Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1940 reviews (1455 good) (145 bad)

Review by ajschmitt See Profile

• Location: Winchester,Middlesex,MA
Good "Future proof technology, competition for Comcast, wicked fast!"
Bad "ONU is big, mount it inside"
Overall "The best broadband access, period."

Detailed review and install notes with pictures at »www.nyquistcapital.com/2005/12/0···install/

One important note - the ONU can be installed in your basement if you ASK NICELY.

I have the 15mbs service and it has been flawless for 2 months. Install was as smooth as could be. I cut the copper connection down myself.

Comments:

Review by SuperGonz See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
Good "Speed"
Bad "none"
Overall "Better cost factor"

The same or better download speeds & grossly faster upload for the same or less than cable, what more could you ask? Here, try this...it's not Comcast & it's not DSL. Life is good.

Comments:

Review by afterburner6 See Profile

• Location: Moseley,Chesterfield,VA
Good "consistent speed"
Overall "Good Deal"

Upgraded from verizon dsl to fios as they suck you in by keeping the price the same for a year (29.99)and up the speed from 1.5m/750k to 5m/2m.

Comments:

Review by jstueve See Profile

• Location: Plano,Collin,TX
Good "Easy install, fast, flexible"
Bad "speed test isn't as high as advertised"
Overall "Fast, friendly service, reliable access"

A friend of mine down the street order FIOS, and I was surprised, since I had put my name into the 'email me when service is available' bucket, and hadn't heard. He works for Alcatel, and knew they had installed the cable so he pre-empted any ads and called directly. Once I got back home, I tried the website and viola, it accepted my address as valid and I started the installation process.

I don't have Verizon voice, don't plan on getting Verizon voice, but FIOS and FIOS TV sound like something I want.

History

I used to have Verizon DSL (through earthlink) and found the process of dealing with intermittent service tedious and left for Sprint ION when it was available. Loved ION would never have switched from ION had it not gone out of business (part of which I blame Verizon and last mile problem) Switched back to Verizon, to switch to AT&T Broadband (and digital voice) that became Comcast HSI and Digital Phone. Never had any problems with Comcast, other than a slow (slower than ION) upload, and dropped digital phone for Vonage after a while.

Ordering: All online, didn't call anyone to verify anything, orderd online November 20th. The one email I recieved about my order was comprehensive and complete. I simply had to wait for Decemeber 2nd as the first available install time. My time slt was 8:30am - 12:00pm.

I was expecting a call prior to the installers arrival, but didn't get a call. He arrived at the door and was very friend;y, listened to my preferences (I wanted to install the service in a shelf above our washing machine to serve wireless throughout the house.) Showed him to the rear of the house where the box would go. Then left him to work, it took about 2 hours.

The Verizon muscle in the last mile was apparent in the days leading upto the install date. SBC/Comcast brought their spray cans and identified where their lines had been buried. Then Comcast came and sprayed where they were going to lay the fiber. Then had brought fiber to the side of the house and left a rather long service loop for the installer.

He put another demark box up on the back (my third, one Verizon phone/Sprint ION, one Comcast and not the shiny new Verizon fiber box which is the biggest. The one outside is called the ONT (Optical Network terminal and has status lights inside the door. Around the other side of the wall inside the garage is the BBU (Battery Backup Unit) and then the tech installed a neat line to the OPSU (ONT Power Supply Unit) that got plugged into the wall socket along the garage wall.

Then he put in the ethernet line to the laundry room, and installed a biscuit adapter to the top of the ceiling so I can plug and unplug a patch cable to the router. The included DLink router was hooked up and powered on and then hooked up to my laptop to test. Tested fine, except the Verizon speed test only registered 6Mbps download my service is for 15Mbps.

Some things gleaned from tech as I talked to him. Any router will work with the service, it uses PPPOE as its connection with any username/password combination. Any technical support calls expect the supplied router to be used, so keep it handy. The Verizon speedtest site is supposedly also used for some internal high-traffic applicaiton so the speed test reads a bit on the slow side, he said keep and eye on it and if it stays low call it in so they can adjust the OC-3 card in the alley. He says they are rolling out FIOS TV in the area first quarter, and the packages they are offering are pretty good, under Comcast, which is good for us consumers with the choices now being Cable, Fiber or Satellite. I asked if they were including a DVR option and he said he didn't know.

All in all a good experience, and the fastest speed test since Sprint ION. Comcast was/is solid but just under the speeds that I wanted to keep. I'm not a gamer, so I don't care much about pings, though through wireless they seem high in one Dr. Ping test (50).

Before leaving the tech handed over the information packet, and told me that customer service was there 24 hours for me. How nice. He forgot to get me online and give me a username/password.

So after I move my router off of comcast and into my new washroom wire closet, I got on the phone and waited about 15 minutes to talk to a real person, and then told them I was just installed and wanted to set up my email and such. 10 emails are included in the package, and I waited a bit as the first level tech got the right department on the phone, and then a nice gentleman helped me with their web-based registration program, and stayed on the line to provide me with the right order number and complete the process. If anything he was a bit tedious, but understandable to keep the new customers upto speed. The total web-based registration was nice, and I would probably work regardless of OS. I have zero Verizon junk installed on my PC, and will keep it that way, though I will make use of the Verizon home page. Though the initial login/flash eyecandy with loud sound will get irritating a bit.

Comments:

Review by joecon See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA
Good "Fast...fast...fast!!!!"
Bad "Router is not that great"
Overall "Get it if you can!!!"

Got my fios installed on nov 30th, I'm loving it!!!! It took all day to install, most of that being running 500 feet of line to the house. The technician was fantastic and friendly. The router kind of sucks though. My old 802.11b sent out a much stronger signal to my 2nd computer. I did have to go get 2-25 feet lenghts of cable to reposition the router closer to my 2nd computer.

To make a long story short, everything was great!! Get it if you can!!!

Comments:

Review by bmarriott See Profile

• Location: Westborough,Worcester,MA
Good "Speed, Smooth Instalation"
Bad "none"
Overall "Great performance - for a low price"

I have had DSL for 5 years see

»Review of XO COMMUNICATIONS by bob marriott

and

»Review of Speakeasy by bmarriott

I love Speakeasy, I am very sad to say good bye to them - it was alot harder then you think but 50x download and 100x upload for $15 less a month is real hard to pass up. Goodbye web / dns / mail servers. Goodby static IP's (with reverse lookup). Goodbye a reliability that is unbelieveable (verizon wires actually).

Long Live Speakeasy....

Hello Verizon.

The NET-NET - On 11/21 I ordered 15/2 for $45. On 11/22 they ran the optics (@500 feet down a private shared road). On 11/29 The turned it on. Outstanding.

I ordered the 15Mb down / 2Mb up. I really considered going business for $99 but decided to save ISP and electricity $'s (three computers on 24 hours a day does add up). When I talked to the order people they mentioned that the 30/5 service came down in price to $59 - That is a price that is hard to say no to - but my wife helped me (15/2 at $45 sigh). I haven't seen or heard of that price anywhere else so it may be bad information - YMMV. Also the Techs thought the Business had gone to 5M/5M - man that is a tough entry price to beat - I imagine a lot of T1's / T3's will be in danger. I was in a business that went bust because of 3 T1's at $2100/Month.

They give a Dlink router for home - They want extra for a wireless, since I already have one I got wired from them. Seems to work fine.

They are doing PPPoE - one of hte reasons for thier router is that it supports PPPoE at this speed.

The Dr Ping times are wierd - the first run is always 300+ but subsequent runs are 60, its almost like they are calculating the routes in real time but once set they fly.

Other bad/good experiences?

A couple of nits: The tech's are new and are learning. It was actually fun to talk with them and help them understand some of the esoteric. Over the course of the two visits there were a total of 4 technicians over all and they were all great. They are very excited about the direction of the company although they wished they had better info and experience.

They say they stay till the service is up and they are - but Verizon has to get a better speed test server/app for their techs to use. Verizon's speed app varies between 4M and 9M down. When I go to speakeasy's (NY) or the east coast one here on DSL reports I get 14.6Mb+. I see a solid 16% on my 100Mbit Ether NEt and I get my downloads at rated speed. With thier app I was real bummed but reality is great.

Update 12/14 -

No problems. The speed is still great when I check it. Highly recommended

Comments:

Review by cjax See Profile

• Location: Parsippany,Morris,NJ
Good "Great Speed at a Good Price"
Bad "Installation leaves a little more to be desired"
Overall "Great value, very close to actual speed advertized"

I've had the Verizon 15/2 FiOS Internet service for about two weeks.

The technician arrived 9:30a.m. and left around 2:30p.m. I had a total of two computers hooked up. One computer was on the other side of the house from where the ONT was. This was not a problem being that this particular room sat above my garage. Running the cat 5e cables from the upstairs computer room, down to the garage and to the basement where the router resides was for the most part straight forward. The technician could have done more of a professional job by wrapping the slack cat 5e cable up. I later fixed this and it turned out to be 45 mins worth of work, taking the old staples holding in the cable fixing the cable run then restapling it.

Overall I am impressed with the speeds. I also appreciated how Verizon over provisions users so they can achieve close to the advertised speeds.

I've only had one issue since the install. One night I was getting only 4mpbs down and 2mbps up. This was an issue on both installed computers. I later learned that VZ was doing some work on one of the PON splitter boxes in the area. Connection speeds resumed to normal the next morning. I did appreciate that instead of losing my connection I was only slowed down.

Lastly as a disclaimer, I am a Verizon employee hence the 15/2 for $39.95
I have tried to provide an unbiased opinion of VZ FiOS as an ISP. If in your area I would recommend trying it out, as it seems so far to be reliable in uptime as well as in dl/ul speeds.

Comments:

Review by laudensa See Profile

• Location: Reston,Fairfax,VA
Good "Speed, reliability"
Overall "Fantastic. 3x the speed of Comcast, $10 less/mo,"

The wait from subcontractor running fiber from DLCs to the distribution boxes to actual availability was painful, but worth it! Best pre-sales info came from BBR - as usual - the Verizon pre-sales info was nice glossy marketing hype completely lacking in giving the whole picture of what to expect. Not a lot of detail.

Install coordination was fine - everything was ready to go when the tech showed up, on time.

On-line tech support is a bit simplistic. definitely not geared to IT pros or even advanced users, rather for people with limited experience using computers, and little desire to learn more. Having just skimmed through it to see what is offerred, the online tech support seems to have a "dots-for-tots" depth. No occasion to call for human tech support.

This was a very difficult install for the tech to accomplish, and in the end he could not run the Cat 5e cable from the ONT to my primary system quite as originally envisioned due to the physical construction of the house, but the tech really worked hard to get it the best way, and only settled for the alternate after we came to a mutual conclusion that it just couldn't be done. In the end it was a good job with a perfectly acceptable and professional appearance.

So far, no problems, just 100% uptime, and measured throughput of 14.92 down/1.83 up. The one thing I would hit them on is the Acceptable Use Policy, which forbids running servers. With this much bandwidth, it would be nice if those who had the capability and desire were allowed to run their own web/e-mail servers.

member for 14.3 years, 874 visits, last login: 1.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by SNOldak924 See Profile

• Location: Bethesda,Montgomery,MD
Good "speed, price, value"
Bad "none"
Overall "If you can, do it."

Called one night, asked for service, and they set up an appointment. From then on, everything was perfect. Tech support is ok, but I have local service with mci, so it takes 20 minutes to find my info. So much better than Comcast.

member for 11.5 years, 206 visits, last login: 7.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by jameshaley See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
Good "Solid connection, good speed, better price than comcast"
Bad "The supplied D-Link wireless router needs a periodic reboot."
Overall "Worth the money; a better value than comcast"

The connection has been very consistant. The install was about 2 hours.

The only negative is the router needs to be reset every so often; I'm waiting for new firmware.

member for 10.1 years, 1015 visits, last login: 1.1 years ago