Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by apvm See Profile

• Location: London, ON
Good "Fast and stable"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "This is one of the best, same as Golden.net used to be."

Update 21/3/2015, upgraded from my 6/1 to 15/1, it was smooth as silk, Teksavvy still deliver, thumbs up.

Since I don't use that much bandwidth I joined the one with 200GB cap...transfered from Execulink on 31/12/2009 was smooth....started the New Year right.

Will soon switch my land line to them soon, since I already uses their internet and LD service.

member for 12.1 years, 1100 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

Re: Review!

Hello Apvm,

Thank you for taking the time to write a quick review about your speed upgrade!
We are pleased to read that everything went smoothly!

If you ever have any questions, you can find us in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum or give us a call at 1-877-779-1575.

Thanks again for your great review!
Warm Regards,

Review by ShocWave See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Just as fast as Telus, but at a fraction of the price."
Bad "Fees, Fees, Fees. Installation fee, speed change fee, additional IP address fee, dry loop fee, modem rental/purchase fees."
Overall "High price of admission, but in the end it's worth it."

I switched from Telus ADSL 15 to TekSavvy VDSL 25.
I was paying $58 before tax. Now paying $45 before tax.

Placed a phone call to TekSavvy, and the sales staff was very helpful and friendly.
I really wanted a SmartRG SR505n modem, but they wouldn't sell it to me saying that it would only work in Ontario (false).
Because of that, I ended up cheaping out and getting a non-approved Huawei HG610 instead.
Be aware that if you use a non-approved modem, you may not receive as much support if things go wrong.

There was about a day of downtime, as the rep suggested that I set the installation date one business day after cancellation.
The "installation" consisted of the Telus guy coming over, taking a quick glance at the little grey box on the side of my house, and speeding off within a two minute timespan.
The magical activation switch was flipped remotely later in the afternoon, but without any notification what-so-ever.

As the name applies, you have to be rather tech savvy (which I am, lucky me) to use their service.
You have to do all the modem configuration on your own, as the Telus guy doesn't step foot in the door and will be driving off before you can even blink.
Installation guides can be found on the TekSavvy forum on their website.
Assuming you configured it properly, your connection should be up and running sometime later in the day.

I probably wouldn't recommend this ISP to my grandparents, unless I offer to help them set it up myself.
When you sign up for Telus or Shaw, everything is pretty much plug and play without any configuration necessary. Plus you have the benefit of having someone set things up for you on site.
TekSavvy uses PPPoE, which requires login information to be entered into the modem's web interface.

Overall, I am quite satisfied with TekSavvy.
If you're a tech savvy guy, then TekSavvy is right for you. Why let Shaw or Telus rip you off while they laugh their ways to the bank?
Internet works, low ping, slightly faster than advertised speed, fair usage caps with an unlimited option available.

member for 13.6 years, 467 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

review

Hello ShocWave,

Thank you for the review. Happy to hear you are enjoying the service with minimal issues. Happy to hear you were able to get the modem configured and working normally.

If you have any questions please let us know in the Direct Forum.
Thank you again for your review.

Review by RandalIT See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Better pricing, more options"
Bad "Has to use Telus as the middle man"
Overall "Any company that give me more for less is aces in my book"

I have had Teksavvy for about 2 years now, during that time I have added a second line for MLPPP to get the extra speed/redundancy if a line were to stop working. Like tonight for example FYI I don't expect everyone to do this but as I wanted the extra download/upload it did make sense.

The support has been outstanding, although it can be frustrating sometimes as we have to play hot potato with Telus as they own the last mile. As for speeds they are always as advertised never slower.

The one thing I must say that I have yet to see any other company do, especially any of the big three *you know who you are* is when one month the price I was paying drops and they raise the cap from 75GB to 300GB. To me this is a company that knows what they are doing and are not out to just make money.

I would recommend Teksavvy every day of the week and twice on weekends.

member for 2.6 years, 534 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSILiz
join:2012-08-20

Response

Hi There!

Thanks for taking the time to write this and we appreciate the positive feedback. We want to keep you as a happy customer so please feel free to reach out to us anytime if you have any questions or concerns.

Have a great day!
Liz
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

"Not all those who wander are lost."

teksavvy

In sept. 2014... We moved from blehneim to Bridgetown...having teksavvy for a year and no problems..called and said that I want the internet at my new home....did everything and had someone come out to hook everything up and the tech guy was great...we use the internet for Facebook...netflicks...and surfing... Everything was fine...month went by and no bill...called and said it was mailed out....another month and no bill...but paid out online...two more months and no bill...called again and they said it was mailed out...didn't pay out this time...about 3 weeks ago internet went down...so called teksavvy...they said we didn't have account since sept 2014 ...but how could that be I have been on netflicks and getting online for the last 4-5 months...also had someone come out and hook everything up....the only thing I was told is that I have to pay for the account again to get active...about 175....I already did that over a year ago and I didn't call to cancel our account in sept...had to miss a day of work to wait for the tech guy and now I'm paying again.....now teksavvy is great and never have problem s..but I don't want this to be the story I tell people when they ask me about your company.... Please help ...

TSI Taunia

Hello Shasta,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this. We would like to look into what happened here, can you please message us in the direct forum »TekSavvy Direct with your account information.

Thanks,

Taunia

[CID number deleted --sashwa]

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

Re: teksavvy

shasta, I removed your CID number and sent it on to TSI Taunia for you. It's not a good idea to post that in Reviews.

Re: teksavvy

Thank u...this is all new to me

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

Re: teksavvy

Not a problem. I was glad to help.

In order for you to post in the Teksavvy Direct forum, you need to join the site. It's okay to post personal/private information there because only you and the techs in there will be able to see it.

Joining the site is free, easy, and spam free.

»/join

Edit - We also have a public Teksavvy forum:

»TekSavvy

TSI Taunia
Hello Shasta,

Thank you for providing your account number. I did receive it from Sashwa. I will be emailing you at the email address we have on the account.

Thanks,

Taunia

Review by dtsang See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "early activation, excellent telephone and online (BBR) support, low cost"
Overall "great service"

I ordered TekSavvy DSL on the day my telephone line was connected. There was almost no wait when I called to order the Premium DSL service (at $29.95/mo). The ordering process was smooth, and I received my SpeedTouch 516 modem in two days, shipped by Canpar.

The service was scheduled to be activated in Sept 4 but I plugged the modem in on Sept 1 and found DSL sync - the service was online and working! Currently on a 3 Mbps/800 Kbps profile and I'm looking to get that raised.

Absolutely no problems so far.

EDIT: added local telco (Bell Canada)

EDIT 2 (Sept 4 2007): Profile raised to 5 Mbps/800 Kbps without me even calling! Maybe my order kicked in... or maybe TSI is really on top of things!

EDIT 3 (Oct 23 2007): Updated monthly charge to include GST/PST. Fully satisfied with service after almost two months. Keep up the great work.

EDIT 4 (Sep 30 2008): Still going strong after a summer deactivation and fall reactivation. I had some trouble with the SpeedTouch modem but some resets fixed it. Go TekSavvy!

EDIT 5 (Feb 30 2010): Moved service temporarily to an Ottawa location. The new line was very flakey, so I asked TSI to downgrade the speed. They called me the next day to see if the fix had worked. Although they called the wrong phone number (I had several on my billing profile), the fact that they were proactively checking their customers' satisfaction is remarkable, and speaks to the amazing customer service provided by TekSavvy.

EDIT 6 (Apr 2 2013): Continued customer with TSI (DSL GAS 7/1 and POTS home phone in Toronto). No issues; continued happy customer.

EDIT 7 (Aug 28 2013): We had a complicated move in mid-August 2013, with moving of POTS Home Phone service and a new activation of DSL. The move was seamless and we had almost no downtime; however, the new DSL activation was made on the wrong profile (DSL GAS 6/0.8 instead of DSL FTTN 7/1 which was requested). TSI MartinP was very helpful in rectifying the situation, and the upgrade from GAS to FTTN was successfully completed without incident. I continue to be a satisfied customer of TekSavvy.

EDIT 8 (Mar 7 2014): Still very happy with service, but a bummer that prices went up by a few dollars/month (from $24.99 to $27.99/month). Good value nonetheless.

Comments:

Old Martin
join:2006-02-23

Happy Customer makes us happy!

Glad to see you are still enjoying our service after all this time.

Thanks.
Martin

TSI Marty

Your Review

Hey Dtsang,

Glad we got everything turned around and straightened out for you, if you ever need anything else just let me know! I am happy to help!

Martin
teksavvysuck

join:2013-09-04

teksavvy bloodsuckers

i played 220 for an install on Aug 22nd it took ten days for a Rogers employee to connect my lines. A job that a kindergarten student can do. The modem i was given was not properly provisioned and i could not connection t to the internet. At this point i some to a manager and requested my install fee back due to lack of service. The manager said not going to happen.

That being the case I noted I wish to cancel. The manager tied me i could not receive a refund for setup only for returning.g my modem with a 25 dollar stocking penalty. I noted i was never oonline therefore i had never recieved service. The manager responded well technically sir your lines are live so we are providing you service so you will recieve no refund.

it has now been 28 days and i still do not have internet connection. Teksavvy robbed me of $220 and there is no tentative date for my modem swap.

Manager was a complete asshole who basically laughed at my plight. His only defense was "well you knew what you were getting into going third party. company should be fined by the CRTC for illegal interpreting the contract in whichever way suits them.

Review by JMJimmy See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Best communication & honesty I've had from an ISP"
Bad "Bigger means a harder time keeping quality up"
Overall "Worth it."

Update 4:

Moved to a new location, amazing communication/coordination. Still had to deal with the phantom bhell tech but that's an issue for the CRTC. Rock solid connection at new location.

Update 3:

I was able to get a SmartRG and that has resolved most all of my issues. It has some unresolved issues itself but they are relatively minor. Overall support has been excellent for DSL and I am extremely happy with my service. Andre and Marc did everything they could to try to get sync-no-surf resolved before I switched modems - to the point of getting me on beta firmware from Bhell. Way above and beyond. Cable support for my mother-in-law's account is still sub-par, unfortunately. They've got a lot of work to do to get the Cable end up to the DSL support level.

Oh, and price went down - woot!

Update 2:

New cons: Unfortunately support quality is down. I recently called in for my mother-in-law on her Cable package and was not impressed with the level of knowledge the support rep had nor her ability to communicate. My current Stinger + Sagemcom SNS issue is still ongoing after a year.

New pros: Support wait times are way down from my last update, SmartRG modems now available (though doesn't do me much good as I can't get one on my rental package and can't afford the layout for a new one), possibility of unlimited data in exchange for reduced speed during prime time.

Update:

New Cons:

Growing pains. Support wait times are way up currently but likely to come down soon. Their success has not been without issues, however, they have not sacrificed overall quality for expediency.

They've also had some issues dealing with problems I've experienced - to their credit they put one of their technical leads on the problem who worked with a Bhell Repair Manager to try and solve the issue but both were stumped. It comes down to defective slam switches + bad firmware from Bhell so I can't fault TSI too much for that.

New Pros:

Price!!! I asked for cheaper, I got cheaper! $39.99 + ~$7(dryloop fee) for 25mbps/10mbps VDSL - a 19mbps/9.2mbps increase for the same price I was paying before.

More transparent and accessible than ever. Highly recommended.

________________________________________________________________

Cons:

Few... sales wasn't as informed as I would have liked them to be about the technical end, but by far more knowledgeable than Bell's tech support so kudos.
Install takes a few days longer than it should, but again, wholesaler issue - nothing can be done for the first 3 days it seems just because of Bell's crap.

Pros:

Everything else. Intelligent tech support that actually listen if there's an issue (no canned Q&A), fast response to everything, communicative, honest, and relatively inexpensive.

I would like a better price ($39.95+$4 for MLPPP + band charges + tax) but for unlimited bandwidth and throttle bypass it's worth it. It's also $15 cheaper than my previous Bell contract which was only 2mbps faster and capped + throttled.

member for 6.6 years, 1154 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

RE:No one better

Hello JMJimmy,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

It has been a constant battle with the wait times. We are definitely getting the wait times to come down by a large margin. We are still hiring more staff. In fact two new technical support teams have just begun their training. As soon as they complete their training we anticipate a great drop in wait times.

Thanks again for your feedback.

TSI Shawn

novatelus

join:2013-06-22

Re: RE:No one better

DELETED

Re-Update 4

Hello JMJimmy,

Thank you for your latest update!

We are pleased to hear that the move went well, aside from the phantom tech.

We hope that your new location continues to receive a rock solid connection. Again, should you need any assistance please feel free to either post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum or call an agent at 1-877-779-1575.

Review by kithop See Profile

• Location: Coquitlam,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Amazing Tech Support & Customer Service, Reasonable Rates"
Bad "Still beholden to the incumbent telco for last-mile"
Overall "A great alternative, especially if you're 'tech savvy'"

I've been a TekSavvy customer for a few years now, and just recently had a completely painless upgrade from the 25/5 package to the newly available 50/10.

Their tech support is top-notch, always available either here on these forums or on their Twitter accounts. I've even had technicians answer questions on Sundays when I wasn't expecting them to be available.

Installation is, of course, handled by the local telco provider - when my services were originally set up, a 3rd-party contractor from Telus showed up with a blank work order - 'They told me I needed to be here but there's no info on what needs doing - so, what do you need?'. I had to explain to them the situation with getting DSL hooked up, but that we'd be using it with TekSavvy instead of Telus. It took a while to get it all going, but once hooked up, the service has been excellent.

As with any DSL or phone service, you have to be aware of the fact that they're only responsible for the wiring to your house's demarcation point, and the internal wiring beyond that is your own responsibility. If you live in an older house, be prepared to learn how to run new wiring from your demarc point to your modem - ideally as high a quality and short as possible (gutting an old Cat5+ network cable, picking a pair, and replacing the end with the appropriate RJ11 should be more than sufficient if you know how and have the tools).

Once set up, in the rare event there's any sort of technical issue that lies beyond your house (i.e. routing or packet loss to specific sites), TekSavvy's network techs are awesome at responding and fixing things, especially if you're a more technical person and are able to help them out with things like traceroutes and timings to help them pinpoint the issue that may lie within their control. They're always present on the DSLReports forums, providing status updates and answering questions, even if people are just curious about how they do things, what sort of equipment they're using, or what sort of traffic load they saw during the last Olympics with everyone streaming video at the same time.

The only thing I think any of us could wish for is that they were big enough to have their own proper physical presence, to compete with the incumbent telcos for last-mile connectivity, but that's a huge investment for a small company. Their pricing is also closely tied to the CRTC and approved tarriff rates with the incumbents - it took a long while for the 50/10 tarriff through Telus to be set, before they could start offering the service themselves.

For new users, especially those unfamiliar with Indie ISPs in Canada, the separation of ownership and responsibilities between various pieces of the infrastructure can be a little hard to understand (You own your house wiring, Telus owns the wiring between your house and their headend, including the DSLAM in your neighbourhood, they pass your traffic straight to TekSavvy, who owns your PPPoE user account, IP address(es), and routes your traffic for you to the public internet through their own points of presence and exchanges), and the initial setup can be daunting. You have to purchase your own DSL modem (either through TekSavvy or something else approved by them) and order the service, pre-paying before any technician has visited. TekSavvy has to put an order in with Telus for said technician and service, and Telus can introduce their own delays in getting that sorted out. Be prepared for TekSavvy and Telus to have to kick things back and forth a few times until Telus understands what needs to be done.

All in all, though, it's worth the effort and the occasional headache to get set up, because the service is excellent once up and running!

member for 4.2 years, 238 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

review

Hello Kithop,

Thank you for the review of our services!! I am very happy to hear you are enjoying the services and that you have communicated with us on most of our online forums. At TekSavvy we like to ensure there are many ways to reach us not only over the phone lines. Thank you as well for explaining the set up process, it is always nice to read things like this. Thank you for this.

Please keep us posted on your connection journey. If you have any questions we are always available in the Direct Forum for further assistance.

Review by kragop See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "DSL Company that actually delivers & cares about its customers."
Bad "Availability of VDSL varies from area to area. As such we are stuck on ADSL."
Overall "Worth the switch & the price, period."

Quick Snapshot:
- I have been with TekSavvy since October 2009.
- My experience thus far has been excellent
- Highly reliable ADSL service.
- I recommend the ADSL or VDSL service to anyone that qualifies.
- Great TekSupport
- Most importantly Great prices
- To help you keep your internet cost manageable, Teksavvy offers Zap-the-Cap; this means you sign up to a pro plan, 400 GB plan, and activate zap-the-cap to receive unlimited service without paying the price of unlimited- only one catch, you have to accept reduced speeds from 8pm-12pm. To me the trade off is worth it.

Positives:
- The service is amazing - consistently fast and reliable.
- Works well with VOIP and Netflix.
- The switch was simple and easy.
- They let you buy your own modem, and offer Dry Loop ADSL.
- They offer MLPPP and static IP.
- Offer TekTalk digital home phone (VOIP phone) service at an affordable price.
- Their TekSupport is knowledgeable and helpful; and you can also get online support.
- Honest people who listen to their customers.
- Small town Canadian company, which employs Canadians.
- They advocate for consumer rights, and lower prices when possible.
- Their ADSL service is highly reliable.
- To help you keep your internet cost manageable, Teksavvy offers Zap-the-Cap.

Negatives:
- The availability of VDSL in my area is limited, as such we are on the 15/1 ADSL profile. Though this is beyond TekSavvy's control, its a bell issue.
- They are not listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange, so you can't purchase shares.

member for 9.1 years, 2438 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by nanook See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "Works as advertised. Instant access if you already have DSL service."
Bad "None. If you want to read about Bad stuff go to the Bhell Internet ratings"
Overall "BettER than Bhell for 2/3 the price!"

Works as advertised. Instant access if you already have DSL service. No caps. No throttling. No bullshit. Just bettER service than Bell for 2/3 the price!

Updated 06Oct08: After almost a year with TekSavvy all I can add is that I am just as delighted with my decision today as I was when I made the switch from Bell. In the meantime I have migrated several family members from Bell to TSI and "encouraged" countless others to do likewise.

Updated 12Feb11: Still a very, very satisfied customer and still recommending to everyone I know who's still on Bhell to switch pronto.

Updated 12Apr13: Recently upgraded from 6/0.08 GAS to 15/1 FTTN. Upgrade went smoothly on the date promised. No downtime other than to reboot the modem. And the cost went down $2/month. What's not to like?

Updated 17Mar14: Nothing new to report other than the line has been rock solid.

Updated 19Feb15: Now in 8th year as a happy camper with TSI. Nothing new to report other than the line continues to be rock solid and TekSavvy's customer service, in the exceptionally few times I've needed it, has been exemplary. Keep up the great work guys!

Comments:

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
join:2008-06-03

Sweet!

Hi Nanook!

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide an update to your review.

We certainly appreciate the feedback and your continued patronage.

Andre
Director of Service Delivery

TekSavvy Website | TekSavvy Blog

RE: update 17Mar14

Hello nanook,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a great update!!
Glad to hear that everything is rock solid, as it should be .

If you ever require awesome customer support please send us a message in the »TekSavvy Direct forum or give us a call at 1-877-779-1575.

Sincerely,

Got TekSavvy?
join:2008-06-03

Thanks for the update!

Review by Floop70 See Profile

• Location: T9V2J1
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Good value for service"
Bad "Nothing yet"

I had been aware of Teksavvy for a while now but didn't know they were available in my town until last November sometime. It seemed to me to be a bit of a risk to have to buy the modem and actually pay to have the service installed (TELUS and Shaw both provide equipment and install for free), so I was into it by $314 before even having the service installed. I have now been using it for three weeks and it's really nice to not have to worry about going over my usage limits. Kids wanna watch Netflix? no problem. We wanna watch a movie on Apple TV? No problem. With Shaw before we were having to limit the use of streaming media... now it just doesn't matter.

The package we went with is 25/5 DSL with unlimited usage. Ordering it was really easy on their website, but it did take TELUS about a week to confirm to them that I could actually get the service. TekSavvy sent me updates daily while waiting for this confirmation. I bought a ZyXel VSG1432 from TekSavvy... I had it in a few days (before TELUS even confirmed availability).

One happy customer here. Really glad we made the switch.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Review

Hello Floop70

Thank you for the review!! I am so happy you are enjoying the 25/5 DSL connection. I am thrilled to see that everything went smoothly with receiving the equipment and activating the service.

It is nice to know your family can enjoy their online experience without worrying about overages. This is lovely to see. If you ever have any questions or concerns please let us know either in our Public or Direct Forums we are always happy to help.

Thank you again for this great review!

Review by vintagewino See Profile

• Location: Grimsby,ON
Bad "Have to use Bell's crumbling infrastructure & abysmal cooperation."

·WIND Mobile
·magicjack.com
Update Jan 31, 2015:

Another bonus! 400GB base limit?! Wow!

What would be better is if I could get good, consistent 5000/800 FP capacity on the line, but since the F2 is at the mercy of Bhell, the devil will be wearing skates before that gets replaced. 3000/512 FP is the best that piece of spaghetti can handle. It is NOT the fault of the F1 line, which splits 3 doors down. Saw the capacity of that fist hand.

Entertaining thoughts of some simplification and cost reduction, so changes are likely pending. Spoke to the folks regarding cable in the area. Have to crunch some numbers and see what happens ...

Update Jun 24th, 2013.

Price drop!! $37.28!!!

Connection is stable (3008/512 FP), considering the F2 line is garbage. The line cannot support 800k u/l, and d/l capability varies from 5300 to 4100, depending upon chance & luck. Bell has done (and will do) NOTHING to improve it so I can have solid 5M/800k FP. I'm stuck....

According to the TSI web page, looks like I might qualify TSI cable internet (Cogeco). Thinking of Cable 6 or Cable 10. cable with TSI (to keep costs and features similar). Bears looking into ...

Still cannot move home phone POTS over ...

Updated Feb. 4/2012:

Price gone up to $39.54, as of Feb. 2nd. Add an additional $1.50+HST "monthly activation charge" for new comers (now $41.23)? In June 2010, price was $31.45. - almost 17% increase on the base price, and an overall increase of 26% (compliments of the HST).

My line has not improved to even get 5M/800k, so I'm paying much more for the same line.

They are no longer the "darling" company they were. The constant threat of a $100 truck roll charge to Bell so that Bell can "fix" their garbage infrastructure is getting very old. The F2 line I'm on is punched, and s/b replaced, according to the last Bell service rep. That was 2 years ago. Same line.

Had thoughts of moving POTS over to TSI, but am holding off until I see what direction they're heading in. Sadly, it appears they are becoming more and more "Bell-like".

Update June 24/2010:

Price going up July 1st by $2 + the B.S.T. to $36. When I left my old ISP December 2007, internet charges had just increased to slightly over $44 TIP. And they did NOT offer 24/7 support, either.

Line is "stable" - no difference from 1/31/10 update.

I was concerned hearing support response time sliding. Had a query June 16th, so I nervously posted in Direct Forum, fully expecting reply later next day. I was wrong. There was a response in 90 minutes. I posted a reply. Response to that in 5 minutes. Find it difficult to argue with that. Thanks, Jason!

Update Jan. 31/2010

It has been a very interesting ride. I had the feeling TSI felt they were going out on a limb with Bell with these problems, but they did stick by. Bell finally found a bridge tap and succeeded in removing 7 dB of attenuation from the line. Was ~53 dB. Now ~46 dB.

Unfortunately, this has done little with the varying noise margin problem. D/L noise margin varies from 18 dB down to 10 dB, but generally 17 dB +/-1. Since 1700 yesterday, it dropped from 18 dB down to 11 dB, and stayed there for several hours. It has since crawled up to 13 dB as I'm writing this @ 1430. The line occupancy availability has varied from 5600 to 4200 over the last 20 hours.

This IS a significant improvement, as my noise d/l margin was a max 12-13 dB, and would often drop the connection daily or more. Currently, loss of DSL signal has been occurring once in 7-14 days.

Since I require fastpath, I'm stuck at a 3008/512 profile. Inadequate headroom on the U/L to get a 4032/800 fastpath; can get 4032/512 interleave at best.

The below-mentioned incident with the unnamed TSI rep was dealt with internally, and an apology issued.

Update Dec. 19th, 2009
It's about time to rewrite my review into something more current. Unfortunately, the numbers have changed, and not for the better.

I have had DSL since 2001. Started with Sympatico, switched to internet Direct (Look) in 2002, and to TSI in 2007.

2009 has been interesting, due to many losses of DSL sync. Swapping many modems, changing the POTS splitter a few times, changing the line from the demarc into the house, having Bell change the drop from the pole to the demarc, I continue to have problems since February. Well over 20 tickets have been issued to Bell to correct the problem. The problem still exists.

I have personally seen the Bell measurements at the F1/F2 junction box less than 200 meters from my house, 5056/800, RCO 50%. After 200 meters of F2+25 meters of drop, my my RCO@100% varies from 4700/732 to 1900/732 (that was this morning!)

The last thing Bell did in September was switch me to a different F2 pair. This has helped to drop the frequency of of resets due to sync loss, but has not eliminated it. Sitting on a 3008/512 FP profile, I can watch the d/l noise margin vary from 15 dB spike down within seconds down to 8 dB, then climb back up within a couple of minutes back to 12-15 dB. The u/l stays constant at 13 dB SNR, regardless. With the erratic d/l noise margin, I doubt I can ask for a better profile, as the sync losses would worsen.

The last Bell chap said the F2 cable has to be replaced.

When I queried TSI a few days later, I was told everything was fine, the F2 was fixed. Received a call from someone a few days later from TSI (refused to identify himself), said that was the best that can be done, and if I don't like it, I am free to leave. Checked back a couple of days later with TSI (after I cooled down), and indeed, that call DID come from one of TSI's outgoing numbers. I lodged a complaint, received an apology, but it certainly shook my confidence.

WTF????? An interesting way of doing business! That call certainly put the brakes on me switching my home phone.

So far, status quo. No final resolution with line problem. Wish there was an alternative to Bell's lousy copper. Cogeco is an alternative, but NOT an option.

Comments:

TSI Support1
TSI Support
join:2009-09-28

Review

Hey there,

Thanks for the update! I'm glad to see that your connection is stable and that you're happy with the price drop! Unfortunately at the time we still have no ETA about the POTS from transfer from Bell.

If you'd like assistance with the cable internet or even have some questions about it, feel free to ask!

Jon

TSI Jonathan
join:2011-08-24
canada

Review Update

Hey vintagewino!

Thanks for the update on the review! Happy to hear the 100gigs bump works for you.

If you ever need help or have questions regarding anything, please feel free to reach out to us in our direct forum »TekSavvy Direct. Our online team is always happy to help.

TSI Jonathan
Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.