Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1957 reviews (1465 good) (149 bad)

Review by Chris123NT See Profile

• Location: Nesconset,Suffolk,NY
Good "Fast Speed, It's Fiber"
Bad "Some peering issues, but they are being resolved slowly"

Ordered FiOS online on 9/1 and selected an install date of 9/11 (soonest available). On 9/7 a contractor came and ran the fiber drop from the pole and coiled up the extra on the side of my house. 9/10 I got a call confirming that the Installer would show up the next day between 8 and 12.

9/11 - Installer (Steve) arrived at 9:30 AM and began going through the install process with me and we established where we would be putting the ONT, BBU and the router. He was extremely professional and knew exactly what he was doing with every step. I got the 50/5 tier and had both of my voice lines ported over to FiOS and everything is working great. Old copper was cut down before he left and he took it with him.

Speeds are nothing short of awesome:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 50116 kbps (6264.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 4477 kbps (559.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

UPDATE 10/15/07:

Recently got a letter stating that the price of my 50/5 service would be going up to $95 a month which is stretching the value of the service a bit (it'd be worth it with a 10mbit+ upstream).

So I called Verizon after seeing a thread on the forums mentioning a 20/20 tier for $65 a month and the woman at Verizon confirmed it was real and that it was available for me to get. So I jumped on it in the interest of saving a good chunk of change AND having an upload speed to die for. Here are some speed test results (note, speakeasy is highly inaccurate with the upload as the upload test packet size is too small to produce a real reading, so these results are from myspeed.visualware.com):

Download speed 20715 Kbps (socket test)
Upload speed 20395 Kbps (socket test)
Quality of service 99 %
Maximum pause 7 ms
Round trip time 17 ms

Another Test from one of the Java speedtest servers: »/im/38526726/7 ··· 2210.png

Update 11/19/07:
Called today to upgrade my 20/20 to 50/20 (same price as my original 50/5 with an upload that made the price worth it). And here are the speed test results:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 51542 kbps (6442.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 18006 kbps (2250.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Update 2/7/15

Have a triple play with TV, phone and internet, but I guess I never updated this review to reflect that, anywho,

Been a while since I updated this. Yesterday I had 150/150 installed and with it they upgraded my ONT to GPON and gave me a free quantum router. Speeds are exactly as advertised and fixed some latency/slow upload issues I was seeing while on BPON with 75/75.

There are some peering issues over the last year or so but according to Verizon they are working on adding more capacity to remedy those.

member for 13.3 years, 2858 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Network Guy
join:2000-08-25
New York
·Google Voice
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US

Good luck with peer issue

I had FiOS 25/25 for two months and suffered the same peering issues you talk about. Speed test will show great, yet assorted sites will be slow.

I would have stuck it out except that a good portion of my traffic including VoIP seemed to be routed through Alter.net, which based on trace routes and pings, it was adversely impacting connectivity on my end.

Interestingly, Verizon's own speed test site showed my download speeds drop by half from 7 to 10pm.

Chris123NT

join:2001-11-24
Nesconset, NY

Re: Good luck with peer issue

Actually I was having issues with github for well over a year (1 mbit syncs), and starting the day before yesterday the issues seem to be gone (now syncing at max line speed). So knock wood it looks like things are actually getting fixed.

I don't seem to be on one of the CO's experiencing the bizarre night time DL speed dropoff either.

Review by rebus9 See Profile

• Location: Tampa Bay
Good "Fastest internet ride available in the area"
Bad "Static IPs are ridiculously expensive"
Overall "You get what you pay for"

·Bright House Net..
--- Update: 2/2/2013--

Still outstanding service, stable, speeds fluffed to consistent 26/31 on a 15/5 connection. Price went up to $57.99 but it's still a good value as long as the fluff remains.

--- Update: 11/8/2010--

It's been about 15 months and the ride is still sweet. Speeds are still faster than advertised, and my upstream is actually faster now than 6 months ago.

The downside, and it's a BIG downside, happens when you have a problem. I was suffering with horrible packet loss, on the order of 50%. VZ sent a field tech who did everything he could from this end, including replacing the ONT and cleaning every fiber connection between premises and the hub several blocks away. But even while he sat there with his VZ laptop plugged directly into the ONT and was seeing 50-60% packet loss to the default gateway (first hop outbound) and speedtests were barely hitting 2 Mbps, the tech he was on the phone with at the Fiber Support Center was telling him there was nothing wrong with the connection. Worse, the FSC tech said the default gateway was "on the general internet" (WRONG!!!) and packet loss to it was beyond VZ's control (WRONG AGAIN!!!). FSC also said it was a Qwest issue. (WRONG YET AGAIN, because we don't have Qwest in this region... and what would Qwest have to do with the local FIOS service anyway?) And worse yet-- if it could get any worse-- there was already a "group ticket" open for a rash of complaints with their Digital Voice service (which rides the IP network) as well as complaints from other subscribers connected to the same CO regarding heavy packet loss.

The FSC techs apparently have a serious problem with denial, even when presented with widespread complaints of the same issue. I posted in the VZ Direct forum here, and got some responses. I don't know if that's what got the ball rolling faster, or if it was just coincidence, but several days and 2 major downtimes later (one for ~75 minutes, then 2 days later another one for ~45 minutes), the problem was finally resolved.

I'm updating my rating to reflect the superb speed, but horrible tech support (except for the field tech who came out, who gets an A+, and the helpful rep in the VZ Direct forum, which is why I gave 2 stars instead of 1).

------------------------------------

So far, the connection is substantially faster than the advertised speeds. How often do you get MORE than what was promised, especially from an ISP?

The install went smoothly, and our router (we didn't use Verizon's junk) grabbed an IP address and started passing traffic almost immediately-- no fuss, no muss.

Price is good compared to cable, for the speed you get. Knowing that VZ keeps raising prices, I took the 2 year agreement (and the price was of course lower than a 1 year contract). If they come out with better packages, we're allowed to switch mid-term. The early termination fee only applies if you cancel entirely.

I'll update the review for a more long-term viewpoint, once time has gone by. Today, I'm just enjoying the speed which is a huge improvement over 7/512 Road Runner-- which was A+ reliable for 7-1/2 years but just too slow by today's standards compared to FIOS.

The reason I dinged them 1 star on Install Coordination is the only info I got was a single email (9 days in advance) indicating the install date, and there were no followups. They gave no indication whatsoever of what time the installer might arrive, so be prepared to take the whole day off work in case he doesn't show up until afternoon. They could at least give us a 4 hour window like the cable company does.

member for 13 years, 2072 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
NYC Girl
join:2007-02-04
Bronx, NY

50.00 per month is nothing!!

I wish my bill was 50.00.

Review by RScottyL See Profile

• Location: Irving,Dallas,TX
Good "FIOS is a great value for the money! Great data rates and video quality"
Overall "I would recommend FIOS to anyone and everyone!"

I have FIOS all the way around (Voice, Data, Video) and just love it. I was the first install for video in my city, and have enjoyed the channel options. I was a Comcast video customer, and they are always increasing their prices.

Fiber Optics is the future, and Verizon was the first to have it out.

As far as my BAD POINTS above, I have not really had any issues with any of my hardware (STB, Router, NIM) but I know some people have reported issues. This is a brand new service from the ground up, so expect somethings to have "bugs" in them. They are getting better and better as time goes by!

As of now, I have two STB's. I have the main one, which is the QIP6416-1. This one is the HD/DVR. I also have an SD one.

UPDATE (05/27/09): Things have still been going really well, and I still enjoy the quality and quantity of HD channels that Verizon has. Due to the current economic issues, I have been considering dropping the voice and finding a VOIP provider. I have read and heard good things about "OOMA", so may try them out.

UPDATE (02/06/15): I ended up dropping the voice, and going with OOMA for voice. I just use the video and data from Verizon. I upgraded my speed to 75/75 and using their "Quantum" service, including their "Quantum" DVR with 1TB of storage! I am still very happy with the quality of service from Verizon!

Comments:

Review by johnf2 See Profile

• Location: Feasterville Trevose,Bucks,PA
Good "Picture quality the greatest in the world."
Bad "none"
Overall "Very, very satisfied."

Great speed and reliability for the value!
Quantum 50/25 package.
Guide much improved now that Tribune Media provides the guide
FiOS PQ is excellent, that's the huge benefit of fiber optics!

member for 13.2 years, 4638 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by rexbinary See Profile

• Location: Plano,Collin,TX
Good "Fast, low latency, more bandwidth for a better price then any competitor"
Bad "None at all"
Overall "Better than any Cable or DSL connection hands down"

I've had FiOS installed since 8/1/05 and to date I have had no problems or issues with it at all. I have the 15MB down and 2MB up package.

The install took about seven hours as they had a little trouble going under the driveway with the fiber, other then that the install went smooth. They supplied a D-Link Router, but I am using an Apple AirPort Extreme router instead.

I am getting a little over the installed speeds both up and down. Gaming is very nice, on many first person shooter servers my ping is 3 or lower. I have been accused of being an admin on gaming severs because of my ping.

I am very happy with FiOS and I would recommend it to anyone that has access to it.

UPDATE 10/8/06:

After having FiOS for over one year now, I am still just as happy with the service. I have experienced no losses of service, other then one brief scheduled maintenance that was in the middle of the night during the week. I have lost power twice since FiOS was installed, and my telephone still functioned as advertised, no problem. FiOS is unmatched by any other service provider in my area.

The service uses PPPoE. Some people tend to consider this a negative, as in theory the PPPoE induces overhead to your connection causing it to be slower then say a DHCP connection. I am consistently getting my full 15MB/2MB speeds as advertised, and my latency is extremely low. Rumor has it that at some point my connection will be converted from PPPoE to DHCP, I will update my review then with any differences or lack of differences at that time if/when I am converted to DHCP.

UPDATE 8/29/07:

My service is still stellar. No outages or trouble to report, technical or billing. Still getting full speeds and low latency. No throttling or bandwidth shaping that I have detected. I am still on PPPoE, and the last I heard they decided not to convert original customers to DHCP as it was just unnecessary work and cost. I have no complaints about that at all, as it has caused me no grief of any kind. I simply cannot express how happy I am with my FiOS service.

UPDATE 4/15/08

I upgraded to the 15/15 service on 11/26/07 which costs me $59.99 a month. The service is still outstanding, and I would never purchase DSL or Cable again by choice. Still no outages to report since 8/1/05.

UPDATE 10/19/08

Everything is still working perfectly. Still running 15/15 package with my Apple AirPort router. No outages to report. To say I am pleased with the service would be an understatement.

UPDATE 8/10/09

I have upgraded to the 25/15 package. Everything is still working great and no outages to report. But on this upgrade, I having a hard time reaching my maximum bandwidth. I have called Verizon twice to verify I am provisioned correctly and I have also ran the FiOS Optimizer under their favorite operating system Windows. I am still investigating if it is an issue on my end, and I will report my results.

UPDATE 9/12/09

Lightning Strike! Sounded like a bomb went off in my backyard. Took out all the FiOS equipment plus my router, two switches, and the Ethernet port in two of my desktop PCs.

I called Verizon Friday night. They quickly concluded I would need service and scheduled a technician for Sunday morning. To my surprise the technician arrived about 7pm Saturday night. I was very pleased.

The technician said my FiOS equipment was five generations old and replaced all of it including the battery. It took him about an hour to complete the work. I replaced my old router with an Apple Time Capsule 1TB, and I replaced my old switches with Cisco 5-port 1GB switches.

I am now getting my full 25/15 speeds. I do not know what corrected the issue but it could be one of three things.

1) The ONT had never been reset since it was installed in 2005. Maybe if I had reset it, which I planned on trying, could have possibly corrected my speed issue.
2) My five generations old FiOS equipment was replaced with current equipment. Maybe my old FiOS equipment just couldn't handle those speeds.
3) My router was replaced with a much more current router. Maybe my old router couldn't handle those speeds.

It could be a combination of 2 and 3 as well. Either way, Verizon's service was outstanding. Not only am I back up and running quickly, but I am now getting my full speed.

UPDATE 3/30/10

Everything has been still working very well for the most part, but I have had three outages since all my equipment has been upgraded. That is more outages then I have had since I have had the service installed before the equipment upgrade.

All three required a call to Verizon to reset the ONT, and one call required the ONT and the dataport itself to be reset. All three times phone service was unaffected. I will ask them to investigate if I have any more issues with connectivity.

UPDATE 10/13/10

I've experienced a couple of disconnects since my last update that required recycling the ONT, but they have become rare now. I believe the newer equipment I received after the lighting strike is just not as good as my old equipment. Regardless, I am still very happy with the service. I am still getting consistent speeds and low latency.

UPDATE 5/11/11

Service is still superb. Still receiving my full speeds with no throttling or slow downs, and the same great low latency. I have still had one or two disconnects since my last update. I am convinced my current revision of ONT is just not as reliable as what I had the first few years of service. Still, I have not even considered looking at alternatives. Go FiOS Go!

UPDATE 11/17/11

Happy Thanksgiving! My FiOS is still running great. No disconnects or issues to report. Still great speedy service. No equipment changes to report. Sorry this update is so boring, but a boring update means great service in this case.

UPDATE 6/2/12

Summer time is almost here, but my FiOS is still delivering awesome speed without breaking a sweat. No outages, disconnects, or issues to report since my last update. I am still on the 25/15 tier and still getting full speed. Rumor has it new speed tiers will soon be available. I will post an update if I change tiers to let you know how it goes. As usual, I still highly recommend FiOS!

UPDATE 1/27/13

This is going to be a rather boring update, but in this case boring is good! No issues to report since my last update. No outages, no slowdowns, just great service! I have been lazy and have not yet called in to have my speed upgraded to one of the new tiers. I will make another update once I do that an let you all know how it goes!

UPDATE 7/12/13

I finally got around to upgrading my service. I went from 25Mbps/15Mbps to 75Mbps/35Mbps for $5 more a month than what I was already paying. Had I opted for 50Mbps/25Mbps it would have been the same price. I just couldn't pass up 75Mbps/35Mbps for only an extra $5 a month.

It took them a day or so to upgrade my speed. I ran Verizon's Broadband Speed Test which can be found here:

»my.verizon.com/services/speedtes ··· eedtest/

My results: 83.79 Mbps Down and 38.39 Mbps Up

As you can see I'm getting a little 'fluff' in there with some extra speed.

No issues or outages to report at this time. I am still very happy with my service!

UPDATE 3/12/14

Another boring update.

No issues or outages to report. My FiOS just keeps chugging along.

I am looking at finally adding FiOS TV to my account. I am nervous about adding it as I have had such good luck with my service, but the show must go on! I will update with the details and the results of adding FiOS TV service once it occurs. I plan to have them retain my legacy 10Base-T install. We'll see how that goes...

UPDATE 5/1/14

FiOS TV is installed!

I placed my order online. The technician installed an Actiontec MI424WR (New Rev. I) via coax to my ONT, and re-used the existing coax wiring in the house to connect the set top boxes. I disabled the N-band wireless in the Actiontec, and connected my Apple AirPort Extreme N-band router in bridge mode.

Everything has been working fine except I noticed my DVR function was not enabled later after the install. After a lengthy phone call to Verizon, that was resolved. Apparently the set top boxes I have are so new that their support mentioned they are still learning how to deploy and administer them properly. I have no prior experience with FiOS TV to know the difference unfortunately. Internet speeds are exactly the same post TV install.

UPDATE 5/15/14

Mini-update here. I've since learned more about the equipment I received. The router is a New Rev. I Actiontec MI424WR (Dark Red Band), and I received the Quantum TV VMS and STBs.

UPDATE 6/7/14

I made a post in the Verizon Direct forum on this site and requested to be converted from PPPoE to DHCP. A short time later I noticed my router restarted, and guess what? No more PPPoE! And this was on a Saturday!! GREAT SERVICE THANK YOU VERIZON!

UPDATE 7/21/14

I just received my free upgrade to symmetric service for all FiOS residential customers. I went from 75/35 to 75/75 for free! Here are the test results from (»my.verizon.com/services/speedtes ··· eedtest/) : 84.07 Mbps down and 86.65 Mbps up
Thank You once again Verizon!

UPDATE: 2/5/15

"All good things come to an end." Or do they? We'll see. Verizon announced they have sold my beloved FiOS to Frontier Communications with the deal to close in early 2016.

In the meantime (while waiting for the other shoe to drop) I'm happy to report that since my last update my Internet, Phone, and TV have all been performing wonderfully with no issues to report at all.

member for 10.1 years, 5079 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
musk5

join:2005-09-22
Plano, TX

Not happy in Plano

Very unhappy today, both voice and data have been down 14 hrs+ so far ...have received two estimates for neiborhood issue to get resolved and both not met. (even received an automated voicemail 8 hrs ago indicating incorrectly issue had been resolved. What if I had to make a 911 call from fios data line?

Have received conflicting information from my 3 calls to customer support. Hope resolved soon
ExtremeRFR

join:2005-05-13
West New York, NJ

Question about your router

I have FiOS TV, Internet, & Phone and I also have my Time Capsule as my router instead of using the Verizon Router for wireless access. How can I disable N wireless so there's no interference with the wireless network from my Time Capsule?

I would appreciate your help. Thank you

Review by echo7 See Profile

• Location: Bayonne,Hudson,NJ
Good "Went offline only once within two years"
Bad "when its bad its bad"
Overall "Very good ISP aside from all the privacy issues and router coming preconfigured with their dns which drops loads off advertising"

quantum 150/150

Comments:

Review by tmc8080 See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "50/25 more like 58/35"
Bad "power adapter died, installed new one, same ole bpon."
Overall "better than cablevision today."

·Optimum Online
·ooma
~2010
If cablevision wants into this market place, they are going to have to deploy symmetric broadband... 30 - 50 megabits symmetric for between $30 and $50, not $65!
I've got the 25/25 internet tier, fios tv with showtime premiums, digital voice triple play. WIth one hd box comes to just about $98. Smashes anything cablevision.. or time warner offer.

Update 6/30/13
Well, I'm back on Verizon again. Just internet 50/25 which is 58/35 so I'm happy with that. This does come at a time when Cablevision is doing channel bonding and as rumor has it going to do upload upgrades themselves. However $70 a month off promotion with no offer in sight put me back in the Verizon camp again.
I'll likely get back to them in 2015... maybe docsis 3.1 will be around then along with better offers. I'm also hoping for a mini speed war with free upgrades along the way, but that's pie in the sky.. not gonna happen.

Have a cablemodem to return on Monday.

Update 02/03/15
Verizon increased speed late last year from 50/35 to 50/50 symmetric!
While this was working great.. even getting 58/70 for a while.. I had no svc for a day and when they restored it, they dropped the provisioning back to 58/58ish..
My contract is up in June.. so it's likely I'll go back to cablevision later this year unless something happens during the retention phone call $90 for 50 megabit standalone svc isn't gonna cut it!
If anyone can advise on whether it's worth it to buy a D3 cable modem instead of getting hit with a $5 charge for rentals at this stage.. let me know.

member for 10.9 years, 1348 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by fixrman See Profile

• Location: Hatboro,Montgomery,PA
Good "Speed, at times. Poor distant speeds."
Bad "Price increases!! Lousy billing interface. SpeedMatch a farce. "
Overall "Sneaky billing increases. Do not honor agreements, check your bill monthly!!"

·Verizon Online DSL
03 February 2015:

Once again, I have to call FiOS and straighten out another billing error. When I went with Quantum, I needed a new router (Red Banded, REV. I) to get the speeds, so they said. They wanted to charge me for it, but I refused. They finally agreed to send the router no charge. The first month's bill included a charge for the router (split into 3 payments) which prompted a call to get the charge removed. It took a long time of course. They finally agreed to refund the money, but instead of refunding they reduced the charge on the next bill. Fixed, right? Wrong! January's bill (2015, on My Verizon) includes a late payment warning for $31.00!! I figured there must be a credit due to go through, but after waiting several days, no dice. A call yesterday to Emma had me extremely frustrated. I had to explain at least four times how a company cannot issue a credit for an overcharge then re-bill the overcharge after a month goes by. It took my looking up my credit card bill and giving her dates and charge amounts before she could understand me. Another issue is that the billing representatives do not see the same thing a customer sees in billing. How is that possible? Also, when an action is taken by a representative, there is no reference number for the call and they do not send confirmation Emails or have any other way for a customer to keep track of their account and the multiple conversation that will be necessary. Every single time I have to call Verizon, it takes at least an hour to get anything accomplished. Verizon's transparency is terrible, so I will be again lowering my ratings. The value for the money also stinks because I am still not getting SpeedMatch.

10 October 2014:

In May, I "upgraded" to Verizon Quantum; Verizon had been overbilling me for Internet services, so agreed to upgrade me to Quantum speeds at no charge, $65.99 for the next 12 months. In August, national TV advertisements announced a free upgrade to Speed Match. I have yet to get that upgrade.

Today I open my email to find that Verizon is trying to bill me $72.99 for the "service" This isn't the first time Verizon has engaged in sneaky billing, it is at least the fourth. When I originally signed up for FiOS in 2007, the charge was $39.99 a month. I have been a loyal Verizon internet customer since the early DSL days and have recommended Verizon DSL to may people who have signed up for the service, one even was a Verizon employee who didn't have it!

The prices for FiOS are now beyond ridiculous. With the $72.99 bill I just received, it is almost double the price in just six years. I can no longer tolerate this situation. Comcast can supply me with 105M service for $59.99 per month with no incentives to switch. They previously offered me $29.99 for 12 months and $39.99 for two years. I don't want to hear baloney about "shared connections" and "FiOS is better quality"; Verizon cannot deliver the speeds they promise. I have performed speed tests - real world speed tests, not the joke Verizon has for speed tests, if they even work - many times a day. My last mile speed is indeed fast, but that is only to New Jersey. In California, I go back to the slowest DSL speeds. Apparently Verizon's pathways or nodes are very poor cross country.

I just spent quite some time on a chat (Chat ID 10101487080) with a representative who claimed I could get the new, free router which would give me the faster Speed Match. Turns out that in order to get the "free router", I have to pay an additional $25.00 a month, plus pay for shipping of the new router and sign a two year deal. I don't have a problem with a two year deal, but two years is shorter for Verizon, I imagine. My current "deal" is supposed to be for 12 months and they are already raising my price $7.00 in just five months??

Verizon, what are you playing at? I agreed to service that you provide. I gave you the ability to auto bill me, so you aren't even waiting for money from me. No late payments, but I am "rewarded" with a $7.00 increase in billing for service that I am not even getting. I have had enough. This issue gets fixed today or I will no longer be a Verizon customer. I will also be posting this on Broadband Reports.com and lowering all of my ratings on Verizon FiOS, because of the unethical billing practices. Like I said, this isn't the first time, but it will be the last.

I had some specific instructions for the tech, and she went one better with it. We canceled the first install because of *our* schedule; the tech was finished in 6 hours on this appointment and was very conscientious, placing the battery backup in a great location.

FiOS seems to have it all over the DSL department.

I have to say the order to live was about 7 days, because they would have installed on the original date were it not for our change. I don't know if I would have had the same tech, but I am glad she did it.

Vonage didn't work right off, but it is understandable that the tech wouldn't be allowed to set that up. All I had to do was port forward and I was back on in less than four minutes with Vonage.

Super seamless!

7/13/07 - Still loving FiOS. If you are paying for DSL, especially 3.0/768... dump it for this. I have cancelled VZ phone service, and couldn't be happier with FiOS. Zip,Zoom,Fly!

9/29/07 - FiOS is still it. Now to do something about my VoIP, which is not making it at all. (The orange box people)

11/23/07 - I called FiOS and reported an outage. Not the first I experienced, but this was a bit longer. Called at 08:10 and had a truck show up at 09:20! In one hour and ten minutes I had a service tech. It took him another 20 minutes maybe to change the ONT, and all was well. Bravissimo, FiOS! I changed my tech support rating to a 5 because they deserve it.

07/21/08 - Nothing really new to report, unless no interruptions are new to you. If you read this while on cable - well, why did you?

09/16/08 - Still cruising along at light speed. No problems, just uptime. Get it.

Got FiOS? If you don't have it by now, you are silly.

6/22/09 - No problems still. Price has gone up so I may call and complain about that.

12/05/10 - Still the same rock solid FiOS as was on day one. If you are reading this better than three years later, why haven't you made up your mind yet?

7/27/14 - Should have updated this a while ago. The price kept creeping up for the same service, so I felt I wasn't getting very good value for the money. They upgraded us to the 50m/25m "Quantum" service. The speed is not consistent and is really only a "last mile" speed.

member for 12.1 years, 1905 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

ferdland

@73.39.23.x

Verizon fios

I enjoy having VZFios but when we moved, the area we live in dont have Verizon Fios, so we had to use Comcast who was the only provider in the area

tfrionli
Tom F.

join:2001-06-21
Kings Park, NY

1 recommendation

Re: Verizon fios

i'm interested in your comparison between fios and comcast service, can you post a review?
tfrionli

gsuburban

join:2000-02-29
Glendora, CA

Customer Service vs. Online Prices

Every time we have made a service change with Verizon or Fios, the router/gateway has aways beeen at no charge and no monthly charge however, the cost for ISP service is as most others have said, expensive and having the least amount of value per mega bit. We pay $87.99 monthly and got a price increase of $7.00 without any advance notice. Calling them resulted in removing the cost increase for a year to keep us satisfied after telling them "internet isn't getting more costly, it's getting cheaper to offer and more competitive". By the way,you can get the upload speeds changed the same day by visiting your Verizon account, logging in and signing up for some b.s. points/rewards gimmick they have. I did and instantly, my 50/35 mbps changed to 50/50 mbps and according to speedtest.net, the line speed is 58/65 mbps. Not bad but by now we all have it figured out...the "free upload speed change" isn't free, it's $7 more for those who read between the lines at Verizon. Also, Netflix works much better.

Below, this was a most recent post elsewhere regarding the inner working of Fios/Verizon:

Have had Fios for about 2.5 years now. Initially had 15/5 speeds and now have 50/50 mbps speeds. Previously and continuously since Verizon began to offer ISP services in 1998 or so, I have always had Verizon as my ISP. Since the days of dial up, DSL and now Fios, I have never switched to any other ISP so it's now been about 16 years that I have had continuous ISP service with them. That being said, I have no complaints about their internet network and the speeds I am to receive and up until about 2 years ago, received the same with their verizon.net POP/SMTP email. Over the years of increasing speed packages, internet and email speeds had always been the same reliable speed. When I had DSL 1.5, internet and email downloaded at 1.5 and when I had 3.0 and 7.1 speeds, email and internet speeds were equally the same speed. Then, Fios came and with 15.0/5.0 mbps, internet was actually 16.5 mbps down and 6.0 mbps upload as was their email service. I have used outlook express and windows live mail consistently and had the above performance which I have to say was wonderful because their email and internet performed at the "pipe" speed I had with them.

Now comes an outage, in September 2012, labor day weekend, both internet and email went down. I called and confirmed the outage was on their end and was told the internet will be restored that day and email would be restored the next day and the outage was the entire country, USA. Internet was restored about 6 hours later and the next day email was restored but...email would perform any faster than 200 mbps to 1.0 mbps. Since that time, their pop/smtp email system hasn't been the same and even to this day, they say, "email and internet speeds are not going to work the same as the other".

So, you pay extra for a faster speed package but they won't support the speed update with their email service. Why? No one can say but several of the customer service numb heads say "email is a bundled service and not supported in any way" while the majority of the CSR's suggest both should work the same speed and both are supported.

As of this day, Oct 11, 2014, I have 50/50 mbps Fios and their email will not perform at the rated line speeds. The fastest download speed is around 10 mbps while outgoing will leave at around 25 mbps. Not sure that's really what they are trying to sell their customers but that is what they are giving them. So, if you think you are going to use their email service and get blazing fast email also, you will be mistaken and of course, mislead that will happen.

I switched over to gmail using pop/smtp with windows live mail software and the speeds are 50 down and 50 up...most of the time. No problem with Gmail and get this, Gmail is free, has way better spam control and more consistent email but of course, if it fails to work etc., there's really no one to call and dictate to since there's no agreement or charge etc.

How Verizon can allow this to occur is beyond me. They have the ability to be better than any other freebie service out there yet don't and they charge for it.
fixrman
join:2003-02-10
Hatboro, PA
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

Re: Customer Service vs. Online Prices

FiOS is losing market share to cable all the time because their prices are out of line. Their business model, as I think I said before, is to overcharge their existing customer base, hope they don't notice and spam the hell out of everyone else and hope they too sign up. They are unethical in their billing practices.

The product for the most part is fine, but their constant price increases get them in trouble very time. We have the most expensive internet in the world if I remember correctly. Also, some of the slowest speeds for an industrialised world leader.

Verizon would do well to lower their prices, appeal to more people and then expand like they were paid to do by the Feds for their FiOS expansion. You won't see that happen though because they wasted all the money and tax incentives they got and have stopped building the fibre network. So they prefer to pay for TV, radio and magazine ad blitzes, bang their existing customer base to pay for it and laugh all the way to the bank. If they stopped sending out their B.S. flyers twice a week (Comcast too) and concentrated on giving a good product as advertised to customers at a fair price, everyone would be happier.

Verizon, get a clue. When someone who has been with you for many years complains, start listening. Stop outsourcing your support. Stop jerking people around when they complain about your onerous billing practices. Fix the issue and move on. If you do that, your reputation will be stellar - like in the old days with MA Bell - and the profits will still be there and probably even more so.
"from a broken heart to a hole in the sky"

Review by chazwr See Profile

• Location: Spring Lake,Monmouth,NJ
Good "high speed, competitive price, included extras"
Bad "Supplied (free) wireless router has confusing interface"
Overall "great value so far, let's see how billing goes"

Had a choice of FIOS or Optimum. FIOS features and price had the edge, and I was pleasantly surprised when the products delivered exceed what was promised: 1. package is 15/5 MB/s (tier 1 plan ) , I am seeing 20/5. 2. Ordered 1 hd and 1 sd tv box, received 2 HD at no extra charge. 3. Wireless hotspot access supposed to be for next tier, it came with my order.

Install was quick, and the tech, was knowledgeable, friendly and worked quickly.

The only hitch so far is I cannot get WPA2 or even WPA to work on the router.
***Update***
The GUI is just VERY poor, the WPA2 was, in fact, working, but the web interface does
very strange things. The main wireless settings page only reflects the state of WEP, and if you enable WAP2 it shows no encryption. Anyway, it seems to work.

Router is an Actiontec MI424WR

Update:
2 billing cycles and no problems. So far I am very pleased with the products and services.

Update:
No issues yet.

Update 2011-10-6: Still good.

Update 2015-2-1: Still no troubles. I have had to wrangle with pricing on television service once in a while. Finally wound up signing 2 year contract, but price is back to where it started, and some decent channels were added. Also, my internet service was automatically upgraded to 15/15 from 15/5. No extra charge. Sandy aside, no outages either.

member for 12.6 years, 3303 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by lijacobs See Profile

• Location: Lawrence,Nassau,NY
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "Excellent TV Quality, Inet speed higher than expected (43/35)"
Bad "none"
Overall "Beats CV, both price and quality"

1-30-2015

I recently received the automatic upgrade from 35/25 to 50/50. Naturally, I see no difference. Like most users, I never use anywhere near the bandwidth that I am allocated and certainly not the "Speedmatch" 50 Mbps upload speed which is just an advertising gimmick. My daughter's family has the 25/25 service at their home and, like me they never have had any problem streaming videos from any source. The vast majority of FiOS subscribers who upgrade to the higher speed tiers are, in my opinion wasting their money. I continue to be completely satisfied with the quality of my TV, internet and telephone service.

9-15-2013

I still have the same plan and I am still pleased with the quality of service. The on-screen caller ID and the remote access to the DVR are now both very reliable too. Video streaming from all sources including YouTube is excellent.

Double Flex up to 15/5, Extreme HD, MRDVR, HDSTB, QIP72xx,, QIP71xx

3 years negotiating with Verizon before turn up in our co-op - July, 2010

6-28-2011

I'm a Verizon retiree and recently took advantage of VZs new FiOS plan for employees and retirees. I now have Triple Play, Ultimate TV, 35/35 Internet and Freedom Essentials Phone. The service is generally very high quality and reliable except for the on-screen caller ID feature and remote access to my DVR which don't work work most of the time. The picture quality is far better than Cablevision, our previous provider. Internet speed is reliable and never slows down no matter what time of day. Cablevision's speed was variable and was especially slow in the evening hours.