Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1938 reviews (1455 good) (144 bad)

Review by fixrman See Profile

• Location: Hatboro,Montgomery,PA
Good "Speed, at times. Poor distant speeds."
Bad "Price increases!!"
Overall "Sneaky billing increases. Do not honor agreements. "

10 October 2014:
In May, I "upgraded" to Verizon Quantum; Verizon had been overbilling me for Internet services, so agreed to upgrade me to Quantum speeds at no charge, $65.99 for the next 12 months. In August, national TV advertisements announced a free upgrade to Speed Match. I have yet to get that upgrade.

Today I open my email to find that Verizon is trying to bill me $72.99 for the "service" This isn't the first time Verizon has engaged in sneaky billing, it is at least the fourth. When I originally signed up for FiOS in 2007, the charge was $39.99 a month. I have been a loyal Verizon internet customer since the early DSL days and have recommended Verizon DSL to may people who have signed up for the service, one even was a Verizon employee who didn't have it!

The prices for FiOS are now beyond ridiculous. With the $72.99 bill I just received, it is almost double the price in just six years. I can no longer tolerate this situation. Comcast can supply me with 105M service for $59.99 per month with no incentives to switch. They previously offered me $29.99 for 12 months and $39.99 for two years. I don't want to hear baloney about "shared connections" and "FiOS is better quality"; Verizon cannot deliver the speeds they promise. I have performed speed tests - real world speed tests, not the joke Verizon has for speed tests, if they even work - many times a day. My last mile speed is indeed fast, but that is only to New Jersey. In California, I go back to the slowest DSL speeds. Apparently Verizon's pathways or nodes are very poor cross country.

I just spent quite some time on a chat (Chat ID 10101487080) with a representative who claimed I could get the new, free router which would give me the faster Speed Match. Turns out that in order to get the "free router", I have to pay an additional $25.00 a month, plus pay for shipping of the new router and sign a two year deal. I don't have a problem with a two year deal, but two years is shorter for Verizon, I imagine. My current "deal" is supposed to be for 12 months and they are already raising my price $7.00 in just five months??

Verizon, what are you playing at? I agreed to service that you provide. I gave you the ability to auto bill me, so you aren't even waiting for money from me. No late payments, but I am "rewarded" with a $7.00 increase in billing for service that I am not even getting. I have had enough. This issue gets fixed today or I will no longer be a Verizon customer. I will also be posting this on Broadband Reports.com and lowering all of my ratings on Verizon FiOS, because of the unethical billing practices. Like I said, this isn't the first time, but it will be the last.

I had some specific instructions for the tech, and she went one better with it. We canceled the first install because of *our* schedule; the tech was finished in 6 hours on this appointment and was very conscientious, placing the battery backup in a great location.

FiOS seems to have it all over the DSL department.

I have to say the order to live was about 7 days, because they would have installed on the original date were it not for our change. I don't know if I would have had the same tech, but I am glad she did it.

Vonage didn't work right off, but it is understandable that the tech wouldn't be allowed to set that up. All I had to do was port forward and I was back on in less than four minutes with Vonage.

Super seamless!

7/13/07 - Still loving FiOS. If you are paying for DSL, especially 3.0/768... dump it for this. I have cancelled VZ phone service, and couldn't be happier with FiOS. Zip,Zoom,Fly!

9/29/07 - FiOS is still it. Now to do something about my VoIP, which is not making it at all. (The orange box people)

11/23/07 - I called FiOS and reported an outage. Not the first I experienced, but this was a bit longer. Called at 08:10 and had a truck show up at 09:20! In one hour and ten minutes I had a service tech. It took him another 20 minutes maybe to change the ONT, and all was well. Bravissimo, FiOS! I changed my tech support rating to a 5 because they deserve it.

07/21/08 - Nothing really new to report, unless no interruptions are new to you. If you read this while on cable - well, why did you?

09/16/08 - Still cruising along at light speed. No problems, just uptime. Get it.

Got FiOS? If you don't have it by now, you are silly.

6/22/09 - No problems still. Price has gone up so I may call and complain about that.

12/05/10 - Still the same rock solid FiOS as was on day one. If you are reading this better than three years later, why haven't you made up your mind yet?

7/27/14 - Should have updated this a while ago. The price kept creeping up for the same service, so I felt I wasn't getting very good value for the money. They upgraded us to the 50m/25m "Quantum" service. The speed is not consistent and is really only a "last mile" speed.

member for 11.7 years, 1737 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

ferdland

@73.39.23.x

Verizon fios

I enjoy having VZFios but when we moved, the area we live in dont have Verizon Fios, so we had to use Comcast who was the only provider in the area

tfrionli
Tom F.

join:2001-06-21
Kings Park, NY

1 recommendation

Re: Verizon fios

i'm interested in your comparison between fios and comcast service, can you post a review?
tfrionli

gsuburban

join:2000-02-29
Glendora, CA

Customer Service vs. Online Prices

Every time we have made a service change with Verizon or Fios, the router/gateway has aways beeen at no charge and no monthly charge however, the cost for ISP service is as most others have said, expensive and having the least amount of value per mega bit. We pay $87.99 monthly and got a price increase of $7.00 without any advance notice. Calling them resulted in removing the cost increase for a year to keep us satisfied after telling them "internet isn't getting more costly, it's getting cheaper to offer and more competitive". By the way,you can get the upload speeds changed the same day by visiting your Verizon account, logging in and signing up for some b.s. points/rewards gimmick they have. I did and instantly, my 50/35 mbps changed to 50/50 mbps and according to speedtest.net, the line speed is 58/65 mbps. Not bad but by now we all have it figured out...the "free upload speed change" isn't free, it's $7 more for those who read between the lines at Verizon. Also, Netflix works much better.

Below, this was a most recent post elsewhere regarding the inner working of Fios/Verizon:

Have had Fios for about 2.5 years now. Initially had 15/5 speeds and now have 50/50 mbps speeds. Previously and continuously since Verizon began to offer ISP services in 1998 or so, I have always had Verizon as my ISP. Since the days of dial up, DSL and now Fios, I have never switched to any other ISP so it's now been about 16 years that I have had continuous ISP service with them. That being said, I have no complaints about their internet network and the speeds I am to receive and up until about 2 years ago, received the same with their verizon.net POP/SMTP email. Over the years of increasing speed packages, internet and email speeds had always been the same reliable speed. When I had DSL 1.5, internet and email downloaded at 1.5 and when I had 3.0 and 7.1 speeds, email and internet speeds were equally the same speed. Then, Fios came and with 15.0/5.0 mbps, internet was actually 16.5 mbps down and 6.0 mbps upload as was their email service. I have used outlook express and windows live mail consistently and had the above performance which I have to say was wonderful because their email and internet performed at the "pipe" speed I had with them.

Now comes an outage, in September 2012, labor day weekend, both internet and email went down. I called and confirmed the outage was on their end and was told the internet will be restored that day and email would be restored the next day and the outage was the entire country, USA. Internet was restored about 6 hours later and the next day email was restored but...email would perform any faster than 200 mbps to 1.0 mbps. Since that time, their pop/smtp email system hasn't been the same and even to this day, they say, "email and internet speeds are not going to work the same as the other".

So, you pay extra for a faster speed package but they won't support the speed update with their email service. Why? No one can say but several of the customer service numb heads say "email is a bundled service and not supported in any way" while the majority of the CSR's suggest both should work the same speed and both are supported.

As of this day, Oct 11, 2014, I have 50/50 mbps Fios and their email will not perform at the rated line speeds. The fastest download speed is around 10 mbps while outgoing will leave at around 25 mbps. Not sure that's really what they are trying to sell their customers but that is what they are giving them. So, if you think you are going to use their email service and get blazing fast email also, you will be mistaken and of course, mislead that will happen.

I switched over to gmail using pop/smtp with windows live mail software and the speeds are 50 down and 50 up...most of the time. No problem with Gmail and get this, Gmail is free, has way better spam control and more consistent email but of course, if it fails to work etc., there's really no one to call and dictate to since there's no agreement or charge etc.

How Verizon can allow this to occur is beyond me. They have the ability to be better than any other freebie service out there yet don't and they charge for it.

1 recommendation

Re: Customer Service vs. Online Prices

FiOS is losing market share to cable all the time because their prices are out of line. Their business model, as I think I said before, is to overcharge their existing customer base, hope they don't notice and spam the hell out of everyone else and hope they too sign up. They are unethical in their billing practices.

The product for the most part is fine, but their constant price increases get them in trouble very time. We have the most expensive internet in the world if I remember correctly. Also, some of the slowest speeds for an industrialised world leader.

Verizon would do well to lower their prices, appeal to more people and then expand like they were paid to do by the Feds for their FiOS expansion. You won't see that happen though because they wasted all the money and tax incentives they got and have stopped building the fibre network. So they prefer to pay for TV, radio and magazine ad blitzes, bang their existing customer base to pay for it and laugh all the way to the bank. If they stopped sending out their B.S. flyers twice a week (Comcast too) and concentrated on giving a good product as advertised to customers at a fair price, everyone would be happier.

Verizon, get a clue. When someone who has been with you for many years complains, start listening. Stop outsourcing your support. Stop jerking people around when they complain about your onerous billing practices. Fix the issue and move on. If you do that, your reputation will be stellar - like in the old days with MA Bell - and the profits will still be there and probably even more so.

Review by Laszlo See Profile

• Location: Morrisville,Bucks,PA
Good "Speedy and reliable internet"
Bad "Exorbitant pricing, terrible experience with billing when we had TV"
Overall "Great at just internet, bad with TV bundles, price gets higher and higher"

·Cox HSI
We signed up for FiOS back in September 2006 as soon as it became available in our area. Our original speed was 5/2 for $34.95/mo. We had no issues at all with our service when getting simple internet access.

Several years later we added TV to our plan and had no end of trouble. Verizon seemed incapable of properly billing us, making mistakes on our bill for 6 out of 7 months! It was a horrendous experience calling up customer service monthly to clear up issues. The CSRs would always assure us our complaints would be resolved (and that credit for their mistakes would be issued on our next statement), but when the next bill arrived, it almost always repeated the same billing overcharge _and_ did not refund us as promised. When things were finally resolved, we cut the cord on TV entirely (and never again had a billing issue).

TV was also expensive, at $37 for 15/5 internet, $48 for TV Essentials, $6/mo rental for each STB, and ~$5 tax and Video Franchise Fee (plus around $20/mo from their myriad billing screw-ups and overcharges). From July 2010 until December 2013, our pricing remained at $54.99/mo for 15/5 internet. From January 2014, they jacked the price up 15% to $62.99 with no bump in service. If anything, our streaming at YouTube and Netflix has been degraded lately (all other sites seem unaffected). No doubt Verizon is trying to extract protection money to access their customers, like Comcast managed to do recently.

In 2013 we had to ask for a replacement router because ours was dropping signal. A replacement (an Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. F) was mailed out without issue. However, we would still intermittently have issues with the signal not reaching to all bedrooms, or slowdowns that required a router restart. We eventually bought our own (an Asus RT-N66U) and those problems largely disappeared.

From September 2014, Verizon graciously decided to bump everyone's upload to match their download. However, as current customers we're grandfathered in at 15/15 while new sign-ups are offered 25/25 for the same price. Despite multiple notifications of the activated free upgrade (website/email/direct mail/phone), we've NEVER seen our upload budge. Even during a free 1-month "Quantum 50/50" trial, we never cracked 5mbps, despite our DL speed switching just fine. With this blatant misrepresentation, along with the previous billing screw-ups, I may have to take this up with the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board.

Now in October 2014 our bill has been raised yet again to $69.99/mo. That's 100% more than when we initially signed up, and a 27% jump in just the last 10 months! I channelled some cold rage in my call with the retentions department after that one. The best he could offer was a $5 off "Valued Customer" discount for 12 months, or $10 off with renewed 2-yr agreement (in reality, +$2 or -$3, given their most recent price increase). I see just how valuable a customer I am for being loyal to Verizon for 8 straight years--this is the first time a CSR has ever offered to "discount" our bill when we asked. They know overcongested Comcast is our only alternative, so feel free to milk us more year after year.

____________

Timeline of complaints I submitted to the FCC and BBB regarding the billing debacle:

Nov - Made a call on 11/30/2009 to cancel the Games + Starz Play Pak trial (before the promotion deadline).

Dec - Charged $16 for Games + Starz Play Pak (this amount was never refunded). Tried unsuccessfully to cancel HBO trial online but changes would not save, so called in to cancel both HBO and Starz on Dec 2.

Jan - Charged $3.66 for HBO trial we'd also cancelled in time, $16 again for Games despite their previous assurance it would be removed (refunded only $12.67 of it in Feb), AND $8.99 for a Security/Backup plan that we'd never signed up for or been in a trial period for.

Jan 24 - Called to cancel them, again.

Feb - HBO cancellation again not honored, with $22.59 in new charges. The "Internet Additional Services" from Jan refunded (erroneously called "Adj FiOS TV Equipment").

Feb 12 - CSR told us HBO would be credited on next bill and canceled.

Mar - Refunded $25.65 of HBO charges

Apr - Billed $37 TWICE for FiOS internet service, the second time as an "Internet Additional Service", even though we are enrolled in the Verizon Flex internet/TV bundle.

Apr 9 - Spoke with a CSR who acknowledged the error on April's bill and filed for a refund of $39.22 on May's bill. Asked to drop TV bundle back to just internet service. Told there would be a $179 early termination fee, but after consulting with a supervisor, said it would be waived. She said the fee would most likely not show up at all, but would review our bill to verify that or refund the fee if charged. At this point appears resolved after 2 hours 46 minutes spent on the phone with Verizon Customer service, and several hours more trying to decipher obfuscated & error-riddled bills.

____________

And, if you hadn't guessed, the $179 ETF _did_ show up on our next bill, though that was quickly resolved by calling back the senior supervisor.

To top it all off, when we had to return the set-top boxes, Verizon only sent us one return shipping box (we had 2 STBs). We gave the other one away on Craigslist rather than deal with Verizon customer service for one more minute. Needless to say, we have stayed far away from TV bundles ever since.

Comments:
fixrman

Verizon nightmares

Your experience rivals mine. I came very close to dumping Verizon yesterday. I have been with them for 14 years and I am tired of them jerking me around. Their price has nearly doubled in 7 years for internet only. Now I am glad to see that bundling only makes it worse, giving them two or three more ways to bill abusively.

Maybe if VZ lowered their prices, they'd attract more customers and not have to stick it to their existing customers. I do not feel valued, especially when in a chat, very early on, the agent promptly offered the link to cancellation. What? You don't care?

The next time they try a rate increase I won't even call to waste another hour plus on the phone, I will just have Comcast come out and make the switch, then VZ can start the butt kissing to get me back if they so desire. If they hadn't reversed the new charge and agreed to send me an updated modem at no charge, no rental - they'd have lost my business for at least two years and it would have taken a lot to get me to go back.

Why does it always require a threat to leave to get action?

gsuburban

join:2000-02-29
Glendora, CA

Re: Verizon nightmares

That's how the monopoly system works. They were outlawed in the 1980's but that didn't last long and now, with Fios, guess what? The PUC (public utilities commission) rules and regulations are not the same with Fiber as compared to Copper. That's one reason why Fios is being pushed so hard and also why it's overpriced or unregulated. As much as I love Fios speed, it's extremely over priced as is their TV and Telephone. No bundle equals less headaches but it's more expensive in the long run. Shouldn't be that way, it should be less when subscribing to less services. Get this, if I want to change my speed package to the next slower speeds they offer, it's the same price !

Re: Verizon nightmares

I wish I could argue with you and tell you that you are wrong, but I can't. You are 100% right. Lower speed is the same price? I think I'd be bugging the FCC on that one.

Review by fbruno See Profile

• Location: Berwyn,Chester,PA
Good "It works as advertised."
Bad "Was quoted a lower price but charged higher rate. Billing support is terrible."
Overall "Better and more reliable than Comcast. Works during extended power outages."

·VOIPO
-----------------------Update 10/5/14---------------------------------------
Still using FiOS for Internet connectivity. Currently getting 25/15 service for $40 as part of a double play bundle including video. Scheduled for a free bump up to symmetrical 25/25. Service has been rock solid with no perceived bandwidth limitations during peek times. During electrical power outages, my large UPS device, whole house generator, and fiber to the home topology means that we never loose service. My neighbors with generators and Comcast can't expect such uninterrupted service.

My 24 month price guarantee is due to expire next month and I am not under contract, thus a price increase is on the horizon. I hesitate to enter into a contract with Verizon because it goes against my better judgement to give them the upper hand. Verizon just added a $3.48 regional sports fee and regularly sneaks in stealth price increases by shifting channels to higher tiers. Plus, I resent paying $11.99 to rent their STB.

One option is to drop video service because our family increasingly streams Netflix and Amazon Prime on a Roku device. Naturally, dropping video service will result in an increased monthly price for data only service.

-------------------------Update 11/3/08 -------------------------------------
Relocated to suburban Philly. Continued to use FiOS. Not as fast or stable here as it was in suburban NY. Got charged almost double the quoted rate during sales call. That rep seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. Thus, I feel cheated. Link is slow during peak times and there is some jitter of VoIP at times even with QOS on a Cisco 1800 platform, (with and without the Actiontec)

------------------------- Original comments -------------------------------

I decided to get FiOS with the primary purpose of getting rid of Cablevision Optimum Online. A secondary objective was to provide a reliable circuit for VoIP, especially during a power outage, (I have a huge UPS with extra batteries that can power the ONT for 36 hours).

The online ordering was easy. The installer showed up on the correct day at the correct time - not a hitch in the process. He spent about two hours completing the install using the 1" plywood board I installed in the electrical closet. He was happy about that!

Since then the circuit has been rock solid and fast. I believe it is set for 10/2, and I am getting just about that throughput.

I ditched the Actiontec for a Cisco 1811, and changed from the coax port to the Ethernet port on the ONT.

So far. I am a happy camper.

member for 14.6 years, 2936 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by real_goose See Profile

• Location: Apollo Beach,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Sucks less than alternatives"
Bad "Painful install - abysmal billing - poor support"
Overall "FiOS works but I dread dealing with anyone from Verizon"

·callwithus
3/31/12 Original Review

New house had option of Brighthouse or FIOS. FIOS had a better reputation and so far it's working out. I'm glad I studied the FAQ here, but I was still not prepared to understand all the install issues I would encounter. Billing and tech support have both been underwhelming.

I wanted the installer to install the ONT at the house NIB, but he said he could not install the power in the laundry room or the attic overhead. Even though he told me it wouldn't work, I insisted he run Cat5 for Internet from the ONT. The network interface location where the coax and Cat5 come out would mean Verizon would have to put the battery unit on a kitchen wall.

The ONT is on my separate garage and then both coax and Cat5 runs are direct buries underground to the network interface on my house. The cable run is about 100 feet from the ONT to the splitter in the wiring closet and then more than 150 feet back to the TV in the room over that garage. All wiring is a home run back to the structured wiring enclosure in the MBR closet.

I have been unable to reliably watch local HD channels via FIOS QAM on the TV over the garage. The channels are there, but the signal level is too low for most of them to stay locked in. The SD signals found on totally random channel numbers are solid.

I tried a chat with Verizon support which was an exercise in frustration. The first tech denied that FIOS provided signals over QAM. He sent me to sales who sent me back to a second support tech who told me Verizon will not take trouble reports for QAM signals and would not support QAM in any way.

My next trip down, I will take advice I got in a forum.that I can run my own coax to the ONT and split it there.. The run from the house to garage loft is very close to the ONT and I can use the existing coax or at least fish new coax along the same path.

My other alternative for the over the garage TV is to live without the Verizon feed and just use over the air HD. I'm less than 10 miles from the local towers in Riverview and can receive everything with trivial antennas. I will lose 1 SD station I want that is broadcast far north of us but carried on Verizon.

The installer had never installed a cablecard and was afraid of the TiVo. I had already set up the TiVo for my zip code and downloaded the preliminary data. I walked through the menus until he found the cablecard number he needed to enter. The whole process was much easier than my Comcast experience.

The other attractive thing about FIOS is we are not living full time in Florida so we can suspend and reactivate the account for no fees in Florida. They tell me I have to pay for a minimum 3 months every year. My account has been shutdown, but they didn't manage to suspend billing. After I got a bill I called and was promised it would be corrected, but so far it has not. The total time on the call was about 1 hour because the CSR had to get management approval for every step since it was over $50.

12/9/12 Update

FiOS is fine but I find Verizon very difficult to work with for billing or support. I lowered my tech support rating after a very bad experience.

Internet is still fine but I don't use Verizon DNS.

Weak TV in loft over the garage is now fixed after multi-day process to get a support call. I moved the FiOS box out there and could not get several channels. It took more than 5 calls over 2 days to get someone scheduled. Each call took more than 1 hour and always involved more than 2 transfers. Support is even more painful than was the install. The tech installed an amplifier that turned out to be defective and led to another comedy of errors and false claims about what must be wrong with my wiring. A different amplifier worked and now I get all the channels.

I wanted a second cable card for another TiVo, but I balked at paying for shipping. The sales agent told me I could drive to a Verizon store, but he told me the closest was south of Sarasota. Later I talked to a FiOS sales rep in the local mall in Brandon and he told me there was a Verizon store in the strip center across the street. I went in and got my new CableCard within 30 minutes after they entered my order and had to wait for it to 'take' in the system.

I called to get billing corrected and got almost no where. The first time I got about half the overcharges refunded, but I was informed the rep who told me there was no charge for the suspend was wrong. It cost about $20 to suspend and nothing to restart. Each call was very long as the person on the other end puzzled over the billing details. I was promised a manager would contact me within a day, but that never happened.

Finally in desperation I was ready to file a complaint with the BBB, but my wife convinced me to just forget about it. The amount is small so the effort is probably not worth it, but I remain irritated.

The other thing I notice that seems to make customer service hard for me is that I not have a Verizon phone number of any sort either cell or wired. Even though I had my account number they insisted on looking up my account via phone number and then told me they had to use other means to 'find' me. Yes I have a registered phone number with them, but they can't seem to use it unless it is a Verizon number.

10/4/2014

I just accepted my first 2 year contract for FiOS, previously I had been month to month. I seriously considered switching to Bright House, but ultimately I decided to stay. My plan was to switch to a 6 month low ball plan from BH and then be able to go back to FiOS as a new user. With BH each TiVo would need a tuning adapter and most channels are copy protected unlike FiOS.

As I compared prices, it became obvious that neither duopoly alternative is competing on price. I would prefer to be paying a fair price for Internet only, but both price it so some sort of TV needs to be added to the bundle.

member for 13.6 years, 2541 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

chechi

@173.63.163.x

verizon bundle

When I received my first bill from verizon, I noticed that they were other fees that they never mentioned before when I was asking for prices and information. I had been paying over 230 dol since I got the service. It's been 2 months already. On the top they are charging me for 4 tv services instead of 3 that I always have. I wish I could change the service I'm really upset. .

Review by asalamon See Profile

• Location: Bethesda,Montgomery,MD
Good "Great Sales Rep"
Bad "Bad Service - Resulting from poor install"
Overall "Run away... "

Had service for 90 days. Had SNR issues on primary STB. VZ wanted to charge a fee for truck roll if problem was not their fault. Hard to believe it could have been anything else but their problem as we recently moved in. As of yesterday Xfinity X1 is in and works great!!!

Comments:

Review by somebodeez See Profile

• Location: here
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "100% Fiber Optic Connection, wonderful speeds, No monthly caps"
Bad "Keep an eye out on your billing"
Overall "Haven't looked back since switching from Comcast"

The very moment I was aware that the service was available in my area, I ditched Comcast and switched to Fios. That was 2006 and so far to this day (September 2014) I've been very happy

Comments:

Review by RJW1678 See Profile

• Location: Wilmington,New Castle,DE
Good "Ordered a double play with Digital Voice Unlimited and FIOS Quantum Internet 50/25."
Bad "Found out that the copper telephone wiring in the house was a real mess."
Overall "Everything is working. It is very fast."

Ordered 50/25 and it is running at 58/37 so I am getting everything that I am paying for. The tech said my old phone wiring in the house is shorted somewhere. I have one phone jack now working correctly - so I have switched to cordless phones. The install went real good,took about 2.5 hours - 57/37 is real fast. The ONT is a Motorola 1000GT4 - Router is an Actiontec MI424WR Rev I - Motorola BBU with 12V 8AH Battery.

Comments:

Review by buckingham See Profile

• Location: Buckingham,Bucks,PA
Good "Outstanding performance for both Internet and TV. Phone is the same as it's always been. Reliable."
Bad "Limited Free VOD without subscribing to movie package"
Overall "Outstanding"

installation in late August 2010 was outstanding and on time. No billing errors to-date. 35/35 Internet performance is as expected. Phone is reliable as expected. TV service is outstanding for PQ and the latest firmware release adds a lot of good stuff to the boxes. My only disappointment is the limited free VOD available without subscribing to a movie package, especially with the top level *Ultimate" service package.

UPDATE: Upgraded to 75/35 when the contract renewed and still very pleased. Effectively getting 83/38. TV remains excellent in quality.

UPDATE 9/2014: Upgraded to 75.75 automagically and effectively get 83/92. I occasionally have some routing/network issues, likely caused by peering "out there". TV remains excellent quality; in fact, it seems crisper since moving to the VMS/IPC. Quantum boxes. Current package is Preferred TV - 75/75 Internet - FiOS Digital Voice

Comments:

Review by chakey See Profile

• Location: Gladstone,Somerset,NJ
Good "Fast and reliable internet, phone, wireless and TV!"
Bad "Billing is hilariously bad"
Overall "If you are willing to spend hours fixing billing, you'll have a top notch service!"

This review is reverse-chronological. Go to the bottom for install and the top for the latest.

9/17/14 - We dropped TV in 2012 and have been only internet and phone since then. We miss cable only when there are live events, but a friend is letting us use their user and password to stream TV online (sports, New Years, etc). Works out well. We were getting a very good rate for internet and phone alone (about $60/mo) for a two year contract, set to expire this December. Speeds are now a symmetrical 75/75. In July, I received a notification that we were receiving an "ineligible bundle" and they jacked up our prices to $120/mo. I called in and escalated until I found someone willing to take $60 off our bill/mo until our original contract expires. Another example of how their product is top notch, but the billing is hilariously bad. We will shop around in December, because I don't feel like paying double for the same service.

1/12/11 - After experiencing some issues with one of our DVR boxes, they came out and gave us a new one without much issue. Since we watch most of our content on Netflix now, I called to see how much my triple play would be reduced if I dropped TV all together. The rep said we would save $34 a month. I said that was great and to go ahead and cancel the TV. He told me to hold for a minute and came back with an offer to reduce our bill by $30/mo for a year as a "Customer Appreciation Credit". I could not argue with that! Internet and phone remain rock solid.

3/31/10 - Nothing much to report! The service and billing have been completely stable since the last update. What a pleasure to not have to spend an hour on the phone each month fixing something with billing! Internet is stable at 26/22. I ordered an HD movie on demand the other night, and although horribly overpriced (IMO) at $5.99++, it streamed through with no hiccups or problems. Hopefully it will not incur some phantom charge on my bill...

7/2/09 - Upgraded Internet Speed

More as a result of the Docsis3.0 invasion into Fios territory than a few of us wailing about being "limited" to 20/5, Verizon now has new, higher internet speed tiers. For $10 more/month (from 99.99 to 109.99) I now have 25/15 and Showtime and a couple of other movie channels. I've done a speed test several times since upgrading and it is consistently coming in at 26/22, much more than the advertised 25/15. I absolutely LOVE the new upload speed, it has revolutionized several aspects of my daily life on the computer!

I have not received the bill yet, so fingers are crossed....

5/9/09 - Unable to upgrade my internet service

When I first signed up for the service, nearly 2 years ago now, I signed up for the 20/5 internet service with TV. When I added phone to my plan in October of 2007, I upgraded my internet to the 20/20 service and still had it as part of my triple play. It cost about $10/month more to have 20/20 vs 20/5. When I rebundled to a new Triple Play package in 2008, the 20/20 went back to 20/5. It is completely impossible to have a triple play of 20/20, Phone and TV. In order to get 20/20 at this point, I would have to cancel my triple play, incur an early termination fee for each service of $179, bundle JUST the phone and TV and pay for 20/20 a la carte. Instead of being a $10/mo upgrade, it would DOUBLE my bill. I have escalated this issue all the way to the office of the president of Verizon, and no one will allow me to bundle 20/20. It was apparently decided by "Marketing" sometime in 2008, that 20/20 does not need to be a bundled service. I just can't believe that I am WILLING to give a company more $$ per month for something (within reason) and they will not take it.

On the positive side, billing has been great--only once in the past year was there an errant charge. I called it in and it was fixed for the next bill. The services continue to be 100% rock solid. I have BBR monitoring my IP and my internet has never once been down.

4/11/08 - Well, it was nice while it lasted

I had a wonderful 2 whole months where my bill was correct. I got a bill this month that was all messed up. For some reason, unknown to anyone, I got bumped off the two year contract and into a month to month contract, which negates all bundle discounts. My bill was over by $100 this month. I suppose 2 months out of 8 with a correct bill is a 25% success rate--better than 0%. I was beginning to enjoy the extra 2 hours each month I got back when I did not have to call Verizon. Oh well. Back to the drawing board. I lowered Tech Support to a 3, because billing is not an option. I have never had to call Tech Support because all my services are rock solid. It's just the billing that so incredibly bad, it is becoming comical.

2/16/08 - HOLY CRAP, I HAVE A CORRECT BILL

Although I did not in a million years expect it, I just received a bill which combines all my services (voice, internet, cell and TV) into one lovely price. They got it right, folks. It took since August of 2007, but they got it right. I do not need to block off an hour or two to call customer service this week. I can change my avatar tagline from "Awaiting Correct Vzn bill since Aug 07" to "VZN GOT MY BILL RIGHT!"

WOOOO!

Can you believe I'm really happy about getting a bill for over $200? I can't believe it either. It feels as if I just gave birth. Oh, the euphoria....

1/18/08 - BILLING/GUIDE 2.0 UPDATE:

I finally received a bill which combines all my Verizon services (Phone, Internet, TV, Wireless) into one bill. However, because of the "non-payment" fracas last month, there was a $199 "early termination" charge as well as a $29.97 "activation" fee when they turned the internet back on. Other than almost passing out when I opened a bill for $605, and the extra charges, things seem to be in order finally. I called the billing department, was put on hold for 25 minutes and disconnected. I called back and the second CSR took care of everything. I was able to go online and create an account. I paid my bill with no issues

The FiOS TV 2.0 Guide arrived yesterday. I honestly think that it is a bit faster than 1.0 and certainly more pleasant to look at. The main hang is when you call up the Guide the first time. That takes about 4 seconds and gets you to press the button three times wondering why it is not reacting. Once the guide is up, it is faster. I still long for the day we get "page up/down" buttons on the remote. All my DVR recordings were intact and organized in a better way.

1/8/08 - BILLING UPDATE:

Well, all the stories about Verizon's billing department(s) are true. It has been 6 months since install and I have yet to receive one correct bill. In fact, I have not been able to pay my bill for the past two months because they are billing my services to the wrong phone number. After several phone calls and hours on hold bouncing around to 15 different departments, nothing was resolved. My issue was "escalated". My internet service was turned off for a day and after another round of phone calls, was restored. I still have not received a bill and I cannot see or pay anything on my online bill. I suppose someday they'll figure it out. I am just growing weary of calling them about the same problem and having no resolution. Every time they try to fix something with the bill they are unable to help because another department deals with this. They play "pass the customer" and I sit in awe that this great company cannot do anything on the back end without a running into itself.

Still, it's a great service--internet has never been down (except that one day for "non-payment") and the TV is great. We added a landline a while back to take advantage of the bundle discount. I think that's what started this mess. Their system can handle someone adding services to an existing landline, but not the other way around.

Bottom line--the service and price are still worth the billing aggravation. Just realize it will take you a while to straighten out the bill. The CSR's are accommodating, you just have to be persistent.

11/2/07 UPDATE:

I upgraded to the 20/20 internet service and added a landline yesterday. Everything is still BLAZING fast and rock steady. The HDTV channel line-up could use some work, but they promise to have 150 stations by the end of '08. Let's see if they do it!

Background and price:

We were lucky enough to move into an area that has FiOS internet and TV service available. We signed up for the 20/5 internet and Fios TV Premier level with a DVR box and a regular set top box. The total cost per month is supposed to be $97. There is a one time $19.99 activation fee. There are no taxes on the plan since it is considered "data services." Their phone service is only $7/mo, but when you add all the taxes that come with a landline, you end up closer to $30. We hooked up our Sunrocket Voip to the Verizon router and all is well and it works well. (Since Sunrocket is down, we've switched to ViaTalk which works just as well).

Presale info:

As soon as I heard that we could get Fios in our new residence, I called Verizon. Their pre-sale info was right on with what the website said. The rep was very helpful and took time to explain everything. I scheduled the install for 6/25/07.

Install:

Verizon called twice before the install to confirm that we would be present and have a power outlet near the ONT. The installer came at 10:15 during an 8-11 window. He brought the fiber line in from the street first. Then, he very professionally installed the ONT and UPS in the basement and wired the rest of the house for TV and internet. The Verizon wireless router provided is excellent and covers the whole house with an encrypted signal. It took him 6 hours.

Impressions (so far):

The download and upload on the internet tests at 20.6/4.6. The connection is lightning with no wobbles in service so far. The TV service is excellent. Crystal clear picture with a fantastic DVR menu.

Bottom Line:

Get it if you can! If you can't--call and bug them!!!

Comments:

Review by amarryat See Profile

• Location: Marshfield,Plymouth,MA
Good "Internet reliability & stability, HD TV"
Bad "Expensive, and still climbing"
Overall "awesome"

35/35 internet totally consistent.

4 years with one outage for several hours. Reliability is fantastic.

Steadily getting more expensive. Was $180/month, now I'm paying $210/month

Update 9/2014 - even more money, but this is what I got:
1). Higher speed - 50/50
2). Quantum - one central DVR with more capacity than the combined two DVRs from before, and client boxes that are smaller than the original set top boxes.
3). At some point along the way, they updated my router for free to the "N" wifi version. However it's still nowhere near as nice as 3rd party routers you can buy on your own such as the ASUS and Netgear flagships. Therefore I'm still using my own router to do wifi at home.
4). My ONT in the basement had to be replaced because it got fried somehow. What is strange is that they moved the battery from the fried ONT into the new ONT, and this is the original battery from 2008??? I thought they only lasted a few years.

So I'm happy with the upgrades.

member for 9.5 years, 2945 visits, last login: a few hours ago