Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1949 reviews (1462 good) (147 bad)

Review by jkh1978 See Profile

• Location: Centreville,Fairfax,VA
Good "fast."
Bad "installation never happened"
Overall "I have little faith in anyone working with Verizon in northern virginia"

On December 1 a telemarketer called. He said I would be guaranteed an early appointment if I made it way in advance, so we settled on Dec 22. On the 20th I received an automated message to be at home between 9-5. On 22nd, at 9am, I received the call from the technician that he would be there before 11am. If he was not there before 11am, he would be there between 1-2pm. If he was not there by 2pm, then call back. At 2 I called seeing where the technician is He was there at 12:45 and could not enter the building. I stepped out for lunch sometime between 11:30 and 12:30, because the techinician said he would not show up until later.

So I waited for a specific appointment, which I was now told that telemarketers cannot guarantee. The technician told me a timeframe that he did not keep to. And they rescheduled it for me on January 20. An escalation group is supposed to call me back.

Update 12/23: I see some responses that they want me to wait until I get installed. I went ahead and posted, because I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with Verizon. They cannot get me an installation date until January 20. The escalation department was supposed to call me back yesterday afternoon and I have yet to receive a phone call. One of the phone tech support guys from California was to call me back this morning and he has not. Now I am told to call back Tuesday and start the complaint process all over again. I was on hold for an hour before any technician picked up. The technicians both days could not reach anyone in the Virginia dispatch office.

Update 12/26:

Never received those calls. Called back at 11am. On hold for an hour before I was disconnected; never talked to a live person. At 12 I got a hold of someone. He was friendly but was unable to do anything to help my problem. Verizon will not offer me an installation date soon. They say they are stretched too thin with installations. They are making no perceived effort to fit me in. They are unsure if they can offer any financial compensation.

Update 1/21: Finally! Almost two months later, and I am installed. The installers were from Syracuse and were great. However, I was worried when yesterday I was told they would be there between 8-12 and they didn't come till almost 3. Only took two hours, because I wanted it installed right inside... not a tricky install. When I called at two to verify that they were coming, I was on hold for 25 minutes because the tech couldn't find anyone to ask.

Comments:

Review by mike3736 See Profile

• Location: Staten Island,Richmond,NY
Good "Very Fast"
Bad "3 box of equipment can be installed inside or outside"
Overall "GREAT VERY FAST 29188KBPS/4182 KBPS"

GREAT SPEED. ONLINE AND STARTUP GOOD NO PROBLEMS TECH MADE SURE EVERYTHING WAS WORKING.

Comments:

Review by aperper See Profile

• Location: Silver Spring,Montgomery,MD
Good "on time, in budget, top speed"
Bad "too soon to tell, but Verizon's service is usually....."
Overall "Get FIOS if you can"

Ordered 5 meg FIOS in late December 2005 and got online today. There was a promotional price for Verizon DSL folks to move over: $29.95/month for 5M and $39.95 for 15M. Took the 5 meg option and was up and running in 16 days. Speed tests on BBR are 4800+/1750+. The installers were great. Left no mess and hooked it all up. Running the line up the driveway to the house was kinda sloppy, but I'll just re-seed the lawn come spring.

Older phones in the house have a tinny sound now (they are now on fiber too), but it's an excuse to go upgrade.

Will write more when I get over shakeout period.

Well, it's over a month since install and I have to say that FIOS is tits. No doubt. Phone sounds great, internet never down and my kids love thier dad again. what can I say?

Comments:

Review by epf55 See Profile

• Location: Downingtown,Chester,PA
Good "Fast, reliable (cheaper than Comcast)"
Bad "none"
Overall "Must - Have !"

Trenching took 1/2 day. No issues. Next day installer ran fiber through underground conduit to house. Hooked up w/o any issues about 2-3 hours later. Since then, no issues, only blazing fast speeds! Can't wait for Fios TV!

Comments:

Review by bsp0238 See Profile

• Location: Rowlett,Dallas,TX
Good "Great Speed, VERY low latency, excellent cost"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "If you can get it, it's about the best you can get"

I've been a customer for over a year. I wanted to put this review on for anyone looking for a long term experience. I have to say, I'm pretty impressed. This connection has been able to handle anything I can throw at it. I did a little test the other day, I fired up an online game, was downloading windows updates on a secondary computer and was on a VOIP call at the same time. The result: 8m/s average latency on the game, fast download, and perfect quality on the call with no interruptions. I've heard of a few people around town having some trouble, but so far I haven't had any. A year with no problems is quite a feat as far as I'm concerned.

Comments:

Review by JHEM See Profile

• Location: Medford,Burlington,NJ
Good "SPEED!!!!"
Bad "None as yet."
Overall "Fantastic speed and crystal clear voice lines."

Ordered 3mb down and 1.5mb up FIOS upgrade 10 days ago. Verizon installed my ONT yesterday and initiated the service. Lo and behold I have FIVE down and TWO up, tech said that's what everyone is getting in this area.

Upgraded from 768/128 copper DSL line for $5 LESS per month!

Blows my Comcast 3mb cable service into the weeds.

member for 12.9 years, 105 visits, last login: 4.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by Manizales See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
Good "Faster and Cheaper than Comcast Cable Internet"
Bad "direct router, need second router for firewall"
Overall "Best service for the money"

When I had Cable I had a modem, then Router (was a good setup for security)

I have only a router between me and Internet. I am going to try adding another router, so one will act as a Firewll.

I have Packet8 Phone Service and it works well with FIOS.

Comments:

Review by mdmfios See Profile

• Location: Plano,Collin,TX
Good "Excellent Speed, Excellent Customer Service"
Bad "3rd Party Contractor (Housley) to lay fiber to neighborhood"
Overall "FiOS Rocks! Speed (5Mbps/2Mbps) as advertised"

I had no problems with either the install of the Fiber from the curb to the house or the install of the Optical Network Terminal. All Verizon employees were great. You could barely tell they ran anything at all. They were careful with the sod and dirt. They did break a sprinkler line when laying the cable, but immediately fixed it.

I was not happy when the third party cotractors tore up the yard laying the initial fiber to the neighborhood earlier in the year. Although they stayed within the easment, they broke a sprinkler line that I didn't find out about for a couple of weeks and ended up having to repair myself.

The install of the ONT was very smooth and quick as well, though I already had 2 CAT 5e cables run to the service entrance to my central patch panel and all interior wiring was already in place so it was very easy. Voice was placed on one cable and Data was placed on the second.

I am ready for FiOS TV which I was told will start selling in my area (Murphy, TX) next week. I can't wait to fire Comcast!

BTW, supposedly if you get FiOS TV, your speed will be 10Mbps even if you only order 5Mbps service.

So far, a happy customer

member for 9 years, 6 visits, last login: 8 years ago

Comments:

Review by Insane2k3k See Profile

• Location: Murrieta,Riverside,CA
Good "Once setup, it's well worth the money."
Bad "One installation apointment wasted..."
Overall "You need to remind them to scedual your apointment to acctuly have the fiber ran to your house"

On October 13th FiOS was avalable in my area.

Scedualed an apointment for the 24th of October.

The install crew comes out and tells us that the fiber that was suposed to be at the house wasn't at the house. Verizon forgot to make the first apointment for me to GET the fiber to my house. So, since this being on friday no one can lay the fiber to my house over the weekend, so I have to wait intill tuseday. Tuseday comes and they show up to lay the fiber, its done. And on top if it all, the install crew was about an hour late. Verizon hasn't said anything abou a new apointment so I had to call them up to get it scedualed for the 27th of October. They come the 27th, right on time very friendly install crew, this time they acctualy would rout cat5 through my house, the other crew said they coulden't. About an hour in ahalf later, everythings setup and working at full 15/2 like advertised. And to this day (Jan 2nd) It hasn't gone down once.

member for 11.5 years, 162 visits, last login: 6.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by mschwartz337 See Profile

• Location: West Chester,Chester,PA
Good "Friendly technicians, speed exactly as promised"
Bad "Terrible communication with buried cable contractor"
Overall "Excellent service. Need to find new buried cable contractor"

The technicians were awesome and very knowlegdable. The speed is exactly as advertised. I actually have internet speeds far greater than cable. I can't believe I downloaded a Linux ISO in 8 minutes!

member for 9 years, 6 visits, last login: 9 years ago