Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1955 reviews (1464 good) (148 bad)

Review by chazwr See Profile

• Location: Spring Lake,Monmouth,NJ
Good "high speed, competitive price, included extras"
Bad "Supplied (free) wireless router has confusing interface"
Overall "great value so far, let's see how billing goes"

Had a choice of FIOS or Optimum. FIOS features and price had the edge, and I was pleasantly surprised when the products delivered exceed what was promised: 1. package is 15/5 MB/s (tier 1 plan ) , I am seeing 20/5. 2. Ordered 1 hd and 1 sd tv box, received 2 HD at no extra charge. 3. Wireless hotspot access supposed to be for next tier, it came with my order.

Install was quick, and the tech, was knowledgeable, friendly and worked quickly.

The only hitch so far is I cannot get WPA2 or even WPA to work on the router.
***Update***
The GUI is just VERY poor, the WPA2 was, in fact, working, but the web interface does
very strange things. The main wireless settings page only reflects the state of WEP, and if you enable WAP2 it shows no encryption. Anyway, it seems to work.

Router is an Actiontec MI424WR

Update:
2 billing cycles and no problems. So far I am very pleased with the products and services.

Update:
No issues yet.

Update 2011-10-6: Still good.

Update 2015-2-1: Still no troubles. I have had to wrangle with pricing on television service once in a while. Finally wound up signing 2 year contract, but price is back to where it started, and some decent channels were added. Also, my internet service was automatically upgraded to 15/15 from 15/5. No extra charge. Sandy aside, no outages either.

Comments:

Review by SimplyDimi See Profile

• Location: East Elmhurst,Queens,NY
Good "Great pings when there's no peering/congestion issues (rarely nowadays)"
Bad "Slow DL speed from 6pm-12am EST (constant congestion/peering issues)"
Overall "Decent service when it's working but has turned horrible lately (avoid for now)"

Order/install took about a week and a half, bumpy sign up with savings and deals the representative promised to be giving me, claimed I was voiding install fee's and a bunch of other things which I ultimately had to call in to clarify a bunch of times till they credited the money back. (charged me an extra 150$ just to hook up a cat5e cable from ONT to the router which were 2 feet away from each other, tech had done it on his own without informing me of any additional charges but was billed later that month for it)

75/75 internet, phone and preferred HD services. (all routers supplied are horrible for wifi, use your own)

Only issue is with the actual internet service itself, upon signing up with verizon fios they claimed I wouldn't have to deal with congestion like issues anymore because they're a dedicated fiber infrastructure. My 75/75 turns to 5/75 after 6pm, so that was a lie.

For months now 1000's of people on dsl reports and the verizon forums along with myself are reporting the same issue of their download speed dropping significantly around 6pm-12am, along with having huge ping spikes and numerous hops with packet loss. I've opened over 17 tickets that have been labelled "resolved" and 4 techs show up and swap my gear, they keep closing tickets when the issue still persists every night like clockwork.

Verizon has done nothing but give people the runaround and refuses to acknowledge tracert's, speed tests and every little piece of info pointing to their poorly maintained CO's not properly configured to support the mass amount of people connecting to them, they're also inevitably bad at providing good peering and purposely put people through horrible/congested nodes.

Again not everyone is having these issues but a large amount are and who knows how many average users don't even see what's going on. All I see on twitter are 100's and thousands of people complaining about the services after 6pm as opposed to before that time frame, could they be having the same issue? my guess is probably.

Overall I would advise staying away from FiOS for the meantime, unless you wanna try your luck and hope you're one of the lucky ones that won't experience these issues.

member for 51 days, 70 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

Wait? Verizon is selling off alot of it's customers to frontier..

Where are you? This could explain it. By the way when did this start happening? Because I heard Frontier (and frontier fiOS) performance was terrible.
SimplyDimi

join:2015-01-13
East Elmhurst, NY

Re: Wait? Verizon is selling off alot of it's customers to frontier..

said by greatshow09:

New York, which isn't part of the areas VZ sold to Frontier.

Review by lijacobs See Profile

• Location: Lawrence,Nassau,NY
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "Excellent TV Quality, Inet speed higher than expected (43/35)"
Bad "none"
Overall "Beats CV, both price and quality"

1-30-2015

I recently received the automatic upgrade from 35/25 to 50/50. Naturally, I see no difference. Like most users, I never use anywhere near the bandwidth that I am allocated and certainly not the "Speedmatch" 50 Mbps upload speed which is just an advertising gimmick. My daughter's family has the 25/25 service at their home and, like me they never have had any problem streaming videos from any source. The vast majority of FiOS subscribers who upgrade to the higher speed tiers are, in my opinion wasting their money. I continue to be completely satisfied with the quality of my TV, internet and telephone service.

9-15-2013

I still have the same plan and I am still pleased with the quality of service. The on-screen caller ID and the remote access to the DVR are now both very reliable too. Video streaming from all sources including YouTube is excellent.

Double Flex up to 15/5, Extreme HD, MRDVR, HDSTB, QIP72xx,, QIP71xx

3 years negotiating with Verizon before turn up in our co-op - July, 2010

6-28-2011

I'm a Verizon retiree and recently took advantage of VZs new FiOS plan for employees and retirees. I now have Triple Play, Ultimate TV, 35/35 Internet and Freedom Essentials Phone. The service is generally very high quality and reliable except for the on-screen caller ID feature and remote access to my DVR which don't work work most of the time. The picture quality is far better than Cablevision, our previous provider. Internet speed is reliable and never slows down no matter what time of day. Cablevision's speed was variable and was especially slow in the evening hours.

member for 4.5 years, 1589 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by bsangs See Profile

• Location: Montclair,Essex,NJ
Good "Internet speeds, reliability, picture quality, DVR, programming/channel lineup, on-line support"
Bad "Phone support still hit or miss"
Overall "Great internet service, TV side has improved significantly since I joined"

UPDATED 1/27/15

The bot is bugging me to update so here goes...

Dropped FiOS Quantum TV to FiOS Local TV only and am using DirecTV for my viewing. Maybe once they work out all the bugs with Quantum I'll be back, but right now the service just isn't worth the money. Still very pleased with the internet service.

UPDATED 7/22/14

The DLSReports bot is bugging me for a review update, so here goes.

Recently upgraded to the Quantum Premium service - 12 tuners utilizing two DVRs and two client boxes. Upgrade was smooth and while the Quantum system is still in its infancy, I've been very pleased with it. The increased tuners, the increased storage space has been great. No more recording conflicts. Lost a free DVR for Life credit, but FiOS reps helped make up for that in other ways.

FiOS offers every channel I watch regularly in HD. I know there are some channels others still want, but I'm good. The HD picture is still the best around, as is FiOS's reliability for both TV and internet.

Price for Triple Play Ultimate is $149.99 and that gives me every available channel. The Quantum Premium service is $64 - $32 each for the equipment and the Quantum service itself. Don't judge, I like to watch TV. Tried Tivo for a month with FiOS and the Quantum DVR system is a much better experience. Mainly because it just works, whereas TiVO was very unreliable.

Use the Verizon Direct forum here at DSLReports or the forums at Verizon's website if you need technical support. Much better than calling into Dante's Uncredited 8th Circle of Hell known as Verizon phone support.

I imagine the only reason I'd leave FiOS is if I moved to an area that didn't offer it. Between Comcast, RCN and Directv - the other providers I've had throughout the years - FiOS is easily the best overall experience.

UPDATED 12/8/13

Still have a FiOS Triple Play Package - Ultimate, 50/35, DV. Have a free DVR for life (would normally cost $19.99 per month), a second DVR ($16.99) and three HD STBs ($6.99 each).

The best part about FiOS remains its internet and reliability. Unfortunately, it's fallen so far behind other service providers in hardware technology, that if I weren't receiving a free DVR for life I would probably dump the television service altogether.

FiOS also remains behind the pack for sports programming. Some basic sports channels carried in HD on nearly every other provider remain in SD on FiOS - and some of those channels aren't even available unless you subscribe to the highest programming package. (Not important to the non-sports fan, I understand.)

I'll update my review of the TV side of FiOS if/when they ever deliver a DVR with more than two tuners. I'll never leave FiOS internet though. Nothing compares to it in my area.

UPDATED 1/26/13

OK, the DSL Reports system manager wants me to update my original review. Here goes.

-- Still have FiOS, even though I've sampled DirecTV during the last year as well. The best thing about FiOS remains its reliability. It is rock solid. Even during Hurricane Sandy, when we lost power, the FiOS never went out, until the backup battery died.
-- The DVR's have been greatly improved since I originally joined in 2010. Faster, better looking, larger HDs, ability to connect an external drive. The interface - now 1.9.1 is much better than the old 1.8 interface.
-- TV picture remains pristine and although FiOS doesn't offer some HD channels that people clamor for, it carries every one I enjoy watching, save for CBS SportsNetwork.
-- Also upgraded internet speed to 50/35, although it measures more like 60/40 at most times, which is great.
-- Multi Room DVR service works great, although what can be annoying are audio/video dropouts when watching a program from a different DVR. It is quickly remedied by rewinding the program, but still, it's bothersome. (Doesn't happen all the time though, which is weird.)
-- Recent software update to DVRs has improved the interface speed. For a while there were some issues, but all appears to have been fixed (knock wood).
-- Only wish there would be more HD offerings for sports subscriptions. Still limited when compared to DirecTV, which is the only reason I'm leaning toward going back to DirecTV when baseball season starts.
-- Also in our area, the Ultimate package includes every premium channel - HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Showtime, TMC, Epix - which is a steal if you're into those channels.
-- My monthly price includes three DVRs - one free for life - and a free SD STB, also included free for life with the package I originally received. DVRs run $19.99 per month for the main MRDVR and $16.99 for regular DVRs. (HD STBs - non-DVR - are $6.99.)

member for 12.5 years, 1553 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Noni

@bhn.net

Horrible Tech Support and Customer Support

I ordered fios on 12/5/13 and first available install date was 12/14/13 between 8-10am. Tech showed up and said he was not going to install what I asked for since it was not worth the money. He went outside and called and upgraded me to a higher price package. He had some lady talk to me on the phone and she told me the price and I said no it was too much. The tech snatched the phone away and hung up on the lady. He went outside and was talking on the phone to someone else. Verizon called me on my phone and was offering me a different package when the tech came inside and told me to hang up the phone. I asked why he said all they are gonna do is confuse me. I said I am not going to hang up. He got in his truck and left. Now I can't get a tech out here. This has been an 11 hour nightmare. Thank goodness I did not cancel Brighthouse. Verizon Fios is horrible!!!

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

Re: Horrible Tech Support and Customer Support

Noni, that is completely ridiculous. I hope by now you have entered a complaint through the proper Verizon channels. What you experienced was a technician upgrading your package essentially without your approval in order to obtain a COMMISSION. You got a very bad apple there, unfortunately. The majority of their technicians do good work. Keyword: majority.
bsangs

join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

Re: Horrible Tech Support and Customer Support

Italian is right Noni. The Verizon techs are by far the best I've ever dealt with. What happened to you is not only ridiculous, but far from the norm.

Review by Darrin See Profile

• Location: Venice,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Performance, reliability"
Bad "Customer service, non-discount pricing"
Overall "Great service but beware of Verizon customer service"

There is no doubt that the fiber-to-the-home FIOS service is superior to cable in just about every way. Upstream speeds are much better. Latency is much lower (which makes a much bigger difference than most people realize). Outages are more or less non-existant.

The sign up started off great - 50/50 internet (only) for $39/month on a 2yr contract, with a year of Netflix thrown in. I jumped on it. The on-line sign up failed at the last hurdle (credit card handling) and I had to finish it off by phone, which was a rather long and tedious call with lots of unnecessary stages.

The modem came a week later and after another long, tedious activation call we were up and running.

The year of free Netflix that was promised never materialized, and now they claim it was never offered to me.

Another warning: From last time I had FIOS - when your promotion runs out its very hard getting another one out of Verizon. After my monthly bill went up 65%, they would not budge on the price. I actually had to cancel service and switch to TWC for a month, before I could use the offer above as a "new" customer.

Comments:

Review by WhyMeEh See Profile

• Location: Oxnard,Ventura,CA
Good "Internet Sped, TV Picture quality"
Bad "Installation"
Overall "Once service installed, it's great"

Update 01/24/15:

Everything is working great. Attached 2 speeds tests. 1 from LA and 1 from NYC. I'm on 75/75.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ordered Triple Play - 25/25 + Select HD (I think) + phone for $99.99/mo for 24 months, plus a standard HD receiver and cable card which adds another $20/mo. Part of the holiday deal was the movie pack (Showtime, HBO, etc), upgrade to 50/50 for free for duration of contract, and $400 prepaid VISA card after 3 months of service. Ordered over the phone; process was fast and smooth.

Initially given install date of 11/24/14. Install went horribly, which I sort of documented here: »[Networking] Broken fiber from home to street?

After over a half a dozen phone calls to Verizon support, service was finally installed on 12/20.

I was frustrated about the situation so I complained. Ended up getting free upgrade to 75/75 and 26 days worth of compensation.

Internet is blazing fast. As noted in countless other Verizon FiOS reviews, Verizon gives you more than you pay for. In my case, I consistently test at around 88/85. Will post speedtest later.

TV picture quality is excellent. I was previously a TWC tv/net customer for 6 years and a Cox tv/net customer for 4 years. FiOS tv quality beats cable hands down. My Motorola HD receiver is nice enough; VOD works, the guide is decent (layout takes getting used to), and I have plenty of channels with the inclusion of movie pack.

Regarding cable card. Tech who did install paired the card in my tv tuner. All channels worked fine except movie channels. I called Verizon. Automated support suggested I reset cable card, so I did that. The reset hosed my card. After the reset, I could tune to absolutely no cable channels. Called Verizon support and they ended up sending me another card (still in the mail). Moral of the story is I wouldn't allow the automated system to reset my cable card if I were you.

Haven't used land line yet. Everybody uses their cell these days, including myself.

Overall, extremely irritating install process. I give props to the one Support rep who FINALLY took it upon himself to look into my situation and get me the 2nd install date. Other than that, I'm very happy with the price. I had been paying nearly $160/mo for Cox tv/net/phone - slower speeds and less channels (plus crappy video quality).

Updates to come in the future.

Comments:

Review by Bossco See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "Quality. Reliability. 24/7/365 tech support. Service techs are great."
Bad "Nothing really (hope I didn't jinx myself ;-)"
Overall "There is no better alternative IMHO."

Really can't complain about anything since they finally upgraded the premium DVR-STB to 5 recordings at a time. Email reliability is most important to me (home office) and it's been down only 2x in 5 years. Service tech has been out twice in last 2 years and both times they showed up within a day and were great guys.

Comments:

Review by dvarona See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,Queens,NY
Good "Faster download speeds!"
Bad "Still spotty connections to some sources"
Overall "Good choice if you need fast connectivity, but they do have cheaper options"

·Covad Communicat..
I originally had a specialized DSL with COVAD (10Mbps +5 static IPs, $175/mo) and a separate cable TV package with Time Warner ($90/mo for standard digital). My new service with FiOS replaces both of those with a net savings of $120/mo. However, most other FiOS users don't come from a $175/mo DSL package, so obviously my savings are outsized from the norm.

Order was done by reps sitting at tables outside my building. Filling out the details took annoyingly long-- about 35 minutes to type everything one finger at a time into a tablet. However, the installation was scheduled for only a few days later; they had already put all the fiber into the building, so all they had to do was install the equipment into the apartment. Installation was mostly painless, except that I wanted a DVR that I was not given the option for until the installer added it extra. So that bumped the price up a bit, but I am not complaining about it.

The main reason I wanted FiOS, and dearly for the past 10 years or so, was that all other Internet options were technologically lame. Cable seemed to get clogged in the evenings during peak times. DSL speeds were limited. And Verizon just seemed to indifferent to actually give FiOS to people who wanted it. But FiOS is here, FiOS is here! .

I signed up for the 75/35 Mbps package, and this was "upgraded" to 75/75 Mbps. The increase in upload is dubiously useful unless you are sending your own YouTube videos regularly or streaming data from home, but download speeds have been as fast as 10MB/s (that's MegaBytes) compared to my previous DSL speeds of about 1MB/s. In general web browsing is a bit snappier, but Verizon also seems to have poor peering connections with some other ISPs. For example, videos from the Steam gaming platform can be inexplicably slow. Similar behavior is found for imgur.com. These all seem to be site-specific, and only periodically spotty, while I have no problem to other sites. But those relatively small Steam videos just ... won't ... load...

The TV service is somewhat underwhelming. I miss NY1 from Time Warner, but it's not worth it continuing to put up with TW's mediocrity-- despite their fancy new customer centers and media blitz. The FiOS TV channels are laid out in very odd arrangements, with about 20 public access channels right near the lower end of the number range. Channels also get repeated because each channel has a higher-numbered HD channel to go with it. And then there seems to be a higher duplication even further up. There is no "start over" feature to back up to the beginning of a program; I also miss that TW feature.

Video quality is significantly improved over TW since Verizon doesn't have the bandwidth restrictions that TW has; the video doesn't need to be compressed so hard. MPEG artifacts are much less noticeable than they are on TW cable. Set top box is much more responsive, in boot time, channel changing, and video shifting on the DVR.

Oh, I also got a phone number with my "triple package". I couldn't care less about the phone number, it just keeps the price low. Presumably in a couple of years the price will change, but I'm sure I'll adjust it easily then.

Comments:

Review by RickYeager See Profile

• Location: Conshohocken,Montgomery,PA
Good "Awesome speed"
Bad "Delivers website differently than Comcast or RCN so ZyWALL USG 100 won't allow FiOS users to get to my websites I host"
Overall "High speed with questionable QoS"

I have FiOS triple play for business. 150 up & down. Tested speed is as advertised. I also have Comcast as a backup.

I host several CRM websites. We have 15 VoIP phones on a hosted service, Vonage Business (Vocalocity).

Vonage recommended the ZyXEL Zywall USG 100 gateway to replace my Cisco RV042G.

Turns out FiOS delivers, gets or filters website delivery to its customers, when they try to open a webpage, differently than Comcast or RCN do.

At this time my employees who are Verizon ViOS customers can't get to my CRM website, but all other employees with other ISPs can. Verizon is trying to blame the problem on the ZyWALL even though all other ISPs deliver my website to their customers without any problem. They say I should find a way to adjust the ZyWALL to correct the FiOS issue.

Now I know if I use our FiOS connection and I go to a website that comes up as not found it may be caused by Verizon FiOS and not the website.

Update: After reviewing logs on The ZyWALL & Verizon router I found that the reply from our ZyWALL is being blocked by the Verizon Router. Now working with ZyXEL to try to overcome the Verizon issue.

Update: 1/21/2014 - Turns out Verizon uses PPPoE on their networks, but they set their routers with MTU set at 1500 instead of 1492. To overcome this issue I had to change the MTU size on our ZyWALL USG 100 from the default 1500 to 1492. Now even FiOS users (employees) can get to our CRM website from their homes.

Comments:

Review by dobby10 See Profile

• Location: Denville,Morris,NJ
Good "Great speed and service"
Bad "The urge to buy more speed"
Overall "I love my FIOS"

After being an OOL customer for years and being very happy, I made the switch, and couldn't go back. From the faster uploads to the great FIOS features I'm a very happy camper.

The internet is always solid, I'm on a 35/35 grandfathered package and consistently get 42/32 while on Wif, from the Verizon router.

The install was quick and painless, and I love that my service stays up even when power goes out. I did have an issue with service due to Sandy where a power surge caused damage to the ONT just affecting my phone service. VZ came out a day before scheduled and replaced the ONT, what other company decides to come early?! Wow, this is not the VZ of days past.

Update:

Wow, it's been over two years since originally getting FIOS. I've moved in that time, remaining in the same town. I received an upgrade to 50/50 staying with the move, while staying at the same price. Service has been great, techs have been great going above and beyond. VZ phone support can be decent, but hit or miss at times, never horrible. I love FIOS.

member for 14.2 years, 3236 visits, last login: a few hours ago