Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1954 reviews (1463 good) (148 bad)

Review by Miike See Profile

• Location: Hillsboro,Washington,OR
Good "upload speed is awesome. download speed is just as good. stable"
Bad "idiots they hire...."
Overall "great service..once you get it"

Start off with a quick blurb on the 3 for tech support. mostly due to i had originally had a 11/4/05 install date. and no one showed up.i had to wake up early due to me working graveyard for them. and waited by couch by front window and no one came.. i called and i get lied to saying they came out and no one was home..i was little irritated. but a supervisor i talked to got a new date for the 9th, while on the phone with him. I asked him that because i rent do i need written permisson. he told me no. another person told me know i talked to during the many phone calls to find out what was going on. and the supervisor told my girlfriend the same thing when he called back. so on the 9th.verizon shows up on time. the guy goes where is your permission for us to install. i was like. uhh i was told by 2 people i didnt need it. and my girlfriend was told the same thing..then he went on about how he wont do it with out it. now being 1230 and being up all after 3hours of sleep, i was cranky and getting pissed. so i said. okay i will have my mangement fax it over. because a fax is a legal binding document. then he was like no i need a hard copy. not a faxed copy.. iwas pissed off at that point and he went and looked at wher ethe stuff was to be installed and left...didnt say anything bout rescheduling or anything..so i called verizon to just cancel the order for now. and i called the fios number that was in the email. and had to tell the story of both those problems to 5 people before someone would cancel it..week later when i was less pissed off. decided 3rd times a charm. ordered the service to be installed one week later. drove hour away to get a hard copy signed permission for them to install. help them detail write on letter what the installation was to do.. just to cover all grounds. and on 11/22 they show up at 9:30 and start the installation 2 hours later. they are done, seemed quick and easy. the ONT was on other side of wall from where my computers were and where the bbu was hooked up. i got uber fast net. better sounding phone. and the really annoying part, THESE GUYS DIDNT EVEN ASK FOR THAT STUPID LETTER. but i was tired being up 4hours passed my bedtime..played a little with the net setting up all my routers and stuff... but man the speeds are great even at the 15/2 plan...i just really enjoy the nice upload speed mostly.. and downloading off newsgrounds at insane speeds...so after all the headache...well worth it. now to cancel my unstable comcast yaye..

Comments:

Review by AHHH_FIOS See Profile

• Location: Collegeville,Montgomery,PA
Good "Screaming Fast, Upload Speed Untouchable, Fiberific!"
Bad "Ripped up lawn, but not that bad."
Overall "Worth every penny and more!"

The total time from start to finish was 3.5 hours.

Tech was very professional, polite and even fixed a telcom issue I was having! He installed the battery backup next to my breaker box in my basement. I have every room wired for two cat 5 and they home run to my basement. Each room in my house can share the 15/2.

Vonage Router didn't want to play nice (anyone have any luck getting a vonage router to work with FIOS). So for now I'm using the Linksys 4 port router that comes free.

Getting speeds above the advertised 15/2 so I'm very happy.

They dug the conduit and pulled the fiber the same day.

All and all, I'm very impressed!

Comments:

Review by cal516 See Profile

• Location: Severna Park,Anne Arundel,MD
Good "Fast, fast, fast."
Bad "None yet."
Overall "Very Impressive !!!"

Ordered 15000/2000 FiOS service the day Verizon notified me it was available - this is a dynamic IP, PPPoE set-up.

Install was scheduled 14 days later. Fiber was strung from pole to house (not a buried area) the very next day.

Techs showed on time, were friendly, well informed, and very neat in their work - a high class installation. Got the standard equipment package ONT outside near phone box, power supply & battery back-up indoors. They ran Cat-5 from ONT fully 1/2 the way around my house to my main computer area - the run is virtually invisible. I opted for the free Verizon supplied D-Link VDI-604 hard wired router and have my old "b" Microsoft wireless router plugged in as an access point for 1 PC and my TiVo.

Consistently getting 14950ish up and 1850ish down on speed tests, except the wireless portion of my network which is at 6500ish up and 1200ish down.

Package deal was 39.95/mo for 1 year contract plus router and $50 rebate with free install.

I'm pretty impressed.

member for 13.4 years, 132 visits, last login: 2.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by jjv0305 See Profile

• Location: Midlothian,Chesterfield,VA
Good "Fiber upgrade on all line (including voice)"
Bad "Physical location constraints added to install time"
Overall "So far so good!"

Just got the service turned up (11/14) and is performing as advertised. Verizon very upfront and accomodating with pre-install info and answering questions. Though a several day process (cable run and burial, etc) things went smooth during actual install.

Install Tech (Terry) very accomodating with special requests (ie. equipment locations, jack install, extra Cat 5, longer custom patch cord) etc.

Deal specifics: $45/month, 1st month free (I get to compare Comcast with Verizon side-by-side), MSN Premium thrown in (I get to keep my e-mail address and save $20/month), D-Link router, ONT (fiber-to-copper/digital-to-analog device), all inside wiring running to fiber (crystal clear voice). While the monthly costs are the same for Comcast, I get 3 times the speed and I don't carry a separate cost for MSN so effectively, 3 times the speed for $20/month less.

I am a happy camper...stay tuned for periodic updates during the month.

Comments:

Review by winstoda See Profile

• Location: Middletown,New Castle,DE
Good "Blazing Speeds at an Excellent Price"
Bad "None other than a very long install process"
Overall "If it's available in your area, get it. Now!!!"

I live in an area where there have been no broadband options for a very long time (Middletown, Delaware). All of the sudden over the past several months the broadband options started to appear. The local cable company rolled out hi-speed access and Verizon started to dig up all of the developments to install fiber. I haven't been a Verizon customer for many years. I have always had Cavalier for telephone service. So when checking the FiOS website to see if I was eligible to receive service I was told no dice. No dice even though all of my neighbors were eligible for service. I called the local Verizon office to plead my case but was told my address did not qualify. So I called up the cable company and went the cable route. Big mistake.

My tenure as a cable customer was very short. About 6 weeks. To make a long story short the outages were frequent and the speeds weren't what they should have been. Luckily I checked the FiOS website again and the glitch preventing me from receiving service was fixed. So I called the toll free number to place an order. After speaking to a very nice lady on October 27th I was all set for a November 9th install. I never received an email acknowledging the order which made me a little nervous. So I called back the next day. Good thing I did because Verizon had no record of my order. Thankfully they fixed me up and my original install appointment was still available. The associate assured me that someone would be out to mark the grass and then to dig the line.

The night before the scheduled install I realized that no digging had taken place. So I called Verizon and was assured there was no problem and that everything would still occur on schedule the next morning. The Verizon tech arrived at about 10:30 the next morning. He wasn't pleased that the digging hadn't happened yet but assured me he would call the crew out and that we would still be doing the install the same day. When the contracted crew arrived to do the digging arrived they quickly concluded that the easement was too narrow and crowded to utilize. The only option was to dig up every yard between my house and the "vault". This is like 5 yards! He said he couldn't do this without each property owner's permission. The Verizon tech and the contractor spoke for a few minutes and resolved the issue because digging quickly began.

This was a big job because it took them about 5 hours. The Verizon tech took care of the inside wiring and did a very nice job. I have no basement so the battery backup is hidden in a closet. He finished all he could until the work crew outside was finished. Finally he had the service turned on at about 6:00 that evening. A very long day for all involved.

I opted for the free wired router since I already had a wireless Linksys. He did try to configure the service with my Linksys but we couldn't get the speeds as high as they should have been (I got the 15/2 service). So he ended up hooking up the wired router which did achieve the 15/2. I went through the process of choosing a username and accepting the user agreement. Then he took off.

I've come to the conclusion that the Linksys can't handle the PPPoE fast enough to achieve the 15/2. My first solution was to go to Best Buy and pick up the wireless Dlink 624. But I brought it back once I saw how pitiful the wireless range was on it. Next I connected the wired Dlink and added the Linksys as an access point behind it. This did the trick. I get 14.8/2 wireless. I'm very pleased with this.

Bottom line is the service rocks. I have Vonage and that works flawlessly. 15/2 for $44.95 is amazing. The cable company wanted $64.95 for 5/512k . And the cable speeds at night were more like 1.2/300k. FiOS is great. Just be sure they do all the digging BEFORE the day of your appointment.

Comments:

Review by Auyantepui See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
Good "SUPER-Fast with 15/2 package!"
Bad "Daisy-chained Access Point (Linksys) fails to deliver full speed."
Overall "Get it the moment it becomes available! You won't regret it!"

Beats DirecWay 7000 by a mile at more competitive price! Excellent installation process with cooperative & knowledgeable techs w/ no sloppy workmanship.

Comments:

Review by mrkiker See Profile

• Location: Rowlett,Dallas,TX
Good "High Speed, Low Pings"
Bad "None Yet"
Overall "Great Value for the Money"

I live in Waterview and got FIOS installed about two weeks ago. So far, it's great. I was very happy with my Comcast cable service, but wanted to give this a try since we were having intermittent problems with our AT&T CallVantage VOIP service during certain times of the day. We are no longer experiencing those now that we have the FIOS.

The installer was very friendly. I worked from home that day to help him out. The install would have taken about 2 hours, but he ran into problems. It turned out to be some faulty equipment (not sure if it was what's on the outside of the house, or inside the garage). Once he replaced it, everything was great. It took a little work on my part to get my wireless router and VOIP router to play nice with the FIOS router, but that's to be expected.

Speed tests from www.testmy.net show I'm getting the advertised 15 down and 2 up. My ping in my favorite CS:S server is a constant '5'. That's right, FIVE.

Nothing more to say, get this if you can.

Comments:

Review by TheDarkElf See Profile

• Location: Mclean,Fairfax,VA
Good "Connection Speed as Advertised, Stable, Newsgroups, Smooth Installation"
Bad "Switches your phone to fiber optics (battery backup)"
Overall "If FIOS is available in your area, take advantage of the speed, price, and reliability"

Pre-Sales:

Since I was itching to get FIOS, I checked the website every week to see if I would be able to get the service. I finally was able to get it and ordered it through their website. The day before the installation I recieved an automated phone call reminding me that the installatation would take place the following day. I never needed to talk to a Verizon representative; it was completeled automated and smooth.

Installation:

The installation was divided into two shifts over the course of the whole day. In the first shift, a contractor came to bury the fiber optic from my newly installed fiber box in the backyard to the house. I told him there was an invisible dog fence and he needed to be careful. He told me that the cable needed to be cut, but that he would splice it after he was done. After the work was done, I checked the dog fence and it worked. Verizon's contractors are much more pleasent to deal with than with the Cox contractor who cut my line and didn't bother fixing it.

In the second shift, a verizon FIOS technician came and installed the ONT (Optical Network Terminal). From the ONT, he ran a Cat 5 cable into the study room through the attic. He was a quiet but very clean man who made sure he didn't leave any mess. The technician also moved my phone line to the new fiber optic unit. After finishing with the ONT, he installed the free D-link router and installed the verizon software. This part went quickly and took only 15 minutes. In totallity, the installation lasted from about 9-5PM. Despite the long hours, this was the best installation I've went through.

Performance:

Through the DSLreports tests, I get my advertised speed, 15mbits down and 2 mbits up, througout the day. Since FIOS is new to the area, the system is subject to new users and the performance may deteriorate. My pings are excellent. I ping a local server about 20 miles away and I get 4ms. When I ping the west coast, i get in the 40-50ms. FIOS is an ideal service for gamers.

I've had FIOS for about one month and have had 100% uptime using pingplotter.

Misc:

The only problem I have with FIOS is that they switch your phone line to the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) which uses a battery backup that provides 8 hours of voice service, not internet service.

Another added bonus of using Verizon's service, is their newsgroups, which provide 10 days of retention and good speeds (300KB-900KB). Overall, i'm pleased with service and recommended it.

Comments:

Review by sgapac See Profile

• Location: Germantown,Montgomery,MD
Good "Very stable,Very fast"
Bad "Changes IP frequently,but not really a prob."
Overall "If available,get it"

I have been with Comcast for several years,decent service, poor support,and they appear to be working on their lines all the time. Approximately 6 weeks after verizon burried the orange conduits I happened to go to their site and see if service was available.Much to my suprise IT WAS. I ordered online and was given an installation date. I still couldn't believe that it was truly available, so I called to verify the order and installation date and again was suprised that it was verified. The night before the installation a subcontractor showed up to bury a cable in my yard.Took about a half hour and did a nice job in putting the grass back.The next day the installers showed up, two very nice and knowledgeable guys who went out of their way to do the install the way I wanted it .Took about 2 hours ,everything was transferred over. I wanted to use my belkin router, which they said was fine, but I couldn't get it configured right. So the tech set up the Dlink router and got it set up immeadiatly The techs .were very helpful and friendly.

I have now had the service about 5 weeks and found it to be verrrrry fast and stable with low pings. I have the 15/2 service at 44 dollars per month (8 dollars cheaper than comcast). I get full speeds all the time no drops.

I have had to go through several routers to establish a stable network that can handle the bandwidth. Finally settled on Linksys WRT54GX as router and using the belkin pre n as an additional access point . The belkin is a better access point but not as good a router. the linksys is a better router. Now I have excellent coverage throughout the house and full throughput ( always 14800 or better )

Bottom line is , If its available get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

member for 14.5 years, 6468 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Need BB See Profile

• Location: Westwood,Norfolk,MA
Good "Fast, Reliable, and CHEAP"
Bad "If FIOS goes down, so do your telephone lines"
Overall "No reason to stick around with old technology!"

I had Earthlink Cable powered by Comcast and it was great. I got great download speeds and had low pings. About a year ago, Verizon announced that my town would be getting FIOS. I was really excited and painfully waited. The came it was available I ordered it, and about two weeks later, two techs came to do the pre-install work. They dropped a fiber cable from the pole to my house and tested to make sure that there was a signal. The techs were great and did what I requested. The next day they came back to complete the install. I instructed them to install the new NID in the basement and remove the one outside the house. They moved my two POTS line to the FIOS, moved all the wires from the old NID to the new one, and even made sure that my VOIP line still worked throughout the house's inside wiring. The speeds and ping are AWESOME. For the same price as I was paying for cable, I have a connection three times faster.

The only problem was that the FIOS went down once and I lost my internet and phone. Other than that, it has been working great and I highly recommend it!

member for 13.1 years, 2828 visits, last login: 1.3 years ago