Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1957 reviews (1465 good) (149 bad)

Review by old_wiz_60 See Profile

• Location: Bedford,Middlesex,MA
Good "good speeds, good quality TV, good Tech Support."
Bad "Billing Service abominable,but can be corrected with patience, recently unstable"
Overall "After two good years, FIOS has gone downhill."

I have had FIOS for 1 year now in Bedford Mass. I was an early adopter. Installer was not familiar with my MAC, but I handled that part of it. I have only lost the connection once or twice and that was due to local power failure that left the entire neighborhood dark. I have not used tech support at all, so my rating for tech support is a guess. I have the lowest tier, 5MB, which was fine since I was on dialup. I have the dlink 624 router. Their website said it would not work wireless with a MAC, but it worked just fine. I suspect they say this so they don't have to try to do tech support. I don't use the verizon e-mail or their 'verizon central'. A little confusion on the install, they did it in two days, first day installed wire and the box outside, 2nd day inside. I ordered via web.

----------

Updated 12/11/07. We upgraded to triple play with FIOS TV on 12/3/07. Interesting setup, needed new router (which they provided) since the schedule is received via the net. Saved a bit of money due to triple play (had Comcast before for cable). They were late arriving, but did call, and techs apologized and said other install went over expected time. Contrast to the original install, the techs knew more about the system (which isn't surprising as they've had time to learn the newer stuff). FIOS Tv runs fine, at least as well as Comcast, and we get more channels for lower price. No problems since install.

-------------------------------------

Update July 25, 2008. Now we have billing issues. In May, they raised the price of the internet connection by disconnecting and reconnecting, ignoring the fact we signed for two years. (Billing tried to fix it, but apparently they can't.) This apparently caused rest of system to think we no longer have the triple play. Our monthly bill went from $ 138 to $ 180! I'm now planning to dump FIOS TV; it's not worth the new prices. The billing people try to help, but they are stuck with a computer system that is hideous. FIOS TV is now $80 per month, where before it was $62. I can't figure out how they can get away with raising prices after agreeing to keep the price for 2 years!

-------------------------------------

Updated July 28. After speaking with a Verizon rep they told us the billing system is known to screw up like this. They apologized and told me they would issue a credit and it will be correct next month. I'm happy they can correct the billing - the service is great otherwise.

--------------------------

August 25, 2008. Not surprisingly, the Verizon billing is STILL screwed up! Despite repeated calls and "promises" to fix it, Verizon is unable or UNWILLING to fix it. Our bill should be 141 per month according to the Verizon reps, but this time it is $169. They are simply unable to fi x the billing system and I am getting very very tired of having to call them EVERY SINGLE MONTH to complain. The billing people TRY to help, but they are totally stuck with a system that . I guess it is time to finally file a formal complaint with the State public utilities. Verizon is simply unable to fix their own errors, or unwilling to do so.!!!!!

--------------------------------

September 8, 2008. We checked with Mass Department of Telecommunications, and they said to write to Verizon first, so we did that and got ahold of a supervisor who said the only way to fix the problem is to do a new Triple Freedom package. He went ahead and entered a new package. Today I get a e-mail from Verizon stating that we haven't accepted the TOS for our new package. I did this then re-read the mail from Verizon and found out that the new plan was for a ONE year contract, where the orignal plan signed in November 2007 was for TWO years. So Verizon has again managed to screw the billing. We're also going to be billed "partial month" for service change, which usually is not well pro-rated and costs more than it should. On top of all this, due to the disconnect/reconnect (again) we got a SALES call from Verizon trying to get us to 'come back' to Verizon! It is so sad, because when you talk to the Verizon people they REALLY TRY to help, but unfortunately they can't really fix the billing system. It is so frustrating since the service itself has been so good; phone, internet, and TV have all been top quality. We expect more hassle with Verizon to keep trying to get the original contract price and period, but I suspect we will just wait for next month's bill and go to the Department of Telecommunications and file a formal complaint.

------------------

Update 9/15/08...Well, Verizon's Customer Advocacy people called us after I complained to Mass Department of Telecommunications (public utilities) and e-mailed two contacts provided here via IM from two Verizon friends or employees. I explained the situation, and they understood my point of view perfectly - I had a two year contract and they should honor it. Next a supervisor from billing called, and said that it is impossible to get the two year contract anymore, but instead they would give me the one year contract at the original two year price and then a credit so I'd pay that price for 2 years. They fully understand my reasoning, especially when I pointed out that if I was a contractor for Verizon and tried to get out of a two year contract they would never let me get away with it. They promise my monthly bill will be no higher than it should be for the term of the original contract. Our monthly bill goes out this week, so it should be interesting. I'm expecting to have to call them a few more times until the billing settles down. I suppose it's acceptable, but it just sounds like the billing system is causing them so much trouble. Why can't they fix it? I'm certainly not the only person having these troubles. The Verizon reps have all been polite and helpful and do their best, but it's sad to see they can't simply fix their billing system.

-------------------------------------------------

Updated 10/20/08. Surprise? Despite promises from Verizon that my bill would be no more than 141, this month they charged me for $168! Verizon is very good at appearing to care, but in fact they really don't want to fix it. Despite complaint to public utilities, e-mails to various Verizon executives, they are overcharging and we have to call every **** month and argue with them again and again. If there was a workable alternative I would dump them in a heartbeat. Comcast is available, but they are probably no better or worse.

---------------------------------------

11/11/08. Finally they have the billing straight. It only took from July to November, numerous phone calls, numerous e-mails, and not one but two complaints to Mass Departent of Telecommunications and Energy (public utilities). sheesh.

---------------------------------------

11/3/09. Billing has been correct for almost a year now. However, I'm running out of the 'introductory' price, so I don't know if it will go up soon. The connection continues to be stable, good speeds, and TV works well.

-------------------------------------

1/21/10. The HD SetTopBox died yesterday. It would go off, then come back on blank, then restart itself then work for a few minutes, then die again. Did live chat with Verizon Tech Support agent Eva in Texas. She sent a reset and all seemed well. Half an hour later it died again. Back to live chat and got Eva again and she said we'll just send you a new STB and you should receive it Friday. Received the new STB this morning (Thursday) and installed with no problem, used the web based self install page, entered the code and it ran for 10 mins or so and now all is well. The new STB is a little different, but works fine. Very happy with the Verizon Tech Support.

---------------------------------------

4/25/2010. Price increases have now raised the monthly bill to $ 165. It went up $18 in just one month. Unfortunately there was no new features or anything, just a higher rate and an invitation to log on to their site to look at new and exciting options (which of course are not free). I'd try to drop some options, but that would probably send me back to billing hell.

--------------------------------------------------------

11/30/2010. We are receiving messages from Verizon saying that our 2 year contract is up and inviting us to renew it. While we're happy with FIOS, we also know that if we want to change anything while under contract it will be a terrible mess in billing so we will probably just leave it alone and not renew.

------------------------------------------------------

06/21/2011. Our router died; no lights at all. Called Verizon and spoke to support and they shipped a new router; no hassle and no difficulty. It arrived in 4 days, but to be fair we called on Friday afternoon amd it arrived the following Tuesday. Replaced the router and re-configured but didn't use the Verizon assistant since I'm on a Mac. The router has been fine since then.

--------------------------------------------------------

09/21/2011. No issues since replacing the router. We're considering reviewing our account and options viz TV packages, but don't really want to go to the hassle.

---------------------------------------------------------

04/23/2013. Bill shock today..Our monthly fee, in one month, went up $21. We've decided to cut some of the programming, but trying to do it via the Verizon web site is extremely difficult - they have huge web pages with large type and graphics and you can't view the whole page even on a 24" monitor. We were partly successful, but were not able to do everything we were trying to do. We had the Verizon chat person helping us, but we lost the connection to chat 3 times and the third time we got a different person who had no idea what was going on. We will have to try to call them tomorrow to fix it. I HATE having to call Verizon - it is a huge pain to reach the right people and then to get them to be willing to actually help us.

-----------------------

Updated 05/03/13..Downgraded to fewer channels and cut the movies out. We thought of upgrading the internet connection to 25 mb, but found out that's only available if you have a higher tier TV service. I think they don't want people to switch to watching tv via the net since they want people to pay high prices for TV. Also wondering how soon they will start capping the internet; they don't want people downloading movies from iTunes or Amazon Instant Video since that means they will not be buying pay per view movies from Verizon. They did move us up to 15 mb tier, but it's turning out to be very unstable. We have to reboot the router at least once a day. Maybe the old router just can't cope with the load?

-------------------------------

Updated 01/26/2014.. FIOS internet and TV have gone downhill in recent months. The internet and TV will drop and the router shows no connection...Call support, nothing wrong on our end, they open trouble ticket, then a couple of hours later TV and internet are working again and they cancel the trouble ticket. They were saying "possibly construction"... on Sunday?? We lose internet for about 2-4 hours around once a week that we notice; it might be more, just could happen when we are not using it. Very annoying. We now have backup for the TV - an OTA antenna for the times when FIOS is dead. Phone still works though.

Comments:

Review by altermatt See Profile

• Location: White Plains,Westchester,NY
Good "Fast, reliable, great bundle price that they renewed"
Bad "Must have landline to get decent bundle; surcharges; MANY billing errors at first; mail service spotty"
Overall "Great value; watch your bills."

Can't believe it's taken this long for me to post a review of my FIOS service. Switched from Verizon DSL two years ago. MAJOR billing issues for the first few month---a story that MANY users echoed at the time. But they seem to have gotten their act together about this, and I was lucky enough to "know someone who knows someone" and finally got things worked out. So much so that when my "introductory pricing" was up, a gentle nudge (and the fact that cable was offering a deal) got me a continuation of the pricing via a monthly discount.

The install went smoothly, with a fairly savvy installer who accommodated requests. The ONT was the new smaller size and went in a closet space and was done neatly. Quickly got my promised 20/5 (19.7/5.20) with little tweaking and no need to install any of their software. Service has been quite reliable. A recent email outage, though, repeated the old negative experience with Verizon tech support refusing to acknowledge an outage that is widely reported by users for quite a while.

The promised free trial of the DVR took three months of arguing to get; when I did, I was sure I'd return it after the free trial but loved it too much to give it up! The $150 gift card promotion took a while to receive, but did come in as promised and was most welcome.

The big caveat for new users is to WATCH YOUR BILLS. When I signed up, many users reported serious billing problems, and I was no exception, with discounts not applied, offers not fulfilled, extra erroneous charges showing up. Neighbors who have more recently gotten FIOS are reporting much less problem with this.

I wish I could get, instead of my Triple Play, a Double Play of TV and Internet without phone at the same discounted per-service price I'm paying now (comes out to about $34/each service) so I could just go to an unlimited wireless phone plan, but that isn't offered here AFAIK---only Internet and Phone, which seems counter-intuitive.

My other big gripe is the many surcharges and fees that are tacked on to FIOS bills that aren't on cable bills. VZ says they are charged gov't. fees as a telco that cable companies aren't charged, but to my mind, that's a cost of doing business and should be reflected in the advertised price.

Other than those nits, I love my FIOS service (as I loved my DSL service), am thrilled to avoid cable altogether, and would recommend it highly to others.

20/5 triple play, $95/mo. plus surcharges, fees and taxes, two STBs plus Home Media DVR (getting a partial rebate each month on that), Freedom Essentials with no extra premium channels, Actiontec RevE router.

LATER EDIT: System just nagged me to update, and reading over my original review, pretty much everything still holds: reliable service (fairly consistent 25/5, which was my tier when I signed up---for a while got "fluff" close to 30 but it's gone), billing issues now all resolved (fingers crossed), tech support still wanting, and with some of my promotional pricing expiring again, I'm concerned that if my "contact" is no longer around, I might be paying quite a bit more soon. I mentioned that I had a major hassle getting the free DVR trial, and that despite my doubts, I ended up hooked and paying for it at a good discount, which is expiring. I don't know how I lived without it ; it's addictive. They have recently nuked some channels; so far nothing critical to me (on the Extreme TV tier). And my annoyance with the surcharges and fees continues unabated---latest bill has a note that the notorious FUSF fee is undergoing changes and to watch for them---my guess is that ain't good news.

So all my kudos and caveats still pretty much apply. I'd still highly recommend FIOS over cable barring some incredible deal from cable.

UPDATE 10/2012: The last month or so has seen a serious decrease in mail performance, to the point of unusability, with little response until last night, when it seemed to get back to normal---time will tell. Also unhappy with price raises and channel changes, and both caller ID and caller ID on TV occasionally not working. But overall, still think this is a fabulous value compared to competition and continue to recommend FIOS to friends and family.

UPDATE 1/2014: About a year ago, I re-signed another contract with a complementary speed increase to 25/25 that usually works out to about 30/28. Service remains reliable and consistent, and I have stopped using the Verizon email so no more hassles there. Had to switch out STBs a few months ago, and that was (finally, after escalating) handled very well. Regular tech support remains awful; luckily, I have a "connection" in the rare cases I've needed help, and I've gotten very good discounts. HOWEVER, everything I hear indicates that Verizon no longer cares about retaining old customers---they continue to offer very good pricing (compared to cable in our market) for new users, but old users whose contracts are expiring are consistently reporting not only huge increases, but a total lack of flexibility in terms of "retention" discounts. If my experience in a few months, when my contract expires, reflects others, my bill with DOUBLE and I will finally, after being such a huge FIOS fan, jump ship for cable; they are offering very attractive new user pricing around here (same as FIOS offers to new customers). What a stupid business policy on Verizon's part.

I continue to recommend FIOS to new users, and would continue to use FIOS forever if I could keep my pricing (or with reasonable increases). The service itself is reliable and very functional. I do wish they would (as competitors have) allow you to DVR two shows and still watch a third. Phone service is reliable and fully functional.

member for 11.1 years, 2765 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Xanax2mg See Profile

• Location: Garden City,Nassau,NY
Good "Best provider I have ever been privileged to use. Phone bundled, too."
Overall "If you have the bucks, go for it!!!"

Service was ordered on 29 December 2013 at 02:39 AM and I was online at
"500/100" in an hour. All set-up was done from Verizon's office. No tech visit needed.

Comments:

Review by Shady Bimmer See Profile

• Location: Northport,Suffolk,NY

December 2013:
==========
I have now been a FiOS customer for five years and have just let my second contract expire. My first contract was for a full year with a second price-guaranteed year (this was not well publicized but was a short-lived extra incentive). I continued for almost another year out of contract without significant price increases.

I re-entered a new two year contract with 35/35 service a little over two years ago and very reliably achieved 43/34 pretty consistently to this date. The service has been rock solid. Total monthly cost is part of bundle ($40 for internet, plus taxes)

I still have the original ONT & Actiontec router functioning. The ONT still has the original backup battery that has lasted through two multi-day outages and a few many-hour outages. I expect this to need replacement soon but this will be a minimal expense as the battery is a commodity item found through many sources.

I have not had to engage support for network services. I did have a good experience with customer service when re-bundling on a new contract (Triple-play). I am watching my month-month pricing as well as bundle-deals before engaging another long-term contract.

December 2008:
==========

I recently have been looking to reduce my monthly costs, and having phone/internet/tv with different providers was identified as not being the most cost-efficient with current promotions. My internet and TV had been with Optimum Online, but recently the video (TV) quality has been degrading so I chose to switch everything to FiOS. My internet plan is their 20/5 service, which is the standard for my area. This is part of a bundled 1 year offering, but the non-discounted price appears to be around $43/month.

Pre-sales: I had done considerable research, both here at BBR as well as with other sources, so I already knew exactly what I wanted and what the options were. The sales rep I reached at the toll-free number was mostly knowledgable but was unaware of a few items (he didn't know what a cable-card was, etc). I placed my order for FiOS Triple Freedom with him then called back the next day to add a cable-card (the rep I reached did know what it was and was able to add it to my order)

Installation: My install was scheduled for only four days after my order on a Saturday. Despite a winter storm passing through the installer still arived early, accepted my requests for location and enablement of the ethernet port (instead of using coax only). The install went quickly, was done neatly and professionally, and was complete without issue.

I received the standard Actiontec MI424-WR router, Rev D. The first thing I did after the install was verified to be working was to move this VZ router behind my Cisco 871, and connecting the 871 to the ONT ethernet port. The FAQ here was used as an initial guide for this. My VOD and guide information on my VZ-provided Motorola 6416 DVR work properly in this configuration.

So far Internet speeds are close to rated 20/5, typically being around 19.5/4.8. There have been no issues with connectivity, but it has only been a few days.

Comments:
Xanax2mg
join:2013-12-31
USA

Unbelievable! Verizon VIOS Quantum Internet Exceeds Expectations

My wired connection consistently downloads at 500-550 Mbps.
I upload at 100-150 Mbps.

My modem is connected directly in the wall and I use it for any WiFi
needs. It truly is an incredible modem.

In the other room, a high-end desktop with an internal WiFi Card downloads
at just over 400 Mbps and I always obtain 100% of the advertised upload speed.

I also enjoy FIOS phone service (bundled unlimited landline, including calls to
USA and Canada; the whole thing for about $190.00 USD a month without a contract.

Granted, I'm in an affluent area and I don't think there are many other users yet

I am VERY SATISFIED

Review by cstaten See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "ordered 1/08/2010 recieved it 1/11/2010"
Bad "the price had gone up to $99/Month"
Overall "It just works.... Lost it for 3 days during Hurricane Katrina"

Whoo- Hoo I went from 3000/768 DSL to 50/20 mb fiber on a 6 hr install
***updated 1/2013....see below
Actiontec wireless 4 gigabit port router

install would have been faster, but there was no drop point in front of my house

Update 1/2013... Since the world didn't end 12/21/2012, I ordered an update to my speed
went from 50/20 mb fiber to 150/60........oh, I'm sorry the actual speed is 153/72. same price with disconts. It took 1/2 hour

I can get up to 500/100 mb in my area

Comments:

Review by bronxlcsw See Profile

• Location: Bronx,Bronx,NY
Good "Rock solid speed, reliable price"
Bad "Dont even come close to paid speed on wireless side"
Overall "FIOS now available in more areas of the Boogie Down Bronx"

December 2013

Sold house in NJ and moved back to Throggs Neck. Got the triple play 2 year contract with 150/65 internet and top package. Pay 234 per month but i think i gong to downgrade to 75/35 internet. Save like 40 dollars. Until they can develop a wireless router that gets the same speed as wired connection i am staying at 75/35. Cant wait for my $400 debit card.

July 2012 Update

Bought Home in New Jersey Elmwood Park. Got FIOS under a new deal which netted me free DVR for life. Recently signed up for FIOS Quantum 75/35 but i get 85/40 most of the time. TV has been rock solid but some pixelation here and there.

January 2011 Update. I moved to Throggs Neck Schurz ave near preston High School. ordered Fios under my name not transfer wifes account. So i get this great deal. Free Multi Room DVR the new 7000 series with the 500Gb Drive and 2 HD boxes plus 1 cable card. I get the top package which includes Epix , HBO. Cinemaz, and all the channels including NFL red zone. 2 year deal for 151 per month 3 televisions. 35/35 internet and reliable.

June 25 2009 Update: well Verizon Fios has upped the speeds again in response to Cablevisions Ultra service. In NYC Area its 35-20. However recent speed testing shows its more like 35/30. All bundled with HD extreme 400 channels and unlimited phone calling. 129 per month 2 year price guarentee and HP Netbook for free (New Customers) 99 dollars existing ones.... Best deal in town by far. The south Bronx is now the epicenter of the broadband wars and i am loving it.

Well before i get creamed and outed let me say i was wrong in my review of Optimum Online. In my review of OOL i said it was the best thing since sliced bread and that even if FIOS became available i would stay loyal to OOL. Well, my triple play deal ended and my optimum rewards discount only go so far. The economy made me do it. Switch to FIOS that is. I save about 100 dollars per month . No disrepsect to OOL. Its still the best in my view. I just made the move purely for economic reasons. I never got lower than 30/5 with cablevision and never had a major outage. The HD pic quality on fios is not that much better than Cablevision but the difference can be seen with the standard def channels. So far so good and i have had the service 1 week. The speeds are rock solid 20/5. I only have 2 gripes so far. first) The actiontech router they give you is only wireless G and does a poor job of sending the signal more than 30 feet. Second) In order to get the better 50/20 plan you have to pay for it separate as it is not allowed to be bundled. All three 3() services phone, internet and television(I have the extreme HD Package with 365 Channels) for 123 per month 2 year commitment. Oh they also send a 150 dollar debit card cash back.

Comments:

Review by Libra See Profile

• Location: USA

Previously we had Verizon dsl and satellite tv. I was very satisfied with the dsl, but the Verizon bundles were very good.

We ordered Verizon fios triple play, which gives us internet, tv (the extreme plan) and digital voice phone. I'm not happy about the phone - you lose it in case of a bad storm, etc. but we have another copper line phone in the house.

The installation went pretty smooth. When I ordered it I wanted the newest DVR but the salesman told me I had to order that online for a fee. As the install was being done I tried to order the dvr and wasn't able to. I called Verizon and asked about this. They were very nice and told me they would waive the fee and get me the latest dvr, which they did. I was very happy about this. We had a problem with one tv and they sent someone out out very fast and he brought a newer version of the dvr for that set also. They were very good.

I have good speed and haven't had any problems with the fios internet. The only thing I've noticed is it changes the IP addresses for the computers. DSL didn't do this. I've gotten a notice from Windows twice saying the assigned IP belonged to something else. Windows fixed it immediately.

I'm very satisfied with Verizon fios.

The price I quoted includes some discounts for 18 and 24 months.

member for 11.6 years, 2159 visits, last login: 271 days ago

Comments:

Review by suggy2004 See Profile

• Location: Conshohocken,Montgomery,PA
Good "Great installers"
Bad "none as of yet"
Overall "Great for the money & options"

Had Verizon DSL for EVER, no problems
Verizon rolled out Fios 3- 4 years ago, waited until now to sign up for it (Still to new)
They advertised there $99 for Quad play, I quickly jumped at it
From order to activation 4 day, order it online late Friday was able to get installed as early as Wednesday, b/c of work I opted for Thursday, Sent them an email they confirmed the date on Sunday
Details of my contract
Total $130.98 Not including fees

Internet is Rock Solid / Tv is Awesome / Phone is Crystal Clear

Rec'd a call the day before install - install take 4 -6 hours
rec'd a call day of - installers will be onsite 12:30 - 1:30
Installers showed up ontime, very professional , very helpful
They had it installed in an hour

Comments:
suggy2004

join:2004-01-07

Grand Total : $178.29

Headed to Comcast / Xfinity for 2 years

Review by dezmoduo See Profile

• Location: Oakland Gardens,Queens,NY
Good "reliable, consistant, fast"
Bad "none yet"

We had 5+ meg down with Time Warner/Earthlink. Our apartment complex was wired for fios very early and we have 3 machines that are in use most of the time.
Downloads don't affect the rest of the LAN anymore.
We don't experience and losses when everyone signs on after dinner like we did with cable.
Included our landline on the fios but NOT the TV. We're 20/5 basic service. Everyone is happy. Price? I dunno, my wife pays the bills. We also have data plans on 3 blackberrys with Verizon.
Yeah, we're addicted.

UPDATE: This summer (2013) we dropped some premium TV stuff, got 50/25 Quantum, and saved 30-40/month. The speeds are consistent and usually clock over the advertised rate. Upload by as much as 10MB.

member for 12.3 years, 974 visits, last login: 1.1 years ago

Comments:

PamJ

@verizon.net

Beeping Battery

Battery for FIOS system (located in garage) was beeping. Beeping means you need a new backup battery. (This one lasted less than 2 years.) Customer service at Verizon quoted $43.98 for a replacement battery. I got a lead on a site where I could get a battery for less. The battery cost me $20.99 with free shipping. There is only a one year warranty, but, at worst, you'd replace battery for still less than Verizon's price. Website: www.replaceupsbattery.com Chat feature on the site is a plus.

Review by Gman200108 See Profile

• Location: Glenmoore,Chester,PA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "Fast, reliable, good pings, no outages, great support & good price."
Bad "None."
Overall "Awesome service for a hardcore internet user, especially with high bandwidth usage applications."

Started out with the triple play bundle. 50/25 internet, HD TV (3 STB's), and digital phone.

Upgraded internet to 75/35.

Now upgraded to 150/65.

Ordering was simple, install took around 2 hours and we were up and running. Running on GPON, fast speeds, reliable, and low pings!
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3103 ··· 03635884