Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1918 reviews (1452 good) (138 bad)

Review by GeekNJ See Profile

• Location: Waldwick,Bergen,NJ
Good "Fast and low latency"
Bad "Install was less then stellar"
Overall "Updated 11/2007 - Still fast and reliable"

·Optimum Online
Placed my order online on 10/29/05. Got an email confirmation on Monday 10/31. Selected install date of 11/9. Sunday before install 2 folks came and ran the fiber from the pole to my house. Weds comes and the tech shows up on time. Needs to replace the overhead wire the prev techs ran over the weekend because they used underground wiring and not overhead wiring. Gets the ONT installed and cuts over my phones before heading to lunch. After lunch he finishes the install and I check my speeds - 4mb down - no where near the 15mb speed. Techs think it's my computer, which it isn't. We swap routers, cables, etc. 2nd tech shows up and we use his computer - 4mb down still. We reboot the ONT, PON and Controller (I'm the only one on it they say). No luck. Set me to 30/5 - my upload increases but download still the same. Techs leave for the day.

Over the next week, nothing much happens other then one tech swaps out the ONT and tests the speed and it's still poor. I'm on with the Fiber Solution Center in Virginia each day making sure they are working on it. Always start out with "Are you sure it's not your computer..." and I cut them off. I tell them where there's packet loss, etc but it doesn't register. I was getting about 8% packet loss to my first hop after the Verizon supplied router.

I finally get a good rep that understands and becomes my advocate, along with a Verizon employee from this site. It took a couple more days but he got the right people involved and listening to what I was telling them. Even though they had already swapped my ONT, they came out again and did it a 2nd time. Absolutely no difference - a waste of Verizon's time and resources. They finally started paying attention to my info and though I've been told there were 20 people on a conf call the final day, some were still questioning if it was a customer issue. Silly wabbits! After a week, they determined the likely cause within the CO and scheduled an overnight outage to resolve it. I woke up the next morning and speeds were pushing 15mb.

Since the issue was resolved, things seem fine. I don't really need email or web hosting as I pay for my own domain and hosting. Newsgroups aren't really important to me.

I didn't have any issues on Optimum Online where my connection was stable and speeds were fine, but I felt it was worthwhile to switch to become familiar with the technology (probably got more of a lesson then most) as well as do what I can to make sure each company feels pressure from customers to keep things as competitive as possible.

I'll update as time goes on or as service changes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 9/24/06 - Service has been relatively flawless. I've bumped up the connection reliability to a 5. Still on PPPoE though they supposedly are looking to convert to all DHCP. Had a phone issue last week where we had no service. Had to call two times and took a day but they resolved it on their end. Something to do with a switching error. I'm leaving texh support as a 4 rating due to multiple calls needed on our part to resolve a Verizon issue. Verizon's mail has had some issues but I don't use it and only know because of posts here which I then check to see if I'm also impacted.

Service was upgraded to 20/5 and all seems fine, usually getting that speed consistently throughout the day. I'm not impacted by routing issues like some others in the northeast with routing going through Texas for more local requests.

Update 11/12/2007 - Have had FIOS Internet service for 2 years now and ongoing service has been extremely solid. No outages that I recall.

Phone service (POTS) remains solid and reliable. Much more reliable then my copper was. It would go out whenever they did work on the pole outside my house.

TV service has also been solid though HD content is lagging behind Cablevision at this moment. Announcements from Verizon indicate 2008 should bring more HD.

Update 4/26/14 - Switched back to Optimum saving $90/mo for same services with CV.

member for 13.8 years, 6882 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dalenchm0b See Profile

• Location: Staten Island,Richmond,NY
Good "It's fast. Wow, it's really fast!"
Bad "It's damn expensive. I'm lucky to have locked in 150/65 when it was first offered."
Overall "FiOS is great, but I just wish there was more competition to drive prices down."

Updated 4/24/14:

I upgraded to 150/65 after the monthly discounts I got ended, since the price difference between 25/25 and 150/65 was very little in comparison to the speed increase. The speed is out of this world! My download speed is so fast, I just delete games off my computer periodically and reloaded them from Steam when I'm feeling nostalgic, since it only takes a few minutes to download just about any game. I still don't have TV or phone through Verizon, but with OOMA for voice and an antenna + Netflix for TV + Movies, I'm covered.

The one thing I don't like about FiOS is that Verizon continues to raise the price for the service since there is no upper end competition. Hopefully with TWC upgrading their top tier speed to 300/20 in my area, Verizon will bump up the speed (plausible) or lower the price (highly unlikely).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------

FiOS was available for years in my county, and my neighborhood was wired up for at least two years before my building would get it. So, the delay was the franchise agreement that had to be drawn up between the building and Verizon. Long story short, the building was wired up during the summer of 2011 and service was activated in late January. As soon as the fliers appeared, I counted down the days that I would be rid of DSL and would jump on the sweet FiOS speedwagon.

Since I was already a Verizon customer, I was eligible to receive a discount on upgrading from the DSL/Phone bundle I had. As a result, my monthly fees, which totaled about 46 a month, would only increase by 5 dollars to 51 a month. That extra 5 dollars gave my 8 times the download speed and 32 times the upload speed (3 mbps / 768 kbps DSL ---> 25 mbps / 25mbps FiOS). Seemed fair to me!

Install date was on the 10th, and I heard from residents in the building that it took 4-5 hours to finish. However, because my run was simple, my fiber was strung up and I was speed testing in 45 minutes flat. The cleanup was another 15 minutes, the tech was in and out in 1 hour. Awesome.

The equipment has evolved from the large, bulky white boxes that contained the ONT and backup battery these small, sleek black boxes that do exactly the same thing, just in a smaller, easier to hide package. I didn't mount mine, it is just sitting on the floor tucked away somewhere.

The speed is insane, that's really all I can say about that. Once this promotional pricing ends, if the new price is substantially higher, I'll probably bundle and get TV to get a discount. But for now, the speed is great, and the price is even better.

Comments:
grapevine1

join:2012-02-11
76051-2637

After three years I've absolutely had it with FIOS.

My last test was down to 3mps per second. I pay for thirty. I'm constantly having to reboot, no longer even try to watch On Demand due to picture interupptions. When calling required to do software driven re-boots for twenty minutes before even allowed access to tech support where I get to go all through it again. Once it's up and running that's it ( until tomorrow where it starts all over again) Absolutely had it with Verizon looking for another provider and hopefully wont be paying nearly as much either !

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

Re: After three years I've absolutely had it with FIOS.

Uh grapevine, has ANY techs been out to repair? It sounds like you have a physical issue that cant be resolved by tech support. Get a tech out there so you can get your services working right.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
This does not mirror my experience with Fios TV & InterTUBES. I consistently get the speeds I've been promised, the HD picture quality is awesome, and my on demand experience has been great.

I'm not a fan of the new STB software, it's a little clunky on my box, but once what I want to watch is launched on my box, the picture quality is great.

The STB software could use some tweaking, but once you get to what you want to watch, it's great....
Petty people are disproportionally corrupted by petty power

Rokman1

@verizon.net

Re: After three years I've absolutely had it with FIOS.

Review by CapeFish See Profile

• Location: Wimauma,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Fast internet, good no contract triple play promotion, reliable so far"
Bad "Customer service still too complicated, TVEverywhere server, Nickel & dime you"
Overall "FiOS is a great product if you can get through the Verizon maze"

·Bright House
July 2013: I ordered FiOS 50/25 internet service online as part of a Triple Play that included TV and phone service. Install was the next day and went well...other than for some wiring labeling mix ups (brand new house) on the TV coax that caused signal issues. That was the fault of the home builder and not Verizon, though Verizon corrected them next day free-of-charge.

The tech installed an ONT on the side of my garage where the builder terminated the coax and two Cat-6 runs (one for internet and one for phone). A contractor did a nice job of trenching the fiber from the node in my side yard to the garage earlier in the morning. He used coax for the internet instead of the Cat-6, but this can be changed in the future as he prepared it for either a second phone line/alarm phone line or ethernet connection from ONT to router. My Actiontec gateway was installed and has worked flawlessly. The WiFi signal blankets my home and the ethernet drop to my office is great. Install took about 2 hours from arrival to departure.

One aspect of Verizon Florida's install is the installer leaves you their business card on a magnet for your fridge. I didn't realize you could call the installer directly for 30 days (or any repair after that) and they will try to make a house call to take care of it. Nice idea to not deal with Verizon's massive CSR phone maze.

I will note every Verizon employee I've spoken to on the phone told me where they were, with 90% being in Tampa and one I've spoken to in Texas. Thumbs up to having US-based support. The only ISP issue so far has been with Verizon's TVEverywhere server having an outage yesterday (no MAXGo, WatchESPN, or BTN2Go) and it was corrected after a few hours.

Speed tests have delivered low (below 50 ms) latencies and speeds above 50 download/25 upload. Verizon's Speed Test has latencies below 20 ms, downloads near 60, and uploads near 30 consistently. The other option, Bright House Networks, offered 90/10, 60/5, 30/2, and 10/1 internet packages. By comparison, FiOS offers me 15/5, 50/25. 75/35, 150/65, and 300/65 internet packages in my neighborhood. In the future, I plan to take advantage of FiOS built-in MOCA network to add ethernet connections to a PC in a bedroom without ethernet. Verizon has definitely made this a power user service!

Update 4/6/2014: Started having some issues with Verizon's router. Speeds were half of normal and latencies rose. Found a bad splitter, which has been eliminated. Seems like the problems have returned here a few days later. Think I may call Bright House...

Update 4/16/2014: Verizon asked for a last chance to fix the issues, they will be heading out tomorrow. We will see if we can get things back working right. Turns out the higher uploads were needed for work stuff.

member for 7.5 years, 1506 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

VashTS

Please go back to BH.

So you just had it installed and already had a bad slitter, fixed that and still having issues? If its within the first 30 days you can get a tech back out there to find and fix the issue for free. IF not then please come back to BH. You can get 90Mb down and 10Mb up. A full 10Mb up. Cant beat that anywhere.

Re: Please go back to BH.

Never had Bright House before. It's been about 8 months since I had FiOS installed and they did not want to come out to fix the issues for free. Wanted to charge me for a service call. I did have Bright House installed today (FiOS currently set to be turned off on the 10th) but having issues with connection dropping out at :28 past every hour. Nothing's perfect

Re: Please go back to BH.

There you go. In a few months when you get tired of BH crap you can go back to Verizon and get everything fixed for free. Just call within the first 30 days.
mikeluscher159

join:2011-09-04

Re: Please go back to BH.

I don't like this case of Verizon's piss poor Tech support either
....But why don't you just spend the $20~ for some good quality replacement splitters? I hate saying this, but IT IS a better internet service
Customer service on the other hand (rolls eyes) isn't Big Red's strong point these days

UR a cool guy.

They used good stuff when I had it. Ur in FL to so im going to assume they used the same where you are. Things can and do go bad, maybe it was a bad one? Depends on who you get in tech support. Get a actual Verizon rep and ur good, get a contractor and ur going to have the worse time of ur life. Best of luck to you buddy.

Re: UR a cool guy.

During the Bright House install, we found that the Verizon coax connection had to be redone. Found that the builder of the house ran an extra Cat 6 ethernet out there which my Verizon installer never used. If I ever go back to FiOS, I'll suggest they use that instead of the coax.

Re: UR a cool guy.

U mean the coax Verizon used that was already in the house? Cuz thats what everyone does, use whats already there. Maybe it was bad from the beginning? Techs use coax and Moca unless you the Cat6 there, now that you know its there they can use it if you ever switch back. ALSO reading from ur review of BH witch im happy every things working there just fine, please tell me you didnt have another modem connected at the same time. You know the rules when using Fios and its on Moca? If you were maybe that was the internet issue. But thats neither here nor there, you have BH now. Good Luck!

Re: UR a cool guy.

It was a brand new house, so Verizon terminated the cabling left for them by the builder. When they put the connector on the coax, they did not attach it cleanly and it eventually slid off causing the issues. It's been corrected, so that's good.

The main Cat6 was there for internet, but the tech left it alone. He did use another Cat6 run for the phone. Verizon actually sending someone out would have solved this since it was not easily accessible to me.

The MoCA network was setup by Verizon so it didn't (I assume) interfere with the router getting data from the ONT and the connection issues affected all the devices (ethernet, wifi, and moca) at the same time. This worked well and having ethernet via coax using MoCA is a great feature!

I have BHN for now and it's working well, but having learned this makes it easier to understand why the FiOS service deteriorated like it did for me. They keep contacting me to try and get me back. It's a service, I go with the more convenient option for me, hence why I don't do contracts. The FiOS reconnection offers are pretty good, love having this level of competition!

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

Re: UR a cool guy.

Are your internet issues, wired, wireless , or both?

Review by diablo2424 See Profile

• Location: Lyndhurst,Bergen,NJ
Good "Super fast, low latency, affordable, no outages"
Bad "Verizon didn't want to run Ethernet in my Apartment, did it myself, they want you to use their crappy Actiontec via MoCA"
Overall "If you can get FiOS, do it. But get at LEAST 35/50Mbps package, no slower TV guide/menu/VOD uses bandwidth"

I ordered the 75/35MB triple-play and absolutely love it. I am in an apartment build of just over 100 units and I get 82+/32+ Mbps CONSISTENTLY. Just remember to always get at LEAST 35/50Mbps package with FiOS, as your Guide and VOD also use bandwidth, more set top boxes the more bandwidth used by them. Also, try to talk them into running Ethernet from the ONT, in my apartment they would do it, so I had to do it myself :-X. It's worth it, that Actiontec MI424WR is meh at best.

Comments:

dodgetech2

join:2002-01-01
Gouldsboro, PA

Just an FYI

FIOS is over provisioned, there is no need to get extra for TV and VOD, Verizon gives it to you automatically
dewdude

join:2010-03-27
Manassas, VA

VOD bandwidth is separate from internet.

The data use for the guide on the STB's is negligible at best, I would not worry about it interfering with your internet usage.

That being said; VOD traffic does not count toward your internet speed. If that were true; my internet would drop whenever someone runs VOD. VOD traffic is "separate" from your internet traffic; your internet traffic is throttled according what speeds you subscribe to *before* they get to your ONT. When I was on the 35/35 plan; I could run my internet at full-speed and still support 3 simultaneous HD VOD streams with no problem.

The biggest limiting factor is the MoCA coax network. That only supports around a 230mbps connection; which unless you have 100mbps internet and 10 STBs all streaming HD VOD; you'd never hit that limit.

For what it's worth; your ONT is actually synced to the GPON network at speed (around 2.2gbps). All bandwidth limitations are from the unlikely scenario of being on a full PON card with everyone using services; or as I stated, further upstream.

Review by julesism See Profile

• Location: Lewisville,Denton,TX
Good "paying for 50/25 but it's always 58/35 (fluff), low latency, no outages"
Bad "behind on HD content"
Overall "FiOS has lost it's new car shine/smell"

I've wanted FIOS for years but never lived in an area where it was available. How I lived without FIOS for so long baffles me. Now that I have it, I'll never be able to live without it. The internet speeds are unheard of and are stable\reliable. Internet is most important to me so I'm golden. I'm using my own router. My internet is Ethernet\DHCP so all I had to do was release the DHCP lease on the Verizon router and plug the Ethernet drop into my Linksys WRT610Nv2 running TomatoUSB. The routers supplied by Verizon are yawn.

TV is pretty good but here is where my complaints are. The hard drive size is not very big. FIOS TV is missing several HD channels that many other providers have. For me, I'm disappointed that Fox Soccer Channel HD and BBC America HD are not available. I had Remote DVR Access working using my Linksys router but they disabled my access because I am using an unsupported router. I understand if it's not supported but don't disable mine when it's working fine. Not happy about that but I'll live.

My bill will go up to ~$170 a month ($155 if I drop FS+) after my first 6 months. First month is ~$135.

Signed up on 4/26/10. Live on 4/30/10
FIOS 35/35 Internet
Ultimate HD with EPIX
1 x Home Media HD-DVR STB
1 x HD STB
Fox Soccer Plus a la carte (+$15)

UPDATE 11/2/10
In late July, I returned the Home Media DVR and the HD STB for a HD DVR box to save some money. It took until October to get the billing straightened out but each time I was properly credited, just a hassle to call and fix it. It's all good now. My bill is now ~$135\month after promotions\credits. I'm getting $20 credits and HBO\Cinemax free until December.

UPDATE 12/22/10
I just dropped FiOS TV but kept FiOS internet. I now have 15/5 for $54.99 a month. I switched to TWC for TV because they have 3 soccer channels (FSC, FS+, and GOLTV) in HD. FiOS has 0. As soon as FiOS catches up with FSC and FS+, I plan on going back to FiOS TV.

UPDATE May 2011
I came back to FIOS TV after the footie season was over and also went with a triple bundle. I currently have Ultimate HD with a MR-DVR in the living room and a stand alone HD box in the bedroom, 35/35 internet, and digital voice for ~$136/mth including taxes and after discounts. I'm happy with the newer STB's and FSC-HD is nice. All I need now is FS+HD and IMG 1.9.

UPDATE 11-28-11
Bill went up $10 to ~$146. Lost a discount. Following another members action, I've decided to lower the value for money option. I'm constantly debating whether or not I should go back to TWC for TV. FiOS TV has fallen behind with HD additions. TWC has FS+, GolTV, ESPN Deportes, and soon Fox Deportes all in HD. FiOS has none of those. It was like pulling teeth getting FiOS to give us FSC in HD. I'm pretty sure I can count the number of HD additions since April 2010 on both hands. Really wish FiOS exec's would make some decisions on their plans to combat this but nothing but fuzzy math and logic so far.

UPDATE 4-11-12
I decided to lower the pre-sales and tech support ratings. The product works great but when I have to speak to six different reps to make changes to my account, it's frustrating. Anytime I have made changes to my account, it's been painful :/

UPDATE 4-9-2014
We dropped TV service many months ago. FiOS TV is still way behind on HD content for our interests so we have TWC for TV. We currently have 50/25 internet only. Bill runs just under $74 a month. Considering bundling with TWC but 25mbps up is nice.

member for 12.6 years, 2527 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by fredez See Profile

• Location: Telford,Montgomery,PA

April 7 2014

I have had Fios for 5 years now and after being jerked around for the last week I decided now was the time for a review. It has worked great about 85% of the time but in this 5 years I have gone through 3 ONT's and 2 BBU's. Support is in general terrible you are either waiting on the phone or for the service tech to show up. My latest contact with support has been going on for 5 days now I turn things off and go to work and when I come home at night no internet I have to call so they can reset everything from their end. On Friday the 5th of April they sent a tech out and when he got here things were working he then said "what am I supposed to fix its working" and left not what I would call good customer service. Speaking with the techs on the phone they all admit its their problem someone is supposed to come out on Monday the 8th I will wait to see what happens and give another report on the service and repair.

FIOS is great when things work correctly I have the 50 down 25 up package and always manage to get 10mbs more then I signed up for. In my eyes it all comes down to are you willing to put up with inferior service and incompetent service techs when repairs are needed.

Comments:

VashTS

Questions?

You said you turn things off when you go to work, does that include the router or the ONT? They should always have power and never turned off. Normally if the ONT does go bad they should replace the BBU at the same time. WHy are you waiting till May to get a tech out? You should call and have them check to see if the ONT shows why the internet goes down. Some of them show logs on what, when, where, why, things happen.
fredez

join:2002-08-05
Telford, PA

April 17 update;

The tech arrived and this one actually did something he checked everything and it performed up to spec according to his tests. Then he decided to clean the fiber and and gave me a new router everything has worked fine so far but we shall see.The reason I turn things off is that I have been in two fires in my life both caused by electrical problems and there is no way I am leaving the house with this stuff turned on. Speaking with support and the tech both said there is no requirement that the router has to be on 24/7 and that it should work even if I turn it off.
dewdude

join:2010-03-27
Manassas, VA

said by fredez:

While you don't have to leave the router on all the time; if you have TV service it will greatly impact it's ability to work if it can't update the EPG when required.

If you had fires caused by electrical problems; then I think a bigger job rather than turning things off and dealing with FiOS is getting your wiring fixed. You only get fires if you're overloading a circuit; so you have bigger problems.

bob1954

join:2000-03-31
Hackensack, NJ

said by dewdude:

That is so wrong a statement... Electrical fires are not always caused by poor wiring, but by having defective items... I can understand how he feels it happen to us once but to have it happen twice..Wow!! My wife does the samething as you and it works out very good for us also...Best of luck...
fredez

join:2002-08-05
Telford, PA
What you say about the wiring would get me upset also how ever it has nothing to do with my current home,one was in an apartment the other in a previous residence.

Update: May 8
I am now having a slightly different problem, the speed drops to a miserable 3Mbps up after the modem has been off for a few hours. The tech was out here again and blamed Firefox,my computer and everything else he could think of. If I call support and they reset the ONT from their end the speed is right where its supposed to be, but if I shut things down for 8 hours or so the problem comes back.
Now Verizon wants to charge me $91.00 an hour to come out and fix it like they should have done a month ago.

Review by tnutt1105 See Profile

• Location: Buffalo,Erie,NY
Bad "verizon fios changed my life"

it did indeed change my life...I'm now more cynical than I ever thought I could possibly be. the salesperson that I spoke to for 45 minutes kept giving me the "token" lines and would not answer specific questions. finally was transferred to what I was told was her supervisor. supervisor settled the situation and offered me a great deal which amounted to a $50 savings from my current cable agreement for similar services and an internet speed upgrade. I was happy.

one week later (my install date) I receive a call confirming my installation time. at this point the representative confirms my order. however, now the services that I had requested are no longer listed on my installation order. it seems that the package that I agreed to is not available and the supervisor that offered it to me was wrong (their words not mine). now the package that they want to offer me is about half of what was initially offered...for the same price that I currently pay for my cable service. my intent all along was to decrease my monthly bill...needless to say, I cancelled the installation.

I had called my cable provider to ask where to return my cable boxes, remotes, etc. and they were unhappy that I was leaving for Fios. when I called them back and explained that I cancelled the fios and would be staying with them they offered me a great deal of their own, my world is a happy place. say NO to Fios.

I was passed from one rep to another, each one gave me every "company line" written on the call sheet in front of them. it got so bad that the last few reps that I spoke to began their portion of the conversation with "I'm sorry".

Comments:

VashTS

Better luck next time.

You cant do a review on something you never had. Yes who ever you talked to in sales was just some poor bastard telling you a lie to get a sale in so they would not get fired. Sorry that happened to you but thats happened to us all. If you talked to Reten then they might have been able to give u some kind of deal, U still might get a call back from them with some offer. I hope its good and you take it. The internet is great.
slow_move

join:2012-07-20
Coram, NY

Re: Better luck next time.

Why cant he do a review on his dealing with a company that was not honest with him and he backed out once that happened? It is a very valid review.

Review by Frankg0 See Profile

• Location: Loudoun, VA
Good "Knowledgeable sales rep, great and fast installer, fast speeds,"
Bad "I need to get new computers or at least faster wireless NICs. Noticed some slow down at times but not bad."
Overall "Should have done this long ago, fast speeds and lower cost from what I was paying before."

·Verizon Online DSL
Verizon has been calling/emailing/mailing me almost non-stop since FiOS was available in my neighborhood. I just procrastinated. I had DSL and 2 phone lines.

So finally I decided to switch. First sales rep was OK but I was not ready to act when he called. I asked him to send me an email with all we discussed but he said he could not do that. (2 lines, 15/5 for $85)

I called and this rep was not as nice he wanted to charge me $80 activation when first guy said it was waived. (2 lines, 15/5 for $85 plus activation fee) So i decided to wait for them to call again.

2 days later got a very nice rep and we chatted about what I could get and without me asking she asked me to check my email and I had a quote from her with everything plainly laid out. 2 lines, 50/25 and no fees for install/activation for $85 total. So I said let's do it. This was on the 10th. Scheduled install on the 18th.

I moved some hardscaping out of the way for the fiber install. That was done on the 13th.

I cleared the area for the ONT and BBU and cleared the area for the router. There is a home run coax cable from the ONT location to this room so I pulled the wall plate so he could terminate the end after toning it out.

Installer showed up at about 11:30 on the 18th after calling saying he was coming in an hour. He surveyed the locations and got to work. He was done in about 2 hours. Installed the BBU inside next to an outlet. ONT (I-211M-K) outside in an enclosure. Toned out the coax and terminated both ends. He hooked up the router (MI424WR-GEN3I) and got the internet going. Then he went back out and hooked up both phone lines and tested each one. After he left I set my wireless back up and was connected to work in a matter of minutes.

The install was completely painless and fast. The only issue I had was with the sales reps but it was no big deal. Now I have faster internet and clearer telephone service at a much cheaper price than before (85 vs 148).

Now I just have to learn my new router details and tweak my home PCs a bit. I do need to buy a new home PC. This one is ancient...

4/1/14: Update - Dropped 2nd phone line so price is now down to 72 total with taxes.

Comments:

Review by cuda74360 See Profile

• Location: Halethorpe,Baltimore,MD
Good "fastest internet I've ever had, TV looks great, phone is crystal clear"
Bad "STB interface leaves a lot to be desired, slow Netflix during Prime Time"
Overall "great service"

UPDATE 3/29/14

Still working well. Extra fees have raised my bill to $115.

»www.speedtest.net/result/3404235209.png

UPDATE 04/05/11

I bought a second TiVo to replace my STB and ordered a CableCARD for it. The install went great, and I was able to return my STB to a local Verizon store.

I now have no need to connect coax to the router, and internet browsing seems to be faster.

UPDATE 08/28/10

I initiated a support chat with Verizon complaining about my slow DNS, and they sent me a new router. The replacement is a Revision E and the DNS query times are much better than the Revision D it replaced.

UPDATE 08/24/10

My wife asked if we could switch back to our old DSL service. She said that the internet has been slow ever since we got FiOS.

Further troubleshooting determined that DNS queries, when sent to the router, take 300ms+ to resolve. Local addresses (like my network printer) take 15ms to resolve. A query directly to either of VZ's DNS servers takes 12ms on average to resolve for most sites.

Unfortunately, the Actiontec insists on setting itself as the primary DNS server. I have entered the DNS settings statically into our Mac's network settings for now. This bypasses the Actiontec's DNS proxy and solves the issue. But this solution doesn't work for my Roku... it can only use DHCP and has been running quite slow since FiOS was installed.

UPDATE 08/20/10

My service was installed today. I had already pre-installed RG-6 "home runs" to my 2 TV's and ran cat5e to where I wanted the router to go. I also had a board mounted and ready for mounting the ONT in my basement.

The tech agreed to mount the ONT in the basement and made quick work of running the aerial drop from the pole to my house. To reach the ONT, he simply enlarged the hole where my old phone service entered the house.

He didn't have installation software with him that would work on my Mac, so he had to use his laptop to activate my account, STB, and CableCARD. Once that was done, the internet came on immediately and the STB soon after. It took about 15 minutes to activate the CC, and the TiVo works great with FiOS!!!

The tech was here for about 3 hours, start to finish. I am very satisfied with every aspect of the install.

So far, I'm getting 20Mbps down and 5Mbps up.

»www.speedtest.net/result/922350175.png

FiOS TV looks great. With the TiVo, I can set one tuner to an OTA channel, and the other to the FIOS version. Then I can switch tuners and A/B them. I can't tell a difference between OTA and FiOS. Much better picture quality than DISH Network, by far.

I'm not a big fan of the FiOS set top box in our bedroom. It works fine, but the guide leaves a lot to be desired. I guess I'll have to get another TiVo for that TV eventually.

FiOS Digital Voice is very loud, but clear. I had to lower the volume on my phone to get it close to where it was with my old service.

----------------------------------------

I ordered the FIOS triple play over the weekend. It is a 2-year contract for $89/month. The $108 total monthly cost is their estimate after fees and taxes. I'll update it once I get my actual bill.

For phone: I chose FIOS Digital Voice.

For Internet: I chose the 15/5 package.

For TV: I chose the Prime HD package.

I have a TiVo hooked to an HDTV and an SDTV, so I need a Cable Card and a SD box. The website didn't have the option to select a CableCard, so I initiated a chat. The chat representative told me CableCards cannot be ordered online, but that I can call once I get my confirmation email and have it added to the order. He told me to select "No equipment" for that TV. Once I got my confirmation email I called the number provided, and talked to one of the most helpful customer service agents I've ever talked to. I told her that I was calling to add a CableCard to my order. Because I selected "No equipment", she was able to easily add the CableCard to my order. She acted surprised that the CableCard option wasn't offered online, and went over all of the specials/promotions that were available to make sure I knew about them. At the end of the call, she mentioned that my SD box was free for 1 year. When I told her that the website didn't mention that, she said "I know... I just fixed that for you."

member for 5.7 years, 214 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by benjamin See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "First-rate reliability, excellent speeds and latency"
Bad "Not inexpensive, especially when unbundling or with basic TV packages; installation will take the full scheduled window"
Overall "The best available service in the city, worth the price"

·Vonage
·BroadVoice
I was the first person to get FiOS installed in my building and I haven't looked back since. Not only are the speeds as good as advertised, but the network has been extremely reliable since installation about 18 months ago. There isn't much to add, except that latency varies but is usually acceptable.

I should also note that my installation was done with standard coax (cat5 from ONT to main box, then coax to modem), which works fine even for the upgraded speed options (except for the very top ones). At the time I got service, this was the only option. Installation took a long time but, in my case, was done meticulously.

Highly recommended. If you want or need a premium TV package, you can get a great deal on bundled services, too.