Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1928 reviews (1455 good) (140 bad)

Review by FDM80 See Profile

• Location: Silver Spring,Montgomery,MD
Good "Very Reliable"
Bad "Price has increased 57% since original installation."
Overall "Acceptable service but has been uncompetitive on price over the last few years."

15/5 @ $63 per month.

member for 13.1 years, 4566 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Cholofrances

@216.223.27.x

Internet is slow at night

While I am playing video games at night and trying to do my work I get a really high ping and afterwards I lag

Boss Playa

@72.185.175.x

Re: Internet is slow at night

They have a deal going in florida right now 50/25 and cable with over 250 channels and HBO or Showtime for 70 after taxes

Review by Xela19115 See Profile

• Location: Richboro,Bucks,PA
Good "The service is solid, Internet is fast, video PQ is great"
Bad "Installation department and customer service need to have a better coordination"
Overall "Great value for the money"

The service seems to be fast and stable. Ping numbers are low, well at least compared to Comcast. And it is fast. I have not done any tweaking yet... Just got installed a few days ago.

Update: 5/14/2014: Still great service at a decent price.

Comments:

Review by tippboogie See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY

·Verizon Online DSL
Not one single problem. Glad I made the switch.

member for 12.7 years, 4522 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by gateguy See Profile

• Location: Reisterstown,Baltimore,MD
Good "speed speed speed"
Overall "I absolutely love it"

My install was performed last April. I had selected the 15/15 plan. The presales communications were frequent, but sometimes confusing. I had received emails that had three different installations dates. I was asked if I wanted to keep my same phone number (why after having it for 18 years would I want to change it)

The installation went smoothly.

I had since upgraded to the 20/20 plan. Initially they downgraded me to the 10/2 plan (how the rep selected the wrong option is beyond me). But waited for the order to complete and then replaced the order for the correct speeds.

I normally see 2.52MB up and down.

[update 8/6/2009] Still loving the Fios. Not too happy with all the sales calls trying to get me to 'upgrade'.

[update 9/24/2010] My FIOS service was upgraded today (yet again!). I now have the 35/35Mb internet connection. I have the Ultimate TV package and the Freedom Essentials telephone. My new price is $79 per month. Gotta love it.

[update 10/4/2012] Still loving the Fios. Now I am getting the 50/25 package. I did have to have the battery/charger system replaced. The guy came out the same day (on a Saturday).

[update 05/07/2014] I still enjoy my Fios. There are times though that the peering issues Verizon is/was having with NetFlix are causing issues. But overall it has been a very rock solid service.

Comments:

Review by Rick4769 See Profile

• Location: Buffalo,Erie,NY
Good "Fast reliable internet speeds, excellent SD & HD TV & digital phone"
Bad "Needs to add a few more HD channels"
Overall "FIOS is outstanding compared to my previous provider Time Warner."

I opted for the Ultimate TV package with all the premium channels, 75/35 internet and the digital phone with battery backup. In addition I also ordered two DVR's. Shortly, I will be receiving a $400.00 Visa card for signing up for the Ultimate package which was the icing on the cake.

The install was very professional with ethernet connections on all areas. I did not opt for the WiFi connection as I wanted to be hard wired. The FIOS technician was very helpful and explained everything aspect of the install to us. The entire time for install was about 3 1/2 hours. The tech went over all the features on the remotes and the DVR boxes. FIOS is far superior to my previous provider Time Warner as far as television picture quality in SD as well as HD. The interactive guide on the Cisco DVR's were greatly advanced as compared to Time Warner's. Now I know why people rave about FIOS. One issue I had with Time Warner was their digital phone going out when there was a power outage. With Fios, I now have a battery backup with the digital phone and won't lose my telephone connection in a power outage.

I would like to see FIOS offer more HD TV stations such as TCM, UP, Inspiration, Esquire, Longhorn and HLN to name a few. FIOS also needs to add the locals such as ION Network station, Retro TV and CBC Toronto.

I highly recommend FIOS as compared to cable television and now understand why so many subscribers like FIOS.

member for 1.7 years, 447 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Rick4769

join:2012-11-21
Buffalo, NY

Update 5/12/14

Received my Verizon FIOS $400.00 Visa card today two weeks ahead of schedule. I failed to mention in my review that the FIOS TV guide is far superior to my previous provider, Time Warner cable. Far more advanced and even had a search function TWC never had.

Review by Laszlo See Profile

• Location: Morrisville,Bucks,PA
Good "Speedy and reliable internet"
Bad "Terrible experience with billing when we had TV"
Overall "Great at just internet, bad with TV bundles"

We signed up for FiOS back in September 2006 as soon as it became available in our area. Our original speed was 5/2 for $34.95/mo. We had no issues at all with our service when getting simple internet access.

Several years later we added TV to our plan and had no end of trouble. Verizon seemed incapable of properly billing us, making mistakes on our bill for 6 out of 7 months! It was a horrendous experience calling up customer service monthly to clear up issues. The CSRs would always assure us our complaints would be resolved (and that credit for their mistakes would be issued on our next statement), but when the next bill arrived, it almost always repeated the same billing overcharge _and_ did not refund us as promised. When things were finally resolved, we cut the cord on TV entirely (and never again had a billing issue).

TV was also expensive, at $37 for 15/5 internet, $48 for TV Essentials, $6/mo rental for each STB, and ~$5 tax and Video Franchise Fee (plus around $20/mo from their myriad billing screw-ups and overcharges). From July 2010 until December 2013, our pricing remained at $54.99/mo for 15/5 internet. From January 2014, they jacked the price up 15% to $62.99 with no bump in service. If anything, our streaming at YouTube and Netflix has been degraded lately (all other sites seem unaffected). No doubt Verizon is trying to extract protection money to access their customers, like Comcast managed to do recently.

In 2013 we had to ask for a replacement router because ours was dropping signal. A replacement (an Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. F) was mailed out without issue. However, we would still intermittently have issues with the signal not reaching to all bedrooms, or slowdowns that required a router restart. We eventually bought our own (an Asus RT-N66U) and those problems largely disappeared.

____________
Timeline of complaints I submitted to the FCC and BBB regarding the billing debacle:

Nov - Made a call on 11/30/2009 to cancel the Games + Starz Play Pak trial (before the promotion deadline).

Dec - Charged $16 for Games + Starz Play Pak (this amount was never refunded). Tried unsuccessfully to cancel HBO trial online but changes would not save, so called in to cancel both HBO and Starz on Dec 2.

Jan - Charged $3.66 for HBO trial we'd also cancelled in time, $16 again for Games despite their previous assurance it would be removed (refunded only $12.67 of it in Feb), AND $8.99 for a Security/Backup plan that we'd never signed up for or been in a trial period for.

Jan 24 - Called to cancel them, again.

Feb - HBO cancellation again not honored, with $22.59 in new charges. The "Internet Additional Services" from Jan refunded (erroneously called "Adj FiOS TV Equipment").

Feb 12 - CSR told us HBO would be credited on next bill and canceled.

Mar - Refunded $25.65 of HBO charges

Apr - Billed $37 TWICE for FiOS internet service, the second time as an "Internet Additional Service", even though we are enrolled in the Verizon Flex internet/TV bundle.

Apr 9 - Spoke with a CSR who acknowledged the error on April's bill and filed for a refund of $39.22 on May's bill. Asked to drop TV bundle back to just internet service. Told there would be a $179 early termination fee, but after consulting with a supervisor, said it would be waived. She said the fee would most likely not show up at all, but would review our bill to verify that or refund the fee if charged. At this point appears resolved after 2 hours 46 minutes spent on the phone with Verizon Customer service, and several hours more trying to decipher obfuscated & error-riddled bills.
____________

And, if you hadn't guessed, the $179 ETF _did_ show up on our next bill, though that was quickly resolved by calling back the senior supervisor.

To top it all off, when we had to return the set-top boxes, Verizon only sent us one return shipping box (we had 2 STBs). We gave the other one away on Craigslist rather than deal with Verizon customer service for one more minute. Needless to say, we have stayed far away from TV bundles ever since.

Comments:

Review by pnolte See Profile

• Location: Chino,San Bernardino,CA
Good "awesome speeds"
Bad "FiOS TV"
Overall "FiOS TV sucks "

UPDATE
I was one of the first adopters of FiOS. I have to say now all these years later that they are becoming Comtastic. I had an ongoing problem with their TV service for years and now they want me to pay to get a service working that I pay for. I am dropping their rating way down. Sorry FiOS but you are becoming like the rest.. a joke of your former self

Update

After four and a half years on FiOS, I have decided to add FiOS TV. I have them coming to install on 3/22/10. I was impressed with their phone service and will be dropping Directv after 15 years of service. I hope all goes well

Verizon FiOS TV was installed today 3/22/10. Getting used to the new menus on the tv. Directv was much cleaner and easier to use. The remote sucks as I have to control three devices. I have a TV, audio box and the DVR. I have to press a button to adjust the sound as the volume button on the remote only adjusts the TV. It is the little annoying things I am dealing with.

I never thought I would post anything bad about FiOS but their TV product SUCKS. Their DVR's have to be the joke of the industry. I am told I can record 20 hours of HD content yet when I have recorded 6 hours I am at 47% usage. They seem to promise lots but have nothing to show for it. The eSATA port on the back is restricted so you cannot even add a spare drive. I should have researched this before I made the decision to install FiOS tv.

_______________________________________________________________
All summer they (Verizon contractors) were tearing up the streets putting in orange conduits. I kept checking the FIOS web page and when it said it was available, I ordered it. I set the time and day for the install and Verizon was here at that time. I had a window of time to set up the install, the closest day was about four days out. I ordered a Friday install because I am off work that day.

The install took a few hours. Lots of equipment, all installed indoors in my garage. They ran the fiber under my driveway and sidewalk without even messing up a blade of grass. I didn't even know they did it. The line comes in at the same place as my old wires.

I ordered 15000 / 2000 for 44.95 on a year contract I just now got 14669 / 1824. I ordered it on the web page. They pulled my old dsl line and installed Ethernet to my home office and attached a router, a d-link dl-604. The installer hooked up his computer, got an IP address in the router and I am good to go. The router uses PPPoE but does not have a specific account name and password. I was told by tech support that I will keep the same IP address as long as I don't reboot the router.

I switched over to my Linksys WRT54G and connected using pppoe and it pulled down an IP and it was like I was never offline.

My phone service was also switched over the fiber line. I cannot tell the difference and my TV box dials out with out any problems.

If you can get FIOS, get it. If you can't ;(

After 2.1 years I finally had an outage. For about two hours tonight, I could not get an ip address. I called Verizon and spoke with some robot who walked me through some tests. It transferred me to a tech and I waited on hold for about and hour and a half before the line went dead. After calling back, I bypassed the robot then noticed my router picked up and IP address. Never did talk to anyone and the wait was horrible.

member for 14.8 years, 2577 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by GeekNJ See Profile

• Location: Waldwick,Bergen,NJ
Good "Fast and low latency"
Bad "Install was less then stellar"
Overall "Updated 11/2007 - Still fast and reliable"

·Optimum Online
Placed my order online on 10/29/05. Got an email confirmation on Monday 10/31. Selected install date of 11/9. Sunday before install 2 folks came and ran the fiber from the pole to my house. Weds comes and the tech shows up on time. Needs to replace the overhead wire the prev techs ran over the weekend because they used underground wiring and not overhead wiring. Gets the ONT installed and cuts over my phones before heading to lunch. After lunch he finishes the install and I check my speeds - 4mb down - no where near the 15mb speed. Techs think it's my computer, which it isn't. We swap routers, cables, etc. 2nd tech shows up and we use his computer - 4mb down still. We reboot the ONT, PON and Controller (I'm the only one on it they say). No luck. Set me to 30/5 - my upload increases but download still the same. Techs leave for the day.

Over the next week, nothing much happens other then one tech swaps out the ONT and tests the speed and it's still poor. I'm on with the Fiber Solution Center in Virginia each day making sure they are working on it. Always start out with "Are you sure it's not your computer..." and I cut them off. I tell them where there's packet loss, etc but it doesn't register. I was getting about 8% packet loss to my first hop after the Verizon supplied router.

I finally get a good rep that understands and becomes my advocate, along with a Verizon employee from this site. It took a couple more days but he got the right people involved and listening to what I was telling them. Even though they had already swapped my ONT, they came out again and did it a 2nd time. Absolutely no difference - a waste of Verizon's time and resources. They finally started paying attention to my info and though I've been told there were 20 people on a conf call the final day, some were still questioning if it was a customer issue. Silly wabbits! After a week, they determined the likely cause within the CO and scheduled an overnight outage to resolve it. I woke up the next morning and speeds were pushing 15mb.

Since the issue was resolved, things seem fine. I don't really need email or web hosting as I pay for my own domain and hosting. Newsgroups aren't really important to me.

I didn't have any issues on Optimum Online where my connection was stable and speeds were fine, but I felt it was worthwhile to switch to become familiar with the technology (probably got more of a lesson then most) as well as do what I can to make sure each company feels pressure from customers to keep things as competitive as possible.

I'll update as time goes on or as service changes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 9/24/06 - Service has been relatively flawless. I've bumped up the connection reliability to a 5. Still on PPPoE though they supposedly are looking to convert to all DHCP. Had a phone issue last week where we had no service. Had to call two times and took a day but they resolved it on their end. Something to do with a switching error. I'm leaving texh support as a 4 rating due to multiple calls needed on our part to resolve a Verizon issue. Verizon's mail has had some issues but I don't use it and only know because of posts here which I then check to see if I'm also impacted.

Service was upgraded to 20/5 and all seems fine, usually getting that speed consistently throughout the day. I'm not impacted by routing issues like some others in the northeast with routing going through Texas for more local requests.

Update 11/12/2007 - Have had FIOS Internet service for 2 years now and ongoing service has been extremely solid. No outages that I recall.

Phone service (POTS) remains solid and reliable. Much more reliable then my copper was. It would go out whenever they did work on the pole outside my house.

TV service has also been solid though HD content is lagging behind Cablevision at this moment. Announcements from Verizon indicate 2008 should bring more HD.

Update 4/26/14 - Switched back to Optimum saving $90/mo for same services with CV.

Comments:

Review by dalenchm0b See Profile

• Location: Staten Island,Richmond,NY
Good "It's fast. Wow, it's really fast!"
Bad "It's damn expensive. I'm lucky to have locked in 150/65 when it was first offered."
Overall "FiOS is great, but I just wish there was more competition to drive prices down."

Updated 4/24/14:

I upgraded to 150/65 after the monthly discounts I got ended, since the price difference between 25/25 and 150/65 was very little in comparison to the speed increase. The speed is out of this world! My download speed is so fast, I just delete games off my computer periodically and reloaded them from Steam when I'm feeling nostalgic, since it only takes a few minutes to download just about any game. I still don't have TV or phone through Verizon, but with OOMA for voice and an antenna + Netflix for TV + Movies, I'm covered.

The one thing I don't like about FiOS is that Verizon continues to raise the price for the service since there is no upper end competition. Hopefully with TWC upgrading their top tier speed to 300/20 in my area, Verizon will bump up the speed (plausible) or lower the price (highly unlikely).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------

FiOS was available for years in my county, and my neighborhood was wired up for at least two years before my building would get it. So, the delay was the franchise agreement that had to be drawn up between the building and Verizon. Long story short, the building was wired up during the summer of 2011 and service was activated in late January. As soon as the fliers appeared, I counted down the days that I would be rid of DSL and would jump on the sweet FiOS speedwagon.

Since I was already a Verizon customer, I was eligible to receive a discount on upgrading from the DSL/Phone bundle I had. As a result, my monthly fees, which totaled about 46 a month, would only increase by 5 dollars to 51 a month. That extra 5 dollars gave my 8 times the download speed and 32 times the upload speed (3 mbps / 768 kbps DSL ---> 25 mbps / 25mbps FiOS). Seemed fair to me!

Install date was on the 10th, and I heard from residents in the building that it took 4-5 hours to finish. However, because my run was simple, my fiber was strung up and I was speed testing in 45 minutes flat. The cleanup was another 15 minutes, the tech was in and out in 1 hour. Awesome.

The equipment has evolved from the large, bulky white boxes that contained the ONT and backup battery these small, sleek black boxes that do exactly the same thing, just in a smaller, easier to hide package. I didn't mount mine, it is just sitting on the floor tucked away somewhere.

The speed is insane, that's really all I can say about that. Once this promotional pricing ends, if the new price is substantially higher, I'll probably bundle and get TV to get a discount. But for now, the speed is great, and the price is even better.

Comments:
grapevine1

join:2012-02-11
76051-2637

After three years I've absolutely had it with FIOS.

My last test was down to 3mps per second. I pay for thirty. I'm constantly having to reboot, no longer even try to watch On Demand due to picture interupptions. When calling required to do software driven re-boots for twenty minutes before even allowed access to tech support where I get to go all through it again. Once it's up and running that's it ( until tomorrow where it starts all over again) Absolutely had it with Verizon looking for another provider and hopefully wont be paying nearly as much either !

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

Re: After three years I've absolutely had it with FIOS.

Uh grapevine, has ANY techs been out to repair? It sounds like you have a physical issue that cant be resolved by tech support. Get a tech out there so you can get your services working right.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
This does not mirror my experience with Fios TV & InterTUBES. I consistently get the speeds I've been promised, the HD picture quality is awesome, and my on demand experience has been great.

I'm not a fan of the new STB software, it's a little clunky on my box, but once what I want to watch is launched on my box, the picture quality is great.

The STB software could use some tweaking, but once you get to what you want to watch, it's great....
Petty people are disproportionally corrupted by petty power

Rokman1

@verizon.net

Re: After three years I've absolutely had it with FIOS.

Review by CapeFish See Profile

• Location: Wimauma,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Fast internet, good no contract triple play promotion, reliable so far"
Bad "Customer service still too complicated, TVEverywhere server, Nickel & dime you"
Overall "FiOS is a great product if you can get through the Verizon maze"

·Bright House
July 2013: I ordered FiOS 50/25 internet service online as part of a Triple Play that included TV and phone service. Install was the next day and went well...other than for some wiring labeling mix ups (brand new house) on the TV coax that caused signal issues. That was the fault of the home builder and not Verizon, though Verizon corrected them next day free-of-charge.

The tech installed an ONT on the side of my garage where the builder terminated the coax and two Cat-6 runs (one for internet and one for phone). A contractor did a nice job of trenching the fiber from the node in my side yard to the garage earlier in the morning. He used coax for the internet instead of the Cat-6, but this can be changed in the future as he prepared it for either a second phone line/alarm phone line or ethernet connection from ONT to router. My Actiontec gateway was installed and has worked flawlessly. The WiFi signal blankets my home and the ethernet drop to my office is great. Install took about 2 hours from arrival to departure.

One aspect of Verizon Florida's install is the installer leaves you their business card on a magnet for your fridge. I didn't realize you could call the installer directly for 30 days (or any repair after that) and they will try to make a house call to take care of it. Nice idea to not deal with Verizon's massive CSR phone maze.

I will note every Verizon employee I've spoken to on the phone told me where they were, with 90% being in Tampa and one I've spoken to in Texas. Thumbs up to having US-based support. The only ISP issue so far has been with Verizon's TVEverywhere server having an outage yesterday (no MAXGo, WatchESPN, or BTN2Go) and it was corrected after a few hours.

Speed tests have delivered low (below 50 ms) latencies and speeds above 50 download/25 upload. Verizon's Speed Test has latencies below 20 ms, downloads near 60, and uploads near 30 consistently. The other option, Bright House Networks, offered 90/10, 60/5, 30/2, and 10/1 internet packages. By comparison, FiOS offers me 15/5, 50/25. 75/35, 150/65, and 300/65 internet packages in my neighborhood. In the future, I plan to take advantage of FiOS built-in MOCA network to add ethernet connections to a PC in a bedroom without ethernet. Verizon has definitely made this a power user service!

Update 4/6/2014: Started having some issues with Verizon's router. Speeds were half of normal and latencies rose. Found a bad splitter, which has been eliminated. Seems like the problems have returned here a few days later. Think I may call Bright House...

Update 4/16/2014: Verizon asked for a last chance to fix the issues, they will be heading out tomorrow. We will see if we can get things back working right. Turns out the higher uploads were needed for work stuff.

member for 7.6 years, 1534 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

VashTS

Please go back to BH.

So you just had it installed and already had a bad slitter, fixed that and still having issues? If its within the first 30 days you can get a tech back out there to find and fix the issue for free. IF not then please come back to BH. You can get 90Mb down and 10Mb up. A full 10Mb up. Cant beat that anywhere.

Re: Please go back to BH.

Never had Bright House before. It's been about 8 months since I had FiOS installed and they did not want to come out to fix the issues for free. Wanted to charge me for a service call. I did have Bright House installed today (FiOS currently set to be turned off on the 10th) but having issues with connection dropping out at :28 past every hour. Nothing's perfect

@verizon.net

Re: Please go back to BH.

There you go. In a few months when you get tired of BH crap you can go back to Verizon and get everything fixed for free. Just call within the first 30 days.
mikeluscher159

join:2011-09-04

Re: Please go back to BH.

I don't like this case of Verizon's piss poor Tech support either
....But why don't you just spend the $20~ for some good quality replacement splitters? I hate saying this, but IT IS a better internet service
Customer service on the other hand (rolls eyes) isn't Big Red's strong point these days

UR a cool guy.

They used good stuff when I had it. Ur in FL to so im going to assume they used the same where you are. Things can and do go bad, maybe it was a bad one? Depends on who you get in tech support. Get a actual Verizon rep and ur good, get a contractor and ur going to have the worse time of ur life. Best of luck to you buddy.

Re: UR a cool guy.

During the Bright House install, we found that the Verizon coax connection had to be redone. Found that the builder of the house ran an extra Cat 6 ethernet out there which my Verizon installer never used. If I ever go back to FiOS, I'll suggest they use that instead of the coax.

Re: UR a cool guy.

U mean the coax Verizon used that was already in the house? Cuz thats what everyone does, use whats already there. Maybe it was bad from the beginning? Techs use coax and Moca unless you the Cat6 there, now that you know its there they can use it if you ever switch back. ALSO reading from ur review of BH witch im happy every things working there just fine, please tell me you didnt have another modem connected at the same time. You know the rules when using Fios and its on Moca? If you were maybe that was the internet issue. But thats neither here nor there, you have BH now. Good Luck!

Re: UR a cool guy.

It was a brand new house, so Verizon terminated the cabling left for them by the builder. When they put the connector on the coax, they did not attach it cleanly and it eventually slid off causing the issues. It's been corrected, so that's good.

The main Cat6 was there for internet, but the tech left it alone. He did use another Cat6 run for the phone. Verizon actually sending someone out would have solved this since it was not easily accessible to me.

The MoCA network was setup by Verizon so it didn't (I assume) interfere with the router getting data from the ONT and the connection issues affected all the devices (ethernet, wifi, and moca) at the same time. This worked well and having ethernet via coax using MoCA is a great feature!

I have BHN for now and it's working well, but having learned this makes it easier to understand why the FiOS service deteriorated like it did for me. They keep contacting me to try and get me back. It's a service, I go with the more convenient option for me, hence why I don't do contracts. The FiOS reconnection offers are pretty good, love having this level of competition!

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

Re: UR a cool guy.

Are your internet issues, wired, wireless , or both?