Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1931 reviews (1456 good) (142 bad)

Review by destroyah See Profile

• Location: Norwalk,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Steady 84/40 speeds using the Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. I"
Bad "Occasional peering issues cause random slowdowns and packet loss, especially to Netflix and Youtube."
Overall "Still a good overall price, though it feels that we are paying for the east coasts low prices."

Ordered: December 23, 2007

Installed: January 07, 2008

Running at proper speeds on: January 09, 2008

Other than the hurtles that I went through in the beginning with the Actiontec's poor firmware, it has been an excellent internet only service. I ended up getting one of the Motorola B-PON ONT's, though I wish it was one of the newer G-PON models.

Consistently get 14.5-14.8 on the download, and 14.5-17.1 on the upload, and that's with my D-Link DIR-655 with Beta 39 firmware connected through ethernet.

Will update once the 20/20 upgrade goes through.

Here's to hoping it will survive the 100+ degree with high humidity summer temps here in California.

A special mention here for James, one of the Fiber Network Field technicians, who helped with the four hour install along with his work crew of three. They did a clean, efficient install. After installing a modular ethernet jack that wasn't properly pumping out 15 mb/s, as it should be, he then came by a day or two later and replaced it. It's been working properly since that day.

Edit: Called on Monday, the 23rd of June, to inquire about the free upgrade to 20/20. Billing was very knowledgeable about the upgrade, and a order was put in for the upgrade. I was told it would take effect on the following day at 4:00PM. Lo and behold, on the following day at around 1:00PM, downloads increased to 19.3-19.6 mb/s. Upload was down to about 8 mb/s, so I rebooted the router. That didn't fix the problem, so a couple of power cycles of the ONT later, and my full speed became a reality.

I'm very happy with the upgrade, and latency seems to have gone down as a bonus.

Edit: October 15, 2008 - So far reliability has been ok, though I'm going to dock some points off, since every once in a while the upload is being throttled for some reason (ie. 23.6-23.8 goes down to about 10 mb/s. No clue why this is happening, but a total shutdown and restart of the ONT fixes this, after two or three tries. It may be the terrible heat we have in California right now. ;P

Edit: January 07, 2009 - I'm docking 1 more point from reliability, since I had to reset the ONT a couple of times for the last week of December since my upload was dropping down to my previous DSL levels. Since I'm not the only one using the connection (there are a couple of PC's in my household), this hampers my own experience on my PC. I just hope VZ stops sending adjustments to the ONT, since I'm almost 100 % positive that is the reason for the occasional problems, since both phone and internet run well the rest of the time.

Value for the money was dropped down 1 point for the above mentioned trouble.

Edit: August 03, 2014 - An update is in order for the amount of time that has passed since my last update. Speed upgrades that have gone by include a jump to 25/25 speeds, then down to 25/15, and then to 50/25 since Quantum tiers have been available. This past year, around November, my ONTs trusty BBU finally failed after almost 6 years of service. VZ was able to dispatch someone within 72 hours, and they installed a current model, along with a new battery, and everything has been running fine and dandy with the same Motorola 1000-m BPON ONT.

Since my two year contract was in the process of expiring in July, around June the 16th, I decided to check if VZ could throw me a bone, and give me any renewal offers around the same price point. I ended up jumping up to 75/35 for only about 5 more bucks plus taxes. With the current push by VZ to upgrade all tiers to symmetrical speeds, I shall update my review when I hopefully get the free upgrade in the next couple of weeks to 75/75.

member for 9.5 years, 3375 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Acct101 See Profile

• Location: Bensalem,Bucks,PA
Bad "Never showed up to install Fios and never called"

·T-Mobile US
Verizon was supposed to be here between 8 and 11 am. Never showed. I called at 12:30 and they said they ran into a problem and wanted me to reschedule.

Thanks for being pro-active and calling in the morning, Instead I had to sit around and wait for nothing.

member for 3 years, 501 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by gower2352 See Profile

• Location: Laurel,Prince Georges,MD
Good "SuperFast, Easy to Make Changes, Billing Seems Good Thus Far"
Bad "Nothing at moment "
Overall "Sign up online if your home is already wired and you'll get a great deal!"

Order the ultimate package. Ordered online and got some really great credits for the 24 months period. Also ordered all the movies channels I could have. Install was super easy since my apartment was already pre-wired. Got the new Quantum TV service.

Comments:

Review by rasmusjc See Profile

• Location: Southlake,Tarrant,TX

I have the Verizon FIOS Triple Play Bundle with Quantum 75/35 speeds. Not much to tell other than service has been great.

Comments:

Review by xaebz56K See Profile

• Location: Englewood,Sarasota,FL
Good "Excellent speeds and very reliable."
Bad "None."
Overall "Best ISP I have ever had."

·Everest Communic..
The router supplied is their latest and best, an ActionTec Router. All equipment is new, I have the bundle which includes TV, they also supplied their best HDTV cable box, a new one.

I've had absolutely no problems at all with Verizon. I also added on 2 more TVs with just their very basic cable box, just tunes all Verizon TV channels, no menu. These work exceptionally well too. When setting them up I had problems with them being recognized, the Verizon rep. was exceptionally friendly and helpful.

The price of $80 is for Internet and Prime TV, and does not include the 3 TV boxes. I was surprised every single thing they supplied was brand new and the best they offer. I've also been surprised at how helpful and friendly their reps. have been.

The service is extremely reliable.

Comments:

Review by br0adbanddoc See Profile

• Location: Norristown,Montgomery,PA
Good "It's stable and quick."
Bad "Streaming Netflix is garbage unless I turn on my work VPN."
Overall "If you use Netflix for your primary source of video entertainment, forget about Fios."

Overall the Fios install went pretty well except that Verizon guaranteed that they would provide us with a battery for the system's battery backup and the tech forgot to install the battery. This generated another service call where I had to be home for a different tech to show up, verify that we definitely didn't have a battery and then install the battery. The original installer tech also cut down some old drops that another Verizon Fios tech had left laying across other various cable/telephone drops in our back yard.

With regard to the service, normal web browsing, Youtube streaming and gaming work well. However, if you use Netflix as either a way to augment your normal TV service or as your primary source of TV service, forget about Fios. It is absolutely awful. I have resorted into using a VPN connection on my laptop in order to allow anything better than an unreliable SD picture from Netflix.

If you don't use Netflix, get it. If you do use Netflix, get Comcast.

Comments:

Review by fiosultimate See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX

Stable speed,almost all the TV channels, issue free phone service

Comments:

Review by trissypissy See Profile

• Location: Tampa,Hillsborough,FL
Good "symmetric speeds"
Bad "expensive"
Overall "some day maybe we'll have ambient connectivity. lets build a mesh network to fuck the telcoms."

i got in a chat room and asked them to provision me for ethernet rather than coax, and they did, and it's nice being able to now just plug whatever I want (in this case a ddwrt router) so long as it has ... the right MAC address I believe then it seems to get a DHCP lease just fine.

i really wish they'd give us ipv6 already.

Comments:

Review by bsangs See Profile

• Location: Montclair,Essex,NJ
Good "Internet speeds, reliability, picture quality, DVR, programming/channel lineup, on-line support"
Bad "Phone support still hit or miss"
Overall "Great internet service, TV side has improved significantly since I joined"

UPDATED 7/22/14

The DLSReports bot is bugging me for a review update, so here goes.

Recently upgraded to the Quantum Premium service - 12 tuners utilizing two DVRs and two client boxes. Upgrade was smooth and while the Quantum system is still in its infancy, I've been very pleased with it. The increased tuners, the increased storage space has been great. No more recording conflicts. Lost a free DVR for Life credit, but FiOS reps helped make up for that in other ways.

FiOS offers every channel I watch regularly in HD. I know there are some channels others still want, but I'm good. The HD picture is still the best around, as is FiOS's reliability for both TV and internet.

Price for Triple Play Ultimate is $149.99 and that gives me every available channel. The Quantum Premium service is $64 - $32 each for the equipment and the Quantum service itself. Don't judge, I like to watch TV. Tried Tivo for a month with FiOS and the Quantum DVR system is a much better experience. Mainly because it just works, whereas TiVO was very unreliable.

Use the Verizon Direct forum here at DSLReports or the forums at Verizon's website if you need technical support. Much better than calling into Dante's Uncredited 8th Circle of Hell known as Verizon phone support.

I imagine the only reason I'd leave FiOS is if I moved to an area that didn't offer it. Between Comcast, RCN and Directv - the other providers I've had throughout the years - FiOS is easily the best overall experience.

UPDATED 12/8/13

Still have a FiOS Triple Play Package - Ultimate, 50/35, DV. Have a free DVR for life (would normally cost $19.99 per month), a second DVR ($16.99) and three HD STBs ($6.99 each).

The best part about FiOS remains its internet and reliability. Unfortunately, it's fallen so far behind other service providers in hardware technology, that if I weren't receiving a free DVR for life I would probably dump the television service altogether.

FiOS also remains behind the pack for sports programming. Some basic sports channels carried in HD on nearly every other provider remain in SD on FiOS - and some of those channels aren't even available unless you subscribe to the highest programming package. (Not important to the non-sports fan, I understand.)

I'll update my review of the TV side of FiOS if/when they ever deliver a DVR with more than two tuners. I'll never leave FiOS internet though. Nothing compares to it in my area.

UPDATED 1/26/13

OK, the DSL Reports system manager wants me to update my original review. Here goes.

-- Still have FiOS, even though I've sampled DirecTV during the last year as well. The best thing about FiOS remains its reliability. It is rock solid. Even during Hurricane Sandy, when we lost power, the FiOS never went out, until the backup battery died.
-- The DVR's have been greatly improved since I originally joined in 2010. Faster, better looking, larger HDs, ability to connect an external drive. The interface - now 1.9.1 is much better than the old 1.8 interface.
-- TV picture remains pristine and although FiOS doesn't offer some HD channels that people clamor for, it carries every one I enjoy watching, save for CBS SportsNetwork.
-- Also upgraded internet speed to 50/35, although it measures more like 60/40 at most times, which is great.
-- Multi Room DVR service works great, although what can be annoying are audio/video dropouts when watching a program from a different DVR. It is quickly remedied by rewinding the program, but still, it's bothersome. (Doesn't happen all the time though, which is weird.)
-- Recent software update to DVRs has improved the interface speed. For a while there were some issues, but all appears to have been fixed (knock wood).
-- Only wish there would be more HD offerings for sports subscriptions. Still limited when compared to DirecTV, which is the only reason I'm leaning toward going back to DirecTV when baseball season starts.
-- Also in our area, the Ultimate package includes every premium channel - HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Showtime, TMC, Epix - which is a steal if you're into those channels.
-- My monthly price includes three DVRs - one free for life - and a free SD STB, also included free for life with the package I originally received. DVRs run $19.99 per month for the main MRDVR and $16.99 for regular DVRs. (HD STBs - non-DVR - are $6.99.)

member for 12.1 years, 1390 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Noni

@bhn.net

Horrible Tech Support and Customer Support

I ordered fios on 12/5/13 and first available install date was 12/14/13 between 8-10am. Tech showed up and said he was not going to install what I asked for since it was not worth the money. He went outside and called and upgraded me to a higher price package. He had some lady talk to me on the phone and she told me the price and I said no it was too much. The tech snatched the phone away and hung up on the lady. He went outside and was talking on the phone to someone else. Verizon called me on my phone and was offering me a different package when the tech came inside and told me to hang up the phone. I asked why he said all they are gonna do is confuse me. I said I am not going to hang up. He got in his truck and left. Now I can't get a tech out here. This has been an 11 hour nightmare. Thank goodness I did not cancel Brighthouse. Verizon Fios is horrible!!!

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

Re: Horrible Tech Support and Customer Support

Noni, that is completely ridiculous. I hope by now you have entered a complaint through the proper Verizon channels. What you experienced was a technician upgrading your package essentially without your approval in order to obtain a COMMISSION. You got a very bad apple there, unfortunately. The majority of their technicians do good work. Keyword: majority.
bsangs

join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

Re: Horrible Tech Support and Customer Support

Italian is right Noni. The Verizon techs are by far the best I've ever dealt with. What happened to you is not only ridiculous, but far from the norm.

Review by patt2k See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Upload higher then download "
Bad "Constant billing issues"
Overall "Dumped TWC long time ago"

I switched from Time Warner Cable I had the 50/5 plan for 59$
the very next day when Time Warner sent me a letter , well not just me that they will be charging 3.95 modem rental fee I saw that Fios was at my adress so I few hours later ordered it!

Let's Compare:

TWC : 50/5 (59.99$)
Fios : 50/25 + TV , 79.99 (without taxes)

July 21st 2014

_______________________________________________

Yesterday took the free upgrade from 75/35 to 75/75 well in my case it jacked my price by 10$ working with Verizon Direct they sent request to Elite Billing team giving them chance for now to fix it before making complaint with BBB, will give them about a week max.

75/35 jumped to 83/92
83 down as always
upload 92 from 38 mbps.

Price went up from 74.99$ (free upgrade was jacked -- as of 7/21/2014 ->> JUMPED to 84.99$

_____________________________________________________
Since may 26 I am now in Brooklyn.

Had a outlet charge when it clearly said free had to go to Verizon forums and get that sorted out.

I am still on 75/35 , + Prime HD but not STB but cablecard rental.
After they fixed my bill it's about 93-94$ after taxes/fees.

July 16 2013
_________________________________________________
Got my fios 100$ gift card which is 2nd one. For re-bundling when moved and a contract. Time Warner guys were walking around my block just 2 days ago and trying to convince me and some other people to join TWC , well that didn't work.

Sept6 2013
______________________________

Had a tech yesterday to fix up low signal with the TV-Service it turned out my splitter and cables were crap.
My bill did go up because somehow there is more taxes in Brooklyn rather when I lived in Queens I basically had small amount of tax..

Promised rate is 84.99 + taxes so I pay 15$ just in taxes and fees.
Before adding STB : 100.11
After : I would expect about 107$
I still have cable card and stb now.

After contract ends will be cutting the cord unless Verizon does something about those fees.

November 17 2013
____________________

3 Days ago I downgraded to Select HD because I barely watch tv..
My price was 79.99 , I was actually arguing with Verizon that my bill shows 79.99 but they were charging me 84.99.
I downgraded to Select HD + kept 75/35 and price was supposed to be 74.99 , but it's 69.99 it now shows that I have extra discount til November 2014.

I will also be dropping cable card so that is -5 buck because as I said lately I barely watch TV.

Oct05 2013
______________

A kind of weird surprise but can't complain.
My price for 75/35 + Prime HD was 84.99
if I changed it to any other package for same packages I would pay 89.99
so my base price changed from 84.99 to 79.99 why? I have no idea?

I'm I happy? yes Thank you Verizon! for giving me such an amazing deal.
so on my next bill it will be 79.99 for double play 75/35+Prime HD.