Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1927 reviews (1455 good) (140 bad)

Review by NyNexit See Profile

• Location: Huntington,Suffolk,NY
Good "Speed"
Bad "service... billing... giant box on the house."
Overall "suck it up and switch."

I've got to admit, I've been putting off switching to Fios for a while because of the contracts, legendary terrible customer service.and infamous billing problems.

The speed of the service is great.... the rude guy walking around my property inspecting the install not so great. Then the first bill didn't have the correct credits. 30 min on the phone corrected that. So no finally everything works and the rate is good if you are a new customer. yin-yang

Comments:

Review by JTRockville See Profile

• Location: Rockville,Montgomery,MD
Good "Professional install, reliable, EXCELLENT support"
Overall "GET FiOS - it's PERFECT"

Update November 29, 2010

FiOS is solid as a rock. I've experienced only one or two outages over the years - once a main fiber line was damaged by a construction crew, and once my router died. In both cases, the problem was quickly identified and fixed. FiOS support is top-notch, but I rarely need to call. It's so nice to have a lightning fast connection that always works. FiOS reliability simply can't be beat.

Update: December 18, 2007

I'm still absolutely delighted with FiOS. I haven't had any down-time whatsoever. The service just simply works. No tweaking, no tinkering with DNS, no need to monitor my usage since the service has no caps (super-secret or otherwise), no crippling of certain protocols. I highly recommend it to everyone who can get it.

Original review: March 9, 2007

I was somewhat reluctant to switch from my current network provider - I had subscribed to a dedicated, guaranteed connection. But everyone I talked to who had FiOS loved it. Not one complaint was ever uttered by anyone I know. So I tried it.

WOW - FiOS meets all of my needs, and then some. Rock-solid and lightening fast. What's not to love?

Thanks Verizon!

member for 12.5 years, 2520 visits, last login: 226 days ago

Comments:

Review by Agent Smith See Profile

• Location: New York
Good "Price is good only around 185$ a month.."

I love it !

So its currently april 1st 2010 and no sign of slowdowns since i had FIOS since March 3rd 2009 always happy now from cable.

member for 6.1 years, 1110 visits, last login: 1.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by musox See Profile

Good "All Good"
Bad "none"
Overall "get it"

It's the best. Get it.

Comments:

Review by jackamus See Profile

• Location: Tampa,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Speed, Picture, Techs"
Bad "None so far...."
Overall "Great service, great price."

So far my experience has been awesome. I switched the service from Bright House Networks over to FiOS after finding it to be available at my home. The install was LONG but well worth it. The first tech got sick and head to leave. They sent out two others later that day it took a total of nearly 10 hours but it got done in one day. I was able to use my own router with no issues. The internet speeds are great, stable, fast and reliable. The phone service is great as well. No issues. I was even able to port my number and it took all of a few moments to do . I was very pleased. Was able to use my home phone. During install I still had my BHN service and used it till the cut over. That took all of 5 minutes. So my downtime was very small. The TV service is just awesome. Bright, clear, stunning HD picture. I have two TiVo premiere boxes and I had to get two M-Stream cable cards. They work great. UNLIKE BHN's. With those I had to have the card and a digital tuning adapter. Also locking up my TiVo and having to reboot. So far with FiOS, no problems. I hope it stays that way. So far, my billing also has been perfect. I haven't had any billing problems. I hope my second bill comes out right. I had bad billing from companies. I'll update more if needed, but so far, so good!

Comments:

Review by hbreg See Profile

• Location: Feasterville Trevose,Bucks,PA
Good "Tech arrived within 30 minutes of the open window. Install went flawlessly"
Overall "So far worth the swtich"

Have been with Comcast for 25 years. Have many friends and co-workers who have FiOS and have done nothing but rave about it. Finally when it was available in our development I jumped all over it. Got the triple-play with Extreme HD, 35/35 internet and digital voice. Tech was fast, clean and knowledgeable. Router was easy to configure to get two other computers in our house networked. So far I am very happy with FiOS.

member for 13.7 years, 3191 visits, last login: 100 days ago

Comments:

Review by Toppil See Profile

• Location: Audubon,Camden,NJ
Good "Stable, always full bandwidth, provided router reliable and full-featured for the average user"

Good service that's been reliable from day one. The provided router (Actiontec) is full-featured and for the average user, will provide all the router features needed.

Comments:

Review by kdwycha See Profile

• Location: Riverview,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Speed, Reliability, and Can Use Own Router"
Bad "Customer Support Is Horrible"
Overall "As long as you are tech savy and dont need support it is great :)"

·Bright House
UPDATE 11/19/2010 -

Well it has been quite a few years with FiOS and everything is still rock solid. I have not had an outage since the last report in 2008. TV works well as well. I did have to have the Actiontec replaced twice but that is only used for TV anyway. Internet did not go down since I only use my router and it only effected the program guide on the TV for a couple of days. They always next day air a new actiontech so you are always in business.

UPDATE 06/22/2008 -
Internet still going strong without 1 outtage after 241 days. Still on the 10/2 plan and it works flawlessly.

Just got FiOS TV and setup went well. Im using CAT5 from the ONT to my router D-Link DIR655 then have that going to the MI-424R. Installer wasnt too keen on that but VOD and multiroom DVR work so he had me explain how to use my own router. Anyway TV service is the same as directv but a little cheaper.

Phone service is ...well phone service. Beats vonage anyday..at least there is a dialtone everytime i pick it up

All in all a must have

-------

Well it took about 30 days from order to install. Install went fine and took about 2 hours for cat5 install for internet and phone. Install was actually done 5 days before it was supposed to so I received a bill for almost 100 dollars for long distance charges. After 3 hours on the phone I finally got that credited. Other then customer support I have not had a problem using my own D-Link DIR-655 router with the service. Have had the same IP for almost 2 months. Connection never went down. I have the 10/2 plan. Get over 10mb/s down and about 1800kb/s up.

member for 11.5 years, 2796 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dick white See Profile

• Location: Annandale,Fairfax,VA
Good "Works very well if you know how to work around the stuff that doesn't"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "good"

The "sales" people know nothing about what is really going to happen. The on-site install techs are very good, but had to overcome shortcomings from elsewhere (drop from the pole not buried before the install date, upstream hub not set up correctly). The service billing is quad-play (TV/2 phone lines/internet/3 cell phones), hence the monster monthly charge, but it's actually a better overall value than anything else we could get. Despite the reputation for bad billing, ours has been correct so far.

Update - renewed for another 2-years of basic tier quad-play at an attractive discount, but with their typical unconscionable early termination fees. I luckily never had any of the billing issues that VZ is infamous for. They got the bill right the first time and I am terrified of calling them about anything lest they completely fuck it up in the process of resolving some other unrelated matter. Fortunately, I haven't had a need to call them about anything.

Further Update - still no problems, working well, good speeds (lowest tier is faster than I need).

member for 14.4 years, 5394 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by kaos333 See Profile

• Location: Elkridge,Howard,MD
Good "Fast, reliable, and price competitive."
Overall "The best in the region. Get it."

Excellent product. It beats the competition (Comcast) on every level. If you are in the Baltimore Washington Corridor there is nothing better.

Update 11/17/10 - Still with FIOS, still loving it. I upgraded to the 35/35 tier internet plan and it is truly a wonderful experience. I stream HD movies without issue. It just works.