Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1911 reviews (1452 good) (133 bad)

Review by bobbobbins See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA
Good "FAST AS HELL"
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "Terrific value and just blows Comcast out of the picture"

Had my Verizon fios installed today. I'm in Pittsburgh and scheduled connection over the internet from Verizon's site.

Installer came 9:30 AM & I was connected at 1PM.

Getting just over 15 Mb/s down and 1.8Mb/s up according to speak easy speed check.

Installation was smooth and the guy did a nice job with routing the cables etc.

Anyone using comcast cable internet should really ditch for FIOS! I was only getting 2Mb/s down on Comcast and 250kb/s up. The numbers speak for themselves.

Comments:

Review by stephenju See Profile

• Location: Bedford,Middlesex,MA
Good "Fast and cheaper than Comcast"
Bad "Order screwup delayed the installation for almost 4 months"
Overall "Worth the wait"

I placed my order in early July after my next door neighbor had it installed. The order went in at first, then the CSR called back saying there's issue in the system that I can't have it installed.

To make the story short, 4 months later they finally were able to order it for me and scheduled installation. But they still don't know what cause the issue. I wasn't so upset during the wait for I have Comcast working pretty well anyway.

The installation was on the past Monday and took about 4 hours. Tech was friendly and knowledgable. I ordered the 15M/2M package and after some optimization on the PCs, I am gettting the full speed I am paying for. Nice.

I am using my own WRT54GS router. Plug-n-play with out any problem. The new upload speed is the reason I got it. Uploading digital photos to my site no longer pains me.

All in all, it's great. I get faster speeds on bothe upload and download at the cheaper price than Comcat even with Comcast's bundle discount.

Comments:

Review by deft0nez See Profile

• Location: Beaumont,Riverside,CA
Good "Cheap, ultra fast and reliable"
Bad "Well i know its new and all just kinda sucked to wait for them to come and install"
Overall "Im very pleased with this product, i totally recommend it"

Hello,

I called to inquire about Fios from a number supplied by a dslreport member to see if Fios was available in my area yet and being that I just moved into our new house Fiber had been installed. I found this out earlier when i spoken too a verizon technician working on one of the phone companys cabinets. When i called the csr couldn't pull up any info on my location because the area was new and no one was showing up so i began calling every week and to my surprise about the 2 week into it i was approved! I had to wait about a good week for the install date, as for the install everything went great. Three techs came for the install and knocked it out really quick. I went along with the hardline router that verizon supplied and the packaged i ordered was the 15/2mb one. All and all im very stoked with my verizon fios, i remembered when we ran the first speed test and i saw the results i was so excited, wierd but i was =D. In closing i just wanna say that verizon fios is awesome, its a great product and a wise investment. Thank you Verizon!!

Comments:

Review by srmadsen See Profile

• Location: Plano,Collin,TX
Good "Excellent installation quality. Installer happily did everything I wanted."
Bad "Difficulty in determining whether my area was live yet."
Overall "Very satisifed -- Can't wait for FIOS TV"

The most difficult part about getting FIOS live at my home was wading through the Verizion web sites, and support centers until I got to the right group. After that it was too simple. I placed my order on Oct 20 with a Nov 1 install date. They could have installed within 4 days after order, but I was unavailable. I chose the date and time of installation.

The day after my order the pre-wire team was at my home when I left for work at 8:30am burying the Fiber between their box and my garage wall. I was impressed by that!

On the date of installation, the installer arrived 15 minutes early, and finished in 2.5 hours. ONT outside, battery backup on other side of wall in garage, and Cat5 cable from ONT to upstairs office. Attic was open from ONT to office wall making in very easy for installer. After installation was complete, the installer walked me through the entire installation, and answered all my questions.

My LinkSys Wireless G router works fine as a replacement for the standard D-Link router. Vonage is also working fine. I signed up for 5/2 service and am receiving > 5mbps download speed. However, I've not gotten over 1.7mbps upload speed. But since that's about 7X faster than what I was getting before I'm still way happy! If it continues, I'll give Verizon's tech support a test.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the product, the installation, and the price. I can't wait to ditch Comcast for FIOS TV.

Comments:

Review by Edrick See Profile

• Location: Woburn,Middlesex,MA
Good "Fast, Reliable, Great Price"

I have had Verizon FIOS since april. The service has never gone down except once at night at 3 AM for network maitnence. Never had a speed issue. The installer was nice and did a great job.

member for 9.6 years, 4450 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Smiles17 See Profile

• Location: Sudbury,Middlesex,MA
Good "Snappy"
Bad "Battery backup"
Overall "Great value, problem-free"

Previously I had both Comcast and Verizon DSL. My town wasn't even announced for FIOS this year, but they deployed it at the beginning of October. I immediately switched the DSL to FIOS, and after a week of happy FIOS use, terminated Comcast.

I ordered 15M/2M service, and it's been very reliable. The 2Mbps up has typically run between 1.1-1.5Mbps. The 15Mbps down has been consistently 14.5+. It's on PPPoE with a dynamic IP.

When I ordered the service over the phone, I was told it was $39 per month, and because I was a DSL customer I would get an additional $5 off. When my first bill arrived, I saw that it was $49/mo with a $10/mo discount for the contract term (12 months), and no $5 off. I called and they said the rep I ordered with was wrong. I can't say I appreciate being misquoted a price, and the rep that told me the correct price was fairly rude and had a terrible attitude. (Probably the worst Verizon rep I've had ever, but I can't think of any other negative Verizon reps and I've been using Verizon or its predecessors for many years.)

But the service itself has been stellar. I'm concerned about the duration of the battery backup in the unit they installed as I often lose power, but it wouldn't be any better if I was using Comcast for voice and data.

Comments:

Review by Jdargan See Profile

• Location: Manhattan Beach,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Speed, low cost, ease of installation"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Worth getting."

I ordered the service Oct 19. The tech came on Oct 26 to connect the fibre optic from the curb to the house and install a new box on the outside (I didn't need to be home for this as it's all outside work). That lasted about 90 minutes. The inside installation lasted about 4 hours on Oct 28. Two boxes (included battery back-up which lasts up to 8 hours) were installed in the garage and a CAT-5 line was run along the outside of the house to my home office on the second floor at the back of the house. A quick drill through the wall under the window, a new jack and then the new modem was plugged in. Worked first time.

I bought the 5Mpbs down/2 Mbps up package for $29.99/month for the first year. ( I already had a Verizon DSL line 750kbps/250kbps for abut 6 years with no problems). I'm getting 4-5Mbps consistently down and about 1.8Mbps up.

Things to note: since I live in LA I wanted to be able to use my phone in an emergency (if/when the Big One hits) and didn't want to rely on a battery pack. So I didn't switch my Verizon phone lines to the Fios service. Not a problem other than it makes it harder for Verizon customer service to find my order and you charge it directly to a credit card.

Also you need to call to turn off your DSL account to avoid being double charged.

The tech mentioned that the Fios TV service will probably roll out early in 2006.

Comments:

Review by weaver See Profile

• Location: Bowie,Prince Georges,MD
Good "Fast and stable; cheap compared to Comcast"
Bad "Phone switch to fiber was not coordinated smoothly"
Overall "The internet just plain works right out of the box"

I was lucky enough to see a message from jackrussel that Bowie, MD was accepting FIOS orders. I hadn't been checking availability regularly. I called up and got an install date about a week later. I had to reschedule due to a pressing project at work; rescheduling was no problem, and I got an appointment for the following week.

I opted for the 5/2 package, and got it for $34.95 a month with the first month free and free installation with a one year committment. They will switch your phone over to fiber by default; they're trying to get rid of the copper, but you could probably ask them to keep the copper for now if you want to.

The install was handled by an experienced guy who knew what he was doing, and a trainee. They installed an Optical Network Terminal (ONT), a control box, and a battery backup for the phone over fiber, ran CAT 5 to the room where my computer is, installed a D-Link Dl-604 router, and configured the computer to use the router. You need a power outlet for the control box and battery backup combination. Installation includes a CD for software to use with the service, which, thankfully, they did not install. They said it was a way to take up ~300 MB of hard drive space.

The installers were professional and fast. They did the above in two hours. The snag came when it was time to test the phone for a dialtone; it didn't have one. The problem turned out to be on the Cental Office end, where my order had been mishandled. They needed to switch me over to the fiber optic side, and that took another two and a half hours. No big deal to me, I don't use the phone that much anyway.

So far, the internet worked right out of the box, and everything has worked fine since the initial install. There have been no slowdowns yet, but that could happen if the increase in users outstrips their expansion of capacity; we'll just wait and see on that.

member for 12.3 years, 4933 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by litkaj See Profile

• Location: Exton,Chester,PA
Good "So fast I almost fell out of my chair on the first speed test."
Bad "The install took forever and their router must be used for full speed."
Overall "Great speed at minimal expense"

Ordered 15/2 residential service @ $44.99 (1-year contract) when I moved to a new apartment instead of moving the Verizon DSL (3.0/768).

The install was scheduled 2 weeks after I called to order so it's a good thing I called 2 weeks before I moved in. It ended up being hooked up the day before I moved in.

First, some bad news. The install took FOREVER. The woman doing my installation took about 5 hours for the external install and then the two of us worked together for the next 90 minutes to route the CAT5 inside to my office. Without my help it would have taken her at least twice as long. Plan on taking at least one day off of work (she told me that she had to go back to her previous day's appt. because it wasn't working when she left the day before).

Next, some good news. Fiber is fast as hell. With the free D-Link DI-604 I can pull 14.7/1.75 out of my rated 15/2 on Speakeasy's Washington D.C. and New York City tests.

On that, more bad news. I have two other routers here: a Linksys BEFSX41 and a WRT54G v2. The WRT54G won't break 8.6/1.2 and the BEFSX41 won't break 10/1.6, despite both having 10/100 WAN ports. It looks like whatever modifications Verizon made to this little D-Link router make all the difference. As such, I no longer have VPN connectivity to my office because the DI-604 doesn't have a built-in end-point. I'd like to get something better (with VPN capabilities) but I'd hate to go out and spend $100-200 and then find out that I can still only move 10-11Mbps through it.

Overall, I'm really pleased with my service. There was one connectivity issue about a week in where my data service was mysteriously turned off on their end but it was back up a day later after I complained to the Fiber Solutions Center (although my Verizon Online account, including my email and newsgroup access, was down for another 4 days, over the holiday weekend). They issued me a credit on my bill for the downtime. The only other thing I'm not real happy about is that the service uses PPPoE. I don't see any reason why they couldn't have gone with something a little more reliable like DHCP.

Comments:

Review by icenfire2u See Profile

• Location: Lewisville,Denton,TX
Good "The speed is great; no outages so far"
Bad "none"
Overall "worth the money; reliable and consistent speeds"

Had fios installed on Sept 9th. So far have had no outages as compared to comcast having an outage the very first day I had it installed. The installation went great. It only took about 2 hours. I would recommend this service to anyone who can get it. I am anxiously awaiting the deployment of Fios Tv so I can get rid of comcast totally.