Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1937 reviews (1455 good) (144 bad)

Review by ViPaDawG See Profile

• Location: Centreville,Fairfax,VA
Good "Latency is AMAZING! Speeds as Advertised! Awesome Deal!"
Bad "Umm....none yet."
Overall "Get It If You Can. It's THAT Good!!"

On 12/16/05 I ordered the 5/2 Package online from the verizon site, and on 12/29/05 I was installed and running. The service is amazing. I'm an online gamer, and I need the lowest latencies possible, and From Washington D.C. I ping ~25ms to Chicago and ~40ms to Texas. My previous ISP was more like ~50ms to Chicago and ~65ms to Dallas. So this is a VERY VERY nice step up. Price is great too! $35 gets me 5mbps downstream and 2mbps upstream. Speeds are spot on, and I can hardly complain. After reading about some of the others who had trouble with installs, I was worried, but the Installer showed up with 30min to go in the "arrival" window, and was here for almost 5 hours working to get my service up and running. Hardest part was drilling a hole in the wall to get the Cat5 cable from the ONT to the Router. Other than that, installation was uneventful, and pretty brisk. The rep was knowledgeable, and very friendly. I got the D-Link DI-624 wireless router, and that works nice and brisk, giving me good speeds, and working fine with my other linksys adapters to the other computers in my house. FiOS uses Dynamic PPPoE to connect, however the installer told me that VZ will be switching over to DHCP soon. Overall, it was a pleasant experience, and I highly recommend the service to everyone. I'll update this review accordingly every so often to let those who want to know about FiOS, are allowed to do so.

member for 11.3 years, 1229 visits, last login: 1.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by Blueghost See Profile

• Location: Carmel,Putnam,NY
Good "Fast Speed, No Slowdowns, Excellent Neat Installation."
Bad "None So Far"
Overall "Great Deal for The Price. Blows the Local Cable Company Away IMO."

Ordered the 15/2 package with 12 month contract for &44.95 online on 12/20/05. Free installation was included and scheduled for 12/28/05. Two days prior to installation date, I received a recorded installation appointment reminder from Verizon. The night before the installation I received a live call from Verizon informing me that the installation will be performed between an 8am and 12pm window the next day. One the day of the installation, the tech arrived at around 9am and was extremely knowledgeable and cooperative in where to place the Optical Network Terminal and other equipment required for the service. The D-Link router and battery backup was installed inside a closet in my basement making the installation virtually invisible. The installation was neat and clean taking about 4 hours to complete from start to finish. The connection was immediately established and working within minutes. Right now I only have a data connection but plan to migrate my telephone service and cable television service over to FIOS. Television is not yet available in my area due to cable TV franchise issues with local communities. I know it's only been one day since I have had this service but so far there is no comparison between FIOS and cable modem. I highly recommend Verizon Fios to anyone in the Putnam County area of New York State.

Comments:

Review by salman59 See Profile

• Location: Bradenton,Manatee,FL
Good "Speed, Reliability, Price"
Bad "Nothing to report yet"
Overall "More choices will bring the prices down"

Installation went smoothly. They even transferred my (supposedly) land line on the fiber. I am switching to Vonage anyway. My linksys BEFSX41 has some problem acquiring as IP with PPPoE so I am using theD-Link provided by Verizon. A quick bandwidth check from Speakeasy showed close to 5 down and 2 Up speed.

I am just waiting for them to start their TV offerings in Bradenton.

Comments:

Review by eortiz See Profile

• Location: Land O Lakes,Pasco,FL
Good "The price and speed"
Bad "needs to improve on sub-contractor laying the fiber"
Overall "Awsome!!!!!!!!!"

The price is great with the speed that I'm receiving. It beats Bright House price and speed. The only concern I have is that the sub-contractor that lay the fiber and broke my pipe for the sprinkler. I called a few time to have them fix it but the only thing they have done is put the dirt back in the hole and called it a day. So, now I have to be the bad customer and call and speak to a supervisor and call Verizon about the issue at hand. But I'm very happy with Verizon and the way the have treated me, very professional help desk and techs. Now if the can get a better sub-contractor to due the job right the first time it would help the next customer. But I would like to say the the tech who install Fios, was awsome, oustanding and very professional!!!

Comments:

Review by islesfan56 See Profile

• Location: Manhasset,Nassau,NY
Good "Reliable, Fast, NOT CABLEVISION!"
Bad "No Phone Servc. w/ Extended Black Outs"
Overall "No Brainer"

Get it its awesome!!

Comments:

Review by javajws See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
Good "Blazing speed"
Bad "Verizon missed install date...with no warning"
Overall "Definately worth the trouble....love the speed"

I signed up for FiOS on the first date it was available in my area. They gave me an install date for 7 days later on a Monday. Saturday before the install we received an automated call to confirm the appointment, which we did. We were told the install would be the following Monday between 8am and Noon.

At 12:15pm the following Monday, we still didn't have a Verizon truck. I called our local FiOS number 3 times before being told to call the 800 number. After 2 calls to the 800 number, I finally got a good customer service rep. He said that they had overbooked and that I would have to go to the back of the line for installations. After saying that was not acceptable, he said that he would check into getting a better date and call me back. He also offered me a $25 credit, since I had taken a day off work for the install. He promptly called back and said that the service would be installed the following day.

At 9am the next day the installer arrived. He worked until 3pm at which time our service was active. It took me some time after he left to get our wireless router working, but it was well worth the wait and trouble. The speed is just amazing. It's night and day over the dialup service we had previously. The World Wide Wait is over.

I highly recommend FiOS to anyone with anything less than DSL.

Comments:

Review by MrPib See Profile

• Location: Shohola,Pike,PA
Good "Fast, reliable, flawless since installed 2.5 months ago"
Overall "Don't hesitate to order when FiOS is available."

I ordered 5/2 FiOS on 9/29 -- the day my town went live -- for a 10/12 install. ( The earliest available date was 10/7).

I have a room in the basement where all of my phone, tv, and network wiring is located, so I installed a new board on the wall for the FiOS equipment.

Two installers arrived on-time on the 12th, and were competent, friendly, and very considerate. There was no problem having the ONT located in the basement. The installation was uneventful, and they left my voice and 3/768 DSL service up and running the whole time. Good thing, because I was telecommuting that day!

I've had NO problem since then. My TiVos, alarm system, and VoIP adapter are working perfectly.

Comments:

Review by 95flhr See Profile

• Location: Springfield,Fairfax,VA
Good "Quick to sell you service"
Bad "Can't seem to get the installation right, so far the service is not reliable."
Overall "So far I am not impressed, Missed install appointments & unreliable service."

Ordered Verizon Fios service in Northern VA. Installation date was supposed to be on nov. 18 th. I waited from 8 AM to 5 PM for the installer to show, no phone call, no show. I called, they had no status, called again on Monday, no status. Finally get a status on Wednesday 11/23, there was a problem downline from my house, it is repaired. They have expedited the installation to 12/10.

Customer service withing Verizon Stinks on the order to installation side.

12/10/05 - Installers show up, they figure out there is no connectivity to the house. Several hours of troubleshooting, they figure out there is a bad fiber link and find a new way to route the signal. After that the installation goes without a hitch.

12/18 - after a week the service has been flawless on the data side, there have been some minor issues with the voice side of the service. the issues are with features such as caller ID no longer consistently works. Made a call, they think they have that repaired, we'll see.

12/25 - no voice, no data. I called the Fios repair number and they troubleshot it remotely. They think the Battery Back up unit is bad, best they can do is a replace it on Tuesday the 27th. I understand today is Christmas, but I have no phone service, and they expect me to take another day off work, so they can repair or replace parts. What am I missing? Who do I send the bill to for all the time I am waiting around for Verizon?

12/26 - got a surprise visit from a Veriaon ech. He found an issue with the power supply and now I'm up and running again. we'll see for how long.

Comments:

Review by DoozerM See Profile

• Location: Vienna,Fairfax,VA
Good "Fast Internet, Great Support"
Bad "Phone Side has echoes, Power Loss = dead phone after backup battery dies"
Overall "Worth it for the capabilities and speed"

I've had Verizon FIOS for a little over a month now. The install was smooth except the internet did not work right away. They had to call their office and configure something remotely. They resolved it before the install guys left, so I was impressed off the bat.

The internet is blazing fast (15/1.5) and I have had no problems with it. I wish I could say the same for the phone side. They switched over my phone to fiber from the copper wiring. I was bummed to learn that if the power goes out, then the backup battery is what powers your phone service. The phone service has had 2 issues since we switched. First, some of our phones caller id's don't work with it. CS says it is because the phones aren't supporting the "new" standard, whatever that is. But the phones are AT&T so that seems weird... The second issue is that my wife has heard echoes on the line during some calls. I'm considering VOIP as an alternative....

Overall, it's a great service. I'm looking forward to seeing what cable services they offer in the future.

Comments:

Review by zuni5 See Profile

• Location: Tampa,Hillsborough,FL
Good "The speed"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Glad I did it"

I ordered the 5/2 setup for $34. Was given a window of 10AM to 2PM for the install. The installer arrived at 10:45. He did a walk around and then asked how I wanted it set up. Per my request the box/battery is dropped behind my desk along with my two UPS and other power supplies. My entire network 7 computers with a mix of equipment and wired/wireless connections) remained intact as he simply unplugged the CAT5 that previously went from the DSL modem to my gateway system and attached it to the new equipment. He moved the account over and I was off and running. No need to download any software. On the Verizon site the speed had always shown 5.1 to 5.3 down and around 2 for the upload. Per the DSLReports tools speed test sites it has been consistantly between 4.6 and 4.8 down and around 1.4 for the upload. Glad I made the switch. Now it's tough going to work where I have to share a T1.