Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1922 reviews (1454 good) (139 bad)

Review by Laszlo See Profile

• Location: Morrisville,Bucks,PA
Good "Speedy and reliable internet"
Bad "Terrible experience with billing when we had TV"
Overall "Great at just internet, bad with TV bundles"

We signed up for FiOS back in September 2006 as soon as it became available in our area. Our original speed was 5/2 for $34.95/mo. We had no issues at all with our service when getting simple internet access.

Several years later we added TV to our plan and had no end of trouble. Verizon seemed incapable of properly billing us, making mistakes on our bill for 6 out of 7 months! It was a horrendous experience calling up customer service monthly to clear up issues. The CSRs would always assure us our complaints would be resolved (and that credit for their mistakes would be issued on our next statement), but when the next bill arrived, it almost always repeated the same billing overcharge _and_ did not refund us as promised. When things were finally resolved, we cut the cord on TV entirely (and never again had a billing issue).

TV was also expensive, at $37 for 15/5 internet, $48 for TV Essentials, $6/mo rental for each STB, and ~$5 tax and Video Franchise Fee (plus around $20/mo from their myriad billing screw-ups and overcharges). From July 2010 until December 2013, our pricing remained at $54.99/mo for 15/5 internet. From January 2014, they jacked the price up 15% to $62.99 with no bump in service. If anything, our streaming at YouTube and Netflix has been degraded lately (all other sites seem unaffected). No doubt Verizon is trying to extract protection money to access their customers, like Comcast managed to do recently.

In 2013 we had to ask for a replacement router because ours was dropping signal. A replacement (an Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. F) was mailed out without issue. However, we would still intermittently have issues with the signal not reaching to all bedrooms, or slowdowns that required a router restart. We eventually bought our own (an Asus RT-N66U) and those problems largely disappeared.

____________
Timeline of complaints I submitted to the FCC and BBB regarding the billing debacle:

Nov - Made a call on 11/30/2009 to cancel the Games + Starz Play Pak trial (before the promotion deadline).

Dec - Charged $16 for Games + Starz Play Pak (this amount was never refunded). Tried unsuccessfully to cancel HBO trial online but changes would not save, so called in to cancel both HBO and Starz on Dec 2.

Jan - Charged $3.66 for HBO trial we'd also cancelled in time, $16 again for Games despite their previous assurance it would be removed (refunded only $12.67 of it in Feb), AND $8.99 for a Security/Backup plan that we'd never signed up for or been in a trial period for.

Jan 24 - Called to cancel them, again.

Feb - HBO cancellation again not honored, with $22.59 in new charges. The "Internet Additional Services" from Jan refunded (erroneously called "Adj FiOS TV Equipment").

Feb 12 - CSR told us HBO would be credited on next bill and canceled.

Mar - Refunded $25.65 of HBO charges

Apr - Billed $37 TWICE for FiOS internet service, the second time as an "Internet Additional Service", even though we are enrolled in the Verizon Flex internet/TV bundle.

Apr 9 - Spoke with a CSR who acknowledged the error on April's bill and filed for a refund of $39.22 on May's bill. Asked to drop TV bundle back to just internet service. Told there would be a $179 early termination fee, but after consulting with a supervisor, said it would be waived. She said the fee would most likely not show up at all, but would review our bill to verify that or refund the fee if charged. At this point appears resolved after 2 hours 46 minutes spent on the phone with Verizon Customer service, and several hours more trying to decipher obfuscated & error-riddled bills.
____________

And, if you hadn't guessed, the $179 ETF _did_ show up on our next bill, though that was quickly resolved by calling back the senior supervisor.

To top it all off, when we had to return the set-top boxes, Verizon only sent us one return shipping box (we had 2 STBs). We gave the other one away on Craigslist rather than deal with Verizon customer service for one more minute. Needless to say, we have stayed far away from TV bundles ever since.

Comments:

Review by GeekNJ See Profile

• Location: Waldwick,Bergen,NJ
Good "Fast and low latency"
Bad "Install was less then stellar"
Overall "Updated 11/2007 - Still fast and reliable"

·Optimum Online
Placed my order online on 10/29/05. Got an email confirmation on Monday 10/31. Selected install date of 11/9. Sunday before install 2 folks came and ran the fiber from the pole to my house. Weds comes and the tech shows up on time. Needs to replace the overhead wire the prev techs ran over the weekend because they used underground wiring and not overhead wiring. Gets the ONT installed and cuts over my phones before heading to lunch. After lunch he finishes the install and I check my speeds - 4mb down - no where near the 15mb speed. Techs think it's my computer, which it isn't. We swap routers, cables, etc. 2nd tech shows up and we use his computer - 4mb down still. We reboot the ONT, PON and Controller (I'm the only one on it they say). No luck. Set me to 30/5 - my upload increases but download still the same. Techs leave for the day.

Over the next week, nothing much happens other then one tech swaps out the ONT and tests the speed and it's still poor. I'm on with the Fiber Solution Center in Virginia each day making sure they are working on it. Always start out with "Are you sure it's not your computer..." and I cut them off. I tell them where there's packet loss, etc but it doesn't register. I was getting about 8% packet loss to my first hop after the Verizon supplied router.

I finally get a good rep that understands and becomes my advocate, along with a Verizon employee from this site. It took a couple more days but he got the right people involved and listening to what I was telling them. Even though they had already swapped my ONT, they came out again and did it a 2nd time. Absolutely no difference - a waste of Verizon's time and resources. They finally started paying attention to my info and though I've been told there were 20 people on a conf call the final day, some were still questioning if it was a customer issue. Silly wabbits! After a week, they determined the likely cause within the CO and scheduled an overnight outage to resolve it. I woke up the next morning and speeds were pushing 15mb.

Since the issue was resolved, things seem fine. I don't really need email or web hosting as I pay for my own domain and hosting. Newsgroups aren't really important to me.

I didn't have any issues on Optimum Online where my connection was stable and speeds were fine, but I felt it was worthwhile to switch to become familiar with the technology (probably got more of a lesson then most) as well as do what I can to make sure each company feels pressure from customers to keep things as competitive as possible.

I'll update as time goes on or as service changes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 9/24/06 - Service has been relatively flawless. I've bumped up the connection reliability to a 5. Still on PPPoE though they supposedly are looking to convert to all DHCP. Had a phone issue last week where we had no service. Had to call two times and took a day but they resolved it on their end. Something to do with a switching error. I'm leaving texh support as a 4 rating due to multiple calls needed on our part to resolve a Verizon issue. Verizon's mail has had some issues but I don't use it and only know because of posts here which I then check to see if I'm also impacted.

Service was upgraded to 20/5 and all seems fine, usually getting that speed consistently throughout the day. I'm not impacted by routing issues like some others in the northeast with routing going through Texas for more local requests.

Update 11/12/2007 - Have had FIOS Internet service for 2 years now and ongoing service has been extremely solid. No outages that I recall.

Phone service (POTS) remains solid and reliable. Much more reliable then my copper was. It would go out whenever they did work on the pole outside my house.

TV service has also been solid though HD content is lagging behind Cablevision at this moment. Announcements from Verizon indicate 2008 should bring more HD.

Update 4/26/14 - Switched back to Optimum saving $90/mo for same services with CV.

member for 13.8 years, 6893 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by CapeFish See Profile

• Location: Wimauma,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Fast internet, good no contract triple play promotion, reliable so far"
Bad "Customer service still too complicated, TVEverywhere server, Nickel & dime you"
Overall "FiOS is a great product if you can get through the Verizon maze"

·Bright House
July 2013: I ordered FiOS 50/25 internet service online as part of a Triple Play that included TV and phone service. Install was the next day and went well...other than for some wiring labeling mix ups (brand new house) on the TV coax that caused signal issues. That was the fault of the home builder and not Verizon, though Verizon corrected them next day free-of-charge.

The tech installed an ONT on the side of my garage where the builder terminated the coax and two Cat-6 runs (one for internet and one for phone). A contractor did a nice job of trenching the fiber from the node in my side yard to the garage earlier in the morning. He used coax for the internet instead of the Cat-6, but this can be changed in the future as he prepared it for either a second phone line/alarm phone line or ethernet connection from ONT to router. My Actiontec gateway was installed and has worked flawlessly. The WiFi signal blankets my home and the ethernet drop to my office is great. Install took about 2 hours from arrival to departure.

One aspect of Verizon Florida's install is the installer leaves you their business card on a magnet for your fridge. I didn't realize you could call the installer directly for 30 days (or any repair after that) and they will try to make a house call to take care of it. Nice idea to not deal with Verizon's massive CSR phone maze.

I will note every Verizon employee I've spoken to on the phone told me where they were, with 90% being in Tampa and one I've spoken to in Texas. Thumbs up to having US-based support. The only ISP issue so far has been with Verizon's TVEverywhere server having an outage yesterday (no MAXGo, WatchESPN, or BTN2Go) and it was corrected after a few hours.

Speed tests have delivered low (below 50 ms) latencies and speeds above 50 download/25 upload. Verizon's Speed Test has latencies below 20 ms, downloads near 60, and uploads near 30 consistently. The other option, Bright House Networks, offered 90/10, 60/5, 30/2, and 10/1 internet packages. By comparison, FiOS offers me 15/5, 50/25. 75/35, 150/65, and 300/65 internet packages in my neighborhood. In the future, I plan to take advantage of FiOS built-in MOCA network to add ethernet connections to a PC in a bedroom without ethernet. Verizon has definitely made this a power user service!

Update 4/6/2014: Started having some issues with Verizon's router. Speeds were half of normal and latencies rose. Found a bad splitter, which has been eliminated. Seems like the problems have returned here a few days later. Think I may call Bright House...

Update 4/16/2014: Verizon asked for a last chance to fix the issues, they will be heading out tomorrow. We will see if we can get things back working right. Turns out the higher uploads were needed for work stuff.

member for 7.5 years, 1512 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

VashTS

Please go back to BH.

So you just had it installed and already had a bad slitter, fixed that and still having issues? If its within the first 30 days you can get a tech back out there to find and fix the issue for free. IF not then please come back to BH. You can get 90Mb down and 10Mb up. A full 10Mb up. Cant beat that anywhere.

Re: Please go back to BH.

Never had Bright House before. It's been about 8 months since I had FiOS installed and they did not want to come out to fix the issues for free. Wanted to charge me for a service call. I did have Bright House installed today (FiOS currently set to be turned off on the 10th) but having issues with connection dropping out at :28 past every hour. Nothing's perfect

@verizon.net

Re: Please go back to BH.

There you go. In a few months when you get tired of BH crap you can go back to Verizon and get everything fixed for free. Just call within the first 30 days.
mikeluscher159

join:2011-09-04

Re: Please go back to BH.

I don't like this case of Verizon's piss poor Tech support either
....But why don't you just spend the $20~ for some good quality replacement splitters? I hate saying this, but IT IS a better internet service
Customer service on the other hand (rolls eyes) isn't Big Red's strong point these days

UR a cool guy.

They used good stuff when I had it. Ur in FL to so im going to assume they used the same where you are. Things can and do go bad, maybe it was a bad one? Depends on who you get in tech support. Get a actual Verizon rep and ur good, get a contractor and ur going to have the worse time of ur life. Best of luck to you buddy.

Re: UR a cool guy.

During the Bright House install, we found that the Verizon coax connection had to be redone. Found that the builder of the house ran an extra Cat 6 ethernet out there which my Verizon installer never used. If I ever go back to FiOS, I'll suggest they use that instead of the coax.

Re: UR a cool guy.

U mean the coax Verizon used that was already in the house? Cuz thats what everyone does, use whats already there. Maybe it was bad from the beginning? Techs use coax and Moca unless you the Cat6 there, now that you know its there they can use it if you ever switch back. ALSO reading from ur review of BH witch im happy every things working there just fine, please tell me you didnt have another modem connected at the same time. You know the rules when using Fios and its on Moca? If you were maybe that was the internet issue. But thats neither here nor there, you have BH now. Good Luck!

Re: UR a cool guy.

It was a brand new house, so Verizon terminated the cabling left for them by the builder. When they put the connector on the coax, they did not attach it cleanly and it eventually slid off causing the issues. It's been corrected, so that's good.

The main Cat6 was there for internet, but the tech left it alone. He did use another Cat6 run for the phone. Verizon actually sending someone out would have solved this since it was not easily accessible to me.

The MoCA network was setup by Verizon so it didn't (I assume) interfere with the router getting data from the ONT and the connection issues affected all the devices (ethernet, wifi, and moca) at the same time. This worked well and having ethernet via coax using MoCA is a great feature!

I have BHN for now and it's working well, but having learned this makes it easier to understand why the FiOS service deteriorated like it did for me. They keep contacting me to try and get me back. It's a service, I go with the more convenient option for me, hence why I don't do contracts. The FiOS reconnection offers are pretty good, love having this level of competition!

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

Re: UR a cool guy.

Are your internet issues, wired, wireless , or both?

Review by Frankg0 See Profile

• Location: Loudoun, VA
Good "Knowledgeable sales rep, great and fast installer, fast speeds,"
Bad "I need to get new computers or at least faster wireless NICs. Noticed some slow down at times but not bad."
Overall "Should have done this long ago, fast speeds and lower cost from what I was paying before."

·Verizon Online DSL
Verizon has been calling/emailing/mailing me almost non-stop since FiOS was available in my neighborhood. I just procrastinated. I had DSL and 2 phone lines.

So finally I decided to switch. First sales rep was OK but I was not ready to act when he called. I asked him to send me an email with all we discussed but he said he could not do that. (2 lines, 15/5 for $85)

I called and this rep was not as nice he wanted to charge me $80 activation when first guy said it was waived. (2 lines, 15/5 for $85 plus activation fee) So i decided to wait for them to call again.

2 days later got a very nice rep and we chatted about what I could get and without me asking she asked me to check my email and I had a quote from her with everything plainly laid out. 2 lines, 50/25 and no fees for install/activation for $85 total. So I said let's do it. This was on the 10th. Scheduled install on the 18th.

I moved some hardscaping out of the way for the fiber install. That was done on the 13th.

I cleared the area for the ONT and BBU and cleared the area for the router. There is a home run coax cable from the ONT location to this room so I pulled the wall plate so he could terminate the end after toning it out.

Installer showed up at about 11:30 on the 18th after calling saying he was coming in an hour. He surveyed the locations and got to work. He was done in about 2 hours. Installed the BBU inside next to an outlet. ONT (I-211M-K) outside in an enclosure. Toned out the coax and terminated both ends. He hooked up the router (MI424WR-GEN3I) and got the internet going. Then he went back out and hooked up both phone lines and tested each one. After he left I set my wireless back up and was connected to work in a matter of minutes.

The install was completely painless and fast. The only issue I had was with the sales reps but it was no big deal. Now I have faster internet and clearer telephone service at a much cheaper price than before (85 vs 148).

Now I just have to learn my new router details and tweak my home PCs a bit. I do need to buy a new home PC. This one is ancient...

4/1/14: Update - Dropped 2nd phone line so price is now down to 72 total with taxes.

member for 9.3 years, 2981 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by cuda74360 See Profile

• Location: Halethorpe,Baltimore,MD
Good "fastest internet I've ever had, TV looks great, phone is crystal clear"
Bad "STB interface leaves a lot to be desired, slow Netflix during Prime Time"
Overall "great service"

UPDATE 3/29/14

Still working well. Extra fees have raised my bill to $115.

»www.speedtest.net/result/3404235209.png

UPDATE 04/05/11

I bought a second TiVo to replace my STB and ordered a CableCARD for it. The install went great, and I was able to return my STB to a local Verizon store.

I now have no need to connect coax to the router, and internet browsing seems to be faster.

UPDATE 08/28/10

I initiated a support chat with Verizon complaining about my slow DNS, and they sent me a new router. The replacement is a Revision E and the DNS query times are much better than the Revision D it replaced.

UPDATE 08/24/10

My wife asked if we could switch back to our old DSL service. She said that the internet has been slow ever since we got FiOS.

Further troubleshooting determined that DNS queries, when sent to the router, take 300ms+ to resolve. Local addresses (like my network printer) take 15ms to resolve. A query directly to either of VZ's DNS servers takes 12ms on average to resolve for most sites.

Unfortunately, the Actiontec insists on setting itself as the primary DNS server. I have entered the DNS settings statically into our Mac's network settings for now. This bypasses the Actiontec's DNS proxy and solves the issue. But this solution doesn't work for my Roku... it can only use DHCP and has been running quite slow since FiOS was installed.

UPDATE 08/20/10

My service was installed today. I had already pre-installed RG-6 "home runs" to my 2 TV's and ran cat5e to where I wanted the router to go. I also had a board mounted and ready for mounting the ONT in my basement.

The tech agreed to mount the ONT in the basement and made quick work of running the aerial drop from the pole to my house. To reach the ONT, he simply enlarged the hole where my old phone service entered the house.

He didn't have installation software with him that would work on my Mac, so he had to use his laptop to activate my account, STB, and CableCARD. Once that was done, the internet came on immediately and the STB soon after. It took about 15 minutes to activate the CC, and the TiVo works great with FiOS!!!

The tech was here for about 3 hours, start to finish. I am very satisfied with every aspect of the install.

So far, I'm getting 20Mbps down and 5Mbps up.

»www.speedtest.net/result/922350175.png

FiOS TV looks great. With the TiVo, I can set one tuner to an OTA channel, and the other to the FIOS version. Then I can switch tuners and A/B them. I can't tell a difference between OTA and FiOS. Much better picture quality than DISH Network, by far.

I'm not a big fan of the FiOS set top box in our bedroom. It works fine, but the guide leaves a lot to be desired. I guess I'll have to get another TiVo for that TV eventually.

FiOS Digital Voice is very loud, but clear. I had to lower the volume on my phone to get it close to where it was with my old service.

----------------------------------------

I ordered the FIOS triple play over the weekend. It is a 2-year contract for $89/month. The $108 total monthly cost is their estimate after fees and taxes. I'll update it once I get my actual bill.

For phone: I chose FIOS Digital Voice.

For Internet: I chose the 15/5 package.

For TV: I chose the Prime HD package.

I have a TiVo hooked to an HDTV and an SDTV, so I need a Cable Card and a SD box. The website didn't have the option to select a CableCard, so I initiated a chat. The chat representative told me CableCards cannot be ordered online, but that I can call once I get my confirmation email and have it added to the order. He told me to select "No equipment" for that TV. Once I got my confirmation email I called the number provided, and talked to one of the most helpful customer service agents I've ever talked to. I told her that I was calling to add a CableCard to my order. Because I selected "No equipment", she was able to easily add the CableCard to my order. She acted surprised that the CableCard option wasn't offered online, and went over all of the specials/promotions that were available to make sure I knew about them. At the end of the call, she mentioned that my SD box was free for 1 year. When I told her that the website didn't mention that, she said "I know... I just fixed that for you."

Comments:

Review by benjamin See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "First-rate reliability, excellent speeds and latency"
Bad "Not inexpensive, especially when unbundling or with basic TV packages; installation will take the full scheduled window"
Overall "The best available service in the city, worth the price"

·Vonage
·BroadVoice
I was the first person to get FiOS installed in my building and I haven't looked back since. Not only are the speeds as good as advertised, but the network has been extremely reliable since installation about 18 months ago. There isn't much to add, except that latency varies but is usually acceptable.

I should also note that my installation was done with standard coax (cat5 from ONT to main box, then coax to modem), which works fine even for the upgraded speed options (except for the very top ones). At the time I got service, this was the only option. Installation took a long time but, in my case, was done meticulously.

Highly recommended. If you want or need a premium TV package, you can get a great deal on bundled services, too.

Comments:

Review by guppy_fish See Profile

• Location: Lakeland,Polk,FL
Good "6 years and counting, no issues"
Bad "Don't have anything bad to say"
Overall "Good service, great internet , if you want cheap, go somewhere else and complain"

Update 03/17/2014

Nothing new, just works, flawless internet and TV performance and quality

Might drop the TV to locals only and ditch the DVR this year ...

Update 06/12/2013

Like the energizer, just keeps going. Best service available, period!

Isn't the cheapest, I also don't drive a Yugo, very good value for the cost.

Currently have 75/35 Quantum, best internet one can get.

Update 11/30/2011

Pretty boring, no issues, have the new image 1.9 and it works fine, when I renewed I went to Fios Digital Voice, it only saves 3.50 but one gets a tone of features most VOIP providers have.

Phone, TV, internet all work great ... what else could one expect from a provider? oh I know there is a forum full of never to be happy people that will knit pick things to death, for everyone else, Fios is a great service

Update 12/4/2009

Nothing New, Flawless still, very happy customer. Waiting for FDV ( Fios Digital Voice ) to roll out for Florida and Quad Play discounts that the Northeast gets, but this will just be icing on the cake.

Update 8/29/2009

Flawless performance since last update. Verizon has come thru on all promotions, The VISA card came right on time and billing is correct even though I upgraded to the 25/15 tier for a 10 dollar increase over the 20/5 tier. Everything is working great, no issues or concerns

Update 5/27/2009

Well I signed up for Video, It was really hard call to leave DTV and pay the penalty for breaking my 2 year contract, I read daily the Fios TV forum and if you go by what is posted there its a scary thought to make the move.

The tech showed up on time, he let me do everything how I wanted as I am on Ethernet, he gave me a new westel router and I configured it to be behind the dlink 655 I use for the primary router. Total install for Video change over ( one DVR ) was about 30 minutes.

Had and issue with VOD and premium channels, Verizon keep escalating internally and each time Verizon called me with the status, at the end of the day it was fixed and we are very happy with the service. The DVR disk is small but with the VOD its almost pointless to record stuff as most content is available using VOD.

Only wish is that the guide was HD width, hear that is coming latter this year. Overall, we are happy with the switch and discounts and signup bonus will cover the DTV ETF fees

Update 3/8/2009

Things have been smooth, I signed up for the double play, billing finally got the some of the credits promised and service has been solid. I watch the FIOS TV forum as see there is progress there but for now I'm staying with just phone/internet. I have increased my rating on connection reliability as the service has had no interruptions in almost 3 months.

I'm using a DIR655 for the router now, mostly for 1G lan networking, nice to be on Enet as I can switch routers as I choose.

Update 12/15/2008

Well, all the promised credits never appeared, worse the contacts at Tampa office have all be reorganized and the people that promised the credits are no longer in charge. I have tried for 3 weeks to get things resolved, I did manage to get a partial credit but it no longer makes sense to have 20/20 as except for large torrents, no place on the net , including online backup services do not support 20mb upload speeds

I have gone back to the 20/5 and phone bundle.

Also, last two days , service has gone out twice and down for 5-6 hours ( internet and phone ) and had to call 6 times to get things resolved ( 3 hours on cell phone ), the first level techs are pleasant, but literally can't do anything, including putting in trouble tickets or even getting a network tech involved without a managers approval.

The problems were all CO related as my neighbors were also out.

The 3 year wait for FIOS is now the reality a fast local internet to a slow national INTERNET, billing which has three different departments,which one of ALWAYS turn down credits over 50 bucks

When a customer of Brighthouse I always got billing resolved with one call, when they go DOCIS 3.0 I'll look into dumping FIOS, Verizon is totally out of control on the support and billing and now with two outages, I'll never get the TV service, as at least I still have TV with DTV when FIOS was down on Sunday

Update 11/15/2008

Service has been flawless. Thanks to Karl, I am on the 20/20 service now, I'm not in a bundle but due to the BBR and Karl, I'm getting credits so in effect I am getting a bundle discount.

Still using my own WRT54G and again the installation tech was great, my neighbor now has FIOS and did a similar install

One things I notice is the speed tests are useless for testing upload. I have no issue getting my rated speed using torrents and using Verizon speed test. but the fact is the Net is NOT wired for 20mbs upload from residential accounts.

Verizon has been easy to work with, again thanks to Karl, I have the local contacts and they have been fantastic in two minor billing issues ( getting charged for activation but came from DSL ) and the package change.

I'll keep milking the DTV thing until I won't get dinged canceling, currently I just call up to cancel and they keep giving me credits to stay and free movies, probably next year when the FIOS video issues are all address, I'll go triple or even quad play when Verizon finishes on buying Alltel, my current cell provider

Original Post:

Well today I got FIOS, 20/5 package and The Freedom Phone Package. I decided to wait on the triple play as I have monitored the BBR FIOS forums since day one and the Video issues still have problems ( mostly DVR issues ). I'm also under DTV contract and am happy with the service so I'll wait it out and then NOT have to give DTV 400 bucks to switch

The Tech was great!, On time, professional and installed exactly where I wanted it and we used my WRT54G as the router, never even took the Actiontech out the box. No issues, worked first try, my 3 year wait is over and couldn't be more pleased!

member for 10.6 years, 5140 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jackintosh11 See Profile

• Location: Philadelphia,Philadelphia,PA
Good "Reliable, fast, great price."
Bad "No data usage info, not available in all areas."
Overall "Get it if you can"

I ordered 75/35 internet, voice, and TV Extreme. The price is $180 a month with a HD box and a multiroom DVR, and includes a $250 gift card, and requires a 2 year contract. The order process was very simple over the phone. The installer arrived at around 9 AM of an 8 AM to 12 PM window. He left at about 2:30. It took about 3 hours to run the fiber cables and install the Optical Network Terminal. However, I live in a house where the lines loop around through a neighbor's backyard before coming to my backyard, so this process might be shorter depending on where you live. After the ONT was installed, the installer had to go to the neighborhoods fiber distribution hub to activate the line. When he got back, I went and set up the router while the installer prepared the cable boxes. The phone worked as soon as the line was activated. One of the TV boxes got messed up during a firmware update, and needed to be replaced. Fortunately, the installer had extras of every piece of equipment for this purpose. The TVs didn't take long to set up. The internet connection needed to be activated, and the activation was very quick. I highly recommend using your own wifi network if you have N wifi or better. If you use your own router, you may need to change it to use bridge mode or DHCP with addresses other than 192.168.x.x. The internet speeds are great, the quality of the TV is great, the voice line is nothing special, but the voicemail can be accessed online. The TV boxes are made by Cisco, the router is made by Actiontec, and the ONT is made by Alcatel-Lucent. I didn't order a backup battery but they gave me one for free. If you get internet speeds greater than 100 mbps, an ethernet line will most likely be used to connect your router to the ONT. Anything less, a coax connection will be used if it exists. If you have old or low quality coax lines, you might need to get those replaced.

Comments:
TL

join:2014-03-22
Broomall, PA

Too much!

Why would anyone pay that much money for that. You need to go to Comcast.

Review by somebodeez See Profile

• Location: here
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "100% Fiber Optic Connection, wonderful speeds, No monthly caps"
Bad "Keep an eye out on your billing"
Overall "Haven't looked back since switching from Comcast"

The very moment I was aware that the service was available in my area, I ditched Comcast and switched to Fios. That was 2006 and so far to this day (March 2014) I've been very happy

Comments:

Review by sonofsmog See Profile

• Location: Ontario,San Bernardino,CA
Good "Faster than advertised, and that's FAST."
Bad "Top tier sports channels require HD Ultimate package (i.e. TWC Sportsnet)"
Overall "Pricey, but not as much if you don't need HD sports (NFL, Redzone, ESPN, etc)"

I have had Verizon FIOS since before they even had a cable franchise agreement in my city, (Ontario, California.) since 2005. The service has always been the fastest and made me the envy of everyone who is unable to get it. The bottom line is until recently I wouldn't even consider moving anywhere without FIOS. It's just that fast. Now I could maybe live someplace with Google fiber, but that's about it. Once you go big you can never go back.