Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1932 reviews (1456 good) (142 bad)

Review by mikev See Profile

• Location: Leesburg,Loudoun,VA
Good "Rock-solid internet connection, no TV issues"
Bad "Slow internet speeds offered in my MDU"
Overall "A great service that is worth every penny."

·Callcentric
I have nothing but good things to say about Verizon FiOS for nearly every aspect of their service. Internet service was always available, TV signals were good and reliable, and everything worked.

The only area I will complain about is the fact that they have old equipment in the MDU building I live in, and the maximum speed I could get from them is 30Mbps down. I only opted for 20Mbps because I was getting 25Mbps from it, but when I upgraded to 30, I only got 28Mbps. When your competitor is offering 50, or even 100, Mbps down, 20 or 30 seems like nothing. If they ever get around to upgrading their equipment so I can get faster speeds, I'll definitely consider switching back. But for now, the competitor has my business.

member for 12.5 years, 762 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by batsona See Profile

• Location: Ellicott City,Howard,MD
Good "4ms to VZ gateway is great!"
Bad "Price is creeping up...."
Overall "It's the most stable for the price, but price is eql to cable now."

·Vonage
I'm glad I'm with FiOS; this makes more sense than Comcast. Pages zip around faster than before, even tho I have 5MB downstream vs. 6MB with comcast; the difference is having 2MB upstream instead of 384K. It makes all the difference. It took 27 days between order, and use-of-service, becuase the gentleman said they were very backed up in the area with 2-3 installs per day. I ordered the 5000/2000 service.

Cable tech arrived 10 days before the inside guy; they had plenty of 'fun' trying to fish my line thru all the trees under the telephone poles; the guy had to call for help right before he drove from Howard county back to Anne Arrundl county to get a 500' legnth of Corning Fiber. I pulled the copper out of my basement & wire-tied it outside, then pulled the ~40' spare feet of fiber he left outside into the basement & wire-tied it so it looked nice 'n professional-like. I have a basement-located ONT.

The installer was very nice & got the job done quickly. He suffered a 30 min setback where there was no light on the fiber. He had to drive around the block & scamper up a pole to re-seat my connection at the tap, which did the trick. Another 30 min, and I was up and running. I have Vonage svc, and turned off my VZ pots lines, so there was no voice to deal with.

PS-- The increase in upstream speed, from 384K to 2MBit is what does the trick. I'd read lots of whitepapers about poor WAN performance when the 'return-path' for the packets is constrained. You can have all the bandwidth in the world downstream, but if you have a tiny upstream, you can set your TCPreceiveWindow to 10-million, and it won't do you any good. A good clear upstream makes 5MBit FiOS run faster than 6Mbit Comcast.

Good, stable, fast, and less expensive than the "incumbant".

_________________________________________

Update 8/15/2008: Still good service. No downtime that I can remember since installation! The original base price of $35/month is now at $44.99/month. Even if it were equal with cable-based service (CMCST), it's still be a better deal. Fiber-delivery beats RF hands down.

__________________________________________

Update 1/20/2010: Service still good. The price has come up to equal that of Cablemodem now. However, FiOS is the better service, so if price were equal, I'd still pull the trigger on FiOS.

_______________________________________

Update 3/20/2011: Service still good. Dropped the price by about $10 a month by negotiating a new bundle with 15/5 Internet. A month after that, I found I had 20/5 w/o doing anything. If you discount the fact that very popular sites slow down at nite (youtube, facebook), the service is still plenty speedy!

_____________________________________________

Update 2/6/2012: Service still good. Price is equal to similar bandwidth tier among most other providers, but the differentiator is still fiber optics. It's still a superior and resilient transport. Now on 15/5 plan, which has been padded to 20/5. I'm getting the 20/5 speed consistantly.

_________________________________________

Update 1/19/14: I recently upgraded to 50/25 service. I can max out at about 60/30 or so with the 'fluff'. Quality is good; everything works, email is good. too bad prices keep creeping up and up and up over the years.... Have not needed tech support for anything luckily. Took out the ActionTec device, in favor of a Juniper SRX100 firewall. This was not because of a problem related to actiontec, I'm learning Juniper for my employer, and was given a demo-unit!

________________________________________

Update 8/2/14 - 50/25 still going strong.. 60downstream and 40upstream inclusive of fluff. Never needed tech support in the last so-many months.

Comments:

RMHA

@verizon.net

Tech Support

Why do you rate tech support with 75%. I am on FIOS for the last 2 years and the few times i needed tech support i got qualified help and i got it fast. A few days ago i lost connection (3rd time in 2 years) at 2am and i had an American tech within 3 minutes and a fix within 10!
batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
·Vonage

Re: Tech Support

I guess I could raise it a bit. --I had initial problems (years ago) where they couldn't find my account because I didn't have a VZ telephone number (am with Vonage..). Their call routing system sent me around in circles, and when I got ahold of a human, they put me back in the 'circle queue' (wash rinse repeat). Not the way a big company should handle things...

Review by gower2352 See Profile

• Location: Laurel,Prince Georges,MD
Good "SuperFast, Easy to Make Changes, Billing Seems Good Thus Far"
Bad "Nothing at moment "
Overall "Sign up online if your home is already wired and you'll get a great deal!"

Order the ultimate package. Ordered online and got some really great credits for the 24 months period. Also ordered all the movies channels I could have. Install was super easy since my apartment was already pre-wired. Got the new Quantum TV service.

Comments:

Review by rasmusjc See Profile

• Location: Southlake,Tarrant,TX

I have the Verizon FIOS Triple Play Bundle with Quantum 75/35 speeds. Not much to tell other than service has been great.

Comments:

Review by xaebz56K See Profile

• Location: Englewood,Sarasota,FL
Good "Excellent speeds and very reliable."
Bad "None."
Overall "Best ISP I have ever had."

·Everest Communic..
The router supplied is their latest and best, an ActionTec Router. All equipment is new, I have the bundle which includes TV, they also supplied their best HDTV cable box, a new one.

I've had absolutely no problems at all with Verizon. I also added on 2 more TVs with just their very basic cable box, just tunes all Verizon TV channels, no menu. These work exceptionally well too. When setting them up I had problems with them being recognized, the Verizon rep. was exceptionally friendly and helpful.

The price of $80 is for Internet and Prime TV, and does not include the 3 TV boxes. I was surprised every single thing they supplied was brand new and the best they offer. I've also been surprised at how helpful and friendly their reps. have been.

The service is extremely reliable.

Comments:

Review by patt2k See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Upload higher then download "
Bad "Constant billing issues"
Overall "Dumped TWC long time ago"

I switched from Time Warner Cable I had the 50/5 plan for 59$
the very next day when Time Warner sent me a letter , well not just me that they will be charging 3.95 modem rental fee I saw that Fios was at my adress so I few hours later ordered it!

Let's Compare:

TWC : 50/5 (59.99$)
Fios : 50/25 + TV , 79.99 (without taxes)

July 21st 2014

_______________________________________________

Yesterday took the free upgrade from 75/35 to 75/75 well in my case it jacked my price by 10$ working with Verizon Direct they sent request to Elite Billing team giving them chance for now to fix it before making complaint with BBB, will give them about a week max.

75/35 jumped to 83/92
83 down as always
upload 92 from 38 mbps.

Price went up from 74.99$ (free upgrade was jacked -- as of 7/21/2014 ->> JUMPED to 84.99$

_____________________________________________________
Since may 26 I am now in Brooklyn.

Had a outlet charge when it clearly said free had to go to Verizon forums and get that sorted out.

I am still on 75/35 , + Prime HD but not STB but cablecard rental.
After they fixed my bill it's about 93-94$ after taxes/fees.

July 16 2013
_________________________________________________
Got my fios 100$ gift card which is 2nd one. For re-bundling when moved and a contract. Time Warner guys were walking around my block just 2 days ago and trying to convince me and some other people to join TWC , well that didn't work.

Sept6 2013
______________________________

Had a tech yesterday to fix up low signal with the TV-Service it turned out my splitter and cables were crap.
My bill did go up because somehow there is more taxes in Brooklyn rather when I lived in Queens I basically had small amount of tax..

Promised rate is 84.99 + taxes so I pay 15$ just in taxes and fees.
Before adding STB : 100.11
After : I would expect about 107$
I still have cable card and stb now.

After contract ends will be cutting the cord unless Verizon does something about those fees.

November 17 2013
____________________

3 Days ago I downgraded to Select HD because I barely watch tv..
My price was 79.99 , I was actually arguing with Verizon that my bill shows 79.99 but they were charging me 84.99.
I downgraded to Select HD + kept 75/35 and price was supposed to be 74.99 , but it's 69.99 it now shows that I have extra discount til November 2014.

I will also be dropping cable card so that is -5 buck because as I said lately I barely watch TV.

Oct05 2013
______________

A kind of weird surprise but can't complain.
My price for 75/35 + Prime HD was 84.99
if I changed it to any other package for same packages I would pay 89.99
so my base price changed from 84.99 to 79.99 why? I have no idea?

I'm I happy? yes Thank you Verizon! for giving me such an amazing deal.
so on my next bill it will be 79.99 for double play 75/35+Prime HD.

member for 5.7 years, 1140 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by kmcheng See Profile

• Location: Maspeth,Queens,NY
Good "blasting down and up speed, intergrated phone feature as digital voice"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "good value for the money"

moved to a nearby place in early Sept, has fios service available. saw a verizon fios sales tent on a sidewalk one day, went there to ask, and the sales guy Peter helped me to sign up with a very good price. well, I have been using verizon online DSL for a few years until I moved, so I guess this has credit also
I have the double play internet and phone for $59.99 month without contract, plus tax is still less than $70, not bad. Add fios TV would cost more than $50, not going to do that. The internet plan is 50/25

have to delay the installation because of renovation, but finally got it done in early Nov. well, before that, they messed up the installation date, so they gave me $10 off for 12 month.

7/21/14
joined the My Reward+, got the symmetrical speed upgrade
»Verizon Makes All FiOS Tiers Symmetrical
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3639538052

12/1/13
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3137090129

update 11/27/13
changed the router to asus rt-ac68u, now the speed is back to as if I am only using the router from verizon, almost 60/40

11/7/13
Anyway, there is already a fios drop nearby, so the tech just connect the drop to my house, and install the ONT. The yellow wire within the black cover is indeed thin, just like a thin electric wire. I bet the actual fiber inside is even thinner

something interesting on the speed. the plan is up to 50/25, but the actual speed is nearly 60/40, unbelievable! Only that, when I make the MI424WR router to bridge mode and use my own WRT54GL router, the speed dropped to around 42/38. I have to OC the router from 200 mhz to 250 (using ddwrt) to get around 55mb download. Well, I guess it does take CPU power for the much higher bandwidth, given I just found out that the MI424WR actually has a dual core 64 bit processor... I am planning to get the asus rt-ac68u router for this, waiting for black friday to hopefully get it for a cheaper price

the phone is good, with digital voicemail service. the my fios app for android is useful also

the overall fios experience is good so far the only "down side" is, the account no is not my phone number anymore, and I can't "recycle" my previous DSL account username

Comments:

Review by mna See Profile

• Location: Reston,Fairfax,VA
Good "Reliable, No connection issues"
Overall "Good value"

25Mbps download/15Mbps upload

DLink 624 Router

member for 12.7 years, 1814 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by xrobertcmx See Profile

• Location: Sterling,Loudoun,VA
Good "Excellent Speed"
Bad "Equipment"
Overall "Worth the Money"

Update 7-July-2014

Given that our only other option at this point is Comcast we have stuck it out with Verizon. There have been very few outages, but we have had to get a tech out three times to replace the box out back. They really do not like doing that. Speeds initially started at about 15/5 moved to 25/25, then 30/30, and now 50/25. We see slightly faster then advertised speeds on average.

The bill has remained largely flat but that is due to getting rid of the cable boxes more then anything else.

I hear a lot about Netflix issues and I can't speak to that as I don't use Netflix for streaming. I can say that Amazon Prime, Hulu, ABC.com, CBS.com, and Crackle all work perfectly. My Plex Server feeds out video when I am on the road without pauses, buffers, or other issues. So no issues.

Overall I have no real complaints except the inevitable price creep.

Update 9-July-2010:

The wonderful thing about FIOS is that it works. For most of the past year the service has been flawless. We have amazingly consistent speed that are faster than my office connection (Comcast Business which drops every other day requiring the modem to be rebooted) and consistently hits 2.1Mb/s on download.

We use our Roku player nightly to watch TV shows from Netflix and the picture is wonderful.

What else is there to say, it is cheaper than the competion, faster than the competion, and if you get the TV service it looks better to.

#######################

While it wasn't hard to actually order FIOS, it took several attempts to actually get it installed. First the installers failed to show up, and no one called. Then we had bad weather, then they wanted to wait an additional month before coming back out.

Once installed the first several months did not go well. The service dropped at least once a day. After repeated calls to tech support, who did not want to help unless I called while my service was down (not really possible), an FCC complaint finally resolved the issue. It turned out I had a bad box on the back of my house, and the connection to the box was overly tight which broke the cable (Or so the tech claimed).

With that fixed we have not had any further issues, or outages. We get the full 20/5 as advertised. The included Actiontec 802.11g router didn't have the power to reach my third floor (Small townhouse), so I have turned off the wireless in it, and gone with a Linksys WRT160N with DHCP disabled and simply used as a bridge. It works.

Netflix streams at 3Mbps, looks great. Hulu works really well, even on their version of HD. And we have now ordered the FIOS Television service. Which was actually even more difficult to get installed.

Comments:

gregkillick

@159.118.91.x

contract lie

I was a 4 year customer all 3 items bundled service was great all 4 years
But when we renewed we had 2 years before retiring we were told that if we moved to another State
that did not have Verizion we WOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY THE EARLY TERMINATION FEE IF THE STATE WE MOVED TO DID NOT HAVE VERIZION BUT GUESS WHAT HAPPEN YOU GUYS DID NOT KEEP YOUR
PROMISE ,AFTER MANY CALLS YOU GUYS PLAYED HARD BALL SO NOW I'M RETIRED I GO ON EVERY REVIEW SITE AND BLAST WHAT YOU DID . JUST TO WARN THE PUBLIC HOW YOU HANDEL CUSTOMER SERVICE
xrobertcmx
join:2001-06-18
Sterling, VA

Re: contract lie

Did you file an FCC Complaint? It takes about 5 minutes and generally works.
I voted for Snoopy!

Review by bobbyinpa See Profile

• Location: Hershey,Dauphin,PA
Good "Rock solid FIOS service with no interruptions"
Bad "Wish I could say wireless is just as good as their service is tied into my bill too"
Overall "Watch out for all the added fees to understand your total bill and make sure they continue any discounts you receive."

6-27-2014

FIOS has remained a solid performer and I am still impressed with the reliability of the TV, internet, and home phone portion. I would drop the home phone but I have a fax which is used weekly, so it stays for now until cheaper internet faxing shows up. Wireless has improved and I do have all Verizon services on a "one bill" or quad play again. My original battery for the FIOS entry inside my home is still functioning, although about every 2-3 months it will intermittently alarm that it needs replaced. I have no complaints with FIOS service, wish the wireless was just as reliable too.

Comments:
bobbyinpa

Update 6-24-12

Still rock solid, note that thunderstorms no longer cause a total loss of internet connection or TV media. With Comcast, I lost everything with every thunderstorm. Went total digital with landline and saved about 20.00 a month. I cannot tell you how satisfied I am with Verizon. I did not go for a speed increase as 35/35 is very fast for me. I hope you can get FIOS, it is worth the effort.

Update October 6, 2012

I have now entered the quad play. I have a smartphone with unlimited data plan, 1400 minutes, unlimited text and pics, and two other cell lines. I have the ultimate Fios TV plan with Showtime and Movie Channel plus Epix, one HD DVR box, one HD box, and three regular mini boxes. My internet speed is 75-35. Lastly, we have digital phone service since it is now cheaper than regular pots.

No issues and all is smooth. I did find adjusting your options online can be a frustrating challenge as the pricing can jump more than you can expect. I may have to wait for a representative, but find talking with Verizon is the easiest. I have to give Kudos to Verizon for always making an attempt to keep my bill manageable and as low as possible.

I am very satisfied and will continue. One interesting note, when I had Comcast I lost TV with every single thunderstorm. Verizon just keeps working and the only loss of service is when we lost our power too.
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

Re: Update October 6, 2012

said by bobbyinpa:

I also have Verizon Wireless do you get any discount for linking it to one bill?
guppy_fish
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL

NOT FIOS, this is a wireless review

What does this review have to do with FIOS???? All your post is about Verizon Wireless!!

RedCaliSS
join:2004-08-21
Murrieta, CA

said by guppy_fish:

I'm thinking the same thing... scratching my head trying to figure out if he's reviewing Verizon wireless or Verizon FIOS
neither or both?

Re: NOT FIOS, this is a wireless review

I have the quad play and my bill includes all Verizon services. I mention Verizon has been reliable but they lack integrity. Give me a break.
guppy_fish
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL

Re: NOT FIOS, this is a wireless review

How about you make a Verizon WIRELESS review .. this has nothing to do with FIOS

Re: NOT FIOS, this is a wireless review

Was just told my Quad play account is being returned back to the original billing and all changes made by the wireless reps have been reversed. I am blown away that Verizon made a 180 and made a customer happy. I will probably drop the quad play and stick with a triple play for FIOS and a wireless bill on the side as they do not offer discounts when you tie them together on the quad play billing.