Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1931 reviews (1456 good) (142 bad)

Review by cchhat01 See Profile

• Location: Elmhurst,Queens,NY
Good "Consistent speeds, speedtest are always fast, always on, 0 downtime"
Bad "none that i can think of at the moment"
Overall "get it if you can (afford it)!"

·RCN CABLE
·Earthlink Cable ..
So I've had Verizon FIOS since Jun 2013. I only subscribe to their internet service as I am locked down to DISH Network for their TV package for a couple of years.

I have their 50/25 package and pay $49.99 per month. Recently, Verizon sneaked in a $1 fee and as such my bill has increased by a dollar but that's about it.

So far, we've had about 7 months of reliable service with ZERO downtime. I am really impressed. I previously had RCN Cable and was really frustrated with their peak-time slowdowns for nearly 6 months. Nothing was being done to fix these slowdowns and therefore, so I just pulled the trigger. I am paying a higher price (about $15/month more for introductory year) but the consistency of FIOS is the difference.

I've not really experienced any slowdowns. Speed tests are always consistently around the 58/38 Mbps range (added fluff).

I sometimes feel that there are peering issues slowdowns where certain sites load slowly at certain times in the day. And some sites I've noted are slower on FIOS than on cable (wikidevi.com for example). Not sure why. But overall I am satisfied. I am not sure I will continue service after the 1 year period as its simply not something I can afford to pay $80+ for 50/25 service. I will definitely try calling them around the 11 month mark and discuss continuing at the same rate for an additional year but I'm not holding my breath.

YouTube HD and Netflix SuperHD streams without any hiccups (so far).

Pre-sales: I'm rating this category as 3-star because of their "add-on-bogus-fee" tactics and here's why. I completed most of my pre-sales online and ultimately when it was time to select a date for installation, I decided to save the configuration and gave the sales team a call to see if there were any earlier dates available for install (sooner than the date available on their online calendar). They were accommodating and gave me an earlier date. Great. However, when I received an email confirming the install date, they added an install fee of $39.99 spread over 3 months. WTF? I called back and disputed it, clearly stating that this was wasn't present before. Their response was, we cannot remove this at the moment. However, after the install, they would credit me for the fee. Not happy with the response, I called again and tried speaking with another rep and again was told the same thing. I cancelled the order. Wasted a couple of days of time. Ultimately ordered FIOS completely online. No finagling with the billing etc by their reps. Everything was pretty smooth this time. Bottom line, If you can get the deals without calling customer care, ORDER ONLINE and save yourself from the low-balling of their sales team trying to sell you something you may not want. Of course, do this if you're well informed of what you want.

Install: Fantastic. The guy showed up very early (around 8AM). Was very courteous. I had a pre-wired FIOS installation from when we "tried" and cancelled before. I had also ran my own Shielded CAT5 cable from the ONT to my router. I told him I was not planning on using their router because of lack of 5GHz and the limited bandwidth on the 2.4Ghz Wifi. He was quite impressed with my WDS setup. He said that if I had wanted, he would have run a CAT5 cable himself (since I was getting JUST their internet services). Since all of the hard work was already done on a previous install, this was just a plug and play install for him and he was in-and-out in less than 20-25 minutes. Service was blazing fast since the first run.

Connection reliabilty: Has been rock solid (knock-on-wood) since install. Speed-tests are consistent. I have set up DSLR Smokepings several times and I barely see any packet loss through out my 14day smokeping. If your setup is in good shape, you will not have to worry about connectivity. THIS is why people want and go with FIOS. Because it is very consistent. No peak-time slowdowns (YET).

One odd thing that I have seen is that if I release and renew my IP through the router, there are about 10ms of discrepancies between the "Line Quality" test from lq2.dslreports.com based on the IP pool I am in and I have yet to determine the cause of this problem. So I wrote a script that releases-then-renews and checks pings to DSLR lq1 & lq2 until I am satisfied with the ping timings. If you have no idea what I am talking about, don't worry about it.

Tech Support: Its hard to rank them here because I have not needed to call them, EVER. But at a point in our previous usage of FIOS, we had to call them in for switching from COAX to CAT5 data on the ONT and they switched us over fairly quickly.

Value for money: I say this is the best thing you can get in my neighborhood. Sure Cable companies advertise similar speeds for less but in my experience, they dont come anywhere near FIOS. I don't have to deal with peak-time slowdowns. However it does become quite expensive after the first year so it is something for me to think about. I'll cross that bridge when I have to.

I will try to update my review whenever I get a chance to do so over the course of time.

thanks,

cchhat01

member for 13.4 years, 3762 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Xanax3MG

@verizon.net

Quantum 500 is Amazing

I have a USA Office in Zip Code 11530 -- Long Island, New York. I am connected by Verizon (FIOS) Quantum.

I have consistent local speeds of 500-525/100-115 Mbps. On SpeedTest.Net, I connected to the SoftLayer DataCentre in Amsterdam, Netherlands. I got a connection of 465 Mbps. inbound and uploaded at my full 100 Mbps. I need the speed to manage domestic and foreign dedicated servers.
I'm astounded. This is the very fastest Internet connectivity in North America that I have ever seen.
NYC Girl
join:2007-02-04
Bronx, NY

This is how they make their money. You sign up for one package with all kinds of discounts and when you get the comfirmation email there's a different price which has INCREASED.

I was thinking of switchjng back to optimum; HOWEVER, internet speed choices are either 15, 50 or 101. What Fios doesn't charge for optimum does, which makes up for the taxes optimum doesn't charge (20.00) from Fios.

They all suck and they know we need them.

anonomeX

@comcast.net

Funny thing...

When I got FiOS 7 years ago (early 2007), it was cheaper than cable and way faster. Now speed is almost irrelevant and pricing is fairly equivalent. FiOS also used to be completely reliable with no issues in getting to any sites (Netflix etc.); now there are nothing but issues (not technical issues really, just Verizon being penurious). I've switched [back] to Comcast and getting the same speeds for half the price (promo, but still cheaper for the next 2 years). For the most part Comcast has been very reliable in my area--no worse than FiOS. (Frankly, all Verizon had to do to keep me as a customer was to not jack up my monthly fee by $8 [with no prior notice]. I guess they just really did not want my business.)

Review by altermatt See Profile

• Location: White Plains,Westchester,NY
Good "Fast, reliable, great bundle price that they renewed"
Bad "Must have landline to get decent bundle; surcharges; MANY billing errors at first; mail service spotty"
Overall "Great value; watch your bills."

Can't believe it's taken this long for me to post a review of my FIOS service. Switched from Verizon DSL two years ago. MAJOR billing issues for the first few month---a story that MANY users echoed at the time. But they seem to have gotten their act together about this, and I was lucky enough to "know someone who knows someone" and finally got things worked out. So much so that when my "introductory pricing" was up, a gentle nudge (and the fact that cable was offering a deal) got me a continuation of the pricing via a monthly discount.

The install went smoothly, with a fairly savvy installer who accommodated requests. The ONT was the new smaller size and went in a closet space and was done neatly. Quickly got my promised 20/5 (19.7/5.20) with little tweaking and no need to install any of their software. Service has been quite reliable. A recent email outage, though, repeated the old negative experience with Verizon tech support refusing to acknowledge an outage that is widely reported by users for quite a while.

The promised free trial of the DVR took three months of arguing to get; when I did, I was sure I'd return it after the free trial but loved it too much to give it up! The $150 gift card promotion took a while to receive, but did come in as promised and was most welcome.

The big caveat for new users is to WATCH YOUR BILLS. When I signed up, many users reported serious billing problems, and I was no exception, with discounts not applied, offers not fulfilled, extra erroneous charges showing up. Neighbors who have more recently gotten FIOS are reporting much less problem with this.

I wish I could get, instead of my Triple Play, a Double Play of TV and Internet without phone at the same discounted per-service price I'm paying now (comes out to about $34/each service) so I could just go to an unlimited wireless phone plan, but that isn't offered here AFAIK---only Internet and Phone, which seems counter-intuitive.

My other big gripe is the many surcharges and fees that are tacked on to FIOS bills that aren't on cable bills. VZ says they are charged gov't. fees as a telco that cable companies aren't charged, but to my mind, that's a cost of doing business and should be reflected in the advertised price.

Other than those nits, I love my FIOS service (as I loved my DSL service), am thrilled to avoid cable altogether, and would recommend it highly to others.

20/5 triple play, $95/mo. plus surcharges, fees and taxes, two STBs plus Home Media DVR (getting a partial rebate each month on that), Freedom Essentials with no extra premium channels, Actiontec RevE router.

LATER EDIT: System just nagged me to update, and reading over my original review, pretty much everything still holds: reliable service (fairly consistent 25/5, which was my tier when I signed up---for a while got "fluff" close to 30 but it's gone), billing issues now all resolved (fingers crossed), tech support still wanting, and with some of my promotional pricing expiring again, I'm concerned that if my "contact" is no longer around, I might be paying quite a bit more soon. I mentioned that I had a major hassle getting the free DVR trial, and that despite my doubts, I ended up hooked and paying for it at a good discount, which is expiring. I don't know how I lived without it ; it's addictive. They have recently nuked some channels; so far nothing critical to me (on the Extreme TV tier). And my annoyance with the surcharges and fees continues unabated---latest bill has a note that the notorious FUSF fee is undergoing changes and to watch for them---my guess is that ain't good news.

So all my kudos and caveats still pretty much apply. I'd still highly recommend FIOS over cable barring some incredible deal from cable.

UPDATE 10/2012: The last month or so has seen a serious decrease in mail performance, to the point of unusability, with little response until last night, when it seemed to get back to normal---time will tell. Also unhappy with price raises and channel changes, and both caller ID and caller ID on TV occasionally not working. But overall, still think this is a fabulous value compared to competition and continue to recommend FIOS to friends and family.

UPDATE 1/2014: About a year ago, I re-signed another contract with a complementary speed increase to 25/25 that usually works out to about 30/28. Service remains reliable and consistent, and I have stopped using the Verizon email so no more hassles there. Had to switch out STBs a few months ago, and that was (finally, after escalating) handled very well. Regular tech support remains awful; luckily, I have a "connection" in the rare cases I've needed help, and I've gotten very good discounts. HOWEVER, everything I hear indicates that Verizon no longer cares about retaining old customers---they continue to offer very good pricing (compared to cable in our market) for new users, but old users whose contracts are expiring are consistently reporting not only huge increases, but a total lack of flexibility in terms of "retention" discounts. If my experience in a few months, when my contract expires, reflects others, my bill with DOUBLE and I will finally, after being such a huge FIOS fan, jump ship for cable; they are offering very attractive new user pricing around here (same as FIOS offers to new customers). What a stupid business policy on Verizon's part.

I continue to recommend FIOS to new users, and would continue to use FIOS forever if I could keep my pricing (or with reasonable increases). The service itself is reliable and very functional. I do wish they would (as competitors have) allow you to DVR two shows and still watch a third. Phone service is reliable and fully functional.

Comments:

Review by cbrain See Profile

• Location: Silver Spring,Montgomery,MD
Good "Professional install on schedule, stable, low latency, great speed both ways"
Bad "Verizon bureaucracy, bad phone routing, more concerned with procedure than customer satisfaction."
Overall "Flawless connectivity since 03-2005, Verizon does things their own way."

-------update 06-15-2012-----------

My FiOS service was flawless all year. I'm now on a month to month basis. I reviewed the past years charges at contract end. Around the second month Verizon billed about $110 extra. I called and was told this was for their router. Verizon agreed this was an error and credited all but the sales tax. It wasn't worth another call. Everything else was as expected.

If Verizon could fix their flawed and aggravating bureaucracy, they would really become a great company I would be happy to buy more services from.

-------update 04-03-2011-----------

Got a gentle nudge back to Verizon when they terminated their wholesale agreement with DSL Extreme. Looking forward to a long, uneventful relationship.

If we can do internet with less drama this time ... I may just need to add Verizon TV service for entertainment.

»Review of DSL EXTREME by cbrain

-------update 03-30-2010-----------

A friend has worked for Verizon over 20 years. For the past two years she's lived in fear of being let go and is sure she won’t make it to pension. She tells me Verizon has warehouses full of FiOS TV equipment they expected would be in customer homes by now. I wanted to get FiOS TV well over 3 years ago. Verizon handled my calls poorly, gave me so much vague and downright wrong information I decided to wait until they were more experienced. I still don’t have their TV, dropped their phone service in December ’08 and now get my FiOS internet through a reseller.

A company that provides such great internet service deserves our attention and consideration. I love my DirecTV with TiVo and the price is right, but, internet is more important to me. I’d rather spend that money with Verizon.

Why does Verizon make it so hard on its customers?

For 3 years I made repeated attempts to convert my account from PPPoE to DHCP. DHCP has been available to my neighborhood for over 3 years. All new FiOS users get DHCP and can’t order PPPoE. Senior Verizon techs confirmed this is technically simple but there is no official procedure to make this change. Twice Verizon accepted my order to make this change, but failed. When I dropped my land line I was down 3 days and the rep promised I would come back online DHCP. NOT! At any point I would have added TV and kept the phone line if Verizon gave me what I wanted and packaged the change to DHCP with a 1 year additional commitment.

When a customer doesn’t have a phone line, Verizon requires auto billing to a card. Around 60 days after canceling my land line, my internet died. Turned out they did not have my card on file. The rep turned my service back on without payment when I again gave my number and expiration date. I asked if Verizon would have accepted this service change before getting billing info. The rep said no. I was unable to pay the balance on the website but was told Verizon would catch up on the next billing cycle.

About 4 months later I realized no Verizon payments had billed. I could see my account online but it wouldn’t allow me to complete a payment. I tried to make a payment on the Verizon phone payment system. Did you know they add a fee to pay by phone. The phone company charging an extra fee to pay by phone … ironic. Turns out I was not able to pay because I did not have a phone number. They no longer accept payment at a local office. After several hours on the phone over 2 days Verizon was unable to take my payment. I mailed a check. I had now alerted Verizon to the fact I was now about 5 or 6 month overdue and feared they may cut service before my check processed. I made another call late in the afternoon. I called the FiOS toll free number, pressed all the right numbers and eventually reached a very competent rep … in the copper department. She made an extra effort and was able to explain why my payments did not go through. My card number and expiration were on file but no CVV code. Verizon won’t process a payment without one. She was unable to make the correction in the database because only FiOS reps can make changes. She noted my check payment. In all these calls and contacts over the next month, not a single rep made an effort to correctly enter my card information as required by Verizon. Inertia? I made my next payment through my banks electronic payment system. Only took minutes to set up.

Around June 20, I scheduled Verizon to terminate my account on July 31 unless they could switch me to DHCP. I got several calls from retention reps but all were unable to get it done. My online account showed several tickets opened and closed on July 4 but no change. In mid July a rep called me to complete my requested change. She said she would need to cancel my service then open a new account but should be able to do both hopefully within an hour. She completed the disconnect order, gave me a confirmation number then started the new order. She asked me to wait for that order number when my line went dead along with my internet.

Eventually, we discovered Verizon was unable to process the new order because I had a "final bill" that was never paid. I told Verizon this was my only account but they wouldn't accept that. Turns out Verizon established a new account number when I disconnected my land line. There were several transfers between accounts but they still showed a balance due. Verizon never mailed or emailed this bill and this account did not show on the online account page I could access. Because it was over 6 months old they couldn't give details. I offered to put the amount in dispute in escrow with Verizon while we figured all this out. Verizon refused. Lucky thing I didn't have cellular or TV bundled on this account!

I ordered FiOS through a Verizon reseller and service was back up in about a week ... on DHCP ... without an on site visit. My first reaction was to forget Verizon, but, as I cooled off I thought it better to resolve things. I found my bills for the problem period. When everything was finally settled, I got two checks from Verizon. One for each account.

My private label FiOS internet service is still flawless. I'm finally on DHCP and keep the same IP. My trash is filled weekly with multiple copies of colorful FiOS promotional material ... many individually addressed. I can no longer order Verizon TV while I'm with a re-seller, but I'm happy. Is Verizon well served?

»Review of DSL EXTREME by cbrain

»Can't get anyone to take my money!

»Anyone sucessfully switched from PPPoE to DHCP?

»[northeast] PPPoE to DHCP

-------update 06-24-2009-----------

I decided not to settle for what Verizon was willing to allow me and insist on getting what they provide new clients by default. I was unable to get such a concession and scheduled account termination for 7/31/2009.

-------update 06-20-2009-----------

Everyone at Verizon is courteous and completely comfortable not resolving whatever you call about. Even if you are trying to pay your bill when their auto billing isn't, and their website won't. They simply can not complete an electronic payment when the customer doesn't have a phone number even though their policy requires it. Verizon seems to have designed the system to require at least 2 people to complete any task. The problem starts with an IVR system unable to deliver incoming callers to the chosen place. It then appears there is no penalty for any rep not fixing a problem but they can be fired for taking corrective action.without following all the steps. The result being ... I love the service but not the company. I will most likely go back to Comcast for a few months then come back as a new Verizon customer so I get speeds and DHCP they give all new users but wont give a loyal 4+ year customer.

-------update 4-07-2008-----------

Still working. If you never need to speak with Verizon, it is a great service.

-------update 3-14-2007-----------

It just works ... and works well.

Verizon customer service is as bad as their service is good. I can now get FiOS video. I made several calls for information. After getting contradictory, inconsistent and downright incorrect information, I decided to wait until Verizon has more TV experience. The good news is, I have no need to call about my basic service.

----------3-15-05 ------------------------

Verizon FiOS Review - originally submitted 3-15-05 by email but there was not yet an ISP category for fiber.

Original review, 2 month update and real time questions. »FIOS - First 7 days reviewed

My FiOS connection has been flawless since my install 3-08-2005 except for 1 16 hour power outage. Up time, latency, stability and speed all great. BBR monitor shows 100% up time with very stable pings from all 3 monitors. All my logs look good. My IP changes every time I reboot my router but have never lost an IP between changes. When I test or make changes the connection comes right back up but with a new IP from a very large subnet (no setting a range to get access to IP secured servers). Port 80 incoming is blocked (Verizon confirmed) but seems to be the only one. The Verizon supplied D-Link DI-604 works well with both FIOS and Comcast Cable. My router/firewall connected instantly on a test and has been on FIOS since the first night. My Broadband reports monitor shows a steady Verizon ping that looks like a rectangle; about .10 + ms. lower than Comcast from all 3 locations. Comcast graphs looked like a pretty mountain range. The latency is a better plus than the speed in comparing this connection to Comcast.

Verizon DNS works and is fast. Nice to know DNS can be an always on service. I set up 3 email accounts online. Simple procedure, names must be a minimum of 6 characters and the system gives the option for alias. I don't know how this affects your total accounts. The email accounts worked with Outlook and Verizon web mail immediately. I never really started using Verizon email because I have other options and Verizon firewall rules block some incoming mail, including Broadband Reports, without notice. This mail just disappears and Verizon support was unable to unblock my requested domains or IP's. Newsgroups work well, no limits and are fast.

Support: Support is enthusiastic and attentive but disorganized. Verizon provides a special FiOS number but the call routing has failed on all 3 of my attempts, the last in October for a DHCP question. My first call got routed to a rep that could not handle calls from my state. My second call failed the auto routing but I spoke to a friendly rep that didn't have an answer.

This hasn't been an issue because the service works so well I have never needed to make a problem call. Bottom line; what better review could I can give any support program!

Ordering: Seinfield could do a show about my attempts to order FIOS from Verizon humans. After 4 days I gave up and started a web order for an un-needed phone line. I was offered FIOS, chose a number, passed credit and set the install date online. I hadn't had a land line in over 2 years. Verizon policy allows FIOS without phone service but seems unable to deal with such primitive customers.

Installation: Verizon confirmed the install. The week before outside techs ran fiber to the entry point and removed the copper. Two friendly professional techs showed up on time and did a great job. They offered but did not make me use Verizon software. Set up a username & password. They left the software and instruction and would have stayed to help me if necessary.

Router: Works. Easy to set up and change. Has several features including port forwarding, dynamic DNS, filters and firewall. Port forwarding works well. The Verizon D-Link has predefined rules for commonly used ports. You need only enable the port and set the internal IP. The D-Link writes the port forward and a firewall rule. I'll continue to use my own router because of QOS and traffic shaping.

Cost: about $55/month including a limited phone line.

After my install I moved my workstations and server to the Verizon Wan. I then turned off my old routers DHCP, changed the internal IP and added my Comcast connection to this LAN. I could then configure workstations to use either gateway (Verizon or Comcast) or DNS to access the internet. This way I could have workstations on either Comcast or Verizon and route workstations out one connection and back the other. I shifted the connections between routers 2 times. Everything worked well and both routers worked as expected. Both connections were good but I kept Verizon.

FiOS would be the perfect residential service if Verizon offered a static IP. DHCP with a stable IP could be a good alternative. My reason for this is because many networks I access use IP authentication.

Comments:

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

tv

The best part about FiOS IS the TV. Try it out. Maybe you can qualify for the free DVR and free standard box.

Review by Xanax2mg See Profile

• Location: Garden City,Nassau,NY
Good "Best provider I have ever been privileged to use. Phone bundled, too."
Overall "If you have the bucks, go for it!!!"

Service was ordered on 29 December 2013 at 02:39 AM and I was online at
"500/100" in an hour. All set-up was done from Verizon's office. No tech visit needed.

Comments:

Review by Shady Bimmer See Profile

• Location: Northport,Suffolk,NY

December 2013:
==========
I have now been a FiOS customer for five years and have just let my second contract expire. My first contract was for a full year with a second price-guaranteed year (this was not well publicized but was a short-lived extra incentive). I continued for almost another year out of contract without significant price increases.

I re-entered a new two year contract with 35/35 service a little over two years ago and very reliably achieved 43/34 pretty consistently to this date. The service has been rock solid. Total monthly cost is part of bundle ($40 for internet, plus taxes)

I still have the original ONT & Actiontec router functioning. The ONT still has the original backup battery that has lasted through two multi-day outages and a few many-hour outages. I expect this to need replacement soon but this will be a minimal expense as the battery is a commodity item found through many sources.

I have not had to engage support for network services. I did have a good experience with customer service when re-bundling on a new contract (Triple-play). I am watching my month-month pricing as well as bundle-deals before engaging another long-term contract.

December 2008:
==========

I recently have been looking to reduce my monthly costs, and having phone/internet/tv with different providers was identified as not being the most cost-efficient with current promotions. My internet and TV had been with Optimum Online, but recently the video (TV) quality has been degrading so I chose to switch everything to FiOS. My internet plan is their 20/5 service, which is the standard for my area. This is part of a bundled 1 year offering, but the non-discounted price appears to be around $43/month.

Pre-sales: I had done considerable research, both here at BBR as well as with other sources, so I already knew exactly what I wanted and what the options were. The sales rep I reached at the toll-free number was mostly knowledgable but was unaware of a few items (he didn't know what a cable-card was, etc). I placed my order for FiOS Triple Freedom with him then called back the next day to add a cable-card (the rep I reached did know what it was and was able to add it to my order)

Installation: My install was scheduled for only four days after my order on a Saturday. Despite a winter storm passing through the installer still arived early, accepted my requests for location and enablement of the ethernet port (instead of using coax only). The install went quickly, was done neatly and professionally, and was complete without issue.

I received the standard Actiontec MI424-WR router, Rev D. The first thing I did after the install was verified to be working was to move this VZ router behind my Cisco 871, and connecting the 871 to the ONT ethernet port. The FAQ here was used as an initial guide for this. My VOD and guide information on my VZ-provided Motorola 6416 DVR work properly in this configuration.

So far Internet speeds are close to rated 20/5, typically being around 19.5/4.8. There have been no issues with connectivity, but it has only been a few days.

member for 12.8 years, 2627 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Xanax2mg
join:2013-12-31
USA

Unbelievable! Verizon VIOS Quantum Internet Exceeds Expectations

My wired connection consistently downloads at 500-550 Mbps.
I upload at 100-150 Mbps.

My modem is connected directly in the wall and I use it for any WiFi
needs. It truly is an incredible modem.

In the other room, a high-end desktop with an internal WiFi Card downloads
at just over 400 Mbps and I always obtain 100% of the advertised upload speed.

I also enjoy FIOS phone service (bundled unlimited landline, including calls to
USA and Canada; the whole thing for about $190.00 USD a month without a contract.

Granted, I'm in an affluent area and I don't think there are many other users yet

I am VERY SATISFIED

Review by cstaten See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "ordered 1/08/2010 recieved it 1/11/2010"
Bad "the price had gone up to $99/Month"
Overall "It just works.... Lost it for 3 days during Hurricane Katrina"

Whoo- Hoo I went from 3000/768 DSL to 50/20 mb fiber on a 6 hr install
***updated 1/2013....see below
Actiontec wireless 4 gigabit port router

install would have been faster, but there was no drop point in front of my house

Update 1/2013... Since the world didn't end 12/21/2012, I ordered an update to my speed
went from 50/20 mb fiber to 150/60........oh, I'm sorry the actual speed is 153/72. same price with disconts. It took 1/2 hour

I can get up to 500/100 mb in my area

Comments:

Review by bronxlcsw See Profile

• Location: Bronx,Bronx,NY
Good "Rock solid speed, reliable price"
Bad "Dont even come close to paid speed on wireless side"
Overall "FIOS now available in more areas of the Boogie Down Bronx"

December 2013

Sold house in NJ and moved back to Throggs Neck. Got the triple play 2 year contract with 150/65 internet and top package. Pay 234 per month but i think i gong to downgrade to 75/35 internet. Save like 40 dollars. Until they can develop a wireless router that gets the same speed as wired connection i am staying at 75/35. Cant wait for my $400 debit card.

July 2012 Update

Bought Home in New Jersey Elmwood Park. Got FIOS under a new deal which netted me free DVR for life. Recently signed up for FIOS Quantum 75/35 but i get 85/40 most of the time. TV has been rock solid but some pixelation here and there.

January 2011 Update. I moved to Throggs Neck Schurz ave near preston High School. ordered Fios under my name not transfer wifes account. So i get this great deal. Free Multi Room DVR the new 7000 series with the 500Gb Drive and 2 HD boxes plus 1 cable card. I get the top package which includes Epix , HBO. Cinemaz, and all the channels including NFL red zone. 2 year deal for 151 per month 3 televisions. 35/35 internet and reliable.

June 25 2009 Update: well Verizon Fios has upped the speeds again in response to Cablevisions Ultra service. In NYC Area its 35-20. However recent speed testing shows its more like 35/30. All bundled with HD extreme 400 channels and unlimited phone calling. 129 per month 2 year price guarentee and HP Netbook for free (New Customers) 99 dollars existing ones.... Best deal in town by far. The south Bronx is now the epicenter of the broadband wars and i am loving it.

Well before i get creamed and outed let me say i was wrong in my review of Optimum Online. In my review of OOL i said it was the best thing since sliced bread and that even if FIOS became available i would stay loyal to OOL. Well, my triple play deal ended and my optimum rewards discount only go so far. The economy made me do it. Switch to FIOS that is. I save about 100 dollars per month . No disrepsect to OOL. Its still the best in my view. I just made the move purely for economic reasons. I never got lower than 30/5 with cablevision and never had a major outage. The HD pic quality on fios is not that much better than Cablevision but the difference can be seen with the standard def channels. So far so good and i have had the service 1 week. The speeds are rock solid 20/5. I only have 2 gripes so far. first) The actiontech router they give you is only wireless G and does a poor job of sending the signal more than 30 feet. Second) In order to get the better 50/20 plan you have to pay for it separate as it is not allowed to be bundled. All three 3() services phone, internet and television(I have the extreme HD Package with 365 Channels) for 123 per month 2 year commitment. Oh they also send a 150 dollar debit card cash back.

Comments:

Review by Libra See Profile

• Location: USA

Previously we had Verizon dsl and satellite tv. I was very satisfied with the dsl, but the Verizon bundles were very good.

We ordered Verizon fios triple play, which gives us internet, tv (the extreme plan) and digital voice phone. I'm not happy about the phone - you lose it in case of a bad storm, etc. but we have another copper line phone in the house.

The installation went pretty smooth. When I ordered it I wanted the newest DVR but the salesman told me I had to order that online for a fee. As the install was being done I tried to order the dvr and wasn't able to. I called Verizon and asked about this. They were very nice and told me they would waive the fee and get me the latest dvr, which they did. I was very happy about this. We had a problem with one tv and they sent someone out out very fast and he brought a newer version of the dvr for that set also. They were very good.

I have good speed and haven't had any problems with the fios internet. The only thing I've noticed is it changes the IP addresses for the computers. DSL didn't do this. I've gotten a notice from Windows twice saying the assigned IP belonged to something else. Windows fixed it immediately.

I'm very satisfied with Verizon fios.

The price I quoted includes some discounts for 18 and 24 months.

member for 11.2 years, 2159 visits, last login: 114 days ago

Comments:

Review by suggy2004 See Profile

• Location: Conshohocken,Montgomery,PA
Good "Great installers"
Bad "none as of yet"
Overall "Great for the money & options"

Had Verizon DSL for EVER, no problems
Verizon rolled out Fios 3- 4 years ago, waited until now to sign up for it (Still to new)
They advertised there $99 for Quad play, I quickly jumped at it
From order to activation 4 day, order it online late Friday was able to get installed as early as Wednesday, b/c of work I opted for Thursday, Sent them an email they confirmed the date on Sunday
Details of my contract
Total $130.98 Not including fees

Internet is Rock Solid / Tv is Awesome / Phone is Crystal Clear

Rec'd a call the day before install - install take 4 -6 hours
rec'd a call day of - installers will be onsite 12:30 - 1:30
Installers showed up ontime, very professional , very helpful
They had it installed in an hour

member for 10.7 years, 722 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
suggy2004

join:2004-01-07

Grand Total : $178.29

Headed to Comcast / Xfinity for 2 years

Review by dezmoduo See Profile

• Location: Oakland Gardens,Queens,NY
Good "reliable, consistant, fast"
Bad "none yet"

We had 5+ meg down with Time Warner/Earthlink. Our apartment complex was wired for fios very early and we have 3 machines that are in use most of the time.
Downloads don't affect the rest of the LAN anymore.
We don't experience and losses when everyone signs on after dinner like we did with cable.
Included our landline on the fios but NOT the TV. We're 20/5 basic service. Everyone is happy. Price? I dunno, my wife pays the bills. We also have data plans on 3 blackberrys with Verizon.
Yeah, we're addicted.

UPDATE: This summer (2013) we dropped some premium TV stuff, got 50/25 Quantum, and saved 30-40/month. The speeds are consistent and usually clock over the advertised rate. Upload by as much as 10MB.

Comments:

PamJ

@verizon.net

Beeping Battery

Battery for FIOS system (located in garage) was beeping. Beeping means you need a new backup battery. (This one lasted less than 2 years.) Customer service at Verizon quoted $43.98 for a replacement battery. I got a lead on a site where I could get a battery for less. The battery cost me $20.99 with free shipping. There is only a one year warranty, but, at worst, you'd replace battery for still less than Verizon's price. Website: www.replaceupsbattery.com Chat feature on the site is a plus.