Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1929 reviews (1457 good) (140 bad)

Review by Acct101 See Profile

• Location: Bensalem,Bucks,PA
Bad "Never showed up to install Fios and never called"

·T-Mobile US
Verizon was supposed to be here between 8 and 11 am. Never showed. I called at 12:30 and they said they ran into a problem and wanted me to reschedule.

Thanks for being pro-active and calling in the morning, Instead I had to sit around and wait for nothing.

member for 3 years, 481 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by julesism See Profile

• Location: Lewisville,Denton,TX
Good "Service never goes down and I always get the speeds I pay for."
Bad "Billing is a complete mess. Still behind on HD content."
Overall "FiOS has lost it's new car shine/smell."

I've wanted FIOS for years but never lived in an area where it was available. How I lived without FIOS for so long baffles me. Now that I have it, I'll never be able to live without it. The internet speeds are unheard of and are stable\reliable. Internet is most important to me so I'm golden. I'm using my own router. My internet is Ethernet\DHCP so all I had to do was release the DHCP lease on the Verizon router and plug the Ethernet drop into my Linksys WRT610Nv2 running TomatoUSB. The routers supplied by Verizon are yawn.

TV is pretty good but here is where my complaints are. The hard drive size is not very big. FIOS TV is missing several HD channels that many other providers have. For me, I'm disappointed that Fox Soccer Channel HD and BBC America HD are not available. I had Remote DVR Access working using my Linksys router but they disabled my access because I am using an unsupported router. I understand if it's not supported but don't disable mine when it's working fine. Not happy about that but I'll live.

My bill will go up to ~$170 a month ($155 if I drop FS+) after my first 6 months. First month is ~$135.

Signed up on 4/26/10. Live on 4/30/10
FIOS 35/35 Internet
Ultimate HD with EPIX
1 x Home Media HD-DVR STB
1 x HD STB
Fox Soccer Plus a la carte (+$15)

UPDATE 11/2/10
In late July, I returned the Home Media DVR and the HD STB for a HD DVR box to save some money. It took until October to get the billing straightened out but each time I was properly credited, just a hassle to call and fix it. It's all good now. My bill is now ~$135\month after promotions\credits. I'm getting $20 credits and HBO\Cinemax free until December.

UPDATE 12/22/10
I just dropped FiOS TV but kept FiOS internet. I now have 15/5 for $54.99 a month. I switched to TWC for TV because they have 3 soccer channels (FSC, FS+, and GOLTV) in HD. FiOS has 0. As soon as FiOS catches up with FSC and FS+, I plan on going back to FiOS TV.

UPDATE May 2011
I came back to FIOS TV after the footie season was over and also went with a triple bundle. I currently have Ultimate HD with a MR-DVR in the living room and a stand alone HD box in the bedroom, 35/35 internet, and digital voice for ~$136/mth including taxes and after discounts. I'm happy with the newer STB's and FSC-HD is nice. All I need now is FS+HD and IMG 1.9.

UPDATE 11-28-11
Bill went up $10 to ~$146. Lost a discount. Following another members action, I've decided to lower the value for money option. I'm constantly debating whether or not I should go back to TWC for TV. FiOS TV has fallen behind with HD additions. TWC has FS+, GolTV, ESPN Deportes, and soon Fox Deportes all in HD. FiOS has none of those. It was like pulling teeth getting FiOS to give us FSC in HD. I'm pretty sure I can count the number of HD additions since April 2010 on both hands. Really wish FiOS exec's would make some decisions on their plans to combat this but nothing but fuzzy math and logic so far.

UPDATE 4-11-12
I decided to lower the pre-sales and tech support ratings. The product works great but when I have to speak to six different reps to make changes to my account, it's frustrating. Anytime I have made changes to my account, it's been painful :/

UPDATE 4-9-2014
We dropped TV service many months ago. FiOS TV is still way behind on HD content for our interests so we have TWC for TV. We currently have 50/25 internet only. Bill runs just under $74 a month. Considering bundling with TWC but 25mbps up is nice.

UPDATE 7-31-2014
Added TV back just before the World Cup in June. Upgraded to 75/75 speeds on 7/20. Just got my first bill it's $15 higher than what I signed up for. Thankfully I still have the order information with the price I agreed to. Waiting on Verizon to sort it out. Billing issues plague Verizon FiOS. Don't get me started on the fact that you cannot order TV service with a cablecard online or a phone rep...

member for 12.7 years, 2603 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by gower2352 See Profile

• Location: Laurel,Prince Georges,MD
Good "SuperFast, Easy to Make Changes, Billing Seems Good Thus Far"
Bad "Nothing at moment "
Overall "Sign up online if your home is already wired and you'll get a great deal!"

Order the ultimate package. Ordered online and got some really great credits for the 24 months period. Also ordered all the movies channels I could have. Install was super easy since my apartment was already pre-wired. Got the new Quantum TV service.

Comments:

Review by fixrman See Profile

• Location: Hatboro,Montgomery,PA
Good "Better than advertised download, upload - last mile."
Bad "Price increases"
Overall "Initial great value, good speed. Great tech install!!"

I had some specific instructions for the tech, and she went one better with it. We canceled the first install because of *our* schedule; the tech was finished in 6 hours on this appointment and was very conscientious, placing the battery backup in a great location.

FiOS seems to have it all over the DSL department.

I have to say the order to live was about 7 days, because they would have installed on the original date were it not for our change. I don't know if I would have had the same tech, but I am glad she did it.

Vonage didn't work right off, but it is understandable that the tech wouldn't be allowed to set that up. All I had to do was port forward and I was back on in less than four minutes with Vonage.

Super seamless!

7/13/07 - Still loving FiOS. If you are paying for DSL, especially 3.0/768... dump it for this. I have cancelled VZ phone service, and couldn't be happier with FiOS. Zip,Zoom,Fly!

9/29/07 - FiOS is still it. Now to do something about my VoIP, which is not making it at all. (The orange box people)

11/23/07 - I called FiOS and reported an outage. Not the first I experienced, but this was a bit longer. Called at 08:10 and had a truck show up at 09:20! In one hour and ten minutes I had a service tech. It took him another 20 minutes maybe to change the ONT, and all was well. Bravissimo, FiOS! I changed my tech support rating to a 5 because they deserve it.

07/21/08 - Nothing really new to report, unless no interruptions are new to you. If you read this while on cable - well, why did you?

09/16/08 - Still cruising along at light speed. No problems, just uptime. Get it.

Got FiOS? If you don't have it by now, you are silly.

6/22/09 - No problems still. Price has gone up so I may call and complain about that.

12/05/10 - Still the same rock solid FiOS as was on day one. If you are reading this better than three years later, why haven't you made up your mind yet?

7/27/14 - Should have updated this a while ago. The price kept creeping up for the same service, so I felt I wasn't getting very good value for the money. They upgraded us to the 50m/25m "Quantum" service. The speed is not consistent and is really only a "last mile" speed.

member for 11.6 years, 1649 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

ferdland

@73.39.23.x

Verizon fios

I enjoy having VZFios but when we moved, the area we live in dont have Verizon Fios, so we had to use Comcast who was the only provider in the area

tfrionli
Tom F.

join:2001-06-21
Kings Park, NY

Re: Verizon fios

i'm interested in your comparison between fios and comcast service, can you post a review?
tfrionli

Review by rasmusjc See Profile

• Location: Southlake,Tarrant,TX

I have the Verizon FIOS Triple Play Bundle with Quantum 75/35 speeds. Not much to tell other than service has been great.

Comments:

Review by xaebz56K See Profile

• Location: Englewood,Sarasota,FL
Good "Excellent speeds and very reliable."
Bad "None."
Overall "Best ISP I have ever had."

·Everest Communic..
The router supplied is their latest and best, an ActionTec Router. All equipment is new, I have the bundle which includes TV, they also supplied their best HDTV cable box, a new one.

I've had absolutely no problems at all with Verizon. I also added on 2 more TVs with just their very basic cable box, just tunes all Verizon TV channels, no menu. These work exceptionally well too. When setting them up I had problems with them being recognized, the Verizon rep. was exceptionally friendly and helpful.

The price of $80 is for Internet and Prime TV, and does not include the 3 TV boxes. I was surprised every single thing they supplied was brand new and the best they offer. I've also been surprised at how helpful and friendly their reps. have been.

The service is extremely reliable.

Comments:

Review by br0adbanddoc See Profile

• Location: Norristown,Montgomery,PA
Good "It's stable and quick."
Bad "Streaming Netflix is garbage unless I turn on my work VPN."
Overall "If you use Netflix for your primary source of video entertainment, forget about Fios."

Overall the Fios install went pretty well except that Verizon guaranteed that they would provide us with a battery for the system's battery backup and the tech forgot to install the battery. This generated another service call where I had to be home for a different tech to show up, verify that we definitely didn't have a battery and then install the battery. The original installer tech also cut down some old drops that another Verizon Fios tech had left laying across other various cable/telephone drops in our back yard.

With regard to the service, normal web browsing, Youtube streaming and gaming work well. However, if you use Netflix as either a way to augment your normal TV service or as your primary source of TV service, forget about Fios. It is absolutely awful. I have resorted into using a VPN connection on my laptop in order to allow anything better than an unreliable SD picture from Netflix.

If you don't use Netflix, get it. If you do use Netflix, get Comcast.

Comments:

Review by fiosultimate See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX

Stable speed,almost all the TV channels, issue free phone service

Comments:

Review by trissypissy See Profile

• Location: Tampa,Hillsborough,FL
Good "symmetric speeds"
Bad "expensive"
Overall "some day maybe we'll have ambient connectivity. lets build a mesh network to fuck the telcoms."

i got in a chat room and asked them to provision me for ethernet rather than coax, and they did, and it's nice being able to now just plug whatever I want (in this case a ddwrt router) so long as it has ... the right MAC address I believe then it seems to get a DHCP lease just fine.

i really wish they'd give us ipv6 already.

Comments:

Review by bsangs See Profile

• Location: Montclair,Essex,NJ
Good "Internet speeds, reliability, picture quality, DVR, programming/channel lineup, on-line support"
Bad "Phone support still hit or miss"
Overall "Great internet service, TV side has improved significantly since I joined"

UPDATED 7/22/14

The DLSReports bot is bugging me for a review update, so here goes.

Recently upgraded to the Quantum Premium service - 12 tuners utilizing two DVRs and two client boxes. Upgrade was smooth and while the Quantum system is still in its infancy, I've been very pleased with it. The increased tuners, the increased storage space has been great. No more recording conflicts. Lost a free DVR for Life credit, but FiOS reps helped make up for that in other ways.

FiOS offers every channel I watch regularly in HD. I know there are some channels others still want, but I'm good. The HD picture is still the best around, as is FiOS's reliability for both TV and internet.

Price for Triple Play Ultimate is $149.99 and that gives me every available channel. The Quantum Premium service is $64 - $32 each for the equipment and the Quantum service itself. Don't judge, I like to watch TV. Tried Tivo for a month with FiOS and the Quantum DVR system is a much better experience. Mainly because it just works, whereas TiVO was very unreliable.

Use the Verizon Direct forum here at DSLReports or the forums at Verizon's website if you need technical support. Much better than calling into Dante's Uncredited 8th Circle of Hell known as Verizon phone support.

I imagine the only reason I'd leave FiOS is if I moved to an area that didn't offer it. Between Comcast, RCN and Directv - the other providers I've had throughout the years - FiOS is easily the best overall experience.

UPDATED 12/8/13

Still have a FiOS Triple Play Package - Ultimate, 50/35, DV. Have a free DVR for life (would normally cost $19.99 per month), a second DVR ($16.99) and three HD STBs ($6.99 each).

The best part about FiOS remains its internet and reliability. Unfortunately, it's fallen so far behind other service providers in hardware technology, that if I weren't receiving a free DVR for life I would probably dump the television service altogether.

FiOS also remains behind the pack for sports programming. Some basic sports channels carried in HD on nearly every other provider remain in SD on FiOS - and some of those channels aren't even available unless you subscribe to the highest programming package. (Not important to the non-sports fan, I understand.)

I'll update my review of the TV side of FiOS if/when they ever deliver a DVR with more than two tuners. I'll never leave FiOS internet though. Nothing compares to it in my area.

UPDATED 1/26/13

OK, the DSL Reports system manager wants me to update my original review. Here goes.

-- Still have FiOS, even though I've sampled DirecTV during the last year as well. The best thing about FiOS remains its reliability. It is rock solid. Even during Hurricane Sandy, when we lost power, the FiOS never went out, until the backup battery died.
-- The DVR's have been greatly improved since I originally joined in 2010. Faster, better looking, larger HDs, ability to connect an external drive. The interface - now 1.9.1 is much better than the old 1.8 interface.
-- TV picture remains pristine and although FiOS doesn't offer some HD channels that people clamor for, it carries every one I enjoy watching, save for CBS SportsNetwork.
-- Also upgraded internet speed to 50/35, although it measures more like 60/40 at most times, which is great.
-- Multi Room DVR service works great, although what can be annoying are audio/video dropouts when watching a program from a different DVR. It is quickly remedied by rewinding the program, but still, it's bothersome. (Doesn't happen all the time though, which is weird.)
-- Recent software update to DVRs has improved the interface speed. For a while there were some issues, but all appears to have been fixed (knock wood).
-- Only wish there would be more HD offerings for sports subscriptions. Still limited when compared to DirecTV, which is the only reason I'm leaning toward going back to DirecTV when baseball season starts.
-- Also in our area, the Ultimate package includes every premium channel - HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Showtime, TMC, Epix - which is a steal if you're into those channels.
-- My monthly price includes three DVRs - one free for life - and a free SD STB, also included free for life with the package I originally received. DVRs run $19.99 per month for the main MRDVR and $16.99 for regular DVRs. (HD STBs - non-DVR - are $6.99.)

member for 12 years, 1358 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Noni

@bhn.net

Horrible Tech Support and Customer Support

I ordered fios on 12/5/13 and first available install date was 12/14/13 between 8-10am. Tech showed up and said he was not going to install what I asked for since it was not worth the money. He went outside and called and upgraded me to a higher price package. He had some lady talk to me on the phone and she told me the price and I said no it was too much. The tech snatched the phone away and hung up on the lady. He went outside and was talking on the phone to someone else. Verizon called me on my phone and was offering me a different package when the tech came inside and told me to hang up the phone. I asked why he said all they are gonna do is confuse me. I said I am not going to hang up. He got in his truck and left. Now I can't get a tech out here. This has been an 11 hour nightmare. Thank goodness I did not cancel Brighthouse. Verizon Fios is horrible!!!

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

Re: Horrible Tech Support and Customer Support

Noni, that is completely ridiculous. I hope by now you have entered a complaint through the proper Verizon channels. What you experienced was a technician upgrading your package essentially without your approval in order to obtain a COMMISSION. You got a very bad apple there, unfortunately. The majority of their technicians do good work. Keyword: majority.
bsangs

join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

Re: Horrible Tech Support and Customer Support

Italian is right Noni. The Verizon techs are by far the best I've ever dealt with. What happened to you is not only ridiculous, but far from the norm.