Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1921 reviews (1453 good) (139 bad)

Review by JeepMatt See Profile

• Location: Wilmington,New Castle,DE
Good "HD Content - Kills Comcast"
Bad "So Far - Not Much"
Overall "If You Care About HD - FIOS TV is your #1 Choice"

**UPDATE - 6/13/14**

After being back with Comcast for 2 1/2 years - I had to take a look at what I was paying for. I want HD channels - I want HD premium channels - Yes, I want HD. Not On Demand, not on my computer - I mean, I spend all day on a computer for work - why would I want to watch TV on it?

FIOS is the leader in HD when comparing the two MSO's. Just since I came back at the end of March - they've added 5 HD channels - and have capacity for more. They now carry both of the Philly Comcast sports channels in HD. They have beIN Sport in HD - they have Spanish soccer channels in HD. I think you get my point. They have a plan. Comcast - all they care about is X1. They haven't added an HD channel in my area in over 2 years. Yes - TWO years. I could now order MLB Extra Innings again and get all 9 HD channels. The new Quantum TV is excellent. 6 tuners, 1TB of space - and the satellite boxes are all IP based. This is actually a step ahead of the X1 boxes.

Internet side - my employer pays for my monthly service - so right now we're on the 150/65 package. Yes, it's $120/mo as part of our Double Play, but again - not paying for it. Hopefully they bump that up soon based on all the other providers bragging about 300 down plans. And I get that full speed - even wirelessly. As part of my install - they replaced my old ONT from 2007 with a brand new GPON ONT in my basement.

Billing has been perfect as well - and all of the technicians that came to my home - above and beyond professional.
Happy Matt.

**UPDATE - 11/14/11**

Internet remains perfect - 35/35 package cannot be matched by cable.
Phone & Wireless - no issues

TV - As I mentioned 6 months ago, FIOS TV is now severely lacking and behind the competition with HD channels. I lowered the Value for Money rating as a result.

**UPDATE - 5/13/11**

Things continue to roll along - 35/35 internet is stable, fast, and reliable. TV - great PQ - wishing they'd finally get around to adding more HD - as VZ is now trailing most providers. Only thing I'm wishing for at this point.

Also, rolled my VZ Wireless account into the main parent one. 1 bill - 4 services.

**UPDATE - 1/20/10**

Updated today to the Fios Ultimate HD Triple Play package - which includes every channel and 35/35 internet along with home phone. With 3 STB's this will run me around $215 / mo.

Can't complain - as FIOS blows away any other provider in my area.

**UPDATE - 3/26/09**

FIOS TV and Internet continue to blow away the competition. New HD channels this month push the total here to 108. Comcast in Northern DE? 37 total. Yep..seriously.

With the latest firmware release, all DVR issues have been corrected.

If you have a choice of FIOS in your area, it's a total no-brainer.

**UPDATE - 9/25/08**

Well, I gave FIOS TV another try, and signed back up on 8/6/08. Despite the year of horror I had experienced in 2007, based on Comcast's inability to add anything new to this area, I gave Verizon a 2nd chance.

All I can say is WOW. Whatever had caused my prior problems obviously has been fixed, and i've just witnessed 54 new HD channels appear in my guide in the past few weeks. With 20+ more scheduled in the next month or so.

The updated guide is a breath of fresh air - and so far, i'm loving it. Next big date will be 10/16, when this area is to receive the 1.6 software update. Looking forward to streaming shows to my HD box.

**UPDATE - 6/24/08**

Updated to the 20/20 tier. Not bad.

Last result:
19219/17324 Kbps

**UPDATE - 5/20/08**

15/15 tier continues to rock. FIOS Internet cannot be matched in Northern Delaware. I still laugh though reading the TV horror stories in the FIOS TV forum.

**UPDATE - 11/20/07**

Upgraded to the new 15/15 FIOS tier yesterday. Here's the results:

Download Speed: 15462 kbps (1932.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 14112 kbps (1464.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Awesome. Fios Internet continues to rock.

FIOS TV? Don't get me started. The whole offering is one big cluster-f**k.

**UPDATE - 11/28/06**
It ended up taking 12 days to fix the issue listed below, but now the routing is back to normal, and service levels are back to excellent. I've since given Comcast the boot for telephone - and now have VZ for both phone and internet.

Now, i'm just waiting for TV to roll out in Delaware.

**UPDATE - 11/11/06**

Well, once again, FIOS is having major issues with their backbone and Alter.net routers out of Philadelphia. After taking 2 days to even open a ticket for me, i'm now on Day 3 of the 300% increased latency.

Something happened at exactly 6am on 11/9 to cause this - so obviously some type of routing table change was made.

I love FIOS, don't get me wrong, but these issues cropping up every month or two are getting really annoying. It's almost like I have to babysit the network. I've lowered Tech Support to a 3 - because I was asked "what's the importance of seeing latency go up 300%?" Oh boy.

**UPDATE - 8/1/06**

Okay, it's now almost 3 months since I signed up for FIOS. Time for an update.

Over this time, connection has not gone down once except for when I lost power 3 times. That would be Delmarva Power's fault, not Verizon.

There have been however 3 occasions where a Verizon router or an Alter.net router (which is owned by Verizon) has died and caused major speed and routing issues. It took 5 days to fix the first one, and 4 for the second. The 3rd was a 2-hour long hiuccup.

I raised my tech-support rating from 3 to 4 as for the times I used the VZ Direct forum here on DSLReports and the times I called on the phone, the responses I received were good - and they knew what i was talking about. None of that, reboot your router crap.

As with any fledgling service, VZ has been ironing out different peering arrangements, etc. For the last few weeks however, it seems they are back on track to perfection.

My only other gripe is that we're still at 15/2 here in Delaware. My install tech told me we'd see the 20/5 upgrade by the end of May. Well, it's August and still no upgrade. I find it a bit unfair that people in NY/NJ/CT are getting higher speeds and paying the same amount of $ for the same service. No matter if it's cable or FIOS, that's a very shady business practice.

***********************************************************************************************
Well,
I decided to finally get set up with FIOS since it just became available in my neighborhood. Signed up on 5/1, installed today, 5/9. I'm the first in my immediate neighborhood to sign on.

Price point is fantastic - $44.95 / month for the 15/2 service, which supposedly will be increased to 20/5 shortly.

You can follow my BBR thread with pics, speed tests, and tracerts here.

»[northeast] FIOS Now Available to JeepMatt in Delaware!

Tech support haven't used, so I just put in a 3. My install tech was fantastic. Great guy - personality, cleanliness, you name it.

All I can say is Comcast really should be worried. I used to be a doubter, but hell, this speed and for less money?? C'mon now... I'll most likely be cancelling my Comcast HSI account within the week.

member for 12.5 years, 6507 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

shayes

@50.202.28.x

Fraudulent Charges Poor Customer Service

They are a bunch of crooks. They are charging me for service that they claim was done to my cable. I explain to them that the tech never came to my house, never serviced my cable, and I never signed for anything. They stated that because it is in their notes, that the charges are valid. No one can tell me what the notes say. They claimed they called the tech and he stated that he came out to my house and serviced my cable but when i mention that I did not sign anything and that he has nothing with my signature on it, they keep repeating that the charges are valid and they ignore me when i say that I did not sign off on him coming or doing any service. No matter who i speak, the chat line, email, or the phone, they all have the worst customer service. Especially on the phone, it sounds like they pick up bums from the corner and have them be CSRs. They are not professional and not courteous. I am cancelling my cable as soon as my contract ends. They are not professional and they are they are crooks. No evidence of service and no proof provided by the customer that they were there and they still charge you. Never again will i ever use them. I also will never recommend them to anyone. I will always speak badly of them to anyone who asks me or if i hear someone speaking of Verizon.

Review by sam64 See Profile

• Location: Newtown,Bucks,PA
Good "Great install, excellent customer service, very reliable"
Overall "FIOS rocks. Would never use anything else if available."

Had DSL and cable before. Switched from DSL to cable for better speed and switched back to DSL becacuse of poor reliability with cable.

One of the first FIOS installs in Bucks County, PA. Have had it since July 2005. Only one outage - due to power failure last year. No fault of Verizon - could not use service even if it was available.

D-Link Router installed.

Excellent install coordination, follow up and after sales service. Tech support is first class.

Comments:

Review by focuser See Profile

• Location: Elmwood Park,Bergen,NJ
Good "No longer a Great Deal"
Bad "Greed"
Overall "Think Carefully before signing a contract"

·Optimum Online
I spent many years with Cablevision, and seven years with their internet service, it was the only show in town for me. I had their Gold package for TV, and 10/1, then 15/2 internet service, I never had their phone service, I need a reliable phone.

I always used Verizon as my voice provider, and hanging quite a few extras on the line jacked the price up to about $80 a month, plus Cablevisions monthly bill of $157, including DVR service, etc, etc. took me up to $240 or so. Their service (CV) was OK, not great.

I called Verizon regarding a small problem, and they told me Fios was available at my location, so I asked the rep to give me some quotes. They offered me the TV service, all the HBO's, Showtimes, Movie Channels, Starz, Encore, Flix, Sundance, all but Cinemax. Unlike CV, All the premium On Demand channels included. Many other VOD services included, two HD boxes, one being a DVR. A consistent 20/5 internet connection, including a wireless router, plus my phone service remaining unchanged, for $145, before taxes, plus a free 20" LCD HD TV.

I jumped on it.

I don't want to totally rip up CV, they are OK, if that is all that is available, but nowhere near the quality of Fios. Picture quality is far superior, particularly on HD, real sharp program guide, internet speeds are consistent, no prime time slow downs, like CV , and no CS telling you to reboot, it's probably your computer. The tech that did the install was a pro, all the people I spoke to on the phone were very knowledgeable, everything went great, start to finish.

All I can say is, if you can get it, do it, better quality, and better price......

Just a quick update, it just keeps getting better, tons of HD, and last month when they went all digital, they provided me with 3 extra boxes at no cost to be sure any other sets in the house would receive full programming...............

It's been three years, and just keeps getting better..............

Four years in, and I still think it is a good product, but the prices are climbing, you are locked into your bundle price, but the equipment charges keep climbing, DVR, boxes, etc. They've added some junk channels, removed some minor widgets, and are doing away with the media manager feature. My contract was to expire in 2013, When upgrading my internet speed, I was locked into another contract that expired in 2014, and when dropping into the next lower tier to try to lower the price, I was locked in again to a contract that expires in 2015. So be careful in any changes you make. Again, a good product, but if it climbs any higher in the short term, I am going back to Cablevision.

At least I will be out of these ridiculous contracts.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------

Update: Since my last review, my monthly fees have gone up by $40 a month, after downgrading my service from Ultra to Extreme. Verizon has gone from a company with a great attitude, to a hell with you mentality. They are nickel and diming their rates, they are now charging $30 for a backup, which previously had no charge, along with a $4 a month router fee. Should your remote wear out, you now have to pay for a new one, stb boxes continue to rise in price, broken widgets are not being fixed, channels are being removed without notice, and unexplained taxes are being added. They have turned into a price gouging entity with no conscience. In the beginning, I was one of their biggest fanboys, now the next time a Cablevision rep rings my doorbell, I am going to invite him in, if the offer is good, I am gone.

member for 13.2 years, 5081 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Fullhouse

@verizon.net

Robbed by Verizon not once but twice!

I switched to FIOS once more after leaving them a few years ago in total disgust. During my previous nightmare in 2009, they charged me $350 for an 30 minute overseas call that was made from my home phone. I never make international calls and had explicitly asked to block that feature. They refused to credit me for these charges. I switched to Comcast and was quite happy for 4 years.

Earlier this year (2013), tempted by a triple play deal, I switched to FIOS. I noticed after the install that 2 specific channels - Disney and Food Network were not available in HD. I was able to watch many others though, in HD. After a few months of watching in SD, I decided to call them and ask for support. The phone agent tried, unsuccessfully, to reset the set top box remotely and said that she would need to send an tech to my house. She advised me to add a wire maintenance plan, along with a $40 initial charge, to cover the visit. I agreed to do that.

The Tech showed up a couple of days later as scheduled and spent 20 minutes at my house and said the problem was fixed. A couple of weeks later, the bill shows up along with $400 of additional charges (3 hours of technician labor and one data jack for $50). Needless to say, I was stunned since the tech had not performed any wiring work at all, let alone install a data jack, since that was not remotely related to any problem I had called in for!

I proceeded to make calls to Customer Service and after 2 separate calls and 2 hours over the phone, an agent agreed that I should not have to pay for any of the charges and said she would issue full credit, subject to higher approval. I kept checking and the credits never showed up in full. When I called, I was told the credits were denied since the charges were accurate.

I have emailed and sent a letter to Verizon expressing my disgust and that I felt I was being robbed in broad daylight. I asked for details on what work was performed for 3 hours at my house since I needed to know. I have not received any response and it has been a few weeks now.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. Their corporate policies are to rob the customer and since they have gotten so big, they figure a few bad incidents and lost customers don't hurt them one bit.

I will continue to battle with them for these totally incorrect charges have decided never ever to do business with them again.

If you are having an ok experience with them so far, pray every day that nothing goes wrong and you don't turn into a victim like me, since there is no recourse whatsoever!

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

Re: Robbed by Verizon not once but twice!

Did he actually fix the problem? That 3 hour charge and jack fee was caused by that spaz of a technician inputting what he did.

Review by Pathfinder See Profile

• Location: Mount Vernon,Westchester,NY
Good "Always up and speed is consistent"
Bad "None yet"
Overall "Get it if available"

Aug 22,2013:

I have had the service for 8 months now and have never had any outage. My speeds are consistent and reliable. I was able to switch from Freedom Essentials to Digital Voice and am very happy with it. I also changed my speeds from 35/35 to 50/25 for no change in price.

In December of 2011 I had switched from Verizon DSL to Time Warner Triple play. I had been very satisfied with DSL but the increase in TW cable tv made the switch and easy economic choice, I knew that Verizon was wiring my apartment complex for FIOS and I thought that I could have it within the year.

FIOS became available 1 month after my year with TW was up and TW had increased my bill by about $40. As a Verizon retiree I am entitled to the employee plan which is the Ultimate TV package, Freedom Essentials phone and 35/35 internet for 79.99. The cost of 2 boxes is 13.98 bringing the total before taxes and fees to @$94.

I couldn't be happier. The internet is fast, the phone reliable and the tv is great. No pixelation as I was getting with TW. No sudden modem reboots as I got with TW, sometimes in the middle of a telephone conversation. And no BS $3.95 modem rental fee.

I am very satisfied and, even at full price, the service is worth every penny.

member for 14.3 years, 8171 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

wow

wow that is your discount?
I pay same exact amount for 75/35 PRIME HD and 1 set box

Review by Angelicfury See Profile

• Location: Buffalo,Erie,NY
Good "Always on."
Bad "No major bad problems"
Overall "Good choice for good money."

I've waited for FiOS so I could dump RoadRunner. I was happy with Adelphia (as per previous reviews) but everything changed once my service was switched over. Instead of calling everytime my service went down (approx 4 times a week) I just waited for Fios. I'm happy I made the switch and am not looking back.I set up the install for a Wed. and it took under 3 hours. The tech was knowledgeable and dedicated. One other small hiccup was I got charged for an additional computer set up when that wasn't the case.

UPDATE: I have not had any outages since my last review. The speed has always been constant and pings are always low. I have never been happier since leaving TWC. Now i'm sitting back and waiting for FiOS TV.

2nd Update: Still with FiOS as it is still a better deal for me then what anyone else offers. Ditched their router for my own wireless solution. TV and Internet for a hair over $100

Comments:

Justswitched

@72.66.96.x

Superbly sucks

We cannot get consistent service. Channels are consistently out and pixelated. They flicker all the time. It makes the expensive nature of comcast seem worth it. Game of thrones at broadcasted time: out. Ender's game at broadcasted time: out. Davinci's Demons at broadcasted time: out. Penny Dreadful on demand: goes to black and flickers every few seconds. Problems reported: reset box. They reset the box 6 times and it didn't work. That is service that sucks

Angelicfury

join:2001-10-28
Buffalo, NY

Re: Superbly sucks

Is this on FiOS TV? If so I don't think I'm looking forward to it.

Review by mig288 See Profile

• Location: Cherry Hill,Camden,NJ
Good "Excellent speeds and very consistent"
Bad "None at this time."
Overall "Great value and much faster than cable"

I currently have the 35/35 package and the router provided is the Actiontech MI424WR Rev I. The installer completed the job in about 6 hours. He was very neat which I appreciated. I'm very happy with the service/experience at this time. I would highly recommend this service to anyone who could get it.

Update: I have had the service for approx 8 months and have upgraded to the 150/75 internet package. Verizon sent a technician to upgrade the ONT and run an ethernet wire from the ONT to the Actiontech router (not sure why). The speed is great and has been very consistent. I haven't had any problems with my service. Great job Verizon!

Update: I have had the service for 2 years and have further expanded the reach of my connection by adding two Moca LAN adapter to reach basement were I noticed weak WiFi signal and now the coverage is excellent. I moved from the 150/75 connection to 75/35 due to the limitations of the Moca adapters only able to run at about 96 Mbps down and when the new adapters capable of achieving those speeds are released, I will consider again upgrading.

Overall, I'm happy with the service. I wish the set top boxes would be more responsive as I have noticed they sometimes are stuck in limbo. Moreover, I have noticed that the cable companies have started to increase their speed packages at reasonable prices. I hope that Verizon recognizes this and raises the "bar" again.

member for 12 years, 3352 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
PaulyIzGod

join:2008-02-18
Tampa, FL

ethernet wire from the ONT to the Actiontech router

Can't obtain the 150/65 over coax, and If you had an older Bpon ONT it can't obtain 150/65 either. Needed to upgrade you to a GPon ONT. Those are the reason's they made the changes.

mig288
join:2002-07-13
Cherry Hill, NJ

Re: ethernet wire from the ONT to the Actiontech router

I understand the need to upgrade the BPON ONT to GPON, however, what eludes me is why they would need both coax and ethernet plugged into the router?
Bytezboy

join:2001-05-17
New York, NY

Re: ethernet wire from the ONT to the Actiontech router

said by mig288:

Coax is for the set top box to receive guide.
75/35 Fios, Triple Play Extreme.

Review by bob1954 See Profile

• Location: Hackensack,Bergen,NJ
Good "Great value for money, great hd picture, Internet fast, clear phone line."
Overall "If Fios is available in your area do not hestitate and get it..."

Well I was a Cablevision customer for many years and satisfied most of time but with Fios I choosen the Ultimate HD with the 35/35 Internet and the home phone line for 120.00 per month with no contract and the price is good for 24 months. With these services I also have multi room DVR for life for as long as I keep all 3 services. The speed I am receiving now is 43 / 35 and I very happy because this is the speed I receive any time of the day, which was a problem with Optimum. The wireless router is a plus..I will keep you updated as time goes on.

This is just an update of the services I have, and I really don't have anything to add to my review.. The services have been flawless and I couldn't be any happier..I would highly recommend Fios to anyone that can receive it...The phone service is crystal clear, and the TV has a great HD picture, and the internet is always 43megs down and 35 megs up...

06/20/12: Renegoicated by Fios deal so I can get the new speeds, which for me now is 84megs down and 37mes up. I still have all the channels plus all the HD Channels...No visit was required, and everything was done as promissed...If this service is available to you, there is no other choices...Recommend highly...

I am still very well pleased with the service and speed, but the only thing I would like to see them do is add more HD channels..

05/28/2014 Well I am still pleased with my Fios.. I was Cablevision customer for many year before Fios and Cablevision is a good company, but when the people came home from work, the internet took a dive downward.. I can't say that about Fios it is the same speed all the time 75/35 and with Netflix it works and performs very well for me.

member for 14.3 years, 4481 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
ExtremeRFR

join:2005-05-13
West New York, NJ

1 recommendation

Multi Room DVR RULES

In order to keep the MultiRoom DVR, you must keep your services active and uninterrupted. Meaning if you are late on a payment kiss your Multi Room DVR Free for Life GONE! Set up automatic payments so you can keep your DVR monthly fee FREE. Or pay each month and not pass the Date Due. Just to let you know. I was reading the fine prints. Good luck and enjoy your FiOS! I've been a customer for over 2 years. I love their services!

Review by FDM80 See Profile

• Location: Silver Spring,Montgomery,MD
Good "Very Reliable"
Bad "Price has increased 57% since original installation."
Overall "Acceptable service but has been uncompetitive on price over the last few years."

15/5 @ $63 per month.

member for 13 years, 4522 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Cholofrances

@216.223.27.x

Internet is slow at night

While I am playing video games at night and trying to do my work I get a really high ping and afterwards I lag

Boss Playa

@72.185.175.x

Re: Internet is slow at night

They have a deal going in florida right now 50/25 and cable with over 250 channels and HBO or Showtime for 70 after taxes

Review by Xela19115 See Profile

• Location: Richboro,Bucks,PA
Good "The service is solid, Internet is fast, video PQ is great"
Bad "Installation department and customer service need to have a better coordination"
Overall "Great value for the money"

The service seems to be fast and stable. Ping numbers are low, well at least compared to Comcast. And it is fast. I have not done any tweaking yet... Just got installed a few days ago.

Update: 5/14/2014: Still great service at a decent price.

member for 13.8 years, 3377 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by tippboogie See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY

·Verizon Online DSL
Not one single problem. Glad I made the switch.

member for 12.6 years, 4508 visits, last login: a few hours ago