Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1929 reviews (1456 good) (140 bad)

Review by bob1954 See Profile

• Location: Hackensack,Bergen,NJ
Good "Great value for money, great hd picture, Internet fast, clear phone line."
Overall "If Fios is available in your area do not hestitate and get it..."

Well I was a Cablevision customer for many years and satisfied most of time but with Fios I choosen the Ultimate HD with the 35/35 Internet and the home phone line for 120.00 per month with no contract and the price is good for 24 months. With these services I also have multi room DVR for life for as long as I keep all 3 services. The speed I am receiving now is 43 / 35 and I very happy because this is the speed I receive any time of the day, which was a problem with Optimum. The wireless router is a plus..I will keep you updated as time goes on.

This is just an update of the services I have, and I really don't have anything to add to my review.. The services have been flawless and I couldn't be any happier..I would highly recommend Fios to anyone that can receive it...The phone service is crystal clear, and the TV has a great HD picture, and the internet is always 43megs down and 35 megs up...

06/20/12: Renegoicated by Fios deal so I can get the new speeds, which for me now is 84megs down and 37mes up. I still have all the channels plus all the HD Channels...No visit was required, and everything was done as promissed...If this service is available to you, there is no other choices...Recommend highly...

I am still very well pleased with the service and speed, but the only thing I would like to see them do is add more HD channels..

05/28/2014 Well I am still pleased with my Fios.. I was Cablevision customer for many year before Fios and Cablevision is a good company, but when the people came home from work, the internet took a dive downward.. I can't say that about Fios it is the same speed all the time 75/35 and with Netflix it works and performs very well for me.

member for 14.4 years, 4507 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
ExtremeRFR

join:2005-05-13
West New York, NJ

1 recommendation

Multi Room DVR RULES

In order to keep the MultiRoom DVR, you must keep your services active and uninterrupted. Meaning if you are late on a payment kiss your Multi Room DVR Free for Life GONE! Set up automatic payments so you can keep your DVR monthly fee FREE. Or pay each month and not pass the Date Due. Just to let you know. I was reading the fine prints. Good luck and enjoy your FiOS! I've been a customer for over 2 years. I love their services!

Review by FDM80 See Profile

• Location: Silver Spring,Montgomery,MD
Good "Very Reliable"
Bad "Price has increased 57% since original installation."
Overall "Acceptable service but has been uncompetitive on price over the last few years."

15/5 @ $63 per month.

member for 13.1 years, 4573 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Cholofrances

@216.223.27.x

Internet is slow at night

While I am playing video games at night and trying to do my work I get a really high ping and afterwards I lag

Boss Playa

@72.185.175.x

Re: Internet is slow at night

They have a deal going in florida right now 50/25 and cable with over 250 channels and HBO or Showtime for 70 after taxes

Review by Xela19115 See Profile

• Location: Richboro,Bucks,PA
Good "The service is solid, Internet is fast, video PQ is great"
Bad "Installation department and customer service need to have a better coordination"
Overall "Great value for the money"

The service seems to be fast and stable. Ping numbers are low, well at least compared to Comcast. And it is fast. I have not done any tweaking yet... Just got installed a few days ago.

Update: 5/14/2014: Still great service at a decent price.

member for 13.9 years, 3399 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by tippboogie See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY

·Verizon Online DSL
Not one single problem. Glad I made the switch.

Comments:

Review by gateguy See Profile

• Location: Reisterstown,Baltimore,MD
Good "speed speed speed"
Overall "I absolutely love it"

My install was performed last April. I had selected the 15/15 plan. The presales communications were frequent, but sometimes confusing. I had received emails that had three different installations dates. I was asked if I wanted to keep my same phone number (why after having it for 18 years would I want to change it)

The installation went smoothly.

I had since upgraded to the 20/20 plan. Initially they downgraded me to the 10/2 plan (how the rep selected the wrong option is beyond me). But waited for the order to complete and then replaced the order for the correct speeds.

I normally see 2.52MB up and down.

[update 8/6/2009] Still loving the Fios. Not too happy with all the sales calls trying to get me to 'upgrade'.

[update 9/24/2010] My FIOS service was upgraded today (yet again!). I now have the 35/35Mb internet connection. I have the Ultimate TV package and the Freedom Essentials telephone. My new price is $79 per month. Gotta love it.

[update 10/4/2012] Still loving the Fios. Now I am getting the 50/25 package. I did have to have the battery/charger system replaced. The guy came out the same day (on a Saturday).

[update 05/07/2014] I still enjoy my Fios. There are times though that the peering issues Verizon is/was having with NetFlix are causing issues. But overall it has been a very rock solid service.

Comments:

Review by Rick4769 See Profile

• Location: Buffalo,Erie,NY
Good "Fast reliable internet speeds, excellent SD & HD TV & digital phone"
Bad "Needs to add a few more HD channels"
Overall "FIOS is outstanding compared to my previous provider Time Warner."

I opted for the Ultimate TV package with all the premium channels, 75/35 internet and the digital phone with battery backup. In addition I also ordered two DVR's. Shortly, I will be receiving a $400.00 Visa card for signing up for the Ultimate package which was the icing on the cake.

The install was very professional with ethernet connections on all areas. I did not opt for the WiFi connection as I wanted to be hard wired. The FIOS technician was very helpful and explained everything aspect of the install to us. The entire time for install was about 3 1/2 hours. The tech went over all the features on the remotes and the DVR boxes. FIOS is far superior to my previous provider Time Warner as far as television picture quality in SD as well as HD. The interactive guide on the Cisco DVR's were greatly advanced as compared to Time Warner's. Now I know why people rave about FIOS. One issue I had with Time Warner was their digital phone going out when there was a power outage. With Fios, I now have a battery backup with the digital phone and won't lose my telephone connection in a power outage.

I would like to see FIOS offer more HD TV stations such as TCM, UP, Inspiration, Esquire, Longhorn and HLN to name a few. FIOS also needs to add the locals such as ION Network station, Retro TV and CBC Toronto.

I highly recommend FIOS as compared to cable television and now understand why so many subscribers like FIOS.

member for 1.7 years, 452 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Rick4769

join:2012-11-21
Buffalo, NY

Update 5/12/14

Received my Verizon FIOS $400.00 Visa card today two weeks ahead of schedule. I failed to mention in my review that the FIOS TV guide is far superior to my previous provider, Time Warner cable. Far more advanced and even had a search function TWC never had.

Review by Laszlo See Profile

• Location: Morrisville,Bucks,PA
Good "Speedy and reliable internet"
Bad "Terrible experience with billing when we had TV"
Overall "Great at just internet, bad with TV bundles"

We signed up for FiOS back in September 2006 as soon as it became available in our area. Our original speed was 5/2 for $34.95/mo. We had no issues at all with our service when getting simple internet access.

Several years later we added TV to our plan and had no end of trouble. Verizon seemed incapable of properly billing us, making mistakes on our bill for 6 out of 7 months! It was a horrendous experience calling up customer service monthly to clear up issues. The CSRs would always assure us our complaints would be resolved (and that credit for their mistakes would be issued on our next statement), but when the next bill arrived, it almost always repeated the same billing overcharge _and_ did not refund us as promised. When things were finally resolved, we cut the cord on TV entirely (and never again had a billing issue).

TV was also expensive, at $37 for 15/5 internet, $48 for TV Essentials, $6/mo rental for each STB, and ~$5 tax and Video Franchise Fee (plus around $20/mo from their myriad billing screw-ups and overcharges). From July 2010 until December 2013, our pricing remained at $54.99/mo for 15/5 internet. From January 2014, they jacked the price up 15% to $62.99 with no bump in service. If anything, our streaming at YouTube and Netflix has been degraded lately (all other sites seem unaffected). No doubt Verizon is trying to extract protection money to access their customers, like Comcast managed to do recently.

In 2013 we had to ask for a replacement router because ours was dropping signal. A replacement (an Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. F) was mailed out without issue. However, we would still intermittently have issues with the signal not reaching to all bedrooms, or slowdowns that required a router restart. We eventually bought our own (an Asus RT-N66U) and those problems largely disappeared.

____________
Timeline of complaints I submitted to the FCC and BBB regarding the billing debacle:

Nov - Made a call on 11/30/2009 to cancel the Games + Starz Play Pak trial (before the promotion deadline).

Dec - Charged $16 for Games + Starz Play Pak (this amount was never refunded). Tried unsuccessfully to cancel HBO trial online but changes would not save, so called in to cancel both HBO and Starz on Dec 2.

Jan - Charged $3.66 for HBO trial we'd also cancelled in time, $16 again for Games despite their previous assurance it would be removed (refunded only $12.67 of it in Feb), AND $8.99 for a Security/Backup plan that we'd never signed up for or been in a trial period for.

Jan 24 - Called to cancel them, again.

Feb - HBO cancellation again not honored, with $22.59 in new charges. The "Internet Additional Services" from Jan refunded (erroneously called "Adj FiOS TV Equipment").

Feb 12 - CSR told us HBO would be credited on next bill and canceled.

Mar - Refunded $25.65 of HBO charges

Apr - Billed $37 TWICE for FiOS internet service, the second time as an "Internet Additional Service", even though we are enrolled in the Verizon Flex internet/TV bundle.

Apr 9 - Spoke with a CSR who acknowledged the error on April's bill and filed for a refund of $39.22 on May's bill. Asked to drop TV bundle back to just internet service. Told there would be a $179 early termination fee, but after consulting with a supervisor, said it would be waived. She said the fee would most likely not show up at all, but would review our bill to verify that or refund the fee if charged. At this point appears resolved after 2 hours 46 minutes spent on the phone with Verizon Customer service, and several hours more trying to decipher obfuscated & error-riddled bills.
____________

And, if you hadn't guessed, the $179 ETF _did_ show up on our next bill, though that was quickly resolved by calling back the senior supervisor.

To top it all off, when we had to return the set-top boxes, Verizon only sent us one return shipping box (we had 2 STBs). We gave the other one away on Craigslist rather than deal with Verizon customer service for one more minute. Needless to say, we have stayed far away from TV bundles ever since.

Comments:

Review by pnolte See Profile

• Location: Chino,San Bernardino,CA
Good "awesome speeds"
Bad "FiOS TV"
Overall "FiOS TV sucks "

UPDATE
I was one of the first adopters of FiOS. I have to say now all these years later that they are becoming Comtastic. I had an ongoing problem with their TV service for years and now they want me to pay to get a service working that I pay for. I am dropping their rating way down. Sorry FiOS but you are becoming like the rest.. a joke of your former self

Update

After four and a half years on FiOS, I have decided to add FiOS TV. I have them coming to install on 3/22/10. I was impressed with their phone service and will be dropping Directv after 15 years of service. I hope all goes well

Verizon FiOS TV was installed today 3/22/10. Getting used to the new menus on the tv. Directv was much cleaner and easier to use. The remote sucks as I have to control three devices. I have a TV, audio box and the DVR. I have to press a button to adjust the sound as the volume button on the remote only adjusts the TV. It is the little annoying things I am dealing with.

I never thought I would post anything bad about FiOS but their TV product SUCKS. Their DVR's have to be the joke of the industry. I am told I can record 20 hours of HD content yet when I have recorded 6 hours I am at 47% usage. They seem to promise lots but have nothing to show for it. The eSATA port on the back is restricted so you cannot even add a spare drive. I should have researched this before I made the decision to install FiOS tv.

_______________________________________________________________
All summer they (Verizon contractors) were tearing up the streets putting in orange conduits. I kept checking the FIOS web page and when it said it was available, I ordered it. I set the time and day for the install and Verizon was here at that time. I had a window of time to set up the install, the closest day was about four days out. I ordered a Friday install because I am off work that day.

The install took a few hours. Lots of equipment, all installed indoors in my garage. They ran the fiber under my driveway and sidewalk without even messing up a blade of grass. I didn't even know they did it. The line comes in at the same place as my old wires.

I ordered 15000 / 2000 for 44.95 on a year contract I just now got 14669 / 1824. I ordered it on the web page. They pulled my old dsl line and installed Ethernet to my home office and attached a router, a d-link dl-604. The installer hooked up his computer, got an IP address in the router and I am good to go. The router uses PPPoE but does not have a specific account name and password. I was told by tech support that I will keep the same IP address as long as I don't reboot the router.

I switched over to my Linksys WRT54G and connected using pppoe and it pulled down an IP and it was like I was never offline.

My phone service was also switched over the fiber line. I cannot tell the difference and my TV box dials out with out any problems.

If you can get FIOS, get it. If you can't ;(

After 2.1 years I finally had an outage. For about two hours tonight, I could not get an ip address. I called Verizon and spoke with some robot who walked me through some tests. It transferred me to a tech and I waited on hold for about and hour and a half before the line went dead. After calling back, I bypassed the robot then noticed my router picked up and IP address. Never did talk to anyone and the wait was horrible.

member for 14.8 years, 2582 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by GeekNJ See Profile

• Location: Waldwick,Bergen,NJ
Good "Fast and low latency"
Bad "Install was less then stellar"
Overall "Updated 11/2007 - Still fast and reliable"

·Optimum Online
Placed my order online on 10/29/05. Got an email confirmation on Monday 10/31. Selected install date of 11/9. Sunday before install 2 folks came and ran the fiber from the pole to my house. Weds comes and the tech shows up on time. Needs to replace the overhead wire the prev techs ran over the weekend because they used underground wiring and not overhead wiring. Gets the ONT installed and cuts over my phones before heading to lunch. After lunch he finishes the install and I check my speeds - 4mb down - no where near the 15mb speed. Techs think it's my computer, which it isn't. We swap routers, cables, etc. 2nd tech shows up and we use his computer - 4mb down still. We reboot the ONT, PON and Controller (I'm the only one on it they say). No luck. Set me to 30/5 - my upload increases but download still the same. Techs leave for the day.

Over the next week, nothing much happens other then one tech swaps out the ONT and tests the speed and it's still poor. I'm on with the Fiber Solution Center in Virginia each day making sure they are working on it. Always start out with "Are you sure it's not your computer..." and I cut them off. I tell them where there's packet loss, etc but it doesn't register. I was getting about 8% packet loss to my first hop after the Verizon supplied router.

I finally get a good rep that understands and becomes my advocate, along with a Verizon employee from this site. It took a couple more days but he got the right people involved and listening to what I was telling them. Even though they had already swapped my ONT, they came out again and did it a 2nd time. Absolutely no difference - a waste of Verizon's time and resources. They finally started paying attention to my info and though I've been told there were 20 people on a conf call the final day, some were still questioning if it was a customer issue. Silly wabbits! After a week, they determined the likely cause within the CO and scheduled an overnight outage to resolve it. I woke up the next morning and speeds were pushing 15mb.

Since the issue was resolved, things seem fine. I don't really need email or web hosting as I pay for my own domain and hosting. Newsgroups aren't really important to me.

I didn't have any issues on Optimum Online where my connection was stable and speeds were fine, but I felt it was worthwhile to switch to become familiar with the technology (probably got more of a lesson then most) as well as do what I can to make sure each company feels pressure from customers to keep things as competitive as possible.

I'll update as time goes on or as service changes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 9/24/06 - Service has been relatively flawless. I've bumped up the connection reliability to a 5. Still on PPPoE though they supposedly are looking to convert to all DHCP. Had a phone issue last week where we had no service. Had to call two times and took a day but they resolved it on their end. Something to do with a switching error. I'm leaving texh support as a 4 rating due to multiple calls needed on our part to resolve a Verizon issue. Verizon's mail has had some issues but I don't use it and only know because of posts here which I then check to see if I'm also impacted.

Service was upgraded to 20/5 and all seems fine, usually getting that speed consistently throughout the day. I'm not impacted by routing issues like some others in the northeast with routing going through Texas for more local requests.

Update 11/12/2007 - Have had FIOS Internet service for 2 years now and ongoing service has been extremely solid. No outages that I recall.

Phone service (POTS) remains solid and reliable. Much more reliable then my copper was. It would go out whenever they did work on the pole outside my house.

TV service has also been solid though HD content is lagging behind Cablevision at this moment. Announcements from Verizon indicate 2008 should bring more HD.

Update 4/26/14 - Switched back to Optimum saving $90/mo for same services with CV.

member for 13.9 years, 6913 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dalenchm0b See Profile

• Location: Staten Island,Richmond,NY
Good "It's fast. Wow, it's really fast!"
Bad "It's damn expensive. I'm lucky to have locked in 150/65 when it was first offered."
Overall "FiOS is great, but I just wish there was more competition to drive prices down."

Updated 4/24/14:

I upgraded to 150/65 after the monthly discounts I got ended, since the price difference between 25/25 and 150/65 was very little in comparison to the speed increase. The speed is out of this world! My download speed is so fast, I just delete games off my computer periodically and reloaded them from Steam when I'm feeling nostalgic, since it only takes a few minutes to download just about any game. I still don't have TV or phone through Verizon, but with OOMA for voice and an antenna + Netflix for TV + Movies, I'm covered.

The one thing I don't like about FiOS is that Verizon continues to raise the price for the service since there is no upper end competition. Hopefully with TWC upgrading their top tier speed to 300/20 in my area, Verizon will bump up the speed (plausible) or lower the price (highly unlikely).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------

FiOS was available for years in my county, and my neighborhood was wired up for at least two years before my building would get it. So, the delay was the franchise agreement that had to be drawn up between the building and Verizon. Long story short, the building was wired up during the summer of 2011 and service was activated in late January. As soon as the fliers appeared, I counted down the days that I would be rid of DSL and would jump on the sweet FiOS speedwagon.

Since I was already a Verizon customer, I was eligible to receive a discount on upgrading from the DSL/Phone bundle I had. As a result, my monthly fees, which totaled about 46 a month, would only increase by 5 dollars to 51 a month. That extra 5 dollars gave my 8 times the download speed and 32 times the upload speed (3 mbps / 768 kbps DSL ---> 25 mbps / 25mbps FiOS). Seemed fair to me!

Install date was on the 10th, and I heard from residents in the building that it took 4-5 hours to finish. However, because my run was simple, my fiber was strung up and I was speed testing in 45 minutes flat. The cleanup was another 15 minutes, the tech was in and out in 1 hour. Awesome.

The equipment has evolved from the large, bulky white boxes that contained the ONT and backup battery these small, sleek black boxes that do exactly the same thing, just in a smaller, easier to hide package. I didn't mount mine, it is just sitting on the floor tucked away somewhere.

The speed is insane, that's really all I can say about that. Once this promotional pricing ends, if the new price is substantially higher, I'll probably bundle and get TV to get a discount. But for now, the speed is great, and the price is even better.

Comments:
grapevine1

join:2012-02-11
76051-2637

After three years I've absolutely had it with FIOS.

My last test was down to 3mps per second. I pay for thirty. I'm constantly having to reboot, no longer even try to watch On Demand due to picture interupptions. When calling required to do software driven re-boots for twenty minutes before even allowed access to tech support where I get to go all through it again. Once it's up and running that's it ( until tomorrow where it starts all over again) Absolutely had it with Verizon looking for another provider and hopefully wont be paying nearly as much either !

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

Re: After three years I've absolutely had it with FIOS.

Uh grapevine, has ANY techs been out to repair? It sounds like you have a physical issue that cant be resolved by tech support. Get a tech out there so you can get your services working right.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
This does not mirror my experience with Fios TV & InterTUBES. I consistently get the speeds I've been promised, the HD picture quality is awesome, and my on demand experience has been great.

I'm not a fan of the new STB software, it's a little clunky on my box, but once what I want to watch is launched on my box, the picture quality is great.

The STB software could use some tweaking, but once you get to what you want to watch, it's great....
Petty people are disproportionally corrupted by petty power

Rokman1

@verizon.net

Re: After three years I've absolutely had it with FIOS.