Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1948 reviews (1462 good) (147 bad)

Review by cbrain See Profile

• Location: Silver Spring,Montgomery,MD
Good "Professional install on schedule, stable, low latency, great speed both ways"
Bad "Verizon bureaucracy, bad phone routing, more concerned with procedure than customer satisfaction."
Overall "Flawless connectivity since 03-2005, Verizon does things their own way."

-------update 12-30-2014-----------

Coming up to 10 years flawless FiOS service. Had my first genuine service issue last spring when I discovered no service Saturday morning. The problem was my ONT. Verizon quickly diagnosed a bad power supply, scheduled a tech and I was back up late Sunday afternoon. I'm very happy with such service!

Some time this spring Verizon added $7/month to my bill. I don't have a Verizon phone, get no paper bill, don't recall any prior notice and couldn't find anything looking back other than the increase. While logged into & reviewing my account I was presented an offer to add FiOS TV for the price I had been paying for internet only plus fees & equipment. ...

-------update 06-15-2012-----------

My FiOS service was flawless all year. I'm now on a month to month basis. I reviewed the past years charges at contract end. Around the second month Verizon billed about $110 extra. I called and was told this was for their router. Verizon agreed this was an error and credited all but the sales tax. It wasn't worth another call. Everything else was as expected.

If Verizon could fix their flawed and aggravating bureaucracy, they would really become a great company I would be happy to buy more services from.

-------update 04-03-2011-----------

Got a gentle nudge back to Verizon when they terminated their wholesale agreement with DSL Extreme. Looking forward to a long, uneventful relationship.

If we can do internet with less drama this time ... I may just need to add Verizon TV service for entertainment.

»Review of DSL EXTREME by cbrain

-------update 03-30-2010-----------

A friend has worked for Verizon over 20 years. For the past two years she's lived in fear of being let go and is sure she won’t make it to pension. She tells me Verizon has warehouses full of FiOS TV equipment they expected would be in customer homes by now. I wanted to get FiOS TV well over 3 years ago. Verizon handled my calls poorly, gave me so much vague and downright wrong information I decided to wait until they were more experienced. I still don’t have their TV, dropped their phone service in December ’08 and now get my FiOS internet through a reseller.

A company that provides such great internet service deserves our attention and consideration. I love my DirecTV with TiVo and the price is right, but, internet is more important to me. I’d rather spend that money with Verizon.

Why does Verizon make it so hard on its customers?

For 3 years I made repeated attempts to convert my account from PPPoE to DHCP. DHCP has been available to my neighborhood for over 3 years. All new FiOS users get DHCP and can’t order PPPoE. Senior Verizon techs confirmed this is technically simple but there is no official procedure to make this change. Twice Verizon accepted my order to make this change, but failed. When I dropped my land line I was down 3 days and the rep promised I would come back online DHCP. NOT! At any point I would have added TV and kept the phone line if Verizon gave me what I wanted and packaged the change to DHCP with a 1 year additional commitment.

When a customer doesn't have a phone line, Verizon requires auto billing to a card. Around 60 days after canceling my land line, my internet died. Turned out they did not have my card on file. The rep turned my service back on without payment when I again gave my number and expiration date. I asked if Verizon would have accepted this service change before getting billing info. The rep said no. I was unable to pay the balance on the website but was told Verizon would catch up on the next billing cycle.

About 4 months later I realized no Verizon payments had billed. I could see my account online but it wouldn't allow me to complete a payment. I tried to make a payment on the Verizon phone payment system. Did you know they add a fee to pay by phone. The phone company charging an extra fee to pay by phone … ironic. Turns out I was not able to pay because I did not have a phone number. They no longer accept payment at a local office. After several hours on the phone over 2 days Verizon was unable to take my payment. I mailed a check. I had now alerted Verizon to the fact I was now about 5 or 6 month overdue and feared they may cut service before my check processed. I made another call late in the afternoon. I called the FiOS toll free number, pressed all the right numbers and eventually reached a very competent rep … in the copper department. She made an extra effort and was able to explain why my payments did not go through. My card number and expiration were on file but no CVV code. Verizon won’t process a payment without one. She was unable to make the correction in the database because only FiOS reps can make changes. She noted my check payment. In all these calls and contacts over the next month, not a single rep made an effort to correctly enter my card information as required by Verizon. Inertia? I made my next payment through my banks electronic payment system. Only took minutes to set up.

Around June 20, I scheduled Verizon to terminate my account on July 31 unless they could switch me to DHCP. I got several calls from retention reps but all were unable to get it done. My online account showed several tickets opened and closed on July 4 but no change. In mid July a rep called me to complete my requested change. She said she would need to cancel my service then open a new account but should be able to do both hopefully within an hour. She completed the disconnect order, gave me a confirmation number then started the new order. She asked me to wait for that order number when my line went dead along with my internet.

Eventually, we discovered Verizon was unable to process the new order because I had a "final bill" that was never paid. I told Verizon this was my only account but they wouldn't accept that. Turns out Verizon established a new account number when I disconnected my land line. There were several transfers between accounts but they still showed a balance due. Verizon never mailed or emailed this bill and this account did not show on the online account page I could access. Because it was over 6 months old they couldn't give details. I offered to put the amount in dispute in escrow with Verizon while we figured all this out. Verizon refused. Lucky thing I didn't have cellular or TV bundled on this account!

I ordered FiOS through a Verizon reseller and service was back up in about a week ... on DHCP ... without an on site visit. My first reaction was to forget Verizon, but, as I cooled off I thought it better to resolve things. I found my bills for the problem period. When everything was finally settled, I got two checks from Verizon. One for each account.

My private label FiOS internet service is still flawless. I'm finally on DHCP and keep the same IP. My trash is filled weekly with multiple copies of colorful FiOS promotional material ... many individually addressed. I can no longer order Verizon TV while I'm with a re-seller, but I'm happy. Is Verizon well served?

»Review of DSL EXTREME by cbrain

»Can't get anyone to take my money!

»Anyone sucessfully switched from PPPoE to DHCP?

»[northeast] PPPoE to DHCP

-------update 06-24-2009-----------

I decided not to settle for what Verizon was willing to allow me and insist on getting what they provide new clients by default. I was unable to get such a concession and scheduled account termination for 7/31/2009.

-------update 06-20-2009-----------

Everyone at Verizon is courteous and completely comfortable not resolving whatever you call about. Even if you are trying to pay your bill when their auto billing isn't, and their website won't. They simply can not complete an electronic payment when the customer doesn't have a phone number even though their policy requires it. Verizon seems to have designed the system to require at least 2 people to complete any task. The problem starts with an IVR system unable to deliver incoming callers to the chosen place. It then appears there is no penalty for any rep not fixing a problem but they can be fired for taking corrective action.without following all the steps. The result being ... I love the service but not the company. I will most likely go back to Comcast for a few months then come back as a new Verizon customer so I get speeds and DHCP they give all new users but wont give a loyal 4+ year customer.

-------update 4-07-2008-----------

Still working. If you never need to speak with Verizon, it is a great service.

-------update 3-14-2007-----------

It just works ... and works well.

Verizon customer service is as bad as their service is good. I can now get FiOS video. I made several calls for information. After getting contradictory, inconsistent and downright incorrect information, I decided to wait until Verizon has more TV experience. The good news is, I have no need to call about my basic service.

----------3-15-05 ------------------------

Verizon FiOS Review - originally submitted 3-15-05 by email but there was not yet an ISP category for fiber.

Original review, 2 month update and real time questions. »FIOS - First 7 days reviewed

My FiOS connection has been flawless since my install 3-08-2005 except for 1 16 hour power outage. Up time, latency, stability and speed all great. BBR monitor shows 100% up time with very stable pings from all 3 monitors. All my logs look good. My IP changes every time I reboot my router but have never lost an IP between changes. When I test or make changes the connection comes right back up but with a new IP from a very large subnet (no setting a range to get access to IP secured servers). Port 80 incoming is blocked (Verizon confirmed) but seems to be the only one. The Verizon supplied D-Link DI-604 works well with both FIOS and Comcast Cable. My router/firewall connected instantly on a test and has been on FIOS since the first night. My Broadband reports monitor shows a steady Verizon ping that looks like a rectangle; about .10 + ms. lower than Comcast from all 3 locations. Comcast graphs looked like a pretty mountain range. The latency is a better plus than the speed in comparing this connection to Comcast.

Verizon DNS works and is fast. Nice to know DNS can be an always on service. I set up 3 email accounts online. Simple procedure, names must be a minimum of 6 characters and the system gives the option for alias. I don't know how this affects your total accounts. The email accounts worked with Outlook and Verizon web mail immediately. I never really started using Verizon email because I have other options and Verizon firewall rules block some incoming mail, including Broadband Reports, without notice. This mail just disappears and Verizon support was unable to unblock my requested domains or IP's. Newsgroups work well, no limits and are fast.

Support: Support is enthusiastic and attentive but disorganized. Verizon provides a special FiOS number but the call routing has failed on all 3 of my attempts, the last in October for a DHCP question. My first call got routed to a rep that could not handle calls from my state. My second call failed the auto routing but I spoke to a friendly rep that didn't have an answer.

This hasn't been an issue because the service works so well I have never needed to make a problem call. Bottom line; what better review could I can give any support program!

Ordering: Seinfield could do a show about my attempts to order FIOS from Verizon humans. After 4 days I gave up and started a web order for an un-needed phone line. I was offered FIOS, chose a number, passed credit and set the install date online. I hadn't had a land line in over 2 years. Verizon policy allows FIOS without phone service but seems unable to deal with such primitive customers.

Installation: Verizon confirmed the install. The week before outside techs ran fiber to the entry point and removed the copper. Two friendly professional techs showed up on time and did a great job. They offered but did not make me use Verizon software. Set up a username & password. They left the software and instruction and would have stayed to help me if necessary.

Router: Works. Easy to set up and change. Has several features including port forwarding, dynamic DNS, filters and firewall. Port forwarding works well. The Verizon D-Link has predefined rules for commonly used ports. You need only enable the port and set the internal IP. The D-Link writes the port forward and a firewall rule. I'll continue to use my own router because of QOS and traffic shaping.

Cost: about $55/month including a limited phone line.

After my install I moved my workstations and server to the Verizon Wan. I then turned off my old routers DHCP, changed the internal IP and added my Comcast connection to this LAN. I could then configure workstations to use either gateway (Verizon or Comcast) or DNS to access the internet. This way I could have workstations on either Comcast or Verizon and route workstations out one connection and back the other. I shifted the connections between routers 2 times. Everything worked well and both routers worked as expected. Both connections were good but I kept Verizon.

FiOS would be the perfect residential service if Verizon offered a static IP. DHCP with a stable IP could be a good alternative. My reason for this is because many networks I access use IP authentication.

member for 14.6 years, 4218 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

tv

The best part about FiOS IS the TV. Try it out. Maybe you can qualify for the free DVR and free standard box.

Review by Network Guy See Profile

• Location: New York
Good "Comparable video quality to cable, consistent stable Internet, CableCARD-ready"
Bad "Bullshit taxes compared to cable, less channels compared to similar cable package"
Overall "Very good alternative"

·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
So I happen to live in an area served by Verizon FiOS and Cablevision for some time. After years of putting it off being content with cable, I decided to check them out.

I opted for the Preferred HD + Internet 25/25 package. Instead of getting raped in DVR and STB rental fees, I bought the compatible Actiontec router on eBay and re-used the Silicondust HDHomeRun Prime network tuner that I used with cable. CableCARD rental currently costs $5 per card/month compared to $9/month for a standard, non-DVR STB. Modem rental will also set you back $5/month. With my setup, I have three TVs and I can record content on all of them while watching something else, the same way that TiVo works. That's $51 per month in fees versus $10. You do the math.

The video quality of their TV service is nothing to brag about. To me it looks the same as cable. Same compression, same artifacts during high-action sequence. Depending on your local market and franchise agreements, you might also access local programming. I get the same local channels I had with cable with exception of cable-owned and branded news & other assorted BS.

Their true worth in my opinion is the Internet. It is consistent, over-provisioned 25/25 service that normally gets me closer to 30/30. Netflix does not stutter and neither does YouTube. I also use Voice over IP services from other providers and so far Verizon doesn't seem to be standing in the way of me using them as before. All my calls still come through and still sound loud and clear.

New York City customers can expect at least an additional $16 in bullshit taxes/fees/"Because We Can" surcharges and whatnot tacked on to your monthly bill. It's the reason why my total bill comes to $106 instead of $90 for the actual services. Promotional, non-contract customers like myself will find it delightful to call and cancel without detrimental financial consequence should the "below-the-belt" fees start rubbing the wrong way.

The install took forever and a day despite my aiding the tech in identifying which coax he could use, and where he could drill for the ONT. The tech started off nice and appeared to know what he was doing, and this was true until we needed to get the TV service working. Even though I told him on arrival I should have CableCARD's in my order, he conveniently decided to forget this and was happily ready to install STBs instead. Two hours later and a 15-minute call to Verizon repair, TV service was finally on.

Bottom line...... Internet is fast, TV works fine. Plan to give up an entire day for first-time ever installs. And don't let the tech jerk your chain. This is nothing to wet your pants about, but it's definitely a good alternative.

member for 14.4 years, 6104 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by klipko See Profile

• Location: Portland,Washington,OR
Good "Reliable FiOS internet service "
Bad "Week upload bandwidth with new plans "
Overall "Internet worthwhile service to get"

2014 - December update

We cut the cord for two reasons:
1) Hardy watched TV, est about 7 hours a week in front of the flat screen
2) 90% of what we watch can be received OTA

When Frontier updated their FiOS Interplans from 15/5, 25/10, 35/15 to 30/5, 50/10, 100/15, we took the plunge and dropped TV and phone service. We still can't live without a DVR so I purchased a Tivo Roamio and ported our phone to Ooma.

...Stopping. This review should move to a Frontier FiOS review type.

March / 2010 - update

Been a while since last update. So here a list of all that has happened. Dates are approximate. This is a work in process.

2010
* Mar - Updated to 1.7.1
* Mar - Added HD feed of Comcast Sports Network NW (CSN NW - ch 577). Surprised by this since it seems that Comcast will not share CSN NW (SD/HD) with any satellite or other cable providers in the NW.
* Feb - Updated to 1.7
* Jan - Added HD feed of local ION station (ch 505)
* Jan - Added HD feed of MSNBC (ch 602)

2009
* ??? - Added HD feed of local MyTV Network (ch 513)
* ??? - Added Viacom HD feeds of MTV, VH1, Comedy Central and others.
* Oct - upgraded triple bundle TV, 25/15 mbit Internet, phone, multimedia DVR and HD box for 160.00 (including tax). New bundle is $10 more plus no longer have the -$10 discount. Paying $20 more per month.
* ??? - Remote DVR now with stream HD recordings. Swapped SD box for HD box.

2008
* ??? - Verizon added boatload of HD channels
* ??? - Redid the channel lineup. HD and SD channels are now offset by 500. e.g. USA Network channel 50, USA Network HD feed channel 550. Music Choice moved to 1800, Urge Radio moved to 1900.
* Aug - Remote DVR was enabled for VHO 12 customers. Love this feature.

February / 2008 - update

FiOS TV was released in December '07 so when things slowed down a little (I just became a first time dad and boy is it ever a lifetime changing event) I went to the mall FiOS kiosk in hopes to switch from Comcast.

Background:
One requirement was the ability to port my home number from Comcast. If switching just TV my phone service from Comcast would cost $5 more and I felt that I was paying enough already. At that time my Comcast bill was ~$140 a month:
TV
* Standard Cable (includes basic and expanded basic)
* Preferred Package

* Movie & Sports package
* SD STB
Phone Service
* Phone service
Internet (installed the year prior)
* 5 Mbit / 2 Mbit

I've called Comcast various times throughout last year to see if they'll lower my bill one way or another but with no budge. In December (my second to the last call) I mentioned that I've been getting letters from Verizon about FiOS TV, they offered to cut my service right then (I didn't have FiOS TV installed nor ordered so again score one for Comcast). It was obvious that they didn't want to lower my bill at all nor keep me as a customer and I've been with them since Viacom / TCI / AT&T Broadband days. So on to Verizon.

Ordering:
Pretty much painless. The guy at the mall kiosk (Washington Square Mall) knew what he was selling and reiterated the same prices and plans schemes that was on the website. First check on of my number came back that they could not port it over. Disappointed, we chatted some more about when Comcast's new SportsNet NW network (new home to the TrailBlazers from Fox Sports Net NW) will be on FiOS (irony?) and during that time decided to check again. Bingo, it was portable so with that I ordered FiOS TV and Phone to complement my FiOS Internet. Install was scheduled between 1 - 3 pm 10 days after my order.

Before Install Date:
Inquiring on the order on Verizon's website three days before the install date it showed that it was canceled. I called about it. They had no reason why but a new one was created and schedule for the same date and time so I didn't worry. She thought it might have something to due with the number porting but that was just a guess.

Install Day - FiOS TV:
The installer called just before 10 am said that he was going to be at my house in 10 minutes. SO I left work (during a meeting). Not happy about that. Got home and my neighbor was talking to him. He had singed up for the triple service and coincidentally it was scheduled the same day so he thought the installer was at the wrong house. Result was the installer was dispatched to do both installs and decided to work on my house first because I had the ONT installed prior for FiOS Internet. (Score one for me, neighbor zero.)

He ran the new coax along side the existing Comcast cable. He was going to charge me extra to do that but ended up not because I made it really easy for him with pull strings everywhere to help speed things up.

In short description of the run:
* ONT to input of 3-way splitter
* Router (Actiontec) to 3-way splitter
* 3-way splitter to DVR
* 3-way splitter to STB

Both the DVR and regular STB boxes were fresh from Motorola. I think it took him more time to unpack them then running the coax.

Once plugged in the DVR took 10+ minutes to download the firmware, the STB 2 minutes. During that time I looked over his order and noticed that Multi-Room DVR wasn't on there. (It was on my original order.) He called headquarters and got it taken care of but not without being on hold for 20 - 30 minutes... not joking. Multi-tasker he was, he finished installing the boxes and made sure that all the channels I ordered were viewable, setup the widgets and ran an application that checks the router settings for current firmware, On Demand and TV guide are current. Once getting the OK on the phone that the Home Media DVR is "on" we tested it with success...first try.

Install Day - FiOS Phone:
Not too exciting here, my big worry was not getting my number ported over. Turned out to be a lot of worrying over nothing. On the scheduled install date the number was automatically ported which explained why my wife not answering the phone when calling to warn her about the installer coming early.

The side of the house, the ONT replaced the old box that housed the copper line from street, house phone wiring is feed from that location so all that was need was to feed the house pair to line one inside the ONT. Done. Phone was working instantly.

First Impressions TV:
Holy cow. The graphics, picture quality. Amazing. Just the menu alone is impressive. Lots of color and icons of the networks. Both boxes display the same menu baring any functions that they don't support (ie. DVR or Media Center on the regular STB).

The positives over Comcast:
* changing channels is quicker [SD and HD]
* menu graphics
* better (much much better) picture quality on SD channels
* HD looks a little better (I believe the standard HD stream of 19.2 Mbps is too much compression in general)
* NO DVR lockups
* DVR larger drive (Verizon 160G, Comcast 120G - no a lot but a little helps with HD recording)
* more channels [SD and HD]
* more music channels
* more clear QAM channels
* On Demand programming includes CBS and NBC shows
* less expensive for more programming/channels

Same between the two:
* DVR response, slow to bring up the menu after hitting the button

The negatives over Comcast:
* No HD On Demand programming at all
- I knew about this before making the order in hopes that it will come this year ('08)
* On Demand menu takes a longer time to come up
* Time on the DVR takes a while to display when changing channels or viewing recorded shows
* DVR rebooted twice while watching a show between 4 - 5pm on a weekday over a two week period

First Impressions Phone:
This is where I wish I would of done more research on. The phone service works find but I diffidently got the better deal with Comcast when it comes to features.

The positives over Comcast:
* cheaper when paired with Internet and/or Fios TV

Same between the two:
Phone
* Voice quality is the same
* Caller ID and call waiting work just fine

The negatives over Comcast:
* no online access to phone/voicemail
- this is kind of a big deal, with Comcast's system allowed a lot of control over the phone's functionality.
* $.40 more for Call Waiting Caller ID - (throw it in for free Verizon)
* Voicemail
- no online access to retrieve messages
- can't modify number of rings before VM picks up
- no option for email notification if voicemail was received
- voicemail notification does not show up on the phone (my phone [Panasonic KX-TG8232B] display "voicemail" if there is one, worked with Comcast Digital Voice and the older service Digital Phone)

Over all I am satisfied with making the switch but the phone service's lack of features does kind of suck. This was an over site on my part as I concentrated more on the TV aspect of FiOS and didn't do any comparisons between Comcast & Verizon on phone service. I will keep the Verizon phone service because it will be too expensive to move back to Comcast but I do hope that they will improve on it. I can see why people are moving their service to the Cable Co. if they all like Comcast provide a wide range of control and functions.

June / 2007 - update

Still with Verizon FiOS and I canceled service with Comcast in February '07. Much to my surprise there was no "Please don't go" or "We'll offer you this price for ..." from the Comcast rep. It was like he didn't care that I was leaving and service ended right after hanging up the phone.

Still no FiOS speed upgrade for Oregon but Verizon did say in a press release that "some of the 11 other states" will see upgrades before the end of the year (»newscenter.verizon.com/press-rel···its.html) . Hopefully Oregon will be one of them but some how I doubt it. It seems like Verizon and Comcast feel no need to duke it out over speed / price in this area. Friends with FiOS or Comcast HSI service in Seattle area are seeing the same thing. It could be that most of the NW is QWEST and they pose no threat of being a real broadband leader in the near future. Question being, do I really need a boost in speed... At this time no but could prove to be useful within the next year. I've started experimenting with IPTV (ok picture quality, content is lacking) and more family members are subscribing to some kind of broadband service with the hopes of doing video conferencing (grandparents seeing their "first grand child" via IM in Jan '08). I had hopes to be able to have a device to rent HD movies via some download service but still find that market a big disappointment so that still is far off. XBOX 360 and AppleTV maybe but still lack in movies and features.

OK so back to my update review, in mid March '07 a neighbors water pipe broke near the meter and during this fix the contractor cut my fiber line. (My fiber line crosses over their water service.) The contractor called it in but didn't tell my neighbor. That evening when I discovered the cut I talked to my neighbor, he didn't know that it was cut (nor was knowledgeable in FiOS in the first place... ugh.) so I called it in. Verizon didn't have on record that my "outage" was reported before so a new ticket was created. Weak I thought. Next day Verizon was out and laid a temporary [fiber optic] cable on the ground so we could have some service and created a ticket to have their cable bearing sub-contractors come to replace the broken line.

Week later coming home I noticed the new fiber line coiled up next to the ONT. Another week went by and no transition from the temporary to the permanent so I called. Was told that they will be out in the next week to make the change. The "week" went by (it's now mid April) and my wife called me to tell me the sub-contractor was there to put in the new cable. Huh? I talked with him on the phone but his English was very limited so need less to say we got nowhere. I told my wife to just have him do what ever. We were getting tired seeing the temporary cable being a part of our landscape. Just like the other two, they managed to do a good job for the third one. No cut electrical, water, sewer and gas lines. Then finally about 8 days later Verizon made the switch to the new fiber line.

From the initial cut to the final switch over it took about 5 weeks. Even though service was disrupted three short times (when the fiber was first cut, to switching to the temp line, then to the permanent) I wasn't pleased in the time frame the way Verizon handled it. I wish Verizon could of updated me with the progress of the job via phone call or access online.

So the service is still going strong. Online speed tests show 14.8 - 15.5 Mbit down and 1.7 - 1.9 Mbit up. One part about Verizon broadband service we really like is the integration with Yahoo or MSN. We are a Yahoo family so we linked up our Yahoo accounts with Verizon. Now we have access to most or all paid Yahoo services. Unlimited email storage, POP3 access, no adds viewing email via web interface, CD quality streaming music (not quite close to CD quality according to my ears), free CA anti-virus software (if going MSN they supply McAfee), larger online briefcase storage and so on. An added benefit switching to FiOS from Comcast HSI.

Other than that, nothing else to report. At the beginning of getting FiOS I thought that signing up for the 15/2 service would be over kill but I find that the wife and I are able find ways to use that bandwidth, mostly streaming video but also streaming music and VPN. Hopefully Oregon is on the list to see the upgrades and when it does I'll post another update.

-- old review --

Fiber was laid in my neighborhood in late August early September '06. Some time in October I was illegible for service but I waited to see if Verizon would do a speed increase for FiOS customers in Oregon. At the time I had Comcast HSI ( 6 Mbps / 384 kbps) and I was hoping to move FiOS's 10 Mbps / 2 Mbps service that is offered in other Verizon states. The idea of paying $11 less a month for faster service...(drool).

Comcast HSI: $45.95 - $42.95 (for 6 Mbps / 384kbps) + $3.00 modem rental
Verizon Fios: $34.95 - 5 Mbps / 2 Mbps (10 Mbps / 2 Mbps in some states)

In late December it never happened so I called up to order the $44.95 service (15 Mbps / 2 Mbps). Thinking that I can always drop back to the lower tier of service if I felt that it's too much. Order was placed on December 23 and schedule for Jan 3, 2007 @ noon. Bonus was that install is free and I get the first three months of service for $29.95.

Dec. 26, the sidewalk, part of my landscape and walkway were marked for all underground utilities. It's Winter in Oregon and so I didn't care if a plant or two nor my bark dust had spray paint on them. It will go away.

Dec. 27, a Verizon representative stopped by the house to scout out a location for the fiber to access the house from the street. My wife was home to meet with her and they both picked a very good spot. (The way the Fiber was laid in the street it was not possible to use the same path as the old copper line.) My only requirement was to remove about 10 bricks from the walk way for the fiber cable to poke out. The Verizon rep. said that their contractor will be out as early as Friday (Dec. 29) to bury fiber from the street to the house.

Jan 2 Verizon's fiber contractor showed up around 10:00 am ish. Wife was home to meet with them and answer any questions. I did speak with one of them on the phone just to make sure that the fiber was to come out where the Verizon rep. said. He reiterated what the rep. said and I felt comfortable after hanging up. The job only took 2 hours and no damage to any of the utilities. Gas, water, power, old Verizon copper and storm/gutter drains is what they had to navigate around. (I wish I could watch them do it.) They did leave a tarp in my neighbors yard.

Jan 3. I ended up taking the whole day off so I could finish up preparing for the install. (A different and long "lesson learned" type of story.) While at HomeDepot that morning (8:00 am ish) I got a call from the Installer asking to come over at 8:15 am. Their morning install didn't have the fiber to the house yet (mix up between Verizon and the fiber contractor). No problem to come early since I had the day off.

Two guys, one has been doing installs for 20 years with Verizon, the other, an apprentice worked in sales for 5 years than moved to installs. Both very friendly and didn't mind if I just stand around and watched.

I had them remove the old POTS box ( I current have Comcast Digital Voice for phone) and place the ONT in the same location. (It was obvious that the primary installer had been do this for years. He was very cautious when drilling holes making sure that they are clear of power or other obstacles.) They coiled up the old copper and left it in the ground. They said it's required by the county or State (I don't remember) to leave it in case I wanted POTS service from some other Company (Integra, Eschelon, MCI/Verizon).

Hour later the power supply was installed in the garage and the ONT installed outside. Fiber connected to the ONT and power on...but no blinky lights. They did something out in the street and then it started working. Next, service in to the house.

I had them place the CAT5 box up in the closet of the computer room. It was the easiest since the ONT and that side of the closet are on the same side of the house. He drilled a hole for the CAT5 access and ran it along the house. (My house is pretty much light in color so the CAT isn't noticeable unless you are trying to look for it.) The computer room is on the second floor so he stapled the CAT along a groove on the exterior down to the foundation. There he ran along the foundation to the ONT. Installed the connector on the CAT for the ONT and did the same for the small service box in the computer room.

They un-boxed the router and hooked up my computer to it. Powered up the router, initialized my account and then finally ran a speed test from www.speedtest.net (Seattle server). Speed at first jumped to 15 Mbps then dropped drastically to about 4 Mbps. He said my machine's TCP/IP parameters needed to be configured to run at a faster speed so we went to www.speedguide.net and ran the TCP Optimizer. Rebooted, ran the speed test again got the advertised speed 15 Mbps down and 1.8 Mbps. Not quite there on the upload but it's still 4 to 5 times faster then Comcast.

Currently I haven't canceled Comcast service because I wanted to compare the two. What I do mostly is listen to online radio (Shoutcast or my XM Radio subscription) and work remotely. Having the jump in upload has greatly helped my speed when VPN to work and syncing files or dealing with 5 - 15 meg attachments. Once in a while I need to download a Linux ISO or software from MSDN and I get a kick seeing download speeds of 1 Megabyte per second ( ~ 1.7 MB to be more exact).

After having the service for a week now, I just love it and of course Verizon has me hook on the 15/2 service. Now my only complaint is that some servers I access have slower connections then me so I'm forced to slow down. ( oh darn.)

Comments:

Review by TwinBing See Profile

• Location: Plano,Collin,TX
Good "Fast and reliable"
Overall "Best choice if available"

Monthly cost includes internet, FiOS TV Extreme package and FiOS Digital Voice phone.

member for 12.5 years, 3266 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by grobinette See Profile

• Location: Springfield,Fairfax,VA
Good "Insanely Fast Internet and Dynamite Audio and Video"
Bad "Did not like the option offered for where the power supply was installed"
Overall "Good value for the money"

So I dropped my DSL provider that I have had for five years and switched. The install period would have been as short as 10 days but because I wanted the FIOS TV service and my availability to be off from work, the install period had to be extended.

30Mbps down 5 Mbps up is insanely fast and I am meeting or surpassing the download speeds and just under the advertised speeds - 31100 down and 4599 up with Speakeasy's WDC test. I had not run a lot of speed tests for a while but these are fun.

The installer did not want to put the power supply in a location in the laundry room where it would have been completely out of the way. This is a minor issue but bothersome because a different installer did take the time to locate the power supply in the same area I had initially chosen in a neighbor’s house. Admittedly, putting the power supply in my preferred location would have taken way more time and involved a lot of blind fishing through a chase from the outside, but there is an obvious difference between what their installers will do for you.

Both inside and outside cabling was done neatly but inside cabling is exposed.

Regardless, both installers did a neat job, wore shoe covers when they went outside and came back in, cleaned up most of their debris from the installation and were courteous and friendly. I did get two installers, one who was familiar with the internet portion and one who did the television portion.

Other things the site asks for:

Home equipment is the Actiontec wireless router.

The router is configured nicely out of the box, because it forces you to change the default user name and password on initial access and has some fairly decent default security settings for the wireless.

DHCP Dynamic IP

There is no need to install the Verizon supplied software beyond the initial setting up your account process. To see how it would go - I opted to use their configuring software for Outlook Express and was given an unpleasant surprise of having additional software downloaded and installed that I was not informed of or given the ability to opt out. That was not really necessary and not a good practice in my opinion. They also offer optimizer software to reset your RWIN for the higher speeds, but it is also not necessary as you can do the same with DrTCP.

Overall a fairly good experience.

So, I've had Verizon for a little over a year now and things are going well. I did have one instance where I lost all connectivity (Phone TV Internet) for 4 days. The coordination between customer service and getting a service call was atrocious. Many promises were made but it took from Friday until Tuesday afternoon to get service back. After 3 hours of diagnostics and head scratching on my ONT the tech discovered that it was self inflicted by another Verizon tech, who during a separate install moved my connection because it was in the way and did not put it back right.

My Actiontec router lasted a whopping 14 months and then it got the LAN jitters. All LAN lights flickering like everything on the network was talking to it but no action.

Wireless and the TV portion of the service survived and to Verizon's credit they dropped a replacement router on my doorstep the next morning. It was configured for PPPoE but a phone call, a hard reset and a release of the IP address fixed that.

So, I am still pleased with the overall triple play bundle except that they have dropped the 30/5 package I have. So far they have not bugged me about it and I am still running at that speed. A few minor price increases in the STB and a service here and there. To put them in perspective comparing them to the increased cost of gasoline, it's been minor.

Working on my third router since I've had the service. First one lasted 14 months as stated above. This one lasted less than 10 months and the transformer went bad. I am disappointed that Verizon has partnered up with a company that cannot seem to provide decent quality equipment for them. If you have a wireless router I recommend keeping it around to fill the gap when your Verizon provided equipment craps out on you.

I had to switch my plan because I added a new HD STB and Verizon suggested that I could save some money due to the fact that I was out of plan. I went with the 25/15 internet service and took the HD Extreme package which added a bunch of HD channels that for the most part the better half would be interested in. My original download speeds had been sliding down to about 28MB download so it isn't much of a cutback.

For some reason Verizon bumped up my 25/15 service to 30/25 and maintained the price. Whatever, I'll take it.

3/12 - Working on my second renewal. I officially had to go to the 25/25 plan although I was already getting those speeds. Rebundled with digital voice because they were forcing me off of a legacy messge rate phone service and updated the HD plan to the current HD extreme to get a better discount. Verizon internet service has been great. TV service still has great picture and audio but I am not pleased with their lack of new HD channels or their bundling pricing tactics.

Capacity test statistics
------------------------
Download capacity: 25978112 bps
Download packets per second: 3247
Upload capacity: 23319880 bps
Upload packets per second: 2914
Quality of service: 98 %
Packet size: 1000 Bytes

Savings with the additional box and extra channels is about $15 per month. Still loving the service and if they will work with you on a plan that saves you a few bucks a month and give you more offerings with minimal change in internet speeds that's okay by me.

So everything seems to be going okay. I don't miss the HD channels they removed and don't watch the stupid channels they added. I do like the beefed up VOD selections on the premium channels. It makes paying for the premium channels worth it. For some unknown reason they upped my speed to 30 / 25 which puts me back to my original download more or less with a boatload more upload speed.
I suppose they discovered some surplus download and decided to share it.

So they system is bugging me again and all I can say is that I have dropped all the premium channels and the outrageous inside line maintenance cost on the phone to save some money. They want way too much for the premium channels but don't offer enough in HD to make it worth the expense. Switched to using Netflix and Vudu for movies and get better quality at a lower price. Verizon needs to pick it up and start pumping out more quality selections in HD.

»www.speedtest.net/result/3970250061.png

member for 14 years, 8307 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by aquacalc See Profile

• Location: Hoboken,Hudson,NJ
Good "didn't have a disruption in service since day 1 (almost 24 months now)"
Bad "customer service and technical support are nearly useless"
Overall "quality of service is better than Cablevision"

All in all for the past two years the Verizon FIOS internet service was excellent.

That said, a few months ago, I had decided to connect my own router (ZyXel USG200) directly to LAN port on the Verizon FIOS panel, in order to bypass Verizon MI424WR router. Verizon support personnel was ineffective to say the least -- I went through at least six technicians (and at least as many customer service representatives, including the Verizon retention department).

Finally, I got to one very good and very bright guy who was able to activate my LAN port on the FIOS panel within ~15 minutes.

Comments:

VZKid

@108.28.109.x

Moca to Ethernet

That ONT port is only supposed to be changed for internet tiers of 150mbps or more which is why you were unable to get anyone to help you. Sounds like someone went against Verizon policy and switched you from Moca to Ethernet.

aquacalc
join:2014-11-08
Hoboken, NJ

Re: Moca to Ethernet

Good to know -- Thank you!

Review by Mike See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA
Good "Installer was good, far better than Comcast in ever regard. Performance and quality is so much better."
Bad "A lot of rare HD channels that no one wants instead of other useful HD"
Overall "Bye Comcast. Hope to never see you again"

Finally. After as long as fiber has been out I can finally get the thing.

I got a call one night that the fiber was lit up on my street and placed an order on the spot. I'm getting Digital Voice (VOiP), IPTV, and Data - 25m/15m.

5 days later the installer showed up, cut down the copper, put up aerial fiber, and hooked up everything.

I get a call at 9:25am that the fellow will be out here (one guy) to do everything. He shows up at 9:45am since traffic was good.

He's based about 20 miles away to the north. Everything is going to go off of coaxial. ONT / Power will be inside.

I showed him the ropes he said it isn't going to be too bad.

Now the fun starts.
Verizon isn't even good to Verizon.

None of us could see the fiber drop. He went to the back alley then lit up a cigarette. Can't see anything. He picks up his cell and is on hold for like 15 minutes.

Apparently the initial fiber lay is about 200 feet too short so he's going to have to go back to his depot, pick up a terminal, a line truck, and then extend the fiber, install a terminal, THEN he can tear down the copper.

Estimated time to completion - 7 hours.

This is turning really, really bad.

So after he comes back he clips the copper, runs the fiber, runs everything.

Now the configuration part... yeah not so much.

The HD box and one standard was DOA so he got another of each and each worked. He said a lot of these are DOA.

The Motorola 7100 HD and apparently any Onkyo product = instant green screen because of a parity bit error because "there is no HDMI standard" according to the installer.

So you can't quite use HDMI sound. You need to use optical out. He gave me an optical cable and said have fun and peaced out.

As of now the IMG is release - 1.6.2, Build 08.58, QIP-7100 PI.

I did have to call Verizon tech support because the installer locked me out of my new FiOS router - Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. D (Taiwan).

However, I would like to give one last big FU to Comcast. It took 35 minutes to cancel my account. I was transferred 4 times and the last guy who actually claimed to cancel gave me lip for a good 5 - 10 minutes about how it was a bad mistake and tried to FUD Verizon. What an ass.

03-01-2010 update

My firmware is now 1.7.1 and I changed a standard box to a HD box. That fixed all HDMI problems with the Onkyo.

10-04-2012

Completely solid. 5 hours of downtime in 2 years. Not bad. A shame that the roll-outs have stopped.

---

11-21-2014

It still works great. I have no complaints. I added a third party Asus RTN66U wireless router and turned off the Actiontec wireless. The range and performance is better.

member for 14.3 years, 7843 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

tp0d
yabbazooie
join:2001-02-13
Carnegie, PA

roll outs havent stopped.. theyre building mt washington now. (mebe you meant somewhere other than the burg?)
if it aint broke, tweak it!!
currently on FiOS (kick aZZ!)

Review by Modus See Profile

• Location: us
Good "Internet speeds are on point no fluctuation"
Bad "The hdmi cables they give are garbage! To get the most out of your Fios tv buy some better HDMI cables"
Overall "The Fios Tv service is also awesome it's such a big difference in comparison to cable tv"

I have since transitioned to a chord cutting life style. I don't have the Fios tv service anymore, I am now using my own router on the internet only service and i love it. The Fios tv service was great but i noticed that they were increasing the price every year and i thought to put a end to that which i did. The internet service so far still is great, plus i don't have my bill increasing every year which is nice.

Comments:

Review by dianac See Profile

• Location: Demarest,Bergen,NJ
Good "Rock solid: fast and reliable...even stayed up through Hurricane Sandy."
Bad "Expensive to buy broadband alone"
Overall "Buy the triple play bundle"

Have been a FiOS subscriber since the first week it was offered in my town (fall of 2006) and have been very happy with the service provided. Fortunately, FiOS mostly just works, and so interaction with Verizon's technical support is minimal (their support is still as bad as when they were part of Ma Bell).

We added FiOS-TV to our bundle in June of 2014 (using TiVo Roamio DVRs and Minis, not the Verizon Quantum TV Home Media Center, the VMS1100). So far we have been happy with that service as well, again having no issues that caused us to call support. By buying TiVos instead of using Verizon equipment we save almost $80 per month.

member for 226 days, 72 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

gary snyder

@50.248.32.x

routing issue - poor customer service

Starting today, packets routed to my static ip range are not showing up at my router. A call to customer service was unable to resolve the issue - they could not even diagnose beyond a simple ping, without sending a truck to the site.

Packets destined for my mail server @ 71.162.143.202 are being presented to postfix1-gtkcentral.net. (not my domain!!!!) Verizon business fios support was unable to diagnose - beyond a ping - which of course succeeded even though it was bouncing off the wrong host. I was unable to escalate to someone who could diagnose network routing issues.

As I am off site and will be for several days, this situation absolutely sucks. My name server, mail server, and web server are essentially off line. This is clearly a routing issue - worked yesterday, not today. No one to talk to. Piss poor. I will be seeking a new ISP upon my return home.

VashTS

@65.35.159.x

Re: routing issue - poor customer service

U should maybe go to the support page here for Verizon customers. Also dont post ur IP. Not only can I ping ur IP, witch means its working I can now scan for open ports and do other bad things. All tech support can do is ping. Looks heres a trace route. The 2 timeouts just might not be pingable. Thats normal. I dont know what issue your having but you have an IP and without being on site or even able to remote in to test them the server you cant just blame Verizon for what could be your problem. Maybe setup VNC so you can do that next time.

TraceRoute from Network-Tools.com to 71.162.XXX.XXX
5 40 40 40 71.162.XXX.XXX mail.gary*********.com
Trace complete

Review by agilityman00 See Profile

• Location: Carmel,Putnam,NY
Good "Great speed and low latency,"
Overall "Great performance for the money"

10-27-14
I now have 50/50, which actually is around 60/55. No problems, except I returned a cable card and didn't get credit for it. However calling tech support was a pleasant surprise...answered right away, gave me an instant credit on my account for the charges for the cable card, so I have given a better review to tech support. Still very happy with FIOS.

06-15-11
Still great after 6 years and no outages ever. Constant 20/5. I now have an htpc and run the TV through Media Center via a cable card...works great!

06-30-08
Three years now and FIOS hasn't missed a beat! Even the original battery is still going. I now have the double play, internet and video. I dropped the land line.

Still going strong Hasn't been down at all since install (as far as I know). I now have 20mb down and 5mb up. No video available yet :-(

-------------------------------------

I've had FIOS for a year and a half now and can't be more happy. No down time at all, at least that I am aware of. Speed is as advertised and low latency. I don't use Verizon's mail servers, so I can't comment on that. I just wish they would get the TV going here too.

------------------------------------

I've had it for a week now and couldn't be happier. Verizon called twice to confirm the time and gave me a more definite time on the second call...between 8 and 10am. Tech arrived at 8:30 and after checking out with me the best way to go about installing the ONT and the power supply, he got to work. After four hours, everything was installed, but there was no light in the fiber. I had horrible thoughts of getting some excuse and not being able to get my fios today. To my pleasant surprise, after a phone call by the tech, within 20 minutes there were four Verizon trucks in front of my house. The problem turned out to be a bad splice down the road. They had light to me in about an hour and after setting up the router and my computer, everything worked great.

Comments:

Rae

@172.56.4.x

Fios is terrible

I'm sorry, but today is my first time having them, they came and installed the equipment around 9am, but its after 5pm and I still can't access my WiFi! I called Verizon a hour after it was installed a lady said, it's pending and should be on around 12pm - 1pm. I called back the same day, because its doing the same thing. I been on the phone for a hour now. And no help, I switched from my old company for this?