Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1937 reviews (1455 good) (144 bad)

• Location: Philadelphia,Philadelphia,PA
Good "Quick installation turnaround"
Bad "CS Reps lied about speed, speed slower than advertised, 12mo contract"
Overall "Avoid,"

Overall: Poor

Verizon's website indicated an offer to get 15/5 mbps down/up at
$49.99/month. When ordering it showed 10/2mbps down/up, so talked to a
Verizon CS rep who stated this was just a typo in the ordering system and
assured me I'd get 15/5 at $49.99 even though the order system showed 10/2.
But upon install, I am only getting 10/2. Called
in to Verizon, they said I will only get 10/2 even though the CS rep
specifically stated I'd get 15/5 before I ordered. No recourse, even if I
cancel to switch out I'll get hit with contract termination fees.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by mikepell See Profile

• Location: Lansdale,Montgomery,PA
Good "Service worked"
Bad "customer service/billing system"
Overall "I will never do business with Verizon again"

Their service was great until one day my service was arbitrarily disconnected. No explanation was given. My account was in good standing. Eventually, I had to re-order new service. I received a collections notice. I canceled my service because of the ongoing billing problems. I was charged for the router that was returned (I have shipping confirmation).

All in all, their customer service is abysmal. I have detailed my hell:

»fiossucks.blogspot.com

It is a lot to read, but only because it reflects the hell Verizon put me through. As of this date, it is still unresolved (over 1 year).

Comments:

Review by matr8er See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
Good "Service"
Bad "Billing errors"
Overall "Good service, rediculous out of control billing problems."

Internet is the only real value when it comes to Fios. You get a sub-par dvr for tv service. Their DVR is slow, quirky and downright behind the times. On demand is a joke with unpopular choices. $40 for phone, come on.

The worst experience with Fios is the billing. I have never had the same bill twice in a row. In fact, I haven't paid the same amount in 2 different months yet. Verizon practices overcharging. it is a very simple concept. Overcharge the customer and if they notice then give them a credit. If they do not notice then kudos to Verizon as they receive free money. Information is all over the Internet that the billing is so full of red tape that nobody gets anywhere when there is a billing discrepancy. If you want to have problems with being overcharged and added stress to your life, sign up for Verizon.

Bottom line is that Verizon needs to be audited or seriously looked at as they are unfair in every aspect of customer relations. They do not care about their customers as long as they get their money. I highly recommend you get ALL your payments agreements in writing and do not sign anything until you understand what you are signing. Verizon is a sneaky operation that takes advantage of its customers any chance they get.

Comments:

Review by dtstell See Profile

• Location: Bothell,Snohomish,WA
Good "Better price than commiecast, good tv, speed is great"
Bad "Customer service is clueless,"
Overall "Hope nothing ever goes wrong!"

Comment 4/10/09:The first three months in a row *** I get a computer generated phone call telling me my FIOS service was scheduled for disconnection for lack of payment. I call the number given in the message, struggle to find somebody who can find my account, because I don't have a verizon phone, they tell me that my account is set up for automatic payment, but no credit card account information is present, . I give it to them, and two days later they disconnect at night, the tv stops. the internet stops, and I can't do anything about it untill I contact Verizon after 8:00 am, they still have no credit card account number (that I gave them two days before), I give it to them again, ask and get confirmation number (that they will later tell me is an invalid number) they connect me to another service that charges me to pay my bill by credit card. I pay, they reconnect, the next month... go back up to the *** and start over. The fourth month the credit card payment worked, I 'm not convinced it will work next month. Also during my second month of service a neighbors tree fell and broke the overhead line, they missed three appointments to fix the problem.

Update 4/11 This is unbelievable, I entered negative comments about Verizon fios yesterday, then today when I was at work my wife said she heard some banging noises outside, the tv service went blank, she looked out the window saw a man climbing down the pole, into a verizon van, and leave. She called verizon, they said the account was paid up to date, and no reason seems to be present for them to disconnect. They wouldn't/couldn't figure out who posted and negative comment and disconnect service, could they? I now have a Clearwire Modem.

Comments:

Review by plocht See Profile

• Location: Caldwell,Essex,NJ
Good "On-line ordering not bad"
Bad "Pushy on-line chat salesman, no field survey prior to installation"
Overall "No fiber port near my location - field engineer will have to take a look"

I receive my telephone, electric and cable from a street behind my house. In spite of telling the sale people and customer service this prior to installation, the tech arrived today with the expectation of getting service from my front location. This location is exclusively underground service and does not service my house.

He next visited the pole where my service originated on the street behind the house and his first assessment is that there are probably no open ports for the fibre on that pole. He needs to talk to his boss about the next step but was not optimistic about success today.

Follow up: Tech has been great but the problem is not under his control. He even had an encounter with the local police over his bushwacking through the neighborhood trying to see where the service orgininated.

Follow up 2: Reschedule a week later for today 8-12. Now 1 pm. No communication or sign of the technician. Customer service is trying to help but are also frustrated. Almost strike two!

Overall, Verizon paid no attention to my alerting them as to where the service comes from. They cannot even start the installation until they figure out when they will get the fiber service from.

Comments:

Review by Eagle1972 See Profile

• Location: Seaford,Nassau,NY
Good "FiOS TV on a big screen looks great"
Bad "FiOS on a TV 32in or smaller looks like Cablevision"
Overall "It's OK"

So I got FiOS TV and Internet. 20/5. 8 months ago my speed test were 22down/6.5up(GREAT). Now I'm 7megs down and 3.5 megs up. What the hell is going on???????? At least with Cablevision (15/2), I would get at least 12megs down. Anyone in the 11783 area have the same problem????

Comments:

Review by woliverjm See Profile

• Location: Virginia Beach,Virginia Beach City,VA
Good "Nice Picture quality"
Bad "Extremely poor customer service"
Overall "Wouldn't have switched from Cox if I knew I was going to have this many problems"

FIOS lines were run in our neighborhood last July. The door to door ordering started in December. I went ahead and ordered. Verizon called and set-up an install date for January 29.

Verizon left numerous voice mails on when they would be arriving. Install day comes. The install tech is very knowledgeable and efficient. The order however, is totally screwed up. Basically gives me every service verizon offers and doesn't port over my phone number. That's where the problems begin, Verizon customer service.

Called them to port over the number, they say no problem and apparently, lose the order. Called 3 days later to check on status. They (rudely) state they have no record of the order. I order the port again. They state the port over will be complete Feb 12. Feb 12 comes and still doesn't happen. I call on the 13th. They state it will be done by 5 PM. That doesn't happen. I continue to call and check on the status every day. I basically have the same conversation every day with the CSRs. It appears Verizon is totally inept on the customer service side. I get the same apologies and "we'll get this taken care of." It's been a month and I still have no dial tone. Some advice for those who do take the plunge, don't ever believe a CSR when they tell you they are going to call you back. They will even set up a time with you, act like they are putting it in a calendar, and still not call you back. I've been promised call backs probably a dozen times now and so far NONE have called me back. In my opinion, the FIOS service is not worth the customer service problems you will have if you do have a technical or billing problem. That is sad to say.

Comments:

Review by mrising See Profile

• Location: Cockeysville,Baltimore,MD
Good "On those rare occasions that it works, it's fast."
Bad "Rarely works well. Useless for gaming. Bad tech support. Verizon internal processes are a mess. Billing is wrong."
Overall "Avoid Verizon FIOS until fiber is a mature service."

I have been a FIOS customer in Baltimore County, Maryland since late October 2008 and the service has been nothing but headaches. Avoid Verizon FIOS as an ISP (if all you want is HDTV, then hey, it works great so long as you expect to pay more than what is advertised.)

- Ordering FIOS: 2 hours on the phone being passed around departments and disconnected.
- Getting FIOS installed: 2 days sitting at home wondering if this was the first installation Verizon had ever done.
- Paying for FIOS: After 5 hours on the phone with billing, it's cheaper and less self-destructive for me to not worry about the $20 extra per month I'm paying over what was advertised.
- Using FIOS internet: The 50+ hours I have spent on the phone or waiting for a technician to show up have been absolutely and completely fruitless.

To be fair I do have to say that the phone and non-on-demand TV service have worked just fine, but my primary reason for getting FIOS was for the 'blazing' data speeds touted by so many on this site. My reality has been network latencies in the 1000's of milliseconds (yes, that's SECONDS) and throughputs as low as 50Kb/s (kilobits, not bytes.)

Verizon's tech support ranges from absolutely useless phone support people to friendly and well-meaning but woefully under-trained field support people. The ability of any Verizon technical support person to evaluate conditions within their own network is nil. Many Verizon employees I have encountered seem to be adherents to some Kafka-esque school of customer support. It takes a special 'Verizon Customer Advocate' (see below) to reach anybody at Verizon that doesn't just read from a script or disconnect you.

My experience with Verizon has been so bad that I long for the days of my local cable provider (Comcast.) Seriously, think of how bad things have to be to make a customer think that a cable company has superior customer service and technical expertise.

So that's the summary--Avoid FIOS in Maryland. Here's the details to support the ratings above:

Connection reliability - EXTREMELY BAD. I can't be more emphatic about this point. The service promised isn't anywhere close to the service delivered. I realize that there are plenty of happy FIOS customers out there getting their promised 20Mbps or better service but that has been the furthest thing from my experience.

- Peak latencies to the first router hop on Verizon's network of OVER 5 SECONDS. Windows times out its ICMP in 5 seconds and I don't feel like firing up a Linux box or running other net diag tools to see if the packets are just dropped or if a reply is coming back later than 5 seconds. For practical purposes you can consider this as a total lack of connectivity.

- Throughput as low as 50Kbps. Early 1990's dial-up speeds coupled with latencies worthy of late 1970's. 'Peak periods' are the worst. Evenings and weekends the service is often totally and completely useless.

I realize that the above 2 statements are probably making someone thing "there has to be something wrong with this guys equipment or he's a total whacko." 3 computers and the Verizon STB in the house and all of them exhibit the same problem even when connected directly to the ONT. The STB does its on-demand video over IP and gives you the "Sorry, this service isn't currently available."

Pre-sales information - OK so that's decent.
- Lots of flyers with the channel line-up and 'promised' data speeds.
- Price of the service kept falling with every flyer so it hit the point where there was no logical reason to switch from cable to FIOS.

Installation coordination - Felt strangely like the cable company I was trying to leave.
- Calling a number of a flyer from Verizon is apparently a hit-or-miss scenario where your odds of getting to the deparment necessary to get the service advertised on the mailer are approximately 1-in-5.

- Transferred a total of 5 times and disconnected (hung up on) a total of 4 times after lengthy waits on hold before finally reaching someone who could actually handle an order for FIOS service. 2 hours of my life wasted--if I hadn't been so determined to leave Comcast I would have given up after 30 minutes.

- Promised 'day-before' call to arrange an installation time window never happened.

- Attempt to cancel installation because of inability to schedule was apparently ignored (installer called me at work wondering why I wasn't home.)

- The installer was in my home for 3 hours before he decided that he couldn't run the fiber line from the pole to my home because 'now its too late in the afternoon to get a flag crew.' His suggestion to schedule a re-visit for 'sometime next week' wasn't a well-received joke and required a call to.

- The revisit two days later (thankfully on a Saturday) was a fiasco that had Verizon personnel sitting in my driveway for 4 hours while they waited for a road crew to drive in from another state after the first flag crew showed up without the necessary equipment to control traffic. Once the flag crew was there it was another 60 minute wait for a truck capable of reaching the optical terminal. That should explain the $4000-per-customer average cost of a FIOS install--wasted labor.

Tech Support - Laughable to the point that Verizon has a special 'Customer Advocacy' group to try and help you get results when all of your own attempts fail.

- A billing department that tells you "Well this office isn't the one that sent you the mailer with that price on it so there's nothing I can do to help you. You have to speak to the office or contractor we employed to send out that flyer to get the price on it and I have no idea who that is." $20 per month extra will quickly seem cheap compared to the level of frustration you will experience trying to recoup that $20. Eat the $20/month and live a little longer.

- Phone support is limited to looking at your computer settings when it's pretty obvious that the problem lies outside the customer premises.

- Automated testing/phone tree that takes 15-20 minutes to get through before you can speak to a real-live person (that isn't going to be able to help you anyway.)

- Unertrained field technicians that look at the same things the phone support people do before giving up entirely.

- Local maintenance supervisors who claim that "there is only one person in the entire company that can help with this problem and I can't get in touch with him." Seriously. That's not a joke, I was actually told this by my area maintenance supervisor after my 4th call to her.

- An internal Customer Advocacy group that calls the same phone numbers you do and gets frustrated by the same things that you do such as 45 minute hold times and maintenance supervisors that claim there's nothing can be done to help you.

- A complete and total disconnect between the customer support personnel and the engineers that can see actual network behavior and help diagnose problems. There is no way for a field person to get in touch with personnel in a local CO and even ask a simple question or make a change. It is assumed that Verizon's network is running optimally and that all issues are on the customer premises regardless of the number of times a router, ONT, or cabling has been replaced.

- 5 techs to the house, countless techs on the phone. Still have the problem.

This list can go on forever but this review is long enough already--if by this point you haven't gotten the gist that Verizon's customer service is probably some of the worst in the industry

Value for money - I gave this a '2' because the HDTV set top box works well and I'm capable of making phone calls when I need to. As a data service though FIOS rates as '0.'

Comments:

Review by jl17511 See Profile

• Location: Beaverton,Washington,OR
  • Cost: $19644 per month (41 month contract)
Good "The HD is clear"
Bad "Sales men sell packages that Verizon does not have"
Overall "Dont sign up, Stick with Comcast, at least they do what they say!"

I would advise anyone thinking about switching from Comcast to Verizon in the Portland area to be ware!

This has been by far the worst experience I’ve had switching to a new service provider.

1. First, Nicholas, the door-to-door salesman sold me a package that does not exist. My total monthly bill for Cable, Internet and DVR was quoted at $80.00 a month.
2. Our install date was scheduled for 12-05-08. That install actually took place 12-22-08. (I ended up having to take a week day and miss work or I would have to wait several more weeks)
3. When I received my first bill it was $196.44 for 41 days of service. That is outrageous not matter where you get your service.
4. When I called customer support and spoke with Lisa to fix these charges, she said I needed to bundle my service, I did not know this before. She said that the sales man should have explained that. I was at this time told my monthly bills would be $95.98 a month plus $9.99 for the first 3 months to cover installation.
5. She said she could fix the charges and backdate the bill to make the corrections.
6. Lisa then said that a new bill would be sent out with corrections.
7. I went online and with Tech Supports help bundled my bill.
8. I got the new bill and it is for the same amount of $196.44
9. I called billing today. They said I have to pay that full amount. The bill was never fixed and they would not offer to help today.
10. The supervisor of the woman I spoke with today got on the phone and said Verizon does not backdate bills or make corrections. I would have to pay in full. Oh, but not to worry, It will be fixed from this day forward and my next bill will be the correct amount of $95.98.

I have a hard time believing that. As soon as my bill is paid I will be canceling my service.

Comments:

Review by Dogfather See Profile

• Location: Huntington Beach,Orange,CA
Good "Pretty fast, no traffic shaping or caps"
Bad "HORRIBLE billing, no binaries NGs, expensive w/o voice and contract"
Overall "Nightmare experience, overpriced, finally had to cancel over billing problems"

UPDATE 1/29/09 - FINALLY got my refund for unused service. I sure wish everything had worked out 'cause the service was awesome. The billing was the only seemingly unfixable problem. I would still recommend FiOS but make sure every "eye" is dotted and every "tee" crossed during the order process 'cause once billing gets screwed up, it's nearly impossible to fix, and in my case, it ended up being impossible to fix.

UPDATE 10/22/08 - Oh well. Got my latest bill and it is just as screwed up as ever. I have no choice but to cancel. The service itself was fine but the ENDLESS billing problems make it a complete nightmare. If you get set up and your billing it right, you will likely be happy. But if you have your billing screwed up, be prepared for an experience similar to having your toenails pulled out.

UPDATE 9/15 - Recent billing history online is starting to show some progress. However while all my new charges have appeared none of the credits have as the rep said they should. Looks like I may not be out of the woods yet. We'll see when I get my first new bill. In the meantime seeing all the new charges and the high month-month non-bundled price in print, I'm just not seeing much value in the service any more. Add 3rd party usenet costs and the price increase to the high price and the value is killed. I don't give a crap that it's 20Mb, it's overpriced. Since I signed up I've have all these billing nightmares, wasted time on the phone, looks like 2 price increases, had to give up my phone number (to fix this mess) and they killed off the binaries groups forcing me to fork over dough for Usenet. Lame. Next week when I have an hour to kill I run the VZ gauntlet and drop another tier to 10/2 to try and get these high fees down a bit. If billing is fixed and they don't screw up over the next year I may consider doing a 1 year contract but with the nightmare they put me through there is no way I'm doing it now. It sucks that they rip you hard for wanting to avoid a contract. After my experience I now see why they need to trap people. Looking at other reviews, billing problems and install problems are very common. Verizon needs to get their shit together. The technology is sound but customer no-service is a total mess. I've never actually sucked dog balls, but I would imagine it's sort of like dealing with Verizon.

UPDATE 9/12 - FINALLY, got service back up last week this time month to month without voice service and as before without their horribly overpriced TV service. I spoke with a supervisor who looked over my account set up along with billing and everything looks to be straightened out. They also claim that a credit for the cancellation fee they wrongly charged should appear. Of course given the absolute nightmare Verizon is I'll believe it when I see it. So after many many months of nightmare service I should be back to $66/mo plus any junk fees plus $25 for Giganews, a total which IMO is overpriced. When I originally signed up, good usenet servers were included. To get a moderate price on just the HSI you have to buy their overpriced voice service and do a minimum 1 yr contract which after all these problems I'll never do. And without the contract if I have any more problems they will be gone for good and I'll just use my 3G AirCard when I'm out there or go back to 15Mb Time Warner.

Current install is the same as the last.

Monthly Price: $65.99 (plus $25 for 3rd party news service)

CAT6 install

Router: Airport Extreme 802.11n

Tier: 20/5 month-month unbundled

Speed Typ: 19.5/4.5

Latency Typ: 20ms WC 90ms EC

While with FiOS I typically get my advertised download speed, as is fairly common with FiOS I don't see my full upload speed. On 20/20 I would often get 20/13 or 20/15 and now at 20/5 I get 20/4.5. I'm not sure why and at this time am beaten down to the point I don't really care. I just don't have it in me to run the VZ support gauntlet any more. Because of Verizon's high unbundled price I will likely drop down to the 10Mb tier once I get my first new bill reflecting my credits.

UPDATE 8/22 - Got 2 automated emails indicated that my services were disconnected and they're sending a box for the actiontec. Once they show receiving it I'll give it another few days and then enter a fresh order. In looking at my DSL webmail which was a good indicator that the DSL account was still active, the username no longer works and neither does FiOS. My phone number is disconnected when I try and call it which surprised me since I figured they had to clear the DSL provisioning before killing off the number. But like most of my experience with Verizon, I got dinged for the cancellation fee (showed up as $99 pending on my CC) which I was told would be waived. Maybe they just put a hold on it until they get their router back but who knows. Rather than go back to VZ for voice, I'm going to go unbundled for $58 and just use my cell. Hopefully I'll be back up in time for Labor Day weekend which is the next time I plan to be out there.

UPDATE 8/14 - So I'm following 1 agent's advice and am canceling all services and once everything goes through, I'll reorder. The ongoing problem is my service is divided up and they can't get everything combined so it's being billed separately with no way to correct it. In order to fix it, I had to remove all services so they can "rebuild" the account, whatever that means. The major consequence other than an estimated 2 weeks of down time is that I'll lose my phone number. That sucks but I'm left with no other choice. Every month I call and every month I'm told the problem is fixed but it never is.

I was very happy with my Roadrunner 15/2 service for a long time. At the time it was slightly cheaper than FiOS and very reliable. But when Time Warner started traffic shaping and talking caps I figured it was time to cancel. So I first dropped CATV for DirecTV and then Roadrunner and Time Warner VoIP for Verizon FiOS. Ugh, didn't realize the problems I was in for.

Pre Sales (1): Their database was completely messed up and showed I already had FiOS so they couldn't place the real order. It took a few weeks to get that fixed so that an order could be placed. Once fixed I ordered online but instead of upgrading the DSL service I used as a backup for Roadrunner, the created a new account and to this day still bill me for both despite numerous phone calls. The site didd detail what plans and prices were available along with all the terms.

Install (2): A few days before my install date, they trenched and brought fiber up to the house. My CWA installer did an excellent job with the install. The day of the install it was well over 100F and without question he did my requested twisted pair install through the attic which had to be 130-140F. He offered his CAT5e that he carried on the truck, but I had a bulk box of CAT6 with wall plates so that is what I opted to use. The install was clean and as good as an install could be. The install took about 2-1/2 hours total (about 20 minutes of which was the in-house cable pull) and far exceeded my expectations. Unfortunately while my installer was absolutely stellar, whoever entered my order hosed my account royally, resulting in a multi-month nightmare that was only corrected by canceling all of my services and reordering (details below).

Reliability (4): According to router logs, low down time, no packet loss and I always get close to my advertised speeds. Local latency runs in the 10-15ms range (used to be 10ms). Latency to servers farther away (eg 600 miles), like DSLR's SFO destination are about 20ms. Cross-country latency runs in the 80ms range. Pretty good and slightly better than what I had with Roadrunner. Even with the slight increase in latency, tasks requiring low latency like gaming run very well.

Tech/Customer Support (1): This is where everything goes wrong. After completely hosing my account they continue to bill me every month for DSL that I don't have. Every month I sit on hold or bounce from place to place and after hours get a credit and they claim it's fixed. However the very next bill, there it is again, another charge for DSL and my FiOS HSI billed at the unbundled rate. I had one support agent that the fastest way to fix it would be to actually cancel all of my services and reorder. That's insane.

Value for money (1): 20/5 for $53 (after bundling discount) is pretty good but the billing nightmares kill the value. It's been months and still their billing problem persist like herpes. Because of the billing problems I'm billed the unbundled rate for HSI ($58) plus another $33 for DSL I don't have and haven't had for a long time, totaling $91/mo for 20/5. Ouch. With the killing off of the binaries newsgroups I'm shelling out $25/mo to Giganews, so now we're at $116 instead of the $53 I originally signed up for.

Hardware: Being a CAT6 install I'm using my own router (Airport Extreme N) instead of the VZ provided Actiontec.

Package: Started with 30/15 and 50/20 for $145 (supposed to be $140 but again, billing problems) but after finding very few servers capable of offering downloads that fast I dropped to 20000/5000