Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1928 reviews (1455 good) (140 bad)

Review by weaver See Profile

• Location: Bowie,Prince Georges,MD
Good "Fast and stable; cheap compared to Comcast"
Bad "Phone switch to fiber was not coordinated smoothly"
Overall "The internet just plain works right out of the box"

I was lucky enough to see a message from jackrussel that Bowie, MD was accepting FIOS orders. I hadn't been checking availability regularly. I called up and got an install date about a week later. I had to reschedule due to a pressing project at work; rescheduling was no problem, and I got an appointment for the following week.

I opted for the 5/2 package, and got it for $34.95 a month with the first month free and free installation with a one year committment. They will switch your phone over to fiber by default; they're trying to get rid of the copper, but you could probably ask them to keep the copper for now if you want to.

The install was handled by an experienced guy who knew what he was doing, and a trainee. They installed an Optical Network Terminal (ONT), a control box, and a battery backup for the phone over fiber, ran CAT 5 to the room where my computer is, installed a D-Link Dl-604 router, and configured the computer to use the router. You need a power outlet for the control box and battery backup combination. Installation includes a CD for software to use with the service, which, thankfully, they did not install. They said it was a way to take up ~300 MB of hard drive space.

The installers were professional and fast. They did the above in two hours. The snag came when it was time to test the phone for a dialtone; it didn't have one. The problem turned out to be on the Cental Office end, where my order had been mishandled. They needed to switch me over to the fiber optic side, and that took another two and a half hours. No big deal to me, I don't use the phone that much anyway.

So far, the internet worked right out of the box, and everything has worked fine since the initial install. There have been no slowdowns yet, but that could happen if the increase in users outstrips their expansion of capacity; we'll just wait and see on that.

member for 12.6 years, 5089 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by litkaj See Profile

• Location: Exton,Chester,PA
Good "So fast I almost fell out of my chair on the first speed test."
Bad "The install took forever and their router must be used for full speed."
Overall "Great speed at minimal expense"

Ordered 15/2 residential service @ $44.99 (1-year contract) when I moved to a new apartment instead of moving the Verizon DSL (3.0/768).

The install was scheduled 2 weeks after I called to order so it's a good thing I called 2 weeks before I moved in. It ended up being hooked up the day before I moved in.

First, some bad news. The install took FOREVER. The woman doing my installation took about 5 hours for the external install and then the two of us worked together for the next 90 minutes to route the CAT5 inside to my office. Without my help it would have taken her at least twice as long. Plan on taking at least one day off of work (she told me that she had to go back to her previous day's appt. because it wasn't working when she left the day before).

Next, some good news. Fiber is fast as hell. With the free D-Link DI-604 I can pull 14.7/1.75 out of my rated 15/2 on Speakeasy's Washington D.C. and New York City tests.

On that, more bad news. I have two other routers here: a Linksys BEFSX41 and a WRT54G v2. The WRT54G won't break 8.6/1.2 and the BEFSX41 won't break 10/1.6, despite both having 10/100 WAN ports. It looks like whatever modifications Verizon made to this little D-Link router make all the difference. As such, I no longer have VPN connectivity to my office because the DI-604 doesn't have a built-in end-point. I'd like to get something better (with VPN capabilities) but I'd hate to go out and spend $100-200 and then find out that I can still only move 10-11Mbps through it.

Overall, I'm really pleased with my service. There was one connectivity issue about a week in where my data service was mysteriously turned off on their end but it was back up a day later after I complained to the Fiber Solutions Center (although my Verizon Online account, including my email and newsgroup access, was down for another 4 days, over the holiday weekend). They issued me a credit on my bill for the downtime. The only other thing I'm not real happy about is that the service uses PPPoE. I don't see any reason why they couldn't have gone with something a little more reliable like DHCP.

Comments:

Review by icenfire2u See Profile

• Location: Lewisville,Denton,TX
Good "The speed is great; no outages so far"
Bad "none"
Overall "worth the money; reliable and consistent speeds"

Had fios installed on Sept 9th. So far have had no outages as compared to comcast having an outage the very first day I had it installed. The installation went great. It only took about 2 hours. I would recommend this service to anyone who can get it. I am anxiously awaiting the deployment of Fios Tv so I can get rid of comcast totally.

Comments:

Review by chrispix See Profile

• Location: Rowlett,Dallas,TX
Good "Fast, Stable, Why did they not think of this first. 15/2 service"
Bad "Data goes out w/ power even though battery backup."
Overall "What are you waiting for. Switch already!"

I originally had verizon Fios installed in 2/2005. I choose the 15/2 Residential package. They installed it at my house w/in 5 business days. It was incredible service. The only down side was that they use PPPoE. I also switched my Verizon voice line over to Sunrocket VOIP. When I did this, verizon no longer had a billing # on file, and cut my service off b/c I did not have a backup credit card on file. It seems that this has been resolved since my issue early on.

I decided to swich to their 15/2 business plan w/ 5 static IP's, and no port blocks.

I have not had any issues since, the only problem I have is that the power to the Nic on the ONT gets powered down during a power outage, even though there is a battery backup. This is mainly frustrating to me b/c the backup power does nothing for me since I don't have VZ voice service.

Regardless. Bang for the buck.. Wow. I was paying $120/month for 768/768k on DSL that was hardly as stable as this package of 15/2..

I would give it 10 thumbs up, although I only have 2 thumbs. So... 2 thumbs up!

Comments:

Review by xfusi0n See Profile

• Location: Sterling,Loudoun,VA
Good "Constant speed and always on with no problems"
Bad "Battery backup to power ONT"
Overall "Worth It, get it if you can wont be disapointed."

I live in Sterling, VA right behind the Safeway. I was paying $40 for 500k/60k DSL connection on a good day and the only reason I was getting that was because I had CAT5e from the phone box to my DSL modem which was 5 feet from the Verizon punch down box. I could not get the 1.5mb/3.0mb connection because I was to far from the CO. I called to complain to tell Verizon I was not going to pay for $40 for that speed and they told me that FiOS was available for $34.95 for the 5mb/2mb speed so I was like sign me up.

So a few days later a crew of Verizon diggers were running the fiber to my house from the green fiber switch boxes on the corner of my townhoses. A week later a Verizon technician came out to put in the new ONT box that houses the fiber and the POTS lines and hook up the BBU. It took about 3-4 hours for the install and I already had CAT5e running to my house from the DSL line that I Installed so he used the existing cable. He connected the D-Link DI-604 router and connected to the router and put in my ID an Password for PPPoE configuration.

With the provided router my connection has been up and solid every since, but am building a new Linux firewall and sorts for speed and security. I have no complaints and very, very happy. My connection is 5.12mb/1.85mb constantly.

The battery backup has to be plugged in at all times, to power the unit. Unlike typical POTS lines which dont need separate power. The battery will last supposedly about 3-4 hours in a power outage, but of course hasnt been tested, since I just got this. I was asking the technician about the battery backup and if I can put a bigger battery on that unit and he said that that would be no problem.

Comments:

Review by wrxrxtn See Profile

• Location: Huntington Beach,Orange,CA
Good "Insane speed for the price.Worth for any extreme gamer!"
Bad "Trying to get a install date for my apartmant was hell"
Overall "If fios is available,get it NOW!"

I am the first person in huntington beach,ca to have a apartment installed with FIOS.It took me five calls on the 888 number to get a install date.The 4 other fiber reps told me they don't install at apts or they will get fined since it wasn't authorized yet.Well I tried a few more times and ordered the fios business 15/2 dynamic.GIVE ME A HELL YEAH!
So the install date came.Oct 13,tech arrived at 8:30 am,was done by 10am.Since I was the first.Five suporvisors came out to take pictures with me and the tech,and of the install.Playing Counter-Strike on steam reveals sup 9ms in game action.I am pinging servers as low as 2ms! I can't wait to cancell my roadrunner monday morning and tell them fios owns you. Here's the thread I started from moving into my apt till the day I got fios.
»First apt wired for fios in HB,lots of pics

8-19-06
Rock solid since 11/13/05,not one single problem. Thank you FIOS!
Now if I could only get Fios tv i'd be set.

Comments:

Review by Dosperado See Profile

• Location: Southborough,Worcester,MA
Good "Fastest option, especially up, of any ISP"
Bad "loss of old fashioned copper means less stable phone service"
Overall "Should just keep getting better, and is already the best!"

For high speed and solid pings, FIOS is unchallenged. The speeds are amazing, and virtually limitless looking ahead, we'll see what comes...

I also switched phone service to Verizons own Voicewing, which is half the price of standard phone service, and unfortunately nothing like Verizons $$$ phone service, sharing only the company name apparantly, but I digress!

The web access is more than enough for anything you could think of, and newsgroup access is speedy as well. If you even opt for the slowest 5Mb/2Mb service at $34.95/$39.95 you will be better off than most and not disappointed in the least.

The only downside to fiber is the need for power to the unit, which has a battery backup for up to 8 hours of phone, but shuts down data after 5 minutes. A big UPS for the FIOS box might solve this for those with a pc/router on ups, or laptop. Also VOIP will go down after 5 minutes, so keep it in mind. Cell phones are a nice cure for that one I guess.

member for 12.6 years, 208 visits, last login: 6.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by FiosFiend See Profile

• Location: Flower Mound,Denton,TX
Good "VERY VERY FAST!!"
Bad "Has not been the most reliable"
Overall "Even with hiccups in service it's GREAT!!"

The pre sale and install all went off without a hitch. The folks who laid the fiber line to the house did a good job and the installers showed up on time and did the job fast. I had to run my own network cable through the attic since they told me that they were not allowed to cross an undecked attic. This was no problem since I had already run my own cable line to the same room. I just followed that and had the job done in minutes.

Here is the good news. Verizon Fios is unbeleivably fast. 15 MBps down and 2 MBps up for $44.95 a month. That's about $7 a month less then I was paying for Comcast 6 MBps down and 800 Kbps up. Everything is faster. I downloaded a 915 MB game from 3D Gamers in 5 minutes!! Ping times are also incredible.

Here is the bad news. Right after the install my phones, which also go over the fiber started going out every hour or so. I'd have to call customer support and they would reset my ONT (Optical Network Terminal) to get my phones back up. This happened several times in the first day!! Finally I got a really good tech and he just replaced the entire ONT and everything was fine.

My service since then has been very good, until yesterday. I go into my home office in the morning and I have no internet service. So I reset my router....still nothing. I pick up the phone to call customer support and I have no phone service either! So, I call them on my cell phone and they get a tech out to my house in less then 30 minutes. He checks my fiber line and finds that I'm not getting a good light source. So he does some work in the network box in the ground in front of my house and fixes the problem.

I would say that customer support has been very good. They have been very responsive and I have never had to wait more then an hour for a tech to show up. There are still some bugs in the system but overall the service is great. If you have the option to get this in your area, don't walk, RUN to the light!!!

Comments:

Review by gburrell See Profile

• Location: Wyckoff,Bergen,NJ
Good "Fast"
Bad "Slow news servers"
Overall "For 5M down you can't beat the price"

I was one of the first Verizon DSL customers in wyckoff. Started out with 512K and saw my speed go up and price go down so when Fios came around I was one of the first to sign up (Only the second install for my Installers). Intall took about 4 hours, and they did a nice job arranging all the equipment. It might have gone a little faster but people from Verizon kept stopping by to seee how it was going. I only got the 5/2 package because other than for bragging rights I don't have much use for 15 meg.

Since I've had it I've had no issues. Voice has been good, data is solid and fast. Looking forward to FIOS TV and given my experience with DSL I expect speed to go up and price to go down over time.

member for 9.5 years, 1949 visits, last login: 112 days ago

Comments:

Review by twosox See Profile

• Location: Mclean,Fairfax,VA
Good "Speed, Reliability, Install was a breeze"
Bad "Customer service is hard to reach, Don't like PPPoE, compared with DHCP"
Overall "Outstanding value"

Great install, solid service.

PPPoE can be a little less friendly than DHCP, but overall, I couldn't be happier.