Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1917 reviews (1452 good) (138 bad)

Review by Libra See Profile

• Location: USA

Previously we had Verizon dsl and satellite tv. I was very satisfied with the dsl, but the Verizon bundles were very good.

We ordered Verizon fios triple play, which gives us internet, tv (the extreme plan) and digital voice phone. I'm not happy about the phone - you lose it in case of a bad storm, etc. but we have another copper line phone in the house.

The installation went pretty smooth. When I ordered it I wanted the newest DVR but the salesman told me I had to order that online for a fee. As the install was being done I tried to order the dvr and wasn't able to. I called Verizon and asked about this. They were very nice and told me they would waive the fee and get me the latest dvr, which they did. I was very happy about this. We had a problem with one tv and they sent someone out out very fast and he brought a newer version of the dvr for that set also. They were very good.

I have good speed and haven't had any problems with the fios internet. The only thing I've noticed is it changes the IP addresses for the computers. DSL didn't do this. I've gotten a notice from Windows twice saying the assigned IP belonged to something else. Windows fixed it immediately.

I'm very satisfied with Verizon fios.

The price I quoted includes some discounts for 18 and 24 months.

Comments:

Review by suggy2004 See Profile

• Location: Conshohocken,Montgomery,PA
Good "Great installers"
Bad "none as of yet"
Overall "Great for the money & options"

Had Verizon DSL for EVER, no problems
Verizon rolled out Fios 3- 4 years ago, waited until now to sign up for it (Still to new)
They advertised there $99 for Quad play, I quickly jumped at it
From order to activation 4 day, order it online late Friday was able to get installed as early as Wednesday, b/c of work I opted for Thursday, Sent them an email they confirmed the date on Sunday
Details of my contract
Total $130.98 Not including fees

Internet is Rock Solid / Tv is Awesome / Phone is Crystal Clear

Rec'd a call the day before install - install take 4 -6 hours
rec'd a call day of - installers will be onsite 12:30 - 1:30
Installers showed up ontime, very professional , very helpful
They had it installed in an hour

Comments:
suggy2004

join:2004-01-07

Grand Total : $178.29

Headed to Comcast / Xfinity for 2 years

Review by dezmoduo See Profile

• Location: Oakland Gardens,Queens,NY
Good "reliable, consistant, fast"
Bad "none yet"

We had 5+ meg down with Time Warner/Earthlink. Our apartment complex was wired for fios very early and we have 3 machines that are in use most of the time.
Downloads don't affect the rest of the LAN anymore.
We don't experience and losses when everyone signs on after dinner like we did with cable.
Included our landline on the fios but NOT the TV. We're 20/5 basic service. Everyone is happy. Price? I dunno, my wife pays the bills. We also have data plans on 3 blackberrys with Verizon.
Yeah, we're addicted.

UPDATE: This summer (2013) we dropped some premium TV stuff, got 50/25 Quantum, and saved 30-40/month. The speeds are consistent and usually clock over the advertised rate. Upload by as much as 10MB.

Comments:

PamJ

@verizon.net

Beeping Battery

Battery for FIOS system (located in garage) was beeping. Beeping means you need a new backup battery. (This one lasted less than 2 years.) Customer service at Verizon quoted $43.98 for a replacement battery. I got a lead on a site where I could get a battery for less. The battery cost me $20.99 with free shipping. There is only a one year warranty, but, at worst, you'd replace battery for still less than Verizon's price. Website: www.replaceupsbattery.com Chat feature on the site is a plus.

Review by Gman200108 See Profile

• Location: Glenmoore,Chester,PA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "Fast, reliable, good pings, no outages, great support & good price."
Bad "None."
Overall "Awesome service for a hardcore internet user, especially with high bandwidth usage applications."

Started out with the triple play bundle. 50/25 internet, HD TV (3 STB's), and digital phone.

Upgraded internet to 75/35.

Now upgraded to 150/65.

Ordering was simple, install took around 2 hours and we were up and running. Running on GPON, fast speeds, reliable, and low pings!
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3103635884

FiOS rocks!

Comments:

Review by banshee See Profile

• Location: Albany,Albany,NY
Good "For me so far everything"
Bad "nothing yet"
Overall "saving 60$ a month, with 50/25 speeds"

So far I'm totally satisfied with FIOS triple play and saving money too boot, at least for 2 years.. The speeds are great and HD nice and crisp, no rebooting my router and TV box once a week like with Time Warner..

It's been a few weeks now, this has been a dream for me, everything just works. The sales person that sold me the package called too see how everything was, that surprised me.. I don't have anything bad too say about Time Warner except too say no more rebooting my box or router and if you live in the Albany area and have a chance too get FIOS, jump at it.. I have the 50/25 package and my download & upload speeds have been right on with much better upload than advertised..

It's been awhile now, still happy with my service and speed. It's more than the speed I'm happy about, one of my neighbors stopped by the other night, he said my SD channels are as clear as his HD channels . He also loved the speed of changing stations on the remote, he also is paying 54$ more than me, but he also has 1 more premium (Showtime) than me. FIOS around me has helped the Time Warner customers, prices has gone down and their speeds has gone up.. Any TW users reading this, better speed and better TV makes for a happy customer.

member for 1 year, 586 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Fishead1
join:2001-05-08
Bronx, NY

Price?

Where you already a Verizon customer?Depending on what TV package you got that price seems a bit steep.
I know if you were just getting started with them they offer a great triple play package down here in the Bronx.
I was able to get 50/25 internet,Phone,and Prime TV package(which is all I need) for $ 82 @ month and a $200 debit card.Contract os for 2 years.
banshee

join:2013-06-17
Albany, NY

Re: Price?

They said 121 or there abouts but after the tax the includes Cin HBO, rental of the boxes, I got the extreme package, I was paying 236 with Time Warner.
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

Stb

Yea probobaly because he is renting few stbs then add taxes etc..

Review by Bobby100 See Profile

• Location: Centreville,Fairfax,VA
Good "awesome speed"
Bad "none, so far"
Overall "get it, if you can"

Upgraded to 15/2 service, television. Internet speed is great, but probably overkill for most surfing and emailing type stuff. It is nice to get songs from iTunes in a matter on seconds, but really what's a minute or 2 difference. TV is a different story. Intermitently, I get pixelaztion, but I have not been able to determine if it's cable channel trouble, or a FiOS system trouble. Otherwise, it works great.

UPDATE: Upgraded to HD with the HD-DVR. The HD picture is awesome, Verizon just needs to add more channels. I have read that NoVa area will be getting more channels soon, just don't know when. The Motorola DVR is somewhat problematic. At least twice it has fouled up to the point where the remote fails to do anything. In both instances, the cure was to remove the power cord to reset it. Another annoying problem is the responsiveness of the IPG. It feels like it's a half second behind when changing channels at a fast rate. I'm hoping a software upgrade will cure the small problem. Mostly annoyances, but not deal breakers....

UPDATE #2 Recently upgraded again to 25/25. Still no problems. Fantastic upload speed makes updating Picasa albums a breeze.

Update #3 moved to 50/25 plan, and still loving FiOS. Replaced 160Gb DVR with 500Gb device for added storage. Running out of disk space while on vacation is not a problem. My only request would be to add HD channels for H2 and DIY

member for 13.8 years, 3856 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by bbtech6650 See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA
Good "Fast, Reliable"
Bad "Order to install longer than DSL, Actiontec wireless internet half-speed"
Overall "Great Service"

UPDATE: 11/12/2013

I had upgraded to 75/35 in 2012. Service is still very reliable. Patiently waiting for IPv6 to be activated.

UPDATE: 02/23/2011

Some time since the last update I upgraded to 25/25 Internet and dropped my home Verizon phone service. I've had my ONT swapped due to RF failure and data but no video service. Other than the freak problem with the ONT I've had 0 down-time.

UPDATE: 08/31/2009
Speeds still the same as ordered (20/5) No down time since the last update. I'm still really happy with the service.

UPDATE: 11/07/2008

I don't download much but I just downloaded a 1.4gb file at 2.39MB/s Needless to say, I'm very happy still with my service.

Ordered new service 7/18/08, received install date on last week of August.

Install date came, scheduled 8am-12pm tech called and was on-site at around 9am. Tech ran fiber drop and used the new Motorola JI ONT (ONT for use inside, mounted in the basement) installation was finished around 1pm.

I have all 3 services via Fios, the Internet package is 20/5 of which my speed tests are a mostly constant 19/4.9Mbps.

Comments:

Review by tooch See Profile

• Location: Bradley Beach,Monmouth,NJ
Good "Faster speed than advertised."
Bad "Gets slightly pricier after one year"
Overall "A good deal, probably better than the cable company in your area."

Plan: It's a promotion; 35/35, Ultimate HD with Showtime for one year, ~$95/mo with taxes for year one, then I think ~$110/mo taxes for year two.

Internet: Speed is great! I had Cablevision for three weeks and canceled it because I was paying for Boost Plus (50/8) and getting an average of about 30-35/7.5. FiOS supposedly gives you a speed bump on the download side if you subscribe to TV, so my speeds are 42/33-35 depending on speed test.

TV: We don't really watch it but it's a better value to add it into your plan. Channels are good and the menus/channel changing are a lot faster than Cablevision.

---------------------------
February 2012

Downgraded to 25/25, internet only, since we weren't watching TV. $75/mo with taxes. Only problem we had was reps trying to re-sell us to TV because they couldn't believe that we really don't watch TV that much. Also, the 35/35 tier was surprisingly overkill for me. I rarely uploaded at a full 35Mbps and only downloaded from websites at 35Mbps a handful of times.

---------------------------
November 2013

Upgraded to 50/25 + local channels because with a two year contract it came out to $60/mo, or $15/mo cheaper than the 25/25 internet only for $75/mo. The 50/25, being that we have a video package, comes out to 58/38 which is a nice bonus.

The local channels were also a surprise, because I was expecting the basic national broadcast networks plus a couple local NJ stations, and we actually get 95 stations. Sure, most are crap/filler, and some aren't technically "stations" (10 or so channels of non-stop commercial loops for TV services?) but regardless, 95 is still a lot. I don't even need a receiver for them (despite the best efforts of uninformed sales reps saying otherwise); my TV has the QAM digital tuner required for receiver-less viewing.

Again from my previous reviews, I had two reps try to upsell me to a higher TV package when I called in with a question, a mere ten minutes after activating my new package.

Comments:

Review by Mahalo See Profile

• Location: united state
Good "Installation & Service"
Bad "Remote for TV"
Overall "Great Package"

Ordering service

I had to place the order a couple of times. The first time I placed the order for tv/net service it was placed under one order and it needed to be done under two separate orders since my employer would be paying for the net. As a result, when my employer tried to call and provide the billing info for the net part the order had to be cancelled to make two separate orders. If your employer will be paying for the net part, I suggest that you have all the payment information available at the time you place the order to prevent any delays or confusion.

Pre-installation

The day before the installation a rep came out to bury the line to the house. You can hardly tell where they laid the line.

Installation

The rep was a guy that was just out of the army. He stated that Verizon put him through a 2 month training program and few weeks of ride along before he was turn loose to perform installations. Very nice guy and did a good job with the installation and communicating to me what would be done.

I have heard that if you order both tv & net that you may get two reps during the installation. Tom (my rep) informed me that all the FIOS reps in this area will perform both tv & net installation. He stated the installation process is not perfected yet and they are writing the book as they go.

Service (Net)

I was previously a BrightHouse user and you will not hear me bashing them in this review for net service. BH always provided a great service and I only had one issue with connectivity. Speed was the only real draw back of BH. If I was playing a game or downloading a file, my wife would notice degradation in voice quality on the phone (Vonage). With 15/2 I don’t think I will have a problem any more. Speed test so far show 15000/1800.

Service (TV)

This is where BH is falling short. The quality of the video with Verizon is amazing. The local channels (not in HD) blow the same channels on BH away. There is a reason Verizon uses the slogan "Grab the light", it is night and day in the quality. The quality on all the other channels is even better. The channel line-up is better as well. Verizon did a good job of grouping the channels together. If you want sports, they are all in one block, movies in another and so on.

Update 9/6/2006

When I got home last night I was promptly met by a BH rep in my driveway. Apparently they are sending out their customer service reps to go door-to-door to check on how they are doing with their service. I informed him that I switched over to FIOS on Fri and provided him with a summary of my review above. Later that evening my neighbor down the street called me about my FIOS service. Apparently the same rep went to his house and my buddy wanted to compare prices. BH gave him the movies channels (HBO, Showtime, etc) for free and lowered his price by $10 bucks. I guess competition is good, but, why was BH not knocking on my door 6 months ago when they were the only provider in the area????? I guess the bleeding is just getting to bad for BH in my area.

In regards to the FIOS service, I was downloading the full BF2 1.4 patch last night and my wife complained that she lost sound on Big Brother (in HD). It worked fine when we flipped over to the regular channel.

9/8/2006 Update

Well maybe the downloading of the file was not causing the sound loss. Last night I was watching the evening news and I would notice a 1-2 sec break in the voice about every 20 mins on the HD channel and the shows my wife recorded would only play for a little while and stop. So today I called Verizon support and they performed a reinitialize of the DVR in hopes that it would correct the issue.

A little about reaching a support tech. If you don’t have a phone with Verizon, the auto-attendant makes it hard to get to a support rep. They have my cell number on file but when I tried to use that number it was unable to pull up my account. You have to go through about 10 prompts to finally get transferred to an actual person. Once I got someone everything was fine.

9/13/2006 Update

Still having problems with the DVR. Made one more call to tech support after the one mentioned above and issue continued. When I called last night I requested a replacement of the DVR since the previous two attempts did not resolve the issue. The tech was happy to schedule a tech to come to the house and replace the unit as well as perform some line quality test.

A little more about reaching a support tech. Still no better making it through the auto-attendant, but, I have found that you could be routed to two different places based on your selection. I usually do my responses as yes, no, no, yes, yes or something like that and I get routed to call center. This time I did something a little different and I got someone that was not in the call center. She was in a NY office. She then transferred me to Encore FIOS (in NY) group and then was transferred to someone in VA. All the reps stayed on the phone until I was transferred to next person instead of doing a blind transfer and all were very nice. Overall, I would have rather gotten the call center instead because the total call lasted 53 mins. I am usually on the phone with the call center no longer than 20 mins.

About the ActionTec router. The router has more features than the usual router and you can find a few sites that are helpful with most configurations. I find that the wireless signal strength is no better than the Linksys router that I used previously. I did have to setup port forwarding so my BF2 game would work, which I did not need to do when I was using my Linksys router. BF2 was not listed as pre-setup port forwarding option, but BF 1942 was, so I had to configure all the ports myself.

Updated 9/16

Two techs were at my house promptly at 8am. One began testing the signal on the lines and the other began working on the DVR. The signal to the DVR was at the lower end of the operating requirements so they changed out the filter to bump it up to the next level. The DVR was replaced with another unit. Watched HD channels almost all weekend and did not have any sound breaks. Techs provided me with 100ft of Cat5 line so I could do a drop to my computer and were off to another 10 hr day.

I'm dropping the Tech Support to a 4 due to all the problems I have had reaching them in the previous updates.

member for 13.5 years, 3034 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by BosstonesOwn See Profile

• Location: Wakefield,Middlesex,MA
Good "awesome install tech and great tech support to switch from moca to ethernet"
Bad "none yet"
Overall "great value. awesome speed for a great price"

Ordered 75/35 since I'm in a legacy area they can't get me faster. However the speed is close to 100 mbit once I got off moca.

Order to install was 3 days. The technician they sent out had to run a new fiber drop. The old one was broken by the previous owners. It took 2 hours total and that included him setting up my remote.

member for 11.6 years, 3735 visits, last login: a few minutes ago