Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1911 reviews (1452 good) (133 bad)

Review by carmas See Profile

• Location: Elmont,Nassau,NY
Good "Full advertised speed at all times."
Bad "Installation was somewhat sloppy."
Overall "Good price for superior ISP package, but frequent price hikes..."

Six-year customer now, and Fios reliability has been flawless. Still on the original 611 ONT. Even after hurricane Sandy, once I got my generator running Fios never missed a beat. Paying $90./mo with discount for 25/25 and Freedom essentials double play (no TV).

Three years + now. Never had a outage and speeds are still consistant. Got upgraded to 25/25 this month and w/discounts Fios and Freedom Essentials work out to around $73 including all taxes. Not too bad....but would downgrade to a less expensive lower speed if available. At work we use static DSL at around 7/768 and it's "adequate" for my needs but I would be content with 15/2 Fios for home.

Wow, it's been over 2 years and the good news is no news! I have never had any connection or speed problems and the service has been flawless. I got a "free" speed upgrade to 20/5 when I bought the double-play package (no tv), but Verizon is geting pricey. Close to 90 bucks a month for phone and internet. A good sized chunk is all the taxes on the phone service, but I'm not 100% ready to go all-wireless for the telephone. I could get Optimum double play for business for $60 per month for the 1st year. If Optimum was better in my area (speeds, latency, connection issues) I might consider going back, but maybe a extra dollar per day for Fios is worth it.

9 months have passed and I have nothing but praise for my FIOS service. Speeds continue to be rock solid at 10134 and never varies more than 1% or so. Have had zero problems and 100% uptime. Only action on my part was to purchase a extra 7.5 volt battery for the BBU. I swap them every few months so there is always a charged extra battery available for telephone service in the event of a rare extended power failure. Verizon FIOS ROCKS!

Verizon ran fiber in my yard late last year and FIOS service became available this spring. I was using Optimum Online for the past year at a special rate of 29.95 due to 3 months of non-stop dead slow speeds last summer. OOL speeds have been good for the past 9 months, but only half of the advertised 15mbs speed during peak times.

Verizon was advertising a full year of 10/2 FIOS service for 29.95. I offered Cable Vision an opportunity to match, which they rejected. My new OOL price would have been 49.95/mo. At a savings of $240 over the next year, it was a no-brainer to switch to FIOS.

VZ tech arrived at 10:30 and was finished at 1:30. He did not have to run any Cat 5e, as I already ran data lines for my OOL service. Overall, the tech was pleasant and the installation was satisfactory. My only criticism is that the wires from the BBU are run "piano string" tight and Ty-wraped to existing BX cable in a somewhat sloppy manner. Ironically, the fiber drop was so droopy, I could touch it standing on the ground. After pointing this out he did tighten up the drop. Non of the holes drilled through the brick were sealed with caulk. A bit more care and I would have given him 2 thumgs up.

FIOS speed is a consistent 10125/1575 at any time of the day, and easily 2500 faster than the OOL 15000/2000 service at peak evening hours. (I was lucky to get 7-7500 with OOL) FIOS service has been stable and fast. I'm probably the first to get FIOS on my block, as none of the ports on the poles have drops connected yet. Time will tell if the speed stays up as more subscribers are added. I do plan on installing a 26AH battery to increase the telephone standby time in the event of an extended power failure. The existing copper POTS drop to the house was also removed. The FIOS service has met all my expectations so far. Now I'm waiting for FIOS TV to be available.

Drew

Comments:

Review by tito79 See Profile

• Location: Brewster,Putnam,NY
Good "Great service"

Recently I took my phone service out they gave me a deal on just Internet alone at 59.99 a month I happy with the service.

member for 4 years, 454 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Tinkster See Profile

• Location: Rosedale,Baltimore,MD
Good "Super fast"
Overall "50up/25down need I say more!"

This is the fastest I have had in my home. Everything loads great without a hitch. I had their 25/25 tier for 2 years and renewed to the 50/25 tier for free and another 2 year contract(including TV).

Can't complain I tested the connections and was getting well over 63mps/30mps. Great value considering other options and prices.

member for 10.7 years, 2030 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by MuDvAyNe See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Excellent service and reliable internet after a year of struggling with cable!"
Bad "None yet"
Overall "If FiOS is available in you area you're a fool not to get it!"

·Optimum Online
I first placed my order for Verizon FiOS on August 29, 2010 with an install date of August 31, 2010. I never received an email and on August 30, 2010 I placed a call to Verizon. The order had somehow vanished from the website and never went through! The order was placed again and the service was installed on Sept 2, 2010. It has only been about 6 days but I am excited that I have made the change. I use to have Cablevision's Optimum Online, and for the past year it has been a battle to either get stable speeds or a reliable connection. After not getting anything resolved it was time to jump ship and pay the extra 5 bucks a month for a more reliable internet service as well as a bit more upload speed. With Optimum Online I was on the 15/2 package, and sometimes I was lucky to even get 7/2. With Verizon FiOS I have a stable 15/5 package. I game a lot and stream Netflix etc, and have yet to notice a problem.

The install took about 2 hours, which is about average for a FiOS install. The tech was very nice and friendly. All in all the service has been great so far and I am hoping it will stay the same for many years to come!

Edit 6/25/12 : Back in May 2011, I subscribed to the TV and phone service as well. It was a rocky first few months as there seemed to be a problem with the Television service. Some channels would work fine on one box, while the same channel didn't work on another box. It took about 3 techs to finally fix the issue, which of course was a bad wiring job. My internet was boosted up to 25/25, which is actually 30/25 because you get an extra 5mbps because of the television service. I have a year left on my contract and really do not see myself switching services anytime soon. I switched over from Dish Network which got rid of every RSN in NY. It's nice to be able to watch MSG, SNY, YES, while also getting every game in HD. Dish was a joke.

6/9/13

I loved my FiOS service. No complaints except the price just got to high. I have switched to Cablevision. We may meet again in the future Verizon .

member for 12.1 years, 4999 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by rlaguna See Profile

• Location: Whittier,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Excellent Speeds and Reliability"
Bad "Customer Service could be better"
Overall "The best choice around if you can get it"

I've had the service over 3 years now and I won't go back to anything else unless they discontinue FIOS in my neighborhood.

Cannot be beaten except in price

Comments:

Review by dev_null See Profile

• Location: Boston, MA
Good "Speed, price, video quality"
Bad "So far, not much"
Overall "So happy moved back to VZ territory"

As you can see from my other reviews (AT&T, Metrocast), I recently lived in an area served by second-tier providers (SE CT) who really didn't invest in that area. I'd previously lived in VZ territory, but pre-FIOS, so had Cox HSI/phone/video.

Anyway, recently move back to VZ territory (Boston metro-west), and I am thrilled with the FIOS services. Signed up for a double-play (HSI/video), and am using a variety of VOIP for phone services (voip.ms, GV, Voipo, CC).

I have the 15/5 HSI, and routinely get 25 down, and consistently get 5 up. With a young family, this is sufficient for our needs, which includes the occasional Netflix and/or Amazon subscription.

Contrast the current service with my old ATT DSL, which was rated for 6 down and 1 up, and routinely I got only 1.5 down, and *never* exceeded the rated speed no matter the time of day.

The FIOS video clarity is amazing, and the channel lineup extensive. Contrast this with Metrocast, which picked up the leftovers of Eastern Connecticut cable at fire-sale prices and then used the plant with few, if any, improvements. Muddy SD picture and pixelated HD passed for service down there.

Uverse lawn fridges appeared in the area, but were never lit up.

I should also note that I now use a HDHR Prime with a single cablecard to send video to our devices. If you haven't tried one of these you should. Video is sent via DLNA to a couple of PS3s, a DNLA aware LG TV, a computer and a couple of tablets. Works great (and only costs me 4 bucks a month for the cablecard).

Would be happy with the FIOS service regardless, but moreso because of where I was immediately before. So happy that I might even pay the non-contract price once my contract is up (and I've never done that before). I'm saving $15/mo on the package, and $5/mo on VZ Connections. In CT I was paying $95 for cable alone!

member for 11.6 years, 649 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by buckingham See Profile

• Location: Buckingham,Bucks,PA
Good "Outstanding performance for both Internet and TV. Phone is the same as it's always been. Reliable."
Bad "Limited Free VOD without subscribing to movie package"
Overall "Outstanding"

installation in late August 2010 was outstanding and on time. No billing errors to-date. 35/35 Internet performance is as expected. Phone is reliable as expected. TV service is outstanding for PQ and the latest firmware release adds a lot of good stuff to the boxes. My only disappointment is the limited free VOD available without subscribing to a movie package, especially with the top level *Ultimate" service package.

UPDATE: Upgraded to 75/35 when the contract renewed and still very pleased. Effectively getting 83/38. TV remains excellent in quality.

member for 8.7 years, 3153 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jking9697 See Profile

• Location: Wylie,Collin,TX
Good "Fantastic Speed"
Bad "Still no Quantum Voice"
Overall "For the money, this is absolutley the best internet connection I've used. This is better than my corporate LAN"

Have been on cable and standard DSL with various providers and all were acceptable with some negative points. My FIOS package with FIOS TV and telephone has beaten everything I have ever used hands down. I have a 50/35 internet package for 79.95 a month, phone for 59.95 and TV for 49.95 and receive a "bundle" discount so it is very, very affordable.

At installation I was concerned about the D-Link 100mb wired router that VZ provided but I have been more than pleasantly impressed. The little thing gets the job done, rarely if ever hangs/fails to route, and has been virtually transparent in use. Well done D-Link!

It took a while of all of the services to be offered here so started with phone/internet. Phone is great. Never down, always clear and the "top of the line" package has every "bell and whistle" I could think of except SymRing which is sad but I have gotten use to not having it. Coupled with the internet experience, very fast transfers and always online this has been the best thing I have done in years.

Once FIOS TV arrived I switched so fast; I was out that door in a flash and I was finally free of "that cable provider" whatever name they are calling themselves this week. And the choices, quality of picture, and stability of service are at the least equivalent of the cable service... but I don’t have to deal with the cable company anymore so FIOS wins out again.

All calls to the Verizon customer service number have been handled by someone that had a clear grasp of networking, internet and the interactions of my pc with the equipment. To me it didn’t sound like they were "reading a script" like happened so many times with the cable company. And the agent acted like they wanted to help me... and they did.

I have only had to call support six times in 10 years and once was just to ask a question and to me that says something about quality.

Verizon FIOS, for my money it's no contest. It just keeps working and working well.

Comments:

Review by Tex Longhorn See Profile

• Location: Luckenbach
Good "Super Fast"
Bad "nothing"

Price is for cable, landline, and internet. With promotions, I'm paying aout $50 less than I did with RoadRunner and my speeds are 3-4 times faster.

Hope I don't have to move to an area where there isn't Verizon Fios.

Comments:

Review by Fishead1 See Profile

• Location: Bronx,Bronx,NY
Good "Very fast very stable connection so far.Only had it for a week so say tuned."
Bad "No News server.If you want news groups you'll have to subscribe to an outside source."
Overall "I love it so far."

I was a loyal Optimum Online customer for a long time and I loved the speed that was available.Going from 56k modem to 10 mbps down and 2 mbps up was like a big leap in online speed.

But I've also had a lot of problems in my building with the connection over the years.I had a new line run to my apartment because the one that was there had damaged shielding.I've had off and on dropping of TV channels,or TV stops responding and then reboots,phone drops out,lose internet connection.Techs have been out here numerous times as there have been other complaints from people in the building.They fix it and it works for a while then it starts all over again.

I figured if I can get FIOS and at a good price I'd jump at the offer.I was offered 50/25 ,phone ,and Prime TV package.I didn't get anything fancy with the TV package.No DVR,no multi room setup.I don't need all the channels as I don't watch much TV or movies.Prime package gives me enough of what I want.

Ordered online and then had problems verifying my identity.Had to fax them my no drivers photo ID which they couldn't read at their end.Went to one of their stores and had them fax my photo ID.They rejected that one too.So a young guy that worked in the store said to let him try.He made a color copy of my photo ID and sent that and it was accepted.

I was then in contact with a person to process my order .He went over the details and was trying to sell me a bunch of add ons to drive up the bill.I told him I don't want all the crap just what I ordered.

He then said I needed to put up $250 security because I didn't have a credit record.(I've never had a credit card).I would get that back in 12 months.I wasn't expecting that.

I also got an e-mail about the first bill being just about double because the want one month in advance.Its frustrating that you find this out at this point of the sale.

I've only had a few weeks so I can't really say much but so far so good.Connection has been pretty stable and the speeds have been consistent so far.

Will give an update in the future when I find out whats good and whats bad.