Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1954 reviews (1463 good) (148 bad)

Review by dennismurphy See Profile

• Location: Parsippany,Morris,NJ
Good "Fast as hell, top-notch TV and voice quality"
Bad "Nada"
Overall "Still thrilled."

UPDATE: December 2014:
My 75/35 package is now 75/75, routinely overprovisioned to 85/85. FiOS STB's are nearly perfect - and the phone service works. Nearly as perfect a triple play as is possible!

UPDATE: OCTOBER 2013:

Still thrilled with FiOS. Upgraded my Internet package to 75/35 service, dropped one of my phone lines, and I'm still very happy with it. Rock on.

------
I moved into a new home this past July (2011) and decided it was time to ride the light -- welcome to Verizon FiOS.

After some initial SNAFUs regarding my order and phone service (they lost my old phone number in the process), the service is up, running, and fantastic.

I have the 25/25mbit package, along with 2 FiOS Digital Voice phone lines and FiOS TV service.

Excellent quality all around! The Internet service clocks in consistently at 30mbit down/25mbit up (yes, over my rated speed!), and the voice product is excellent. I'm probably least happy with FiOS TV, but that doesn't mean I'm unhappy, just that I've been spoiled by a bakers' dozen years with DirecTV. I get occasional picture glitches which have been attributed to a bug in the set-top box firmware. Hopefully the VZ folks fix that soon.

I did manage to get in on the "Free Multi-Room DVR for Life" promotion, as well as a free SD set-top box. So, even with 3 DVRs and two additional STB's in the house, and a second phone line, I'm still saving $90/month over what I was paying for Optimum Online, Optimum Voice + DirecTV. I'm happy to have more than $1,000 extra in my pocket every year.

Overall, I miss my DirecTV for television, but I'm coping with FiOS TV (I miss it, but I'd miss the $1,000 more!) The rest, however (Internet and Phone) are absolutely top notch!

Good stuff - the billing is convoluted, and you have to stay on top of it, but once it 'settles in', everything is good.

member for 12.2 years, 5480 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by grobinette See Profile

• Location: Springfield,Fairfax,VA
Good "Insanely Fast Internet and Dynamite Audio and Video"
Bad "Did not like the option offered for where the power supply was installed"
Overall "Good value for the money"

So I dropped my DSL provider that I have had for five years and switched. The install period would have been as short as 10 days but because I wanted the FIOS TV service and my availability to be off from work, the install period had to be extended.

30Mbps down 5 Mbps up is insanely fast and I am meeting or surpassing the download speeds and just under the advertised speeds - 31100 down and 4599 up with Speakeasy's WDC test. I had not run a lot of speed tests for a while but these are fun.

The installer did not want to put the power supply in a location in the laundry room where it would have been completely out of the way. This is a minor issue but bothersome because a different installer did take the time to locate the power supply in the same area I had initially chosen in a neighbor’s house. Admittedly, putting the power supply in my preferred location would have taken way more time and involved a lot of blind fishing through a chase from the outside, but there is an obvious difference between what their installers will do for you.

Both inside and outside cabling was done neatly but inside cabling is exposed.

Regardless, both installers did a neat job, wore shoe covers when they went outside and came back in, cleaned up most of their debris from the installation and were courteous and friendly. I did get two installers, one who was familiar with the internet portion and one who did the television portion.

Other things the site asks for:

Home equipment is the Actiontec wireless router.

The router is configured nicely out of the box, because it forces you to change the default user name and password on initial access and has some fairly decent default security settings for the wireless.

DHCP Dynamic IP

There is no need to install the Verizon supplied software beyond the initial setting up your account process. To see how it would go - I opted to use their configuring software for Outlook Express and was given an unpleasant surprise of having additional software downloaded and installed that I was not informed of or given the ability to opt out. That was not really necessary and not a good practice in my opinion. They also offer optimizer software to reset your RWIN for the higher speeds, but it is also not necessary as you can do the same with DrTCP.

Overall a fairly good experience.

So, I've had Verizon for a little over a year now and things are going well. I did have one instance where I lost all connectivity (Phone TV Internet) for 4 days. The coordination between customer service and getting a service call was atrocious. Many promises were made but it took from Friday until Tuesday afternoon to get service back. After 3 hours of diagnostics and head scratching on my ONT the tech discovered that it was self inflicted by another Verizon tech, who during a separate install moved my connection because it was in the way and did not put it back right.

My Actiontec router lasted a whopping 14 months and then it got the LAN jitters. All LAN lights flickering like everything on the network was talking to it but no action.

Wireless and the TV portion of the service survived and to Verizon's credit they dropped a replacement router on my doorstep the next morning. It was configured for PPPoE but a phone call, a hard reset and a release of the IP address fixed that.

So, I am still pleased with the overall triple play bundle except that they have dropped the 30/5 package I have. So far they have not bugged me about it and I am still running at that speed. A few minor price increases in the STB and a service here and there. To put them in perspective comparing them to the increased cost of gasoline, it's been minor.

Working on my third router since I've had the service. First one lasted 14 months as stated above. This one lasted less than 10 months and the transformer went bad. I am disappointed that Verizon has partnered up with a company that cannot seem to provide decent quality equipment for them. If you have a wireless router I recommend keeping it around to fill the gap when your Verizon provided equipment craps out on you.

I had to switch my plan because I added a new HD STB and Verizon suggested that I could save some money due to the fact that I was out of plan. I went with the 25/15 internet service and took the HD Extreme package which added a bunch of HD channels that for the most part the better half would be interested in. My original download speeds had been sliding down to about 28MB download so it isn't much of a cutback.

For some reason Verizon bumped up my 25/15 service to 30/25 and maintained the price. Whatever, I'll take it.

3/12 - Working on my second renewal. I officially had to go to the 25/25 plan although I was already getting those speeds. Rebundled with digital voice because they were forcing me off of a legacy messge rate phone service and updated the HD plan to the current HD extreme to get a better discount. Verizon internet service has been great. TV service still has great picture and audio but I am not pleased with their lack of new HD channels or their bundling pricing tactics.

Capacity test statistics
------------------------
Download capacity: 25978112 bps
Download packets per second: 3247
Upload capacity: 23319880 bps
Upload packets per second: 2914
Quality of service: 98 %
Packet size: 1000 Bytes

Savings with the additional box and extra channels is about $15 per month. Still loving the service and if they will work with you on a plan that saves you a few bucks a month and give you more offerings with minimal change in internet speeds that's okay by me.

So everything seems to be going okay. I don't miss the HD channels they removed and don't watch the stupid channels they added. I do like the beefed up VOD selections on the premium channels. It makes paying for the premium channels worth it. For some unknown reason they upped my speed to 30 / 25 which puts me back to my original download more or less with a boatload more upload speed.
I suppose they discovered some surplus download and decided to share it.

So they system is bugging me again and all I can say is that I have dropped all the premium channels and the outrageous inside line maintenance cost on the phone to save some money. They want way too much for the premium channels but don't offer enough in HD to make it worth the expense. Switched to using Netflix and Vudu for movies and get better quality at a lower price. Verizon needs to pick it up and start pumping out more quality selections in HD.

»www.speedtest.net/result/3970250 ··· 0061.png

member for 14 years, 8353 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by FDM80 See Profile

• Location: Silver Spring,Montgomery,MD
Good "Very Reliable"
Bad "Price has increased 75% since original installation."
Overall "Acceptable service but has been uncompetitive on price over the last few years."

15/15 @ $70 per month.

The service in and of itself is fine. The issue is the cost for what really amounts to the same old service continues to climb.

member for 13.6 years, 4831 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Cholofrances

@216.223.27.x

1 recommendation

Internet is slow at night

While I am playing video games at night and trying to do my work I get a really high ping and afterwards I lag

Boss Playa

@72.185.175.x

Re: Internet is slow at night

They have a deal going in florida right now 50/25 and cable with over 250 channels and HBO or Showtime for 70 after taxes

Review by sburkhardt See Profile

• Location: Huntington Beach,Orange,CA
Good "Ordering and installation were smooth - BUT!!!!!!"
Bad "Outdated equipment in building means FIOS Lite and SLOW speeds - Verizon lies about their rates"
Overall "They are being fired in one week. "

Ordered the highest TV package and wanted high speed internet. Getting the TV was not a problem but caps in my building are 30/5 on the internet. Apparently Verizon does not want to upgrade their cabinets. I have a coax and copper drop into the unit. Verizon utilized both. I have TV coming in through the coax (attached to their router which provides internet to the boxes) and internet through an ADSL modem attached to the copper. Tee ADSL modem then attaches to their router to supply internet to the boxes as well as supply the routing for the data. This explains their cap of 30/5 do to the use of the old copper. I do not understand why they could not send everything through the coax with higher throughput? Their competition, Time Warner, is now offering 300/20 service to my unit through the coax. The drawback is dealing with Time Warner and FiOS channel packages are better. I decided to go with the better TV worse data trade-off now, but with a 30/5 cap, i am still not sure I made the right decision. I was used to 75 down with Cox before I moved.

Install process went ok but took almost 4.5 hours. They had problems with syncing and activation on their end. It took two techs and quite a bit of time for them to get it all working. In the end everything worked. The installer was courteous and apologetic. FiOS also contacted me to rate the installation and make sure everything was working. If not I could contact the installer directly for resolution... a nice touch! Luckily everything functions as intended.

I stressed to Verizon sales that they REALLY NEED to address the service caps on my building. I would like to stick with them but the jury is still out in terms of which i can live without... higher speed or more channels/HD/Etc. I ended up paying a bit more per month not to be roped into a contract so I will not be penalized for dropping them... but will still be out the $70 or so in installation/activation fees. I don't think Verizon realizes that their competition is really pulling away in terms of speed! I thought FIOS was supposed to be fast... I think they need to rebrand this FiOS lite.

UPDATE (12-3-14):

After receiving my first bill I almost fainted. I fully expected to see below the line fees but they totaled more than $20 worth not including the taxes. In addition to the made up fees, i also was paying over $35 in equipment (2 boxes) and DVR charges. To top it all off the package was $20 higher than what they quoted on the phone originally. Of course Verizon now suffers severe amnesia regarding any of the previous conversation. Their total monthly charges are over $200 for their ultimate TV and 30/5 internet.

Unfortunately swallowed my pride and went crawling back to my only other duopoly choice TW and signed up for their preferred TV/phone/300mbps package which will come out to $170 per month with the taxes, equipment (including the need to rent their modem) and the estimated below the line fees. Hmmm... no real difference in channel line ups, added phone which I don't need (but that is a cheaper package than without) and get internet that is 10x faster (at least in marketed speed) than Verizon. All this through the same Coax that Verizon is currently utilizing.

The install is in a little over a week. I will let everyone know how it goes. The good news is I had to pay the first month in advance so at least I know I will not be overly shocked.

This information is not opinion... just the way it is. It just proves that in the Huntington Beach market there really is just no true competition. At least one of the carriers has some motivation to continue to ratchet up their data speeds (and charge the same rate that Verizon charges for 30/5).

Comments:

VashTS

@65.35.159.x

It Happens

Every building is different, if they are using ADSL for internet they either don't have the rights to use the coax, owner of the building wont let them run fiber to every unit, or its just to much of a pain or impossible to run fiber to every unit. 75 on cables not what its cracked up to be. I have it and I don't get the full download speeds, not just on speed test but using Usenet or FTP that can go 100 or faster! When I had Fios I got the full 75 down. Loved it! Wish I could get it again.
sburkhardt

join:2003-11-05
Indianapolis, IN

Re: It Happens

Not arguing the fact that they cannot run the fiber... my point is that they are utilizing BOTH the twisted pair copper AND the coax. There is no reason they couldn't run the data through the coax... they just choose not to. The coax is more than capable of handling the speeds. In fact since they are utilizing both the copper and the coax, i cannot have a second provider as there is only one drop of each into the unit... therefore i couldn't choose one provider for TV and the other for data.

VashTS

@65.35.159.x

Re: It Happens

They cant use the coax. Any coax running in the building is not theirs. Only the coax in your apt is "yours" all the lines leading up to your apt belongs to who ever ran them. Yupp is wrong and ITIALIAN926 is right. Many apts get fiber ran into the apt right to an ONT not an MDU. Even though MDUs come in different flavors, new buildings have eithernet and or coax for MDUs. Older ones get VDSL. Not a bad option just as long as the phone wire is in good shape.
OpTiC
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA
·T-Mobile US
·Charter
Get rid of the TWC modem and buy your own modem you will save 5.99. It would be a dual modem set up. You current modem has Internet disable and use another modem which is compatible like the Motorola SB 6183. Verizon Fios needs to lower their pricing. I also have Verizon Fios as a option up to 500/500 but I would pay for that if it's under $150. Once Comcast takes over TWC I would be with Verizon Fios for internet and phone. Comcast for only TV.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

Re: It Happens

Comcast for TV over FioS? Thats funny.
OpTiC
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA
·T-Mobile US
·Charter

Re: It Happens

I rather have that because Comcast do have Jade and Verizon has the e Version of it. I don't want that because my whole family likes to watch that channel. Here is a wiki article about it. Never mind I just found out that Verizon just got it. I might reconsider Verizon Fios TV. If Verizon has Tivo On Demand just like Comcast I will get Verizon Fios.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jadeworld_ ··· 28USA%29

Yuup

@75.80.242.x
Verizon doesn't run fiber to every apartment anyway, Their MDU Fios is just like a standard cable company. sburkhardt has a a point, they need to rebrand it to Fios lite when it comes to complexes.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

Re: It Happens

Theres plenty of complexes that get fiber all the way to the prem.

Review by nasadude See Profile

• Location: Rockville,Montgomery,MD
Good "speeds improved to be symmetric; was 50/25, now 50/50 but get closer to 60/60"
Bad "still not cheap but paying less because we dropped to lowest TV tier, no movies"
Overall "pretty much bulletproof except for one brief period"

since last review, dropped from having all movie channels to lowest TV tier, cost went from $209/mo to 102/mo. Catalyst for change (aside from realizing movies channels, HBO etc., weren't worth the money) was new "sports fee" of $2.xx that showed up on bill; when that happened we dropped to tier without sports.

when change was made went from 25/10 speed to 50/25 speed (a few bucks more), now speeds are symmetrical at 50/50; speed test consistently shows closer to 60/60.

Still haven't had any significant issues (except one brief period) since FIOS was installed.

member for 13.4 years, 4475 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by aquacalc See Profile

• Location: Hoboken,Hudson,NJ
Good "didn't have a disruption in service since day 1 (almost 24 months now)"
Bad "customer service and technical support are nearly useless"
Overall "quality of service is better than Cablevision"

All in all for the past two years the Verizon FIOS internet service was excellent.

That said, a few months ago, I had decided to connect my own router (ZyXel USG200) directly to LAN port on the Verizon FIOS panel, in order to bypass Verizon MI424WR router. Verizon support personnel was ineffective to say the least -- I went through at least six technicians (and at least as many customer service representatives, including the Verizon retention department).

Finally, I got to one very good and very bright guy who was able to activate my LAN port on the FIOS panel within ~15 minutes.

member for 111 days, 102 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

VZKid

@108.28.109.x

Moca to Ethernet

That ONT port is only supposed to be changed for internet tiers of 150mbps or more which is why you were unable to get anyone to help you. Sounds like someone went against Verizon policy and switched you from Moca to Ethernet.

aquacalc
join:2014-11-08
Hoboken, NJ

Re: Moca to Ethernet

Good to know -- Thank you!

Review by Mike See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA
Good "Installer was good, far better than Comcast in ever regard. Performance and quality is so much better."
Bad "A lot of rare HD channels that no one wants instead of other useful HD"
Overall "Bye Comcast. Hope to never see you again"

Finally. After as long as fiber has been out I can finally get the thing.

I got a call one night that the fiber was lit up on my street and placed an order on the spot. I'm getting Digital Voice (VOiP), IPTV, and Data - 25m/15m.

5 days later the installer showed up, cut down the copper, put up aerial fiber, and hooked up everything.

I get a call at 9:25am that the fellow will be out here (one guy) to do everything. He shows up at 9:45am since traffic was good.

He's based about 20 miles away to the north. Everything is going to go off of coaxial. ONT / Power will be inside.

I showed him the ropes he said it isn't going to be too bad.

Now the fun starts.
Verizon isn't even good to Verizon.

None of us could see the fiber drop. He went to the back alley then lit up a cigarette. Can't see anything. He picks up his cell and is on hold for like 15 minutes.

Apparently the initial fiber lay is about 200 feet too short so he's going to have to go back to his depot, pick up a terminal, a line truck, and then extend the fiber, install a terminal, THEN he can tear down the copper.

Estimated time to completion - 7 hours.

This is turning really, really bad.

So after he comes back he clips the copper, runs the fiber, runs everything.

Now the configuration part... yeah not so much.

The HD box and one standard was DOA so he got another of each and each worked. He said a lot of these are DOA.

The Motorola 7100 HD and apparently any Onkyo product = instant green screen because of a parity bit error because "there is no HDMI standard" according to the installer.

So you can't quite use HDMI sound. You need to use optical out. He gave me an optical cable and said have fun and peaced out.

As of now the IMG is release - 1.6.2, Build 08.58, QIP-7100 PI.

I did have to call Verizon tech support because the installer locked me out of my new FiOS router - Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. D (Taiwan).

However, I would like to give one last big FU to Comcast. It took 35 minutes to cancel my account. I was transferred 4 times and the last guy who actually claimed to cancel gave me lip for a good 5 - 10 minutes about how it was a bad mistake and tried to FUD Verizon. What an ass.

03-01-2010 update

My firmware is now 1.7.1 and I changed a standard box to a HD box. That fixed all HDMI problems with the Onkyo.

10-04-2012

Completely solid. 5 hours of downtime in 2 years. Not bad. A shame that the roll-outs have stopped.

---

11-21-2014

It still works great. I have no complaints. I added a third party Asus RTN66U wireless router and turned off the Actiontec wireless. The range and performance is better.

member for 14.4 years, 7882 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

tp0d
yabbazooie
join:2001-02-13
Carnegie, PA

roll outs havent stopped.. theyre building mt washington now. (mebe you meant somewhere other than the burg?)
if it aint broke, tweak it!!
currently on FiOS (kick aZZ!)

Review by Eebobb See Profile

• Location: Floral Park,Nassau,NY
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "It works and doesn't have much downtime"
Bad "It sucks for gaming and thats what I got it for and they overbill me 4 months in a row. Too expensive $157 for basic triple play"
Overall "Stay away from them if you game and want a good connection. Their tech support doesn't know anything about tech support"

Comments:
serge87

Truth

Bad routing and terrible gaming go hand in hand on Verizon and has been known for some time on here. It's unfortunate but that's how it currently is. If you want a decent gaming experience, seek a cable competitor if possible. If you do go this route, please let us know which ISP you go to and how it compares to Verizon.

Dolansux

@173.3.224.x

Re: Truth

If you want the truth, check out the average speed, ping and latency of any fios sub. If YOU had a problem it is very uncommon.

Re: Truth

You can have full speed verified by speed tests and still have packet loss.

Dolansux

@173.3.224.x

Re: Truth

So because YOU have packet loss, all Verizon FiOS is no good?

said by Dolansux :

So because YOU have packet loss, all Verizon FiOS is no good?

Do a search for problems gaming and Verizon FIOS. It's no good across the board...

Review by JoeIac See Profile

• Location: North Chelmsford,Middlesex,MA
Good "Internet is rock-solid"
Bad "Bill keeps creeping up, feel nicked and dimed, "
Overall "Waiting for a better alternative"

Update 11/19/14

Moved again, signed up for fios again (in December 2013, it took me a while to get back to this). Getting the hang of this now, got a nice deal on 150/75 so i was guaranteed Ethernet and GPON. Installer was fairly knowledgeable but had some issue activating the ONT, had to send someone else who replaced it with one of the "Router Looking" ONTs but that sits inside of a box in my basement. I've got the triple play with Phone, TV, and currently the 75/75 internet. I'd love to upgrade back to 150/150, but i would be looking at something like a $50 a month spike in my bill. I can't justify that. I also haven't been happy with the netflix performance the past couple of months which i do blame on verizon. It's much better now, finally but i'm not happy that netflix had to pay to improve service i already pay for. I'm getting more and more concerned about the direction that Verizon is taking. Between the alleged 10TB cap, the price hikes, the lack of interest in FTTH. I'm not as convinced that the service is worth it, but I love the reliability, and the upload speed. When my contract is up, we'll see what they offer and i might look into some sort of comcast / dual-wan setup, or dropping and giving comcast another try. I don't have any love left for Comcast, but i no longer think that verizon is any better. At this point it's just making a realtime call about which of the two is the lesser of two evils.

Update 3/19/2012

Moved locations, signed up for fios again, parents are still at the other house. with 35/35 connections at both places i can sustain a 4 MB/sec transfer between computers with my untangle /open vpn site to site setup. Still loving fios, the install here was much better, and makes up for the underground guys. the tech was helpful, a little messy, but i just let him do his thing and then once he left went ahead and switched to ethernet and installed my router. Still extremely happy.

Update 10/13/2010

Fios continues to be awesome, i dropped down to 25/25 (which has been 30/25 lately) and upgraded my router to an untangle server which currently has over 90 days of uptime, and the internet as far as i am aware has not gone down once in at least the past year.

Update 3/30/10

The service has stayed great, we have rebundled and get blazing fast 35/35 internet, in addition to more HD channels than we have any use for, and also added our verizon wireless account into the mix so all costs are included in the $420 / month figure (35/35 internet, tv with 5 stbs, phone, 1400 min wireless plan with 2 droids and a total of 5 lines)

Yes, $400 a month is extremely expensive, but their doesn't seem to be any relief in site on that front.

Original post from ~3/09:

Switched from Comcast ~9 months ago, and it was a great decision! Fios has proven better all around, with faster, more reliable internet, Great TV selection, a great Hi-Def multi-room DVR, and very good set top boxes!

We have the basic digital TV package and 20/5 internet, in addition to the standard phone offering, and overall everything is excellent, we have had one intermittent signal problem on some of our TVs, but Verizon was here the next day, and had to replace our ONT, but its been fine since. The router has worked well, i dont love it, but it hasn't been worth the effort of adding a 2nd router.

The only problem I've had so far with Verizon has been the installation coordination, from when they ran orange conduit everywhere (underground utilities here) until they ran fiber through it, until we were able to get Fios was a 2 year process, and our installation appointment was originally scheduled for January, but the ground was frozen so it had to be set back until May, but this was only realized when a tech arrived, and discovered that their was no fiber from the sidewalk to the house, and no way to get it there in the interim.

Overall, fios is great, and i'd recommend it to anyone, especially those who aren't stuck with underground utilities.

member for 5.9 years, 3067 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

hypocritemuc

@24.184.171.x

lesser of two evils?

Wow I find it amazing you slam Verizon for the Netflix deal, yet Netflix signed a deal with Comcast first, but somehow Verizon takes more heat for it. Also you're not happy with the price difference between 75/75 & 150/150, yet you would consider a downgrade with another carrier as ok.

Review by Modus See Profile

• Location: us
Good "Internet speeds are on point no fluctuation"
Bad "The hdmi cables they give are garbage! To get the most out of your Fios tv buy some better HDMI cables"
Overall "The Fios Tv service is also awesome it's such a big difference in comparison to cable tv"

I have since transitioned to a chord cutting life style. I don't have the Fios tv service anymore, I am now using my own router on the internet only service and i love it. The Fios tv service was great but i noticed that they were increasing the price every year and i thought to put a end to that which i did. The internet service so far still is great, plus i don't have my bill increasing every year which is nice.