Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1921 reviews (1453 good) (139 bad)

Review by lijacobs See Profile

• Location: Lawrence,Nassau,NY
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "Excellent TV Quality, Inet speed higher than expected (43/35)"
Bad "none"
Overall "Beats CV, both price and quality"

9-15-2013
I still have the same plan and I am still pleased with the quality of service. The on-screen caller ID and the remote access to the DVR are now both very reliable too. Video streaming from all sources including YouTube is excellent.

Double Flex up to 15/5, Extreme HD, MRDVR, HDSTB, QIP72xx,, QIP71xx
3 years negotiating with Verizon before turn up in our co-op - July, 2010

6-28-2011
I'm a Verizon retiree and recently took advantage of VZs new FiOS plan for employees and retirees. I now have Triple Play, Ultimate TV, 35/35 Internet and Freedom Essentials Phone. The service is generally very high quality and reliable except for the on-screen caller ID feature and remote access to my DVR which don't work work most of the time. The picture quality is far better than Cablevision, our previous provider. Internet speed is reliable and never slows down no matter what time of day. Cablevision's speed was variable and was especially slow in the evening hours.

member for 3.9 years, 1389 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by byron See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Amazing internet speeds and stunning PQ"
Bad "HD channel lineup is missing a few channels that TWC offers"
Overall "Worth every penny"

I've been a prisoner to Time Warner Cable for years. For the first 1-2 years I reported PQ issues and sound anomalies to any outlet that would listen. On some occasions they were able to resolve the problems after weeks (sometimes months) of back and forth. After a couple years and having some of the same issues resurface I gave up and just accepted the fact that TWC had me cornered with no alternative.

Shortly thereafter I contacted Verizon about wiring our building for FiOS. It was quite a wait but they came through and got the building wired (roughly 2 years from the time we signed the agreement).

Triple Play package ($119 /mo + taxes/fees)
FiOS TV Extreme HD
FiOS Digital Voice Unlimited
FiOS Internet 75/35

Now my FiOS service is installed and I've been a customer for about a month. The service is very very impressive. Installer was very knowledgeable and polite. Installation took just under 4 hours to complete. He had no problems with my request to activate my internet on the ethernet port (instead of coax). I'm in a condo building so our building is the typical MDU/FTTH setup with a fiber tap above each door. The fiber run from the hallway to my ONT is neatly tucked along the baseboard and is barely noticeable.

TV
It could be my imagination but the picture quality seems much much better than Time Warner Cable. FiOS is missing a handful of HD channels that I would like to have but they aren't a deal breaker. I have two TVs and both of them are set up with TiVo Premier Elite boxes so I'm a CableCard only household. Verizon had no problem with this (TWC charged me more to do this... Somehow it was cheaper to rent an HD STB and just let it sit in the closet).

Internet
The internet is revolutionary. I've never seen a speed test come in below my advertised tier (75/35). Latency is consistently below 10ms.

Voice
Phone features are nice... I wish they had an iOS app that would allow you to manage all of the calling features but the latest iOS update at least gives you access to your voicemail and call history. Better than nothing I suppose.

member for 10.1 years, 1386 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ttb1263 See Profile

• Location: Gaithersburg,Montgomery,MD
Good "Good price, fast internet, better HD pictures, quick install"
Bad "Hard to to switch from VZ router to your own router if you have FIOS TV with internet package, VZ contractor destroyed my lawn"
Overall "Time will tell how much better VZ FIOS compare to Comcast but I like the services so far"

After years of waiting for FIOS, VZ finally ran fiber in our neighborhood around July time frame. Two weeks ago, I ordered the triple package on line with 50/25 internet, prime HD with 1 DVR, and telephone for the grand total of about $136 a month. I also will receive a $300 gift card for signing up. It took only a week from the time ordering to the time I have everything running. Four days before the installation date, VZ contractors came out to my house and ran the cable from the street box to the outside wall. They accidentally cut the Comcast cable and I had to call them back to get it repair. They came back digging to find the cut cable and destroyed my yard in return :-( . The install day arrived, the installer called first to make sure i was home. He was professional and knew what he was doing. He answered all questions and provided instructions - very helpful. He also gave me a DVR box and a Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I router. The install took about an hour and I was happy with the service

The internet speed is awesome, the HD picture is sharp and the phone quality is good. I have no issue so far but I have place several calls to support to break the DHCP lease since I tried to bridge the Actiontec router and caused the issue. I was amaze on how efficient and helpful the support person(s) provided. The only thing that I want now is getting my router to become a primary router

Except for the dead grass, I'm please with the switch from Comcast to VZ. It's too early to tell how stable FIOS is but I would recommend everybody to have FIOS. It''s FAST !!!

Comments:

Review by johnf2 See Profile

• Location: Feasterville Trevose,Bucks,PA
Good "Picture quality the greatest in the world."
Bad "none"
Overall "Very, very satisfied."

Great speed and reliability for the value!
Quantum 50/25 package.
Guide much improved now that Tribune Media provides the guide
FiOS PQ is excellent, that's the huge benefit of fiber optics!

member for 12.5 years, 4207 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by lbvagrant See Profile

• Location: Long Beach,Los Angeles,CA
Good "great speed, customer service will work with you til the end, price comparable to others"
Bad "new updates have regulary caused issues and will again in the future no doubt"
Overall "most areas only get 2-3 choices... if verizon fios is one of the take it"

running 35/35 fios with tv and phone
have charter and Verizon to choose from
down the street is att or charter cable.
so having had bad dealings with charter and not close enough to att to even test them
Verizon is my choice, cable is slowed during peak times anyways!
been on the line since gte and had better times with them.
all in all the customer service toward the older customers is lacking, trying to pull in new ones too much.
you have to point that fact out then you get the perks "gift cards, discounts for a year, speed increase's free, ect"
most the time its solid stable and fast...
last week or so ...not so stable
but still the best for my choices

LBVagrant

Comments:

Review by skeechan See Profile

• Location: AA169|170
Good "Screaming fast, great business prices, very low latency"
Bad "Nightmare install"
Overall "Worth the wait, fast and cheap"

·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
Pre-sales (5): Door-to-door Verizon rep stopped by the office to let us know they had pulled fiber through the sewer and into the various telco pits so we finally have FiOS. She showed me the rates which were actually cheaper than my existing Verizon+DSL service. So for about $20 more, I bumped from the basic FiOS internet plan to 75/35.

Install (1): Epic fail. Conduit was damaged, that isn't really Verizon's fault, but the CO shutting off my copper THREE DAYS before install was. It took down all of my business phones so I had to scramble to get everything back running temporarily. That was made worse by the worst phone gauntlet is history. Getting the right person on the phone at Verizon is nearly impossible. In total I spend 4 hours talking to various departments trying to get to the person who could restore my phone services. Then engineering came out, then the fiber pullers. The fiber puller didn't complete the job so when the tech came out to hang the ONT, there was far more work to do.

Reliability (5): Verizon service has always been good once it was set up and working

Tech support (1): Getting support on the phone is impossible and unlike many providers, they hold bankers hours, even for business.

Value for money (5): Where else are you going to get BUSINESS 75/35 service for $80? No where.

With the exception of the nightmare install I am very pleased with my FiOS service. What isn't to like? 5-8ms latency, over provisioned speeds (typically see 85Mb/40Mb) and much clearer phones (no more static filled copper lines). Since the installer ran CAT6, no need for their router. They ran it with my existing router without any hassle at all.

Very happy camper.

---
Package 75/35 Business $80/mo, plus 3 voice lines with calling options, total $220/mo+junk fees for everything (Voice+HSI) on a 12 mo contract

Supplied Equipment: Motorola ONT, not using their supplied actiontec router

Comments:

Review by brianiscool See Profile

• Location: Tampa,Hillsborough,FL
Good "50/25 loads of bandwidth."
Bad "Slow Speed Test Results"
Overall "Great Price!"

Great Price!

member for 13.9 years, 6578 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by TwinBing See Profile

• Location: Plano,Collin,TX
Good "Fast and reliable"
Overall "Best choice if available"

Internet speed: 25/25
Monthly cost includes internet, FiOS TV Extreme package and FiOS Digital Voice phone.

Comments:

Review by fpuig See Profile

• Location: Millersville,Anne Arundel,MD
Good "Internet Speed as advertise, Excellent video quality"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Best speed, Tv quality, Reliability"

Update 7/29/2013:

After a year the service continue without any problems. No outages. I called and they gave me a free upgrade to Quantum for 1yr. The upgrade was from 25/25 to 75/35 Mbps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------

I started with Fios internet for 1-1/2 yr. and never had an outage, now I dropped DTV and ordered Fios Tv. The quality is superior than DTV, I only have 1 week with the service so I can't bring a full review. With the Tv service I got a bundle and upgrade my internet from 15/5 to 25/25 for $5 more. $89.99 is the base price for internet 25/25 + Fios Tv Extreme HD package. I have 2 Cisco STBs that cost me around $17mo extra. Verizon call me 2 times and text me 1 time before the day of installation. Installation completed in 2hrs.

Comments:

Review by BB4Life See Profile

• Location: Bayonne,Hudson,NJ
Good "Internet is great! TV is between good to great! Phone is just Phone."
Bad "No clock on STB display. Seriously, that is a problem. "
Overall "No clock aside, FIOS is waaaaay more inexpensive than Optimum. Plus I get MORE for my dollar."

First of all, let me start off with the good. I ordered FIOS (Triple Play) a couple of weeks ago, because I wanted to make sure I was home. Verizon had done the standard follow-ups leading up to install date. I had ordered the Extreme HD package (which I believe is similar to Optimum's Silver Package) and got HBO, Showtime, Starz, Encore and apparently The Movie Channel (TMC.) The Internet package I got was 50/25. I was debating spending the extra $5 for 75/35, but I couldn't justify the need, other than it was FAST. In truth, 15/5 had done the job for so many years, and going with the FIOS Quantum package (50/25) I could justify that. The installer came and placed the ONT outside and wired the cables very satisfactorily. Job took about 3/4 of the day, but once he was done, I was off. I had to do some tweaking on the TV (make the images sharper than default, and turn off stretch on Standard Def; the black sides/rectangular box doesn't bother me. I prefer to have a correct, proportioned image than an incorrect one. I stick with HD channels anyway.)

Man, what a difference 50/25 makes though....I configured the supplied router. I even tried LAN-to-LAN with the Netgear Gigabit router I bought (the WNDR4500). I probably did something wrong, cause I was getting 9/4 according to Speedtest. It didn't take me that long to hook up my PC, PS3, fiancee's tablet, my smartphone, and Wireless Printer to the supplied Actiontec router/modem. (it was their latest one, the Rev. 1) Man, even with all that hooked up, I was still getting A+s. I saw that new Netflix series (Orange is the New Black) through the PS3...man, when I hit select to see how the quality was, I got HIGH/HD. With Optimum 15/5, the best I got was Medium/HD.

I will update this review, but my pretax price for TV, Internet, Phone is $134, which will jump up to $164 after the year. With optimum, I was paying $195 (post-promotional price.) I was not going to waste my time threatening to leave anymore...this time I was gonna jump on FIOS and it has only been a couple of days, but so far so good. The Picture Quality is very good! Internet is amazing. I even dusted off the Call of Duty Black OPS, and while I was very rusty, I got quite a number of kills in.

Ok, now for the bad. The really thing that is quite an annoyance with FIOS TV is the lack of a clock on the display on the STB (Motorola QIP 7100-P2). I'm not paying extra money to get a DVR just so that I can get a clock. When one has had a clock on a display of a STB for quite a number of decades, you get used to it. Now I have to get some cheap LED clock from Walmart until FIOS gives me a STB that has a clock display. Believe me, if this were a deal breaker, I would have cancelled service, but for now I will bide my time. Having said that, for the money, FIOS beats Optimum. I guess Optimum has new member pricing, but as I said, I wasn't going to go through all of that.....I don't see how Optimum can match what I got....almost every premium channel (except for Cinemax), 50/25 internet, oh and phone.

I do miss News12, but I got over it.

member for 1 year, 8 visits, last login: 319 days ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:
marc3565

join:2009-10-08

Comment about the clock

You don't mention the model of the STB but most do have clocks. There is an option in the settings to toggle between showing the channel or the time.

On my 7232 it's MENU> SETTINGS> SET-TOP BOX > STANDBY FRONT DISPLAY > SHOW TIME
BB4Life

join:2013-07-16

Re: Comment about the clock

I just edited the review, but it is the Motorola QIP 7100-P2. I called Verizon and they told me to try to find a Verizon store that carried the Motorola QIP 7100-P1, which does have to clock. Long story short, I have to buy a crappy LED clock at Walmart.

Trust me, I navigated to the STB settings, and that box does not have that setting. The only way (today) to get a STB with clock is to either downgrade the box OR upgrade to DVR service. I know the Cisco boxes are coming out soon. I will take my chances with those.

The reason we won't get a DVR is because a lot of the shows we watch are on-demand. For the shows that aren't, they will replay them again a little later. Also, I know that people build HTPCs that have a recording component (I've been working in IT for over 20 years...I could buy/build a PC if I so-wished, but I don't...lol)

VashTS

@verizon.net

Re: Comment about the clock

UR right about the 7100-P2, No time. The next gen boxs are going to have time on them. No idea when or where there going to come out first but they are coming. Personally I dont see a reason for time on it. Iv had a cell phone for years, but I can see how other ppl want it.