Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1955 reviews (1464 good) (148 bad)

Review by amarryat See Profile

• Location: Marshfield,Plymouth,MA
Good "Internet reliability & stability, HD TV"
Bad "Expensive, and still climbing"
Overall "awesome"

35/35 internet totally consistent.

4 years with one outage for several hours. Reliability is fantastic.

Steadily getting more expensive. Was $180/month, now I'm paying $210/month

Update 9/2014 - even more money, but this is what I got:
1). Higher speed - 50/50
2). Quantum - one central DVR with more capacity than the combined two DVRs from before, and client boxes that are smaller than the original set top boxes.
3). At some point along the way, they updated my router for free to the "N" wifi version. However it's still nowhere near as nice as 3rd party routers you can buy on your own such as the ASUS and Netgear flagships. Therefore I'm still using my own router to do wifi at home.
4). My ONT in the basement had to be replaced because it got fried somehow. What is strange is that they moved the battery from the fried ONT into the new ONT, and this is the original battery from 2008??? I thought they only lasted a few years.

So I'm happy with the upgrades.

member for 9.8 years, 3038 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by KoolMoe See Profile

• Location: Annapolis,Anne Arundel,MD
Good "Delivers what it should"
Bad "It's Verizon"
Overall "Good enough to make me sell-out"

Had SE DSL, varies versions of for past few years. Was expensive but always generally happy with it.

Then VZ put fiber in my 'hood. For the cost of bundling TV, phone, and 'net (about $130/month incl taxes/fees), I get faster service (5/2 instead of 5/768) and save about $90/month over SE, Comcast, and VZ POTS.

Installers were a great pair and did the house as requested. Spent a solid 5 or 6 hours here. Totally competent process.

'Net speed is consistent and a little over-provisioned as opposed to SE's under-provisioning. The router is ridiculous and seems to need rebooting once a week to fix routing or something (house computers get timeouts to the net - though TV still works), but a mild hassle. I don't like VZ's DNS redirect page either. Tried OpenDNS but had spotty results.

TV reception is great on SD and HD TVs. The guide still kinda sucks and I can't believe they still don't do 'cool' things like caller ID on the TV...but for TV, it's great (VOD could have more of a free movie selection).

No worries on the phone - all seems to work fine. Nice to have Caller ID, etc included.

The battery backup barely lasted 8 hours on a recent outage with minimal phone usage, no net usage. Lame. If a concern, have other battery backups.

Overall, totally worth it. Too bad the advent of FIOS really hasn't brought down prices overall - when my two year contract is up, I think prices will go up to where I was before...And I hate that I'm giving all money to Verizon (argh).

But no regrets so far overall. Way to go VZ on delivering a solid product.

Update: 5/21/09
Got the router swapped for a newer model of that same huge Actiontech a couple months ago. Definitely seemed to help the daily drops. It still happens, seems to be related to lots of net activity from the various computers in the house (NAT/routing table?) but only once every couple weeks, definitely a lot less than before.

Also a couple months ago, heard VZ had bumped the standard connection in my area to 10/2. I called to upgrade, which required adding a year to my contract. Since I've never seen prices actually come down since I've had broadband, more than happy to 'lock in' my current pricing for another year. I'd like to see that happen again - another standard boost to, say, 15/5, I upgrade, and add another year at the same cost.

I'm finding it harder and harder to dislike Verizon.

Absolutely no issues with the phone, though we still use an answering machine and not the voicemail (old habits). TV is still pretty good. More occasional pixelation, likely as more users in the 'hood hook-up, and the guide STILL sucks and is inaccurate, and still a rather lame VOD (well, lame free VOD). But, still, definitely pleased with the service overall.

Update: 9/14/14
Still with FIOS. Comcast's offering is competitive but I'm pretty happy with FIOS service overall.
There was some mysterious outage a couple weeks ago just in our neighborhood. Rumor was a dump truck snagged the line a couple streets over. It took TWO DAYS to fix. That made me mad. What, not enough linemen on the job anymore? Two days would be like post-hurricane response time around here.
Super hassle too as I work from home, so had to go to local library for those two days. I love the library but not working there 8+ hours.
They did credit my account $8 :P and I'll likely stick with them, as long as this doesn't happen often. That was really unacceptable response time for a downed local line.

Speed is now 15/15, though most recent speedtest.net test shows 24/13mbps. That's great for our home; work-from-home, Xbox, wife and kids on their own computers.
TV guide is better; the SD box is super slow, HD box acceptable. They reorganize channels more then I'd like and they just dropped BBC America from our under-contract package! Can they do that? A call to complain is on the list...

Overall, 4 out of 5 so far.

member for 14 years, 5149 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mdbrotha03 See Profile

• Location: Fort Belvoir,Fairfax,VA
Good "Consistantly getting the rated speed"
Bad "WiFi router they provided only broadcast at the 2.4Ghz range."
Overall "Best ISP I have ever had."

$122 Includes basic FIOS HD TV no DVR, 1 box.

From day 1 of my install I have been testing my internet connection. I have yet to get a speed test below 145Mbps unless I did the speed test to a server in Europe or Asia.
It has been 22 days since its been on. I am not accustom to having consistent speed tests. Pings to the nearest server are usually between 6-8ms. Only 1 problem. The WiFi router.

I live on a military base. Everyone has FIOS. Everyone receives a wireless router that broadcast on the 2.4 GHz frequency range. There aren't enough channels for the amount of routers broadcasting.
This has cause my 802.11n 2.4ghz WiFi speed to be only a third of the speed of my desktop connected via Ethernet(around 50mbps).

The fix, which I already had all the equipment needed was to install two 5Ghz 802.11n access points in the house. I only have 3 devices that can connect to those signals but 2 of them happen to be smart phones; so I placed 1 access point upstairs and the other downstairs. From my phone I am getting about 2/3rds of my rated speed.(around 100mbps)

Now in September I am still getting the speeds I paid for.

Comments:

no2verizon

@152.179.223.x

Horrible Experience

This is outrageous! WOW! Verizon should be awarded the WORST provider in home entertainment. My experience with this company has been nothing but problems, rude staff who like to hang up on their customers, transfer calls without letting the customer know that they are being transfered, no representative has been through proper training in my opinion. Each time I would call it would always be a different story, half the time the service would not work but I give Verizon an applause for always being on top of over charging and sending the bill on time. Too many hidden fees that reps will not let you know and at the end they will blame the customer. I would NEVER recommend this service to anyone, not even my damn enemy!

no2verizon

@152.179.223.x

Re: Horrible Experience

OH forgot to mention that my first bill came up to more than $200 FOR ONLY INTERNET!
mdbrotha03

join:2002-03-28
Lanham, MD
Your experience may have sucked but mines has been positive. Your first bill was high due to prorated billing and your router purchase.

Also your comments have nothing to do with this review. If you truly have issues with their billing contact the Better Business Bureau.
xQim

join:2003-09-20

2 edits

Re: Horrible Experience

My apologies. Not the best excuse but having bad ADHD doesn't help. I could read your review ten times and forget what you wrote or misinterpret. Sorry.

You sure do get overly defensive and agitated though. Sorry to ruin your day.
mdbrotha03

join:2002-03-28
Lanham, MD

Re: Horrible Experience

Your statements came off as sarcasm and insulted my setup. You got my first reaction to your statement.
xQim

join:2003-09-20
Sorry again. Yes, I come across quite sarcastic and cynical. It works out to be funny sometimes, but makes things worse (in this case) more often than not.

Review by Typical See Profile

• Location: 07922-1830
Good "Good picture and sound for TV. Excellent line quality for ISP"
Bad "Rare speed drop"
Overall "Very Good"

·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER
After ten years with Comcast, and now that FIOS is available in my neighborhood, I decided to move to FIOS. Actually, Comcast’s poor performance (line quality and people service) forced me to make the decision. Either way, I am happy to have made the move.

The FIOS installation of the TV-ISP service took only half-day. During the past three days that I have had FIOS, I have noticed the following:

TV – The picture is much sharper than what Comcast used to provide. The sound quality is significantly superior to Comcast.

ISP – My service is 50/25, although for the first two days of the service, I was getting a consistent 58/28. PhonePower, which is my VOIP provider, gave the line quality an A+

Small problems – During the installation, the FIOS technician drilled too close to one of my power lines and stripped the insulation off of it. I am in the process of having an electrician fix the damaged power line. Also, after a heavy rain, the line quality went down to 15/10. Now that things are drying up, the quality is moving back up. I have written to FIOS, hoping that FIOS would make sure that the line quality does not go down after every rain.

Hoping that FIOS can take care of both of these problems (quickly and efficiently), I will cautiously say that I am very happy with FIOS

First month update.

Installation Damage – After all sorts of delay tactics, the installation department reluctantly reimbursed the cost of repair for the damage.

TV- I am still impressed by how much the sound quality, and the picture quality (SD and HD), are better than Comcast.

ISP – I called tech support a few times regarding occasional degradation of line quality. The first two tech support reps tried to convince me that either I am imagining the problem or that the problem is entirely my fault because I am not a “high end” ISP user. Finally, I ended up speaking with a competent tech support rep, who ran a few tests, shared the results with a Verizon network specialist, and made the appropriate changes to the network configuration of my neighborhood. Since then, the line quality has been better than 50/25 virtually all of the time. Occasionally, probably less than 3% of the time, the line quality drops to 25/25.

All told, I am a happy customer. Once these initial irritations become distant memories, I might even become a very happy customer.

Update after two years.

The ISP and TV have been excellent for the past two years. There was a couple of short (half hour) service interruptions, but the service has been reliable. All told, the physical service is excellent.

On the people side of service, the customer service is pretty good, although it always takes a while until you can get hold of someone. I have used the online chat service a few times, and I have found them to be a total waste of time (mine and theirs). Their responses are highly scripted, and are useful only for very minor uncomplicated questions.

As for the billing/accounting service, it is absolutely pathetic. The website is very kludgee and frequently makes errors in recording requests and payments. Interestingly enough, these errors are always on the side of over-charging the customer, and none of them is on the side of under-charging the customer. On two separate occasions, I had to seek help from the "supervisor of the supervisor" in order to resolve the overcharge issue. Even then, it took about 2.5 months to resolve the issue.

Comments:

capt jack

@verizon.net

line getting wet?

Please explain line quality?The fiber optic line to your home is not affected by the elements!

Pepsiman

join:2002-01-18
Brooklyn, NY

Re: line getting wet?

My ONT
said by capt jack :

Hi capt jack,
I am no expert on this matter but let me ask you this, is your optical network terminal (ONT) »Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What is ONT: Optical Network Terminal?
located outside your premise? I thinking maybe there is water getting into the ONT, my ONT was installed inside my garage and never had a problem with speeds, you might want to check into that, again I am no tech so I can't really be sure about this.
I hope they can clear this problem up for you.

Review by Jerome925 See Profile

• Location: Denton,Denton,TX
Good "Symmetrical speeds (or better). Low latency. Fast!"
Bad "DNS Redirection (can be changed). CS/Billing Issues."
Overall "Get it if it's in your area!"

·Nortex Communica..
*** NEW 2014 REVIEW FOR 76207 ***
***

We moved to a home in north Denton, which already had FiOS service (built in 2008). I originally "tested" the 150/150 Mbps package, mainly to have a GPON-capable ONT installed in place of the dirty, older BPON unit. The original BPON unit was pretty nasty, especially the ethernet port, which still had the protective goo but was caked with dirt and some dog hair. I'm not sure I could have even made a connection with it, which is important to me for reduced latency. I ran a Belden 1700A Cat5e 100 foot cable from the existing hole in the garage under the ONT to a front room with a large window- the "office". I don't recommend spending time in a hot attic in mid-August Texas, but I just had to do it!

The installer was a nice guy, and arrived on time on the scheduled day. He quickly unmounted the BPON unit and installed the GPON unit in its place. He also secured the fiber line outside the garage, since it had come detached and was hanging out, with the sheath wire exposed (he cut that off). The install looks much better than before. My one regret with the install is that I didn't go with him to check out the OLT. He went to the end of our street to install a card? AFAIK, and I would have liked to see what the inside of the OLT looks like and the BPON->GPON upgrade procedure.

The speeds are above stated, and pings are low. I can ping my server in Dallas @ 5 ms. The service tested consistently 160 Mbps+ up/down on the 150 package. I downgraded from 150/150 to 50/50 the day after the install, but a few days later couldn't resist the upgrade to 75/75 for $10 more. I'm paying about $70/month incl. taxes for 75/75 (tests 84/93), which I think is about the best you can do currently in the US. There is an issue with the default VZ DNS redirecting bad addresses, but the last octet can be changed to 14 instead of 12 to get around that.

HOWEVER, CS/Billing has been a Pain to deal with. When I downgraded, and again when I upgraded, they sent me a new router. By the time I got to 75/75, I had three ActionTec Rev I routers (why would I need more than one and why would they not know I have one?). One of them they charged as a Rental and the other two as Buy. I was able to get the rental router taken off but haven't been able to get one of the Buy option routers off the bill. I returned two of them unopened almost a month ago, so I'm not sure why the adjustments haven't been made yet. Time will tell but I dread contacting them again, less I receive yet another router and charge. I'm not even using the first ActionTec and replaced it with an Asus RT-N66U (no problem there, and get max speed using 5 GHz).

*** ORIGINAL ARCHIVED REVIEW FROM 2007 FOR DIFFERENT LOCATION (76226) ***
***

Ordered 5/2 FiOS package on Friday, 7/27/2007. First month free. Months 2-7 -$10. $25 Target gift card (oh boy!).

Our VZ DSL had gone to crap in the past week. We went from a consistent 1.5 Mbps/384 Kbps to about half (with high latency to boot). The noise margin dropped from 14.5 dB to about 5 dB seemingly overnight (not a storm). I think it was an intentional change by VZ to get us on FiOS. If so, it worked.

Contractor for VZ came to trench on Tuesday, 7/31. Took them about 2 1/2 hours. They did a good job. Verizon Hooked up and installed the (complete all-in-one w/ backup battery) ONT inside the garage on Friday, 8/3; they were done in about the same time as it took the trenchers. They didn't tell us much about the install and kept to themselves. We already had a Cat5e installed to where we wanted the router. It went outside the garage, as we did not know they would install an all-in-one box on the inside. If I had known, I would not have run the line outside.

I also wasn't aware that they would only hook up one of our POTS line to the ONT. We had the main line hooked in to the ONT and the other two (office and fax) left as is. I would have preferred the office hooked in to the ONT but I didn't realize until after they had left.

Speed tests:

5133/1889 from testmy.net
5062/1837 from DSLR to SF, CA

First hop 4-5ms. Latency in Counter-Strike: Source is super-low; lower than our VZ DSL on fast path. First 100 servers or so range from 7-15ms.

I took the ActionTec router out as soon as they installed and got it running. I put our Belkin Pre-N Wireless router with MIMO (MAC address from VZ router cloned) up high in its place where we terminated the Cat5e. Computers get a much better signal with the Belkin.

Overall pleased initially with the service.

Comments:

Review by Jemand See Profile

• Location: Richmond,Henrico,VA
Good "Fast, 99.99% uptime, Price"
Bad "Support and billing issues"
Overall "Comcast can't touch the symetrical speeds"

I got a 2 year price lock for 69.99 (non contract) for Preferred HD and 50/50.

Comments:

garush

@71.127.212.x

switch from DSL to Fios

Given many many promises from Verizon. Still have slow youtube and everything else. No truth to Verizon claims and no follow up with comparative speed. - cause it is poor!

dodgetech2

join:2002-01-01
Gouldsboro, PA

symetrical is a joke

Your right, Comcast cant touch the symmetrical speeds....but at least with Comcast I could watch Netflix and You Tube......I have a 75/75 line and both of those services are useless on FIOS....Ill be back on Comcast as soon as my contact is up...you can count on that!

Review by AhnHEL See Profile

• Location: Bayside,Queens,NY
Good "Upload speeds and Ping latency is superior to Cable."
Bad "Pricing can always be better"
Overall "A step above cable."

On the GPON 75/75 plan and receiving 83/92 with over provisioning. Came from TWC Maxx, and very impressed with service thus far. Installation went smoothly and within the install time window. Symmetrical speeds are a vast improvement despite losing a very fast download speed when I was on TWC Maxx. Requested a Ethernet install from the ONT which was provided without hassle and allowed me to use my own Router and leave the FIOS router as secondary for my STBs.

Highly recommend over Cable.

Comments:

Review by tooch See Profile

• Location: Bradley Beach,Monmouth,NJ
Good "Faster speed than advertised."
Bad "Gets slightly pricier after one year"
Overall "A good deal, probably better than the cable company in your area."

Plan: It's a promotion; 35/35, Ultimate HD with Showtime for one year, ~$95/mo with taxes for year one, then I think ~$110/mo taxes for year two.

Internet: Speed is great! I had Cablevision for three weeks and canceled it because I was paying for Boost Plus (50/8) and getting an average of about 30-35/7.5. FiOS supposedly gives you a speed bump on the download side if you subscribe to TV, so my speeds are 42/33-35 depending on speed test.

TV: We don't really watch it but it's a better value to add it into your plan. Channels are good and the menus/channel changing are a lot faster than Cablevision.

February 2012

Downgraded to 25/25, internet only, since we weren't watching TV. $75/mo with taxes. Only problem we had was reps trying to re-sell us to TV because they couldn't believe that we really don't watch TV that much. Also, the 35/35 tier was surprisingly overkill for me. I rarely uploaded at a full 35Mbps and only downloaded from websites at 35Mbps a handful of times.

November 2013

Upgraded to 50/25 + local channels because with a two year contract it came out to $60/mo, or $15/mo cheaper than the 25/25 internet only for $75/mo. The 50/25, being that we have a video package, comes out to 58/38 which is a nice bonus.

The local channels were also a surprise, because I was expecting the basic national broadcast networks plus a couple local NJ stations, and we actually get 95 stations. Sure, most are crap/filler, and some aren't technically "stations" (10 or so channels of non-stop commercial loops for TV services?) but regardless, 95 is still a lot. I don't even need a receiver for them (despite the best efforts of uninformed sales reps saying otherwise); my TV has the QAM digital tuner required for receiver-less viewing.

Again from my previous reviews, I had two reps try to upsell me to a higher TV package when I called in with a question, a mere ten minutes after activating my new package.

17 August 2014

Just received the free upgrade to symmetrical speeds this afternoon. 50/50 becomes 58/61 with fluff. Now at 58/61 + local channels for the same price of $60/mo.

member for 7.4 years, 616 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by iwnt14me See Profile

• Location: Chesapeake,Chesapeake City,VA
Good "NOTHING BETTER IN THIS AREA"
Bad "None at this time"
Overall "Beats Cox's Communications Hands Down"

UPDATED 08/06/2014

FIOS working great tested media server and returned due to tivo preference. I now have a 150/150 package as part of triple play. I have 2 tivo roamio's pro, 2 sling boxes, 4 mini's, and one vulkano and have no streaming issues. in near future may test the 500/500 offering. the down time has been none so overall I am happy.

************************************************************************************************

Updated 02/26/2009

I have the 20/20 package and have added a sling box as well. I have had no service outages for any of the triple play services. I have personally converted most of my apartment complex to FIOS. I know that in my complex we are now working on our forth splitter and when ever i see a moving truck I have no problems sharing my bad Cox's experiences and what a great service FIOS is.

Updated 08/24/2008

Been almost three months and have only had one issue and that was a result of Tivo. Verizon pushed their new HD channels and realigned almost all of their channels in the process. So for one evening my 7 Tivos recorded some strange programs. I have upgraded to the 20 / 20. I have managed to convinced 21 people so far in my complex to drop Cox and go to this service. The picture quality is unreal. I also used the refer a friend option with my neighbors and have received the maximum of 12 each $50.00 gift checks that I can apply to my bill. That means at this rate my first 6 months are costing me about $24.00 a month which is a steal. On all of my speed tests i have exceeded the 20 / 20. If your are in the Newport News, Virginia area and can get Fios I say drop Cavalier, Cox, Directv. I have only had Cox's service and it was in most cases worse then Charter and Suddenlink. I have had no billing issues to date and when I have called in the people I have spoken to were nice and quite knowledgeable.

***********************************************************************************************Ordered the triple play on Thursday May 28 around lunch time. and was given an install date of May 29th time window of 8-12. I was like wow technician showed up at my door at 10 am called me about an hour before to let me know his arrival time. This is in a MDU and form the time the work started in the MDU to my activation was 4 weeks plus. He did an excellent job installing ONT and running the required wires in the MDU. I was very impressed. He set up all three of my HD Tivos with cable cards single stream since they apparently dont have dual stream cards yet here. That was only draw back I had to take 6 single stream cards. I will contact the business office to see if they dual stream and if any one knows please hit me up and tell me. Overall I wish I had this 18 months ago Cox's service here in the MDU was really bad and they did not care. I plan to go door to door and let me neighbors know and come in look at the HD. Took 15/15 data plan

10/21/2011 FIOS 35/35 No problems with service worked great through hurricane. I did have a router die this week and I jumped on an open network connection and worked with the online help group and was done in 10 minutes.

02/03/2013 update

Fios has been outstanding and they seem to have corrected their customer service issue / billing issues so it has only gotten better. I also know that they have started to overlay more area in the hampton roads area with fios

upgraded to quantum 150/65 process took less than 2 hours. test well above advertised speeds as always verizon fios superior for just $7.50 more a week.

member for 14.3 years, 2207 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

isp10002

join:2012-10-24

^.^

Id love to see some speed tests.

Review by mikev See Profile

• Location: Leesburg,Loudoun,VA
Good "Rock-solid internet connection, no TV issues"
Bad "Slow internet speeds offered in my MDU"
Overall "A great service that is worth every penny."

·Callcentric
I have nothing but good things to say about Verizon FiOS for nearly every aspect of their service. Internet service was always available, TV signals were good and reliable, and everything worked.

The only area I will complain about is the fact that they have old equipment in the MDU building I live in, and the maximum speed I could get from them is 30Mbps down. I only opted for 20Mbps because I was getting 25Mbps from it, but when I upgraded to 30, I only got 28Mbps. When your competitor is offering 50, or even 100, Mbps down, 20 or 30 seems like nothing. If they ever get around to upgrading their equipment so I can get faster speeds, I'll definitely consider switching back. But for now, the competitor has my business.

member for 12.8 years, 926 visits, last login: a few hours ago