Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1929 reviews (1457 good) (140 bad)

Review by mmcgovern See Profile

• Location: Belmont,Middlesex,MA
Good "Fantastic Speed!"
Bad "None - So Far"
Overall "Great Speed, Good Price, Eager for FiOS TV"

After a little issue getting my address to qualify for service all went great. I ordered by phone and install was a week later. The day before my install, a tech ran the fiber drop and installed the ONT to the outside of the house.

The next day another tech arrived to install the PSU/BBU and run the CAT5 to my PC. Half way through the install of the CAT5 another VZ Tech came by to offer help to his buddy. This process took about three hours to complete. Service was up as soon as the wiring was complete. I've been a happy customer since early June. Now its a matter of time until FiOS TV is offered.

If you can get FiOS, get it!

Comments:

Review by grariaz See Profile

• Location: Ontario,San Bernardino,CA
Good "very fast. good tests. loads websites fast."
Bad "not enough content avail. on verizon. no links to use bandwith."
Overall "pnp downloads as good as the upload speed anyway. right?"

got the 5 meg. download 2 meg upload. setup the network myself, had the tech just fit the fios box and battery. got everything i needed right away got a d-link router/switch and a wireless linksys router/switch (go figure). the bummer was really the PPPoE. had that with Earthlink DSL, not cool. other than all that, got the increased bandwith two new switches/routers that i can use for something else all for the same price as Verizon DSL and $20. less than Earthlink.

Comments:

Review by clyfton See Profile

• Location: Tampa,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Very Fast Speeds both up and down, Reliable, Great Customer Support"
Bad "Relies on power from house, battery backup could be better"
Overall "Very solid for the price and definitely beats out the local RoadRunner Service"

The company laid the line 4 days before the tech came out to install the service. The tech came out and installed everything and everything went fine. Talked to him for a while, had alot to talk about since I kept up on the tech side of the install.

Worked great for a while then a lightening hit on a Sunday, Called tech support and they had someone come out the next morning to install a new power adapter for the ONT, The guy was on time and it only took a few mins to fix.

One other service interuption and was on the tech line for about 15 mins talking to them to figure out what was wrong. Some how the networks on thier side got crossed. They had it fixed within mins after they figured the problem out.

So far I have had no big issues with Verizon, Its a very good service and the speeds are reliable. I can also tell the difference in speed on downloads from 5mbit to 15mibt

Clifton

Comments:

Review by aaron12345 See Profile

• Location: Falls Church,Falls Church City,VA
Good "15/2 mbps FAST, free install, incredible value"
Bad "support and logistics, killed phone line for a couple days, PPPoE"
Overall "fios can't be beat"

January 20th 05 (copy and pasted from VZ Online DSL where originally reviewed)

I just got verizon fios about a week ago. It is soooo fast . Completly recommend it to anyone and everyone who can get it. We were the first install in the area so in my install they found out there was a problem with their backend equipment. So they came for the first install and spent about 6 hours with 2 installers and a supervisor trying to figure out the problem with their equipment after installing the optical network terminal and battery on our end.

That was the first problem and it took them about a week to get that fixed. Then they got the fiber (data) up, but in doing so took down our phone line which was totally unacceptable.

Also they person who came the second time to get out fiber up, all he had to do was install the dlink router and hook our phone line up to the ont and take down the nid and it took him 2 and a half ours because he spent most of his time (I wasn't there but this is what I was told) trying to figure out the password for the dlink router he brought. The user is admin, password is blank. That was my second guess after admin, admin when setting up port forwarding. He said he installs fios all the time when asked about his experience and he ended up having to call texas to get the router password. This installer was less than competant, but atleast he eventually go the internet working. However this had brought our phone line down, so a third person from verizon came out to fix it (we weren't home, everything was done from the outside). He had called the number to check if it was working, and it rang. Well guess what, the problem is we don't have a dial tone, and it continually rings when called from the outside. We had told verizon that, so apparantly this installer wasn't to bright either. So now a 4th person is supposed to come out tomorrow, to replace our ont with a new one because they think thats the problem. And as verizon always asks, "did you check the signal at the ont, its probably your wiring", well the answer is YES. The worst part about vz hell is that you have to schedule 4 hour time block for the first install and 2 hours for each time they fix it.

If any other company offered this speed at anywhere near the price I'd take them. That being said the speed fios gives you is enough to run a datacenter in your basement, and the only places I've found that support this speed is popular torrents and nac.net speed test site on dsl reports. I've realized most download servers max out a 300-400 kbps. So if you have the option go for it, especially if your not the first install so they don't have to use you as a beta tester. Last side note, my linksys router (the vonage one with two phone ports), although it has a 10/100 ethernet on the wan side of it simply can not support the speeds verizon gives you. You really do have to use their router.

July 24, 2005

Had some weird ping spikes a few days ago but otherwise still going strong!

Oct. 08, 2005

Here's another update and move to VZ FiOS reviews. So far so great. Every once in a while (about once a week) my pings on third hop will jump to like 15 MS from the normal 2-3 MS, but that's my only complaint As for speeds, I just downloaded a knoppix iso at 15Mbps! And no more verizon phone lines, I can have my ftp server, http server, computers downloading, and all three vonage phone lines in use at once without a hiccup, and I have enough bandwidth I don't even bother with QoS on my downstream, and I just limit my FTP a bit on the upstream. VZ just got a franchise agreement with fairfax county - although 22046 is falls church, va that's just my mailing address, I'm really in fairfax county which means I should be seeing TV really soon. As long as it looks better than Dish, Direct TV, or Cox (yes I have been through all three, compression really looks like crap on a 9ft screen with a HD projector - the only thing that looks "great" is OTA HD, and "good" DVDs ), I can't wait to grab it.

member for 11.7 years, 970 visits, last login: 5.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by telecomtec See Profile

• Location: Wylie,Collin,TX
Good "VERY Reliable Speeds,The Best Thats out There,FIOS ROCKS!!!!!"
Bad "Nata"
Overall "Excellent Buy for the Bandwidth,2Mbps UPLOAD!, 15Mbps Down!!"

Ive had FIOS for 4 months now and the bottomline is that its the fastest,baddest thing that has happened for Residential customers since DSL, but like 100 times Better than..If you can get this product then quit reading my review and order it for yourself, you will love it and most likely youll save some $$ too. CANT wait for the VIDEO coming out this winter in my area!!!!Verizon thanks for spending the BILLIONS so that we can have a great next generation service like this. THANKS

Comments:

Review by nanogeek See Profile

• Location: Murrieta,Riverside,CA
Good "Speed, reliability, free install, free router"
Bad "Battery backup, which I have to replace at my expense"
Overall "Out of 8 ISP's I have used, this service is the best"

Service Speed: 15 Dn / 2 Up
PPPoE service
Zywall 5 wired router
3 Intel 2.4Ghz generic computers
Speed test:: 15.153 mbps Down / 1.767 mbps Up and very consistent
Downtime: None noticed in over 12 mos

member for 11.8 years, 1667 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by mishaq See Profile

• Location: Silver Spring,Montgomery,MD
Good "Everything! Speed, Latency, excellent"
Bad "Nothing! (Well, with DSL Verizon Tech support isnt that great, havent called them yet with FIOS!)"
Overall "If you can get it, jump on it!"

I never want to leave the computer with this kind of speed. 15 mbps is so much I cant even download at full speed from most sites. The install went great, I made it really easy for the techs (No fishing cat 5 throughout the house) so install time was under 2 hours. They were very nice and did a very professional job. The ONT they install is much larger than I expected, not that I'm complaining or anything. Overall, this is truly amazing technology, and when Verizon offers Video service Im sure comcast will be crying their eyes out. The future is fiber, and Verizon has made the wise choice of pushing this technology while the other RBOCs seriously lag behind. Cablecos, you can start your crying now.

member for 10.6 years, 1212 visits, last login: 232 days ago

Comments:

Review by Spicerunner See Profile

• Location: Southlake,Tarrant,TX
Good "Connection has been constant, steady, and up to speed."
Bad "None yet."
Overall "Wonderful Speedy Connection"

I have had FIOS since it was rolled out on my street back in Feb/March. Previous to FIOS being rolled out, ISDN 128k/128k was the best speed we could get. We have had zero problems with FIOS. The connection has stayed steady at 15Mb/2Mb. The install was very professional and on time, with the Install Technician bending over backwards to make certain everything worked before he left. And I much appreciated that he happily hooked up my Linux systems as easily as he does the Windows systems. I've yet to see an outage other than our own power going out (The phones stay on with our battery backup though). The only caveat seems to be to keep using the DLink router Verizon has provided us as the front end to the connection...for some reason, my Netgear can only communicate at 8Mb. So I just have an Internet DNZ and everything works well. I'm hoping eventually to get the Business service with Static IPs.

member for 13.5 years, 1625 visits, last login: 3.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by Subaru See Profile

• Location: Greenwich,Fairfield,CT
Good "easy to set up and no need for a modem"
Bad "Sometime the ONT makes me loose internet connection"
Overall "it's better and faster then Verizon Dsl"

I ordered Verizon's Fios service about 2 months ago, and so far it's been great I have no major issues other then some stuff was my fault. Verizon gives you a Dlink wireless router to use but it's not all that great, So I stuck with my Linksys WRT54G router.

The install took a few hours, most of it was wiring and getting everything hooked up, once all was finnished Verizon had a outtage in the Northeast area so my ONT was not able to be turned on within that time frame they gave me, so they had to come back an hour later and it was all finnished.

Speeds are good no issues with games or anything, and as well as uploading I don't have an issue with getting capped unlike another service....

So far after a few months everything is still going well, I get pretty much the service I ordered as far as speed goes.

member for 13.3 years, 6920 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Ronnie1055 See Profile

• Location: Carrollton,Denton,TX
Good "An excellent experience... well worth the change"
Overall "Excellent Tech Support... best value for the money!!"

I ordered the 15/2 package and it has been great. They arrived early and were ready to go. I had already run Cat. 6 to their termination point... so they gave me a hard time on cutting down their installation time. (They schedule four hours per install... mine took two)

I ordered the wireless router, however, I have since switched to a D-Link DGL-4300 Wireless Giga-bit router... no problems.

Have had the service for well over a year... also have TV... it ROCKS!!!!

member for 10.2 years, 1369 visits, last login: 3.5 years ago