Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1911 reviews (1452 good) (133 bad)

Review by bonus See Profile

• Location: Portland,Washington,OR
Good "Fast, Solid Connection"
Bad "None yet"
Overall "Just do it"

I was stuck at 768/128 forever and was finally able to get fios. I opted for th 5/2 for 29.99. Other than some initial confusion on Verizon's end about boring the fiber to the house everything went off without a hitch. About a 4 hour install time from start to finish. I don't know how good their tech support is because I haven't needed it yet. I ditched the included wired dlink router for my Linksys wrt54gs and it works beautifully.

Very satisfied.

member for 10.3 years, 1266 visits, last login: 359 days ago

Comments:

Review by jsnwtlr See Profile

• Location: Carrollton,Denton,TX
Good "Fast...Reliable...Fast...Reliable...Fast...Reliable"
Bad "A little pricy and PPPoE sucks but, otherwise, there really aren't any."
Overall "I've had DSL and cable but FIOS is the best."

I ordered 15 Mbps down/2 Mbps up for $49.95 per month. I ended up getting the $5 bundle discount because I have Verizon phone service so the final total is $44.95 + $1.65 tax = $46.60 per month. They wanted to schedule the install sooner than I could be ready. The pre-installers came within a couple of days to run the fiber to my house. They had to route it through my backyard but did a good job. You can no longer even tell where they dug the small trench. The techs arrived on time on the right day, and did an excellent job putting in the ONT and running the cable. I had one extra run installed for an additional $75. They ran the cable through the attic, fished it through the walls, and put in outlets. All-in-all it was a very professional job. It took a total of about four hours with two techs. I got the free wired router and left it in for a few weeks to make sure everything was working. Then I substituted my SMC 7004VBR because I want the SPI firewall. It still works flawlessly. I regularly get 14.8 Mbps down. I frequently find that download speeds are limited by the server on the other end rather than the size of my download pipe. I don't pay much attention to the up speeds. I'm not really crazy about PPPoE but, other than an occasional momentary delay while the login is executed, it's not that much of a bother. The connection has been rock solid, similar to my experience with DSL (and in contrast to my cable modem connection which had to be hard reset at least every month or so). Getting used the idea of supplying the power for my phone service has been a little different. However, we have had one significant power outage of about three hours and the phone worked (including ringing for inbound calls) for the whole time. I didn't try the Internet connection during the outage. My advice to anyone considering FIOS is to jump on it.

member for 9.3 years, 4140 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by sdoghome See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA
Good "awsome speed once installed properly"
Bad "have to use there d-link router with special firmware"
Overall "awsome! awsome! awsome!"

Be sure to use this speedtest »miranda.ctd.anl.gov:7123/ , most speedtest's have a problem with the speed of FIOS. Only other problem we ran into is making sure you have the proper MTU settings. There is a link on the verizon website somewhere that changes these settings to optimize for FIOS. Installers were new in my area and were very helpful. One negative seems to be that they do not have there billing down to a science yet (especially if you bundle your phone service with the internet.

Comments:

Review by jkaplan See Profile

• Location: Reston,Fairfax,VA
Good "Fast, Cheap, Reliable so far"
Bad "PPPOE"
Overall "Get it if you can"

I ordered Verizon FIOS, 30 megs down/ 5 megs up for $54.95 a month. This is a special promotion in my area (Fairfax County, VA) because Cox is attempting to compete on download speed. The area I live in in Fairfax county is serviced by Comcast though and they are not attempting in the slightest to compete with Verizon. Apparently, Verizon doesn't care. I did sign up for a year long commitment and there is a $99 contract termination.

I ordered my install at the end of October, but got a later install date so I could get a weekend install. The guys showed up at 3:30 pm on a Saturday and finished by 6:00 pm. They hooked up the ONT outside and ran the cables inside for data and battery backup. They cleaned up after themself as well. I didn't feel like configuring their D-link wired router that night (and haven't had a chance since), so I just set my old router on the dmz. Everything worked fine. I did not let them configure any of my systems (mac, linux, and windows). They had no problem with that. They gave me the necessary information and I configured them myself.

I had comcast and was paying $42.95 a month for (supposedly) 6 megs down/ 384K up, when it would actually provide something close to that. Overall, I was upset with the comcast service, but the FIOS service is fast and cheap, two things near and dear to my heart.

They just announced cable service near my area as well and those prices will put a hurting on comcast. Can't wait to sign up for that as well.

member for 11.8 years, 1625 visits, last login: 3.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by loonatik See Profile

• Location: Wylie,Collin,TX
Good "FAST, Comes with router"
Bad "Over Sea support, Horrible install"
Overall "Cant live without it"

Overall, fiber (verizon fios) is awesome. Very very fast, I download at 1900k and upload at 210k. However, I had a HORRIBLE experience with the installation. Verizon cut my cable line, so my cable people cut my fios line. They had to resplice the fiber which took all day long and required 3 different people to come out to figure out how to do it. It took them weeks to figure out to deal with the fact that they cut my cable line and wouldnt even call my cable company to fix it. Since that time its been pretty stable. One major disadvantage with fiber is the phone goes over the same line. So, if the fiber is down/messed up they cannot work on it until a short window of time at night. By law they cannot interrupt phone due to 911. Which means when you go down, you have longer down time.

Comments:

Review by topgun68 See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
Good "Fast down loads and uploads, very stable, cheap prices"
Bad "slow website server"
Overall "More for the bucks, Just plain fast"

Verizon FIOS the future of high speed internet and FIOS TV. If you like downloading large files and demo games. Then you would love Verizon FIOS high speed internet. I have the 15/2 package for $44 per month. The tech was very good. Installation was somewhat of a long process.Speed is near what it is supposed to be, and reliability has been fine.

member for 10.9 years, 385 visits, last login: 5.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by dhm201 See Profile

• Location: Ramsey,Bergen,NJ
Good "Fast & Reliable"
Bad "None so Far"
Overall "Awesome"

Replaced my DSL with it. Fast and reliable. Tech was friendly and did a fine job. Even ran an 'extra' line to my office from the router which is supposed to be a $60-70 charge. Verizon incorrecly billed my for install and when I called they took care of it and credited my account the next cycle.

Comments:

Review by RWoods See Profile

• Location: Montville,Morris,NJ
Good "Price and Speed"
Bad "None thus far"
Overall "If FIOS is available in your area, it's an excellent choice"

Everything went very smoothly. I opted for the 5/2 package at a cost of $24.95/mo (combined promotional offers for DSL customers and Verizon employees). Installation was free, as was the router. The tech was very good, neat and tidy. Installation was somewhat of a long process. I've only been connected for a few days, but thus far have been impressed. Speed is near what it is supposed to be, and reliability has been fine.

On a side note, my phone service is much better now. With copper, I often experienced static on damp/rainy days, but the FIOS seems to be much better. Overall, I am very satisfied.

UPDATE 12/5/05:

Upgraded to 15/2 @ $34.95...couldn't resist!

Comments:

Review by jfleming See Profile

• Location: Acton,Middlesex,MA
Good "Good install, works wonderfully"
Bad "lost my copper backup"
Overall "Well worth it"

I ordered 15 Mb/s / 2 Mb/s FIOS, with dynamic IP. Verizon called me, probably because I had filled in a form asking to be notified when FIOS was available. I tried to pay attention during the long reading of the boilerplate but probably missed some of it. An appointment was available 3 days after the call. The day before a tech showed up to do the outside work. The inside tech showed up at the beginning of the appointment window. Took about 1.5 hours to do the install, largely because I wanted the battery installed somewhat remote frmo the big outside box. The tech gave me the initial username and password so I didn't have to run the stupid CD. Internet came up immediately and tested at 14950 kb/s down and 1550 kb/s up, insignificantly different from the max download speed but somewhat less than the max upload speed. Since then upload testing runs 1000-1600 kb/s and download testing runs 1900-2300 kb/s.

They really want you to use one of their routers, with some special firmware that allows them to do some diagnostics. I opted for the free wired router, and set my wireless router up as 192.168.1.8 with DHCP turned off. (I kind of like this setup but there's no support or instructions for how to do it; you just have to know what you're doing.) Their router is a D-Link with the normal interface, and can be set up very easily from your web browser.

I didn't realize that my second line (for FAXes and emergencies) was going fiber too, and therefore would only work in a pwer loss situation until the battery died. I have a request in to go back to copper on that line; there's a group that handles such requests. We'll see.

I didn't notice that the second line wasn't working until the day after the install. I called in and a knowledgable and friendly tech walked me through inspecting the wiring, finding that there was a mis-wiring on that line. Got a tech out here the next morning to fix it.

Comments:

Review by spellr1 See Profile

• Location: Clarksburg,Montgomery,MD
Good "Technicians were extremly cooperative"
Bad "None as of yet"
Overall "Good service for the price"

Verizon had a subcontractor run conduit and fiber from the road to the house. Doesn't sound like much, but the length of the run is 3500 feet. The cost to Verizon to bring this service to me is extremely high, but since it is a free install, I do not have to pay for any of it.

It took about 3 weeks for the contractor to show and begin the trenching. It took the better part of two days to complete. Once it was done, there were two splices that needed to be made. Our install tech showed up on Wednesday and installed the ONT and Battery Backup. He ran the Cat5 to the office and had everything ready. The only problem is that the splicer was on the other side of the service area and wouldn't be able to make it out that night. We were told that he would come out on Friday or Saturday to do the splices and complete the install.

Friday morning rolls around and one Verizon van showed up at about 10am with a bucket truck rolling in right behind. They had completed the splices and just needed to get the service online. After about 5 minutes they came in to the office. We removed the connection to the Direcway satellite and connected the Cat5. Wham, bam, thank you ma'am. We were up and running. I've got the wireless network running already as well.

I am very satisfied with Verizon's technicians and the job that they did.