Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1930 reviews (1457 good) (141 bad)

Review by Auyantepui See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
Good "SUPER-Fast with 15/2 package!"
Bad "Daisy-chained Access Point (Linksys) fails to deliver full speed."
Overall "Get it the moment it becomes available! You won't regret it!"

Beats DirecWay 7000 by a mile at more competitive price! Excellent installation process with cooperative & knowledgeable techs w/ no sloppy workmanship.

Comments:

Review by mrkiker See Profile

• Location: Rowlett,Dallas,TX
Good "High Speed, Low Pings"
Bad "None Yet"
Overall "Great Value for the Money"

I live in Waterview and got FIOS installed about two weeks ago. So far, it's great. I was very happy with my Comcast cable service, but wanted to give this a try since we were having intermittent problems with our AT&T CallVantage VOIP service during certain times of the day. We are no longer experiencing those now that we have the FIOS.

The installer was very friendly. I worked from home that day to help him out. The install would have taken about 2 hours, but he ran into problems. It turned out to be some faulty equipment (not sure if it was what's on the outside of the house, or inside the garage). Once he replaced it, everything was great. It took a little work on my part to get my wireless router and VOIP router to play nice with the FIOS router, but that's to be expected.

Speed tests from www.testmy.net show I'm getting the advertised 15 down and 2 up. My ping in my favorite CS:S server is a constant '5'. That's right, FIVE.

Nothing more to say, get this if you can.

Comments:

Review by TheDarkElf See Profile

• Location: Mclean,Fairfax,VA
Good "Connection Speed as Advertised, Stable, Newsgroups, Smooth Installation"
Bad "Switches your phone to fiber optics (battery backup)"
Overall "If FIOS is available in your area, take advantage of the speed, price, and reliability"

Pre-Sales:

Since I was itching to get FIOS, I checked the website every week to see if I would be able to get the service. I finally was able to get it and ordered it through their website. The day before the installation I recieved an automated phone call reminding me that the installatation would take place the following day. I never needed to talk to a Verizon representative; it was completeled automated and smooth.

Installation:

The installation was divided into two shifts over the course of the whole day. In the first shift, a contractor came to bury the fiber optic from my newly installed fiber box in the backyard to the house. I told him there was an invisible dog fence and he needed to be careful. He told me that the cable needed to be cut, but that he would splice it after he was done. After the work was done, I checked the dog fence and it worked. Verizon's contractors are much more pleasent to deal with than with the Cox contractor who cut my line and didn't bother fixing it.

In the second shift, a verizon FIOS technician came and installed the ONT (Optical Network Terminal). From the ONT, he ran a Cat 5 cable into the study room through the attic. He was a quiet but very clean man who made sure he didn't leave any mess. The technician also moved my phone line to the new fiber optic unit. After finishing with the ONT, he installed the free D-link router and installed the verizon software. This part went quickly and took only 15 minutes. In totallity, the installation lasted from about 9-5PM. Despite the long hours, this was the best installation I've went through.

Performance:

Through the DSLreports tests, I get my advertised speed, 15mbits down and 2 mbits up, througout the day. Since FIOS is new to the area, the system is subject to new users and the performance may deteriorate. My pings are excellent. I ping a local server about 20 miles away and I get 4ms. When I ping the west coast, i get in the 40-50ms. FIOS is an ideal service for gamers.

I've had FIOS for about one month and have had 100% uptime using pingplotter.

Misc:

The only problem I have with FIOS is that they switch your phone line to the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) which uses a battery backup that provides 8 hours of voice service, not internet service.

Another added bonus of using Verizon's service, is their newsgroups, which provide 10 days of retention and good speeds (300KB-900KB). Overall, i'm pleased with service and recommended it.

member for 13.6 years, 2541 visits, last login: 4.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by sgapac See Profile

• Location: Germantown,Montgomery,MD
Good "Very stable,Very fast"
Bad "Changes IP frequently,but not really a prob."
Overall "If available,get it"

I have been with Comcast for several years,decent service, poor support,and they appear to be working on their lines all the time. Approximately 6 weeks after verizon burried the orange conduits I happened to go to their site and see if service was available.Much to my suprise IT WAS. I ordered online and was given an installation date. I still couldn't believe that it was truly available, so I called to verify the order and installation date and again was suprised that it was verified. The night before the installation a subcontractor showed up to bury a cable in my yard.Took about a half hour and did a nice job in putting the grass back.The next day the installers showed up, two very nice and knowledgeable guys who went out of their way to do the install the way I wanted it .Took about 2 hours ,everything was transferred over. I wanted to use my belkin router, which they said was fine, but I couldn't get it configured right. So the tech set up the Dlink router and got it set up immeadiatly The techs .were very helpful and friendly.

I have now had the service about 5 weeks and found it to be verrrrry fast and stable with low pings. I have the 15/2 service at 44 dollars per month (8 dollars cheaper than comcast). I get full speeds all the time no drops.

I have had to go through several routers to establish a stable network that can handle the bandwidth. Finally settled on Linksys WRT54GX as router and using the belkin pre n as an additional access point . The belkin is a better access point but not as good a router. the linksys is a better router. Now I have excellent coverage throughout the house and full throughput ( always 14800 or better )

Bottom line is , If its available get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

member for 14 years, 6294 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Need BB See Profile

• Location: Westwood,Norfolk,MA
Good "Fast, Reliable, and CHEAP"
Bad "If FIOS goes down, so do your telephone lines"
Overall "No reason to stick around with old technology!"

I had Earthlink Cable powered by Comcast and it was great. I got great download speeds and had low pings. About a year ago, Verizon announced that my town would be getting FIOS. I was really excited and painfully waited. The came it was available I ordered it, and about two weeks later, two techs came to do the pre-install work. They dropped a fiber cable from the pole to my house and tested to make sure that there was a signal. The techs were great and did what I requested. The next day they came back to complete the install. I instructed them to install the new NID in the basement and remove the one outside the house. They moved my two POTS line to the FIOS, moved all the wires from the old NID to the new one, and even made sure that my VOIP line still worked throughout the house's inside wiring. The speeds and ping are AWESOME. For the same price as I was paying for cable, I have a connection three times faster.

The only problem was that the FIOS went down once and I lost my internet and phone. Other than that, it has been working great and I highly recommend it!

member for 12.7 years, 2828 visits, last login: 335 days ago

Comments:

Review by bobbobbins See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA
Good "FAST AS HELL"
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "Terrific value and just blows Comcast out of the picture"

Had my Verizon fios installed today. I'm in Pittsburgh and scheduled connection over the internet from Verizon's site.

Installer came 9:30 AM & I was connected at 1PM.

Getting just over 15 Mb/s down and 1.8Mb/s up according to speak easy speed check.

Installation was smooth and the guy did a nice job with routing the cables etc.

Anyone using comcast cable internet should really ditch for FIOS! I was only getting 2Mb/s down on Comcast and 250kb/s up. The numbers speak for themselves.

Comments:

Review by stephenju See Profile

• Location: Bedford,Middlesex,MA
Good "Fast and cheaper than Comcast"
Bad "Order screwup delayed the installation for almost 4 months"
Overall "Worth the wait"

I placed my order in early July after my next door neighbor had it installed. The order went in at first, then the CSR called back saying there's issue in the system that I can't have it installed.

To make the story short, 4 months later they finally were able to order it for me and scheduled installation. But they still don't know what cause the issue. I wasn't so upset during the wait for I have Comcast working pretty well anyway.

The installation was on the past Monday and took about 4 hours. Tech was friendly and knowledgable. I ordered the 15M/2M package and after some optimization on the PCs, I am gettting the full speed I am paying for. Nice.

I am using my own WRT54GS router. Plug-n-play with out any problem. The new upload speed is the reason I got it. Uploading digital photos to my site no longer pains me.

All in all, it's great. I get faster speeds on bothe upload and download at the cheaper price than Comcat even with Comcast's bundle discount.

member for 12.3 years, 3054 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by deft0nez See Profile

• Location: Beaumont,Riverside,CA
Good "Cheap, ultra fast and reliable"
Bad "Well i know its new and all just kinda sucked to wait for them to come and install"
Overall "Im very pleased with this product, i totally recommend it"

Hello,

I called to inquire about Fios from a number supplied by a dslreport member to see if Fios was available in my area yet and being that I just moved into our new house Fiber had been installed. I found this out earlier when i spoken too a verizon technician working on one of the phone companys cabinets. When i called the csr couldn't pull up any info on my location because the area was new and no one was showing up so i began calling every week and to my surprise about the 2 week into it i was approved! I had to wait about a good week for the install date, as for the install everything went great. Three techs came for the install and knocked it out really quick. I went along with the hardline router that verizon supplied and the packaged i ordered was the 15/2mb one. All and all im very stoked with my verizon fios, i remembered when we ran the first speed test and i saw the results i was so excited, wierd but i was =D. In closing i just wanna say that verizon fios is awesome, its a great product and a wise investment. Thank you Verizon!!

Comments:

Review by srmadsen See Profile

• Location: Plano,Collin,TX
Good "Excellent installation quality. Installer happily did everything I wanted."
Bad "Difficulty in determining whether my area was live yet."
Overall "Very satisifed -- Can't wait for FIOS TV"

The most difficult part about getting FIOS live at my home was wading through the Verizion web sites, and support centers until I got to the right group. After that it was too simple. I placed my order on Oct 20 with a Nov 1 install date. They could have installed within 4 days after order, but I was unavailable. I chose the date and time of installation.

The day after my order the pre-wire team was at my home when I left for work at 8:30am burying the Fiber between their box and my garage wall. I was impressed by that!

On the date of installation, the installer arrived 15 minutes early, and finished in 2.5 hours. ONT outside, battery backup on other side of wall in garage, and Cat5 cable from ONT to upstairs office. Attic was open from ONT to office wall making in very easy for installer. After installation was complete, the installer walked me through the entire installation, and answered all my questions.

My LinkSys Wireless G router works fine as a replacement for the standard D-Link router. Vonage is also working fine. I signed up for 5/2 service and am receiving > 5mbps download speed. However, I've not gotten over 1.7mbps upload speed. But since that's about 7X faster than what I was getting before I'm still way happy! If it continues, I'll give Verizon's tech support a test.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the product, the installation, and the price. I can't wait to ditch Comcast for FIOS TV.

Comments:

Review by Edrick See Profile

• Location: Woburn,Middlesex,MA
Good "Fast, Reliable, Great Price"

I have had Verizon FIOS since april. The service has never gone down except once at night at 3 AM for network maitnence. Never had a speed issue. The installer was nice and did a great job.

member for 10 years, 4611 visits, last login: a few hours ago