TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by ehoni See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Kind customer service, Willing to get the work done"
Bad "Lack of updates, kinda confused"
Overall "Offline again. "

Called to get service on July 26th. Was told that I could have service by the 1st. Line dropped (my fault) and I signed up online. Some hiccups with payment, but that got worked out quickly.

July 31st received modem. Set it up and called in to see if the technician was good to go on the first. Nope. Earliest date is the 6th. No way to move that forward, either. Was informed that I would get daily updates. Received 1 email in the 5 days since, saying that Bell hasn't responded.

I understand that Teksavvy is a the mercy of Bell and their sub-contractors, but a clear channel of communication would be nice. Even if each day the email said "No response from Bell, but we will continue to check with them"

Will update to document my experiences.

August 8: Still no internet. I have been told that my service date was moved from the 1st to the 6th because of vendor delays, and that because of the vendor delays I will have to wait another 5+ days. No one seems to have a handle on when Bell will get off their rears and do something about it.

August 11: Finally Internet. Bell tech came, fixed some issues, then I was online. Those speeds, tho!

January 18: Moving, and someone decided to cut off the service early. Like, 2 weeks early... Not good at all.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Review

Hello Ehoni,

Thank you for the review. We do apologize for any delay with appointments. We are coming into our back to school season and it is our busiest time of year. Our vendors are currently delayed with their technician appointments. We do apologize for this.
In regards to communications if you can post in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct with your account information I can ensure your account manager knows you would like daily updates for your account.

If you can post your account details in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct we can assist you further.

TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

TSI Chris K
join:2013-10-25
Hello Ehoni,

Thank you for the updated review.

Glad to hear everything is back online. Feel free to reach out to us anytime!

Thanks,
Chris.

TSI ShawnS
Hello Ehoni,

I am very sorry to hear this.

Please post in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum and we can see what we can do for you.

Shawn S

Review by bryanviper See Profile

• Location: Toronto, CAN
Good "Great ISP in every way"
Bad "Not much...."
Overall "Worth the money great support, great people, Great isp"

Great Isp never had any problems, worth ever penny! Might be a few bucks more but its worth it for their support. I rather give them my money then somebody else who is starting off or to bell/rogers

Comments:

Old Martin
join:2006-02-23

Thanks for the review!

Keep them referrals coming! It's only going to help you down the line!

Martin

bryanviper

join:2002-10-12
Toronto, CAN

Re: Thanks for the review!

Another $2 discount should be applied to my account soon

Review by MacGyver See Profile

• Location: Russell,ON
Good "Great price, no contract, tech support that cares and works hard to solve problems"
Bad "At the mercy of the local telco for installation and repair, expensive service changes"
Overall "Happy to be a Teksavvy customer on IPv6"

I chose Teksavvy for my home phone and internet needs mainly because of the excellent rapport they have built here in the DSLR community.

Submitted my order over the phone, and it sure is nice to start your call by talking to a human being that cares, instead of a machine that wants to know what language of voice mail maze you would prefer. The support reps I've talked to are very knowledgable, and actually have a sense of humor!

August 8th 2009: Received my Teksavvy PPPoE login via email, and it works great. Still have a lot of hurdles to get over, mainly the question of whether I will have any interruption of internet or telephone service as my official switchover date of August 18th approaches.

August 16th 2009: It was only because my PPPoE login for Bell and Teksavvy stopped working that I called TekSavvy and found out two days before my activiation date that Bell rejected my order to transfer services to Teksavvy, for "no apparent reason." Rep restored my PPPoE login immediately. I'm somewhat disappointed I wasn't contacted by Teksavvy as soon as the order was rejected. But, to their credit, Teksavvy jumped on this right away to try and make things right - on a Sunday, no less!

August 26th 2009: There were also issues with switching long distance and local phone to Teksavvy which took a while to sort out what ended up being quite a mess, but it was worth it to be rid of two other overpriced services I had before. Long distance to Germany is 3 cents a minute now!

September 4, 2009. I received my first invoice and there was one small error. One call to Teksavvy, they cancelled the invoice and sent me a new one via email the next day! The "other guys" would have never have issued a corrected invoice, and insist on full payment of the erroneous bill, even if I threatened to cancel. Thanks for realizing the customer is always right!

October 24, 2009: Been with Teksavvy for two full months now, and the service has been rock solid. I'm totally satisfied and contract free!

June 20th 2010: I'm moving. See comment above from August 16, 2009. The exact same thing happened AGAIN. Move order cancelled for no reason, PPPoE login suspended, I only found out about it when I called tech support to find out why my connection was lost... And I haven't even moved yet! I'm extremely disappointed having to deal with this again.

June 25th 2010: Move completed. Services up and running AOK. Long distance wasn't working but one call fixed that. Hold times for tech support are getting longer.

Jan 17 2012: Download speed upgraded to 625 kb/s. But I had to fight to get it.

Mar 15 2012: New monthly package including 75GB for $30 instead of 300GB for $35 (I've never gone over 40 GB so this is perfect for me). Thanks, Teksavvy!

Nov 9 2012: Still happy!

Apr 2013: Price dropped from $29.99 to $26.99! How many companies in this day and age DROP prices for customers?

Oct 2013: Since Teksavvy lowered the Dry Loop Fee to only $5, I decided to dump my POTS service and port my existing number over to VoIP. This would save me about $32 a month. First thing was to activate a new dry DSL service on my second pair so I could have uninterrupted service, since porting my number would cancel all services associated with that number. The new dry DSL service was activated on the date agreed, Oct 18, 2013. Unfortunately with this change I had to pay $50 for a new service and the first month up front.

Nov 2013: My latest invoice had several errors due to all the recent changes I requested in my service, but posting a message in the TekSavvy Direct forum got things corrected in less than 24 hours. The Direct forum is wonderful because I can communicate with my ISP without spending valuable time on the phone.

Jul 2014: Now using IPv6 via DHCP-PD under the TekSavvy IPv6 beta program. Seems to work great so far. I'm very pleased to be a part of this pioneering effort as the available IPv4 addresses are finally starting to dwindle to the point where something has to be done.

Jul 2014: A new DSL modem allowed Teksavvy to tweak my profile to get a bit more upload and download speed. Turns out my new dry line installed in Oct 2013 is actually ADSL2+ vs the old wet ADSL line I had previously.

Jan 2015: Price going up by $3 a month, but I will have 150 GB of download instead of 75 GB. This is appreciated as my kids have discovered Netflix, and I was considering upgrading to a significantly more expensive package to get more GB allowance.

member for 13.2 years, 6291 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Serop

join:2003-06-20

nice timeline!

did not read it all though, but it's good idea to track your experience

join:2011-08-24
canada

Happy

Glad that you are still happy with us and we will continue to make you happy. If there is ever anything we can help you with you know where we are.

Thanks for the review again!

Social Media Relations Team Leader
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Old Martin
join:2006-02-23

Your November review

Hello,

Glad to see the Direct Support page was able to help you... Always glad to help you out when ever you need it.

Best Regards,
Martin

join:2011-08-24
canada

1 recommendation

Update

Thanks for updating your review. Happy to see you are enjoying our IPV6!

Review by bligh See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Reliable Service Extra features like static IP's, and subnets are wonderful"
Overall "Recommended"

Speeds have at times fluctuated in the evenings. Unlimited downloading in off peak times is very nice. IPv6 options will be nice when I decide to take the plunge. Overall very happy.

2014.12.31
I don't recall when I wrote my last review but since: Upload upload speeds have increased, they're still not at my package level However I understand, and accept the technical difficulties my distance to the DSLAM, and the infrastructures age present to provide full upload speeds.

My overall bill had gone down in price. Service continues to be reliable, and support very good when needed.

Comments:

JonF

1 recommendation

"Reliable Service Extra features like static IP's, and subn

Hello there,

We are happy that you are happy with the service. When you are ready to take the plunge to IPV6, let us know and we will accommodate you. As it is still in its beta stage, we are currently not charging for it.

Thank you for leaving your review!

Review by MUD See Profile

• Location: Cambridge,ON
Good "Great speeds"
Bad "high latency on fastpath"
Overall "Great service, value etc... overall happy customer."

What package did you order, at what advertised monthly price?
- 2x VDSL 50/10 MLPPP + Static IP @ $140/month

How was the order & install process?
Telecon Tech was quick and very good, replace line at stinger and aerial to home due to noise

What brand/model was the supplied equipment?
2x Flashed SMART RG SR505N with TSI firmware.

What good or bad experiences most struck you?
Only issue I been having is the high latency. I've been a happy customer since 2001.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

review

Hello MUD,

Thank you for the review. Happy to hear your enjoying the service. Happy to hear the technician was efficient. If you are noticing high latency on your connection please message us in the direct forum so we can investigate further. We are always happy to help.

Thank you again for the review.

TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

Review by atmx093 See Profile

• Location: Gatineau,QC
Good "Fast, affordable and reliable cable in Quebec. Unbeatable if you have a little background in networking."
Bad "Installation had to be paid upfront. Would have prefered paying AFTER installation like most other companies do."
Overall "Once you're past the sales part which is meh, you're in for some good times. Tech support is A+."

Had a highly unreliable DSL service through TSI, so decided to switch to cable because I was fed up.

Everybody was very friendly, but the sales part was a big letdown. First off, I was never let on that I was going to have to pay for the installation RIGHT NOW otherwise the order wouldn't be placed. I don't like paying for an installation that hasn't even occurred yet and with almost all providers, you pay for the installation AFTER the fact. I believe this practice is in conflict with l'Office de la Protection du Consommateur's rules, but oh well, I was desperate to get off DSL so I swallowed the pill and moved on.

The tech who came to do the install left immediately after the wiring was done. Didn't care that the connection worked or not, he was mandated to leave the premises as soon as wiring was completed. Of course the connection didn't work. He needed to use a splitter which he set up all kinds of wrong. I had to fix the problem myself.

The connection works like a charm, hasn't gone down a single time whereas my DSL by now would have crashed at least 50 times. The best thing? I now pay a little over HALF what I used to pay for my crappy DSL. I'll have my install covered well within a year!

-------------------

As of December 2014, the connection is still working great and apart from router or modem hiccups, I have yet to see it go down. Occasional slowdowns during peak hours, but nothing to complain about. TSI is still #1 for this guy.

Comments:

TSI Alan

Review

Thank you for your feedback.

Our apologies that the pre-pay install policy was not made clear at the time you placed your order, and the onsite tech did not confirm that the connection was operational before leaving. That is not the typical TekSavvy experience we strive to provide for our customers.

Good to hear that the cable connection has proved to be more stable for you.

Let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Review by s0dhi See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Inexpensive, fast, decent bandwidth."
Bad "Horrible installation process - full of issues and hiccups."
Overall "Worth the $$$ if you can handle some instability and delays in support."

The installation process was awful with missed appointments, incorrect hardware shipped, etc; however, this was largely Bell's doing and not Teksavvy's.

After the first week, there has been an hour of downtime which I don't have a reason for at this time. Otherwise the connection has been stable and fast.

UPDATE: Nov. 10, 2011

I did suffer through ~4 days of downtime due to some issues at the remote.

I have had to report at least 3 tickets for this issue. The first was mistakenly closed by someone because they transposed the date and thought it to be an old issue (8/11 vs. 11/8) The second call resulted in a "fix" that lasted a couple of hours before the connection went down again. The third call made yesterday (Wednesday) resulted in someone coming out this evening to resolve the issue.

All in all, a much longer path to resolution than I would have liked, but at least the issue has been resolved and communication from TSI excellent.

UPDATE: Mar. 3, 2013

Everything has been running rock solid since the the last review. I'm thoroughly satisfied with Teksavvy's offering and today placed the order to upgrade to the 50/10 service.

UPDATE: Apr. 12, 2013

There were some issue with the upgrade to 50/10 in that:
1) Bell scheduled the work to be completed a a week from the order date. (kind of a long lead time to switch a profile)
2) Bell marked the upgrade ticket completed without actually doing anything
3) I had to open a ticket with Teksavvy to have Bell to get the original work performed
4) Bell arbitrarily set the profile such that I could only test at 46Mbps downstream
5) I had to open a ticket with TSI to correct this profile, but Bell refused to acknowledge the issue
5) I had to escalate the speed issue with TSI so that my profile would be set as it is for other TSI customers
6) TSI came through and got the profile set correctly

Since that ordeal, the connection has been rock solid and fast. It tests at just over 50/10 using speedtest.net

Comments:

TSI Alan

April 12, 2013 Service Review

Hello,

Thank you for your latest update and feedback.

We do apologize for the rough spots in your recent upgrade to the 50/10 DSL service.
We also appreciate your understanding that some of the issues were beyond our control.

However, know that we will always do whatever we can to make things right for our customers!

Alan
s0dhi

join:2011-08-02
Brampton, ON
·TekSavvy DSL

Re: April 12, 2013 Service Review

Alan,

TSI has been great and the day-to-day service is excellent. The connection has been reliable and fast.

The only time I've had issues, they have been related to Bell.

• Initial install botched and appointments missed - took about 2 weeks to clear up
• Connection downtime resolved by Bell after 3 support calls created
• Bell mandated rental Cellpipe modem spontaneously rebooting due to firmware bug - took 6 months for Bell to address and resolve
• Upgrade from 25/10 to 50/10 - two weeks to clear up
• Bell mandated Sagemcom modem won't do a true bridge mode and is limited to 35Mbps downstream - Bell is forcing the rental of this POS with the 50Mbps service
• Bell mandated Sagemcom modem goes into a pseudo online state where it is online but doesn't actually function - I'm told is resolved with power cycling - hardly reliable

Since the Cellpipe issue was severely impacting my consulting work (I work from a home office every day conference calls dropped, connections dropped), I went out and purchased a ZyXEL P-870 VDSL modem and having been using that since January 2012.

Note: I have been forced to pay $8/month to rent crap, buggy, locked, defective modems - this issue still hasn't been addressed - either deliver working, reliable hardware, or let me use my own (without taking $8/month from me).

Anyhow,TSI has been great - Bell, lobbyists, & the CRTC, not so much.

TSI Danielle
join:2012-05-31

Re: April 12, 2013 Service Review

Hi Kev,

Thanks for the update on your review. I can totally understand your frustration with the modem rental issue. We are working on getting that mandatory rental removed as part of the service, but we don't have a timeline yet on that. Just know we are working on it.

I'm glad that the service with us has been good and consistent on our side. I apologize for the difficulties along the way when dealing with vendor issues. We'd definitely like things to go more smoothly.

Again, thank you for keeping your review updated. We appreciate knowing when things are going well and when they're not.

Danielle
TSI Danielle
Social Media Relations
Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Review by heyyahblah See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Excellent service, knowledgeable support staff, installed on time, great price, good reliability"
Overall "Greatest ISP for xDSL Services - Cable not so reliable. (Don't recommend) But I would recommend xDSL 100%"

Hey,

Well, I have been a member on DSL REPORTS for a long time now, and I figured I owe it to leave a review about my experiences with Teksavvy ISP.

I was first made aware of Teksavvy ISP in 2008 from a friend that was currently using their ADSL services. At that time I was a Rogers cable customer since 2000 for internet, and service was always fine and reliable with them. But what made ROGERS lose my business was what they pulled in 2008. I was on a 7/512k package, Rogers decided to increase my internet price & modem rental fee and cap my internet at 60GB. I heard that Teksavvy was offering 5/800 ADSL service with a 200GB cap (I can't remember now) for $17 less/month then my current cable internet service at that time. So I said to myself "hey I'll give it a try" ... and thus the TSI story begins.

Early 2009: Called & ordered Teksavvy ADSL 5/800 service. I notified TSI that I already had a DSL modem (ST516) as per recommendation by TSI and DSL REPORTS users, and micro-filters. I was given the information on the activation date and instructions on how to use & configure the modem and how to install the micro-filters to separate my wet-loop phone from the ADSL signal to not get interference. I was told about the required visit of a BELL technician and when to be home. Date of install, BELL called notified me that the service was activated at the remote and I was ready to use DSL. I believe this was beginning of February 2009. I still kept my Rogers connection active as a backup in case the DSL would not work properly at my residence.

Skip ahead to March-April 2009: Service was working great for a few weeks, until I started to notice some speed slowdowns. This was when my first call to Teksavvy support was made in 2009. I had a great tech that helped me troubleshoot everything. The computer, the modem, testing all the jacks, even testing at the demarcation point and nothing. Problem wasn't able to be fixed. So he recommended opening a ticket with BELL, informed me they might charge $90 if they find nothing wrong, and gave me a 2 day estimate for when the BELL TECH should show up. I said, hell I'll take the risk because it doesn't seem like its a problem with my hardware or lines.

Day of ticket: BELL comes (as scheduled), tested my demarc outside and inside the house and all was OK. The tech went to the remote & noticed there was noise/errors at the port. Basically he said the port that I was plugged into at the remote was faulty. He swapped me to another port, re-activated my DSL service on the new port and took off, all was well. So it was a BELL issue and Teksavvy managed to fix that for me. Great first time support by their staff, I was very impressed with their knowledge and that the support was local (Ontario) and in the same country (Canada) with English speaking representatives. None of this out sourcing crap. Great job TSI staff. Also, after the port switch the BELL tech placed me on a 6016/800 (business) profile, so I was getting my full 5mbps ... yay ... I was one of the lucky ones, lol.

So then I cancelled Rogers and from 2009 - 2012, I enjoyed the ADSL 6/800k service I was receiving from Teksavvy. The up-time was fantastic, and the only time the service went down was when BELL was doing maintenance on their lines, then it would effect all DSL customers. When Teksavvy had to do maintenance they would send out a mass email days in advance and let users know of service interruptions. Best part was that TSI would usually be doing the maintenance during the late night hours when everyone was sleeping as to not effect a majority of users that need to be online. A very good job there. Very professional service.

2012: Finally in 2012, after much fighting with CRTC & UBB & BELL, etc ... Teksavvy was finally able to offer ADSL2+ tiers. Time for an upgrade ... finally. To shove UBB & CAPS down bibic's throat. TSI Rocky also decided to bump everyone's data cap to 300GB/month. A very kind gesture to all the Teksavvy users. If Rocky had enough bandwidth to share to everyone being an IISP, then there was no reason for BIG 3 to enforce data caps & insane prices on all users. But hey, Canadian monopoly internet, what can you do.

So, a few new packages were being offered in 2012 and I decided to upgrade to 12/1 ADSL2+ from my current 6/800k ADSL service. I called Teksavvy, placed my upgrade order to 12/1 300GB cap. I was told I had to pay an activation fee (a bs charge from BELL) and I would get a visit from BELL & Indy TELCO guy. Well day of install, setup went grand. BELL called as usual on time, and said my service was activated. TELCO guy ... (no clue who he was) ... I guess he was for a pots splitter or something but he never came. (Just giving full details here, sorry). Nothing bad happened, my service was upgraded & activated and I continued using micro-filters on my lines just as I did before. I had to change nothing. Service was up and running smooth.

Now, here comes the funny part. So BELL at this point, I guess was being bitter now that Indy ISP's had access to new tiers at better prices. When I was activated on the 12/1 ADSL2+ service, BELL ... actually pathetically put me on a 12/1 profile. Meaning with the %DSL overhead loss I was only getting 9.5M/800k ... lol. Wow talk about low balers at BELL. Really sad to do this to indy ISP's.

I called Teksavvy support and explained to them the situation. The Teksavvy tech at the time said that my line stats looked great. I had an up to rating of 20mbps sync on my ADSL2+ line and yes it indeed was a shame that BELL did that low blow with the profile settings. They told me there is nothing Teksavvy can do because BELL controls the profile settings and that it was a real shame that they did that. Well, I was not going to have it!! I asked the tech nicely to put in a request to BELL to bump my profile so I could achieve full 12M as promised. He said he would send in the request but told me BELL has the right to refuse/reject and not to bump it up, considering that DSL is an up-to service. LOL. Shame on BELL.

Teksavvy support, being as great as they are ... worked some of their magic and BELL re-synced my profile to 14/1 ... so that after the %DSL overhead loss I was getting full 12M/1 speeds. Great job Teksavvy! I was proud that they were able to do this for me and bump up my internet service to get what I was paying for. I was really pleased.

Six months later from 2012 install date: Some crtc changes and updates and such. Teksavvy was able to offer lower prices for their xDSL services and more speed. My 12/1 package went from $41.99/month to $32.99 a month ($10 less) and a free speed increase to 15/1 speeds ... 3 megs more. Speed increase and savings, really impressed at Teksavvy. I also believe at this point they started offering unlimited downloads between 2am-8am. That was great of them to offer as well. Fantastic.

October 2014: Well after enjoying years of 15/1 ADSL2+ service with a great price and cap I decided I wanted higher speeds and called in to Teksavvy and asked to upgrade my 15/1 300GB service to 50/10 VDSL2 service.

The rep on the phone explained everything to me. I was explained that I would need to purchase a VDSL2 modem, recommended from Teksavvy, which I agreed to. I also was informed of a $50 activation fee on part of Bell's behalf and the price for 1 month of service. I was also informed that I would be credited back for any overlapping service from my old tier to my new tier. I was also given 2 install dates for a BELL technician to show up, as Teksavvy makes the request and BELL decides when they will send the tech. Everything was explained to me properly and all the information about accounting, tech requests, show up dates, bill payments were sent to me via email. I received all information of when to be home, explanation of invoices and so forth. Very professionally done and I understood everything.

If anyone complains about not being properly informed during an install procedure, then I'm sorry you must be feeble minded because the information/explanations I received to my inbox was great. Everything was properly explained over the phone and in the emails sent to me.

Day of install:

November 10, 2014: Bell technician calls and shows up on time as promised. He makes the appropriate changes at my DSLAM/remote and requests access into my home/basement to the bell panel. I let him in and he installs the POTS splitter and splits my wet-loop and puts my VDSL signal on my 2nd pair, thus removing the need for the micro-filters. He asked me if I wanted to leave the modem their in the basement and I said no I would like the jack on the 2nd floor wired please. Since I had a wet-loop/fax in that room I purchased a RJ-11 dual face-plate jack for the wall. The tech came up and brought my VDSL signal into the room and tested for signal. He then bumped my profile to 50/10, plugged in my TSI modem we checked for internet, verified speed and he left. He also showed me how to wire the dual rj-11 jack so I could get wet-loop/fax and VDSL in my office, which was nice of him so I wired my jack, labeled it and boom good to go. After he left I got a confirmation email from Teksavvy stating that a technician had visited my home and completed the installation and my service was good to go. If any problems to contact them. Great job Teksavvy. Service was up and running.

But, as per usual with Bell's laziness my VDSL profile was set to 50/7. I was told by the BELL TECH that due to distance and old copper lines/noise that 50/7 is the best I would get. Which, wasn't a problem for me as I was happy for full d/l speed service and everything running smoothly.

Here is where it gets even better ... On a totally unrelated matter, I was asking questions about wifi and routers on the Teksavvy support/direct forum. Since the review here says not to mention staff names without permission, I will just go about and say that on a totally unrelated matter, TSI support staff members took a look at my line stats and it showed them that my upload RCO signal was only at 64%. Which, was explained to me that I was able to qualify for the full 50/10 service. Hmm ... doesn't that sound again like BELL being lazy to Indy ISP's?? I think so. So .... without me even asking, TSI Staff bumped my profile to a full 50/10 profile service, and explained that the line stats looked great on their end, and to just keep an eye on sync issues, but I shouldn't have any as my upload RCO was at 85% on the 10M ul profile.

So since then, I have been enjoying my 50/10 VDSL service ... with consistent up-time (1 month now) and very low latency 6~7ms on speedtests, and great low ping with near to no jitter (2~4ms) depending on servers. The latency has been really great. I am very satisfied with their service and with my connection.

Come February 2015 ... I will be a 6 year member on TSI internet services, and I have to say aside from scheduled maintenance either by BELL (random without notification) or by Teksavvy (with advanced noticed to customers and minimal downtime) I have been overall pleased with the up-time of my internet connection and the support service staff that try and help troubleshoot issues when they arise. For the most part in the last 6 years I have yet to experience a line issue (knock on wood). Any problems I had with slow speeds (3 separate occasions) over the last 6 years have been the direct result of BELL maintenance problems. Once for faulty port connection and the other 2 were for widespread line/server/dslam/routing issues that were beyond the control of TSI. Otherwise the internet has been stable and behaves like it should.

Thus far I have been really satisfied with TSI support and services offered and support from users on this forum, they also are a big help and deserve credit as well, thank you. GREAT JOB TSI!! KEEP IT UP!!

SIDE NOTE:

Also I would also like to apologize by putting in the (Bottom line) about TSI CABLE not being reliable, even though this is a DSL review, but I have a friend (who wants to remain anonymous on here) that lives a block away from me (who is on the same POI as my neighbour on ROGERS) and I recommended him TSI CABLE, since he wanted out of the Rogers loop. Well his constant problematic service has been driving him to the point of insanity, leaving him with no option but to either try VDSL with a dryloop from TSI or unfortunately give up and go back to Rogers. Sorry TSI, he complains to me all the time about it and I had to share.

===================================================

Hardware used over the years:

ADSL & ADSL2+

router: WRT1900AC

All the best,

-blah

member for 5.9 years, 290 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Alan

Thanks For Your Review

Hi blah,

Thank you for your thoughtful and insightful review. It is greatly appreciated!

It is long-term dedicated customers like you that inspire us to do our best each day.

Sorry to hear your friend has had issues with his cable connection. Based on your positive experiences with DSL over the years, he may want to consider changing platforms. We would be happy to help him with that!

Have a great day.

Review by TypeS See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Faster & better than Bell, cheaper, excellent technical and frontline staff"
Bad "Reliance on Bell for installation and first mile repair, takes longer for repairs"
Overall "Save money and no pulling out hairs to talk to someone at the company"

·TekSavvy Cable
I originally became a TekSavvy customer on a DSL 5/6Mbps package in 2009 before they became a TPIA a few year later. After a slight delay caused by activation of my POTS # with them as well, I had that DSL for 3 years without any hiccups. Can't remember any long outages. Experienced some weird drops but was typically great talking to their technical support back then. There was no install fee and I paid something like $32 after taxes for unlimited.

In 2012 I got TPIA cable (28MB/s then 45MB/s, my review is here: »/comment/86729) since the move fee of $65 was the same as the TPIA install fee. My TPIA connection is now with Start Communications because of the x/10Mbps packages they had in 2013 that no one else did.

I now have a 15/1 FTTN connection as second connection/backup since everything on my home relies on the internet now (VoIP, streaming boxes, online gaming, etc). TSI Andre helped me get the order, paid for the installation and first month with an agent on the phone. Easy enough

A week later, Bell tech shows up around 10AM for my 8AM-12PM installation. He was polite and took the time to do all the work necessary. Spent about 10 minutes at the Bell demarcation point outside. My condo has a really old Nortel NID but turned out it didn't need replacing. After that he installed a POTS splitter in at cabling panel in the basement and then asked where I wanted the modem. I had a unterminated jack that he wired up and screwed a plate on. My TD-8818 modem from the DSL 5/6 days was dead, so he took the time to show me on his testing tool that I got 17/1 sync and good ping back to Bell's IP network. All in all about 25 ~ 30 minutes and it was all done.

Purchased a D-Link DSL-520B on the way to work the same day, plugged it in over the weekend, authenticated and have been getting full speeds ever since. Have it for about 7 weeks now and it has not dropped sync or authentication. As stable a service as I remember from a few years ago.

The $50 install does sting and 4 hour install windows that straddle my full time job aren't that great but once installed, it's a great service.

With growth, I would say TSI's only shortcoming is not having consistently awesome technical. Years ago, would always get someone confident and competent. From the last few months that I had TPIA cable, it felt a lot more like newer staff were just reading scrips or relying heavily on some form of standard troubleshooting. As network/sys admin, I understand the need for logical troubleshooting but it often feels as some technical staff are crutching on it and don't fully understand the testing they're asking. But that's probably to be expected, technologically incline people will not line up to work an entry level job as front line phone agent. Just hard as someone who remembers the earlier years of TSI to not make the comparison.

But their DSL Reports team definitely makes up for it. As someone who has back up internet connection from either another provider or an LTE hotspot, I have no trouble reaching out on the their Direct Support forum (»TekSavvy Direct) for assistance. I find the experience a lot better than calling their support line. So props to TSI Martin, Andre, Elizabeth, ShawnS, Jhn, etc.

Overall, I am still pleased with TekSavvy as a company and still recommend them (along with Start) to friends and family that ask. My only suggestion is that they adopt optional renting of modems.

member for 2.1 years, 1155 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
join:2008-06-03

Thanks!

Thanks for updating your review and for your continued support and contribution to this forum!

Cheers,

Andre

Review by Phibian See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Excellent customer service, cutting edge services (MLPPP), reasonable prices"
Overall "Best ISP I've found so far"

Upgrading to a dual (MLPPP) 25/10 DSL connection. Lots of time on the phone getting it all sorted out but that was mainly because of the complexity of my setup. No issues upgrading lines so far and wow is 25/10 fast! Combined I'm getting 50/20. Also worth noting that TSI support was so friendly it was amazing. Also they've now dropped the price more than once and increased the caps and speed!

member for 5.6 years, 1341 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

Re: Review

Hello Phibian,

Thank you for your review!

Upgrading to a dual (MLPPP) 25/10 DSL connection is a big feat . A lot of preparation is involved. It is all worth while knowing that you will get a 50/20 connection in the end. If you have any questions or require assistance please feel free to either post in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum or call an agent at 1-877-779-1575.

Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON

Router hardware

What router hardware are you using, out of curiosity?

Phibian

join:2009-06-01
Ottawa, ON

Re: Router hardware

1U intel box running Debian Linux.