Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1931 reviews (1456 good) (142 bad)

Review by jammerx See Profile

• Location: Virginia Beach,Virginia Beach City,VA
Good "high speed finally"
Bad "none"
Overall "worth the wait, now for TV!!!! another year!!!"

I waited and waited but it was worth the wait. The install was fine. The tech was cool. I had ran CAT5e thru ENT from my desk to thru the attic in the wall to the entrance point. I was offerd 36.99 for 12 months as a promotion. I am the first one on the street to have it. The install was 4 hours, but that what I expected. The test from the speakeasy site to the DC server is 14.8 down and 1.7 up. I have Dlink router.

downloadDoc1.zip 128,903 bytes
(Doc1.doc)

Comments:

Review by er51 See Profile

• Location: Delmar,Albany,NY
Good "Good installation, Extremely Fast"
Bad "PPPoE"
Overall "A great service"

FiOS just became available in my area, and I was the first one in the neighborhood to get it. I ordered FiOS on tuesday, and the tech showed up on friday at around 8:30. We had some trouble in the installation, as all my computer stuff in on the second floor of the house, and we had to run CAT5 wire up from the basement, but the tech managed to do it.

I ordered the 30/5 service for $55 per month (12 month contract), and couldn't be happier with the speed. On speakeasy NYC, I got 20000/4250, which is pretty good. I'm guessing 20 is saturating all their bandwidth, which is why I can't get up to 30. The price is a lot less than what I was paying for Road Runner ($70 for 8/512).

The equipment they gave was ok. They give you a D-Link 604 router for free with the order, however I'm using my Cisco 871w instead. I had some trouble getting the Cisco to work due to the PPPoE, but that was mostly due to my inexperience, not FiOS. PPPoE is kind of a pain, but the tech told me they were moving to DHCP in the spring. FiOS TV isn't available in my area yet, but I'll most likely be getting it when it is.

Overall, I am very happy with FiOS so far.

Comments:

Review by tomgrossi See Profile

• Location: Reston,Fairfax,VA
Good "Really fast when equipment works. I hate Comcast too, so what to do?"
Bad "Lied about pricing. Had defective equipment: 5 truck rolls (plus 3missed appts and many phone calls) and it still isn't fixed."
Overall "Worst customer service I have ever experienced anywhere in my life! No joke! The abosulte worst!"

I posted my full saga in the forum so I won't type it all here. Bottom line: if I can get this thing working so I don't have to talk to Verizon I may stay since the connection is fast and my Comcast cable modem went down about once a week (which is why I switched to Verizon). The problem I've had is there is a defective battery backup unit and they have come out 5 times now to "fix" it but have refused to replace it for some reason. They have replaced EVERY other piece of equipment including the ONT but not that. It is just crazy. They have missed several appointments, too. Also, they lied to me about the pricing. They are charging me $5 more per month than they told me when I signed up. I was super clear that I wanted month-to-month and they todl me there was a special for $44 (and that if I went 12 mo I could actually do $39)... but my bill comes and it is $49 and when I called they told me it was impossible that they told me $44. Serously. THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER! WORSE THAN COMCAST. WORSE THAN AIR FRANCE DURING A SNOWSTORM IN PARIS (which held my previous record for worst ever.)

Comments:

Review by clarkbhm See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA
Good "Fast connection at a good price"
Bad "Backup power supply unit"
Overall "Great upgrade if you can get it"

I had Verizon DSL for five years until deciding to upgrade to Verizon FIOS two months ago. It turns out that I made a good decision.

I'd been happy with Verizon DSL for the five years I was with them. I never experienced service outages with them and generally had no problems. The FIOS service has been the same thing--no problems. That's the best thing about the service.

I enjoy having always on internet and am prone to think out of sight out of mind. Since the FIOS service hasn't caused many any significant problems since I've starting using the service, I don't really think anything about it. Who wants to spend hours trying to mess around with their internet provider anyway? Just set it up and move on with life...

The installation process was rather easy. Even though they would have scheduled my setup for four days after my order, I wanted to wait until the Columbus Day holiday so that I wouldn't have to take time off of work. (No evening or weekend installation was a bit of a bummer). The installation took a little over three hours. There was only one guy doing the work. There was no digging involved either, just stringing the wires from the poles. He left the copper in place on his own accord, which I thought was interesting.

Anyway, I hit my only snag that evening after setup. Everything had been running fine all day. Towards the evening, I suddenly found that I couldn't connect to the internet. I searched and searched to figure out what the problem was, spending a few hours opening up the outside box to check the lights, checking my router configurations, etc. Finally, I noticed something on the outside box. It was running off of battery power. Well, there appeared to be no reason for this until I discovered what had happened.

During the installation of the backup power supply unit, the unit was plugged in to the nearest outlet in the basement. However, it turns out that this outlet was controlled by the light switch. Thus, when I went to turn off the lights to the basement, I inadvertantly turned off the power supply unit.

Since the backup power supply unit is only meant to connect your phone calls during a power outage, it had turned off the internet connection to my computer. Turning the switch back on was sufficient to solve my problem. I ended up having to have a new outlet installed which was not a switched outlet.

In the end, I don't think there was anything that the installation guy did wrong as he didn't know that it was a switched outlet. However, if you're considering getting the service, there are two related lessons to keep in mind:

1. The unit will not provide an internet connection if the power goes out.

2. Beware of using switched outlets with the power supply unit.

Other than that, I've had a splended time with my FIOS. Now I can download 100MB game demos in around 12 seconds...

member for 13.6 years, 412 visits, last login: 1.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by gunther2k See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
Good "Installation techs were wonderful and answered all questions, they got the answers for me if they didn't know"
Bad "None that I can think of"
Overall "I have not experienced the full impact of the speed, but I'm looking forward to it"

I ordered Verizon FIOS to supplant my Comcast HSI service. I will be saving $10 net per month and getting 15Mb down/2Mb up instead of Comcast's 6Mb down/768Kb up.

Due to a bit of mis-information, I did not get the service as soon as our neighborhood went live. Our neighborhood went live on November 25, 2005. They had me listed as having aerial lines to the house but they were not (all of my neighbors are, but ours is buried to the house) so I had to wait until they buried the fiber. My installation was today, December 7, 2005.

While getting the set up completed and getting the data line up only took just over two hours, testing the phone showed issues with "chattering" over the line as well as intermittent dial tone. The root cause was found to be a copper line was still coming into the house with 50V and this was causing an issue where the dial tone would get dropped. The techs were very courteous in answering my questions and defining what they were doing and why, filling me in on what to do in case of power failure (I found out that the power to the phone stops at 40% battery charge, but there is a button you can push to tap that reserve for emergency calls if needed), installation of software and very conscientious in how they completed their work and left things the way they were when the showed up.

I stayed with the free wired router as I decided to piggy-back my existing wireless router to it. I am getting close to 15000kbps down and 1900kbps up. Although the PCs connecting to the wireless router were not topping about 7000kbps, I'm sure it is an issue with the router being old. I may tweak it, but my sons are both happy with the performance.

I was the second person in our neighborhood of Fort Wayne to receive the service. I learned that there are a large number of techs that are currently on the payroll to aggressively roll this service out to people that want to sign up for it.

I am glad Fort Wayne (Mayor's office and Verizon here) pushed very hard to get this service in place as a test bed.

I will update the review as I get acclimated to this service.

Comments:

Review by skarphace See Profile

• Location: Lansdale,Montgomery,PA
Good "Good install, unbelievably quick and fast"
Bad "D-Link Router, PPPoE"
Overall "Well worth the install time and the low monthly fee."

Well, all I can say is that I've been waiting for this technology since my first dial-up connection 10 years ago. Since I first heard about FiOS, I've been checking with Verizon atleast once per week to see if it was available. About 2 weeks ago, I was approved and ordered online. The install date was 2 weeks later which wasn't great but well worth the wait.

The installers were there promptly, dropped the cable(which was attached to the group of houses, not on poles), and put a hole in my wall to bring it in. They decided to mount the ONT inside my house, which I was happy with. Since the ONT houses electronics, this was a good idea since electronics get stupid in the cold weather, not to mention protection from tampering.

So they mounted the really huge ONT(about 3 times the size of their NIT for copper) with the UPS(battery backup) and power supply on either side of it. This actually took up a considerable amount of space on my basement wall. They took extra care to make sure the install was clean and there were no cables hanging around. They punched a whole in the floor to get a CAT5 cable up to my core switch, however, they did offer to do a jack install.

After the cabling and basic equipment was installed, we connected one of my computers and started the registration and software installation. Usually, I hate the idea of installing an ISPs software and really dread it, but by doing a custom install, I was able to keep from installing any of it. That was nice and definetly a first. After that, they asked me to test it out before they left. I ran a speed test and bam, got a full 15Mbps down and 2Mbps up. Watched some iFilm.com movies with the techs and couldn't believe the kind of bandwidth I was getting. I have literally never seen such low latency and quick download speeds in commercial or residential installs.

I will be moving back to my own router though since I'm not a fan of D-link products and I was ammazed to find out that verizon doesn't care. I have full ownership of all the equipment and they will support it. And after reading the usage agreement, I was supprised to find out that we were allowed to run servers and have full usage of the service. However, there was a clause for traffic abuse.

Overall, this is the best residential service I have ever heard of and I have it at my house! I recommend FiOS to everyone.

Comments:

Review by .

• Location: Chino,San Bernardino,CA
Good "Professional install on schedule, stable, low latency, great speed both ways"
Bad "PPPoe"
Overall "FiOS just works. Flawless connectivity"

Had my FiOS installed 12/5/05, switched out the free DLink 604 router they include with a Linksys WRT54GSV4 running WRT-DD (12/3/05) speeds/pings are unreal.

(review was emailed in)

Comments:

Review by cmthru See Profile

• Location: Germantown,Montgomery,MD
Good "Faster than the speed I signed up for"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "It rocks!"

From the time the three man crew showed up it took just under three hours to complete the installation. The ONT was installed just outside my garage wall with the battery on the inside wall just above an electrical outlet. The CAT5 was run around to the back of the house and a small hole drilled in the wall to the basement. The only problem was that they were unable to get a 'light' through the fiber. The foreman had to ring up an office to have them do some sort of reset. In seconds all the indicators in the ONT were lit. I installed a Netgear wireless router and my internet connection worked perfectly. Using the Speakeasy speed test I found my speed was slightly higher than the 5Mbps I ordered. The workmen were very pleased at this. Interestingly they'd never heard of this speed test. When I used the Verizon test site it reported a much slower speed. Also they had not known of DSL Reports before. I told them of all the positive reports and they are pleased to hear of them.

Actually I do have a little complaint. The time frame for installers on the East Coast to show up is given from 8am to 5pm. There is no way to narrow it therefore one has to be home the whole day.

Comments:

Review by seraphim5 See Profile

• Location: Portland,Washington,OR
Good "Fast, Cheap, Reliable"
Bad "Presales and ordering"
Overall "Get it if it's available in your area"

If FIOS has come to your neighborhood, and you can tolerate the order process, I believe the inconvenience of dealing with the business office is off-set by the new technology, low cost, speed and reliability of Verizon's new offering. Sadly, there really isn't an easy way around the business office.

We ordered the base $35/mo service which includes 5Mbps/2Mbps, free installation, and router (which ain't a bad little unit--more on that later). We were early adopters in our neighborhood. From the time we placed the order (not an easy task), to on-site installation took approximately two weeks. The installation looks very professional, inside and out. (The service technician actually had a EE degree, and it was evident that he actually knew his stuff.) Installation also included wiring a single network drop using the existing CAT5 to our upstairs home office. After the wall jack was wired (analog and data), we plugged in the router, went through the quick and dirty Web configurator and started surfing.

WIthin a week or so we simplified our network by substituing the DI-604/Netgear RT-314 broadband routers, Netgear 10/100 switch, ZyXEL G-1000 WAP, and the Toshiba DOCSIS modem with a single Firebox Edge X5w. (Actually, there's still the box in the garage acting in the place of the DOCSIS, but at least it's not cluttering our office.) Installation of the little red fire engine was literaly a "plug and play" experience. We also uninstalled ZoneAlarm on the Windows boxes and deactivated the firewall on the XP Pro boxes. We also run OS X, and no changes were required on any of these platforms (they really do "just work").

Speed tests at several different Internet sites reveal very consistent performance--down and up--on all our platforms (an even mix of Mac OS X and Windows). We're mostly wireless (WPA AES on the trusted network), with the exception of the Windows 2000 Server. Other networking components include a SnapServer, JetDirect HP LaserJet 5mp, wireless Canon Pixma 4000R color printer, and Epson scanner. Guests log onto the Internet via the Optional network provided by the Firebox Edge 5Xw.

Yes, FIOS is currently PPPoE (you can't have everything).

As a pricing comparison, our previous ISP, Comcast, charged approximately $55/mo for ~4.5 Mbps/384Kbps! Comcast really wasn't bad as we happened to be on a pretty contained circuit, so our performance wasn't impacted by too many people. However, when I was tunneled into work and sync'd my Outlook client with Exchange, it took significanly longer. I cannot explain the difference other than the 2Mbps uplink provided by FIOS.

We think FIOS is well worth the inconvenience of dealing with Verizon's business office and hope that your experience is positive. We like it so far. Besides, it's a good excuse to upgrade the other components on your network!

Comments:

Review by ajschmitt See Profile

• Location: Winchester,Middlesex,MA
Good "Future proof technology, competition for Comcast, wicked fast!"
Bad "ONU is big, mount it inside"
Overall "The best broadband access, period."

Detailed review and install notes with pictures at »www.nyquistcapital.com/2005/12/0···install/

One important note - the ONU can be installed in your basement if you ASK NICELY.

I have the 15mbs service and it has been flawless for 2 months. Install was as smooth as could be. I cut the copper connection down myself.