Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1940 reviews (1455 good) (145 bad)

Review by mschwartz337 See Profile

• Location: West Chester,Chester,PA
Good "Friendly technicians, speed exactly as promised"
Bad "Terrible communication with buried cable contractor"
Overall "Excellent service. Need to find new buried cable contractor"

The technicians were awesome and very knowlegdable. The speed is exactly as advertised. I actually have internet speeds far greater than cable. I can't believe I downloaded a Linux ISO in 8 minutes!

Comments:

Review by GregPaskal See Profile

• Location: Plano,Collin,TX
Good "None Yet"
Bad "Verizon hired a 3rd party company to install fiber in our neighborhood. Lawn trashed and not repaired"
Overall "Verizon, you sure have a way of making bad first impressions"

Verizon has been tearing up our neighborhood for months. For weeks they had our front lawn torn up (without asking permission). When they finaly left, they left our lawn in a total mess. I have called over five times to have this mess cleaned up and their best attempt was to come and throw sod on top of the rubble pile they left. I called on this half-way attempt and no one showed up after they said they would come out and fix it. I am considering contacting the city next to see who gave these guys the OK to tear up all the neighborhoods (without any accountability) and then not return them back th their original state. City of Plano, TX, you have been duped by Verizon and while fiber will be nice some day, at the cost of our property value, forget it.

Verizon over all as an ISP has been terible anytime there has been a problem. I have been without DLS for weeks at a time and can honestly tell you, you will get a different answer everytime you call their tech support. I did once get someone that was helpful after Verizon decided to lose all of my static IP's without any notice and all our servers were down for nearly two weeks. This is a typical Verizon scenario and I think they are about one of the worst customer service companies I have ever worked with.

Comments:

Review by DolphinOne See Profile

• Location: Beaverton,Washington,OR
Good "Excellent connection; speed; service."
Bad "Waiting"
Overall "Great product well worth the wait"

I live in Beaverton / Aloha area.

In mid-November, I placed an order for Verizon Fios. To upgrade my existing DSL connection. We setup November 30th as the installation date.

On November 30th, the crew showed up and told us they could not proceed because we had no open space in our garage. (During the order two weeks earlier, no one mentioned a word about needing space in our garage for equipment to be installed.)

Over the next ten days, my family and I pitched in and made space where the person said the equipment would be installed. a day or two later, I called Verizon Fios back and rescheduled the order. They were booked solid until December 29th. So, we set an installation date of December 30th.

December 30th saw the installation crew show up a tad bit late and they stayed about 2-hours to drop one line, install equipment in our garage, and setup the Dlink DI-604 Rev E2 router. Their notes were very clear and helpful. The crew was very helpful.

Today, I've enjoyed seeing my download speeds at 15-MB rates. Its been enjoyable surfing the Internet and RDC into my office (where I am system admin) ... and I've setup a laptop and PC myself to connect through our router.

One concern ... I need a better firewall. I have desktop Zone Alarm Pro. Why? I've had eight (8) incoming high-level intrusions recorded by Zone Alarm Pro on my desktop alone since the Fios line was installed. I suggest others going with Fios consider stronger security.

Good luck everyone...

Comments:

Review by ViPaDawG See Profile

• Location: Centreville,Fairfax,VA
Good "Latency is AMAZING! Speeds as Advertised! Awesome Deal!"
Bad "Umm....none yet."
Overall "Get It If You Can. It's THAT Good!!"

On 12/16/05 I ordered the 5/2 Package online from the verizon site, and on 12/29/05 I was installed and running. The service is amazing. I'm an online gamer, and I need the lowest latencies possible, and From Washington D.C. I ping ~25ms to Chicago and ~40ms to Texas. My previous ISP was more like ~50ms to Chicago and ~65ms to Dallas. So this is a VERY VERY nice step up. Price is great too! $35 gets me 5mbps downstream and 2mbps upstream. Speeds are spot on, and I can hardly complain. After reading about some of the others who had trouble with installs, I was worried, but the Installer showed up with 30min to go in the "arrival" window, and was here for almost 5 hours working to get my service up and running. Hardest part was drilling a hole in the wall to get the Cat5 cable from the ONT to the Router. Other than that, installation was uneventful, and pretty brisk. The rep was knowledgeable, and very friendly. I got the D-Link DI-624 wireless router, and that works nice and brisk, giving me good speeds, and working fine with my other linksys adapters to the other computers in my house. FiOS uses Dynamic PPPoE to connect, however the installer told me that VZ will be switching over to DHCP soon. Overall, it was a pleasant experience, and I highly recommend the service to everyone. I'll update this review accordingly every so often to let those who want to know about FiOS, are allowed to do so.

member for 11.3 years, 1229 visits, last login: 1.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by Blueghost See Profile

• Location: Carmel,Putnam,NY
Good "Fast Speed, No Slowdowns, Excellent Neat Installation."
Bad "None So Far"
Overall "Great Deal for The Price. Blows the Local Cable Company Away IMO."

Ordered the 15/2 package with 12 month contract for &44.95 online on 12/20/05. Free installation was included and scheduled for 12/28/05. Two days prior to installation date, I received a recorded installation appointment reminder from Verizon. The night before the installation I received a live call from Verizon informing me that the installation will be performed between an 8am and 12pm window the next day. One the day of the installation, the tech arrived at around 9am and was extremely knowledgeable and cooperative in where to place the Optical Network Terminal and other equipment required for the service. The D-Link router and battery backup was installed inside a closet in my basement making the installation virtually invisible. The installation was neat and clean taking about 4 hours to complete from start to finish. The connection was immediately established and working within minutes. Right now I only have a data connection but plan to migrate my telephone service and cable television service over to FIOS. Television is not yet available in my area due to cable TV franchise issues with local communities. I know it's only been one day since I have had this service but so far there is no comparison between FIOS and cable modem. I highly recommend Verizon Fios to anyone in the Putnam County area of New York State.

Comments:

Review by salman59 See Profile

• Location: Bradenton,Manatee,FL
Good "Speed, Reliability, Price"
Bad "Nothing to report yet"
Overall "More choices will bring the prices down"

Installation went smoothly. They even transferred my (supposedly) land line on the fiber. I am switching to Vonage anyway. My linksys BEFSX41 has some problem acquiring as IP with PPPoE so I am using theD-Link provided by Verizon. A quick bandwidth check from Speakeasy showed close to 5 down and 2 Up speed.

I am just waiting for them to start their TV offerings in Bradenton.

Comments:

Review by eortiz See Profile

• Location: Land O Lakes,Pasco,FL
Good "The price and speed"
Bad "needs to improve on sub-contractor laying the fiber"
Overall "Awsome!!!!!!!!!"

The price is great with the speed that I'm receiving. It beats Bright House price and speed. The only concern I have is that the sub-contractor that lay the fiber and broke my pipe for the sprinkler. I called a few time to have them fix it but the only thing they have done is put the dirt back in the hole and called it a day. So, now I have to be the bad customer and call and speak to a supervisor and call Verizon about the issue at hand. But I'm very happy with Verizon and the way the have treated me, very professional help desk and techs. Now if the can get a better sub-contractor to due the job right the first time it would help the next customer. But I would like to say the the tech who install Fios, was awsome, oustanding and very professional!!!

Comments:

Review by islesfan56 See Profile

• Location: Manhasset,Nassau,NY
Good "Reliable, Fast, NOT CABLEVISION!"
Bad "No Phone Servc. w/ Extended Black Outs"
Overall "No Brainer"

Get it its awesome!!

Comments:

Review by javajws See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
Good "Blazing speed"
Bad "Verizon missed install date...with no warning"
Overall "Definately worth the trouble....love the speed"

I signed up for FiOS on the first date it was available in my area. They gave me an install date for 7 days later on a Monday. Saturday before the install we received an automated call to confirm the appointment, which we did. We were told the install would be the following Monday between 8am and Noon.

At 12:15pm the following Monday, we still didn't have a Verizon truck. I called our local FiOS number 3 times before being told to call the 800 number. After 2 calls to the 800 number, I finally got a good customer service rep. He said that they had overbooked and that I would have to go to the back of the line for installations. After saying that was not acceptable, he said that he would check into getting a better date and call me back. He also offered me a $25 credit, since I had taken a day off work for the install. He promptly called back and said that the service would be installed the following day.

At 9am the next day the installer arrived. He worked until 3pm at which time our service was active. It took me some time after he left to get our wireless router working, but it was well worth the wait and trouble. The speed is just amazing. It's night and day over the dialup service we had previously. The World Wide Wait is over.

I highly recommend FiOS to anyone with anything less than DSL.

Comments:

Review by MrPib See Profile

• Location: Shohola,Pike,PA
Good "Fast, reliable, flawless since installed 2.5 months ago"
Overall "Don't hesitate to order when FiOS is available."

I ordered 5/2 FiOS on 9/29 -- the day my town went live -- for a 10/12 install. ( The earliest available date was 10/7).

I have a room in the basement where all of my phone, tv, and network wiring is located, so I installed a new board on the wall for the FiOS equipment.

Two installers arrived on-time on the 12th, and were competent, friendly, and very considerate. There was no problem having the ONT located in the basement. The installation was uneventful, and they left my voice and 3/768 DSL service up and running the whole time. Good thing, because I was telecommuting that day!

I've had NO problem since then. My TiVos, alarm system, and VoIP adapter are working perfectly.