Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1940 reviews (1455 good) (145 bad)

Review by Jemand See Profile

• Location: Richmond,Henrico,VA
Good "Fast, 99.99% uptime, Price"
Bad "Support and billing issues"
Overall "Comcast can't touch the symetrical speeds"

I got a 2 year price lock for 69.99 (non contract) for Preferred HD and 50/50.

Comments:

garush

@71.127.212.x

switch from DSL to Fios

Given many many promises from Verizon. Still have slow youtube and everything else. No truth to Verizon claims and no follow up with comparative speed. - cause it is poor!

dodgetech2

join:2002-01-01
Gouldsboro, PA

symetrical is a joke

Your right, Comcast cant touch the symmetrical speeds....but at least with Comcast I could watch Netflix and You Tube......I have a 75/75 line and both of those services are useless on FIOS....Ill be back on Comcast as soon as my contact is up...you can count on that!

Review by AhnHEL See Profile

• Location: Bayside,Queens,NY
Good "Upload speeds and Ping latency is superior to Cable."
Bad "Pricing can always be better"
Overall "A step above cable."

On the GPON 75/75 plan and receiving 83/92 with over provisioning. Came from TWC Maxx, and very impressed with service thus far. Installation went smoothly and within the install time window. Symmetrical speeds are a vast improvement despite losing a very fast download speed when I was on TWC Maxx. Requested a Ethernet install from the ONT which was provided without hassle and allowed me to use my own Router and leave the FIOS router as secondary for my STBs.

Highly recommend over Cable.

Comments:

Review by tooch See Profile

• Location: Bradley Beach,Monmouth,NJ
Good "Faster speed than advertised."
Bad "Gets slightly pricier after one year"
Overall "A good deal, probably better than the cable company in your area."

Plan: It's a promotion; 35/35, Ultimate HD with Showtime for one year, ~$95/mo with taxes for year one, then I think ~$110/mo taxes for year two.

Internet: Speed is great! I had Cablevision for three weeks and canceled it because I was paying for Boost Plus (50/8) and getting an average of about 30-35/7.5. FiOS supposedly gives you a speed bump on the download side if you subscribe to TV, so my speeds are 42/33-35 depending on speed test.

TV: We don't really watch it but it's a better value to add it into your plan. Channels are good and the menus/channel changing are a lot faster than Cablevision.

February 2012

Downgraded to 25/25, internet only, since we weren't watching TV. $75/mo with taxes. Only problem we had was reps trying to re-sell us to TV because they couldn't believe that we really don't watch TV that much. Also, the 35/35 tier was surprisingly overkill for me. I rarely uploaded at a full 35Mbps and only downloaded from websites at 35Mbps a handful of times.

November 2013

Upgraded to 50/25 + local channels because with a two year contract it came out to $60/mo, or $15/mo cheaper than the 25/25 internet only for $75/mo. The 50/25, being that we have a video package, comes out to 58/38 which is a nice bonus.

The local channels were also a surprise, because I was expecting the basic national broadcast networks plus a couple local NJ stations, and we actually get 95 stations. Sure, most are crap/filler, and some aren't technically "stations" (10 or so channels of non-stop commercial loops for TV services?) but regardless, 95 is still a lot. I don't even need a receiver for them (despite the best efforts of uninformed sales reps saying otherwise); my TV has the QAM digital tuner required for receiver-less viewing.

Again from my previous reviews, I had two reps try to upsell me to a higher TV package when I called in with a question, a mere ten minutes after activating my new package.

17 August 2014

Just received the free upgrade to symmetrical speeds this afternoon. 50/50 becomes 58/61 with fluff. Now at 58/61 + local channels for the same price of $60/mo.

Comments:

Review by rexbinary See Profile

• Location: Plano,Collin,TX
Good "Fast, low latency, more bandwidth for a better price then any competitor"
Bad "None at all"
Overall "Better than any Cable or DSL connection hands down"

I've had FiOS installed since 8/1/05 and to date I have had no problems or issues with it at all. I have the 15MB down and 2MB up package.

The install took about seven hours as they had a little trouble going under the driveway with the fiber, other then that the install went smooth. They supplied a D-Link Router, but I am using an Apple AirPort Extreme router instead.

I am getting a little over the installed speeds both up and down. Gaming is very nice, on many first person shooter servers my ping is 3 or lower. I have been accused of being an admin on gaming severs because of my ping.

I am very happy with FiOS and I would recommend it to anyone that has access to it.

UPDATE 10/8/06:

After having FiOS for over one year now, I am still just as happy with the service. I have experienced no losses of service, other then one brief scheduled maintenance that was in the middle of the night during the week. I have lost power twice since FiOS was installed, and my telephone still functioned as advertised, no problem. FiOS is unmatched by any other service provider in my area.

The service uses PPPoE. Some people tend to consider this a negative, as in theory the PPPoE induces overhead to your connection causing it to be slower then say a DHCP connection. I am consistently getting my full 15MB/2MB speeds as advertised, and my latency is extremely low. Rumor has it that at some point my connection will be converted from PPPoE to DHCP, I will update my review then with any differences or lack of differences at that time if/when I am converted to DHCP.

UPDATE 8/29/07:

My service is still stellar. No outages or trouble to report, technical or billing. Still getting full speeds and low latency. No throttling or bandwidth shaping that I have detected. I am still on PPPoE, and the last I heard they decided not to convert original customers to DHCP as it was just unnecessary work and cost. I have no complaints about that at all, as it has caused me no grief of any kind. I simply cannot express how happy I am with my FiOS service.

UPDATE 4/15/08

I upgraded to the 15/15 service on 11/26/07 which costs me $59.99 a month. The service is still outstanding, and I would never purchase DSL or Cable again by choice. Still no outages to report since 8/1/05.

UPDATE 10/19/08

Everything is still working perfectly. Still running 15/15 package with my Apple AirPort router. No outages to report. To say I am pleased with the service would be an understatement.

UPDATE 8/10/09

I have upgraded to the 25/15 package. Everything is still working great and no outages to report. But on this upgrade, I having a hard time reaching my maximum bandwidth. I have called Verizon twice to verify I am provisioned correctly and I have also ran the FiOS Optimizer under their favorite operating system Windows. I am still investigating if it is an issue on my end, and I will report my results.

UPDATE 9/12/09

Lightning Strike! Sounded like a bomb went off in my backyard. Took out all the FiOS equipment plus my router, two switches, and the Ethernet port in two of my desktop PCs.

I called Verizon Friday night. They quickly concluded I would need service and scheduled a technician for Sunday morning. To my surprise the technician arrived about 7pm Saturday night. I was very pleased.

The technician said my FiOS equipment was five generations old and replaced all of it including the battery. It took him about an hour to complete the work. I replaced my old router with an Apple Time Capsule 1TB, and I replaced my old switches with Cisco 5-port 1GB switches.

I am now getting my full 25/15 speeds. I do not know what corrected the issue but it could be one of three things.

1) The ONT had never been reset since it was installed in 2005. Maybe if I had reset it, which I planned on trying, could have possibly corrected my speed issue.
2) My five generations old FiOS equipment was replaced with current equipment. Maybe my old FiOS equipment just couldn't handle those speeds.
3) My router was replaced with a much more current router. Maybe my old router couldn't handle those speeds.

It could be a combination of 2 and 3 as well. Either way, Verizon's service was outstanding. Not only am I back up and running quickly, but I am now getting my full speed.

UPDATE 3/30/10

Everything has been still working very well for the most part, but I have had three outages since all my equipment has been upgraded. That is more outages then I have had since I have had the service installed before the equipment upgrade.

All three required a call to Verizon to reset the ONT, and one call required the ONT and the dataport itself to be reset. All three times phone service was unaffected. I will ask them to investigate if I have any more issues with connectivity.

UPDATE 10/13/10

I've experienced a couple of disconnects since my last update that required recycling the ONT, but they have become rare now. I believe the newer equipment I received after the lighting strike is just not as good as my old equipment. Regardless, I am still very happy with the service. I am still getting consistent speeds and low latency.

UPDATE 5/11/11

Service is still superb. Still receiving my full speeds with no throttling or slow downs, and the same great low latency. I have still had one or two disconnects since my last update. I am convinced my current revision of ONT is just not as reliable as what I had the first few years of service. Still, I have not even considered looking at alternatives. Go FiOS Go!

UPDATE 11/17/11

Happy Thanksgiving! My FiOS is still running great. No disconnects or issues to report. Still great speedy service. No equipment changes to report. Sorry this update is so boring, but a boring update means great service in this case.

UPDATE 6/2/12

Summer time is almost here, but my FiOS is still delivering awesome speed without breaking a sweat. No outages, disconnects, or issues to report since my last update. I am still on the 25/15 tier and still getting full speed. Rumor has it new speed tiers will soon be available. I will post an update if I change tiers to let you know how it goes. As usual, I still highly recommend FiOS!

UPDATE 1/27/13

This is going to be a rather boring update, but in this case boring is good! No issues to report since my last update. No outages, no slowdowns, just great service! I have been lazy and have not yet called in to have my speed upgraded to one of the new tiers. I will make another update once I do that an let you all know how it goes!

UPDATE 7/12/13

I finally got around to upgrading my service. I went from 25Mbps/15Mbps to 75Mbps/35Mbps for $5 more a month than what I was already paying. Had I opted for 50Mbps/25Mbps it would have been the same price. I just couldn't pass up 75Mbps/35Mbps for only an extra $5 a month.

It took them a day or so to upgrade my speed. I ran Verizon's Broadband Speed Test which can be found here:

»my.verizon.com/services/speedtest/

My results: 83.79 Mbps Down and 38.39 Mbps Up

As you can see I'm getting a little 'fluff' in there with some extra speed.

No issues or outages to report at this time. I am still very happy with my service!

UPDATE 3/12/14

Another boring update.

No issues or outages to report. My FiOS just keeps chugging along.

I am looking at finally adding FiOS TV to my account. I am nervous about adding it as I have had such good luck with my service, but the show must go on! I will update with the details and the results of adding FiOS TV service once it occurs. I plan to have them retain my legacy 10Base-T install. We'll see how that goes...

UPDATE 5/1/14

FiOS TV is installed!

I placed my order online. The technician installed an Actiontec MI424WR (New Rev. I) via coax to my ONT, and re-used the existing coax wiring in the house to connect the set top boxes. I disabled the N-band wireless in the Actiontec, and connected my Apple AirPort Extreme N-band router in bridge mode.

Everything has been working fine except I noticed my DVR function was not enabled later after the install. After a lengthy phone call to Verizon, that was resolved. Apparently the set top boxes I have are so new that their support mentioned they are still learning how to deploy and administer them properly. I have no prior experience with FiOS TV to know the difference unfortunately. Internet speeds are exactly the same post TV install.

UPDATE 5/15/14

Mini-update here. I've since learned more about the equipment I received. The router is a New Rev. I Actiontec MI424WR (Dark Red Band), and I received the Quantum TV VMS and STBs.

UPDATE 6/7/14

I made a post in the Verizon Direct forum on this site and requested to be converted from PPPoE to DHCP. A short time later I noticed my router restarted, and guess what? No more PPPoE! And this was on a Saturday!! GREAT SERVICE THANK YOU VERIZON!

UPDATE 7/21/14

I just received my free upgrade to symmetric service for all FiOS residential customers. I went from 75/35 to 75/75 for free! Here are the test results from (»my.verizon.com/services/speedtest/) : 84.07 Mbps down and 86.65 Mbps up
Thank You once again Verizon!

member for 9.9 years, 4957 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

MJonas

@rr.com

5 to 7 megs

Your review is very helpful, When I called for Fios, inet only, the agent tried very hard to close me on the first call, but i wanted to research it more. He told me I can get five to seven megs for about $55 a month. But the guy said they have no other options to upgrade the speed. That is my only choice.

Seems fishy to me.
musk5

join:2005-09-22
Plano, TX

Not happy in Plano

Very unhappy today, both voice and data have been down 14 hrs+ so far ...have received two estimates for neiborhood issue to get resolved and both not met. (even received an automated voicemail 8 hrs ago indicating incorrectly issue had been resolved. What if I had to make a 911 call from fios data line?

Have received conflicting information from my 3 calls to customer support. Hope resolved soon
ExtremeRFR

join:2005-05-13
West New York, NJ

Question about your router

I have FiOS TV, Internet, & Phone and I also have my Time Capsule as my router instead of using the Verizon Router for wireless access. How can I disable N wireless so there's no interference with the wireless network from my Time Capsule?

I would appreciate your help. Thank you

Review by iwnt14me See Profile

• Location: Chesapeake,Chesapeake City,VA
Good "NOTHING BETTER IN THIS AREA"
Bad "None at this time"
Overall "Beats Cox's Communications Hands Down"

UPDATED 08/06/2014

FIOS working great tested media server and returned due to tivo preference. I now have a 150/150 package as part of triple play. I have 2 tivo roamio's pro, 2 sling boxes, 4 mini's, and one vulkano and have no streaming issues. in near future may test the 500/500 offering. the down time has been none so overall I am happy.

************************************************************************************************

Updated 02/26/2009

I have the 20/20 package and have added a sling box as well. I have had no service outages for any of the triple play services. I have personally converted most of my apartment complex to FIOS. I know that in my complex we are now working on our forth splitter and when ever i see a moving truck I have no problems sharing my bad Cox's experiences and what a great service FIOS is.

Updated 08/24/2008

Been almost three months and have only had one issue and that was a result of Tivo. Verizon pushed their new HD channels and realigned almost all of their channels in the process. So for one evening my 7 Tivos recorded some strange programs. I have upgraded to the 20 / 20. I have managed to convinced 21 people so far in my complex to drop Cox and go to this service. The picture quality is unreal. I also used the refer a friend option with my neighbors and have received the maximum of 12 each $50.00 gift checks that I can apply to my bill. That means at this rate my first 6 months are costing me about $24.00 a month which is a steal. On all of my speed tests i have exceeded the 20 / 20. If your are in the Newport News, Virginia area and can get Fios I say drop Cavalier, Cox, Directv. I have only had Cox's service and it was in most cases worse then Charter and Suddenlink. I have had no billing issues to date and when I have called in the people I have spoken to were nice and quite knowledgeable.

***********************************************************************************************Ordered the triple play on Thursday May 28 around lunch time. and was given an install date of May 29th time window of 8-12. I was like wow technician showed up at my door at 10 am called me about an hour before to let me know his arrival time. This is in a MDU and form the time the work started in the MDU to my activation was 4 weeks plus. He did an excellent job installing ONT and running the required wires in the MDU. I was very impressed. He set up all three of my HD Tivos with cable cards single stream since they apparently dont have dual stream cards yet here. That was only draw back I had to take 6 single stream cards. I will contact the business office to see if they dual stream and if any one knows please hit me up and tell me. Overall I wish I had this 18 months ago Cox's service here in the MDU was really bad and they did not care. I plan to go door to door and let me neighbors know and come in look at the HD. Took 15/15 data plan

10/21/2011 FIOS 35/35 No problems with service worked great through hurricane. I did have a router die this week and I jumped on an open network connection and worked with the online help group and was done in 10 minutes.

02/03/2013 update

Fios has been outstanding and they seem to have corrected their customer service issue / billing issues so it has only gotten better. I also know that they have started to overlay more area in the hampton roads area with fios

upgraded to quantum 150/65 process took less than 2 hours. test well above advertised speeds as always verizon fios superior for just $7.50 more a week.

Comments:

isp10002

join:2012-10-24

^.^

Id love to see some speed tests.

Review by mikev See Profile

• Location: Leesburg,Loudoun,VA
Good "Rock-solid internet connection, no TV issues"
Bad "Slow internet speeds offered in my MDU"
Overall "A great service that is worth every penny."

·Callcentric
I have nothing but good things to say about Verizon FiOS for nearly every aspect of their service. Internet service was always available, TV signals were good and reliable, and everything worked.

The only area I will complain about is the fact that they have old equipment in the MDU building I live in, and the maximum speed I could get from them is 30Mbps down. I only opted for 20Mbps because I was getting 25Mbps from it, but when I upgraded to 30, I only got 28Mbps. When your competitor is offering 50, or even 100, Mbps down, 20 or 30 seems like nothing. If they ever get around to upgrading their equipment so I can get faster speeds, I'll definitely consider switching back. But for now, the competitor has my business.

member for 12.6 years, 837 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by batsona See Profile

• Location: Ellicott City,Howard,MD
Good "4ms to VZ gateway is great!"
Bad "Price is creeping up...."
Overall "It's the most stable for the price, but price is eql to cable now."

·Vonage
I'm glad I'm with FiOS; this makes more sense than Comcast. Pages zip around faster than before, even tho I have 5MB downstream vs. 6MB with comcast; the difference is having 2MB upstream instead of 384K. It makes all the difference. It took 27 days between order, and use-of-service, becuase the gentleman said they were very backed up in the area with 2-3 installs per day. I ordered the 5000/2000 service.

Cable tech arrived 10 days before the inside guy; they had plenty of 'fun' trying to fish my line thru all the trees under the telephone poles; the guy had to call for help right before he drove from Howard county back to Anne Arrundl county to get a 500' legnth of Corning Fiber. I pulled the copper out of my basement & wire-tied it outside, then pulled the ~40' spare feet of fiber he left outside into the basement & wire-tied it so it looked nice 'n professional-like. I have a basement-located ONT.

The installer was very nice & got the job done quickly. He suffered a 30 min setback where there was no light on the fiber. He had to drive around the block & scamper up a pole to re-seat my connection at the tap, which did the trick. Another 30 min, and I was up and running. I have Vonage svc, and turned off my VZ pots lines, so there was no voice to deal with.

PS-- The increase in upstream speed, from 384K to 2MBit is what does the trick. I'd read lots of whitepapers about poor WAN performance when the 'return-path' for the packets is constrained. You can have all the bandwidth in the world downstream, but if you have a tiny upstream, you can set your TCPreceiveWindow to 10-million, and it won't do you any good. A good clear upstream makes 5MBit FiOS run faster than 6Mbit Comcast.

Good, stable, fast, and less expensive than the "incumbant".

_________________________________________

Update 8/15/2008: Still good service. No downtime that I can remember since installation! The original base price of $35/month is now at $44.99/month. Even if it were equal with cable-based service (CMCST), it's still be a better deal. Fiber-delivery beats RF hands down.

__________________________________________

Update 1/20/2010: Service still good. The price has come up to equal that of Cablemodem now. However, FiOS is the better service, so if price were equal, I'd still pull the trigger on FiOS.

_______________________________________

Update 3/20/2011: Service still good. Dropped the price by about $10 a month by negotiating a new bundle with 15/5 Internet. A month after that, I found I had 20/5 w/o doing anything. If you discount the fact that very popular sites slow down at nite (youtube, facebook), the service is still plenty speedy!

_____________________________________________

Update 2/6/2012: Service still good. Price is equal to similar bandwidth tier among most other providers, but the differentiator is still fiber optics. It's still a superior and resilient transport. Now on 15/5 plan, which has been padded to 20/5. I'm getting the 20/5 speed consistantly.

_________________________________________

Update 1/19/14: I recently upgraded to 50/25 service. I can max out at about 60/30 or so with the 'fluff'. Quality is good; everything works, email is good. too bad prices keep creeping up and up and up over the years.... Have not needed tech support for anything luckily. Took out the ActionTec device, in favor of a Juniper SRX100 firewall. This was not because of a problem related to actiontec, I'm learning Juniper for my employer, and was given a demo-unit!

________________________________________

Update 8/2/14 - 50/25 still going strong.. 60downstream and 40upstream inclusive of fluff. Never needed tech support in the last so-many months.

member for 10.6 years, 1826 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by gower2352 See Profile

• Location: Laurel,Prince Georges,MD
Good "SuperFast, Easy to Make Changes, Billing Seems Good Thus Far"
Bad "Nothing at moment "
Overall "Sign up online if your home is already wired and you'll get a great deal!"

Order the ultimate package. Ordered online and got some really great credits for the 24 months period. Also ordered all the movies channels I could have. Install was super easy since my apartment was already pre-wired. Got the new Quantum TV service.

Comments:

Review by rasmusjc See Profile

• Location: Southlake,Tarrant,TX

I have the Verizon FIOS Triple Play Bundle with Quantum 75/35 speeds. Not much to tell other than service has been great.

Comments:

Review by xaebz56K See Profile

• Location: Englewood,Sarasota,FL
Good "Excellent speeds and very reliable."
Bad "None."
Overall "Best ISP I have ever had."

The router supplied is their latest and best, an ActionTec Router. All equipment is new, I have the bundle which includes TV, they also supplied their best HDTV cable box, a new one.

I've had absolutely no problems at all with Verizon. I also added on 2 more TVs with just their very basic cable box, just tunes all Verizon TV channels, no menu. These work exceptionally well too. When setting them up I had problems with them being recognized, the Verizon rep. was exceptionally friendly and helpful.

The price of $80 is for Internet and Prime TV, and does not include the 3 TV boxes. I was surprised every single thing they supplied was brand new and the best they offer. I've also been surprised at how helpful and friendly their reps. have been.

The service is extremely reliable.