Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1929 reviews (1456 good) (140 bad)

Review by batsona See Profile

• Location: Ellicott City,Howard,MD
Good "4ms to VZ gateway is great!"
Bad "Price is creeping up...."
Overall "It's the most stable for the price, but price is eql to cable now."

·Vonage
I'm glad I'm with FiOS; this makes more sense than Comcast. Pages zip around faster than before, even tho I have 5MB downstream vs. 6MB with comcast; the difference is having 2MB upstream instead of 384K. It makes all the difference. It took 27 days between order, and use-of-service, becuase the gentleman said they were very backed up in the area with 2-3 installs per day. I ordered the 5000/2000 service.

Cable tech arrived 10 days before the inside guy; they had plenty of 'fun' trying to fish my line thru all the trees under the telephone poles; the guy had to call for help right before he drove from Howard county back to Anne Arrundl county to get a 500' legnth of Corning Fiber. I pulled the copper out of my basement & wire-tied it outside, then pulled the ~40' spare feet of fiber he left outside into the basement & wire-tied it so it looked nice 'n professional-like. I have a basement-located ONT.

The installer was very nice & got the job done quickly. He suffered a 30 min setback where there was no light on the fiber. He had to drive around the block & scamper up a pole to re-seat my connection at the tap, which did the trick. Another 30 min, and I was up and running. I have Vonage svc, and turned off my VZ pots lines, so there was no voice to deal with.

PS-- The increase in upstream speed, from 384K to 2MBit is what does the trick. I'd read lots of whitepapers about poor WAN performance when the 'return-path' for the packets is constrained. You can have all the bandwidth in the world downstream, but if you have a tiny upstream, you can set your TCPreceiveWindow to 10-million, and it won't do you any good. A good clear upstream makes 5MBit FiOS run faster than 6Mbit Comcast.

Good, stable, fast, and less expensive than the "incumbant".

_________________________________________

Update 8/15/2008: Still good service. No downtime that I can remember since installation! The original base price of $35/month is now at $44.99/month. Even if it were equal with cable-based service (CMCST), it's still be a better deal. Fiber-delivery beats RF hands down.

__________________________________________

Update 1/20/2010: Service still good. The price has come up to equal that of Cablemodem now. However, FiOS is the better service, so if price were equal, I'd still pull the trigger on FiOS.

_______________________________________

Update 3/20/2011: Service still good. Dropped the price by about $10 a month by negotiating a new bundle with 15/5 Internet. A month after that, I found I had 20/5 w/o doing anything. If you discount the fact that very popular sites slow down at nite (youtube, facebook), the service is still plenty speedy!

_____________________________________________

Update 2/6/2012: Service still good. Price is equal to similar bandwidth tier among most other providers, but the differentiator is still fiber optics. It's still a superior and resilient transport. Now on 15/5 plan, which has been padded to 20/5. I'm getting the 20/5 speed consistantly.

_________________________________________

Update 1/19/14: I recently upgraded to 50/25 service. I can max out at about 60/30 or so with the 'fluff'. Quality is good; everything works, email is good. too bad prices keep creeping up and up and up over the years.... Have not needed tech support for anything luckily. Took out the ActionTec device, in favor of a Juniper SRX100 firewall. This was not because of a problem related to actiontec, I'm learning Juniper for my employer, and was given a demo-unit!

________________________________________

Update 8/2/14 - 50/25 still going strong.. 60downstream and 40upstream inclusive of fluff. Never needed tech support in the last so-many months.

Comments:

RMHA

@verizon.net

Tech Support

Why do you rate tech support with 75%. I am on FIOS for the last 2 years and the few times i needed tech support i got qualified help and i got it fast. A few days ago i lost connection (3rd time in 2 years) at 2am and i had an American tech within 3 minutes and a fix within 10!
batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
·Vonage

Re: Tech Support

I guess I could raise it a bit. --I had initial problems (years ago) where they couldn't find my account because I didn't have a VZ telephone number (am with Vonage..). Their call routing system sent me around in circles, and when I got ahold of a human, they put me back in the 'circle queue' (wash rinse repeat). Not the way a big company should handle things...

Review by destroyah See Profile

• Location: Norwalk,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Steady 84/40 speeds using the Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. I"
Bad "Occasional peering issues cause random slowdowns and packet loss, especially to Netflix and Youtube."
Overall "Still a good overall price, though it feels that we are paying for the east coasts low prices."

Ordered: December 23, 2007

Installed: January 07, 2008

Running at proper speeds on: January 09, 2008

Other than the hurtles that I went through in the beginning with the Actiontec's poor firmware, it has been an excellent internet only service. I ended up getting one of the Motorola B-PON ONT's, though I wish it was one of the newer G-PON models.

Consistently get 14.5-14.8 on the download, and 14.5-17.1 on the upload, and that's with my D-Link DIR-655 with Beta 39 firmware connected through ethernet.

Will update once the 20/20 upgrade goes through.

Here's to hoping it will survive the 100+ degree with high humidity summer temps here in California.

A special mention here for James, one of the Fiber Network Field technicians, who helped with the four hour install along with his work crew of three. They did a clean, efficient install. After installing a modular ethernet jack that wasn't properly pumping out 15 mb/s, as it should be, he then came by a day or two later and replaced it. It's been working properly since that day.

Edit: Called on Monday, the 23rd of June, to inquire about the free upgrade to 20/20. Billing was very knowledgeable about the upgrade, and a order was put in for the upgrade. I was told it would take effect on the following day at 4:00PM. Lo and behold, on the following day at around 1:00PM, downloads increased to 19.3-19.6 mb/s. Upload was down to about 8 mb/s, so I rebooted the router. That didn't fix the problem, so a couple of power cycles of the ONT later, and my full speed became a reality.

I'm very happy with the upgrade, and latency seems to have gone down as a bonus.

Edit: October 15, 2008 - So far reliability has been ok, though I'm going to dock some points off, since every once in a while the upload is being throttled for some reason (ie. 23.6-23.8 goes down to about 10 mb/s. No clue why this is happening, but a total shutdown and restart of the ONT fixes this, after two or three tries. It may be the terrible heat we have in California right now. ;P

Edit: January 07, 2009 - I'm docking 1 more point from reliability, since I had to reset the ONT a couple of times for the last week of December since my upload was dropping down to my previous DSL levels. Since I'm not the only one using the connection (there are a couple of PC's in my household), this hampers my own experience on my PC. I just hope VZ stops sending adjustments to the ONT, since I'm almost 100 % positive that is the reason for the occasional problems, since both phone and internet run well the rest of the time.

Value for the money was dropped down 1 point for the above mentioned trouble.

Edit: August 03, 2014 - An update is in order for the amount of time that has passed since my last update. Speed upgrades that have gone by include a jump to 25/25 speeds, then down to 25/15, and then to 50/25 since Quantum tiers have been available. This past year, around November, my ONTs trusty BBU finally failed after almost 6 years of service. VZ was able to dispatch someone within 72 hours, and they installed a current model, along with a new battery, and everything has been running fine and dandy with the same Motorola 1000-m BPON ONT.

Since my two year contract was in the process of expiring in July, around June the 16th, I decided to check if VZ could throw me a bone, and give me any renewal offers around the same price point. I ended up jumping up to 75/35 for only about 5 more bucks plus taxes. With the current push by VZ to upgrade all tiers to symmetrical speeds, I shall update my review when I hopefully get the free upgrade in the next couple of weeks to 75/75.

member for 9.3 years, 3307 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Acct101 See Profile

• Location: Bensalem,Bucks,PA
Bad "Never showed up to install Fios and never called"

·T-Mobile US
Verizon was supposed to be here between 8 and 11 am. Never showed. I called at 12:30 and they said they ran into a problem and wanted me to reschedule.

Thanks for being pro-active and calling in the morning, Instead I had to sit around and wait for nothing.

Comments:

Review by julesism See Profile

• Location: Lewisville,Denton,TX
Good "Service never goes down and I always get the speeds I pay for."
Bad "Billing is a complete mess. Still behind on HD content."
Overall "FiOS has lost it's new car shine/smell."

I've wanted FIOS for years but never lived in an area where it was available. How I lived without FIOS for so long baffles me. Now that I have it, I'll never be able to live without it. The internet speeds are unheard of and are stable\reliable. Internet is most important to me so I'm golden. I'm using my own router. My internet is Ethernet\DHCP so all I had to do was release the DHCP lease on the Verizon router and plug the Ethernet drop into my Linksys WRT610Nv2 running TomatoUSB. The routers supplied by Verizon are yawn.

TV is pretty good but here is where my complaints are. The hard drive size is not very big. FIOS TV is missing several HD channels that many other providers have. For me, I'm disappointed that Fox Soccer Channel HD and BBC America HD are not available. I had Remote DVR Access working using my Linksys router but they disabled my access because I am using an unsupported router. I understand if it's not supported but don't disable mine when it's working fine. Not happy about that but I'll live.

My bill will go up to ~$170 a month ($155 if I drop FS+) after my first 6 months. First month is ~$135.

Signed up on 4/26/10. Live on 4/30/10
FIOS 35/35 Internet
Ultimate HD with EPIX
1 x Home Media HD-DVR STB
1 x HD STB
Fox Soccer Plus a la carte (+$15)

UPDATE 11/2/10
In late July, I returned the Home Media DVR and the HD STB for a HD DVR box to save some money. It took until October to get the billing straightened out but each time I was properly credited, just a hassle to call and fix it. It's all good now. My bill is now ~$135\month after promotions\credits. I'm getting $20 credits and HBO\Cinemax free until December.

UPDATE 12/22/10
I just dropped FiOS TV but kept FiOS internet. I now have 15/5 for $54.99 a month. I switched to TWC for TV because they have 3 soccer channels (FSC, FS+, and GOLTV) in HD. FiOS has 0. As soon as FiOS catches up with FSC and FS+, I plan on going back to FiOS TV.

UPDATE May 2011
I came back to FIOS TV after the footie season was over and also went with a triple bundle. I currently have Ultimate HD with a MR-DVR in the living room and a stand alone HD box in the bedroom, 35/35 internet, and digital voice for ~$136/mth including taxes and after discounts. I'm happy with the newer STB's and FSC-HD is nice. All I need now is FS+HD and IMG 1.9.

UPDATE 11-28-11
Bill went up $10 to ~$146. Lost a discount. Following another members action, I've decided to lower the value for money option. I'm constantly debating whether or not I should go back to TWC for TV. FiOS TV has fallen behind with HD additions. TWC has FS+, GolTV, ESPN Deportes, and soon Fox Deportes all in HD. FiOS has none of those. It was like pulling teeth getting FiOS to give us FSC in HD. I'm pretty sure I can count the number of HD additions since April 2010 on both hands. Really wish FiOS exec's would make some decisions on their plans to combat this but nothing but fuzzy math and logic so far.

UPDATE 4-11-12
I decided to lower the pre-sales and tech support ratings. The product works great but when I have to speak to six different reps to make changes to my account, it's frustrating. Anytime I have made changes to my account, it's been painful :/

UPDATE 4-9-2014
We dropped TV service many months ago. FiOS TV is still way behind on HD content for our interests so we have TWC for TV. We currently have 50/25 internet only. Bill runs just under $74 a month. Considering bundling with TWC but 25mbps up is nice.

UPDATE 7-31-2014
Added TV back just before the World Cup in June. Upgraded to 75/75 speeds on 7/20. Just got my first bill it's $15 higher than what I signed up for. Thankfully I still have the order information with the price I agreed to. Waiting on Verizon to sort it out. Billing issues plague Verizon FiOS. Don't get me started on the fact that you cannot order TV service with a cablecard online or a phone rep...

member for 12.7 years, 2580 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by gower2352 See Profile

• Location: Laurel,Prince Georges,MD
Good "SuperFast, Easy to Make Changes, Billing Seems Good Thus Far"
Bad "Nothing at moment "
Overall "Sign up online if your home is already wired and you'll get a great deal!"

Order the ultimate package. Ordered online and got some really great credits for the 24 months period. Also ordered all the movies channels I could have. Install was super easy since my apartment was already pre-wired. Got the new Quantum TV service.

member for 1.7 years, 62 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by fixrman See Profile

• Location: Hatboro,Montgomery,PA
Good "Better than advertised download, upload - last mile."
Bad "Price increases"
Overall "Initial great value, good speed. Great tech install!!"

I had some specific instructions for the tech, and she went one better with it. We canceled the first install because of *our* schedule; the tech was finished in 6 hours on this appointment and was very conscientious, placing the battery backup in a great location.

FiOS seems to have it all over the DSL department.

I have to say the order to live was about 7 days, because they would have installed on the original date were it not for our change. I don't know if I would have had the same tech, but I am glad she did it.

Vonage didn't work right off, but it is understandable that the tech wouldn't be allowed to set that up. All I had to do was port forward and I was back on in less than four minutes with Vonage.

Super seamless!

7/13/07 - Still loving FiOS. If you are paying for DSL, especially 3.0/768... dump it for this. I have cancelled VZ phone service, and couldn't be happier with FiOS. Zip,Zoom,Fly!

9/29/07 - FiOS is still it. Now to do something about my VoIP, which is not making it at all. (The orange box people)

11/23/07 - I called FiOS and reported an outage. Not the first I experienced, but this was a bit longer. Called at 08:10 and had a truck show up at 09:20! In one hour and ten minutes I had a service tech. It took him another 20 minutes maybe to change the ONT, and all was well. Bravissimo, FiOS! I changed my tech support rating to a 5 because they deserve it.

07/21/08 - Nothing really new to report, unless no interruptions are new to you. If you read this while on cable - well, why did you?

09/16/08 - Still cruising along at light speed. No problems, just uptime. Get it.

Got FiOS? If you don't have it by now, you are silly.

6/22/09 - No problems still. Price has gone up so I may call and complain about that.

12/05/10 - Still the same rock solid FiOS as was on day one. If you are reading this better than three years later, why haven't you made up your mind yet?

7/27/14 - Should have updated this a while ago. The price kept creeping up for the same service, so I felt I wasn't getting very good value for the money. They upgraded us to the 50m/25m "Quantum" service. The speed is not consistent and is really only a "last mile" speed.

member for 11.5 years, 1625 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

ferdland

@73.39.23.x

Verizon fios

I enjoy having VZFios but when we moved, the area we live in dont have Verizon Fios, so we had to use Comcast who was the only provider in the area

tfrionli
Tom F.

join:2001-06-21
Kings Park, NY

Re: Verizon fios

i'm interested in your comparison between fios and comcast service, can you post a review?
tfrionli

Review by rasmusjc See Profile

• Location: Southlake,Tarrant,TX

I have the Verizon FIOS Triple Play Bundle with Quantum 75/35 speeds. Not much to tell other than service has been great.

Comments:

Review by xaebz56K See Profile

• Location: Englewood,Sarasota,FL
Good "Excellent speeds and very reliable."
Bad "None."
Overall "Best ISP I have ever had."

·Everest Communic..
The router supplied is their latest and best, an ActionTec Router. All equipment is new, I have the bundle which includes TV, they also supplied their best HDTV cable box, a new one.

I've had absolutely no problems at all with Verizon. I also added on 2 more TVs with just their very basic cable box, just tunes all Verizon TV channels, no menu. These work exceptionally well too. When setting them up I had problems with them being recognized, the Verizon rep. was exceptionally friendly and helpful.

The price of $80 is for Internet and Prime TV, and does not include the 3 TV boxes. I was surprised every single thing they supplied was brand new and the best they offer. I've also been surprised at how helpful and friendly their reps. have been.

The service is extremely reliable.

Comments:

Review by br0adbanddoc See Profile

• Location: Norristown,Montgomery,PA
Good "It's stable and quick."
Bad "Streaming Netflix is garbage unless I turn on my work VPN."
Overall "If you use Netflix for your primary source of video entertainment, forget about Fios."

Overall the Fios install went pretty well except that Verizon guaranteed that they would provide us with a battery for the system's battery backup and the tech forgot to install the battery. This generated another service call where I had to be home for a different tech to show up, verify that we definitely didn't have a battery and then install the battery. The original installer tech also cut down some old drops that another Verizon Fios tech had left laying across other various cable/telephone drops in our back yard.

With regard to the service, normal web browsing, Youtube streaming and gaming work well. However, if you use Netflix as either a way to augment your normal TV service or as your primary source of TV service, forget about Fios. It is absolutely awful. I have resorted into using a VPN connection on my laptop in order to allow anything better than an unreliable SD picture from Netflix.

If you don't use Netflix, get it. If you do use Netflix, get Comcast.

Comments:

Review by fiosultimate See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX

Stable speed,almost all the TV channels, issue free phone service

member for 84 days, 45 visits, last login: a few hours ago