Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1932 reviews (1456 good) (142 bad)

Review by z28kindaguy See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Baltimore City,MD
Good "Installation was on time, done well."
Bad "Ordered 15/5 best upload I've gotten so far is 2.9 Mbps."
Overall "Liking it so far!"

Ordered FiOS on 12/29/10. Install date set for 1/12/11. Installer came on time and was helpful. This is a huge upgrade for me coming from Verizon DSL 1500/768. Checked speeds: 18 down 3 up. Ordered 15/5. So far so good. One thing I am very unhappy about was the fact they automatically signed me up for online backup and their online security package which both carry a monthly fee. I called right away and cancelled it. I told the lady how I was disappointed - she said that she'll notify her supervisor right away... yeah right! At least it was easy to cancel.

Comments:

Review by chashutch See Profile

• Location: Wylie,Collin,TX
Good "Blazingly stable internet"
Bad "Actiontec router is wireless G and 10/100 only and has a small NAT table"
Overall "Blazingly stable !"

FIOS is awsome. We have had FIOS since 2007 and it IS the bomb. We have about 20 connected devices in our home and everything just works. I would be great if the router was wireless N and Gig ethernet but, I can put a wireless router in the network

and solve that myself.

Comments:

Review by rob13psu See Profile

• Location: Buffalo,Erie,NY
Good "Fast and reliable. No connection issues in over a year."
Bad "Prices beginning to creep up."
Overall "Excellent product."

Very pleased thus far with the fast speed and reliable connection. I hope Verizon continues to expand fiber throughout the country.

Comments:

Review by jad8 See Profile

• Location: Wylie,Collin,TX
Good "fantastic service - speeds=good, service=good, all=good"
Overall "You cannot beat the speed no matter what, never had a downtime since 2005"

The service is extremely reliable, had it since 2005, cannot beat the service for the price no matter how hard you try and the network is moving on up in speeds that are close to un-imaginable!!!

Comments:

Review by shyguy_2004 See Profile

• Location: Hemet,Riverside,CA
Good "Service is great. Reliable and fast"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "If this is available to you, get it. You'll be very happy"

When we had found out that FIOS was being installed in our neighborhood, we were excited to try it out. When the service was fully ready, Verizon had people going door to door to sign people up, so we were among the first people to have FIOS in the city. We signed up for the triple play bundle, which at the time was FIOS 10/2 Internet, FIOS TV, and phone service. We wanted to switch because of our not so good experience with Verizon's DSL service (see my previous review: »/comment/72210)

Our install date was January 6, 2009, exactly two years from today. The scheduled time was between 2pm and 4pm. They did not show up on time, and we called at 4:30pm to see where they were. They were running behind at another house, but the lady from Verizon said they'd be here soon. A lot of time went by, and they still hadn't shown up. We assumed that they weren't going to even show up, and then they finally showed up at 6:30pm. A little bit of an annoyance, but at least the two installers showed up.

They were very friendly, and the one that was inside spent the time to show off a lot of the cool features of FIOS that we hadn't experienced yet, like the fast speeds of the Internet, the FIOS TV widgets, On Demand, etc. The ONT was installed in a closet in the garage, and it was a very neat installation. The router was a Westell 9100EM Rev. A, which surprised me because pretty much all of the reviews that I had read before getting FIOS had people getting Actiontec routers. I later learned that the Westells are (or at least at the time were) mainly used here on the West Coast.

The TV service looks great, and the Internet and phone also work perfectly. All services has been extremely reliable. We have only had one major outage in the two years, and it was fixed by calling up Verizon. We didn't even have to talk to anybody, as their automated system fixed whatever the problem was when going through their tests. The speeds have been great. When the first year ran up, we renewed the contract to get the faster 15/5 Internet that had replaced the 10/2 speed that we had. Even though we have the 15/5 service, we always get 30/20, which is very cool to see that we are getting more than we are paying for! At the price of $109 (plus all of the taxes, fees, etc.), we are very happy with our service, and would never consider using any other service. I would recommend FIOS to anybody that has it available to them. You will be very happy with it.

Comments:

Review by louisagresti

• Location: Denville,Morris,NJ
Good "Very Fast,Fiber is the present and future"
Bad "You can't use your own router if you have TV,Tech support"
Overall "Worth every dollar,providing you have no issues with the ONT or supplied router"

I switched over from Cable,the monthly charge was getting out of hand,,I ordered the Ultimate HD with tier 2 25/25 internet package,it will cost me about $103.00 dollars a month for 6 months then $110.00 for 24 months as per contract,The installation was smooth the fiber was right at the pole so no digging needed it took the tech about 4 hours to install the ONT in my garage and run the line to it,i hooked everything up inside,very nice tech,very well done install,the free Router they gave me was a FiOS Actiontec Router SFU Model MI424WR-Gen2,and a Motorala digital TV Box,so far only good experience,highly recommend if available in your area,

(review was emailed from domain verizon.net)

Comments:

Review by mabus See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "not much right now, but the tv and phone service are fine..."
Bad "frontier is experiencing growing pains"
Overall "don't switch to frontier until they figure out how to fix their serious internet issues"

No real surprises here, just a good, quick basic FiOS install for the 5down/2up package. ONT was installed outside near old phone terminal on back wall of house, and UPS was installed in laundry room although its not exactly inconpicuous but at least all the wires are routed neatly. Speed tests showed 5030k for the download speed and 1790k for the upload speed without running any tweaks on a windows xp pro laptop. Router is D-Link DI-624 with wi-fi and connection to verizon is provisioned for DHCP (one of the first non-PPPoE installs in the area).

Only complaint was that the installer showed up later than was originally told

****January 2011 UPDATE****

Configs, prices and speeds have all changed over the years... but where I am at now is with the ultimate HD triple play bundle and 35Mbps symmetric internet.

I won't disclose pricing, since my wife now works for frontier, she gets special discounting, but this package is normally $119/mo before you add in additional equipment charges for the TV service (STB's, DVR's, etc...) Even at that price, it was still competitive with the dish SD-TV, vonage, and FiOS internet only a la carte services we were previously paying for. This is similar to current Comcast and Time Warner offerings.

Actiontec MI424-WR rev. C from verizon that was replaced after the old D-Link failed is my gateway router - it handles IP services for the MoCA-enabled STB's (for on-demand, widgets, and home media dvr sharing) and the tv side is more or less plug and play. No issues there.

My biggest beef, however, is that the transition from Verizon to frontier has been anything but seamless. The first official day of the transition was July 1st, 2010. It was evident on that day that frontier was truly unprepared to handle the transitioning subscribers like me. Troubles with basic customer service stuff like access to my account on their website had various problems over the first few weeks, which have more or less been resolved, but the software they are running is still obviously the verizon portal software with frontier logos.

Those troubles were only the beginning though, of larger issues which have been coming to light in the forums over the last few months. As various areas have been cutover from the Verizon network to the frontier network, who, unlike Verizon are not a backbone provider, and thus, rely on larger companies like Verizon for backbone transport. And it is these routers that handle this traffic that have been experiencing significant latency issues in the last month or so. My guess is that these transitioned areas were not engineered appropriately (either by lack of raw bandwidth, underpowered routers, or bad configuration choices).

Couple that with the fact that frontier's DNS servers are beyond deplorable has made an otherwise decent service pretty terrible (can't access twitter, apple, google, etc...) at various times due to either DNS issues or routing latencies that are too high. I have since switched to OpenDNS, which solves a small part of the problem, but isn't a good permanent fix, and isn't something that customers should have to do.

Also, the forums demonstrate that DSL service is currently as bad or worse in many parts due to extreme oversubscription in the CO's. frontier is having to rebuild the backhauls in many of them to address this.

I also see the potential for problems with the FiOS areas to get worse before they get better since they are not a backbone provider themselves like Vz is, and they are still marketing up to 50Mbps symmetrical service in many areas pretty aggressively.

They will eventually have an infrastructure in place to handle their new customer base, but it just isn't here yet.

I'm only sticking with them since my wife is a frontier employee (making the price attractive for us via the discount), and the alternative here is comcast. I deplore comcast for their terrible customer service, but for the most part, their infrastructure is better than frontier. Since I work from home often, this severe lack of connection reliability could cause me to go back to comcast.. Or at the very least, explore small business account options with other providers for a slower connection, but one that has an SLA.

SUMMARY:

Don't switch to frontier right now if you're not already a subscriber. And if you are, hold on while they figure out how to deal with these growing pains... but I would think that they are trying to aggressively address this, and will hopefully fixing these various issues in the coming days or weeks (and not months or years).

As for the tv service? It is great, has been reliable, and I have never experienced problems with on-demand (surprisingly). The picture is decent on most channels, although it is clear that they are compressing the heck out of some channels with lower viewership (which most sat. and cable providers do too to allow for greater channel selection within the bandwidth available). They are lacking some key features though like setting dvr to record via the internet, iOS/android device apps to access content offerings and manage dvr's, etc...

Overall... what was a 4 to 4.5 star (out of 5) service has quickly degraded to a 2-star service. frontier has a good chance to fix this though, although time is not on their side right now.

member for 11.9 years, 1524 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by rreinman See Profile

• Location: South Plainfield,Middlesex,NJ
Good "TV is best"
Bad "internet is slower, can't stream video well, lousy router."
Overall "disappointed. after the 89 dollar/mo package, may move on."

Internet is disappointing,
Speed slows to 8mg from 15 often.
Never went that slow with comcast.... and sometimes zoomed to 21.
Television clarity and programing is excellent however and recommend it.
The router does not shine as my Linksys did.
Never had video streaming problems as I have now. NOTE: (I am sys admin, so I know what I'm doing here)

Comments:

Review by PaulyIzGod See Profile

• Location: Tampa,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Internet Speed, Price, Reliability"
Overall "Well worth the install and money."

1/2/11
Since install back in 2005 service has only gotten better. Had many friends switch from brighthouse to verizon. Speeds have gone from day 1 5/2 to today of a 35/35. Gone from a few hd Channels to 118 with my Ultimate hd package. Have the new 7232 with 500gb hard drive works great looks a lot better. All the features added from widgets to cell phone apps on my droid. Will not switch to anything else.

Old Review:
I have had the Verizon Fios service for over 2 years now, the only problem that I had was channels not displaying the picture only the sound on the Tv's. This was when the service was first launched in my area. One call to tech support and the problem was taken care of and never had a problem again.

I recently switched to the 20/20 package and the speeds that I get are amazing. I would recommend this product to anyone. Technical support the one time I had to call was in the US I think it was Texas, and fixed my problem with in minutes.

Comments:

Review by chemaupr See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Fairfax,VA
Good "Solid speeds 24/7"
Bad "Nothing to complain yet"

I had cox for 7 years. I've try FiOS for 4 months now and they are way superior. My total bill includes TV,Phn and 35/35 mbps, need to say more....??

member for 9.4 years, 1114 visits, last login: 3.6 years ago