts, just a simple transaction. The less you try to fleece me, the more you will milk me through the years. Don't let your greed rule you. That would be different, btw, - that very same different that you are pretending to be.

Best wishes.

Re: your review

I am not trying to make you work at all. I am simply asking you to provide us your account info so we can use your situation to better ourselves.

You take time from your day to post a review on how bad your experience was with us but when we ask you to take 30 seconds of your time to provide us with a 6-7 digit number so we can better the overall customer experience (something that I am sure you would have appreciated to have been better in your case), you essentially tell us to shove it.

If that is how you want to leave it, then fine, I will leave it as-is.

if you truly care about customer service and overall experiences you have with companies you deal with, then take the time to send us your info.

Have a good day.

Re: your review

>> provide us your account info so we can use your situation to better ourselves

This is called user experience research and companies that want to improve pay for it, because it's work.

Will this help: cancellation 625854X367273 ?

Thank you.

This will help. Thanks.

Investigation

Hi Unavailable,

First of all, I wanted to thank you for providing the account info.

Keith and I have reviewed the account in great detail and here is a small summary of the things we could have done better in my opinion (please correct me if I am wrong):

1) You called in prior to placing your order and our associate failed to inform you that you should be submitting a cancellation for your existing Telus services for the same date that we would be installing services. This would of avoided your order being rejected.

- I will be sending an email to that associate's leader to ensure proper coaching is delivered to ensure this does not happen again.

2) Due to the rejection provided in point 1, this led you to the cancellation of your service. We did review the call between you and Kyle (the cancellation call) which in my opinion could have been handled much better on our end. I am quiet upset on how this call was handled on our end.

- I will be having a discussion with Kyle's leader and also the head of Customer Service to ensure this is appropriately coached. This includes his behaviour, the Shipping/Restocking fee you should not be charged that he said you would be & the miscommunication to you where you had asked for a follow-up email on what needed to be done to fully cancel the account. He should of had advised you that he was performing the final step of the cancellation.

3) A few minutes after your cancellation call, I see that you updated a web ticket that we had originally opened once the order was rejected. You had stated that you had not received an email from Kyle that he had promised you. We had responded to your email stating that you would need to call in to cancel your services.

- This was incorrect as the associate should had known by reading the notes on your account that you had already cancelled the account a short while prior. I will email this associates leader to ensure appropriate coaching is delivered.

Here is what I am going to do for you in regards to your cancellation:

1) I see that you did not pick up the modem, so I will be calling Canada Post to ensure they send it back to us.

2) On Monday, I will speak with our accounting department to ensure we send you a full refund. Refunds are performed via checque. If you would prefer to receive it via EFT, please let me know and I will have someone reach out to you on Monday to collect the needed details for that.

I do have one favour to ask. Although your first impression of us was quickly tarnished but us not providing you the correct information causing a rejection, I feel that your rating in this review is not correctly reflecting your experience. What I mean by this is that you rated a few items at 0 however you never actually got far enough to experience those experiences of our services. Example, you rated Tech Support at 0 but your service was never installed, nor did you ever speak to them. Connection reliability, you put 50 however you never had service with us.

I am not asking you to provide us a good rating as we clearly dropped the ball on your situation however I would appreciate if you could N/A the parts that are not pertinent to your experience.

Please let me know on the refund method and we will touch base with you on Monday.

Re: Investigation

TSI Andre,

It's a rarity to see a man who does his job.

I removed the ratings for what I did not last long enough to experience. (I rated these options in the first place because I did not know I could leave a few radio buttons blank.)

EFT sounds good.

Thank you.

Re: Investigation

You are very welcome and thank you as well. I will have someone contact you Monday for the eft info.

Have a good weekend

Call

Call should be coming your way shortly.

Re: Call

And so it did. So far so good. Thank you.

Re: Call

No problem

Review by windowswill See Profile

• Location: Chatham,ON
Good "Variety of services, fairly consistent speeds"
Bad "Poor customer service as the company grows."
Overall "Old Teksavvy was good. Avoid the new Teksavvy if you can..."

I have been a Teksavvy customer since 2009 when I signed up for phone and DSL. The staff was knowledgeable, and the service was great. When I moved to a new place, I was asked if I wanted to participate in a beta test of their new cable service. Being the gigantic techie that I am, of course I said yes.

I signed up for the 14mbps unlimited package and paid full price, plus the $99.95 for the all new modem and the $65 for installation. I kept paying my $42.88/mo despite constant outages and slowdowns because I knew they were working out the kinks and in the end, I'd have a great cable internet service to look forward to. And I did, until the day the cable packages officially came online, at which point I found out that I had been reduced from unlimited to a 300GB cap.

I don't particularly recall if I complained, but knowing myself, I most likely did. But I have accepted that I had a 300GB cap until recently when the CRTC rules changed for internet plans to feed more money to the Robelus big 3... At this point, Teksavvy had grown massively and I received an email informing me that I would have to change to a more expensive plan if I wanted to keep a truly high speed connection. When I called in, not only were they very rude in telling me that I had no say in the matter, they also told me that I would have to buy a new modem in order to change my plan as mine was a DOCSIS 2 and I needed a DOCSIS 3 modem at a cost of $99.95 and they weren't going to take my old modem as a trade in, so there was nothing I could do about the cost.

After many phone calls and finally having to threaten court action just to get my feelings across, I was finally told that they weren't able to forcibly change my package to the 10mbps because of line issues. What I wasn't told, was that I had been quietly reduced to a cap of 150GB. So I have been stagnating with my connection, being careful of what I download and how long I play games online for the past year. But now it's time to move, in both senses of the word.

I'm moving in with some friends and we are keeping my internet, so I called Teksavvy to see about moving my service to the new place. I was, of course told that I wouldn't be able to move my current internet or my current modem. In fact, the only difference between this call and the calls a year ago is that they will take my old modem as a trade in for $20 credit toward a new modem. Too little, too late Teksavvy.

I have found a new company that will provide me a 20mbps/2mbps unlimited cable internet connection for $54.95/mo and $79.95 is their regular modem price. Compare that to $79.95/mo for the same thing from Teksavvy. Sorry Teksavvy, we've had some good times, but I'll be calling in this week to set a cancellation date...

Updated 8/4/2014: Forgot to actually rate the first time, so I fixed that.

Comments:

TSI Jonathan
join:2011-08-24
canada

Hello windowswill,

It looks like there was a few things that you were not informed of. Could you please PM me your account information and I will gladly look into this with you.

Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

join:2011-08-24
canada

Hi again windowswill,

Thank you for providing me with your account information. I was able to look further into your account. It looks like we did not mention a few key points to you which was a bad on our part. When you came in to the office to make the initial payment, you had also made a change in speeds, you were not placed on the unlimited for the speeds you wanted to change to. You were on and placed on a 300 gigs package. This was an error on our part, you were on 300gigs for a very long time.

When the CRTC decision about CBB came around, we changed a bunch of our packages and you were switched from that 300 gigs to 150 gigs to retain the same price. We sent out emails to all of the customers affected informing them of package changes. However it looks like the usage limits were not included in the emails (only the name of the package was introduced). Our sincere apologies that these changes were not communicated to you properly.

As for the modem, the $20 discount on swapping from a DOCSIS2 to a DOCSIS3. It's something we have to abide by as our vendors are phasing out the older technologies. There has been full threads discussing this in this forum where we've explained in great details the reasons and in result we implemented the $20 discount to upgrade modems. I am unsure if the reason you were not made aware of this the first time around was because it may not have been implemented yet.

It's unfortunate that we will be parting ways on a bad note. I do see you looked into our ability to price match. Unfortunately at this time we do not. Hopefully we will do business with you again at some point.

I have taken this feedback and we will pass it on internally to improve ourselves going forward.

Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Review by bobo1989 See Profile

• Location: Kingston,ON
Good "Competitive Pricing, MLPPP"
Bad "Connections Not Stable "
Overall "Worst ISP on the Market, Stay AWAY"

Nothing but problems for our internet services from Teksavvy from day one in the Kingston area.

Not just us but other customers as well. MLPPP server reboots, to random maintenance, corrupt PPPOE logins, Packet Loss, Dropped Modem Connections, Deny, Deny, Deny, then turns out to be a bad card in the DSLAM box. Where's the tech support? Whenever you call its like they are subcontracting you to be there on site technician, and paying you zero dollars... These are problems spaning all of 2012 - 2014... Worst ISP I have ever seen in my 27 years in the business....

Comments:

TSI Andre

Hi Bobo,

Could you please post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum so we can investigate what happened? I would like to understand more.

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
·TekSavvy Cable

End user network

I'm not going to defend TEKSAVVY'S end of the support, but... with the system we have in Canada where the local incumbent cable or in your case phone company (Bell) is the only supplier for end user networks, and how they require providers like TSI to jump through hoops to get issues repaired like line cards which are part of the end user network controlled/operated/and supplied by the incumbent, it causes issues like this to happen. This is not totally Teksavvy's fault, but the faults of the system the CRTC setup with no performance requirements by the incumbents.

Now before you get all "WELL I PAY TEKSAVVY AND SHOULD NOT CARE, IT'S NOT MY PROBLEM" well.. technically it is. TPIA/WHOLESALE DSL does come with a 2nd level of understanding, where the 3rd party does not control the network they use to get to you, and it's provided by a monopoly. If you use a 3rd party, you have to accept that this may cause issues and need cooler heads and persistence to get issues resolved when it's about the end user network where majority of issues happen.

Hopefully this will change, but to be honest, you would have likely had this issue through any dsl based provider you would have. Perhaps it's time to switch to cable OR go with the incumbent directly. There is a pending decision coming that will hopefully fix these issues, but until then when using a 3rd party, you have to deal with jumping through the required incumbent hoops as they as of late have been treating 3rd parties as 3rd class to hopefully make the 3rd parties look bad and get customers back. Sadly it's working... If the 3rd parties go away, expect prices to jump and service quality to drop. 2 choices is not competition.

Le butt

@videotron.ca

Re: End user network

said by koreyb:

I'm not going to defend TEKSAVVY'S end of the support

But you will.
Then you actually, *actually* told this person it's their problem.

No need to say more.

Hi again Bobo,

I do to see that you have not yet posted in the direct forum. I sure would like to investigate more. Please let me know if you need help posting in the direct.

disregard

@teksavvy.com

Really?

Does anyone else find it odd that someone claiming "27 years in the business" just now joined DSLReports to post this scathing review, and also seems to not understand that a bad card in the DSLAM is not in TekSavvy's control, or how indie ISPs are largely limited by the competence and cooperation of incumbents?
Review is not worth the pixels it's written on.

Review by TScustomer See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Bad "Customer Service and Technical Support"
Overall "Their service has tanked as they've grown - stay away if you want competent service."

I have been a customer of Teksavvy for 3+ years at a former address and all was well.

It's now two weeks after placing a move order, 3 technicians have been to my place, 10+ hours on the phone with Teksavvy and I still have no connection. The so-called manager I last spoke to hasn't returned my call and two weeks in I -still- don't have email confirmation of the initial order! It's amateur hour at Teksavvy.

Like other recent reviews have mentioned they've grown too big. I've spoken to over 10 different representatives during days of calling and they simply pass you around the call centre with zero interest in your problem and no accountability. They'll fabricated titles of their colleagues, write incoherent notes if they're written at all, won't return phone calls, blatantly lie to you (was told senior support doesn't have direct extensions - days later I'm finally given a direct extension), and disregard simple requests (email confirmation of my move order)!

My worst experience with Bell was better than the gross negligence and lack of simple account management Teksavvy now offers.

When trying to escalate a call beyond a supervisor I was was informed in 24-48 hours a manager would contact me. Days later after the call was due I'm still waiting.

As a computer technician who has recommended Teksavvy services for years I can do so no longer. I will actively help and recommend my customers and friends change providers.

I will be closing my account tomorrow.

Comments:

TSI Andre

Review Update

Hello TScustomer,

A few of us just spoke about your account and we are all on the same page. Chris & Milissa are going to be your primary contacts to have this issue resolved. A lot of eyes are on your issue.

It was brought to my attention that you did not necessarily want to perform some troubleshooting to have your current issue resolved (No Sync turned into Slow Speeds) which really makes it difficult for us to get your issue resolved. As per your conversation with Chris, we are waiting on your no sync ticket to clear (should be by tomorrow morning) and if that doesn't resolve your issue, then we will open a raise to best ticket to see if Bell can see something wrong on the line. If they can't, we will need to troubleshoot for slow speeds to move this forward and for this we'll need your help.

We also have our Quality department reviewing your account so that we can provide coaching where necessary and make changes to processes that need fixing.

Chris/Milissa should be in contact with you with any updates.

TScustomer

join:2014-03-26

Re: Review Update

Andre,

With regard to the troubleshooting not performed today: I was contacted by Michelle this morning and she assured me a Bell technician would be coming to my door by 12 noon as per the ticket. I later received a call from Justin, the Bell technician, asking if my modem had sync, which it then did. He said he'd completed his work at the box; he's not coming to my residence (no need for me to waste the day off work), and that a different technician is doing some other line work in the area that should be finished by 2pm and definitely by 5pm and at that time my connection would run at full speed. Around 12pm Michelle called back and I explained what the Bell technician had told me. Upon hearing I had sync and speeds of a few kb/s she started the whole process of troubleshooting my equipment and opening a new ticket. Knowing what the Bell technician had said and having explained it to her I did not want to give up more of my time on a pointless exercise. Now that local line work is complete, according to the Bell technician, I will happily troubleshoot this issue.

Had you been fully briefed on the situation perhaps you would have refrained from framing this entire debacle as me being unwilling to perform unnecessary tests and not wanting to open new tickets before existing ones are even closed.

Perhaps uninformed CSRs shouldn't be calling customers to check on installation if their only response to problems is to place blame on customer hardware and open a new ticket. Two phone calls and one escalation later the real cause of the problem is confirmed on your end - local Bell line work. This is what I had initially told Michelle. Time wasted on that exchange alone: 3 hours.

Having many eyes on my issue is of no reassurance. I have spoken to 10+ Teksavvy CSRs and escalation leads me back to where I start - Account Managers. I've tried to reach a director and haven't even been told of that position until today despite asking, for days, to escalate above Account Manager.

On Monday I requested a call back from an Account Manager's superior and was told I'd receive a callback from a manager (perhaps they meant director - your CSRs use titles interchangeably and just pass calls between themselves). The 24-48 hour window I was given for the callback has expired and I have not been contacted by anyone beyond an Account Manager - the very position of person I spoke to when first discussing the move order. Clearly your company treats escalation with disregard.

This post only outlines the last three days' issues. There have been a series of mistakes and misinformation going on for two weeks now. I have documentation going back to the original order and will gladly go over what has happened issue by issue, day by day. I would again like to point out that when mentioning this to Melissa I was cut off. She offered no remedy to this chaotic situation and passed the buck to Bell. That is not a satisfactory response.

It is now well past 5pm - when I was assured by the Bell technician that my internet would be working at full capacity: 10M down, 1M up. The service is currently maxing out at 1k down and 1k up. The ticket, which I was assured would be completed by noon today, remains incomplete and there is zero recourse or accountability by the Bell technician or your customer service department. It should not require this much time, effort and energy to have DSL internet installed. Had I given my business to either Rogers or Bell this process would be long over.

As a happy customer for years, a computer technician and former Teksavvy advocate this ordeal has put me off Teksavvy entirely and I can no longer recommend anyone do business with this company. Your disorganization, inaction, arrogance and disregard of customers is simply stunning.

-TScustomer

Kindly reply to my private post as it further details the ongoing problems.

Re: Review Update

Will do.

I will respond in the direct.

Review by TekSavvy123 See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
Good ""
Bad "Never connected service. Blamed Telus and me, the customer."
Overall "Avoid at all costs."

TekSavvy has themselves grown into a Korporation where the korporate culture is to blame the customer for everything.

In my case, I transferred my DSL internet service to TekSavvy, but something went wrong with the transfer. TekSavvy had a casual, indifferent, and nonchalant attitude towards trouble-shooting the problem and was more focused on shifting the blame to Telus and myself than resolving the problem. I cancelled my order two weeks after service was suppose to start and requested a full refund. After I cancelled my order, TekSavvy suddenly focus on trouble-shooting the problem. TekSavvy is also refusing to refund any money. All this and more is detailed in the email exchange below.

See the full story at »www.cece.ca/TekSavvy.pdf

Comments:

TSI DaveP
join:2013-07-12

Please Post

Please post your account information in the direct forum so I can have this investigated.

Dave P.
Director of Technical Support

TSI DaveP
join:2013-07-12

Contact

Hello Roy,

We will be in touch with your shortly, we have found your account information and will resolve this to your satisfaction.

Respectfully,
David P.
Director, Technical Support

Review by jaysona See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Not much anymore, aside from providng staitc IPs and ranges - sadly"
Bad "They're just like Bell - frustrations and all!"
Overall "Been with them for almost 10 years, hoping be rid of them in less than 10 days!"

So I started of with Teksavvy in 2005 and was extremely impressed with the knowledge of the people I spoke with at the time. Some context for this: I had recently moved from San Francisco to Montreal in 2003 and was accustomed to dealing with very tech savvy people in the Bay Area, so getting that same service in Canada was over the top for me.

Fast forward 10 years, I come home to my Internet service off, call the customer care line, I am told service has been cancelled, my /29 has already been grabbed by some internal TekSavvy team - essentially leaving me high, dry and dark. Of course this could not have happened at a worse time, I was supposed to leave for a tip to Asia today - since postponed for two days, another $5k and change out of my pocket. So, I have spend the next 4 hours re-configuring my firewalls and rules, updating DNS servers and all the associated files, just to get basic services back up and functional.

Root cause of this cluster eff? Good question, my suspicions are a combination of lack of knowledge/poor training, incompetence, negligence and just a general lack of caring about the customer - we're just a number now - seen no differently than how Bell, Telus, Rogers, Shaw, etc view their customers.

What lead to this? Well, that's pretty easy to see - and is what is really sad about this whole affair as well, as you'll see in the storyline below.

Since 2008 I had had two DSL circuits bonded together with MLPPP - first sign of trouble brewing is when the person I was talking to on the phone had no idea about MLPPP - and I was looking for faster upload speeds. Since 2008 FTTN has been deployed in my area and I am able to get some significantly faster rates, so why not? Added to the mix is that I have to places I live at, one in Montreal and one in Toronto, I decided to order the same service, so far so good, the person taking the order even stressed several times they were making notes not to cancel any of the current services until the new service was installed and up and running properly - meaning for a few days I would have double acounts - again no biggie to ensure a proper and smooth transition.

A couple of days later I get the notification that the new modems are being shipped via Canada Post - this is a problem, I have no gov't ID for my Montreal address - which is where the modems were being shipped. So, again pony up more cash - $225 - to have someone stay at my place to receive the modems. True to form - typical lazy assed gov't worker didn't even bother ringing the bell, just dropped the cards in the box.

So now I'm stuck, unable to pick up the packages, the people at the drugstore have given me and my friends a serious hassle in the past when trying to pick up packages that I have authorized them to pick up for me on my behalf.

So instead of enduring another fruitless battle with dumb assed Jean-Coutu clerks I decide to cancel the upgrade order, wait for another 3 weeks until I am settle back in Toronto and place a new order - easy breazy, right? I wish, I explained the situation to the customer service rep I spoke with, was told there should be no problem and that my current service will remain unaffected until I make my new order. I hang up, feeling fine, but a little bummed that I'll have to wait for another ~4 weeks for my faster service - but hey, what's another 4 weeks? Well, sadly my service didn't even stay up for another 4 days.

It's clear that several balls were dropped in the internal process, there appears to be very poor communication between teams, and no follow-up or customer engagement at all.

I find it very hard to believe that there is not one person within TekSavvy who would have wanted to know why someone who has been a customer for close to 10 years, has had accounts in multiple cities and spent up to $165/mo for service.

Seriously? No one was even the slightest bit curious? I guess that's what happens when the customer base reaches a level such that customers coming and going is not longer a business concern. Kudos to you TekSavvy - you've made into the shallow end of the big pool, but you're no longer worthy of the name you bear.

member for 14 years, 99 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Calero27

join:2014-01-13

Line Stats

Looking at your SNR and Sync rate you should be able to get higher than 3mb
jaysona

join:2000-03-22
Toronto, ON

Re: Line Stats

This is a really old review, the data rate available in 2005 was 3mb, today it is closer to 6mb.

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

2 edits

Hello Jaysona,

Thank you for this updated review. This sounds like a terrible experience indeed and we would most certainly like to review your account to see what has happened. I have attempted to locate your account with your handle however you are not tagged in our systems. Can you please message us in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct with your account information so we can investigate this further and see what has happened?

Tsi-ashleigh
jaysona

join:2000-03-22
Toronto, ON

Re: Review

possibly because you forgot the "y" in my name?

Attention to detail - very important - that's what help to separate those that succeed from those that fail. *sigh*

TSI Marc
join:2006-06-23

Re: Review

I'm sure interested. I think you're dead wrong on caring. There's a ton of it. At 500 employees though, we have to get the right people on the job. Your review pisses me off. Full stop. Caring has nothing to do with this. I know what you're looking for, I was probably the one who configured your IP back in the day, and I know (surely you know also) that it's not possible to have that level of expertise for each and every employee at this size. We need to find a way to get you directly to a special team that you can talk turkey to. I have yet to find a way to do that, without creating a situation where everybody wants that special team... Feel free to PM me if you care to discuss this further. It's not as simple as it seems. I've been trying to find simple ways to deal with this for a few years now.

If you had an old IP, we have been trying to cycle them out for a long time. Nothing nefarious.

I will be sure to chase this down.
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Review by lyran See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "It's cheap"
Bad "It's incredibly unreliable, and their tech support is not helping"
Overall "I'd avoid them. Suck it up and pay more for proper service"

I've had TekSavvy in my current location for three years. For the past several months, however, connectivity has been awful. I've had the Netflix problems as mentioned by others in the forums, but they're more general than that, images missing from many popular sites, and still having Netflix problems. Ping and trace route times are as good as one could hope, yet web browsing is intermittent at best.

TekSavvy has been extremely unresponsive and unwilling to go up the chain after we'd eliminated every possibility a problem in my home. I'm starting to investigate other carriers for a switch.

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Thanks for you review

Hello,

I'm terribly sorry to hear you have been having these issues. We did have some issues reported on the public forum about Netflix issues, but these have been fixed. As for the other issues you have mentioned, we haven't had any of these types or reports on a big scale. Would you please post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum so we may be able to take a closer look at your situation.

Thanks & Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

Call

Hey there,

We believe to have found your account. We are having a Supervisor call you to address your concerns.

Regards,

Chatham, ON

Update

How did your call go?

Review by pu12 See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "No terms, reasonable prices, easy to cancel."
Bad "Worst speeds since dialup. Large upfront cost for modem and installation"
Overall "Extraordinary fluctuations in service quality depending upon region."

I switched to TS cable since the building does not have updated DSL lines (limited to 3.5mb). Was with bell before with an unlimited plan.

Picked cable 35 (most probably), bought modem and waited for rogers to come activate the line. The first day (which was a sunday) the speeds tested fine. I assume it was because no one was using the internet heavily. But from Monday, the speeds were terrible. Download speeds during the day (FTP) was about 30-40 KB/s. And at night it was much worse. During the weekends it would improve slightly, but never to the point of actually reaching the advertised speeds. Not even close. To say it was infuriating would be to put it lightly. Atleast with DSL, the speed was consistent.

After waiting for a few months to see if there would be improvements in quality, called rogers and signed up for cable internet and haven't had any issues since.

My problem isn't really that the connection was bad since the problems can have many causes. And everyone is quick to blame rogers for the shitty speeds and how teksavvy is a blameless victim of the behemoth that is rogers. But teksavvy MUST have known the connection wouldn't be reliable and I would get terrible speeds. There was no warning while I was signing up to let me know this may be the case. And I refuse to blame rogers like everyone else when I complain about this because I wasn't paying rogers for my service.

I know people who have great service from TS, which is why I picked them in the first place. Unfortunately I seem to have gotten the service somewhere it wasn't reliable. Make sure you do your proper due-diligence on the quality of the service before you switch.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello Pu12,

Thank you for the review. I regret to hear you did not enjoy your TekSavvy service. With speed issues there can be many causes; I’m not sure if you completed troubleshooting on your connection it sounds like you may have just waited it out to see if there would be improvement. Without completing troubleshooting we don’t have a way to tell you where the issue is. Also; if you don’t contact us to tell us you’re having an issue we assume your service is working. It sounds like this was something we could have resolved and fixed for you had we been aware of an issue.

Thanks again for this review.
TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

Review by carlom See Profile

• Location: Laval,QC
Good "Pre-Installation info and modem delivery"
Bad "Installation was a nightmare and TekSavvy insists on charging me for service when they were never able to get me connected"
Overall "You get what you pay for. Horrible installation and questionable billing practices, avoid at all costs"

·Videotron
I am currently on Cable Internet (with Videotron) and consistently get 15/10 speed but the high price drove me to explore options. I decided to give TekSavvy an opportunity. When I ordered the DSL 25/10 service, I had high hopes and was excited about potentially improving my speed and bandwidth at a significantly lower price. Here's the story:

1.) Ordered 25/10 via the website. process was simple and smooth. No issues

2.) Modem arrived about 3 days later. No issues.

3.) On the date of installation, I was told 2 technicians would pass by, one would work inside the house while the other (the Bell technician), would work outside.

3a) The 1st technician arrives around 2 pm. Installs a POTS splitter at the point of use (my living room), plugs in the modem. There is no DSL signal but he says that's normal because the Bell (outside) tech hasn't done his work yet. All told, this 1st tech was present less than 15 minutes.

3b) After waiting around all day and not getting a DSL signal (flashing light on the modem) I open a chat session with TekSavvy asking if they could confirm if the Bell Tech hooked up the DSL. I'm told to wait until the next day, everything should work

4.) On Day 2, there is no DSL signal. I call TechSavvy Support

4a) Phone tech tells me Bell (outside tech) had confirmed they passed by and the DSL should be hooked up. Phone tech says they are concerned it might be my inside wiring. Asks me to take the modem outside to plug it directly into the Telco DEMARC jack to see if I get DSL signal. I trudge through 3 feet of snow in my back yard and plug the modem into the DEMARC. No DSL signal. TekSavvy Phone Tech says he'll open a ticket with Bell Canada but warns me that if they find there is a DSL signal at the DEMARC, I will be charged ~$90. I figure it's a small risk and tell him to go ahead.

5.) Day 3, Bell dispatch calls to ask if their technician can pass by in the afternoon to do the testing. I agree. Bell Tech arrives at 5 PM. He goes to Bell Neighborhood NODE and returns to my house. Informs me the DSL was never hooked up at the NODE. He then spends the next hour outside at Telco Box and on the Bell pole, comes back and tells me all is good. DSL signal works at the DEMARC. We connect the Modem to the splitter (in my living room),and, guess what, no DSL signal ! He tells me it's the wiring inside my house and I have to deal with TekSavvy on that issue.

6.) Day 4, I decide to take the modem, trudge through 3 feet of snow in my backyard to the Telco box and test the DSL signal myself. Lo and behold, no DSL signal at the DEMARC !!

7.) I call TekSavvy and politely inform them I have had enough adventure and would like to cancel the order. Clearly, given the above, it's best to just realize this won't work and just move on. The TekSavvy representative asks me if I'd be willing to have another technician (the 4th) come by, I told them it was pointless given the experience. Especially since I would be risking the $90 Bell Tech charge. 4 days of effort was much more than I signed up for, especially since I paid for installation.

Here's the worst part:

Even though I was NEVER able to get a DSL signal and the service was NEVER rendered, TekSavvy tells me I will not be refunded for the 1st month of service ($44.95 + tax) or the cost for installation and they will accept the modem return but I will be charged a $25 restocking fee. I told them I would not argue regarding the cost for installation (the guy did show up) or the modem restocking fee (I wanted to be a nice guy) but the fact they would not refund the 1 month of prepaid service was ridiculous !! Keep in mind, I did all I could to get this to work, I was polite to their telephone reps and technicians, I personally assisted by checking the DEMARC twice and NEVER, not for a second, got any Internet service (a fact their phone technician confirmed). And TekSavvy feels justified not refunding the month of service? Charging for services NOT RENDERED is akin to THEFT.

I would expect a responsible company to acknowledge the above experience and agree to a refund in full, however, given TekSavvy is essentially a reseller, I figured I'd be completely fair. I didn't argue the installation charge(although with no DSL signal, I think I'd be justified in asking for this to be refunded as well), I didn't argue the modem restocking fee (although I doubt the modem was new, as advertised) but when I was told I'd have to pay for the month of service, which was never delivered, well, that's is just too much. As I said earlier, charging someone for a service you DID NOT DELIVER is unethical and akin to theft.

I will post the above story to all relevant websites until I receive proper resolution to my grievance.

Comments:

TSI JonD
join:2013-07-29

Hello Carlom,

Thank you very much for the review and for bringing this to our attention. All feedback is appreciated. I'm very sorry to hear about the frustrations you've had with this install. I would be more than happy to look in to this for you but I will first need to ask you to create a ticket here.

You will simply click the drop down menu and select "DSR - I was instructed to create a ticket."

Then from there simply provide as much of your account info as you are able to and we will be able to assist you shortly.

Regards,
Jon
carlom

join:2013-12-21
Laval, QC

2 edits

Re: Review

Ok. As requested, I have opened a ticket ( ticket # 48838). Let's see where it goes from there. I'll post progress on this review as well.

Review by fred222 See Profile

• Location: York,ON
Good "price"
Bad "Support is non existence. Teksavvy depends on Bell's support for DSL "
Overall "terrible service"

I have my home phone line and Internet on DSL with Teksavvy. i used to be with Bell on DSL. I have had nothing but issues with their service. Both my home line and DSL drop intermittently. I get a lot of static on the line. I have called them numerous times but still nothing. Teksavvy is cheap for a reason. they really are not able to give support what so ever. I am considering leaving and possibly going to Rogers on cable.

I would like to update this review as of May 21 2013. David at Teksavvy support took ownership of my issue. We had to call the Bell techs to come to the house multiple times. They eventually found a bad distribution cable on the Bell side. My line has been static free for over a week now and DSL has been solid since then. Let’s hope it stays this way.

Thank you all for your support at Teksavvy

Update Dec 17 2013

The static on the landline came back. It worked fine with no issues until last Friday Dec 13 2013 then all of a sudden the static came back. Teksavvy support has not been helping me. Mathew in support wanted me to go home so they could run some tests. When I got home I called support Shawn answered and he said there were no tests that he could do. I am very confused. The support agents tell me different things. no one is willing to take responsibility for my issues.

I get a lot of static intermittently on the line. The static is quite obvious at the NID when it occurs. I have connected an analog phone on the NID and I still hear the static.

Numerous Bell tech have showed up but still nothing. Teksavvy wants to send another Bell tech again.

This is the last time I am going to wait for a tech to show up. If the problem is not fixed I'm looking elsewhere.

member for 1 year, 35 visits, last login: 126 days ago

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Static on the phone

Hello,

Very sorry to hear you are having issues with your phone service. Due to this, it may be the cause of your issues with your DSL service as well.

If you would please send me a PM TSI Martin See Profile or post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum. We would like to see what is happening and the reason why a Bell tech has not been sent to your house to fix the issue at the Demarcation point.

Please refer this review in order to help you better. »Review of TekSavvy DSL by fred222

Thanks & Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

Hi Martin,
thank you for your reply. The Bell techs have come twice. They keep saying the line tests fine. There are times that I don't have DSL or dial tone. The problem is intermittent. The number that the DSL is on is [phone number removed for privacy] in the Toronto area.

Hello Fred,

I see that you have messaged Martin and that you wont be available until after 6pm.

We will organize to have someone call you after 6pm to help resolve this issue.

Cheers,

Director of Service Delivery

TekSavvy Website | TekSavvy Blog

Hambone

@rogers.com
Had a phone problem here, called India and they sent Techs out twice, no problem the techs say. Finally got a number in London, ON for service. Called it, problem fixed in two days. It was at a switching station miles from here. Furthest the first two techs I got when I called in to Bombay for service was the Bell panel just up the road.

Re: Static on the phone

I think you are correct. I have been in touch with TSI support. They sent a tech to install a POTS splitter. I am 100% sure that the problem is at the CO not in the house. The problem is that everyone blames the house wiring/phone/modem.
In the weekend I heard a lot of clicking on the line. I disconnected all cable pairs going into the house at the demarc. I put an analog phone on the demarc. I could still hear the clicking very loud. To me this is a CO issue.
I'm still in communication with TSI support. Someone from support is trying to help me. I am hoping they are able to fix the issue.

·TekSavvy DSL

Update

As of today May 05 my DSL and phone line are not fixed yet. TSI support calls Bell. Bell techs show up. First thing they do they remind me that I am not a Bell customer then they say there is nothing wrong then they leave. There must have been 6 or 7 techs that have shown up in the past month and half.
If anyone at TSI has a suggestion please let me know. Maybe there are other option? My DSL and phone lines were down from Saturday morning till Sunday morning. They just came up now. I know they will go down again. I am sure you have seen this scenario before, any ideas?

TSIElizabeth
join:2012-08-20

Response to Update

Hi There,

I'd like to have a look into your account to ensure that everything is in order and ensure the miscommunication you experienced didn't affect anything. I'm hoping this most recent bell tech will resolve the issue. Please feel free to open a ticket with us »help.teksavvy.com/hc/en-us/reque···orms/new so we can investigate or if you have any questions on the upcoming dispatch.

I look forward to hearing from you and thanks for all of your patience!
Liz
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

"Not all those who wander are lost."