Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1927 reviews (1455 good) (140 bad)

Review by bob1954 See Profile

• Location: Hackensack,Bergen,NJ
Good "Great value for money, great hd picture, Internet fast, clear phone line."
Overall "If Fios is available in your area do not hestitate and get it..."

Well I was a Cablevision customer for many years and satisfied most of time but with Fios I choosen the Ultimate HD with the 35/35 Internet and the home phone line for 120.00 per month with no contract and the price is good for 24 months. With these services I also have multi room DVR for life for as long as I keep all 3 services. The speed I am receiving now is 43 / 35 and I very happy because this is the speed I receive any time of the day, which was a problem with Optimum. The wireless router is a plus..I will keep you updated as time goes on.

This is just an update of the services I have, and I really don't have anything to add to my review.. The services have been flawless and I couldn't be any happier..I would highly recommend Fios to anyone that can receive it...The phone service is crystal clear, and the TV has a great HD picture, and the internet is always 43megs down and 35 megs up...

06/20/12: Renegoicated by Fios deal so I can get the new speeds, which for me now is 84megs down and 37mes up. I still have all the channels plus all the HD Channels...No visit was required, and everything was done as promissed...If this service is available to you, there is no other choices...Recommend highly...

I am still very well pleased with the service and speed, but the only thing I would like to see them do is add more HD channels..

05/28/2014 Well I am still pleased with my Fios.. I was Cablevision customer for many year before Fios and Cablevision is a good company, but when the people came home from work, the internet took a dive downward.. I can't say that about Fios it is the same speed all the time 75/35 and with Netflix it works and performs very well for me.

member for 14.4 years, 4501 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
ExtremeRFR

join:2005-05-13
West New York, NJ

1 recommendation

Multi Room DVR RULES

In order to keep the MultiRoom DVR, you must keep your services active and uninterrupted. Meaning if you are late on a payment kiss your Multi Room DVR Free for Life GONE! Set up automatic payments so you can keep your DVR monthly fee FREE. Or pay each month and not pass the Date Due. Just to let you know. I was reading the fine prints. Good luck and enjoy your FiOS! I've been a customer for over 2 years. I love their services!

Review by Xela19115 See Profile

• Location: Richboro,Bucks,PA
Good "The service is solid, Internet is fast, video PQ is great"
Bad "Installation department and customer service need to have a better coordination"
Overall "Great value for the money"

The service seems to be fast and stable. Ping numbers are low, well at least compared to Comcast. And it is fast. I have not done any tweaking yet... Just got installed a few days ago.

Update: 5/14/2014: Still great service at a decent price.

member for 13.8 years, 3398 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by tippboogie See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY

·Verizon Online DSL
Not one single problem. Glad I made the switch.

Comments:

Review by gateguy See Profile

• Location: Reisterstown,Baltimore,MD
Good "speed speed speed"
Overall "I absolutely love it"

My install was performed last April. I had selected the 15/15 plan. The presales communications were frequent, but sometimes confusing. I had received emails that had three different installations dates. I was asked if I wanted to keep my same phone number (why after having it for 18 years would I want to change it)

The installation went smoothly.

I had since upgraded to the 20/20 plan. Initially they downgraded me to the 10/2 plan (how the rep selected the wrong option is beyond me). But waited for the order to complete and then replaced the order for the correct speeds.

I normally see 2.52MB up and down.

[update 8/6/2009] Still loving the Fios. Not too happy with all the sales calls trying to get me to 'upgrade'.

[update 9/24/2010] My FIOS service was upgraded today (yet again!). I now have the 35/35Mb internet connection. I have the Ultimate TV package and the Freedom Essentials telephone. My new price is $79 per month. Gotta love it.

[update 10/4/2012] Still loving the Fios. Now I am getting the 50/25 package. I did have to have the battery/charger system replaced. The guy came out the same day (on a Saturday).

[update 05/07/2014] I still enjoy my Fios. There are times though that the peering issues Verizon is/was having with NetFlix are causing issues. But overall it has been a very rock solid service.

Comments:

Review by Rick4769 See Profile

• Location: Buffalo,Erie,NY
Good "Fast reliable internet speeds, excellent SD & HD TV & digital phone"
Bad "Needs to add a few more HD channels"
Overall "FIOS is outstanding compared to my previous provider Time Warner."

I opted for the Ultimate TV package with all the premium channels, 75/35 internet and the digital phone with battery backup. In addition I also ordered two DVR's. Shortly, I will be receiving a $400.00 Visa card for signing up for the Ultimate package which was the icing on the cake.

The install was very professional with ethernet connections on all areas. I did not opt for the WiFi connection as I wanted to be hard wired. The FIOS technician was very helpful and explained everything aspect of the install to us. The entire time for install was about 3 1/2 hours. The tech went over all the features on the remotes and the DVR boxes. FIOS is far superior to my previous provider Time Warner as far as television picture quality in SD as well as HD. The interactive guide on the Cisco DVR's were greatly advanced as compared to Time Warner's. Now I know why people rave about FIOS. One issue I had with Time Warner was their digital phone going out when there was a power outage. With Fios, I now have a battery backup with the digital phone and won't lose my telephone connection in a power outage.

I would like to see FIOS offer more HD TV stations such as TCM, UP, Inspiration, Esquire, Longhorn and HLN to name a few. FIOS also needs to add the locals such as ION Network station, Retro TV and CBC Toronto.

I highly recommend FIOS as compared to cable television and now understand why so many subscribers like FIOS.

Comments:

Rick4769

join:2012-11-21
Buffalo, NY

Update 5/12/14

Received my Verizon FIOS $400.00 Visa card today two weeks ahead of schedule. I failed to mention in my review that the FIOS TV guide is far superior to my previous provider, Time Warner cable. Far more advanced and even had a search function TWC never had.

Review by Laszlo See Profile

• Location: Morrisville,Bucks,PA
Good "Speedy and reliable internet"
Bad "Terrible experience with billing when we had TV"
Overall "Great at just internet, bad with TV bundles"

We signed up for FiOS back in September 2006 as soon as it became available in our area. Our original speed was 5/2 for $34.95/mo. We had no issues at all with our service when getting simple internet access.

Several years later we added TV to our plan and had no end of trouble. Verizon seemed incapable of properly billing us, making mistakes on our bill for 6 out of 7 months! It was a horrendous experience calling up customer service monthly to clear up issues. The CSRs would always assure us our complaints would be resolved (and that credit for their mistakes would be issued on our next statement), but when the next bill arrived, it almost always repeated the same billing overcharge _and_ did not refund us as promised. When things were finally resolved, we cut the cord on TV entirely (and never again had a billing issue).

TV was also expensive, at $37 for 15/5 internet, $48 for TV Essentials, $6/mo rental for each STB, and ~$5 tax and Video Franchise Fee (plus around $20/mo from their myriad billing screw-ups and overcharges). From July 2010 until December 2013, our pricing remained at $54.99/mo for 15/5 internet. From January 2014, they jacked the price up 15% to $62.99 with no bump in service. If anything, our streaming at YouTube and Netflix has been degraded lately (all other sites seem unaffected). No doubt Verizon is trying to extract protection money to access their customers, like Comcast managed to do recently.

In 2013 we had to ask for a replacement router because ours was dropping signal. A replacement (an Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. F) was mailed out without issue. However, we would still intermittently have issues with the signal not reaching to all bedrooms, or slowdowns that required a router restart. We eventually bought our own (an Asus RT-N66U) and those problems largely disappeared.

____________
Timeline of complaints I submitted to the FCC and BBB regarding the billing debacle:

Nov - Made a call on 11/30/2009 to cancel the Games + Starz Play Pak trial (before the promotion deadline).

Dec - Charged $16 for Games + Starz Play Pak (this amount was never refunded). Tried unsuccessfully to cancel HBO trial online but changes would not save, so called in to cancel both HBO and Starz on Dec 2.

Jan - Charged $3.66 for HBO trial we'd also cancelled in time, $16 again for Games despite their previous assurance it would be removed (refunded only $12.67 of it in Feb), AND $8.99 for a Security/Backup plan that we'd never signed up for or been in a trial period for.

Jan 24 - Called to cancel them, again.

Feb - HBO cancellation again not honored, with $22.59 in new charges. The "Internet Additional Services" from Jan refunded (erroneously called "Adj FiOS TV Equipment").

Feb 12 - CSR told us HBO would be credited on next bill and canceled.

Mar - Refunded $25.65 of HBO charges

Apr - Billed $37 TWICE for FiOS internet service, the second time as an "Internet Additional Service", even though we are enrolled in the Verizon Flex internet/TV bundle.

Apr 9 - Spoke with a CSR who acknowledged the error on April's bill and filed for a refund of $39.22 on May's bill. Asked to drop TV bundle back to just internet service. Told there would be a $179 early termination fee, but after consulting with a supervisor, said it would be waived. She said the fee would most likely not show up at all, but would review our bill to verify that or refund the fee if charged. At this point appears resolved after 2 hours 46 minutes spent on the phone with Verizon Customer service, and several hours more trying to decipher obfuscated & error-riddled bills.
____________

And, if you hadn't guessed, the $179 ETF _did_ show up on our next bill, though that was quickly resolved by calling back the senior supervisor.

To top it all off, when we had to return the set-top boxes, Verizon only sent us one return shipping box (we had 2 STBs). We gave the other one away on Craigslist rather than deal with Verizon customer service for one more minute. Needless to say, we have stayed far away from TV bundles ever since.

Comments:

Review by GeekNJ See Profile

• Location: Waldwick,Bergen,NJ
Good "Fast and low latency"
Bad "Install was less then stellar"
Overall "Updated 11/2007 - Still fast and reliable"

·Optimum Online
Placed my order online on 10/29/05. Got an email confirmation on Monday 10/31. Selected install date of 11/9. Sunday before install 2 folks came and ran the fiber from the pole to my house. Weds comes and the tech shows up on time. Needs to replace the overhead wire the prev techs ran over the weekend because they used underground wiring and not overhead wiring. Gets the ONT installed and cuts over my phones before heading to lunch. After lunch he finishes the install and I check my speeds - 4mb down - no where near the 15mb speed. Techs think it's my computer, which it isn't. We swap routers, cables, etc. 2nd tech shows up and we use his computer - 4mb down still. We reboot the ONT, PON and Controller (I'm the only one on it they say). No luck. Set me to 30/5 - my upload increases but download still the same. Techs leave for the day.

Over the next week, nothing much happens other then one tech swaps out the ONT and tests the speed and it's still poor. I'm on with the Fiber Solution Center in Virginia each day making sure they are working on it. Always start out with "Are you sure it's not your computer..." and I cut them off. I tell them where there's packet loss, etc but it doesn't register. I was getting about 8% packet loss to my first hop after the Verizon supplied router.

I finally get a good rep that understands and becomes my advocate, along with a Verizon employee from this site. It took a couple more days but he got the right people involved and listening to what I was telling them. Even though they had already swapped my ONT, they came out again and did it a 2nd time. Absolutely no difference - a waste of Verizon's time and resources. They finally started paying attention to my info and though I've been told there were 20 people on a conf call the final day, some were still questioning if it was a customer issue. Silly wabbits! After a week, they determined the likely cause within the CO and scheduled an overnight outage to resolve it. I woke up the next morning and speeds were pushing 15mb.

Since the issue was resolved, things seem fine. I don't really need email or web hosting as I pay for my own domain and hosting. Newsgroups aren't really important to me.

I didn't have any issues on Optimum Online where my connection was stable and speeds were fine, but I felt it was worthwhile to switch to become familiar with the technology (probably got more of a lesson then most) as well as do what I can to make sure each company feels pressure from customers to keep things as competitive as possible.

I'll update as time goes on or as service changes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 9/24/06 - Service has been relatively flawless. I've bumped up the connection reliability to a 5. Still on PPPoE though they supposedly are looking to convert to all DHCP. Had a phone issue last week where we had no service. Had to call two times and took a day but they resolved it on their end. Something to do with a switching error. I'm leaving texh support as a 4 rating due to multiple calls needed on our part to resolve a Verizon issue. Verizon's mail has had some issues but I don't use it and only know because of posts here which I then check to see if I'm also impacted.

Service was upgraded to 20/5 and all seems fine, usually getting that speed consistently throughout the day. I'm not impacted by routing issues like some others in the northeast with routing going through Texas for more local requests.

Update 11/12/2007 - Have had FIOS Internet service for 2 years now and ongoing service has been extremely solid. No outages that I recall.

Phone service (POTS) remains solid and reliable. Much more reliable then my copper was. It would go out whenever they did work on the pole outside my house.

TV service has also been solid though HD content is lagging behind Cablevision at this moment. Announcements from Verizon indicate 2008 should bring more HD.

Update 4/26/14 - Switched back to Optimum saving $90/mo for same services with CV.

Comments:

Review by CapeFish See Profile

• Location: Wimauma,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Fast internet, good no contract triple play promotion, reliable so far"
Bad "Customer service still too complicated, TVEverywhere server, Nickel & dime you"
Overall "FiOS is a great product if you can get through the Verizon maze"

·Bright House
July 2013: I ordered FiOS 50/25 internet service online as part of a Triple Play that included TV and phone service. Install was the next day and went well...other than for some wiring labeling mix ups (brand new house) on the TV coax that caused signal issues. That was the fault of the home builder and not Verizon, though Verizon corrected them next day free-of-charge.

The tech installed an ONT on the side of my garage where the builder terminated the coax and two Cat-6 runs (one for internet and one for phone). A contractor did a nice job of trenching the fiber from the node in my side yard to the garage earlier in the morning. He used coax for the internet instead of the Cat-6, but this can be changed in the future as he prepared it for either a second phone line/alarm phone line or ethernet connection from ONT to router. My Actiontec gateway was installed and has worked flawlessly. The WiFi signal blankets my home and the ethernet drop to my office is great. Install took about 2 hours from arrival to departure.

One aspect of Verizon Florida's install is the installer leaves you their business card on a magnet for your fridge. I didn't realize you could call the installer directly for 30 days (or any repair after that) and they will try to make a house call to take care of it. Nice idea to not deal with Verizon's massive CSR phone maze.

I will note every Verizon employee I've spoken to on the phone told me where they were, with 90% being in Tampa and one I've spoken to in Texas. Thumbs up to having US-based support. The only ISP issue so far has been with Verizon's TVEverywhere server having an outage yesterday (no MAXGo, WatchESPN, or BTN2Go) and it was corrected after a few hours.

Speed tests have delivered low (below 50 ms) latencies and speeds above 50 download/25 upload. Verizon's Speed Test has latencies below 20 ms, downloads near 60, and uploads near 30 consistently. The other option, Bright House Networks, offered 90/10, 60/5, 30/2, and 10/1 internet packages. By comparison, FiOS offers me 15/5, 50/25. 75/35, 150/65, and 300/65 internet packages in my neighborhood. In the future, I plan to take advantage of FiOS built-in MOCA network to add ethernet connections to a PC in a bedroom without ethernet. Verizon has definitely made this a power user service!

Update 4/6/2014: Started having some issues with Verizon's router. Speeds were half of normal and latencies rose. Found a bad splitter, which has been eliminated. Seems like the problems have returned here a few days later. Think I may call Bright House...

Update 4/16/2014: Verizon asked for a last chance to fix the issues, they will be heading out tomorrow. We will see if we can get things back working right. Turns out the higher uploads were needed for work stuff.

member for 7.6 years, 1528 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

VashTS

Please go back to BH.

So you just had it installed and already had a bad slitter, fixed that and still having issues? If its within the first 30 days you can get a tech back out there to find and fix the issue for free. IF not then please come back to BH. You can get 90Mb down and 10Mb up. A full 10Mb up. Cant beat that anywhere.

Re: Please go back to BH.

Never had Bright House before. It's been about 8 months since I had FiOS installed and they did not want to come out to fix the issues for free. Wanted to charge me for a service call. I did have Bright House installed today (FiOS currently set to be turned off on the 10th) but having issues with connection dropping out at :28 past every hour. Nothing's perfect

@verizon.net

Re: Please go back to BH.

There you go. In a few months when you get tired of BH crap you can go back to Verizon and get everything fixed for free. Just call within the first 30 days.
mikeluscher159

join:2011-09-04

Re: Please go back to BH.

I don't like this case of Verizon's piss poor Tech support either
....But why don't you just spend the $20~ for some good quality replacement splitters? I hate saying this, but IT IS a better internet service
Customer service on the other hand (rolls eyes) isn't Big Red's strong point these days

UR a cool guy.

They used good stuff when I had it. Ur in FL to so im going to assume they used the same where you are. Things can and do go bad, maybe it was a bad one? Depends on who you get in tech support. Get a actual Verizon rep and ur good, get a contractor and ur going to have the worse time of ur life. Best of luck to you buddy.

Re: UR a cool guy.

During the Bright House install, we found that the Verizon coax connection had to be redone. Found that the builder of the house ran an extra Cat 6 ethernet out there which my Verizon installer never used. If I ever go back to FiOS, I'll suggest they use that instead of the coax.

Re: UR a cool guy.

U mean the coax Verizon used that was already in the house? Cuz thats what everyone does, use whats already there. Maybe it was bad from the beginning? Techs use coax and Moca unless you the Cat6 there, now that you know its there they can use it if you ever switch back. ALSO reading from ur review of BH witch im happy every things working there just fine, please tell me you didnt have another modem connected at the same time. You know the rules when using Fios and its on Moca? If you were maybe that was the internet issue. But thats neither here nor there, you have BH now. Good Luck!

Re: UR a cool guy.

It was a brand new house, so Verizon terminated the cabling left for them by the builder. When they put the connector on the coax, they did not attach it cleanly and it eventually slid off causing the issues. It's been corrected, so that's good.

The main Cat6 was there for internet, but the tech left it alone. He did use another Cat6 run for the phone. Verizon actually sending someone out would have solved this since it was not easily accessible to me.

The MoCA network was setup by Verizon so it didn't (I assume) interfere with the router getting data from the ONT and the connection issues affected all the devices (ethernet, wifi, and moca) at the same time. This worked well and having ethernet via coax using MoCA is a great feature!

I have BHN for now and it's working well, but having learned this makes it easier to understand why the FiOS service deteriorated like it did for me. They keep contacting me to try and get me back. It's a service, I go with the more convenient option for me, hence why I don't do contracts. The FiOS reconnection offers are pretty good, love having this level of competition!

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

Re: UR a cool guy.

Are your internet issues, wired, wireless , or both?

Review by Frankg0 See Profile

• Location: Loudoun, VA
Good "Knowledgeable sales rep, great and fast installer, fast speeds,"
Bad "I need to get new computers or at least faster wireless NICs. Noticed some slow down at times but not bad."
Overall "Should have done this long ago, fast speeds and lower cost from what I was paying before."

·Verizon Online DSL
Verizon has been calling/emailing/mailing me almost non-stop since FiOS was available in my neighborhood. I just procrastinated. I had DSL and 2 phone lines.

So finally I decided to switch. First sales rep was OK but I was not ready to act when he called. I asked him to send me an email with all we discussed but he said he could not do that. (2 lines, 15/5 for $85)

I called and this rep was not as nice he wanted to charge me $80 activation when first guy said it was waived. (2 lines, 15/5 for $85 plus activation fee) So i decided to wait for them to call again.

2 days later got a very nice rep and we chatted about what I could get and without me asking she asked me to check my email and I had a quote from her with everything plainly laid out. 2 lines, 50/25 and no fees for install/activation for $85 total. So I said let's do it. This was on the 10th. Scheduled install on the 18th.

I moved some hardscaping out of the way for the fiber install. That was done on the 13th.

I cleared the area for the ONT and BBU and cleared the area for the router. There is a home run coax cable from the ONT location to this room so I pulled the wall plate so he could terminate the end after toning it out.

Installer showed up at about 11:30 on the 18th after calling saying he was coming in an hour. He surveyed the locations and got to work. He was done in about 2 hours. Installed the BBU inside next to an outlet. ONT (I-211M-K) outside in an enclosure. Toned out the coax and terminated both ends. He hooked up the router (MI424WR-GEN3I) and got the internet going. Then he went back out and hooked up both phone lines and tested each one. After he left I set my wireless back up and was connected to work in a matter of minutes.

The install was completely painless and fast. The only issue I had was with the sales reps but it was no big deal. Now I have faster internet and clearer telephone service at a much cheaper price than before (85 vs 148).

Now I just have to learn my new router details and tweak my home PCs a bit. I do need to buy a new home PC. This one is ancient...

4/1/14: Update - Dropped 2nd phone line so price is now down to 72 total with taxes.

member for 9.4 years, 2994 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by cuda74360 See Profile

• Location: Halethorpe,Baltimore,MD
Good "fastest internet I've ever had, TV looks great, phone is crystal clear"
Bad "STB interface leaves a lot to be desired, slow Netflix during Prime Time"
Overall "great service"

UPDATE 3/29/14

Still working well. Extra fees have raised my bill to $115.

»www.speedtest.net/result/3404235209.png

UPDATE 04/05/11

I bought a second TiVo to replace my STB and ordered a CableCARD for it. The install went great, and I was able to return my STB to a local Verizon store.

I now have no need to connect coax to the router, and internet browsing seems to be faster.

UPDATE 08/28/10

I initiated a support chat with Verizon complaining about my slow DNS, and they sent me a new router. The replacement is a Revision E and the DNS query times are much better than the Revision D it replaced.

UPDATE 08/24/10

My wife asked if we could switch back to our old DSL service. She said that the internet has been slow ever since we got FiOS.

Further troubleshooting determined that DNS queries, when sent to the router, take 300ms+ to resolve. Local addresses (like my network printer) take 15ms to resolve. A query directly to either of VZ's DNS servers takes 12ms on average to resolve for most sites.

Unfortunately, the Actiontec insists on setting itself as the primary DNS server. I have entered the DNS settings statically into our Mac's network settings for now. This bypasses the Actiontec's DNS proxy and solves the issue. But this solution doesn't work for my Roku... it can only use DHCP and has been running quite slow since FiOS was installed.

UPDATE 08/20/10

My service was installed today. I had already pre-installed RG-6 "home runs" to my 2 TV's and ran cat5e to where I wanted the router to go. I also had a board mounted and ready for mounting the ONT in my basement.

The tech agreed to mount the ONT in the basement and made quick work of running the aerial drop from the pole to my house. To reach the ONT, he simply enlarged the hole where my old phone service entered the house.

He didn't have installation software with him that would work on my Mac, so he had to use his laptop to activate my account, STB, and CableCARD. Once that was done, the internet came on immediately and the STB soon after. It took about 15 minutes to activate the CC, and the TiVo works great with FiOS!!!

The tech was here for about 3 hours, start to finish. I am very satisfied with every aspect of the install.

So far, I'm getting 20Mbps down and 5Mbps up.

»www.speedtest.net/result/922350175.png

FiOS TV looks great. With the TiVo, I can set one tuner to an OTA channel, and the other to the FIOS version. Then I can switch tuners and A/B them. I can't tell a difference between OTA and FiOS. Much better picture quality than DISH Network, by far.

I'm not a big fan of the FiOS set top box in our bedroom. It works fine, but the guide leaves a lot to be desired. I guess I'll have to get another TiVo for that TV eventually.

FiOS Digital Voice is very loud, but clear. I had to lower the volume on my phone to get it close to where it was with my old service.

----------------------------------------

I ordered the FIOS triple play over the weekend. It is a 2-year contract for $89/month. The $108 total monthly cost is their estimate after fees and taxes. I'll update it once I get my actual bill.

For phone: I chose FIOS Digital Voice.

For Internet: I chose the 15/5 package.

For TV: I chose the Prime HD package.

I have a TiVo hooked to an HDTV and an SDTV, so I need a Cable Card and a SD box. The website didn't have the option to select a CableCard, so I initiated a chat. The chat representative told me CableCards cannot be ordered online, but that I can call once I get my confirmation email and have it added to the order. He told me to select "No equipment" for that TV. Once I got my confirmation email I called the number provided, and talked to one of the most helpful customer service agents I've ever talked to. I told her that I was calling to add a CableCard to my order. Because I selected "No equipment", she was able to easily add the CableCard to my order. She acted surprised that the CableCard option wasn't offered online, and went over all of the specials/promotions that were available to make sure I knew about them. At the end of the call, she mentioned that my SD box was free for 1 year. When I told her that the website didn't mention that, she said "I know... I just fixed that for you."

member for 5.7 years, 219 visits, last login: a few hours ago