Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1932 reviews (1456 good) (142 bad)

Review by lapsarian See Profile

• Location: Wappingers Falls,Dutchess,NY

Pay extra fro higher speeds that are never obtained.

Comments:

RedCaliSS
join:2004-08-21
Murrieta, CA

1 recommendation

Vague

well this is a very vague review. how about telling us some more? what package you have. whats the advertised speed Verizon claims you are suppose to get and why not post some speedtest.net results?
Everyone I know that has FIOS has always gotten more then they pay for
on the download, as well as numerous people here posting speedtest results
that clearly show 5-10Mpbs above what they are paying for. something about this review seems very suspicious.
what steps have you taken with Verizon to fix the supposedly slow speeds?

Review by AvgConsumer See Profile

• Location: Herndon,Fairfax,VA
Good "WAN connect speed"
Bad "Customer service, support for Standard STB, tech support"
Overall "If you can get another TV system, DO-IT!"

The new Verizon software v1.9 for standard SetTopBoxes is HORRIBLE! It is EXTREMELY SLOW and doesn't come close to the ease of use that v1.8 did. I have my controller set show "favorites" when I press the Guide button. Under v1.8, the guide would display with the channel I was watching highlighted. Now, it

displays showing a channel 1, 2 or more channels up from the channel I am viewing. (Ex. Channels 5, 7 & 9 are set as favorites and you are watching 9. When "favorites" are set to toggle, and you press guide, the display shows that channel 5 is highlighted.) If you have an HD STB and set it the same way, when you select Guide, the channel you are watching displays as the selected channel in the guide.

Verizon doesn't report this to their tech support(less) because they don't want to acknowledge the POOR SOFTWARE PROGRAMMING! They want to SELL YOU SOMETHING YOU DON'T NEED! Why would I want to be charged an additional $11 a month for a STB that doesn't work for my standard screen? What did Verizon says about updating the software to work? "No plans to, it works the way its works..."

Verizon needs to SUPPORT its products! Verizon - The NEW "MA BELL". They know what's best for you...

Comments:

WileEC
mindtaker, macky cat, etc.

join:2002-02-07
Yonkers, NY

Sorry, but the new guide is pretty damn good

I have no issues such as what is described here and I have HD and non-HD TVs. I find the new guide to be quick and clean. The new guide is not perfect, but this review is certainly not indicative of a typical experience.

Review by brandon_hawkes

• Location: The Colony,Denton,TX
Good "internet speed"
Bad "Customer Service and Tech Support"
Overall "Get it together"

For the first 5 months of service, I had to call and correct my billing. Every bill I was overcharged $20(as if the service wasn't already overpriced) for some game service I never agreed to and every month, they would take it off and said I would not have to worry about the charges again. Like I said, this went on for 5 months before they got it straight. As far as the service, it was good until it came time for me to move and I did not want to pay for Verizon at my new location. January 24, 2001, I paid my last ridiculous bill and called to have my service ended at THE END OF MY BILLING CYCLE.... NOT THE DAY THAT I PLACED THE CALL!! Lady asked me when I wanted to sent the box in; I asked her when is the billing cycle that I have paid through ended. She replied with February 16th, I said I will send it in on the 15th because I want the service that I paid for through the time allowed. When I got home that day, my service was cut off. I called again and after a painful experience on the phone with tech support and billing, I was told the service is canceled and the only thing they could do was schedule a "temporary service" which means have another installation set up and then have to cancel all over again on the 16th. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever come across. I’m switching back to AT&T Uverse, I love it the only reason I switched was because my area was FIOS only. I will NEVER have anything Verizon ever again!

(review was emailed from domain yahoo.com)

Comments:

Mel

@verizon.net

Worse ever

There staff needs more training. They keep charging me for telphone and cable every month and all I have is the internet. I will NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER have VErizon Fios again. WORSE COMPANY (besides T-Mobile) that I have ever dealt with

Review by shawn744 See Profile

• Location: Saddle River,Bergen,NJ
Good "SPEED SPEED SPEED!! Inexpensive, reliable and maintenance FREE!!"
Bad "Disgusting tech support, and customer service...i mean DISGUSTING. They can never do anything right."
Overall "A really solid, speedy, set it and forget it internet amd HDTV service."

UPDATE 1-7-12: Reading my last post was pretty funny. I've dumped FiOS for good as of two weeks ago. Went with Optimum instead. I'm saving an avg of $165/mo with only losing my premium movie channels and one cable box. I got SO sick of paying $225/mo PLUS another $30/mo for Vonage. FiOS quality is superb and should not be mistaken for any other provider. Just depends where your interests lie. If you have a fam with kids and everyones TV hungry, then go for it you'll love it. Me? I stopped watching premium channels and only watch the family cable channels so it worked out. Enjoy!

Update 4-25-10: Okayy well after being incorrectly billed since January, Verizon FiOS will not even honor the deal or price they gave me back in January. Their voice service which was supposed to be $23/mo ended up being offered to me again when I called about the billing problem at $60/mo. So i cancelled the service and I'm going back to Vonage. Can't wait! All we need to do now is wait for a better HD and Web service to come around so I can dump Verizon for good!

UPDATE 2-10-10: Its been more than a month after my voice service has been active and once again verizon has proved to be useless. After activation, they never sent me a bill, never combined my payment with my TV and Internet bill, and DID NOT bump me up to the 25/15 service i was promised with this new triple play. Not only that, but I have no record of voice installation, or that I even have the service active, no way to check my call activity online, and when I send emails to ask about this issues, they refer me to the call center, where NO ONE answers the phone. I just called in now because I finally had some time, and the call centers are closed due to an "emergency"....i hope they don't mean these flakes we got today. As soon as something with equal or better quality comes to my attention, I'm dropping this garbage company as my utility company. Dealing with their ignorance is unbelievably nauseating. STAY AWAY.

December 28th 2009 UPDATE: Well after about four years of FIOS service i couldn't be happier. I now have all three services with verizon FIOS. TV, Internet, and as of 1/8/10, i'll have unlimited VOIP phone service also. Everything is great with all three services and every premium channel available my bill is just over $200/mo, and that's for 5 HDTVs with DVRs. I must also add that customer service still remains TERRIBLE...i mean DISGUSTINGLY TERRIBLE. If they didn't have good products and the best picture and easily accessible equipment for my current home conditions, not only would I cancel in a heartbeat, but I would sue and refuse to pay. I think about their tech support, customer service, ability to reach ANYONE, and the accessability of their online customer page and I get nauseous. if you have a tech support issue or want to add service be prepared with a coffee and newspaper to wait for these guys to answer the phones...i can't believe how VERIZON of all companies has issues with getting someone on the other end of the phone.... I'm even getting my internet bumped up to 25/15 because of adding phone service. I recently swapped two of my regular boxes to DVRs and they both came defective and were not able to be activated.... then they sent the wrong replacement boxes...things like this should be expected.

7/20/07 UPDATE-- I can tell an ISP is good when i get trouble free service and forget about what i have. I have been getting 100% blazing speeds, i'm actually paying $39 a month not $44 or $49 as stated in the first review post. I dont know why i'm being charged $39 instead of $49 i think its because somehow there was confusion in the order and i got one of the lower tier internet plans instead of one of the highest. Still the speeds are much much much much faster than with Optimum Online cable. No modems to reset and play with after a power outage, i dont have to come back and reset things...just trouble free constant service. Still haven't figured out how to use my own router...lol...but theirs works just fine with great range.

After my kick butt service with FiOS internet, i subscribed to FiOS TV when it came out in my area, and have had trouble-free service with THAT service also...i will review that separately one day. All in all, for $39/mo it is a great buy. I am very happy with it. I recommend it to everyone. Oh...customer service is terrible....once i tried to reach them to ask about my second bill because it was higher than usual (it was prorated) and i swear that i tried to contact them about internet and tv bill from 10 am to 3pm. I was just with my friends and every 10 mins i would call them and i promise i couldn't reach ANYONE for around 6 hours...i only got "hints" from people from sales....never did get anyone from billing. So....yeah. But its the kind of service that you dont really need to talk to tech support or cust. service. And since i only made one attempt to reach them, i dont want to lower the review rating...everyone and every company has their bad days. Thanks for reading everyone. Good luck. -Shawn

Well

Hello all! Its been a while since i've changed internet services but on 12/11/06 i decided i couldn't deal with Optimum Online anymore. Between the service, modem, and especially the billing issues, i thought it was time to move on.

I ordered Verizon FiOS (20DL/5UL) online and i was suprised when i saw how early they could come and install it. It could have been done 2 days after but i had an appointment then. The installer called me and let me know very kindly that he will be coming along within 30-45 mins. When he came he was very very helpful giving me advice and he didnt get right to work he made sure to find the best possible spot to install everything and run wires. It is hard to explain the installation details but the installer even managed to run the CAT5 wires where i used to have it UNDERNEATH my second layer of shingles on the side of the roof. He did such a good job hiding all the wires, i have honestly never experienced such a clean install. Oh yeah and installation time was from 10AM to about 2PM.

After the install we set everything up. The only thing i didnt like is you have to download a verizon program that "activates" the service but at the same time puts things i dont want in my computer. Like Internet Explorer VERIZON FiOS customizations and stuff. Which is okay i have to reformat that computer anyway.

After setup i did some DSLR speed tests and wowzer, i was running even faster than the advertised speed that i ordered. I usually run about 22000/4900. I just checked the verizon FiOS page and saw that the monthly price has been raised to $49.99 for my service package. I dont know if that will be the actual price. This must be something new but it is still a good value. I get like 9 email accounts and a static ip too i believe.

I am waiting until my 1 year contract on my DirecTV service is up then i am switching to Verizon FiOS TV. It seems with their On Demand and channel lineups that is a much better value as well.

Thanks for reading! -Shawn

Comments:

Review by danfrompa See Profile

• Location: Ambler,Montgomery,PA
Good "good and reliable internet speed thus far"
Bad "horrible customer service, horrible installation job, unprofessional and rude claim department"
Overall "not recommended"

I placed an order for Verizon FIOS three weeks ago.

The installation:
The first thing Verizon did before installing a box in my house is running the necessary wire to the house. They use a heavy duty machine to bury the fios wire under my lawn. They just do this without any sort of process to detect if there were any important wires or tubes sitting underground. Unfortunately when they did this, they also busted my underground electrical wires and tubes. I did not find out about these busted wire until a week or so after the fios installation was completed.

The customer service:
When I did find out about these busted wires, I gave Verizon a call. They took down the case in their system, and said that their repair/claim/insurance department will call us back. A week after, we received no call back from Verizon. So we gave Verizon a second call. This time around a person did give us a call back. The Verizon personnel was unprofessional and rude.

Beside the installation process and the very long wait time on the phone with customer service, our FIOS internet is running very smoothly.

Summing it up:
If you are willing to put up with lousy installation that could potentially break other parts of your home, rude and unprofessional repair/claim/insurance department, and very long wait time on the phone trying to connect with Verizon customer service then Verizon FIOS is a good option.

If you can't, then only choose FIOS if it is your only option.

Comments:

Review by nlocklin See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA
Good "The installation went ok"
Bad "The service gets disconnected every other week"
Overall "Not impressed so far"

My installation went fairly smoothly. It took a long time, but there weren't any problems and the technician was able to get me up and running that day. When it is working, the speeds have been good - about 3 or 4 times faster than what I was used to with Comcast. That was the good part of my FiOS experience.

The bad part came the next week when all of a sudden the service was completely disconnected. After four hours on the phone with tech support, they agreed to dispatch a technician the next day. As it turns out, somehow my cable had gotten disconnected at the hub in my neighborhood. This scenario repeated itself several times. At one point, I happened to spot a Verizon truck near the hub when this happened, and I talked to the technician who was setting up new service for a neighbor. His thought was that the cable was getting knocked loose whenever a tech opened up the hub to do work. Sounds like a reasonable explanation, but it happens too often and takes too long to get reconnected.

I'm going to give it a little while longer to give it a fair trial, but so far I'm thinking that for all of the problems that I had with Comcast, their service was a little bit more dependable.

member for 13.5 years, 2647 visits, last login: 2.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by barterpc See Profile

• Location: Jersey City,Hudson,NJ
Good "Fast Internet, Great TV, ok Phone Service(Horrible phone bill)"
Bad "Horrible billing on phone, tons of unaccounted fees, Requires Router and FIOS box (the FIOS box takes alot of Juice, $40/mo)"
Overall "Great for TV & Internet when it works. But phone service has loads of hidden fees and customer care is awful when you need it."

FIOS only makes sense if you upgraded from Throwing your money away on a regular phone line with DSL. The glass/PVC fibre line suffers interference in strong storms. The rates are Baseband (True Digital, Binary) via Fibreoptic and therefore suffer from loads of throttle in the bandwidth. To put it mildly in testing Comcast and FiOS side by side I notice a 25% greater lag due to throttle in large bandwidth items (Games, Videos, and so on) with FiOS than Comcast. This means delivery although faster can be choppier and at times unbelievably lagged.

Forget about the big box they hook up to your wall. Alone this can add an extra $20 - $40 of electricity charges per month. Which in addition to their phone service can greatly add to your sticker shock. Don't expect to get all the discounts, and rebates promised either. Fast service is fantasy with FiOS. Even without problems it can take one to two weeks, with problems it can take 1-2 months or more. They even had problems doing a simple phone number port (which is probably when I should have turned and ran). If a phone company doesn't know how to handle phone number porting it's not a good sign.

All in all if the could make fibre cables out of a material less effected by physical motion, and cut out the in home fibre power station (also Battery Backup for Phone) it would work. But as it stands it really isn't that well thought out yet and has too many problems to boot. Maybe in 2015 or 2020. Meanwhile I'm back at Comcast and might check out Clear for a month. Got modem so I don't need a contract. Just do a month of basic home service. See if it goes well.

Comments:
qwertyasd9

join:2005-03-13
Galesville, MD

This review should be disregarded- Reviewer is clueless

First of all, power consumption of the ONT is all wrong. I just plugged it into my kill-a-watt. It was 30 watts at first because it was boosting up the backup battery. Once the battery was charged, it used 15 watts. Even at the highest rates, this would be about $2 a month.

Now, about interference. The only thing that can influence a photon inside the fiber would be something super massive like a black hole. We have none here and I'm sure New Jersey doesn't either.

WileEC
mindtaker, macky cat, etc.

join:2002-02-07
Yonkers, NY

1 recommendation

Re: This review should be disregarded- Reviewer is clueless

New Jersey IS a black hole.

Review by TechieZero See Profile

• Location: Riverview,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Reliable Connection"
Bad "Horrific Customer Service"
Overall "Gone Down Hill"

Luckily I was home the day an installer showed up on a different day of my install appointment, albeit it was an earlier day.

However if you like companies that have terrible billing issues (their software could not include my entire mailing address), LONG (over a 1/2 hour with frequent drops) waits to speak to someone who can help. I find it amazing that you can walk in to a Verizon "plus" center - yet you have to use a telephone to go through the same confusing phone maze and then the long wait times!!!

Frequent attempts to fix an issue after an issue was supposed to be fixed (with more waits), unclear charges...then to top it off after several attempts to cancel the service --- Verizon would continue to bill me even AFTER I returned the equipment...

I never thought I would say this --- but thank god there is competition like Bright House.

As far as the connection is concerned, the service worked fine and was reliable although I get better bandwidth with cable! Sad, they have lost me as a customer.

Comments:

Review by pollyana2 See Profile

• Location: Thousand Oaks,Ventura,CA
Bad "Verizon Fios bundle was a big mistake"

I have had Verizon Fios bundle for a week. It was the biggest mistake I have made in a long time. It started off with the salesman leaving out some very important information when he convinced me to sign up for the new service being installed in my area. Like I have to dial the area code even in my immediate area and there is a per minute charge for all the calls in addition to the regular monthly fee. Most of the information was in small print on the back of the order but I thought he had given me all the information I needed. The salesman also gave me his phone number but when I tried to call it I got a message that said my call could not be completed. He told me I would get the first 30 days free if I signed up right away. I need the 30 days because one of my two phone lines has not worked since the day they did the installation. The installer told me he would call me the next day to make sure everything was working OK. He didn't and it isn't. My internet shuts off regularly and doesn't seem any faster then the old cheaper service I had. Today that cost me a big penalty because I needed to file my sales tax with the state of California via the internet but it wasn't working and no matter what I did I could not get it to work. I finally got a phone number to call and was on hold for over 30 minutes. It took another 30 minutes for the customer service to get it up and working. By then it was after midnight and I got hit with a 10% penalty. He blamed my computer but my computer had not had any changes made to it and he was able to get it working eventually. It took 7 hours for them to do the installation and if the massive equipment they put on the outside wall is any indication then it is going to take a long time for the old company to reinstall my old service. Make sure you read the small print!

pollyana

Comments:

Review by MrRich617 See Profile

• Location: Belmont,Middlesex,MA
Good "When it works at all the speed is decent but not as advertised"
Bad "Its not working now and it craps out each time I use Bit Torrent"
Overall "Mixed Bag"

The router loses its ability to log in periodically. Just sits there and says "check broadband connection". No one answers the phone in tech support, 20 minute wait for service. 20 minute wait for live chat.