Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1928 reviews (1455 good) (140 bad)

Review by bsangs See Profile

• Location: Montclair,Essex,NJ
Good "Internet speeds, reliability, picture quality, DVR, programming/channel lineup, on-line support"
Bad "Phone support still hit or miss"
Overall "Great internet service, TV side has improved significantly since I joined"

UPDATED 7/22/14

The DLSReports bot is bugging me for a review update, so here goes.

Recently upgraded to the Quantum Premium service - 12 tuners utilizing two DVRs and two client boxes. Upgrade was smooth and while the Quantum system is still in its infancy, I've been very pleased with it. The increased tuners, the increased storage space has been great. No more recording conflicts. Lost a free DVR for Life credit, but FiOS reps helped make up for that in other ways.

FiOS offers every channel I watch regularly in HD. I know there are some channels others still want, but I'm good. The HD picture is still the best around, as is FiOS's reliability for both TV and internet.

Price for Triple Play Ultimate is $149.99 and that gives me every available channel. The Quantum Premium service is $64 - $32 each for the equipment and the Quantum service itself. Don't judge, I like to watch TV. Tried Tivo for a month with FiOS and the Quantum DVR system is a much better experience. Mainly because it just works, whereas TiVO was very unreliable.

Use the Verizon Direct forum here at DSLReports or the forums at Verizon's website if you need technical support. Much better than calling into Dante's Uncredited 8th Circle of Hell known as Verizon phone support.

I imagine the only reason I'd leave FiOS is if I moved to an area that didn't offer it. Between Comcast, RCN and Directv - the other providers I've had throughout the years - FiOS is easily the best overall experience.

UPDATED 12/8/13

Still have a FiOS Triple Play Package - Ultimate, 50/35, DV. Have a free DVR for life (would normally cost $19.99 per month), a second DVR ($16.99) and three HD STBs ($6.99 each).

The best part about FiOS remains its internet and reliability. Unfortunately, it's fallen so far behind other service providers in hardware technology, that if I weren't receiving a free DVR for life I would probably dump the television service altogether.

FiOS also remains behind the pack for sports programming. Some basic sports channels carried in HD on nearly every other provider remain in SD on FiOS - and some of those channels aren't even available unless you subscribe to the highest programming package. (Not important to the non-sports fan, I understand.)

I'll update my review of the TV side of FiOS if/when they ever deliver a DVR with more than two tuners. I'll never leave FiOS internet though. Nothing compares to it in my area.

UPDATED 1/26/13

OK, the DSL Reports system manager wants me to update my original review. Here goes.

-- Still have FiOS, even though I've sampled DirecTV during the last year as well. The best thing about FiOS remains its reliability. It is rock solid. Even during Hurricane Sandy, when we lost power, the FiOS never went out, until the backup battery died.
-- The DVR's have been greatly improved since I originally joined in 2010. Faster, better looking, larger HDs, ability to connect an external drive. The interface - now 1.9.1 is much better than the old 1.8 interface.
-- TV picture remains pristine and although FiOS doesn't offer some HD channels that people clamor for, it carries every one I enjoy watching, save for CBS SportsNetwork.
-- Also upgraded internet speed to 50/35, although it measures more like 60/40 at most times, which is great.
-- Multi Room DVR service works great, although what can be annoying are audio/video dropouts when watching a program from a different DVR. It is quickly remedied by rewinding the program, but still, it's bothersome. (Doesn't happen all the time though, which is weird.)
-- Recent software update to DVRs has improved the interface speed. For a while there were some issues, but all appears to have been fixed (knock wood).
-- Only wish there would be more HD offerings for sports subscriptions. Still limited when compared to DirecTV, which is the only reason I'm leaning toward going back to DirecTV when baseball season starts.
-- Also in our area, the Ultimate package includes every premium channel - HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Showtime, TMC, Epix - which is a steal if you're into those channels.
-- My monthly price includes three DVRs - one free for life - and a free SD STB, also included free for life with the package I originally received. DVRs run $19.99 per month for the main MRDVR and $16.99 for regular DVRs. (HD STBs - non-DVR - are $6.99.)

member for 12 years, 1322 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Noni

@bhn.net

Horrible Tech Support and Customer Support

I ordered fios on 12/5/13 and first available install date was 12/14/13 between 8-10am. Tech showed up and said he was not going to install what I asked for since it was not worth the money. He went outside and called and upgraded me to a higher price package. He had some lady talk to me on the phone and she told me the price and I said no it was too much. The tech snatched the phone away and hung up on the lady. He went outside and was talking on the phone to someone else. Verizon called me on my phone and was offering me a different package when the tech came inside and told me to hang up the phone. I asked why he said all they are gonna do is confuse me. I said I am not going to hang up. He got in his truck and left. Now I can't get a tech out here. This has been an 11 hour nightmare. Thank goodness I did not cancel Brighthouse. Verizon Fios is horrible!!!

Re: Horrible Tech Support and Customer Support

Noni, that is completely ridiculous. I hope by now you have entered a complaint through the proper Verizon channels. What you experienced was a technician upgrading your package essentially without your approval in order to obtain a COMMISSION. You got a very bad apple there, unfortunately. The majority of their technicians do good work. Keyword: majority.
bsangs

join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

Re: Horrible Tech Support and Customer Support

Italian is right Noni. The Verizon techs are by far the best I've ever dealt with. What happened to you is not only ridiculous, but far from the norm.

Review by patt2k See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Upload higher then download "
Bad "Constant billing issues"
Overall "Dumped TWC long time ago"

I switched from Time Warner Cable I had the 50/5 plan for 59$
the very next day when Time Warner sent me a letter , well not just me that they will be charging 3.95 modem rental fee I saw that Fios was at my adress so I few hours later ordered it!

Let's Compare:

TWC : 50/5 (59.99$)
Fios : 50/25 + TV , 79.99 (without taxes)

July 21st 2014

_______________________________________________

Yesterday took the free upgrade from 75/35 to 75/75 well in my case it jacked my price by 10$ working with Verizon Direct they sent request to Elite Billing team giving them chance for now to fix it before making complaint with BBB, will give them about a week max.

75/35 jumped to 83/92
83 down as always
upload 92 from 38 mbps.

Price went up from 74.99$ (free upgrade was jacked -- as of 7/21/2014 ->> JUMPED to 84.99$

_____________________________________________________
Since may 26 I am now in Brooklyn.

Had a outlet charge when it clearly said free had to go to Verizon forums and get that sorted out.

I am still on 75/35 , + Prime HD but not STB but cablecard rental.
After they fixed my bill it's about 93-94$ after taxes/fees.

July 16 2013
_________________________________________________
Got my fios 100$ gift card which is 2nd one. For re-bundling when moved and a contract. Time Warner guys were walking around my block just 2 days ago and trying to convince me and some other people to join TWC , well that didn't work.

Sept6 2013
______________________________

Had a tech yesterday to fix up low signal with the TV-Service it turned out my splitter and cables were crap.
My bill did go up because somehow there is more taxes in Brooklyn rather when I lived in Queens I basically had small amount of tax..

Promised rate is 84.99 + taxes so I pay 15$ just in taxes and fees.
Before adding STB : 100.11
After : I would expect about 107$
I still have cable card and stb now.

After contract ends will be cutting the cord unless Verizon does something about those fees.

November 17 2013
____________________

3 Days ago I downgraded to Select HD because I barely watch tv..
My price was 79.99 , I was actually arguing with Verizon that my bill shows 79.99 but they were charging me 84.99.
I downgraded to Select HD + kept 75/35 and price was supposed to be 74.99 , but it's 69.99 it now shows that I have extra discount til November 2014.

I will also be dropping cable card so that is -5 buck because as I said lately I barely watch TV.

Oct05 2013
______________

A kind of weird surprise but can't complain.
My price for 75/35 + Prime HD was 84.99
if I changed it to any other package for same packages I would pay 89.99
so my base price changed from 84.99 to 79.99 why? I have no idea?

I'm I happy? yes Thank you Verizon! for giving me such an amazing deal.
so on my next bill it will be 79.99 for double play 75/35+Prime HD.

Comments:

Review by kmcheng See Profile

• Location: Maspeth,Queens,NY
Good "blasting down and up speed, intergrated phone feature as digital voice"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "good value for the money"

moved to a nearby place in early Sept, has fios service available. saw a verizon fios sales tent on a sidewalk one day, went there to ask, and the sales guy Peter helped me to sign up with a very good price. well, I have been using verizon online DSL for a few years until I moved, so I guess this has credit also
I have the double play internet and phone for $59.99 month without contract, plus tax is still less than $70, not bad. Add fios TV would cost more than $50, not going to do that. The internet plan is 50/25

have to delay the installation because of renovation, but finally got it done in early Nov. well, before that, they messed up the installation date, so they gave me $10 off for 12 month.

7/21/14
joined the My Reward+, got the symmetrical speed upgrade
»Verizon Makes All FiOS Tiers Symmetrical
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3639538052

12/1/13
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3137090129

update 11/27/13
changed the router to asus rt-ac68u, now the speed is back to as if I am only using the router from verizon, almost 60/40

11/7/13
Anyway, there is already a fios drop nearby, so the tech just connect the drop to my house, and install the ONT. The yellow wire within the black cover is indeed thin, just like a thin electric wire. I bet the actual fiber inside is even thinner

something interesting on the speed. the plan is up to 50/25, but the actual speed is nearly 60/40, unbelievable! Only that, when I make the MI424WR router to bridge mode and use my own WRT54GL router, the speed dropped to around 42/38. I have to OC the router from 200 mhz to 250 (using ddwrt) to get around 55mb download. Well, I guess it does take CPU power for the much higher bandwidth, given I just found out that the MI424WR actually has a dual core 64 bit processor... I am planning to get the asus rt-ac68u router for this, waiting for black friday to hopefully get it for a cheaper price

the phone is good, with digital voicemail service. the my fios app for android is useful also

the overall fios experience is good so far the only "down side" is, the account no is not my phone number anymore, and I can't "recycle" my previous DSL account username

Comments:

Review by mna See Profile

• Location: Reston,Fairfax,VA
Good "Reliable, No connection issues"
Overall "Good value"

25Mbps download/15Mbps upload

DLink 624 Router

member for 12.5 years, 1787 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by xrobertcmx See Profile

• Location: Sterling,Loudoun,VA
Good "Excellent Speed"
Bad "Equipment"
Overall "Worth the Money"

Update 7-July-2014

Given that our only other option at this point is Comcast we have stuck it out with Verizon. There have been very few outages, but we have had to get a tech out three times to replace the box out back. They really do not like doing that. Speeds initially started at about 15/5 moved to 25/25, then 30/30, and now 50/25. We see slightly faster then advertised speeds on average.

The bill has remained largely flat but that is due to getting rid of the cable boxes more then anything else.

I hear a lot about Netflix issues and I can't speak to that as I don't use Netflix for streaming. I can say that Amazon Prime, Hulu, ABC.com, CBS.com, and Crackle all work perfectly. My Plex Server feeds out video when I am on the road without pauses, buffers, or other issues. So no issues.

Overall I have no real complaints except the inevitable price creep.

Update 9-July-2010:

The wonderful thing about FIOS is that it works. For most of the past year the service has been flawless. We have amazingly consistent speed that are faster than my office connection (Comcast Business which drops every other day requiring the modem to be rebooted) and consistently hits 2.1Mb/s on download.

We use our Roku player nightly to watch TV shows from Netflix and the picture is wonderful.

What else is there to say, it is cheaper than the competion, faster than the competion, and if you get the TV service it looks better to.

#######################

While it wasn't hard to actually order FIOS, it took several attempts to actually get it installed. First the installers failed to show up, and no one called. Then we had bad weather, then they wanted to wait an additional month before coming back out.

Once installed the first several months did not go well. The service dropped at least once a day. After repeated calls to tech support, who did not want to help unless I called while my service was down (not really possible), an FCC complaint finally resolved the issue. It turned out I had a bad box on the back of my house, and the connection to the box was overly tight which broke the cable (Or so the tech claimed).

With that fixed we have not had any further issues, or outages. We get the full 20/5 as advertised. The included Actiontec 802.11g router didn't have the power to reach my third floor (Small townhouse), so I have turned off the wireless in it, and gone with a Linksys WRT160N with DHCP disabled and simply used as a bridge. It works.

Netflix streams at 3Mbps, looks great. Hulu works really well, even on their version of HD. And we have now ordered the FIOS Television service. Which was actually even more difficult to get installed.

Comments:

gregkillick

@159.118.91.x

contract lie

I was a 4 year customer all 3 items bundled service was great all 4 years
But when we renewed we had 2 years before retiring we were told that if we moved to another State
that did not have Verizion we WOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY THE EARLY TERMINATION FEE IF THE STATE WE MOVED TO DID NOT HAVE VERIZION BUT GUESS WHAT HAPPEN YOU GUYS DID NOT KEEP YOUR
PROMISE ,AFTER MANY CALLS YOU GUYS PLAYED HARD BALL SO NOW I'M RETIRED I GO ON EVERY REVIEW SITE AND BLAST WHAT YOU DID . JUST TO WARN THE PUBLIC HOW YOU HANDEL CUSTOMER SERVICE
xrobertcmx
join:2001-06-18
Sterling, VA

Re: contract lie

Did you file an FCC Complaint? It takes about 5 minutes and generally works.
I voted for Snoopy!

Review by penske1 See Profile

• Location: Mohegan Lake,Westchester,NY
Good "Fast for everything except Netflix"
Bad "Terrible Netflix performance, duplicate account/double billing issue, bogus "administrative charges""
Overall "Fios service is good, Verizon business practices are bad"

Got the triple play:

50/25 Internet
Select HD TV
Digital Voice Unlimited

Service has been good and internet is fast, but Netflix performance is "mysteriously" bad. Terrible unwatchable quality between 3pm and midnight. I wish I had known about this issue before I signed up, as the local competing cable company utilizes Netflix Open Connect and provides superior video quality.

TV video quality is decent. The HD DVR has a nice modern interface and good customization options, but only records 2 programs at a time. As a previous user of U-Verse and Dish Network, I didn't realize anyone still made 2-tuner DVRs. Recently a new DVR has been made available (at extra cost) that has additional tuners.

Voice was basically a freebie because of the bundle. Voice quality is good. I like that it uses my existing phone wiring and phones. No IP phones are required. Verizon recently added an "FDV Administrative Charge" of $1/month to everyone's voice bill. This is not a tax, rather it goes directly to Verizon as profit. In my opinion, this is an extremely shady way of increasing the price of service despite customers having a 2-year price "guarantee."

I wish I had known about the Netflix fiasco and the shady billing business practices before I signed up. Also, learning that Verizon is opposed to net neutrality is very disappointing.

I do not feel good about financially supporting this company and plan to switch when my contract is up. I hope there are no more additional "administrative charges" until then...

member for 11.8 years, 559 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Trapped Cust

@verizon.net

Verizon Fios

The average cost is not 89/month for bundle that is the fish and bait costs. Once you are a customer they creep the price up every signing and it is impossible to even get 25% close to the sign up cost. It is a monopoly price hike to the max. There is alot of hype in the advertisement and this company continuously gets away with misrepresentation in marketing......
NYC Girl
join:2007-02-04
Bronx, NY

Re: Verizon Fios

YES, they do sneak in charges and do a bait and switch on pricing once you get the confirmation email for your order. How do they get away with this. And if you switch to optimum pricing is the same as optimum charges for stuff verizon doesn't which makes up for the lower price points in optimum.
norm

join:2012-10-18
Pittsburgh, PA

30-Day money back guarantee

My suggestion to you would be to take advantage of the 30-day money back guarantee that you _should_ have before it's too late.

Edit: Sorry, I was going by the update date. I just noticed the dates of the other two comments.

DVR

There are 6 tuner DVR's coming in the next few months.

Any "pixelating" during "intense" motion is not the FiOS service, I have never experienced such a thing on any of my 3 HDTV's. Go into your settings and switch to 1080i / 720p and see if that helps.

Review by shayes See Profile

• Location: Owings Mills,Baltimore,MD
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "Bunch of Crooks"

**Update**

This is a real claim!! They claimed that they changed the coax cable on the side of my building and charged it to me. $175 worth of service. I know have the executive number from you guys I will call and have it fixed. I have been calling, emailing, and chatting with CSRs and they all were not able to help. I have been calling ever since I paid the last months bill. So basically that was a month before it was due. So yes i have been calling and trying to contact someone about getting the charge off my bill.

They are a bunch of crooks. They are charging me for service that they claim was done to my cable. I explain to them that the tech never came to my house, never serviced my cable, and I never signed for anything. They stated that because it is in their notes, that the charges are valid. No one can tell me what the notes say. They claimed they called the tech and he stated that he came out to my house and serviced my cable but when i mention that I did not sign anything and that he has nothing with my signature on it, they keep repeating that the charges are valid and they ignore me when i say that I did not sign off on him coming or doing any service. No matter who i speak, the chat line, email, or the phone, they all have the worst customer service. Especially on the phone, it sounds like they pick up bums from the corner and have them be CSRs. They are not professional and not courteous. I am cancelling my cable as soon as my contract ends. They are not professional and they are they are crooks. No evidence of service and no proof provided by the customer that they were there and they still charge you. Never again will i ever use them. I also will never recommened them to anyone. I will always speak badly of them to anyone who asks me or if i hear someone speaking of Verizon.

Comments:
political_i

join:2013-11-12

VZ Direct Forum

May I suggest using the Direct Forum and seeing about getting in contact with someone here?

Re: VZ Direct Forum

Just a troll, unfortunately BBR does not monitor or moderate the reviews.

All it takes is one phone call to Executive Customer Relations 212-395-1060 and it will be taken care of, but as we all know this is a socket puppet for another provider

Re: VZ Direct Forum

yup

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

What charges for what service?

Since you are not very specific, it's difficult to determine the truth of your claim. There is no service change where a technician makes a change on premises without a contact being there. If a change in service involves adding TV channels or speed tier to existing service, then there is ordinarily no visit, it is done remotely.

If you are disputing a Pay-per-view or a TV change, you may be able to get a reduction on the former, and can cancel the latter, although you may have problems going back to an old service level that is no longer supported.

If you claim that a service change was made by someone, but not by you, you can dispute that as an unauthorized service change. If a service change was authorized by you, but you got confused by the rep, you can dispute that. You have 30 days to cancel such a change easily, and it can still be disputed after that, but the longer you wait, the harder it is to get the dispute resolved in your favor.

If you are feeling stuck in a 24 month contract, you can cancel service at any time and the worst you will have to deal with is the ETF, which is cheaper than paying 24 months of service you don't want. And you can dispute the ETF if you can justify an improper service change.

But since you are not specific, there's not much to say except to call Executive Resolutions as suggested above. You won't get it fixed by complaining here. Sorry. You're stuck until you make the call.
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

direct

direct forum reps are same ones who deal on twitter I didn't get my reward points 2 months ago never got it they said they can't do nothing.

Review by bobbyinpa See Profile

• Location: Hershey,Dauphin,PA
Good "Rock solid FIOS service with no interruptions"
Bad "Wish I could say wireless is just as good as their service is tied into my bill too"
Overall "Watch out for all the added fees to understand your total bill and make sure they continue any discounts you receive."

6-27-2014

FIOS has remained a solid performer and I am still impressed with the reliability of the TV, internet, and home phone portion. I would drop the home phone but I have a fax which is used weekly, so it stays for now until cheaper internet faxing shows up. Wireless has improved and I do have all Verizon services on a "one bill" or quad play again. My original battery for the FIOS entry inside my home is still functioning, although about every 2-3 months it will intermittently alarm that it needs replaced. I have no complaints with FIOS service, wish the wireless was just as reliable too.

Comments:
bobbyinpa

Update 6-24-12

Still rock solid, note that thunderstorms no longer cause a total loss of internet connection or TV media. With Comcast, I lost everything with every thunderstorm. Went total digital with landline and saved about 20.00 a month. I cannot tell you how satisfied I am with Verizon. I did not go for a speed increase as 35/35 is very fast for me. I hope you can get FIOS, it is worth the effort.

Update October 6, 2012

I have now entered the quad play. I have a smartphone with unlimited data plan, 1400 minutes, unlimited text and pics, and two other cell lines. I have the ultimate Fios TV plan with Showtime and Movie Channel plus Epix, one HD DVR box, one HD box, and three regular mini boxes. My internet speed is 75-35. Lastly, we have digital phone service since it is now cheaper than regular pots.

No issues and all is smooth. I did find adjusting your options online can be a frustrating challenge as the pricing can jump more than you can expect. I may have to wait for a representative, but find talking with Verizon is the easiest. I have to give Kudos to Verizon for always making an attempt to keep my bill manageable and as low as possible.

I am very satisfied and will continue. One interesting note, when I had Comcast I lost TV with every single thunderstorm. Verizon just keeps working and the only loss of service is when we lost our power too.
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

Re: Update October 6, 2012

said by bobbyinpa:

I also have Verizon Wireless do you get any discount for linking it to one bill?
Lakeland, FL

NOT FIOS, this is a wireless review

What does this review have to do with FIOS???? All your post is about Verizon Wireless!!

RedCaliSS
join:2004-08-21
Murrieta, CA

said by guppy_fish:

I'm thinking the same thing... scratching my head trying to figure out if he's reviewing Verizon wireless or Verizon FIOS
neither or both?

Re: NOT FIOS, this is a wireless review

I have the quad play and my bill includes all Verizon services. I mention Verizon has been reliable but they lack integrity. Give me a break.

Re: NOT FIOS, this is a wireless review

How about you make a Verizon WIRELESS review .. this has nothing to do with FIOS

Re: NOT FIOS, this is a wireless review

Was just told my Quad play account is being returned back to the original billing and all changes made by the wireless reps have been reversed. I am blown away that Verizon made a 180 and made a customer happy. I will probably drop the quad play and stick with a triple play for FIOS and a wireless bill on the side as they do not offer discounts when you tie them together on the quad play billing.

Review by tnsprin See Profile

• Location: Bradenton,Manatee,FL
Good "Excellent speed and reliablity, Great Video quality"
Bad "current PEERING disputes may make some streaming sites slow, No Imap Mail option"
Overall "Recommended"

FIOS TV Ultimate, and all movie packages (HBO, Movie Completer)
FDV Unlimited phone (US, Canada, Porto Rico, US Virgin Islands)
Internet 50/25
Actiontec Wireless N router
ARRIS VMS (6 tuner) and IPC (no tuner satellite)

I find the TV service excellent. I currently Have the Ultimate package which has enough extras included that I recommend it. Lots of people keep gripping as their favorite channels is switched around in the lower priced packages. I find their free VOD programming to include lots of programs, but have never used the PAID VOD.

I have consistenly fast internet service. I do no some others having constanc problem with NETFLIX and other service, but I have rarely seen such delays.

I have had no problem with the FDV phone service. Phone call quality is excellent.

member for 11.1 years, 1399 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by zerco See Profile

• Location: The Colony,Denton,TX
Good "It works most of the time"
Bad "They nickel and dime you to death"
Overall "Over priced Over hyped Technology"

·VOIPO
I got Internet 50/25 and TV (Extreme). Where I just killed is with all these STB charges. 4 HD STBs for 4 rooms.

In about 1 year I've had two outages. They had to replace the ONT, the other time they had a hardware issue at the hub. Both times I was down for about 2 days.

Unless you need a great upload speed and very few do, there is no real benefit to FIOS internet. For me there is no discernible difference between FIOS and my old cable company and I am a power user. I work from home a lot, use VOIP, and my kids stream like crazy.

Fiber sounds great but it has been less reliable and my speeds/pings are the same as compared to cable...so who cares?

join:2012-06-11

1 recommendation

162$/mo?!! Holy smokes! Highway robbery!

Wow that price tag is just shocking !

I actually think the product itself is excellent and I wish we had FTTH with
AT&T...but Verizon are a bunch of greedy crooks, I'd say they rank right up there with Concrap for outrageously high prices.