Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1940 reviews (1455 good) (145 bad)

Review by Shady Bimmer See Profile

• Location: Northport,Suffolk,NY

December 2013:
==========
I have now been a FiOS customer for five years and have just let my second contract expire. My first contract was for a full year with a second price-guaranteed year (this was not well publicized but was a short-lived extra incentive). I continued for almost another year out of contract without significant price increases.

I re-entered a new two year contract with 35/35 service a little over two years ago and very reliably achieved 43/34 pretty consistently to this date. The service has been rock solid. Total monthly cost is part of bundle ($40 for internet, plus taxes)

I still have the original ONT & Actiontec router functioning. The ONT still has the original backup battery that has lasted through two multi-day outages and a few many-hour outages. I expect this to need replacement soon but this will be a minimal expense as the battery is a commodity item found through many sources.

I have not had to engage support for network services. I did have a good experience with customer service when re-bundling on a new contract (Triple-play). I am watching my month-month pricing as well as bundle-deals before engaging another long-term contract.

December 2008:
==========

I recently have been looking to reduce my monthly costs, and having phone/internet/tv with different providers was identified as not being the most cost-efficient with current promotions. My internet and TV had been with Optimum Online, but recently the video (TV) quality has been degrading so I chose to switch everything to FiOS. My internet plan is their 20/5 service, which is the standard for my area. This is part of a bundled 1 year offering, but the non-discounted price appears to be around $43/month.

Pre-sales: I had done considerable research, both here at BBR as well as with other sources, so I already knew exactly what I wanted and what the options were. The sales rep I reached at the toll-free number was mostly knowledgable but was unaware of a few items (he didn't know what a cable-card was, etc). I placed my order for FiOS Triple Freedom with him then called back the next day to add a cable-card (the rep I reached did know what it was and was able to add it to my order)

Installation: My install was scheduled for only four days after my order on a Saturday. Despite a winter storm passing through the installer still arived early, accepted my requests for location and enablement of the ethernet port (instead of using coax only). The install went quickly, was done neatly and professionally, and was complete without issue.

I received the standard Actiontec MI424-WR router, Rev D. The first thing I did after the install was verified to be working was to move this VZ router behind my Cisco 871, and connecting the 871 to the ONT ethernet port. The FAQ here was used as an initial guide for this. My VOD and guide information on my VZ-provided Motorola 6416 DVR work properly in this configuration.

So far Internet speeds are close to rated 20/5, typically being around 19.5/4.8. There have been no issues with connectivity, but it has only been a few days.

member for 13 years, 2690 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Xanax2mg
join:2013-12-31
USA
·Optimum Online

Unbelievable! Verizon VIOS Quantum Internet Exceeds Expectations

My wired connection consistently downloads at 500-550 Mbps.
I upload at 100-150 Mbps.

My modem is connected directly in the wall and I use it for any WiFi
needs. It truly is an incredible modem.

In the other room, a high-end desktop with an internal WiFi Card downloads
at just over 400 Mbps and I always obtain 100% of the advertised upload speed.

I also enjoy FIOS phone service (bundled unlimited landline, including calls to
USA and Canada; the whole thing for about $190.00 USD a month without a contract.

Granted, I'm in an affluent area and I don't think there are many other users yet

I am VERY SATISFIED

Review by cstaten See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "ordered 1/08/2010 recieved it 1/11/2010"
Bad "the price had gone up to $99/Month"
Overall "It just works.... Lost it for 3 days during Hurricane Katrina"

Whoo- Hoo I went from 3000/768 DSL to 50/20 mb fiber on a 6 hr install
***updated 1/2013....see below
Actiontec wireless 4 gigabit port router

install would have been faster, but there was no drop point in front of my house

Update 1/2013... Since the world didn't end 12/21/2012, I ordered an update to my speed
went from 50/20 mb fiber to 150/60........oh, I'm sorry the actual speed is 153/72. same price with disconts. It took 1/2 hour

I can get up to 500/100 mb in my area

Comments:

Review by bronxlcsw See Profile

• Location: Bronx,Bronx,NY
Good "Rock solid speed, reliable price"
Bad "Dont even come close to paid speed on wireless side"
Overall "FIOS now available in more areas of the Boogie Down Bronx"

·Optimum Online
December 2013

Sold house in NJ and moved back to Throggs Neck. Got the triple play 2 year contract with 150/65 internet and top package. Pay 234 per month but i think i gong to downgrade to 75/35 internet. Save like 40 dollars. Until they can develop a wireless router that gets the same speed as wired connection i am staying at 75/35. Cant wait for my $400 debit card.

July 2012 Update

Bought Home in New Jersey Elmwood Park. Got FIOS under a new deal which netted me free DVR for life. Recently signed up for FIOS Quantum 75/35 but i get 85/40 most of the time. TV has been rock solid but some pixelation here and there.

January 2011 Update. I moved to Throggs Neck Schurz ave near preston High School. ordered Fios under my name not transfer wifes account. So i get this great deal. Free Multi Room DVR the new 7000 series with the 500Gb Drive and 2 HD boxes plus 1 cable card. I get the top package which includes Epix , HBO. Cinemaz, and all the channels including NFL red zone. 2 year deal for 151 per month 3 televisions. 35/35 internet and reliable.

June 25 2009 Update: well Verizon Fios has upped the speeds again in response to Cablevisions Ultra service. In NYC Area its 35-20. However recent speed testing shows its more like 35/30. All bundled with HD extreme 400 channels and unlimited phone calling. 129 per month 2 year price guarentee and HP Netbook for free (New Customers) 99 dollars existing ones.... Best deal in town by far. The south Bronx is now the epicenter of the broadband wars and i am loving it.

Well before i get creamed and outed let me say i was wrong in my review of Optimum Online. In my review of OOL i said it was the best thing since sliced bread and that even if FIOS became available i would stay loyal to OOL. Well, my triple play deal ended and my optimum rewards discount only go so far. The economy made me do it. Switch to FIOS that is. I save about 100 dollars per month . No disrepsect to OOL. Its still the best in my view. I just made the move purely for economic reasons. I never got lower than 30/5 with cablevision and never had a major outage. The HD pic quality on fios is not that much better than Cablevision but the difference can be seen with the standard def channels. So far so good and i have had the service 1 week. The speeds are rock solid 20/5. I only have 2 gripes so far. first) The actiontech router they give you is only wireless G and does a poor job of sending the signal more than 30 feet. Second) In order to get the better 50/20 plan you have to pay for it separate as it is not allowed to be bundled. All three 3() services phone, internet and television(I have the extreme HD Package with 365 Channels) for 123 per month 2 year commitment. Oh they also send a 150 dollar debit card cash back.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Libra See Profile

• Location: USA

Previously we had Verizon dsl and satellite tv. I was very satisfied with the dsl, but the Verizon bundles were very good.

We ordered Verizon fios triple play, which gives us internet, tv (the extreme plan) and digital voice phone. I'm not happy about the phone - you lose it in case of a bad storm, etc. but we have another copper line phone in the house.

The installation went pretty smooth. When I ordered it I wanted the newest DVR but the salesman told me I had to order that online for a fee. As the install was being done I tried to order the dvr and wasn't able to. I called Verizon and asked about this. They were very nice and told me they would waive the fee and get me the latest dvr, which they did. I was very happy about this. We had a problem with one tv and they sent someone out out very fast and he brought a newer version of the dvr for that set also. They were very good.

I have good speed and haven't had any problems with the fios internet. The only thing I've noticed is it changes the IP addresses for the computers. DSL didn't do this. I've gotten a notice from Windows twice saying the assigned IP belonged to something else. Windows fixed it immediately.

I'm very satisfied with Verizon fios.

The price I quoted includes some discounts for 18 and 24 months.

member for 11.3 years, 2159 visits, last login: 173 days ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by suggy2004 See Profile

• Location: Conshohocken,Montgomery,PA
Good "Great installers"
Bad "none as of yet"
Overall "Great for the money & options"

Had Verizon DSL for EVER, no problems
Verizon rolled out Fios 3- 4 years ago, waited until now to sign up for it (Still to new)
They advertised there $99 for Quad play, I quickly jumped at it
From order to activation 4 day, order it online late Friday was able to get installed as early as Wednesday, b/c of work I opted for Thursday, Sent them an email they confirmed the date on Sunday
Details of my contract
Total $130.98 Not including fees

Internet is Rock Solid / Tv is Awesome / Phone is Crystal Clear

Rec'd a call the day before install - install take 4 -6 hours
rec'd a call day of - installers will be onsite 12:30 - 1:30
Installers showed up ontime, very professional , very helpful
They had it installed in an hour

member for 10.9 years, 763 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:
suggy2004

join:2004-01-07

Grand Total : $178.29

Headed to Comcast / Xfinity for 2 years

Review by dezmoduo See Profile

• Location: Oakland Gardens,Queens,NY
Good "reliable, consistant, fast"
Bad "none yet"

We had 5+ meg down with Time Warner/Earthlink. Our apartment complex was wired for fios very early and we have 3 machines that are in use most of the time.
Downloads don't affect the rest of the LAN anymore.
We don't experience and losses when everyone signs on after dinner like we did with cable.
Included our landline on the fios but NOT the TV. We're 20/5 basic service. Everyone is happy. Price? I dunno, my wife pays the bills. We also have data plans on 3 blackberrys with Verizon.
Yeah, we're addicted.

UPDATE: This summer (2013) we dropped some premium TV stuff, got 50/25 Quantum, and saved 30-40/month. The speeds are consistent and usually clock over the advertised rate. Upload by as much as 10MB.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

PamJ

@verizon.net

Beeping Battery

Battery for FIOS system (located in garage) was beeping. Beeping means you need a new backup battery. (This one lasted less than 2 years.) Customer service at Verizon quoted $43.98 for a replacement battery. I got a lead on a site where I could get a battery for less. The battery cost me $20.99 with free shipping. There is only a one year warranty, but, at worst, you'd replace battery for still less than Verizon's price. Website: www.replaceupsbattery.com Chat feature on the site is a plus.

Review by Gman200108 See Profile

• Location: Glenmoore,Chester,PA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "Fast, reliable, good pings, no outages, great support & good price."
Bad "None."
Overall "Awesome service for a hardcore internet user, especially with high bandwidth usage applications."

Started out with the triple play bundle. 50/25 internet, HD TV (3 STB's), and digital phone.

Upgraded internet to 75/35.

Now upgraded to 150/65.

Ordering was simple, install took around 2 hours and we were up and running. Running on GPON, fast speeds, reliable, and low pings!
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3103635884

FiOS rocks!

lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by banshee See Profile

• Location: Albany,Albany,NY
Good "For me so far everything"
Bad "nothing yet"
Overall "saving 60$ a month, with 50/25 speeds"

So far I'm totally satisfied with FIOS triple play and saving money too boot, at least for 2 years.. The speeds are great and HD nice and crisp, no rebooting my router and TV box once a week like with Time Warner..

It's been a few weeks now, this has been a dream for me, everything just works. The sales person that sold me the package called too see how everything was, that surprised me.. I don't have anything bad too say about Time Warner except too say no more rebooting my box or router and if you live in the Albany area and have a chance too get FIOS, jump at it.. I have the 50/25 package and my download & upload speeds have been right on with much better upload than advertised..

It's been awhile now, still happy with my service and speed. It's more than the speed I'm happy about, one of my neighbors stopped by the other night, he said my SD channels are as clear as his HD channels . He also loved the speed of changing stations on the remote, he also is paying 54$ more than me, but he also has 1 more premium (Showtime) than me. FIOS around me has helped the Time Warner customers, prices has gone down and their speeds has gone up.. Any TW users reading this, better speed and better TV makes for a happy customer.

member for 1.5 years, 758 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Fishead1
join:2001-05-08
Bronx, NY

Price?

Where you already a Verizon customer?Depending on what TV package you got that price seems a bit steep.
I know if you were just getting started with them they offer a great triple play package down here in the Bronx.
I was able to get 50/25 internet,Phone,and Prime TV package(which is all I need) for $ 82 @ month and a $200 debit card.Contract os for 2 years.
banshee

join:2013-06-17
Albany, NY

Re: Price?

They said 121 or there abouts but after the tax the includes Cin HBO, rental of the boxes, I got the extreme package, I was paying 236 with Time Warner.
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

Stb

Yea probobaly because he is renting few stbs then add taxes etc..

Review by Bobby100 See Profile

• Location: Centreville,Fairfax,VA
Good "awesome speed"
Bad "none, so far"
Overall "get it, if you can"

Upgraded to 15/2 service, television. Internet speed is great, but probably overkill for most surfing and emailing type stuff. It is nice to get songs from iTunes in a matter on seconds, but really what's a minute or 2 difference. TV is a different story. Intermitently, I get pixelaztion, but I have not been able to determine if it's cable channel trouble, or a FiOS system trouble. Otherwise, it works great.

UPDATE: Upgraded to HD with the HD-DVR. The HD picture is awesome, Verizon just needs to add more channels. I have read that NoVa area will be getting more channels soon, just don't know when. The Motorola DVR is somewhat problematic. At least twice it has fouled up to the point where the remote fails to do anything. In both instances, the cure was to remove the power cord to reset it. Another annoying problem is the responsiveness of the IPG. It feels like it's a half second behind when changing channels at a fast rate. I'm hoping a software upgrade will cure the small problem. Mostly annoyances, but not deal breakers....

UPDATE #2 Recently upgraded again to 25/25. Still no problems. Fantastic upload speed makes updating Picasa albums a breeze.

Update #3 moved to 50/25 plan, and still loving FiOS. Replaced 160Gb DVR with 500Gb device for added storage. Running out of disk space while on vacation is not a problem. My only request would be to add HD channels for H2 and DIY

member for 14.2 years, 4038 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by bbtech6650 See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA
Good "Fast, Reliable"
Bad "Order to install longer than DSL, Actiontec wireless internet half-speed"
Overall "Great Service"

UPDATE: 11/12/2013

I had upgraded to 75/35 in 2012. Service is still very reliable. Patiently waiting for IPv6 to be activated.

UPDATE: 02/23/2011

Some time since the last update I upgraded to 25/25 Internet and dropped my home Verizon phone service. I've had my ONT swapped due to RF failure and data but no video service. Other than the freak problem with the ONT I've had 0 down-time.

UPDATE: 08/31/2009
Speeds still the same as ordered (20/5) No down time since the last update. I'm still really happy with the service.

UPDATE: 11/07/2008

I don't download much but I just downloaded a 1.4gb file at 2.39MB/s Needless to say, I'm very happy still with my service.

Ordered new service 7/18/08, received install date on last week of August.

Install date came, scheduled 8am-12pm tech called and was on-site at around 9am. Tech ran fiber drop and used the new Motorola JI ONT (ONT for use inside, mounted in the basement) installation was finished around 1pm.

I have all 3 services via Fios, the Internet package is 20/5 of which my speed tests are a mostly constant 19/4.9Mbps.