Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1922 reviews (1454 good) (139 bad)

Review by sgapac See Profile

• Location: Germantown,Montgomery,MD
Good "Very stable,Very fast"
Bad "Changes IP frequently,but not really a prob."
Overall "If available,get it"

I have been with Comcast for several years,decent service, poor support,and they appear to be working on their lines all the time. Approximately 6 weeks after verizon burried the orange conduits I happened to go to their site and see if service was available.Much to my suprise IT WAS. I ordered online and was given an installation date. I still couldn't believe that it was truly available, so I called to verify the order and installation date and again was suprised that it was verified. The night before the installation a subcontractor showed up to bury a cable in my yard.Took about a half hour and did a nice job in putting the grass back.The next day the installers showed up, two very nice and knowledgeable guys who went out of their way to do the install the way I wanted it .Took about 2 hours ,everything was transferred over. I wanted to use my belkin router, which they said was fine, but I couldn't get it configured right. So the tech set up the Dlink router and got it set up immeadiatly The techs .were very helpful and friendly.

I have now had the service about 5 weeks and found it to be verrrrry fast and stable with low pings. I have the 15/2 service at 44 dollars per month (8 dollars cheaper than comcast). I get full speeds all the time no drops.

I have had to go through several routers to establish a stable network that can handle the bandwidth. Finally settled on Linksys WRT54GX as router and using the belkin pre n as an additional access point . The belkin is a better access point but not as good a router. the linksys is a better router. Now I have excellent coverage throughout the house and full throughput ( always 14800 or better )

Bottom line is , If its available get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

member for 13.9 years, 6222 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Need BB See Profile

• Location: Westwood,Norfolk,MA
Good "Fast, Reliable, and CHEAP"
Bad "If FIOS goes down, so do your telephone lines"
Overall "No reason to stick around with old technology!"

I had Earthlink Cable powered by Comcast and it was great. I got great download speeds and had low pings. About a year ago, Verizon announced that my town would be getting FIOS. I was really excited and painfully waited. The came it was available I ordered it, and about two weeks later, two techs came to do the pre-install work. They dropped a fiber cable from the pole to my house and tested to make sure that there was a signal. The techs were great and did what I requested. The next day they came back to complete the install. I instructed them to install the new NID in the basement and remove the one outside the house. They moved my two POTS line to the FIOS, moved all the wires from the old NID to the new one, and even made sure that my VOIP line still worked throughout the house's inside wiring. The speeds and ping are AWESOME. For the same price as I was paying for cable, I have a connection three times faster.

The only problem was that the FIOS went down once and I lost my internet and phone. Other than that, it has been working great and I highly recommend it!

member for 12.6 years, 2828 visits, last login: 272 days ago

Comments:

Review by bobbobbins See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA
Good "FAST AS HELL"
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "Terrific value and just blows Comcast out of the picture"

Had my Verizon fios installed today. I'm in Pittsburgh and scheduled connection over the internet from Verizon's site.

Installer came 9:30 AM & I was connected at 1PM.

Getting just over 15 Mb/s down and 1.8Mb/s up according to speak easy speed check.

Installation was smooth and the guy did a nice job with routing the cables etc.

Anyone using comcast cable internet should really ditch for FIOS! I was only getting 2Mb/s down on Comcast and 250kb/s up. The numbers speak for themselves.

Comments:

Review by stephenju See Profile

• Location: Bedford,Middlesex,MA
Good "Fast and cheaper than Comcast"
Bad "Order screwup delayed the installation for almost 4 months"
Overall "Worth the wait"

I placed my order in early July after my next door neighbor had it installed. The order went in at first, then the CSR called back saying there's issue in the system that I can't have it installed.

To make the story short, 4 months later they finally were able to order it for me and scheduled installation. But they still don't know what cause the issue. I wasn't so upset during the wait for I have Comcast working pretty well anyway.

The installation was on the past Monday and took about 4 hours. Tech was friendly and knowledgable. I ordered the 15M/2M package and after some optimization on the PCs, I am gettting the full speed I am paying for. Nice.

I am using my own WRT54GS router. Plug-n-play with out any problem. The new upload speed is the reason I got it. Uploading digital photos to my site no longer pains me.

All in all, it's great. I get faster speeds on bothe upload and download at the cheaper price than Comcat even with Comcast's bundle discount.

Comments:

Review by deft0nez See Profile

• Location: Beaumont,Riverside,CA
Good "Cheap, ultra fast and reliable"
Bad "Well i know its new and all just kinda sucked to wait for them to come and install"
Overall "Im very pleased with this product, i totally recommend it"

Hello,

I called to inquire about Fios from a number supplied by a dslreport member to see if Fios was available in my area yet and being that I just moved into our new house Fiber had been installed. I found this out earlier when i spoken too a verizon technician working on one of the phone companys cabinets. When i called the csr couldn't pull up any info on my location because the area was new and no one was showing up so i began calling every week and to my surprise about the 2 week into it i was approved! I had to wait about a good week for the install date, as for the install everything went great. Three techs came for the install and knocked it out really quick. I went along with the hardline router that verizon supplied and the packaged i ordered was the 15/2mb one. All and all im very stoked with my verizon fios, i remembered when we ran the first speed test and i saw the results i was so excited, wierd but i was =D. In closing i just wanna say that verizon fios is awesome, its a great product and a wise investment. Thank you Verizon!!

Comments:

Review by srmadsen See Profile

• Location: Plano,Collin,TX
Good "Excellent installation quality. Installer happily did everything I wanted."
Bad "Difficulty in determining whether my area was live yet."
Overall "Very satisifed -- Can't wait for FIOS TV"

The most difficult part about getting FIOS live at my home was wading through the Verizion web sites, and support centers until I got to the right group. After that it was too simple. I placed my order on Oct 20 with a Nov 1 install date. They could have installed within 4 days after order, but I was unavailable. I chose the date and time of installation.

The day after my order the pre-wire team was at my home when I left for work at 8:30am burying the Fiber between their box and my garage wall. I was impressed by that!

On the date of installation, the installer arrived 15 minutes early, and finished in 2.5 hours. ONT outside, battery backup on other side of wall in garage, and Cat5 cable from ONT to upstairs office. Attic was open from ONT to office wall making in very easy for installer. After installation was complete, the installer walked me through the entire installation, and answered all my questions.

My LinkSys Wireless G router works fine as a replacement for the standard D-Link router. Vonage is also working fine. I signed up for 5/2 service and am receiving > 5mbps download speed. However, I've not gotten over 1.7mbps upload speed. But since that's about 7X faster than what I was getting before I'm still way happy! If it continues, I'll give Verizon's tech support a test.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the product, the installation, and the price. I can't wait to ditch Comcast for FIOS TV.

Comments:

Review by Edrick See Profile

• Location: Woburn,Middlesex,MA
Good "Fast, Reliable, Great Price"

I have had Verizon FIOS since april. The service has never gone down except once at night at 3 AM for network maitnence. Never had a speed issue. The installer was nice and did a great job.

member for 9.8 years, 4530 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Smiles17 See Profile

• Location: Sudbury,Middlesex,MA
Good "Snappy"
Bad "Battery backup"
Overall "Great value, problem-free"

Previously I had both Comcast and Verizon DSL. My town wasn't even announced for FIOS this year, but they deployed it at the beginning of October. I immediately switched the DSL to FIOS, and after a week of happy FIOS use, terminated Comcast.

I ordered 15M/2M service, and it's been very reliable. The 2Mbps up has typically run between 1.1-1.5Mbps. The 15Mbps down has been consistently 14.5+. It's on PPPoE with a dynamic IP.

When I ordered the service over the phone, I was told it was $39 per month, and because I was a DSL customer I would get an additional $5 off. When my first bill arrived, I saw that it was $49/mo with a $10/mo discount for the contract term (12 months), and no $5 off. I called and they said the rep I ordered with was wrong. I can't say I appreciate being misquoted a price, and the rep that told me the correct price was fairly rude and had a terrible attitude. (Probably the worst Verizon rep I've had ever, but I can't think of any other negative Verizon reps and I've been using Verizon or its predecessors for many years.)

But the service itself has been stellar. I'm concerned about the duration of the battery backup in the unit they installed as I often lose power, but it wouldn't be any better if I was using Comcast for voice and data.

Comments:

Review by Jdargan See Profile

• Location: Manhattan Beach,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Speed, low cost, ease of installation"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Worth getting."

I ordered the service Oct 19. The tech came on Oct 26 to connect the fibre optic from the curb to the house and install a new box on the outside (I didn't need to be home for this as it's all outside work). That lasted about 90 minutes. The inside installation lasted about 4 hours on Oct 28. Two boxes (included battery back-up which lasts up to 8 hours) were installed in the garage and a CAT-5 line was run along the outside of the house to my home office on the second floor at the back of the house. A quick drill through the wall under the window, a new jack and then the new modem was plugged in. Worked first time.

I bought the 5Mpbs down/2 Mbps up package for $29.99/month for the first year. ( I already had a Verizon DSL line 750kbps/250kbps for abut 6 years with no problems). I'm getting 4-5Mbps consistently down and about 1.8Mbps up.

Things to note: since I live in LA I wanted to be able to use my phone in an emergency (if/when the Big One hits) and didn't want to rely on a battery pack. So I didn't switch my Verizon phone lines to the Fios service. Not a problem other than it makes it harder for Verizon customer service to find my order and you charge it directly to a credit card.

Also you need to call to turn off your DSL account to avoid being double charged.

The tech mentioned that the Fios TV service will probably roll out early in 2006.

Comments:

Review by weaver See Profile

• Location: Bowie,Prince Georges,MD
Good "Fast and stable; cheap compared to Comcast"
Bad "Phone switch to fiber was not coordinated smoothly"
Overall "The internet just plain works right out of the box"

I was lucky enough to see a message from jackrussel that Bowie, MD was accepting FIOS orders. I hadn't been checking availability regularly. I called up and got an install date about a week later. I had to reschedule due to a pressing project at work; rescheduling was no problem, and I got an appointment for the following week.

I opted for the 5/2 package, and got it for $34.95 a month with the first month free and free installation with a one year committment. They will switch your phone over to fiber by default; they're trying to get rid of the copper, but you could probably ask them to keep the copper for now if you want to.

The install was handled by an experienced guy who knew what he was doing, and a trainee. They installed an Optical Network Terminal (ONT), a control box, and a battery backup for the phone over fiber, ran CAT 5 to the room where my computer is, installed a D-Link Dl-604 router, and configured the computer to use the router. You need a power outlet for the control box and battery backup combination. Installation includes a CD for software to use with the service, which, thankfully, they did not install. They said it was a way to take up ~300 MB of hard drive space.

The installers were professional and fast. They did the above in two hours. The snag came when it was time to test the phone for a dialtone; it didn't have one. The problem turned out to be on the Cental Office end, where my order had been mishandled. They needed to switch me over to the fiber optic side, and that took another two and a half hours. No big deal to me, I don't use the phone that much anyway.

So far, the internet worked right out of the box, and everything has worked fine since the initial install. There have been no slowdowns yet, but that could happen if the increase in users outstrips their expansion of capacity; we'll just wait and see on that.

member for 12.6 years, 5060 visits, last login: a few hours ago