TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by MacGyver See Profile

• Location: Russell,ON
Good "Great price, no contract, tech support that cares and works hard to solve problems"
Bad "At the mercy of the local telco for installation and repair, expensive service changes"
Overall "Happy to be a Teksavvy customer on IPv6"

I chose Teksavvy for my home phone and internet needs mainly because of the excellent rapport they have built here in the DSLR community.

Submitted my order over the phone, and it sure is nice to start your call by talking to a human being that cares, instead of a machine that wants to know what language of voice mail maze you would prefer. The support reps I've talked to are very knowledgable, and actually have a sense of humor!

August 8th 2009: Received my Teksavvy PPPoE login via email, and it works great. Still have a lot of hurdles to get over, mainly the question of whether I will have any interruption of internet or telephone service as my official switchover date of August 18th approaches.

August 16th 2009: It was only because my PPPoE login for Bell and Teksavvy stopped working that I called TekSavvy and found out two days before my activiation date that Bell rejected my order to transfer services to Teksavvy, for "no apparent reason." Rep restored my PPPoE login immediately. I'm somewhat disappointed I wasn't contacted by Teksavvy as soon as the order was rejected. But, to their credit, Teksavvy jumped on this right away to try and make things right - on a Sunday, no less!

August 26th 2009: There were also issues with switching long distance and local phone to Teksavvy which took a while to sort out what ended up being quite a mess, but it was worth it to be rid of two other overpriced services I had before. Long distance to Germany is 3 cents a minute now!

September 4, 2009. I received my first invoice and there was one small error. One call to Teksavvy, they cancelled the invoice and sent me a new one via email the next day! The "other guys" would have never have issued a corrected invoice, and insist on full payment of the erroneous bill, even if I threatened to cancel. Thanks for realizing the customer is always right!

October 24, 2009: Been with Teksavvy for two full months now, and the service has been rock solid. I'm totally satisfied and contract free!

June 20th 2010: I'm moving. See comment above from August 16, 2009. The exact same thing happened AGAIN. Move order cancelled for no reason, PPPoE login suspended, I only found out about it when I called tech support to find out why my connection was lost... And I haven't even moved yet! I'm extremely disappointed having to deal with this again.

June 25th 2010: Move completed. Services up and running AOK. Long distance wasn't working but one call fixed that. Hold times for tech support are getting longer.

Jan 17 2012: Download speed upgraded to 625 kb/s. But I had to fight to get it.

Mar 15 2012: New monthly package including 75GB for $30 instead of 300GB for $35 (I've never gone over 40 GB so this is perfect for me). Thanks, Teksavvy!

Nov 9 2012: Still happy!

Apr 2013: Price dropped from $29.99 to $26.99! How many companies in this day and age DROP prices for customers?

Oct 2013: Since Teksavvy lowered the Dry Loop Fee to only $5, I decided to dump my POTS service and port my existing number over to VoIP. This would save me about $32 a month. First thing was to activate a new dry DSL service on my second pair so I could have uninterrupted service, since porting my number would cancel all services associated with that number. The new dry DSL service was activated on the date agreed, Oct 18, 2013. Unfortunately with this change I had to pay $50 for a new service and the first month up front.

Nov 2013: My latest invoice had several errors due to all the recent changes I requested in my service, but posting a message in the TekSavvy Direct forum got things corrected in less than 24 hours. The Direct forum is wonderful because I can communicate with my ISP without spending valuable time on the phone.

Jul 2014: Now using IPv6 via DHCP-PD under the TekSavvy IPv6 beta program. Seems to work great so far. I'm very pleased to be a part of this pioneering effort as the available IPv4 addresses are finally starting to dwindle to the point where something has to be done.

Jul 2014: A new DSL modem allowed Teksavvy to tweak my profile to get a bit more upload and download speed.

member for 12.8 years, 6007 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Serop

join:2003-06-20

nice timeline!

did not read it all though, but it's good idea to track your experience

Happy

Glad that you are still happy with us and we will continue to make you happy. If there is ever anything we can help you with you know where we are.

Thanks for the review again!

TSI Jonathan
Social Media Relations Team Leader

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Your November review

Hello,

Glad to see the Direct Support page was able to help you... Always glad to help you out when ever you need it.

Best Regards,

canada

Update

Thanks for updating your review. Happy to see you are enjoying our IPV6!

Review by dsoegiarto See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Stability, Quality, Value and Support"
Bad "Installation/setup coordination was a little flakey and pre-sales was confusing"
Overall "Good value, good product. Can't go wrong!"

Pretty much as the Good/Bad/Bottom line summarized. Value is great ($50 all included for dry-loop 5Mb/1Mb, no contract) and line quality is great. 3 months down and it disconnects twice, each less than 3 minutes. Service is great considering they have support in this forum as well.

The only regret? Launching the 12Mb+ services 1.5month after I sign up with $99 installation/upgrade fee. I would've jumped to that bandwagon if I didn't need the internet that soon. Oh well, maybe next year

EDIT: Moved to new address. Downgraded 15 to 7 considering that's the best they got. Everything else exactly identical: Great service, horrible horrible setup.

EDIT: This time around, TSI provided a temporary a solution, which is beyond what I would expect any ISP provider to do. Great job. But still not the perfect situation. Upgrading Install co-ordination mark.

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Your review

Thank you for taking the time to review. May we possibly ask that you elaborate as to what the cause of the setup that went horribly wrong?

This may help us identify avenues of improvement.

Noticed you have already posted in the public forum & our upper management is already looking into this.

Martin
TSI Martin (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyBuzz ; @TekSavvyNetwork ; @TekSavvyCSR

said by TSI Martin:

Martin

The posts in public forum is more than I can ask of TSI to look into.

Feel free to check ticket# 174507 (last year) and 175294 (this year) for more info.

It's the coordination with Bell that's more of a pain.

said by TSI Martin:

Martin

Even more update today to support my feedback. See ticket # 175294.

Ordered on the 17th, scheduled for the 26th, backup date on the 28th and 29th.

Today they're saying, my order is on the 28th, and Bell is just working on the 24th??

Wouldn't my order should be the 17th? Or 26th at worst?? How did I fall off the list?

The whole thing is a joke, and I'm being nice.

Re: Your review

Just an update: TekSavvy just went out of their way to do what they can to help me during my downtime by providing temporary solution. That's a 5-star effort in my eyes.

Unfortunately, ultimately, Bell is part of installation component regardless, and TSI could be a little clearer in communication.

So I'm bumping the stars, but still not a 5.

Re: Your review

Thanks for the update. We certainly appreciate it

Review by xtrike See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Affordable, Consistent, Unlimited 2-8am."
Bad "None for me at this moment."
Overall "Best ISP in Canada if you have the guts to change."

Well it already been at least 3 years that I'm with TekSavvy, and it time that I finally post a quick review.

For these past 3 years, TekSavvy is the greatest service that I ever had, without any major problem to complain.
My installation that happen about 3 years ago went really smoothly. It got hook up right away when disconnecting from my last provider.
The day that I upgraded my package from 6/1 to 15/1, it went like my installation process, it was just impeccable!

About gaming, really stable latency most of the time, rarely losing packet.

Bad thing that happen, none at this moment, that I can remember.

If TekSavvy is ever available for you, you should at least it give it a shot!
And once you go TekSavvy, you never go back to ... you know what!

member for 7.6 years, 456 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI JonD
join:2013-07-29

Review.

Hello there xtrike,

Thanks so much for this review and for your kind words! I'm glad to hear you've enjoyed your services with us. It is always very much appreciated to see positive reviews such as this.

Best regards,
Jon

Review by Dylan24 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Problem solved"

So my speeds are where they should be at, and I thank the reps that took care of these issues for me. I would say they were prompt and friendly.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

TSI John
join:2014-03-14

Your Review

Hello Dylan24,

We at Teksavvy do strive to make each and every customer a satisfied customer. We would very much like to look into this issue and get it resolved. Can you please post your account information in the »TekSavvy Direct forum so we can have a look for you?

John
Online Services Account Manager
Dylan24

join:2014-07-21
Toronto, ON

Re: Your Review

Thank you for replying in a prompt manner. When you ask for my account information, which info is it exactly that you're looking for? Would you like me to repost tis review in the Teksavvy Direct forum?

TSI Keith
join:2012-07-09

Re: Your Review

My apologies for missing your reply here. Simply make reference to this review and supply the requested account info so that we can have a look (when you post in direct it will automatically ask you for the info we would need to locate your account)
TSI Keith Online Services Account Manager - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Calero27

join:2014-01-13
Chatham, ON

You have a line issue of some sort.

This is not a case of Teksavvy not providing the proper speed. This could be a line issue, a bad filter, phone cord, jack or modem. Lots of things can be causing this. Since this a physical problem changing to another Dsl provider will leave you in the same boat till the problem is resolved.
hightech

join:2011-01-03

Don't shoot the messenger

I have helped migrate a few friends to Teksavvy from Bell DSL and all of them had speed related issues. They were paying for 6mbps service and speedtest rarely got over 2 mbps (mostly under 1 mbps). This was an issue on the line (they were on old copper lines and not FTTH or FTTN settings. I have since got them migrated to Cable (Cogeco and Rogers) and their 20/2 and 25/2 speeds actually get 20/2 and 24.7/2 respectively.

Your problem is not really with Teksavvy but with the external line coming to your home or the lines inside of the home. As frustrating as this can be, blasting Teksavvy for the issue is like shooting the messenger.

You may be better served with a Cable connection if it is available in your area. With DSL, you either get great speeds or it just plain sucks. Rarely there is middle ground.

Review by Paul1298 See Profile

• Location: Oshawa,ON
Good "Rock solid service."
Bad "calling can be a real pain"
Overall "Best bang for the buck. On-line support is second to none."

Well it's been 3 years now so I will finally post a review on TekSavvy's DSL.

First off, I do not have a home phone or cable television service so I have a dry-loop for DSL ($5 a month for the dry-loop, or "free" if I had active phone service from Bell). The dry-loop was installed while I was at work by bell (had a family member who's retired, wait for the bell tech who came on-time, and didn't even step foot into my house.) After the dry-loop was installed, a member of teksavvy or a contractor on their behalf came-by a couple hours later (I was home for that) to set up the phone jack wiring and set-up my modem. There were some issues with that (PPPOE log in errors) But he was able to connect to the network with his modem and left after that with out me being able to log-in, and I was fine with that as I was sure it was an issues with log-in info. Turns out my password was incorrect but a quick call into TekSapport fixed that. Had rock solid service for a year or so.

Had an issue with speeds, when it dropped from 15mbit to 6mbit at random one day so I called in, and was asked if I would be okay with them sending out a bell tech to check my lines and if there was nothing wrong that I would have to pay $90 or something like that. I was very, very against that to the point of canceling... But I found dslreports.com and then found the tek direct forum, posted my issue, got a reply within an hour, and it was fixed. May upgrade to a higher speed tier, initial cost of new modem and speed change charge is all that is holding me back.

TL;DR

Great service. Use direct forum for any issues.

Comments:

TSI ShawnS
join:2012-11-22

RE:Review

Hello Paul1298,

Thank you for your kind review!

I'm glad to read that your install went great and that you've had rock solid service for a little over a year!

With DSL, any repair ticket that we open requires agreement to the diagnostic maintenance charge. Our vendor will test up to the demarcation point. If the problem is determined to be internal wiring or equipment, you would be charged this fee. We do our best to troubleshoot everything in order to rule out internal wiring as much as possible. This doesn't guarantee that our vendor will not charge the fee however, this would only decrease the chances.

I hope that this explains the fee.

Feel free to send us a message in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum should you encounter any other issues.

Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

kevin123321

@174.88.96.x

tech savvy

I am going to try them for the first time I am changing my internet from bell
I let you know guys as soon as posible

Review by HiVolt See Profile

• Location: Toronto, ON
Good "Honesty, great DSLR tech presence, Cable or DSL solutions, MLPPP support"
Bad "none for me at this time"
Overall "Great deals for either cable or dsl"

·TekSavvy Cable
Update July 25/2014
----------------------------
No problems to report, my VDSL is running smoothly with the SmartRG modem i got last year prior to TSI offering them. I did reflash it with TSI firmware/config 6 months ago and its working just fine.

Update Dec 10/2013
----------------------------
Today marks my 6 years with TekSavvy, and I hope for many more! No problems service wise, and I always appreciate the honesty from Marc & the team on the forums!

Update Sept 26/2013
----------------------------
Finally Bell dropped the requirement to rent or purchase the Cellpipe or Sagemcom modems as of this month. After inquiring in the direct forum on how to proceed, I returned my rental Cellpipe to TekSavvy and my $8/month modem rental has been removed! I am happily using my own modem (Zhone 6652-A2) since April, 100% stable.

Update June 3/2013
----------------------------
No major issues with the service, only the fact that I've had to resort to finding my own modem that doesn't disconnect me or have other issues... Both the Cellpipe and Sagemcom have flaws in both stability and speed if you're on 50meg and use your own router. Sad part is, I am still forced to pay $8/month for the modem rental to Bell, for a Cellpipe modem that I don't use and that is obsolete in support and features, and there doesn't appear to be an end in sight. Not TSI's fault, there is some proceeding at the CRTC with regard to the VDSL modem certification, but they keep stalling and stalling, and nobody but Bell is able to source a modem that is compatible with the Stinger remotes...

Good thing is that prices went down a few months ago after the CRTC reduced Bell's capacity rates.

Oh, and the congestion to my remote was fixed maybe 6 months ago or more now, they added a second gig-e link to it. No problems with evening speeds now.

Update July 23/2012
------------------------------
Bell released the Cellpipe firmware fix today to the public. Firmware version is 1.0.4.4R8-wh. Some users were already on a beta test of it and it appears to fix the rebooting issue. I've switched mine to the Cellpipe from the Sagemcom, it fetched the ugprade and we'll see how it'll be over the next few weeks. Still congested in evening. That hasn't changed.

Update May 30/2012
------------------------------
I forgot to post an update since I've upgraded to 25mbps VDSL, during the March "free activation" promo. Installation of that went ok, though the tech that was supposed to install the POTS splitter came so late (almost at 9pm) and I told him to just give me the splitter and I installed it myself. But the fun issues started afterwards... FIrst, Bell sends the shitty Cellpipe modems for wholesale VDSL service, which either aren't proper firmware for Stinger remotes, or they have bad firmware bug that makes it reboot several times a day. These issues have been known for 6 months now, and still no official fix. I have managed to get my hands on a Bell Sagemcom modem, which is entirely stable. Modem issues aside, I also experience evening congestion, due to the remote on the street only having a single GigE feed, instead of two which most of them have. It's not THAT bad, drops to about 15-18mbps on heavy days when more people are watching FibeTV, which I suspect has priority over internet. I guess they'll upgrade it some day.

Update Feb 20/2012
-----------------------------
Well, my first ever billing issue with TSI was when the February invoice came in. I was charged a $5 account change fee TWICE, for switching from Unlimited to 300GB package in January. They said that they would be waiving those charges only after Feb 2nd (when the new prices took effect), but not for those who changed in January, when the emails were sent out informing of the changes taking place starting February. They refused to credit the fee over the phone, and failed to notice that the fee was charged twice. I did get the fees eventually credited after posting about it in the forums. They handled this very poorly, as well as other announcements with regard to the Feb 2 changes in other plans.

Update Jan 25/2012
----------------------------
As of Feb 2/2012 the rates are going up thanks to the CRTC, so I've downgraded my unlimited to the 300GB package to save a few bucks. I haven't come close to 300GB in a long time, but just kept the unlimited package out of principle. Now that it's going up $5, no thanks.

Update Dec 2/2011
----------------------------
4 years with TekSavvy DSL! Still workin' great as usual!

Update Oct 4/2011
---------------------------
No problems at all, smooth sailing as usual. Coming up on 4 years with TSI DSL.

Update Nov 23/2010
--------------------------
I've not used my TSI DSL much since getting TSI Cable back in July, but I have kept it as a backup because cable was a bit iffy for the first few months. No problems with the DSL as usual.

Update April 4/2010
----------------------------
No major problems aside from a couple brief 10 minute outages in the past week due to that sneaky bug in the Juniper ERX blades dedicated to MLPPP. Can't believe its been 2 years since BHell throttled wholesale. MLPPP has been an amazing fix!

Update December 19/2009
---------------------------------------
Didin't update for a while, but there's no issues to report all is well! Still using MLPPP to evade the throttling, going on 1.5 years now.

Update September 4/2009
-------------------------------------
No problems!

Update June 28/2009
-------------------------------
TekSavvy has added more capacity in recent months as well as dedicated hardware for MLPPP. All is well!

Update March 17/2009
--------------------------------
No issues, still receiving great service from TekSavvy.

Update December 14/2008
---------------------------------------
Well, the CRTC decision came and went, and they sold out to Bell. They are supposed to rule on the subject of Net Neutrality as a whole for all ISP's in July. I'm not holding my breath, as we know big ISP's & content providers have deep pockets.

As for my TekSavvy service, everything's been great. They've have added more capacity & redundancy in the last couple months to handle the growing demand.

Update September 21/2008
----------------------------------------
No problems to speak of, all is well. The CRTC decision will be handed down October 31, I await anxiously and hope they will strike down Bell's traffic shaping. Until then, I'm still using MLPPP.

Update July 15/2008
------------------------------
No issues, everything working fine. Still using MLPPP to evade traffic shaping, as CAIP continues to battle Bell at the CRTC. I referred my cousin two months ago, one quick email to accounting and I got my referral credit applied!

Update May 27/2008
------------------------------
Well, some good news... As of a few weeks ago there has been a nice workaround for Bell's traffic shaping. MLPPP (MultiLink PPP) is working great with the help of some Linksys WRT54G router firmware modified by two determined forum members. Other methods of using MLPPP also exist, so read the forums, there are ways around the throttling!

Update April 16/2008
------------------------------
On Apr.9 my area became affected with the throttling that Bell has imposed on its entire wholesale ISP customer base. While this is obviously out of TekSavvy's control, I feel its worth mentioning here. TekSavvy & other ISP's that are a part of CAIP (Canadian Association of Internet Providers) are currently fighting this issue by filing a formal complaint with the CRTC. I fully support TekSavvy in their fight, and props to them for sticking by their customers!

Update March 13/2008
---------------------------------
No problems, enjoying great service so far.

Update Jan 11/2008
----------------------------
It's been a month after the official switchover, and it's been smooth sailing!

Dec 10/2007
------------------
Woo, finally fully switched to Teksavvy! I've been using an unlimited login since about April '07, with very few issues.

I contacted TekSavvy mid November to schedule a switch, and provided them with a cancellation # from Sympatico. Sympatico cancellation was on Dec.9, and it was processed successfully and it looks like I've transitioned smoothly with no downtime.

I will update periodically as I have with my other ISP reviews.

member for 13.5 years, 7345 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

jhu111

@co-op.ca

Customer service agents

The internet is great, tech support is good but the customer service agents there about as dumb as sh*t. They must not have very good training, always have a problem when we call in especially when transferring services to a new location.

Sweet!

Thanks for updating your review

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello Hi-Volt,

Thank you for the updated review. I’m happy to see you are still enjoying the service with your own modem.

Please keep us posted on your TekSavvy services.

TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

Chatham, ON
Glad to hear its still smooth sailing!

Review by JMJimmy See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Best communication & honesty I've had from an ISP"
Bad "Bigger means a harder time keeping quality up"
Overall "Worth it."

Update 3:

I was able to get a SmartRG and that has resolved most all of my issues. It has some unresolved issues itself but they are relatively minor. Overall support has been excellent for DSL and I am extremely happy with my service. Andre and Marc did everything they could to try to get sync-no-surf resolved before I switched modems - to the point of getting me on beta firmware from Bhell. Way above and beyond. Cable support for my mother-in-law's account is still sub-par, unfortunately. They've got a lot of work to do to get the Cable end up to the DSL support level.

Oh, and price went down - woot!

Update 2:

New cons: Unfortunately support quality is down. I recently called in for my mother-in-law on her Cable package and was not impressed with the level of knowledge the support rep had nor her ability to communicate. My current Stinger + Sagemcom SNS issue is still ongoing after a year.

New pros: Support wait times are way down from my last update, SmartRG modems now available (though doesn't do me much good as I can't get one on my rental package and can't afford the layout for a new one), possibility of unlimited data in exchange for reduced speed during prime time.

Update:

New Cons:

Growing pains. Support wait times are way up currently but likely to come down soon. Their success has not been without issues, however, they have not sacrificed overall quality for expediency.

They've also had some issues dealing with problems I've experienced - to their credit they put one of their technical leads on the problem who worked with a Bhell Repair Manager to try and solve the issue but both were stumped. It comes down to defective slam switches + bad firmware from Bhell so I can't fault TSI too much for that.

New Pros:

Price!!! I asked for cheaper, I got cheaper! $39.99 + ~$7(dryloop fee) for 25mbps/10mbps VDSL - a 19mbps/9.2mbps increase for the same price I was paying before.

More transparent and accessible than ever. Highly recommended.

________________________________________________________________

Cons:

Few... sales wasn't as informed as I would have liked them to be about the technical end, but by far more knowledgeable than Bell's tech support so kudos.
Install takes a few days longer than it should, but again, wholesaler issue - nothing can be done for the first 3 days it seems just because of Bell's crap.

Pros:

Everything else. Intelligent tech support that actually listen if there's an issue (no canned Q&A), fast response to everything, communicative, honest, and relatively inexpensive.

I would like a better price ($39.95+$4 for MLPPP + band charges + tax) but for unlimited bandwidth and throttle bypass it's worth it. It's also $15 cheaper than my previous Bell contract which was only 2mbps faster and capped + throttled.

member for 6 years, 809 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

TSI ShawnS
join:2012-11-22

RE:No one better

Hello JMJimmy,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

It has been a constant battle with the wait times. We are definitely getting the wait times to come down by a large margin. We are still hiring more staff. In fact two new technical support teams have just begun their training. As soon as they complete their training we anticipate a great drop in wait times.

Thanks again for your feedback.

TSI Shawn
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

novatelus

join:2013-06-22

Re: RE:No one better

DELETED

Review by mrbojangles0 See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Absolutely nothing."
Bad "No internet for 3 weeks. Was hung-up on by representative. Still no internet."
Overall "Take the retention deal from the incumbent ISP!"

I write this review on July 16 after a Teksavvy representative hung up on me instead of putting me through to a supervisor when they offered and I said yes. This is my review of the experience thus far with Teksavvy.

I put in for a cancellation on May 25 of Bell internet which would take effect on June 25. I figured I would set up the whole transfer early. I paid the upfront cost of approx. $250 sometime in May and gave the cancellation date of June 25 with a cancellation number.

Bell offered a retention deal of 25/10 with 400GB cap for $40 a few days thereafter. This was better than what I would be getting at Teksavvy but I turned it down since I had already paid $250. Something in my gut told me to take the deal and forfeit the money I already paid. I should have went with my gut.

Before June 25 I received a voicemail and email about "incompatible product on the line." I explained that I had given a cancellation date of June 25 so my internet was active. They said they would put the order through again to take place at least 5 business days after June 25. I was confused since I had a confirmation that my prior internet would be canceled on June 25 and asked whether it could be done earlier than the 5 business days. The answer to this was an unequivocal no. Fine, I would be getting amazing internet for a great price so I would just put up with the week of no internet.

On July 4 I received a call and email saying my order was rejected due to "incompatible product on the line." I call Teksavvy and explain to them that I had canceled and cited my cancellation number. I explained that I had no internet service at all. The account manager told me sometimes the USOCs (spelling?) do not get switched and I should call Bell and ask them for an update and to switch it. The sales rep told me if I cannot get the USOC switched that someone at Teksavvy could call Bell support on my behalf the following day. I called Bell right after and explained the situation and after going up to the next level of tech support they told me that the Teksavvy USOC had been put on the line and asked if I wanted them to take it off again. The Bell rep also told me that Teksavvy can call Bell Enterprise Support and see what the problem is. I said I would get Teksavvy to do that because both Bell and Teksavvy reps told me it was possible.

The next day (July 5) I called Teksavvy and explained the situation and asked them if they could contact Bell support for me. The rep I got that day was bewildered and said they never do that. I told her that the account manager from the day before said they would but she maintained her position. She said what would work is if the order was placed with my Bell cancellation number on the order since that was not done the first time. She said that was my best option. Considering I confirmed with Bell that the USOC was switched over 12 hours prior I figured it would go through citing evidence of the cancellation. She said there was a backlog of orders and to call and confirm the status of the order on Wednesday July 9. The order was placed for July 12.

On July 7 I got an email saying I did not respond to a support ticket. I called in and they said it was nothing. No status on my order.

I called on Wednesday July 9 and asked for the status. They said they had no update for me.

On July 12 I got a notice saying "not received an update from our vendor to confirm your installation." Essentially nothing was happening on July 12. I called and inquired about what would happen. They said the order would go through on the next available day and that someone would come to install the service "whenever". I explained no one would be home if it just happened at any old time. They said they would be happy to put in an order for me but that would start my five business day countdown again. I said I would stick with my current order.

On July 13 I cracked from lack of internet and bought a WIND mobile internet stick and 3g internet plan for $100 total. It's awful, but it is how I share my Teksavvy experience with you.

Monday July 14, no update. Tuesday July 15, "attention required: incompatible product on line." I called Teksavvy yet again and someone said they could call Bell for me the following day. This was weird as I could get no such assistance on July 5 and essentially wasted more than a week waiting for an order that did not go through.

Today I got a voicemail that Teksavvy called Bell. The gist of the call was that Bell said there is an active customer on the line with active service. I rush over to my phone jack as soon as I get home to see if I have some form of internet, Bell or Teksavvy. Nothing. I tried both PPPoE usernames/passwords. I was not billed for Bell internet within the last month either. Bell sent me my modem return box and my modem is gone too. As far as I can tell I have no Bell internet service.

I call Teksavvy to see what happened in the conversation between Teksavvy and Bell. The standard "call Bell" answer wasn't working for me anymore. The rep told me they were talking to "higher ups". After a long period on hold I was told to call Bell again and cancel my service.

I said that I had already canceled my service. I stated that I had been without internet for 3 weeks with this runaround. No one at Teksavvy seemed willing to help, only offering the same canned solutions like maybe I had FibeTV, or just call Bell. I stated my account information so many times to Teksavvy I had it down pat. This whole scenario makes no sense to me since I am in a bind where Bell says my internet is canceled and Teksavvy says it isn't. I explained that essentially Teksavvy had $250 hostage and that it would do nothing to help me with this. Telling me to "call Bell" is not a solution when that solution has failed already. I opined that Teksavvy should be able to do something because I couldn't be the only person with this problem and that someone should be able to help me.

The rep offered to put me through to a supervisor and I said yes please. They said something to this effect: "Before I transfer you there is one more thing you could try. The thing you can do..."

The line went dead and I have not been called back in an hour and a half. I guess 3 weeks is the maximum amount of time Teksavvy is willing to support its product, or lack thereof. I am convinced the hang-up was deliberate.

I've been on the phone with Teksavvy at least 4-5 hours total and with Bell for about 1-1.5 hours. I have received no service after paying $250 in May.

Teksavvy gets 0/10 in my book.

Comments:

TSI Jon

Hello mrbojangles0,

I am terribly sorry to read everything you've went through. I have asked for one of my online account manager to investigate your account. Could you please post in the direct forum with your account information please?

»TekSavvy Direct

I will ensure that this gets followed up on and that we resolve this issue ASAP.

TSI Jonathan
Online Experience Manager
mrbojangles0

join:2014-07-16

Re: Review

Thank you for your reply. I made the post to the direct forum but I will be going with another ISP.

TSI John
join:2014-03-14

Your Review

Hello mrbojangles0,
My name is John. I am one of two Online Services Account Managers here at TekSavvy. My partner Keith and I would like to look into this issue for you to try to get it resolved as quickly as possible. If you wouldn't mind can you please post in Direct your account details so we can have a look?

John
Online Services Account Manager

Review by irixion See Profile

Good "Prices, service, if you can get it working"
Bad "A lot..."
Overall "If you know what you're doing, no trouble I suppose"

So I initially ordered the high speed 25. Few days after paying TS called and said the maximum the lines in my area could support was 15/1.

The Bell tech came earlier than the time of the appointment. I only have one jack in my apartment, which is responsible for both the buzzer system and now the internet. The Bell tech set up the dry loop, and my internet wasn't working properly. The modem had not been set up for the ADSL connection and just had the default VDSL settings. So I had to call and figure that part out on my own (so much for plug in and use). The Bell technician also decided to hang out and chill in my apartment while I was on the phone for about 30 minutes...and on on top of that he ended up not installing the dry loop properly, which messed up my buzzer.

The SR505 Modem/Router combo appeared to be a good deal. $120 bucks + Shipping. Problem with that was, that the custom firmware on the machine has some issues with it that cause the unit to reset. On top of that the dry loop wasn't installed properly, so I was getting terrible speed, with terrible reliability.

So the TS customer service wasn't much help (they should really be telling people of how the unit resetting is the unit's fault and not the line's...or fix the firmware frankly). After doing some research I grabbed my own router and set the modem to do less, and let the router do all the network routing. No dropped connections thus far.

Even after the nightmare I went through figuring out it was the modem causing my connection drops, and then having my property manager take time out of his own day to come and fix Bell's terrible job at installing a dry loop, I'm still not getting the speeds I paid for.

Tech Support is telling me my modem says I can get this speed (17 000 kbps down and 1100 kbps up, on the modem's statistics page), so there must be some incredible overhead or just general, I don't even know what.

But anyhow, at this point I'm just taking what I can get, I'm really frustrated with TS, this 'modem' I bought (not worth 120 if you ask me, I can get an ADSL modem at Value Village for 5 bucks that wouldn't drop my connections.), and frustrated with Bell and the thing that frustrates me the most is the fact that they're to this day selling the SR505N, despite it not having firmware that works properly. Why sell a broken device?

So after some profile changes, I've gotten closer to my advertised speeds, 14.5 Mbit down, and 0.9 Mbit up, peaks. Regular speeds are around 12 Mbit down and 0.6 Mbit up. It's been improved but at this point I think it's the network and the lines in my buildings more than anything else. 12/.6 instead of 15/1, but the improvements have been great and we don't live in a perfect world. I'm glad that TS support here was more helpful than over the phone, and I'm also glad that they've done all they could to try and help with this issue.

The site was very informative, although it did say I could get the DSL 25 plan, when I can't.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello Irixion,

Thank you for the review. I do regret to hear there was an issue with the installation and your apartment buzzer.

We would be happy to continue to assist you with your connection if you can respond to the direct thread we have open for you.

We look forward to hearing from you »TekSavvy Direct

TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

canada

Update

Hi Irixion,

Thank you for the update on the review! I am happy that the team was able to assist you via the direct forum and get you closer to the speeds you are paying for. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us again.

Online Experience Manager

Review by benp45 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Not too expensive, works ok when it does"
Bad "Very poor service, everything depends on Bell"
Overall "Only worth it if you're willing to spend lots of time waiting after people who don't seem to care too much."

With Teksavvy's DSL service, everything depends on Bell should there be any technical problem. Problem is, not only does that take way too long before Teksavvy actually contacts Bell, but on top of that you're left with a 90$ fee should the problem be "on your end" (and who decides that, I wonder.)

Long story short, we were left without a connection for a few days and no one really seemed to care about it being re-established asap.

Comments:

TSI Andre

Hi Ben,

Thank you for posting a review. I am sad to see that you felt that no one on our end cared enough to fix your issue in a speedy fashion. We certainly do try to resolve issues as quickly as possible.

We perform troubleshooting as many issues can be resolved without the need of the incumbent on premise technician. Doing so also ensures that we cover all bases before a ticket is open as our vendors will bill us a Diagnostic fee if the issue is found to be on your end.

We do have some customers that don't care for the in the middle however it is always in the best interest of the customer that troubleshooting be performed.

I am not telling you this because I think you didn't do troubleshooting, I am saying this because many people find it to be unnecessary however it is warranted, and unfortunately does add some time (usually less than 30 minutes) to get the ball rolling.

If you could please post in the Direct forum, we would like to find out what happened on our side and where we can make things better.

Please reply here once you have done so and I will ask one of my teammates to investigate.

EDIT: You seem to have giving us a poor rating for pre-sales and coordination for the installation however you have only provided details for a repair call. Can you please elaborate or rate as N/A for those categories?

Andre
Director of Online & Operations Intelligence

TekSavvy Website | Follow Me on Twitter (@AndreCleroux)