Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1941 reviews (1456 good) (145 bad)

Review by fpuig See Profile

• Location: Millersville,Anne Arundel,MD
Good "Internet Speed as advertise, Excellent video quality"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Best speed, Tv quality, Reliability"

Update 7/29/2013:

After a year the service continue without any problems. No outages. I called and they gave me a free upgrade to Quantum for 1yr. The upgrade was from 25/25 to 75/35 Mbps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------

I started with Fios internet for 1-1/2 yr. and never had an outage, now I dropped DTV and ordered Fios Tv. The quality is superior than DTV, I only have 1 week with the service so I can't bring a full review. With the Tv service I got a bundle and upgrade my internet from 15/5 to 25/25 for $5 more. $89.99 is the base price for internet 25/25 + Fios Tv Extreme HD package. I have 2 Cisco STBs that cost me around $17mo extra. Verizon call me 2 times and text me 1 time before the day of installation. Installation completed in 2hrs.

Comments:

Review by BB4Life See Profile

• Location: Bayonne,Hudson,NJ
Good "Internet is great! TV is between good to great! Phone is just Phone."
Bad "No clock on STB display. Seriously, that is a problem. "
Overall "No clock aside, FIOS is waaaaay more inexpensive than Optimum. Plus I get MORE for my dollar."

First of all, let me start off with the good. I ordered FIOS (Triple Play) a couple of weeks ago, because I wanted to make sure I was home. Verizon had done the standard follow-ups leading up to install date. I had ordered the Extreme HD package (which I believe is similar to Optimum's Silver Package) and got HBO, Showtime, Starz, Encore and apparently The Movie Channel (TMC.) The Internet package I got was 50/25. I was debating spending the extra $5 for 75/35, but I couldn't justify the need, other than it was FAST. In truth, 15/5 had done the job for so many years, and going with the FIOS Quantum package (50/25) I could justify that. The installer came and placed the ONT outside and wired the cables very satisfactorily. Job took about 3/4 of the day, but once he was done, I was off. I had to do some tweaking on the TV (make the images sharper than default, and turn off stretch on Standard Def; the black sides/rectangular box doesn't bother me. I prefer to have a correct, proportioned image than an incorrect one. I stick with HD channels anyway.)

Man, what a difference 50/25 makes though....I configured the supplied router. I even tried LAN-to-LAN with the Netgear Gigabit router I bought (the WNDR4500). I probably did something wrong, cause I was getting 9/4 according to Speedtest. It didn't take me that long to hook up my PC, PS3, fiancee's tablet, my smartphone, and Wireless Printer to the supplied Actiontec router/modem. (it was their latest one, the Rev. 1) Man, even with all that hooked up, I was still getting A+s. I saw that new Netflix series (Orange is the New Black) through the PS3...man, when I hit select to see how the quality was, I got HIGH/HD. With Optimum 15/5, the best I got was Medium/HD.

I will update this review, but my pretax price for TV, Internet, Phone is $134, which will jump up to $164 after the year. With optimum, I was paying $195 (post-promotional price.) I was not going to waste my time threatening to leave anymore...this time I was gonna jump on FIOS and it has only been a couple of days, but so far so good. The Picture Quality is very good! Internet is amazing. I even dusted off the Call of Duty Black OPS, and while I was very rusty, I got quite a number of kills in.

Ok, now for the bad. The really thing that is quite an annoyance with FIOS TV is the lack of a clock on the display on the STB (Motorola QIP 7100-P2). I'm not paying extra money to get a DVR just so that I can get a clock. When one has had a clock on a display of a STB for quite a number of decades, you get used to it. Now I have to get some cheap LED clock from Walmart until FIOS gives me a STB that has a clock display. Believe me, if this were a deal breaker, I would have cancelled service, but for now I will bide my time. Having said that, for the money, FIOS beats Optimum. I guess Optimum has new member pricing, but as I said, I wasn't going to go through all of that.....I don't see how Optimum can match what I got....almost every premium channel (except for Cinemax), 50/25 internet, oh and phone.

I do miss News12, but I got over it.

Comments:
marc3565

join:2009-10-08

Comment about the clock

You don't mention the model of the STB but most do have clocks. There is an option in the settings to toggle between showing the channel or the time.

On my 7232 it's MENU> SETTINGS> SET-TOP BOX > STANDBY FRONT DISPLAY > SHOW TIME
BB4Life

join:2013-07-16

Re: Comment about the clock

I just edited the review, but it is the Motorola QIP 7100-P2. I called Verizon and they told me to try to find a Verizon store that carried the Motorola QIP 7100-P1, which does have to clock. Long story short, I have to buy a crappy LED clock at Walmart.

Trust me, I navigated to the STB settings, and that box does not have that setting. The only way (today) to get a STB with clock is to either downgrade the box OR upgrade to DVR service. I know the Cisco boxes are coming out soon. I will take my chances with those.

The reason we won't get a DVR is because a lot of the shows we watch are on-demand. For the shows that aren't, they will replay them again a little later. Also, I know that people build HTPCs that have a recording component (I've been working in IT for over 20 years...I could buy/build a PC if I so-wished, but I don't...lol)

VashTS

@verizon.net

Re: Comment about the clock

UR right about the 7100-P2, No time. The next gen boxs are going to have time on them. No idea when or where there going to come out first but they are coming. Personally I dont see a reason for time on it. Iv had a cell phone for years, but I can see how other ppl want it.

Review by gunnar1954 See Profile

• Location: Perris,Riverside,CA
Good "Working great. Never had any down time."
Overall "Great value! Just get it if it's available in your area!"

We have a new home with tech. wiring built in to the house. It has never been easier to connect to the net. I now have the triple play and it works great.
I have 35/35 and I get 43/34 when I go to speedtest.net
The only problem over the last 3 years has been the AC adapter for the router that burns up every 1.5 years. I'm on my third adapter now. Verizon has replaced them for free so far.

6/30/12 Just got 150/65 installed, it's blazing fast! I get 155/69 on speedtest.net!
The cost with the $ 5.00 discount is $ 74.99 for the internet as a part of the triple play. The service took about 2 hours as the tech. had to install new equipment in the garage and a new router to handle the new speed.

12/12/12 After almost 6 months without any problems, I can only recommend Fios. It's blazing fast and it never slows down, no matter if we have 2 or 3 computers connected (even playing WoW) Recent test: »speedtest.net/result/2344300608.png

Comments:

Review by xpbx See Profile

• Location: Mechanicsburg,Cumberland,PA
Good "wicked fast speed i got the150/65"
Bad "billing. but they are getting better."
Overall "its been green lit....go for it if you can get it."

i kept subsequenting my original order. no problems. the auto call thing is pretty lame, but hey, vz has to at least appear to care about new custys. the tech was awesome, had to replace the ont 3x coz they're deploying new equipment in the field without properly provisioning or training the fsc and c.o. equipment. i run a ton of bittorrent and the 20mbps upload is sweeet. ill write more later. so far so good.

edit: so i called the vz business office to change my billing address coz i wanted to finalize my move. half hour after i called, i lost my internet access. turns out, the order they wrote to change the address, not only changed my address, but it changed the ONT from MOCA to Ethernet. and no one in rpr thought it was a result of my call to the office to change my address. they sent a tech out the next day, he was there for a half hour on the phone with the FSC and service was restored. very weird but vz has some strange processes and i guess lots of bugs to work out yet. still, the service rocks!

edit; the internet service kicks butt. the tv part, well, i had a horrid experience with billing and as a result i canceled my service. that speaks for itself right there. i speak with my wallet.

edit may 24 2009

Today's Date: Sunday, 24-May, 2009, 01:25:55 AM PST
Last Result:
Download Speed: 19624 kbps (2453 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 20324 kbps (2540.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

why arent you using fios?

edit. nov 21 2010

all is well. awesome! no lag ever love gaming on fios! if you can get it, treat yourself and your family to FIOS.

EDIT: LABOR DAY 2011

fios still kicking ass!
best thing i ever did was quit teh crappy comcast with the 250gb caps
fios. it really whips the comcraps ass.

Comments:

xpbx
220, 221, Whatever It Takes.
join:2000-11-08

updated as of feb 23 2013

150/65 kicking ass. good luck finding something better than fios.

Review by Bob99 See Profile

• Location: Teaneck,Bergen,NJ
Good "Reliable connection. Lower total cost."
Bad "No Usenet news server. No IMAP for e-mail."
Overall "A fine Internet connection and phone service."

We got a letter from Verizon telling us that they were going to move our phones to fiber whether we wanted it or not. So I figured we might as well switch the Internet to FiOS also, and get a double-play package. We previously had regular Verizon copper phone lines and Optimum Online. We do not have any TV service. We get TV over the air with a roof antenna.

We got the 15 Mbps/5 Mbps plan, which is roughly the same as we had with OOL. We have two phone lines. We are on month-to-month, no contract. The total monthly cost is significantly less than we previously paid for OOL and regular local phone service, plus a separate long-distance carrier.

They would have installed it the next business day after I called, but I needed time to have an electrician put an outlet in the garage for the ONT, so I delayed the installation a week. The installation took about 4 hours, not including a lunch break of about an hour. The installer left a card with his cell phone number so I could call him directly if there were any problems.

The ONT is Alcatel-Lucent model I-211M-H, which has the battery backup in the same enclosure. The router is an Actiontec MI424WR Rev I. The ONT is inside the garage, next to the electrical panel. The router is in a room above the garage. At my request they ran Cat 5e Ethernet cable from the ONT to the router. (Remember, we have no TV.)

Everything works fine. There's nothing very exciting about it. The Internet works like a normal Internet connection. The speed is very consistent, just slightly above the stated speed at all hours. The phone lines work like normal phone lines. Our fax works fine on one of the phone lines, with no special provisioning. Our alarm system calls out on the phone line without any problems. The alarm system did not require any changes to work with the FiOS lines.

I am using the Verizon DNS servers, and there haven't been any problems. With OOL I used OpenDNS because there were sometimes problems with the OOL DNS servers.

The Actiontec/Verizon router is very good. I thought I would use my own router - which was one of the reasons I asked for Ethernet instead of coax - but the Actiontec has a couple of features that my old router didn't have, and it seems to have a stronger Wi-Fi signal. I was previously using a Linksys WRT54G2 V1. My main complaint about the Actiontec is that the user interface for managing the router is very convoluted and confusing, and the user manual does nothing to reduce the confusion. The router runs very hot.

Verizon dropped their Usenet news server a couple of years ago, so if you use Usenet you need a third-party service. The Verizon e-mail supports POP3 but not IMAP. There is also a web interface for e-mail, of course. They advertise Wi-Fi service, but there are practically no hotspots in my area - just one a few towns away.

Comments:
Chrimos9

join:2011-07-14
Providence, RI
·Verizon Online DSL

Re:Fios

What do you mean they said that they were going to move your phone to fiber whether you like it or not? :O

Was it a letter that was worded oddly? The reason I am confused is if they upgrade your copper to fiber, they still would need to install an ONT onto your house? You would need something to convert the signal on your end. If you don't give permission for them to access your premise then what would they have done?

I am still holding onto the copper wires in my house and Verizon still calls about changing to Fios, but at least the people who call have been much more polite then hostile.

I don't mind Fios internet, it is the reliability of phone that is the most important for the household right now seeing as we have an elderly person with medical problems living in the house.

No cellphone and we to use OTA television. No netflix either.. most of the time the TV only comes on when their is news..

At least you seem pretty happy about your fios service? How was the installation? Did you have it install in a room, basement? Don't know what I would have done if they needed to drill holes into the house.
Bob99

join:2001-12-07
Teaneck, NJ

Re:Fios

downloadVerizon letter.pdf 749,568 bytes
A copy of the letter that I got from Verizon is attached. Note that this was a year ago. The first sentence, about "service issues" in my area, is baloney as far as I know. We certainly did not have any problems ourselves, and none of our neighbors ever said anything about phone line problems.

I don't know what they would have done if I had refused. I had been thinking of getting FiOS anyway, so I just went ahead and did it.

We have had no reliability problems. In the year that we have had FiOS, we have not had a single problem. It even kept working through tropical storm Sandy.

The installation was no problem, although it took a long time. The ONT (with integrated battery backup) is in the garage next to the electrical panel. The router is in a second-floor room above the garage. They drilled one hole through brick and cinder block to bring the fiber into the garage. This is in the same area where there were already holes for the old phone lines and for cable. (I previously had cable internet.) They sealed up the hole nicely. Another hole was needed from the garage to the room above. I drilled that before they came, because I didn't know if they would do it, but the installer said they would have done it. Again, there were already other holes for phone and cable wiring.

Review by daslled See Profile

• Location: Acton,Middlesex,MA
Good "Fast and Reliable"
Overall "Rock Solid ISP"

7/3/13:

Consistent high speed and quality, and no downtime in five years, even through last year's two big storms when I was without power for a total of 8 days and ran a generator to keep the house warm, the ice cream frozen, and internet up and running. Despite VZ's relentless "Quantum" upgrade offers, I've stayed with the same speed package and haven't felt the need for more. The only change I've made is shutting off the wireless on the aging Actiontec router and adding an Asus Dual-Band Wireless-N 600 Router to my network - BIG improvement for our wireless devices!

5/25/11:

Five and a half years and still delighted with FiOS. It's easy to take this service for granted when it doesn't require my attention. It just plain works. My current package nominal speed is 35/35. It measures around 42/25, plus very low latency, plus zero down time = excellent performance. In fact, in the current network world, FiOS has removed "the last mile" as the limiting factor for performance. I'll test this assertion in the future. In the meantime, nice job, Verizon. Keep it up!

5/1/09:

Three and a half years with FiOS, and service has been nearly as reliable as the town water supply to my house. In that time, the only downtime was about a year ago when the power supply to my Actiontec router died. Verizon over-nighted a new one and I was back in business. I've recently made the transition to become a tele-commuter, which means I really depend on my ISP. Compared to my coworkers, who are constantly complaining about service interruption, I just keep cranking. I've added a battery backup for the ONT and router and sailed through a recent power outage. I've also just re-upped with Verizon's ExtermeHD package, which included an upgrade from 5/2 to 20/5 internet speed. I typically test download speed to be 15-19k and upload around 4.5k. No complaints there. My VoIP (ViaTalk) works great over FiOS, too. In fact, I considered dropping my Verizon POTS line, but, well, with the bundle discounts and all, I kept my line for another year as part of the re-up package.

5/26/06:

More than six months on FiOS now, and connection is rock solid - no downtime whatsoever and very consistent speed very close to advertised 5/2, healthy pings, low latency, etc. POTS service over fiber is also just fine - haven't missed my copper line at all.

I logged a service call a few weeks ago because speed had ground to a near halt, but I traced it to a bad ethernet cable in my own wiring (d'oh!). Verizon followed up with two calls to make sure I was OK. I was impressed with that, so I've entered a tech support score of 4.

I'm still hoping our town (or state, as happened in NJ) grants VZ a video franchise soon.

11/10/05:

It's only been a little over a week since my install, but not a glitch yet. Rock solid internet performance with consistent speed averaging right around 5000/1750 for the 5000/2000 service.

Seven days from on-line order placement to install. The installation tech was friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful, staying around until I was completely satisfied with the speed. When there was a minor glitch with a reversed splice upstream, he assured me with great confidence that I'd be up and running that day - said if they had to have 20 trucks down here, they weren't going to miss an installation. The delay was only about 2 hours.

Even the phone service is great, voice seems clearer (but that may be my imagination) - none of the crackling on the line I used to get with my copper pair. I noticed a very slight echo of my voice at first, but either I got used to it, or they fixed something.

The free router is a bottom-shelf D-Link, but I used it because my Linksys router was so old, it didn't allow for MTU and RWIN adjustments, and was resulting in constrained speed.

I know folks have complained about the PPPOE overhead, DHCP, and the battery backup unit (which only powers outgoing phone service), but I'm not bothered by any of that. I may add my own BBU so that I have continued internet service in a power outage.

All in all, I'm very impressed with Verizon's apparent corporate-wide comittment to providing top notch service with FiOS, and I look forward to them offering TV programming services in my town. Nice job, Verizon - now, don't slack off!

Comments:

Review by marathonmike See Profile

• Location: Princeton,Mercer,NJ
Good "has phl and nyc channels"
Bad "expensive"
Overall "its good"

Speed faster than promised. TV is amazing. Remote control of recorder over internet!

Comments:

Review by tmc8080 See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "50/25 more like 58/35"
Bad "power adapter died, installed new one, same ole bpon."
Overall "better than cablevision today."

·ooma
·Optimum Online
~2010
If cablevision wants into this market place, they are going to have to deploy symmetric broadband... 30 - 50 megabits symmetric for between $30 and $50, not $65!
I've got the 25/25 internet tier, fios tv with showtime premiums, digital voice triple play. WIth one hd box comes to just about $98. Smashes anything cablevision.. or time warner offer.

Update 6/30/13
Well, I'm back on Verizon again. Just internet 50/25 which is 58/35 so I'm happy with that. This does come at a time when Cablevision is doing channel bonding and as rumor has it going to do upload upgrades themselves. However $70 a month off promotion with no offer in sight put me back in the Verizon camp again.
I'll likely get back to them in 2015... maybe docsis 3.1 will be around then along with better offers. I'm also hoping for a mini speed war with free upgrades along the way, but that's pie in the sky.. not gonna happen.

Have a cablemodem to return on Monday.

Comments:

Review by carmas See Profile

• Location: Elmont,Nassau,NY
Good "Full advertised speed at all times."
Bad "Installation was somewhat sloppy."
Overall "Good price for superior ISP package, but frequent price hikes..."

Six-year customer now, and Fios reliability has been flawless. Still on the original 611 ONT. Even after hurricane Sandy, once I got my generator running Fios never missed a beat. Paying $90./mo with discount for 25/25 and Freedom essentials double play (no TV).

Three years + now. Never had a outage and speeds are still consistant. Got upgraded to 25/25 this month and w/discounts Fios and Freedom Essentials work out to around $73 including all taxes. Not too bad....but would downgrade to a less expensive lower speed if available. At work we use static DSL at around 7/768 and it's "adequate" for my needs but I would be content with 15/2 Fios for home.

Wow, it's been over 2 years and the good news is no news! I have never had any connection or speed problems and the service has been flawless. I got a "free" speed upgrade to 20/5 when I bought the double-play package (no tv), but Verizon is geting pricey. Close to 90 bucks a month for phone and internet. A good sized chunk is all the taxes on the phone service, but I'm not 100% ready to go all-wireless for the telephone. I could get Optimum double play for business for $60 per month for the 1st year. If Optimum was better in my area (speeds, latency, connection issues) I might consider going back, but maybe a extra dollar per day for Fios is worth it.

9 months have passed and I have nothing but praise for my FIOS service. Speeds continue to be rock solid at 10134 and never varies more than 1% or so. Have had zero problems and 100% uptime. Only action on my part was to purchase a extra 7.5 volt battery for the BBU. I swap them every few months so there is always a charged extra battery available for telephone service in the event of a rare extended power failure. Verizon FIOS ROCKS!

Verizon ran fiber in my yard late last year and FIOS service became available this spring. I was using Optimum Online for the past year at a special rate of 29.95 due to 3 months of non-stop dead slow speeds last summer. OOL speeds have been good for the past 9 months, but only half of the advertised 15mbs speed during peak times.

Verizon was advertising a full year of 10/2 FIOS service for 29.95. I offered Cable Vision an opportunity to match, which they rejected. My new OOL price would have been 49.95/mo. At a savings of $240 over the next year, it was a no-brainer to switch to FIOS.

VZ tech arrived at 10:30 and was finished at 1:30. He did not have to run any Cat 5e, as I already ran data lines for my OOL service. Overall, the tech was pleasant and the installation was satisfactory. My only criticism is that the wires from the BBU are run "piano string" tight and Ty-wraped to existing BX cable in a somewhat sloppy manner. Ironically, the fiber drop was so droopy, I could touch it standing on the ground. After pointing this out he did tighten up the drop. Non of the holes drilled through the brick were sealed with caulk. A bit more care and I would have given him 2 thumgs up.

FIOS speed is a consistent 10125/1575 at any time of the day, and easily 2500 faster than the OOL 15000/2000 service at peak evening hours. (I was lucky to get 7-7500 with OOL) FIOS service has been stable and fast. I'm probably the first to get FIOS on my block, as none of the ports on the poles have drops connected yet. Time will tell if the speed stays up as more subscribers are added. I do plan on installing a 26AH battery to increase the telephone standby time in the event of an extended power failure. The existing copper POTS drop to the house was also removed. The FIOS service has met all my expectations so far. Now I'm waiting for FIOS TV to be available.

Drew

Comments:

Review by tito79 See Profile

• Location: Brewster,Putnam,NY
Good "Great service"

Recently I took my phone service out they gave me a deal on just Internet alone at 59.99 a month I happy with the service.