Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1955 reviews (1463 good) (148 bad)

Review by bsp0238 See Profile

• Location: Rowlett,Dallas,TX
Good "Great Speed, VERY low latency, excellent cost"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "If you can get it, it's about the best you can get"

I've been a customer for over a year. I wanted to put this review on for anyone looking for a long term experience. I have to say, I'm pretty impressed. This connection has been able to handle anything I can throw at it. I did a little test the other day, I fired up an online game, was downloading windows updates on a secondary computer and was on a VOIP call at the same time. The result: 8m/s average latency on the game, fast download, and perfect quality on the call with no interruptions. I've heard of a few people around town having some trouble, but so far I haven't had any. A year with no problems is quite a feat as far as I'm concerned.

Comments:

Review by JHEM See Profile

• Location: Medford,Burlington,NJ
Good "SPEED!!!!"
Bad "None as yet."
Overall "Fantastic speed and crystal clear voice lines."

Ordered 3mb down and 1.5mb up FIOS upgrade 10 days ago. Verizon installed my ONT yesterday and initiated the service. Lo and behold I have FIVE down and TWO up, tech said that's what everyone is getting in this area.

Upgraded from 768/128 copper DSL line for $5 LESS per month!

Blows my Comcast 3mb cable service into the weeds.

Comments:

Review by Manizales See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
Good "Faster and Cheaper than Comcast Cable Internet"
Bad "direct router, need second router for firewall"
Overall "Best service for the money"

When I had Cable I had a modem, then Router (was a good setup for security)

I have only a router between me and Internet. I am going to try adding another router, so one will act as a Firewll.

I have Packet8 Phone Service and it works well with FIOS.

Comments:

Review by mdmfios See Profile

• Location: Plano,Collin,TX
Good "Excellent Speed, Excellent Customer Service"
Bad "3rd Party Contractor (Housley) to lay fiber to neighborhood"
Overall "FiOS Rocks! Speed (5Mbps/2Mbps) as advertised"

I had no problems with either the install of the Fiber from the curb to the house or the install of the Optical Network Terminal. All Verizon employees were great. You could barely tell they ran anything at all. They were careful with the sod and dirt. They did break a sprinkler line when laying the cable, but immediately fixed it.

I was not happy when the third party cotractors tore up the yard laying the initial fiber to the neighborhood earlier in the year. Although they stayed within the easment, they broke a sprinkler line that I didn't find out about for a couple of weeks and ended up having to repair myself.

The install of the ONT was very smooth and quick as well, though I already had 2 CAT 5e cables run to the service entrance to my central patch panel and all interior wiring was already in place so it was very easy. Voice was placed on one cable and Data was placed on the second.

I am ready for FiOS TV which I was told will start selling in my area (Murphy, TX) next week. I can't wait to fire Comcast!

BTW, supposedly if you get FiOS TV, your speed will be 10Mbps even if you only order 5Mbps service.

So far, a happy customer

Comments:

Review by Insane2k3k See Profile

• Location: Murrieta,Riverside,CA
Good "Once setup, it's well worth the money."
Bad "One installation apointment wasted..."
Overall "You need to remind them to scedual your apointment to acctuly have the fiber ran to your house"

On October 13th FiOS was avalable in my area.

Scedualed an apointment for the 24th of October.

The install crew comes out and tells us that the fiber that was suposed to be at the house wasn't at the house. Verizon forgot to make the first apointment for me to GET the fiber to my house. So, since this being on friday no one can lay the fiber to my house over the weekend, so I have to wait intill tuseday. Tuseday comes and they show up to lay the fiber, its done. And on top if it all, the install crew was about an hour late. Verizon hasn't said anything abou a new apointment so I had to call them up to get it scedualed for the 27th of October. They come the 27th, right on time very friendly install crew, this time they acctualy would rout cat5 through my house, the other crew said they coulden't. About an hour in ahalf later, everythings setup and working at full 15/2 like advertised. And to this day (Jan 2nd) It hasn't gone down once.

member for 11.6 years, 162 visits, last login: 6.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by mschwartz337 See Profile

• Location: West Chester,Chester,PA
Good "Friendly technicians, speed exactly as promised"
Bad "Terrible communication with buried cable contractor"
Overall "Excellent service. Need to find new buried cable contractor"

The technicians were awesome and very knowlegdable. The speed is exactly as advertised. I actually have internet speeds far greater than cable. I can't believe I downloaded a Linux ISO in 8 minutes!

Comments:

Review by GregPaskal See Profile

• Location: Plano,Collin,TX
Good "None Yet"
Bad "Verizon hired a 3rd party company to install fiber in our neighborhood. Lawn trashed and not repaired"
Overall "Verizon, you sure have a way of making bad first impressions"

Verizon has been tearing up our neighborhood for months. For weeks they had our front lawn torn up (without asking permission). When they finaly left, they left our lawn in a total mess. I have called over five times to have this mess cleaned up and their best attempt was to come and throw sod on top of the rubble pile they left. I called on this half-way attempt and no one showed up after they said they would come out and fix it. I am considering contacting the city next to see who gave these guys the OK to tear up all the neighborhoods (without any accountability) and then not return them back th their original state. City of Plano, TX, you have been duped by Verizon and while fiber will be nice some day, at the cost of our property value, forget it.

Verizon over all as an ISP has been terible anytime there has been a problem. I have been without DLS for weeks at a time and can honestly tell you, you will get a different answer everytime you call their tech support. I did once get someone that was helpful after Verizon decided to lose all of my static IP's without any notice and all our servers were down for nearly two weeks. This is a typical Verizon scenario and I think they are about one of the worst customer service companies I have ever worked with.

Comments:

Review by DolphinOne See Profile

• Location: Beaverton,Washington,OR
Good "Excellent connection; speed; service."
Bad "Waiting"
Overall "Great product well worth the wait"

I live in Beaverton / Aloha area.

In mid-November, I placed an order for Verizon Fios. To upgrade my existing DSL connection. We setup November 30th as the installation date.

On November 30th, the crew showed up and told us they could not proceed because we had no open space in our garage. (During the order two weeks earlier, no one mentioned a word about needing space in our garage for equipment to be installed.)

Over the next ten days, my family and I pitched in and made space where the person said the equipment would be installed. a day or two later, I called Verizon Fios back and rescheduled the order. They were booked solid until December 29th. So, we set an installation date of December 30th.

December 30th saw the installation crew show up a tad bit late and they stayed about 2-hours to drop one line, install equipment in our garage, and setup the Dlink DI-604 Rev E2 router. Their notes were very clear and helpful. The crew was very helpful.

Today, I've enjoyed seeing my download speeds at 15-MB rates. Its been enjoyable surfing the Internet and RDC into my office (where I am system admin) ... and I've setup a laptop and PC myself to connect through our router.

One concern ... I need a better firewall. I have desktop Zone Alarm Pro. Why? I've had eight (8) incoming high-level intrusions recorded by Zone Alarm Pro on my desktop alone since the Fios line was installed. I suggest others going with Fios consider stronger security.

Good luck everyone...

Comments:

Review by ViPaDawG See Profile

• Location: Centreville,Fairfax,VA
Good "Latency is AMAZING! Speeds as Advertised! Awesome Deal!"
Bad "Umm....none yet."
Overall "Get It If You Can. It's THAT Good!!"

On 12/16/05 I ordered the 5/2 Package online from the verizon site, and on 12/29/05 I was installed and running. The service is amazing. I'm an online gamer, and I need the lowest latencies possible, and From Washington D.C. I ping ~25ms to Chicago and ~40ms to Texas. My previous ISP was more like ~50ms to Chicago and ~65ms to Dallas. So this is a VERY VERY nice step up. Price is great too! $35 gets me 5mbps downstream and 2mbps upstream. Speeds are spot on, and I can hardly complain. After reading about some of the others who had trouble with installs, I was worried, but the Installer showed up with 30min to go in the "arrival" window, and was here for almost 5 hours working to get my service up and running. Hardest part was drilling a hole in the wall to get the Cat5 cable from the ONT to the Router. Other than that, installation was uneventful, and pretty brisk. The rep was knowledgeable, and very friendly. I got the D-Link DI-624 wireless router, and that works nice and brisk, giving me good speeds, and working fine with my other linksys adapters to the other computers in my house. FiOS uses Dynamic PPPoE to connect, however the installer told me that VZ will be switching over to DHCP soon. Overall, it was a pleasant experience, and I highly recommend the service to everyone. I'll update this review accordingly every so often to let those who want to know about FiOS, are allowed to do so.

member for 11.5 years, 1229 visits, last login: 1.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by Blueghost See Profile

• Location: Carmel,Putnam,NY
Good "Fast Speed, No Slowdowns, Excellent Neat Installation."
Bad "None So Far"
Overall "Great Deal for The Price. Blows the Local Cable Company Away IMO."

Ordered the 15/2 package with 12 month contract for &44.95 online on 12/20/05. Free installation was included and scheduled for 12/28/05. Two days prior to installation date, I received a recorded installation appointment reminder from Verizon. The night before the installation I received a live call from Verizon informing me that the installation will be performed between an 8am and 12pm window the next day. One the day of the installation, the tech arrived at around 9am and was extremely knowledgeable and cooperative in where to place the Optical Network Terminal and other equipment required for the service. The D-Link router and battery backup was installed inside a closet in my basement making the installation virtually invisible. The installation was neat and clean taking about 4 hours to complete from start to finish. The connection was immediately established and working within minutes. Right now I only have a data connection but plan to migrate my telephone service and cable television service over to FIOS. Television is not yet available in my area due to cable TV franchise issues with local communities. I know it's only been one day since I have had this service but so far there is no comparison between FIOS and cable modem. I highly recommend Verizon Fios to anyone in the Putnam County area of New York State.