TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by chris127638 See Profile

• Location: m4b183
Bad "absolutely corrupt"

Worst service i have ever experienced in my entire life. A completely dysfunctional, poorly structured and organized company. Horrible and untrained customer service. I've been a teksavvy customer for over 3 years and honestly I've never really had a problem until recently and I was so disturbed and offended by their lack of consideration or value to a loyal client but also by their inability to take responsibility for their negligence. On the 1st of April I requested a transfer of service to my new address and arranged for a service tech to come to my house on the 8th. Assuming the service fees would be charged to my account and that the sales agent neglecting to inform me I needed to pay for the service fee prior to installation, I booked work off and waited for 6 hours for a technician to show and never did. I called to enquire as why and they told be it was because I never paid the fee. Might I add that they neglected to email me an invoice for the service bill therefore I had no way of knowing my service was dependant on payment prior to the technician coming nor did I have an exact amount that I could pay them. After a account manager confirmed my story as true, I paid the service fee plus they had told me i had an oustanding ballance from my previous address that I needed to pay in order for them to process the new service, not thinking I paid it and a date set for the 16th of April. Booked off another day of work and waited and waited. No tech. Nor did I receive a phone call updating me on the status of my service or that there was a delay and the tech would be late or not be able to show. So I called and spoke to an account manager who told me that pretty much he doesn't know what is going on and that because it is a bell technician who was assigned I'd have to find out from bell. So no resolution still. He told me that when they are updated with a new time they will let me know. The next day no phone call. No tech. So I called again at 8pm. Find out that a technician had come and was able to do his business without even coming into the house in the first place and that the Internet is ready and working. Thus Making the two days booked off work redundant and costing me 300$ in wages and a whole lot of my time. Plus I was informed by another account manager tthat I wasn't supposed to be charged for a "previous balance" because I had already paid for my last month's bill at the old address and it was just an accounting error. This whole situation negatively affected mine and my roommates academic life, work life and personal life and consumed a great deal of my time plus stress. And when I asked for compensation I was offered a insulting $15 credit for the 2 weeks I've been out of Internet. I was apauled and felt so insulted that everything this endeavour cost me in then end and none of it was even taken into account. I canceled my service and they took the $100 it cost me for the installation. Unforgettable.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week
lodged a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Viral See Profile

• Location: Windsor,ON
Good "Quick, Painless, Tech was very polite and ensured there was sync directly to the modem!"
Bad "We had to explain a few times to the Tech where and why we wanted it installed where it is now."
Overall "Great service, friendly representatives, GREAT PRICE! (Cheaper than Cable for the speed)"

I've been a TekSavvy customer for about 2 years now on their Cable 14 (now Cable 20) and have been more than happy with their service.

I was shocked when I checked and found out I qualified for 50.0 on DSL. In this area we only get 6.0, so I had to use Cable to get the speeds I needed. I was so happy once I moved and this location qualified for 50.0 on the Bell website. I called over to TekSavvy and spoke to Jenn and she confirmed the information and submitted my order. Seconds later I received my confirmation e-mail with the dates I selected for installation.

Since the service required a VDSL modem I purchased the SmartRG 505N.

Everyone I spoke to was very professional and I was expecting to be sold a Bell service from the technician, but he was very courteous. I had to explain to the technician a few times where and why I wanted it installed in my office/gaming room, he went into the basement to check the wiring to see if there was an alternate way to install without damaging my home. (I was prepared for him to drill through the wall)

The tech was here for about an hour but did a magnificent job and setup a jack and even took the time to confirm there was sync on the line!

Great work TekSavvy, keep up the great work on the CRTC front!

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

RE: Review by Viral

Hello Viral,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this excellent review!

Glad to hear that everything went smoothly for your transition to DSL. Should you have any questions or concerns please feel free to either reach out to us in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum or call an agent at 1-877-779-1575.

Review by rizlo100 See Profile

• Location: Aurora,ON
Good "Canadian Staff, technologically forward company"
Overall "Excellent service, well recommended."

Update 4/16/2014:

Well, it's been a few years and despite TSI's growing pains, I'm still a loyal TSI DSL customer. Since my last update, I've moved 3 times and taken my service with me with minimal interruptions. Most recently, I moved into a old house (over 100yrs) and ordered 2 VDSL (25/10) lines to the house and cancelled my existing line at my apartment. TSI's customer service rep was very patient and was able to handle my large order and long list of tasks that needed to be completed for the move.
On the install date, a bell tech showed up. Discovered only 1 pair was currently run to the house, so he ran me a completely new drop from the nearby remote. He made sure my modems synced up without issue (infact, they'll sync much higher than TSI's current service offerings!) and ensured I was seeing good speed. TSI ensured I had all the information and hardware needed prior to the tech showing up.

Over all, another excellent experience and still one of the only ISP's that can provide a technical user with the service and features he wants!

Update 9/5/2011:

So it's been a couple of years now and still no complaints really. The bandwidth usage has even been INCREASED by 100GB.

I still stand by my original review. To this date I have yet to find a company that can provide the services I need at a reasonable cost. Looking forward to new offerings from TSI as they come out!

Original:
Been with TSI (DSL) for just over a year after the local ISP I was working at was purchased. While they are limited in the speed offerings they make up for it in service. No other company was able to provide the services I needed at anywhere near the same cost.

Over all I recommend to everyone!

Comments:

TSI Keith
join:2012-07-09

Your Review

Hello there,

Thanks for the recent update, we are always thrilled to receive feedback from our customers. I'm glad to hear all went well with the recent move and that the Bell tech was able to provide the line you needed.

If you ever do have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to reach out to us in the »TekSavvy Direct forum.

Thanks again,
Keith
TSI Keith Online Services Account Manager - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Review by MarkBogus See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Tech Support was great"
Bad "Installation dates changed without notice, modem not configured correctly"
Overall "A few bumps in the installation, but well worth the switch"

I switched to Teksavvy from another independent ISP who could not (or would not) upgrade my 6Mbps ADSL connection. The order process went smoothly, and I received my new modem (Zyxel VSG 1432) very quickly. However my installation date was moved back twice and I was not notified; the way I found out was to post a message asking for confirmation of the install date on the Teksavvy Direct Support forum. I was also told that I had to be home for the installation (remember that I already had DSL service). This turned out to be incorrect because Telus did the install and activation remotely.

As it turned out, Telus did something wrong because I had no DSL connection. After running through the usual checklist, Teksavvy Tech Support submitted a ticket to Telus, and the problem was resolved in less than 24 hours (at no extra cost to me of course, since the problem was on the Telus side).

I had a DSL connection, but no internet access. So I contacted Teksavvy Tech Support via telephone, and we determined that my modem was not configured properly; it was set up for ADSL service when in fact I am on VDSL2 service. So we set up a new WAN Interface file and that fixed the problem. Tech Support was knowledgeable, patient, and persistent. I have nothing but good things to say about my interactions with them.

The connection is fast and stable: I am on the 25/2 DSL plan and I get 24.6 down and 2.8 up consistently.

»speedtest.net/result/2374894276.png

Overall, I am very happy with my Teksavvy experience thus far.

Updates to follow

December 24, 2012 Update

I started a Line Monitoring session on December 17, and received my first weekly report today:

Outage report as seen by new jersey USA ny-monitor.dslreports.com
--------------------------------------
UP 2012-12-17 04:03:39 - 2012-12-24 03:33:35 (1004 samples)
** Your IP had 100% reachability during the period!

Outage report as seen by san francisco USA 64.81.79.40
--------------------------------------
UP 2012-12-17 04:04:05 - 2012-12-24 03:33:35 (1003 samples)
** Your IP had 100% reachability during the period!

In fact the only issues I have had with my connection have been when I was monkeying with my router settings and had to reboot. Speed is consistently 24.6 down and 2.8 up.

January 16, 2013

One month on and very happy with with the DSL service. The Zyxel modem is rock solid reliable and the connection is stable and always up. I have learned that I cannot let TCP max out my upload bandwidth lest my download speed suffer, but hey, that is the nature of TCP.

March 30, 2014

The ZyXel VSG1432 modem suddenly failed on March 19, 2014, after 15 months. The failure mode was no PPPoE login in either router or bridge mode, and therefore no internet. After a couple of wrong turns with Tech Support, and escalating to Telus (remote line and DSL diagnosis) we determined that the modem was the problem.
I ordered a replacement, which arrived in 5 business days, and was back up and reconnected in about 10 minutes. Total down time was 10 days, which is not bad, considering my work schedule, Telus involvement, and the purchase/shipping of a replacement modem from Chatham to Alberta. Yes, it was inconvenient and frustrating, but I felt that Tech Support was always ready to help.

Comments:

JonF
Chatham, ON

"A few bumps in the installation, but well worth the switch"

Hello,

I'm happy to hear that everything is now working for you. I do apologize for the delay in your activation. If you require any further assistance, you can contact us in the direct forum (as you know), as we are always happy to help!

Have a great day!
rkaushik

join:2002-03-31
Tallahassee, FL

get service directly with Bell

Would not recommend teksavvy phone or internet service in the GTA. In GTA they lease Bell lines. Any install or service order has to go to Bell. If you ever have an issue, Bell will make sure that they provide the worst service possible to teksavvy customers. In the end the customer ends up getting screwed while it may not be teksavvy's fault.
My recent example: Phone line was down. Teksavvy filed repair ticket with Bell. Bell did some remote testing and determined that everything was ok without coming to my home to check if there was a dial tone outside my home. Bell closed the ticket. I called teksavvy back and they called Bell again. Bell argued but finally agreed to sent tech out. Bell tech determined that my telephone line had been disconnected at the neighborhood network box! I was asked to be home for a 5 hour window both times that Bell tech was supposed to come out.
In total I had service outage for 5 days for no fault of Teksavvy.
Lesson learned- however bad Bell is I would much rather have service directly with Bell. Bell now offers no contract service (internet and phone) like teksavvy and prices very competitively.
So why would you go through teksavvy and not directly to Bell? I had teksavvy for a long time because I disliked Bell but in the end what matters is my service uptime and not getting the run around. Interesting when I switched to Bell I was offered multiple installation windows for 3 hours and the tech called me before he showed up.
LanAdmin

join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC
·ELECTRONICBOX

said by rkaushik:

Would not recommend teksavvy phone or internet service in the GTA.

That can happen event if you are with Bell. My neighbor who is directly with Bell had intermittent phone service for over a week before Bell finally solved the problem.

Personally I would never go with Bell again.
rkaushik

join:2002-03-31
Tallahassee, FL

Re: get service directly with Bell

Unfortunately we are stuck with bell owning the lines. If it took bell that long then it would have taken longer via teksavvy and a lot more pain for the consumer via long and inflexible appointment windows, teuchs not calling ahead, brokering everything via teksavvy, etc.
LanAdmin

Not sure

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello MarkBogus,

Thank you for the updated review. I am happy to hear you are still enjoying the service. I regret to hear there was an issue with your modem, I am however thrilled to see we were able to send you a new modem and get you back on line.

Thank you again for the updated review. If you have any issues or questions we can always be reached through the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

Tsi-ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

Review by dgass See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "Great price, Awesome tech support."
Overall "I'm glad I have a choice!"

·Rogers Hi-Speed
I'm glad that I have a choice!

Everything that Bell should be. As an IT Consultant, I've been spreading the word.

Install date was given much sooner than I had thought.
Install completed on the day scheduled. No issues. Speed tests confirm speeds are as advertised.

Tech support is still great. DSL Side anyway. I can't speak for the CABLE side.

Still the best ISP I've dealt with. Again, since I'm in IT I deal on behalf of business's and residential alike.

Comments:

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
·FreePhoneLine

advice

A bit of advice if you don't mind me saying.

This review looks fixed because you gave 100% across the board and 5 words. Explain your install process, the sale process, how the net has run for you. Could speeds be better for the price? Enjoying your caps? Why should users choose TSI over Bell?

This review looks too plain and too fixed to bring ratings up.

I do hope you properly edit your review to describe to potential customers why they should choose Teksavvy. It helps more than an empty review.

Every ISP has it's faults, no one is 100%. Mention where they can improve so they can improve. Marc, Rocky and especially Martin read these all the time. If there was even the smallest thing let them know and next time someone orders they'll address it and most likely fix it.

it's detailed reviews that has helped TSI get better.
dgass

join:2007-09-27
Etobicoke, ON

Re: advice

If there were problems, I would say so.

Also, this was an update of my original review back in 2008.

Change in speed. Called in, ordered new speed. Paid, Install was done during the time I was told. Everything works fine. Why do I have to state every detail?

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
·FreePhoneLine

RE

An update? Where? As i said, the review looks fixed. It looks like TSI hired someone to post a thumbs up. I know it wasn't because i've seen you around. Doesn't change for new customers. Back in 2006 when i first signed up with Teksavvy, i signed up based on the reviews i read HERE on DSLR. No where else. I seen short reviews like this i'd start to question it. It's nothing new in the industry.

Reviews like these are usually bumped up to knock the not so great ones back down. So to make sure it doesn't look that way it's not hard to post a few details.

Some reviews i find are too long and i tend to skim through them, but i trust the users review because they took the time to write it. There are or used to be a few on here that just said "Great ISP".

Do you use little bandwidth? Maybe suggest lower tiers as many users are hoping TSI does eventually. You rated support 100%, did you actually use support yet? If so how was the wait time, friendly? helpful? dead air? on hold a lot? Not picking on YOU, just the review. I hate seeing these short 100% reviews since they really do nothing good for TSI except look like a false review.

Do as you please, it's yours of course, just my two cents if you'd like to give something back to TSI, i know they can sure use a few good reviews. Use for example, DSLR gives a little message on the top right side to let a user know if their review is above match or below consensus in regards to the score given. DSLR determined yours as you can see for yourself is "(ratings above consensus)".

That's all i'm getting at. Have yourself a good night (or morning now)

RE:update

Hello dgass,

Thank you for your wonderful update! Glad to hear that everything is still going well for you!! Should you have any questions please feel free to either post a message in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum or call an agent at 1-877-779-1575.

Review by tracer99 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Great customer service for a 3rd party"
Bad "Still a 3rd party."
Overall "Best company to deal with for internet access."

I have been with Teksavvy for over a decade. I've always used them as a DSL provider as I prefer the consistency and reliability of DSL over the unreliable speed of cable.

I'm currently on 25/10 service but actually get 27/10 (conformed by speedtest).

I've had one negative experience with Teksavvy customer service. This was for my girlfriends connection years ago. Bell moved her line card and her connection turned to shit. It took over month to resolve the issue. This is not Teksavvy's fault, but simply the reality that Bell (and Rogers) sometimes screw them over and there is nothing that can be done. I personally have never had a support issue in over 10 years. Nor have I had a reason to complain at Teksavvy. (Bell on the other hand...).

If you can live with the rare instance of the upstream provider screwing over Teksavvy and you, it's well worth it.

Comments:

TSI Andre

2 edits

Hi tracer99,

Thanks for posting a review. I see that your review comments are pretty positive and I am happy to see that but the rating score provided paints another story. Is there anything I can do to help?

You can PM me if you prefer.

Thanks,

Andre
Director of Online & Operations Intelligence

TekSavvy Website | Follow Me on Twitter (@AndreCleroux)
tracer99

join:2008-10-23
Toronto, ON

Re: Review

My brain reversed the sides of the score. Fixed.

Meh... It's Monday

Thanks!!!

Review by shopkins See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Excellent Price, Smooth Conversion, Faster Service"
Bad "Still waiting to find one"
Overall "Excellent everything. Lived up as advertised"

I was previously a Bell sympatico subscriber but due to unrelated reasons I decided to switch to another DSL provider. TekSavvy had been mentioned by friends as a reliable, fast and not overly expensive DSL provider. I had also done some research here on DSLreports.

I called to ask to sign up while still a Sympatico subscriber. The CSR told me that I needed to call back ~7days before my Sympatico service was canceled because calling too far ahead would not make coordination easy. So I canceled my sympatico (reason given: need to have a fixed IP without signing up for a $100/mo Business account) and called TekSavvy back a week before my planned cancellation date with Sympatico. Setup of the account was a breeze (I had already converted to a TekSavvy Home Phone account earlier so they used the information already on file) and in fact spent more time chatting with TSI James about video games while he was "processing" my new DSL account. 2 days before the official Sympactico disconnect I called TSI Tech Support to make sure all was OK and then started the process of testing the modem on the line. After being unable to set up my SpeedStream 6520 (not a supported modem by TSI) I called tech and got some help until it was determined that I was connecting to TekSavvy but user error (mine) had set up the bridge mode incorrectly. Once I was set up and connected I sent a PM to TSI Jason (who had helped me troubleshoot the modem) asking to be put on a faster line. Check my line speeds to see the results of asking them to work on my behalf: »/testhistory/1553727/334f2

Overall I have had no problems and service has been excellent. I wish many of my interactions with companies was this pleasant.

Update May 2009 - 1 year in: No problems at all. Still getting a 6016/800 profile (interleave) and speeds are always good. Fixed IP, MLPPP (for future line bonding) and all the excellent TSI staff is well worth staying with the.

Update Feb 27 2010 - Human nature wants me to find something to complain about. I am unable to do so unfortunately. I am still satisfied with my TSI.

Update July 2011 - The system wants me to update my review... Other than rare disconnects I keep forgetting that I am getting DSL from TSI. It is totally seamless. With potentially new higher speeds coming I am looking froward to the good service.

Update Feb 2012 - I have upgraded to the 16M package package, and the only goof up was on Bell's part (poor wiring of the POTS DSL splitter / filter; stayed on a 12M profile initially). TSI logged tickets and resolved the issues promptly and courteously. Still happy to have my money (internet & home phone) going to TSI.

Update Feb 2014 - I had to leave TSI after moving to a new city and in a new home that only had Fibre. Was always excellent service (DSL and customer). Sad to leave but I will be on the lookout!

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello Shopkins,

Thank you for the wonderful review. I am happy to see you used our service for many years with no issue. This is great to see. It is also lovely to see you had many interactions with many employees and all interactions were courteous and pleasant.

I am very sorry to hear that you have disconnected your TekSavvy service however I certainly do understand and apologize that we do not have the Fibre available are your new home. Please keep checking back with TekSavvy we are always adding new areas and new services. If we have Fibre in your area in the future we would be happy to give you all the information about the service.

Thank you again for this review.
TSI_Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

shopkins

join:2008-05-23
L4N8J7

Re: Review

Thanks. If I can make you guys my Long Distance provider I will stay on!

Review by SimplePanda See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "The best Canadian ISP. Excellent value and great support."
Overall "If you want value, reliability, and performance this is your ISP."

Having used / subscribed to both Bell DSL (including FTTN) and Rogers Hi-Speed (DOCSIS 2.0 and 3.0) services in Toronto, I can honestly say that TekSavvy is really the best ISP one can use if their services are available to you.

Performance is always great and on the rare occasion that there are any issues, the TekSavvy staff are available to answer questions both here on dslreports.com and via their support lines. Staff is very responsive and, knowledge wise, is the best ISP support staff I've ever dealt with.

- Reasonable usage and speeds for reasonable amounts
- Reasonable overage policy
- IPv6 beta service
- Excellent peering to everywhere on the internet (8ms pings to google.ca)
- Netflix Super HD / OpenConnect

You can't go wrong!

UPDATE January 2014: After 2+ years on TekSavvy VDSL2, Rogers (my local cable company) offered me an awfully good deal to come back to Rogers Internet service. Comparing the basic technical offering (150 Mbps, 10Mbps), I took the deal. Once it was installed and verified that it was working correctly for a week or so I cancelled TekSavvy.

I have returned to TekSavvy 2 months later (March 2014). Rogers just isn't worth it any deal. Once again using 50/10 VDSL2 on TekSavvy. Bell, unfortunately, put me on a Stinger (vs. a 7330 ALU) this time, but the connection seems OK regardless.

TekSavvy: Lower latency. Native IPv6. VDSL2 modems that are fully stable and fully supported in bridge mode with no compromises. If you have problems with packet routing for a service you're using, just post a message on DSLReports and it's likely a TekSavvy rep. can get an adjustment made, routing wise. In short, it's hard to go wrong if you're technically capable.

Rogers: Wildly variable latency (jitter) during primetime (due to the nature of DOCSIS). No IPv6 support (tunnelled, but not supported) with no announced or remotely discernible plans to implement it. Latest modems (the CGN3 "Advanced" device) crash constantly in bridge mode, so forget about using your own router. Support is a nightmare if you have an issue that's clearly on the Rogers side of the network.

Very happy to be back. Was stupid to have ever left.

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

Re:review

Hello there SimplePanda,

We would like to thank you for being a long time customer. We certainly appreciate your review. Should you have any other questions please feel free to either post in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum or call an agent at 1-877-779-1575.

Review by nanook See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "Works as advertised. Instant access if you already have DSL service."
Bad "None. If you want to read about Bad stuff go to the Bhell Internet ratings"
Overall "BettER than Bhell for 2/3 the price!"

Works as advertised. Instant access if you already have DSL service. No caps. No throttling. No bullshit. Just bettER service than Bell for 2/3 the price!

Updated 06Oct08: After almost a year with TekSavvy all I can add is that I am just as delighted with my decision today as I was when I made the switch from Bell. In the meantime I have migrated several family members from Bell to TSI and "encouraged" countless others to do likewise.

Updated 12Feb11: Still a very, very satisfied customer and still recommending to everyone I know who's still on Bhell to switch pronto.

Updated 12Apr13: Recently upgraded from 6/0.08 GAS to 15/1 FTTN. Upgrade went smoothly on the date promised. No downtime other than to reboot the modem. And the cost went down $2/month. What's not to like?

Updated 17Mar14: Nothing new to report other than the line has been rock solid.

member for 6.3 years, 1961 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Andre

Sweet!

Hi Nanook!

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide an update to your review.

We certainly appreciate the feedback and your continued patronage.

Cheers,

Andre
Director of Service Delivery

TekSavvy Website | TekSavvy Blog

RE: update 17Mar14

Hello nanook,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a great update!!
Glad to hear that everything is rock solid, as it should be .

If you ever require awesome customer support please send us a message in the »TekSavvy Direct forum or give us a call at 1-877-779-1575.

Sincerely,

Review by RizzleQ See Profile

• Location: Windsor,ON
Good "Great service at a great price"
Overall "Totally worth it"

·TekSavvy Cable
»Review of TekSavvy Cable by RizzleQ briefly describes events leading up to my switch to TekSavvy DSL and other events much later.

I ordered TekSavvy Dry-Loop 6meg DSL back on Jan 4th, 2012 over the phone with Brent and selected my activation date as Jan 13th. Brent was extremely helpful and detailed as he addressed and answered any concerns and questions I had. The requirement to be home from 8am to 5pm was fairly standard so I chose someday the next week I had off from work. I got a verification email the very same day, which I confirmed immediately to get the ball rolling. This email contained all the details I could ever need like pricing breakdown, tentative dates, possible additional costs, PPPoE and email credentials; good stuff.

Sometime shortly after this I realized I had made a shift trade at work for that week that I forgot about when selecting the activation date. It would have left me with working on Jan 13th and have Jan 12th off. I called TekSavvy as soon as I realized this and simply asked that they change the activation date to Jan 12th as that date was still over five business days away. After being thrown on a quick hold, Bill tells me this request has been placed. To be honest, the confidence in his voice as he told me this was… lacking to some extent, but this was a very simple request so I thought nothing of it. What could go wrong, right?

A couple days later I get an email letting me know my activation date was confirmed for Jan 13th... wait... what? I was annoyed, to say the least, when I found out from Linda that nothing actually changed with my order on that call that I placed only days before. She assured me very confidently that she sent off the request for sure this time. Luckily there was still enough time to make that happen. I waited at most one more day to delightfully hear the activation date was confirmed for Jan 12th. Now, all was well in the world.

Jan 12th rolls along and I get a phone call around 9am from someone asking me if I have a dry-loop DSL installation slated for the day. I confirm this as I look out my window to notice this person is a Bell tech sitting with another Bell tech in a Bell van in front of my house. The tech was unsure if he needed to do anything as he said he saw no NID attached to the side of my house, only the buried service wire coming out of the ground, run along my house for about 10 meters and go straight through the wall. I state there is no NID or even a testable jack inside or outside for me to confirm sync is active on my line.

I let both of them in my house and describe my wiring setup as we proceeded to the basement. We then met with the mess of telecom wires next to my electrical panel. One of the guys immediately determines what needs to be done, goes back to his van to get a bunch of stuff. I specifically asked that they don’t hook up the DSL to my existing home telephone wiring since there’s VOIP on there. He seemed fine with doing that, so about 25 minutes of work later and he’s done setting up a new wiring block with new wiring to a new isolated phone jack. He does a quick ANAC check on the line and says I’m all good to go once hearing my dry-loop number on his phone. As he starts packing up his tools, I plug in my preconfigured TP-Link DSL modem which gets sync and authenticates with TekSavvy’s RADIUS server fairly quickly. I was able to confirm the modem was getting a full 6016/800 sync rate and speed tests showed the associated 5.4 Mbps download/0.65 Mbps upload speed before the Bell techs left. I was pleased with their professionalism and neat setup of the dedicated line that I asked for.

In June of 2012, TekSavvy rolled out their IPv6 BETA program as part of the World IPv6 Launch (»www.worldipv6launch.org) that I happily jumped on as soon as they announced it. TSI Martin replied to my request with all the details I would need to set that up. I got some huge IPv6 subnets tied to their own unique DSL login that worked for me on the first try. Way to be, TekSavvy.

Now, let’s fast forward to mid-January 2013. I had been enjoying my DSL which was performing perfectly for a full year; no drops in speeds or connectivity at all. It was around this time that the weirdest slow speeds issue hit a bunch of people in the Windsor area. It was characterized by modems getting full synchronization, yet there were sporadic slow speeds at all times of the day. Most of the time my whole household had under 1 Mbps to share; it was brutal. I knew a few people in this region with tickets opened that dragged on for weeks. That was something called a “pattern match” slow speeds issue. It was pretty much as low priority as it gets considering it was a “service impairment” issue versus an “out of service” issue (on legacy DSL in a not so highly populated area no less). We had Internet connectivity at least when other people didn’t, so that’s kind of fair I guess. It was one of those “it’ll get fixed when it gets fixed” type of issues.

Around that same time there were talks about TekSavvy Cable coming to all areas that Cogeco services. This was enough to keep me hanging in there with that unpredictably slow DSL. I finally got hooked up with Cable in March of that year. I decided to keep my DSL line activated even though I had a considerably faster, perfectly working cable connection. To balance out the load, heavy users of the house use the cable, and everyone else uses the DSL. It’s a nice setup. The DSL speeds returned sometime around this time as well and seems to be fine according to those users in my house.

Overall, from the order date until today, the TekSavvy DSL experience has been mostly a positive one. The long stretches of great service can’t be overshadowed by any negative moments. You’ve got a happy TekSavvy DSL customer here for over two years.

member for 8.2 years, 776 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Kris
join:2013-11-18

Hello RizzleQ,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! It's sounds like quite a journey. We are most definitely delighted to hear you are happy with the services overall.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if there is ever anything we can help with!

Cheers,