Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1939 reviews (1456 good) (144 bad)

Review by miataman See Profile

• Location: Chelmsford,Middlesex,MA
Good "HD quality, good, but seems to be getting "
Bad "support services (beyond abysmal) but online chat is better. .TV channels suck"
Overall "Ultimate Employee discount is dealmaker for me"

As a former VZ / BA / NYNEX / NET C.O. technician (retired) I expected more from the service side of the house. my bad.

This is an update after a year. picture is great, awaiting new sware update, so can't comment on that. Billing-wise, I'm now into my 2nd week of trying to get my bill straightened out. I replaced a non-hd stb with a hd-stb. My bill arrived and it increased by $ 120.00 !!!!!. It looks like my Ultimate Employee discount was removed, and other services added. Having spent years in the muck with them, I know what's going on. I know the only way to get it straightened out is to "keep on keepin' on". A call or two every day, perhaps a stop by the local FIOS store, I'll wear 'em down eventually!

Update: 02/11/2012....
Took 3 bill cycles to straighten out. I have actually talked myself out of adding some premiums for fear they'll mess the billing up again!

Update 12/08/2012....
Billing has been much better for at least a year, I have made changes, and all flowed smoothly thru. Cost is getting up there, but I'm loving the IPad viewing APP. took long enough to get though.
The few service issues I've had were handled smoothly via online chat.

Update 11/15/2013...
Billing has been stable, even with "One-Pay". Picture quality seems to be less of a concern on Verizon's end, and 2-tuner DVR is just about obsolete.

Update 8/15/2014...
I'm now using Quantum. Original software was deficient since it was based on an obsolete version of the non-quantum software, features were missing.
Anxiously awaited the software update to improve and re-add the missing features.
The update came, and has introduced so many bugs it is laughable.
I can't understand how it even got released, they have a focus and slow-roll group, but it's pretty apparent that NOONE beta tested this software before release. Word at Verizon is that FIASCO is happenin'.

member for 4 years, 1892 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

Update: 12/8/2012

The few service issues I've had were handled smoothly via online chat.
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

Review by CamboDK See Profile

• Location: Fairfax,Fairfax,VA
Good "Speed, Reliability"
Bad "Customer Service"
Overall "Great as long as you don't have a billing or technical issue"

Ordered the double play bundle including Internet and TV. Internet was originally 50/25, but recently was upgraded to symmetrical 50/50. My TV package was the Extreme package (300+ channels with 80+ in HD).

The order turnaround was quick and install was painless. The installer installed the Verizon box in the garage and actually took the time to do a great install. Routed the wires properly and cable management looked great. Only issue was activating my cable card. The card provided to me by the installer wasn't not in their system under my name. There system says it was inventoried in their warehouse and not even under my account. Call numerous time to get it resolved with wait times as long as an hour. They eventually sent me a replacement cable card. Customer service via phone is non-existent at the time of service install.

I've heard in the past billing issue can be a pain, but I haven't encountered any issues with my bills.

Overall, if you can get FiOS--get it, but don't expect much from their customer service department.

Comments:

Review by rexbinary See Profile

• Location: Plano,Collin,TX
Good "Fast, low latency, more bandwidth for a better price then any competitor"
Bad "None at all"
Overall "Better than any Cable or DSL connection hands down"

I've had FiOS installed since 8/1/05 and to date I have had no problems or issues with it at all. I have the 15MB down and 2MB up package.

The install took about seven hours as they had a little trouble going under the driveway with the fiber, other then that the install went smooth. They supplied a D-Link Router, but I am using an Apple AirPort Extreme router instead.

I am getting a little over the installed speeds both up and down. Gaming is very nice, on many first person shooter servers my ping is 3 or lower. I have been accused of being an admin on gaming severs because of my ping.

I am very happy with FiOS and I would recommend it to anyone that has access to it.

UPDATE 10/8/06:

After having FiOS for over one year now, I am still just as happy with the service. I have experienced no losses of service, other then one brief scheduled maintenance that was in the middle of the night during the week. I have lost power twice since FiOS was installed, and my telephone still functioned as advertised, no problem. FiOS is unmatched by any other service provider in my area.

The service uses PPPoE. Some people tend to consider this a negative, as in theory the PPPoE induces overhead to your connection causing it to be slower then say a DHCP connection. I am consistently getting my full 15MB/2MB speeds as advertised, and my latency is extremely low. Rumor has it that at some point my connection will be converted from PPPoE to DHCP, I will update my review then with any differences or lack of differences at that time if/when I am converted to DHCP.

UPDATE 8/29/07:

My service is still stellar. No outages or trouble to report, technical or billing. Still getting full speeds and low latency. No throttling or bandwidth shaping that I have detected. I am still on PPPoE, and the last I heard they decided not to convert original customers to DHCP as it was just unnecessary work and cost. I have no complaints about that at all, as it has caused me no grief of any kind. I simply cannot express how happy I am with my FiOS service.

UPDATE 4/15/08

I upgraded to the 15/15 service on 11/26/07 which costs me $59.99 a month. The service is still outstanding, and I would never purchase DSL or Cable again by choice. Still no outages to report since 8/1/05.

UPDATE 10/19/08

Everything is still working perfectly. Still running 15/15 package with my Apple AirPort router. No outages to report. To say I am pleased with the service would be an understatement.

UPDATE 8/10/09

I have upgraded to the 25/15 package. Everything is still working great and no outages to report. But on this upgrade, I having a hard time reaching my maximum bandwidth. I have called Verizon twice to verify I am provisioned correctly and I have also ran the FiOS Optimizer under their favorite operating system Windows. I am still investigating if it is an issue on my end, and I will report my results.

UPDATE 9/12/09

Lightning Strike! Sounded like a bomb went off in my backyard. Took out all the FiOS equipment plus my router, two switches, and the Ethernet port in two of my desktop PCs.

I called Verizon Friday night. They quickly concluded I would need service and scheduled a technician for Sunday morning. To my surprise the technician arrived about 7pm Saturday night. I was very pleased.

The technician said my FiOS equipment was five generations old and replaced all of it including the battery. It took him about an hour to complete the work. I replaced my old router with an Apple Time Capsule 1TB, and I replaced my old switches with Cisco 5-port 1GB switches.

I am now getting my full 25/15 speeds. I do not know what corrected the issue but it could be one of three things.

1) The ONT had never been reset since it was installed in 2005. Maybe if I had reset it, which I planned on trying, could have possibly corrected my speed issue.
2) My five generations old FiOS equipment was replaced with current equipment. Maybe my old FiOS equipment just couldn't handle those speeds.
3) My router was replaced with a much more current router. Maybe my old router couldn't handle those speeds.

It could be a combination of 2 and 3 as well. Either way, Verizon's service was outstanding. Not only am I back up and running quickly, but I am now getting my full speed.

UPDATE 3/30/10

Everything has been still working very well for the most part, but I have had three outages since all my equipment has been upgraded. That is more outages then I have had since I have had the service installed before the equipment upgrade.

All three required a call to Verizon to reset the ONT, and one call required the ONT and the dataport itself to be reset. All three times phone service was unaffected. I will ask them to investigate if I have any more issues with connectivity.

UPDATE 10/13/10

I've experienced a couple of disconnects since my last update that required recycling the ONT, but they have become rare now. I believe the newer equipment I received after the lighting strike is just not as good as my old equipment. Regardless, I am still very happy with the service. I am still getting consistent speeds and low latency.

UPDATE 5/11/11

Service is still superb. Still receiving my full speeds with no throttling or slow downs, and the same great low latency. I have still had one or two disconnects since my last update. I am convinced my current revision of ONT is just not as reliable as what I had the first few years of service. Still, I have not even considered looking at alternatives. Go FiOS Go!

UPDATE 11/17/11

Happy Thanksgiving! My FiOS is still running great. No disconnects or issues to report. Still great speedy service. No equipment changes to report. Sorry this update is so boring, but a boring update means great service in this case.

UPDATE 6/2/12

Summer time is almost here, but my FiOS is still delivering awesome speed without breaking a sweat. No outages, disconnects, or issues to report since my last update. I am still on the 25/15 tier and still getting full speed. Rumor has it new speed tiers will soon be available. I will post an update if I change tiers to let you know how it goes. As usual, I still highly recommend FiOS!

UPDATE 1/27/13

This is going to be a rather boring update, but in this case boring is good! No issues to report since my last update. No outages, no slowdowns, just great service! I have been lazy and have not yet called in to have my speed upgraded to one of the new tiers. I will make another update once I do that an let you all know how it goes!

UPDATE 7/12/13

I finally got around to upgrading my service. I went from 25Mbps/15Mbps to 75Mbps/35Mbps for $5 more a month than what I was already paying. Had I opted for 50Mbps/25Mbps it would have been the same price. I just couldn't pass up 75Mbps/35Mbps for only an extra $5 a month.

It took them a day or so to upgrade my speed. I ran Verizon's Broadband Speed Test which can be found here:

»my.verizon.com/services/speedtest/

My results: 83.79 Mbps Down and 38.39 Mbps Up

As you can see I'm getting a little 'fluff' in there with some extra speed.

No issues or outages to report at this time. I am still very happy with my service!

UPDATE 3/12/14

Another boring update.

No issues or outages to report. My FiOS just keeps chugging along.

I am looking at finally adding FiOS TV to my account. I am nervous about adding it as I have had such good luck with my service, but the show must go on! I will update with the details and the results of adding FiOS TV service once it occurs. I plan to have them retain my legacy 10Base-T install. We'll see how that goes...

UPDATE 5/1/14

FiOS TV is installed!

I placed my order online. The technician installed an Actiontec MI424WR (New Rev. I) via coax to my ONT, and re-used the existing coax wiring in the house to connect the set top boxes. I disabled the N-band wireless in the Actiontec, and connected my Apple AirPort Extreme N-band router in bridge mode.

Everything has been working fine except I noticed my DVR function was not enabled later after the install. After a lengthy phone call to Verizon, that was resolved. Apparently the set top boxes I have are so new that their support mentioned they are still learning how to deploy and administer them properly. I have no prior experience with FiOS TV to know the difference unfortunately. Internet speeds are exactly the same post TV install.

UPDATE 5/15/14

Mini-update here. I've since learned more about the equipment I received. The router is a New Rev. I Actiontec MI424WR (Dark Red Band), and I received the Quantum TV VMS and STBs.

UPDATE 6/7/14

I made a post in the Verizon Direct forum on this site and requested to be converted from PPPoE to DHCP. A short time later I noticed my router restarted, and guess what? No more PPPoE! And this was on a Saturday!! GREAT SERVICE THANK YOU VERIZON!

UPDATE 7/21/14

I just received my free upgrade to symmetric service for all FiOS residential customers. I went from 75/35 to 75/75 for free! Here are the test results from (»my.verizon.com/services/speedtest/) : 84.07 Mbps down and 86.65 Mbps up
Thank You once again Verizon!

member for 9.8 years, 4929 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

MJonas

@rr.com

5 to 7 megs

Your review is very helpful, When I called for Fios, inet only, the agent tried very hard to close me on the first call, but i wanted to research it more. He told me I can get five to seven megs for about $55 a month. But the guy said they have no other options to upgrade the speed. That is my only choice.

Seems fishy to me.
musk5

join:2005-09-22
Plano, TX

Not happy in Plano

Very unhappy today, both voice and data have been down 14 hrs+ so far ...have received two estimates for neiborhood issue to get resolved and both not met. (even received an automated voicemail 8 hrs ago indicating incorrectly issue had been resolved. What if I had to make a 911 call from fios data line?

Have received conflicting information from my 3 calls to customer support. Hope resolved soon
ExtremeRFR

join:2005-05-13
West New York, NJ

Question about your router

I have FiOS TV, Internet, & Phone and I also have my Time Capsule as my router instead of using the Verizon Router for wireless access. How can I disable N wireless so there's no interference with the wireless network from my Time Capsule?

I would appreciate your help. Thank you

Review by iwnt14me See Profile

• Location: Chesapeake,Chesapeake City,VA
Good "NOTHING BETTER IN THIS AREA"
Bad "None at this time"
Overall "Beats Cox's Communications Hands Down"

UPDATED 08/06/2014

FIOS working great tested media server and returned due to tivo preference. I now have a 150/150 package as part of triple play. I have 2 tivo roamio's pro, 2 sling boxes, 4 mini's, and one vulkano and have no streaming issues. in near future may test the 500/500 offering. the down time has been none so overall I am happy.

************************************************************************************************

Updated 02/26/2009

I have the 20/20 package and have added a sling box as well. I have had no service outages for any of the triple play services. I have personally converted most of my apartment complex to FIOS. I know that in my complex we are now working on our forth splitter and when ever i see a moving truck I have no problems sharing my bad Cox's experiences and what a great service FIOS is.

Updated 08/24/2008

Been almost three months and have only had one issue and that was a result of Tivo. Verizon pushed their new HD channels and realigned almost all of their channels in the process. So for one evening my 7 Tivos recorded some strange programs. I have upgraded to the 20 / 20. I have managed to convinced 21 people so far in my complex to drop Cox and go to this service. The picture quality is unreal. I also used the refer a friend option with my neighbors and have received the maximum of 12 each $50.00 gift checks that I can apply to my bill. That means at this rate my first 6 months are costing me about $24.00 a month which is a steal. On all of my speed tests i have exceeded the 20 / 20. If your are in the Newport News, Virginia area and can get Fios I say drop Cavalier, Cox, Directv. I have only had Cox's service and it was in most cases worse then Charter and Suddenlink. I have had no billing issues to date and when I have called in the people I have spoken to were nice and quite knowledgeable.

***********************************************************************************************Ordered the triple play on Thursday May 28 around lunch time. and was given an install date of May 29th time window of 8-12. I was like wow technician showed up at my door at 10 am called me about an hour before to let me know his arrival time. This is in a MDU and form the time the work started in the MDU to my activation was 4 weeks plus. He did an excellent job installing ONT and running the required wires in the MDU. I was very impressed. He set up all three of my HD Tivos with cable cards single stream since they apparently dont have dual stream cards yet here. That was only draw back I had to take 6 single stream cards. I will contact the business office to see if they dual stream and if any one knows please hit me up and tell me. Overall I wish I had this 18 months ago Cox's service here in the MDU was really bad and they did not care. I plan to go door to door and let me neighbors know and come in look at the HD. Took 15/15 data plan

10/21/2011 FIOS 35/35 No problems with service worked great through hurricane. I did have a router die this week and I jumped on an open network connection and worked with the online help group and was done in 10 minutes.

02/03/2013 update

Fios has been outstanding and they seem to have corrected their customer service issue / billing issues so it has only gotten better. I also know that they have started to overlay more area in the hampton roads area with fios

upgraded to quantum 150/65 process took less than 2 hours. test well above advertised speeds as always verizon fios superior for just $7.50 more a week.

Comments:

isp10002

join:2012-10-24

^.^

Id love to see some speed tests.

Review by mikev See Profile

• Location: Leesburg,Loudoun,VA
Good "Rock-solid internet connection, no TV issues"
Bad "Slow internet speeds offered in my MDU"
Overall "A great service that is worth every penny."

·Callcentric
I have nothing but good things to say about Verizon FiOS for nearly every aspect of their service. Internet service was always available, TV signals were good and reliable, and everything worked.

The only area I will complain about is the fact that they have old equipment in the MDU building I live in, and the maximum speed I could get from them is 30Mbps down. I only opted for 20Mbps because I was getting 25Mbps from it, but when I upgraded to 30, I only got 28Mbps. When your competitor is offering 50, or even 100, Mbps down, 20 or 30 seems like nothing. If they ever get around to upgrading their equipment so I can get faster speeds, I'll definitely consider switching back. But for now, the competitor has my business.

member for 12.5 years, 803 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by batsona See Profile

• Location: Ellicott City,Howard,MD
Good "4ms to VZ gateway is great!"
Bad "Price is creeping up...."
Overall "It's the most stable for the price, but price is eql to cable now."

·Vonage
I'm glad I'm with FiOS; this makes more sense than Comcast. Pages zip around faster than before, even tho I have 5MB downstream vs. 6MB with comcast; the difference is having 2MB upstream instead of 384K. It makes all the difference. It took 27 days between order, and use-of-service, becuase the gentleman said they were very backed up in the area with 2-3 installs per day. I ordered the 5000/2000 service.

Cable tech arrived 10 days before the inside guy; they had plenty of 'fun' trying to fish my line thru all the trees under the telephone poles; the guy had to call for help right before he drove from Howard county back to Anne Arrundl county to get a 500' legnth of Corning Fiber. I pulled the copper out of my basement & wire-tied it outside, then pulled the ~40' spare feet of fiber he left outside into the basement & wire-tied it so it looked nice 'n professional-like. I have a basement-located ONT.

The installer was very nice & got the job done quickly. He suffered a 30 min setback where there was no light on the fiber. He had to drive around the block & scamper up a pole to re-seat my connection at the tap, which did the trick. Another 30 min, and I was up and running. I have Vonage svc, and turned off my VZ pots lines, so there was no voice to deal with.

PS-- The increase in upstream speed, from 384K to 2MBit is what does the trick. I'd read lots of whitepapers about poor WAN performance when the 'return-path' for the packets is constrained. You can have all the bandwidth in the world downstream, but if you have a tiny upstream, you can set your TCPreceiveWindow to 10-million, and it won't do you any good. A good clear upstream makes 5MBit FiOS run faster than 6Mbit Comcast.

Good, stable, fast, and less expensive than the "incumbant".

_________________________________________

Update 8/15/2008: Still good service. No downtime that I can remember since installation! The original base price of $35/month is now at $44.99/month. Even if it were equal with cable-based service (CMCST), it's still be a better deal. Fiber-delivery beats RF hands down.

__________________________________________

Update 1/20/2010: Service still good. The price has come up to equal that of Cablemodem now. However, FiOS is the better service, so if price were equal, I'd still pull the trigger on FiOS.

_______________________________________

Update 3/20/2011: Service still good. Dropped the price by about $10 a month by negotiating a new bundle with 15/5 Internet. A month after that, I found I had 20/5 w/o doing anything. If you discount the fact that very popular sites slow down at nite (youtube, facebook), the service is still plenty speedy!

_____________________________________________

Update 2/6/2012: Service still good. Price is equal to similar bandwidth tier among most other providers, but the differentiator is still fiber optics. It's still a superior and resilient transport. Now on 15/5 plan, which has been padded to 20/5. I'm getting the 20/5 speed consistantly.

_________________________________________

Update 1/19/14: I recently upgraded to 50/25 service. I can max out at about 60/30 or so with the 'fluff'. Quality is good; everything works, email is good. too bad prices keep creeping up and up and up over the years.... Have not needed tech support for anything luckily. Took out the ActionTec device, in favor of a Juniper SRX100 firewall. This was not because of a problem related to actiontec, I'm learning Juniper for my employer, and was given a demo-unit!

________________________________________

Update 8/2/14 - 50/25 still going strong.. 60downstream and 40upstream inclusive of fluff. Never needed tech support in the last so-many months.

Comments:

Review by destroyah See Profile

• Location: Norwalk,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Steady 84/40 speeds using the Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. I"
Bad "Occasional peering issues cause random slowdowns and packet loss, especially to Netflix and Youtube."
Overall "Still a good overall price, though it feels that we are paying for the east coasts low prices."

Ordered: December 23, 2007

Installed: January 07, 2008

Running at proper speeds on: January 09, 2008

Other than the hurtles that I went through in the beginning with the Actiontec's poor firmware, it has been an excellent internet only service. I ended up getting one of the Motorola B-PON ONT's, though I wish it was one of the newer G-PON models.

Consistently get 14.5-14.8 on the download, and 14.5-17.1 on the upload, and that's with my D-Link DIR-655 with Beta 39 firmware connected through ethernet.

Will update once the 20/20 upgrade goes through.

Here's to hoping it will survive the 100+ degree with high humidity summer temps here in California.

A special mention here for James, one of the Fiber Network Field technicians, who helped with the four hour install along with his work crew of three. They did a clean, efficient install. After installing a modular ethernet jack that wasn't properly pumping out 15 mb/s, as it should be, he then came by a day or two later and replaced it. It's been working properly since that day.

Edit: Called on Monday, the 23rd of June, to inquire about the free upgrade to 20/20. Billing was very knowledgeable about the upgrade, and a order was put in for the upgrade. I was told it would take effect on the following day at 4:00PM. Lo and behold, on the following day at around 1:00PM, downloads increased to 19.3-19.6 mb/s. Upload was down to about 8 mb/s, so I rebooted the router. That didn't fix the problem, so a couple of power cycles of the ONT later, and my full speed became a reality.

I'm very happy with the upgrade, and latency seems to have gone down as a bonus.

Edit: October 15, 2008 - So far reliability has been ok, though I'm going to dock some points off, since every once in a while the upload is being throttled for some reason (ie. 23.6-23.8 goes down to about 10 mb/s. No clue why this is happening, but a total shutdown and restart of the ONT fixes this, after two or three tries. It may be the terrible heat we have in California right now. ;P

Edit: January 07, 2009 - I'm docking 1 more point from reliability, since I had to reset the ONT a couple of times for the last week of December since my upload was dropping down to my previous DSL levels. Since I'm not the only one using the connection (there are a couple of PC's in my household), this hampers my own experience on my PC. I just hope VZ stops sending adjustments to the ONT, since I'm almost 100 % positive that is the reason for the occasional problems, since both phone and internet run well the rest of the time.

Value for the money was dropped down 1 point for the above mentioned trouble.

Edit: August 03, 2014 - An update is in order for the amount of time that has passed since my last update. Speed upgrades that have gone by include a jump to 25/25 speeds, then down to 25/15, and then to 50/25 since Quantum tiers have been available. This past year, around November, my ONTs trusty BBU finally failed after almost 6 years of service. VZ was able to dispatch someone within 72 hours, and they installed a current model, along with a new battery, and everything has been running fine and dandy with the same Motorola 1000-m BPON ONT.

Since my two year contract was in the process of expiring in July, around June the 16th, I decided to check if VZ could throw me a bone, and give me any renewal offers around the same price point. I ended up jumping up to 75/35 for only about 5 more bucks plus taxes. With the current push by VZ to upgrade all tiers to symmetrical speeds, I shall update my review when I hopefully get the free upgrade in the next couple of weeks to 75/75.

member for 9.6 years, 3421 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Acct101 See Profile

• Location: Bensalem,Bucks,PA
Bad "Never showed up to install Fios and never called"

·T-Mobile US
Verizon was supposed to be here between 8 and 11 am. Never showed. I called at 12:30 and they said they ran into a problem and wanted me to reschedule.

Thanks for being pro-active and calling in the morning, Instead I had to sit around and wait for nothing.

member for 3.1 years, 530 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by gower2352 See Profile

• Location: Laurel,Prince Georges,MD
Good "SuperFast, Easy to Make Changes, Billing Seems Good Thus Far"
Bad "Nothing at moment "
Overall "Sign up online if your home is already wired and you'll get a great deal!"

Order the ultimate package. Ordered online and got some really great credits for the 24 months period. Also ordered all the movies channels I could have. Install was super easy since my apartment was already pre-wired. Got the new Quantum TV service.

Comments:

Review by rasmusjc See Profile

• Location: Southlake,Tarrant,TX

I have the Verizon FIOS Triple Play Bundle with Quantum 75/35 speeds. Not much to tell other than service has been great.