TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by Paul1298 See Profile

• Location: Oshawa,ON
Good "Rock solid service."
Bad "calling can be a real pain"
Overall "Best bang for the buck. On-line support is second to none."

Well it's been 3 years now so I will finally post a review on TekSavvy's DSL.

First off, I do not have a home phone or cable television service so I have a dry-loop for DSL ($5 a month for the dry-loop, or "free" if I had active phone service from Bell). The dry-loop was installed while I was at work by bell (had a family member who's retired, wait for the bell tech who came on-time, and didn't even step foot into my house.) After the dry-loop was installed, a member of teksavvy or a contractor on their behalf came-by a couple hours later (I was home for that) to set up the phone jack wiring and set-up my modem. There were some issues with that (PPPOE log in errors) But he was able to connect to the network with his modem and left after that with out me being able to log-in, and I was fine with that as I was sure it was an issues with log-in info. Turns out my password was incorrect but a quick call into TekSapport fixed that. Had rock solid service for a year or so.

Had an issue with speeds, when it dropped from 15mbit to 6mbit at random one day so I called in, and was asked if I would be okay with them sending out a bell tech to check my lines and if there was nothing wrong that I would have to pay $90 or something like that. I was very, very against that to the point of canceling... But I found dslreports.com and then found the tek direct forum, posted my issue, got a reply within an hour, and it was fixed. May upgrade to a higher speed tier, initial cost of new modem and speed change charge is all that is holding me back.

TL;DR

Great service. Use direct forum for any issues.

member for 1.3 years, 105 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

RE:Review

Hello Paul1298,

Thank you for your kind review!

I'm glad to read that your install went great and that you've had rock solid service for a little over a year!

With DSL, any repair ticket that we open requires agreement to the diagnostic maintenance charge. Our vendor will test up to the demarcation point. If the problem is determined to be internal wiring or equipment, you would be charged this fee. We do our best to troubleshoot everything in order to rule out internal wiring as much as possible. This doesn't guarantee that our vendor will not charge the fee however, this would only decrease the chances.

I hope that this explains the fee.

Feel free to send us a message in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum should you encounter any other issues.

Shawn S

Review by HiVolt See Profile

• Location: Toronto, ON
Good "Honesty, great DSLR tech presence, Cable or DSL solutions, MLPPP support"
Bad "none for me at this time"
Overall "Great deals for either cable or dsl"

·TekSavvy Cable
Update July 25/2014
----------------------------
No problems to report, my VDSL is running smoothly with the SmartRG modem i got last year prior to TSI offering them. I did reflash it with TSI firmware/config 6 months ago and its working just fine.

Update Dec 10/2013
----------------------------
Today marks my 6 years with TekSavvy, and I hope for many more! No problems service wise, and I always appreciate the honesty from Marc & the team on the forums!

Update Sept 26/2013
----------------------------
Finally Bell dropped the requirement to rent or purchase the Cellpipe or Sagemcom modems as of this month. After inquiring in the direct forum on how to proceed, I returned my rental Cellpipe to TekSavvy and my $8/month modem rental has been removed! I am happily using my own modem (Zhone 6652-A2) since April, 100% stable.

Update June 3/2013
----------------------------
No major issues with the service, only the fact that I've had to resort to finding my own modem that doesn't disconnect me or have other issues... Both the Cellpipe and Sagemcom have flaws in both stability and speed if you're on 50meg and use your own router. Sad part is, I am still forced to pay $8/month for the modem rental to Bell, for a Cellpipe modem that I don't use and that is obsolete in support and features, and there doesn't appear to be an end in sight. Not TSI's fault, there is some proceeding at the CRTC with regard to the VDSL modem certification, but they keep stalling and stalling, and nobody but Bell is able to source a modem that is compatible with the Stinger remotes...

Good thing is that prices went down a few months ago after the CRTC reduced Bell's capacity rates.

Oh, and the congestion to my remote was fixed maybe 6 months ago or more now, they added a second gig-e link to it. No problems with evening speeds now.

Update July 23/2012
------------------------------
Bell released the Cellpipe firmware fix today to the public. Firmware version is 1.0.4.4R8-wh. Some users were already on a beta test of it and it appears to fix the rebooting issue. I've switched mine to the Cellpipe from the Sagemcom, it fetched the ugprade and we'll see how it'll be over the next few weeks. Still congested in evening. That hasn't changed.

Update May 30/2012
------------------------------
I forgot to post an update since I've upgraded to 25mbps VDSL, during the March "free activation" promo. Installation of that went ok, though the tech that was supposed to install the POTS splitter came so late (almost at 9pm) and I told him to just give me the splitter and I installed it myself. But the fun issues started afterwards... FIrst, Bell sends the shitty Cellpipe modems for wholesale VDSL service, which either aren't proper firmware for Stinger remotes, or they have bad firmware bug that makes it reboot several times a day. These issues have been known for 6 months now, and still no official fix. I have managed to get my hands on a Bell Sagemcom modem, which is entirely stable. Modem issues aside, I also experience evening congestion, due to the remote on the street only having a single GigE feed, instead of two which most of them have. It's not THAT bad, drops to about 15-18mbps on heavy days when more people are watching FibeTV, which I suspect has priority over internet. I guess they'll upgrade it some day.

Update Feb 20/2012
-----------------------------
Well, my first ever billing issue with TSI was when the February invoice came in. I was charged a $5 account change fee TWICE, for switching from Unlimited to 300GB package in January. They said that they would be waiving those charges only after Feb 2nd (when the new prices took effect), but not for those who changed in January, when the emails were sent out informing of the changes taking place starting February. They refused to credit the fee over the phone, and failed to notice that the fee was charged twice. I did get the fees eventually credited after posting about it in the forums. They handled this very poorly, as well as other announcements with regard to the Feb 2 changes in other plans.

Update Jan 25/2012
----------------------------
As of Feb 2/2012 the rates are going up thanks to the CRTC, so I've downgraded my unlimited to the 300GB package to save a few bucks. I haven't come close to 300GB in a long time, but just kept the unlimited package out of principle. Now that it's going up $5, no thanks.

Update Dec 2/2011
----------------------------
4 years with TekSavvy DSL! Still workin' great as usual!

Update Oct 4/2011
---------------------------
No problems at all, smooth sailing as usual. Coming up on 4 years with TSI DSL.

Update Nov 23/2010
--------------------------
I've not used my TSI DSL much since getting TSI Cable back in July, but I have kept it as a backup because cable was a bit iffy for the first few months. No problems with the DSL as usual.

Update April 4/2010
----------------------------
No major problems aside from a couple brief 10 minute outages in the past week due to that sneaky bug in the Juniper ERX blades dedicated to MLPPP. Can't believe its been 2 years since BHell throttled wholesale. MLPPP has been an amazing fix!

Update December 19/2009
---------------------------------------
Didin't update for a while, but there's no issues to report all is well! Still using MLPPP to evade the throttling, going on 1.5 years now.

Update September 4/2009
-------------------------------------
No problems!

Update June 28/2009
-------------------------------
TekSavvy has added more capacity in recent months as well as dedicated hardware for MLPPP. All is well!

Update March 17/2009
--------------------------------
No issues, still receiving great service from TekSavvy.

Update December 14/2008
---------------------------------------
Well, the CRTC decision came and went, and they sold out to Bell. They are supposed to rule on the subject of Net Neutrality as a whole for all ISP's in July. I'm not holding my breath, as we know big ISP's & content providers have deep pockets.

As for my TekSavvy service, everything's been great. They've have added more capacity & redundancy in the last couple months to handle the growing demand.

Update September 21/2008
----------------------------------------
No problems to speak of, all is well. The CRTC decision will be handed down October 31, I await anxiously and hope they will strike down Bell's traffic shaping. Until then, I'm still using MLPPP.

Update July 15/2008
------------------------------
No issues, everything working fine. Still using MLPPP to evade traffic shaping, as CAIP continues to battle Bell at the CRTC. I referred my cousin two months ago, one quick email to accounting and I got my referral credit applied!

Update May 27/2008
------------------------------
Well, some good news... As of a few weeks ago there has been a nice workaround for Bell's traffic shaping. MLPPP (MultiLink PPP) is working great with the help of some Linksys WRT54G router firmware modified by two determined forum members. Other methods of using MLPPP also exist, so read the forums, there are ways around the throttling!

Update April 16/2008
------------------------------
On Apr.9 my area became affected with the throttling that Bell has imposed on its entire wholesale ISP customer base. While this is obviously out of TekSavvy's control, I feel its worth mentioning here. TekSavvy & other ISP's that are a part of CAIP (Canadian Association of Internet Providers) are currently fighting this issue by filing a formal complaint with the CRTC. I fully support TekSavvy in their fight, and props to them for sticking by their customers!

Update March 13/2008
---------------------------------
No problems, enjoying great service so far.

Update Jan 11/2008
----------------------------
It's been a month after the official switchover, and it's been smooth sailing!

Dec 10/2007
------------------
Woo, finally fully switched to Teksavvy! I've been using an unlimited login since about April '07, with very few issues.

I contacted TekSavvy mid November to schedule a switch, and provided them with a cancellation # from Sympatico. Sympatico cancellation was on Dec.9, and it was processed successfully and it looks like I've transitioned smoothly with no downtime.

I will update periodically as I have with my other ISP reviews.

member for 13.5 years, 7337 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

jhu111

@co-op.ca

Customer service agents

The internet is great, tech support is good but the customer service agents there about as dumb as sh*t. They must not have very good training, always have a problem when we call in especially when transferring services to a new location.

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
join:2008-06-03

Sweet!

Thanks for updating your review

Hello Hi-Volt,

Thank you for the updated review. I’m happy to see you are still enjoying the service with your own modem.

Please keep us posted on your TekSavvy services.

TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
Glad to hear its still smooth sailing!

Review by JMJimmy See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Best communication & honesty I've had from an ISP"
Bad "Bigger means a harder time keeping quality up"
Overall "Worth it."

Update 3:

I was able to get a SmartRG and that has resolved most all of my issues. It has some unresolved issues itself but they are relatively minor. Overall support has been excellent for DSL and I am extremely happy with my service. Andre and Marc did everything they could to try to get sync-no-surf resolved before I switched modems - to the point of getting me on beta firmware from Bhell. Way above and beyond. Cable support for my mother-in-law's account is still sub-par, unfortunately. They've got a lot of work to do to get the Cable end up to the DSL support level.

Oh, and price went down - woot!

Update 2:

New cons: Unfortunately support quality is down. I recently called in for my mother-in-law on her Cable package and was not impressed with the level of knowledge the support rep had nor her ability to communicate. My current Stinger + Sagemcom SNS issue is still ongoing after a year.

New pros: Support wait times are way down from my last update, SmartRG modems now available (though doesn't do me much good as I can't get one on my rental package and can't afford the layout for a new one), possibility of unlimited data in exchange for reduced speed during prime time.

Update:

New Cons:

Growing pains. Support wait times are way up currently but likely to come down soon. Their success has not been without issues, however, they have not sacrificed overall quality for expediency.

They've also had some issues dealing with problems I've experienced - to their credit they put one of their technical leads on the problem who worked with a Bhell Repair Manager to try and solve the issue but both were stumped. It comes down to defective slam switches + bad firmware from Bhell so I can't fault TSI too much for that.

New Pros:

Price!!! I asked for cheaper, I got cheaper! $39.99 + ~$7(dryloop fee) for 25mbps/10mbps VDSL - a 19mbps/9.2mbps increase for the same price I was paying before.

More transparent and accessible than ever. Highly recommended.

________________________________________________________________

Cons:

Few... sales wasn't as informed as I would have liked them to be about the technical end, but by far more knowledgeable than Bell's tech support so kudos.
Install takes a few days longer than it should, but again, wholesaler issue - nothing can be done for the first 3 days it seems just because of Bell's crap.

Pros:

Everything else. Intelligent tech support that actually listen if there's an issue (no canned Q&A), fast response to everything, communicative, honest, and relatively inexpensive.

I would like a better price ($39.95+$4 for MLPPP + band charges + tax) but for unlimited bandwidth and throttle bypass it's worth it. It's also $15 cheaper than my previous Bell contract which was only 2mbps faster and capped + throttled.

member for 6 years, 802 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

RE:No one better

Hello JMJimmy,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

It has been a constant battle with the wait times. We are definitely getting the wait times to come down by a large margin. We are still hiring more staff. In fact two new technical support teams have just begun their training. As soon as they complete their training we anticipate a great drop in wait times.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Cheers,

DELETED

Review by Progenator8 See Profile

• Location: Kelowna,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Unlimited, Cheaper and No Contract."
Bad "Initial fees, took a little while to get full speeds. Not able to show Usage for me."
Overall "Worth it"

For about $10-15 less a month I am getting 25 Mbps down and 6.09 Mbps upload and unlimited downloads..yes more upload than listed on the plan. I used Speedtest.net for the tests. The speeds also happen 'real world', such as when I bit torrent a Linux ISO.

The initial fees where pretty heavy in my opinion at $337 total, but now I will save money since I bought the ZyXel Modem.

When I received the modem I just followed the simple instructions and waited for the Telus Tech to come by and hook it up. The appointment was timely and quick but it did take two weeks to get the tech in...that is pretty standard for this area though. I have dealt with Teksavvy before in Barrie Ontario and always found the Tech Support good.

For the first couple of weeks the internet was slow at about 6 Mbps down and 2 up, but things seemed to have been resolved without me doing anything...I was too busy to prioritize this as important enough. Also I am not able to view my Usage through the Teksavvy Customer Portal, the page says that a problem has been encountered and to call instead for my usage. Nope.

Bottom line I am quite satisfied with the superior service/product that costs less and does not bind me into a lengthy contract.

It was a bit touchy at first but now six weeks in I am satisfied.

Comments:

TSI Jon
join:2011-08-24
canada

Hello Progenator8,

Thank you for the review! To answer your question about usage, we are still working on integrating usage into the MyAccount portal for our customers on Telus. If you do get curious, you don't need to call in if you don't want to. You can always drop us a quick message in the direct forum here on DSLr or on any of our other Social Media channels.

Thanks again and happy surfing!

Cheers,

TSI Jonathan
Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Review by rodjames See Profile

• Location: Gloucester,ON
Good "Great setup, no contracts. Tech support was great. No dealing with Bell, and the last true unmetered ISP in Canada."
Bad "None."
Overall "Buy a decent DSL modem, call in, and you'll be online in a few days. No contracts."

·loclhost.ca
I'm really happy with Teksavvy. Their service has been phenomenal since the start. Thanks, and please keep the unmetered DSL going!

Update April 2012: Still Unmetered!

Update December 2012: Speeds have been very steady, and still unmetered!

Update August 2013: I've switched to ATPIA rCable, and I'll be providing a review once I burn it in. STILL Unmetered!

Update June 2014: No longer unmetered, but I am now using Zap the Cap to provide unlimited downloads for a small reduction in prime-time speeds.

Comments:

TSI JoeC
join:2013-07-29
Chatham, ON

Thank you for your Feedback!

Thank you for the kind words! We're happy that the DSL has done you justice over time!

Once the switch over to Cable takes place, let us know how it is and if there is anything you need, please let us know!

TSI Joe

Chatham, ON

updated review

Hello Rodjames

Thank you for the updated review. Happy to hear you are still enjoying the service and using our new feature Zap the Cap. This is great to see.

If you have any further questions or concerns please let us know in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are happy to help.

Thank you again for updating us on your TekSavvy journey.

TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team

Review by oxymoron69 See Profile

• Location: Corbyville,ON
Good "Lots of gigs for cheap"
Bad "they are limited by lazy incumbent carriers"
Overall "Pretty damn good option"

·Kingston Online ..
I subscribe to Teksavvys' grandfathered 512k/512k DSL service (syncing at 1mbit/512k) with a 300GB cap & ipv6. *edit* It's now 2mbit/800k with 300gb & ipv6

the accounting department is great (never had a billing error, always quick to get referrals added to my account).

*edit* Moving is a trying affair:
given many weeks notice of moving, I've had to devote at least 2 hours/week for the past 3 weeks trying to get my service up at my new house.
At 2 days to move in, I'm not at all confident that they'll get this problem fixed in time.
setting up the move order shouldn't take hours of my time to stay on the phone trying to walk a csr through the steps required to help me.

*edit*
it took almost a month after move in(and almost 2 months from the original order) to get 2meg dsl service, while waiting i was limited to 640/512k.

sales phone support is frustrating to be nice about it. My time was wasted by these ladies. Tons of time on hold 'checking with my supervisor'...

James in the direct forum was my saviour, i was close to bailing out altogether and would've cancelled if not for him and a couple of the more useful forum techs.

I hope i never have to move teksavvy service ever again, it's retardedly hard.

*edit*
A few months after my profile increase, it dropped again after I bundled it with another 2meg line from Bell. My bundle useless, I now just use my TSI login on my cheaper, faster Bell line.

*edit*
After awhile my line lost sync, they fixe it and it runs at 2mbit, my bell line is now cooked.
Tsi also knocked the price down 15/month.

*edit*
Years after signing up, TSI begins charging for overage, the eliminated my 512k/300gig plan and created 2meg/25gigs. After some positive back and forth it was upped to 2meg/300gigs

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Oxymoron69,

Thank you for this review. I’m sorry to read there were some mishaps with your move order and tech support when calling them for troubleshooting; however I am very happy to read that James in the Direct Forum was able to assist you with fixing your connection.

Are you currently having an issue with your connection? Or is everything working as it should? If you are having an issue or if you have any questions please feel free to message us directly in the Direct Forum. We are happy to assist you.

Thanks again for this review.
TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.

Chatham, ON

updated review

Hello Oxymoron69

Thank you very much for the updated review. I am happy you are enjoying the service still and that you were able to obtain upgraded speeds and were put back on your 300 gb of bandwidth.

Thank you for the review update. If you have any further questions TekSavvy can be reached directly in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

Thanks again,
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team

Review by i_pk_pjers_i See Profile

• Location: Whitby,ON
Good "Fantastic support, 100% reliable connection, good speeds, Zap The Cap"
Bad "N/A"
Overall "One of the best TPIAs out there and in my opinion the best ISP in Ontario if not all of Canada"

On April 28th, I placed an order for Teksavvy DSL 50/10 internet with the SmartRG SR505n since I was previously a Rogers customer but I was sick of the local node congestion that I had become used to with Rogers (as many people complain about, and rightfully so) and didn't want to deal with it anymore. The install happened on May 2nd and went through without a hitch. The Bell tech that did my install was very savvy, very nice, very thorough and did a good job. Since I have gotten my connection installed, I have not had a single second of downtime, or any disconnects, or any other issues like these. Every question/concern I have had was answered within 15 minutes by Teksavvy which is quite frankly amazing. My connection speed has been rock solid 50 down 10 up the entire time and I have no complains whatsoever. Zap The Cap providing free unlimited in exchange for lowering down speed to 15 for 4 hours a day (8PM to midnight) is a great deal for both the ISP and its customers.

I cannot say enough good things about this company and about how happy I am with my internet connection.

member for 7.2 years, 127 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Keith
join:2012-07-09

Re: Your review

Hello there,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us here. We always love feedback from our customers. I'm also glad you enjoy Zap The Cap, it's a fairly new thing here and as such it's great to hear it is well received!

Should you ever have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to reach out to us in the »TekSavvy Direct forum.

And hey, Welcome to the family!!

Keith
TSI Keith Online Services Account Manager - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Review by j_a_t_h See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Fast speed, no download limites"
Bad "Had to deal with Telus"
Overall "Faster, better price, no limits"

·TELUS
Good:Easy to order, the equipment showed in 4 business days. Getting close to full speed. No Limits.

Bad: have to pay the setup fee for Telus. All Telus did was input the modem number into a hand held device. Did not need to show up to do that, it was not $95 dollars worth of install.

Internet has been down a few times but never for more then a hour. Do not know if it is Telus or Teksavvy issue. I get 24.7/1.7 out of a 25/2 line, very happy about that. I billing is good and I have not had to contact support in a year.

Comments:

TSI Support1
TSI Support
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON

Review of TekSavvy DSL (DSL)

Hey j_a_t_h,

Thanks for the review! Always happy to get positive feedback.

In regards to the activation, unfortunately we have no way to know what work needs to be completed without a tech coming out. Thankfully it was a quick appointment though!

If you ever have any questions or concerns, feel free to post in the direct forum!

Jon

Review by corkz See Profile

• Location: St Catharines,ON
Good "Price, Options, Great customer service"
Bad "None for me"
Overall "Best bang for buck for me for 25/10 service with static IP dryloop and free unlimited with zap the cap option"

·Start Communicat..
June 6 2014

Back with Teksavvy after close to a two year hiatus with Start Communications. The switch back is in no way a reflection of poor service on Start's part, they were great, but finally having the option to get on VDSL and get a static IP again led me back as I have always had an excellent experience with Teksavvy.

$48.99 for dry loop 25/10 service with static IP is considerably cheaper than what I used to pay Teksavvy for two bonded 5meg lines. It's nice to have superior service for a cheaper price. I'm on a 7330 remote and have attainable rates of 100/30. I couldn't have much more of a stable line. Everything has been great, install was smooth, and most surprising of all, the Bell tech that did the install was really pleasant and even followed up to make sure everything was good and that I was happy. Kudos to a Bell guy (can't believe I'm saying that).

Overall very happy to be back with Tek, and I hope Marc lives up to the reputation of excellence that his brother started, but from dealing with a few reps so far, I'm guessing he is. Would also like to add that zap the cap is a great idea, although not a fan of the name. Not sure if I'll need to take advantage of it, but glad that such an offering exists. I'd like to see something a little less static as an option for zap the cap as well, I hope they look into refining it in the future. Perhaps something like dedicating a block of bandwidth pooled to all zap the cap users and rate limiting based on how many people are currently active. Currently peak billing could not be affected if speeds for individual users were allowed to increase and artificially rate limiting some doesn't help anyone. I'd like to see it only come in to action when it would negatively impact Teksavvy's bottom line but a good start none the less.

Entering year 3, service and customer support are still great. UBB being past by the CRTC, who are clearly in Bell's pocket sucks, but that's the negative side of a wholesaler. TPIA access to cable networks provides new options, and the outcome of crtc decisions still under process will decide the future of this indy. Looking forward to cable access on cogeco network as an alternative in the future. Cable access promises the advantage of not having to pay dry loop fees for those of us who don't have traditional POTS service.

Big drawback at the moment is the lack of static IP's with the current cable offerings. Canada is quickly moving into the stone age and becoming irrelevant in the internet and communications scene, but Teksavvy still offers the best overall value and customer service in the Industry. Even if they end up costing slightly more for slightly less as a result of corruption in the CRTC and other political bodies, I feel confident putting my money towards a company who is employing Canadians.

Lastly, the transparency the company operates with needs to be mentioned. It is simply wonderful to deal with a company who actually tells you what is going on with the company. If an outage happens, I appreciate being told why, and what's being done to prevent this in the future. It is also nice to know that even though Teksavvy is now becoming a big company, if I send off an emal or a PM to the owner and CEO of the company it is usually responded to in person the same. I don't see myself switching to another company anytime in the near future, Teksavvy has earned my loyalty and respect and I will continue recommending them to family, friend and clients. Their commercials need some work though.

Been with TSI for over 2 years now.

My costs are higher than most, I have two Premium lines, one dry loop, static IP and /29 subnet. Considering all that is in the $84 it's a steal. No other ISP offers this kind of service. Customer Service has always been there within minutes when I've called, and my issues have been answered by English speaking representatives who are Canadian citizens employed in Canada. A big point for me. I wish there was some way to rate their Tech Support higher than 5 to stress how awesome it is, especially for the technically inclined internet user. It's a pleasure speaking to people who know what your talking about and not reading off a sheet saying "have you tried restarting your computer have you tried restarting your modem" etc. I wish Bell wasn't evil and the CRTC didn't have their heads up their asses and Bell's so that this fine example of a Canadian company could continue to move forward as the example of what a Canadian ISP should be.

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

Re: Review

Hello corkz,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate the positive feedback and are glad to have you back in the family! If you ever have any questions or concerns, we’re always here for you.

Please keep in mind ZtC is currently in Beta. I don’t believe there are any plans to change the way it functions, but who knows what the future may bring! As for static IPs on Cable, I know a lot of people would like to see this as an option. We are constantly working on improving things with our vendor though so maybe one day.

Thanks again for taking the time to provide your feedback.

Shawn S

Review by deafmonkey See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "High Capacity, Average Speeds, Good Value, UseNet, Static IP on DSL"
Bad "Occasional support issues"
Overall "UseNet, Good Static IP rates, Stability when it works."

·Start Communicat..
I was on the 6/0.8 Plan from 2009-2012, Static IP, DNS reverse.
The first 3 years I had zero need to contact support. However my buildings intercom system really destroyed anyone using DSL in my building. I May rework a setup to Get
Teksavvy back on DSL for redundancy in the future alongside with start cable.
I still would still recommend them for DSL if supported in the area. - Beware of intercoms! As it could cause misunderstandings.

And the speed was superb at first, Things got slower as things progressed. Though
I am not a current Teksavvy customer, I wanted to say thanks for the service during
the years when it was fun, having a bad intercom unit/wiring in the building that interferes with the DSL signal is so not fun!

The order and install process at the time, was 10-15 Days If I recall, however it was around the christmas holidays, so it's to be expected for a delay. - My Teksavvy Consultant had me up and going with the equipment he had going and was great for replacement modems when needed, as my DSL modems were dying pretty quick at the time, I was testing many modems at the time, however my dedicated modem for teksavvy was GNET GBB0060. Before that was a speedtouch, and 2wire DSL modems.
I forget the model #'s of the latter two.

It was convenient for testing various DSL modems without needing to call in.

As for the support issues, Long wait times, Was a problem with my hearing impairment as not everyone would wait to get ahold of them for me. So support sometimes took a period of time to get an immediate fix, E-mail also takes time as well.

However if I had known about TekSavvy on this forum sooner, I may have been able to get my issue fixed.

However if you get to be the lucky customer with stable Teksavvy internet, and never needing to call support, then Teksavvy is the right choice. When it works, it works.
When needing support, There may be long wait times. And long E-mail times.
However I would not mind those long wait times and e-mail times, If it was a once or twice a year thing. Instead of daily for about 6 months. - They likely would not have
found the problem over the phone anyways. As it was the buildings intercom unit/wiring
I do not blame TekSavvy entirely for the Intercom DSL Woes I had. - People calling on the intercom knocked out everyones DSL light, it didn't matter which unit they were calling, and other weird things happened with that old intercom, they replaced it with another one, Which I still do not trust. I'm waiting for current DSL users in the building, to stop complaining about the intercom, before I try and get Teksavvy back again.
On DSL. Ditto for the intercom users in the building.

There are many users I saw on the forum saying Teksavvy is just too busy complaining about bell or rogers, but from my experience I don't recall from my support
calls where they were like oh it's bell, in fact I don't recall them blaming bell much
usually it was something like yeah they understood there's a network problem, but
did not outright blame bell. - They once said that bell may have moved me to a different
equipment, But did not outright say that due to bell moving my equipment they screwed
up, It was like bell moved me to a different line, and they may be working on it and such.

Update Apr 26 2014:

Since I have switched to Start cable I have not found a need to use Teksavvy as a backup due to the fact I have gotten 99.99% uptime in the past year with Start.

For DSL In the past Teksavvy 'worked' not as great as start cable it however did work. However I will still leave the rest of the review rating for Teksavvy as is on DSLr

member for 1.2 years, 240 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Marty

Your review

Thank you for your review and taking your time to provide feedback. We appreciate the time you have taken to tell others about your experience and we hope that if you chose us in the future that the wiring shenanigans you had to face wont be a factor on the service such as it was with your previous DSL connection.

We are happy that you have found us on DSLR as we are very active in this forum and it is a nice easy way to receive assistance as well as ask general questions as the people involved on DSLR are very active and very knowledgeable and happy to lend a hand to a fellow TekSavvy subscriber when in need.

We thank you again,