Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1931 reviews (1456 good) (142 bad)

Review by JeepMatt See Profile

• Location: Wilmington,New Castle,DE
Good "HD Content - Kills Comcast"
Bad "So Far - Not Much"
Overall "If You Care About HD - FIOS TV is your #1 Choice"

**UPDATE - 6/13/14**

After being back with Comcast for 2 1/2 years - I had to take a look at what I was paying for. I want HD channels - I want HD premium channels - Yes, I want HD. Not On Demand, not on my computer - I mean, I spend all day on a computer for work - why would I want to watch TV on it?

FIOS is the leader in HD when comparing the two MSO's. Just since I came back at the end of March - they've added 5 HD channels - and have capacity for more. They now carry both of the Philly Comcast sports channels in HD. They have beIN Sport in HD - they have Spanish soccer channels in HD. I think you get my point. They have a plan. Comcast - all they care about is X1. They haven't added an HD channel in my area in over 2 years. Yes - TWO years. I could now order MLB Extra Innings again and get all 9 HD channels. The new Quantum TV is excellent. 6 tuners, 1TB of space - and the satellite boxes are all IP based. This is actually a step ahead of the X1 boxes.

Internet side - my employer pays for my monthly service - so right now we're on the 150/65 package. Yes, it's $120/mo as part of our Double Play, but again - not paying for it. Hopefully they bump that up soon based on all the other providers bragging about 300 down plans. And I get that full speed - even wirelessly. As part of my install - they replaced my old ONT from 2007 with a brand new GPON ONT in my basement.

Billing has been perfect as well - and all of the technicians that came to my home - above and beyond professional.
Happy Matt.

**UPDATE - 11/14/11**

Internet remains perfect - 35/35 package cannot be matched by cable.
Phone & Wireless - no issues

TV - As I mentioned 6 months ago, FIOS TV is now severely lacking and behind the competition with HD channels. I lowered the Value for Money rating as a result.

**UPDATE - 5/13/11**

Things continue to roll along - 35/35 internet is stable, fast, and reliable. TV - great PQ - wishing they'd finally get around to adding more HD - as VZ is now trailing most providers. Only thing I'm wishing for at this point.

Also, rolled my VZ Wireless account into the main parent one. 1 bill - 4 services.

**UPDATE - 1/20/10**

Updated today to the Fios Ultimate HD Triple Play package - which includes every channel and 35/35 internet along with home phone. With 3 STB's this will run me around $215 / mo.

Can't complain - as FIOS blows away any other provider in my area.

**UPDATE - 3/26/09**

FIOS TV and Internet continue to blow away the competition. New HD channels this month push the total here to 108. Comcast in Northern DE? 37 total. Yep..seriously.

With the latest firmware release, all DVR issues have been corrected.

If you have a choice of FIOS in your area, it's a total no-brainer.

**UPDATE - 9/25/08**

Well, I gave FIOS TV another try, and signed back up on 8/6/08. Despite the year of horror I had experienced in 2007, based on Comcast's inability to add anything new to this area, I gave Verizon a 2nd chance.

All I can say is WOW. Whatever had caused my prior problems obviously has been fixed, and i've just witnessed 54 new HD channels appear in my guide in the past few weeks. With 20+ more scheduled in the next month or so.

The updated guide is a breath of fresh air - and so far, i'm loving it. Next big date will be 10/16, when this area is to receive the 1.6 software update. Looking forward to streaming shows to my HD box.

**UPDATE - 6/24/08**

Updated to the 20/20 tier. Not bad.

Last result:
19219/17324 Kbps

**UPDATE - 5/20/08**

15/15 tier continues to rock. FIOS Internet cannot be matched in Northern Delaware. I still laugh though reading the TV horror stories in the FIOS TV forum.

**UPDATE - 11/20/07**

Upgraded to the new 15/15 FIOS tier yesterday. Here's the results:

Download Speed: 15462 kbps (1932.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 14112 kbps (1464.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Awesome. Fios Internet continues to rock.

FIOS TV? Don't get me started. The whole offering is one big cluster-f**k.

**UPDATE - 11/28/06**
It ended up taking 12 days to fix the issue listed below, but now the routing is back to normal, and service levels are back to excellent. I've since given Comcast the boot for telephone - and now have VZ for both phone and internet.

Now, i'm just waiting for TV to roll out in Delaware.

**UPDATE - 11/11/06**

Well, once again, FIOS is having major issues with their backbone and Alter.net routers out of Philadelphia. After taking 2 days to even open a ticket for me, i'm now on Day 3 of the 300% increased latency.

Something happened at exactly 6am on 11/9 to cause this - so obviously some type of routing table change was made.

I love FIOS, don't get me wrong, but these issues cropping up every month or two are getting really annoying. It's almost like I have to babysit the network. I've lowered Tech Support to a 3 - because I was asked "what's the importance of seeing latency go up 300%?" Oh boy.

**UPDATE - 8/1/06**

Okay, it's now almost 3 months since I signed up for FIOS. Time for an update.

Over this time, connection has not gone down once except for when I lost power 3 times. That would be Delmarva Power's fault, not Verizon.

There have been however 3 occasions where a Verizon router or an Alter.net router (which is owned by Verizon) has died and caused major speed and routing issues. It took 5 days to fix the first one, and 4 for the second. The 3rd was a 2-hour long hiuccup.

I raised my tech-support rating from 3 to 4 as for the times I used the VZ Direct forum here on DSLReports and the times I called on the phone, the responses I received were good - and they knew what i was talking about. None of that, reboot your router crap.

As with any fledgling service, VZ has been ironing out different peering arrangements, etc. For the last few weeks however, it seems they are back on track to perfection.

My only other gripe is that we're still at 15/2 here in Delaware. My install tech told me we'd see the 20/5 upgrade by the end of May. Well, it's August and still no upgrade. I find it a bit unfair that people in NY/NJ/CT are getting higher speeds and paying the same amount of $ for the same service. No matter if it's cable or FIOS, that's a very shady business practice.

***********************************************************************************************
Well,
I decided to finally get set up with FIOS since it just became available in my neighborhood. Signed up on 5/1, installed today, 5/9. I'm the first in my immediate neighborhood to sign on.

Price point is fantastic - $44.95 / month for the 15/2 service, which supposedly will be increased to 20/5 shortly.

You can follow my BBR thread with pics, speed tests, and tracerts here.

»[northeast] FIOS Now Available to JeepMatt in Delaware!

Tech support haven't used, so I just put in a 3. My install tech was fantastic. Great guy - personality, cleanliness, you name it.

All I can say is Comcast really should be worried. I used to be a doubter, but hell, this speed and for less money?? C'mon now... I'll most likely be cancelling my Comcast HSI account within the week.

member for 12.8 years, 6610 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

shayes

@50.202.28.x

Fraudulent Charges Poor Customer Service

They are a bunch of crooks. They are charging me for service that they claim was done to my cable. I explain to them that the tech never came to my house, never serviced my cable, and I never signed for anything. They stated that because it is in their notes, that the charges are valid. No one can tell me what the notes say. They claimed they called the tech and he stated that he came out to my house and serviced my cable but when i mention that I did not sign anything and that he has nothing with my signature on it, they keep repeating that the charges are valid and they ignore me when i say that I did not sign off on him coming or doing any service. No matter who i speak, the chat line, email, or the phone, they all have the worst customer service. Especially on the phone, it sounds like they pick up bums from the corner and have them be CSRs. They are not professional and not courteous. I am cancelling my cable as soon as my contract ends. They are not professional and they are they are crooks. No evidence of service and no proof provided by the customer that they were there and they still charge you. Never again will i ever use them. I also will never recommend them to anyone. I will always speak badly of them to anyone who asks me or if i hear someone speaking of Verizon.

Review by sam64 See Profile

• Location: Newtown,Bucks,PA
Good "Great install, excellent customer service, very reliable"
Overall "FIOS rocks. Would never use anything else if available."

Had DSL and cable before. Switched from DSL to cable for better speed and switched back to DSL becacuse of poor reliability with cable.

One of the first FIOS installs in Bucks County, PA. Have had it since July 2005. Only one outage - due to power failure last year. No fault of Verizon - could not use service even if it was available.

D-Link Router installed.

Excellent install coordination, follow up and after sales service. Tech support is first class.

Comments:

Review by Pathfinder See Profile

• Location: Mount Vernon,Westchester,NY
Good "Always up and speed is consistent"
Bad "None yet"
Overall "Get it if available"

Aug 22,2013:

I have had the service for 8 months now and have never had any outage. My speeds are consistent and reliable. I was able to switch from Freedom Essentials to Digital Voice and am very happy with it. I also changed my speeds from 35/35 to 50/25 for no change in price.

In December of 2011 I had switched from Verizon DSL to Time Warner Triple play. I had been very satisfied with DSL but the increase in TW cable tv made the switch and easy economic choice, I knew that Verizon was wiring my apartment complex for FIOS and I thought that I could have it within the year.

FIOS became available 1 month after my year with TW was up and TW had increased my bill by about $40. As a Verizon retiree I am entitled to the employee plan which is the Ultimate TV package, Freedom Essentials phone and 35/35 internet for 79.99. The cost of 2 boxes is 13.98 bringing the total before taxes and fees to @$94.

I couldn't be happier. The internet is fast, the phone reliable and the tv is great. No pixelation as I was getting with TW. No sudden modem reboots as I got with TW, sometimes in the middle of a telephone conversation. And no BS $3.95 modem rental fee.

I am very satisfied and, even at full price, the service is worth every penny.

member for 14.5 years, 8211 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

wow

wow that is your discount?
I pay same exact amount for 75/35 PRIME HD and 1 set box

Review by Angelicfury See Profile

• Location: Buffalo,Erie,NY
Good "Always on."
Bad "No major bad problems"
Overall "Good choice for good money."

I've waited for FiOS so I could dump RoadRunner. I was happy with Adelphia (as per previous reviews) but everything changed once my service was switched over. Instead of calling everytime my service went down (approx 4 times a week) I just waited for Fios. I'm happy I made the switch and am not looking back.I set up the install for a Wed. and it took under 3 hours. The tech was knowledgeable and dedicated. One other small hiccup was I got charged for an additional computer set up when that wasn't the case.

UPDATE: I have not had any outages since my last review. The speed has always been constant and pings are always low. I have never been happier since leaving TWC. Now i'm sitting back and waiting for FiOS TV.

2nd Update: Still with FiOS as it is still a better deal for me then what anyone else offers. Ditched their router for my own wireless solution. TV and Internet for a hair over $100

Comments:

Justswitched

@72.66.96.x

Superbly sucks

We cannot get consistent service. Channels are consistently out and pixelated. They flicker all the time. It makes the expensive nature of comcast seem worth it. Game of thrones at broadcasted time: out. Ender's game at broadcasted time: out. Davinci's Demons at broadcasted time: out. Penny Dreadful on demand: goes to black and flickers every few seconds. Problems reported: reset box. They reset the box 6 times and it didn't work. That is service that sucks

Angelicfury

join:2001-10-28
Buffalo, NY

Re: Superbly sucks

Is this on FiOS TV? If so I don't think I'm looking forward to it.

Review by mig288 See Profile

• Location: Cherry Hill,Camden,NJ
Good "Excellent speeds and very consistent"
Bad "None at this time."
Overall "Great value and much faster than cable"

I currently have the 35/35 package and the router provided is the Actiontech MI424WR Rev I. The installer completed the job in about 6 hours. He was very neat which I appreciated. I'm very happy with the service/experience at this time. I would highly recommend this service to anyone who could get it.

Update: I have had the service for approx 8 months and have upgraded to the 150/75 internet package. Verizon sent a technician to upgrade the ONT and run an ethernet wire from the ONT to the Actiontech router (not sure why). The speed is great and has been very consistent. I haven't had any problems with my service. Great job Verizon!

Update: I have had the service for 2 years and have further expanded the reach of my connection by adding two Moca LAN adapter to reach basement were I noticed weak WiFi signal and now the coverage is excellent. I moved from the 150/75 connection to 75/35 due to the limitations of the Moca adapters only able to run at about 96 Mbps down and when the new adapters capable of achieving those speeds are released, I will consider again upgrading.

Overall, I'm happy with the service. I wish the set top boxes would be more responsive as I have noticed they sometimes are stuck in limbo. Moreover, I have noticed that the cable companies have started to increase their speed packages at reasonable prices. I hope that Verizon recognizes this and raises the "bar" again.

Comments:
PaulyIzGod

join:2008-02-18
Tampa, FL

ethernet wire from the ONT to the Actiontech router

Can't obtain the 150/65 over coax, and If you had an older Bpon ONT it can't obtain 150/65 either. Needed to upgrade you to a GPon ONT. Those are the reason's they made the changes.

mig288
join:2002-07-13
Cherry Hill, NJ

Re: ethernet wire from the ONT to the Actiontech router

I understand the need to upgrade the BPON ONT to GPON, however, what eludes me is why they would need both coax and ethernet plugged into the router?
Bytezboy

join:2001-05-17
New York, NY

Re: ethernet wire from the ONT to the Actiontech router

said by mig288:

Coax is for the set top box to receive guide.
75/35 Fios, Triple Play Extreme.

Review by bob1954 See Profile

• Location: Hackensack,Bergen,NJ
Good "Great value for money, great hd picture, Internet fast, clear phone line."
Overall "If Fios is available in your area do not hestitate and get it..."

Well I was a Cablevision customer for many years and satisfied most of time but with Fios I choosen the Ultimate HD with the 35/35 Internet and the home phone line for 120.00 per month with no contract and the price is good for 24 months. With these services I also have multi room DVR for life for as long as I keep all 3 services. The speed I am receiving now is 43 / 35 and I very happy because this is the speed I receive any time of the day, which was a problem with Optimum. The wireless router is a plus..I will keep you updated as time goes on.

This is just an update of the services I have, and I really don't have anything to add to my review.. The services have been flawless and I couldn't be any happier..I would highly recommend Fios to anyone that can receive it...The phone service is crystal clear, and the TV has a great HD picture, and the internet is always 43megs down and 35 megs up...

06/20/12: Renegoicated by Fios deal so I can get the new speeds, which for me now is 84megs down and 37mes up. I still have all the channels plus all the HD Channels...No visit was required, and everything was done as promissed...If this service is available to you, there is no other choices...Recommend highly...

I am still very well pleased with the service and speed, but the only thing I would like to see them do is add more HD channels..

05/28/2014 Well I am still pleased with my Fios.. I was Cablevision customer for many year before Fios and Cablevision is a good company, but when the people came home from work, the internet took a dive downward.. I can't say that about Fios it is the same speed all the time 75/35 and with Netflix it works and performs very well for me.

member for 14.5 years, 4543 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
ExtremeRFR

join:2005-05-13
West New York, NJ

1 recommendation

Multi Room DVR RULES

In order to keep the MultiRoom DVR, you must keep your services active and uninterrupted. Meaning if you are late on a payment kiss your Multi Room DVR Free for Life GONE! Set up automatic payments so you can keep your DVR monthly fee FREE. Or pay each month and not pass the Date Due. Just to let you know. I was reading the fine prints. Good luck and enjoy your FiOS! I've been a customer for over 2 years. I love their services!

Review by Xela19115 See Profile

• Location: Richboro,Bucks,PA
Good "The service is solid, Internet is fast, video PQ is great"
Bad "Installation department and customer service need to have a better coordination"
Overall "Great value for the money"

The service seems to be fast and stable. Ping numbers are low, well at least compared to Comcast. And it is fast. I have not done any tweaking yet... Just got installed a few days ago.

Update: 5/14/2014: Still great service at a decent price.

member for 14 years, 3436 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by tippboogie See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY

·Verizon Online DSL
Not one single problem. Glad I made the switch.

Comments:

Review by gateguy See Profile

• Location: Reisterstown,Baltimore,MD
Good "speed speed speed"
Overall "I absolutely love it"

My install was performed last April. I had selected the 15/15 plan. The presales communications were frequent, but sometimes confusing. I had received emails that had three different installations dates. I was asked if I wanted to keep my same phone number (why after having it for 18 years would I want to change it)

The installation went smoothly.

I had since upgraded to the 20/20 plan. Initially they downgraded me to the 10/2 plan (how the rep selected the wrong option is beyond me). But waited for the order to complete and then replaced the order for the correct speeds.

I normally see 2.52MB up and down.

[update 8/6/2009] Still loving the Fios. Not too happy with all the sales calls trying to get me to 'upgrade'.

[update 9/24/2010] My FIOS service was upgraded today (yet again!). I now have the 35/35Mb internet connection. I have the Ultimate TV package and the Freedom Essentials telephone. My new price is $79 per month. Gotta love it.

[update 10/4/2012] Still loving the Fios. Now I am getting the 50/25 package. I did have to have the battery/charger system replaced. The guy came out the same day (on a Saturday).

[update 05/07/2014] I still enjoy my Fios. There are times though that the peering issues Verizon is/was having with NetFlix are causing issues. But overall it has been a very rock solid service.

member for 13.7 years, 4931 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Rick4769 See Profile

• Location: Buffalo,Erie,NY
Good "Fast reliable internet speeds, excellent SD & HD TV & digital phone"
Bad "Needs to add a few more HD channels"
Overall "FIOS is outstanding compared to my previous provider Time Warner."

I opted for the Ultimate TV package with all the premium channels, 75/35 internet and the digital phone with battery backup. In addition I also ordered two DVR's. Shortly, I will be receiving a $400.00 Visa card for signing up for the Ultimate package which was the icing on the cake.

The install was very professional with ethernet connections on all areas. I did not opt for the WiFi connection as I wanted to be hard wired. The FIOS technician was very helpful and explained everything aspect of the install to us. The entire time for install was about 3 1/2 hours. The tech went over all the features on the remotes and the DVR boxes. FIOS is far superior to my previous provider Time Warner as far as television picture quality in SD as well as HD. The interactive guide on the Cisco DVR's were greatly advanced as compared to Time Warner's. Now I know why people rave about FIOS. One issue I had with Time Warner was their digital phone going out when there was a power outage. With Fios, I now have a battery backup with the digital phone and won't lose my telephone connection in a power outage.

I would like to see FIOS offer more HD TV stations such as TCM, UP, Inspiration, Esquire, Longhorn and HLN to name a few. FIOS also needs to add the locals such as ION Network station, Retro TV and CBC Toronto.

I highly recommend FIOS as compared to cable television and now understand why so many subscribers like FIOS.

member for 1.9 years, 495 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Rick4769

join:2012-11-21
Buffalo, NY

Update 5/12/14

Received my Verizon FIOS $400.00 Visa card today two weeks ahead of schedule. I failed to mention in my review that the FIOS TV guide is far superior to my previous provider, Time Warner cable. Far more advanced and even had a search function TWC never had.