Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1911 reviews (1452 good) (133 bad)

Review by geoclark See Profile

• Location: Newbury Park,Ventura,CA
Good "Flawless install - worked first time, fast internet, like the DVR"
Bad "Website and telemarket guys in competition with each other. As the price cranks up - I may go back to TWC"
Overall "Time Warner loses another long-time customer to FiOS"

I have been triple-bundled. Phone, TV & Internet all on one fiber and for one price.
We now have 50/30Mbit down/up speed - great and consistent.

The selling part of this service was a bit wonky. I thought I had put together a good package - but wanted some questions answered regarding the phone service. So, I called the 800 number and talked with a guy that wanted to sell and up-sell me on the phone. But, he had no answers for my few questions.
He kept telling me that he couldn't see the Verizon website and that he couldn't help me with questions about the website.
Turns out - he couldn't help with any questions.
Ended up "buying" from him for about the same price and with a DVR for a year.
Love the speed. Love the DVR. We now have caller ID on our phone - which we didn't have before - that's a good thing.
All in all -- a great change over from Time Warner/Roadrunner to Verizon FiOS.
We'll see what happens - price-wise - in a year or so.
Edit 11-29-2013 - the price has increased for my Triple-Bundle. Up to $155/mo.

member for 13.3 years, 2040 visits, last login: 2 days ago

Comments:

willspanku1

@verizon.net

We are not in competition against each other

It's not that we are in competition, it's that we have qouta's and do get bonuses for meeting or exceeding quaotas. I myself get annoyed if someone is savy enough and smart enough to place the order online but can't find the answers online and need to get help over the phone from a rep who will now spend time with you on the phone and won't get any incentive since you placed the order. That is like buying something online from a retailer but then going to the store and bothering a sales rep whom could be helping customers who are buying at the store which in turn could help with commissions

mixdup

join:2003-06-28
Calera, AL

Re: We are not in competition against each other

That's not the customer's problem. That's between the sales guy and the company. If it results in a poor experience for the customer, it's perfectly reasonable for the customer to complain about it.
patt2k

join:2009-01-16
said by willspanku1 :

I never place orders on the phone that is because reps over the phone never give me as good deal as I get online I don't know if you are a FIOS rep or TWC.

For fios I only get good deals online on the website.
Phone reps everytime give me higher prices.

Review by Sra_8000 See Profile

• Location: Westford,Middlesex,MA
Good "Excellent TV picture"
Bad "Internet overrated. Lousy customer service"
Overall "Happy to move back to comcast"

I had verizon FIOS for almost 2.5 years. While, I have no complaints about TV (Phone - I never bothered). The installation went smooth. The customer service was another thing. The internet connection always dropped. Never once saw a tech come to my house, even though a van was constantly in my neighbors house. Some times, they were downright condescending, like computers dont lie. I tried the argue that my computer has no problem with connecting to the router. But still there was no internet. But the tech argued, if my computer connected to the box there is internet. Another common nonsense they spout is that it was the first time they hear about the complaint. Again, I was not the only person to hear this nonsense. In the mean time, I was sold epix. The last straw was quantum for $69. After getting the service, I saw no improvement. I was so irritated and asked them to either send a new router or send a techie to take a look and once just run around refreshing signal etc etc. Finally, the icing on the cap happened, when the tech said, that they guarantee signal strength for 10 feet. I was by now paying almost $230. So I did not bother to call them to bargain or argue, but called Comcast (Trust me - not my first choice -but unfortunately the only other choice). In my old neighborhood, we had RCN - cheap and best. Comcast took care changing everything. I have called them twice in the last two to three months. A tech showed up in my home and on both occasion, my issues were resolved. I dont understand what people are complaining about Comcast customer service. I find it way better than FIOS.

Comments:

Vztechjoe

Data

Your telling us that you had all these problems and we never send a tech to your house? I guess the customers on Long Island reach a different department. First they troubleshoot by phone, then if that doesn't resolve the problem we are sent out.
Sra_8000

join:2013-11-25
Westford, MA

Re: Data

Nope. I think I am more hurt at the fact that I contacted FIOS as soon as I learnt FIOS is coming to my town. (In my previous home FIOS came to town, when I had listed my house and taken an offer) First, the posts went up and by the time they wired and provided us with connection, it took more than a year. I could not wait to connect to FIOS. I did not care about discounts or contracts etc. I took a no contract deal without any expectation/special rates. That is what bothered me the most. Anyways, thanks for responding.

Review by Libra See Profile

• Location: USA

Previously we had Verizon dsl and satellite tv. I was very satisfied with the dsl, but the Verizon bundles were very good.

We ordered Verizon fios triple play, which gives us internet, tv (the extreme plan) and digital voice phone. I'm not happy about the phone - you lose it in case of a bad storm, etc. but we have another copper line phone in the house.

The installation went pretty smooth. When I ordered it I wanted the newest DVR but the salesman told me I had to order that online for a fee. As the install was being done I tried to order the dvr and wasn't able to. I called Verizon and asked about this. They were very nice and told me they would waive the fee and get me the latest dvr, which they did. I was very happy about this. We had a problem with one tv and they sent someone out out very fast and he brought a newer version of the dvr for that set also. They were very good.

I have good speed and haven't had any problems with the fios internet. The only thing I've noticed is it changes the IP addresses for the computers. DSL didn't do this. I've gotten a notice from Windows twice saying the assigned IP belonged to something else. Windows fixed it immediately.

I'm very satisfied with Verizon fios.

The price I quoted includes some discounts for 18 and 24 months.

member for 10.7 years, 2142 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by suggy2004 See Profile

• Location: Conshohocken,Montgomery,PA
Good "Great installers"
Bad "none as of yet"
Overall "Great for the money & options"

Had Verizon DSL for EVER, no problems
Verizon rolled out Fios 3- 4 years ago, waited until now to sign up for it (Still to new)
They advertised there $99 for Quad play, I quickly jumped at it
From order to activation 4 day, order it online late Friday was able to get installed as early as Wednesday, b/c of work I opted for Thursday, Sent them an email they confirmed the date on Sunday
Details of my contract
Total $130.98 Not including fees

Internet is Rock Solid / Tv is Awesome / Phone is Crystal Clear

Rec'd a call the day before install - install take 4 -6 hours
rec'd a call day of - installers will be onsite 12:30 - 1:30
Installers showed up ontime, very professional , very helpful
They had it installed in an hour

member for 10.2 years, 601 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
suggy2004

join:2004-01-07

Grand Total : $178.29

Headed to Comcast / Xfinity for 2 years

Review by patt2k See Profile

• Location: Ridgewood,Queens,NY
Good "75/35 + Prime HD / after taxes n fees about 93$"
Overall "Glad I do not stand time warner anymore."

I switched from Time Warner Cable I had the 50/5 plan for 59$
the very next day when Time Warner sent me a letter , well not just me that they will be charging 3.95 modem rental fee I saw that Fios was at my adress so I few hours later ordered it!

Let's Compare:

TWC : 50/5 (59.99$)
Fios : 50/25 + TV , 79.99 (without taxes)

I am getting much better deal with FIOS even though bill is higher but I get more!

+100$ gift card after 3 months!

-- Upgraded to 75/35 (actual speeds are 84/35)
Customer service reps insisted they cant move over my 5$ discount but I went online and I could carry it over on the WEBSITE only.

With taxes it's 96$ for TV+75/35

_____________________________________________________
Since may 26 I am now in Brooklyn.

Had a outlet charge when it clearly said free had to go to Verizon forums and get that sorted out.

I am still on 75/35 , + Prime HD but not STB but cablecard rental.
After they fixed my bill it's about 93-94$ after taxes/fees.

July 16 2013
_________________________________________________
Got my fios 100$ gift card which is 2nd one. For re-bundling when moved and a contract. Time Warner guys were walking around my block just 2 days ago and trying to convince me and some other people to join TWC , well that didn't work.

Sept6 2013
______________________________

Had a tech yesterday to fix up low signal with the TV-Service it turned out my splitter and cables were crap.
My bill did go up because somehow there is more taxes in Brooklyn rather when I lived in Queens I basically had small amount of tax..

Promised rate is 84.99 + taxes so I pay 15$ just in taxes and fees.
Before adding STB : 100.11
After : I would expect about 107$
I still have cable card and stb now.

After contract ends will be cutting the cord unless Verizon does something about those fees.

Oct05 2013
______________

A kind of weird surprise but can't complain.
My price for 75/35 + Prime HD was 84.99
if I changed it to any other package for same packages I would pay 89.99
so my base price changed from 84.99 to 79.99 why? I have no idea?

I'm I happy? yes Thank you Verizon! for giving me such an amazing deal.
so on my next bill it will be 79.99 for double play 75/35+Prime HD.

November 17
____________________

3 Days ago I downgraded to Select HD because I barely watch tv..
My price was 79.99 , I was actually arguing with Verizon that my bill shows 79.99 but they were charging me 84.99.
I downgraded to Select HD + kept 75/35 and price was supposed to be 74.99 , but it's 69.99 it now shows that I have extra discount til November 2014.

I will also be dropping cable card so that is -5 buck because as I said lately I barely watch TV.

member for 5.2 years, 985 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dezmoduo See Profile

• Location: Oakland Gardens,Queens,NY
Good "reliable, consistant, fast"
Bad "none yet"

We had 5+ meg down with Time Warner/Earthlink. Our apartment complex was wired for fios very early and we have 3 machines that are in use most of the time.
Downloads don't affect the rest of the LAN anymore.
We don't experience and losses when everyone signs on after dinner like we did with cable.
Included our landline on the fios but NOT the TV. We're 20/5 basic service. Everyone is happy. Price? I dunno, my wife pays the bills. We also have data plans on 3 blackberrys with Verizon.
Yeah, we're addicted.

UPDATE: This summer (2013) we dropped some premium TV stuff, got 50/25 Quantum, and saved 30-40/month. The speeds are consistent and usually clock over the advertised rate. Upload by as much as 10MB.

Comments:

PamJ

Beeping Battery

Battery for FIOS system (located in garage) was beeping. Beeping means you need a new backup battery. (This one lasted less than 2 years.) Customer service at Verizon quoted $43.98 for a replacement battery. I got a lead on a site where I could get a battery for less. The battery cost me $20.99 with free shipping. There is only a one year warranty, but, at worst, you'd replace battery for still less than Verizon's price. Website: www.replaceupsbattery.com Chat feature on the site is a plus.

Review by Gman200108 See Profile

• Location: Glenmoore,Chester,PA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "Fast, reliable, good pings, no outages, great support & good price."
Bad "None."
Overall "Awesome service for a hardcore internet user, especially with high bandwidth usage applications."

Started out with the triple play bundle. 50/25 internet, HD TV (3 STB's), and digital phone.

Upgraded internet to 75/35.

Now upgraded to 150/65.

Ordering was simple, install took around 2 hours and we were up and running. Running on GPON, fast speeds, reliable, and low pings!
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3103635884

FiOS rocks!

Comments:

Review by miataman See Profile

• Location: Chelmsford,Middlesex,MA
Good "HD quality, good, but seems to be getting "crowded""
Bad "support services (beyond abysmal) but online chat is better. .TV channels suck"
Overall "Ultimate Employee discount is dealmaker for me"

As a former VZ / BA / NYNEX / NET C.O. technician (retired) I expected more from the service side of the house. my bad.

This is an update after a year. picture is great, awaiting new sware update, so can't comment on that. Billing-wise, I'm now into my 2nd week of trying to get my bill straightened out. I replaced a non-hd stb with a hd-stb. My bill arrived and it increased by $ 120.00 !!!!!. It looks like my Ultimate Employee discount was removed, and other services added. Having spent years in the muck with them, I know what's going on. I know the only way to get it straightened out is to "keep on keepin' on". A call or two every day, perhaps a stop by the local FIOS store, I'll wear 'em down eventually!

Update: 02/11/2012....
Took 3 bill cycles to straighten out. I have actually talked myself out of adding some premiums for fear they'll mess the billing up again!

Update 12/08/2012....
Billing has been much better for at least a year, I have made changes, and all flowed smoothly thru. Cost is getting up there, but I'm loving the IPad viewing APP. took long enough to get though.
The few service issues I've had were handled smoothly via online chat.

Update 11/15/2013...
Billing has been stable, even with "One-Pay". Picture quality seems to be less of a concern on Verizon's end, and 2-tuner DVR is just about obsolete.

member for 3.4 years, 1560 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

Update: 12/8/2012

The few service issues I've had were handled smoothly via online chat.
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

Review by banshee See Profile

• Location: Albany,Albany,NY
Good "For me so far everything"
Bad "nothing yet"
Overall "saving 60$ a month, with 50/25 speeds"

So far I'm totally satisfied with FIOS triple play and saving money too boot, at least for 2 years.. The speeds are great and HD nice and crisp, no rebooting my router and TV box once a week like with Time Warner..

It's been a few weeks now, this has been a dream for me, everything just works. The sales person that sold me the package called too see how everything was, that surprised me.. I don't have anything bad too say about Time Warner except too say no more rebooting my box or router and if you live in the Albany area and have a chance too get FIOS, jump at it.. I have the 50/25 package and my download & upload speeds have been right on with much better upload than advertised..

It's been awhile now, still happy with my service and speed. It's more than the speed I'm happy about, one of my neighbors stopped by the other night, he said my SD channels are as clear as his HD channels . He also loved the speed of changing stations on the remote, he also is paying 54$ more than me, but he also has 1 more premium (Showtime) than me. FIOS around me has helped the Time Warner customers, prices has gone down and their speeds has gone up.. Any TW users reading this, better speed and better TV makes for a happy customer.

member for 310 days, 465 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Fishead1
join:2001-05-08
Bronx, NY

Price?

Where you already a Verizon customer?Depending on what TV package you got that price seems a bit steep.
I know if you were just getting started with them they offer a great triple play package down here in the Bronx.
I was able to get 50/25 internet,Phone,and Prime TV package(which is all I need) for $ 82 @ month and a $200 debit card.Contract os for 2 years.
banshee

join:2013-06-17
Albany, NY

Re: Price?

They said 121 or there abouts but after the tax the includes Cin HBO, rental of the boxes, I got the extreme package, I was paying 236 with Time Warner.
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

Stb

Yea probobaly because he is renting few stbs then add taxes etc..

Review by rcdj See Profile

• Location: Catonsville,Baltimore,MD

My service states i should have a download speed of 50Mbs and an upload speed of 25Mbs... According to the test numbers received here on DSLREPORTS.COM, I'm no where close to the advertised speed.

Comments:
propcgamer

join:2001-10-10

Re: Speed

Use a more reliable site like speedtest.net

Vztechjoe

Speed

Also make sure you are connected to the router by Ethernet cable for accurate results. Wifi results are effected by quality if NIC card, distance to router, etc. Best website is speed test.verizon.net.