Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1911 reviews (1452 good) (133 bad)

Review by JRBlood See Profile

• Location: Syracuse,Onondaga,NY
Good "It's fiber! Need I say more. :)"
Bad "Hope no trees knock down the lines during a storm."
Overall "Fantastic speeds, 5 STATIC IPs, wonderful uptime."

Ever since the three-phase install process was completed, we couldn't be happier. We've gone from dial-up, to sDSL, to wireless, to FiOS, and each time faster and more reliable than the previous. Having such fast speeds and 5 static IPs is a dream for such a small company as ours is (30+ employees). And believe me, not hearing complaints from users complaining about "the 'net is down!" or "why is our 'net connection so slow today" has taken a lot of stress off of this IT tech's shoulders. And having the ability to move our mail and web services inhouse has paid for the FiOS service in no time.

UPDATE: 2010-01-20 - Still use it, and it still rocks! It has been the most reliable and fastest provider we've ever had.

Said bye-bye to RoadRunner at home as well this past July. 25M/25M and couldn't be happier!

UPDATE: 2013-09-23 - Still have it at home and at work and it still rocks! All ISPs should have this kind of service, but since they're still using copper for delivery to the home/business they'll always have issues.

Comments:

Review by Drunkula See Profile

• Location: Denton,Denton,TX
Good "Easy install process / better value than cable"
Bad "Got to use Verizon supplied router to get guide data/VOD - lengthy contract"
Overall "If it's in your neighborhood, DO IT!"

When I first got Fios I only had the Internet service (was already using Vonage for phone and Dish for TV). Decided to try out the the bundled deal. Now that it's all setup and running everything is working well, nice and speedy, no availability problems observed (rock solid so far). I'm quite pleased with performance, value, etc....

However, I do have a few gripes that are more equipment related than service related. Now that I get the TV service I have to use the Verizon supplied Actiontec router. I was using a dedicated 3 NIC firewall router box where I had my wireless access point on a isolated subnet (no connection to my internal wired LAN). From what I've read it IS possible to setup vlans on the Actiontec. I have seen some of the screens for it's configuration. The problem is, it's not real obvious how to accomplish what I want to do (separate IP subnet for one of the LAN ports to connect my WAP). Mind you I'm no dummy but WTF?

Another gripe, the Actiontec seems to only support WEP encryption out of the box. This is really not a problem for me. I just disabled it's wireless and use my Linksys WAP instead. Again, some of what I've read would seem to indicate WPA is available. I was not able to find it though.

[EDIT]
As some have pointed out, WPA IS available and it does work fine. I even got WPA2 working on it - but I went back to the Linksys WAP to get a stronger signal.
[/EDIT]
Anyhow, despite my equipment gripes, overall I am pleased with the service. There have been a few glitches in TV reception (brief pixelations) the first day. Haven't seen them since. Other than that I am very pleased with the service.

[EDIT 2]
I'm now up to 50/25 speeds. Tests at about 58/34. Very happy with speed.
[/EDIT 2]

member for 13.8 years, 4377 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX

FIOS is great!

I have FIOS in Denton also (East side off of Audra and McKinney) and have never had any issues with it. It is way better than crappy Charter.

Review by delugg See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "$100 less/month for the next 24. Much better bandwidth. Installer replaced all of TW's bad cabling in our apartment."
Bad "Installation was a bear."
Overall "Glad I did it. Wouldn't do it twice."

In NY City we may have the best of everything, but our broadband selections are limited to which providers service which buildings.

I had thought about switching to Verizon FIOS ever since our building (with over 500 units) invited Verizon to install fiber, about 2 years ago. With Time Warner we had to reboot our three cable TV boxes and our cable modem at least once/month. And just recently, adding insult, TW decided to start charging us rental on our cable modem!

A couple of weeks ago, I pulled the trigger and put a package together on Verizon's website. I learned you can only get so far on the website, when it comes to best price and feature-set. I wanted all the TV we enjoyed via Time Warner. And I wanted a much faster Internet experience. Maybe a couple of times per week I watch streaming video, and I upload a number of very hi-res images. So I decided I wanted 50M/25M. When I tried adding all of these options, Verizon's site also eliminated some of my freebies (free installation, etc.). The price was getting sour quickly. So the bottom line is, it's necessary to call an agent. Always ask, "What else can you do for me on this price?" It never hurts to ask.

Finally, when it came time to book an install date, I told the rep that our building has a rule that any Verizon FiOS installations must be booked FIRST THING in the morning (true!). (This is because workers must stop in our building at 5 PM, and too many residents have had bad installation experiences.) I was told, "OK, I'll make a note of that." Did they honor that? No! Our installer was sent to a repair before showing up at our place around Noon. Then he had a problem snaking a cable through one of our troughs. By 3 PM, almost nothing had been done, and the installer was telling me his boss called and said he could not work overtime to finish the job!! I WAS FURIOUS.

I called up his boss and said, "Does Verizon want me as a customer or not?!" Then I called customer service and was eventually transferred to the Customer Retention department where I asked the same pointed question. I informed them (a very nice rep), that if my tech was not allowed to work and finish, the deal was off. Fifteen minutes later my tech was called and told to he could work until 6:30 PM. By this time I also had to call my building's office and beg them to let him stay that late.

The tech did a good job. In fact, he had to replace almost every inch of co-ax in our 2-bedroom apartment. (It turns out that TW had stapled right through the cable in a number of places when they initially installed, many years ago.) The tech did have to return the following morning, which meant I had to cancel a client I had, losing money, but our installation did get done.

I'm now a satisfied FiOS customer. The network speed is fast. The video and phone both seem clean and reliable.

All of this is why my neighbors have said, and now I say, "I'm glad I did it, but I wouldn't do it again."

Comments:

NYCFios

@verizon.net

Your installer

You might have had a new tech. It shouldn't take that long to install fios in an apartment. As with every other field. Some people work better than others. I wouldn't let the time frame discourage you from going with Fios again.

Fios Tech

@verizon.net

Installation

I had to reply to this post. As a Fios installer, and who has been installations tech for over 15 years, not every install is the same whether its in a high rise building or a single family home. First let me point out, We call our customers first thing in the morning to keep them informed, so if Verizon gives you a AM time, that time is from 8am to 11:59 am, if the tech shows up at 11:50 am , then we did honor our commitment time. First an average install, which is stated when our website or is verbally told if called to order service, is anywhere from 5-8 hours. We do get repairs, and they have to be done first, so again if I show up at 11am, then more than likely i'll be eating dinner with you at your kitchen table(just kidding), more than likely i'll be finishing well after 7, especially if you order 3-4 Set Top cable boxes and also that i don't have to run any new coax cable, because your existing coax tests bad. I go to a lot of people apartments and half of them are filthy, loaded with clutter, i cant even move in the apartment, it's so bad I have to tell the customers they need to move their furniture, which they get pissed, and blame VZ for the time it takes to get them job done. And if your a hoarder, and i do get those from time to time, you really dont deserve Fios, you deserve to be institutionalized, just saying..... Of course on our jobs we get people who's computer is loaded with viruses, is it Verizon's fault that we cant activate your internet,because you dont know how to use a computer, I'm not there to run virus scans to get your computer to work, it's not VZ's job to do that!!!! But the good soul that I am, I try to help the new subscribers always

Review by lijacobs See Profile

• Location: Lawrence,Nassau,NY
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "Excellent TV Quality, Inet speed higher than expected (43/35)"
Bad "none"
Overall "Beats CV, both price and quality"

9-15-2013
I still have the same plan and I am still pleased with the quality of service. The on-screen caller ID and the remote access to the DVR are now both very reliable too. Video streaming from all sources including YouTube is excellent.

Double Flex up to 15/5, Extreme HD, MRDVR, HDSTB, QIP72xx,, QIP71xx
3 years negotiating with Verizon before turn up in our co-op - July, 2010

6-28-2011
I'm a Verizon retiree and recently took advantage of VZs new FiOS plan for employees and retirees. I now have Triple Play, Ultimate TV, 35/35 Internet and Freedom Essentials Phone. The service is generally very high quality and reliable except for the on-screen caller ID feature and remote access to my DVR which don't work work most of the time. The picture quality is far better than Cablevision, our previous provider. Internet speed is reliable and never slows down no matter what time of day. Cablevision's speed was variable and was especially slow in the evening hours.

member for 3.7 years, 1292 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by byron See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Amazing internet speeds and stunning PQ"
Bad "HD channel lineup is missing a few channels that TWC offers"
Overall "Worth every penny"

I've been a prisoner to Time Warner Cable for years. For the first 1-2 years I reported PQ issues and sound anomalies to any outlet that would listen. On some occasions they were able to resolve the problems after weeks (sometimes months) of back and forth. After a couple years and having some of the same issues resurface I gave up and just accepted the fact that TWC had me cornered with no alternative.

Shortly thereafter I contacted Verizon about wiring our building for FiOS. It was quite a wait but they came through and got the building wired (roughly 2 years from the time we signed the agreement).

Triple Play package ($119 /mo + taxes/fees)
FiOS TV Extreme HD
FiOS Digital Voice Unlimited
FiOS Internet 75/35

Now my FiOS service is installed and I've been a customer for about a month. The service is very very impressive. Installer was very knowledgeable and polite. Installation took just under 4 hours to complete. He had no problems with my request to activate my internet on the ethernet port (instead of coax). I'm in a condo building so our building is the typical MDU/FTTH setup with a fiber tap above each door. The fiber run from the hallway to my ONT is neatly tucked along the baseboard and is barely noticeable.

TV
It could be my imagination but the picture quality seems much much better than Time Warner Cable. FiOS is missing a handful of HD channels that I would like to have but they aren't a deal breaker. I have two TVs and both of them are set up with TiVo Premier Elite boxes so I'm a CableCard only household. Verizon had no problem with this (TWC charged me more to do this... Somehow it was cheaper to rent an HD STB and just let it sit in the closet).

Internet
The internet is revolutionary. I've never seen a speed test come in below my advertised tier (75/35). Latency is consistently below 10ms.

Voice
Phone features are nice... I wish they had an iOS app that would allow you to manage all of the calling features but the latest iOS update at least gives you access to your voicemail and call history. Better than nothing I suppose.

Comments:

Review by ttb1263 See Profile

• Location: Gaithersburg,Montgomery,MD
Good "Good price, fast internet, better HD pictures, quick install"
Bad "Hard to to switch from VZ router to your own router if you have FIOS TV with internet package, VZ contractor destroyed my lawn"
Overall "Time will tell how much better VZ FIOS compare to Comcast but I like the services so far"

After years of waiting for FIOS, VZ finally ran fiber in our neighborhood around July time frame. Two weeks ago, I ordered the triple package on line with 50/25 internet, prime HD with 1 DVR, and telephone for the grand total of about $136 a month. I also will receive a $300 gift card for signing up. It took only a week from the time ordering to the time I have everything running. Four days before the installation date, VZ contractors came out to my house and ran the cable from the street box to the outside wall. They accidentally cut the Comcast cable and I had to call them back to get it repair. They came back digging to find the cut cable and destroyed my yard in return :-( . The install day arrived, the installer called first to make sure i was home. He was professional and knew what he was doing. He answered all questions and provided instructions - very helpful. He also gave me a DVR box and a Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I router. The install took about an hour and I was happy with the service

The internet speed is awesome, the HD picture is sharp and the phone quality is good. I have no issue so far but I have place several calls to support to break the DHCP lease since I tried to bridge the Actiontec router and caused the issue. I was amaze on how efficient and helpful the support person(s) provided. The only thing that I want now is getting my router to become a primary router

Except for the dead grass, I'm please with the switch from Comcast to VZ. It's too early to tell how stable FIOS is but I would recommend everybody to have FIOS. It''s FAST !!!

Comments:

Review by johnf2 See Profile

• Location: Feasterville Trevose,Bucks,PA
Good "Picture quality the greatest in the world."
Bad "none"
Overall "Very, very satisfied."

Great speed and reliability for the value!
Quantum 50/25 package.
Guide much improved now that Tribune Media provides the guide
FiOS PQ is excellent, that's the huge benefit of fiber optics!

member for 12.3 years, 4041 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Pathfinder See Profile

• Location: Mount Vernon,Westchester,NY
Good "Always up and speed is consistent"
Bad "None yet"
Overall "Get it if available"

Aug 22,2013:

I have had the service for 8 months now and have never had any outage. My speeds are consistent and reliable. I was able to switch from Freedom Essentials to Digital Voice and am very happy with it. I also changed my speeds from 35/35 to 50/25 for no change in price.

In December of 2011 I had switched from Verizon DSL to Time Warner Triple play. I had been very satisfied with DSL but the increase in TW cable tv made the switch and easy economic choice, I knew that Verizon was wiring my apartment complex for FIOS and I thought that I could have it within the year.

FIOS became available 1 month after my year with TW was up and TW had increased my bill by about $40. As a Verizon retiree I am entitled to the employee plan which is the Ultimate TV package, Freedom Essentials phone and 35/35 internet for 79.99. The cost of 2 boxes is 13.98 bringing the total before taxes and fees to @$94.

I couldn't be happier. The internet is fast, the phone reliable and the tv is great. No pixelation as I was getting with TW. No sudden modem reboots as I got with TW, sometimes in the middle of a telephone conversation. And no BS $3.95 modem rental fee.

I am very satisfied and, even at full price, the service is worth every penny.

member for 14 years, 8038 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

wow

wow that is your discount?
I pay same exact amount for 75/35 PRIME HD and 1 set box

Review by lbvagrant See Profile

• Location: Long Beach,Los Angeles,CA
Good "great speed, customer service will work with you til the end, price comparable to others"
Bad "new updates have regulary caused issues and will again in the future no doubt"
Overall "most areas only get 2-3 choices... if verizon fios is one of the take it"

running 35/35 fios with tv and phone
have charter and Verizon to choose from
down the street is att or charter cable.
so having had bad dealings with charter and not close enough to att to even test them
Verizon is my choice, cable is slowed during peak times anyways!
been on the line since gte and had better times with them.
all in all the customer service toward the older customers is lacking, trying to pull in new ones too much.
you have to point that fact out then you get the perks "gift cards, discounts for a year, speed increase's free, ect"
most the time its solid stable and fast...
last week or so ...not so stable
but still the best for my choices

LBVagrant

Comments:

Review by skeechan See Profile

• Location: AA169|170
Good "Screaming fast, great business prices, very low latency"
Bad "Nightmare install"
Overall "Worth the wait, fast and cheap"

·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
Pre-sales (5): Door-to-door Verizon rep stopped by the office to let us know they had pulled fiber through the sewer and into the various telco pits so we finally have FiOS. She showed me the rates which were actually cheaper than my existing Verizon+DSL service. So for about $20 more, I bumped from the basic FiOS internet plan to 75/35.

Install (1): Epic fail. Conduit was damaged, that isn't really Verizon's fault, but the CO shutting off my copper THREE DAYS before install was. It took down all of my business phones so I had to scramble to get everything back running temporarily. That was made worse by the worst phone gauntlet is history. Getting the right person on the phone at Verizon is nearly impossible. In total I spend 4 hours talking to various departments trying to get to the person who could restore my phone services. Then engineering came out, then the fiber pullers. The fiber puller didn't complete the job so when the tech came out to hang the ONT, there was far more work to do.

Reliability (5): Verizon service has always been good once it was set up and working

Tech support (1): Getting support on the phone is impossible and unlike many providers, they hold bankers hours, even for business.

Value for money (5): Where else are you going to get BUSINESS 75/35 service for $80? No where.

With the exception of the nightmare install I am very pleased with my FiOS service. What isn't to like? 5-8ms latency, over provisioned speeds (typically see 85Mb/40Mb) and much clearer phones (no more static filled copper lines). Since the installer ran CAT6, no need for their router. They ran it with my existing router without any hassle at all.

Very happy camper.

---
Package 75/35 Business $80/mo, plus 3 voice lines with calling options, total $220/mo+junk fees for everything (Voice+HSI) on a 12 mo contract

Supplied Equipment: Motorola ONT, not using their supplied actiontec router