Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1922 reviews (1454 good) (139 bad)

Review by fredez See Profile

• Location: Telford,Montgomery,PA

April 7 2014

I have had Fios for 5 years now and after being jerked around for the last week I decided now was the time for a review. It has worked great about 85% of the time but in this 5 years I have gone through 3 ONT's and 2 BBU's. Support is in general terrible you are either waiting on the phone or for the service tech to show up. My latest contact with support has been going on for 5 days now I turn things off and go to work and when I come home at night no internet I have to call so they can reset everything from their end. On Friday the 5th of April they sent a tech out and when he got here things were working he then said "what am I supposed to fix its working" and left not what I would call good customer service. Speaking with the techs on the phone they all admit its their problem someone is supposed to come out on Monday the 8th I will wait to see what happens and give another report on the service and repair.

FIOS is great when things work correctly I have the 50 down 25 up package and always manage to get 10mbs more then I signed up for. In my eyes it all comes down to are you willing to put up with inferior service and incompetent service techs when repairs are needed.

member for 11.9 years, 334 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

VashTS

@bhn.net

Questions?

You said you turn things off when you go to work, does that include the router or the ONT? They should always have power and never turned off. Normally if the ONT does go bad they should replace the BBU at the same time. WHy are you waiting till May to get a tech out? You should call and have them check to see if the ONT shows why the internet goes down. Some of them show logs on what, when, where, why, things happen.
fredez

join:2002-08-05
Telford, PA

April 17 update;

The tech arrived and this one actually did something he checked everything and it performed up to spec according to his tests. Then he decided to clean the fiber and and gave me a new router everything has worked fine so far but we shall see.The reason I turn things off is that I have been in two fires in my life both caused by electrical problems and there is no way I am leaving the house with this stuff turned on. Speaking with support and the tech both said there is no requirement that the router has to be on 24/7 and that it should work even if I turn it off.
dewdude

join:2010-03-27
Manassas, VA

said by fredez:

While you don't have to leave the router on all the time; if you have TV service it will greatly impact it's ability to work if it can't update the EPG when required.

If you had fires caused by electrical problems; then I think a bigger job rather than turning things off and dealing with FiOS is getting your wiring fixed. You only get fires if you're overloading a circuit; so you have bigger problems.

bob1954

join:2000-03-31
Hackensack, NJ

said by dewdude:

That is so wrong a statement... Electrical fires are not always caused by poor wiring, but by having defective items... I can understand how he feels it happen to us once but to have it happen twice..Wow!! My wife does the samething as you and it works out very good for us also...Best of luck...
fredez

join:2002-08-05
Telford, PA
What you say about the wiring would get me upset also how ever it has nothing to do with my current home,one was in an apartment the other in a previous residence.

Update: May 8
I am now having a slightly different problem, the speed drops to a miserable 3Mbps up after the modem has been off for a few hours. The tech was out here again and blamed Firefox,my computer and everything else he could think of. If I call support and they reset the ONT from their end the speed is right where its supposed to be, but if I shut things down for 8 hours or so the problem comes back.
Now Verizon wants to charge me $91.00 an hour to come out and fix it like they should have done a month ago.

Review by tnutt1105 See Profile

• Location: Buffalo,Erie,NY
Bad "verizon fios changed my life"

it did indeed change my life...I'm now more cynical than I ever thought I could possibly be. the salesperson that I spoke to for 45 minutes kept giving me the "token" lines and would not answer specific questions. finally was transferred to what I was told was her supervisor. supervisor settled the situation and offered me a great deal which amounted to a $50 savings from my current cable agreement for similar services and an internet speed upgrade. I was happy.

one week later (my install date) I receive a call confirming my installation time. at this point the representative confirms my order. however, now the services that I had requested are no longer listed on my installation order. it seems that the package that I agreed to is not available and the supervisor that offered it to me was wrong (their words not mine). now the package that they want to offer me is about half of what was initially offered...for the same price that I currently pay for my cable service. my intent all along was to decrease my monthly bill...needless to say, I cancelled the installation.

I had called my cable provider to ask where to return my cable boxes, remotes, etc. and they were unhappy that I was leaving for Fios. when I called them back and explained that I cancelled the fios and would be staying with them they offered me a great deal of their own, my world is a happy place. say NO to Fios.

I was passed from one rep to another, each one gave me every "company line" written on the call sheet in front of them. it got so bad that the last few reps that I spoke to began their portion of the conversation with "I'm sorry".

Comments:

VashTS

@verizon.net

Better luck next time.

You cant do a review on something you never had. Yes who ever you talked to in sales was just some poor bastard telling you a lie to get a sale in so they would not get fired. Sorry that happened to you but thats happened to us all. If you talked to Reten then they might have been able to give u some kind of deal, U still might get a call back from them with some offer. I hope its good and you take it. The internet is great.
slow_move

join:2012-07-20
Coram, NY

Re: Better luck next time.

Why cant he do a review on his dealing with a company that was not honest with him and he backed out once that happened? It is a very valid review.

Review by Frankg0 See Profile

• Location: Loudoun, VA
Good "Knowledgeable sales rep, great and fast installer, fast speeds,"
Bad "I need to get new computers or at least faster wireless NICs. Noticed some slow down at times but not bad."
Overall "Should have done this long ago, fast speeds and lower cost from what I was paying before."

·Verizon Online DSL
Verizon has been calling/emailing/mailing me almost non-stop since FiOS was available in my neighborhood. I just procrastinated. I had DSL and 2 phone lines.

So finally I decided to switch. First sales rep was OK but I was not ready to act when he called. I asked him to send me an email with all we discussed but he said he could not do that. (2 lines, 15/5 for $85)

I called and this rep was not as nice he wanted to charge me $80 activation when first guy said it was waived. (2 lines, 15/5 for $85 plus activation fee) So i decided to wait for them to call again.

2 days later got a very nice rep and we chatted about what I could get and without me asking she asked me to check my email and I had a quote from her with everything plainly laid out. 2 lines, 50/25 and no fees for install/activation for $85 total. So I said let's do it. This was on the 10th. Scheduled install on the 18th.

I moved some hardscaping out of the way for the fiber install. That was done on the 13th.

I cleared the area for the ONT and BBU and cleared the area for the router. There is a home run coax cable from the ONT location to this room so I pulled the wall plate so he could terminate the end after toning it out.

Installer showed up at about 11:30 on the 18th after calling saying he was coming in an hour. He surveyed the locations and got to work. He was done in about 2 hours. Installed the BBU inside next to an outlet. ONT (I-211M-K) outside in an enclosure. Toned out the coax and terminated both ends. He hooked up the router (MI424WR-GEN3I) and got the internet going. Then he went back out and hooked up both phone lines and tested each one. After he left I set my wireless back up and was connected to work in a matter of minutes.

The install was completely painless and fast. The only issue I had was with the sales reps but it was no big deal. Now I have faster internet and clearer telephone service at a much cheaper price than before (85 vs 148).

Now I just have to learn my new router details and tweak my home PCs a bit. I do need to buy a new home PC. This one is ancient...

4/1/14: Update - Dropped 2nd phone line so price is now down to 72 total with taxes.

Comments:

Review by cuda74360 See Profile

• Location: Halethorpe,Baltimore,MD
Good "fastest internet I've ever had, TV looks great, phone is crystal clear"
Bad "STB interface leaves a lot to be desired, slow Netflix during Prime Time"
Overall "great service"

UPDATE 3/29/14

Still working well. Extra fees have raised my bill to $115.

»www.speedtest.net/result/3404235209.png

UPDATE 04/05/11

I bought a second TiVo to replace my STB and ordered a CableCARD for it. The install went great, and I was able to return my STB to a local Verizon store.

I now have no need to connect coax to the router, and internet browsing seems to be faster.

UPDATE 08/28/10

I initiated a support chat with Verizon complaining about my slow DNS, and they sent me a new router. The replacement is a Revision E and the DNS query times are much better than the Revision D it replaced.

UPDATE 08/24/10

My wife asked if we could switch back to our old DSL service. She said that the internet has been slow ever since we got FiOS.

Further troubleshooting determined that DNS queries, when sent to the router, take 300ms+ to resolve. Local addresses (like my network printer) take 15ms to resolve. A query directly to either of VZ's DNS servers takes 12ms on average to resolve for most sites.

Unfortunately, the Actiontec insists on setting itself as the primary DNS server. I have entered the DNS settings statically into our Mac's network settings for now. This bypasses the Actiontec's DNS proxy and solves the issue. But this solution doesn't work for my Roku... it can only use DHCP and has been running quite slow since FiOS was installed.

UPDATE 08/20/10

My service was installed today. I had already pre-installed RG-6 "home runs" to my 2 TV's and ran cat5e to where I wanted the router to go. I also had a board mounted and ready for mounting the ONT in my basement.

The tech agreed to mount the ONT in the basement and made quick work of running the aerial drop from the pole to my house. To reach the ONT, he simply enlarged the hole where my old phone service entered the house.

He didn't have installation software with him that would work on my Mac, so he had to use his laptop to activate my account, STB, and CableCARD. Once that was done, the internet came on immediately and the STB soon after. It took about 15 minutes to activate the CC, and the TiVo works great with FiOS!!!

The tech was here for about 3 hours, start to finish. I am very satisfied with every aspect of the install.

So far, I'm getting 20Mbps down and 5Mbps up.

»www.speedtest.net/result/922350175.png

FiOS TV looks great. With the TiVo, I can set one tuner to an OTA channel, and the other to the FIOS version. Then I can switch tuners and A/B them. I can't tell a difference between OTA and FiOS. Much better picture quality than DISH Network, by far.

I'm not a big fan of the FiOS set top box in our bedroom. It works fine, but the guide leaves a lot to be desired. I guess I'll have to get another TiVo for that TV eventually.

FiOS Digital Voice is very loud, but clear. I had to lower the volume on my phone to get it close to where it was with my old service.

----------------------------------------

I ordered the FIOS triple play over the weekend. It is a 2-year contract for $89/month. The $108 total monthly cost is their estimate after fees and taxes. I'll update it once I get my actual bill.

For phone: I chose FIOS Digital Voice.

For Internet: I chose the 15/5 package.

For TV: I chose the Prime HD package.

I have a TiVo hooked to an HDTV and an SDTV, so I need a Cable Card and a SD box. The website didn't have the option to select a CableCard, so I initiated a chat. The chat representative told me CableCards cannot be ordered online, but that I can call once I get my confirmation email and have it added to the order. He told me to select "No equipment" for that TV. Once I got my confirmation email I called the number provided, and talked to one of the most helpful customer service agents I've ever talked to. I told her that I was calling to add a CableCard to my order. Because I selected "No equipment", she was able to easily add the CableCard to my order. She acted surprised that the CableCard option wasn't offered online, and went over all of the specials/promotions that were available to make sure I knew about them. At the end of the call, she mentioned that my SD box was free for 1 year. When I told her that the website didn't mention that, she said "I know... I just fixed that for you."

Comments:

Review by benjamin See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "First-rate reliability, excellent speeds and latency"
Bad "Not inexpensive, especially when unbundling or with basic TV packages; installation will take the full scheduled window"
Overall "The best available service in the city, worth the price"

·Vonage
·BroadVoice
I was the first person to get FiOS installed in my building and I haven't looked back since. Not only are the speeds as good as advertised, but the network has been extremely reliable since installation about 18 months ago. There isn't much to add, except that latency varies but is usually acceptable.

I should also note that my installation was done with standard coax (cat5 from ONT to main box, then coax to modem), which works fine even for the upgraded speed options (except for the very top ones). At the time I got service, this was the only option. Installation took a long time but, in my case, was done meticulously.

Highly recommended. If you want or need a premium TV package, you can get a great deal on bundled services, too.

Comments:

Review by JohnDoe232 See Profile

• Location: Staten Island,Richmond,NY
Good "Speed, latency, no caps"
Bad "reliability "
Overall "barely worth it anymore"

I've been a FiOS subscriber in NYC area for at least 5 years or so, most of the time it was extremely enjoyable experience - the download/upload speeds were great (the upload speed is unmatched by any cable provider), the latency/ping times were very low and the connection was relatively stable. I had no issues with playing games, downloading large files or even watching streaming movies from providers such as Amazon, Netflix or Twitch.TV.

However, during the last year and especially during the last 4-5 months the Verizon's quality of service has seriously deteriorated - the connection became less stable, I started to have problems with watching video streaming content (especially from Netflix and from Twitch.tv) at their maximum quality on my PC devices (surprisingly the portable devices still streamed at decent quality without any serious buffering). Speedtest.net's results were mostly fine, I've also called several times and Verizon tested my line from their end (unsurprisingly they couldn't find any issues), they exchanged my hardware (the crappy Actiontec routers) several times, so did I (I use different WiFi access point connected to Actiontec's router because Actiontec's routers have pretty crappy Wi-Fi part with very low signal strength). Nothing was really solved.

Even worse - I have recently started experiencing random disconnects almost every day at around same exact time (about 2:00-3:00 AM EST) where the Verizon's Actiontec router would drop connection and get stuck on "Waiting for DHCP lease" anywhere from 15-30 minutes up to couple of hours. I tried to reset/reboot the Actiontec router again, it obviously didn't help. In an addition to this Verizon has greatly increased their spamming campaign, spamming me every single day with offerings for higher FiOS speed tier as well as their crappy "Redbox" streaming movie service, both through e-mail (which can be easily blocked) as well as through programming guide on each TV receiver (which cannot be turned off/blocked). I am really, REALLY getting fed up with all of this and is already willing to switch the service to TWC (even though they aren't much better and their upload speed is significantly slower), unfortunately my contract still hasn't expired yet... As soon as it will, though, I am definitely switching because Verizon has completely stopped treating their FiOS service seriously (as evidenced by their unwillingness to expand this service to any other location outside of their current FiOS service areas).

Comments:

Vztechjoe

@optonline.net

Wifi

If you have an iPad or iPhone, download the wifi analyser. It will show you all the wireless routers nearby. You may be having a conflict with other routers on the same channel. There is a known issue with Cable Wifi signals. Log into the FiOS router and change the channel to the least congested channel and make sure to check off the box that keeps the channel after reboot. Try and stay away from 11, 6, and 3
JohnDoe232

join:2014-03-26

Re: Wifi

Nah, the problem with Actiontec's router suddenly losing WAN connection has nothing to do with WiFi... Same goes for Netflix and Twitch.tv - very often I get "buffering" or reduced bitrate even with PC connected to Actiontec router using standard network cable... It's just horrible routing and bad maintenance of their hardware - all they care about is adding dozens of "dummy" channels into my TV receiver's programming guide with Ads for "faster FiOS for extra $xx/month".

@bhn.net

Re: Wifi

Well if its dropping at 2 Am then it might be them doing system stuff on the back side. Unless that happens at any other point any other time if day then I would say system stuff on there side. Change the DNS in the router that does make things go faster. As for Netflix u should know the issue is not with Verizon if you read anything thats posted on this site. I never had an issue with Twitch. Like Vztechjoe said if ur wireless it might be a ch issue. That happens to everyone everywhere at some point. If still having issues call and get a new router. Its free and it just might be a bad router. IF U get tech support who has no idea what there talking about then hang up and call back and get a better one. Its a pain but it works.

Review by cotm See Profile

• Location: Stephens City,Frederick,VA
Good "awesome bandwidth and not a single hickup in a week. unlike comast"

The Fios Speeds can't be matched . My Installer was very knowledgeable . Attention to detail superb.
the price includes DirectTv with a HD package...

Comments:

Review by guppy_fish See Profile

• Location: Lakeland,Polk,FL
Good "6 years and counting, no issues"
Bad "Don't have anything bad to say"
Overall "Good service, great internet , if you want cheap, go somewhere else and complain"

Update 03/17/2014

Nothing new, just works, flawless internet and TV performance and quality

Might drop the TV to locals only and ditch the DVR this year ...

Update 06/12/2013

Like the energizer, just keeps going. Best service available, period!

Isn't the cheapest, I also don't drive a Yugo, very good value for the cost.

Currently have 75/35 Quantum, best internet one can get.

Update 11/30/2011

Pretty boring, no issues, have the new image 1.9 and it works fine, when I renewed I went to Fios Digital Voice, it only saves 3.50 but one gets a tone of features most VOIP providers have.

Phone, TV, internet all work great ... what else could one expect from a provider? oh I know there is a forum full of never to be happy people that will knit pick things to death, for everyone else, Fios is a great service

Update 12/4/2009

Nothing New, Flawless still, very happy customer. Waiting for FDV ( Fios Digital Voice ) to roll out for Florida and Quad Play discounts that the Northeast gets, but this will just be icing on the cake.

Update 8/29/2009

Flawless performance since last update. Verizon has come thru on all promotions, The VISA card came right on time and billing is correct even though I upgraded to the 25/15 tier for a 10 dollar increase over the 20/5 tier. Everything is working great, no issues or concerns

Update 5/27/2009

Well I signed up for Video, It was really hard call to leave DTV and pay the penalty for breaking my 2 year contract, I read daily the Fios TV forum and if you go by what is posted there its a scary thought to make the move.

The tech showed up on time, he let me do everything how I wanted as I am on Ethernet, he gave me a new westel router and I configured it to be behind the dlink 655 I use for the primary router. Total install for Video change over ( one DVR ) was about 30 minutes.

Had and issue with VOD and premium channels, Verizon keep escalating internally and each time Verizon called me with the status, at the end of the day it was fixed and we are very happy with the service. The DVR disk is small but with the VOD its almost pointless to record stuff as most content is available using VOD.

Only wish is that the guide was HD width, hear that is coming latter this year. Overall, we are happy with the switch and discounts and signup bonus will cover the DTV ETF fees

Update 3/8/2009

Things have been smooth, I signed up for the double play, billing finally got the some of the credits promised and service has been solid. I watch the FIOS TV forum as see there is progress there but for now I'm staying with just phone/internet. I have increased my rating on connection reliability as the service has had no interruptions in almost 3 months.

I'm using a DIR655 for the router now, mostly for 1G lan networking, nice to be on Enet as I can switch routers as I choose.

Update 12/15/2008

Well, all the promised credits never appeared, worse the contacts at Tampa office have all be reorganized and the people that promised the credits are no longer in charge. I have tried for 3 weeks to get things resolved, I did manage to get a partial credit but it no longer makes sense to have 20/20 as except for large torrents, no place on the net , including online backup services do not support 20mb upload speeds

I have gone back to the 20/5 and phone bundle.

Also, last two days , service has gone out twice and down for 5-6 hours ( internet and phone ) and had to call 6 times to get things resolved ( 3 hours on cell phone ), the first level techs are pleasant, but literally can't do anything, including putting in trouble tickets or even getting a network tech involved without a managers approval.

The problems were all CO related as my neighbors were also out.

The 3 year wait for FIOS is now the reality a fast local internet to a slow national INTERNET, billing which has three different departments,which one of ALWAYS turn down credits over 50 bucks

When a customer of Brighthouse I always got billing resolved with one call, when they go DOCIS 3.0 I'll look into dumping FIOS, Verizon is totally out of control on the support and billing and now with two outages, I'll never get the TV service, as at least I still have TV with DTV when FIOS was down on Sunday

Update 11/15/2008

Service has been flawless. Thanks to Karl, I am on the 20/20 service now, I'm not in a bundle but due to the BBR and Karl, I'm getting credits so in effect I am getting a bundle discount.

Still using my own WRT54G and again the installation tech was great, my neighbor now has FIOS and did a similar install

One things I notice is the speed tests are useless for testing upload. I have no issue getting my rated speed using torrents and using Verizon speed test. but the fact is the Net is NOT wired for 20mbs upload from residential accounts.

Verizon has been easy to work with, again thanks to Karl, I have the local contacts and they have been fantastic in two minor billing issues ( getting charged for activation but came from DSL ) and the package change.

I'll keep milking the DTV thing until I won't get dinged canceling, currently I just call up to cancel and they keep giving me credits to stay and free movies, probably next year when the FIOS video issues are all address, I'll go triple or even quad play when Verizon finishes on buying Alltel, my current cell provider

Original Post:

Well today I got FIOS, 20/5 package and The Freedom Phone Package. I decided to wait on the triple play as I have monitored the BBR FIOS forums since day one and the Video issues still have problems ( mostly DVR issues ). I'm also under DTV contract and am happy with the service so I'll wait it out and then NOT have to give DTV 400 bucks to switch

The Tech was great!, On time, professional and installed exactly where I wanted it and we used my WRT54G as the router, never even took the Actiontech out the box. No issues, worked first try, my 3 year wait is over and couldn't be more pleased!

member for 10.6 years, 5142 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jackintosh11 See Profile

• Location: Philadelphia,Philadelphia,PA
Good "Reliable, fast, great price."
Bad "No data usage info, not available in all areas."
Overall "Get it if you can"

I ordered 75/35 internet, voice, and TV Extreme. The price is $180 a month with a HD box and a multiroom DVR, and includes a $250 gift card, and requires a 2 year contract. The order process was very simple over the phone. The installer arrived at around 9 AM of an 8 AM to 12 PM window. He left at about 2:30. It took about 3 hours to run the fiber cables and install the Optical Network Terminal. However, I live in a house where the lines loop around through a neighbor's backyard before coming to my backyard, so this process might be shorter depending on where you live. After the ONT was installed, the installer had to go to the neighborhoods fiber distribution hub to activate the line. When he got back, I went and set up the router while the installer prepared the cable boxes. The phone worked as soon as the line was activated. One of the TV boxes got messed up during a firmware update, and needed to be replaced. Fortunately, the installer had extras of every piece of equipment for this purpose. The TVs didn't take long to set up. The internet connection needed to be activated, and the activation was very quick. I highly recommend using your own wifi network if you have N wifi or better. If you use your own router, you may need to change it to use bridge mode or DHCP with addresses other than 192.168.x.x. The internet speeds are great, the quality of the TV is great, the voice line is nothing special, but the voicemail can be accessed online. The TV boxes are made by Cisco, the router is made by Actiontec, and the ONT is made by Alcatel-Lucent. I didn't order a backup battery but they gave me one for free. If you get internet speeds greater than 100 mbps, an ethernet line will most likely be used to connect your router to the ONT. Anything less, a coax connection will be used if it exists. If you have old or low quality coax lines, you might need to get those replaced.

Comments:
TL

join:2014-03-22
Broomall, PA

Too much!

Why would anyone pay that much money for that. You need to go to Comcast.

Review by somebodeez See Profile

• Location: here
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "100% Fiber Optic Connection, wonderful speeds, No monthly caps"
Bad "Keep an eye out on your billing"
Overall "Haven't looked back since switching from Comcast"

The very moment I was aware that the service was available in my area, I ditched Comcast and switched to Fios. That was 2006 and so far to this day (March 2014) I've been very happy