TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by tahukipas See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Package priced attractively, sign up process was a breeze"
Bad "Terrible system for coordinating the install, no accountability, unstable connection"
Overall "It's a hit and miss as you're basically at the mercy of their vendors to get anything done"

·TELUS
Signed up at Aug 4 for the 15/1 DSL internet and got the Aug 14 installation date. During sign up call, the rep didn't mention that the date was tentative and subject to confirmation from vendor (presumably Bell in this case). Since then, I only got a couple of emails stating they're experiencing a delay with the vendor and couldn't tell me when the install will take place. As I'm posting this, the 1st installation timeslot has passed and I've yet to hear back on this or if the tech will come on a new date. There wasn't even a formal communication stating that the 1st installation timeslot won't be happening.

Teksavvy's reps in the direct forum were responsive to my questions, but ultimately they weren't able to move this forward. The general message I've got so far from the reps are that Teksavvy doesn't have any control over the vendor and can't do anything when issues like this arise. This is disconcerting for me because as an end user, I'm paying Teksavvy and would expect to get service in return. I expect Teksavvy to do what needs to be done and coordinate with all involved parties (including their vendors) to deliver on their commitment. Unfortunately, this is where they fail in this case.

[8/17 Update] I have received a confirmation email from Teksavvy that the vendor has confirmed an installation date at Tuesday, Aug 19. I will provide another update once the installation is done. Many thanks to all parties involved in expediting this and I'm hoping everything goes smoothly on the d-day.

[8/19 Update] Bell technician came in as scheduled. Took approximately 2 hours to complete the installation. Speedtest shows a 14.3 mbps download and 0.78 mbps upload which I figure is close enough to the 15/1 maximum. Tested streaming youtube in HD which went smoothly as expected. Overall, I'm happy with the speed. Will monitor for the next few days if the performance is consistent.

Speedtest result in here: »www.speedtest.net/my-result/3699943590

[10/18] I'm deducting one point for connection reliability because for the past 2 weeks, my connection has randomly disconnects. Sometimes the issue is gone right away (restart modem and connection comes back), but there have been a few occasions where DSL keeps dropping after getting connected for 2-3 mins.

member for 68 days, 7 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI ShawnS
join:2012-11-22

RE:Review

Hello tahukipas,

We apologize that our agent did not make themselves clear that the requested activation dates are tentative pending vendor confirmation.

We are experiencing some delays with our DSL vendor with regards to acknowledgement of orders.. We are working with our vendor to get the earliest dispatch date available. We will deliver on our commitment and activate your service as soon as our vendor confirms a dispatch date for us.

Thanks again for your continued patience.
I see that you have already posted in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum. We will continue to work with you there.

Warm regards.
Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

join:2013-11-18

Review Update

Hi tahukipas!

Huzzah! Glad to hear you finally got a confirmation. Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Thanks,

Review by AkFubar See Profile

• Location: Toronto CAN.
Good "Great...customer service/price/openess/professionalism."
Bad "None to report"
Overall "A remarkable Canadian success. Innovative, customer focused and great value for $. I Recommend!"

My package price includes landline phone (POTS) with call answer and 5M internet (200GB cap) .

Please Note:
The 30 Days from Order to Live is reflective of the 30 days notice I had to give to Bell for cancellation of my internet. Teksavvy (TSI) had me up and running exactly as promised!

Moved my phone landline plus features and internet from Bell to TSI in January 2009 (phone activated Jan. 6th; internet activated Jan. 14th). Everything went flawlessly and I am enjoying great performance with a $30 saving per month over what I was paying Bell! I should have made the move sooner! My internet services performance using the ST516v6 modem is attached below.

Update at 6 Months:

I am very satisfied with TSI services and my savings continue. I continue to be impressed by this company's customer service, transparency and forward thinking. I heartily recommend TSI for both phone and internet services! An all-Canadian company that embraces traditional business values.

Update at 1 Year

My connection has remained solid and my savings continue. I am impressed by TSI's attention to customer service and by their commitment to net neutrality, innovation, fairness and keeping prices down. I have no hesitation in continuing to recommend TSI. Future updates will be made on an exception basis only. Now please excuse me while I continue to enjoy my TSI services!

Update at 4 Years (Mar. 2013)

All aspects of service remain consistently excellent. Teksavvy is now improving their hardware to prep for higher speed offerings which are also a great value. In January of this year I referred my brother who is also very satisfied with the service Teksavvy provides. Teksavvy continues to lead the field!

Update September 2014 - Upgrade of DSL Services for DSL Pro 6 300GB Cap to DSL 15/1 Unlimited

Upgrade went on time as promised and without issues. Well done TSI!

member for 9.6 years, 4241 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Martin

Thanks for the Update

Glad to see you & your brother are enjoying the service.

Review by RizzleQ See Profile

• Location: Windsor,ON
Good "Great service at a great price"
Overall "Totally worth it"

»Review of TekSavvy Cable by RizzleQ briefly describes events leading up to my switch to TekSavvy DSL and other events much later.

I ordered TekSavvy Dry-Loop 6meg DSL back on Jan 4th, 2012 over the phone with Brent and selected my activation date as Jan 13th. Brent was extremely helpful and detailed as he addressed and answered any concerns and questions I had. The requirement to be home from 8am to 5pm was fairly standard so I chose someday the next week I had off from work. I got a verification email the very same day, which I confirmed immediately to get the ball rolling. This email contained all the details I could ever need like pricing breakdown, tentative dates, possible additional costs, PPPoE and email credentials; good stuff.

Sometime shortly after this I realized I had made a shift trade at work for that week that I forgot about when selecting the activation date. It would have left me with working on Jan 13th and have Jan 12th off. I called TekSavvy as soon as I realized this and simply asked that they change the activation date to Jan 12th as that date was still over five business days away. After being thrown on a quick hold, Bill tells me this request has been placed. To be honest, the confidence in his voice as he told me this was… lacking to some extent, but this was a very simple request so I thought nothing of it. What could go wrong, right?

A couple days later I get an email letting me know my activation date was confirmed for Jan 13th... wait... what? I was annoyed, to say the least, when I found out from Linda that nothing actually changed with my order on that call that I placed only days before. She assured me very confidently that she sent off the request for sure this time. Luckily there was still enough time to make that happen. I waited at most one more day to delightfully hear the activation date was confirmed for Jan 12th. Now, all was well in the world.

Jan 12th rolls along and I get a phone call around 9am from someone asking me if I have a dry-loop DSL installation slated for the day. I confirm this as I look out my window to notice this person is a Bell tech sitting with another Bell tech in a Bell van in front of my house. The tech was unsure if he needed to do anything as he said he saw no NID attached to the side of my house, only the buried service wire coming out of the ground, run along my house for about 10 meters and go straight through the wall. I state there is no NID or even a testable jack inside or outside for me to confirm sync is active on my line.

I let both of them in my house and describe my wiring setup as we proceeded to the basement. We then met with the mess of telecom wires next to my electrical panel. One of the guys immediately determines what needs to be done, goes back to his van to get a bunch of stuff. I specifically asked that they don’t hook up the DSL to my existing home telephone wiring since there’s VOIP on there. He seemed fine with doing that, so about 25 minutes of work later and he’s done setting up a new wiring block with new wiring to a new isolated phone jack. He does a quick ANAC check on the line and says I’m all good to go once hearing my dry-loop number on his phone. As he starts packing up his tools, I plug in my preconfigured TP-Link DSL modem which gets sync and authenticates with TekSavvy’s RADIUS server fairly quickly. I was able to confirm the modem was getting a full 6016/800 sync rate and speed tests showed the associated 5.4 Mbps download/0.65 Mbps upload speed before the Bell techs left. I was pleased with their professionalism and neat setup of the dedicated line that I asked for.

In June of 2012, TekSavvy rolled out their IPv6 BETA program as part of the World IPv6 Launch (»www.worldipv6launch.org) that I happily jumped on as soon as they announced it. TSI Martin replied to my request with all the details I would need to set that up. I got some huge IPv6 subnets tied to their own unique DSL login that worked for me on the first try. Way to be, TekSavvy.

Now, let’s fast forward to mid-January 2013. I had been enjoying my DSL which was performing perfectly for a full year; no drops in speeds or connectivity at all. It was around this time that the weirdest slow speeds issue hit a bunch of people in the Windsor area. It was characterized by modems getting full synchronization, yet there were sporadic slow speeds at all times of the day. Most of the time my whole household had under 1 Mbps to share; it was brutal. I knew a few people in this region with tickets opened that dragged on for weeks. That was something called a “pattern match” slow speeds issue. It was pretty much as low priority as it gets considering it was a “service impairment” issue versus an “out of service” issue (on legacy DSL in a not so highly populated area no less). We had Internet connectivity at least when other people didn’t, so that’s kind of fair I guess. It was one of those “it’ll get fixed when it gets fixed” type of issues.

Around that same time there were talks about TekSavvy Cable coming to all areas that Cogeco services. This was enough to keep me hanging in there with that unpredictably slow DSL. I finally got hooked up with Cable in March of that year. I decided to keep my DSL line activated even though I had a considerably faster, perfectly working cable connection. To balance out the load, heavy users of the house use the cable, and everyone else uses the DSL. It’s a nice setup. The DSL speeds returned sometime around this time as well and seems to be fine according to those users in my house.

Overall, from the order date until today, the TekSavvy DSL experience has been mostly a positive one. The long stretches of great service can’t be overshadowed by any negative moments. You’ve got a happy TekSavvy DSL customer here for over two years.

member for 8.7 years, 1016 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Kris
join:2013-11-18

Hello RizzleQ,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! It's sounds like quite a journey. We are most definitely delighted to hear you are happy with the services overall.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if there is ever anything we can help with!

Cheers,
Reanne

Review by Viral See Profile

• Location: Windsor,ON
Good "Quick, Painless, Tech was very polite and ensured there was sync directly to the modem!"
Bad "We had to explain a few times to the Tech where and why we wanted it installed where it is now."
Overall "Great service, friendly representatives, GREAT PRICE!"

I've been a TekSavvy customer for about 2 years now on their Cable 14 (now Cable 20) and have been more than happy with their service.

I was shocked when I checked and found out I qualified for 50.0 on DSL. In this area we only get 6.0, so I had to use Cable to get the speeds I needed. I was so happy once I moved and this location qualified for 50.0 on the Bell website. I called over to TekSavvy and spoke to Jenn and she confirmed the information and submitted my order. Seconds later I received my confirmation e-mail with the dates I selected for installation.

Since the service required a VDSL modem I purchased the SmartRG 505N.

Everyone I spoke to was very professional and I was expecting to be sold a Bell service from the technician, but he was very courteous. I had to explain to the technician a few times where and why I wanted it installed in my office/gaming room, he went into the basement to check the wiring to see if there was an alternate way to install without damaging my home. (I was prepared for him to drill through the wall)

The tech was here for about an hour but did a magnificent job and setup a jack and even took the time to confirm there was sync on the line!

Great work TekSavvy, keep up the great work on the CRTC front!

UPDATE: 10/17/2014
Things are still running smoothly, aside from the odd slowdown that was very quickly taken care of, we're all green still. My router died awhile back so I replaced it but the SmartRG I purchased from TekSavvy is still running strong in VDSL Bridged mode! Knock on wood.

Comments:

TSI ShawnS
join:2012-11-22

RE: Review by Viral

Hello Viral,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this excellent review!

Glad to hear that everything went smoothly for your transition to DSL. Should you have any questions or concerns please feel free to either reach out to us in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum or call an agent at 1-877-779-1575.

Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

TSI Denis
join:2014-10-15

Re: Update

I'm glad to hear everything is still running smoothly!

Don't forget we're always here to help you if you ever run into problems,

Thanks for the update!

TSI Denis

Review by ftp1020 See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Canadian, and not a multinational"
Bad "Robotic tech support, bad scripts"
Overall "Definitely sticking with them"

6th Year Update

I've had cause to recently use tech support in the Direct Forum. The person who responded pasted 148 lines of text into the post, and it contained mostly unnecessary and unrelated tests to perform. They would not read the information I provided in the opening post, and said they could not help unless ALL these unnecessary tests were performed. A Senior person jumped into the thread and rescued it before it derailed completely, so three stars instead of the 1 it deserves. That's the most robotic tech support I've ever experienced, and very surprised it came from Teksavvy. They should consider this to be an official "harrumph".

5th Year Update

I've deleted all the old comments because 5 years later, TSI isn't the little indie they once were. That sounds bad, but please read on.

Over the last five years, TSI went from mostly offering 5/.6 DSL (and dialup) service in Ontario to now presenting some kind of footprint in every incumbent's area. For a long period during that time, the emphasis was on Rogers TPIA links and that meant explosive growth in TPIA cable customers. That growth, unfortunately, led to lots of legitimate complaints and also meant the DSLR TSI forum was overrun with oversold POI and other complaints. When I first signed up, a phone call to the helpline was answered in 2 rings - after TPIA, make that 2 hours!

It took a long time to all settle down, but a more professional TSI emerged. There's been a noticeable uptick in TSI staff participation in the forums over the last year, and Marc is back with his unique perspectives on pricing, the CRTC, and just being an indie ISP.

On the CRTC and other regulatory fronts, I have to give full credit to Teksavvy for trying harder than anyone else to crack open the cosy market the telco/cableco duopoly have created for themselves at our expense. Without TSI stirring the pot in Ottawa, we'd all be paying double the price for half the bandwidth. I'm guessing TSI's now-larger customer footprint was helpful during those hearings. As for the Voltage/Canipre lawsuits, TSI acted within my hopes & expectations.

There's been other competitors emerge, especially now with Aggregated POI ruling the cable interconnect roost - including Start.ca in my own Cogeco cable area. But cost of internet services should be only one factor, and looking at the others (CRTC fights, transparency, how they react to a "my bad" situation) and it made no sense to leave, so here I am, still on ("legacy", LOL) 5/.6 ADSL1.

I was pretty shocked (pleasantly) by the low ADSL2/VDSL proposed pricing, recently revealed by Marc. I'm almost certain to switch, and I'll update this review a month or two after that's happened. Until then, I'm leaving the Install Co-ord and Pre-Sales at 5 out 5. I haven't called tech support since guys like TSI Paul were answering the phones, so no rating.

member for 7.7 years, 2314 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Danielle
join:2012-05-31

re: Your Review

Thanks so much for keeping your review current and updated. I'm glad you're happy with the increased presence on the forums and have noticed the difference.

Please keep us updated if you decide to change your package and let us know how things are going.

Danielle
TSI Danielle
Social Media Relations
Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Thanks for the update

We understand times have changed. The requested information the agent requested is to see what is required in regards to the direction taken in resolving issues.

That said, we do appreciate you taking the time to update us. We always appreciate feedback & we are happy to have you as a loyal customer of our for all these years.

Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyBuzz ; @TekSavvyNetwork ; @TekSavvyCSR

SadNewCX

@198.96.82.x

not even set up yet

up until now I heard and saw good things from tech savvy but i recently went over to tech savvy and the price i was quoted 4 weeks ago has changed and it is now $10 more for half the bandwidth but still not a terrible deal. So I sign up and they give me my install dates ( at most according to our conversation ) I have to wait 7 days …. Nope they change it to 13 days later … I hope that the service is better than this from here on

Review by bryanviper See Profile

• Location: Toronto, CAN
Good "Great ISP in every way"
Bad "Not much...."
Overall "Worth the money great support, great people, Great isp"

Great Isp never had any problems, worth ever penny! Now only paying $26.50/month with taxx after referrals =)

member for 12 years, 3015 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Martin

Thanks for the review!

Keep them referrals coming! It's only going to help you down the line!

bryanviper

join:2002-10-12
Toronto, CAN

Re: Thanks for the review!

Another $2 discount should be applied to my account soon

Review by moofo See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Geek Friendly, easy to talk to tech support, No port blocking"
Bad "None I can think of"
Overall "The best ISP you can find using DSL"

I'm with Teksavvy since 2002, back in the time they used to resell "iStop". In fact my customer number is below 40 !

I ran servers in my basement with them on a regular 3000/800 DSL line until the end of 2009. I had a 5 address subnet assigned and they went as far as setting reverse dns on them so my mail server would receive and send mail properly. If I remember well, my subnet was like 15 $ a month. in 2004, I switched to a Naked DSL. At the end of 2009. I stopped hosting my servers at my place for various reasons and switched my line to a single static IP, which was well enough for my needs. With the years upgrades brought my line to 6000/800.

I had some problems with the connectivity. However, they were either Bell's or my modem's fault as I went through a modem a year at one point (Don't ask). I never bought my equipment through teksavvy so I don't know. Through the years I've been using a mixture of Thompson, GVC, and now Cisco DSL/network gear and I had no problem configuring them for teksavvy.

I appreciate the fact that you call there and talk to a human being upfront.

I run many voip phones over my dsl line and it works perfectly. I have the bandwith I'm paying for and the caps are generous.

UPDATE July 29 2010...

I decided to leave as I'm just tired to deal with problems with Bell. Their tech support is very good however, for the last two tickets I had opened, I didn't get the kind of frequent feedback I like.

I was having a weird issue of packet loss which got somehow lost by tech support.

Too bad guys... I might be back one day.

I totally understand the battles they are doing and I support them in this, but in the end, I want a working connection.

Update September 18 2014

I'm a teksavvy customer again since the end of 2012. It's smooth sailing and I hardly had to call tech support. Speed is awesome as well as reliability.

It's good to be back !

member for 10.7 years, 956 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Martin

Thanks for the updates

Glad to see/hear you are enjoying your services with Teksavvy. Let us know if you ever has questions, we'll gladly answer them.

Review by Scottie22 See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Fast, Friendly Service, Speeds are top knotch."
Bad "None!"
Overall "Can't possibly go wrong."

Ordered with 25/10 VDSL2 package on approximately the 29th of August and was promised an install date of either September 11th, 12th, or 13th between 8-12am. Was contacted by Teksavvy several days later that it would indeed be the 12th. Priced at $39.99 + $5.00 dry loop fee (does anyone have house phones anymore?)

The Bell tech called me just after 8am and let me know he was on his way. The install took approximately an hour and a half - I live in a brand new house and the builder had some funky wiring going on but the tech was an awesome guy - really nice and knew his stuff. No complaints at all there!

Hooked up and running shortly after (bought the SmartRG505n outright), anxious to check out the service I have been doing numerous speed tests and checking my connection stats; I have been at a consistent 25/10 at any time of day and am quite pleased with everything.

Overall happy with their services so far.

member for 13.6 years, 931 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello Scottie22,

Thank you for the review! I am happy that during the busy back to school season that there was no delay with your installation. This is wonderful to see. I am also very happy to hear that the technician took his time to ensure you were properly activated at your home.

Thank you for sharing that you are receiving the correct speeds at any time of day.

If you have any further questions or concerns we can always be found in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

Thank you again for your review and please keep us posted on your TekSavvy journey.
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

Review by R0B0B00GIE See Profile

• Location: Gloucester,ON
Good "Amazing customer service, great value, best bang for the buck, very fast and very reliable"
Bad "Nothing to really add here about teksavvy themselves, but Rogers was really slow to switch over during back to school season. "
Overall "I can't speak highly enough of them. We've had great service, and they have gone above and beyond to ensure our satisfaction"

We'd been tired of getting overcharged for small bandwidth caps at Rogers. This was the third time their "retention" had given us "deals". None of them even came close to what Teksavvy offered. We tried them anyway and still got burned. So we made the switch.

I'm not a big downloader. But when you have 4 game consoles that give you free games, and some of those run you 40 gigs, you need more than an 80 gig cap. Teksavvy gives us what we need.

The switch over from Rogers is the only problem we had. Rogers was ignoring requests for over 5 days at a time. So my initial gap of service was only because of them. After finally getting off their hands and doing their job, they disconnected me because someone "forgot" to put a tag on my line that said I was with Teksavvy. This seems to happen more often than coincidence would imply.

Despite all of this, Teksavvy was more than accommodating in providing us with an alternate means to have connectivity because for us it was also needed to work from home. Despite Roger's ineptitude and ridiculous slowness of response, we kept getting updates and help from the teksavvy team as they did all in their power to connect us and then repair the Rogers "blunder". When we made a case for the need to be connected right away, and Rogers was still ignoring the urgent requirement for connection, they offered us a wireless hub during the outage so that we didn't lose business.

I can't praise these guys enough.

Comments:

TSI Jonathan
join:2011-08-24
canada

Hello R0B0B00GIE,

Thank you for posting this review and sharing your experience with others! Glad you are happy with the service and happy to have you on board!

Cheers,

TSI Jon
Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Review by Vector_In See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Reliable and cheap"
Bad "Runs on Bell lines."
Overall "Reliable and Cheap"

·Bell Fibe
Great bunch of people. I left execulink do to increase of price and the cap. I also have my phone service with them. So far so good.

update!

I came back! Teksavvy again has proven to be a leader in great service and product! I have gone to 25Meg service! just love it! I was with Bell for a little while. Until they start increasing the cost.

Comments:

TSI Mat
join:2013-10-25

Response

Hello Vector_In,

Thank you for your kind words and the positive feedback. Should you have any questions or concerns in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Glad we where able to accommodate you and bring you back to the family.

Respectfully,