Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1911 reviews (1452 good) (133 bad)

Review by chrispix See Profile

• Location: Rowlett,Dallas,TX
Good "Fast, Stable, Why did they not think of this first. 15/2 service"
Bad "Data goes out w/ power even though battery backup."
Overall "What are you waiting for. Switch already!"

I originally had verizon Fios installed in 2/2005. I choose the 15/2 Residential package. They installed it at my house w/in 5 business days. It was incredible service. The only down side was that they use PPPoE. I also switched my Verizon voice line over to Sunrocket VOIP. When I did this, verizon no longer had a billing # on file, and cut my service off b/c I did not have a backup credit card on file. It seems that this has been resolved since my issue early on.

I decided to swich to their 15/2 business plan w/ 5 static IP's, and no port blocks.

I have not had any issues since, the only problem I have is that the power to the Nic on the ONT gets powered down during a power outage, even though there is a battery backup. This is mainly frustrating to me b/c the backup power does nothing for me since I don't have VZ voice service.

Regardless. Bang for the buck.. Wow. I was paying $120/month for 768/768k on DSL that was hardly as stable as this package of 15/2..

I would give it 10 thumbs up, although I only have 2 thumbs. So... 2 thumbs up!

Comments:

Review by xfusi0n See Profile

• Location: Sterling,Loudoun,VA
Good "Constant speed and always on with no problems"
Bad "Battery backup to power ONT"
Overall "Worth It, get it if you can wont be disapointed."

I live in Sterling, VA right behind the Safeway. I was paying $40 for 500k/60k DSL connection on a good day and the only reason I was getting that was because I had CAT5e from the phone box to my DSL modem which was 5 feet from the Verizon punch down box. I could not get the 1.5mb/3.0mb connection because I was to far from the CO. I called to complain to tell Verizon I was not going to pay for $40 for that speed and they told me that FiOS was available for $34.95 for the 5mb/2mb speed so I was like sign me up.

So a few days later a crew of Verizon diggers were running the fiber to my house from the green fiber switch boxes on the corner of my townhoses. A week later a Verizon technician came out to put in the new ONT box that houses the fiber and the POTS lines and hook up the BBU. It took about 3-4 hours for the install and I already had CAT5e running to my house from the DSL line that I Installed so he used the existing cable. He connected the D-Link DI-604 router and connected to the router and put in my ID an Password for PPPoE configuration.

With the provided router my connection has been up and solid every since, but am building a new Linux firewall and sorts for speed and security. I have no complaints and very, very happy. My connection is 5.12mb/1.85mb constantly.

The battery backup has to be plugged in at all times, to power the unit. Unlike typical POTS lines which dont need separate power. The battery will last supposedly about 3-4 hours in a power outage, but of course hasnt been tested, since I just got this. I was asking the technician about the battery backup and if I can put a bigger battery on that unit and he said that that would be no problem.

Comments:

Review by Walter White See Profile

• Location: Huntington Beach,Orange,CA
Good "Insane speed for the price.Worth for any extreme gamer!"
Bad "Trying to get a install date for my apartmant was hell"
Overall "If fios is available,get it NOW!"

I am the first person in huntington beach,ca to have a apartment installed with FIOS.It took me five calls on the 888 number to get a install date.The 4 other fiber reps told me they don't install at apts or they will get fined since it wasn't authorized yet.Well I tried a few more times and ordered the fios business 15/2 dynamic.GIVE ME A HELL YEAH!
So the install date came.Oct 13,tech arrived at 8:30 am,was done by 10am.Since I was the first.Five suporvisors came out to take pictures with me and the tech,and of the install.Playing Counter-Strike on steam reveals sup 9ms in game action.I am pinging servers as low as 2ms! I can't wait to cancell my roadrunner monday morning and tell them fios owns you. Here's the thread I started from moving into my apt till the day I got fios.
»First apt wired for fios in HB,lots of pics

8-19-06
Rock solid since 11/13/05,not one single problem. Thank you FIOS!
Now if I could only get Fios tv i'd be set.

Comments:

Review by Dosperado See Profile

• Location: Southborough,Worcester,MA
Good "Fastest option, especially up, of any ISP"
Bad "loss of old fashioned copper means less stable phone service"
Overall "Should just keep getting better, and is already the best!"

For high speed and solid pings, FIOS is unchallenged. The speeds are amazing, and virtually limitless looking ahead, we'll see what comes...

I also switched phone service to Verizons own Voicewing, which is half the price of standard phone service, and unfortunately nothing like Verizons $$$ phone service, sharing only the company name apparantly, but I digress!

The web access is more than enough for anything you could think of, and newsgroup access is speedy as well. If you even opt for the slowest 5Mb/2Mb service at $34.95/$39.95 you will be better off than most and not disappointed in the least.

The only downside to fiber is the need for power to the unit, which has a battery backup for up to 8 hours of phone, but shuts down data after 5 minutes. A big UPS for the FIOS box might solve this for those with a pc/router on ups, or laptop. Also VOIP will go down after 5 minutes, so keep it in mind. Cell phones are a nice cure for that one I guess.

member for 12.2 years, 208 visits, last login: 6.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by FiosFiend See Profile

• Location: Flower Mound,Denton,TX
Good "VERY VERY FAST!!"
Bad "Has not been the most reliable"
Overall "Even with hiccups in service it's GREAT!!"

The pre sale and install all went off without a hitch. The folks who laid the fiber line to the house did a good job and the installers showed up on time and did the job fast. I had to run my own network cable through the attic since they told me that they were not allowed to cross an undecked attic. This was no problem since I had already run my own cable line to the same room. I just followed that and had the job done in minutes.

Here is the good news. Verizon Fios is unbeleivably fast. 15 MBps down and 2 MBps up for $44.95 a month. That's about $7 a month less then I was paying for Comcast 6 MBps down and 800 Kbps up. Everything is faster. I downloaded a 915 MB game from 3D Gamers in 5 minutes!! Ping times are also incredible.

Here is the bad news. Right after the install my phones, which also go over the fiber started going out every hour or so. I'd have to call customer support and they would reset my ONT (Optical Network Terminal) to get my phones back up. This happened several times in the first day!! Finally I got a really good tech and he just replaced the entire ONT and everything was fine.

My service since then has been very good, until yesterday. I go into my home office in the morning and I have no internet service. So I reset my router....still nothing. I pick up the phone to call customer support and I have no phone service either! So, I call them on my cell phone and they get a tech out to my house in less then 30 minutes. He checks my fiber line and finds that I'm not getting a good light source. So he does some work in the network box in the ground in front of my house and fixes the problem.

I would say that customer support has been very good. They have been very responsive and I have never had to wait more then an hour for a tech to show up. There are still some bugs in the system but overall the service is great. If you have the option to get this in your area, don't walk, RUN to the light!!!

member for 12.3 years, 292 visits, last login: 2.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by gburrell See Profile

• Location: Wyckoff,Bergen,NJ
Good "Fast"
Bad "Slow news servers"
Overall "For 5M down you can't beat the price"

I was one of the first Verizon DSL customers in wyckoff. Started out with 512K and saw my speed go up and price go down so when Fios came around I was one of the first to sign up (Only the second install for my Installers). Intall took about 4 hours, and they did a nice job arranging all the equipment. It might have gone a little faster but people from Verizon kept stopping by to seee how it was going. I only got the 5/2 package because other than for bragging rights I don't have much use for 15 meg.

Since I've had it I've had no issues. Voice has been good, data is solid and fast. Looking forward to FIOS TV and given my experience with DSL I expect speed to go up and price to go down over time.

member for 9.1 years, 1942 visits, last login: 2 days ago

Comments:

Review by twosox See Profile

• Location: Mclean,Fairfax,VA
Good "Speed, Reliability, Install was a breeze"
Bad "Customer service is hard to reach, Don't like PPPoE, compared with DHCP"
Overall "Outstanding value"

Great install, solid service.

PPPoE can be a little less friendly than DHCP, but overall, I couldn't be happier.

Comments:

Review by gleklen See Profile

• Location: Bethesda,Montgomery,MD
Good "Very fast, 100% uptime over the last 4 months"
Bad "Have had intermittent problems getting full rated speed -- but still fast"
Overall "The best alternative out there -- far better than Comcast"

I was one of the first installs in Bethesda, MD. As the initial install date approached, nobody had trenched the fiber optic cable to my home from the box near the street. I had to call Verizon about this -- they didn't seem to be on top of it. As a result, install was delayed a day while they scheduled/rescheduled the trenching.

The installers were complete pros. They thought about doing it right, not doing it easy (for example replacing the outdated POTS connection block at the same time).

I've had 100% uptime on my 15/2 service since install about 5 months ago.

Two problems -- I was intermittently dropping VPN connections, but that was fixed by upgrading the firmware on the supplied DLink router. I've also had intermittent issues with not getting the full 15/2 throughput. Even when I've had problems, I get around 3/.5, which isn't bad, but not what I've paid for.

Comments:

Review by djstay See Profile

• Location: Silver Spring,Montgomery,MD
Good "Fast, Reliable Connection"
Bad "Awful Customer Service"
Overall "A good service if you never have to ask VZ to do anything"

I've had Fios for about 7 months now and was one of the first in my neighborhood to get the service. I like the service: it's fast and it seems to be quite reliable. The down side is having to deal with human beings at Verizon, customer service there is just awful.

Here's what Verizon screwed up:

1. Preorder: the rep either lied or was badly misinformed. I wanted "naked" Fios with no voice serivce. I had DSL with voice and wanted to convert to Fios without voice. She said it was possible, it turned out that wasn't really true...at least at that time.

2. Install: the installers were friendly enough and seemed to do good work. But they miswired with battery backup and four hours after they left, ALL services died. Leaving me with no communications services over Easter weekend.

3. Tech support: they presume you are an idiot who has no idea what you're doing. You can never reach the same person you had when you have an issue so you have to explain everything all over again.

4. Billing etc.: It took the Fios Encore Solutions Center over 6 months to get the voice service off my Fios line. Once they finally did it, they dropped my e-mail services and it took them a week to get it back.

member for 9 years, 122 visits, last login: 8 years ago

Comments:

Review by TheOtherPete See Profile

• Location: Germantown,Montgomery,MD
Good "Fast, fast, fast. Did I mention it was fast?"
Bad "PPPoE, Verizon as ISP"
Overall "Can't be beat for the price/speed"

Ordered 15Mbps/2Mbps tier for $45 per month, one year commit, first month free, installation free, cheap dlink router free. Installers came on date scheduled, did their work in under 90 minutes and I was up and running at the advertised speed when they left. Had intermittent packet drops (a dozen times a day) for the next week but after troubleshooting with Verizon tech support (which amazingly answered right away) they sent someone out to replace the ONT and its been perfect ever since.