Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1939 reviews (1456 good) (144 bad)

Review by rwzeitgeist See Profile

• Location: Plano,Collin,TX
Good "Speed!"
Bad "Odd subnet setup with security implications"

I ordered new business service, to get the subnet of static IP addresses. I ordered new service to avoid changes to my existing analog phone and DSL. At the time of the order the rep indicated Verizion no longer provided a wired router, and that if I didn't want the wireless router I'd need to provide my own device. Verizon originally scheduled my install for January 17. Because no one could be present that afternoon, the install slipped to January 25. Verizon needed 4 days to provide me with a new install date (I called January 10 to reschedule and didn't get the new date from Verizon until the 13th).

The installer initially quoted the wrong (too short) maximum distance from the ONT to the power supply/UPS. When I expressed serious displeasure at his proposed location, he checked and discovered the maximum distance was twice what he initially quoted. The extra distance enabled placement of the power supply/UPS in the location I preferred.

Verizon assigns subnet customers a /29, i.e., 8 addresses, but requires the router be configured with a /24 net mask. Verizon then tells customers they have 5 usable IP addresses, when they actually have 6 or 7. The /24 net mask suggests hosts in that same subnet might be able to access someone else's /29, an undesirable configuration.

I quickly replaced the Verizon router/wireless access point (which I didn't order but which the installer left even after I told him I would not pay for it!) with my own firewall/router.

Total install time amounted to 2.5 hours. The installer seemed competent, and was polite throughout. So far I've encountered no surprises. The FIOS business service seems to function as advertised, e.g., no blocked ports.

Comments:

Review by mtorchin See Profile

• Location: Germantown,Montgomery,MD
Good "Super Fast, Installers were actually Verizon, not contractors."
Bad "nothing bad except the waiting..."
Overall "Well worth it. 15MBps screams!"

Chapter I: The order process.
On Tuesday Jan. 3rd, I get a voicemail stating that I am eligible for FiOS services. "You can be among the first in your neighborhood... yadda, yadda”. Needless to say, I place my order online that night. On the morning of the 5th I get an email response with a scheduled install date of Jan, 23rd and a lengthy description of the process, “…A small trench line will be dug and all displaced landscape will be restored with minimal effect to your property.” Oh joy..

Chapter II: The “big dig”.
Just over a week later, on the 11th or 12th, Miss Utility came out and marked the utilities running through my property and they also marked a rectangular ‘dig here’ with another line from there to the entry point of my home. Another week went by and the line diggers arrived. They must have brought one of those underground boring machines with them because there was little damage to my yard and none to the castle block wall holding back the rock bed up against the house. There was about 10-15 feet of cable coiled at the entry point of my home. With that said, they did a good job with minimal damage to my yard. However, they left behind a ground level access panel that visually dominates my diminutive townhouse yard, about 12x18 inches and gun metal grey. This will need to be painted green….

Chapter III: The installation process.
The morning of the 23rd comes. I have taken the day off from work. It was a good thing too because I came down with a nasty upper respiratory infection over the weekend (Sorry mister installer, I hope you are well.). About 8am, a Verizon truck and van begin circling the neighborhood and it’s all I can do not to run out and flag them down. About ½ hour later, wondering where they are, I poke my head out the front door. Their van is parked at the end of my street and to my dismay, my neighbor Zack is getting his installed before me. Of all the insolence I SHOULD BE 1st, ME! ME! ME!!!

Tirade out of the way, I walk down to see how the process was going, there were 2 installers. One worked the outside, installing the new exterior box, where the fiber converter is. The other worked on the inside. He is the one who would run a cat5 cable to the pc and assist installing the software. I asked when they would be finishing up and be down to my house he responded, ”sometime after lunch.” OMG! … Apparently Verizon has allocated 8 man hours per install. A 2 man team has only 2 installs per day and I was their 2nd. After considering some of the logistics that could be involved, I began to appreciate Verizon’s outlook and consideration the matter.

After only 2 hours (@ about 10:30), Zack’s outside installer walks up to my house and begins to scope things out. He has finished hanging the new exterior box and completed its hookups. He now becomes the inside installer for my house. He knocks and asks to come in so he can look at the other side of the entry point. He puts on a pair of disposable fabric ‘booties’ over his work boots. How cute, and appreciated! (it began to rain). He liked what he saw and told me this would be a breeze. Last year I had run Cat5E through out my home and they all converged near this entry point where my gigabit switch, firewall and my (now defunct) DSL router. He hung all the new equipment, the battery backup and new bridge (or so I assume), onto my panel. He then gets to wait for Zack’s inside installer (now my outside installer) to finish up which takes another 45 minutes.

In the meantime, he hands me my FiOS welcome package, a CD (o joy) and a WAP, a d-Link Di624 which becomes the 4th di624 in my possession (1 at the office, 1 for travel and 1 upstairs).

I begin to question him about the software and how little I will actually need to install. He says that at the very least, there is an utility that walks you through establishing your FiOS account (username and password). I decide to sacrifice my basement pc since it needs to be reimaged anyways. More on that later….

With the outside installation finally complete (took about 1 hr, it is now Noon). The inside tech comes back in with his laptop to verify connectivity. He mumbles a bit then goes to the outside panel and tests again. With disappointment in his eye, he tells me that the connection works, but that it is not functioning at full speed (the same thing happened to my neighbor). He says he needs to call the office and report the issue. He gets in his truck, makes the call then has lunch. 45 minutes later (about 1:30) he knocks and says that the issue has been reported and they will make the appropriate changes within the next 24 hours. Have a nice day!

Chapter IV: The Speed Issue.

Speed Test 1: Oh the pain…
Download Speed @691 kbps (86.4 KB/sec transfer rate). This is 50% slower than my DSL!
Upload Speed: 1813 kbps (226.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Time for some NyQuil and a nap… I wake up at 3am the next morning and try again …

Speed Test 2:
Download Speed @681 kbps (85.1 KB/sec transfer rate).
Upload Speed: 1813 kbps (226.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

So, I decide to load the software and setup my account.

Chapter V: The software.
The welcome kit CD offered both the Yahoo and MSN experience. NO THANK YOU! So I perform the custom install and only choose the minimal Verizon package I assumed was needed to activate my account. After the utility loaded, I got a notice that the software was out of date and that I could activate my account via the web. ActivateMyFios@Verizon.net . They still pushed an applet down but no visible harm came of it. I decided to perform another speed test …

Speed Test 3:
(I forgot to record this but there was no improvement, only more pain.)

Chapter VI: The Recovery.
(No not me, I still had 4 more days of flu symptoms ahead)

About 5:30am the connection drops, oh great. I remote to my router and bounce it. It comes back up then WHAM, Everything begins to fly!!! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Speed Tests 4 & 5 tests
2006-01-24 06:45:00 14522/1782 kbps
2006-01-24 07:53:2814796/1790 kbps

That’s what I’m talkin ‘bout!

Chapter VI: In closing

The installers were pleasant, spoke English and were both neat and methodical. My gaming pings have dropped but I still keep getting my UT2k4 butt spanked. And my neighbor Zack, he only got the 5mbps package :P

I Hope it goes this well for everybody…

Comments:

Review by arundc See Profile

• Location: Olney,Montgomery,MD
Good "Speed, Live connection never drops, and Bandwidth!!!!"
Overall "FiOS is awesome, no complaints."

I love my FiOS, especially the available bandwidth. I've got 4 machines sharing the 15/2 connection. Numerous speed test results comes very close to this package. I was the 1st on the block among 400 residents to get it hooked up back in September '05. The install went smooth and we had one issue of incorrect speeds which was fixed. The clean install took about 4-5 hours and every step was explained to me in great detail. I use the connection for my Vonage service as well and both work great together.

But I still think the pricing could be a bit better than what it is now. Perhaps $39.95 would really drive the nail into Cable's coffin. This and the fact that Verizon does not offer a Static IP address for its residential package. Hello Verizon? Are you listening?

Looking forward to FiOS TV...hopefully its around the corner. The neighboring county already has the provision in some areas.

Get FiOS if you can. You won't go back.

Comments:

Review by tigercat01 See Profile

• Location: Keller,Tarrant,TX
Good "Never burps, never belches, bought 5/2 mb and receives 5/2 mb"
Bad "Not used to being dependent on a battery"

Great for patch and large software downloads - absolutely would be so lost without the service. And the phone works too! Been installed since late December 2004 and never have had a problem.

Comments:

Review by e090 See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Middlesex,MA
Good "Excellent ping times and data rates"
Bad "Bad installation coordination. Hard to find expert tech support."
Overall "If you can get it, I'd recommend taking a look."

So I've been a faithful Speakeasy user for years. Their sales and tech support staff are a wonder. I'd be with them still but I'm 15,000+ft from the CO and was always getting distance problems.

Enter FIOS ... finally. Much of Lexington Massachusetts has been wired for months but my street had not been which was _very_ frustrating. Even after the interface boxes were up on the polls it took 2 months till their computers allowed me to sign up.

Once I could schedule, I got a 14 day installation date which might have been sooner because I'm getting business service. I need business service because I want full-time IPs with no port filtering -- of course that comes standard with Speakeasy. I had to buy a US$200 "router" for the connection that I did _not_ need. Luckily I was able to get a RMA to return it and [hopefully] get a credit.

The [first] installation went well but the guys could not get any signal on the line. Turns out that someone up the chain really screwed up so the line had not been provisioned correctly. A week later the line went active and I was able to verify that I did not need the router and good plug the line directly into my OpenBSD firewall box.

So far I'm impressed. I've done speed runs in both directions and seem 1.5+ megabits/second. We'll see if these rates continue as FIOS gets more subscribers. Right now the installers said that each installation is US$20k due to the infrastructure investment.

Comments:

Review by Dan B0 See Profile

• Location: Chino,San Bernardino,CA
Good "Everything"

5/2 speed, $35, Install went fine, neat friendly installers.

I blogged the whole thing here> »dansfios.blogspot.com/

Comments:

Review by deramon8 See Profile

• Location: White Plains,Westchester,NY
Good "The best! I have the fastest speed seen!"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "This should kill cable"

Everything went perfect, from order to installation. I can download 5 gig in less than 30 minutes! Upload is great. With a dyndns account I can upload and download from anywhere despite the dynamic ip.

member for 14.1 years, 761 visits, last login: 4.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by davecraze9 See Profile

• Location: Irving,Dallas,TX
Good "Blazing speed (up and down), Great Value, Quick Install"
Bad "Can't get full speed over wireless; PPPoE"
Overall "Great product at a great price"

I am in Irving, TX and had my FIOS install on 1-21. Ordered the 15/2 service.
Nine days later, tech came for the install. It could have been as few as 5 days, but I needed to schedule it on a weekend.

Technician was very efficient and I was up and running in 1.5 hours total. He simply installed the ONT on the side of my house, put the battery inside my garage and hooked into the existing CAT5 that runs from the outside of my house into my On-Q distribution box in my closet. Then he installed my existing wireless G router in my game room in the center of the house and plugged it into the existing ethernet port in the gameroom. Boom... all done.

With a wired connection: He tested the install with the verzion speed test site and it showed 15500/1900 (of course, who knows if that is accurate). I tried it with the dfw.speakeasy site and got a little less, but not so much so that it would bother me.

Wireless connection: I am having trouble getting full speed over my wireless network - wireless tops out at 4500/1750 on the speakeasy and a few other tests. The verizon site shows 7500/1750. All three of my laptops show similar up and down speeds.

The wireless router is a Netgear WGR614v4. The verizon installer suggested I use this existing router rather than purchasing the verizon (Dlink?) router – he cited the better overall performance of netgear products as his reason. He left an ununsed wired router with me as it came with the installation.

I have the Netgear router operating on G only (not mixed mode) and signal is excellent. I have even removed my tivos from my network to ensure that they were not dragging the network down (I have G adaptors on them, but who knows, they may really be operating at B since the tivo firmware is buggy with respect to wireless G).

I can't figure out what may be the problem, but it is a problem on my end so I can't fault Verizon for this issue.

The upshot - great speed and very affordable. Get it if you can,

I am scheduling my FIOS TV this week also. After that, I will have everything from Verizon that I previously had with Comcast (HD, DVR and all channels) and Verizon DSL, plus much faster DL and UL speeds for 40 dollars per month less than I previously paid.

Comments:

Review by ivorykeyer See Profile

• Location: Exton,Chester,PA
Good "Extremely reliable, fast upstream speed, competitive pricing."
Bad "Not much to complain about..., but read the review"
Overall "Satisfied"

The service is terrific. Rock solid reliability. Love the 2Mbps upstream. Have 5Mbps down and am attemping the 15Mbps service, but more on that later.

I actually got the service in early May of 2005, so some of the detail is a bit clouded since it's been quite a while. I'll describe the install before finishing up by relating the long, long, comical (I'm easygoing - I think it's comical although *you* may not) comedy of errors that occurred before and after.

*THE INSTALL*

Scheduled for morning and on time up shows a truck with two installers. Over the next almost 6 (yes, I said 6) hours they proceed to install the ONT on the garage, string the fiber from the pole to the ONT, install a battery backup in the garage that services the ONT, install a power supply (it's plugged into a power outlet) that services the battery backup. Then, they string a network cable from the ONT up the garage, along the gutter, up the shingles to a hole into the room where the free router (D-Link - DI-604) is located. (Took a few minutes to decide on that particular route). The hole where the wire enters the house is on the second floor is right above the front entrance. It was a bit messy, but they used a bit of caulk to tidy it up a bit. It's a little bit unsightly, but unless you're looking for it, it's not particularly noticeable. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably have them route the wire differently, but what's done is done. No big deal. They came inside, installed a jack, plugged in the D-Link, performed some configuration from the desktop to enable the account and the sun shone and the birds sang. The connection was good. After waiting for years, it was bye bye Comcast cable modem and TV - hello FIOS and DirectTV. All in all, the installation went very smoothly. They showed up on time, were very professional and were all around nice people to boot. No complaints. I did replace the D-Link with my Linksys Router/Vonage device a few minutes after the install and have had no problems.

*HOW IT BEGAN AND MORE FUN STUFF*

It all started late in the summer of 2004 when I noticed a small army of Verizon trucks swarming down the street. I approached one of the workers and asked if they were pulling fiber, to which he quietly answered yes and added (with some prompting on my part) that they hoped to actually begin offering the service by the end of the year (2004).

Fast forward to sometime in April of 2005 when the inserts finally appeared in my local paper offering FIOS service at $34.95 month for 5000/2000 with a free D-Link router and a free first month of service. Now, the fun begins. Why, you ask? Well, I don't have phone service from Verizon (had VOIP for several years now) and when I called to order FIOS, the rep. tells me that FIOS is only available to Verizon phone customers. I complain a bit, saying that this business decision simply means that Verizon gets none of my money, when they could at least get some of it if I could get FIOS alone (aka 'naked' FIOS). To no avail. Until... a few days later a colleague at work who I had mentioned this to points me to a Verizon press release saying that FIOS service is available to all residential customers - whether or not they have Verizon phone service. I call the FIOS sales number again and once again say that I want to place an order, to which I am quickly told (after saying that I don't have Verizon phone service), that I must have... yadda yadda. I then proceed to tell the rep about the Verizon press release. He hesitates... asks me who the press release is from... puts me on hold... comes back a few minutes later, takes my number and says that he will call me back. Several days pass and, lo and behold, I'm informed that I in fact can get FIOS without having Verizon phone service. He also tells me that, this is a new offering (it appears that Verizon marketing was a bit ahead of sales on this one) and setting the account up will be a bit of a manual process on their part and that they'll have to bill to a credit card since I don't have a regular Verizon account. I didn't recognize this little comment as an example of foreshadowing in real life. He also says that the monthly cost is $5.00 higher for non-Verizon phone customers ($39.95). Fine, I say - let's go. We schedule an appointment for installation in a week or two. A few days before the install, after thinking about it for a bit, I decide that I'd prefer to start out with the 15000/2000 service and give a call to change the order. As it turns out, they can't accommodate speed change requests to orders in progress and I'm asked to request the speed upgrade after the install is complete. I'm OK with that.

The installation goes well, as noted above. I call the Encore fiber group (they provide non-technical customer support) later that day or the next to request the speed upgrade. "What's your phone number" I'm asked. Uh oh. I tell them that I don't have a Verizon phone number. Hmm. It takes a while, quite a while, to bring up my account. I have by now most definitely forgotten the chronology and the number of calls I made to the very friendly, very professional employees. After many calls to the group and talking to lots of different people, it becomes clear that due to issues with not having a Verizon phone number and being an early (perhaps the first) naked FIOS PA customer, my account cannot be changed to get the higher speed. IT has some work to do on the billing system and how it interfaces with the FIOS delivery systems or something like that. I've actually worked on large billing systems and so have some understanding of the difficulties. I knew I was a bit on the bleeding edge when I started out and, besides, I've got plenty fast service and it's working well. Over the intervening months (during which the service has been rock solid) I periodically check in with the Encore fiber group to see what the status is and am told that there's nothing much that can be done.

OK, this is getting way too long, so time to just wrap it up. The situation today is that some system magic was performed recently (something along the lines of actually dropping my old account and establishing a new one) and my service has been upgraded to 15/2. My speed tests don't show me getting 15 just yet - it's hovering around 9-10 - but that may be a problem on my end. I'll be looking into it in the next couple of days.

So, what's the bottom line? Leaving aside the bleeding edge account and speed upgrade problems, the installation was well done, the service itself has been excellent and the price is definitely competitive I work from home a couple of days a week and the 2Mbps upstream speed is great to have. The Encore fiber support group has been extremely responsive and friendly, even when faced with a situation like mine where they had no means of resolving the problem - without a doubt one of the better support organizations of this type I've dealt with.

Comments:

Review by Pbfour51 See Profile

• Location: Germantown,Montgomery,MD
Good "Fastttt, download 1-2 mbps higher than advertised."
Bad "Dumb installer, upload a tiny bit slower than advertised."
Overall "If it's available, get it. Better then anything else currently out."

Time from ordering to install date was about a month. Ordering was easy as pie, everything clearly lined out. Recieved my confirmation phone call a day before the install. Conduit was not laid up untill the day of the install, but whatever, everything was still on schedule.

Installer arrived promptly at 8:10 or so (Doorbell woke me up ). He was here for quite a bit, over 5 hours. This is mainly due to having to wate for the conduit to be laid. If I could rate the installer 1 out of 5 in competence, I would rate a 0. He tried to set up one of our PC's up wrong for FIOS, didnt understand the basics of using a computer, and at one point even asked me 'which E do I click?' (Refering to the internet explorer icon). He was clearly a 'trained monkey' telling me that I HAD to have the verizon IE toolbar and all that junk installed for the fios to work. He even went to some wrestling site (WWE or something) afterwards to 'make sure the internet was working'. Pretty unprofessional.

After he left I called tech support right away and had them help me setup my gamers lounge router instead of theirs. I called 2 times and the first time I wasnt on hold at all, the second I was on hold for 5 minutes or so. I cant say enough about tech support, not only are there no hold times but they know exactly what they're talking about. They both said I could use my router instead of theirs, so i'm not exactly sure what all this 'VZ only supports their default router' fuss is about.

I had to mess around with my TCP settings and stuff to get the maximum speed.. after a half hour or so of that I'm at about 17/1.8 on the ordered plan of 15/2. I cant seem to break the 1.8 upload barrier with the my router, however with theirs it jumps to 2.2. By default you get a dynamic IP, and i'm not sure if static costs extra or you just have to ask for it. Shouldn't matter with FIOS though because you should never loose a connection.. just don't turn off your router and you're fine.

Overall, quite satisfied.