Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1917 reviews (1452 good) (138 bad)

Review by joecon See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA
Good "Fast...fast...fast!!!!"
Bad "Router is not that great"
Overall "Get it if you can!!!"

Got my fios installed on nov 30th, I'm loving it!!!! It took all day to install, most of that being running 500 feet of line to the house. The technician was fantastic and friendly. The router kind of sucks though. My old 802.11b sent out a much stronger signal to my 2nd computer. I did have to go get 2-25 feet lenghts of cable to reposition the router closer to my 2nd computer.

To make a long story short, everything was great!! Get it if you can!!!

Comments:

Review by bmarriott See Profile

• Location: Westborough,Worcester,MA
Good "Speed, Smooth Instalation"
Bad "none"
Overall "Great performance - for a low price"

I have had DSL for 5 years see

»Review of XO COMMUNICATIONS by bob marriott

and

»Review of Speakeasy by bmarriott

I love Speakeasy, I am very sad to say good bye to them - it was alot harder then you think but 50x download and 100x upload for $15 less a month is real hard to pass up. Goodbye web / dns / mail servers. Goodby static IP's (with reverse lookup). Goodbye a reliability that is unbelieveable (verizon wires actually).

Long Live Speakeasy....

Hello Verizon.

The NET-NET - On 11/21 I ordered 15/2 for $45. On 11/22 they ran the optics (@500 feet down a private shared road). On 11/29 The turned it on. Outstanding.

I ordered the 15Mb down / 2Mb up. I really considered going business for $99 but decided to save ISP and electricity $'s (three computers on 24 hours a day does add up). When I talked to the order people they mentioned that the 30/5 service came down in price to $59 - That is a price that is hard to say no to - but my wife helped me (15/2 at $45 sigh). I haven't seen or heard of that price anywhere else so it may be bad information - YMMV. Also the Techs thought the Business had gone to 5M/5M - man that is a tough entry price to beat - I imagine a lot of T1's / T3's will be in danger. I was in a business that went bust because of 3 T1's at $2100/Month.

They give a Dlink router for home - They want extra for a wireless, since I already have one I got wired from them. Seems to work fine.

They are doing PPPoE - one of hte reasons for thier router is that it supports PPPoE at this speed.

The Dr Ping times are wierd - the first run is always 300+ but subsequent runs are 60, its almost like they are calculating the routes in real time but once set they fly.

Other bad/good experiences?

A couple of nits: The tech's are new and are learning. It was actually fun to talk with them and help them understand some of the esoteric. Over the course of the two visits there were a total of 4 technicians over all and they were all great. They are very excited about the direction of the company although they wished they had better info and experience.

They say they stay till the service is up and they are - but Verizon has to get a better speed test server/app for their techs to use. Verizon's speed app varies between 4M and 9M down. When I go to speakeasy's (NY) or the east coast one here on DSL reports I get 14.6Mb+. I see a solid 16% on my 100Mbit Ether NEt and I get my downloads at rated speed. With thier app I was real bummed but reality is great.

Update 12/14 -

No problems. The speed is still great when I check it. Highly recommended

Comments:

Review by cjax See Profile

• Location: Parsippany,Morris,NJ
Good "Great Speed at a Good Price"
Bad "Installation leaves a little more to be desired"
Overall "Great value, very close to actual speed advertized"

I've had the Verizon 15/2 FiOS Internet service for about two weeks.

The technician arrived 9:30a.m. and left around 2:30p.m. I had a total of two computers hooked up. One computer was on the other side of the house from where the ONT was. This was not a problem being that this particular room sat above my garage. Running the cat 5e cables from the upstairs computer room, down to the garage and to the basement where the router resides was for the most part straight forward. The technician could have done more of a professional job by wrapping the slack cat 5e cable up. I later fixed this and it turned out to be 45 mins worth of work, taking the old staples holding in the cable fixing the cable run then restapling it.

Overall I am impressed with the speeds. I also appreciated how Verizon over provisions users so they can achieve close to the advertised speeds.

I've only had one issue since the install. One night I was getting only 4mpbs down and 2mbps up. This was an issue on both installed computers. I later learned that VZ was doing some work on one of the PON splitter boxes in the area. Connection speeds resumed to normal the next morning. I did appreciate that instead of losing my connection I was only slowed down.

Lastly as a disclaimer, I am a Verizon employee hence the 15/2 for $39.95
I have tried to provide an unbiased opinion of VZ FiOS as an ISP. If in your area I would recommend trying it out, as it seems so far to be reliable in uptime as well as in dl/ul speeds.

Comments:

Review by laudensa See Profile

• Location: Reston,Fairfax,VA
Good "Speed, reliability"
Overall "Fantastic. 3x the speed of Comcast, $10 less/mo,"

The wait from subcontractor running fiber from DLCs to the distribution boxes to actual availability was painful, but worth it! Best pre-sales info came from BBR - as usual - the Verizon pre-sales info was nice glossy marketing hype completely lacking in giving the whole picture of what to expect. Not a lot of detail.

Install coordination was fine - everything was ready to go when the tech showed up, on time.

On-line tech support is a bit simplistic. definitely not geared to IT pros or even advanced users, rather for people with limited experience using computers, and little desire to learn more. Having just skimmed through it to see what is offerred, the online tech support seems to have a "dots-for-tots" depth. No occasion to call for human tech support.

This was a very difficult install for the tech to accomplish, and in the end he could not run the Cat 5e cable from the ONT to my primary system quite as originally envisioned due to the physical construction of the house, but the tech really worked hard to get it the best way, and only settled for the alternate after we came to a mutual conclusion that it just couldn't be done. In the end it was a good job with a perfectly acceptable and professional appearance.

So far, no problems, just 100% uptime, and measured throughput of 14.92 down/1.83 up. The one thing I would hit them on is the Acceptable Use Policy, which forbids running servers. With this much bandwidth, it would be nice if those who had the capability and desire were allowed to run their own web/e-mail servers.

Comments:

Review by SNOldak924 See Profile

• Location: Bethesda,Montgomery,MD
Good "speed, price, value"
Bad "none"
Overall "If you can, do it."

Called one night, asked for service, and they set up an appointment. From then on, everything was perfect. Tech support is ok, but I have local service with mci, so it takes 20 minutes to find my info. So much better than Comcast.

member for 11.1 years, 206 visits, last login: 6.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by jameshaley See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
Good "Solid connection, good speed, better price than comcast"
Bad "The supplied D-Link wireless router needs a periodic reboot."
Overall "Worth the money; a better value than comcast"

The connection has been very consistant. The install was about 2 hours.

The only negative is the router needs to be reset every so often; I'm waiting for new firmware.

Comments:

Review by bonus See Profile

• Location: Portland,Washington,OR
Good "Fast, Solid Connection"
Bad "None yet"
Overall "Just do it"

I was stuck at 768/128 forever and was finally able to get fios. I opted for th 5/2 for 29.99. Other than some initial confusion on Verizon's end about boring the fiber to the house everything went off without a hitch. About a 4 hour install time from start to finish. I don't know how good their tech support is because I haven't needed it yet. I ditched the included wired dlink router for my Linksys wrt54gs and it works beautifully.

Very satisfied.

member for 10.5 years, 1266 visits, last login: 1.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by jsnwtlr See Profile

• Location: Carrollton,Denton,TX
Good "Fast...Reliable...Fast...Reliable...Fast...Reliable"
Bad "A little pricy and PPPoE sucks but, otherwise, there really aren't any."
Overall "I've had DSL and cable but FIOS is the best."

I ordered 15 Mbps down/2 Mbps up for $49.95 per month. I ended up getting the $5 bundle discount because I have Verizon phone service so the final total is $44.95 + $1.65 tax = $46.60 per month. They wanted to schedule the install sooner than I could be ready. The pre-installers came within a couple of days to run the fiber to my house. They had to route it through my backyard but did a good job. You can no longer even tell where they dug the small trench. The techs arrived on time on the right day, and did an excellent job putting in the ONT and running the cable. I had one extra run installed for an additional $75. They ran the cable through the attic, fished it through the walls, and put in outlets. All-in-all it was a very professional job. It took a total of about four hours with two techs. I got the free wired router and left it in for a few weeks to make sure everything was working. Then I substituted my SMC 7004VBR because I want the SPI firewall. It still works flawlessly. I regularly get 14.8 Mbps down. I frequently find that download speeds are limited by the server on the other end rather than the size of my download pipe. I don't pay much attention to the up speeds. I'm not really crazy about PPPoE but, other than an occasional momentary delay while the login is executed, it's not that much of a bother. The connection has been rock solid, similar to my experience with DSL (and in contrast to my cable modem connection which had to be hard reset at least every month or so). Getting used the idea of supplying the power for my phone service has been a little different. However, we have had one significant power outage of about three hours and the phone worked (including ringing for inbound calls) for the whole time. I didn't try the Internet connection during the outage. My advice to anyone considering FIOS is to jump on it.

member for 9.6 years, 4226 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by sdoghome See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA
Good "awsome speed once installed properly"
Bad "have to use there d-link router with special firmware"
Overall "awsome! awsome! awsome!"

Be sure to use this speedtest »miranda.ctd.anl.gov:7123/ , most speedtest's have a problem with the speed of FIOS. Only other problem we ran into is making sure you have the proper MTU settings. There is a link on the verizon website somewhere that changes these settings to optimize for FIOS. Installers were new in my area and were very helpful. One negative seems to be that they do not have there billing down to a science yet (especially if you bundle your phone service with the internet.

Comments:

Review by jkaplan See Profile

• Location: Reston,Fairfax,VA
Good "Fast, Cheap, Reliable so far"
Bad "PPPOE"
Overall "Get it if you can"

I ordered Verizon FIOS, 30 megs down/ 5 megs up for $54.95 a month. This is a special promotion in my area (Fairfax County, VA) because Cox is attempting to compete on download speed. The area I live in in Fairfax county is serviced by Comcast though and they are not attempting in the slightest to compete with Verizon. Apparently, Verizon doesn't care. I did sign up for a year long commitment and there is a $99 contract termination.

I ordered my install at the end of October, but got a later install date so I could get a weekend install. The guys showed up at 3:30 pm on a Saturday and finished by 6:00 pm. They hooked up the ONT outside and ran the cables inside for data and battery backup. They cleaned up after themself as well. I didn't feel like configuring their D-link wired router that night (and haven't had a chance since), so I just set my old router on the dmz. Everything worked fine. I did not let them configure any of my systems (mac, linux, and windows). They had no problem with that. They gave me the necessary information and I configured them myself.

I had comcast and was paying $42.95 a month for (supposedly) 6 megs down/ 384K up, when it would actually provide something close to that. Overall, I was upset with the comcast service, but the FIOS service is fast and cheap, two things near and dear to my heart.

They just announced cable service near my area as well and those prices will put a hurting on comcast. Can't wait to sign up for that as well.