TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by atmx093 See Profile

• Location: Gatineau,QC
Good "Fast, affordable and reliable cable in Quebec. Unbeatable if you have a little background in networking."
Bad "Installation had to be paid upfront. Would have prefered paying AFTER installation like most other companies do."
Overall "Once you're past the sales part which is meh, you're in for some good times. Tech support is A+."

Had a highly unreliable DSL service through TSI, so decided to switch to cable because I was fed up.

Everybody was very friendly, but the sales part was a big letdown. First off, I was never let on that I was going to have to pay for the installation RIGHT NOW otherwise the order wouldn't be placed. I don't like paying for an installation that hasn't even occurred yet and with almost all providers, you pay for the installation AFTER the fact. I believe this practice is in conflict with l'Office de la Protection du Consommateur's rules, but oh well, I was desperate to get off DSL so I swallowed the pill and moved on.

The tech who came to do the install left immediately after the wiring was done. Didn't care that the connection worked or not, he was mandated to leave the premises as soon as wiring was completed. Of course the connection didn't work. He needed to use a splitter which he set up all kinds of wrong. I had to fix the problem myself.

The connection works like a charm, hasn't gone down a single time whereas my DSL by now would have crashed at least 50 times. The best thing? I now pay a little over HALF what I used to pay for my crappy DSL. I'll have my install covered well within a year!

-------------------

As of December 2014, the connection is still working great and apart from router or modem hiccups, I have yet to see it go down. Occasional slowdowns during peak hours, but nothing to complain about. TSI is still #1 for this guy.

Comments:

TSI Alan

Review

Thank you for your feedback.

Our apologies that the pre-pay install policy was not made clear at the time you placed your order, and the onsite tech did not confirm that the connection was operational before leaving. That is not the typical TekSavvy experience we strive to provide for our customers.

Good to hear that the cable connection has proved to be more stable for you.

Let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Review by s0dhi See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Inexpensive, fast, decent bandwidth."
Bad "Horrible installation process - full of issues and hiccups."
Overall "Worth the $$$ if you can handle some instability and delays in support."

The installation process was awful with missed appointments, incorrect hardware shipped, etc; however, this was largely Bell's doing and not Teksavvy's.

After the first week, there has been an hour of downtime which I don't have a reason for at this time. Otherwise the connection has been stable and fast.

UPDATE: Nov. 10, 2011

I did suffer through ~4 days of downtime due to some issues at the remote.

I have had to report at least 3 tickets for this issue. The first was mistakenly closed by someone because they transposed the date and thought it to be an old issue (8/11 vs. 11/8) The second call resulted in a "fix" that lasted a couple of hours before the connection went down again. The third call made yesterday (Wednesday) resulted in someone coming out this evening to resolve the issue.

All in all, a much longer path to resolution than I would have liked, but at least the issue has been resolved and communication from TSI excellent.

UPDATE: Mar. 3, 2013

Everything has been running rock solid since the the last review. I'm thoroughly satisfied with Teksavvy's offering and today placed the order to upgrade to the 50/10 service.

UPDATE: Apr. 12, 2013

There were some issue with the upgrade to 50/10 in that:
1) Bell scheduled the work to be completed a a week from the order date. (kind of a long lead time to switch a profile)
2) Bell marked the upgrade ticket completed without actually doing anything
3) I had to open a ticket with Teksavvy to have Bell to get the original work performed
4) Bell arbitrarily set the profile such that I could only test at 46Mbps downstream
5) I had to open a ticket with TSI to correct this profile, but Bell refused to acknowledge the issue
5) I had to escalate the speed issue with TSI so that my profile would be set as it is for other TSI customers
6) TSI came through and got the profile set correctly

Since that ordeal, the connection has been rock solid and fast. It tests at just over 50/10 using speedtest.net

member for 3.3 years, 898 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Alan

April 12, 2013 Service Review

Hello,

Thank you for your latest update and feedback.

We do apologize for the rough spots in your recent upgrade to the 50/10 DSL service.
We also appreciate your understanding that some of the issues were beyond our control.

However, know that we will always do whatever we can to make things right for our customers!

Alan
s0dhi

join:2011-08-02
Brampton, ON
·TekSavvy DSL

Re: April 12, 2013 Service Review

Alan,

TSI has been great and the day-to-day service is excellent. The connection has been reliable and fast.

The only time I've had issues, they have been related to Bell.

• Initial install botched and appointments missed - took about 2 weeks to clear up
• Connection downtime resolved by Bell after 3 support calls created
• Bell mandated rental Cellpipe modem spontaneously rebooting due to firmware bug - took 6 months for Bell to address and resolve
• Upgrade from 25/10 to 50/10 - two weeks to clear up
• Bell mandated Sagemcom modem won't do a true bridge mode and is limited to 35Mbps downstream - Bell is forcing the rental of this POS with the 50Mbps service
• Bell mandated Sagemcom modem goes into a pseudo online state where it is online but doesn't actually function - I'm told is resolved with power cycling - hardly reliable

Since the Cellpipe issue was severely impacting my consulting work (I work from a home office every day conference calls dropped, connections dropped), I went out and purchased a ZyXEL P-870 VDSL modem and having been using that since January 2012.

Note: I have been forced to pay $8/month to rent crap, buggy, locked, defective modems - this issue still hasn't been addressed - either deliver working, reliable hardware, or let me use my own (without taking $8/month from me).

Anyhow,TSI has been great - Bell, lobbyists, & the CRTC, not so much.

TSI Danielle
join:2012-05-31

Re: April 12, 2013 Service Review

Hi Kev,

Thanks for the update on your review. I can totally understand your frustration with the modem rental issue. We are working on getting that mandatory rental removed as part of the service, but we don't have a timeline yet on that. Just know we are working on it.

I'm glad that the service with us has been good and consistent on our side. I apologize for the difficulties along the way when dealing with vendor issues. We'd definitely like things to go more smoothly.

Again, thank you for keeping your review updated. We appreciate knowing when things are going well and when they're not.

Danielle
TSI Danielle
Social Media Relations
Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Review by heyyahblah See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Excellent service, knowledgeable support staff, installed on time, great price, good reliability"
Overall "Greatest ISP for xDSL Services - Cable not so reliable. (Don't recommend) But I would recommend xDSL 100%"

Hey,

Well, I have been a member on DSL REPORTS for a long time now, and I figured I owe it to leave a review about my experiences with Teksavvy ISP.

I was first made aware of Teksavvy ISP in 2008 from a friend that was currently using their ADSL services. At that time I was a Rogers cable customer since 2000 for internet, and service was always fine and reliable with them. But what made ROGERS lose my business was what they pulled in 2008. I was on a 7/512k package, Rogers decided to increase my internet price & modem rental fee and cap my internet at 60GB. I heard that Teksavvy was offering 5/800 ADSL service with a 200GB cap (I can't remember now) for $17 less/month then my current cable internet service at that time. So I said to myself "hey I'll give it a try" ... and thus the TSI story begins.

Early 2009: Called & ordered Teksavvy ADSL 5/800 service. I notified TSI that I already had a DSL modem (ST516) as per recommendation by TSI and DSL REPORTS users, and micro-filters. I was given the information on the activation date and instructions on how to use & configure the modem and how to install the micro-filters to separate my wet-loop phone from the ADSL signal to not get interference. I was told about the required visit of a BELL technician and when to be home. Date of install, BELL called notified me that the service was activated at the remote and I was ready to use DSL. I believe this was beginning of February 2009. I still kept my Rogers connection active as a backup in case the DSL would not work properly at my residence.

Skip ahead to March-April 2009: Service was working great for a few weeks, until I started to notice some speed slowdowns. This was when my first call to Teksavvy support was made in 2009. I had a great tech that helped me troubleshoot everything. The computer, the modem, testing all the jacks, even testing at the demarcation point and nothing. Problem wasn't able to be fixed. So he recommended opening a ticket with BELL, informed me they might charge $90 if they find nothing wrong, and gave me a 2 day estimate for when the BELL TECH should show up. I said, hell I'll take the risk because it doesn't seem like its a problem with my hardware or lines.

Day of ticket: BELL comes (as scheduled), tested my demarc outside and inside the house and all was OK. The tech went to the remote & noticed there was noise/errors at the port. Basically he said the port that I was plugged into at the remote was faulty. He swapped me to another port, re-activated my DSL service on the new port and took off, all was well. So it was a BELL issue and Teksavvy managed to fix that for me. Great first time support by their staff, I was very impressed with their knowledge and that the support was local (Ontario) and in the same country (Canada) with English speaking representatives. None of this out sourcing crap. Great job TSI staff. Also, after the port switch the BELL tech placed me on a 6016/800 (business) profile, so I was getting my full 5mbps ... yay ... I was one of the lucky ones, lol.

So then I cancelled Rogers and from 2009 - 2012, I enjoyed the ADSL 6/800k service I was receiving from Teksavvy. The up-time was fantastic, and the only time the service went down was when BELL was doing maintenance on their lines, then it would effect all DSL customers. When Teksavvy had to do maintenance they would send out a mass email days in advance and let users know of service interruptions. Best part was that TSI would usually be doing the maintenance during the late night hours when everyone was sleeping as to not effect a majority of users that need to be online. A very good job there. Very professional service.

2012: Finally in 2012, after much fighting with CRTC & UBB & BELL, etc ... Teksavvy was finally able to offer ADSL2+ tiers. Time for an upgrade ... finally. To shove UBB & CAPS down bibic's throat. TSI Rocky also decided to bump everyone's data cap to 300GB/month. A very kind gesture to all the Teksavvy users. If Rocky had enough bandwidth to share to everyone being an IISP, then there was no reason for BIG 3 to enforce data caps & insane prices on all users. But hey, Canadian monopoly internet, what can you do.

So, a few new packages were being offered in 2012 and I decided to upgrade to 12/1 ADSL2+ from my current 6/800k ADSL service. I called Teksavvy, placed my upgrade order to 12/1 300GB cap. I was told I had to pay an activation fee (a bs charge from BELL) and I would get a visit from BELL & Indy TELCO guy. Well day of install, setup went grand. BELL called as usual on time, and said my service was activated. TELCO guy ... (no clue who he was) ... I guess he was for a pots splitter or something but he never came. (Just giving full details here, sorry). Nothing bad happened, my service was upgraded & activated and I continued using micro-filters on my lines just as I did before. I had to change nothing. Service was up and running smooth.

Now, here comes the funny part. So BELL at this point, I guess was being bitter now that Indy ISP's had access to new tiers at better prices. When I was activated on the 12/1 ADSL2+ service, BELL ... actually pathetically put me on a 12/1 profile. Meaning with the %DSL overhead loss I was only getting 9.5M/800k ... lol. Wow talk about low balers at BELL. Really sad to do this to indy ISP's.

I called Teksavvy support and explained to them the situation. The Teksavvy tech at the time said that my line stats looked great. I had an up to rating of 20mbps sync on my ADSL2+ line and yes it indeed was a shame that BELL did that low blow with the profile settings. They told me there is nothing Teksavvy can do because BELL controls the profile settings and that it was a real shame that they did that. Well, I was not going to have it!! I asked the tech nicely to put in a request to BELL to bump my profile so I could achieve full 12M as promised. He said he would send in the request but told me BELL has the right to refuse/reject and not to bump it up, considering that DSL is an up-to service. LOL. Shame on BELL.

Teksavvy support, being as great as they are ... worked some of their magic and BELL re-synced my profile to 14/1 ... so that after the %DSL overhead loss I was getting full 12M/1 speeds. Great job Teksavvy! I was proud that they were able to do this for me and bump up my internet service to get what I was paying for. I was really pleased.

Six months later from 2012 install date: Some crtc changes and updates and such. Teksavvy was able to offer lower prices for their xDSL services and more speed. My 12/1 package went from $41.99/month to $32.99 a month ($10 less) and a free speed increase to 15/1 speeds ... 3 megs more. Speed increase and savings, really impressed at Teksavvy. I also believe at this point they started offering unlimited downloads between 2am-8am. That was great of them to offer as well. Fantastic.

October 2014: Well after enjoying years of 15/1 ADSL2+ service with a great price and cap I decided I wanted higher speeds and called in to Teksavvy and asked to upgrade my 15/1 300GB service to 50/10 VDSL2 service.

The rep on the phone explained everything to me. I was explained that I would need to purchase a VDSL2 modem, recommended from Teksavvy, which I agreed to. I also was informed of a $50 activation fee on part of Bell's behalf and the price for 1 month of service. I was also informed that I would be credited back for any overlapping service from my old tier to my new tier. I was also given 2 install dates for a BELL technician to show up, as Teksavvy makes the request and BELL decides when they will send the tech. Everything was explained to me properly and all the information about accounting, tech requests, show up dates, bill payments were sent to me via email. I received all information of when to be home, explanation of invoices and so forth. Very professionally done and I understood everything.

If anyone complains about not being properly informed during an install procedure, then I'm sorry you must be feeble minded because the information/explanations I received to my inbox was great. Everything was properly explained over the phone and in the emails sent to me.

Day of install:

November 10, 2014: Bell technician calls and shows up on time as promised. He makes the appropriate changes at my DSLAM/remote and requests access into my home/basement to the bell panel. I let him in and he installs the POTS splitter and splits my wet-loop and puts my VDSL signal on my 2nd pair, thus removing the need for the micro-filters. He asked me if I wanted to leave the modem their in the basement and I said no I would like the jack on the 2nd floor wired please. Since I had a wet-loop/fax in that room I purchased a RJ-11 dual face-plate jack for the wall. The tech came up and brought my VDSL signal into the room and tested for signal. He then bumped my profile to 50/10, plugged in my TSI modem we checked for internet, verified speed and he left. He also showed me how to wire the dual rj-11 jack so I could get wet-loop/fax and VDSL in my office, which was nice of him so I wired my jack, labeled it and boom good to go. After he left I got a confirmation email from Teksavvy stating that a technician had visited my home and completed the installation and my service was good to go. If any problems to contact them. Great job Teksavvy. Service was up and running.

But, as per usual with Bell's laziness my VDSL profile was set to 50/7. I was told by the BELL TECH that due to distance and old copper lines/noise that 50/7 is the best I would get. Which, wasn't a problem for me as I was happy for full d/l speed service and everything running smoothly.

Here is where it gets even better ... On a totally unrelated matter, I was asking questions about wifi and routers on the Teksavvy support/direct forum. Since the review here says not to mention staff names without permission, I will just go about and say that on a totally unrelated matter, TSI support staff members took a look at my line stats and it showed them that my upload RCO signal was only at 64%. Which, was explained to me that I was able to qualify for the full 50/10 service. Hmm ... doesn't that sound again like BELL being lazy to Indy ISP's?? I think so. So .... without me even asking, TSI Staff bumped my profile to a full 50/10 profile service, and explained that the line stats looked great on their end, and to just keep an eye on sync issues, but I shouldn't have any as my upload RCO was at 85% on the 10M ul profile.

So since then, I have been enjoying my 50/10 VDSL service ... with consistent up-time (1 month now) and very low latency 6~7ms on speedtests, and great low ping with near to no jitter (2~4ms) depending on servers. The latency has been really great. I am very satisfied with their service and with my connection.

Come February 2015 ... I will be a 6 year member on TSI internet services, and I have to say aside from scheduled maintenance either by BELL (random without notification) or by Teksavvy (with advanced noticed to customers and minimal downtime) I have been overall pleased with the up-time of my internet connection and the support service staff that try and help troubleshoot issues when they arise. For the most part in the last 6 years I have yet to experience a line issue (knock on wood). Any problems I had with slow speeds (3 separate occasions) over the last 6 years have been the direct result of BELL maintenance problems. Once for faulty port connection and the other 2 were for widespread line/server/dslam/routing issues that were beyond the control of TSI. Otherwise the internet has been stable and behaves like it should.

Thus far I have been really satisfied with TSI support and services offered and support from users on this forum, they also are a big help and deserve credit as well, thank you. GREAT JOB TSI!! KEEP IT UP!!

SIDE NOTE:

Also I would also like to apologize by putting in the (Bottom line) about TSI CABLE not being reliable, even though this is a DSL review, but I have a friend (who wants to remain anonymous on here) that lives a block away from me (who is on the same POI as my neighbour on ROGERS) and I recommended him TSI CABLE, since he wanted out of the Rogers loop. Well his constant problematic service has been driving him to the point of insanity, leaving him with no option but to either try VDSL with a dryloop from TSI or unfortunately give up and go back to Rogers. Sorry TSI, he complains to me all the time about it and I had to share.

===================================================

Hardware used over the years:

ADSL & ADSL2+

router: WRT1900AC

All the best,

-blah

member for 5.8 years, 251 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Alan

Thanks For Your Review

Hi blah,

Thank you for your thoughtful and insightful review. It is greatly appreciated!

It is long-term dedicated customers like you that inspire us to do our best each day.

Sorry to hear your friend has had issues with his cable connection. Based on your positive experiences with DSL over the years, he may want to consider changing platforms. We would be happy to help him with that!

Have a great day.

Review by TypeS See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Faster & better than Bell, cheaper, excellent technical and frontline staff"
Bad "Reliance on Bell for installation and first mile repair, takes longer for repairs"
Overall "Save money and no pulling out hairs to talk to someone at the company"

·TekSavvy Cable
I originally became a TekSavvy customer on a DSL 5/6Mbps package in 2009 before they became a TPIA a few year later. After a slight delay caused by activation of my POTS # with them as well, I had that DSL for 3 years without any hiccups. Can't remember any long outages. Experienced some weird drops but was typically great talking to their technical support back then. There was no install fee and I paid something like $32 after taxes for unlimited.

In 2012 I got TPIA cable (28MB/s then 45MB/s, my review is here: »/comment/86729) since the move fee of $65 was the same as the TPIA install fee. My TPIA connection is now with Start Communications because of the x/10Mbps packages they had in 2013 that no one else did.

I now have a 15/1 FTTN connection as second connection/backup since everything on my home relies on the internet now (VoIP, streaming boxes, online gaming, etc). TSI Andre helped me get the order, paid for the installation and first month with an agent on the phone. Easy enough

A week later, Bell tech shows up around 10AM for my 8AM-12PM installation. He was polite and took the time to do all the work necessary. Spent about 10 minutes at the Bell demarcation point outside. My condo has a really old Nortel NID but turned out it didn't need replacing. After that he installed a POTS splitter in at cabling panel in the basement and then asked where I wanted the modem. I had a unterminated jack that he wired up and screwed a plate on. My TD-8818 modem from the DSL 5/6 days was dead, so he took the time to show me on his testing tool that I got 17/1 sync and good ping back to Bell's IP network. All in all about 25 ~ 30 minutes and it was all done.

Purchased a D-Link DSL-520B on the way to work the same day, plugged it in over the weekend, authenticated and have been getting full speeds ever since. Have it for about 7 weeks now and it has not dropped sync or authentication. As stable a service as I remember from a few years ago.

The $50 install does sting and 4 hour install windows that straddle my full time job aren't that great but once installed, it's a great service.

With growth, I would say TSI's only shortcoming is not having consistently awesome technical. Years ago, would always get someone confident and competent. From the last few months that I had TPIA cable, it felt a lot more like newer staff were just reading scrips or relying heavily on some form of standard troubleshooting. As network/sys admin, I understand the need for logical troubleshooting but it often feels as some technical staff are crutching on it and don't fully understand the testing they're asking. But that's probably to be expected, technologically incline people will not line up to work an entry level job as front line phone agent. Just hard as someone who remembers the earlier years of TSI to not make the comparison.

But their DSL Reports team definitely makes up for it. As someone who has back up internet connection from either another provider or an LTE hotspot, I have no trouble reaching out on the their Direct Support forum (»TekSavvy Direct) for assistance. I find the experience a lot better than calling their support line. So props to TSI Martin, Andre, Elizabeth, ShawnS, Jhn, etc.

Overall, I am still pleased with TekSavvy as a company and still recommend them (along with Start) to friends and family that ask. My only suggestion is that they adopt optional renting of modems.

member for 2 years, 1109 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
join:2008-06-03

Thanks!

Thanks for updating your review and for your continued support and contribution to this forum!

Cheers,

Andre

Review by Phibian See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Excellent customer service, cutting edge services (MLPPP), reasonable prices"
Overall "Best ISP I've found so far"

Upgrading to a dual (MLPPP) 25/10 DSL connection. Lots of time on the phone getting it all sorted out but that was mainly because of the complexity of my setup. No issues upgrading lines so far and wow is 25/10 fast! Combined I'm getting 50/20. Also worth noting that TSI support was so friendly it was amazing. Also they've now dropped the price more than once and increased the caps and speed!

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

Re: Review

Hello Phibian,

Thank you for your review!

Upgrading to a dual (MLPPP) 25/10 DSL connection is a big feat . A lot of preparation is involved. It is all worth while knowing that you will get a 50/20 connection in the end. If you have any questions or require assistance please feel free to either post in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum or call an agent at 1-877-779-1575.

Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON

Router hardware

What router hardware are you using, out of curiosity?

Phibian

join:2009-06-01
Ottawa, ON

Re: Router hardware

1U intel box running Debian Linux.

Review by hoople See Profile

• Location: St Thomas,ON
Good "Value."
Bad " "
Overall "S'good."

Another year: no connection problems, IPv6 is solid, service price is the same.

member for 1.4 years, 67 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

review

Hello Hoople,

Thank you for the TekSavvy review! I am very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your service.
I do apologize for the mix up when submitting an upgrade for you, however am very happy we were able to correct this quickly for you. I am happy you are receiving consistent speeds, if you would like to see if we can increase your speeds a little closer to the 15 mbps connection please send us a message in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We would be more than happy to investigate this a little further for you.

Thank you again for this great review.
TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.

Review by ed_scott0013 See Profile

• Location: Kanata,ON
Good "Stable service, good support, and excellent value!"
Bad "Can be frustrating when the connection goes down."
Overall "Definitely worth a look; A great alternative to the larger providers."

Before I begin, I'm going to give you some background on my DSL/Telephone services:

In 2008, I had Bell High-Speed Internet (5/1) as well as Bell Home Phone (basic, no frills phone). As soon as I could, I dropped the Bell High Speed (check out my other review for the details) and switched to TekSavvy DSL (also 5/1). But due to contracts, and house moves, etc. I was using the standard home phone service for the next 5 years. No complaints about that, other than the price (no value for money, costs steadily climbing, etc.)

All in all, the price was about $90 per month for the two ($40 for TekSavvy DSL and $50 for Bell basic home phone, taxes included).

Now, I'm paying $62 monthly for TekSavvy DSL 15/1 + TekTalk Unlimited, which gives me many more features for the money. Honestly, I was pretty giddy when I saw the options I had access to when I logged into the TekTalk portal. Custom rules for call forwarding/blocking? Voice mail messages listenable online? Unlimited long distance in North America? All awesome!

Anyways, since the focus of this review is supposed to be the DSL, I'll get right on it: It's amazing when it works, but can be frustrating when it doesn't.

When everything is working as intended, it's pretty much unicorns and rainbows all the way down: It's a solid 15 Mbps download (with approx. 700 kbps upload). Gaming is snappy, no lags when chatting with my friends, and huge patches (GB sized patches) and games from Steam (multi-GB sized games) can max out the connection with little issue.

In my experience with TekSavvy, I've had three occurrences of bad DSL service: the first one was when for some reason, my house was connected to the wrong DSLAM (is that even possible?) but after some quick troubleshooting by the great folks on the TekSavvy Direct Forum here on DSLReports, a Bell tech came out and fixed me up.

The second occurrence was when I got switched over to TekTalk, but that wasn't their fault at all... I was too impatient and didn't wait for the analog telephone adapter to do its magic before trying to use the phone. Even though it was my issue, the TekSavvy techs on the phone were super helpful.

As a side note: my transition from TekSavvy DSL 6/1 + Bell Landline to TekSavvy DSL 15/1 + TekTalk Unlimited VOIP was as seamless as it could be. Number ported over without incident, dry loop set up, everything working as intended... after I let the ATA do its thing, of course.

The third occurrence was recently, when my previously solid 15/1 service became more like a 6/1 service with frequent disconnects. Another round of diagnostics with the TS Direct Forum guys, another Bell technician, and I'm back in the game again.

All these issues aside, these guys are willing to work with you to get your problems solved. To me, that's important. If you want a good (who am I kidding... great!) DSL provider, TekSavvy is a solid choice.

Tech details:
- DSL Modem: D-Link DSL-520B (purchased from Canada Computers)
- DSL Modem (Retired): Thomson Speedtouch ST516 (purchased from TekSavvy). Has some issues with overheating, but it still works. I keep it around as a backup when diagnosing issues. It has also been modified with a copper heatsink on the Broadcom chip, and lots of holes drilled into the plastic case.
- Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA): Grandstream HT502 (purchased from TekSavvy with TekTalk VOIP)
- Router: D-Link DIR-625 (purchased from FutureShop)

Random notes:
- When calling in to TekSavvy support, the "call back" option is great. That way I'm not draining the battery on my cell phone while I'm on hold.
- If you're able, the TekSavvy Direct Forum is the go-to place to get your issues solved. I much prefer that to calling. The only downside is that the overall time taken to resolve the issue is longer, but for me that is not a huge deal (luckily I have Internet access from work/friends).
- Even though they are relying on Bell for their techs and lines and such, I'm very pleased with the service turnaround times and overall performance.
- During my time with TekSavvy, my DSL service costs actually went DOWN (from $34.99 to $32.99) while my performance went UP (6/1 to 15/1 and 200 GB transfer to 300 GB transfer). Gotta love that.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Ed_Scott0013,

Thank you very much for this great review. I am very pleased to see you have had minimal issue with your service and you’re receiving consistent speeds. I am also very delighted to hear your DSL upgrade and number port to TekTalk went seamlessly. I do apologize for any issue you have had with the service however am happy we were able to resolve these quite quickly for you.

Please continue to keep us updated on your service and if you have any further questions please message us in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct .

Thanks again for this review
TSI-ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.

Review by stevens123 See Profile

• Location: Braeside,ON
Good "Relitively quick install, Has been rock solid since install"
Bad "Nothing so far"
Overall "Great service for a great price"

We ordered the 15/1 package on a dryloop (+5 dollars a month) and from ordering to install it took 7 days for everything to be completed. Had Bell before but they decided not to honour our deal and raise our rates to $64+ tax a month on 5/.08?! quoting our area cant get faster then 5/.8 (even though we test at 16/1.1 on teksavvy dsl). So far it has been rock solid and have no complaints, definitely would recommend to friends.

member for 1 year, 168 visits, last login: 1 days ago

Comments:

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
join:2008-06-03

Outstanding!

Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to review your experience. We certainly appreciate it. Welcome to the family and enjoy the many years of savings and great customer service.

If you need us, you know where to find us

Cheers,

Andre

Review by MarkBogus See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Tech Support was great"
Bad "Installation dates changed without notice, modem not configured correctly"
Overall "A few bumps in the installation, but well worth the switch"

I switched to Teksavvy from another independent ISP who could not (or would not) upgrade my 6Mbps ADSL connection. The order process went smoothly, and I received my new modem (Zyxel VSG 1432) very quickly. However my installation date was moved back twice and I was not notified; the way I found out was to post a message asking for confirmation of the install date on the Teksavvy Direct Support forum. I was also told that I had to be home for the installation (remember that I already had DSL service). This turned out to be incorrect because Telus did the install and activation remotely.

As it turned out, Telus did something wrong because I had no DSL connection. After running through the usual checklist, Teksavvy Tech Support submitted a ticket to Telus, and the problem was resolved in less than 24 hours (at no extra cost to me of course, since the problem was on the Telus side).

I had a DSL connection, but no internet access. So I contacted Teksavvy Tech Support via telephone, and we determined that my modem was not configured properly; it was set up for ADSL service when in fact I am on VDSL2 service. So we set up a new WAN Interface file and that fixed the problem. Tech Support was knowledgeable, patient, and persistent. I have nothing but good things to say about my interactions with them.

The connection is fast and stable: I am on the 25/2 DSL plan and I get 24.6 down and 2.8 up consistently.

»speedtest.net/result/2374894276.png

Overall, I am very happy with my Teksavvy experience thus far.

Updates to follow

December 24, 2012 Update

I started a Line Monitoring session on December 17, and received my first weekly report today:

Outage report as seen by new jersey USA ny-monitor.dslreports.com
--------------------------------------
UP 2012-12-17 04:03:39 - 2012-12-24 03:33:35 (1004 samples)
** Your IP had 100% reachability during the period!

Outage report as seen by san francisco USA 64.81.79.40
--------------------------------------
UP 2012-12-17 04:04:05 - 2012-12-24 03:33:35 (1003 samples)
** Your IP had 100% reachability during the period!

In fact the only issues I have had with my connection have been when I was monkeying with my router settings and had to reboot. Speed is consistently 24.6 down and 2.8 up.

January 16, 2013

One month on and very happy with with the DSL service. The Zyxel modem is rock solid reliable and the connection is stable and always up. I have learned that I cannot let TCP max out my upload bandwidth lest my download speed suffer, but hey, that is the nature of TCP.

March 30, 2014

The ZyXel VSG1432 modem suddenly failed on March 19, 2014, after 15 months. The failure mode was no PPPoE login in either router or bridge mode, and therefore no internet. After a couple of wrong turns with Tech Support, and escalating to Telus (remote line and DSL diagnosis) we determined that the modem was the problem.
I ordered a replacement, which arrived in 5 business days, and was back up and reconnected in about 10 minutes. Total down time was 10 days, which is not bad, considering my work schedule, Telus involvement, and the purchase/shipping of a replacement modem from Chatham to Alberta. Yes, it was inconvenient and frustrating, but I felt that Tech Support was always ready to help.

October 30, 2014

The 2nd ZyXel VSG 1432 Modem failed suddenly on July 15, 2014 after 4 months. Same failure mode as above. Teksavvy replaced it with no hassles and no cost to me and I was back up and running again in a few days. No issues with Teksavvy support, but I am really concerned about these modems. Mine is in a well ventilated room plugged into a line filtered UPS so there are no power issues. I might order another one just to have a spare.....

The Telus speed upgrade went through, so my throughput is a very consistent 25.1/4.7 now. I have no complaints about the line speed or availability. Overall: still satisfied.

Comments:

JonF
Chatham, ON

"A few bumps in the installation, but well worth the switch"

Hello,

I'm happy to hear that everything is now working for you. I do apologize for the delay in your activation. If you require any further assistance, you can contact us in the direct forum (as you know), as we are always happy to help!

Have a great day!
rkaushik

join:2002-03-31
Tallahassee, FL

get service directly with Bell

Would not recommend teksavvy phone or internet service in the GTA. In GTA they lease Bell lines. Any install or service order has to go to Bell. If you ever have an issue, Bell will make sure that they provide the worst service possible to teksavvy customers. In the end the customer ends up getting screwed while it may not be teksavvy's fault.
My recent example: Phone line was down. Teksavvy filed repair ticket with Bell. Bell did some remote testing and determined that everything was ok without coming to my home to check if there was a dial tone outside my home. Bell closed the ticket. I called teksavvy back and they called Bell again. Bell argued but finally agreed to sent tech out. Bell tech determined that my telephone line had been disconnected at the neighborhood network box! I was asked to be home for a 5 hour window both times that Bell tech was supposed to come out.
In total I had service outage for 5 days for no fault of Teksavvy.
Lesson learned- however bad Bell is I would much rather have service directly with Bell. Bell now offers no contract service (internet and phone) like teksavvy and prices very competitively.
So why would you go through teksavvy and not directly to Bell? I had teksavvy for a long time because I disliked Bell but in the end what matters is my service uptime and not getting the run around. Interesting when I switched to Bell I was offered multiple installation windows for 3 hours and the tech called me before he showed up.
LanAdmin

join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC
·ELECTRONICBOX

said by rkaushik:

Would not recommend teksavvy phone or internet service in the GTA.

That can happen event if you are with Bell. My neighbor who is directly with Bell had intermittent phone service for over a week before Bell finally solved the problem.

Personally I would never go with Bell again.
rkaushik

join:2002-03-31
Tallahassee, FL

Re: get service directly with Bell

Unfortunately we are stuck with bell owning the lines. If it took bell that long then it would have taken longer via teksavvy and a lot more pain for the consumer via long and inflexible appointment windows, teuchs not calling ahead, brokering everything via teksavvy, etc.
LanAdmin

join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC
·ELECTRONICBOX

said by rkaushik:

Not sure

Hello MarkBogus,

Thank you for the updated review. I am happy to hear you are still enjoying the service. I regret to hear there was an issue with your modem, I am however thrilled to see we were able to send you a new modem and get you back on line.

Thank you again for the updated review. If you have any issues or questions we can always be reached through the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

Tsi-ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team

TSI Keith
join:2012-07-09

Your recent update

Hello Mark,

Thank you for the update here, it is sincerely appreciated as we always love feedback from our customers. I'm glad to hear you are still satisfied with the service though sorry to hear you have had repeat issues with these modems.

I can ensure you though that this is not an issue that we commonly see with these. It never hurts to have a spare modem laying around for troubleshooting purposes and the like, but you definitely shouldn't need to invest in a backup expecting another failure.

Keith
TSI Keith Online Services Account Manager - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Review by tahukipas See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Package priced attractively, sign up process was a breeze"
Bad "Terrible system for coordinating the install, no accountability, unstable connection"
Overall "It's a hit and miss as you're basically at the mercy of their vendors to get anything done"

·TELUS
Signed up at Aug 4 for the 15/1 DSL internet and got the Aug 14 installation date. During sign up call, the rep didn't mention that the date was tentative and subject to confirmation from vendor (presumably Bell in this case). Since then, I only got a couple of emails stating they're experiencing a delay with the vendor and couldn't tell me when the install will take place. As I'm posting this, the 1st installation timeslot has passed and I've yet to hear back on this or if the tech will come on a new date. There wasn't even a formal communication stating that the 1st installation timeslot won't be happening.

Teksavvy's reps in the direct forum were responsive to my questions, but ultimately they weren't able to move this forward. The general message I've got so far from the reps are that Teksavvy doesn't have any control over the vendor and can't do anything when issues like this arise. This is disconcerting for me because as an end user, I'm paying Teksavvy and would expect to get service in return. I expect Teksavvy to do what needs to be done and coordinate with all involved parties (including their vendors) to deliver on their commitment. Unfortunately, this is where they fail in this case.

[8/17 Update] I have received a confirmation email from Teksavvy that the vendor has confirmed an installation date at Tuesday, Aug 19. I will provide another update once the installation is done. Many thanks to all parties involved in expediting this and I'm hoping everything goes smoothly on the d-day.

[8/19 Update] Bell technician came in as scheduled. Took approximately 2 hours to complete the installation. Speedtest shows a 14.3 mbps download and 0.78 mbps upload which I figure is close enough to the 15/1 maximum. Tested streaming youtube in HD which went smoothly as expected. Overall, I'm happy with the speed. Will monitor for the next few days if the performance is consistent.

Speedtest result in here: »www.speedtest.net/my-result/3699943590

[10/18] I'm deducting one point for connection reliability because for the past 2 weeks, my connection has randomly disconnects. Sometimes the issue is gone right away (restart modem and connection comes back), but there have been a few occasions where DSL keeps dropping after getting connected for 2-3 mins.

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

RE:Review

Hello tahukipas,

We apologize that our agent did not make themselves clear that the requested activation dates are tentative pending vendor confirmation.

We are experiencing some delays with our DSL vendor with regards to acknowledgement of orders.. We are working with our vendor to get the earliest dispatch date available. We will deliver on our commitment and activate your service as soon as our vendor confirms a dispatch date for us.

Thanks again for your continued patience.
I see that you have already posted in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum. We will continue to work with you there.

Warm regards.
Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

TSI Kris
join:2013-11-18

Review Update

Hi tahukipas!

Huzzah! Glad to hear you finally got a confirmation. Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Thanks,

TSI Kris

review

Hello Tahukipas,

Thank you for the updated review. I do regret to see that you are having a connection issue. We would be more than happy to assist you with diagnosing the issue and finding a solution. Please send us a message in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct so we can assist you further.

Ashleigh