Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1930 reviews (1457 good) (141 bad)

Review by 95flhr See Profile

• Location: Springfield,Fairfax,VA
Good "Quick to sell you service"
Bad "Can't seem to get the installation right, so far the service is not reliable."
Overall "So far I am not impressed, Missed install appointments & unreliable service."

Ordered Verizon Fios service in Northern VA. Installation date was supposed to be on nov. 18 th. I waited from 8 AM to 5 PM for the installer to show, no phone call, no show. I called, they had no status, called again on Monday, no status. Finally get a status on Wednesday 11/23, there was a problem downline from my house, it is repaired. They have expedited the installation to 12/10.

Customer service withing Verizon Stinks on the order to installation side.

12/10/05 - Installers show up, they figure out there is no connectivity to the house. Several hours of troubleshooting, they figure out there is a bad fiber link and find a new way to route the signal. After that the installation goes without a hitch.

12/18 - after a week the service has been flawless on the data side, there have been some minor issues with the voice side of the service. the issues are with features such as caller ID no longer consistently works. Made a call, they think they have that repaired, we'll see.

12/25 - no voice, no data. I called the Fios repair number and they troubleshot it remotely. They think the Battery Back up unit is bad, best they can do is a replace it on Tuesday the 27th. I understand today is Christmas, but I have no phone service, and they expect me to take another day off work, so they can repair or replace parts. What am I missing? Who do I send the bill to for all the time I am waiting around for Verizon?

12/26 - got a surprise visit from a Veriaon ech. He found an issue with the power supply and now I'm up and running again. we'll see for how long.

member for 13.8 years, 1856 visits, last login: 4.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by DoozerM See Profile

• Location: Vienna,Fairfax,VA
Good "Fast Internet, Great Support"
Bad "Phone Side has echoes, Power Loss = dead phone after backup battery dies"
Overall "Worth it for the capabilities and speed"

I've had Verizon FIOS for a little over a month now. The install was smooth except the internet did not work right away. They had to call their office and configure something remotely. They resolved it before the install guys left, so I was impressed off the bat.

The internet is blazing fast (15/1.5) and I have had no problems with it. I wish I could say the same for the phone side. They switched over my phone to fiber from the copper wiring. I was bummed to learn that if the power goes out, then the backup battery is what powers your phone service. The phone service has had 2 issues since we switched. First, some of our phones caller id's don't work with it. CS says it is because the phones aren't supporting the "new" standard, whatever that is. But the phones are AT&T so that seems weird... The second issue is that my wife has heard echoes on the line during some calls. I'm considering VOIP as an alternative....

Overall, it's a great service. I'm looking forward to seeing what cable services they offer in the future.

Comments:

Review by zuni5 See Profile

• Location: Tampa,Hillsborough,FL
Good "The speed"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Glad I did it"

I ordered the 5/2 setup for $34. Was given a window of 10AM to 2PM for the install. The installer arrived at 10:45. He did a walk around and then asked how I wanted it set up. Per my request the box/battery is dropped behind my desk along with my two UPS and other power supplies. My entire network 7 computers with a mix of equipment and wired/wireless connections) remained intact as he simply unplugged the CAT5 that previously went from the DSL modem to my gateway system and attached it to the new equipment. He moved the account over and I was off and running. No need to download any software. On the Verizon site the speed had always shown 5.1 to 5.3 down and around 2 for the upload. Per the DSLReports tools speed test sites it has been consistantly between 4.6 and 4.8 down and around 1.4 for the upload. Glad I made the switch. Now it's tough going to work where I have to share a T1.

Comments:

Review by sunilonln See Profile

• Location: Beaverton,Washington,OR
Good "Blazing fast! Friendly installation crew."
Bad "Included router isn't so great. Neighborhood construction took much longer than necessary."
Overall "FiOS beats all of the competition by far."

I've been waiting for this service since the day I realized FTTH was a possibility. After waiting 7 months for Verizon's contractor to finish up the buildout in my neighborhood, I placed an order for 15/2 service as soon as it was available. When I called in, the rep matched all of the deals available online (free 1st month, etc).

The installation, while a bit long at 3 hours, was everything I expected it to be. The tech installed an Optical Network Terminal outside of the house, with a battery backup in the garage, and ran CAT5 on the outside of the house to two locations of my choosing (the second drop cost $75). Apparently Verizon does not allow them to fish the CAT5 due to "liability issues."

The service worked flawlessly by the time the installer was done, with actual speeds at 15195(down)/1846(up) kbps according to »speedtest.integra.net -- these speeds are extremely consistent so far, with very little fluctuation upon repeated testing. IP addresses are dynamic, assigned via PPPoE, and are subject to change frequently.

I've had cable internet (@Home, ATTBI, and then Comcast) for over 6 years, and this is an incredible step up - in terms of both connection speed and customer service.

member for 11.6 years, 223 visits, last login: 8.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by Rigeltiger See Profile

• Location: Leesburg,Loudoun,VA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Fastest ever."
Bad "Can't run simple servers."
Overall "If you can get it, you shouldn't buy anything else."

12/21/05:
Switched from a 1.2M/128K wireless provider ($55/mo) to 30M/5M Fios ($55/mo) on 12/19.

Price on the website showed $150 for 30/5 until you ran the availability check. Then the price showed as $55. They should fix that.

Easy installation, but long (3 hrs). Showed up on time. Required drilling a hole in the back of the house to set up a battery in the furnace closet.

Initial speeds 22M/3M on one PC, 5M/3M on two others. Installers didn't know how to boost it, blamed it on old drivers or old NICs. After they left, I found the two slow PCs were connected to a 10M switch. Replaced it with a 10/100M switch, speeds matched.

Ran the Fios optimization tool on Verizon's website and wrang another few Ms out of it. Now up to 26M/4M. Not sure how or if it's possible to squeeze closer to the golden 30M/5M, but I'm not complaining too loudly.

The IP viewed from the outside is attached to a Verizon server pool, so running servers doesn't really work, alas. I really wanted to keep my radio station running. :/

Lots of email addresses and newsgroups are nice to have.

Overall, so far so good.

member for 13.4 years, 1604 visits, last login: 1.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by brainlessdog See Profile

• Location: Portsmouth,Rockingham,NH
Good "Fast, haven't been down yet."
Bad "pppoe"
Overall "Get It If You Can"

Install on 11/29/05.

15/2 Plan.

Great service!

Tech did a superb, clean job both inside and outside. Had 784k dsl before, and would have an issue or two a month. No problems at all. Can't wait for the video and dumping Comcast!

Comments:

Review by use_ssh See Profile

• Location: Reston,Fairfax,VA
Good "Very Fast Install, Knowledgable installer, advertised speeds, price"
Bad "PPPoE"
Overall "Definitely worth it."

Recently changed from Vonage to Verizon for hone phone service. On a whim, I decided to see if our new number qualified for FIOS. Found out we were available for FIOS!! Proceeded with the online order to discover that the 30/5 package could be had for $54/month with a 1yr agreement. Hit the order button. No way was I passing that up.

Received about two or three phone calls to confirm the install date. Dec. 20th rolls around and so I took a day off from work. The contractor arrives around 9am and ran the fiber the day of the install. In digging the trench, the contractor cut my Comcast cable. Luckily, he was able to repair it. So no big deal. I understand it happens. Comcast was back up to the normal 16/1 speeds. Contractor's work takes about 30-45 minutes.

I wait the rest of the day until 3:30pm when the installer calls and says he'll be there at 4pm. I thought, damn, I could have went to work and left early. Oh well.

The installer showed up by himself. He started about 4:10pm and worked through until about 6:30pm when we confirmed that the service was up and running at the advertised speeds. The installer did a fantastic job. I kept asking questions and he continued to answer them.

Overall, I am very happy with the process and FIOS. My only complaint right now is that they user PPPoE. Blocked ports I can deal with. Luckily they only appear to block port 80 inbound.

U_S

Comments:

Review by firewalls4u See Profile

• Location: Exton,Chester,PA
Good "Professional onsite installers; good value; responsive customer service; clear voice calls."
Bad "Amatuer trenching and repair; misinformation from techs; PTR mappings took forever"
Overall "Excellent technology; get it if you can."

Summary: I have the 15/2 package with 5 static IP addresses, using my own router (OS based). Customer service and tech support are responsive and convey an interest in helping. Tech Support can be thin on routing, WHOIS, and PTR issues - if you persist the 1st level techs will get the answers you want, they just might not be the correct answers! Good value for the money, despite some technical misinformation from Verizon.

Note: This is a Business class circuit; so you can ignore Verizon suggestions to use PPPOE, as this is not required for business (static) service.

If upgrading from static DSL, and you are hosting services dependent upon DNS, make sure YOU request and track the issues like PTR changes because Verizon will not automatically do this for you. These changes take several days to process through Verizon's system, then require a typical propogation time.

The Verizon subcontractor (generic) who brought the final conduit trench to the premise did a terrible job of repairing his work. This is in contrast to the Henkle contractors who dug up the entire developement up over a period of days and didn't leave a trace of their work afterwards. Verizon has a special number for install damage. A nuisance to manage, and we ended up doing our own seeding repairs.

Open issues 90 days after install:

1) Verizon insists on listing the name of the employee, NOT the business, who ordered the FIOS in WHOIS lookups. I have placed several calls so far to correct this privacy breach and it is still unresolved. At one point, Verizon refered me to Network Solutions, Inc. to make the whois changes which is laughable.

2) Subneting. Verizon techs advised on multiple occasions, through various levels of support engineers that our subnet mask would be 255.255.255.0. This is incorrect. While you might be able to configure your router to work in this manner, Verizon does indeed subnet correctly and so should you. Initially, there statements caused us some angst due to the potential routing issues, but we've tested this thouroughly and you can ignore this misinformation from Verizon as well. Verizon does subnet correctly.

UPDATED 12/19/2005: Revised to reflect Verizon subnet practices

Comments:

Review by wernox See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
Good "Fantastic speed, consistent performance"
Bad "Sticky hardware issue stumped everyone involved"
Overall "Great performance, great value"

I've had my FIOS connection for about two weeks now and all I can say is WOW. The install went fine, we have arial utilities so the initial contractor turned the job back over to Verizon who came out on the Saturday after Thanksgiving to maintain the initial promised timeline.

The hardware install went fine, the installers didn't seem to be very PC savy so I kinda took over once they got the cat 5e run to my home office. There was one problem that I ultimately solved on my own.

When the connection first came up, the WAN light would be blinking like it was on fire and my download speed would be stuck at 2500 Kbps or even lower (I have the 15/2 package). I had to call Verizon and have them reboot the ONT to get things working properly and then they would randomly go bad again without any explanation. The light for the port where my PC connected to the router stayed on during those periods, indicating to me and everyone else that the problem was outside my network.

On a lark, after my 5th or 6th call to Verizon, I rebooted my router without my PC plugged in.....I was using the 10/100/1000 port built into my motherboard via the PCIE bus for ethernet and thought maybe it was somehow triggering the problem. Sure enough, the router light stayed solid and I was able to connect at full speed using laptop or one of my other PC's with no problems. I put a a 10/100 PCI card in and it's been smooth sailing ever since. Just wish someone would have suggested trying that sooner.

Comments:

Review by jammerx See Profile

• Location: Virginia Beach,Virginia Beach City,VA
Good "high speed finally"
Bad "none"
Overall "worth the wait, now for TV!!!! another year!!!"

I waited and waited but it was worth the wait. The install was fine. The tech was cool. I had ran CAT5e thru ENT from my desk to thru the attic in the wall to the entrance point. I was offerd 36.99 for 12 months as a promotion. I am the first one on the street to have it. The install was 4 hours, but that what I expected. The test from the speakeasy site to the DC server is 14.8 down and 1.7 up. I have Dlink router.

downloadDoc1.zip 128,903 bytes