Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1937 reviews (1455 good) (144 bad)

Review by sunilonln See Profile

• Location: Beaverton,Washington,OR
Good "Blazing fast! Friendly installation crew."
Bad "Included router isn't so great. Neighborhood construction took much longer than necessary."
Overall "FiOS beats all of the competition by far."

I've been waiting for this service since the day I realized FTTH was a possibility. After waiting 7 months for Verizon's contractor to finish up the buildout in my neighborhood, I placed an order for 15/2 service as soon as it was available. When I called in, the rep matched all of the deals available online (free 1st month, etc).

The installation, while a bit long at 3 hours, was everything I expected it to be. The tech installed an Optical Network Terminal outside of the house, with a battery backup in the garage, and ran CAT5 on the outside of the house to two locations of my choosing (the second drop cost $75). Apparently Verizon does not allow them to fish the CAT5 due to "liability issues."

The service worked flawlessly by the time the installer was done, with actual speeds at 15195(down)/1846(up) kbps according to »speedtest.integra.net -- these speeds are extremely consistent so far, with very little fluctuation upon repeated testing. IP addresses are dynamic, assigned via PPPoE, and are subject to change frequently.

I've had cable internet (@Home, ATTBI, and then Comcast) for over 6 years, and this is an incredible step up - in terms of both connection speed and customer service.

member for 11.7 years, 223 visits, last login: 8.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by Rigeltiger See Profile

• Location: Leesburg,Loudoun,VA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Fastest ever."
Bad "Can't run simple servers."
Overall "If you can get it, you shouldn't buy anything else."

12/21/05:
Switched from a 1.2M/128K wireless provider ($55/mo) to 30M/5M Fios ($55/mo) on 12/19.

Price on the website showed $150 for 30/5 until you ran the availability check. Then the price showed as $55. They should fix that.

Easy installation, but long (3 hrs). Showed up on time. Required drilling a hole in the back of the house to set up a battery in the furnace closet.

Initial speeds 22M/3M on one PC, 5M/3M on two others. Installers didn't know how to boost it, blamed it on old drivers or old NICs. After they left, I found the two slow PCs were connected to a 10M switch. Replaced it with a 10/100M switch, speeds matched.

Ran the Fios optimization tool on Verizon's website and wrang another few Ms out of it. Now up to 26M/4M. Not sure how or if it's possible to squeeze closer to the golden 30M/5M, but I'm not complaining too loudly.

The IP viewed from the outside is attached to a Verizon server pool, so running servers doesn't really work, alas. I really wanted to keep my radio station running. :/

Lots of email addresses and newsgroups are nice to have.

Overall, so far so good.

member for 13.5 years, 1604 visits, last login: 1.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by brainlessdog See Profile

• Location: Portsmouth,Rockingham,NH
Good "Fast, haven't been down yet."
Bad "pppoe"
Overall "Get It If You Can"

Install on 11/29/05.

15/2 Plan.

Great service!

Tech did a superb, clean job both inside and outside. Had 784k dsl before, and would have an issue or two a month. No problems at all. Can't wait for the video and dumping Comcast!

Comments:

Review by use_ssh See Profile

• Location: Reston,Fairfax,VA
Good "Very Fast Install, Knowledgable installer, advertised speeds, price"
Bad "PPPoE"
Overall "Definitely worth it."

Recently changed from Vonage to Verizon for hone phone service. On a whim, I decided to see if our new number qualified for FIOS. Found out we were available for FIOS!! Proceeded with the online order to discover that the 30/5 package could be had for $54/month with a 1yr agreement. Hit the order button. No way was I passing that up.

Received about two or three phone calls to confirm the install date. Dec. 20th rolls around and so I took a day off from work. The contractor arrives around 9am and ran the fiber the day of the install. In digging the trench, the contractor cut my Comcast cable. Luckily, he was able to repair it. So no big deal. I understand it happens. Comcast was back up to the normal 16/1 speeds. Contractor's work takes about 30-45 minutes.

I wait the rest of the day until 3:30pm when the installer calls and says he'll be there at 4pm. I thought, damn, I could have went to work and left early. Oh well.

The installer showed up by himself. He started about 4:10pm and worked through until about 6:30pm when we confirmed that the service was up and running at the advertised speeds. The installer did a fantastic job. I kept asking questions and he continued to answer them.

Overall, I am very happy with the process and FIOS. My only complaint right now is that they user PPPoE. Blocked ports I can deal with. Luckily they only appear to block port 80 inbound.

U_S

Comments:

Review by firewalls4u See Profile

• Location: Exton,Chester,PA
Good "Professional onsite installers; good value; responsive customer service; clear voice calls."
Bad "Amatuer trenching and repair; misinformation from techs; PTR mappings took forever"
Overall "Excellent technology; get it if you can."

Summary: I have the 15/2 package with 5 static IP addresses, using my own router (OS based). Customer service and tech support are responsive and convey an interest in helping. Tech Support can be thin on routing, WHOIS, and PTR issues - if you persist the 1st level techs will get the answers you want, they just might not be the correct answers! Good value for the money, despite some technical misinformation from Verizon.

Note: This is a Business class circuit; so you can ignore Verizon suggestions to use PPPOE, as this is not required for business (static) service.

If upgrading from static DSL, and you are hosting services dependent upon DNS, make sure YOU request and track the issues like PTR changes because Verizon will not automatically do this for you. These changes take several days to process through Verizon's system, then require a typical propogation time.

The Verizon subcontractor (generic) who brought the final conduit trench to the premise did a terrible job of repairing his work. This is in contrast to the Henkle contractors who dug up the entire developement up over a period of days and didn't leave a trace of their work afterwards. Verizon has a special number for install damage. A nuisance to manage, and we ended up doing our own seeding repairs.

Open issues 90 days after install:

1) Verizon insists on listing the name of the employee, NOT the business, who ordered the FIOS in WHOIS lookups. I have placed several calls so far to correct this privacy breach and it is still unresolved. At one point, Verizon refered me to Network Solutions, Inc. to make the whois changes which is laughable.

2) Subneting. Verizon techs advised on multiple occasions, through various levels of support engineers that our subnet mask would be 255.255.255.0. This is incorrect. While you might be able to configure your router to work in this manner, Verizon does indeed subnet correctly and so should you. Initially, there statements caused us some angst due to the potential routing issues, but we've tested this thouroughly and you can ignore this misinformation from Verizon as well. Verizon does subnet correctly.

UPDATED 12/19/2005: Revised to reflect Verizon subnet practices

Comments:

Review by wernox See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
Good "Fantastic speed, consistent performance"
Bad "Sticky hardware issue stumped everyone involved"
Overall "Great performance, great value"

I've had my FIOS connection for about two weeks now and all I can say is WOW. The install went fine, we have arial utilities so the initial contractor turned the job back over to Verizon who came out on the Saturday after Thanksgiving to maintain the initial promised timeline.

The hardware install went fine, the installers didn't seem to be very PC savy so I kinda took over once they got the cat 5e run to my home office. There was one problem that I ultimately solved on my own.

When the connection first came up, the WAN light would be blinking like it was on fire and my download speed would be stuck at 2500 Kbps or even lower (I have the 15/2 package). I had to call Verizon and have them reboot the ONT to get things working properly and then they would randomly go bad again without any explanation. The light for the port where my PC connected to the router stayed on during those periods, indicating to me and everyone else that the problem was outside my network.

On a lark, after my 5th or 6th call to Verizon, I rebooted my router without my PC plugged in.....I was using the 10/100/1000 port built into my motherboard via the PCIE bus for ethernet and thought maybe it was somehow triggering the problem. Sure enough, the router light stayed solid and I was able to connect at full speed using laptop or one of my other PC's with no problems. I put a a 10/100 PCI card in and it's been smooth sailing ever since. Just wish someone would have suggested trying that sooner.

Comments:

Review by jammerx See Profile

• Location: Virginia Beach,Virginia Beach City,VA
Good "high speed finally"
Bad "none"
Overall "worth the wait, now for TV!!!! another year!!!"

I waited and waited but it was worth the wait. The install was fine. The tech was cool. I had ran CAT5e thru ENT from my desk to thru the attic in the wall to the entrance point. I was offerd 36.99 for 12 months as a promotion. I am the first one on the street to have it. The install was 4 hours, but that what I expected. The test from the speakeasy site to the DC server is 14.8 down and 1.7 up. I have Dlink router.

downloadDoc1.zip 128,903 bytes
(Doc1.doc)

Comments:

Review by er51 See Profile

• Location: Delmar,Albany,NY
Good "Good installation, Extremely Fast"
Bad "PPPoE"
Overall "A great service"

FiOS just became available in my area, and I was the first one in the neighborhood to get it. I ordered FiOS on tuesday, and the tech showed up on friday at around 8:30. We had some trouble in the installation, as all my computer stuff in on the second floor of the house, and we had to run CAT5 wire up from the basement, but the tech managed to do it.

I ordered the 30/5 service for $55 per month (12 month contract), and couldn't be happier with the speed. On speakeasy NYC, I got 20000/4250, which is pretty good. I'm guessing 20 is saturating all their bandwidth, which is why I can't get up to 30. The price is a lot less than what I was paying for Road Runner ($70 for 8/512).

The equipment they gave was ok. They give you a D-Link 604 router for free with the order, however I'm using my Cisco 871w instead. I had some trouble getting the Cisco to work due to the PPPoE, but that was mostly due to my inexperience, not FiOS. PPPoE is kind of a pain, but the tech told me they were moving to DHCP in the spring. FiOS TV isn't available in my area yet, but I'll most likely be getting it when it is.

Overall, I am very happy with FiOS so far.

Comments:

Review by tomgrossi See Profile

• Location: Reston,Fairfax,VA
Good "Really fast when equipment works. I hate Comcast too, so what to do?"
Bad "Lied about pricing. Had defective equipment: 5 truck rolls (plus 3missed appts and many phone calls) and it still isn't fixed."
Overall "Worst customer service I have ever experienced anywhere in my life! No joke! The abosulte worst!"

I posted my full saga in the forum so I won't type it all here. Bottom line: if I can get this thing working so I don't have to talk to Verizon I may stay since the connection is fast and my Comcast cable modem went down about once a week (which is why I switched to Verizon). The problem I've had is there is a defective battery backup unit and they have come out 5 times now to "fix" it but have refused to replace it for some reason. They have replaced EVERY other piece of equipment including the ONT but not that. It is just crazy. They have missed several appointments, too. Also, they lied to me about the pricing. They are charging me $5 more per month than they told me when I signed up. I was super clear that I wanted month-to-month and they todl me there was a special for $44 (and that if I went 12 mo I could actually do $39)... but my bill comes and it is $49 and when I called they told me it was impossible that they told me $44. Serously. THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER! WORSE THAN COMCAST. WORSE THAN AIR FRANCE DURING A SNOWSTORM IN PARIS (which held my previous record for worst ever.)

Comments:

Review by clarkbhm See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA
Good "Fast connection at a good price"
Bad "Backup power supply unit"
Overall "Great upgrade if you can get it"

I had Verizon DSL for five years until deciding to upgrade to Verizon FIOS two months ago. It turns out that I made a good decision.

I'd been happy with Verizon DSL for the five years I was with them. I never experienced service outages with them and generally had no problems. The FIOS service has been the same thing--no problems. That's the best thing about the service.

I enjoy having always on internet and am prone to think out of sight out of mind. Since the FIOS service hasn't caused many any significant problems since I've starting using the service, I don't really think anything about it. Who wants to spend hours trying to mess around with their internet provider anyway? Just set it up and move on with life...

The installation process was rather easy. Even though they would have scheduled my setup for four days after my order, I wanted to wait until the Columbus Day holiday so that I wouldn't have to take time off of work. (No evening or weekend installation was a bit of a bummer). The installation took a little over three hours. There was only one guy doing the work. There was no digging involved either, just stringing the wires from the poles. He left the copper in place on his own accord, which I thought was interesting.

Anyway, I hit my only snag that evening after setup. Everything had been running fine all day. Towards the evening, I suddenly found that I couldn't connect to the internet. I searched and searched to figure out what the problem was, spending a few hours opening up the outside box to check the lights, checking my router configurations, etc. Finally, I noticed something on the outside box. It was running off of battery power. Well, there appeared to be no reason for this until I discovered what had happened.

During the installation of the backup power supply unit, the unit was plugged in to the nearest outlet in the basement. However, it turns out that this outlet was controlled by the light switch. Thus, when I went to turn off the lights to the basement, I inadvertantly turned off the power supply unit.

Since the backup power supply unit is only meant to connect your phone calls during a power outage, it had turned off the internet connection to my computer. Turning the switch back on was sufficient to solve my problem. I ended up having to have a new outlet installed which was not a switched outlet.

In the end, I don't think there was anything that the installation guy did wrong as he didn't know that it was a switched outlet. However, if you're considering getting the service, there are two related lessons to keep in mind:

1. The unit will not provide an internet connection if the power goes out.

2. Beware of using switched outlets with the power supply unit.

Other than that, I've had a splended time with my FIOS. Now I can download 100MB game demos in around 12 seconds...

member for 13.7 years, 412 visits, last login: 1.4 years ago