Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1957 reviews (1465 good) (149 bad)

Review by Dan B0 See Profile

• Location: Chino,San Bernardino,CA
Good "Everything"

5/2 speed, $35, Install went fine, neat friendly installers.

I blogged the whole thing here> »dansfios.blogspot.com/

Comments:

Review by deramon8 See Profile

• Location: White Plains,Westchester,NY
Good "The best! I have the fastest speed seen!"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "This should kill cable"

Everything went perfect, from order to installation. I can download 5 gig in less than 30 minutes! Upload is great. With a dyndns account I can upload and download from anywhere despite the dynamic ip.

member for 14.5 years, 761 visits, last login: 5.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by davecraze9 See Profile

• Location: Irving,Dallas,TX
Good "Blazing speed (up and down), Great Value, Quick Install"
Bad "Can't get full speed over wireless; PPPoE"
Overall "Great product at a great price"

I am in Irving, TX and had my FIOS install on 1-21. Ordered the 15/2 service.
Nine days later, tech came for the install. It could have been as few as 5 days, but I needed to schedule it on a weekend.

Technician was very efficient and I was up and running in 1.5 hours total. He simply installed the ONT on the side of my house, put the battery inside my garage and hooked into the existing CAT5 that runs from the outside of my house into my On-Q distribution box in my closet. Then he installed my existing wireless G router in my game room in the center of the house and plugged it into the existing ethernet port in the gameroom. Boom... all done.

With a wired connection: He tested the install with the verzion speed test site and it showed 15500/1900 (of course, who knows if that is accurate). I tried it with the dfw.speakeasy site and got a little less, but not so much so that it would bother me.

Wireless connection: I am having trouble getting full speed over my wireless network - wireless tops out at 4500/1750 on the speakeasy and a few other tests. The verizon site shows 7500/1750. All three of my laptops show similar up and down speeds.

The wireless router is a Netgear WGR614v4. The verizon installer suggested I use this existing router rather than purchasing the verizon (Dlink?) router – he cited the better overall performance of netgear products as his reason. He left an ununsed wired router with me as it came with the installation.

I have the Netgear router operating on G only (not mixed mode) and signal is excellent. I have even removed my tivos from my network to ensure that they were not dragging the network down (I have G adaptors on them, but who knows, they may really be operating at B since the tivo firmware is buggy with respect to wireless G).

I can't figure out what may be the problem, but it is a problem on my end so I can't fault Verizon for this issue.

The upshot - great speed and very affordable. Get it if you can,

I am scheduling my FIOS TV this week also. After that, I will have everything from Verizon that I previously had with Comcast (HD, DVR and all channels) and Verizon DSL, plus much faster DL and UL speeds for 40 dollars per month less than I previously paid.

Comments:

Review by jeanswear See Profile

• Location: Staten Island,Richmond,NY
Good "Internet Speed is 5Mbps"
Bad "Not compatible with certain phones"
Overall "Don't convert phone lines to fiber"

Ordered FIOS. Verizon cancelled the order without notifying me because of incorrect address. Finally had them come out to install. Installation went great but now my phones don't ring. According to Verizon, my Nortel Venture phones are not industry standard and its not their problem. Plus they won't move my dial tone back to copper. No one ever informed me when I placed the order that my phones might be incompatible. Now I am stuck with having to spend $300+ for ring boosters just so I can unupgrade my lines. Definitely not worth the upgrade.

Comments:

Review by ivorykeyer See Profile

• Location: Exton,Chester,PA
Good "Extremely reliable, fast upstream speed, competitive pricing."
Bad "Not much to complain about..., but read the review"
Overall "Satisfied"

The service is terrific. Rock solid reliability. Love the 2Mbps upstream. Have 5Mbps down and am attemping the 15Mbps service, but more on that later.

I actually got the service in early May of 2005, so some of the detail is a bit clouded since it's been quite a while. I'll describe the install before finishing up by relating the long, long, comical (I'm easygoing - I think it's comical although *you* may not) comedy of errors that occurred before and after.

*THE INSTALL*

Scheduled for morning and on time up shows a truck with two installers. Over the next almost 6 (yes, I said 6) hours they proceed to install the ONT on the garage, string the fiber from the pole to the ONT, install a battery backup in the garage that services the ONT, install a power supply (it's plugged into a power outlet) that services the battery backup. Then, they string a network cable from the ONT up the garage, along the gutter, up the shingles to a hole into the room where the free router (D-Link - DI-604) is located. (Took a few minutes to decide on that particular route). The hole where the wire enters the house is on the second floor is right above the front entrance. It was a bit messy, but they used a bit of caulk to tidy it up a bit. It's a little bit unsightly, but unless you're looking for it, it's not particularly noticeable. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably have them route the wire differently, but what's done is done. No big deal. They came inside, installed a jack, plugged in the D-Link, performed some configuration from the desktop to enable the account and the sun shone and the birds sang. The connection was good. After waiting for years, it was bye bye Comcast cable modem and TV - hello FIOS and DirectTV. All in all, the installation went very smoothly. They showed up on time, were very professional and were all around nice people to boot. No complaints. I did replace the D-Link with my Linksys Router/Vonage device a few minutes after the install and have had no problems.

*HOW IT BEGAN AND MORE FUN STUFF*

It all started late in the summer of 2004 when I noticed a small army of Verizon trucks swarming down the street. I approached one of the workers and asked if they were pulling fiber, to which he quietly answered yes and added (with some prompting on my part) that they hoped to actually begin offering the service by the end of the year (2004).

Fast forward to sometime in April of 2005 when the inserts finally appeared in my local paper offering FIOS service at $34.95 month for 5000/2000 with a free D-Link router and a free first month of service. Now, the fun begins. Why, you ask? Well, I don't have phone service from Verizon (had VOIP for several years now) and when I called to order FIOS, the rep. tells me that FIOS is only available to Verizon phone customers. I complain a bit, saying that this business decision simply means that Verizon gets none of my money, when they could at least get some of it if I could get FIOS alone (aka 'naked' FIOS). To no avail. Until... a few days later a colleague at work who I had mentioned this to points me to a Verizon press release saying that FIOS service is available to all residential customers - whether or not they have Verizon phone service. I call the FIOS sales number again and once again say that I want to place an order, to which I am quickly told (after saying that I don't have Verizon phone service), that I must have... yadda yadda. I then proceed to tell the rep about the Verizon press release. He hesitates... asks me who the press release is from... puts me on hold... comes back a few minutes later, takes my number and says that he will call me back. Several days pass and, lo and behold, I'm informed that I in fact can get FIOS without having Verizon phone service. He also tells me that, this is a new offering (it appears that Verizon marketing was a bit ahead of sales on this one) and setting the account up will be a bit of a manual process on their part and that they'll have to bill to a credit card since I don't have a regular Verizon account. I didn't recognize this little comment as an example of foreshadowing in real life. He also says that the monthly cost is $5.00 higher for non-Verizon phone customers ($39.95). Fine, I say - let's go. We schedule an appointment for installation in a week or two. A few days before the install, after thinking about it for a bit, I decide that I'd prefer to start out with the 15000/2000 service and give a call to change the order. As it turns out, they can't accommodate speed change requests to orders in progress and I'm asked to request the speed upgrade after the install is complete. I'm OK with that.

The installation goes well, as noted above. I call the Encore fiber group (they provide non-technical customer support) later that day or the next to request the speed upgrade. "What's your phone number" I'm asked. Uh oh. I tell them that I don't have a Verizon phone number. Hmm. It takes a while, quite a while, to bring up my account. I have by now most definitely forgotten the chronology and the number of calls I made to the very friendly, very professional employees. After many calls to the group and talking to lots of different people, it becomes clear that due to issues with not having a Verizon phone number and being an early (perhaps the first) naked FIOS PA customer, my account cannot be changed to get the higher speed. IT has some work to do on the billing system and how it interfaces with the FIOS delivery systems or something like that. I've actually worked on large billing systems and so have some understanding of the difficulties. I knew I was a bit on the bleeding edge when I started out and, besides, I've got plenty fast service and it's working well. Over the intervening months (during which the service has been rock solid) I periodically check in with the Encore fiber group to see what the status is and am told that there's nothing much that can be done.

OK, this is getting way too long, so time to just wrap it up. The situation today is that some system magic was performed recently (something along the lines of actually dropping my old account and establishing a new one) and my service has been upgraded to 15/2. My speed tests don't show me getting 15 just yet - it's hovering around 9-10 - but that may be a problem on my end. I'll be looking into it in the next couple of days.

So, what's the bottom line? Leaving aside the bleeding edge account and speed upgrade problems, the installation was well done, the service itself has been excellent and the price is definitely competitive I work from home a couple of days a week and the 2Mbps upstream speed is great to have. The Encore fiber support group has been extremely responsive and friendly, even when faced with a situation like mine where they had no means of resolving the problem - without a doubt one of the better support organizations of this type I've dealt with.

Comments:

Review by Pbfour51 See Profile

• Location: Germantown,Montgomery,MD
Good "Fastttt, download 1-2 mbps higher than advertised."
Bad "Dumb installer, upload a tiny bit slower than advertised."
Overall "If it's available, get it. Better then anything else currently out."

Time from ordering to install date was about a month. Ordering was easy as pie, everything clearly lined out. Recieved my confirmation phone call a day before the install. Conduit was not laid up untill the day of the install, but whatever, everything was still on schedule.

Installer arrived promptly at 8:10 or so (Doorbell woke me up ). He was here for quite a bit, over 5 hours. This is mainly due to having to wate for the conduit to be laid. If I could rate the installer 1 out of 5 in competence, I would rate a 0. He tried to set up one of our PC's up wrong for FIOS, didnt understand the basics of using a computer, and at one point even asked me 'which E do I click?' (Refering to the internet explorer icon). He was clearly a 'trained monkey' telling me that I HAD to have the verizon IE toolbar and all that junk installed for the fios to work. He even went to some wrestling site (WWE or something) afterwards to 'make sure the internet was working'. Pretty unprofessional.

After he left I called tech support right away and had them help me setup my gamers lounge router instead of theirs. I called 2 times and the first time I wasnt on hold at all, the second I was on hold for 5 minutes or so. I cant say enough about tech support, not only are there no hold times but they know exactly what they're talking about. They both said I could use my router instead of theirs, so i'm not exactly sure what all this 'VZ only supports their default router' fuss is about.

I had to mess around with my TCP settings and stuff to get the maximum speed.. after a half hour or so of that I'm at about 17/1.8 on the ordered plan of 15/2. I cant seem to break the 1.8 upload barrier with the my router, however with theirs it jumps to 2.2. By default you get a dynamic IP, and i'm not sure if static costs extra or you just have to ask for it. Shouldn't matter with FIOS though because you should never loose a connection.. just don't turn off your router and you're fine.

Overall, quite satisfied.

member for 12.2 years, 1683 visits, last login: 1.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by cougarsix See Profile

• Location: Valrico,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Super Fast!"
Bad "Bad Free D-Link Wireless Router (not the best item)! Mac Users are on their own!"
Overall "Get IT!"

It took me a while to get this actually installed, not b/c verizon wasn't ready, willing, and able, but b/c I was too busy. They kindly agreed to come on 4 separate Saturdays for me. I had to cancel the first three trips for various reasons. I received automated phone call reminders of the installs well in advance that allowed me to then connect with a real person and reschedule. Verizon would have had it installed in 7 days if I hadn't reschedule so many times.

As far as the actual physical install: the phone line had to be moved from one side of the house to the opposite side, two data/phone jacks were installed inside my home, the box on the outside of the house and the box in the garage were mounted and molding was used to cover the wires and then was siliconed. The copper was disconnected, but not removed. The tech had to call for help so he could fish and splice the lines, and another tech showed up in less than half an hour. The total install took over 6 hours.

They gave me a free D-Link Wireless Router that doesn't work. I switched back to my AirPort Extreme as soon as they left. The FIOS over wireless is still very, very, very fast. Just in case anyone has bad router issues in the future (ie. it drops the connection or won't let you log-in or resets itself for fun), Verizon uses PPPoE and you will have a non-static IP address unless you are a business customer or directly request one. Make sure you get the tech to write down your user name and password, along with any other information you may need in the future.

The techs are very nice people, but their training for dealing with Mac users is something like "don't make fun of them, they are rabid." Anyway, Verizon FIOS on a Mac works well (just make sure to check verizon's web page to make sure you have a compatible Mac). I downloaded Broadband Tuner from apple.com to help with latency issues. Other Verizon FIOS issues were addressed recently in the 10.4.4 update. All in all, I have to say I'm pleased with the super fast speed -- and that was the whole point for me anyway.

Side Note: The very nice tech guy had no idea what I was referring to when I kept saying "my AirPort". Of course, him being a tech, I assumed he knew what I meant until he looked at me quizically and asked: Do you work at the airport?"

Comments:

Review by jkh1978 See Profile

• Location: Centreville,Fairfax,VA
Good "fast."
Bad "installation never happened"
Overall "I have little faith in anyone working with Verizon in northern virginia"

On December 1 a telemarketer called. He said I would be guaranteed an early appointment if I made it way in advance, so we settled on Dec 22. On the 20th I received an automated message to be at home between 9-5. On 22nd, at 9am, I received the call from the technician that he would be there before 11am. If he was not there before 11am, he would be there between 1-2pm. If he was not there by 2pm, then call back. At 2 I called seeing where the technician is He was there at 12:45 and could not enter the building. I stepped out for lunch sometime between 11:30 and 12:30, because the techinician said he would not show up until later.

So I waited for a specific appointment, which I was now told that telemarketers cannot guarantee. The technician told me a timeframe that he did not keep to. And they rescheduled it for me on January 20. An escalation group is supposed to call me back.

Update 12/23: I see some responses that they want me to wait until I get installed. I went ahead and posted, because I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with Verizon. They cannot get me an installation date until January 20. The escalation department was supposed to call me back yesterday afternoon and I have yet to receive a phone call. One of the phone tech support guys from California was to call me back this morning and he has not. Now I am told to call back Tuesday and start the complaint process all over again. I was on hold for an hour before any technician picked up. The technicians both days could not reach anyone in the Virginia dispatch office.

Update 12/26:

Never received those calls. Called back at 11am. On hold for an hour before I was disconnected; never talked to a live person. At 12 I got a hold of someone. He was friendly but was unable to do anything to help my problem. Verizon will not offer me an installation date soon. They say they are stretched too thin with installations. They are making no perceived effort to fit me in. They are unsure if they can offer any financial compensation.

Update 1/21: Finally! Almost two months later, and I am installed. The installers were from Syracuse and were great. However, I was worried when yesterday I was told they would be there between 8-12 and they didn't come till almost 3. Only took two hours, because I wanted it installed right inside... not a tricky install. When I called at two to verify that they were coming, I was on hold for 25 minutes because the tech couldn't find anyone to ask.

Comments:

Review by mike3736 See Profile

• Location: Staten Island,Richmond,NY
Good "Very Fast"
Bad "3 box of equipment can be installed inside or outside"
Overall "GREAT VERY FAST 29188KBPS/4182 KBPS"

GREAT SPEED. ONLINE AND STARTUP GOOD NO PROBLEMS TECH MADE SURE EVERYTHING WAS WORKING.

Comments:

Review by aperper See Profile

• Location: Silver Spring,Montgomery,MD
Good "on time, in budget, top speed"
Bad "too soon to tell, but Verizon's service is usually....."
Overall "Get FIOS if you can"

Ordered 5 meg FIOS in late December 2005 and got online today. There was a promotional price for Verizon DSL folks to move over: $29.95/month for 5M and $39.95 for 15M. Took the 5 meg option and was up and running in 16 days. Speed tests on BBR are 4800+/1750+. The installers were great. Left no mess and hooked it all up. Running the line up the driveway to the house was kinda sloppy, but I'll just re-seed the lawn come spring.

Older phones in the house have a tinny sound now (they are now on fiber too), but it's an excuse to go upgrade.

Will write more when I get over shakeout period.

Well, it's over a month since install and I have to say that FIOS is tits. No doubt. Phone sounds great, internet never down and my kids love thier dad again. what can I say?