Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1949 reviews (1462 good) (147 bad)

Review by drake See Profile

• Location: Baldwin,Nassau,NY
Good "Customer service and always on-and-ready connection."
Bad "None as of yet."
Overall "Great promotions when you order triple play service; can't beat the price for fiber."

Called Verizon on Feb. 20th for FiOS information and availability, which the sales rep. was extremely helpful with. The guy found all these on-going promotions for us which saved us $60 off the Triple Play Extreme package deal and totaled to $83.80 / month. Sweet.

Installation day, 8am - 12pm appointment: tech showed up at 10am; ran a few wires, checked the floor's router a few times then went to work. The ONT and battery devices were already at the apt. before move-in date so it was a bit less hassle for the tech.

We were supplied with an ActionTech MI424-WR WiFi modem/router and streaming 25/25mbit service.

The only service interruption after installation (but before the tech left) was the TV service: the head-end was not recognizing new accounts so it took about an hour additional of making a phone to his colleagues about the issue until it was finally resolved.

I must say, aside from the interruption, everything went quite smoothly.
It's better than going with the option of Cablevision's Optimum Online service which isn't bad, but for pricing, Verizon should carry CV's head as an trophy.

Comments:

Review by PJL See Profile

• Location: Long Beach,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Consistent speed -- always slightly above advertised"
Bad "none"
Overall "great service."

The best ISP service I've ever had. Speed are consistently higher than advertised on multiple speed test sites. The TV has the best picture quality of any I've seen. The only regret is that upgrades and channel adds take forever, but when they happen they happen everywhere. Update to symmetrical up/down speeds was nice to get with no increase in bill.

member for 6.5 years, 2648 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by guppy_fish See Profile

• Location: Lakeland,Polk,FL
Good "7 years and counting, no issues"
Bad "Don't have anything bad to say"
Overall "Good service, great internet , if you want cheap, go somewhere else and complain"

Update 10/20/2012

No issues, No STB's now, only use QAM for local TV

Update 03/17/2014

Nothing new, just works, flawless internet and TV performance and quality

Might drop the TV to locals only and ditch the DVR this year ...

Update 06/12/2013

Like the energizer, just keeps going. Best service available, period!

Isn't the cheapest, I also don't drive a Yugo, very good value for the cost.

Currently have 75/35 Quantum, best internet one can get.

Update 11/30/2011

Pretty boring, no issues, have the new image 1.9 and it works fine, when I renewed I went to Fios Digital Voice, it only saves 3.50 but one gets a tone of features most VOIP providers have.

Phone, TV, internet all work great ... what else could one expect from a provider? oh I know there is a forum full of never to be happy people that will knit pick things to death, for everyone else, Fios is a great service

Update 12/4/2009

Nothing New, Flawless still, very happy customer. Waiting for FDV ( Fios Digital Voice ) to roll out for Florida and Quad Play discounts that the Northeast gets, but this will just be icing on the cake.

Update 8/29/2009

Flawless performance since last update. Verizon has come thru on all promotions, The VISA card came right on time and billing is correct even though I upgraded to the 25/15 tier for a 10 dollar increase over the 20/5 tier. Everything is working great, no issues or concerns

Update 5/27/2009

Well I signed up for Video, It was really hard call to leave DTV and pay the penalty for breaking my 2 year contract, I read daily the Fios TV forum and if you go by what is posted there its a scary thought to make the move.

The tech showed up on time, he let me do everything how I wanted as I am on Ethernet, he gave me a new westel router and I configured it to be behind the dlink 655 I use for the primary router. Total install for Video change over ( one DVR ) was about 30 minutes.

Had and issue with VOD and premium channels, Verizon keep escalating internally and each time Verizon called me with the status, at the end of the day it was fixed and we are very happy with the service. The DVR disk is small but with the VOD its almost pointless to record stuff as most content is available using VOD.

Only wish is that the guide was HD width, hear that is coming latter this year. Overall, we are happy with the switch and discounts and signup bonus will cover the DTV ETF fees

Update 3/8/2009

Things have been smooth, I signed up for the double play, billing finally got the some of the credits promised and service has been solid. I watch the FIOS TV forum as see there is progress there but for now I'm staying with just phone/internet. I have increased my rating on connection reliability as the service has had no interruptions in almost 3 months.

I'm using a DIR655 for the router now, mostly for 1G lan networking, nice to be on Enet as I can switch routers as I choose.

Update 12/15/2008

Well, all the promised credits never appeared, worse the contacts at Tampa office have all be reorganized and the people that promised the credits are no longer in charge. I have tried for 3 weeks to get things resolved, I did manage to get a partial credit but it no longer makes sense to have 20/20 as except for large torrents, no place on the net , including online backup services do not support 20mb upload speeds

I have gone back to the 20/5 and phone bundle.

Also, last two days , service has gone out twice and down for 5-6 hours ( internet and phone ) and had to call 6 times to get things resolved ( 3 hours on cell phone ), the first level techs are pleasant, but literally can't do anything, including putting in trouble tickets or even getting a network tech involved without a managers approval.

The problems were all CO related as my neighbors were also out.

The 3 year wait for FIOS is now the reality a fast local internet to a slow national INTERNET, billing which has three different departments,which one of ALWAYS turn down credits over 50 bucks

When a customer of Brighthouse I always got billing resolved with one call, when they go DOCIS 3.0 I'll look into dumping FIOS, Verizon is totally out of control on the support and billing and now with two outages, I'll never get the TV service, as at least I still have TV with DTV when FIOS was down on Sunday

Update 11/15/2008

Service has been flawless. Thanks to Karl, I am on the 20/20 service now, I'm not in a bundle but due to the BBR and Karl, I'm getting credits so in effect I am getting a bundle discount.

Still using my own WRT54G and again the installation tech was great, my neighbor now has FIOS and did a similar install

One things I notice is the speed tests are useless for testing upload. I have no issue getting my rated speed using torrents and using Verizon speed test. but the fact is the Net is NOT wired for 20mbs upload from residential accounts.

Verizon has been easy to work with, again thanks to Karl, I have the local contacts and they have been fantastic in two minor billing issues ( getting charged for activation but came from DSL ) and the package change.

I'll keep milking the DTV thing until I won't get dinged canceling, currently I just call up to cancel and they keep giving me credits to stay and free movies, probably next year when the FIOS video issues are all address, I'll go triple or even quad play when Verizon finishes on buying Alltel, my current cell provider

Original Post:

Well today I got FIOS, 20/5 package and The Freedom Phone Package. I decided to wait on the triple play as I have monitored the BBR FIOS forums since day one and the Video issues still have problems ( mostly DVR issues ). I'm also under DTV contract and am happy with the service so I'll wait it out and then NOT have to give DTV 400 bucks to switch

The Tech was great!, On time, professional and installed exactly where I wanted it and we used my WRT54G as the router, never even took the Actiontech out the box. No issues, worked first try, my 3 year wait is over and couldn't be more pleased!

member for 11.1 years, 5433 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Frankg0 See Profile

• Location: Loudoun, VA
Good "Knowledgeable sales rep, great and fast installer, fast speeds,"
Bad "I need to get new computers or at least faster wireless NICs. Noticed some slow down at times but not bad."
Overall "Should have done this long ago, fast speeds and lower cost from what I was paying before."

·Verizon Online DSL
Verizon has been calling/emailing/mailing me almost non-stop since FiOS was available in my neighborhood. I just procrastinated. I had DSL and 2 phone lines.

So finally I decided to switch. First sales rep was OK but I was not ready to act when he called. I asked him to send me an email with all we discussed but he said he could not do that. (2 lines, 15/5 for $85)

I called and this rep was not as nice he wanted to charge me $80 activation when first guy said it was waived. (2 lines, 15/5 for $85 plus activation fee) So i decided to wait for them to call again.

2 days later got a very nice rep and we chatted about what I could get and without me asking she asked me to check my email and I had a quote from her with everything plainly laid out. 2 lines, 50/25 and no fees for install/activation for $85 total. So I said let's do it. This was on the 10th. Scheduled install on the 18th.

I moved some hardscaping out of the way for the fiber install. That was done on the 13th.

I cleared the area for the ONT and BBU and cleared the area for the router. There is a home run coax cable from the ONT location to this room so I pulled the wall plate so he could terminate the end after toning it out.

Installer showed up at about 11:30 on the 18th after calling saying he was coming in an hour. He surveyed the locations and got to work. He was done in about 2 hours. Installed the BBU inside next to an outlet. ONT (I-211M-K) outside in an enclosure. Toned out the coax and terminated both ends. He hooked up the router (MI424WR-GEN3I) and got the internet going. Then he went back out and hooked up both phone lines and tested each one. After he left I set my wireless back up and was connected to work in a matter of minutes.

The install was completely painless and fast. The only issue I had was with the sales reps but it was no big deal. Now I have faster internet and clearer telephone service at a much cheaper price than before (85 vs 148).

Now I just have to learn my new router details and tweak my home PCs a bit. I do need to buy a new home PC. This one is ancient...

4/1/14: Update - Dropped 2nd phone line so price is now down to 72 total with taxes.
10/2014: Update - Now getting 50/50 speeds.

Comments:

Review by sludgemaster See Profile

• Location: Bronx,Bronx,NY
Good "Substantially cheaper than the alternative -- cablevision"
Bad "Horrible customer service, internet speed no where near what is claimed"
Overall "If you need to save $75 - $100 a month go with Verizon, otherwise Cablevision"

·Optimum Online
I pay for 75/75. Every day between 5 p.m. and 10 p.m. the speed slows to 10. Cannot stream Pandora or use VPN. I have a SamKnows white box, so my connection speeds are being recorded automatically from the router -- no operator error or mis-configured computers involved. FIOS is supposed to be a dedicated fiber line. Obviously, local congestion is making the connection useless during peak periods. They make it very difficult to contact tech support. When you finally do, the excuses range from "its a problem with your computer" (not - there is no computer involved in my speed tests), to "our system shows that you have 50/25" (the SamKnows box reports 75/75 and they are billing me for 75/75), to "we don't support any router other than Verizon's" (this has nothing to do with the router). Its 4:30 pm. Speed is already down to 35. By 6:00 it will be down to 10. Verizon doesn't see any problem.

member for 9.1 years, 187 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
serge87

join:2009-11-29

Truth

I am familiar with your pain and I only wish I had to option of going to CableVision...I would do it in a heartbeat.

sludgemaster
join:2005-12-06
Bronx, NY

1 recommendation

Re: Truth

Thanks for validating my experience. I guess its back to Cablevision.

Review by somebodeez See Profile

• Location: here
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "100% Fiber Optic Connection, wonderful speeds, No monthly caps"
Bad "Keep an eye out on your billing"
Overall "Haven't looked back since switching from Comcast"

The very moment I was aware that the service was available in my area, I ditched Comcast and switched to Fios. That was 2006 and so far to this day (September 2014) I've been very happy

member for 13.3 years, 6052 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by RJW1678 See Profile

• Location: Wilmington,New Castle,DE
Good "Ordered a double play with Digital Voice Unlimited and FIOS Quantum Internet 50/25."
Bad "Found out that the copper telephone wiring in the house was a real mess."
Overall "Everything is working. It is very fast."

Ordered 50/25 and it is running at 58/37 so I am getting everything that I am paying for. The tech said my old phone wiring in the house is shorted somewhere. I have one phone jack now working correctly - so I have switched to cordless phones. The install went real good,took about 2.5 hours - 57/37 is real fast. The ONT is a Motorola 1000GT4 - Router is an Actiontec MI424WR Rev I - Motorola BBU with 12V 8AH Battery.

Comments:

Review by buckingham See Profile

• Location: Buckingham,Bucks,PA
Good "Outstanding performance for both Internet and TV. Phone is the same as it's always been. Reliable."
Bad "Limited Free VOD without subscribing to movie package"
Overall "Outstanding"

installation in late August 2010 was outstanding and on time. No billing errors to-date. 35/35 Internet performance is as expected. Phone is reliable as expected. TV service is outstanding for PQ and the latest firmware release adds a lot of good stuff to the boxes. My only disappointment is the limited free VOD available without subscribing to a movie package, especially with the top level *Ultimate" service package.

UPDATE: Upgraded to 75/35 when the contract renewed and still very pleased. Effectively getting 83/38. TV remains excellent in quality.

UPDATE 9/2014: Upgraded to 75.75 automagically and effectively get 83/92. I occasionally have some routing/network issues, likely caused by peering "out there". TV remains excellent quality; in fact, it seems crisper since moving to the VMS/IPC. Quantum boxes. Current package is Preferred TV - 75/75 Internet - FiOS Digital Voice

member for 9.5 years, 3454 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by chakey See Profile

• Location: Gladstone,Somerset,NJ
Good "Fast and reliable internet, phone, wireless and TV!"
Bad "Billing is hilariously bad"
Overall "If you are willing to spend hours fixing billing, you'll have a top notch service!"

This review is reverse-chronological. Go to the bottom for install and the top for the latest.

9/17/14 - We dropped TV in 2012 and have been only internet and phone since then. We miss cable only when there are live events, but a friend is letting us use their user and password to stream TV online (sports, New Years, etc). Works out well. We were getting a very good rate for internet and phone alone (about $60/mo) for a two year contract, set to expire this December. Speeds are now a symmetrical 75/75. In July, I received a notification that we were receiving an "ineligible bundle" and they jacked up our prices to $120/mo. I called in and escalated until I found someone willing to take $60 off our bill/mo until our original contract expires. Another example of how their product is top notch, but the billing is hilariously bad. We will shop around in December, because I don't feel like paying double for the same service.

1/12/11 - After experiencing some issues with one of our DVR boxes, they came out and gave us a new one without much issue. Since we watch most of our content on Netflix now, I called to see how much my triple play would be reduced if I dropped TV all together. The rep said we would save $34 a month. I said that was great and to go ahead and cancel the TV. He told me to hold for a minute and came back with an offer to reduce our bill by $30/mo for a year as a "Customer Appreciation Credit". I could not argue with that! Internet and phone remain rock solid.

3/31/10 - Nothing much to report! The service and billing have been completely stable since the last update. What a pleasure to not have to spend an hour on the phone each month fixing something with billing! Internet is stable at 26/22. I ordered an HD movie on demand the other night, and although horribly overpriced (IMO) at $5.99++, it streamed through with no hiccups or problems. Hopefully it will not incur some phantom charge on my bill...

7/2/09 - Upgraded Internet Speed

More as a result of the Docsis3.0 invasion into Fios territory than a few of us wailing about being "limited" to 20/5, Verizon now has new, higher internet speed tiers. For $10 more/month (from 99.99 to 109.99) I now have 25/15 and Showtime and a couple of other movie channels. I've done a speed test several times since upgrading and it is consistently coming in at 26/22, much more than the advertised 25/15. I absolutely LOVE the new upload speed, it has revolutionized several aspects of my daily life on the computer!

I have not received the bill yet, so fingers are crossed....

5/9/09 - Unable to upgrade my internet service

When I first signed up for the service, nearly 2 years ago now, I signed up for the 20/5 internet service with TV. When I added phone to my plan in October of 2007, I upgraded my internet to the 20/20 service and still had it as part of my triple play. It cost about $10/month more to have 20/20 vs 20/5. When I rebundled to a new Triple Play package in 2008, the 20/20 went back to 20/5. It is completely impossible to have a triple play of 20/20, Phone and TV. In order to get 20/20 at this point, I would have to cancel my triple play, incur an early termination fee for each service of $179, bundle JUST the phone and TV and pay for 20/20 a la carte. Instead of being a $10/mo upgrade, it would DOUBLE my bill. I have escalated this issue all the way to the office of the president of Verizon, and no one will allow me to bundle 20/20. It was apparently decided by "Marketing" sometime in 2008, that 20/20 does not need to be a bundled service. I just can't believe that I am WILLING to give a company more $$ per month for something (within reason) and they will not take it.

On the positive side, billing has been great--only once in the past year was there an errant charge. I called it in and it was fixed for the next bill. The services continue to be 100% rock solid. I have BBR monitoring my IP and my internet has never once been down.

4/11/08 - Well, it was nice while it lasted

I had a wonderful 2 whole months where my bill was correct. I got a bill this month that was all messed up. For some reason, unknown to anyone, I got bumped off the two year contract and into a month to month contract, which negates all bundle discounts. My bill was over by $100 this month. I suppose 2 months out of 8 with a correct bill is a 25% success rate--better than 0%. I was beginning to enjoy the extra 2 hours each month I got back when I did not have to call Verizon. Oh well. Back to the drawing board. I lowered Tech Support to a 3, because billing is not an option. I have never had to call Tech Support because all my services are rock solid. It's just the billing that so incredibly bad, it is becoming comical.

2/16/08 - HOLY CRAP, I HAVE A CORRECT BILL

Although I did not in a million years expect it, I just received a bill which combines all my services (voice, internet, cell and TV) into one lovely price. They got it right, folks. It took since August of 2007, but they got it right. I do not need to block off an hour or two to call customer service this week. I can change my avatar tagline from "Awaiting Correct Vzn bill since Aug 07" to "VZN GOT MY BILL RIGHT!"

WOOOO!

Can you believe I'm really happy about getting a bill for over $200? I can't believe it either. It feels as if I just gave birth. Oh, the euphoria....

1/18/08 - BILLING/GUIDE 2.0 UPDATE:

I finally received a bill which combines all my Verizon services (Phone, Internet, TV, Wireless) into one bill. However, because of the "non-payment" fracas last month, there was a $199 "early termination" charge as well as a $29.97 "activation" fee when they turned the internet back on. Other than almost passing out when I opened a bill for $605, and the extra charges, things seem to be in order finally. I called the billing department, was put on hold for 25 minutes and disconnected. I called back and the second CSR took care of everything. I was able to go online and create an account. I paid my bill with no issues

The FiOS TV 2.0 Guide arrived yesterday. I honestly think that it is a bit faster than 1.0 and certainly more pleasant to look at. The main hang is when you call up the Guide the first time. That takes about 4 seconds and gets you to press the button three times wondering why it is not reacting. Once the guide is up, it is faster. I still long for the day we get "page up/down" buttons on the remote. All my DVR recordings were intact and organized in a better way.

1/8/08 - BILLING UPDATE:

Well, all the stories about Verizon's billing department(s) are true. It has been 6 months since install and I have yet to receive one correct bill. In fact, I have not been able to pay my bill for the past two months because they are billing my services to the wrong phone number. After several phone calls and hours on hold bouncing around to 15 different departments, nothing was resolved. My issue was "escalated". My internet service was turned off for a day and after another round of phone calls, was restored. I still have not received a bill and I cannot see or pay anything on my online bill. I suppose someday they'll figure it out. I am just growing weary of calling them about the same problem and having no resolution. Every time they try to fix something with the bill they are unable to help because another department deals with this. They play "pass the customer" and I sit in awe that this great company cannot do anything on the back end without a running into itself.

Still, it's a great service--internet has never been down (except that one day for "non-payment") and the TV is great. We added a landline a while back to take advantage of the bundle discount. I think that's what started this mess. Their system can handle someone adding services to an existing landline, but not the other way around.

Bottom line--the service and price are still worth the billing aggravation. Just realize it will take you a while to straighten out the bill. The CSR's are accommodating, you just have to be persistent.

11/2/07 UPDATE:

I upgraded to the 20/20 internet service and added a landline yesterday. Everything is still BLAZING fast and rock steady. The HDTV channel line-up could use some work, but they promise to have 150 stations by the end of '08. Let's see if they do it!

Background and price:

We were lucky enough to move into an area that has FiOS internet and TV service available. We signed up for the 20/5 internet and Fios TV Premier level with a DVR box and a regular set top box. The total cost per month is supposed to be $97. There is a one time $19.99 activation fee. There are no taxes on the plan since it is considered "data services." Their phone service is only $7/mo, but when you add all the taxes that come with a landline, you end up closer to $30. We hooked up our Sunrocket Voip to the Verizon router and all is well and it works well. (Since Sunrocket is down, we've switched to ViaTalk which works just as well).

Presale info:

As soon as I heard that we could get Fios in our new residence, I called Verizon. Their pre-sale info was right on with what the website said. The rep was very helpful and took time to explain everything. I scheduled the install for 6/25/07.

Install:

Verizon called twice before the install to confirm that we would be present and have a power outlet near the ONT. The installer came at 10:15 during an 8-11 window. He brought the fiber line in from the street first. Then, he very professionally installed the ONT and UPS in the basement and wired the rest of the house for TV and internet. The Verizon wireless router provided is excellent and covers the whole house with an encrypted signal. It took him 6 hours.

Impressions (so far):

The download and upload on the internet tests at 20.6/4.6. The connection is lightning with no wobbles in service so far. The TV service is excellent. Crystal clear picture with a fantastic DVR menu.

Bottom Line:

Get it if you can! If you can't--call and bug them!!!

Comments:

Review by amarryat See Profile

• Location: Marshfield,Plymouth,MA
Good "Internet reliability & stability, HD TV"
Bad "Expensive, and still climbing"
Overall "awesome"

35/35 internet totally consistent.

4 years with one outage for several hours. Reliability is fantastic.

Steadily getting more expensive. Was $180/month, now I'm paying $210/month

Update 9/2014 - even more money, but this is what I got:
1). Higher speed - 50/50
2). Quantum - one central DVR with more capacity than the combined two DVRs from before, and client boxes that are smaller than the original set top boxes.
3). At some point along the way, they updated my router for free to the "N" wifi version. However it's still nowhere near as nice as 3rd party routers you can buy on your own such as the ASUS and Netgear flagships. Therefore I'm still using my own router to do wifi at home.
4). My ONT in the basement had to be replaced because it got fried somehow. What is strange is that they moved the battery from the fried ONT into the new ONT, and this is the original battery from 2008??? I thought they only lasted a few years.

So I'm happy with the upgrades.

member for 9.7 years, 3008 visits, last login: a few hours ago