Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1940 reviews (1455 good) (145 bad)

Review by jmcgeejr1 See Profile

• Location: Kirkland,King,WA
Good "Great Speeds for the Price"
Bad "Actiontech router, tech support not the best have had VPN issues that is VZ fault and so far no fix"
Overall "If you dont need L2TP and you get the techs to install ethernet instead of coax you're set"

·Frontier Communi..
4/15/2011=The migration to Frontier has completed, and not without issues, with the changing of IP's and the lack of reverse DNS it caused a lot of havoc on my bank accounts and other stuff as well.

Speeds are pretty similar and outages about the same.

I got my FiOS installed on a monday was loving everything about it from day of order. The tech (alex) was great did a nice clean install and even knew about putting in drip loops when running cable, that was an art I thought had been lost . install took only about 2 hours. The actiontech modem is junk. It may be great for people who want a box to get online and that's about it sure. As stated they have L2TP vpn issues and even though they have been somewhat talking with me they keep saying we dont support VPN blah blah blah. What kind of excuse is that this is 2008 and telecommuting is a common thing.

update 2 weeks after verizon finally made some changes and I was able to vpn in. So far everything is great.

Comments:

Review by volswagn See Profile

• Location: Farmingville,Suffolk,NY
Good "Speed, Installation Communication, Reliability"
Bad "Cost, no FiOS TV in Brookhaven yet"
Overall "So far, so good!"

UPDATE: 2011/04/27 - Still rock solid. since my earlier review. I think it must be about a year now. I always get advertised speeds right on the money and the service has never gone down as far as I have been aware. I am VERY happy with FiOS and would highly recommend it to others!

--------------------------------

REVIEW: Recently found out FiOS internet was finally available in my neighborhood and since I have mixed feeling about Cablevision, I figured I'd try it. Speeds had been getting slower in the evening, and I admit I have a bit of a grudge against Cablevision that they charge full price for the Center Ice package yet don't offer the HD channels that come with the package, so I started the process of giving them less and less of my business.

I ordered online and Verizon kept me posted as to the status of my upcoming install. The installer showed up on time, called 15 minutes before arriving. He removed all the old, unused wiring to the house and on the side of the house, installed the new box very neatly, and even paid attention to how I did the wiring in my wiring closet and integrated the FiOS install into the existing setup.

He asked me how much help I wanted setting up my network, and only offered as much as I needed.

Speedtests have been rock solid what I ordered. 15 down, 4.75 up. Perfect. Love it so far. Only wish I could've gotten the TV, but if you live in Crookhaven, you know what the deal is there. Also wish it cost a little less, but I can live with it.

Comments:

Review by OwlSaver See Profile

• Location: Berwyn,Chester,PA
Good "Very Fast, Professional Instalation, Nice Router"
Bad "Loss of Copper Line, Echo on some voice calls, boxes required for channels over 49"
Overall "This is the future and I wanted to try it"

Update 4/21/2010:

I was one of the lucky few who were selected to participate in the IMG 1.9 Sneak Peak. It was really a great experience. My family knew nothing of this and adapted to the new IMG with no problems. The new features in the IMG were great. But, the best part was getting to work with the people inside of Verizon. It really changed my view of the company in a very positive way. These people were working day and night and on weekends to make sure we had a great IMG. They really listened to all that the Sneak Peak members had to say. It was a very good experience.

Update 5/12/2010:

I signed up for two more years earlier this year. The price was good and I now have Cell, TV, Internet, and Phone Bundled. Note that the $400 includes all four services. I would really like to pay less, but any cheaper options I have seen do not have the same quality as FiOS. My hope is that they add Fox Soccer Channel in HD soon.

Original Review:

I was fine with Comcast. I had TV (no boxes) and Internet for Comcast for many years and was happy with the service. When the complete package of Phone, Internet, and TV became available from FIOS, I wanted to give it a try. I really do not like Cable Boxes. So, I am looking forward to Cable Card 2 becoming a reality. But I will not hold my breath on that one.

FIOS is a great deal. However, with all the extras (three boxes, sports package, faster internet), I will be paying more than with Comcast. I just keep telling myself that I am getting more for that extra money. Hopefully, Comcast, Dish, and Verizon will enter a full price war soon. I would like to see more flat rate pricing and less ala carte pricing.

I ordered the complete package in early January and had it installed on February 3rd. They would have done it sooner but I was not available until then. The two installers were very nice and professional. They did a very neat job. They put the ONT inside my house. I already have the house wired for Ethernet with 12 ports throughout the house and two Access Points. They easily connected to it.

I had to leave before they were complete. Interestingly, they disabled my wireless security to get everything working. It only took me a few minutes to get everything back the way I wanted it. My wife immediately noticed the speed increase from FIOS (15 down/2 up).

I have one Dynamic IP. The ActionTec router supports a free DynDNS account. I set this up but have not had to use it. For the past month or more my IP has stayed the same.

The phone works fine. However, if I call anyone on my street I hear an annoying echo. I have not had time to go through the trouble shooting process. I imagine that it can be fixed at the CO.

So far, I am very happy with everything. I may be shocked when I get that first bill.

Update 4/22/2009. I have been very happy with the FiOS service. Even their customer service and billing has not been a problem for me. I really hate the set top boxes. I have added and removed packages over the years. I now have Internet 20/5 and TV Premium with Setanta. I am looking forward to getting MLS Direct Kick when it is available for order.

Comments:

Review by Cloppy See Profile

• Location: Norristown,Montgomery,PA
Good "Speed, No bandwidth caps, Good selection of HD channels for TV"
Bad "Internet kinda spotty right now"
Overall "Better then other ISPs in the area"

Reason for getting Fios:
I had Comcast service and disliked the bandwidth caps and while downloading the slow downs so i switched to verizon Fios.

Order:
25/25 internet, extreme HD TV with DVR, phone (triple play)

The Good:
-The really nice thing i like about Fios is that i can be maxing out my connection downloading a game and still get low pings everywhere. For example i recently built a new gaming system and i was redownloading and installing my library from steam. I had 5 games downloading at a total of 3.2 MB a second (yes that's megabytes maxing out my 25/25 connection) and still was able to play xbox/ps3 and team fortress 2 perfecty fine.
-TV has a nice selection of channels too and the multi-room DVR is nice.
-I dont use a landline based phone so cant review that.

The Bad:
-Right now im having routing problems with alter.net which is verizon business class. i get packet loss to google and youtube. Other then that i have no problems with other sites. Will fix review when it gets fixed.
-TV connected to the DVR sometimes studers and freezes on HD channels. could be the splitter or coax cable

Installation:
Only took 2 hours and were very professional.

Comments:

Review by gnashville See Profile

• Location: Silver Spring,Montgomery,MD
Good "Fast, pretty reliable, decent hold times for tech support"
Bad "In Home Agent software - the worst - don't install it!"
Overall "Well, the main alternative is Comcast (shiver)"

We have the total Fios package - internet, land-line local/long distance phone and TV. We added TV last year, switching from DirecTV because we wanted HD and we have too many trees in the way. Surprisingly, this saved a bundle because we had been paying $100 for Verizon and $100 for DirecTV, and now we pay Verizon $150 for all services. Overall, very satisfied with the internet speed and reliability, although wireless of course is slower than direct connection. Verizon tech support has greatly improved over the bad old Verizon DSL days. Phone wait times are short unless the trouble is widespread--and in those cases it's almost always been a brief, weather-related widescale outage. So go read a book in the meantime. The In-Home Agent software is an annoying piece of junk. Do not install it. Usually it came on for no real reason, and actually using it always resulted in lockups or inappropriate suggestions or both. The installation was fairly smooth. The installer was brilliant and careless. Brilliant because he (long story) saw how he could freely connect our HDTV to the internet cable so we can stream Netflix etc. directly, careless because he wrongly wrote down the router password he gave us; but the value of the former far outweighed the annoyance of the latter.

• Location: Manasquan,Monmouth,NJ
Good "Internet speed, Picture Quality"
Bad "Multi-room DVR is a disappointment"
Overall "So far so good, but will probably be buying extra DVR's"

Just had FIOS Triple Play installed, with a multi-room DVR and three additional "nodes". Switched from CableVision.

The Good:
- HD quality looks better than CableVision
- Holy cow, how many channels does one need?
- Internet speed is a BIG improvement - even over wireless. I have the 15/5 package. Am getting just about that - over the wireless. Was getting 5%-10% of that speed before. Have not checked wired yet, nor done comprehensive network latency checks. But web pages come up much quicker, and IP conference software is more reliable.
- New on-screen guide takes getting used to but seems rich.

The Bad:

- "nodes' do not show the current time or channel..
- No Ratings on Movies

The Ugly:
- Multi-room DVR....what the ...? Do your homework. The main DVR works as expected, but the "nodes" do not. They can play back recorded material only. However, they cannot use any DVR features while watching live TV. This means no pause, rewind, or fast forward - not to mention initiate a recording. This is a BIG step-down.

Some things just seem dumb. When watching a program that is being recorded on the DVR, the node still cannot pause/rewind/forward. Compare this to the DVR, which, when switched to a channel being recorded, as access to the entire recorded stream.

Obviously, this is my fault for not asking the right questions. However, I believe that I confirmed with the sales agent that LiveTV DVR functions worked on the nodes. Would not have chosen this package had I known.

(review was emailed from domain microsoft.com)

Comments:

Review by neftv See Profile

• Location: Broomall,Delaware,PA
Good "Reliable, Fast, an ok price for 20/5."
Bad "Actiontec REV A wireless only has WEP, Small Nat table, I see FIOS to pricey for full service."
Overall "Fiber Straight to home is really the way to go!"

-------April 9,2011

I thought it was high time I did a review on FIOS Internet because it been several years now having it. My install went great. Had a fantastic tech that came to the house and he was done is like 3 hours. Running the suppended cable from the pole to the house peak took the longest time. He then had to check on the port he was plugging in upstream from me because there was some sort of issue but it all got resolved. I started with the 10/2 speed and later upgraded to 20/5 Speed which I have today. I find this adequate for my needs. Although the I not had an issue with the Actiontec REV A Router some have because of the small NAT table space. Also, it is only WEP wireless Security. I decided to us my own router, an Asus (now) and its working great. One time last Summer I accidentally cut the fiber cable. It was drooping down into a tall shrub in the yard and I didn't see it when it happened. I panicked thinking how long this was going to take to get repaired/replaced. I called up Verizon told them the truth and in like a few hours I had another excellent tech come out saw what happen and replaced the whole cable from pole to ONT so it was like doing another install. Thank god they didn't have to charge me for this. All was and is well since then. I only had to use Tech support one time early on it was a good experience and resolved my issue and when I cut my cable so those where my only dealings with Tech support.

A couple words on price. For what I am getting 20/5 internet only the price is ok. However I think it is getting pricey to get full package luckily there is some promotions but still. Right now I can't do full Verizon package.

Comments:

Review by VlntrFF204 See Profile

• Location: Richmond,Richmond City,VA
Good "Price, Reliability, and Speed"
Bad "Some of their so called "technical support" staff are not knowledge and some of their customer support people are clueless"
Overall "If you want something that is reliable and price effective then this is the best bang for your buck!!"

I have had the service for 6 month now where I live now and also had it for years with my parents and aside from the occasional problem this is top notch service minus technical support but don't even get me started on them. The people on here told me what my problem was in 15 minutes and I was on the phone for 35 minutes and they told me it was my router. If you want the best bang for your buck which most people do then I would consider this over that seven letter company that shall remain nameless. I had them with my parents and then 10 months on my own and the value and speed isn't anything near what FIOS gives you.

Comments:

Review by Kramer See Profile

• Location: Richmond,Henrico,VA
Good "Fantastic Internet, Good phone, Great TV"
Bad "Multi-room DVR"
Overall "Highly recommended"

Ordering Process

It was a bit problematic, but an online rep helped me through the process. Depending on what links you use, you may not get the best deal possible. I ended up ordering about $170/month worth of services for the triple play with 20/5 internet speeds. I'm supposed to get $150 back as well as another $5/month off for at least a year. I ordered the multi-room DVR, 2 SD boxes and a cheapo box for the kitchen. Verizon was very thorough about constant reminders for the upcoming install date. All in all ordering was a pleasant experience.

The install

Install was performed at the end of April 2009. The appointment Window was between 8-5. The installer showed up around 9:30AM after calling me earlier. The first couple of hours involved running around the neighborhood checking things and then installing the ONT. For the rest of the day which ended about 6:30 pm the installer couldn't have been more helpful. I had pre-wired the house with CAT5 and RG6 quad shield, but the installer didn't like the RG6 barrels on the jacks and gave me a handful to change out while he worked on other things (I offered). Where I had put fittings on, I used compression fittings and he was happy with those. The ONT ended up being bad and then he couldn't make a connection to the Internet, but both issues were resolved after a lot of wasted time. I can't say enough good about the quality of the install and the helpfulness of the installer. He wasn't in any hurry to leave and he just wanted to make me happy. The work he did was neat and professional looking. I have zero complaints about the install.

Post Install

The service when he left worked as expected, which was something new after coming from Comcast. Verizon somehow changed the order to include Cinemax even though I have a PDF of my order which does not show it. I'll keep it until at least the first bill or the day my wife notices the late night racy movies. It adds about ten more HD movie channels for five bucks a month. About two days later there was a massive outage in my area which apparently is very infrequent. That drove me nuts for a couple of hours, trying to figure out what on my end was causing the problem. If I could have signed on to DSLR, I would seen that it was a widespread problem.

The Service

Phone

The phone service is Verizon's and excellent. I just finally got verizon call Assistant installed and while you can't complain about the price (free), the software is terrible. I hope they work on that one. My second line is a Vonage line and that works flawlessly with FIOS. Avoid ordering Call Assistant before you get your first FIOS bill. Their system can't handle it without a tech manually installing it.

Internet

Nothing to talk about here. The speed is what they claim. Fast as %%#@

TV

All in all I am very pleased with the TV service. The multi-room DVR is disappointing though. It is more like a beta version than something you can count on. I have constant problems with the skip ten function in remote rooms. Very often when I use the function, it goes into a FF mode that is difficult to stop. Even in the room with the DVR, I will sometimes see channel descriptions that do not match the channel being viewed. I don't use the skip function anymore other than in the room with the DVR. The remote room capabilities are lacking. You can delete a recording from China on the Internet, but you can't delete one from your bedroom 20 feet away? That is sort of lame. Last night the picture just froze, like I had hit the pause button. Changing the channel and then changing back fixed that. I would expect to see this hardware improve measurably as the work out the kinks and add features, but I am not impressed by the fact that they released this hardware in this state of development. It is my largest disappointment.

The media manager sucks. The first time I tried to play a tune, it locked up my DVR, to the point where pulling the plug was the only recourse. If I look at my photos they are at a low resolution. I'll use the PS3 for these functions. It works.

These are all complaints that need to be put in perspective. 99% of the problems I have had are with features completely unavailable with my previous provider, Comcast. If you compare FIOS to Comcast, there isn't any comparison if you have a HDTV. FIOS wins on every measure except perhaps with On-Demand content.

The quality of the picture is superb in both SD and HD. No complaints there. Audio seems to be a problem depending on what channel you are watching. Every once in a blue moon I will hear an audio drop out or see a video drop out, but the picture is really good.

Conclusion:

I switched to Verizon from Comcast for a number of reasons. The final straw was after ten phone calls, Comcast wasn't able to deliver the channels I was paying for and had previously received. I was a happy triple play customer with Comcast, but they suddenly raised my rates and royally messed up my account. I would have kept their phone service on my second line, but they wanted $46/month to keep that active and that is an absurd price to pay. Comcast will get their act together with HD content and prices... and when they do, I will reconsider them.

Verizon gets an all-around A minus on their FIOS service from me. I haven't been billed yet and from what I hear, that could measurably drop their grade. If the multi-room DVR were something other than an experiment being played on me, I would give them an A or an A plus. Its a really good service and I highly recommend them for now.

Notes I gave a 5 rating for tech support. While the installer needed support to get things working, I have not as of yet. I really can't rate that properly.

Note: A few days later I received my first bill. It was accurate with the exception that they promised a $5/month reduction for online ordering and I didn't get it. They are telling me that can take a few billing cycles to kick in. I am going to request that they credit me for it until it does show up.

The One Year Later Update

One year later I am even more impressed with FIOS. Verizon has developed the product quite well. I just installed an Android application on my cell phone that lets me easily program my DVR from my phone. My only complaint is that I have yet to figure out how I might control 2 DVRs from the application. That doesn't look possible, but I could be missing something. I have had zero service interruptions in the last year. The last interruption was two weeks short of a year earlier and happened while I was out of town, but my family remained home. It was easily solved online. FIOS is a fantastic service.

My only complaints with FIOS are 1) The extremely small capacity of the DVR 2) The high rental cost of HD boxes. I assume Verizon has addressed or will address the first issue in good time. The second issue is not limited to Verizon. Walk into any store in America and try to find a TV that doesn't display HD programming. It is time for Verizon and all the cable companies in America to stop charging extra for HD hardware. Five or six bucks a box is reasonable but ten bucks isn't. 3) The high cost of the service. Not that I don't think FIOS is worth every cent you pay for it compared to the alternatives, but I am dismayed that Verizon has basically stopped introducing the service in markets where it hasn't already penetrated. If Verizon wants a greater than 50% penetration rate in existing markets, it has a lot of work to do. High early termination fees (any early termination fees for that matter), reduced incentives, poor distribution of customer service centers, bad marketing, and poor pricing models aren't making the task any easier.

To summarize, the only complaints I have with FIOS, I would have with any cable provider. The upside of this service is overwhelming. It's an amazingly reliable and robust technology.

Update 4/5/2011

Well, two years have passed and it was time to update my FIOS contract. I had to negotiate a little but I basically increased my speed to 35/35, upgraded my TV offerings and kept the phone service for about 5 bucks more a month than I had been paying. I can't complain about that and the price is locked in for two more years. I'm very happy!

Technically FIOS has been superb with one exception I will get into later. To the best of my knowledge, I have not lost CATV once in the two years I have had it. I haven't had any issues with CATV. I could probably count the Internet outages I have had on less than one hand and in every case it was simple to fix usually by rebooting the ONT.Phone service has been boringly stable. I have had an occasional issues with Verizon failing to Email me notification of voice mail. The phone line is so cheap, I can't justify going to Vonage which I do use on my second line.

As far as CATV and the multi-room DVR there is a huge limitation here that apparently is not the case in all areas. I can only have one HDTV stream going from the DVR at one time. We have 3 HDTVs and it has been a problem. Thankfully it has been a minor problem because the number of people living in my home is something like 2.75 in any given week and my wife watches little TV. This could be a huge problem for a larger family and I am amazed that Verizon hasn't addressed this limitation. The only solution is one I used for almost all of the two preceding years, which is to have multiple DVRs. The Verizon multi-room DVR usefulness is severely diminished by this limitation. I have also experienced this limitation with On-Demand viewing.

I recently switched from multiple DVRs to the new 500GB 7232 DVR. I like the storage capability and only use about 60% of it at any one time. I may not even bother to add an external hard drive when that possibility arrives. I haven't had any major issues with it other than the HD streaming limitations mentioned above. Two years later and you still can't remotely (from another set) delete or initiate recordings on the multi-room DVR. That doesn't make any more sense than two years ago when you could initiate a recording or delete one from a remote island in the Pacific, but not your home. Verizon is slow to initiate new features, but when they do, the features work pretty well.

All in all FIOS is fantastic product limited only by the glacial pace which Verizon improves it. I wouldn't consider switching to some other technology, even if the price were half that of FIOS. Good stuff!

member for 14.3 years, 7908 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by scanpac See Profile

• Location: Plano,Collin,TX
Good "Outstanding picture quality, good internet speed"
Bad "disappointed with dvr features"
Overall "TV & Internet good - DVR needs to move into the 21st century"

Ordered fios when it became available in my area as a triple play option. T.V. and internet have been available for over a year, but they could not port my existing phone number until recently. I am in an area where AT&T is the default ISP and now Verizon has come in and laid fiber. I moved from AT&T Uverse and the first thing you notice is how the picture quality blows uverse away especially in HD. The internet is rock solid and i ping at 5. I ordered the HD Extreme T.V. with 25 up / 25 down internet and digital phone for 129.00 a month and a 24 month contract.

The install was no big deal, it took about 2 hours, the tech used all of the Uverse wiring and the biggest part of the install was installing the ONT.

I am disappointed with the DVR features. The software is almost like a Dish Network DVR circa 1999. Their whole home DVR function is a joke. You cannot schedule or record a show from another set top box, only the dvr. The menu/guide are in standard def which looks terrible. From what I understand there is suppose to be a software update sometime soon so I will hold off my final judgement.